PDA

View Full Version : RPG #10: Persona 3 FES (early study hall edition)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Parish
04-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Dragon Quarter is kinda fizzling and people are gonna be playing Persona 3 this week, so!

Persona 3: FES
Atlus | PS2 | RPG | 2008

Remember that not everyone has played P3. So be really mindful of spoilers, OK?

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 02:49 PM
Should we have separate threads for people playing through The Journey or the Answer?

Spoiler-heavy stuff in The Answer might be best relegated to its own thread.

Parish
04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
We can probably wait until the Dragon Quarter thread goes away for that. Who is realistically going to beat the game in a week?

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
We can probably wait until the Dragon Quarter thread goes away for that. Who is realistically going to beat the game in a week?

I will definitely be done with The Answer within a week. But, I can agree with you to get the clutter down.

So anyways, I just started The Answer so there's not much to say except that....I love the instruction booklet. Good choice in making the front and back of the instruction booklet the cover art from the two Japanese versions of Fes.

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 04:14 PM
Wow, I just died in the second battle in the Answer. I miss Cuchulainn already. :'(

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 04:21 PM
Is there a difference between The Journey in FES and the original Persona 3? Is there a good reason I should be opening my copy of FES now?

I mean, I want to finish The Journey before I play The Answer so I won't get to that stuff for a while.

Reluctant Hero
04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
So anyways, I just started The Answer so there's not much to say except that....I love the instruction booklet. Good choice in making the front and back of the instruction booklet the cover art from the two Japanese version of Fes.

Yes, the instruction booklet is excellent. Thank god that there are still companies who value full color manuals. Unlike another game companies... *coughscrewyoueacough*

Last night I went through summer vacation in the standard P3. i just want to find out what my exam score is and then I'll restart into "The Journey" tonight.

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Is there a difference between The Journey in FES and the original Persona 3? Is there a good reason I should be opening my copy of FES now?

I mean, I want to finish The Journey before I play The Answer so I won't get to that stuff for a while.

There's a ton of extra stuff. A new S. Link, new personas, different costumes, etc. However, the story is the same of course.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 04:30 PM
There's a ton of extra stuff. A new S. Link, new personas, different costumes, etc. However, the story is the same of course.

So I'll be opening it then. I don't suppose my non-cleared save will transfer...?

sraymonds
04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm surprised that Nicholas Cage (http://www.popanime.net/megami/wiki/index.php?title=Hell_Biker) licensed himself out to be used as a persona.

It's on the back of the box, if you want a picture of him.

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
So I'll be opening it then. I don't suppose my non-cleared save will transfer...?

I'm unsure about that. You definitely wouldn't be able to start where you left off in the regular game, but I'm not sure if you actually need a clear file to carry over your data to Fes.

Reluctant Hero
04-23-2008, 04:37 PM
I'm unsure about that. You definitely wouldn't be able to start where you left off in the regular game, but I'm not sure if you actually need a clear file to carry over your data to Fes.

From various other sources, any original Persona 3 save can be converted into FES. You save does not have to be a "clear" game save.

8. Can I continue my game of Persona 3 in Persona 3 FES?

Not really. The Journey section of P3 FES is meant to be played from the start so that you can experience all the new content. If you're in the middle of October in Persona 3, you cannot load that save into Persona 3 FES and pick up in the middle of October in The Journey; you must start a new game at level 1. However, you will be able to load some things from your Persona 3 save into FES. These are:

-Your Academics, Charm, and Courage rankings
-Your discovered Fusion Spells list
-Any key items you possess that unlock Persona fusions
-Your Persona compendium (However, the Personas in your compendium will be reset to their base level, stats, and skills)

9. Do I need to finish Persona 3 to import my data into P3 FES?

No. Whether you have a clear save or are only partway into the first month, Persona 3 FES can read the aforementioned data and import it into your new file of The Journey. - source (http://www.atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?t=674)

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 04:39 PM
From various other sources, any original Persona 3 save can be converted into FES. You save does not have to be a "clear" game save.

That's excellent news.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Rad. Character limit.

This will get me going on the game again.

reibeatall
04-23-2008, 05:11 PM
I started up FES today, after only getting about 10 hours into P3. Last time I stopped because Bioshock came out; I hope GTA doesn't push me away from FES.

KCar
04-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Again: full character stats render me a ladies' man.

I'm just not sure what I'm going to do in the evenings, what with being a badass, charming genius.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 06:26 PM
It really is great to play this again. The forgot how nice this game looks and sounds.

I'm still working on getting good at the gameplay. First month I dominated enemies, and then the second tier of the dungeon came and confused me.

I need to figure out how to craft the sorts of personae I want. Any tips?

tungwene
04-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Wow, I just died in the second battle in the Answer. I miss Cuchulainn already. :'(This is another motivation why I'm playing The Journey on Hard first so that I don't get stuck somewhere during The Answer later on.

Actually, I just started up files of both The Answer and The Journey just 'cause I wanted to see the intro of The Answer in English (the Japanese version has been up for months and I wanted to know what they were saying in it). There were a lot of parallels in the intro to both and I got a little choked up by watching the two of them back to back. Also, the little cutscenes in the intro of the Journey where you get to see yourself walking through town and the people you know and are yet to meet are all there in the background is a nice touch.

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I need to figure out how to craft the sorts of personae I want. Any tips?

When I fuse and use personas, I prefer to have the characters from mythology I like represented in my lineup - guys like Cuchulainn, Odin, Shiva, Metatron, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have access to guys like this during most of the game, so in the meanwhile to keep yourself alive, make sure you have a handful of personas that have all the elements covered so you can exploit weaknesses. Even if the skills are level one in strength, that won't matter - they will still stumble the enemies so you can get an all out attack.

It's even better if you can fuse a persona that has a myriad of different elemental attacks. My first time through I fused a Lamia like that and I used her for a great amount of time.

This is another motivation why I'm playing The Journey on Hard first so that I don't get stuck somewhere during The Answer later on.

Wow, and the first boss in The Answer is a doozy! Killed me a few times, but...(my strategy follows) I leveled up to 28 to get Sati, who has Media, which made the battle a breeze. One skill can make all the difference.

SamuelMarston
04-23-2008, 08:09 PM
When I fuse and use personas, I prefer to have the characters from mythology I like represented in my lineup - guys like Cuchulainn, Odin, Shiva, Metatron, etc. Unfortunately, I don't have access to guys like this during most of the game, so in the meanwhile to keep yourself alive, make sure you have a handful of personas that have all the elements covered so you can exploit weaknesses. Even if the skills are level one in strength, that won't matter - they will still stumble the enemies so you can get an all out attack.

It's even better if you can fuse a persona that has a myriad of different elemental attacks. My first time through I fused a Lamia like that and I used her for a great amount of time.

Is there a general rule or trick to getting the elements you want, or knowing what elements a persona will have? Do I just have to learn the persona?

Either way, I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

djSyndrome
04-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Actually, I just started up files of both The Answer and The Journey just 'cause I wanted to see the intro of The Answer in English (the Japanese version has been up for months and I wanted to know what they were saying in it). There were a lot of parallels in the intro to both and I got a little choked up by watching the two of them back to back. Also, the little cutscenes in the intro of the Journey where you get to see yourself walking through town and the people you know and are yet to meet are all there in the background is a nice touch.

I just made it through the first hour of Episode Yo... sorry, The Journey, and I'm putting it down and starting up The Answer momentarily. The missus just beat P3 a few weeks ago so we're both itching to see what happens next.

As much as I wanted to do them in chronological order, The Journey is probably going to have to wait for a few weeks.

liquid
04-23-2008, 08:34 PM
I think I'm going to finish up my Emperor S-Link before starting FES, because I didn't complete it my first time through the game, and if I have to suck up to this asshole a third time I may end up shooting myself.

blindblue
04-23-2008, 08:34 PM
Dragon Quarter is kinda fizzling and people are gonna be playing Persona 3 this week, so!

Persona 3: FES
Atlus | PS2 | RPG | 2008

Remember that not everyone has played P3. So be really mindful of spoilers, OK?

The Coming Soon thread has this listed as May/June - is it running for two months?

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 08:36 PM
Is there a general rule or trick to getting the elements you want, or knowing what elements a persona will have? Do I just have to learn the persona?

When fusing, you can of course see the resulting persona before you commit. Take heed to the moves that persona starts out with - most personas are clearly assigned to a particular affinity, be that slash, ice, wind, death, etc, and will learn moves of that type. For example, Pyro Jack will obviously be aligned with fire. He has both single attack and attack all fire spells right off the bat. The majority of personas are the same way.

And of course, don't forget to have a decent healer!

Eirikr
04-23-2008, 08:43 PM
You know your social link progress won't carry over when you start up your FES game, right?

But the items you get from level 10s do. Come on, Nich. :)

liquid
04-23-2008, 08:44 PM
I thought you kept the item you get from maxing out said social link?

TheSL
04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Geez, I forgot how chatty the start of this game is. Its not nearly as interesting when you know exactly what is going to happen.

So was it a conscious decision for Atlus to release the game around the same date that the story starts in-game, or just a coincidence?

Aeonus
04-23-2008, 09:51 PM
I picked this up on my lunch break and imported my early-July P3 data for some cheap and easy Academics/Charm/Courage. I'm already glad I bumped up my Academics the first time around -- see, I just reached the day when you can finally start going places, and went straight to the shrine for the free money*/academics boost, only to find that they revamped the place! The free money dispenser is now some relationship fortune thingy, and doing anything there takes up the entire afternoon(!).

*Sure, technically it's not free money, but the odds are so far in your favor it may as well be.

Ruik
04-23-2008, 10:36 PM
Got this today, I'm almost all the way through the first month (like May 1ish). My first couple dungeon runs I would explore each level, standard dungeon crawl strat to nab all chests and assure I'm leveling up at the right pace. But my dudes kept getting tired by the 4th floor so I'd take an early exit. Little did I know that you unlock a teleporter every 5th level. Anyways, I finally got pissed and just charged through each stage, grabbing chests if I saw them, but taking the stairs as early as I could find them. Got through 5th and 10th floors in one run.

Only thing I'm worried about is missing out on quests that have deadlines. Is this enough of a problem that I should check an online guide for those since I'm worried about missing the deadlines?

Ruik
04-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Cool, I didn't realize I'd have so much time for them.

tungwene
04-23-2008, 10:55 PM
So my report on Hard mode:

I just died four times on the first two hours of gameplay, three times all on the second Tartarus boss(es). The first one, okay whatever equip a bow, shot them all down, rinse repeat. Second one, okay I am so fucked right now. Magic attacks hit so hard. Two spells of any kind and I am dead. Seriously if two hands decide they want to gain up on me in one turn it's game over. So Cadenza, Cadenza, Cadenza, oh wait that costs a lot of SP. Me and my party are just a bunch of sitting ducks, getting knocked down and losing turns, can't access the Compendium, so I have two persona I can fuse since I can't get Orpheus back immediately, fuck, fuck, fuck, this is not fun.

spineshark
04-23-2008, 11:15 PM
Well then. This sounds even more soul-crushing than Nocturne on Hard. How fascinating.

"Be honest; this is for posterity, you know!"

So...yeah, this is one of those things, where, now that I've heard it so many times and know it has to be true, I've got to see it for myself. Will I have the patience to suffer through it? Unlikely. But I just have to.

Calorie Mate
04-23-2008, 11:26 PM
With all this talk, I might crack under the pressure and start The Answer soon. I don't want to, but I might have to.

Abominable K
04-23-2008, 11:50 PM
I am disappointed that the S. Links for different club activities still seem to use the same characters. Imagine how replayable this game would be if each club had it's own unique storylines.

tungwene
04-24-2008, 01:32 AM
Took down the hands on my fifth try. The answer for me was to cast Cadenza on my very first turn even though my entire party was at full health. From there it was all a matter of luck because by chance my entire party managed to dodge all magic attacks hurled at them for two rounds (I felt a certain sense of ridiculous pride when all three members dodged a Magaru spell) which was long enough for Junpei to kill one of the three thus easing the pressure for on us. Yukari however spent most of the battle dead as she did the next battle. I fear such will be her fate for most of her game because of her natural low HP. The third boss took me out at full health with one Assault Dive that did more damage than I had max HP. However it seemed to be a fluke because I beat him on my second attempt. I hate Junpei and his retarded AI though because I used the same Cadenza technique on that battle but since there was only one boss he tended to fall down a lot. I would order to hold the All-Out attack because I wanted an extra turn to revive Yukari, heal, or replenish my SP (those Cadenzas cost a lot and become more costly as your personae level up, I think) but noooooo Junpei would use his turn to cast Agi on it and make it stand back up even when I placed him on heal/support.

PS. I was not underleveled. The puny sweat-dropped regular shadows flee from me en mass wherever I turn. I swear this first block was more frustrating than Monad. I can't wait to get ahold of my Compendium. Also, first date with Elizabeth was AWESOME (why oh why did I save over it on accident, I want to see it again and again!).

DeeMer
04-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Played Hard Journey for two hours last night. I made it through Normal without a sweat, previously...

Died twice; never made it to floor 5 even. My characters are falling from a single enemy Bufu... this is going to be rough.

TheSL
04-24-2008, 06:18 AM
I am disappointed that the S. Links for different club activities still seem to use the same characters. Imagine how replayable this game would be if each club had it's own unique storylines.

What, so regardless of which you choose you still get the same rival and team manager? Lame.

Pooch
04-24-2008, 06:27 AM
I started The Journey on Normal, but after reading some of the comments here I might go back and re-start on Hard, if only to steel myself for The Answer's difficulty. Luckily I didn't get too far into the Journey, so I won't have much to re-do.

djSyndrome
04-24-2008, 06:45 AM
I played The Answer for two hours, didn't die once. Fuuka needs more tunes, but I'm digging the range of Aigis' guns - they're useful for surprising enemies. I'm using Metis (mostly worthless, but I'm keeping her anyway), Yukari and Akihiko. Not having access to any Bufu spells at the moment is annoying :(

djSyndrome
04-24-2008, 07:16 AM
What, so regardless of which you choose you still get the same rival and team manager? Lame.

Yes, it was like that in the first run of P3 as well. Only the graphics and small bits of text change; everything else about the Strength S-Link is identical regardless of which team you choose.

jeditanuki
04-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Started The Journey (Don't Stop Believin'!) last night, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm using the Tomm-suggested method of just playing it naturally and organically and not consulting guides of any sort, if only for the time being. It's my first SMT game, and my first JRPG since about FFVII, which I didn't even finish.

ringworm
04-24-2008, 07:57 AM
Started The Journey (Don't Stop Believin'!) last night, and I'm really enjoying it. I'm using the Tomm-suggested method of just playing it naturally and organically and not consulting guides of any sort, if only for the time being. It's my first SMT game, and my first JRPG since about FFVII, which I didn't even finish.
Good for you! I honestly can't emphasize enough how crucial it is to play P3 blind and just do whatever you want when you want. I think there are strategies to be used in Tartarus to make that part of the experience more fun, but mostly you should just go with the flow (assuming you are playing on Easy or Normal, that is). Consulting a guide would really kill a lot of what makes the game great, I think.

I will warn you, that it is easy to despair on some of the Tartarus floor bosses. Especially later on when they stop having obvious elemental weaknesses. But there is always a strategy to be employed (as an SMT newb it was usually using some sets of skills I hadn't even heard of before) and I guarantee that you will get more pleasure out of figuring it out yourself. At worst come here and ask for hints rather than going straight to GameFAQs. Once you start down that dark road, you will be consumed by it.

estragon
04-24-2008, 08:18 AM
I played The Answer for two hours, didn't die once.

Oh, give it time, don't worry. It'll get difficult soon enough.

tungwene
04-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Question for people playing on Hard mode? Is it just me or have your own magic increased as well from the jump from Normal to Hard and not just the enemies. I thought maybe it was because I'd overleveled myself but I'm starting to notice boss fights going a lot quicker (when I'm doing things right. I don't mean fewer attempts but on the attempt I do succeed it's over in the blink of an eye almost). Because Yukari dies a lot she's slightly behind me but I've noticed she can take out one normal enemy in one hit with a Garu spell even when that enemy is weak to that element.

Just wondering.

MCBanjoMike
04-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Since we now have an official Persona thread open, I'll move my chatter over here (even though I'm still playing vanilla P3 for now).

Woohoo, I finally beat the last Master of Tartarus! That guy was a son of a bitch, with his 1-2 combo of Infuriate followed by Medigolaon. I even made my first foray into Monad and won a single battle, which netted me a cool 16,000 experience. I'm almost hesitant to explore that area too much, as I don't want to steamroll the final boss on my first try. I might need to level up a bit before taking on The Reaper, though, so we'll see.

I've also polished off a couple of S.Links over the winter vacation. Stupid Mamoru didn't show up for 4 days straight, so I had to waste the first day of school finishing Star, but I also closed out Hermit and Sun in a fairly efficient manner. Is it just me, or is the ending to Sun pretty weird? Dude just disappears, like he was a ghost or something - this seems to run against the fiction of the game, which only seems to include the supernatural if it has something to do with shadows/Tartarus/personas. I mean, after Junpei spent all that time making fun of Yukari for being afraid of ghosts, I just took it to mean that there weren't any in the P3-verse.

Anyway, I'm stoked to be this close to the end. If I put my mind to it, I could probably finish the game before picking up FES tomorrow! I doubt that will happen, but hopefully over the weekend I'll close the book on my first run, at which point I'll start agonizing over whether I want to start FES right away (not to mention which part to play) or hold off a bit. Actually, I should probably stick to my original plan: replay The Journey on Normal to see the rest of the S.Links with minimal Tartarusing, then attack The Answer once I'm a bit less burned out on dungeon crawling.

SamuelMarston
04-24-2008, 10:45 AM

When I learned to stop worrying about what I was doing and just feel my way through things, I started having a lot more fun. It's really the way to go.

I really, REALLY, want to finish this game.

MCBanjoMike
04-24-2008, 10:52 AM
When I learned to stop worrying about what I was doing and just feel my way through things, I started having a lot more fun. It's really the way to go.

I really, REALLY, want to finish this game.

I definitely agree that the best way to play the game is to just go in with your eyes open and make your own decisions. That said, having done so has put me in a bit of a quandary: I didn't realize where Mitsuru was and wound up starting that S.Link a few weeks late. Now I REALLY want to finish it before I run out of time, but I'm only at level 4 with a paltry 3 weeks left! Am I just a crazy dreamer? I'm also hoping to complete student council guy, but he's already at level 6 and his available days are the exact opposite of the first one's, so I'm hopeful that I can figure that one out.

SamuelMarston
04-24-2008, 10:54 AM
I definitely agree that the best way to play the game is to just go in with your eyes open and make your own decisions. That said, having done so has put me in a bit of a quandary: I didn't realize where Spoiler? was and wound up starting that S.Link a few weeks late. Now I REALLY want to finish it before I run out of time, but I'm only at level 4 with a paltry 3 weeks left! Am I just a crazy dreamer? I'm also hoping to complete student council guy, but he's already at level 6 and his available days are the exact opposite of the first one's, so I'm hopeful that I can figure that one out.

Second time's a charm, right? Third? Damn.

Ha, I'm just hoping to make it all the way through the game once. I don't finish many 70 hour games at all.

Reluctant Hero
04-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Well last night I pumped another 1 hour in the regular P3 to max out my Charm and raise my Academics to "Intelligent" (level 6 of 7 I think). My courage is only at level 3 though. Story wise I left at August 2nd, after the tournament

I loaded my save into Fes and but I became to tired to continue on after the first day od school. I'm looking forward to veturing foward in FES tonight.

Mr. Sensible
04-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I kinda want to pick this up, but I'd feel really douche-y if I spent more money on a game I haven't even finished once.

I've made it to 72F. I wonder how much further...

Ruik
04-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Ok, so when you gain in charm, academics, and courage is it always the same gain regardless of what you are doing or different depending on the activity/money spent? Praying at the shrine while "great" obviously does more because you get a different message. Just wondering the difference between, say, the haunted house vs karaoke or normal praying vs library vs eating smart food (I forget the restaurant's name).

spineshark
04-24-2008, 12:09 PM
I definitely agree that the best way to play the game is to just go in with your eyes open and make your own decisions. That said, having done so has put me in a bit of a quandary: I didn't realize where Mitsuru was and wound up starting that S.Link a few weeks late. Now I REALLY want to finish it before I run out of time, but I'm only at level 4 with a paltry 3 weeks left! Am I just a crazy dreamer? I'm also hoping to complete student council guy, but he's already at level 6 and his available days are the exact opposite of the first one's, so I'm hopeful that I can figure that one out.
The Empress S. Link rises very fast because it's available for such a short time. If you bring a matching persona and give the best answer every time, you'll gain a level every time, even without weekend dates. 3 weeks should be enough to finish Emperor as well.

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=60189&#post60189

Here is spineshark's quick, dirty, and merely *mostly* accurate guide to S. Links. It doesn't include new information from Fes and I will probably revise it for such when I get a chance. My copy is in so I'm going to pick it up right now!

MCBanjoMike
04-24-2008, 12:20 PM
The Empress S. Link rises very fast because it's available for such a short time. If you bring a matching persona and give the best answer every time, you'll gain a level every time, even without weekend dates. 3 weeks should be enough to finish Emperor as well.

Thanks, that's encouraging. I really want to get Emperor as well, since the guy's kind of a dick and I don't want to hang out with him on my next playthrough. I noticed that you weren't a fan of Fortune - he's actually the only S.Link that I reversed during the game. Unfortunately for him, he was at too low of a level too late in the game for me to even consider attempting to get him back on my side, so I just dropped him. Surprisingly, Gourmet King and Bebe don't seem to care how much I ignore them, they're still happy as can be.

Knight
04-24-2008, 12:32 PM
I will warn you, that it is easy to despair on some of the Tartarus floor bosses. Especially later on when they stop having obvious elemental weaknesses. But there is always a strategy to be employed (as an SMT newb it was usually using some sets of skills I hadn't even heard of before) and I guarantee that you will get more pleasure out of figuring it out yourself. At worst come here and ask for hints rather than going straight to GameFAQs. Once you start down that dark road, you will be consumed by it.
This was a problem for me when I was playing the original P3. I got to this boss that used wind and poison attacks, and after getting completely wrecked 3 times, I decided to just level up and try later. Before starting my next Tartarus run, I messed with fusions and found a persona that was immune to wind and could cure poison. He dropped easily on my next attempt since I kept to healing and left Junpei on the floor.
(Spoiler'd text in case he wants to figure it out for himself)

Pseudonym
04-24-2008, 01:54 PM
About a month ago I decided I would plow through the rest of P3 before FES came out and go for 100% S-links on my FES run. Well, I didn't get it done. I'm right at the first January Tararus boss. Last I left off I was grinding my team up in levels to take it out. As FES is waiting for me at home right now, is it worth finishing up my current game? I'm a little reluctant to give up so close to the end, but on the other hand it seems a little silly to go on if I'm just starting the game over.

Torgo
04-24-2008, 03:17 PM
So I started The Journey this morning and have put in a few hours.

You guys win.

As has been suggested, I'm just going to play the game by the seat of my pants and not look up anything on it. By nature I'm not a completionist anyway, so having to max stuff out isn't a concern, just having a good time.

One impression I'm getting though: I'm seeing event dates and places being mentioned. Should I be taking notes?

spineshark
04-24-2008, 03:23 PM
No. You can't miss anything, unless you're super-lame and go straight home to bed every afternoon.

I've picked this up again, I had somewhat forgotten how much I love it. And for people who haven't played before, I envy you so bad. I can't bring myself to skip through the dialogue or anything.

tungwene
04-24-2008, 03:24 PM
If you're talking about the morning conversations you hear in front of the school and sometimes crop up during social link that's in special color font, yes that's all pretty important. Usually they are hints of other social links that have opened up (you meet other people through other people and word of mouth which is an excellent touch) and stuff you can do during the day such as the shopping network and arcade (which is new).

Also, if the dates you're talking about are the deadlines for requests, pay close attention to that. I got what I needed for the first such dated request from Yukari. That type of request is something new so I haven't quite figured out the pattern to it. I'd suggest talking to everyone on the noted day to find what Elizabeth wants for now.

Tomm Guycot
04-24-2008, 03:28 PM
There are only 2 tips you need to fully appreciate Persona 3 without resorting to a guide/FAQ:

1) When fusing Personas, you can see the "result" Persona before committing. Look at his skills. If he is missing a skill (from the 2 "parents") that you want, just cancel out twice. Re-select the fusion. Check the skills. Repeat. You can do this as long as you want with no consequence until you have the perfect Persona.

2) ALWAYS "Register" YOUR PERSONAS. Repeatedly. Whenever you are in the Velvet Room. This allows you to buy back the Persona you fused (ie. 5 levels higher with 4 more skills than when you got it) instead of the base-level of that Persona.

tungwene
04-24-2008, 03:31 PM
2) ALWAYS "Register" YOUR PERSONAS. Repeatedly. Whenever you are in the Velvet Room. This allows you to buy back the Persona you fused (ie. 5 levels higher with 4 more skills than when you got it) instead of the base-level of that Persona.A short addendum. Make sure the Compendium is available before you start fusing away like crazy. On my first time through I accidentally fused away Orpheus before I could register him and it took me awhile to get him back. Or maybe feel free to fuse away all the Persona you get from cards but don't fuse Orpheus until you can first save him.

MCBanjoMike
04-24-2008, 03:51 PM
1) When fusing Personas, you can see the "result" Persona before committing. Look at his skills. If he is missing a skill (from the 2 "parents") that you want, just cancel out twice. Re-select the fusion. Check the skills. Repeat. You can do this as long as you want with no consequence until you have the perfect Persona.

Just a slight clarification to the good Mr. Guycott's excellent advice: you get a different set of hand-me-down skills every time you reselect the personae that you want to fuse. So the number of times that you must cancel depends on the number of personae in the fusion - you always have to deselect them all before trying again, otherwise you'll get the same spread of skills.

And don't be afraid of ditching your favorite persona once the compendium is open, you're not obligated to hold on to them (I kept Orpheus for a really long time since I wasn't sure if I should fuse him or not).

Go get 'em, tiger!

djSyndrome
04-24-2008, 03:56 PM
Just a slight clarification to the good Mr. Guycott's excellent advice: you get a different set of hand-me-down skills every time you reselect the personae that you want to fuse. So the number of times that you must cancel depends on the number of personae in the fusion - you always have to deselect them all before trying again, otherwise you'll get the same spread of skills.

And don't be afraid of ditching your favorite persona once the compendium is open, you're not obligated to hold on to them (I kept Orpheus for a really long time since I wasn't sure if I should fuse him or not).

Go get 'em, tiger!

Addendum number two: there is a definite science to which skills get passed on - some are much less likely than others - so don't be surprised if some skills require hundreds of tries to come up. Just keep trying!

O..O~
04-24-2008, 04:18 PM
God the music that plays in the dorm is unbearable. What the hell is the guy rapping about? Don't make a scene at a party? What party is he talking about, I wasn't invited to a party!

Torgo
04-24-2008, 06:06 PM
Many thanks for the tips. Especially on the fusion business. I haven't touched it yet, but it's good to know. There's so much stuff you can get around to doing that it feels a little overwhelming. I'm only on May 1st and I sort of feel like I'm falling behind, and I'm only reached 6F At this point is it bad that I bail before any of my characters get tired? I figure since my only other party members are Yukari and Junpei that the last thing I need is them getting tired or sick and having to spending several nights letting them rest.

Tomm Guycot
04-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Tired doesn't mean "time to leave"

Tired means "you were here too long"

tungwene
04-24-2008, 06:13 PM
Why did you trick me into watching a video about Ikutski making awful puns, Mitsuru? What in the world did I ever do to you to deserve that?

Eirikr
04-24-2008, 06:23 PM
I want to be level 69 already in The Answer so bad.

Mara, I'm coming for you, baby!!

Torgo
04-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Tired doesn't mean "time to leave"

Tired means "you were here too long"
So I'm doing it right then.

It's just bizarre for me. I'm used to be able to plow through every single fight I come across and, in the case of dungeon crawls, explore every last nook and cranny of a given area or floor. Here I have to strike a balance between combat and exploration.

SamuelMarston
04-24-2008, 08:05 PM
If I'm exiting Tartarus at the first chance I get, and Junpei is still getting tired does that mean I am fighting too much and should just make more progress?

Also: I'm sure this has been touched on before, but what exactly does "FES" stand for?

Eirikr
04-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Also: I'm sure this has been touched on before, but what exactly does "FES" stand for?

FEStival.

I just got Cuchulainn in The Answer and absolutely pasted the next boss I fought. Coincidence? I think not.

sraymonds
04-24-2008, 08:54 PM
Not really game related at all, but I really like the front and back covers of the manual.

spineshark
04-24-2008, 09:00 PM
Those are the two game covers from the Japanese versions, the front being the add-on disc and the back being the one from the standalone version.

MCBanjoMike
04-24-2008, 09:10 PM
So earlier this evening I made my first serious attempt at taking down The Reaper. And, uh, not so successful. How the hell are you supposed to beat him if Monad isn't available in FES until you do? Afterwards, I went in and made some crazy levels, so I think I stand a better chance now.

estragon
04-24-2008, 09:24 PM
How the hell are you supposed to beat him if SPOILER isn't available in FES until you do?

As someone who has only played the FES version, I can tell you the answer:

Strategy and persistance. It was last November or so, but I think I eventually did it with an Aegis/Yukari/Mitsuru party, if I remember. Aegis doing buffs, Yukari healing, and Mitsuru doing her strongest attack magic (with an item equipped to buff ice elemental attacks). I think I had the main character mostly using Hell's Angel so he could absorb fire attacks (which I think happened often?), and also because it had his strongest and most cost efficient offensive spells at the time. Also, there's some AI command that makes Mitsuru more likely to use Concentrate (I think that's what it's called . . . it's the one where they use a turn to boost their magic power . . .). That's useful, if only to save turns that would be otherwise wasted on using items to restore TP (MP?SP? what was it called in this game?).

It was hard, but I basically felt like a genius afterwards.

My other advice, which I didn't do at the time but which would have made it much easier in retrospect, is to use any awesome items you have, because if you can beat The Reaper then the final boss is basically a joke. (Note: Advice not valid if you plan on fighting the super secret post-game ultimate boss, which I totally did not and never will.)

Torgo
04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
Why did you trick me into watching a video about Ikutski making awful puns, Mitsuru? What in the world did I ever do to you to deserve that?

VorpalEdge
04-24-2008, 10:53 PM
Started The Answer.

The first enemy I fought was a glowing pink one. It pretty much killed me instantly. So glad I saved.

I managed to make it down to the first floor boss before dying again. Beat the thing the second time I fought it. I had managed to lock the battle into a situation where I couldn't lose (by knocking everything down every turn with Maragi and Garula), but I was running out of SP faster than it was running out of HP and so, when I ran low, I ended up just blitzing the boss. It was nice and didn't screw me over in two turns, and so I killed it, and then the minions it had were trivial. I'm really glad they're giving me all of the elemental spells immediately.

Then I got killed right after going past the first floor boss. Amusingly enough, it was by the same enemies that murdered me at the beginning of the game (the snakes, whose names I forget, that cast Mazionga), except there were fewer of them.

I think I like the difficulty increase, but if it gets much higher it could easily start to become tedious. I mean, it's already at mid/lategame difficulty here, except the enemies are less elaborate because you have fewer options.

Question: Is there a tactic I can tell Metis to use that will cause her to attack primarily with spells (namely, Garula) or normal attacks, even if she can't knock the enemy down? Honestly, she seems to be killing herself with the HP drain from Fatal End more than she seems to be killing enemies. I'm thinking of something like Conserve SP, except for HP, and I'm hoping that I'm overlooking something like this in one of the existing tactics. The solution I know of, memorizing the turn order for each separate battle and using Rush, is just annoying and stupid.

Eirikr
04-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Question: Is there a tactic I can tell Metis to use that will cause her to attack primarily with spells (namely, Garula) or normal attacks, even if she can't knock the enemy down? Honestly, she seems to be killing herself with the HP drain from Fatal End more than she seems to be killing enemies. I'm thinking of something like Conserve SP, except for HP, and I'm hoping that I'm overlooking something like this in one of the existing tactics. The solution I know of, memorizing the turn order for each separate battle and using Rush, is just annoying and stupid.

No, apparently. The best thing to do is to have Fuuka scan everything so that if an enemy has a weakness she can exploit, she'll do that instead. It's frustrating when she uses Fatal End on an enemy that reflects it right back at her.

Ruik
04-25-2008, 12:01 AM

whhyyyyyyy?

spineshark
04-25-2008, 03:39 AM
Playing Persona 2 after P3 made them feel...not like they were really in the same series. Looking at P3 anew, however, causes me to see all sorts of connections and references, some of which may not exist. I've watched the beginnings of both parts again, although I haven't spent much time playing either of them.

First, there's the butterfly. In Persona 2 it was Philemon, and in vanilla P3 it appeared in some of the anime scenes but was never really explained. Considering that it seems to play heavily into the opening of The Answer (and is something of a motif on Metis' costume) I'm very interested to see where this is going.

The music choices you can take in The Answer are remixed versions of songs from Persona 1 and 2. I've known this for quite a while, since I've had the soundtrack, but I was really wondering how they'd be used. It seems so obvious in retrospect. Anyway, it's kind of funny, the songs from P2 have been reversed in mood. A lot. Track 3 (Maya's Theme) is changed from a driving synth melody to a poignant piano and orchestral piece, while the lounging atmosphere of Time Castle was turned incredibly rocking. Personally, I don't think 1-3 go very well in the dungeon, but 4 certainly does. The default is actually my favorite though, regardless of the fact that I've listened to it so many times (the ten-minute monster is my 6th most played song on itunes, and would be second if I could add my old mp3 player's statistics to it).

"Nobody takes rumors seriously anyway." Coincidence? I suppose it's possible. Why would I want to believe that though?

And then there's the bizarre parallel of having part 1 about the high school student, while part 2 follows his primary female sidekick in a bizarre otherworld...this is going to be good.

tungwene
04-25-2008, 04:17 AM
I'd always thought the butterfly had something to do with Pharos/Ryoji/Thanatos. At least that's the connection my mind has formed and I'm not sure I can point out the reason for my association. But I suspect The Answer will provide more.

Also, the rushing through the dark corridor to the open door of the velvet room reminds me a lot of the light and circular place with the columns you see every time you meet Philemon. Coincidentally, it's also the game over screen in P2 just like the way you return to the velvet room in the P3 game over screen.

I don't remember much of the music from P2 aside from the convenience store theme and the ever lovely Velvet Room theme, all of them in fact since I totally dig classical piano. I'll make note of that as I'm playing The Answer.

I noticed the "rumors" line too in my first playthrough. I can't remember if I mentioned it here back then or not but I know I pointed it out at other forums. Also, it took my second playthrough for it to "click" how the rumor system from P2 had been implemented in P3. In P2 you picked up rumors by running around and talking to rumormongers, sometimes the people you got them from were blips on the map, took them to Kuzunoha, and paid to get them spread. In retrospect it was a really tedious process (especially compared to how P3 handles the idea) but I remember at the time thinking it was an ingenious idea to control what equipment and services were available to you. In a standard jRPG it would be like the subsequent towns having better and better equipment but that didn't work because you never set foot outside Sumaru. What P3 did with the rumor system was of course streamline it. Now the source of your rumors are students chatting in front of the gate of the school and your S. Links. Instead of running around town gathering rumors on foot they are instead presented to you by the people you will spend the most time hanging around with in the game. The shopping network, antique store, etc. all become open at controlled points in the game but the system had been simplified so much I didn't notice it at all until just now. Time dictates changes in the game, not place, in other words you don't run around to actively trigger an event, the event is what happens to you.

If The Answer plays out like EP I hope this means we meet the protagonist as well.

TheSL
04-25-2008, 06:13 AM
So I think I'm doing a little better on this playthrough than the partial(~June 29th) one I did on the original release. It honestly feels like there's not really any way to lose as long as you figure out each enemy's weakness. I think I was maybe 1/2 the level I was the first time I played through the first full moon(second? does the intro really count?) and still had so issues with what was thrown at me.

Pooch
04-25-2008, 06:29 AM
So I re-started the Journey on Hard, and on the first floor I had the misfortune of having two enemies cast Agi on me back-to-back, which I had absolutely no defense against, and thus I died. Thankfully that seemed to be more bad luck than the norm, as I haven't died since.

I also dipped my toe into the Answer briefly. I concluded that the enemies in that game must have insane Evasion rates...or at least that's what I told myself when over a third (if not closer to a half) of Aigis's attacks missed in the short time I played. Still, I really liked what I saw in that brief session.

MCBanjoMike
04-25-2008, 08:38 AM
It honestly feels like there's not really any way to lose as long as you figure out each enemy's weakness.

Things will change, count on it.

So I just picked up my copy of FES, yay! Of course, I'm only about 10 days away from the end of the original P3, so I'll be seeing that through before starting. I'm making great progress with Empress, but Emperor is being a huge pain in the ass and I don't know if I'll be able to max his S.Link before running out of time. Also, I kind of wish that I'd never started Lovers, 'cause I probably would have been able to finish Strength if I hadn't. Ah well, live and learn.

Also, if The Reaper is that much tougher than Nyx, perhaps I'll give him a miss this time through - or maybe I'll finish the game first, then go back and do it. It's hard to focus on the end-game stuff when you have the new version to play...

Gredlen
04-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Guys, I have a couple of Empress's Masks and Wealth Coins. They say they might be valuable, so... do I just sell them?
And what does cat food do? I thought I could go feed that weak cat near the station. =(

Also, this game is awesome.

tungwene
04-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Guys, I have a couple of Empress's Masks and Wealth Coins. They say they might be valuable, so... do I just sell them?
And what does cat food do? I thought I could go feed that weak cat near the station. =(

Also, this game is awesome.Yeah, sell those things. You need the cat food for a request but you can't do it until Elizabeth asks you to.

spineshark
04-25-2008, 03:09 PM
Also, if , perhaps I'll give him a miss this time through - or maybe I'll finish the game first, then go back and do it. It's hard to focus on the end-game stuff when you have the new version to play...
Top four hardest battles in P3 (on an absolute scale, not relative to when they're necessarily available):
Secret Boss
(Imagine a few dozen spaces right here, for impact)
Void Giant x3 (random Monad encounter)
The optional boss you're talking about
The Final Boss

Now the source of your rumors are students chatting in front of the gate of the school and your S. Links. Instead of running around town gathering rumors on foot they are instead presented to you by the people you will spend the most time hanging around with in the game. The shopping network, antique store, etc. all become open at controlled points in the game but the system had been simplified so much I didn't notice it at all until just now. Time dictates changes in the game, not place, in other words you don't run around to actively trigger an event, the event is what happens to you.
Oh...of course!

StriderDL
04-25-2008, 04:14 PM
It came early!!!!

Right in the middle of me writing my final reports and papers.....
This could get messy.

Already played a bit, went into Tartarus one time on my own, everyone got tired after maybe 5 fights (lazy pricks). But I am enjoying it so far!

Eirikr
04-25-2008, 04:56 PM
The music choices you can take in The Answer are remixed versions of songs from Persona 1 and 2. I've known this for quite a while, since I've had the soundtrack, but I was really wondering how they'd be used. It seems so obvious in retrospect. Anyway, it's kind of funny, the songs from P2 have been reversed in mood. A lot. Track 3 (Maya's Theme) is changed from a driving synth melody to a poignant piano and orchestral piece, while the lounging atmosphere of Time Castle was turned incredibly rocking.

I have all the soundtracks to the earlier Persona games, but I'm not familiar with the music. Could you fill me in on the track numbers within the P1 and P2 OSTs of the tracks remixed in Fes?

Gredlen
04-25-2008, 06:10 PM
So when you double up after a battle, is the next set of cards always Personas? I managed to double up twice, and all three cards I'd picked were Personas I already had...

ringworm
04-25-2008, 06:55 PM
So when you double up after a battle, is the next set of cards always Personas? I managed to double up twice, and all three cards I'd picked were Personas I already had...
It is extremely weird that even after playing it for 80 hours I can't remember for sure, but I think the second set is always personas.

MCBanjoMike
04-25-2008, 07:34 PM

Yesterday I was playing and I got to double up with cards that weren't personas. HOWEVER! I was in Monad at the time, which might explain it. Actually, I managed to get both the 9 and 10 of Wands after a big fight, which led to my main character gaining 65535 experience! I guess that's the most that can be earned from one fight, unless it's a total coincidence that I hit power of 2 (well, sort of). It was wicked.

Ruik
04-25-2008, 07:45 PM
So I was doing a dungeon run a few days after midterms. A couple floors in a got a message "getting some strange readings," the entire floor had no enemies, but lots of chests. A few floors later I got a "careful, there are lots of enemies" message; except, all of the enemies were the golden dudes. I kill a couple and death shows up, I'm tempted to get one more (just one more i swear, well, maybe one after that too) before leaving, but he booking it straight for me. I make a quick dash to the exit, but one of my guys got separated and if I leave I'll have to leave them behind. I heroically go to help, then heroically run away as my first move. Death despawns so I go through the rest of the stage, but whats this? I hear the chains clinking again and I'm nowhere near the exit, ooooh shit. Luckily I get to run away again and quietly exit the stage. And now I'm rich, mwhahahaha.

spineshark
04-25-2008, 11:07 PM
I don't have a P1 soundtrack. Which is all the more disappointing seeing as I've had the chance to purchase it.

For Persona 2, go for IS Disc 1 track 22 or EP Disc 1 Track 2 for Maya's Theme. There's the "sad" version on IS Disc 2, Track 24.

Time Castle is Disc 1 Track 6 on both. The two versions are really close in this case though.

P2's soundtracks are incredible though, so you should listen to them (or really, play them, but that's beside the point, slightly). I submit the following in particular as completely awesome.

Peace Diner (IS 1-26)
Kasugayama High School (IS 1-31)
Mt. Katatsumuri (IS 2-18)
Kashihara (IS 2-43)

Zodiac (EP 1-18)
Nichirinmaru (EP 2-12)
Illusions (EP 2-13)

Already played a bit, went into Tartarus one time on my own, everyone got tired after maybe 5 fights (lazy pricks). But I am enjoying it so far!
Yes, your party's endurance is absolutely pathetic at the beginning. It'll get longer later, but there's not much point in fighting a lot early on anyway. Tomm's comment about "you were here too long" doesn't really apply yet, since there's nothing you can do about the fact that they get worn out so fast.

ScrambledGregs
04-26-2008, 07:35 AM
I forced myself to buy this game because I need something to take me away from WoW for awhile AND I've been hankering for a good jRPG/dungeon crawler. After 5 hours, my thoughts...

--I'm going to purposely play through the game without looking up anything online. This is how I used to play RPGs, and knowing all the "best" stuff ahead of time ruins the experience for me.

--HOLY FUCK the first hour/hour and a half of the game is irritating. This is one of those divides between how our cultures play games, I think, because you don't actually do anything of your own accord until the game is done with its scripted crap.

--I am playing the game and its social links as though it was my life. So, I've joined the track team (I've recently got into jogging, so...) and played that MMORPG once.

--Is it weird that I think I'm enjoying the life/dating sim aspect of the game as much, if not more, than the dungeon crawler part??

--Why do I have to talk to my party members to change their equipment?? This also makes shopping for upgrades deucibly hard because so far I don't know a way to tell if it'll be an improvement for them unless I buy stuff and manually go see if it's better. Am I missing something??

--Watching your characters shoot themselves in the head never gets old.

djSyndrome
04-26-2008, 07:37 AM
--Why do I have to talk to my party members to change their equipment?? This also makes shopping for upgrades deucibly hard because so far I don't know a way to tell if it'll be an improvement for them unless I buy stuff and manually go see if it's better. Am I missing something??

While you're shopping, you can press left or right to move between characters to see what they currently have equipped.

Thinaran
04-26-2008, 08:26 AM
After three days of shipping time, FES is not in my filthy European hands!

The menu music is beautiful.

sraymonds
04-26-2008, 08:26 AM
--Is it weird that I think I'm enjoying the life/dating sim aspect of the game as much, if not more, than the dungeon crawler part??

Join the club, we have a secret handshake and more!

MCBanjoMike
04-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Ladies and germs, I have finally done it! Last night I finished the main story of P3 - details of the endgame follow, so don't read if you just bought FES on Thursday.

I think I managed to find a good level to fight Nyx at - it was just enough of a challenge to be nerve-wracking, but I managed to beat..uh, him...on my first try. My main character was level 83 and his buddies (Akihiko, Yukari and Mitsuru, my favorites) were in the 70-73 range. I had fused a wicked Metatron who was immune to most magic attacks (and charm) and who had Medigolaon, but no support skills - I wound up using him exclusively for the last 2 or 3 forms after hearing Tungwene's horror stories about charmed party members healing the boss for 6000 HP. There were some tense moments - during the hama and mudo-heavy forms of Nyx, it got to the point where the only person standing was my main character, since he was immune. Thankfully, he had good defense and a ridiculous stock of healing items which I had accumulated over the game without trying to. Seriously, I had 14 somas and 8 balms of life, I could fully heal the party every two or three turns without switching away from my "safe" persona. Anyway, it took for-frigging-ever, I think I invested a good two hours getting to and beating Nyx, and then there's the ending...

Which left me a bit confused. Did the main character...die? If so, why? Then again, don't answer that, it's given me a ridiculous desire to start up The Answer right away to learn more. I suppose before I do that I'll want to go back and fuse as many high-level personas as I can afford, though, since it looks like beating The Reaper in FES won't be easy.

As Mickey Scymon would say, "This is only the beginning!"

estragon
04-26-2008, 10:00 AM
Then again, don't answer that, it's given me a ridiculous desire to start up The Answer right away to learn more.

It answers this question at the very beginning, possibly too clearly and goes on to explore it in detail. One of my problems with Episode Aegis/The Answer was that the story seemed to take a lot of unanswered questions from Episode Yourself/The Journey and make them too obvious, sort of ruining the ambiguity of the ending in retrospect. It's good fan service, but it does sometimes feel a bit like a stretch to tack on more content. There is a near end-game boss sequence that feels particularly contrived. You'll know when you get there.

The gameplay challenge is great, however.

spineshark
04-26-2008, 10:20 AM
It is extremely weird that even after playing it for 80 hours I can't remember for sure, but I think the second set is always personas.Mostly.
Yesterday I was playing and I got to double up with cards that weren't personas. HOWEVER! I was in[/COLOR]
Yes. I don't remember it happening other times and it's massively useful there. Even at level 98 I think you can still gain an instant level up getting double wands.

Torgo
04-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Any tips on how to get those rare monsters before they run away? Even when I try to sneak up on 'em they notice me, and once they start running I can't catch up before they disappear.

Gredlen
04-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Any tips on how to get those rare monsters before they run away? Even when I try to sneak up on 'em they notice me, and once they start running I can't catch up before they disappear.

I would very much like to know this as well. I did manage to fight one, but that was before I took the request. =(

Ruik
04-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Its impossible to catch them if they run. You have to sneak up directly behind them, they see peripherally way better then other monsters. Wait till it starts moving away from you, line up with its path way behind it, then run in and hit it.

tungwene
04-26-2008, 10:54 AM
Any tips on how to get those rare monsters before they run away? Even when I try to sneak up on 'em they notice me, and once they start running I can't catch up before they disappear.Equip a bow. You can snipe them from farther away. Also, you must be standing directly behind them for them not to see you.

SamuelMarston
04-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Igor says that some personas CANNOT inherit some skills. How do I know when they cannot acquire the skill I'm looking for instead of when it is going to take 100 tries?

I was trying to fuse a Nekomata with Agi and Bufu, but Bufu never seems to spawn. Is this because Nekomata already has fire and cannot acquire ice?

Eirikr
04-26-2008, 01:51 PM
I was trying to fuse a Nekomata with Agi and Bufu, but Bufu never seems to spawn. Is this because Nekomata already has fire and cannot acquire ice?

Yes. Personas with specific elemental affinities either have a near impossible chance of carrying other elements over or it actually is impossible. However, keep a look out for personas that start off with more than one element - they have an easier chance of bundling up a lot of different elements.

SamuelMarston
04-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes. Personas with specific elemental affinities either have a near impossible chance of carrying other elements over or it actually is impossible. However, keep a look out for personas that start off with more than one element - they have an easier chance of bundling up a lot of different elements.

Thanks! Good to know! I could have been fuse-testing for hours!

Torgo
04-26-2008, 04:22 PM
I just got to the second full moon [[and the Emperor and Empress just totally kicked my ass.]] It was over before it even began.

I really hope my ass isn't against the wall and I find myself in an unsalvageable situation. I really don't want to repeat the last fifteen hours.

Tomm Guycot
04-26-2008, 04:26 PM
I just got to the second full moon [[and the Emperor and Empress just totally kicked my ass.]] It was over before it even began.

I really hope my ass isn't against the wall and I find myself in an unsalvageable situation. I really don't want to repeat the last fifteen hours.

If you can beat the Tartarus bosses of that section, you can beat the story boss no problem.

Torgo
04-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Alright then. Maybe I just had some bad luck; [[Both of them dished out entire-party attacks that dropped Junpei and Akihiko right off the bat.]]

Eirikr
04-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Alright then. Maybe I just had some bad luck;

Yes, those two are built for that battle, as you'll find out.

Also prepare to realize that certain Tartarus bosses are harder than the story bosses. You're a ways away from them, though.

Knight
04-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Thanks! Good to know! I could have been fuse-testing for hours!
If you want a good starter persona, I think Lilim can use all 4 elements. I know I used her for a long time until the group target and second tier of spells became more of a necessity.

Eirikr
04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Dammit, I can't get Mara in The Answer!

I thought he was level 69, not just for yuks, but because I was sure I saw that somewhere. I know he's level 69 in SMT II, so maybe I got it confused there.

Anyway, I'm level 71 in The Answer, so there can't be much more to go...

djSyndrome
04-26-2008, 10:18 PM
In The Answer, I managed to fuse a Black Frost with Maragi, Mabufu, Garula, Hama, Mahama, and Mudo. I'M READY FOR ANYTHING.

MCBanjoMike
04-26-2008, 10:41 PM
All right, I spent a few more hours leveling up and filling out my compendium, and my first round of P3 is now officially over. I've got about 85% of the compendium, including every max S.Link persona except Heirophant; according to a guide I saw, you can't get that persona without also maxing out the Temperance S.Link? Maybe the guide is wrong, but I don't think I'll have the patience to find out.

Of course, I stopped feeling all smart once I realized that in FES you start over at level 1 and they probably won't let me summon any of these cool uber-personae.

I also took down the one and only Reaper. He wasn't too bad by the time I was at level 88 or so, with the same party I used to beat the big bad (probably around level 80 for the other characters). I still shudder to think of how you would beat him in FES...

So that's it for round one! In the end, I'll probably dive into The Answer first, since I'm dying to know what's going on - but I may play through MGS first to cleanse the palate.

Gredlen
04-26-2008, 11:09 PM
Kenji's mad at me because I canceled our plans on Sunday in favor of Chihiro. Normally, I'd totally agree that it was a dick thing to do, but...

1. CHIHIRO

and

2. I'm at the part in her social link where she's getting harassed for supposedly embezzling money. I've gotta be there to support her, man!

estragon
04-26-2008, 11:48 PM
Of course, I stopped feeling all smart once I realized that in FES you start over at level 1 and they probably won't let me summon any of these cool uber-personae.

There's tons of misinformation about this, but there is no information transfer between the two different episodes at all. Nothing you do in The Journey affects any part of The Answer.

spineshark
04-27-2008, 12:10 AM
There's tons of misinformation about this, but there is no information transfer between the two different episodes at all. Nothing you do in The Journey affects any part of The Answer.
Yes, but also the information transfer if you have an original P3 save, to "The Journey" in FES, doesn't include a lot of things that I would like (for example, my Alice with Mediarahan and Mahamaon...I can transfer *an* Alice, but she's not mine).

Also, yes it's true, you cannot make the special Hierophant persona without Byakko from the Temperance S. Link.

P.S. Phone reversals suck but don't let them ruin your day. They happen. At least until you know a little better.

Torgo
04-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Kenji's mad at me because I canceled our plans on Sunday in favor of Chihiro. Normally, I'd totally agree that it was a dick thing to do, but...
Well, maybe Kenji would be available to hang out a little more if he wasn't [[so busy with his old lady]].

Torgo
04-27-2008, 01:59 AM
I'm glad that only took two tries to beat. I wasn't going to be in the mood to sit through twenty minutes of plot for a third time. It went a lot better this time, but it was still kind of pins and needles. [Stupid Emperor kept changing his weakness to piercing.] It's not often I have to stay on my toes like that in an rpg though.

MCBanjoMike
04-27-2008, 07:31 AM

That's not what I was referring to, I was talking about an eventual replay of The Journey. Thing is, between the first play (which took me 85 hours!) and The Answer, I'm going to want to minimize my Tartarus time and just see all of the S.Links that I missed. Initially I had thought that I could scrape together the cash and resummon Metatron or something, but I'm assuming that I won't be able to use my awesome top-tier personae until I make it to an appropriate level. So dang.

ringworm
04-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Stuff about not understanding the ending to The Journey.
It's almost too bad you have FES to answer this for you, actually. Back in the day we had lots of really good posts discussing the ending, and I think that made it more meaningful than it'll be just to be told what the sitch is. In any case, I think The Journey has makes it clear enough what went down if you analyze what you know enough (and were paying attention). I kinda get a little irritated when people like Bettenhausen say that it was open-ended or whatever.

KCar
04-27-2008, 07:57 AM
I think I'm going to finish up my Emperor S-Link before starting FES, because I didn't complete it my first time through the game, and if I have to suck up to this asshole a third time I may end up shooting myself.

I hate that guy so much. Do you figure that someone like him is less odious in Japanese culture? I also want to slap the gourmet king.

SilentSnake
04-27-2008, 08:02 AM
I thought it was funny that the gourmet king was part of a cult. Not the storyline I was expecting.

ringworm
04-27-2008, 08:03 AM
I hate that guy so much. Do you figure that someone like him is less odious in Japanese culture?
Man, fucking emperor. That dude was a douche. I powered through it on my first playthrough and I sort of took it as a lesson that sometimes to climb the ladder you need to go along with the people in power. I think he was made to be an unlikable asshole on purpose, and I think he ;earns a valuable lesson about power and friendship in the end too!

Pooch
04-27-2008, 10:51 AM
Thing is, between the first play (which took me 85 hours!) and The Answer, I'm going to want to minimize my Tartarus time and just see all of the S.Links that I missed. Initially I had thought that I could scrape together the cash and resummon Metatron or something, but I'm assuming that I won't be able to use my awesome top-tier personae until I make it to an appropriate level. So dang.

I could be wrong (and if I am, someone will correct me very quickly), but I think once you have a persona in the Compendium, you can summon them regardless of your level (unlike when you fuse personas)...as I had the same idea as you when I re-started the Journey in FES. However, since most of the high-end summons cost well over 1 million Yen to take out of the Compendium, that idea went away very quickly.

Balrog
04-27-2008, 11:01 AM
For some reason I think of TT people when I play this. That emperor reminded me of djsyndrome...

SamuelMarston
04-27-2008, 11:13 AM
Is there any way to view all of the enemies you've analyzed? I beat the third Tartarus boss last night, but I didn't do it well and I was wondering if I could find his card anywhere in the game.

spineshark
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I could be wrong (and if I am, someone will correct me very quickly), but I think once you have a persona in the Compendium, you can summon them regardless of your level (unlike when you fuse personas)...as I had the same idea as you when I re-started the Journey in FES. However, since most of the high-end summons cost well over 1 million Yen to take out of the Compendium, that idea went away very quickly.
This was never an issue before Fes, because once you made a persona you could always summon it on your file. It was based on their base level, so if you had a persona 5 levels above you (from S. Links) it didn't matter, and your level would never go down, even on replays.

In Nocturne, this was definitely the case (but you couldn't roll over Macca, which was its own kind of restriction), but P3 simply has no precedent at all for this.

SamuelMarston
04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
This was never an issue before Fes, because once you made a persona you could always summon it on your file. It was based on their base level, so if you had a persona 5 levels above you (from S. Links) it didn't matter, and your level would never go down, even on replays.

In Nocturne, this was definitely the case (but you couldn't roll over Macca, which was its own kind of restriction), but P3 simply has no precedent at all for this.

So in FES fewer things carry over in NewGame+ than in the original version?

spineshark
04-27-2008, 11:26 AM
Carrying over data from one version to a new game on the same version should be equivalent (money, level, compendium, etc.). Carrying data from the P3 you bought last summer into Fes is much more limited.

SamuelMarston
04-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Carrying over data from one version to a new game on the same version should be equivalent (money, level, compendium, etc.). Carrying data from the P3 you bought last summer into Fes is much more limited.

That's a relief.

MCBanjoMike
04-27-2008, 11:44 AM

1 million? Maybe if you go for Messiah, but I know that some of my favorites (like the aforementioned Metatron) are in the 2-300,000 yen range. I recall there being a few of Elizabeth's requests that offer rewards in that range, so if I'm frugal I can probably call forth a real powerhouse fairly early in the game to speed my dungeoning.

Sapper Gopher
04-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Quick question from P3 newcomer who's trying to avoid guides on the 1st playthrough: Can you screw yourself by not advancing far enough into the dungeon by a certain date?

VorpalEdge
04-27-2008, 12:20 PM
You probably can, but you'd have to actively avoid the dungeon to do so.

Generally, just get to the top of the current block by the full moon of that month. It lets you fulfill Elizabeth's quests and so on. Plus, if you can beat all of the floor bosses up to that point, winning against the story bosses shouldn't be too hard.

As a curious example, Mitsuru forces you to go to Tartarus on one of the last days in the first month if you haven't gone at all besides the tutorial mission. I don't know if this happens for all of the other months, but the game does recognize that you need to go.

PapillonReel
04-27-2008, 12:43 PM
Quick question from P3 newcomer who's trying to avoid guides on the 1st playthrough: Can you screw yourself by not advancing far enough into the dungeon by a certain date?

It's impossible. Even if you were to put off Tartarus until the Full Moon, the game essentially forces you to save the day before, so you'll always have that one last chance to level up (though in FES you can still get tired on those nights, though you'll never be tired on the day of the actual Full Moon since you'll stay home and rest on those days.).

KCar
04-27-2008, 01:12 PM
Hey guys. I just started playing today, and I've made it through the first block in one play session. I'm starting in on the requests, and that's going dandy, but I have NO IDEA where the archery club is to get the resin. I've been all over the school (I think) on 05/02, the date that Elizabeth recommended. I've got it paused right now - I don't want to waste the opportunity, and I can't save unless I go back to the dorm and advance the day. Little help?

Pooch
04-27-2008, 01:15 PM
1 million? Maybe if you go for Messiah, but I know that some of my favorites (like the aforementioned Metatron) are in the 2-300,000 yen range. I recall there being a few of Elizabeth's requests that offer rewards in that range, so if I'm frugal I can probably call forth a real powerhouse fairly early in the game to speed my dungeoning.

I checked my compendium again, and while only five of my personae go for over 1 million yen (and about nine or ten are within shouting distance), one of them is Metatron (it's actually my third most expensive persona). Of course, you can still get some decent personae around level 30 for around 100,000 yen, so you should definitely be able to get something good if you save up.

Hey guys. I just started playing today, and I've made it through the first block in one play session. I'm starting in on the requests, and that's going dandy, but I have NO IDEA where the archery club is to get the resin. I've been all over the school (I think) on 05/02, the date that Elizabeth recommended. I've got it paused right now - I don't want to waste the opportunity, and I can't save unless I go back to the dorm and advance the day. Little help?

I had the exact same worries as you. Just talk to Yukari back at the dorm in the evening.

PapillonReel
04-27-2008, 01:18 PM

I think you have to ask Yukari for it, either during the day or at night.

MCBanjoMike
04-27-2008, 01:23 PM
I checked my compendium again, and while only five of my personae go for over 1 million yen (and about nine or ten are within shouting distance), one of them is Metatron (it's actually my third most expensive persona). Of course, you can still get some decent personae around level 30 for around 100,000 yen, so you should definitely be able to get something good if you save up.

I don't know what you did to him, but the default price is less than 300k. You can make them more expensive by upgrading them, so maybe you levelled him a lot or used various cards? It's funny, I just realized that I finished the game without using a single card to boost my personae's stats.

KCar
04-27-2008, 01:23 PM
Thanks guys. You're awesome.

PapillonReel
04-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I don't know what you did to him, but the default price is less than 300k. You can make them more expensive by upgrading them, so maybe you levelled him a lot or used various cards? It's funny, I just realized that I finished the game without using a single card to boost my personae's stats.

Actually, what difficulties are you both playing on? That might explain the huge price difference.

Pooch
04-27-2008, 01:39 PM

You know, it's very possible that I used cards on him at some point (I don't remember because it's been some time since I beat regular variety P3). That might explain the price jump...but I thought personae reverted to default levels when starting from a New Game+? I know for a fact that none of the personae in my compendium have the learned skills (inherited or otherwise) they had at the end of my P3 run.

Actually, what difficulties are you both playing on? That might explain the huge price difference.

I'm playing this go-round on Hard.

PapillonReel
04-27-2008, 01:47 PM
I'm playing this go-round on Hard.

I thought so. Compendium prices are roughly 4x higher on hard, which would explain the huge price spike for Metatron.

Pooch
04-27-2008, 01:51 PM
I thought so. Compendium prices are roughly 4x higher on hard, which would explain the huge price spike for Metatron.

Ah. Now I know. Thank you!

tungwene
04-27-2008, 01:52 PM
I don't know what you did to him, but the default price is less than 300k. You can make them more expensive by upgrading them, so maybe you levelled him a lot or used various cards? It's funny, I just realized that I finished the game without using a single card to boost my personae's stats.All your persona in the compendium are reset when you transfer them from P3 to Fes. That would include any special spells you fused onto them or cards you used on them. Most likely explanation is the difficulty level.

KCar
04-27-2008, 02:23 PM
I got zio'ed twice consecutively with Orpheus on, player level seven. I went from near to full HP to nada, and lost some minor level building and social link upgrades. Obviously, not the infinite nutsmacker it could have been, but goshDARNit I'm pseudo-tiffed. Heck.

KCar
04-27-2008, 02:25 PM
I got zio'ed twice consecutively with Orpheus on, player level seven. I went from near to full HP to nada, and lost some minor level building and social link upgrades. Obviously, not the infinite nutsmacker it could have been, but goshDARNit I'm pseudo-tiffed. Heck.

Edit: and now I've accidentally double posted. gosh heck durn.

Eirikr
04-27-2008, 05:07 PM
I just beat The Answer. And I didn't get Mara at all. :( Just couldn't figure out how to fuse that dickhead.

So, here is my non-spoiler review of "Episode Aigis" though I will spoiler tag anyway:

Disappointing. That was my first thought as the credits were rolling.

First off, this episode is just all dungeon, all combat. I've read some reviews that complained about the lack of S.Linking and other P3 staples in this episode and that kind of criticism is off the mark.

The context the game gives for this episode is fine, but the story is another matter. Simply put, I found myself holding triangle through most of the cutscenes. I don't dislike the characters, but there's way too much dialogue about them moping and wishing that something hadn't occured. I really wish there was a way to bypass the cutscenes.

There are some events near the end of the episode that make no sense at all. While I may have skipped through most of the dialogue as fast as possible, I still read enough to make sense of what's happening - and it still made no sense as to why the characters would go to this length. That said, this story was handled about as well as it could have been given the near-ambiguity (or at least, subtleness) of P3's ending. It definitely diminishes some of the appeal of P3's overall character.

The combat is unchanged of course, and since the episode defaults on Hard, expect to have a difficult time to start. By the time you get to around the middle of it, you should have an easier time because your personas are more diversified.

However, a major oversight is the lack of a compendium for Aigis in the Velvet Room. You have to play very frugally with your Personas since you cannot just buy back the ones you like. Even if they make a higher-level persona, you will have to think twice. You will fear having to fuse a good persona away, because you will know it won't be easy to get them back again.

Maybe that's not necessarily so bad - a forced level of strategy. But when it comes time when you actually need higher level personas, it means you have to run around and acquire the "ingredient" personas from battles, which is random, time-consuming, and not guaranteed to get the results you want.

So, a kind of pointless story along with a gimped battle system make The Answer stand in the shadows of P3 proper. If it were a standalone product, I would definitely have to give it the thumbs down, but here's where I must be totally fair to it: it's essentially a bonus, and if you love the original, you'll of course feel compelled to finish it. Just don't expect to be blown away.

The completionist in me now will feel forced to play The Journey just to get that new 100% compendium...but I might take a break from P3 for a while. I'm burned out, man.

ringworm
04-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Playing through on Hard and getting my fucking ass handed to me by the Chariot arcana boss at level 14. Crikey.

SamuelMarston
04-27-2008, 05:48 PM
Playing through on Hard and getting my fucking ass handed to me by the Chariot arcana boss at level 14. Crikey.

I beat that boss on normal. Would someone spoiler text or PM me a good strategy for him so that next time I'll own him?

MCBanjoMike
04-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey eirikr, I'm a bit afraid to read your long post about The Answer, but could you tell me roughly how long it took to play through it? That'd be swell!

Eirikr
04-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Hey eirikr, I'm a bit afraid to read your long post about The Answer, but could you tell me roughly how long it took to play through it? That'd be swell!

About 30 hours!

I also did a lot of grinding/fusing, so the average time should be somewhere in the 25-30 hour range.

PapillonReel
04-27-2008, 07:13 PM
Wait, I was told that the difficulty in Episode Aigis was defaulted to Normal. Was it just the overall difficulty of the enemies that was the problem, or is it also harder to level up / earn money / etc.?

Eirikr
04-27-2008, 08:23 PM
Wait, I was told that about difficulty

It says in the instruction manual that "its difficulty is equivalent to the Hard mode of The Journey." Now, that does not explicitly say that it is on Hard mode, but after playing it for a few hours you'll see they weren't kidding.

But, it's not just better enemy stats that make it harder - a lot of bosses have weaknesses to certain elements, but they will have native "Dodge" or "Evade" skills that correspond to their weakness. Even if you try and hit them with it, there is a 50% or greater chance that your attack will miss. And this is only one example!

But, you'll be able to deal. Just stay alert and make sure you get the advantage in normal battles every time. As for the bosses, some aren't more difficult than the hardest in P3, but as for the others you might just have to get lucky.

Warg
04-28-2008, 12:58 AM
Just picked up this game on Saturday, after having completely missed out on the original P3. I had a $20 certificate for Best Buy that would've expired after that day -- and even though they oddly list its release date as 4/29, one of the associates went back and got a copy for me, as soon as he saw that everyone else had already released it. (Same thing happened for Hotel Dusk last year.)

It's still in its shrinkwrap right now. I'll crack it open as soon as I'm not as busy with outside stuff, as soon as I finish up a bit of a post for elsewhere on these forums, and as soon as I complete (or at least start working towards) some promised rescues in Shiren for some other forumgoers here.

Thinaran
04-28-2008, 01:27 AM
Looking forward to the actual fun club starts, so you guys who beat the game can discuss it in the last thread.

Ok, I just have a few questions, and I'm pretty sure some other new players wonder this too. Who are the girls available for dating? I've gotten to two days before the first full moon (early May), and so far I've met Yuko and Chihiro at school, done the Elizabeth daytime request (which I guess counts as a date), and I'm guessing you can woo Yukari and Mitsuru? I'm just wondering if I should start focusing on one girl already, or if more become available as the game progresses.

Other than that, my progress report is: Main character is level 7, I've just beaten the floor 14 boss, my academics have risen to "average," and I'm on the swim team.

Gredlen
04-28-2008, 03:08 AM
From what I've heard, Yukari, Mitsuru, and Fuuka are all options later.
Technically, you don't need to focus on a single girl; as long as you don't get too far into two at the same time, you can go after as many as you like.

I don't think I could do that, though. Chihiro all the way!

Speaking of which, I just maxed out her social link. Must've been my Smooth and Tough demeanor. Or my Above Average academics. Next up: the old couple and the little girl. I feel like I'm bridging the gap between generations here. I feel kinda bad about neglecting the kendo club. I think I might try to attend the student council a little bit more often. And not because it means I get to still get to see Chihiro or anything like that. I'm still leaving Kenji hanging after the tussle over our canceled plans for Sunday. Sorry, man, but getting things back to normal takes time. Time I would much rather use for Chihiro. Or pretty much everyone else. I'll get around to it, probably!

I've gotta say, I've been kicking some butt so far. I'm level 19 right now, two weeks before the full moon in July. I think I just hit a rough spot with the boss on 59F. I haven't been able to find any elemental weaknesses, which in itself isn't a huge problem, but he does some KILLER damage with Magarula. Since I decided to hit Tartarus on a day that Akihiko wasn't available, this means I have two party members weak to wind. I'll have to tackle it again another time. Chihiro <3

Thinaran
04-28-2008, 03:33 AM
Man, I already say no to walking Yuka home from school. Hopefully I'll get the chance again after going to some more swimming practices. Is it normal for an all-male swimming team to have a girl as a coach?

oh, and *does secret handshake*

KCar
04-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Anybody have a good general strategy for Social Links? I'm trying to spread it out, work on a few a week, but is it better to rush them? As far as the dating goes, you say it's better to concentrate on one for awhile?

I'm planning on pursuing Yukari, but Mitsuru has this "Mount Everest" appeal that's hard to ignore. Decisions, decisions.

While I'm normally into the "glasses" look, I just can't bring myself to dig on Chihiro. There's something about a girl THAT nervous that makes me feel predatorial (in a bad way). Don't hit!

TheSL
04-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Is it normal for an all-male swimming team to have a girl as a coach?

When I was in high school our men's swim team had both a female coach and managers(what Yuko actually is).

StriderDL
04-28-2008, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=KCar;160279]Anybody have a good general strategy for Social Links? I'm trying to spread it out, work on a few a week, but is it better to rush them? As far as the dating goes, you say it's better to concentrate on one for awhile?QUOTE]

I'm wondering this as well. I'm not looking at any guides of FAQs as I progress, cause I think that's what did me in on previous RPGs...just took all the fun away. But I still have this fear of screwing things up. I'll still be able to get sweet Persona no matter what S. Links I max, right? RIGHT!?

Oh, and should I concentrate on raising my Academics, Courage, and Charm as a priority or do S. Links? The life of a high-schooler sure is busy!

TheSL
04-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Oh, and should I concentrate on raising my Academics, Courage, and Charm as a priority or do S. Links? The life of a high-schooler sure is busy!

Some of the S-Links can't even be started until you have a certain level on those, so you better split your time accordingly.

I got the top score in my class on the midterms, but Mitsuru never gave me anything, what gives?

Torgo
04-28-2008, 10:00 AM
I got the top score in my class on the midterms, but Mitsuru never gave me anything, what gives?

I scored 'pretty well' and was wondering the same thing, but I think the answer lies somewhere back here:
Other then that, I'm finding myself working on four separate social links at once. Should I cut back to only one or two? I'm not finding a lot of time to work on my Academics, Charm, or Courage.

DeeMer
04-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Hard mode: where getting the first strike on an enemy doesn't necessarily mean they won't still get the advantage. Squish, you're dead. But it's only happened twice.

It took me 7 or 8 tries to beat Change Relic as I was in a position where I couldn't afford any Wind-resistant Persona and didn't have the right ones on hand to make one. I barely got the document in time.

I crushed the Emperor and Empress bosses right afterwards with little effort.

MCBanjoMike
04-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Anybody have a good general strategy for Social Links? I'm trying to spread it out, work on a few a week, but is it better to rush them? As far as the dating goes, you say it's better to concentrate on one for awhile?

I'm wondering this as well. I'm not looking at any guides of FAQs as I progress, cause I think that's what did me in on previous RPGs...just took all the fun away. But I still have this fear of screwing things up. I'll still be able to get sweet Persona no matter what S. Links I max, right? RIGHT!?

Remember, there is no wrong way to play Persona 3! Actually, to put it correctly, there is no right way to play it - unless you follow a guide for every singe day of the game, you can't max all the S.Links. Furthermore, with FES I don't even know if it's possible to do it at all. The point, then, is that you can't play it perfectly, so just play it your way.

That said, in regular P3 there are very few S.Links that can be followed during the "Evening" time period - most of them happen "After School". That means that every evening you can work on upgrading either your charm (coffee shop) or your courage (karaoke), assuming you aren't going to Tartarus. Then, once you get back to the dorm, you can study - as long as you aren't tired, it's probably worth doing (ie, don't make yourself sick). So save your "After School" time for S.Links and work on your stats in the evening. There is one exception: putting money in the offertory box at the shrine once a day has a good chance of increasing your academics without using up a chunk of the day. This is handy! Also, annoying to do, but do it anyway.

As for how many S.Links to do, I don't know of any reason not to concentrate on the ones you have. In my playthrough of P3, I wound up with too many S.Links to keep track of, which meant I wasn't being very efficient. I'd say you could work on 6 or so at a time, but do whatever you're comfortable with.

You might be able to find her by the staff room on days when there isn't a student council meeting. I know she shows up there eventually, but it's possible that she'll be accessible early on as well.

Torgo
04-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Any tips on getting characters some levels? I can now use Mitsuru and she's two levels above Akihiko and a good five or six above everyone else. I realize that there's not as much emphasis on level grinding in this game, but it leaves me wondering if I'm really behind where I should be at.

PapillonReel
04-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Personally, I've found that the best level to be at is at the level of the enemies you're fighting on the current floor or Tartarus, plus or minus one or two levels.

StriderDL
04-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Wait, I can go back outside during the 'evening' period, even if you did an after-school event? Fuck me, when it put me back at the dorm afterwards I'd just go up to my room to study/go to Tartarus. That's a good month and a half-wasted!

MCBanjoMike
04-28-2008, 11:20 AM
Wait, I can go back outside during the 'evening' period, even if you did an after-school event? Fuck me, when it put me back at the dorm afterwards I'd just go up to my room to study/go to Tartarus. That's a good month and a half-wasted!

Don't worry about it, you'll still be able to get your charm and courage upgraded in short order. If you've been studying at night, then you've been working on your academics, and that's way more important as it takes forever to upgrade.

Reluctant Hero
04-28-2008, 11:40 AM
Yeah, Academics takes forever to max out. I went in Fes with one level away from the max and I studied my ass off for exams in May, expecting to max it our in the process. But no, I still need to study more! *Sigh*I can't wait till I'm done with studying. I'll have so much more free time. My charm is maxed and I have a little left on my courage before it's maxed out as well.

Right now I'm at May 25. I just hit the 25th floor. But "Stupei" didn't come to Tartarus tonight because he's all "emo" over his shitty exam scores. So the floor boss wiped the floor with Aki, Yukari, and myself. Hell Aki and I are in "great" condition too! Guess I have to come back the next night with "Stupei" to finish off the boss. I spent so much time studying that I only have 13 days till the next Full Moon.

ringworm
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I beat that boss on normal. Would someone spoiler text or PM me a good strategy for him so that next time I'll own him?
Ok, so I beat him on my first attempt after making my previous post. As with most fights that don't have an obvious elemental weakness they key is usually to switch gears, analyze their attack patterns, and focus on negating/minimizing their own attacks. This is almost always done by wildly fusing until you get weird-named SMT-specific buffs/debuffs (or just looking them up I suppose). Thankfully having just come off Digital Devil Saga 1, I have those spells pretty well in my head (protip: *-kaja=buff, *-kunda=debuff), and was able to fuse an Ara Mitama which has Rakukaja which increases defense for 3 turns on a single player.

Bosses like this one tend to have a one-track mind and will focus on one player until they kill it. So I started off with a Cadenza to up my evasion rate, and thankfully he "wasted" a turn with Tarukaja (increasing his attack power). Looking at my teammates for who was in the worst position to die from a single attack, it was obviously Yukari, so I Rakukaja'd her and sure enough the boss went straight for her with an Assault Drive, which thanks to Rakukaja couldn't kill her even if it hit her through her increased Evasion.

I set Yukari to Support for insurance, and focused mainly on keeping up Rakukaja, healing mostly with Cadenza when the boss would Mazio (more often than not the Evasion increase made it miss Yukari who is weak to Zio) and letting my goons attack the boss. I had to use one Snuff Soul to replenish my main character's SP, but other than that it was smooth sailing and nobody died.

Mr. Sensible
04-28-2008, 12:44 PM
I'm planning on pursuing Yukari, but Mitsuru has this "Mount Everest" appeal that's hard to ignore. Decisions, decisions.

While I'm normally into the "glasses" look, I just can't bring myself to dig on Chihiro. There's something about a girl THAT nervous that makes me feel predatorial (in a bad way). Don't hit!

I'm only hanging off of Chihiro long enough to get to the head of the class so Mitsuru might deign to glance my direction. I will conquer her resolve and gain access to her chewy nougat center of vulnerability.

Eirikr
04-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know if...The Answer has a Monad or Monad equivalent?

Ruik
04-28-2008, 02:27 PM
There is one exception: putting money in the offertory box at the shrine once a day has a good chance of increasing your academics without using up a chunk of the day. This is handy! Also, annoying to do, but do it anyway.

Am I doing this wrong? Every time I pray at the shrine it eats up my afternoon. Maybe they changed it for FES. The 2-3 weeks up to midterms I would pray there every day I had "Great" condition.

TheSL
04-28-2008, 02:32 PM
Am I doing this wrong? Every time I pray at the shrine it eats up my afternoon. Maybe they changed it for FES. The 2-3 weeks up to midterms I would pray there every day I had "Great" condition.

That was changed in FES, yeah.

PapillonReel
04-28-2008, 03:05 PM
Just fused my first new persona today, Alp. Is it just me, or are there an awful lot of early level personae wearing leotards? I mean, there's Pixie, Lilim, Alp, Apsaras, etc.

blindblue
04-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Woo, it arrived in the mail a day earlier than I thought it would. I forgot how chatty the first hour is.

KCar
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Day-umn. Just got into second block, and some of these fights I'm surviving by the skin of my teeth. I played through most of P3 on easy, so I'm just getting used to this whole "difficulty" thing - and LOVING IT. However - it seems like the "strong" enemies that used to be in different colors now blend in with the regulars - I had to take down two of those lionhead wheel thingies (separate fights) and was barely prepared for it. I had to dip into my inventory for attack items and SP buffers. I have Nocturne coming in the mail - will I be man enough for when it gets here? God, I hope so.

I also hope this doesn't hurt school applications, or my current thesis. Gawd.

Eirikr
04-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Well, I did it. I fused Mara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZEq6DG9ZP4).

Had to preserve it for the kids, naturally.

Gredlen
04-28-2008, 07:41 PM
The July full moon came and went. I had a pretty rough time fighting Hierophant. At first, I thought the battle was terribly easy, but then I met my end after he put my whole party in Fear, my main character lost his turn, and Hierophant followed up by killing him with a critical double-hit. Then it happened again. And again. It didn't help that I had no Me Patra Gems.
Fortunately, Lovers was a pathetically one-sided battle.

Anyway, that's all over now. I'm curious to see how I did on the finals, but I don't care too much. It's time for summer at the beach!

Eusis
04-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Since it was on sale at Fry's I went ahead and got Fes, though I don't really plan to restart. Don't really like abandoning progress when I've put 30 hours in and it hasn't been years or anything since I dropped it, plus I'd like to actually get millage out of the original release.

Edit: However, if I DO restart, I'm going to max out my Magician S-Link in the original release first. I don't wanna deal with that fuck again unless I'm doing an all S-Link game or something.

KCar
04-28-2008, 10:07 PM
You say Mara, I say penis monster. Let's call the whole thing off.

However, if I DO restart, I'm going to max out my Magician S-Link in the original release first. I don't wanna deal with that fuck again unless I'm doing an all S-Link game or something.

Aw, Kenji ain't so bad. Sure, he talks too much but he means well!

Now, the Emperor dude. There's a fella who is welcome to kiss my ass. Jeez.

blindblue
04-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Doing The Journey on Hard, just made it to the May full moon. I've died a couple times, but I need to actually use items and employ strategy, which I'm enjoying a lot. I have the items received from maxed Magician, Emperor, Strength, Tower, Chariot, Hermit and Star links after loading my original save. I'm inclined to mostly ignore these now in favor of all the links I didn't finish in the first game - are there bonus scenes when building these up that are exclusive to FES?

PapillonReel
04-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, I did it. I fused Mara (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZEq6DG9ZP4).

Had to preserve it for the kids, naturally.

That is the most disturbing summoning message I've seen yet.

Eusis
04-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Aw, Kenji ain't so bad. Sure, he talks too much but he means well!

Now, the Emperor dude. There's a fella who is welcome to kiss my ass. Jeez.
Well... That's true. The Emperor guy looks like he'd be really annoying and I've seen some people really hating him. By the way, I'm in June.

Torgo
04-29-2008, 01:00 AM
Nah, Kenji's cool, [his relationship choices are just a little creepy is all]. I spend most of my after school time chilling with him, Kazushi, and Yuka.

KCar
04-29-2008, 06:43 AM
I'm with Torgo for my after school chums, although I love hanging with the old couple at the bookstore. I'm also happy to have an S. Link to work on in the evenings (Tanaka) but... I don't feel good about doing it.

Does anyone else twinge when watching their character study and improve himself, and think of the work left undone, the books unread, all for the sake of Persona? It's a moment of meta-awareness I could do without.

VorpalEdge
04-29-2008, 07:46 AM
Post deleted (reason: see below)

SamuelMarston
04-29-2008, 08:42 AM
So I was fighting a battle on something low, like floor 2, and my condition was great for the whole battle... then when it ended I was suddenly tired. Not only that but Yukari and Junpei were both still good.

What a rip off. I jumped from Great to Tired in one step and both my wuss friends are fine.

Was it a story thing to get me into the Nurse's office?

blindblue
04-29-2008, 08:49 AM
Nah, your party's stamina is terrible the first couple weeks. It'll improve noticeably after the first full moon or so.

ringworm
04-29-2008, 08:53 AM
Doing The Journey on Hard, just made it to the May full moon. I've died a couple times, but I need to actually use items and employ strategy, which I'm enjoying a lot.
Same. Shit is really hard, and I can't dick around with the compendium as much as I used to be able to thank to skyrocketing price (how awesome that Elizabeth even mentioned that it looked like I "liked a challenge" and she was sure that I'd find her prices "reasonable"). I actually lost 30-45 minutes of work last night by dying suddenly to a random encounter somewhere on Block 2. It was frustrating, but it was also entirely my fault. I wanted to see if I could get Marin Karin to land on this enemy, and I forgot that the Persona with Marin Karin was weak to ice and the mobs I was up against cast Mabufu. Two Mabufus in a row and I was dead. Time to take this shit up a notch.

SamuelMarston
04-29-2008, 09:00 AM
Nah, your party's stamina is terrible the first couple weeks. It'll improve noticeably after the first full moon or so.

Did you read my post?

I've made it to the second block at this point. I was replaying the first block for fusing purposes and in one battle I jumped from GREAT to TIRED.

Also, no one else seemed to get tired. This was on [5/13].

blindblue
04-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Oops. I have no idea then.

SamuelMarston
04-29-2008, 09:12 AM
Oops. I have no idea then.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm sorry if I got a little uppity.

Is it bad that I'm enjoying this so much that I'm excited for my second play through?

MCBanjoMike
04-29-2008, 09:16 AM
I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm sorry if I got a little uppity.

Is it bad that I'm enjoying this so much that I'm excited for my second play through?

It's only bad for your social life!

Gredlen
04-29-2008, 09:34 AM
It's only bad for your social life!

But I'll have more time to focus on my social links in my second playthrough!

Thinaran
04-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Speaking of Marin Karins and Mabufus: the worst thing about starting on a whole new RPG series is not knowing what the hell any spells do. At least most of them are listed in the manual. Non-alphabetical, though.

Eirikr
04-29-2008, 10:03 AM
Speaking of Marin Karins and Mabufus: the worst thing about starting on a whole new RPG series is not knowing what the hell any spells do. At least most of them are listed in the manual. Non-alphabetical, though.

That reminds me something - do the spell names in Megaten stem from some particular language source? I'm thinking Hindi, or even Sanskrit.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Did you read my post?

I've made it to the second block at this point. I was replaying the first block for fusing purposes and in one battle I jumped from GREAT to TIRED.

Also, no one else seemed to get tired. This was on [5/13].

When you get tired, you do not pass GOOD. You do not collect 20,000 yen.

Patrick
04-29-2008, 10:14 AM
I think I'm going to finish up MGS tonight (finally - I've been putting it off), and start P3. I have pretty high expectations for this game, you guys had better not let me down!

spineshark
04-29-2008, 10:19 AM
This is actually what happens. You can't go from Great to Good during a Tartarus session (if you are Great, you will go back to Good after you leave, unless you become tired).

DeeMer
04-29-2008, 10:26 AM
I'm the only guy who thinks Emperor is cool. The guy who bothers me is Kaz:
"My knee hurts. The doctor says that if I keep playing on it, I might not be able to walk. What should I do?"

"What are you, a girl?!"

"You're right! Good thing I talked to you!"

He's a good man, but you have to you have to give him bad advice to make him happy. Though, that seems true for most of the Links.

ringworm
04-29-2008, 11:02 AM
He's a good man, but you have to you have to give him bad advice to make him happy. Though, that seems true for most of the Links.
I wouldn't say "most" but yeah, more than a few are essentially telling them what they want to hear until they realize how stupid they were themselves.

MCBanjoMike
04-29-2008, 11:11 AM
I wouldn't say "most" but yeah, more than a few are essentially telling them what they want to hear until they realize how stupid they were themselves.

(Another late-game spoiler!)

Yeah, this really confused me when I was working on Mitsuru's S.Link. At one point she starts talking about how she's really interested in someone (HINT HINT), but she can never be with them. If you tell her that she isn't wrong to be interested, she gets really upset - she wants you to tell her to forget you and do the responsible thing. It was very confusing.

spineshark
04-29-2008, 11:12 AM
I ended up liking the Emperor, personally. I liked all the S. Links and people (even Bebe!), really, but Fortune's later events always struck me as rather...stupid.

My playthroughs have been somewhat slow lately, after my initial burst I'm still not sure I'm ready to get into this game, and I've been blowing a lot of time on other stuff lately. I've joined the Kendo squad again (they have the coolest outfits and a hilarious line that I don't think the others can beat, though I do just kind of look at it as "Swim Team" because that's what I chose the first time, it's hard to look at it differently now), and re-familiarized myself with the town. I love this game.

tungwene
04-29-2008, 11:13 AM
My take on the S. Links is you can you can either choose to tell your friend what's really on your mind or tell them what they want to hear. If you end up picking something they don't want to hear, they'll get mad and not want to open up to you for awhile but eventually they'll come around. This is where the whole playing the game with a guide ruins the experience because a guide will tell you choice A is correct! This is the choice that nets you the most point but often it's an absolutely awful piece of advice and you feel like a jerk for saying it. A guide makes it sound like it's the only choice you can make when in reality you can choose to respond anyway you like. It might take you longer to complete an S. Link if you play it that way but I think you get more enjoyment out of it.

Eirikr
04-29-2008, 11:36 AM
My playthroughs have been somewhat slow lately, after my initial burst I'm still not sure I'm ready to get into this game, and I've been blowing a lot of time on other stuff lately. I've joined the Kendo squad again (they have the coolest outfits and a hilarious line that I don't think the others can beat, though I do just kind of look at it as "Swim Team" because that's what I chose the first time, it's hard to look at it differently now), and re-familiarized myself with the town. I love this game.

How many playthroughs are you on now, spine? And did you ever beat...you know, THAT boss? I'm interested in hearing a strategy for it, because I might undertake it once I get Orpheus Kai/Custom.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 11:40 AM
How many playthroughs are you on now, spine? And did you ever beat...you know, THAT boss? I'm interested in hearing a strategy for it, because I might undertake it once I get something good.

Personally, I think this guy's (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SN_7qWQfDAE) strategy is a good approach (check the description), but I've never actually fought Elizabeth, so...

spineshark
04-29-2008, 11:45 AM
This is the fifth that I've started, although one is a "joke" run on easy (to see how much of Tartarus you need to do to finish in December) that's only at the second full moon. I have saves on the final day from my first, second, and third playthroughs but I didn't get around yet to the massive amounts of fusing for that boss*. I would've tried if I'd known how the FES data transfer worked. I probably still will, just give me time. Although somewhat stupidly, the base for all of my high stat boosts is Norn, who can't really be used. =X

I posted basically everything I know about the fight in one of the old threads, as well as some preliminary strategic plans. However they're not very useful since I don't know how well they'd actually work. They sound right, but I haven't decided which persona counters her Nebiros.

*if your personas don't all have a high Endurance stat you're going to take so much damage that you can never afford to attack. This is by far my least favorite thing about the battle.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Unshaken Will and Null Poison should be able to counter Nebiros, since nulling status effects doesn't seem to break the rules. Also, I hear that using the Divine Pillar to give you artificial resistance to all attacks on top of your Persona's helps a lot, cutting her damage down to under 300.

Eirikr
04-29-2008, 11:53 AM
Personally, I think this guy's (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SN_7qWQfDAE) strategy is a good approach (check the description), but I've never actually fought that boss, so...

AWESOME! That boss uses Cuchulainn as a persona! +100000000000billion .... just like our buddy Hitoshura.

This is the fifth that I've started, although one is a "joke" run on easy (to see how much of Tartarus you need to do to finish in December) that's only at the second full moon. I have saves on the final day from my first, second, and third playthroughs but I didn't get around yet to the massive amounts of fusing for that boss*. I would've tried if I'd known how the FES data transfer worked. I probably still will, just give me time. Although somewhat stupidly, the base for all of my high stat boosts is Norn, who can't really be used. =X

I posted basically everything I know about the fight in one of the old threads, as well as some preliminary strategic plans. However they're not very useful since I don't know how well they'd actually work. They sound right, but I haven't decided which persona counters her Nebiros.

*if your personas don't all have a high Endurance stat you're going to take so much damage that you can never afford to attack. This is by far my least favorite thing about the battle.

Yes, that endurance thing is a pain, but...in P3 I have the Cuchulainn I made with maxed out stats from cards. I know for a fact you can buy a Persona like that and the card stats will carry over to the resulting persona. I guess that would be a relatively cheap way to max out the stats (or close to it) of the Personas I would use in that battle?

VorpalEdge
04-29-2008, 01:04 PM
Gredlen: sorry if you saw that.

Anyways, some things about the AI that I noticed while fighting the fifth boss in The Answer: You need to scan enemies.

If you don't, your party members won't pick up on the weaknesses even if you use them yourself, and even if they're on Knock Down. If you do, your party members will magically acquire the weakness and start using it. Even if it's a boss, and the scan readout says absolutely nothing besides what arcana it is. Either that or I got really lucky five times in a row, with Metis using the right skills against the right enemy in the right order and then subsequently picking up on it.

Lastly, I'm just happy I got an Eye of Thunder (evade elec accessory) from a gold chest. I was hunting for one of these from the accessory shop, but they aren't being sold yet. And is it just me, or are gold chests everywhere in The Answer?

SamuelMarston
04-29-2008, 01:14 PM
Woo hoo! 36F!

I'm still figuring out how to beat [Empress?].

I just finished it off by [Keeping sukunda on her while supporting with Main Character and Yukari. I let Akihiko do the work with Sonic Punch which would knock her over occasionally so we could all out attack. It wasn't pretty, and it took a long time, but we got it done. We were all poisoned at the end too because we ran out of Dis-Poison].

EDIT: Anyone know how to soft-reset?

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Head into the system menu and select "Return to Menu" to soft reset.

By the way...

"One should always listen to the monorail in monaural!"

"What an engine-ous decision!"

"One should always wear bright clothing at night. Otherwise, the Shadows could make it dangerous to walk near traffic!"

"Don't care for seafood? They also serve GROUND beef!"

Damn it, Nich.

(Also, I just finished the Priestess battle. I'm still surprised at how easy it was, even without Cadenza.)

Eirikr
04-29-2008, 01:48 PM
If you don't, your party members won't pick up on the weaknesses even if you use them yourself, and even if they're on Knock Down. If you do, your party members will magically acquire the weakness and start using it. Even if it's a boss, and the scan readout says absolutely nothing besides what arcana it is. Either that or I got really lucky five times in a row, with Metis using the right skills against the right enemy in the right order and then subsequently picking up on it.

Lastly, I'm just happy I got an Eye of Thunder (evade elec accessory) from a gold chest. I was hunting for one of these from the accessory shop, but they aren't being sold yet. And is it just me, or are gold chests everywhere in The Answer?

Yeah, it's kind of ridiculous that your party will pick up on the boss's weakness - but hey, no complaints here given the difficulty of some of them.

And rare chests are much more common in The Answer - just too bad that most of the time, what's in them sucks.

Gredlen
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
(Also, I just finished the something battle. I'm still surprised at how easy it was, even without Cadenza.)

Maybe it's foreSHADOWing something!

I just wanted to make that pun, I don't know anything.

liquid
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
Man, I don't know why all of you are complaining about that tape. It's got to be one of the punniest things I've seen in a game.

Good one, Gredlen.

KCar
04-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Ah, the groan of pain. The pun's pay-dirt.

Edit: Not having known that Nich worked on the localization, I can only echo what I'm sure has been said 1000 times over: the translation is fantastic. The characters are individual without resorting to catch phrases (okay, some catch phrases), the cadences are natural and everyone sounds, impossibly, like a teen, without any hint of patronization. Seriously - I don't know what part you played Nich, but the writing is fantastic.

liquid
04-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Requesting subforum name be changed to The Gamespite Pun Club until FES is over.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe it's foreSHADOWing something!

I must confess, this shadow business is leaving me in the dark!

Anyway, gotta go. I'm stuck solo in a battle right now and I need to call for Alp.

KCar
04-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Anyway, gotta go. I'm stuck solo in a battle right now and I need to call for Alp.

BOO!

Eusis
04-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, I maxed out Kenji's S-Link! Though I said I'd do something with him Sunday, so I'm not sure what'll happen with that. Wound up missing opprtunities for Yuko and the sports club guy.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Don't they automatically cancel anyway? Or was that taken out with FES?

Gredlen
04-29-2008, 08:04 PM

As far as I know, it's still in.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem Nich can sell his counsel to cancel.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 08:08 PM
As far as I know, it's still in.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem Nich can sell his counsel to cancel.

I guess it's a good thing we caught that in the Nich of time!

SamuelMarston
04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
I've hit 40F ten days before the full moon. I'm really proud of myself, and I enjoy this game a little more every day.

Sigh. It's love.

Eusis
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Just cancel. Maxed out S-Links can't be reversed or broken.
That's why I said that actually, I got the offers from the two just before I maxed out Kenji. Now that that's settled though, I'm stuck with him. If I can cancel without receiving other offers though, then I could at least advance some other S-Link on Sunday.

spineshark
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Just cancel. Maxed out S-Links can't be reversed or broken.
Plus, it's interesting. I remember on my first playthrough, when I reversed Kaz, and he sent me a spiteful message "so this is how you treat your friends?"

Then I did it on my second playthrough, after having maxed him earlier in the week, and I got the same message. But it felt different this time, like after the friendship had developed so much, he understood and was fine with it. I really meant to see if any of the other lines turned out like this, but I barely got anywhere as spending all my times screwing up relationships was surprisingly hard and didn't feel worth the effort. I decided to just blitz forward, but I still want to see a lot of the Reverse stuff.
Yes, but on Sunday, when it'll be too late to make new plans (however, I did things this way once because I actually wanted to shop; even if you don't intend to go out on Sunday, you can still benefit from accepting Sunday dates on the phone).

Eusis
04-30-2008, 12:40 AM
Turned out that he canceled for me, so that let me play the MMO. Also, dammit, I didn't realize I was missing out on some Courage points by ignoring the Karaoke.

spineshark
04-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Yes, that endurance thing is a pain, but...in P3 I have the Cuchulainn I made with maxed out stats from cards. I know for a fact you can buy a Persona like that and the card stats will carry over to the resulting persona. I guess that would be a relatively cheap way to max out the stats (or close to it) of the Personas I would use in that battle?
Yes, you can fuse around the stat bonuses, although since all the personas in your compendium reset to default, (supposedly; when I heard this I decided to not even bother data transferring) you'll have to do it on the original version, or go through the process again. Your super Cuchulainn probably costs a ton though, I think my Norn is in the neighborhood of 400,000 Yen when she was about half that much before I used all the cards, and she's still not even *that* strong. So it's not "cheap," (since you'll need to use at least one for each persona you intend to use, except for the four required to perform Infinity and Armageddon) but certainly far easier than acquiring insane numbers of cards.

Oh, and a couple other things I missed earlier:
Wow, and the first boss in The Answer is a doozy! Killed me a few times, but...
I did this a few days ago, it took me only two tries. After getting dismantled the first time...I just played the tactics differently. I took Akihiko (who was nearly useless), and Yukari and Metis who were both very good. Yukari rolled the last turn on my team, but before the big guy so I set her to Full Assault. She ended every turn with Magaru, which knocked him down, making him waste every turn getting up. I set Metis' target to be the same guy, perpetually, so she would use Garula twice each turn. This wore him down quickly. Akihiko used Heal/Support, but since we didn't take much damage he just sat there after the main guy went away (and usually before, too). I tried to cast Agi on all the Mayas, but of course it missed a lot. It didn't make much difference either way, since they don't hit very hard.

Especially when you're not playing at particularly high levels, understanding the AI and working with its quirks gets you far. Sure, the AI is kind of stupid using certain tactics, but in general, when you set tactic X you'll see their general strategy is A. So you try to figure out how to make A be what you want, rather than setting tactic X and bitching that it doesn't do Y instead. I can see where people who complain that it's bad are coming from, that it's remarkably dumb when you tell it to do some things at some times. But putting together the AI plus your personas as a puzzle, rather than trying to brute force things, is really satisfying in my opinion.
My take on the S. Links is you can you can either choose to tell your friend what's really on your mind or tell them what they want to hear. If you end up picking something they don't want to hear, they'll get mad and not want to open up to you for awhile but eventually they'll come around. This is where the whole playing the game with a guide ruins the experience because a guide will tell you choice A is correct! This is the choice that nets you the most point but often it's an absolutely awful piece of advice and you feel like a jerk for saying it. A guide makes it sound like it's the only choice you can make when in reality you can choose to respond anyway you like. It might take you longer to complete an S. Link if you play it that way but I think you get more enjoyment out of it.
I whole-heartedly support this sentiment. Say what you want to say, that's why you get choices. In the end, it's true, your S. Links will be less efficient but there is no reason to care because you're not going to get close to finishing all of them anyway.

When it comes to subsequent playthroughs, I did use a guide...and wrote one*! I recommend researching at least some of this stuff on a second loop, unless you know you're going for a third or really don't mind being in the dark.

*It's way outdated if you're playing on Fes. I'm going to fix, overhaul, rewrite and repost it sometime. I'm running into other stuff...but I'll get there.

Gredlen
04-30-2008, 02:39 AM
Damn, I just beat the F85 boss, Fanatic Tower, and that was TEDIOUS. He reflected Zio, Bufu, and Agi, had Dodge Strike, and was strong against Pierce and Slash. Which left Garu as the only really effective method of damage, except that it's mostly a liability since I don't have any Persona that are capable of using Garu and strong against Zio. In addition, he used Poison Mist somewhat often.

I decided to fight him without fusing a special Persona for the occasion because I just couldn't be bothered and figured I'd die anyway... so my ultimate "strategy" consisted of letting Junpei die, having Akihiko keep using Sonic Punch, and going between Media with my Electric-resistant Persona, Posumudi with a neutral one, and attacking for 10 HP, while Mitsuru used Diarama on whoever needed it (mostly her). This took a very long time.

Whatever. I made it as far as I can in the block, so after I finish up the requests I've got 19 days of summer fun ahead of me!

EDIT: It probably doesn't help that I'm probably a little underleveled and underequipped for this part of Tartarus. I didn't buy any new equipment since the last block and I went straight up as quickly as I could.

jeditanuki
04-30-2008, 05:59 AM
Just finished the second full moon, and now I'm full-on loving the game. However, the antique store just opened up, and that place looks like a good way to accidentally waste money/personas/resources. Anyone have a good thumbnail strategy for there?

SamuelMarston
04-30-2008, 08:37 AM
So guys, I'm looking for the [Juzumaru].

Is it an enemy drop or a rare chest?

Reluctant Hero
04-30-2008, 09:05 AM
I just finished the second/June full moon event as well. Also, I maxed out both intelligence and courage last night. So now all stats are maxed, sweet! It's a nice feel that I won't have to waste time/money on raising my stats. not mention that I'll be irresistable to the SEES ladies.

Really, carrying over your stats from the original P3 has been awesome.

Thinaran
04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
So guys, I'm looking for the [quest item].

Is it an enemy drop or a rare chest?
I found it in a glowing golden rare chest.

edit: HAY GUYZE I just now realized mr Main Character doesn't have any stats of his own, so I've been doing regular attacks using low-strength Personae and wondering why I'm suddenly so weak. D'oh!

SamuelMarston
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM

edit: HAY GUYZE I just now realized mr Main Character doesn't have any stats of his own, so I've been doing regular attacks using low-strength Personae and wondering why I'm suddenly so weak. D'oh!

Thanks for the tips!

Samuel seems to like you more!
Your relationship grew stronger!

Eirikr
04-30-2008, 10:04 AM
Yes, you can fuse around the stat bonuses, although since all the personas in your compendium reset to default, (supposedly; when I heard this I decided to not even bother data transferring) you'll have to do it on the original version, or go through the process again. Your super Cuchulainn probably costs a ton though, I think my Norn is in the neighborhood of 400,000 Yen when she was about half that much before I used all the cards, and she's still not even *that* strong. So it's not "cheap," (since you'll need to use at least one for each persona you intend to use, except for the four required to perform Infinity and Armageddon) but certainly far easier than acquiring insane numbers of cards.

Yeah, I've decided I might as well do it in the original version. I haven't really started Fes yet, and to be honest I probably won't for a while. If I did it, it would only be because I have - HAVE - to get a 100% compendium.

My Cuchulainn with 99 everything (and my Lucifer is now the same way) cost in the neighborhood of 750,000 yen. So yeah, between those two, I should be able to fuse the personas I would need. BTW, what would those be? I know: Lucifer, Satan, Vishnu, Ananta, Cybele, Surt(?), Scathach, anything else?

And also, for the Answer, I used nothing but Metis, Akihiko, and Koromaru (with the exception where he's unavailable at the beginning) the entire way through. It was a great team that coincidentally was able to use all the basic elements. Definitely had disadvantages at times, but I use characters I like, no matter what.

jeditanuki
04-30-2008, 10:49 AM

And for what it's worth, I got mine by choosing the weapon card in a shuffle up.

KCar
04-30-2008, 10:55 AM
And for what it's worth, I got mine by choosing the weapon card in a shuffle up.

Ditto. It was a level two card, and I only got it randomly after trouncing the second block. I even had to cancel that request momentarily.

Torgo
04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Say, if you're going out with anyone, do the ['dates' with Elizabeth count] as 'seeing another girl'?

PapillonReel
04-30-2008, 11:22 AM
Nope. They don't even [take up an afternoon].

Thinaran
04-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Samuel is frustrated!
Thinaran's Social Link with Samuel has reverted to its previous level!!

edit: Ack, can someone help me with the "Fuse a Jack Brothers with Dia?" request? I can't find out how I fused Jack Bro to begin with ...

blindblue
04-30-2008, 12:06 PM
Pixie has Dia, fuse it with one of the other early Personas (Angel or Unicorn will give you Jack Frost, I think).

Thinaran
04-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Huh. I'm pretty sure I fused a Jack Frost without Unicorn, but this time Pixie and Unicorn was the only way. Had to fuse me a Unicorn first, and that one had some kind of equipment inside it … oh well. Thanks though!

KCar
04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
What's the deal with "dating another girl"? I've been hanging with the team manager, but I plan on dropping her like a hot potato once the SEES girls come up. Can I finish her S. Link and then, you know, never phone again, without consequence?

I swear to God, I'm not this callous in real life.

And honestly, I'm torn between Yukari and Mitsuru once those open up. How far can I get in the social link before "exclusivity" becomes a problem?

djSyndrome
04-30-2008, 01:09 PM
What's the deal with "dating another girl"? I've been hanging with the team manager, but I plan on dropping her like a hot potato once the SEES girls come up. Can I finish her S. Link and then, you know, never phone again, without consequence?

Yes. Once you've maxed any S-Link, you are not required to spend any more time with them (and in many instances, you can't).

And honestly, I'm torn between Yukari and Mitsuru once those open up. How far can I get in the social link before "exclusivity" becomes a problem?

Well, if you get your stats up quickly enough, Yuarki should open up for you long before Mitsuru does.

Thinaran
04-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok, one more stat question.

What does "Courage" help with?

Reluctant Hero
04-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Ok, one more stat question.

What does "Courage" help with?

In particular, max courage will allow you to date Fuuka. Also, having courage at various levels will allow you to initiate other S. Links, like the monk in nightclub.

Mazian
04-30-2008, 01:44 PM
FES acquired. (Yeah, I'm a little behind schedule; wanted to finish up some delicious MGS first.) Just in time for an additional time-sucking project to get dropped on me at work! This'll be my first SMT game, so I'm hoping to dive in and figure out what I'm doing sometime this weekend.