PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play / Master Classes Archive

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

PapillonReel
05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
EDIT: Please head over to the new thread for details.

dussssstin
05-02-2008, 07:59 PM
what's a master class?

PapillonReel
05-02-2008, 08:01 PM
what's a master class?

It's Talking Time's name for Let's Play (I think...). It popped up in TheSL's DQ thread, and no one seemed to mind it, so I went with it.

Red Hedgehog
05-02-2008, 08:30 PM
Man, seeing it in print like this, I find Master Class to be pretty lame. I think I actually prefer Playing Time.

dosboot
05-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Ditto. Also not all games have enough strategy for it be the focus, so the name is limiting.

Sanagi
05-02-2008, 11:19 PM
Wow, there's already fifteen scheduled? And only one happens at a time?

reibeatall
05-02-2008, 11:21 PM
It looks like two will happen at a time, and Brick's already done with his.

Gredlen
05-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Well, twelve people expressed interest in doing one. That doesn't necessarily mean they'll all actually go through with it. Personally, I think they should go one at a time, to keep from stepping on anyone else's toes. If we have three going on at the same time, I don't know if I'd feel like keeping up with all of them.

Anyway, if people don't like the name this can be the place to discuss what to change it to! Maybe our benevolent overlord wouldn't mind changing the topic title to reflect whatever we decide on.

Zef
05-02-2008, 11:32 PM
I think two at a time could work, if they can be scheduled appropriately. Part of why Brickroad's FF1 thread was so awesome was how he was able to update twice (or more) per day, but not all of us have the time to maintain such a schedule. Realistically, I'd probably be able to churn out two updates a week (I could probably push it to four with the New Game + feature, which preserves all your accrued Praise and whatever upgrades you bought with it, but that's no way to play a LP-style thread. :p) For cases like that, it'd probably be OK to have another thread running parallel to it.

Alixsar
05-02-2008, 11:39 PM
I would love to get in on this in the future. I'd say the only game I know well enough that I could do this would be Ocarina of Time or the original Mega Man X. I don't have the time now due to school, but come summertime it's certainly a possibility. I also don't know how I'd make screen caps if I did OoT, but that's one I'd love to do. I have a Master Quest playthrough that I never finished, so I could either start that game over or play the original OoT, which I know like the back of my hand.

Edit: WAIT. I just had an idea. I've beaten KOTOR twice, and while I don't know it as well as OoT, I do know it pretty damn well and I could easily take screen caps of it (since I have it for PC). Put me down for either KOTOR or (a screen-cap-less) OoT playthrough.

PapillonReel
05-02-2008, 11:48 PM
Edit: WAIT. I just had an idea. I've beaten KOTOR twice, and while I don't know it as well as OoT, I do know it pretty damn well and I could easily take screen caps of it (since I have it for PC). Put me down for either KOTOR or (a screen-cap-less) OoT playthrough.

Done and done. :)

I think two at a time could work, if they can be scheduled appropriately. Part of why Brickroad's FF1 thread was so awesome was how he was able to update twice (or more) per day, but not all of us have the time to maintain such a schedule. Realistically, I'd probably be able to churn out two updates a week (I could probably push it to four with the New Game + feature, which preserves all your accrued Praise and whatever upgrades you bought with it, but that's no way to play a LP-style thread. :p) For cases like that, it'd probably be OK to have another thread running parallel to it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having two threads parallel, since it would speed things up enough that people on queue won't grow bored waiting for their turn (it might also help ease the pressure off the backs of anyone playing longer, more involved games, since they wouldn't have to worry about the next guy in line).

nunix
05-03-2008, 12:00 AM
Honestly, the whole "scheduling" thing seems to suck half the fun out of it. And I wouldn't be surprised if enthusiasm-to-do-this-right-now dies off when someone's "turn" comes up however many months down the road.

PapillonReel
05-03-2008, 12:04 AM
Honestly, the whole "scheduling" thing seems to suck half the fun out of it. And I wouldn't be surprised if enthusiasm-to-do-this-right-now dies off when someone's "turn" comes up however many months down the road.

Problem is, if there are too many going on at once, then enthusiasm dies even faster because no one will be able to keep up, which makes it a bit of a catch-22 in that sense. I agree that the schedule will probably end up turning some people off, so maybe we should go with who's most prepared next and go from there?

Coinspinner
05-03-2008, 12:30 AM
I wanna do another. I can't decide between FF5, FFT, Star Ocean 2, or SaGa Frontier though. Or maybe I should just finish FFL2, heh...

Gredlen
05-03-2008, 12:33 AM
I'm somewhat interested in doing a SaGa Frontier II Let's Play. But I was under the impression that one of Parish's goals is to eventually go through all the SaGa games for the Fun Club. I'm not sure if I'd want to do it if that was the case.

Sanagi
05-03-2008, 12:53 AM
I'll do Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Next question, should I do it in Spanish?

Alixsar
05-03-2008, 01:00 AM
I'm somewhat interested in doing a SaGa Frontier II Let's Play. But I was under the impression that one of Parish's goals is to eventually go through all the SaGa games for the Fun Club. I'm not sure if I'd want to do it if that was the case.

If Parish gives you the go ahead, I'd love to see this. Then again, I think I might be the only person in the world who would love to see this.

By the way, when this is all said and done several months from now, we should all collect our posts and put them together somewhere. It'd be like an issue of Gamespite, only way longer and more ridiculous.

Lakupo
05-03-2008, 01:01 AM
"Let's Positive Playing!"

Well, I'd say the Fun Club and Let's Plays have different purposes, and aren't mutually exclusive! I hope people might want to play Metroid II after they see it! A Let's Play could encourage a Fun Club in a weird way. (a friend is kind of down on Let's Plays because some people treat them as a substitute for actually playing a game, which is true to some extent, heck, I've done it reading aboue an adventure game or two, but I think they can get people excited for a game all the same)

Gredlen
05-03-2008, 01:10 AM
I definitely agree that they serve different purposes, but I guess I just figured people might not feel like participating in the Fun Club if they've already read the Let's Play.

On the other hand, Brick's FF1 LP seemed to have the complete opposite effect, so maybe I'm totally wrong.

Brickroad
05-03-2008, 01:13 AM
I could follow as many of these at once as people care to write, but then not everyone lives on Talking Time like I do.

The subject really doesn't matter to me. I think I would love to read any Let's Play provided the author is passionate about his game and knows it pretty well.

I don't even necessarily think they have to be focused on RPGs. If someone wanted to spend a weekend banging out a kickass Let's Play for, say, Mega Man 2 I think everyone would be all about that.

If we must have a schedule, maybe we can take a page from Fun Club: have one mega-epic Let's Play (say, an RPG) alongside a series of shorter ones, two at a time. Turnaround on the short ones will be quick enough that everyone can have a turn.

I will say this, if you haven't done one of these before IT IS A LOT MORE WORK THAN YOU ARE EXPECTING. It's easy to say "yeah man I can sit down and bang out Chrono Trigger in a weekend" and another thing entirely to break the game down to its component parts and show it off. I'd hate to see people start these and get burned out and not finish them, especially Red Hedgehog's Bard's Tale because holy christ I want to see that one so bad. =)

Gredlen
05-03-2008, 01:27 AM
If we must have a schedule, maybe we can take a page from Fun Club: have one mega-epic Let's Play (say, an RPG) alongside a series of shorter ones, two at a time. Turnaround on the short ones will be quick enough that everyone can have a turn.

I really like this idea.

My other main concern about doing a SaGa Frontier II Let's Play, though, is that I don't think I could make it funny. All the Let's Play threads I've ever read were pretty funny, so I don't know if a relatively serious LP would work.

Lakupo
05-03-2008, 01:29 AM
I'd say a good LP usually is either funny and/or insightful, but I've certainly seen serious, straight playthrough LPs. I'm not saying it's recommended, but it's possible and has been done. :P

Merus
05-03-2008, 07:14 AM
Put me down for Deadly Rooms of Death. I haven't decided which DROD I'm going to do, between the one I worked on and the earlier one that I'm better at. I'll leave that decision for the thread.

Knight
05-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I will say this, if you haven't done one of these before IT IS A LOT MORE WORK THAN YOU ARE EXPECTING. It's easy to say "yeah man I can sit down and bang out Chrono Trigger in a weekend" and another thing entirely to break the game down to its component parts and show it off. I'd hate to see people start these and get burned out and not finish them, especially Red Hedgehog's Bard's Tale because holy christ I want to see that one so bad. =)
This is kinda what I was thinking. Chrono Trigger is probably the game I've played the most and know the most about, so it would be the one I'd do if I decided to. But it is a different thing to take screen-caps, think of witty or interesting comments, and break down some of the technical parts. Hell, I don't think I really know much of the technical type parts of the game, I just know how to easily make my way through an already easy game. I guess I could start it months before my turn came up to make sure I can come up with enough good screen-cap comments, but I'd much rather make it more interactive thing, like having input on the character names, or which sidequest to do first.

BEAT
05-03-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm definitely looking forwards to Locit's.

I'd claim a Sonic game for myself, but I'm not really the sort of person who could do a lets play.

ringworm
05-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Sign me up for Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

shivam
05-03-2008, 09:22 AM
so i tried playing civ again last night just to see if this would work, and i don't think it can, given the format. it would be a ridiculous amount of work for not so much pay off. lots of static screens and such.

Falselogic
05-03-2008, 10:19 AM
Doing a Space Quest series run, at least up till the 3rd as I have the games memorized up to there. I could do a King's Quest run through the 6th game as well. Sounds like a lot but the earlier games in both series can be beaten in one sitting, often less than an hour....

Anyone want to see that?

shivam
05-03-2008, 10:34 AM
i love any sierra game that features quest in the title.

Crested Penguin
05-03-2008, 11:23 AM
I could see doing Vagrant Story or Valkyrie Profile (the first one, the second wouldn't work so well). They're both relatively short RPGs that are somewhat well known, but a lot of people haven't gotten through them because of quirky/frustrating elements. Either has room for audience participation challenges/choices (party selection in VP changes the dynamic, same for weapon selection in VS). I've played them both to death, too.

spineshark
05-03-2008, 11:46 AM
I could see doing Vagrant Story or Valkyrie Profile (the first one, the second wouldn't work so well). They're both relatively short RPGs that are somewhat well known, but a lot of people haven't gotten through them because of quirky/frustrating elements. Either has room for audience participation challenges/choices (party selection in VP changes the dynamic, same for weapon selection in VS). I've played them both to death, too.
VP2 would be great, I could even see myself trying it. There's a ton of room to show off tricks and shortcuts and various bits of knowledge about the game systems.

Red Hedgehog
05-03-2008, 12:17 PM
I'd hate to see people start these and get burned out and not finish them, especially Red Hedgehog's Bard's Tale because holy christ I want to see that one so bad. =)

You just want to see me suffer. :)

I'm still undecided on which version to do. I'm thinking the Mac version for (my) nostalgia's sake, though.

And I have a great idea for how to open but am totally worried about it petering out as I get more into the game.

nunix
05-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Problem is, if there are too many going on at once, then enthusiasm dies even faster because no one will be able to keep up, which makes it a bit of a catch-22 in that sense. I agree that the schedule will probably end up turning some people off, so maybe we should go with who's most prepared next and go from there?

It won't be any worse than someone missing out on a game they wanted to cover. I also don't really get the whole "can't follow more than two threads at once" argument. There are a lot more active threads than that on the boards, and on every other message board someone may or may not read, news sites, et cetera. "Too difficult to keep track of" sounds like quite a lot of bullshit. =p

I just chafe at the sudden need to organise what should just be a fun thing that someone does for a game they know tonnes about and would like to share. Considering the fact that many of these games don't necessarily have a lot of room for audience participation in the first place, or even a lot of variation in their playthrough, you'd then need some person or group to say, "This game is good for coverage. This game is not." And where does that authority come from, and who gets it, and what are all the criteria for inclusion, and what happens when someone disappears for a couple of months, and, and, and...

My point being that making an actual go of organising this has a lot more angles, and it may just be better to let folk play and post what and when they want, rather than trying to control the dang thing.

Ample Vigour
05-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Decentralization.

You make good points. The last thing I want to see is drama originating in what's supposed to be fun for all involved.

PapillonReel
05-03-2008, 05:33 PM
(A damn good point).

Sorry, I think I see what you mean now. I got a little carried away, I guess; I didn't mean to try and systemize everything like that. The best approach might be to just list what everyone plans to do and let everyone go when they want to go; let people decide for themselves.

Pombar
05-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Perhaps a simpler policy is to indeed list them as has been done so far - but as more of a list of noted intent than as a strict schedule. People can (and probably would anyway) start these threads when they feel like it, but discretion is obviously advised. If there're three LPs/MCs going on at once, perhaps it'd be better to wait until one or two of them have finished - and you can say as much, "After the next one's done, I feel like doing one", in this thread, so that people can also be aware of who and how many people are thinking of attempting one after the current LPs/MCs are done.
There's no reason there needs to be a formal system to run this when open communication and discretion can be used to get the same result.

...Though now that I've written that, it does feel like a lot of self-evident fluff. Hurm.

PapillonReel
05-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I was thinking exactly that. Letting people talk it out and decide for themselves when to start their Let's Play is probably the best policy, and it's obvious enough that I'm ashamed I didn't realize it at first.

Anyway, I changed the list around to reflect that. Though does anyone know a better word than "claim" for the second list? It makes it sound too much like one person per game.

Pombar
05-03-2008, 06:04 PM
"When no word will suffice, invent your own." I vote 'Tap'.
But yes, a claiming, er, Tapping policy allows for not only multiple Taps per person, but also Tap overlap (rhymes for bonus points) between people. Since you can always change your mind before eventually attempting one, and it's always good to keep your options open. Again, communication would be key to avoid duplicates.

Ample Vigour
05-03-2008, 06:05 PM
Though does anyone know a better word than "claim" for the second list?

Does "proposed" sound too PowerPoint?

Pombar
05-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Proposed sounds solid to me, and less invented than my spur-of-the-moment filler word.
Other useful synonymous phrases include; prospective, speculative, expressed interests, intended. Though they're all a bit meaty, those words.

PapillonReel
05-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Proposed sounds good to me. Thanks for the input, guys.

Merus
05-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Doing a Space Quest series run, at least up till the 3rd as I have the games memorized up to there. I could do a King's Quest run through the 6th game as well. Sounds like a lot but the earlier games in both series can be beaten in one sitting, often less than an hour....

Anyone want to see that?
I was originally thinking of doing SQ1. Make sure you do the VGA version of SQ1 - it's a good deal funnier, and you'll probably get better screenshots.

Also, run them in DOSBox. You'll go mad trying to get screenshots for them any other way.

Torgo
05-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I very well might change my mind in due time, but for now I'm going to, uh, propose FFVI. I don't have the stat and technical knowledge of a true master, but I've played it so many times that I think (hope) that I could provide an entertaining and informative commentary.

Gredlen
05-03-2008, 09:25 PM
I hereby declare that a Let's Play on SaGa Frontier II shall commence in several months' time, to be executed by Gredlen.

Alixsar
05-03-2008, 11:19 PM
Sign me up for Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

I almost picked BG1, so I'm glad we've got someone representing on BG.

I hereby declare that a Let's Play on SaGa Frontier II shall commence in several months' time, to be executed by Gredlen.

Awesome, I am really looking forward to this. Good luck at the Battle of South Moundtop. Even if you use an FAQ, you've still only got a 25% chance of winning. Maybe even less.

As far as my Let's Play goes, does anyone know any good emulators for N64 games? I own multiple copies of OoT, but I don't know of any way I'd be able to take screen caps of my TV so it seems like emulating it on my PC would be the easiest way to do it (plus, as far as my understanding goes, it technically wouldn't be illegal since I own a legit copy of the game...I think that's how it works anyway). The only games I can truly say that I am a true master of are OoT and Starfox 64 (and Suikoden III, but I've beaten that game a million times already and don't want to do it again), but they're both N64 games so I need to figure out some way to get this to work. So...yeah, any/all ideas are welcome.

And if that doesn't work, then I'll just play KOTOR. Because KOTOR is awesome.

Merus
05-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Last time I checked Project 64 was still okay. There might be one with better compatibility out there these days, though.

Pheeel
05-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Wait a minute, I too crave acceptance from complete strangers! With that in mind, I'd like to take a stab at Silent Hill, as it's one of the few games I've actually beaten on all difficulty levels. Plus, it's fairly short.

Mightyblue
05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't really crave acceptance so much as an opportunity to let some steam off by playing through a game with a mind to snarkily deconstruct it for an audience, grinning the entire way.

Falselogic
05-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I was originally thinking of doing SQ1. Make sure you do the VGA version of SQ1 - it's a good deal funnier, and you'll probably get better screenshots.

Also, run them in DOSBox. You'll go mad trying to get screenshots for them any other way.

I grew up playing the original so I'm probably going to stick with it... I could do both and compare and contrast though...

Brickroad
05-04-2008, 01:24 PM
I don't really crave acceptance so much as an opportunity to let some steam off by playing through a game with a mind to snarkily deconstruct it for an audience, grinning the entire way.

Last time I checked this is what passed for acceptance 'round here.

Incidentally, you just described something like 89% of toastyfrog.com's content throughout its entire history.

Lucas
05-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Why shouldn't everyone play their games at once? It's not like they all have to post at once. Do your playthrough now, get screencaps, maybe record what you're thinking while you play, then when another LP is finishing up say "Hey guys, I got one ready" and take your turn posting? You could still just post one chapter a day, but we wouldn't have to watch too many threads at once and everyone could play their choice now while they're still enthusiastic about it (plus less odds of real life getting in the way of their updates in the middle of the thread).

It does kind of cut down on the forum interaction part, but for the most part - especially if this ends up more as a "let me show you how awesome I am at this game" thing than anything else - I don't know if that's so horrible. Did the forum decide anything in Brickroad's FF1 playthrough besides the character names?*

*Not saying that's good or bad, just using it as an example.

Sanagi
05-04-2008, 02:34 PM
Why shouldn't everyone play their games at once? It's not like they all have to post at once. Do your playthrough now, get screencaps, maybe record what you're thinking while you play, then when another LP is finishing up say "Hey guys, I got one ready" and take your turn posting? You could still just post one chapter a day, but we wouldn't have to watch too many threads at once and everyone could play their choice now while they're still enthusiastic about it (plus less odds of real life getting in the way of their updates in the middle of the thread).I'm already doing this.

It does kind of cut down on the forum interaction part, but for the most part - especially if this ends up more as a "let me show you how awesome I am at this game" thing than anything else - I don't know if that's so horrible.
And wondering about this.

Rai
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
After some consideration (and not being able to get System Shock to work on my lappy), I propose that I play a game or two of Fallout sometime in the relatively near future.

But, I do have some questions! Is there any amount of audience participation expected from these (a la allowing the audience to create my character for me versus them telling me in what order to do things versus me doing it all on my own), and are these just going up in Talking about television games? The answer to two seems to be "yes", but it seems like they'd get lost in the other messages.

Also, could we request games? Because I'd love a TT version of Oregon Trail.

Lakupo
05-04-2008, 04:40 PM
I think the more customization involved, the more audience participation would be appreciated. It puts the forum's unique stamp on the whole thing!

Red Hedgehog
05-04-2008, 04:48 PM
But, I do have some questions! Is there any amount of audience participation expected from these (a la allowing the audience to create my character for me versus them telling me in what order to do things versus me doing it all on my own), and are these just going up in Talking about television games? The answer to two seems to be "yes", but it seems like they'd get lost in the other messages.

Also, could we request games? Because I'd love a TT version of Oregon Trail.

Ha! TT Oregon Trail is pretty much how I'm planning to play my Bard's Tale playthrough.

I think audience participation is up to you, but it certainly makes it a lot more fun. It also depends how non-linear the game is.

Sanagi
05-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I think the more customization involved, the more audience participation would be appreciated. It puts the forum's unique stamp on the whole thing!
Speaking of which, the reason I originally wanted to do Ogre Battle 64 was because you get to name roughly a hundred characters, and this forum would've been the source of the names. Of course, there's a gender imbalance, and some forum members would've ended up as transvestites, but it still seemed like a fun idea.

Brickroad
05-04-2008, 11:12 PM
some forum members would've ended up as transvestites

I VOLUNTEER, SIR.

Alixsar
05-05-2008, 02:25 AM
Speaking of which, the reason I originally wanted to do Ogre Battle 64 was because you get to name roughly a hundred characters, and this forum would've been the source of the names. Of course, there's a gender imbalance, and some forum members would've ended up as transvestites, but it still seemed like a fun idea.

I call Destin.

Edit: So I experimented with that Project 64 emulator and a ROM of OoT. Everything works great (the game looks a lot better too...it's a lot sharper than the N64's super blurry version). So you can get rid of that "maybe I'll do KOTOR" thing, Papillion. I am now 100% going to do OoT at some point after finals.

Sven
05-05-2008, 10:18 AM
I got going on X-Com over the weekend just to bring myself back up to speed, and wound up with a GREAT game - I captured a Sectoid navigator (knocked out by concussion force from a grenade) on the second mission, and therefore had the Hyper-Wave Decoder earlier than just about any other playthrough.

Of course, I then realised that there's just so much about the game that needs a backstory / explanation that I'll probably start off with a bunch of text pieces with highlights from the UFOapaedia.

Makkara
05-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Of course, I then realised that there's just so much about the game that needs a backstory / explanation that I'll probably start off with a bunch of text pieces with highlights from the UFOapaedia.

That's probably a good idea. Also, remember to include every single autopsy and research report. They're the game's big payoff.

ringworm
05-05-2008, 10:36 AM
I almost picked BG1, so I'm glad we've got someone representing on BG.
I considered doing Baldur's Gate and moving on to BG2 and ToB with the same character, but I'm nowhere near as experienced with the original BG as I am with the sequel and I decided I wasn't willing to make that kind of commitment when I really just wanted to do BG2.

Sven
05-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Also, remember to include every single autopsy and research report. They're the game's big payoff.

Those I'll bring up as the game goes along (I tend to not see a lot of corpses, though...) - this'll just be stuff like explaining what equipment I start off with, the various views, etc.

Falselogic
05-05-2008, 10:51 AM
I got going on X-Com over the weekend just to bring myself back up to speed, and wound up with a GREAT game - I captured a Sectoid navigator (knocked out by concussion force from a grenade) on the second mission, and therefore had the Hyper-Wave Decoder earlier than just about any other playthrough.

Kinda of off topic but it is really bugging me. Has anyone ever been able to figure out why TFTD is available on STEAM but XCOM isn't

Falselogic
05-05-2008, 10:52 AM
I'll be starting Space Quest tonight I'll be playing both versions and pointing out some of the changes between the two and of course how to get a perfect game, I also thought showing all the humorous deaths would be good too...

I'll out it up once it's done and the other MCs finish.

Red Hedgehog
05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Kinda of off topic but it is really bugging me. Has anyone ever been able to figure out why TFTD is available on STEAM but XCOM isn't

I was wondering just the reverse - Why is X-Com on GameTap but TFTD isn't?

SpoonyGundam
05-05-2008, 11:25 AM
I considered doing Baldur's Gate and moving on to BG2 and ToB with the same character, but I'm nowhere near as experienced with the original BG as I am with the sequel and I decided I wasn't willing to make that kind of commitment when I really just wanted to do BG2.

So you're doing vanilla BG2? I always liked rushing the Watcher's Keep as soon as I could leave Amn. It's a fun little diversion if you aren't opposed to having any ToB stuff in it. Also, are you going to just do the standard single-player or create your own party? Creating the party would get more forum interaction, but a lot of the allies are pretty awesome. Maybe creating two or three characters instead of just the main?

I kind of want to do one of these, but it does sound like an awful lot of work. The two games I have in mind are perfect for this kind of thing, though. Seiken Densetsu 3 has roughly a hundred billion different party combinations between the characters and their classes, with some significant gameplay differences between parties. Legend of Mana is almost completely non-linear, and each quest is a conveniently-sized to fit one per post or so. I've written a FAQ for the latter, and I'm playing through the former for the 30th time or so right now, so..

I guess put me down for either. I'll do whichever there's more demand for at the time.

Sven
05-05-2008, 11:42 AM
I was wondering just the reverse - Why is X-Com on GameTap but TFTD isn't?

I think you've hit on the answer.

Anyway, the Win95 CE of X-Com is on Underdogs - that's the version I'm running for my playthrough (as much as random numbers of aliens / ship makes the missions much harder, that difficulty is needed). Although, as noted, screenshots are going to be tricky to manage.

nunix
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Legend of Mana is almost completely non-linear, and each quest is a conveniently-sized to fit one per post or so. I've written a FAQ for the latter, and I'm playing through the former for the 30th time or so right now, so..

SOMEONE should do Legend; it's really underappreciated (got swamped in that Year o' Square Releases, plus folk wanted more Secret of Mana and panned it because it was something different). It's also really perfect for audience participation; input on where to put every artifact land/zone, what quests to follow, what weapon(s) to specialise or customise, do you want this pet or that golem, et cetera.

ringworm
05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
So you're doing vanilla BG2? I always liked rushing the Watcher's Keep as soon as I could leave Amn. It's a fun little diversion if you aren't opposed to having any ToB stuff in it. Also, are you going to just do the standard single-player or create your own party? Creating the party would get more forum interaction, but a lot of the allies are pretty awesome. Maybe creating two or three characters instead of just the main?
I'm still coming up with exactly how I'm going to do it. Whether or not to load in ToB is probably one of the harder ones, actually. I personally feel like Throne of Bhaal is less cohesive than the original Shadows of Amn, and while still great, kinda takes away from the pure majesty that is SoA. Still, ToB adds a couple of things that are basically essential, specifically TAB highlighting doors and items, and being able to remove spells from the spellbook. And while Watcher's Keep has super awesome loot that you can get pretty early, I kinda feel like its cheating a bit.

So I dunno, I'm still debating it. I may load up ToB but avoid any of the new content, leaving it for if I decide to carry over into a ToB Let's Play.

As far as characters, since I think the character interactions with and between the established ones is probably one of the best things BG2 does, I will be playing entirely with the MC and them. However, I have some ideas about how we will be doing the MC involving a mix of audience participation and me rolling d20s to decide how he/she will progress.

Alixsar
05-05-2008, 04:47 PM

I'm the opposite; I played the living hell out of BG1 because it was one of the few games my old computer could actually run. Whereas I played BG2 on my current computer and then moved on to other stuff.

I'm still coming up with exactly how I'm going to do it. Whether or not to load in ToB is probably one of the harder ones, actually. I personally feel like Throne of Bhaal is less cohesive than the original Shadows of Amn, and while still great, kinda takes away from the pure majesty that is SoA. Still, ToB adds a couple of things that are basically essential, specifically TAB highlighting doors and items, and being able to remove spells from the spellbook. And while Watcher's Keep has super awesome loot that you can get pretty early, I kinda feel like its cheating a bit.

So I dunno, I'm still debating it. I may load up ToB but avoid any of the new content, leaving it for if I decide to carry over into a ToB Let's Play.

As far as characters, since I think the character interactions with and between the established ones is probably one of the best things BG2 does, I will be playing entirely with the MC and them. However, I have some ideas about how we will be doing the MC involving a mix of audience participation and me rolling d20s to decide how he/she will progress.

First of all, I would say that SoA is really all you should play. ToB is great fun, but it's not much story-wise so I don't see what you'd get out of it. And yeah, screw Watcher's Keep...although if you do decide to go there, then I won't blame you if you do what I always do and go and get Carsomyr as soon as humanly possible. That thing is a BEAST.

Second, if you're going to use the game's characters, that's fine. I'd recommend making your character a Ranger (that's what I did in BG1/2) since they're well balanced, but that's just me. I took myself (an Archer), Keldorn, Edwin, Jan, Cernd, and Korgan. Minsc was with me for a while too, but Korgan eventually took his place because with some haste boots and some good axes, that guy is FUCKING INSANE. So those are my recommendations; it's an unorthodox but surprisingly balanced and fun party. If you need me to convince you why they're all worthwhile, then let me know.

Lastly, these are all recommendations. Do whatever you want. I will say this though; if you don't take Jan Jansen, I am going to be incredibly disappointed with you. Easily one of the best RPG characters ever. Only HK-47 and Balthier are better than him.

What...? Is there a griffon about?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm super excited about my OoT playthrough. I've been bored in class all day, and I've already started planning down how I'm going to break the game down and how I'm going to sequence break and what parts I'm going to skip etc. This is going to be so awesome; you guys just wait.

Jeanie
05-05-2008, 05:06 PM
I've been thinking about trying a Icewind Dale 2 LP, but if I did, it wouldn't be until after the BG2 one. I don't want to confuse people because BG2 is AD&D and IWD2 is 3rd Ed., and I don't want to get everyone bouncing back and forth between rulesets.

It would be pretty good to do one though, as the party creation could be interactive. The hardest part of the game though is the first chapter because it puts your low-level party against large groups.

SpoonyGundam
05-05-2008, 05:52 PM
I soloed IWD2 until Slayer Knights of Xvim started showing up one time with a monk.

But my computer won't run it anymore. :(

ringworm
05-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah, the hardest part of plotting out BG2 so far is the fact that I am forced to re-learn the AD&D ruleset, the space in my brain it was occupying has since been scrubbed clean and repopulated with other data. IWD2 will be a great LP.

Jeanie
05-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Yeah, the hardest part of plotting out BG2 so far is the fact that I am forced to re-learn the AD&D ruleset, the space in my brain it was occupying has since been scrubbed clean and repopulated with other data. IWD2 will be a great LP.

Yeah I've tried to play BG2, but the AD&D ruleset is so different from the 3rd Ed. that I first learned how to play, that it's very hard for me to grok.

I'd figured the first couple of posts I'd explain the classes and some of tricks and terms, then post a few builds and let people vote on who they want in my party.

Oh and thanks for not putting any pressure on me or anything. heh.

Netbrian
05-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I'm interested in doing a Legacy of the Wizard lets play. I doubt I'm the only one that was repeatedly owned by the game in my childhood, and hey, it's a certified Metroidvania.

Loki
05-05-2008, 08:05 PM
I'd really like to do an Earthbound one. I've played through the game more times than I can remember and I've even gotten the Sword of Kings! I would consider myself pretty darn knowledgeable / passionate. But... the thing is... so are a lot of other people on these forums. It's not like there's a ton of obscure stuff like there was for FF1.

What does everyone think? Or am I just over thinking this?

nunix
05-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Loki: there are people doing PC adventure games. PC adventure games with (generally only) one solution to every puzzle, and one way through the game.

The Talking Time variant of these seems to have morphed into "pick a game you know pretty well, and show off some funny/cool stuff in the game so we can all talk about it." I wouldn't worry too much about that's good/not good to cover. If you're willing to do the work, we're interested in reading.

Red Hedgehog
05-05-2008, 08:33 PM
I'm interested in doing a Legacy of the Wizard lets play. I doubt I'm the only one that was repeatedly owned by the game in my childhood, and hey, it's a certified Metroidvania.

Dear God, I have tried to get through that game in my adulthood and couldn't bring myself to do it.

Loki
05-05-2008, 08:47 PM
Alright, put me down for Earthbound!

Also: I'd love to see a Legacy of the Wizard one.

dosboot
05-05-2008, 08:52 PM
Gah, I should be spending the final weeks of the semester studying for exams. But I'm spending it browsing Talking Time and playing games. So here's what I'll do: in the end of May I'll do a Shadowrun (snes) Let's Play, but in exchange I'll go without games and internet until then. Make sense? No? Ok.

I'll do a hardcore speedrun route. Surprisingly the only speedrun of this game I can find is a single practice run on youtube. I'll be doing a much different route though, so this'll be the first such run posted on the net.

Ample Vigour
05-05-2008, 09:02 PM
Gah, I should be spending the final weeks of the semester studying for exams. But I'm spending it browsing Talking Time and playing games. So here's what I'll do: in the end of May I'll do a Shadowrun (snes) Let's Play, but in exchange I'll go without games and internet until then. Make sense? No? Ok.

I'll do a hardcore speedrun route. Surprisingly the only speedrun of this game I can find is a single practice run on youtube. I'll be doing a much different route though, so this'll be the first such run posted on the net.

I used to think I was the only person in the world who thought the SNES Shadowrun was better than the Genesis version. It would be a blast to see that done. Can you PM the route you'll take for the speedrun.

nunix
05-05-2008, 09:35 PM
Genesis Shadowrun had great Matrix gameplay. It also FELT a little more Shadowrun-y thanks to the Seattle focus (Council Island, Barrens, et al).

Otherwise, SNES version was cooler to me: Also: cortex bomb!

Definitely interested in seeing a speedrun.

Brickroad
05-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Also: I'd love to see a Legacy of the Wizard one.

I am qualified to do this, but I don't know if I hate myself enough.

Seriously, it's a cool game and I really dig it, but I kind of feel like if I ever play it again I might die irl.

Ostrich
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I know I'm not a very active member, but I'd love to do a Let's Play just to see how it would turn out. I'm hoping that I have a good enough sense of humor to make it fun.

I'm actually thinking of claiming a Pokemon game, but which version should I do?

dosboot
05-05-2008, 10:43 PM
I'm not going to give anything away about the route since the details will be part of the surprise for reading each segment. Hopefully the run may amaze you at what is possible even if you've played Shadowrun a ton.

Gredlen
05-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm actually thinking of claiming a Pokemon game, but which version should I do?

Definitely one of the first generation games.

Ostrich
05-05-2008, 11:08 PM

Pokemon Yellow it is, then!

So I guess I officially claim that one. It's my favorite just for the fact that Pikachu constantly follows behind wherever I go. Makes dungeon crawling a little less lonely by having a faithful sidekick.

PapillonReel
05-05-2008, 11:09 PM

Go with Yellow.

Edit: Huh, never mind you beat me to it. :/

Sporophyte
05-05-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm not going to give anything away about the route since the details will be part of the surprise for reading each segment. Hopefully the run may amaze you at what is possible even if you've played Shadowrun a ton.

You have no idea how excited I am for this.

Pombar
05-06-2008, 12:47 AM
I get stuck on SNES Shadowrun within the first hour, so, yeah. A LP of it sounds awesome.

ringworm
05-06-2008, 08:02 AM
I used to think I was the only person in the world who thought the SNES Shadowrun was better than the Genesis version.
Are you serious? I thought it was the other way around? The SNES Shadowrun is pure awesomeness. I'd have to look it up, but I think Parish did a Bonus Stage on Shadowrun and Sharkey said essentially the same thing.

Sven
05-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Are you serious? I thought it was the other way around? The SNES Shadowrun is pure awesomeness. I'd have to look it up, but I think Parish did a Bonus Stage on Shadowrun and Sharkey said essentially the same thing.

The Genesis one is closer to the RPG, so the pen and paper crowd tends to look at it in a more favorable manner. The SNES one is the better video game, however, going so far as to poke fun at some genre conventions along the way.

Ample Vigour
05-06-2008, 01:41 PM
I must have had my perceptions colored by the magazine reviews of the time, which were all over the Genesis game's nuts. Personally, I found it indecipherable and punishingly hard. Also, at no point do you fight a laughing jester's mask.

Octopus Prime
05-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Hmm, every game I had the inclination to play has already been claimed by another.

Well, I might could be convinced into doing one for the original Legend of Zelda somewhere down the road.

Pombar
05-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Just so I don't end up in the same boat as Octopus Prime, I'll propose myself for Treasure of the Rudras and Inindo. Because FFL3 has been spoken for :P
I'll do one or the other once all these bothersome examination things are done in a week or six.

TheSL
05-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Treasure of the Rudras

Only if you use dirty words and/or forum member names for your spells.

Falselogic
05-06-2008, 02:17 PM

I'd like to see someone explain how the game turns words into spells, you know the algorithm or whatever it uses, to turn words into particular spells

nunix
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
It'd be nice if people gave times for when they're going to do a game. "Sometime in the future" sounds like "Probably never, someone else should really do it if they want to."

Ample Vigour
05-06-2008, 02:21 PM
It'd be nice if people gave times for when they're going to do a game. "Sometime in the future" sounds like "Probably never, someone else should really do it if they want to."

I see this turning into "first come first served" after a while. I've got a game picked out, but I ain't saying shit until I'm sitting on a few updates worth of material.

ted2000aed
05-06-2008, 02:30 PM
Hey, can you put me on the list for Final Fantasy Legends III on the good ole GB? That game lends itself to story-telling due to the sheer amount of dicking around you can do after you get the Talon. So if you'd please, queue me up for FFL:III.

Pombar
05-06-2008, 02:36 PM

I was thinking have Forum members list as many words as they can think of, as rude, forum-related, or random as they wish, and then I'd test them all out and use the best (in affect and in humour) as my permanent spellbook.
But frankly, don't mind anyway, I've always used silly words in that game. Magic isn't really my focus, since it's the easiest grinding game in history, so I can afford to mess around. So we'll see when I get to it. Which will certainly not be before June 19th, but should be soon-ish afterwards (depending on how many LPs are going at the time).
Or I could decide to be lazy and do Inindo. Forum participation in that would be anti-Nobunaga tactic, I guess.

Hey, can you put me on the list for Final Fantasy Legends III on the good ole GB? That game lends itself to story-telling due to the sheer amount of dicking around you can do after you get the Talon. So if you'd please, queue me up for FFL:III.
I'll be eagerly awaiting this one, it's a fantastic game, and a great choice for LP. You ready to go as soon as the schedule opens up? I'm just hoping it won't be months before I can passively enjoy this game again.

MoltenBoron
05-06-2008, 04:56 PM
I've been idly playing Star Control II in anticipation of my Let's Play. I think I should have a decent amount of material, my only big problem will be editing the number of screenshots I use so that it'll be manageable.

At the same time: I don't want to start yet. I've still got a paper I need to write fast, plus two finals, plus graduation and family visiting, plus moving, so I really shouldn't be spending hours on Talking Time. Once that's done, though (roughly May 27th) I've got nothing going on except home bar study, so I should be able to plow through it pretty fast.

Octopus Prime
05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
I'll be eagerly awaiting this one, it's a fantastic game, and a great choice for LP. You ready to go as soon as the schedule opens up? I'm just hoping it won't be months before I can passively enjoy this game again.

I don't think there is any schedule to open, per se. I think the only requirement is that it gets done eventually.

I'll probably start my LoZ one sooner rather then later.

Rai
05-06-2008, 05:20 PM

The whole reason I went with sometime in the future is because we've got 4 running right now, two when I signed up for Fallout. I want to run mine by audience participation, and I don't especially want to flood Talking about Television Games too much. So I'm waiting for at least one or two of these to run their courses.

Or until we get moved to a different area. One can dream!

Merus
05-06-2008, 06:14 PM
I'm waiting for the same reason - I'm already kind of sick of all the Let's Play threads.

Falselogic
05-06-2008, 06:18 PM
with the number of Let's Play that are currently running, so I'm not going to start posting until those finish up. Of course, just because you aren't posting doesn't mean you can't be playing and screen capturing and writing (the game you picked will determine audience participation

SpoonyGundam
05-06-2008, 06:45 PM
Ditto on the "I'm not starting mine right now because there are already five."

I'd start capping and writing and whatnot if it was possible at all for my games, but the level of audience participation needed kind of throws a wrench in that. And also it just seems dishonest to make a Let's Play thread when you've already played through most/all of the game for the run you're talking about.

ringworm
05-06-2008, 10:23 PM
I've started playing and planning my intended project, taking screenshots/videos/etc and attempting to come up with the basic flow/structure it'll take, even though I don't plan on actually kicking it off for awhile. I could get a lot more done if it weren't for FES.

reibeatall
05-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Other than hooking my PS2 up to my computer via video capture card, is there any way to run a PS2 game on my computer screen? I looked around at some emulators, but they don't seem to work for me (read: I have no fucking clue what I'm doing).

ted2000aed
05-09-2008, 08:27 AM
Yeah, I don't wanna start mine up till a bunch of people finish theirs. I'm hoping I can get to do mine sometime early summer? Liiiike...mid june?

TheSL
05-09-2008, 08:30 AM
I'm hoping I can get to do mine sometime early summer? Liiiike...mid june?

If you don't mind playing old games instead of MGS4, Etrian Odyssey 2 and/or Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

ted2000aed
05-09-2008, 08:41 AM
If you don't mind playing old games instead of MGS4, Etrian Odyssey 2 and/or Final Fantasy Tactics A2.

...crap. Whoever said this was gonna be a slow year is a moron. However, by mid-June I should have a LOT more free time than I do right now. Ok, maybe not a lot, but still significantly more. I'll still try to shoot around that time frame, it'll give people playing all those games something different to read about.

MCBanjoMike
05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Question for Octopus Prime and TheSL: which emulator are you guys using to get your screenshots? I've never had much luck finding a good NES emu for recent Windows computers (seriously, has anyone improved on NESticle at all?).

PapillonReel
05-09-2008, 09:05 AM
You could always try RockNES. (http://rocknes.kinox.org/) I used it for a little while and it emulated most games well enough.

TheSL
05-09-2008, 09:07 AM
I'm using FCEUltra (http://fceultra.sourceforge.net/). I mostly use this one because its capable of Famicom Disk System emulation as well. I don't have a clue if it works under Vista(which I'm assuming you have with your new PC), though.

Octopus Prime
05-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I'm using Jnes, which I recall as being similar to RockNES, except it has a bit of the window sticking out of the bottom of the screen when taking shots.

It's pretty decent.

Ostrich
05-09-2008, 10:00 AM
So would it be alright if I went ahead and started my Pokemon thread? I have the first post written up, screenshots and all. I just want to get it started before my enthusiasm for it dissapears and I end up chickening out. I don't want to clutter up the forum though...what do you all say?

DANoWAR
05-09-2008, 10:05 AM
Thumbs up for NEStopia (http://nestopia.sourceforge.net/). Really good emulator, if I may say so.

Rai
05-09-2008, 10:11 AM
So would it be alright if I went ahead and started my Pokemon thread? I have the first post written up, screenshots and all. I just want to get it started before my enthusiasm for it dissapears and I end up chickening out. I don't want to clutter up the forum though...what do you all say?

To put it bluntly, no, don't. There are already too many cluttering up the forum and other forum people are starting to be turned off by the idea. It sucks having to wait, but we really should only have 2-3 running concurrently if we're going to do them here.

PapillonReel
05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
To put it bluntly, no, don't. There are already too many cluttering up the forum and other forum people are starting to be turned off by the idea. It sucks having to wait, but we really should only have 2-3 running concurrently if we're going to do them here.

Yeah, I'm gonna waver on this and say wait for a little while as well. It shouldn't be too long before things start to clear up fortunately - I'm almost done with my thread, and TheSL looks like he's reaching the end of his, so it might open up soon enough.

Ostrich
05-09-2008, 10:16 AM

Yep, you're right. I shouldn't be cluttering up the forum this much so I'll wait until a few are done. I've saved my write-up in a notepad document for future use, so I can wait. We'll see how things are going in a few days.

TheSL
05-09-2008, 10:20 AM
It should only take me a week, two at the very most to finish up my Dragon Warrior one.

MCBanjoMike
05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I was originally going to suggest that FyreLuigi wait until Dragon Warrior, Link to the Past and Legend of Zelda were finished before starting Pokemon, but now I think it would be better to wait until either X-Com or Mystic Quest finishes too. There are two reasons for this: Pokemon is a long game (and we already have two long LPs with X-Com and FF:MQ), and it also leaves a lot of room for forum input in the selecting and naming of Pokemans. If you don't wait for things to thin out a bit, then you won't get optimal forum participation in what should really be a very interactive thread.

Sorry guy, but I think you should wait. Is there anyone else in the "long" queue before you?

PapillonReel
05-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Mystic Quest is long? I beat it in, like, a week. :P Though MightyBlue's going to be taking his time since he's juggling school and work at the moment, so it'll take long in that sense.

In any case, Pokémon Yellow will definitely make for a fun thread on account of the amount of potential audience participation. However it would be best to wait until the audience isn't, ah, drawn so thin like it is now.

TheSL
05-09-2008, 10:40 AM
Pokemon is a long game

Meh. I think one of my playthroughs when I traded a CUT monster over was under 5 hours. No worse than Dragon Warrior, really.

MCBanjoMike
05-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Meh. I think one of my playthroughs when I traded a CUT monster over was under 5 hours. No worse than Dragon Warrior, really.

Seriously? Maybe it just feels long because everything is so slow. This makes it ideal LP fodder: I love the concepts in the game, but have no desire to play it myself!

Ostrich
05-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Sorry guy, but I think you should wait. Is there anyone else in the "long" queue before you?

Nah, I understand what you all mean. This is exactly why I wanted to ask first instead of just going ahead and posting to the grumbles of many, many people.

Pokemon can be a slow and tedious game, especially the first versions since there is no "Run" button. There is the bicycle, but I think you're required to open up the menu every time you want to bust it out. Other than that, if you want to fight every trainer and catch every Pokemon you see then it IS going to be a lengthy adventure.

TheSL
05-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Pokemon can be a slow and tedious game, especially the first versions since there is no "Run" button. There is the bicycle, but I think you're required to open up the menu every time you want to bust it out. Other than that, if you want to fight every trainer and catch every Pokemon you see then it IS going to be a lengthy adventure.

That's just it, though- you don't have to to win. If you can catch Zapdos the Elite Four turns into a total joke as well.

Lucas
05-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Nah, I understand what you all mean. This is exactly why I wanted to ask first instead of just going ahead and posting to the grumbles of many, many people.

I almost always had my bike mapped to the select button so I could pull it out instantly. Sometimes I replaced it with a rod if I wanted to fish a lot for some reason.

Ostrich
05-09-2008, 02:32 PM
I almost always had my bike mapped to the select button so I could pull it out instantly. Sometimes I replaced it with a rod if I wanted to fish a lot for some reason.

Wasn't that only in the Gold and Silver versions, though? I remember in the originals that you could only bring it out via the menus. Though you were allowed to rearrange items so you wouldn't have to scroll through about thirty other things just to find your bike.

PapillonReel
05-09-2008, 02:35 PM
It was. The red, blue and yellow versions required you to sift through menus to grab it. They were also disorganized, as opposed to the auto-sorting later on.

Ah, the memories.

Octopus Prime
05-09-2008, 04:45 PM
As said, The DW one should be done in about a week or 2, at the rate Paps is going, LttP should be finished just as quickly, if not faster, and once I get to that point, the Dungeons in LoZ are going to be dropping pretty damn quickly (plus I'm not really going to the Second Quest in my Fun Club, maybe in the future).

Wait, like, 2 weeks and there will be a more then wide enough gap to allow for some Pokeymans.

Tanto
05-09-2008, 05:05 PM
It was. The red, blue and yellow versions required you to sift through menus to grab it. They were also disorganized, as opposed to the auto-sorting later on.

Ah, the memories.

I believe you can move stuff up the list with select, so that the Bike is always at the top.

PapillonReel
05-09-2008, 05:08 PM
True, you can.

Sanagi
05-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Seemingly non-relevant complaint: Why have PSX emulators for the Mac only devolved since Virtual Game Station was released nine years ago?

Netbrian
05-09-2008, 06:28 PM
I have every intention of doing mine when it's my turn or so. It will be much more enjoyable, even if I have to wait. This way, we can hope people won't be so inundated with LPs that it won't stand out as much.

nunix
05-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Sangai: Dunno. pSX is the only thing worth using on windows OR linux (perfect software emulation, no plugins needed). If you're running a newer Mac maybe you can do one o' them thar virtual machine-bootcamp-strap-thingies the OSX folk are so keen to brag about. ;D

PapillonReel
05-09-2008, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure a good PSX emulator even exists for Mac. :s Every time I tried looking for one led to only madness and despair.

Crested Penguin
05-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Seemingly non-relevant complaint: Why have PSX emulators for the Mac only devolved since Virtual Game Station was released nine years ago?

This is totally relevant. I'm thinking about doing a Vagrant Story LP in the future, but I can't run the game on my computer. It's funny, because the first time I played that game was on Virtual Game Station.

Sanagi
05-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Anyways, the reason I brought it up is because it occurred to me that Chrono Cross would be a more interesting game to document. It'd be fun to write from the perspective of Serge, the mute hero, and reinterpret some of the plot from his point of view. Nobody's picked that yet, right? I didn't see it on the list on page one. It looks like I've got the game running well enough on PCSX to give it a go.

I actually tried booting up OS 9 and installing VGS, but my old system folder seems to be mortally choked with cobwebs.

nunix
05-09-2008, 07:11 PM
CC is allowed if you grind out extra battles for between-star stat bonuses. Also you can't take Guile's path into Viper Manor. Also also, long sections on both Mojo and Sheff are required.

There may be other demands placed on you at a later date.

Be prepared.

Octopus Prime
05-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm afraid I'd have to recommend a Lucky Dan and Turnip team, if you're doing that.

Actually, if you can abandon Serge too, then that little alien guy whose name I forget.

nunix
05-09-2008, 07:17 PM
Starky! Man, he was awesome. My first Terra Tower attack team was Serge, Kid, and Starky. He the man.

I'm trying to remember his speech pattern. Elongated vowels (o and a, maybe) or something, I think.

PapillonReel
05-09-2008, 07:19 PM
You better take Pierre with you, or else.

Zef
05-09-2008, 08:48 PM
You must also play New Game + twice, so you can develop all Angel, Devil, and Archetype Pip. And get Razzly's Level-7 Tech!*

*AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

nunix
05-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Pip.

Guh.

Knew a guy once who never finished CC because he was trying to do Pip evolutions. He knew about the bugs, but was meticulously working on it anyway. Don't think he ever got to the end.

It would bother me more, except.. I never use Pip, so whatever.

Falselogic
05-09-2008, 08:56 PM
I know I beat CC, I remember (i think) the ending with him on the beach, I know I beat anyway because I didn't have a life at the time and I had a strategy guide, but I don't remember any of the things you guys are talking about which means one of several things:

1) My memory is shit;
2) You guys played this game recently;
3) you've played this game too much; or,
4) I was grown in a vat and my implanted memories are hollow

I'm hoping it's 2 or 3...

PapillonReel
05-09-2008, 09:18 PM
I once got Pip up to the Archetype form, but couldn't use his last ability because he only had spell charges for levels 1-5. Pissed me off to no end.

Lucas
05-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Wasn't that only in the Gold and Silver versions, though? I remember in the originals that you could only bring it out via the menus. Though you were allowed to rearrange items so you wouldn't have to scroll through about thirty other things just to find your bike.

I... wha? I distinctly remember doing this in Red - I didn't have any other versions of the game until Coliseum. I would totally dig out Red and prove it one way or the other, but I've been looking for twenty minutes and can't find my Game Boy games anywhere.

Knight
05-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I'd like to propose doing Boktai. When I first played the game I was nocturnal because I worked the night shift at my job. It was already dark when I woke up and so I made my way through most of the game by sneaking around everywhere, being a total scrooge with what little sunlight I had to spare. I would purify the vampires in the cloudy mornings when I got off work, before I went to bed. I don't think I ever got higher than 2 or 3 bars of sunlight., it made the game kinda intense sometimes.

I have a hacked rom with controllable sunlight though, but I don't think I'll go through it guns blazing. Sneaking was a lot of fun, and I'll probably try to use my best judgment on what the sunlight is like that day to keep it fair, but sunny Texas summer days are gonna be a lot better than overcast California fall mornings.

nunix
05-10-2008, 07:07 AM
Well, the game's set up to reward sneaking, so hopefully you'd stick to that. ;p

Love Boktai. There's this awesome versimilitude you get with playing it. There are actual vampire-hunting seasons, depending on where you live. How cool is that?

Played the heck out of that game.. didn't like 2 or Lunar Knights, though 2 had the clever inventory system (if you have a bar of chocolate right above an apple in your inventory list, and the chocolate melts, you get.. chocolate-covered apple).

Ample Vigour
05-10-2008, 02:39 PM
There are actual vampire-hunting seasons, depending on where you live. How cool is that?

I first bought Boktai in the dead of winter. I got tired of being able to play it for fifteen whole minutes at a go, so back to GameStop it went. If I'm ever in the Arctic for 24 hours of sunlight, bet your ass I'm bringing Boktai along for revenge.

(if you have a bar of chocolate right above an apple in your inventory list, and the chocolate melts, you get.. chocolate-covered apple).

I don't care who you are, that's badass.

Falselogic
05-10-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm guessing more cause some people complained, rather than us asking for one... I don't understand the complaints we had the best threads on the whole forum anyway...

go Let's Play

Sanagi
05-10-2008, 04:58 PM
You must also play New Game + twice, so you can develop all Angel, Devil, and Archetype Pip. And get Razzly's Level-7 Tech!*

*AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I never, ever, got Razzly's level 7 tech. I somehow screwed it up and that stopped me from having a perfect file.

Anyways, the game runs slightly slow in emulation so I'm not going to dawdle much.

Crested Penguin
05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Okay, I'm going to "propose" a Vagrant Story run with limited weapons. Either three weapons to show how to play the game "right" or one weapon to show how many tools are available in the game besides weapon-swapping. One-weapon runs are kind of more fun in a way, but I also just did one. Obviously I'll let the hive-mind pick the weapon classes I use.

It'll be a while before I have time - probably July at the earliest, but I'd be sad if someone called it before me.

nunix
05-10-2008, 05:12 PM
CP: Barehanded.

Ho ho ho!

(I've done that on a 3rd or 4th playthrough, but never a first, probably you'd have to rely totally on break arts and magic).

Adrenaline
05-10-2008, 05:22 PM
I had no idea what these threads were until this sub-forum was created and I actually tried reading a few. I'm interesting in trying one, but I'll wait and see if the concept even carries through the current backlog.

Crested Penguin
05-10-2008, 05:30 PM
CP: Barehanded.

Ho ho ho!

(I've done that on a 3rd or 4th playthrough, but never a first, probably you'd have to rely totally on break arts and magic).

That and staff are the only two that sound no fun on a fresh save (which I plan on using). It takes too long to get the grimoires you need to be a proper wizard.

One cool thing about a one-weapon run is that you can get the high-level break arts without grinding for them.

PapillonReel
05-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Use the one-handed sword until you get the final break-art. Yes, THAT break-art. You know the one.

nunix
05-10-2008, 05:57 PM
Staves are such a freaking pain in the ass to upgrade. Their droprate is really low, and what does drop are usually the 1st and 2nd tier staves.. which you can't actually combine to upgrade and jump up the ranks. The lich-group (can't remember if they're Deaths or something else) in Iron Maiden B3 are I think the only place you can find the higher ranked staves.

Anyway, I think I mentioned last time VS came up in a major thread.. one weapon is fine, you can just swap gems as you move through areas (above ground? human gems. undercity? undead gems.) or when you hit a boss. In fact, my verra' first playthrough went that way, had no problems that weren't a result of low weaon durability or PP.

Loki
05-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Okay, I'm going to "propose" a Vagrant Story run with limited weapons. Either three weapons to show how to play the game "right" or one weapon to show how many tools are available in the game besides weapon-swapping. One-weapon runs are kind of more fun in a way, but I also just did one. Obviously I'll let the hive-mind pick the weapon classes I use.

It'll be a while before I have time - probably July at the earliest, but I'd be sad if someone called it before me.

I've only ever played a three weapon game. I'd love to see a let's play any other way. Vagrent Story always struck me as inflexable. I'd love to see my mind blown.

Crested Penguin
05-10-2008, 06:56 PM
I've only ever played a three weapon game. I'd love to see a let's play any other way. Vagrent Story always struck me as inflexable. I'd love to see my mind blown.

If anything, the game provides too many tools, and does a bad job of pointing out which are the most valuable ones.

djSyndrome
05-11-2008, 07:37 AM
I'm down for a runthrough of Wonder Boy III. No, not the crappy arcade one - Dragon's Trap / Dragon's Curse.

juanfrugalj
05-11-2008, 04:04 PM
This sounds awesome. If Mega Man X or X2 are still available, I'll take either (or both, if you let me!).

nunix
05-11-2008, 05:53 PM
No one's in charge of it, I don't think anyone has to "let" you pick a game. ;p At this point people should be policing it themselves. Ask:

1) How many people are going to care about my game? (posting to ask beforehand is a good idea)

2) How much audience participation is there? (can TTers chime in with input on what bosses I fight and what routes I take, or are they just going to be reminiscing?)

2a) If there's very little, then how can I play through the game in a new/odd/difficult way? (low-level/gear runs or sequence breaking are the most common)

2b) Am I SURE people are going to talk about it, or do I just want to show off mah maddening techniques? (in which case: sign up for a free wordpress blog or something and do it there, or record your run and put it on youtube)

3) Do I have the time and the energy to commit to frequent updates, and will I finish the thing or just wimp out? (hint: it's a lot more work than you think)

The only completed LP so far is the original (for TT) for Final Fantasy 1 (NES) done by Brickroad; he delved into the nitty-gritty of the game mechanics, showed off some sequence-breaking, and there's a tonne of nostalgia tied up in the game so interest in it was pretty high.

Just some stuff worth considering.

Pajaro Pete
05-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Testing the waters here:
Let's Sorta Translate: Persona 1's Snow Queen Quest
Audience participation would be minimal, as there's very little room for mistakes in this path. I'll leave the name of the main character up to y'all, as well as which party members we want to take.

The translation parts will be loose paraphrasing, not word for word.

Potential problems: This will require a lot of preparation before taking on the first real dungeon, but after those preparations (and after I finish that dungeon), I'll be able to tear through pretty much everything else in the game.

OR

Let's Sorta Translate: Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
Audience participation would again be minimal, again, but more than in the Persona 1 LST. You'd get to name a couple of characters, decide which spell path the heroine would get, and maybe which software chips we install in the hero's computer.

Translations would also be even looser, because there's a lot more talk in this game.

Potential problems: How much would people really want to talk about this?

So is there any interest in this or...?

Brickroad
05-11-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey guys, apparently the cats over at the Let's Play Archive (http://letsplayarchive.com/) don't discriminate against non-SA LPs, so I'm going to email the guy and see about getting my FF1 awesomeness archived over there.

It's worth noting that I'm doing this purely for my own personal ego, and not as insurance against Parish vaporizing the forums or anything like that. I'll let ya'll know if it actually goes up.

Ostrich
05-11-2008, 10:04 PM
Hey guys, apparently the cats over at the Let's Play Archive (http://letsplayarchive.com/) don't discriminate against non-SA LPs, so I'm going to email the guy and see about getting my FF1 awesomeness archived over there.

It's worth noting that I'm doing this purely for my own personal ego, and not as insurance against Parish vaporizing the forums or anything like that. I'll let ya'll know if it actually goes up.

I say go for it. You're thread was really interesting and funny. Much better than most of the stuff over at that archive of theirs. (Though nothing can top the Monster Rancher 2 Let's Play, it was just so damn hilarious)

But if you want a better chance of getting it on there, you should put it in a format that'll make it easier for him to put it in the archive. It'll be up much faster that way.

Also, now that we have an entire section devoted to Let's Plays, maybe we can have more threads going on at once? I'm not saying this because I want to get my own started because I can't for a little while, but I think a lot of people are anxious to do theirs. Just a suggestion, feel free to slap me in the face for saying this.

PapillonReel
05-11-2008, 10:08 PM
You know, that's a good point. Now that we have our own section, we don't have to worry about pushing each other off the front page do we?

Personally? I'd say wait a little while longer, since TheSL, Octoprime and I are almost done anyway, but maybe we can ease into a larger number as time goes on, once everyone's settled into reading the threads.

Adrenaline
05-11-2008, 10:13 PM
It might be better to stick with a lower number, the SA forums can support many at once because their user base is much larger.

Ostrich
05-11-2008, 10:43 PM
It might be better to stick with a lower number, the SA forums can support many at once because their user base is much larger.

I still think we can at least support a few more though, but as Papillon Reel said we should wait a while before we try.

But I agree, if we have too many at once someone is going to get ignored. We don't want someone posting updates with no responses or discussion in between. That would be like a troubadour playing a song on the side of a road in the middle of a ghost town.

PapillonReel
05-11-2008, 10:45 PM
A better analogy would be a town filled with nothing but Troubadours playing, but yeah. Better to wait and see how things go first.

Eetzamii
05-12-2008, 08:52 AM
I'd like to do MYST and Riven playthroughs, since no one's called them yet. I'll wait until some of the current ones are finished, though, so it's not too crowded.

reibeatall
05-12-2008, 08:53 AM
I'd like to do MYST and Riven playthroughs, since no one's called them yet. I'll wait until some of the current ones are finished, though, so it's not too crowded.

If you're doing it with minimal audience participation, go ahead and do it now, get your screen grabs, write your text, and then release it when it's open.

Brickroad
05-12-2008, 09:01 AM
rei, you should do "reibeatall presents: a Morbid Coffee production: Halo 3: Mega Man 2".

I'm pretty sure you are the only person alive who has beaten it, which makes you overqualified by definition. You can't not do it.

reibeatall
05-12-2008, 09:13 AM
That's...

a really great idea.

Brickroad
05-12-2008, 09:24 AM
Oh, and for the record, Myst and Riven were on my gigantic unweildly list of games I might do for a future project, so I'm glad to have my options narrowed down a bit. Written correctly I think adventure games would make good picks.

I'd suggest RealMyst instead of the original, since that's a version not a lot of people have played and therefore is a flashier way to show off. It's also got that extra puzzle at the end.

Balrog
05-12-2008, 09:44 AM
That's...

a really great idea.

You should do this. I mean it.

reibeatall
05-12-2008, 10:58 AM
Fine fine, I'm doing it guys.

Also,
WANTED: Somebody good with image editing. Must be able to edit images. PM me if you're interested in helping a good cause.

Gredlen
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM
I beat Mega Man 2 as well, guys. =(

spineshark
05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
et's Sorta Translate: Devil Summoner Soul Hackers
Audience participation would again be minimal, again, but more than in the Persona 1 LST. You'd get to name a couple of characters, decide which spell path the heroine would get, and maybe which software chips we install in the hero's computer.

Translations would also be even looser, because there's a lot more talk in this game.

Potential problems: How much would people really want to talk about this?

So is there any interest in this or...?
I for one, would love to see Soul Hackers. I think I'll buy it at some point, actually, but given my Japanese skills I would love to see someone else have at it.

The Persona thing sounds plenty cool too. I'd be interested in it, but I'd have to say even more so for Soul Hackers.

Eetzamii
05-12-2008, 12:20 PM
I'd suggest RealMyst instead of the original, since that's a version not a lot of people have played and therefore is a flashier way to show off. It's also got that extra puzzle at the end.

I considered this, but realMyst doesn't work very reliably on my computer, unfortunately. And personally, I think the original game looks better in still shots. I could still do the extra section when I'm finished, as well as point out the few changes between realMyst and the original.

At any rate, I've got an initial batch of shots and I've started on the text, so hopefully it won't be too long before I've got the first segment ready to post.

dosboot
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
I'd like to reserve the next slot opening up after this week (after the 20th or so). The run is recorded, so all I have to do is grab screenshots. Shadowrun isn't too long either, so this will go by pretty quick. What do we think is the best update schedule, twice/day?

Brickroad
05-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I considered this, but realMyst doesn't work very reliably on my computer, unfortunately. And personally, I think the original game looks better in still shots. I could still do the extra section when I'm finished, as well as point out the few changes between realMyst and the original.

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to it.

I'd like to reserve the next slot opening up after this week (after the 20th or so). The run is recorded, so all I have to do is grab screenshots. Shadowrun isn't too long either, so this will go by pretty quick. What do we think is the best update schedule, twice/day?

2/day worked well for me; enough time for people to discuss things and ask questions, but not so much that they were all crying for updates.

Octopus Prime
05-12-2008, 01:08 PM
I opted for once a day, it was pretty easy to maintain.

PapillonReel
05-12-2008, 01:11 PM
I did 3/day a while, but then I almost burnt myself out because of it. 1 or 2/day is a good schedule.

Ostrich
05-12-2008, 02:16 PM

I claim the slot after you, I suppose. I have the first update ready to go, screenshots and all. I just need audience input before I can go any farther (with names of the characters)

I don't think you should stick too strictly to a schedule though. If you just do it casually and update whenever you can, I think it'd be more fun for you instead of forcing yourself to update even when you can't/don't want to.

Octopus Prime
05-12-2008, 02:19 PM
I think I may as well lay claim to The Second Quest of LoZ, as I'm going to be making that one a different Thread, when I get to it.

Tentatively, Dragon Warrior 3, as well, but if anyone wants to beat me to the punch there, go right ahead.

Brickroad
05-12-2008, 02:21 PM
I don't think you should stick too strictly to a schedule though. If you just do it casually and update whenever you can, I think it'd be more fun for you instead of forcing yourself to update even when you can't/don't want to.

This is why you play ahead of your udpates (once you have the audience input you need of course). That way if Real Life creeps in and you can't play for a day or so, you still have something to feed the Insatiable Masses (us).

You can cheese this a bit for most games: Play to your first stopping point, but split the segment into two updates by using one to explain game mechanics to people who haven't played before. This trick won't work for Myst (it doesn't take long to explain point'n'click really) but would be great for walking Pokemon virgins through how the game works.

Pajaro Pete
05-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I for one, would love to see Soul Hackers. I think I'll buy it at some point, actually, but given my Japanese skills I would love to see someone else have at it.

The Persona thing sounds plenty cool too. I'd be interested in it, but I'd have to say even more so for Soul Hackers.

Yeah, see, I think the Persona one would stimulate more discussion, but really, Soul Hackers has so much more polish to it and is more fun to play.

Oh what the hell. Sign me up for (Shin Megami Tensei) Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, coming in June-ish. I may have to start the thread a little bit earlier to get you guys to pick a name for our intrepid hero, as well as to decide which magic path we're sending the heroine on.

Tentatively, Dragon Warrior 3, as well, but if anyone wants to beat me to the punch there, go right ahead.

Your party will consist of a Joker, a Merchant and a Thief (depending on version you're playing, substitute Martial Artist for Thief).

Crested Penguin
05-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I think I may as well lay claim to The Second Quest of LoZ, as I'm going to be making that one a different Thread, when I get to it.

I would love to see DW3. First console RPG I ever played, plus tons of stupid party options.

Octopus Prime
05-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Your party will consist of a Joker, a Merchant and a Thief (depending on version you're playing, substitute Martial Artist for Thief).

You just hate me, don't you?

Pajaro Pete
05-12-2008, 03:04 PM
It's Dragon Warrior 3, you can swap your party out. The Merchant will help you get some spare cash while it's tight in the beginning of the game. It'll be great, I promise.

Sven
05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
Play to your first stopping point, but split the segment into two updates by using one to explain game mechanics to people who haven't played before. This trick won't work for Myst (it doesn't take long to explain point'n'click really) but would be great for walking Pokemon virgins through how the game works.

Yeah. The only issue would be for something absurdly complex like, say, X-Com, where I'm quite sure everyone playing the game for the first time is figuring it out far faster than I'm able to type out the entries (I just wrote three pages on how to get through a door, for crying out loud).

Octopus Prime
05-12-2008, 03:05 PM
It's Dragon Warrior 3, you can swap your party out. The Merchant will help you get some spare cash while it's tight in the beginning of the game. It'll be great, I promise.

Yeah, but the Joker is useless until you reach the point where you can reach Level 20 quickly and can upgrade them to Sages. Until then... they're pretty crummy.

Pajaro Pete
05-12-2008, 03:08 PM
They'll give your adventuring party a whimsical atmosphere.

Octopus Prime
05-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Can't argue with that

Brickroad
05-12-2008, 03:19 PM
In other news, it looks as though the LP Archives site is full of horrible lies, in that they don't take non-SA LPs despite their FAQ clearly stating otherwise. Also that sentence has lots of abbreviations in it!

Falselogic
05-12-2008, 03:25 PM
In other news, it looks as though the LP Archives site is full of horrible lies, in that they don't take non-SA LPs despite their FAQ clearly stating otherwise. Also that sentence has lots of abbreviations in it!

lame and unfair, but don't worry Brickroad, your LP will always have a home here and a special place in our hearts as TT's first LP!

Alixsar
05-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Who needs SA anyway? Those guys are jerks.

dosboot
05-12-2008, 04:28 PM
Plus, I heard them say you guys all look like dorks.

What!? They look like dorks!

MCBanjoMike
05-12-2008, 05:03 PM

I am 100% serious when I say that you and your Let's Play are too good for them. If they don't want to face up to that, then balls to SA!

Brickroad
05-12-2008, 05:16 PM
I am 100% serious when I say that you and your Let's Play are too good for them. If they don't want to face up to that, then balls to SA!

I don't know about all that. The guy invited me to put it up on the SA forums and then he'd post it. I just don't want to do that.

It's their clubhouse and that's cool. I made Parish's front page after all, and nobody can take that from me!

Ample Vigour
05-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Different sandboxes, different rules. That's still lame, though.

Yeah. The only issue would be for something absurdly complex like, say, X-Com, where I'm quite sure everyone playing the game for the first time is figuring it out far faster than I'm able to type out the entries (I just wrote three pages on how to get through a door, for crying out loud).

I'm pretty sure six LPs for X-Com would go six wildly different, equally challenging directions. If nothing else, you can count on your thread spreading the love of X-Com, and that's what really counts.

PS love the thread thx

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 10:17 AM

But it's a great three pages, looking forward to your next posting!

Red Hedgehog
05-13-2008, 11:35 AM
So I've been waiting until we're down to 2 or 3 ongoing LPs before starting Bard's Tale. I'll need a lot of participation in the beginning of the game so there isn't much I can do to pre-load it... though once I reach the mid-game, it will be relatively smooth sailing.

djSyndrome
05-13-2008, 11:38 AM
So I've been waiting until we're down to 2 or 3 ongoing LPs before starting Bard's Tale. I'll need a lot of participation in the beginning of the game so there isn't much I can do to pre-load it... though once I reach the mid-game, it will be relatively smooth sailing.

I will be there. With bells on.

(you're doing BT1, right? please say yes.)

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 11:41 AM

To see this go up, as I could never even get out of the first city in BT. I often ask myself why I own it and it's two sequels...

Brickroad
05-13-2008, 11:43 AM

I have season tickets to your Bard's Tale thread. I just know after one update I'm going to have to break down and find a copy of the game.

Probably the NES version, 'cause that's how I roll.

Octopus Prime
05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I never played any of the Bards Tale games (except for the XBox one, briefly), so I'm looking forward to it.

I tried to play the NES version, but Etrian Odyssey kind of spoiled me for first-person dungeon crawlers. Same problem with Dungeon Magic and Might and Magic.

I hope it didn't wreck Arcana for me, though. I loved that so bad when I first played it.

Red Hedgehog
05-13-2008, 02:54 PM
(you're doing BT1, right? please say yes.)

Yes. I have never played any of the sequels.

I have season tickets to your Bard's Tale thread. I just know after one update I'm going to have to break down and find a copy of the game.

Probably the NES version, 'cause that's how I roll.

I never played any of the Bards Tale games (except for the XBox one, briefly), so I'm looking forward to it.

I tried to play the NES version, but Etrian Odyssey kind of spoiled me for first-person dungeon crawlers. Same problem with Dungeon Magic and Might and Magic.

The Xbox one is not at all like the games that share its name. And the NES version of Bard's Tale is gimped. It has a good chunk of the game cut out (and I think is easier). The NES version of Might and Magic, on the other hand, is one of the best versions of it out there (the Mac version of M&M is also great).

djSyndrome
05-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Yes. I have never played any of the sequels.

I'm in the opposite boat: I've gone through II and III but never had the chance to really play much of I.

Also, Apple //c for life.

nunix
05-13-2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.geocities.com/thebardstale/thebardstale-story.html

Good images of BT1 and its versions.

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 04:29 PM
... and maybe it's just me but with our own little forum we could let a few more LPs or MC show up now, if people have content ready? I know I'm getting bored at work... Anyone else think so?

Gredlen
05-13-2008, 04:35 PM
Yeah, Zelda's through and Link to the Past is wrapping up, so I don't think it'd hurt if dosboot and FyreLuigi started their LPs sometime soon.

Sanagi
05-13-2008, 04:38 PM
... and maybe it's just me but with our own little forum we could let a few more LPs or MC show up now, if people have content ready? I know I'm getting bored at work... Anyone else think so?
I've been mulling over the thought that if I don't cut in line, it'll be months before I get an answer to the question, "Should Kid live or die?"

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 04:43 PM
I've been mulling over the thought that if I don't cut in line, it'll be months before I get an answer to the question, "Should Kid live or die?"

... Well I don't

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 04:46 PM
How should this be regulated? Or should it be? How many people already have stuff? How many people are ready? Should we vote? Should people who are already have stuff done just begin posting? Do we need/want a hierarchy
for this or do we revel in our anarchic self-rule?

not nominating myself for this, just asking out loud questions I have about upcoming LPs and such

Zef
05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
In anticipation for the Okami LP (which will be a few months down the road, from the looks of it,) I started up a fresh save last night.

Good GOD do people talk a lot in the first couple of hours. I'll have to resort to the Thumbnail Theater-style dialog display, and lots of summaries, unless I want to end up with ten thousand screencaps before I even get to the Orochi.

Also... I thought of doing the whole thing in haiku, but I quickly dismissed that. :( It would be extremely limiting for explaining gameplay mechanics.

nunix
05-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Anarchic self-rule. It's ridiculous for anyone aside from Parish to try and "regulate" anything here. Post some guidelines in the very first post here, so that it acts as both record-keeper and introduction.

I listed some things I think people should ask themselves before starting. Adding something like, "Check to see if there are already half a dozen being updated every day. If there's too much stuff going on, maybe nobody will read yours, and your ego will be sad."

Octopus Prime
05-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Doesn't choosing to let her die mean you get Glenn? And saving her gets you that speedo kid?

Yeah... I think the choice is obvious.

nunix
05-13-2008, 05:05 PM
WhatCHA mean, speedo kid?!

(le Chickenhawk would also have been acceptable)

Zef
05-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Yeah... I think the choice is obvious.

WhatCHA mean? Ain'tCHA gonna play the game twice anyway to getCHA all the characters in one perfect file?

Edit: Dammit, beaten to the puncha.

nunix
05-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I just want the CC thread to start, so we can go nuts with the accents.

juanfrugalj
05-13-2008, 05:50 PM
INDEED. THAT WOULD BE MOST ENTERTAINING.

Octopus Prime
05-13-2008, 05:56 PM
I might want to recommend that if you're using Photobucket, you might not want to move the pictureth* from one folder to another after you've uploaded them.

It ith**... problematic.

*pictures
**is

Brickroad
05-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Guidelines:

Be courteous and have some common sense. If there are a bunch of LP threads maybe hold off. If a couple just finished up you're cool to go ahead. Don't bitch and whine if your thread doesn't take off like so-and-so's, especially if there are already a bunch of threads and you couldn't wait. If you know someone is already waiting for an opening, maybe let them go first.

Come on guys, this isn't rocket science. Be cool with it and it'll be cool right back.

Red Hedgehog
05-13-2008, 08:29 PM
I think it would be nice if there was something of a queue, even if informal. If you're ready to start yours, make a post, and then you can have an idea of how many people are ahead of you.

Also, I found out that work will be hell for me for the forseeable future, so I may not be able to start Bard's Tale soon. :(

Gredlen
05-13-2008, 08:38 PM
I think it would be nice if there was something of a queue, even if informal. If you're ready to start yours, make a post, and then you can have an idea of how many people are ahead of you.

Indeed, I think it might be nice to see when people are willing or able to do their LPs, just so we can get a general idea of when people should go. I'm definitely not going to be doing mine for at least two months, maybe more.

Also, I totally agree with what Brick said.

Alixsar
05-14-2008, 12:48 AM
I'm hoping to start mine sometime after next Monday (my last day of class). And I'd definitely like to do it over summer since I won't really have time to do it after that. But that's about it. I don't really care if someone else wants to go first.

Torgo
05-14-2008, 01:47 AM
I wouldn't necessarily mind launching mine sooner then later. Having just wrapped up FFIV again recently, I was planning on playing through V again before hitting up VI. However, I'm only a quarter of the way through and already feeling burnout on it, so I may just move onto FFVI.

SpoonyGundam
05-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I'm prepared to start with Legend of Mana at any point, really. I've taken some preliminary screenshots, but I can't do much more before actually starting the thread.

Falselogic
05-14-2008, 03:31 PM
I'm prepared to start with Legend of Mana at any point, really. I've taken some preliminary screenshots, but I can't do much more before actually starting the thread.

I'd say go for it, things are slow enough and LoZ just finished. Maybe just ask if anyone else has their stuff together already too?

nunix
05-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Since the only other games I know really well have been spoken for (and I think I'd enjoy participating in those threads more than "running" them)..

Is there any interest in some kind of Quest for Glory run? Maybe just QFG 2, or it could be the whole series (at least through 4, dunno if I can get 5 working on ubuntu well enough to play). They aren't long games, and I know 'em like the back of me hands. Someone already mentioned Space Quest, and there's been quite a few threads so far that are really just kinda documentation/walkthrough, but..

I'm a little hesitant to just proclaim it, since they're just straight puzzle games, you know? QFG does have some alternate paths/characters but nothing to write home about.

Dunno. Taking my own advice and gauging interest.

EDIT: stoked for Legend of Mana, jump in if you see an opening. Half the names on the list are "starting.. sometime" so it's not a real queue of any kind.

shivam
05-14-2008, 03:37 PM
i love QFG so much. SO MUCH.

Falselogic
05-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Since the only other games I know really well have been spoken for (and I think I'd enjoy participating in those threads more than "running" them)..

Is there any interest in some kind of Quest for Glory run? Maybe just QFG 2, or it could be the whole series (at least through 4, dunno if I can get 5 working on ubuntu well enough to play). They aren't long games, and I know 'em like the back of me hands. Someone already mentioned Space Quest, and there's been quite a few threads so far that are really just kinda documentation/walkthrough, but..

I'm a little hesitant to just proclaim it, since they're just straight puzzle games, you know? QFG does have some alternate paths/characters but nothing to write home about.

Dunno. Taking my own advice and gauging interest.

EDIT: stoked for Legend of Mana, jump in if you see an opening. Half the names on the list are "starting.. sometime" so it's not a real queue of any kind.

I'd like to see how others played through these games, I always did mage so seeing a thief run or fighter. I loved QFG2 and 4 (voice-acting) especially. I'd love to follow this, oh are you stoked for the re-make being done by AGD?

nunix
05-14-2008, 03:46 PM
I hate AGD/Tierra/whatever they are calling themselves now with some kind of burning fanboy passion. They renamed "Romancing the Throne" to "Romancing the Stones". Why?

Paraphrase-quote: "Because the title is based off the movie of the same name, so we corrected it."

HEY. FUCKWITS. IT'S SIERRA. IT IS A COMPANY BUILT ON ADVENTURE-PUZZLE GAMES FILLED WITH PUNS. "THRONE" WAS INTENTIONAL. PLEASE DIE OF CANCER OF THE AIDS OF THE GENITALS.

The sheer stupidity infuriates me beyond all reasoning to this day.

Also QFG2 is very near and dear to my heart and they don't need to be mucking with it because they haven't the ability to make their own dang game. -.-

*seethe*

Falselogic
05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
I hate AGD/Tierra/whatever they are calling themselves now with some kind of burning fanboy passion. They renamed "Romancing the Throne" to "Romancing the Stones". Why?

Paraphrase-quote: "Because the title is based off the movie of the same name, so we corrected it."

HEY. FUCKWITS. IT'S SIERRA. IT IS A COMPANY BUILT ON ADVENTURE-PUZZLE GAMES FILLED WITH PUNS. "THRONE" WAS INTENTIONAL. PLEASE DIE OF CANCER OF THE AIDS OF THE GENITALS.

Also QFG2 is very near and dear to my heart and they don't need to be mucking with it because they haven't the ability to make their own dang game. -.-

*seethe*

Actually they did make their own game it's called Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman Mine. I played their version of KQ2 which I thought was an improvement over Roberta's original which lacked any sort of cohesive narrative, I don't know if the game was based on the movie or not, considering how seriously KQ took itself I doubt it was a pun and more of a copyright thing. Puns and humor came with Space Quest and Quest for Glory, who were headed by not Roberta Williams.

But that's a discussion for another thread

Pajaro Pete
05-14-2008, 03:55 PM

Do we get to chose your Pets and/or Golems?

nunix
05-14-2008, 04:02 PM
false: Oh, I'm not a KQ fan by any stretch (5 was good, but my first Sierra was Space Quest), but all the KQ subtitles were puns. Romancing the Stone came out in 84, KQ2 came out in 85; KQ2's about Graham looking for a queen, so they played off that. But the pun was VERY intentional, and related to the game topic.

Romancing the Throne, to Heir is Human.. I don't know if 4 is based on anything, 5 is Absence Makes the Heart Go Yonder.. this is intentional stuff, and messing with it just smacks of hubris and ignorance. If they were able to copy whole sections of the game, changing the game subtitle is not an issue of copyright. =p

Anyway. To be fair, they made that years ago, maybe the original people aren't there or they stopped being retarded, who knows.

...so to answer your question, I am not so caring about their remake (which, as was said, has been going on for a few years now) and am happy with my original floppy disks. ;D

Red Hedgehog
05-14-2008, 04:11 PM
false: Oh, I'm not a KQ fan by any stretch (5 was good, but my first Sierra was Space Quest), but all the KQ subtitles were puns.

No it wasn't. Sierra really should have known better by that point.

SpoonyGundam
05-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Do we get to chose your Pets and/or Golems?

I'd like to make that a part of it, yeah. But there are some complications with both. Golems cost a lot of money and take a lot of time to make and are generally more complicated than I'd be able to cover in a Let's Play thread. I guess I can ask which pieces of equipment to slam together for its attacks, without actually covering any details about why things happen the way they happen. And pets will be unavailable until I lay down a place that has that pet type. Even then, the land placement could make it so some pets are impossible/improbable to get.

It's not really an issue if everyone agrees that I should just have a Rabite or a Golem that just hangs out and throws rocket punches, though. That probably won't be far from what happens, really. I'm probably just overthinking this.

tl;dr: Yes, the audience can choose pets and Golems.

Falselogic
05-14-2008, 04:17 PM
No it wasn't. Sierra really should have known better by that point.

5 was not fun it was tedious, I think 4 is my fav

nunix
05-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Spoony: I imagined it more like, "I have these pets available. What should I get?" You can have more than one, and it doesn't matter until the stable is unlocked anyway. I don't see it as a prep-question, just something to ask when you get to that point.

Golems.. I never even use, just a pet (succubus!) or solo. Golem could just be a thing you build on your own.

Falselogic
05-14-2008, 04:26 PM
I bought this when it first game out (for the PSX right?) this is the one where you build the world as you get items right? I never was able to get too far into it (I don't remember why) I'm looking forward to this, maybe I can dig out my copy from where ever it is (I think my folk's home) and try again

SpoonyGundam
05-14-2008, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I wasn't really thinking about it prep-question like. The "I can catch these pets right now. Which one should I get?" way is probably how I'll end up handling it. Though it wouldn't hurt to mention the rarer, more awesome monsters (Succubus, etc) and steer the game slightly towards getting the proper mana levels for those guys if there's any interest.

And Golems are awesome. The first time I played the game, I used a Golem that just walked around and exploded periodically.

Pajaro Pete
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
I never got the hang of Golems. But cool monsters... the Succubus, Goblin and Shadow Zero are pretty awesome. Well, they look awesome, and that's really all that matters in LoM.

Ample Vigour
05-14-2008, 06:06 PM
In LoM, I got myself a miniature T-Rex and named it Brooklyn. He and I did great things.

Another vote for you to hop in with the LoM LP, Spoony.

Red Hedgehog
05-14-2008, 06:35 PM
5 was not fun it was tedious, I think 4 is my fav

Yeah, I think both 3 and 4 are better games than 5.

PapillonReel
05-14-2008, 06:40 PM
In LoM, I got myself a miniature T-Rex and named it Brooklyn. He and I did great things.

That is the best name ever. I salute you sir!