PDA

View Full Version : Actraiser

Jakanden
06-03-2007, 08:44 PM
So after listening to Retronauts the drive home, I pulled out Actraiser after I got settled in and started playing again for the first time in years. I am now on the sim portion of Aitos and have to agree that the game is still freaking amazing.

Maggie
06-03-2007, 08:46 PM
The little foreboding music that plays as you crash down toward earth into the next dungeon still spooks me. I used to play that game constantly, without ever actually owning it. Lucky for Blockbuster.

reibeatall
06-03-2007, 08:47 PM
Unexpectedly, I have something to comment!

I'm really loving this game. It's awesome.

Squall
06-03-2007, 08:48 PM
I bought it 2 weeks ago by chance. I never really got to play it back in the day, so this was my first runthrough. Lots of fun, but I've only gone through 2 areas (skipped Bloodpool), and the city building part was way too easy the 2nd time.

Where do I go to get the cure for the plague that's, er, plaguing the villagers at the end of Act 3?

Eusis
06-03-2007, 08:50 PM
You need to head to the island. Also get it before all the monster lairs are sealed, else you gotta go through Act 2 first.

Yeah, got the game when it was put up and beat it. This is probably one of my more replayed games now.

Excitemike
06-03-2007, 09:18 PM
I played this over the weekend. A lackluster sim and a simplistic action platformer are tied together by an objective look at spirituality to create a game that is more than the sum of it's parts. The legth is pefect, too. I think I beat it in less than five hours. I don't think it could really be too much longer without feeling repetitive. The experience was really sublime.

Maggie
06-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Yeah, the sequel definitely proved to be "too much." I don't remember much about it except that it wasn't fun. At all.

And one of the bosses was called something like "Jealousy and its Flame." And it was literally a floating ball of fire.

alexb
06-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Cross posting from the Wandering Times:

I'm of the opinion that ActRaiser 2 could be salvaged. If someone could go into the ROM and balance the game by reducing the amount of damage you take, pumping up the amount you deliver, reducing the recovery time for your attacks, and increasing the speed and distance of your jump and glide, it might actually be playable. This would be harder, but maybe some checkpoints, too. Essentially, the entire game would have to be rebalanced in every facet. But I imagine that would be a smaller task than the wizardry they pulled off translating and hacking Seiken Densetsu 3. Again, it's really a shame about ActRaiser 2. The assets, that is, the levels, music, and graphics, are excellent.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 04:21 AM
Cross posting from the Wandering Times:

I'm of the opinion that ActRaiser 2 could be salvaged. If someone could go into the ROM and balance the game by reducing the amount of damage you take, pumping up the amount you deliver, reducing the recovery time for your attacks, and increasing the speed and distance of your jump and glide, it might actually be playable. This would be harder, but maybe some checkpoints, too. Essentially, the entire game would have to be rebalanced in every facet. But I imagine that would be a smaller task than the wizardry they pulled off translating and hacking Seiken Densetsu 3. Again, it's really a shame about ActRaiser 2. The assets, that is, the levels, music, and graphics, are excellent.

That's overlooking the main weakness of ActRaiser 2, though. The main problem with the game was that it had no sim mode, therefore turning it into a generic, albeit prettty, platformer. It just didn't feel like ActRaiser.

nadia
06-04-2007, 06:32 AM
I would love to give Actraiser 2 another run, but the controls were just too horrid. Even if they were fixed, the game wouldn't quite feel like Actraiser without the sim.

It's funny; you have very little control over what occours during the game's sim portions, but it's just so gosh darn satisfying to build the towns anyway.

Jakanden
06-04-2007, 07:01 AM
I never played Actraiser 2 myself. Not due to bad reviews or anything, just never got around to doing so. From what I understand, I am not missing too much.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 07:08 AM
I can't imagine why anyone would make a sequel to that game. There's not a lot to expand on.

alexb
06-04-2007, 07:26 AM
I agree, it still wouldn't be ActRaiser. This is why the Japanese shouldn't be trying to make the "perfect video game for Americans." It always just works better when they do what they want to do. Nine times out of ten, their attempts to pander to our supposed tastes just make for a shitty game. That's true in reverse, too. American and European attempts to make faux anime games are embarrassments.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 07:49 AM
I agree, it still wouldn't be ActRaiser. This is why the Japanese shouldn't be trying to make the "perfect video game for Americans." It always just works better when they do what they want to do. Nine times out of ten, their attempts to pander to our supposed tastes just make for a shitty game. That's true in reverse, too. American and European attempts to make faux anime games are embarrassments.

But what about Sudeki?

God I actually typed that with a straight face.

alexb
06-04-2007, 09:00 AM
It's worth saying that the British in particular seem to have no fucking sense of design. Psygnosis back in the day excluded.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 09:10 AM
It's worth saying that the British in particular seem to have no fucking sense of design. Psygnosis back in the day excluded.

Psygnosis had great visual design, but the gameplay did not often live up to it.

j00ey
06-04-2007, 09:25 AM
It's funny; you have very little control over what occours during the game's sim portions, but it's just so gosh darn satisfying to build the towns anyway.

because it's better than seeing this

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/d/5/1/d514580a1330d359dbc0a14fa6c8774c.jpg

thomp538
06-04-2007, 11:17 AM
It was a lot of fun, however I finished it in an afternoon. I don't know how I feel about this. Thankfully it was a rental when I played it, but I kind of like the game expereience where its like a book that you pick up from time to time and finish over several weeks. Doing it all in a few hours was great fun, and the game was really fun, but when its done what do you do now?

Jakanden
06-04-2007, 11:35 AM
It was a lot of fun, however I finished it in an afternoon. I don't know how I feel about this. Thankfully it was a rental when I played it, but I kind of like the game expereience where its like a book that you pick up from time to time and finish over several weeks. Doing it all in a few hours was great fun, and the game was really fun, but when its done what do you do now?

I actually like it more due to it's short length. I can get a quick fix and be done with it in an afternoon.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 11:40 AM
I actually like it more due to it's short length. I can get a quick fix and be done with it in an afternoon.
I concur. Gaming needs more novellas.

nathan
06-04-2007, 11:48 AM
It was a weird coincidence that I received Soul Blazer in the mail the day after Actrasier appeared on the virtual console. Both games were favorites when I was younger, but I hadn't played both in at least 10 years. I must say that playing through Actraiser again was a lot of fun but Soul Blazer goes even further in it's themes and inventiveness. I hope that someday soon it will be available on the virtual console so that people won't have to pay $30 to discover it's charms and solid gameplay. I'm sure there is no interest in creating a franchise out of it so they will probably dump it on the VC sooner or later. Here's to hoping that Actraiser gets a good amount of downloads and Square Enix will dump more of their 'secondary' or forgotten games.

ShakeWell
06-04-2007, 12:33 PM
The game rules, but I agree with alot of you on the length. I remember it being longer, though I hadn't played it since back in that oh-so-elusive "day." I finished it in about two hours, and was like "I thought there was more...?"

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 12:41 PM
The game rules, but I agree with alot of you on the length. I remember it being longer, though I hadn't played it since back in that oh-so-elusive "day." I finished it in about two hours, and was like "I thought there was more...?"

It's one of those games that becomes a quick play when you know the order to do things in. The first time I played it, I tried to complete each area in order, but my second playthrough, I would complete the first half of a section, then got to the first half of the next, come back to the first and then repeat the pattern.

thomp538
06-04-2007, 01:33 PM
I concur. Gaming needs more novellas.
I agree, as long as there are plenty of them to chose from, so yes we need more. What sucks is that you play through a game like Actraiser and there really isn't another little game like it to pick up and just play. I'd actually aprreciate some examples though if you have any.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 01:53 PM
I'd actually aprreciate some examples though if you have any.
The only ones that spring to mind are Parasite Eve and current-object-of-TT-lust Megaman Legends. You can't quite beat them in an afternoon but you can come pretty close, and both are fun and fully realized narrative experiences.

Kishi
06-04-2007, 01:56 PM
You know, it's easy to overlook, but "Act Raiser" is really a great bit of Engrish.

Jakanden
06-04-2007, 02:22 PM
The only ones that spring to mind are Parasite Eve and current-object-of-TT-lust Megaman Legends. You can't quite beat them in an afternoon but you can come pretty close, and both are fun and fully realized narrative experiences.

I just finished Parasite Eve last week myself. Clocked in at around 8 hours I think.

Maggie
06-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Jeez, I love Parasite Eve.

Oh, and Tomb Raider Legend is ridiculously short. I beat it in one sitting. Although that was mostly because I knew I had to have my wisdom teeth out the next day and I was convinced I would somehow not survive the operation.

So yeah, on what I thought might be my last day on earth, I played Tomb Raider.

alexb
06-04-2007, 02:38 PM
I bet the ending really pissed you off, then.

Maggie
06-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Ah, a little. I was just glad the last boss wasn't as lame as Eckhardt, so it dulled the pain a bit. Much like the anesthetic the next day, which I had also been convinced would put me in a coma.

chocogaz
06-04-2007, 08:38 PM
Man I have been lacking in my VC buying. I think I'll fix this in a few days, with this one being the first one downloaded.

thomp538
06-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Yeah, loved Parasite Eve, its been a long time though

reibeatall
06-04-2007, 10:25 PM
You know, it's easy to overlook, but "Act Raiser" is really a great bit of Engrish.

Ohh man, I got some good laughs in the last little part where your angel is talking to you about how great you are.

Maggie
06-04-2007, 10:34 PM
Ohh man, I got some good laughs in the last little part where your angel is talking to you about how great you are.

Our Me is an awesome Me.

reibeatall
06-04-2007, 10:42 PM
Hay God Remember That Little Kid Teddy? I Knew He Was Going To Die Lol

gamin
06-04-2007, 10:54 PM
Something new I noticed in my recent playthrough (although it has been years since I last played) was homes in Fillmore burning and they ask you to put them out. When you do that, the angel says something to the effect of, people are so silly they set fire to their houses then ask you to put them out for them. Maybe I should've just let it burn. Need to be a more wrathful god.

Maggie
06-04-2007, 10:55 PM
"Oh, my insurance fraud scheme? Foiled. Yeah. Act of God."

mr_bungle700
06-04-2007, 11:10 PM
Insurance fraud is bad. The Master blasting people's primitive huts to cinders to "encourage" them to build bigger and better homes is just smart population management.

Thinaran
06-05-2007, 12:17 AM
mr bungle knows how the real world works.

I bought this when it came out on VC in Europe, and ... man do I ever suck. I played Actraiser on emulation a long time ago, but now that I'm playing it again, I'm running into every damn enemy and getting game overs on early game bosses. I'm blaming the horrible controls.

And the sound effects in the game make me want to play Soul Blazer.

alexb
06-05-2007, 01:32 AM
Insurance fraud is bad. The Master blasting people's primitive huts to cinders to "encourage" them to build bigger and better homes is just smart population management.
Well, encouraging the people you haven't killed, anyway. Note that your population decreases when you burn the houses down. You're cooking them in their beds. Presumably to let the survivors know that you aren't down with single family homes. "Hadst thou followed mine commandments, thy second cousin's wife wouldst hadst alerted thee to the blaze I didst bestow upon thy dwelling."

mr_bungle700
06-05-2007, 03:53 AM
"Oh Master, why didest thou blow up my grandmother's home?"

"Lol lern 2 bild newbs."

spineshark
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
I was lucky enough to find and acquire a copy on Saturday for $10, but it was only this morning, thanks to this thread, that I decided to actually check it out for the first time. I cleaned up all of Fillmore and so far I can definitely agree with the "more than the sum of its parts." The game is insanely simple on its own, but there's quite a feeling there, that you just don't see often.

Red Hedgehog
06-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I find Soul Blazer to also be a "more than the sum of its parts" game. The combat is simple, the play control can be a bit awkward, items and magic are fairly useless, and the translation isn't that great. Still, the fighting to free souls bit is really fun and I very much enjoyed the game.

nathan
06-05-2007, 02:12 PM
One thing about Actraiser that brought a smile to my face was that every single time the townsfolk want to tell you something it says 'I know it's unexpected, but the people have something to say.' There is something quaint and silly that something that happens fairly regularly in the game can be considered 'unexpected'. I just chalk that up to lazy localization.

mr_bungle700
06-05-2007, 05:36 PM
I find Soul Blazer to also be a "more than the sum of its parts" game. The combat is simple, the play control can be a bit awkward, items and magic are fairly useless, and the translation isn't that great. Still, the fighting to free souls bit is really fun and I very much enjoyed the game.

I love Soul Blazer sooooo much. Like ActRaiser, it's just so effectively crafted that what little imperfections it has are completely overridden. Unique concept (until Dark Cloud, I guess), excellent world design, and just very nicely polished all around. I'd say that anyone who is playing ActRaiser for the first time right now and finds themselves enjoying it should take a look at Soul Blazer at some point. It's a different kind of game, but it has the same kind of quality and will definitely have a sense of familiarity about it.

alexb
06-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I always appreciated that Quintet's games (with the exception of Terranigma) always just let you get on with it. No overlong exposition. Here you are. Here's your mission. The first level is over there. Nice.

Stephen
06-05-2007, 06:11 PM

I always quake the shitty houses down, lightning takes way too long.

Jakanden
06-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I always appreciated that Quintet's games (with the exception of Terranigma) always just let you get on with it. No overlong exposition. Here you are. Here's your mission. The first level is over there. Nice.

Terranigma wasn't bad, but for me, it got repetitive around the start of Chapter 3

McClain
06-08-2008, 08:51 PM
I loved loved loved this game. A friend of mine had it, and he played it through several times as a kid. He and his friends had named areas in their neighborhood after places in the game (most notably, a large rock called Demonhead)

I always got a kick out of leveling the older parts of town to let people build bigger buildings. I was super OCD about getting the population to max out before I went to the next action part.

nunix
06-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Goddammit, I was thinking, "How'd I miss this thread? Was it an old thread? Well, the date is 6/3-6/5, I guess I just skimmed over it somehow.." ..and then realised it said 2007.

*kicks McClain*

The last time I played Actraiser I had no issues until the last boss, where I died over and over again. Sadness.

Zithuan
06-08-2008, 09:26 PM
I'm sad that Soul Blazer still isn't on VC. :(

Ample Vigour
06-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Actraiser had perfect difficulty.

alexb
06-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Happy First Anniversary

Stiv
06-08-2008, 10:52 PM
What a great time for a revival because my girlfriend played Actraiser for the first time this weekend after I described it as "You play Jesus."

She hated the action parts (she's a GIRL and we all know they suck at action parts!) and actually had complaints about the control responsiveness, which baffled me. Anyway I walked her through the sim stuff, which is a little inscrutable without a manual, and she TOTALLY got into it. Especially when I explained the "vengeful god" strategy where you burn down the SHIT out of everything after completing an Act II to force people to build bigger houses. Midway through I discovered that this idea actually ISN'T THE BEST: You want to keep one or two fields of wheat because otherwise growth stagnates, and once people build mansions they no longer build fields.

We also both agreed that the people in that game talk way too fucking much and are kind of useless assholes because they rely on fucking GOD to do things like find missing people and give them bread. What dicks, I have better things to do with my time (like destroy all their houses with lightning). I played for a little while when she was done and was amazed at how fast you can blow through Bloodpool: I think it took me a total of 7 minutes. I kind of want to see/do an Actraiser speed run now.

Kishi
06-08-2008, 10:56 PM
She hated the action parts (she's a GIRL and we all know they suck at action parts!) and actually had complaints about the control responsiveness, which baffled me.

She has the right idea. I love the duality of ActRaiser conceptually, but the action side as it is really isn't fun.

mr_bungle700
06-08-2008, 11:09 PM
It sure sounds nice though.

Crap, now I have the Fillmore theme in my head.

AND ALL OF YOU DO TOO (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tYgYCJ8eCNI)

Ample Vigour
06-08-2008, 11:24 PM

Gee! Thanks, Mr. Bungle!

doo doo doo doo doo DOO

DOO DOO DOO

DOODOO doo DOO

dosboot
06-08-2008, 11:26 PM
da da da da, da da da da

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/CopyofActRaiser000.pnghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/CopyofActRaiser003.pnghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/CopyofActRaiser009.png

da-da-da-da

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/CopyofActRaiser018.pnghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/CopyofActRaiser024.pnghttp://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/CopyofActRaiser035.png

boom

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/CopyofActRaiser039.png

Thinaran
06-08-2008, 11:59 PM
I love you, dosboot.

Stiv
06-09-2008, 12:10 AM
She has the right idea. I love the duality of ActRaiser conceptually, but the action side as it is really isn't fun.

This was the main failing of Actraiser 2, of course. The action part isn't NEARLY as interesting but the tree level and both acts of the island are absolutely superb. I don't have any problem with the controls because they're nice and responsive, but the hit detection is a little bad. To be charitable.

I'd love to see a game that was kind of like Actraiser and Populous had a baby. The sim aspects with just a little more micromanagement stuff to them.

Ample Vigour
06-09-2008, 12:50 AM
I'd love to see a game that was kind of like Actraiser and Populous had a baby. The sim aspects with just a little more micromanagement stuff to them.

Ack, not Populous! Maybe a little SimCity, but please not Populous.

Torgo
06-09-2008, 01:41 AM
ActRaiser is one of the few games I've bought for VC and actually finished. Take from that whatever you will.

Lakupo
06-09-2008, 02:16 AM
You forgot the awesome little trumpet notes at the end, dosboot! That's the best part!

It's still a shame that Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia aren't on VC already. I don't expect Terranigma, since the English version of that is PAL and all, but at least the rest of Quintet's stuff before they went nuts and made Granstream Saga.

Oh, and PE was mentioned in the thread... I recently replayed that (found it for a steal, 8 bucks!), and it's a nice little game. Especially if you blow through with new game+ weapons. Unfortunately, the Chrysler Building is kind of a chore. :\

nadia
06-09-2008, 04:18 AM
It's still a shame that Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia aren't on VC already. I don't expect Terranigma, since the English version of that is PAL and all

Well I expect it, and I'm going to stomp my feet and pout 'til I get it.

Pheeel
06-09-2008, 04:37 AM

Yeah? Well fuck you too, buddy.

Balrog
06-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Yeah, the sequel definitely proved to be "too much." I don't remember much about it except that it wasn't fun. At all.

And one of the bosses was called something like "Jealousy and its Flame." And it was literally a floating ball of fire.

Mark your goddamn MGS4 spoilers, retard!

McClain
06-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Goddammit, I was thinking, "How'd I miss this thread? Was it an old thread? Well, the date is 6/3-6/5, I guess I just skimmed over it somehow.." ..and then realised it said 2007.

*kicks McClain*

The last time I played Actraiser I had no issues until the last boss, where I died over and over again. Sadness.

hahahahah, oh crap, sorry about that. I was browsing late and I have no idea how I found this thread. I guess I thought it was recent, but didn't see the 2007!

Brickroad
06-09-2008, 07:15 AM
hahahahah, oh crap, sorry about that. I was browsing late and I have no idea how I found this thread. I guess I thought it was recent, but didn't see the 2007!

It's okay. ActRaiser didn't magically stop kicking ass in 2008.

I've never been able to beat Action Mode (which unlocks when you beat the game, as I recall) because you have to do it without magic. I'm okay in most of the levels, but there are too many bosses for whom my strategy is simply "spam magic like it's going out of style".

I don't know how much more in-depth the Sim sections could have been. They're already pretty perfect as they are. I wish you could go back and re-visit the Acts, though, or open up some optional Acts.

It's funny because the Sim part is kinda fun, and the Acts are kinda fun, and it's obvious neither would work as a standalone game, but put them together and they become something more than the sum of their parts.

Sven
06-09-2008, 07:22 AM
Ack, not Populous! Maybe a little SimCity, but please not Populous.

Populous being a great game is one of those myths from back in the day that never really got dispelled. There's some nice stuff in there, but - unsurprisingly, given its design team - it's too ambitious for its own good.

Brickroad
06-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Populous being a great game is one of those myths from back in the day that never really got dispelled. There's some nice stuff in there, but - unsurprisingly, given its design team - it's too ambitious for its own good.

But it had alien blobs that lived in SNES houses.

mopinks
06-09-2008, 07:34 AM
Actraiser 2 and Populous share the dubious honor of having been returned to the store because I was appalled by their lameness!

this is why it took me ten years to finally play the first Actraiser, which was a much finer experience.

Pombar
06-09-2008, 07:40 AM
There're people who don't like Populous? It's Theme Tribe.

mr_bungle700
06-09-2008, 08:12 AM
I got Populous on the same Christmas that I got my SNES, due to parents who didn't know anything about games and just grabbed whatever was available.

Thank goodness for SMW being bundled with the console. Can you imagine the profound lameness of having a shiny new SNES and nothing to play on it but Populous?

Brickroad
06-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Man, you peoples is haters.

mr_bungle700
06-09-2008, 08:22 AM
All I'm sayin' is that 11-year-old me wasn't too keen on real-time strategy games.

Brickroad
06-09-2008, 08:27 AM
All I'm sayin' is that 11-year-old me wasn't too keen on real-time strategy games.

Well, 26-year-old me isn't too keen on real-time strategy games, but 11-year-old me was very keen on games where you could strand some poor fucking bastard on an island and then make the island disappear and laugh at him while he flailed about helplessly.

On an unrelated note, my first exposure to the SNES was when my cousin got one, and the only games he owned for it were Lemmings and Populous. Both of those games score pretty well with the "likes to burn ants with a magnifying glass" population.

Balrog
06-09-2008, 08:33 AM
The SNES is the only system I'll play RTS games on. I think the mouse/keyboard is part of why I won't play them on computers.

Ample Vigour
06-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Let's Play: Populous!

thump thump thump

Yay! Populous! Now I just have to do is level out some land and let my people grow!

thump-thump

Why... Why aren't they making castles?

thump-thump thump-thump

FUCK YOU LITTLE MAN WHY WON'T YOU BUILD

thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump

NOW THE RED KNIGHT IS HERE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME LITTLE MAN

alexb
06-09-2008, 09:18 AM
Yeah? Well fuck you too, buddy.

Dude, while the rest of the world was going nuts about Mario 3 and Zelda, you guys were losing your shit over Dizzy the Egg. I also hold your entire nation responsible for Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

nunix
06-09-2008, 09:23 AM
I'm looking forward to Populous DS, just hope it gets localised.

Brickroad
06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
FUCK YOU LITTLE MAN WHY WON'T YOU BUILD

thumpthumpthumpthumpthumpthump

NOW THE RED KNIGHT IS HERE WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME LITTLE MAN

There's a Married to the Sea comic relevant to this post, but the MttS archives suck ballsacktopotomus so I can't post it.

But it would have been hilarious and you would have all loved me forever. FOREVER.

Dadgum Roi
06-09-2008, 09:25 AM
There're people who don't like Populous? It's Theme Tribe.

I'm not surprised at that, but I'm surprised to hear that Sven doesn't like it, because he knows his strategy games. WTF, Sven?

Sven
06-09-2008, 09:32 AM
I'm not surprised at that, but I'm surprised to hear that Sven doesn't like it, because he knows his strategy games. WTF, Sven?

I was way more into Railroad Tycoon at the time it came out (and Civ would hit the next year). Populous just seems... not to put too strong a point on it, but: shitty... in comparison.

As noted, there's bits that are really good, but there's also a lot of head-slapping going on. Typical Bullfrog, and why in spite of all of Molyneux's bluster and self-promotion, he'll never be looked on the same way that Wright and Meier are (outside Europe, which was consuming enough horrible games at the time to not know any better).

Pombar
06-09-2008, 01:15 PM
Railroad Tycoon was my first game, I got into Populous later, on the PS1 version.

cartman414
06-09-2008, 01:32 PM
She hated the action parts (she's a GIRL and we all know they suck at action parts!) and actually had complaints about the control responsiveness, which baffled me.

Actraiser had stiff controls in the action levels.

Octopus Prime
06-09-2008, 03:22 PM
I recall having a lot of fun in Populous, but I think this may have had something to do with being able to cause Volcanos to erupt under your enemies villages.

Yeah! That's what you get for worshipping the wrong God, little Populous man! You get Volcanoed!

Lakupo
06-09-2008, 04:02 PM
I played ActRaiser on VC before I got a classic controller, so I had to use a GameCube controller, with of course spreads the B and Y buttons apart. The funny thing is, the Master can't swing his sword any faster than I can move my thumb from B to Y, so it wasn't any worse than usual.

I love Populous. It's great OCD reinforcement. Level the land, build castles! LEVEL IT ALL! Also, the main theme is awesome.

Stiv
06-09-2008, 05:52 PM

LIES. I've never had a problem with them, and was pleasantly surprised at how well the jumping worked. Magic is especially sluggish, though, but that's just a timing thing.

Lucas
06-09-2008, 11:28 PM
there are too many bosses for whom my strategy is simply "spam magic like it's going out of style".

Same here. I'll play through the entire game in a couple hours, then stop dead at the boss rush at the end. It's one the only boss rush I can think of off the top of my head that I don't like, but that's because I'm used to beating all the bosses except for the plant one on the island area by spamming the meteor spell. I mean, come on, you get it real early in the game and some of those bosses can be killed with two uses of the spell. Why should I bother to learn strategies when I can call death from above so much easier?

Also, I loved Populous, but I played it on computer and I'm pretty sure it was the second one that I loved.

Pheeel
06-10-2008, 03:53 AM
Dude, while the rest of the world was going nuts about Mario 3 and Zelda, you guys were losing your shit over Dizzy the Egg. I also hold your entire nation responsible for Grabbed by the Ghoulies.

Ha! I suggest you stick the Pickfords (http://www.mobygames.com/game/snes/plok) in your pipe and smoke it.

Also, Mario and Zelda? We had those here too.

nadia
06-10-2008, 04:09 AM
there are too many bosses for whom my strategy is simply "spam magic like it's going out of style".

Shooting Star Magic ftw. Everything else was near useless.

Brickroad
06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
The spell with the rotating magic orbs is MUCH better than the falling star spell. Pull it off when standing right next to a boss and you can chop huge chunks of its HP away instantly.

Magical Light (the last spell) is the one I've never found a use for. It hits full-screen, but travels too fast to ever get multiple hits. Might be useful for clearing some of the more infested parts of Northwall Act 2, but then you're stuck swording the boss and that ain't no good.

Zithuan
06-10-2008, 07:38 AM
The spell with the rotating magic orbs is MUCH better than the falling star spell. Pull it off when standing right next to a boss and you can chop huge chunks of its HP away instantly.

I'm pretty sure the Arctic Wyvern can be killed with just 2 castings if the timing is right. Kalia is also a good target for this spell.

Ample Vigour
06-10-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm pretty sure the Arctic Wyvern can be killed with just 2 castings if the timing is right. Kalia is also a good target for this spell.

Blue orb magic is fool's gold against Arctic Wyvern. The only times that boss has killed me have been when I got cute and tried to use the blue orbs on him.

Shadax
06-10-2008, 05:35 PM
It sure sounds nice though.

Crap, now I have the Fillmore theme in my head.

Is that... 16 bit slap-bass?

cartman414
06-10-2008, 06:27 PM
LIES. I've never had a problem with them, and was pleasantly surprised at how well the jumping worked. Magic is especially sluggish, though, but that's just a timing thing.

It's not the jumping so much as it is the shifts in d-pad related movement IIRC. At any rate, it's not as smooth as it could have been.

dosboot
02-05-2016, 09:25 AM
bump

I noticed something new playing Actraiser today. When you get to the final boss rush, the backgrounds for all the bosses becomes a lunar eclipse over some mountains instead of the boss's native landscape. That wasn't the new thing though. Rather, the Marahna boss has a slightly alerted design for the temple room itself. The most notable difference is the stone face instead of a depiction of the boss.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/Actraiser/Actraiser%20Kalia%20Background%202.png

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn195/dosboot1/Actraiser/Actraiser%20Kalia%20Background%201.png

It doesn't look like the other boss rooms are any different.