PDA

View Full Version : FC20: The World Ends With You, weeks 2 & 3

Parish
04-22-2008, 08:04 PM
You're so superficial
Dressed up all official
You're so super suspicious
Drenched by old officials

Second and third "week" discussion here. Mind the spoilers.

SamuelMarston
04-22-2008, 08:08 PM
There are second and third weeks! ZOMG!

mopinks
04-22-2008, 08:24 PM
just reached Week 2. Joshua is an ass!

Parish
04-22-2008, 09:35 PM
It would be a pretty short game if it were only a week long!

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 12:31 PM
It would be a pretty short game if it were only a week long!

Yeah, I figured something was coming. Either that or days 5-7 were going to be long days.

dwolfe
04-23-2008, 12:41 PM
A: The warm fuzzy feeling as I picked up P3:FES today AND scored the last (second) copy of TWEWY today...and as i signed the credit card receipt another guy came in asking for TWETY.

Q: What was in that briefcase from Pulp Fiction.

Woo! Finally I can participate in a Fun Club! Be gentle.

poetfox
04-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Holy crap, so, um, I was just randomly scanning, and there was a blue noise, and it was this seemingly optional Kitsune boss... and he was quite difficult to beat. I had more trouble with him than anything in the game so far. (though I suppose if I just, you know, left the battle and kicked it to easy it would have been cake or something)
Anyway, it was totally intense and epic, so don't miss it.

Octopus Prime
04-25-2008, 03:35 PM
I've just cleared the first day of Week 2 and... I really don't like Joshua. Like, even remotely. I miss Shiki, scary hips and all.

On the other hand, a Game Master who is constantly making Math Puns just leaves me pleased as punch.

locit
04-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I've just cleared the first day of Week 2 and... I really don't like Joshua. Like, even remotely. I miss Shiki, scary hips and all.
I actually came here to post exactly this. Also I haven't gotten used to Joshua's combo system yet.

And he is a dick.

Octopus Prime
04-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Once you get used to Josh's combo system, you can get Synchronized attacks a bit more easily then you could with Shiki. He's still a douche though.

I hope you do get Shiki back at some point, since I bought a heap of items and stickers for her and would hate to see my efforts wasted. Plus, again, she's way more likable then Josh.

And I finally got an upgraded Wallet, so now my inventory isn't overflowing with useless badges, and I can shop at Shinbu Mall.

Life is awesome!

Merus
04-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Turns out yen pins evolve via multiplayer Tin Pin Slammer.

Also, it looks like Week 3's partner is Beat. I'm kind of wondering how that one works out.

Can't wait; Joshua's a dick. Useful in demonstrating just how far Neku's come, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gave up his humility or something to play the Game.

mopinks
04-26-2008, 09:48 PM
anyone have any tips on how to play this game without getting really really hungry?

unggh, ramen

SilentSnake
04-26-2008, 11:08 PM
Okay I'll be like the third person or so to say it. I've only spent a minute with Joshua and already there's enough smug to cover Shibuya, Shinjuku, and every other district in Tokyo ten times over.

Joshua's a dick.

Octopus Prime
04-27-2008, 06:54 AM
He gets to be an even bigger dick by Day 5.

Trust me.

Pseudonym
04-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Joshua is a dick, but he is enough of a dick that halfway through the week I decided that I loved that magnificent bastard because of it. His dickery amuses me. Also, he is a wonderful tour guide. And his attacks get pretty darn good at the end of the week. I wouldn't have been able to do the "fight with random pins" task with out him dishing out the damage.

I stayed up way too late playing last night because I wanted to see what happens next. I made it a bit into week 3 then called it a night. I'll be done soon at any rate. But I heard there was some postgame stuff?

I think I may have talked my brother into the game. He was interested anyway, so I don't feel so bad about getting him to spend his limited funds. And there is only one save slot, so it's not like I could have lent it to him. Then we can abuse the mingle function for PP! It will be like the good old days with mixing records in the GBA Pokemon games.

Octopus Prime
04-27-2008, 03:12 PM
According to Gamefaqs, there is a New Game + mode offered when you beat the game. Which is good for my aforementioned splurging on Shiki's items which are currently unusable.

...unless I give Neku enough bravery to saunter into battle wearing a bikini and knee-socks, which I may well do.

I got up to the second GM, but I accidentally started the fight before I had a chance to unequip my crappy Pins, which made the ensuing fight nearly unwinnable.

Merus
04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
That kitsune optional boss kicked my ass - after a while, it turns into a giant skeleton and starts charging, healing himself back up to full, and when he finishes he does his own special sync move. Two of those and I'm down for the count. How did you stop the skeleton, poetfox?

WreckTheLaw
04-28-2008, 04:54 AM
Halfway through week 2, Joshua is a dick, but I really dig his combat style. I do miss Shiki because I bought a ton of items just for her at the very end of Week 1, but I guess now I know better. Me > Everyone Else.

Pseudonym
04-28-2008, 06:54 AM
Well, I just finished it off last night. Pretty twisty end. SPOILER: Joshua is still a dick. The New Game + stuff is pretty nice as you can pick your chapter and fast forward through the talking and get right to grinding pin levels. Plus there are bonus tasks to do to earn backstory reports. I got the first few, but I expect the others will be pretty hard. I saw a new pin in a store that looks pretty good, but I'll have to grind for a ton of low value yen pins to get it. So it looks like there is still plenty for me to do yet. There is a bonus chapter that had a pretty funny intro, but it is focused on tin pin matches. I hate tin pin slammer. :( I expect I'll get back to it eventually.

Jakanden
04-28-2008, 05:46 PM
Made it to Day 1 of week 2 and I will reaffirm the "Joshua is a dick" sentiment.

SilentSnake
04-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Ever since I started week 2, I have needed to pump up the levels for the first time. All week 1 (except for some bosses) I left my level at 1 and was fine, but now not so much, especially on hard.

Merus
04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
That kitsune optional boss kicked my ass - after a while, it turns into a giant skeleton and starts charging, healing himself back up to full, and when he finishes he does his own special sync move. Two of those and I'm down for the count. How did you stop the skeleton, poetfox?
Kitsune Watch: I got it down to half health, and worked out one way to interrupt the skeleton (c-c-c-combo). This isn't viable for long because after a while it takes too many stars for me to have a combo ready when it drops into the skeleton form. I thought that the Bahamut-esque super move the kitsune has was related to its skeleton form, but turns out it's not!

I want to beat this fucker. I guess I technically don't have to, and can come back to him at the end of the game (or even later on in the day), but I want to beat him so bad.

SilentSnake
04-28-2008, 08:19 PM
I really enjoy the new battle themes in week 2. My favorite one is the one which contains the rap "wash them nice and clean". I have to laugh that I actually like the song.

Oh and I just discovered the soundtrack to the game on the iTunes music store. Perhaps a thought for later maybe.

locit
04-28-2008, 10:35 PM
Is there a particularly effective way to kill jellyfish? Because I sure as hell can't figure it out. Or I need to level a bit.

Jakanden
04-29-2008, 03:23 AM
Where can I find Choice Meat? I don't see it on any drop list and I cannot seem to get past Day 2 without it as I need the Definitivo Chili Dog.

Octopus Prime
04-29-2008, 04:52 AM
Is there a particularly effective way to kill jellyfish? Because I sure as hell can't figure it out. Or I need to level a bit.

You smash the hell out of them and hope to kill them all before they can spread. Sync-attacks work wonders.

SilentSnake
04-29-2008, 05:53 AM
Where can I find Choice Meat? I don't see it on any drop list and I cannot seem to get past Day 2 without it as I need the Definitivo Chili Dog.

One of the wall reapers has one. You have to complete his quest to get it. I don't remember which one, though.

Jakanden
04-29-2008, 06:35 AM
One of the wall reapers has one. You have to complete his quest to get it. I don't remember which one, though.

The only Wall Reaper I have found is the one that gave me the quest to get the chili dog. I will look again at lunch though as I probably just missed him.

Merus
04-29-2008, 07:20 AM
You smash the hell out of them and hope to kill them all before they can spread. Sync-attacks work wonders.
The blue jellyfish drop a highly recommended pin on Normal. The reds also drop a pin on Easy that you need to get past a guard.

I found the best way to kill jellyfish was to unequip my heal pins and equip a bunch of shot pins and direct attack pins.

You don't need to get past that Wall Reaper, though. I couldn't even get there - I couldn't dress Joshua in Natural Puppy gear, so I completely ignored that section entirely.

Jakanden
04-29-2008, 07:50 AM
So yeah, I never really enjoy minigames in my games (Blitzball for instance) and this Pin Slam thing is no exception. Good thing I don't have to play it more than the one time (at least I hope).

Kylie
04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Oh dear god.

"F this ramen!
F it to high heaven!"

This NEVER gets old.

Pseudonym
04-29-2008, 03:28 PM

You can get the meat and chili from the food store in the department store with the very expensive stores in it.

Anyone know where I can get a few 5 yen pins? Say, like 99 of them? The tadpoles cough up plenty of the 1 and 10 pins that I need, but 5 pins are a mystery to me.

Also, postgame optional bosses are a dick.

SilentSnake
04-29-2008, 04:31 PM
I can see it now, but was it always there? You may or may not have to raise the friendship level of that storekeeper first. I'm not positive.

I like the idea of the pig noise, but when it requires a gimped pin to win, then not so much. Pyrokinesis only does 10 damage and since it is the only thing that can damage it...well, it sucks.

Merus
04-29-2008, 05:08 PM
Does Light Full of Hope work on it?

Kitsune watch: the bastard's down! If anyone else feels like taking down that boss and had as much trouble as I did: take in at least one heal pin and three damage pins that don't rely on the kitsune standing still. Have Joshua attack up the top, and when you hear it howl, attack the flame tails. If there are nine flame tails on the screen, it'll do its summon move, knocking off about 70% of your health. Even concentrating on the tails, I took two summons to the face. Don't use combo moves if you can help it - they're the only things I've found that knock the kitsune out of its skeleton form, so wait until it does the skeleton move to use them.

SilentSnake
04-29-2008, 07:21 PM
Final boss of week 2 is freakin' sweet. Also, SOH CAH TOA

Octopus Prime
04-29-2008, 07:59 PM
Oh dear god.

"F this ramen!
F it to high heaven!"

This NEVER gets old.

Easily my favorite line from the game. Even better then the Zipper bit.

SilentSnake
04-29-2008, 08:06 PM
Imagine my surprise when the F in "F Everything" wasn't what I thought it was.

And I thought he was popular because he was emo...

Merus
04-29-2008, 09:18 PM
He's not a very good Prince of Ennui, is he.

poetfox
04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
I just beat it. Man, what a great game. I'm so, so glad my baseless enthusiasm for this game before it's release was not misplaced.

Things that saddened me: The moment I decided to try this down kick thing that I love, all the enemies became so that they'd teleport away from such attacks. Bastards.

Also, was it just me, or was Beat the weakest partner? I mean, maybe I did more grinding with Joshua and Shiki or something, and was pushing through to finish the game at this point, but damn, he took SO much damage and never synced with me. I must have been doing something wrong.

Also, I was sad when my Healing Bunny evolved into a Healing Whale, just because, you know... Healing Bunny. That was why I bought it, because it was called Healing Bunny.

Also, I totally missed what I was supposed to be doing on the last boss the first few times I fought him. Heh.

But yeah. Man. Awesome.
I guess it's off to Pokemon Mystery Dungeon 2 for me, now...

Jakanden
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I am on Day 5 of Week 2 and I still don't have the hang of the sync and light puck thing. It doesn't really matter though as I have my level slider down to less than half, my top character on auto and I still breezing through the game.

Octopus Prime
04-30-2008, 12:51 PM
I had to set the difficulty to easy to beat Pinky and Lollipop-Guy. I'm not proud.

However, having left the DS off for about 2 days gave me enough PP to evolve my mightiest Pins. In your FACE everyone who doesn't like getting slashed in the face by magic psychic lapels!

SilentSnake
04-30-2008, 05:31 PM
I had to set the difficulty to easy to beat blah and blah. I'm not proud.

However, having left the DS off for about 2 days gave me enough PP to evolve my mightiest Pins. In your FACE everyone who doesn't like getting slashed in the face by magic psychic lapels!

I always kinda screw myself into switching to easy on some of the bosses because I don't save enough and I leave my level at 1. If I bump it up to less than half, however, I don't have much difficulty. Forget about hard for the time being, though.

I like how distinct week 3 is from the other two. The circumstances create a greater sense of urgency

Octopus Prime
04-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, game's beaten. The last boss was kind of hard to look at, being all garishly colored like that. Twas a mighty fine game, and it exceeded my expecations. I really liked how the last area that you could save in was called The Rubicon. Seriously, I loved that.

And being nice and short like that means I will be more likely to go off and try the New Game + then not. Also, I want to take down the rest of those Blue Noise.

Josh is still a dick.

locit
04-30-2008, 06:03 PM
Nearing end of Week 2 despite projects and finals, totally worth it to find out what in the name of F you guys were talking about.

Jakanden
05-01-2008, 03:14 AM
I wonder if "F This!" will become a new meme in the way the game uses it?

Perhaps I am crazy, but Joshua is actually starting to grow on me. He is a dick yeah, but he is able to back up his arrogance with results and it is nice watching him tear on people other than Neku.

ted2000aed
05-01-2008, 04:52 AM
I just beat week 1 last night and now I see what people were saying about Joshua...what a dick.

Oh well, at least I have more incentive to play and pry my eyes away from GTA IV for a while.

SilentSnake
05-01-2008, 06:04 AM
I wonder if "F This!" will become a new meme in the way the game uses it?

Perhaps I am crazy, but Joshua is actually starting to grow on me. He is a dick yeah, but he is able to back up his arrogance with results and it is nice watching him tear on people other than Neku.

He had the exact same effect on me. I actually miss having him as a partner now that week 2 is over. Especially after the end of week 2. The roller coaster of your feelings on him will continue until the end. Its hard to guess where he will end up. The climax will blow your mind.

mopinks
05-01-2008, 07:14 AM
so the New Game + mode seems awfully cool, but did they have to put the fast-forward on the L and R buttons? I don't have those buttons! :<

SilentSnake
05-01-2008, 08:57 AM
Huh this game taught me a new way to say an old concept: "Slabs Of Ham, Celery And Horseradish, Tons Of Asparagus" Awesome.

SilentSnake
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Holy cow I just beat the game. That was unreal. I wouldn't have beaten the boss if it wasn't for the lightning pin I got just before it. It was freaking awesome, though, and the ending really put me through the ringer. I don't know how I feel about everything magically becoming okay at the end, though. If there's a reason then I don't get it. Now its off to the postgame!

Oh and my final final verdict now that I finished the game: Joshua is indeed a gigantic dick.

Eirikr
05-01-2008, 12:02 PM
so the New Game + mode seems awfully cool, but did they have to put the fast-forward on the L and R buttons? I don't have those buttons! :<

Are your shoulder buttons non-operational? I found a great way to (possibly) get them working: blow under the buttons, to get the dirt out. Just pucker up and plant one on your DS, and blow. If that doesn't work, the problem is something bigger.

mopinks
05-01-2008, 12:13 PM
I tried all manner of blowing and digging to get that L button to work, with no luck. then I kind of, uh, dropped my DS and broke it in half, after which the poor R button gave up the ghost too. :<

so I decided to suck it up and use my old fatty DS, only to discover that the top screen has somehow been DEVOURED BY A BLACK VOID. seriously, it looks like someone spilled ink inside my DS, and I have no idea how it happened since I haven't even touched the damn thing in half a year.

I really need a new DS!

Eirikr
05-01-2008, 12:24 PM
I tried all manner of blowing and digging to get that L button to work, with no luck. then I kind of, uh, dropped my DS and broke it in half, after which the poor R button gave up the ghost too. :<

so I decided to suck it up and use my old fatty DS, only to discover that the top screen has somehow been DEVOURED BY A BLACK VOID. seriously, it looks like someone spilled ink inside my DS, and I have no idea how it happened since I haven't even touched the damn thing in half a year.

I really need a new DS!

Sorry to hear that :(

The blowing trick worked like gangbusters on my Lite, but with only moderate success on a friend's. YMMV, I suppose.

Merus
05-01-2008, 05:14 PM
I got to week 3 - I appreciate how they've somehow ratcheted things up even further, although I'm annoyed because the bat boss is kicking my ass this time.

Mazian
05-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Got to week 2. Has anyone mentioned that Joshua is a dick yet? Because he is.

I'm assuming he gets more useful fast, what with having done zero damage to the day 1 boss.

Octopus Prime
05-03-2008, 03:08 AM
He gets more useful, he just doesn't get any less Dick-ish

Jakanden
05-03-2008, 05:54 PM
He gets more useful, he just doesn't get any less Dick-ish

Indeed. If it wasn't for his ability to float in the air and come back down as you order him, I wouldn't have beaten the week 2 boss. That allowed me to dodge most of his attacks.

Parish
05-03-2008, 07:41 PM
Wow, someone actually beat kitsune? That thing is a nightmare. It seems so harmless at first, then after a few minutes it brings out the big guns and you die horribly.