PDA

View Full Version : Lets Play II: Ye Olde Dragon Warrior

Pages : [1] 2

TheSL
04-29-2008, 01:57 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/Dragon_Warrior.jpg

The adventure begins here. (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4228&page=5)

ringworm
04-29-2008, 01:58 PM
DO IT!!!!!

Brickroad
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
DW1: "TheSL, wilt thou play me?" (Y/N)
TheSL: N
DW1: "But thou must! TheSL, wilt thou play me?" (Y/N)
TheSL: Y
*cartoonishly cheerful fanfare*

Gredlen
04-29-2008, 02:02 PM
Now there's a question I can't say "no" to.

djSyndrome
04-29-2008, 02:03 PM
I would love to see a playthrough of the MSX version.

TheSL
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I would love to see a playthrough of the MSX version.

I've fumbled through the Japanese SFC version of the game, so I don't see why it could be any more difficult. You do miss out on that ye olde English, though.

Sven
04-29-2008, 02:05 PM
I'd be down for DQIII, as I've never beaten it, but I understand that the length of the quest would be somewhat off-putting. You can't really geek out about DQI the way you can with FF or even FF Legend.

I need to see if I can get X-Com playable again, as that would be an interesting experiment in this genre or articles.

Phat
04-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Only if every one after Brick's is labeled with a Roman numeral and maybe a witty subtitle.

Daydreamer
04-29-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd be down for DQIII, as I've never beaten it, but I understand that the length of the quest would be somewhat off-putting. You can't really geek out about DQI the way you can with FF or even FF Legend.

And why not? There are leveling tips (you guys have the northern peninsula, we have the bridge-to-metal slimes), minimum-level/suggested levels for each task and their order, and how to pull them off easily. And all in Ye Olde English!

TheSL
04-29-2008, 02:10 PM
Only if every one after Brick's is labeled with a Roman numeral and maybe a witty subtitle.

Thread title fixed.

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 02:11 PM
I need to see if I can get X-Com playable again, as that would be an interesting experiment in this genre or articles.

It's playable on GameTap! Not sure how easy it is to get screen captures, though. If you can't get it working, I might have to do it though you probably know more of the minutiae of the game than I do.

TheSL
04-29-2008, 02:12 PM
It's playable on GameTap! Not sure how easy it is to get screen captures, though.

The "PrintScrn" button is your friend.

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh, and to answer the original question, hells yeah! Let's Play threads are awesome and the more, the merrier.

Maybe I'll do one of an old school computer RPG like Bard's Tale.

djSyndrome
04-29-2008, 02:15 PM
Maybe I'll do one of an old school computer RPG like Bard's Tale.

Bard's Tale was fascinating in that it required a certain character class to complete the game. You could not win II without a Paladin, and you could not finish III without a Thief. Thankfully these were fully telegraphed in the manual ^.^

Mightyblue
04-29-2008, 02:16 PM
I call dibs on Mystic Quest, though it'll have to wait until after finals.

Brickroad
04-29-2008, 02:18 PM
Bard's Tale was fascinating in that it required a certain character class to complete the game. You could not win II without a Paladin, and you could not finish III without a Thief. Thankfully these were fully telegraphed in the manual ^.^

Didn't it have a Wizardry/DQ3/Etrian Odyssey thing going, though, where you didn't create a party so much as you just managed a big pool of adventurers from which you built parties from?

God it's been way too long since I've played Bard's Tale. I mean the PS2 remake thing was kind of fun, except wait no it fucking wasn't.

Mightyblue
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
Bruce Campbell?

ringworm
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
The one thing about Let's Play threads is that they're always done by people who know their subject inside and out. I'm thinking of maybe doing a Let's Play (Terribly) thread for a game I suck at or have not played.

TheSL
04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
The one thing about Let's Play threads is that they're always done by people who know their subject inside and out. I'm thinking of maybe doing a Let's Play (Terribly) thread for a game I suck at or have not played.

Well, this one might have a few missteps since I've been playing the upgraded versions for probably about the last decade instead of the NES version.

djSyndrome
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Didn't it have a Wizardry/DQ3/Etrian Odyssey thing going, though, where you didn't create a party so much as you just managed a big pool of adventurers from which you built parties from?

Yes and no. There was a 'starter' team, but basically you wanted to put that aside and roll your own.

MIDI music aside, this (http://www.geocities.com/thebardstale/) is the best site I've found for BT information.

Tomm Guycot
04-29-2008, 02:25 PM
Only if you play without leveling.

TheSL
04-29-2008, 02:27 PM
Only if you play without leveling.

I don't know if that's 100% possible, but I'm going to try my damnedest. The first green dragon was always my breaking point where I'd have to grind out a few levels back in the day.

shivam
04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
but, HURTMORE!

eta- club and clothes or bamboo pole and armor?

Sven
04-29-2008, 02:28 PM
And why not? There are leveling tips (you guys have the northern peninsula, we have the bridge-to-metal slimes), minimum-level/suggested levels for each task and their order, and how to pull them off easily. And all in Ye Olde English!

Just saying that there's a lot more crap jammed into FFI than DQI, so the geek potential is exponentially higher (in much the same way that it's much higher in the Job System games than the other FF titles).

It's playable on GameTap! Not sure how easy it is to get screen captures, though. If you can't get it working, I might have to do it though you probably know more of the minutiae of the game than I do.

I'm waiting for a cable from Monoprice to hook up my old Win2K box (yes, it's going onto its seventh year and only has a bad hard drive sector to show for the wear and tear) to my TV (... need to check in with that, actually....). And since it's a 46" TV, my digital camera should be more than sufficient.

The only issue with X-Com is that, after a while, it gets to be a bit tedious, especially since I'm extra conservative. I *can*, however, explain why laser rifles are preferable to just about any other weapon in the game quite effectively. Maybe just mission highlights....

Falselogic
04-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Brickroad - Final Fantasy - now
TheSL - Dragon Quest - ?
Sven - X-Com - ?
Red Hedgehog - Bard's Tale - ?

Anyone else want to add to this?

Would the community want these run concurrently or sequentially?

Just trying to get a little organized with the Lets Plays

Parish
04-29-2008, 02:35 PM
So... this sort of obviates the need for the Fun Club forum, eh?

djSyndrome
04-29-2008, 02:37 PM

I wouldn't think so. Fun Club is for new (or newly readily available!) games that many people are experiencing for the first time. Let's Play is for (hopefully smartly narrated) individual playthroughs of well-worn titles.

shivam
04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
not at all. the fun club is collective playing through new games, and has more than proven it's worth in the past few months.

Let's Play is a solo venture full of interesting commentary of old games.

there's no reason the two can't exist simultaniously.

Brickroad
04-29-2008, 02:39 PM

What dj said.

Basically I don't want to be known as the guy who killed the Fun Club. =(

eta: I just noticed the irony of that statement, given my custom title. Nobody needs to point it out. =P

MCBanjoMike
04-29-2008, 02:40 PM

No?

Sven
04-29-2008, 02:41 PM

This is something... different (watching one person play through a game they've played obsessively vs many people playing a game with various levels of experience). If anything, they demand their own sub-forum and would eat your bandwidth for lunch if there's too many images.

I'm trying to figure out how friendly X-Com would be for this type of thing, as it lacks the benefit of save states and quicksaving / reloading never sat well with me (although in this case, the buggy nature of X-Com in Windows makes that inevitable).

Falselogic
04-29-2008, 02:41 PM
mutually exclusive.

Fun Club is a free for all democratic play through of a game.

Lets Play is more a dictatorship, where one person plays and the rest of us watch.

I enjoy both for different reasons entirely.

shivam
04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
i should totally do a civilization let's play. except it would be 400 hours long and utterly uninteresting to anyone but me.

Mightyblue
04-29-2008, 02:43 PM
TheSL - Dragon Quest - ?
Sven - X-Com - ?

Anyone else want to add to this?

Would the community want these run concurrently or sequentially?

Just trying to get a little organized with the Lets Plays

I call dibs on Mystic Quest, though it'll have to wait until after finals.

Sven
04-29-2008, 02:46 PM
i should totally do a civilization let's play. except it would be 400 hours long and utterly uninteresting to anyone but me.

Well, that was my #2 pick. I went with X-Com because it was more RPGish and the screenshots would be the most interesting, but Civ would be... interesting, especially with tech-tree related discussions.

So would Master of Orion / Master of Magic / HOMM, now that you have me thinking.

Falselogic
04-29-2008, 02:47 PM
TheSL - Dragon Quest - ?
Sven - X-Com - ?
MightyBlue - FF: Mystic Quest - ?
Shivam - Civilization ( the first I assume?) - ?
PapillonReel - LofZ: a Link the the Past - ?

Anyone else want to add?

Also if you can PM the date you think you'll be starting so I can post that as well?

Odin
04-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd love to read a Dragon Quest (er, Warrior) playthrough!

If you did Civ II, I'd read it! Well, maybe. That might be like an alcoholic taking a drink after being dry for 8 years. I haven't bought a Civ game since because I like sleeping and getting to class/work on time. But the memories!

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 02:49 PM
I was considering replaying Link to the Past again anyway, maybe trying to one-life it through the game with as few upgrades and as little equipment as possible (ie Trinex with 12 hearts and a green tunic), so what the heck. Put me down for one as well.

Reluctant Hero
04-29-2008, 02:53 PM
Sorry guys, I'm the lone "No". Since I don't own the GBC version, or the NES version for that matter, I'll be skipping out on this one. I do, however, look forward to seeing Brickroad awesome visual play-through notes!

shivam
04-29-2008, 02:54 PM
how about we all not get ahead of ourselves, and let the FF one finish first? and the dragon warrior one?

djSyndrome
04-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Sorry guys, I'm the lone "No". Since I don't own the GBC version, or the NES version for that matter, I'll be skipping out on this one. I do, however, look forward to seeing Brickroad awesome visual play-through notes!

Someone didn't read the instruction manual.

nunix
Hmm. On the "have played fanatically and know in/out" criteria, about the only games I could do this with would be.. the Quest for Glory series, or Vagrant Story. And none of those really work the same.

I dunno where you might cite the beginning of this sort of gameplay report; John H's Shiren articles, maybe? Some post above mentioned that part of the reason FF1 works is that your party composition can make for different sorts of games, and there's also possibility for a limited about of sequence breaking. Most other games just don't work that well for telling "new" gameplay stories.

That said: I MIGHT have finished DQ1.. once. And I never played the others. So I'd be interested in seeing the game in text + pictures.

Red Hedgehog
The "PrintScrn" button is your friend.

Some of us don't have such a thing on our keyboards. (Yes, I could just plug in or hook up by bluetooth keyboard to my laptop in order to get one - though I still wonder if that would work out well with GameTap and their dos-compatibility thing for X-Com).

Yes and no. There was a 'starter' team, but basically you wanted to put that aside and roll your own.

Right. Though in the beginning of the game, if a character died, it was best to just roll up a new one. Money was incredibly hard to come by and healing was expensive (there was no natural healing). Years later I discovered the cheat of waiting in the Adventurer's Guild to let your magic restore so you could keep casting healing spells. That doesn't work on the Mac version which is what I would be playing.

MIDI music aside, this (http://www.geocities.com/thebardstale/) is the best site I've found for BT information.

Agreed.

The only issue with X-Com is that, after a while, it gets to be a bit tedious, especially since I'm extra conservative. I *can*, however, explain why laser rifles are preferable to just about any other weapon in the game quite effectively. Maybe just mission highlights....

If you really want tedious, play Terror from the Deep.

More seriously, just take screen shots every so often. As you can see in Brickroad's FF1 thread, he isn't showing off everything he does, just what he thinks is interesting. After getting people oriented with the geoscape and tracking and attacking alien ships, don't show it every time. After showing off the first battle or two, only show the interesting parts.

And Laser Rifles are awesome, but once I get Heavy Plasma, I never go back.

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 02:59 PM

I think everyone else covered why the answer to this is "no".

And I'm not an expert in Bard's Tale, but I think Dungeon Crawls make for great "Let's Play" fodder since it's really easy to get the audience's input.

blindblue
04-29-2008, 02:59 PM
If you really want tedious, play Terror from the Deep.

Seriously. The fourth time I had to clear the same cruise ship room-by-room I quit playing forever.

And Laser Rifles are awesome, but once I get Heavy Plasma, I never go back.

Phat
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
I would like to deviate and do a Half-Life installment

Mightyblue
04-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Also Let's Play stuff lets one person do the miserable stuff while getting the funny bits out of it for commentary/groaning from the audience. Dungeon Crawlers are the easiest to do it for, but as long as you have a clever writer anything's possible.

djSyndrome
04-29-2008, 03:03 PM
Also Let's Play stuff lets one person do the miserable stuff while getting the funny bits out of it for commentary/groaning from the audience.

I would love to do one of these!

but as long as you have a clever writer anything's possible.

oh :(

Thinaran
04-29-2008, 03:04 PM
I really think we should come up with another name than "Let's Play." You all know where it's from, right? Yes. That forum. <_<

Phat
04-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I have come up with names:

GIGASIZE (???)
Max Play
Playing Time (oh please no)
Pele's Soccer Time (I am leaning heavily towards this one)

Mightyblue
04-29-2008, 03:11 PM
Ye Olde Rambler's Club?

djSyndrome
04-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I really think we should come up with another name than "Let's Play." You all know where it's from, right? Yes. That forum. <_<

God knows we wouldn't want the hivemind accusing Parish of anything more than they already do.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
I like Playing Time, to be honest. It fits the theme of this forum.

Ample Vigour
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
I'd like to see a Talking Time-only title for "Let's Play" threads. I don't have any witty names for it, so I'm content just to be part of the problem on this.

I wonder how my skills have held up in Bart vs. the Space Mutants...

EDIT: Playing Time has legs.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Also, to avoid stepping over each other's toes, maybe we should set it up so there's only one or two going at a time? Having, say, four or five Playing Time threads going on at once might create a little confusion.

Falselogic
04-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Also, to avoid stepping over each other's toes, maybe we should set it up so there's only one or two going at a time? Having, say, four or five Playing Time threads going on at once might create a little confusion.

TheSL - Dragon Quest - next
Sven - X-Com - ?
Phat - Half-Life - ?

I don't know how long Brickroads is going to take on FF, but if he does he could PM and I'll update it, if the other members on the list can PM how long they think their playthrough will take I can make arough calendar, If you all would like...

Eirikr
04-29-2008, 03:41 PM
Amusement Time
Diversion Time
PasTime

I wouldn't mind doing Vagrant Story (hey, I kinda-sorta started it already here (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=50280&postcount=33)), but I'd much rather see it as a Fun Club.

Phat
04-29-2008, 03:44 PM
Guys I am Emmanuel Sieyès and you are revolutionary France and while you are heading towards my formerly proposed Playing Time democracy I realize that it is now more appropriate for a top-down, dictatorship-style Pele's Soccer Time sort of government.

nunix
04-29-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't think there's really enough interest in VS as a Fun Club (see: Dragon Quarter, some other FCs, especially the RPG sort). For PSX "whatever we're calling this thing", Legend of Mana would also be a good choice, lots of possibility for playthrough variation.

nadia
04-29-2008, 03:53 PM

For what it's worth, I would totally follow a Let's Play for Star Control II.

I agree. One or two at a time is fine. Any more than that and I might explode and kill you all.

Ample Vigour
04-29-2008, 03:57 PM

My vote is for only one at a time. More than one and you get bruised egos if one tanks and the other takes off.

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 04:06 PM
TheSL - Dragon Quest - next
Sven - X-Com - ?
Phat - Half-Life - ?

I don't know how long Brickroads is going to take on FF, but if he does he could PM and I'll update it, if the other members on the list can PM how long they think their playthrough will take I can make arough calendar, If you all would like...

I think we just queue up. If your turn comes up and you aren't ready to start then, you can place yourself lower in the queue and let someone else step up.

I think two at a time is about the right number. Otherwise they become too hard to follow.

Parish
04-29-2008, 04:09 PM
Oh, I see. I didn't realize this was straight-up stealing from Something Awful. Carry on, then.

Falselogic
04-29-2008, 04:15 PM
I think two at a time is about the right number. Otherwise they become too hard to follow.

Just one at a time is better I think, don't want to hurt anyone's feelings on re: viewership...

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Just one at a time is better I think, don't want to hurt anyone's feelings on re: viewership...

Fair enough, though some games are longer than others so I think having two going (not started at the same time of course) might help move things along.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure the Coinspinner got props for doing the first Playing Time (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=1492).

shivam
04-29-2008, 04:34 PM
For what it's worth, I would totally follow a Let's Play for Star Control II.

oh MAN. don't give me ideas.

shivam
04-29-2008, 04:35 PM
Oh, I see. I didn't realize this was straight-up stealing from Something Awful. Carry on, then.

So? it's fun, and it's not like we're publishing it or anything. Good ideas should be propagated.

Brickroad
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Fair enough, though some games are longer than others so I think having two going (not started at the same time of course) might help move things along.

Anyway, I just wanted to make sure the Coinspinner got props for doing the first Playing Time (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=1492).

Word. The Banjo Man's FF5 topic (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=3284&highlight=final+fantasy+v) is a decent proto-Playing Time, too.

nunix
04-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Also, re: naming: these seem to be going with significantly less forum input than a "let's play" (as I understand them; I mostly know them via their mutated form, the community fortress, on the DF boards), so something to better reflect their kinda-documentary nature would probably be good.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 04:44 PM
If we end up going with Playing Time, we should all totally end our threads with "Play(ing) Time's Over".

McDohl
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
I'd like to sign up.

My game of choice: Shining Force II.

It's the only game I feel I could give Brickroadian-level depth on.

(and here I bet you all thought I was going to say Suikoden).

shivam
04-29-2008, 05:00 PM
I believe Parish was planning on doing suikoden as a funclub some day.

Parish
04-29-2008, 05:01 PM
So? it's fun, and it's not like we're publishing it or anything. Good ideas should be propagated.
I said carry on. What are you getting all huffy about?

Zef
04-29-2008, 05:17 PM

I don't see that as a problem. Yeah, the majority of the most enjoyable LP threads were handled by people who Knew Their Stuff (RedChocobo's Pokemon, DarkID's Resident Evil and Dirge of Cerberus, Leovinus' Final Fantasies) but what I read LPs for is the riffing, the humorous commentary, and the community. The intricate explanations of gaming mechanics, while useful and insightful, are only tangentially related to my reading experience. :)

...yes, I say that, and I WANT to do a Dark Cloud 2 LP. I spent last night doing some screen captures for a friend, and I was DYING to add MST-style commentary. However, I've also been planning an Okami LP since, well, forever, so I guess I have to choose which one to tackle first.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I vote for Dark Cloud 2, on account of being curious about it yet never having the chance to actually play it. An Okami PT would also be neat though, especially if you could convince someone to do God Hand right after it.

reibeatall
04-29-2008, 05:21 PM
I vote for Dark Cloud 2, on account of being curious about it yet never having the chance to actually play it. An Okami PT would also be neat though, especially if you could convince someone to do God Hand right after it.

How would one do a PT on a TV? Emulation I understand, but would one have to have a video capture card?

MCBanjoMike
04-29-2008, 05:22 PM
Word. The Banjo Man's FF5 topic (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=3284&highlight=final+fantasy+v) is a decent proto-Playing Time, too.

Did I partially inspire this burst of greatness? Am I the wind beneath your wings?

Seriously guys, can it be something other than Playing Time? This forum needs a new gimmick, X Time is starting to wear thin in places. I think we should just call them what they are: Master Classes. BR is schoolin' us in the fundamentals of Final Fantasy and we should all appreciate him muchly. If anyone has a better name suggestion along the same lines (or any lines that aren't Time related), I'd be happy to hear them.

Zef
04-29-2008, 05:30 PM
How would one do a PT on a TV? Emulation I understand, but would one have to have a video capture card?

Ayep. I have a capture card which is extremely handy and easy to do. You can screencap manually, or set the software to capture automatically at whatever frequency you wish. I also have a Slim PS2 hooked up to said card, so most of my FF12 playing has been through my PC (I have caps for every single "The Hunt Begins!" and "Hunt Vanquished!" screen.)

For concept name... iPlay? Ugh. I have no idea. The point is that it's one person playing and taking suggestions, but even the original "Let's Play!" title is disingenuous in that regard.

Aquadeo
04-29-2008, 05:36 PM
You know, you never know the right one until it comes up and hits you in the nose. Master Classes is a great name, Banjo Mike.

PapillonReel
04-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Master Classes sounds good to me.

MCBanjoMike
04-29-2008, 05:39 PM
You know, you never know the right one until it comes up and hits you in the nose. Master Classes is a great name, Banjo Mike.

Master Classes sounds good to me.

I'm glad you approve! I actually meant to use the singular form, however.

eg: Master Class: Ye Olde Dragon Warrior

Traumadore
04-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Yeah I am suprised at the knowledge on display in brickroad's thread. I don't think I could do that kind of justice to any game, unless it was Silent Hill or Vagrants story in like 2001. I have since forgotten most of it. I think it's really cool though. Maybe some day i'll find "my" game.

I say we call it Mystery Theatre!

Coinspinner
04-29-2008, 06:05 PM
Reading about a DQ nostalgic's playthrough of DQ is bound to be more interesting than actually playing it myself. I voted yes!

For which I am still apologizing. Next time I'll do better! For starters, going with a game I'd actually played before. I'm best qualified for SaGa Frontier or FFT, either of which would be interesting if I let Talking Time design my parties.

Alex Scott
04-29-2008, 06:32 PM
If I knew how to hook a GameCube to my iMac (G4, got it from Guy last year), I'd do one for FF4 Advance. I'd have to, since I sold the SNES version recently, and I'm not sure if I still have FF Chronicles. But in any version, it's the only one that approaches second nature for me.

I'd probably have to do it on weekends, though. Processing insurance claims is enough like playing an extremely stripped-down RPG that I'm tapped out by the time I get home every day.

Red Hedgehog
04-29-2008, 09:17 PM
For which I am still apologizing. Next time I'll do better! For starters, going with a game I'd actually played before. I'm best qualified for SaGa Frontier or FFT, either of which would be interesting if I let Talking Time design my parties.

You have nothing to apologize for! Well... that may not be entirely true, but there's nothing wrong with doing a game you aren't intimately familiar with as long as you have clever things to say about it. As I recall, your FFLII thread generated quite a bit of discussion and was a hit.

ELLurker
04-29-2008, 10:24 PM
I am willing, depending on certain factors (ie, whether the guy shanghaiing me into this is serious about it), to do Dark Cloud AND Dark Cloud 2, back to back. The only thing is, it likely will not happen until September at the earliest, because during the months of May through August, I'm practically blind due to allergies and chronic dry eye.

Stiv
04-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I can't do either because I suck at both, but I'd like it if somebody would do Star Control 2 or Fallout.

Actually, wait, you know what? Those might actually be more fun as a Fun Club, but it's not like I could ever see either happening. Well, maybe SC2.

Ample Vigour
04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
A Fallout 2 "All bugs, all the time!" run would be nonstop fun, from getting game-breaking weapons in the first half hour to when the game becomes unwinnable after the conversation tree malfunctions!

EDIT: Maybe better as a Spite Club? I am unversed in the ways of my new tribe...

cartman414
04-29-2008, 11:57 PM
Would you like to see a thread in the same style as Brickroad's Final Fantasy 1 topic for DW1? I know the game pretty much by heart, so if there's enough interest I can attempt a similar thread following the completion of his.

Your avatar makes me want to bash some Goldmen for mad money. Meanwhile, shivam's avatar makes me want to whack some Metal Slimes for tons of EXP. Lastly, Jeremy's avatar makes me want to off some Cactuar for some serious AP. Wait, wrong series.

Sven
04-30-2008, 06:46 AM
You have nothing to apologize for! Well... that may not be entirely true, but there's nothing wrong with doing a game you aren't intimately familiar with as long as you have clever things to say about it. As I recall, your FFLII thread generated quite a bit of discussion and was a hit.

That it did, and, really, he left off just as the game transitioned from "fun breezy portable RPG" to "annoying dungeon slog that has the temerity to scale your power back substantially going into the final dungeon."

Might be a while with X-Com, as apparently screenshots from the game have proven to be... difficult... to obtain. The version from Home of the Underdogs worked just fine, though.

Red Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 08:08 AM
Might be a while with X-Com, as apparently screenshots from the game have proven to be... difficult... to obtain. The version from Home of the Underdogs worked just fine, though.

Maybe one day I'll actually finish a game of Terror from the Deep.

MoltenBoron
04-30-2008, 09:02 AM
I would love to do Star Control 2 if nobody's taken it yet. Though I'd definitely like to be at the end of the list; I've got a few big things going on right now, and I'd like to do a couple of dry runs before the big show. I've beaten the game a number of times in the past, but it's been a couple years since my last playthrough.

Though I would also agree that Star Control 2 would make an ideal fun club game, considering that there's a free, legal version of it that can be played by anyone with a computer.

shivam
04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
i want to do a starcon fun club first, but either is awesome. the game deserves all the love it can get.

Octopus Prime
04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
My SC2 thread from a few weeks ago had a sort of proto-Lets Play vibe to it. Theoretically, I could bring that back and start adding pics.

Of course, it's also my first time playing the game, so it's not going to be exactly exciting. Rife with plenty of strip-mining for resources and dying.

Plus the fact that I'm most likely going to have to restart since it became apparant that the time is running out.

shivam
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
god, one of hte most terrifying moments in gaming is watching the Kohr-ah sphere expand and pop all the little minor ones as the late game nears conclusion.

Octopus Prime
04-30-2008, 09:58 AM
god, one of hte most terrifying moments in gaming is watching the Kohr-ah sphere expand and pop all the little minor ones as the late game nears conclusion.

You know, I haven't actually played far enough to know what a Kohr-ah is, let alone that a sphere of them is going to kill everything. If really only knew that there's some method of losing via running out of time, which is a likely outcome for my first romp through the game.

HOWEVER! I'm not going to call you out for the lack of spoiler-text since that particular plot point was ruined for me earliar!

Hurray?

Red Hedgehog
04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Speaking of Something Awful's Let's Plays, have they decided that forum is now only readable by members or is it just me?

Brickroad
04-30-2008, 10:14 AM
Who the heck is voting No on this?

We will have fisticuffs!

shivam
04-30-2008, 10:16 AM
yikes, i'm sorry. go play more!

Reluctant Hero
04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Who the heck is voting No on this?

We will have fisticuffs!

I voted "no" due to my own ignorance on not understanding the true meaning of a "Let's Play" thread. If I could go back and change it, I would.

Brickroad
04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I voted "no" due to my own ignorance on not understanding the true meaning of a "Let's Play" thread. If I could go back and change it, I would.

You're forgiven. Big hugz!

TheSL
04-30-2008, 10:20 AM
I guess it looks like I'm definitely going to be doing this when yours is done then, Brickroad. Apologies in advance if I'm not witty enough!

Octopus Prime
04-30-2008, 01:31 PM
At first I had read the title as being about Dragon Warrior 2 and I almost voted no, since that was probably the weakest of the series.. But then I thought to myself "No, the world needs more Let's Play". So I voted yes. I did it for all of you!

...Then I realized I read the title wrong and that I should have voted yes anyway.

And THAT is my story about the democratic process.

locit
04-30-2008, 10:13 PM
I'd like to do Sonic the Hedgehog (original) in a couple weeks after finals are through.

Oh, hey, I remember what Let's Play is now. That wouldn't work... would it?

Merus
04-30-2008, 10:16 PM
Uh oh, TheSL, you're on the front page, now you have to do it.

Edit: We really should have an archive for these things. One of the problems with Let's Play SA is that the archives aren't all that easy to read, and an archive that also included relevant comments from the thread would be tops.

PapillonReel
04-30-2008, 10:22 PM
I'd like to do Sonic the Hedgehog (original) in a couple weeks after finals are through.

Oh, hey, I remember what Let's Play is now. That wouldn't work... would it?

It might not, but Sonic 3 and Knuckles might. You could even try and get all fourteen emeralds and go for the best ending.

Alixsar
04-30-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm super late to this thread, but I would just like to say that I'm glad to be one of the (currently) six people who voted against playing this. I'm sure DW was great in 1989, but when I was old enough to read and tried playing it, I wanted to gouge my eyes out. I've never been able to deal with the "you have to use a menu for EVERYTHING."-gameplay mechanic.

But hey, if you're going to be the one doing the playing SL, then go for it. I just feel sorry for subjecting you to that sort of torture.

Ilchymis
04-30-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd like to do a Let's Play! for Link's Awakening. I tossed the idea out in the Minish Cap thread, but had yet to mention it here in thoust's almighty thread. I only wonder if it would be as interesting as something with as much minutiae as FF1, but I'll let you all decide.

ART THOU INTERESTED?
(y/n)

PapillonReel
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I'd like to do a Let's Play! for Link's Awakening. I tossed the idea out in the Minish Cap thread, but had yet to mention it here in thoust's almighty thread.

ART THOU INTERESTED?
(y/n)

Y

locit
04-30-2008, 11:13 PM
It might not, but Sonic 3 and Knuckles might. You could even try and get all fourteen emeralds and go for the best ending.
Try, he says. Try!

Sir, you will have them all by Act 2 of Mushroom Hill Zone. Or at least Flying Battery.

Alixsar
04-30-2008, 11:27 PM
At this rate, we're going to have to make an entire "Let's Play" section of Talking Time.

Gredlen
04-30-2008, 11:39 PM
At this rate, we're going to have to make an entire "Let's Play" section of Talking Time.

I don't know if we really need to go that far. Personally, I think it'd work fine if we just had one Let's Play thread at a time and maybe a master thread that links to each one.

Sanagi
04-30-2008, 11:57 PM
If I had a way to get screengrabs I would dibs Ogre Battle 64. I don't imagine N64 emulators have improved since the last time I tried one.

Lakupo
05-01-2008, 01:25 AM
Hrm, I'm a little fuzzy on the specifics of Let's Play stuff... I'd say I'd be happy to do the Metroid series (since they're each short, compared to long RPGs) in September for Metroid Replay Month, but the reason I created Metroid Replay Month was to get everyone to replay games from the series... then again, what's the one nobody seems to want to play? Well, for me it's Metroid (Zero Mission has replaced it in my lineup), but for everyone else, it seems to be Metroid II. I'd be fine killinating the metroids for everyone else!

There's also Castlevania: Symphony of the Night which I also throw on top of the Metroid Replay Month pile, but see above (everyone should play!)

Zef
05-01-2008, 08:05 AM
I am willing, depending on certain factors (ie, whether the guy shanghaiing me into this is serious about it), to do Dark Cloud AND Dark Cloud 2, back to back.

Well, then I'll do Okami, giving us four or five months to decide on the Darks while we hook you up with the TV capture card. :)

MCBanjoMike
05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
Well, then I'll do Okami, giving us four or five months to decide on the Darks while we hook you up with the TV capture card. :)

Hey Zef, my new computer seems to have video inputs (composite and S-video), what kind of software do I need to make them work?

Zef
05-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Hmm, hard to tell. Did it come pre-installed with a video input card, or was it something you or someone else added? AFAIK, it should have at least some sort of "watch TV" application.

Regardless, I use DScaler (http://deinterlace.sourceforge.net/) to play via my capture card, with the added benefit of the screencap and video capture functions. Try it, go to the Card menu, then Setup, and use its Auto-Detect function to see if it can recognize your video inputs. If all goes well, all you'll need will be to configure which input you'll want to use (S-Video or Composite) and the audio input (Line 1 in my case. The PS2's audio lines go straight into a stereo adapter which jacks directly into the PC rather than the capture card.)

Here's (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=32253&postcount=12) a few more details regarding my setup.

Mazian
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Hey Zef, my new computer seems to have video inputs (composite and S-video), what kind of software do I need to make them work?
More than likely those are outputs, unless you specifically bought a capture card.

MCBanjoMike
05-01-2008, 10:25 AM
More than likely those are outputs, unless you specifically bought a capture card.

I didn't buy a capture card, but the PC is supposed to be some sort of media center and it says AV In, plain as day. It's possible that it is some sort of pass-through, but I doubt it. I downloaded DScaler, but at the install screen there was some warning about not installing it if you don't know what you're doing, so I got spooked and decided to wait. It's not like I have any pressing reason to use it right now, I just wanted to unveil the true potential of my computer. You know, 'cause I'm a geek.

Red Hedgehog
05-01-2008, 12:48 PM
At first I had read the title as being about Dragon Warrior 2 and I almost voted no, since that was probably the weakest of the series.. But then I thought to myself "No, the world needs more Let's Play". So I voted yes. I did it for all of you!

I don't know. DW2 is more interesting than the first one. It's also longer so there's more tedious grinding. I'd say they're about a wash. The difference is that people have much more nostalgia for the first Dragon Warrior.

Rai
05-01-2008, 01:10 PM
Speaking of Something Awful's Let's Plays, have they decided that forum is now only readable by members or is it just me?

Yeah, the forums do that every once in a while. It rather sucks, because I was following the threads for Raidou Kuzunoha vs The Soulless Army and La Mulana Again. It should revert back... sometime.

As for the rest of it, it kind of makes me laugh at how most of the game suggestions that have been brought up here are already in the LP archives (found here (http://www.letsplayarchive.com)).

That being said, I'd totally be up for doing a blind run through of Fallout. It's been a while since I've played it. Maybe write some fiction for the character along the way, take some build suggestions, offer viewers a choice in what happens.... It could be fun!

EDIT: System Shock 2 could also be fun, if I could actually manage to get it to run on my computer.

TheSL
05-01-2008, 01:12 PM
As for the rest of it, it kind of makes me laugh at how most of the game suggestions that have been brought up here are already in the LP archives (found here (http://www.letsplayarchive.com)).

Mine isn't!

Red Hedgehog
05-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Mine isn't!

Nor is mine! (The Bard's Tale up there is the recent action RPG)

Brickroad
05-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I didn't see FF1 on that list either! I feel like a stud.

Really though I don't think we should use that list as a guide. I can't participate in discussion of any of those archived ones, and I'd rather follow along with my buddies here at Talking Time rather than Random-Internet-Guy-I-Don't-Know #645,292.

Rai
05-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I didn't see FF1 on that list either! I feel like a stud.

Really though I don't think we should use that list as a guide. I can't participate in discussion of any of those archived ones, and I'd rather follow along with my buddies here at Talking Time rather than Random-Internet-Guy-I-Don't-Know #645,292.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should solely focus on games that aren't on there. I'm just saying that it's rather funny that two unrelated sites have come up with similar games to play together. I'd love to see an X-Com again, or Fallout, or even Monster Rancher. I just like the idea of Let's Plays. I was just making note of it. Not every game of Fallout will be the same, after all.

Or Nethack, which would be another great game...

Ample Vigour
05-01-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm just saying that it's rather funny that two unrelated sites have come up with similar games to play together.

I don't know how "unrelated" two sites centered on video games and populated almost exclusively by 20somethings can be. There are only so many games from our collective youths that are good/deep enough to sustain a "Let's Play" thread, you know?

djSyndrome
05-01-2008, 03:13 PM
I don't know how "unrelated" two sites centered on video games and populated almost exclusively by 20somethings can be. There are only so many games from our collective youths that are good/deep enough to sustain a "Let's Play" thread, you know?

Collective youth? One of the Let's Play threads on SA is from SMT: Nocturne (and it's pretty well done).

Ample Vigour
05-01-2008, 03:15 PM
Collective youth? One of the Let's Play threads on SA is from SMT: Nocturne (and it's pretty well done).

Oh, cool! As a rule, I only read one thread on SA, so I didn't know anything about that.

Sven
05-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I'd love to see an X-Com again,

The two ones in their archives are Apocalypse and Interceptor (And UFO: Aftermath), so I'm clear. I'm playing the GOOD ONE.

PapillonReel
05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
I guess I'm in the clear too, since none of the LP's on there are for minimalist playthroughs.

MCBanjoMike
05-01-2008, 03:52 PM

The one for Flashback was written by Yahtzee! It's pretty funny. Man, I love that game.

Red Hedgehog
05-01-2008, 03:56 PM
The two ones in their archives are Apocalypse and Interceptor (And UFO: Aftermath), so I'm clear. I'm playing the GOOD ONE.

I've wanted to at least give Apocalypse a try for awhile now. What I really want is a game with the difficulty, encounter rate, and level length of the first X-Com and the fixed research tree and more interesting level layouts of Terror from the Deep.

Gredlen
05-01-2008, 06:42 PM
If I was ever to do a Let's Play, the game that I would do it for is not in that archive. What game that is, I shall not say.
It's too bad they don't archive the comments as well, though. Sometimes they can be just as good as the author's posts.

TheSL
05-02-2008, 07:59 AM
And here it is, that other NES era RPG. The one so popular in Japan that its practically a holiday when a new game is released, yet it was so unpopular in the US that Nintendo had to give copies away with Nintendo Power.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-0.png

Yes, this is Dragon Warrior.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-1.png

I seriously contemplated naming my character Loto(the Japanese name of the hero of legend in DW), but went with my own name instead. Something special about wandering around in a medieval setting with such an anachronistic name.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-2.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-3.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-4.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-5.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-6.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-7.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-8.png

Congratulations! You haven't even moved yet and you've probably read 1/3 of the relevant story text in Dragon Warrior! After looting his three chests for a Magic Key, 120 Gold and a Torch you're all set to head out on your quest...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-11.png

...that is, until you come upon the first of Dragon Warrior's most questionable design decisions. In order to escape from a door you have to have both a magic key and user the menu command "DOOR" to exit. No more than a few steps later you run into questionable design decision #2...

TheSL
05-02-2008, 08:15 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-12.png

...you also have to use a menu command, "STAIRS" to go up or down stairs. This annoyance was removed from the later remakes, but even with all the improvements Dragon Warrior has over Dragon Quest this annoyance remains in. I'm thinking it might have something to do with wanting a well balanced menu with an even number of items, but we'll never know.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-14.png

Magic Keys may be magical, but for some reason they're also very fragile, seeing as how the one we got in the king's chamber disappeared after the single use. Keys are a rare commodity in the Dragon Warrior world, and while they do sell them in Tantagel Castle they're locked behind a door. Usually my first quest is to go get myself some keys, but seeing as how I'm trying to avoid grinding as much as possible that might be my second or third task this playthrough.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-13.png

Outside of the key vendor, the king and the [secret guy to be revealed later], this is the only worthwhile NPC in the entire castle. While he may look unassuming now with his random blessing and flashing white effects on the screen, this guy enables me to never have to stay at an inn again after level 3(when I learn HEAL) since he fully recovers my MP.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-15.png

Having nothing left to do in Tantagel, I make my way toward the nearby town of Brecconary. Next: Equipment + First Battles

Octopus Prime
05-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Will it be Club and Clothes, or Stick and Armor?

Inquiring Minds want to Know! Specifically, mine!

TheSL
05-02-2008, 08:40 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-16.png

Preferring to bludgeon things with objects that I couldn't just pull of a tree, I opt for the club over the puny stick as my first weapon. Seeing as how its only a 10g difference to get the better armor, I head outside of town to kill a 1/2 dozen monsters.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-17.png

Probably the most iconic of all Dragon Warrior monsters, the simple slime is really no threat even to a level one warrior. The fact that Dragon Warrior only features one-on-one battles makes them even less of an issue.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-18.png

Courage and wit even served me well and I hast been promoted to the next level.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-19.png

However, the lack of armor has put me in a pretty sad state HP-wise even with only facing slimes. By the time I've harvested enough gold to afford the Leather Armor I'm down to only 4 HP, 0g and a 6g fee at the inn to remedy this.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-20.png

Grinding that 6g out of necessity, I spend the night at the inn. After recording my deeds on the imperial scrolls of honor I head out for the game's first dungeon, Erdrick's Cave.

MCBanjoMike
05-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I vote that our host be referred to as YeSL for the duration of this thread.

KCar
05-02-2008, 08:53 AM
I vote that our host be referred to as YeSL for the duration of this thread.

Seconded.

Brickroad
05-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Noooooo, TheSL's images are all blocked from work. SAD FACE.

I'll just have to stick to the words for now and then imagine the images were added in later as a kind of Platinum Edition re-release.

ringworm
05-02-2008, 10:15 AM
I dunno how big of a pain in the ass it would be, but is there any chance we could get this into a new thread? Kinda sucks to start the actual thing on page 5. Also, did we decide on a name for future installments or are we sticking with Let's Play? I know I liked Master Class: <Game Name> a lot.

Falselogic
05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
are why I never got through this game... oh and torches too...

MCBanjoMike
05-02-2008, 10:19 AM
I dunno how big of a pain in the ass it would be, but is there any chance we could get this into a new thread? Kinda sucks to start the actual thing on page 5. Also, did we decide on a name for future installments or are we sticking with Let's Play? I know I liked Master Class: <Game Name> a lot.

At this point, I think it should be called "YeSL Presents: Master Class: Dragon Warrior: Dragon Quest I". But I don't think a new thread is really necessary, perhaps YeSL could just edit in a link in his first post to where the action starts?

TheSL
05-02-2008, 10:24 AM
But I don't think a new thread is really necessary, perhaps YeSL could just edit in a link in his first post to where the action starts?

Done. I really didn't want to start a new thread, mostly because Jeremy has already linked to this one on the main page. However, I do wish I could get rid of that "?" at the end of the thread title.

Alex
05-02-2008, 10:30 AM
You should be able to edit the thread title, I think.

Parish
05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
I don't know how "unrelated" two sites centered on video games and populated almost exclusively by 20somethings can be.
Especially when they share a writer in common.

Gredlen
05-02-2008, 11:20 AM

... Suddenly, I fear for the future of Talking Time.

TheSL
05-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Before I headed out for Erdrick's Cave I spoke to some of the citizens of Brecconary.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-22.png

This guy reveals the location of the final boss, the Dragonlord. How in the world the Dragonlord got away with building his kingdom in plain sight of Tantagel is beyond me. You would think they would roll out the cannons and/or boats and storm the place while it was under construction, but alas, they were too lazy to do so and so the world is under siege by hordes of monsters. Good going King.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-21.png

There are a 1/2 dozen or so women around the game that assert that they are not the Princess Gwaelin that was kidnapped. Did my warrior really assume that Gwaelin was just wandering around in the nearby town? Would the local guards and such not have noticed and said "Oh, there she is! Better escort her back home!"

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-23.png

If you continue north from Tantagel you'll eventually come upon an unassuming little cave. This is Erdrick's cave, named so because the hero of legend had stored something of import there.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-24.png

Luckily, entering the cave didn't require me to use the CAVE command or anything like that. It is, however, not graced with indoor lighting fixtures like the dungeons in Final Fantasy. You can get around without a torch in dungeons by using the sound effects to tell when you're hitting the walls, but that's kind of cumbersome. This is where the torch we got earlier from the king comes into play.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-25.png

It only increases the viewing range by one square on each side, but at least we're not hunting around in the dark anymore.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-26.png

After stumbling around in two floors of almost complete darkness, albeit with no enemies, we do come across the tablet that Erdrick had left here.

Falselogic
05-02-2008, 11:31 AM

Who? I don't frequent SomethingAwful

PapillonReel
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Who? I don't frequent SomethingAwful

Bobservo, I think.

nadia
05-02-2008, 11:51 AM
For ages, I thought that the slimes were green, not blue.

shivam
05-02-2008, 11:54 AM
later enix fucked with us all by making plush slimes that were both green AND blue.

djSyndrome
05-02-2008, 11:58 AM
For ages, I thought that the slimes were green, not blue.

Yeah, my family was too poor to buy us a new TV too.

TheSL
05-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I've got stuff for the rest of Erdrick's cave and the trek back to Tantagel, but the internet is being 56k slow today so I can't access my photobucket account anymore. :(

Brickroad
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I've got stuff for the rest of Erdrick's cave and the trek back to Tantagel, but the internet is being 56k slow today so I can't access my photobucket account anymore. :(

That's okay, good things are worth waiting for.

In case nobody noticed, my actual position in FF1 was always an update or two ahead of what I posted in the thread.

Sven
05-02-2008, 12:56 PM
In case nobody noticed, my actual position in FF1 was always an update or two ahead of what I posted in the thread.

That's what I figured, which is why I may just do a quick sketch of X-Com's more familiar elements using... I dunno, my cell phone camera... then let it sit for a while.

Ample Vigour
05-02-2008, 02:25 PM
My Mom was a huge Dragon Warrior fan for the longest time. I lost patience with the gameplay sometime around Erdrick's Cave, but she and SANDOVIK kicked Dragon Lord ass like it was going out of style.

Falselogic
05-03-2008, 10:10 AM
The SL what happened to you? I need my "Let's Play " fix for the day!

on a sidenote, for how many did reading Brick's FF Let's Play make you go back and play FF yourself? I'm playing it now, though it's the DoS one, which does seem terribly easier with the magic changed. I'm doing F/F/T/BM and am fighting the vamp right now.

I'm wondering if Sl's posts will make me want to play DW, I'd like to think yes but I remember hating the torches so much... I think a lot of my problems with the DW series in general is that I played FF first and when I finally did play DW it seemed so slow and cumbersome, in almost everyway, that I never could get into it. In fact the only DW game I've gotten into and beaten is Rocket Slime! That game is great!

Looking forward to your next Post SL!

chronolink
05-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm wondering if Sl's posts will make me want to play DW, I'd like to think yes but I remember hating the torches so much... I think a lot of my problems with the DW series in general is that I played FF first and when I finally did play DW it seemed so slow and cumbersome, in almost everyway, that I never could get into it.

I bought DW I & II for the GBC a few years back and tried playing DW1, but quit halfway through because of the stupid torches. But DW2 was still awesome, and has no torches whatsoever.

Octopus Prime
05-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I maintain a respectful disagreement with regard to DW2. I don't know why, since it IS technically the superior game, it just didn't click with me.

Also, after the first time I played it, I never bothered with Erdricks Cave. There's nothing in it besides a tablet telling you what you need to beat the game, and it just serves to waste a couple of torches. Torches that would better serve you in the other dungeons that have stuff in them.

TheSL
05-03-2008, 09:15 PM

Sorry, I'm kinda busy on the weekends so its a M-F thing, mostly. I'll see if I can't get one out tomorrow.

Also, after the first time I played it, I never bothered with Erdricks Cave. There's nothing in it besides a tablet telling you what you need to beat the game, and it just serves to waste a couple of torches. Torches that would better serve you in the other dungeons that have stuff in them.

I usually don't bother with it either, but I was just trying to see if I could get a few more fights out of the walk there and back and not so much constant grinding for levels and gold.

Sanagi
05-04-2008, 02:06 AM

on a sidenote, for how many did reading Brick's FF Let's Play make you go back and play FF yourself? I'm playing it now, though it's the DoS one, which does seem terribly easier with the magic changed. I'm doing F/F/T/BM and am fighting the vamp right now.

I'm wondering if Sl's posts will make me want to play DW, I'd like to think yes but I remember hating the torches so much... I think a lot of my problems with the DW series in general is that I played FF first and when I finally did play DW it seemed so slow and cumbersome, in almost everyway, that I never could get into it. In fact the only DW game I've gotten into and beaten is Rocket Slime! That game is great!

Looking forward to your next Post SL!
As mentioned in the other thread, I did start an FF file. Bonk, Take, Wack and Bang are about to go into the sea shrine.

As for DW, I have tried to go back to it, but I typically only get as far as the first STAIR command before shutting it off.

Ample Vigour
05-04-2008, 02:55 AM
Does anyone here remember the Nintendo Power Dragon Warrior fold-in strategy guide? It had an elaborate painted cover that was unlike anything I'd seen in NP before (or would see again) and I've always wanted to know who did it.

My copy of the strategy guide is no help; there are no art credits in it I can find. I beseech you, Talking Time!

BTW, if I can get my scanner working (HP 2610v, the damn driver doesn't recognize it during installation,) I'll gladly put up scans of relevant or interesting pages.

TheSL
05-04-2008, 07:56 AM
Does anyone here remember the Nintendo Power Dragon Warrior fold-in strategy guide?

I've got it somewhere, but I can't find it. Hopefully the shitty college roommates I had didn't steal it like they did a couple of my games. :(

Octopus Prime
05-04-2008, 08:02 AM
I remember that, right around the time it came out, Nintendo Power had a "Choose Your Own Adventure"-style article teaching you how to play the game.

It was tremendouly inaccurate with regard to the games geography and gameplay.

TheSL
05-05-2008, 06:52 AM
I have returned! We resume progress with the revelations from Erdrick's Tablet:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-27.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-28.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-29.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-30.png

It was pretty presumptuous of Erdrick to assume that his descendant would be the one to discover this tablet when it was in a cave barely off the main shipping route between Tantagel and Garinham. All in all, the tablet is pretty worthless anyways, since it more or less just says "I gathered three things and then I killed a monster. If you find three things you can do it too!" I should probably dig out the GBC remake to see if they're a little more explicit about what you're searching for or if the text was always so intentionally vague.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-31.png

On the return trip to town we run into another of the more iconic Dragon Warrior monsters, the Drakee("Dracky" in modern games). The battle pushed me over the edge into level 3.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-32.png

I now have access to the first curative spell, the creatively named HEAL. Now I can head back to Tantagel to receive an MP refresh from the old man to the right of the entrance. Finding this a good point to stop, I return to the King to record my progress on the Imperial Scrolls of Honor.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-33.png

An interesting thing to note here- unlike pretty much every other RPG I have ever played, Dragon Warrior requires you to not only return to a single town to save, but also to check on your progress into your level.*

Next up: The Village of Kol

*There is one exception to this, but it doesn't happen until about half-way through the game.

Healy
05-05-2008, 07:40 AM
Is Kol the villiage with the keys? It's been a while since I've played this game. Or, more accurately, the GBC remake.

Speaking of such, I should dig that out and actually finish it sometime. I'm such a horrible DQ fan.

ted2000aed
05-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Can I dibs a Let's Play on Final Fantasy Legend III? That game was awesome.

Edit: my bad guys

TheSL
05-05-2008, 07:50 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-35.png

The King is always excited to see us return, reminding us that we are the only ones capable of defeating the Dragonlord and his army of monsters. Leaving the castle, I decide to begin by adventuring toward the northeastern village of Kol. The game doesn't really give you any sort of a clue the direction you're supposed to be going in, I just know this from previous plays through the game. The number one thing to remember if you do decide to explore randomly is this:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-36.png

Bridges are what separate monster classes. What could be a Drakee on one side of the bridge would now be a Magidrakee, a Scorpion instead of a Slime, etc. If you happen to cross the western bridge instead of the eastern first you'll more than likely end up crushed under the heels of a Goldman.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-37.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-38.png

I had to cross two bridges in order to reach my next target, the village of Kol. As you can tell, I just barely made it even with running from a lot of the battles. The inn here is a much more expensive 20g, but I really have no choice at this point.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-39.png

I'll have to remember that if I'm ever afflicted with the RHEU status effect. No, we're not here to heal our aching joints, but this spring does hold an important secret. While I'm sure there's probably an NPC on the other side of the world that reveals this secret, I know that there is something important four steps south of the spring...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-40.png

...the Fairy Flute! Like a lot of the key items in the game, you can gain this item a lot earlier than you actually need it.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-41.png

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/Nester.png

Red Hedgehog
05-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Bridges are what separate monster classes. What could be a Drakee on one side of the bridge would now be a Magidrakee, a Scorpion instead of a Slime, etc.

Well, they try to be, anyway. Much like FF had its PNEoP, Dragon Warrior has its areas where you can fight vastly more powerful enemies than you should. If I remember correctly, there is one right along the mountains southwest of Tantagel.

Pombar
05-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Can I dibs a Let's Play on Final Fantasy Legend III? That game was awesome.
This is one of the (very few) games I could do myself, but I'd be pants at it. I wholeheartedly endorse a FFL3 LP, because that game is brilliant. But isn't proposing LP ideas for this thread (http://www.toastyfrog.com/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=4268)?

TheSL
05-05-2008, 08:15 AM
Well, they try to be, anyway. Much like FF had its PNEoP, Dragon Warrior has its areas where you can fight vastly more powerful enemies than you should. If I remember correctly, there is one right along the mountains southwest of Tantagel.

Yeah, I tend to forget about that spot since its really only of interest if I plan on powerleveling the crap out of my guy early on. The bridges tend to separate the groups fairly well otherwise, though.

Red Hedgehog
05-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I tend to forget about that spot since its really only of interest if I plan on powerleveling the crap out of my guy early on. The bridges tend to separate the groups fairly well otherwise, though.

I remember thinking that using bridges to separate enemy groups was a standard RPG trope. Given Dragon Warrior was the first overhead RPG I played to completion, it took me a few years to realize that this was really only Dragon Warrior I's thing.

MoltenBoron
05-05-2008, 08:38 AM
Given that you can pretty much walk wherever right from the start (with the obvious exception of the Dragon Lord's island), how do PNEOP-equivalents help you out? It it just convenience in terms of walk distance to the nearest/cheapest inn?

TheSL
05-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Given that you can pretty much walk wherever right from the start (with the obvious exception of the Dragon Lord's island), how do PNEOP-equivalents help you out? It it just convenience in terms of walk distance to the nearest/cheapest inn?

Yeah, that's just it. The area that Red Hedgehog is talking about is only about a dozen steps away from Tantagel and its free MP restoring old man.

TheSL
05-06-2008, 06:54 AM
5/6/08 - The Futile Journey

Just so you guys know ahead of time, today's posts are kind of embarrassing from a gameplay standpoint. Usually on a play through Dragon Warrior I'll grind out the first few levels until I get Sleep and then continue on my quest. For this Lets Play I'm taking no such liberties and attempting to traverse the world at the lowest serviceable level possible. That said, on with the show...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-42.png

Another wise old man spouts nonsense about what you can and can't do. I've never tried it, but I honestly think you could probably waltz up to the Dragonlord and club him to death if you had enough MP for HEALMORE.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-43.png

All right! Next stop Rimuldar!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-44.png

...oh. Rimuldar is on the southern island. :(

Later, 10 feet out of Kol...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-45.png

Who would have thought that a spell called HURT would hurt so much? I level 3 warrior carrying a club is no match for a powerful Magician. Luckily I didn't have much gold at the time, so my 3g total was only reduced to 1 after the King takes his 50% cut(or in this case 66%).

TheSL
05-06-2008, 07:10 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-46.png

On my trek back to Kol I gained another level, and with it the spell of HURT that had just destroyed me in the Magician battle.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/Hurt.jpg

HURT helps a lot versus the more difficult monsters around Kol and beyond because its damage is more dependent on my level rather than the amount of gold I have to purchase new weapons. Rather than dealing 1 or 2 damage to Scorpions and Magicians a round, I can toss some HURT their way for 10+.

I figure this is a high enough level to rush my way to Rimuldar, so I begin to head south.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-47.png

Run away!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-48.png

This is the cave that connects the northern and southern continents. All of those tiles surrounding it are poison swamps that drain your HP with every step, hence my low HP in this shot.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-49.png

Inside its pitch black, just like the other caves. Luckily, I've played enough that I know the way to Rimuldar without wasting any cash on a Torch- just head straight down, right, down, right, down, left each time going until you hit the wall.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-50.png

Success! Welcome to the southern continent.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-51.png

Here's the welcoming committee. Run away!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-52.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-53.png

His friend the Warlock got the better of us, cutting off all routes of escape from the battle. That's two times dying to a magic-using monster now.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-54.png

The second try wasn't much better.

TheSL
05-06-2008, 07:26 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-55.png

Before my third attempt at the southern continent I grinded long enough to purchase a Small Shield from the shop in Kol. While its not a real significant stat increase, every little bit helps at this point.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-56.png

I complete my journey through the cave with little incident. I stopped to fight the easier battles inside(ghosts & magicians), so I stop here to restore my HP with HEAL before attempting the last leg of the trip.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-58.png

Amazing, Rimuldar is in sight! This is probably one of the only logically constructed cities in the game, with not only a mountain range protecting the village, but a moat as well. The last little bit of the walk finished with no real difficulty.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-59.png

Rather than the normal "Welcome to [location]!" NPC, Rimuldar has some crazy Tomato lady near the entrance. I never really figured out why she was out of tomatoes, much less why she thought I was interested in them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-60.png

There's the normal guy. For some reason he is located in almost the center of town. Regardless, at least now we know we're in the right place.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-61.png

If you hug the outer east side of the village, heading northwest you'll reach the "hidden" key shop. Since that was the whole reason to bother coming here, lets head inside...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-62.png

...crap! I had totally forgotten how expensive the keys were. At least know I know that if I want to buy a few of them its going to run me 2~300 total. For now I guess I'll try to work my way back to Kol since I don't even have the cash for the high-priced inn here.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-63.png

A run in with a Metal Scorpion just outside of town ends with another death for our hero. I guess this saves me a bit of time on the walk back. Here's hoping that our next adventure to the southern continent isn't nearly as embarrassing as this one!

Sven
05-06-2008, 07:48 AM
I've never tried it, but I honestly think you could probably waltz up to the Dragonlord and club him to death if you had enough MP for HEALMORE.

There used to be a speedrun of the game that abused luck manipulation and SLEP to beat it in under an hour. That's basically what they did.

nadia
05-06-2008, 08:08 AM
The amount of damage you dole out with a weapon has to do with the amount of gold you're carrying? I had no idea.

I remember I had some illicit third-party strategy guide for Dragon Warrior that listed Drakees as "baby dragons." That's what they were to me for years and years until Dragon Quest VIII's Bestiary listed them in the "Bird" family. My world! Shot to pieces!

(Then again, DragonQuests's "Chimeras" will always be "Wyverns" to me.)

TheSL
05-06-2008, 08:20 AM
The amount of damage you dole out with a weapon has to do with the amount of gold you're carrying? I had no idea.

I meant more along the lines of gold = new weapons.

Merus
05-06-2008, 08:26 AM
Edit: sniped.

Is Dragon Quest particularly luck based? I mean how we know that FF1 has a specific encounter list that's complicated but predictable.

Octopus Prime
05-06-2008, 08:32 AM

I think that was more in reference to the fact that you need mo' money to buy mo' weapons, and an expensive sword is more devestating then a small club.

The rest of your points I agree with whole-heartedly. "Chimera" my tuckus!

Edit: And hey, TheSL already pointed that out. Go Me!

Falselogic
05-06-2008, 11:53 AM
People keep mentioning a gameboy release of this game, I looked on Ebay but only found things that were in Japanese. What is the name of the release and was it for Gb, GBA, or DS?

Thanks

P.S. Go TheSL I want to see what this game's ending looks like and I fear I'll never do it myself... stupid torches and keys and menu system!

Octopus Prime
05-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Twas called Dragon Warrior I & II and was for the Game Boy Color, but was compatible with the regular ol' Green and Black model as well.

Dragon Warrior III was only for the GBC, and came out not long afterward.

TheSL
05-06-2008, 12:00 PM
People keep mentioning a gameboy release of this game, I looked on Ebay but only found things that were in Japanese. What is the name of the release and was it for Gb, GBA, or DS?

This is it. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Boy-Color-Dragon-Warrior-I-II-1-2_W0QQitemZ370047936595QQihZ024QQcategoryZ139973QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Maybe you were looking for Dragon Quest instead? The US versions didn't switch back to that name until after Dragon Quest VIII.

Falselogic
05-06-2008, 12:10 PM
This is it. (http://cgi.ebay.com/Game-Boy-Color-Dragon-Warrior-I-II-1-2_W0QQitemZ370047936595QQihZ024QQcategoryZ139973QQ ssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) Maybe you were looking for Dragon Quest instead? The US versions didn't switch back to that name until after Dragon Quest VIII.

Thanks I was looking under Quest, too bad it's for GBC though...

MCBanjoMike
05-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Great, now I'm bidding on a DW I & II cart on eBay. It never ends!

Octopus Prime
05-06-2008, 12:35 PM
But think of what you're doing for the economy. The economy thanks you. It thanks you so hard.

...Also the GBC DWIII is better in almost* every regard. Just sayin'.

*Almost because, in the GBC version at least, they included the single most infuriatingly awful side quest I've ever seen in any game ever.

Gredlen
05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
Great, now I'm bidding on a DW I & II cart on eBay. It never ends!

Let's Play threads: they're good for the economy.

ringworm
05-06-2008, 03:03 PM
I might actually own that cart. I should try to dig it out.

TheSL
05-07-2008, 08:17 AM
5/7/2008 - The Master of Unlocking

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-64.png

After the highly unsuccessful trip to Rimuldar last time I decided it was time to bite the bullet and grind out a couple hundred gold for my key fees. While I spent probably 30~40 minutes doing this, I didn't even gain a single level.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-65.png

Rimuldar is in sight. I did have trouble getting attacked by a Warlock every two steps from the cave to town, but at least I got away relatively unscathed.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-66.png

First order of business is to restore my HP/MP at the inn. Now that I think about it I should have probably just bought a pair of Wyvern Wings in Kol to avoid having to walk back. :(

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-67.png

How in the hell did this random guy know that? Regardless, the stones are our next target and they require one of the magic keys sold here in Rimuldar to reach them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-68.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-70.png

This citizen thinks he's being helpful by warning us of the dangers to the south, but if we actually listened to him we would never reach the magic temple that the second guy is talking about.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-69.png

Kind of redundant to what that old man in Kol told us, but everyone is convinced that you have to have an awesome weapon to kill the Dragonlord. I'm almost tempted to go into the final battle without Erdrick's Sword just to prove them wrong...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-71.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-72.png

While this message is vague and confusing if you don't know what's going on, he's actually referring to the Rainbow Bridge that you can use to reach the Dragonlord's Island. His second message is a tip as to how to reach the main part of the Dragonlord's dungeon, so we'll just save that info for later.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-73.png

TheSL
05-07-2008, 08:34 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-74.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-76.png

I always thought it was an amusing little detail to have these lovers confused as to where they are meeting up at. In the end, I think it has more to do with pointing out the fact that, yes, you can walk around outside of the town's moat. Following the path around Orwick's side leads us back to the magic key shop, this time with enough gold to actually buy one.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-78.png

I bought as many as I could with the gold I have, bringing my total number of magic keys up to five. With my goal accomplished here in Rimuldar, I begin my trek back to Tantagel Castle.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-79.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-80.png

Sick of walking and frequent random encounters, I make a stop over in Kol for a pair of those Wyvern Wings that I lamented not brining on the initial trip to Rimuldar. Using one of these will instantaneously transport me back to Tantagel Castle.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-81.png

I blew one of my magic keys to break into the King's Treasure chamber since I couldn't remember what exactly was in there. Each of these chests only contain paltry sums of gold, less than 15g each. I guess the economy is in pretty bad shape around these parts.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-82.png

This door is the real reason why we went to so much trouble for some keys.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-83.png

Behind the door lies another magic key vendor. This guy is gouging his prices a little more than the Rimuldar salesman, but his convenience can't be beat. Common sense would say that you could just walk around the castle to his shop, but zone transition tiles prevent you from ever doing so.

TheSL
05-07-2008, 08:43 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-84.png

This cellar that the man speaks of is where we'll find our Sun Stones. I guess we'll have a lot of searching in store for us to find the cellar?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-85.png

Or not. Its all of 15 paces south of where he stood. Sometimes I really worry about the mental abilities of the citizens of Tantagel. Maybe they would be better off if the Dragonlord just killed them.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-86.png

Yes, there is an old man who stands guard of the treasure we seek. How in the world he stayed alive so long when no one else in the castle seems to be aware of his location is beyond me. The man doesn't seem too concerned with who takes the treasure either. Maybe he figured the descendant of Erdrick was the only one in Tantagel smart enough to find the place?

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-87.png

All right! We are now 1/3 of the way through collecting the grocery list of items Erdrick told us to search out on that Tablet we found earlier.

Next time: The Grave of Garinham

TheSL
05-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Anyone still reading this? I'm not going to bother to continue if no one is interested, and we've got like 10 Lets Plays going on right now.

Falselogic
05-07-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm watching this right now, it was the first thread I read this morning! There do seem to be a lot of Let's Play right now, too much of a good thing if you ask me. But I'm enjoying your run.

Why haven't you leveled up after getting all that gold? Have you just not visited the king? How does the leveling strucutre work in DW anyhow?

nadia
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
I'm reading. :( I thought there was going to be a controlled number of Let's Plays, actually.

Jonathan
05-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I'm reading as well. I never bothered beating Dragon Warrior, even though it was my first RPG (if Zelda doesn't count.) I haven't been able to go back to it; the command list system bugs me, so it's been a pleasure to watch someone else do the work and describe the experience!

MCBanjoMike
05-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Anyone still reading this? I'm not going to bother to continue if no one is interested, and we've got like 10 Lets Plays going on right now.

But...but I'm winning my auction!

PapillonReel
05-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I'm following along as well. I've always wanted to, but never could, get into Dragon Quest, so this thread holds special interest with me.

TheSL
05-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Why haven't you leveled up after getting all that gold? Have you just not visited the king? How does the leveling strucutre work in DW anyhow?

Dragon Warrior has a max level of 30, so allowing you to level up too quickly would make for a very easy trek to the Dragonlord. It takes approximately 230 exp to go from level 6 to level 7, and that's with the average enemy giving you 15 exp or less around Kol. Usually monsters droped 1.5 to 2x as much gold as they do experience(exception: Metal Slime), so that's how I was able to rake in the cash without even gaining a single level.

re: Quitting
Ok, ok, I'll keep going. :) I just didn't see the number of reads going up after I posted this morning, so I had no idea you guys were still reading mine without any responses.

Egarwaen
05-07-2008, 11:15 AM

Totally! I'm reading all of them and enjoying this one because I've never played it.

Brickroad
05-07-2008, 11:16 AM
Even if people quit reading and replying altogether, keep going because you love it.

I haven't been responding much because I can't see the pictures from work, and when I get home and re-read the (great many) Let's Play topics I don't have the time to really respond to all of them. I do what I can, though. =)

Falselogic
05-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Did the creator of Dragonball start with Dragon Warrior? Did he design slimes and such or was he a later edition? If I recall the original NES box and manual didn't look like his work.

How would you get someone into this game now? Or is your enjoyment of it mostly nostolgia?

Do DQ2 and 3 also have stupid menus and such low level caps? Which DQ made it to the States? Have you played them? Which do you recommend for someone who wants to get into DQ but can't get past the menu system.

Or why is DQ such a great franchise? When all I see is Dragonball characters and really oldschool gameplay...

I wonder if I'll be able to play Blue Dragon, which I just started isn't it just DQ on Xbox?

shivam
05-07-2008, 11:22 AM
dude, don't fucking stop. this is one of my favorite games of all time, and i'm vicariously living it through you.

I don't have anything to say, because you're preemptively covering my thoughts.

I love DW to death. the quest isn't over yet, son. we got us a demon to kill.

ringworm
05-07-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm really digging this. Let's Plays are a bit time-consuming though because I really have to pay attention when reading them, so I usually only do it when I have a chunk of time to spare and read like 2 or 3 entries at a time.

MCBanjoMike
05-07-2008, 11:36 AM
In all fairness, there's also been a bit of a Let's Play EXPLOSION around here. We currently have threads for:

Let's Play: Dragon Warrior
Let's Play: Mystic Quest
Let's Play: X-Com
Let's Play: Zelda: LttP
Let's Play: Silent Hill
Master Class: Legend of Zelda

I have no trouble following all these threads (indeed, I am enjoying them immensely), but it's getting difficult to comment on all of them.

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot about Mystic Quest. There really are a lot of these things happening right now.

TheSL
05-07-2008, 11:37 AM
Did the creator of Dragonball start with Dragon Warrior? Did he design slimes and such or was he a later edition? If I recall the original NES box and manual didn't look like his work.
He actually worked on Dragonball long before he started on Dragon Quest. The US box and manual didn't look like his art for the same reason that most NES-era games(see: Megaman) didn't- the companies didn't think the anime-style artwork would appeal to American consumers. Here is what the original box art looked like:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/Dq1boxart.jpg

How would you get someone into this game now? Or is your enjoyment of it mostly nostolgia?

Do DQ2 and 3 also have stupid menus and such low level caps? Which DQ made it to the States? Have you played them? Which do you recommend for someone who wants to get into DQ but can't get past the menu system.

Or why is DQ such a great franchise? When all I see is Dragonball characters and really oldschool gameplay...
I think it has a lot to do with nostalgia, yes, but there is a solid gameplay system in there as well. The remakes on GBC streamline a lot of the issues with the menu-based commands- its a lot like Earthbound if you've played that. If you haven't played any Dragon Warrior/Quest game yet, I'd suggest either starting with one of the GBC remakes of 1&2 or 3 or the PS2 Dragon Quest VIII.
I wonder if I'll be able to play Blue Dragon, which I just started isn't it just DQ on Xbox?
Blue Dragon felt more like a Toriyama project and less like Dragon Quest. I didn't really care for the characters and the battle system seemed rather uninspired. Also: Yuji Horrii > Hironobu Sakaguchi

Falselogic
05-07-2008, 11:58 AM
He actually worked on Dragonball long before he started on Dragon Quest. The US box and manual didn't look like his art for the same reason that most NES-era games(see: Megaman) didn't- the companies didn't think the anime-style artwork would appeal to American consumers. Here is what the original box art looked like

Oh I knew Dragonball was really old, my question (which you answered) was whether he was involved from the beginning of the series or not

I'd suggest either starting with one of the GBC remakes of 1&2 or 3 or the PS2 Dragon Quest VIII.

I have a copy of DQ8 guess I should start playing it as I don't have a GBC

Blue Dragon felt more like a Toriyama project and less like Dragon Quest. I didn't really care for the characters and the battle system seemed rather uninspired. Also: Yuji Horrii > Hironobu Sakaguchi

Hmmm, I'll have to play it and see, since I already own it, also I have no idea who those two people you mentioned are

djSyndrome
05-07-2008, 12:01 PM
Reading this has reminded me that DQ1 was a very bad game that paved the way for much better sequels. But I'm enjoying it regardless, so please keep going!

TheSL
05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
also I have no idea who those two people you mentioned are

Horii is to Dragon Quest as Sakaguchi is to Final Fantasy/Blue Dragon. Basically, they're the guys who thought up the basic concept and directed the creative team.

Knight
05-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Reading this is great nostalgia, I hated the caves because of the torches, and I would run out of them (or run of of MP for Radiant) and get lost. Grave of Garinham and Haukness were the stuff of my childhood nightmares (Also Baron von Blubba, but that's a different story).

Any particular reason you're going to Grave of Garinham instead of Mountain Cave first?

TheSL
05-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Any particular reason you're going to Grave of Garinham instead of Mountain Cave first?

Its closer to the save point and I've got the key to enter it were pretty much my only justifications.

Sven
05-07-2008, 12:47 PM
I have no trouble following all these threads (indeed, I am enjoying them immensely), but it's getting difficult to comment on all of them.

X-com's going to be a long, long haul, trust me on that. The only reason I threw it up there was to get most of the background information in place - it'll be about five days before I even complete the first month's worth of talking points.

This one I really like, because I HATED DW when I first played it due to the menu stupidity and general unfriendliness. I've never beaten it, so this is fascinating.

mopinks
05-07-2008, 12:50 PM

I discovered that area and spent weeks slaughtering scorpions until I got up to level 15 or something ridiculous like that, and then gave up on Dragon Warrior forever for some reason.

I didn't really 'get' RPGs back then!

Patrick
05-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Keep it up, Mr. TheSL! I like these a lot, and especially for games like DW and FF1 that I will never ever play through.

Pombar
05-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Keep it up, Mr. TheSL! I like these a lot, and especially for games like DW and FF1 that I will never ever play through.But why wouldn't you? Cost I can see, and definitely the gameplay of DQ1 stifles enjoyment a tad, but FF1 is the least demanding RPG in history. Unless, I suppose, you don't like RPGs.

Patrick
05-07-2008, 01:39 PM
But why wouldn't you? Cost I can see, and definitely the gameplay of DQ1 stifles enjoyment a tad, but FF1 is the least demanding RPG in history. Unless, I suppose, you don't like RPGs.

I tend to only play through RPGs every once in a while. I like them in moderation, but too much turn based combat and grinding gets to me. In the last year I've played through FFXII, about half of Disgaea, and now Persona 3FES. I think I should be set on RPGs for a good while.

Also, I have a hard time going back to games before SNES. I know that this forum is basically built on the love of old games, but I just don't have the patience to deal with the lack of... er... modern conveniences.

Brickroad
05-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Also, I have a hard time going back to games before SNES. I know that this forum is basically built on the love of old games, but I just don't have the patience to deal with the lack of... er... modern conveniences.

Your avatar says otherwise, good sir.

Pombar
05-07-2008, 01:59 PM
There're modern conveniences (or at least, streamlined gameplay and difficulty in addition to pretty graphics) in the PSP remake of FF1 - as I'm finding out, playing it now. It feels like a prettied up SNES game.
Though frankly, if they were going to change this much about the game (MP system, for one), they really should have put in the ATB, too. I'm of the generation that feels that RPGs just aren't the same without it.

Octopus Prime
05-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I just felt like adding this bit of knowledge: At Level 7 you get the Sleep Spell, at which point the game is over. There are few-to-no enemies that cannot be affected by Sleep, and it buys you 2-5 rounds to heal or batter enemies.

This is one of the only instances I can think of where the Sleep spell is almost game-breakingly powerful.

TheSL
05-07-2008, 02:26 PM
I just felt like adding this bit of knowledge: At Level 7 you get the Sleep Spell, at which point the game is over. There are few-to-no enemies that cannot be affected by Sleep, and it buys you 2-5 rounds to heal or batter enemies.

This is one of the only instances I can think of where the Sleep spell is almost game-breakingly powerful.

Yeah, I figured I'd mention that in the next post. I'd pretty much forgotten all about it since I didn't learn it until my way back to save.

Falselogic
05-07-2008, 02:28 PM
What level is our guy at right now? 2 or 3?

TheSL are you going for a low run? Just the basics no grinding? Or will you make sure you reach a certain level before fighting the DragonLord?

P.S. is the DragonLord the head baddie in all the DQ?

Jakanden
05-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Reading this has reminded me that DQ1 was a very bad game that paved the way for much better sequels. But I'm enjoying it regardless, so please keep going!

My thoughts on this exactly. I haven't actually put more than an hour into this game in about 15 years because I just cannot stand the design mechanics anymore. Reading this allows me a refresher without the pain of doing it myself.

Sanagi
05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
I certainly don't miss the old RPG trope of hiding items invisibly in weird places, and then having one person in a town somewhere who says "The ultimate magic doo-dad is five paces west of a purple goat."

Patrick
05-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Your avatar says otherwise, good sir.

Haha, ok, you got me. I'm cool with old school platformers and puzzle games, it's just early RPGs and text games that I don't like...

But the point is that I'm enjoying 'Let's Play' immensely! Maybe it will kindle a love of old RPGs, but for now I'm happy to sit back and watch someone else play them.

TheSL
05-07-2008, 03:55 PM
What level is our guy at right now? 2 or 3?

TheSL are you going for a low run? Just the basics no grinding? Or will you make sure you reach a certain level before fighting the DragonLord?

P.S. is the DragonLord the head baddie in all the DQ?

Our hero is up to level 7 as of last night's playtime. I'm not especially trying for a low-level playthough, but I'm not going out of my way to grind for exp. Now that I've got the sleep spell it should be a lot easier from here on out. I hope.

The Dragonlord is not the end boss for all Dragon Quest games. He does have some significance past the first game, though...

Octopus Prime
05-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Not a whole lot of significance, mind you. But some.

As for being the meanest mamma-jamma in the series? Not even remotely close. He was pretty good in Dragon Warrior Monsters though.

Red Hedgehog
05-07-2008, 05:11 PM
I have a copy of DQ8 guess I should start playing it as I don't have a GBC

Another option is to wait for DQIV's release for the DS since it is still my favorite game in the series.

Yeah. I loved it as a kid, but even for its time it was quite... primitive.

mopinks
05-07-2008, 05:36 PM
oh, hey!

Regarding the Japanese version, in the town that the hero first buys keys, a woman offers to provide "puff-puff" to the Hero. This was changed in the American release as the woman asks if the hero would like to purchase tomatoes.

how Toriyama can you get?

dwolfe
05-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I made it to the dragonlord JUST as I hit level 19 (learned hurtmore).

Spoiler comment (although really....a game this old and an RPG trope this overused? Still, in the spirit of Let's Play, no spoiling when possible?):

I died after getting to the second form of the dragonlord every time, and never ground out levels. Looking forward to seeing the strategy used.

Octopus Prime
05-07-2008, 06:39 PM
Dude, you use Sleep.
Sleep makes everything drowsy.

...you know what I mean.

DrSenbei
05-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I enjoy the fact that TheSL is dieing all over the place because it reminds me of my childhood. Seriously, I couldn't topple the Dragonlord at level 19 for the life of me, but at level 20 I had just enough HP/MP to squeek by.

Is sleep that good? I remember how pissed I was after doing all the legwork to get the Fairy Flute only to have the Golem wake up every single turn. I wait with baited breath.

Red Hedgehog
05-07-2008, 09:55 PM
I enjoy the fact that TheSL is dieing all over the place because it reminds me of my childhood. Seriously, I couldn't topple the Dragonlord at level 19 for the life of me, but at level 20 I had just enough HP/MP to squeek by.

As a kid, I remember thinking level 20 was the minimum level you needed to beat the Dragonlord. I may have read that in some strategy guide or just made that up.

Is sleep that good? I remember how pissed I was after doing all the legwork to get the Fairy Flute only to have the Golem wake up every single turn. I wait with baited breath.

Well you actually got two turns - the one when you used it and one more where you could attack. So yes, it dead make beating him easy as pie, if tedious.

Odin
05-08-2008, 02:54 AM
First, TheSL, I've been busy this week and will continue to be for the next week, so I'll only be checking in every couple of days and ignoring most of the other threads for the moment. I'm rooting for you!

... and much like Brickroad, you're tempting me with nostalgia. Now to answer questions!

Anyone can correct any errors in this, I'm fairly but not 100% sure on this story:

Dragonball began its run in 1985, as my DragonBall volume 1 says the first printing was 9/15/1985 and I doubt it took them 9 months from first chapter serialized in Shonen Jump to first compiled volume since it was published weekly.

Yuji Horii, a computer nerd who loved Wizardry, won a design-a-game contest through Shonen Jump that was sponsored by Enix. Now I'm a little fuzzy on whether he made another game, got hired by Enix, and made DQ, or if this contest game was DQ itself. He decided to make an RPG, but to make it accessible to your average person.

Enix and Shonen Jump were buddy-buddy, and somebody went over to Toriyama and asked him to make some promotional art for the game.

So the long answer is: Akira Toriyama became famous with Dr. Slump and DragonBall was starting to take off when he was asked to draw some slimes and dragons and heroes for this new-fangled RPG in 1986. He's been with the series from the beginning, but he was famous before the game.

And like most box art at the time, what sells in Japan is deemed unmarketable in the States.

Mostly nostalgia. Nostalgia and a bull-headed determination to expand your gaming literacy by playing What Came Before.

The GBC remakes simplify the menu system so you don't have to STAIR and DOOR and such. Personally I've only played I (NES, SFC, GBC), II (GBC), V (PS2), and VIII (PS2) (and didn't finish II), but I would say start with VIII. It's the most modern and accessible, but it might spoil you should you try going back to the earlier installments. I believe DQII has a level cap of 50. The USA has DQ I, II, III, IV (NES), VII (PS1), and VIII (PS2). Plus some of the spin-offs.

It has at its core solid gameplay and an understandable interface. Now we cringe at the thought of taking the STAIRs with button presses, but it was a lot better than whatever command you had to input in an average PC RPG back in 1986. The love of young boys (a key audience) for Toriyama designs has been unflagging since DragonBall first began. And by keeping the series (largely) mired in the 8-bit days, it remains accessible to old fans who haven't touched a game system since the LAST Dragon Quest game came out. Grandmothers and salarymen play these games.

TheSL
05-08-2008, 07:44 AM
5/8/2008 - The Silver Harp of Garin

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-88.png

This is Garinham Town, located in the most northwestern section of the map and where we'll find the next of items we need to complete the Rainbow Bridge.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-89.png

While the significance of Garin himself is never really explained, we did come to his town in order to loot his treasured harp.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-90.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-92.png

A few of the villagers give us clues as to the location of Princess Gwaelin. Ruling out Erdrick's Cave, this really only leaves the marsh cave connecting Rimuldar and Kol as an option. We'll seek her out soon enough.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-91.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/Nester2.png That guy sure gets around...

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-93.png

Using one of our magic keys we gain access to the north half of the town. This villager tells us of a southern village by the name of Haukness. The state of the village is unknown, but surely we'll discover its fate eventually in our journey.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-94.png

TheSL
05-08-2008, 07:54 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-95.png

There were a few treasures strewn about the northern part of the city, including a Torch and an Herb. The secret entrance to Garin's grave is located 3 steps to the right of the far left wall.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-96.png

The old man warns us to stay away from the grave, that the harp attracts enemies. Ignoring his warning, we plunge headlong into the grave and light up the torch for some exploring.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-97.png

We had to use a second magic key to reach the depths of Garin's grave, but thats why I bought so many last time we were in Rimuldar. Speaking of Rimuldar, the monsters in the lower sections of this dungeon are a further tier higher than those around the town. Stuff like the Wolflord here can take ~20+ HP off my hero with a single blow.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-98.png

Luckily, though, we were able to reach the bottom of the grave and retrieve the harp without dying.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-99.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-100.png

We weren't so lucky on the way out, though, as this Wraith gave us a free trip back to town. Oh well, 43g is a small price to pay not to have to walk out of this damn place again.

TheSL
05-08-2008, 08:10 AM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-101.png

Why I searched through this grave for a harp probably wasn't readily apparent to those of you who have not played through Dragon Warrior before. To the west of the village of Kol there is an old man who requests that you seek out the harp in exchange for the Staff of Rain.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-102.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-103.png

Handing over the harp to him nets us the staff and puts us one step closer to our goal of building a bridge to the Dragonlord's Castle. Hell, we've already got all of the ingredients for the bridge, we just have to take them to the old man down in the southeastern corner of the map. Since its been so long since I've played through this, I can't remember if he'll go ahead and give it to me right now...

Self-indulgent Sidequest Time!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-104.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-105.png

South of Rimuldar is where the old man in the magic shrine will form the Rainbow Drop by combining the Staff of Rain with the Stones of Sunlight.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-106.png

Crossing the bridge puts us into another tier of monsters again. Usually all I run into down here are Wyverns, but for some reason I kept running into a Goldman as I made my way to the shrine. Run away!

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-107.png
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-108.png

This old man is much less helpful than the others I have encountered. Pissed that I have failed him, he warps me back outside. I guess I need to save the princess and/or get Erdrick's Token before he'll bother to make the Rainbow Drop for me.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Dragon%20Warrior/DragonWarrior-109.png

Ok, so next I have a few options for what I can do. All of them are probably going to require that I at least grind out a weapon or armor upgrade as I'm still running on the club and leather armor I picked up back in Brecconary.

-Go to the Marsh Cave, defeat the Green Dragon and rescue Princess Gwaelin.
-Explore the Mountain Cave(kind of a pointless place except for the Fighter's Ring)
-Attempt to located Erdrick's Token without the help of Gwaelin's Love (masochistic, probably won't work option)

Brickroad
05-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I think the Token, not the Princess, is what's required. The current DW1 tool-assisted speedrun doesn't rescue the Princess at all, but gets the Token first thing.

Here's what I've always wondered: after rescuing the Princess you have to carry her home, right? Can you just finish the game while carrying her, without delivering her back to the king?

TheSL
05-08-2008, 08:22 AM
Here's what I've always wondered: after rescuing the Princess you have to carry her home, right? Can you just finish the game while carrying her, without delivering her back to the king?

Maybe...you'd probably have to use save states to be able to do it unless you wanted to play for a few hours very carefully, hoping you don't die. Personally, I'm more curious if you beat the Dragonlord without saving her if you can save her from the Green Dragon on your walk back to town in the ending.

Zithuan
05-08-2008, 08:23 AM
I'm pretty sure you don't fight any random encounters while carrying the Princess, but I'd assume spike squares (like the Axe Knight in Hauksness) still work.
If you're going to try defeating the Dragonlord with Gwaelin in your inventory, you'd probably need to grind up a lot beforehand.

EDIT: Theory disproved

TheSL
05-08-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm pretty sure you don't fight any random encounters while carrying the Princess, but I'd assume spike squares (like the place, with the guy) still work.

Hell, if that's true it would make the trip out to get the Token trivial with her in my arms.

Brickroad
05-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Man, if you can avoid encounters that way, it sounds like a great deal. Since all you get from Gwaelin is the location of the token, and it's possible to get the token without the location, getting your grinding out of the way beforehand and then grabbing the princess last and taking her to the end would be a flashy way to finish.

Zithuan
05-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Nevermind, I'm wrong :(

I dug out my old DW cartridge and had a save file at level 23, never having rescued the Princess; perfect for testing this theory. Unfortunately, I only took a few steps before getting attacked by a Druin.

Not sure where I got that idea; probably one of those rumors that circulated through elementary school or something.

TheSL
05-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Regardless of its utility, it still sounds like a fun idea to carry the princess around everywhere. I mean, assuming I can still buy stuff and sleep at the inn with princess in hand.

Zithuan
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah, talking to NPCs is completely unaffected it seems. Only thing you wouldn't be able to do is save, obviously.

Innkeeper:
"Good morning, Thou hast had a good night's sleep I hope."
"I shall see thee again."

Damn voyeuristic innkeepers...

nadia
05-08-2008, 09:27 AM
5/8/2008 - The Silver Harp of Garin
While the significance of Garin himself is never really explained, we did come to his town in order to loot his treasured harp.

Ooh, ooh! (Waves hand around like a nerd)

Garin was a minor character in Dragon Warrior 3. I know he founded that particular town and he had a falling out with his parents or something, and...yeah, I can't remember the rest.

So what happens when you finish the game without Gwaylen? To be honest, I didn't even know you could use her love to find the Token. Some dude just told me, "It's in a swamp," so I figured it was that big-ass swamp near Haukness (I think that was it) and I searched every square 'til I found it.

TheSL
05-08-2008, 09:38 AM
I think what I'll probably do is save the princess last before heading to the Dragonlord and then do two runs(one with princess in-hand, the other without saving her) at it to see if anything changes in the ending. I don't know why doing these things never occurred to me before, they seem like the kind of time-wasting things I would have done when I was little.

Swordian
05-08-2008, 09:49 AM
You can beat the game without saving Gwaelin and the game actually accounts for this in the ending. There is some line about wondering whatever happened to her. What I like to do is kill the dragon guarding her, but leave her in the cave. Then I either pick her up on the way to the Dragonlord, on the way back from killing him, or not at all.

Knight
05-08-2008, 12:14 PM
We weren't so lucky on the way out, though, as this Wraith gave us a free trip back to town. Oh well, 43g is a small price to pay not to have to walk out of this damn place again.
Yep, that place was 5 floors of hell. I'm surprised you made it through there though, I don't think I beat it until I was level 10.