Parish
04-22-2008, 08:03 PM
The World Ends With You
Jupiter/Square Enix | Fashion Action | DS | 2008

Wake up, leave your hesitation
Wake up, time for us to realize
Wake up, show appreciation
Wake up, time for us to realize

First week discussion here. Trade fashion tips!

SamuelMarston
04-22-2008, 08:09 PM
How are clothes affected when they are in or out of style? I've seen the effect on pins, but I don't quite get what's going on with my threads.

Gredlen
04-22-2008, 08:10 PM
You know your clothes are out of style when the high school girls laugh at you and mothers tell their children not to point.

pence
04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I'll be picking this up tomorrow along with Persona 3 FES, and I'm all kinds of excited to see what kinds of stupid outfits I can put on. My ultimate goal: a gothic lolita outfit for the male lead, some kind of black dress with a lacy frock.

Perhaps I have said too much.

Parish
04-22-2008, 09:36 PM
I'm honestly disappointed that the character sprites don't reflect clothing choices. Not that I'd want to see Neku in my ultimate outfit (which involved hot pants and a bikini top).

Merus
04-22-2008, 10:02 PM
what

what is the point of this then if the entire game revolves around clothes

mopinks
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
the clothes are a mere satellite orbiting the planet music, man

I'm always excited when I meet a new enemy, just so I can see the retarded music pun they crammed into its name!

J Popguin 4 life

Ostrich
04-22-2008, 11:08 PM
Oh man, I can actually participate in a Fun Club thread for once! Huzzah!

I just got it this afternoon. I tried trading in some games to soften the blow the Square-Enix tax would have given to my wallet. And it worked! I only had to shell out twenty bucks.

So I'm liking the game so far from the hour I played into it. We need Square to make more games like this, seriously.

Clothes haven't become a big part of the game for me quite yet, but I think they were about to as soon as I turned it off to head to work. We'll just have to find out tonight I guess.

Parish
04-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Oh yeah -- be sure to turn off your DS when you're not playing. Don't just put it to sleep. You get PP for your skills while the game is turned off.

Merus
04-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Oh yeah -- be sure to turn off your DS when you're not playing. Don't just put it to sleep. You get PP for your skills while the game is turned off.
New mass transit game for Merus confirmed. My DS sees 40 minutes play every day: 20 minutes on the bus to work, 20 minutes back.

Octopus Prime
04-23-2008, 03:47 AM
I'm honestly disappointed that the character sprites don't reflect clothing choices. Not that I'd want to see Neku in my ultimate outfit (which involved hot pants and a bikini top).

This one statement almost squashes all my desire to play the game. It doesn't squash it, but it comes close.

...actually it doesn't come close either. But I AM disappointed.

WreckTheLaw
04-23-2008, 06:25 AM
This one statement almost squashes all my desire to play the game. It doesn't squash it, but it comes close.

...actually it doesn't come close either. But I AM disappointed.

Up until forty minutes ago I thought that it would be reflected. But then Shiki wasn't wearing the gothic lolita bonnet that I bought for her at all! Whatevs, leaves something for the sequel (or potential wii version? Rumors start here folks.)

So, question. Other than food, how does one go about upping bravery?

Parish
04-23-2008, 08:02 AM
Just food, pretty much. Or other consumables... later on, you'll find the drug stores have items that barely affect hunger and sync but greatly increase HP or Bravery.

The lack of updated sprites is a shame but understandable... sprites require massively more effort to reskin than 3D models.

Dadgum Roi
04-23-2008, 08:11 AM
Do the pins work as traditional RPG power-up items, or do they have a mechanical effect on the battle system, a la Paper Mario?

Parish
04-23-2008, 10:18 AM
They vary wildly, tending more toward active powers. But some are passive effect skills that grant you more uses of a single pin before needing to recharge, or that make healing more effective. Most are pure attack skills.

Many clothes also have passive effects on battles. Some grant specific characters more HP, some make the light ball travel back and forth at a different speed, some make it easier for your partner to complete matches for combo attacks. I said in my review that it's insanely customization-friendly, and I meant it!

fanboymaster
04-23-2008, 10:44 AM
I haven't read much about this game other then the reviews in EGM but the topics being discussed have made me want to get it purely because I need to see how this all works in context.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 10:55 AM

I was thinking this outside of 410.

Q: How many carts would it take to give the sprites dynamic equipment?

A: I don't care how many carts. I would have bought this game in installments in that case.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 10:56 AM
So, question. Other than food, how does one go about upping bravery?

It seems that the more clothes I force Phones into the higher his bravery gets. Also, leveling up?

sraymonds
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM
I'm having the damnedest of times with the combat. I can't concentrate on two screens at once. :(

Chaining battles together sure is fun though.

WreckTheLaw
04-23-2008, 11:39 AM
It seems that the more clothes I force Phones into the higher his bravery gets. Also, leveling up?

Cool, thanks.

The main character starts off as quite the loner douche, but we’re never expected to like him for that characteristic. In fact, one of the things I find really likable is that in the first few days (I’m on the very end of the third day now), Shiki is the one who talks to everyone for you, while you sulk off in a corner like a baby. Little by little it seems that Neku, the PC, is coming to understand what it means to be relied upon, and to trust others. I can guess that by the end of the game he'lla well liked, and fully fleshed out character.

The pin/clothing system is great. The game has made me rethink my take on grinding. I still hate games where grinding is required to progress (see, all of those square games I’ve skipped over the past few years), but I don’t mind it when grinding is available just to let you get better at the game, and to reward you when have accomplished something difficult. I also appreciate that the “grind” isn’t random, that in order for non-story combat to happen, you have to start it. Coupled with the fact that you can make the game more difficult to increase your rewards, it creates a very sharp risk-reward system that is just daring you to try a fight you know you shouldn’t be able to win. Good stuff.

Oh, and the music? Phat like a philly cheesesteak.

StriderDL
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
So we're liking this? Liking it enough to drop $40 even though I just plunked down for P3-FES yesterday, and with a Gamefly subscription?

Or, perhaps more importantly, is this going to become something I won't be able to buy down the road, and I'd best buy the thing now? What say the Arch Council?

poetfox
04-23-2008, 03:18 PM
So, has anyone figured out how evolving pins work? I've got this one that just keeps evolving (Now it's a Sexy Beam!) but others which haven't, even though they're maxed out... I wonder if there's some secret system I'm not aware of or if it really is just random, and I should keep using the pins I like and hope they evolve to stronger forms.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 04:33 PM
So we're liking this? Liking it enough to drop $40 even though I just plunked down for P3-FES yesterday, and with a Gamefly subscription?

Or, perhaps more importantly, is this going to become something I won't be able to buy down the road, and I'd best buy the thing now? What say the Arch Council?

It's good. I plunked down the cash even with FES and I'm really glad I did.

I don't know how hard it is going to be to find. I personally don't think it will become all that scarce.

Octopus Prime
04-23-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm a few hours into it and I'm enjoying what I've seen so far. The Battle SYstem is going to take some getting used to though. Luckily the computer seems pretty apt at handling Shiki compared to me, so I can just focus on lighting things on fire via the miracle of pyrokinetics.

Also: Throwing cars at rats.

SilentSnake
04-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Well I officially suck at summoning fire. Can only to get it done half the time. But lightning is just gravy as is chucking stuff at enemies. Also, I can't get over how incredibly good the audio is. The battle theme is sooooo good. Fully voiced BGM is really great too. More RPGs should start doing this. It just takes the game to a new level. The two-screen mechanic is a lot to get used to, and so far I'm only just following the puck, but I can synchronize a little sometimes. I will probably get better with time, but it really is so different than the norm. And its from Square Enix! I hope they keep this up.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 06:14 PM
While you're focusing your attention on Neku, you can still command your partner without looking. Mashing left or right will keep you attacking, and you can always push down to block.

I haven't really played around with Blocking much, so I don't know if you can just hold it down to keep blocking.

I'm gradually getting better at this, and I really do enjoy the combat system.

SilentSnake
04-23-2008, 06:19 PM
Holy crap you can block?! Geez I need to pay more attention.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Holy crap you can block?! Geez I need to pay more attention.

Eventually you'll get a sticker that will allow you to jump with directional pad-up. I believe this boosts attack power, but I'm not sure if it helps you dodge or not.

Octopus Prime
04-23-2008, 06:42 PM
and you can always push down to block.

Would have been nice for that to be mentioned ingame.

Deets
04-23-2008, 06:50 PM
It definitely is mentioned in-game (I have a sticker describing how to block, and you don't get stickers without them appearing in the top-screen w/description at some point). Maybe you haven't gotten it yet?

Pins won't evolve if you don't meet certain criteria for pp, which are altogether mysterious. You'll notice that there are different colored bars for each pin's experience meter - blue is for pp gained through combat, green is from turning the game off and waiting, and red is for mingling with other dses. Some pins won't evolve unless they have the right kinds of pp.

SilentSnake
04-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Okay I just looked at the manual and I had no idea the top screen combos were actually choosing fusion cards to build to a team attack. I just mashed whatever came to my head. Things just got more complicated.

Little Sampson
04-23-2008, 07:01 PM
I haven't gotten the game yet, but the soundtrack has been on endless loop around these parts for a while.

locit
04-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Right, so, is anyone else terrified of Shiki's razor-sharp hip bones?

ted2000aed
04-24-2008, 06:29 AM
Crap...I think I only put mine to sleep.

Either way, after 30 minutes, I'm still having fun trying to figure out both screens at the same time. Did I mention it's really cool that you can throw a car around? This game is doing a lot of stuff very well, I'm quite excited.

BTW, as for rarity, around my parts the Gamestops are only getting the number of pre-orders plus one or two. I managed to get the last one, so I don't know how this will end up long term. Amazon is always good about keeping stuff in stock.

pence
04-24-2008, 07:51 AM
I'm playing this game with the wikipedia page about Shibuya open. It's like a (not terribly rigorous) social studies lesson; now I not only know who Hachiko is, but I know that there is a movie about Hachiko coming out in 2008!

tomservojr
04-24-2008, 09:16 AM
Crap...I think I only put mine to sleep.

I thought the same thing, but you don't actually get the EXP gains until you get the pin that unlocks that feature. You should get it fairly soon.

Egarwaen
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Finished Day 2. Man, this game is actually pretty challenging. I got owned by the statue/Reaper combo at the end of the day a couple times until I got the hang of the combat system. I'm keeping both players on 6 second automatic - I know that if I get used to just playing one and ignoring the other, I'llhave a hard time changing it. The puck thing works really well to keep my attention bouncing back and forth, though.

The manual mentions that up and down are jump and block, respectively. I haven't noticed them having any effect other than navigating the combo map thing. Do I need a specific sticker or something to enable these?

Pseudonym
04-24-2008, 01:39 PM
I picked this up on Tuesday and played quite a bit yesterday afternoon. Combat really clicked once I got a larger selection of pins. Focusing on the top and the bottom confused me at first, but eventually I figured out that just mashing left or right a bunch nets me a combo attack often enough. So now I'm scribbling and mashing away! Evolving pins is still a bit of a mystery to me.

I find the thoughts you can read pretty amusing. I cracked up at the Ouendan thought bubble!

The mingle mode sounds pretty neat, but I haven't given it a proper shot yet. I find the concept of these transmit modes that are in DS games all the damn time pretty cool, but in practice they are useless. I'm never going to randomly find someone who is playing the same game as me and who happens to be searching at the same time. But this game gets data from any game! I'm still not going to run into anything randomly, but thanks for making the effort Square-Enix! What's with the Aliens though? Are they stray wifi signals? Cell phones? That could be pretty cool.

...Also, the shorts on the girls in this game disturb me. A bit too low cut!

All in all, fun times!

Octopus Prime
04-24-2008, 05:08 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who wished that Shiki would put some pants on.

Not only am I puzzled at how that thing stays up, I'm also freaked right the hell out by her hips.

pence
04-24-2008, 05:20 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who wished that Shiki would put some pants on.

Not only am I puzzled at how that thing stays up, I'm also freaked right the hell out by her hips.

If she trips and falls? That's going to be a trip to the hospital.

Edit: Day 3, as soon as I found out about Imprinting Memes, I got the goofiest grin on my face, picturing an army of Japanese teenagers hovering over us, unseen, whispering 'lolcats'. Over and over.

SilentSnake
04-24-2008, 06:04 PM
So now I'm on Day 4 and have learned about trends and brands. I didn't know pins had brands, but I'm wondering if the brands of the clothes have any effect as well. Do they?

pence
04-24-2008, 10:36 PM
The way this game keeps yo-yoing back and forth between a playful, youthful tone and poignant, tragic moments is quite excellent. I just fucked with a teenage girl's fortune telling game!

This is clearly the logical extension of The Haunting Starring Polterguy.

Jakanden
04-25-2008, 12:59 AM
I put about an hour into this last night and I am really digging it although Neku is a total douchebag and I just want him to die.

Re: Blocking...

Would have been nice for that to be mentioned ingame.

I agree. The battles haven't been too hard or anything, but that would have been nice to know! It may be in the manual but I Gamefly'd it so I didn't get one.

The whole top screen, bottom screen battle thing is too much for me so I ended up turning the top character on auto-fight and have just been focusing on Neku.

Merus
04-25-2008, 04:43 AM
Wow. This is definitely a Nomura game, but... the plot makes a lick of sense, the battle system is deep and engaging, all the incidental mechanics seem reasonably thought out... creepy.

Also, it's a Square Enix game that's out in Australia without Square Enix tax in time for Fun Club... also creepy.

I'm on Day 5 right now, on Normal. Well worth dropping it down to Easy until you get the hang of Shiki on the top screen, and you will have to because Day 5 teaches you about drop rates and chaining - which are dependent on what skill level you're playing. I haven't worked out why you'd want to dial back your character level yet. Shiki's easy enough once you get some defense and HP - the key is that you can mash left/right to do an attack, but that won't get you the sync move. To get the sync move, you look at the cards at the top, and try to get the covered card on the right. If you get the wrong on, it'll tell you where in the sequence that card is. If you get a card, you get one star; getting it first time gets you two. Four stars (and then +1 each time you do it until you get out of battle) gets you the sync move, which is invaluble when chaining because it hits every enemy, killing a bunch of them, and I think it heals you too. Chaining and using Shiki nets you the mad cash moneys, which is really useful for digging into the shops.

Trends don't seem to do much other than to get you to switch up sets. The shopkeepers have been more interesting, but it's rare that they have anything I can use, as I don't know how to raise my bravery other than through food, and there's no shops that sell bravery food in Day 5.

Apparently I can evolve the yen pins. Anyone found out how that works?

Jakanden
04-25-2008, 05:18 AM
I am on Day 3 playing on Normal myself. I am digging the game quite a bit more than I thought I would although I am still keeping Shiki on full-auto. I am too lazy to get the hang of that dual combat thing.

Merus
04-25-2008, 06:03 AM
I am on Day 3 playing on Normal myself. I am digging the game quite a bit more than I thought I would although I am still keeping Shiki on full-auto. I am too lazy to get the hang of that dual combat thing.
Enjoy grinding for yen pins on day 5!

Jakanden
04-25-2008, 06:30 AM
If it gets on my nerves too much, I will just send it back to gamefly. I have plenty of other games I want to replay to worry about it.

On the subject of Blocking, it doesn't seem to work for me. Is this an ability that you gain later on?

Also, the concept of "Leave off the DS for days to raise PP" is quite exploitable. Just to see what would happen, I turned my DS forward 7 days and then started my game back and sure enough, all my equipped pins got mastered. I didn't save the game, but that is a pretty easy exploit.

mopinks
04-25-2008, 07:14 AM
On the subject of Blocking, it doesn't seem to work for me. Is this an ability that you gain later on?

I believe so! I don't remember exactly when, but it's pretty early on.

man, I've got so many money pins I don't even know what to do with them all. I wasn't even going out of my way to grind or anything! chaining battles is just so damned lucrative.

VorpalEdge
04-25-2008, 07:22 AM

Probably. You do get a sticker for it later on, and if you can't do it now, I assume that means you need the sticker.

And yeah, the game does throw a ton of money at you. Which could be good or bad, since the shops are so diverse that you really don't know what's best to spend your money on. Don't cash in your pins until you want to buy something, however - some of the Reaper wall-lowering fetch quests involve bringing them X amount of pins.

Jakanden
04-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Don't cash in your pins until you want to buy something, however - some of the Reaper wall-lowering fetch quest involve bringing them X amount of pins.

BAH! I already cashed all mine in! I will keep them from now on though. Thanks for the tip.

SamuelMarston
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
I keep one of every money pin I find. I'll figure out how to evolve those suckers someday.

I believe you can equip them, funny that.

tomservojr
04-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Playing through the early stages of Day 5 right now. I really love this game. My favorite feature is probably the level slider - has any game included something like that before, where you can scale back your level to increase loot drops? It's a little piece of genius, and it makes grinding a lot more interesting. I'm somewhere around level 10 right now, scaled back to level 4, and after chaining three encounters, I got about a dozen different money pins.

I'd definitely suggest taking the time to practice combat on both screens - when the green puck slides from one screen to the next, focus on hitting combos on that screen. Once you get the hang of it, battles get much easier.

Octopus Prime
04-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Regarding Money Pins:
By the end of Day 7, my wallet was overflowing and my invetory was stuffed to overflowing with currently unsuable Love Beams and Yen Pins.

I'm guessing there's some variety of requirements to making Pins evolve, since maxing out their levels doesn't seem to do the job all the time.

Egarwaen
04-25-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow, I'm really enjoying this game. The two-screen combat is curiously compelling, though it occasionally gets annoying. I wish I could set it to dodge automatically on the screen I'm not actively controlling or something. Needing to monitor for and avoid attacks on both screens is a real pain. Oddly, grinding is pretty fun once you get the ability to nab several Noise at once. And the pins give a nice variety to attacks. Some bits even seem almost adventure game-y, like Day #3.

SilentSnake
04-25-2008, 05:58 PM
Okay now I'm on Day 5 and I can make several definitive observations about the game. The combat system is a complete typhoon of activity, but I've gotten used to it. The bottom screen reminds me of the Okami battles when you used brushstrokes to use your abilities, except everything is dictated by the stylus. Add to that the top screen button presses and it becomes a bit busy. I really enjoy battles, but it never crossed over to utter joy where I can't wait to get into battles. I suspect that it is partially because my eyes dart between both screens at such a frantic pace that I can't stop and appreciate the battles. Don't get me wrong, though. It's still a hoot. I do love it. It just is held back by its own clusterfuckery a bit. Also, battling one at a time became very easy very quickly, even after adjusting to level one. I'm very happy I can now chain noise.

Suprisingly, my favorite parts of the game are shopping for stuff. The trend system, bravery points, brand names, noise chaining, storekeeper friendships, and level adjusting all make the non-battle parts of the game as involved as the story. However, it all makes the experience of shopping that much more engrossing. I have to worry about more than just stats and I will end up buying more stuff than I will actually wear, yet still will be useful. Honestly, this is the most fun I've had shopping since the first Atelier Iris.

The last thing I must point out is the stylus abilities. There are so many different uses for the stylus. I have to give Jupiter props for finally finally utilizing the full abilities of the touch screen in a good way.

In short: I really really like it. Must beat the week.

Octopus Prime
04-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Bit of advice for the boss of Day 7:

Don't hit him with anything when he's inhaling. You only find this out after you beat him, at which point the info is kind of moot.

pence
04-25-2008, 06:09 PM
Bit of advice for the boss of Day 7:

Don't hit him with anything when he's inhaling. You only find this out after you beat him, at which point the info is kind of moot.

Well then, I think that's all the motivation I needed to make another attempt. Dodging bullets on two screens is kind of hard.

SilentSnake
04-26-2008, 09:20 PM
I'm very impressed with Day 6. It picks up its stride and stops slightly meandering. The game is finally starting to live up to its potential. I can't wait to see what Day 7 has to offer.

Oh, and the more the details of the Reapers' game come out, the more it all becomes a mindfuck without becoming confusing. It seems contradictory, but somehow it seems to apply, what with Shiki abandoning her appearance to enter the game. It's weird, but it's not convoluted. I think I kinda like that.

Merus
04-26-2008, 11:09 PM
I think it helps that it's building on very familiar tropes. Unlike something like Kingdom Hearts, the Shibuya setting and the implication that it's set in the real world make it easier to accept and follow the fantastic aspects. And even those fantastic aspects aren't all that fantastic - the players are ghosts, playing against Death for the chance to be spared. The Seventh Seal did this ages ago.

I've finished Week 1, and I found the hardest fight by far to be the one just after having the two schoolgirls make up - I think that's Day 6. The Day 7 boss fight took me a couple of goes, but copious use of the sync powers got me through.

SilentSnake
04-26-2008, 11:31 PM
I found the hardest to be a tie between the shark and the first Day 7 boss. The final boss of the week was pretty challenging, but turning my levels up seemed to work. Also, it is set in the real world, but the Shibuya district is presented in such a fantastical (read: stylized) way that it creates a weird middle ground. I think it is this union of space that allows the concept to work. Also, to those of us who don't live in Japan, the effect is ampified. It might as well be a fantastical place, as we really don't know unless we've been there. However, the crowds of people as well as the individual people encountered existing in reality ground the story and bring it back from fantasy land. While a small detail, the crowds of people passing by was an important touch.

Mazian
04-27-2008, 12:11 AM
Up into Day 3. Just about got Neku's combat worked out, though I'm still not good at controlling both at once. I'm finding his "s'up, who's next?" after a well-fought battle entirely too amusing.

I'm not understanding the purpose of sync rate (other than triggering Evangelion flashbacks). Is it explained later? If not, what's it do?

Merus
04-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Sync appears to control the rate of growth of the light puck bonus. If you're up to the point where you're using the light puck, sync rate is very much desirable.

Jakanden
04-27-2008, 04:52 PM
I am on Day 5 now and I am finally getting the hang of the dual screen combat. I surprisingly dig the trend concept and have already have a few outfits to get the max bonuses.

Egarwaen
04-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Day 7. Best quote so far:

Shiki: "Now! Pants! Off!"
Neku: "Doooooooooon't!"

SilentSnake
04-27-2008, 08:50 PM
Oh if it's quotes you want, we can't have the fun club end without this one:

"I wish I had more zippers, then I could zip your lips."

Either Nomura has a sense of humor or a rascaly localization employee had a bit of fun.

Jakanden
04-28-2008, 03:48 AM

Either Nomura has a sense of humor or a rascaly localization employee had a bit of fun.

More than anything I saw in game so far, this made me laugh.

What pin sets are you all using? Right now I have Defense Break, Masamune, Force Rounds, Murasame with my level halved (or lower). It makes things pretty easy because I can pretty much attack non-stop, and with Defense Break, the enemies are often weakened.

I just finished up Day 5 and while I should have seen it, I didn't realize the whole Sixth Sense thing going on. I feel dumb now, but I still didn't see it coming.

ted2000aed
04-28-2008, 05:58 AM
Am I the only jerk who keeps their level at lvl 1 the entire time? Unfortunately the first day 7 boss is really taking it to me so I might have to beef myself up a bit. As a clarification, does lowering level only boost PP and pin drop frequency? Increasing difficulty gives rarer pins right? Either way this game is a blast and there is some really cool and intricate stuff.

Egarwaen
04-28-2008, 06:53 AM

There's a lot of indicators that one of the above is true. I've spotted more than a few Internetisms. IIRC one character (I forget who) says they were "made of fail", and there's the obligatory massive damage joke. No cats with captions taped to them yet, but it's just a matter of time.

Merus
04-28-2008, 06:56 AM
I feel dumb now, but I still didn't see it coming.

I think we were all expecting something a lot stupider from Zippers.

As a clarification, does lowering level only boost PP and pin drop frequency? Increasing difficulty gives rarer pins right?

I didn't notice that lowering level boosted PP, but it absolutely boosts pin drop frequency. When you unlock the Noise Report, it even shows you the drop percentages. Difficulty controls what pins will drop - it appears that lower-level pins will drop when you're playing on a high level.

I'm guessing there'll be some way to revisit old bosses, so I wouldn't sweat it too much. A lot of my levelling is going to be done via shutdown PP, it looks like - you get a ton that way.

SilentSnake
04-28-2008, 08:33 AM
More than anything I saw in game so far, this made me laugh.

What pin sets are you all using? Right now I have Defense Break, Masamune, Force Rounds, Murasame with my level halved (or lower). It makes things pretty easy because I can pretty much attack non-stop, and with Defense Break, the enemies are often weakened.

I just finished up Day 5 and while I should have seen it, I didn't realize the whole Sixth Sense thing going on. I feel dumb now, but I still didn't see it coming.

Yeah the slash pins are super sueful because you can just scribble enemies while you focus your attention on the top screen. The force rounds weren't doing it for me, though, because they didn't do a ton of damage. I like to use the icicles. They do the most damage by far of anything I have, especially since they evolved. The tether pins are way useful, too, because it impedes movement and does damage.

Jakanden
04-28-2008, 08:49 AM
Yeah the slash pins are super sueful because you can just scribble enemies while you focus your attention on the top screen. The force rounds weren't doing it for me, though, because they didn't do a ton of damage. I like to use the icicles. They do the most damage by far of anything I have, especially since they evolved. The tether pins are way useful, too, because it impedes movement and does damage.

I don't think I have gotten Icicles as a projectile yet. I have the one that causes a spike to come out the ground, but I didn't like it as I couldn't pull it off fast every time.

I just got Psychokinesis (drag stuff around), but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

SilentSnake
04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't think I have gotten Icicles as a projectile yet. I have the one that causes a spike to come out the ground, but I didn't like it as I couldn't pull it off fast every time.

I just got Psychokinesis (drag stuff around), but haven't had a chance to use it yet.

They aren't quite a projectile, but when they evolve, it becomes three icicles and they travel along the ground to the right. Its worth it to build it as well as to wear D+B clothes, as the damage can be HUGE. You really have to have it on all the time, though, because growth is very slow.

Merus
04-28-2008, 09:07 AM
They aren't quite a projectile, but when they evolve, it becomes three icicles and they travel along the ground to the right. Its worth it to build it as well as to wear D+B clothes, as the damage can be HUGE. You really have to have it on all the time, though, because growth is very slow.
How does it primarily evolve? Shutdown or battle PP? (Let us ignore mingle. It's unlikely for me to find much of that.)

SilentSnake
04-28-2008, 09:29 AM
How does it primarily evolve? Shutdown or battle PP? (Let us ignore mingle. It's unlikely for me to find much of that.)

I believe it was battle PP, but it had some shutdown too. I believe it evolved after a battle, so that might be an indicator.

Jakanden
04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
One of my pins (Healing) has the word "FIX" above it and it goes away when I go into battle. What is the deal? I cannot find anything about it in the in-game books.

EDIT - Ok, it actually seems to be that one of my pins randomly goes away in battle and I cannot use it.

Mazian
04-28-2008, 10:47 AM
I believe it was battle PP, but it had some shutdown too. I believe it evolved after a battle, so that might be an indicator.
As did mine yesterday. The new, improved triple-threat icicle is excellent. Does evolution occur at some fixed number of PP on a given pin, or is there more to the story?

One of my pins (Healing) has the word "FIX" above it and it goes away when I go into battle. What is the deal?
IIRC, FIX pins are status effects, you can't activate them directly. Not sure what you mean about a pin going away. If you're fighting the crow-like birds, they can steal pins from you until the end of the battle.

Jakanden
04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
If you're fighting the crow-like birds, they can steal pins from you until the end of the battle.

This would be it then, thanks.

Merus
04-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Right, I'm going to have to level up that pin with battle PP (I've got a ton of shutdown PP on many of my early pins), or more likely get a new one.

ted2000aed
04-29-2008, 04:40 AM
SO...how do you evolve a pin vs grow it? I feel cheated out of a evolved masamune pin.

Jakanden
04-29-2008, 05:24 AM
I think it is based on the enemy types (when scanning) that you fight and gain PP from.

Merus
04-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Nope! Like most of this game, you go in expecting bullshit but the game's straight up about the underlying mechanic.

Your pins evolve depending on what is the dominant percentage of PP type it earned. If you look at your stockpile pins, you'll see two colours - blue is battle PP, and green is shutdown PP. Apparently there's also mingle PP, which is red, and comes from mingling and multiplayer Tin Pin. (As far as I can tell, the single-player Tin Pin doesn't count.) If there's enough of the right type of PP, it'll evolve when you master it. It looks like it counts as mastery for your stats, but you don't get to keep the mastered pins. I'm running two decks, one my battle deck and one I'm explicitly using to experiment with shutdown PP - embarassingly, my shutdown deck's stronger in some cases.

Mazian
04-29-2008, 01:56 PM
If there's enough of the right type of PP, it'll evolve when you master it.
This is the part I don't get. Is there a way to determine what the "right type" is? (Can you do anything about pins that were mastered without enough of that type?)

Merus
04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
This is the part I don't get. Is there a way to determine what the "right type" is? (Can you do anything about pins that were mastered without enough of that type?)
No, and no. The only thing you can do is have two pins, and see which does what. Or you can check GameFAQs, which has a pin list with what kind of PP you need to evolve it.

So, yeah, I guess it isn't all that upfront about its mechanics after all.

Eusis
04-30-2008, 05:35 PM
Game arrived in the mail for me, though that makes me a week late for this Fun Club. It's a pain to get used to but I AM adjusting, I'm enjoying it and like the music. Also, one of the few times I've died near the beginning of an RPG.

Mazian
05-02-2008, 07:07 PM
The first shop clerk friendship I've gotten to 100% is at Mus Rattus. I think this corresponds to what I'd actually buy in real life.