PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play: FF Mystic Quest

Mightyblue
05-03-2008, 02:43 PM
*cough* I needed to seriously unwind today, so I decided to start it a bit early. Hope I didn't ruffle anyone's feathers. Anyway, this week's contender iiiisss:
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)000.png
*Cue fanfare*

It's only one of the most simplistic and boring RPGs ever made, and it was made just for us, U.S., that is.*

And yes, I have no shame.

Anyhoo, on to the naming of our Grand Poohbah, champion of all that is right and pixellated in the world!
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)001.png
Originality, thy name is naught Mightyblue, but the similarities of MQ's plot to The Matrix's plot themes made me giggle. So THERE.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)002.png
This is our noble hero, savour of everything, and wanton depopulator of entire monster populations being christened as the hero by the game's faux-Morpheus, an ostensibly Alzheimer's ridden old man who rides around on a cloud.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)006.png
His actual name escapes me, so we'll call him Morphy from now on. Morphy being the wise and mystical old fart he is tells our noble Neo that he is the only guy around who can save the world and slay the bad dudes trying to destroy it and all that jazz. Neo, smart lad that he is, reminds Morphy that his village just did the Chattanooga shuffle over the River Styx and that his mommy told him never to talk to strangers. In that order. Morphy reaches into his pocket for the blue and red pills, but the Behemoth falling out of the sky cuts him off.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)007.png
Next Time: The Day When Pigs Flew, or, The Blue and Red Pills of Life and Death!

Ed. Note: I know this one's short, but I don't have time to do a write up of how the game works and the initial "dungeon." I'll do that later after work, and it should be entertaining! I hope.

*Disclaimer: No puns were harmed in the making of this mockumentary, and all punnists were pun...er, rewarded for their efforts. With death and hot fudge sundaes.

mopinks
05-03-2008, 02:54 PM
score!

Mystic Quest is one game I really like, despite the fact that it really isn't very good. it's a grand mystery.

Octopus Prime
05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Mystic Quest had a story?

I don't even remember there being an excuse for going through the dungeons other then "Hey, some monsters being a jerk, go kill it".

Ample Vigour
05-03-2008, 02:55 PM
It begins!

I had a blast with this game when I was a kid and I've never really understood the terrible reputation it has. Maybe you can win some converts over to our side!

And just what the hell were those Coke can powerups for anyway? I went the entire game without ever using one.

Pombar
05-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I never could get into this game, and have always felt a tad guilty for that. It'll be good to finally see it to its completion without me having to slug through it. Also, that still has to be the best opening for an RPG I've ever seen - "This place is collapsing, you're the chosen one - Ah! A monster!"
Mystic Quest certainly doesn't beat around the bush, at the very least.

Destil
05-03-2008, 03:20 PM
score!

Mystic Quest is one game I really like, despite the fact that it really isn't very good. it's a grand mystery.I'll give you a hint why: the soundtrack. 16 bit awesome.

Brickroad
05-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Mystic Quest is love. Good choice, Mightyblue!

ReyVGM
05-03-2008, 04:20 PM
His name is Benjamin.
And the soundtrack is the only reason why I have played that game over 10 times.

Alixsar
05-03-2008, 11:21 PM
His name is Benjamin.
And the soundtrack is the only reason why I have played that game over 10 times.

The soundtrack is in-friggin-credible though. Like, damn.

Falselogic
05-03-2008, 11:46 PM
Who did the music for FFMQ? I've always loved the music but could never get past the third crystal stage I think... Man that was so long ago too...

Mightyblue
05-03-2008, 11:52 PM
On the Refresher question (aka the pop cans) they restore any stat drains you've incurred over a battle, which comes in handy since the game only gives buffs/debuffs to the monsters, and a single set of weapons to you that inflict status ailments. Since monsters are so handy with the status ailments and debuffs, you need a lot of Heal Potions (stat cures) and Refreshers. You can pick them up nearly anywhere from brown chests (more on chest types later), so it's not a big deal. For those who don't want to zip through the game it's not entirely uncommon to farm an area of brown chests with the item you want until you max out your inventory.

Or you could just beat the crap out of anything, since just normal playthroughs have the difficulty of punching through a wall of wet tissue paper.

I'd like to note at this point that Mystic Quest is the closest thing we ever got to a console style Game Boy SaGa/FF Legend game. The game design and style are very similar between the games, and the only real differences between MQ and GB SaGas are the world map, use of weapons on field, and no random encounters. That's right guys, nearly 15 years before FFXII (or less for XI if you want to include it) a Final Fantasy game had no random encounters.

Now for the mechanics bit, since I'm pretty sure only a few people have played this, or it's been a long time. Me, this is my fourth or fifth play through so I've got things mostly down pat. I'll be doing a speed run this time, and only hit the spots that I need for the treasures and magic and skip the battlefields that don't offer much of anything and brown farming.

Basically, you can jump by hitting B on the SNES pad, and you'll skip over a single tile (which can only be a walkable land tile or a water tile). Monsters and obstacles can't be jumped over, although you can deal with some obstacles depending on what weapon you've got equipped. I'll go over the different weapon effects when I get the weapons, although keep in mind that swords stab, axes chop, claws grab things, and bombs blow crap up.

To get into combat, you wander into a monster (or stand next to one and hit talk/use weapon) and the battle screen pops up. Battles run pretty similarly to the GB SaGa games, and veterans of those games should be pretty familiar with the commands. Selecting Fight will let you pick a monster to hit with your chosen weapon (which you can switch by hitting L or R), Magic will pop up the magic subscreen and lets you pick a magic and then its target. You can also do group attacks with certain magics by hitting up on enemy groups or down on ally groups. Item and Run are self explanatory, but Guard's a little different, because you can choose to either defend yourself or cover your partner. Odds are you'll only use Fight, Magic, and Item in-game though, because of the game's general ease in difficulty and the fact that with only two people, it's generally not a good idea to sit around defending with one person outta two.

As far as treasure goes, there's two types Red [Equipment, Spells, Key Items] and Brown [Expendables, Bomb/Shuriken Ammo]. Once you open a Red chest, it's done, but Browns refill each time you leave and reenter an area from the World Map. It means it's stupid to buy your consumables where you can, but it's a lot faster to buy stuff you need rather than farm a spot endlessly. Especially since there's only a small handful of equipment bits that are purchase only.

Anyway that's it for the intermission. I'll pick up in the next post in a while where I left off last time.

NEXT TIME: The Day Pigs Flew, or, Lumberjack For A Day

EDIT: Tired, and busy for next few days. Plz understand. Will post tomorrow night.

Eirikr
05-03-2008, 11:56 PM
Who did the music for FFMQ? I've always loved the music but could never get past the third crystal stage I think... Man that was so long ago too...

Ryuji Sasai did most of the (good) music in MQ. He only did a few other games for Square like FF Legend 3 and the Japan-only Treasure of the Rudras before falling off the face of the Earth completely. Shame, too.

Alixsar
05-03-2008, 11:59 PM
That's right guys, nearly 15 years before FFXII (or less for XI if you want to include it) a Final Fantasy game had no random encounters.

It did, however, have spots to go to in the overworld which had nothing but random encounters.

Ample Vigour
05-04-2008, 12:08 AM
Speed run? I can't wait.

Tired, and busy for next few days. Plz understand. Will post tomorrow night.

Make that: "I can wait." Take your time, dude.

ReyVGM
05-04-2008, 12:24 AM
Here's an AWESOME OMFG arranged version of the Battle, Boss Battle and Last Boss (http://www.vgmuseum.com/music/blog/FF%20Mystic%20Quest%20Battles.wma) tracks.

Mightyblue
05-04-2008, 12:44 AM
It did, however, have spots to go to in the overworld which had nothing but random encounters.Not really random except in the FFXII sense of whatever monster groups spawn. The battlefields are totally optional, and don't impede your progress in any way, save for one key item.

Jakanden
05-04-2008, 04:30 AM
Here's an AWESOME OMFG arranged version of the Battle, Boss Battle and Last Boss (http://www.vgmuseum.com/music/blog/FF%20Mystic%20Quest%20Battles.wma) tracks.

OMFG AWSOME!! Seriously, that was a good track. Thanks for the linkage.

On the topic at hand, I never finished MQ. I played it one time back when it came out and was pissed as it was nowhere near as good as FFIV. I tried going back a few times over the years and never got more than about an hour in so I don't know anything about the soundtrack. This thread makes me want to play the game (almost) just to hear it.

MCBanjoMike
05-04-2008, 08:23 AM
I bought it back when it came out and was pissed as it was nowhere near as good as FFIV.

My tragic tale. In the end I thought it was OK, but I've always been resentful that it didn't live up to FF II, which I wished I had bought instead. You know what bothers me the most about this game? Every time you hit enemy X with weapon Y, it does exactly the same amount of damage - there's almost no randomness at all to the fights. It made the whole (already repetitive) game seem even more repetitive.

That glove that you get that acts like the hookshot is cool, though.

Falselogic
05-04-2008, 01:56 PM
The first time I played this the only FF I had played before was the original so I didn't have any preconceived notions of what Mystic Quest should be. I think because of this I've enjoyed it on its own merits as opposed to expecting it to be more like FF...

I'm not saying that Mystic Quest is great it's more of an OK, which makes sense as it's original scores when it came out reflect (3.75/5 and 7/10).

So if you're going to play it, in your head just leave out the FF, and your left with a good simple game, like Zelda...

Ample Vigour
05-04-2008, 02:09 PM
That glove that you get that acts like the hookshot is cool, though.

Back then that glove was all it took for my jaw to drop. It took far too long for other RPGs to steal that bit of design.

Thraeg
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Ryuji Sasai did most of the (good) music in MQ. He only did a few other games for Square like FF Legend 3 and the Japan-only Treasure of the Rudras before falling off the face of the Earth completely. Shame, too.

Ah, that explains it. I played Treasure of the Rudras last year, and the music was incredible.

Pombar
05-05-2008, 10:24 AM
FFL3 and Rudras are two of my fave RPGs of all time... and are ridiculously overlooked. I probably need to replay Rudras about now, actually.

Mightyblue
05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
Sorry about no update last night guys, but a paper snuck up and kicked me in the ass. Should be able to knock something together after work tonight instead of playing FES.

MCBanjoMike
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
Sorry about no update last night guys, but a paper snuck up and kicked me in the ass. Should be able to knock something together after work tonight instead of playing FES.

When we got that puppy, you swore that you would feed it and walk it every day!

Mightyblue
05-05-2008, 10:12 PM
This Week on the Adventures of Neo and His Merry Band: Deus Ex Monstra, or, The Land of Brown Thumbs!

When last we left our noble hero and chosen one Neo, he was being shang...er, recruited as the savior of the world by local senile old fart Morphy. True to the saying that surprises are never good and that you should never take pills from strange men wearing glasses, our fair hero is in a sudden bit of trouble as a monster precipitously falls out of nowhere to gatecrash Morphy's anointing ceremony. To wit:
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)007.png
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)008.png
Our noble hero, having nothing much in the way of combat power besides a dinky sword and bravery has little choice but to hack the gravity-challenged Behemoth to death. Neo fights the hardest battle he will ever fight and emerges on top after de-horning the foul beast and making it cry for its mommy in the sky. Thankfully gravity decides to take a break and spare our wounded hero from the ignominy of getting his ticket punched by a horny mother Behemoth.

Not content to let our hero bask in the afterglow of the moment, craz...er, wise Morphy wisely advises our hero that sitting around on a collapsing mountain, even one with a fancy name is not great for one's life insurance policy. That bas...er, wise old man then flies away on his magic cloud after telling our hero to seek out the MacGuffin of Earth, leaving our fair hero to race the mountain down to the valley below.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)030.png
Sadly for our hero, there will be no prize money from a cheesy moon country game show for surviving his trial, the pride and honor from freeing an old fart trapped behind a boulder his only reward. The kind old man gives fair Neo a fine torch and tells him to show it to a girl named Kaeli er, scratch that, Trinity in the burg Woodlot, so that she can guide him through the withered forest.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)031.png
The fair backwater of Treefarm is notable for few things, but our noble hero knows that the populace is only too willing to support his efforts against the monsters, and so borrows the Cure spell from the back room of the house on the river. Armed with his first spell, grand Neo ventures into the house of the lady Trinity and brandishes his new torch for all and sundry to see, even as the lady of the house laments her husband's lost cap. The fair damsel seems troubled by the hero's new toy...tool, muttering something about monsters and foul horticulture, and grabs up her father's axe as she takes on the role of guide through the treacherous Forest of Plumbity.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)032.png
The path through is blocked by monsters, and the party adds some color to the surroundings with the blood, gore, and, uh, goo of the enemies, our hero growing ever stronger as they struggle to reach the evil tree ruling the forest. Lady Trinity strikes down the foul shrubbery with her mighty axe, but the fiend masquerading as a bit of Nature's finest poisons the brave forester and engages the party in dishonorable combat. Our hero and wounded heroine bravely fight the fell beast, the hero chipping in with his newfound healing magics when the party's strength wanes, but eventually they emerge triumphant over the monster, fallen to a fatal pruning. It is a Pyrrhic victory however, as our heroic lady falls to the invidious poison coursing through her veins, and noble Neo carries her back to her mother's house with a leaden heart.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)022.png
After securing fair Trinity in her bed, our brave hero learns from the fair lady's mother that only the Elixer can cure the poison afflicting her, and it can only be found the Temple of Sand to the north. Our grand hero sets off with Trinity's axe in hand with hope newly bolstered in his heart and the dying wind at his back.

NEXT TIME: My Fair Bandit, or, My Battlefield for a Trinket!

Ed. Note: You guys have no idea how much goddamn fun I just had writing that. I also changed a few plot details, but it was mostly in the heat of the moment and too entertaining to bother with following the script terribly closely.

Traumadore
05-05-2008, 10:19 PM
I think it's worth noting that the monsters change to beat-up sprites when they are damaged. It is kind of novel to see all the classic monsters covered in bandages and black eyes.

Brickroad
05-05-2008, 10:20 PM
I also changed a few plot details, but it was mostly in the heat of the moment and too entertaining to bother with following the script terribly closely.

This was a sound decision made with the best of intentions I'm sure, and I for one applaud you for it.

Mightyblue
05-05-2008, 10:21 PM
I did note it sort of, since there's an image limit to consider, and I plan on doing the blow by blow for the Crystal bosses. Maybe it didn't come through in the text, but that's what I was a going for.

Merus
05-05-2008, 10:51 PM
I think it's worth noting that the monsters change to beat-up sprites when they are damaged. It is kind of novel to see all the classic monsters covered in bandages and black eyes.
Like many things Mystic Quest does, I wish more games did. (Other Merus favourites: enemies on the field instead of random encounters; dungeons that you return to, unlocking new parts each time that lead to areas you weren't sure how to get to before; neat music.)

Scud
05-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Let's Play Mystic Quest.......nnnnnnnnnnnnnno.

Mightyblue
05-06-2008, 12:12 AM
Dude, if you don't want to follow along, that's fine, but don't be that way.

Lakupo
05-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Let's Play Mystic Quest.......nnnnnnnnnnnnnno.

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE, YOU WILL BE ASSIMILATED

fanboymaster
05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I believe that Mystic Quest was my first RPG, it's strange, I really don't remember much about it but memories are slowly coming back. I thank you oh great and mighty Blue. With or without nostalgia this is enjoyable.

PapillonReel
05-07-2008, 08:56 PM
I played through Mystic Quest once - I thought it was a bit dull at times, but some of the things it did are pretty respectable. The music's also really boss.

C'mon, don't leave us hangin' MightyBlue! We wanna see how Neo's story ends. :)

Mightyblue
05-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Eh, maybe this weekend, hopefully. If I'm not dead from writing a paper and studying for the king of all finals on Tuesday accompanied with work.

Jonathan
05-07-2008, 09:19 PM
I loved Mystic Quest when it came out. I had been so enamored with FFIV that when I saw MQ's ad in a magazine I fantasized about its potential.

I was disappointed in many ways- I really liked the larger parties of IV, even though I struggled to get the hang of RPGs back then. But MQ helped me understand the basics in a different way. I have many fond memories playing the game with a friend of mine, taking turns, listening to that cure potion sound effect, learning to pronounce "Phoebe" for the first time.

Although, once I got ahold of FFVI and Chrono Trigger, I didn't look back.

Ample Vigour
05-07-2008, 09:54 PM
It might be fashionable now to bitch about getting FFIV easytype and MQ here in the States, but I'm thankful that my fourth-grade self got to play his first RPGs with training wheels. I doubt I would have such fond memories of the genre if my first experiences had been wave after wave of Zoidbergs instead of faux Indy and his mechanical glove.

tl;dr: I agree with Jonathan.

Gredlen
05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
I loved Mystic Quest back in the day and that was AFTER I played FF6 (my first RPG), FF4, and even Chrono Trigger.
Maybe it's because of the totally awesome music. Or maybe it just did enough things differently from most RPGs while not being bad that I could appreciate it for what it got right. And the awesome music, too.

Falselogic
05-09-2008, 10:58 AM
School is getting in the way I assume? and we'll see more of Neo's (mis)adventures this weekend?

Mightyblue
05-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Yeah, I had to turn in a major project today, and I have to work till 1 A.M. later, so I'm a bit bushed. Should have something up on Saturday though.

Falselogic
05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I had to turn in a major project today, and I have to work till 1 A.M. later, so I'm a bit bushed. Should have something up on Saturday though.

Great! I look forward to reading it

mopinks
05-09-2008, 01:04 PM
yeah, I'm looking forward to more of this too. this is a game I haven't played through in at least ten years, so it's a vicarious journey of joyful rediscovery.

Pheeel
05-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Hey, nostalgia! This was my first J-RPG. Whenever I replay it now I find myself getting frustrated by the repetitive battle sequences(mainly in those battlegrounds where you have to plow through ten fights in a row for a meagre reward), but the music and the dungeon designs are still great.

Daikaiju
05-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Y'know, one complaint about MQ I don't get; the difficulty level. I mean the print ads basically made it very clear. This was FF on easy mode. I found it relaxing after playing though FF2/aka FFIV.

Ample Vigour
05-11-2008, 11:38 AM
Y'know, one complaint about MQ I don't get; the difficulty level. I mean the print ads basically made it very clear. This was FF on easy mode. I found it relaxing after playing though FF2/aka FFIV.

Have you found any of those old print ads? The only one I remember was a closeup of a cow's face.

Octopus Prime
05-11-2008, 01:43 PM
I remember one had a brain with a coat-hanger sticking out of it, which existed to point out that "Hey, this game has some puzzles".

Kishi
05-11-2008, 03:23 PM
I love that the Behemoth is typically among the toughest enemies to be found in Final Fantasy, yet in Mystic Quest, it's the very first monster you face and as much a pushover as anything else. It really sets the tone for the entire experience.

On the topic at hand, I never finished MQ. I played it one time back when it came out and was pissed as it was nowhere near as good as FFIV. I tried going back a few times over the years and never got more than about an hour in so I don't know anything about the soundtrack. This thread makes me want to play the game (almost) just to hear it.

All you need is LAVA DOME (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0pbFopEtI5Y)

Sami
05-11-2008, 03:55 PM
I liked the game enough even after several other SNES RPGs, and the music was indeed awesome. Doom Castle rocks! (literally)

Mightyblue
05-11-2008, 04:15 PM
I love that the Behemoth is typically among the toughest enemies to be found in Final Fantasy, yet in Mystic Quest, it's the very first monster you face and as much a pushover as anything else. It really sets the tone for the entire experience.Actually, the ironic thing is that it's probably the hardest fight in the game, since you can't really do anything but attack and defend.

Falselogic
05-11-2008, 05:39 PM
Actually, the ironic thing is that it's probably the hardest fight in the game, since you can't really do anything but attack and defend.

The very first battle in the game is not the hardest... I don't even think you can die during it, IIRC the old man will heal you if you lose your life... and there are no hard battles in Mystic quest, just long ones...

looking forward to the next bit, we getting to the bone t-rex?

Mightyblue
05-11-2008, 06:25 PM
Yeah, but this week is Finals week for me, so I won't have time to actually play Mystic Quest until Sunday or so. I will however, have a few intermission segments from Uncle Steve, so look forward to that.

Mightyblue
05-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, high fever and working five hours as a customer service manager isn't great for your health, as I feel like I'm dead right now, and I just survived my history final. Haven't had time to play much more of Mystic Quest yet, but I will go into the magic and weapon "systems" for the game, magic today and weapons tomorrow.
------

Welcome to Uncle Steve's Guide to Mysteries of the Arkane For Dimwits and Village Idiots! This fine introductory tome is bound in the finest of brownie hide and written on paper made from the cursed trees of Level Forest! Within this repository of the arts arkane, you shall find all you need to know about the twelve Great Magics of Genifaniland, including how to use* them!

*DISCLAIMER: Uncle Steve is not responsible for and does not condone the use of the Great Magics to bring back your long dead girlfriend or "rezoning" townships and the people in them.

Before Uncle Steve imparts the wisdom of the ancients to you, oh wise consumer, he would like to remind you of the basic divisions between magic groups and of magic charges. Magic in Genifaniland is divided into three types; white, black, and wizard. White magic tends to be mostly restorative and supportive, however the trick of using Cure on the undead is a well known and loved use of the magic. Also, in more experienced circles, it is not unknown that the use of Life magic on most living creatures will actually kill them.

Black magic is the bread and butter of anyone wishing to do anything from starting a campfire to striking down annoying heroes waving their swords in the air.

Wizard magic, on the other hand is highly powerful, highly destructive, and highly difficult to cast. It is commonly considered a rare wonder to see the Meteor spell in action, rare because it is rather rare to live through such an experience.*

*DISCLAIMER: Uncle Steve claims no liability for any injuries or fatalities resulting from such activities. Remember, the first rule of magic is to never get caught.

But in order to cast any of the Great Magics, it is necessary to expend a certain amount of white, black or wizard magical energy, commonly known as "charges" in order to effect a spell. The Great Magics are notable in that each spell within a group requires the same amount of energy to cast, which has befuddled scholars and sages for generations. Uncle Steve would like to remind you to keep cool, and don't sweat the small stuff (And for more on "charge" theory, please check out Uncle Steve's supplementary work!).

And now on to the secrets of the ages!

White Magic:
Cure: A spell of the white grouping that heals approximately one quarter of the wounds that a person has incurred, including internal damage from effects like poisons. The magic does not have the power to restore critical wounds that have killed or nearly killed a person however, for that you will need the Life spell.

Life: Another white spell that restores life to the dead and undead; reviving the dead with approximately half their wounds healed and utterly destroying the undead. A noted quirk of the spell is the fact that it can kill most forms of living creatures by stealing away their life energies. Some theories posit that the Great Magic is powered by the stolen life force of other creatures, but it is still a matter of great debate.

Heal: The third white spell which purges the body of any toxins, curses, or any other negative effect save for death. This spell, perhaps more than Cure or Life is the most sought after by adventurers and for good reason. Uncle Steve also recommends you pick up this spell as soon as you can, or at least “borrow” it from friends who don’t need it.

Exit: For those times when you just want to get out of a place, or when you need to show the monsters where the cave entrance is, the Exit spell is the spell for the occasion. Though it has long been debated why Exit magic is classed with the other White spells, Uncle Steve has oft been quoted as saying “Where the **** else would they put it? Not like they’ve got Grey or Green magic here, right?”

Black Magic:
Fire: As the name states, it is a general purpose Fire magic, capable of everything from cooking an adventurer’s dinner to making monster flambé.* Uncle Steve would like to remind the reader to be cautious, as it is easy to let the flames go out of control.*

*DISLAIMERS: Uncle Steve recommends that you do not eat cooked monster flesh, as you are what you eat, after all, and he would also like to remind the cautious reader that he is again not responsible or liable for any and all magic related incidents like the Great Forest Bonfire of ’53.

Blizzard: Handy for when you’re running out of ice or for making tasteful ice sculptures, the Blizzard spell is fit for any magus seeking to use the power of cold to make displays of art or cold hard cash. Like the other spells in the Black category, Uncle Steve would like to remind the gentle reader that Black spells are typically more effective when concentrated in one spot rather than over an entire area.

Quake: This powerful earth-elemental spell rips apart the ground at the feet of your enemies, and is the sole wide-area effect Black spell. Scholars still debate how the spell affects flying creatures, but Uncle Steve would like to remind the reader that it doesn’t matter how it works, so long as it works.*

*DISCLAIMER: The Why however is still important, and Uncle Steve would like to point out that in addition to his general inculpability he is also inculpable for why any mage would choose to use the magic outlined in this text, and cannot be responsible for any magical tragedies like mage Huvner’s triple murder and suicide over his lover, sister, and pet monkey.

Aero: Find yourself in need of a breeze on a hot day, or a gust of wind to blow an irritating cloud away? Then the Aero magic is for you, as it grants the user complete control over the winds. Uncle Steve recommends caution with this spell, as you still need air to breathe in the middle of a tornado.*

*DISCLAIMER: Not that Uncle Steve endorses the creation of cyclones through this spell of course, but the preceding was merely provided as an object example, much like blowing up the robes of the student mages in the girls’ dormitory is an example that SHOULD NOT BE FOLLOWED.

Wizard:*

*DISCLAIMER: If any of Uncle Steve’s wise readers do in fact obtain Wizard magic, he would like to take this opportunity to remind them that he has always been their friend, and that he was their initial guide down the path of mastering magic. He would also like to gently suggest to the munificent ones that there is still much that Uncle Steve can teach them, and that they should spare his valuable and meaningful life.

Thunder: The weakest and most common form of Wizard magic is the less-than-humble Thunder spell, granting the user control over the mightiest forces of the sky. Handy for little else but mass destruction and for powering the inventions of a man who goes by the moniker of “Non-Noble Land Owner.”*

*DISCLAIMER: Uncle Steve would like to remind the reader that he is not liable for mass destruction, and that Mr. Non-Noble Land Owner and his crazy machines and theories are nothing but hollow lies and empty profit margins. Uncle Steve is also on the lookout for any inventors in the field of machinery for his next book.

Flare: The most powerful fire magic, Flare magic imitates the flames of the sun, roasting any and everything with the purest elemental fire. Also handy for Insta-Tanning™ and for mass producing glass in desert environments. Also, mass destruction.*

*DISCLAIMER AND COPYRIGHT: Tanning through the use of Flare magic is patented to Uncle Steve and is subject to all international codes governing the use of patents and copyrights. Also, Uncle Steve does not endorse turning towns or simple businessmen into smoking charcoal.

White: Not to be confused with “White” magic, White magic draws upon the elemental power of life and light like White magic does in order to attack an enemy or group of enemies. Sadly however, Uncle Steve reports that the magic does not come with an angelic chorus providing a gospel BGM effect.

Meteor: The grandest of all offensive magics, this spell rains down countless meteors from the heavens unto your opponents, devastating everything in a wide area around the caster. If one should indeed obtain this legendary spell, Uncle Steve would request that the caster perform this over the house of Mr. Non-Noble Land Owner.*

*DISCLAIMER: While the preferred time of casting would be at night, of course it should never be cast while Mr. Non-Noble Land Owner is inside, as that would be murder. And that would be illegal.

Octopus Prime
05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
That was magnificent, thank you.

Gredlen
05-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Life: Another white spell that restores life to the dead and undead; reviving the dead with approximately half their wounds healed and utterly destroying the undead. A noted quirk of the spell is the fact that it can kill most forms of living creatures by stealing away their life energies. Some theories posit that the Great Magic is powered by the stolen life force of other creatures, but it is still a matter of great debate.

I never thought I'd learn something from a Mystic Quest LP.

Jeanie
05-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Nice post, I laughed.

Oh and I think it is impossible to beat the game without the Life spell. I got to the last boss without it but I could not do it until I went back and picked up from where I missed it.

mr_bungle700
05-13-2008, 09:03 PM
I love the magic "system" in Mystic Quest. It's so...quaint.

Mightyblue
05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I figured that I'd ask whether or not you guys could actually understand my explanation up above, regardless of whether it was entertaining or not.

Given that Uncle Steve's going to be making a repeat appearance in a day or two, did I get too carried away with the disclaimers and stuff?

Ample Vigour
05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
did I get too carried away with the disclaimers and stuff?

I was laughing, so I say no.

Falselogic
05-14-2008, 12:37 PM
thoroughly I look forward to reading more of Uncle Steve's works

MCBanjoMike
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Given that Uncle Steve's going to be making a repeat appearance in a day or two, did I get too carried away with the disclaimers and stuff?

You're breaking the fourth wall!

Shadax
05-14-2008, 01:05 PM
looking forward to the next bit, we getting to the bone t-rex?

I originally read that as "when will we get to bone T-Rex?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/T_RexatWheeley.jpg
BANG A GONG
GET IT ON

Anyway, I am really enjoying this thread, so keep up the good work, soldier.

Mightyblue
05-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi, you’ve just purchased Uncle Steve’s Compendium of Weapons for Idiot Adventurers and Village Idiots! This latest addition to Uncle Steve’s guides to the world of Genifaniland covers several of the more common weapons of the world in addition to the legendary weapons wielded by the great hero Neo! During the writing of this book, Uncle Steve was even fortunate enough to meet the latest descendent of the legendary hero, Septimus the Seventh, and gaze upon these bladed wonders of the world in person. Rumor has it that Sir Septimus is even in the process of translating and modernizing the legendary hero’s diaries, and Uncle Steve is working hard to obtain the publishing rights for his loyal readers.

And now, on with the show!

Swords: Swords are good for pointy-stabby things and little else, but strike a fair balance between uselessness and damage potential. A time honored adventurer’s technique is to poke things with a sword in lieu of just pushing a button, the logic being that you lose your sword instead of an arm. This is not always the case, as the famous example of Sir Burnard proves when the legend triggered a Thunder trap with his sword. Tales tell that the sky lit up for miles, and all that remained of the former hero was adventurer well done.

Steel Sword: A common adventurer’s favorite that tends to serve more as a spit for roasting dinner over a fire than any real combat purpose given its relative weakness. Legend tells that this was the legendary hero’s first weapon, and Uncle Steve knows of a store in old Fireburg, Uncle Frank’s*, that sells replicas of the design the hero used in his adventure.

*DISCLAIMER: Uncle Steve would like to note that the Uncle Frank chain of novelty and discount stores is no way related to Uncle Steve, and that any attempts to link the two will be met with much gnashing of teeth and legal haranguing by Uncle Steve’s team of lawyers.

Knight Sword: A much reinforced version of the Steel Sword that was popular ages before the hero’s time, and is still a time-honored favorite of midtier adventurers today, but a good axe will still put it to shame. Uncle Steve remembers fondly the time he first sold a Knight Sword to a foo..er, wise customer who felt that swords were stronger than axes at his uncle’s Uncle Frank store when he was a wee lad.

Excalibur: The legendary blade that is stronger than almost any weapon save for the strongest of high explosives, legend says that the great hero Neo found it lying in a corner in the tower of a great devil named “Picross*” or summat like that near the end of his journeys. The holy blade currently resides in the home of Septimus the Seventh, who uses it as a fireplace poker.

*DISCLAIMER: Uncle Steve would like to remind that tubby ‘eye-tale-an’ fellow that his use of the Picross title is legal under fair use laws, and that if he tries to sue him again Uncle Steve will drop a note to that Cooper fellow about the whereabouts of his girlfriend.

Axes: Tools of mass deforestation or mass decapitations depending on how the adventurer uses it, axes have long been favored tools for their ability to clear out trail blockages and the monsters sitting in them.

Axe: As the name says, it’s a big stick with twin blades on it that chops into things. The particular Axe the hero used is of Forestan design, but since the town burned down in the Great Forest Bonfire of ’53* there are no more remaining examples in common circulation.

*DISCLAIMER: Which Uncle Steve still categorically denies he was responsible for or had any part in.

Battle Axe: An axe of Fireburghan design that is still in wide use today, centuries after the hero’s quest due to its simple and reliable design and the Fireburghers continued strong presence on the world weapons’ market.*

*DISCLAIMER: Claims that the Fireburghers have a ‘monopoly’ over the world weapons market are baseless and slanderous, because the whole world buys Fireburgher weapons because the world knows that the Fireburghers know how to kill someone right the first time.

Giant’s Axe: A legendary weapon of unknown origins that the hero found in the Alive Forest near the Giant Tree, this weapon is nearly as tall as most men and extraordinarily powerful. It currently resides in the polebarn of Septimus the Seventh who uses it to prop up a wall, and repeated inquiries to move the historic weapon are continually met with “Well, where the hell else am I supposed to put the damned thing?”

Claws: The weapons of cats and ex-girlfriends everywhere, these weapons are more noted for the rather nasty side effects instead of their attack strength. Also, they are popular mountain climbing tools.

Cat Claw: This weapon was passed on to the hero by the strange woman Persephone while the hero was trekking through the Wintry Cave, and in addition to its mountain climbing propensities it also had a unique poison impregnated in the claws that could paralyze muscles and break down the body’s tissues.*

*DISCLAIMER: Every now and then a smart chef will use the poison in a Cat Claw as a meat tenderizer, but after the Fireburg Mayor died from accidental poisoning all uses of Claw weapons in culinary work have been banned. And no, the chef responsible had no ties to Uncle Steve or his family whatsoever, despite the large transfer to the chef’s account at the Bank of New Foresta.

Charm Claw: A reinforced version of the Cat Claw with a stronger poison that in addition to the previous physical effects blinds and interferes with the victim’s mental processes, causing random narcolepsy and disassociative states. Despite this weapon’s banning from use in practically the entire world, it still finds use in Fireburg as an “anti-vermin” tool.*

*NOTE: The common Fireburgher response to questions about why such a weapon would be needed for mice is always “Big rats in Fireburg.” Uncle Steve funds an annual effort to find such specimens, but people keep asking the same questions regardless of the rodents of unusual size his efforts always find.

Dragon Claw: Legendary weapon that may or may not be made from a dragon’s claw, it was used by the hero to great effect due to the extendable nature of the device and the extremely powerful poison the claws bear. Even stronger than the Charm Claw’s poison, it can mute a person’s vocal cords or even turn them to stone in addition to the other physical and mental effects. It finds great use with Septimus the Seventh, who keeps a garden of petrified salesmen and con artists to scare away others of their kind.*

*NOTE: The rumors that Uncle Steve came away from his interview with Septimus swathed in bandages and riding in back of a cart are totally unfounded. As everyone knows, it was the latest fashion in Fireburg to wear lots of white scarves all over the body and it was a long walk from Septimus’s drive and Uncle Steve had pulled his back and couldn’t bend well.

High Explosives: For those who enjoy demolition and creative indoor decorating, there are a variety of explosives for all occasions.

Bombs: The weakest form of high explosives on the market, these commonly find use with adventurers and other people who need to blow open new paths in caves and dungeons. An odd effect that all explosives share is the weakening against the blast when used against more than one opponent.

Jumbo Bombs: XXXL bombs that blow up, only moreso. Caution is recommended when used in enclosed spaces, as famed spelunker Carl Bad found out to his dismay when he turned himself into a unique piece of modern art inside a semi-enclosed cave chamber.*

*DISCLAIMER: Carl Bad should have known to get the new edition of Uncle Steve’s Using Explosives for Idiot Miners and Village Idiots, because one of the improvements was the warning not to use explosives in confined spaces, and as such Uncle Steve could not be held responsible for Carl Bad not making sure he was aware of current instructions.

Mega Grenade: The most powerful man-borne weapons on the planet, these fearsome weapons erupt in tremendous explosions, and the field in front of Septimus the Seventh’s mansion is littered with holes formed from Mega Grenade explosions, as he flings them at people who try to see him without an appointment.*

*NOTE: And no, Uncle Steve DID have an appointment to see Sir Septimus and the explosions heard from his estate that day were from Uncle Steve’s request to see fine Fireburgher engineering in action. He also did not dash up the hill like a madman as some rumors also suggest.

mr_bungle700
05-15-2008, 08:28 PM
If nothing else, axes make this game's existence worthwhile.

shthock shthock shthock shthock shthock shthock shthock shthock

Falselogic
05-19-2008, 02:25 PM
that finals are over and we can see the continuing adventures of Neo.

Also a shamfel admission on my part... I've never gotten to the third area of this game... I've only every defeated two of the bosses and could never figure out my way through the focus tower into the third...

*humiliation*

Mightyblue
05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, look for something late tonight, as I have to go to work soon.

Mightyblue
05-19-2008, 10:58 PM
When last we left our fair hero, he had just left flyspeck town Foresta in search of the Elixir to cure the poison flowing through Lady Trinity's veins. The legendary quaffable could only be found in the Sand Temple, and so our hero headed north through the Level Forest into the Great Desert of No Name, passing a local monster's Local ULPH 320 meeting place at the north end of the dessicated forest. Not wishing to enter into a union dispute, our hero forged north to the Sand Temple lying at the foot of the desert.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)024.png
And no sooner than he had laid eyes upon the curiously well kept treasure box that held the Elixir did the local "treasure hunter" and ragamuffin Tristan fall out of nowhere and steal the legendary brew from its age old resting place before our hero's eyes. Our fair hero was fain to try out the edge of his lady's axe on the head of the offender, but the scandalous roustabout held up a hand and spoke the most honeyed words to persuade our hero to relax his mighty fury.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)028.png
Now en route to some hole called the Lair of Bones, our hero and ruffian took a wrong turn and ended up at the desert monsters' Local meeting place, and though our hero and company were loath to involve themselves in union matters, the sight of the Charm lying in the midst of the meeting place drove dubious Tristan to altruism, and the raider of ruins persuaded our hero to "mediate" the union members' dispute.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)029.png
Some hours later, our hero and crew emerged from the meetingplace feeling somewhat ill, but holding the Charm triumphantly in hand as the sounds of silence filled the once riotous glade. Never looking back our hero(es) turned to the Pit of Ossified Remains and thus entered the legendary den of ill repute.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)038.png
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)039.png
Having finally arrived in the mythic desert nightclub, our hero saw the queves lined up against the wall, and saw they were bad, for brave Neo and cowardly Tristan were on a quest for blood and treasure and had little desire to pay cover fees to enter after waiting hours on end. Our forwardthinking hero charged forth, and rode the waves of sand to the club's entrance and where the den's bouncers awaited, and yet when they saw the murderous look in our hero's eyes they quailed where they stood and gave no resistance as fair Neo and foul Tristan leaped the barrier and entered the inner club.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)040.png

After pressing forward and jumping on the oddly shaped stones in the club pool, our hero found himself blocked by another queve leading even furthing into the heart of the gritty pit and was wroth. Rather than unleashing his anger upon the hapless partygoers he turned back and entered the club's pool after passing the skeleton of a fallen partier, seeking a new path at the other end of the refreshingly cool and clean waters.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)041.png
Thus dishonorable Tristan and trustworthy Neo forged onward, finding a new path that ended in fallen stones. Frustrated once more, sore Neo almost thought better of the path of kindness and righteousness, but Tristan surprised the hero anew with the revelation of his high explosives and the new path revealed through the clearing smoke. From the kindness of his heart so-so Tristan offered our hero the Bombs for a paltry sum, but our hero demurred, not wishing to deprive his somewhat useful underling of his tools. Yet, Tristan insisted again, this time only asking for a pittance at half of what he had asked before, and finally the hero's heart was moved.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)042.png

Issun
05-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Yay! I've been waiting for this one to get going again.

Mightyblue
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Our hero was himself struck by a momentary blow of altruism, and he wished to send off the skeleton of the poor late party-goer with a fireworks display, and so trudged quickly back. Once there he laid a Bomb at the feet of the fallen monster, and stood back in awe as crass noise and sulfurous smoke paid tribute, and noble Neo also felt that the accompanying shower of bone chips was quite apropos as well. After the smoke cleared, our hero and Tristan noticed a path that had been previously blocked, and at the end of it a fancy storage locker with a Steel Shield inside. Seeing this as a reward for his altruism, our fair Neo took the shield in arm whilst muttering the magic words "Finderus Keeperus," as all good young lads are taught.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)043.png
Reward in hand and another obstacle in the path of his objective cleared, grand Neo thus turned back to the path cleared by somewhat-trustworthy Tristan and the duo forged ahead through queves filled with unspeakable horrors and fashion sense, the paths branching and forking, and the sand escalators turned against them. The building itself worked against them further, the shoddy craftsmanship of the structure needing constant alterations provided by our noble hero's Bombs.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)047.png
As recompense for his remodeling efforts handy Neo found the Great Magic of Quake, and our hero quickly tucked the mystic tome into his sack as they made their way deeper into the nightclub until they reached the innermost sanctum where the club's owner, Flamerus Rex, resided. Rex, being the heartless skeleton he was, declined to hand over the treasures in his keeping to our heroes, and with regret in their hearts they turned their hands against the undead business-saur.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)049.png
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)051.png
In their opening gambit, ambitious Tristan assaulted Rex with the Life spell, which oddly had no effect against the undead beast, but Neo's Cure spell did grievous harm to the greedy un-lizard and Rex fired back with an explosive bone to surprised Tristan's face.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)052.png
The fight thus continued as Tristan hurled ninja star after ninja star at Rex as courageous Neo chipped in with the occasional Quake spell as he tried to prevent the ex-osaur from felling trusty Tristan with his explosive calcium.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)053.png
As our heroes wore Rex down, he began to shake the earth with what few bones remained, and though the end nearly came a few times, our heroes prevailed in the end as a final ninja star stole the unlife from the unfortunate investor.
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)054.png
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)056.png
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)057.png
With Rex retired to the history books and an oddly shining crystal now floating in the air, avaricious Tristan took the fabled Dragon Claw as his prize as troubled Neo wondered what that nagging feeling was. True to his word, okay Tristan turned over the Elixir as Neo also claimed a coin made out of sand as his share. Their business done, the heroes parted ways, Tristan leaving our fair hero in the glow of the Crystal and in the midst of a horde of refund hungry party-monsters.

NEXT TIME: Spring Comes Again, or, A Wintry Wonderland!

Stiv
05-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Having finally arrived in the mythic desert nightclub, our hero saw the queves lined up against the wall, and saw they were bad, for brave Neo and cowardly Tristan were on a quest for blood and treasure and had little desire to pay cover fees to enter after waiting hours on end. Our forwardthinking hero charged forth, and rode the waves of sand to the club's entrance and where the den's bouncers awaited, and yet when they saw the murderous look in our hero's eyes they quailed where they stood and gave no resistance as fair Neo and foul Tristan leaped the barrier and entered the inner club.

I don't think this is going to ever be topped.

Mightyblue
05-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm writing up the next entry right now (in wordpad of all things, heh), but I figured I should point out a few things about my play style for this one. I'm essentially just doing a beeline for the battlefields that hold equipment, spells and key items, and doing the same in the dungeons. The game more or less assumes that you'll clear out each battlefield you come across, and the dungeons are designed in a way where you're forced to run gauntlets of enemies to reach a boss or the exit. It sort of defeats the purpose of not having random encounters, but considering this game is Square's massive fuck you to U.S. RPG gamers, it fits.

Since I'm skipping out on all the "optional" stuff, I'm about three or four levels lower than I would be, and that means I'm a lot weaker since the game works more on the basis of level ups providing the bulk of your combat power versus gear collecting. It means that I'm actually having a bit of trouble here and there, and I actually got a game over while going through the Wintry Cave due to some nasty confusion attacks and Phoebe criting me with her bow.

Of course, the game lets you start any battle over again from the start, so it's no biggie, but it's still funny for a veteran RPGer to have trouble with Mystic Quest of all things.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm going with the club theme for all of the major dungeons, so I call on you, wiseass readers, to give me some good dungeon names fitting with the theme, preferably homonyms of the original names. 'Cuz that's how we roll, suckaz.

Merus
05-21-2008, 05:44 AM
Oh, and I'm going with the club theme for all of the major dungeons

It'd be funnier if you broadened it out and picked different places, honestly. I'd be surprised if the club joke had enough legs to go for all 4 dungeons.

Falselogic
07-22-2010, 10:52 AM
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/TT/liveagain.png (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82E7vhtLxNs)

I talked to Mightyblue and he's cool with me assuming control of his LP! I'm hoping to be able to start posting new things this weekend!

I can't say I have the writing chops to continue the club storyline but I'll try to make it as entertaining as possible!

q 3
07-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Let's celebrate with another awesome FFMQ remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVONT76pMjk)!

nadia
07-23-2010, 04:13 PM
http://mightyblue.gamespite.net/Pics/Games/Final%20Fantasy%20-%20Mystic%20Quest%20(U)054.png

I only just now really realised how hilarious this pic is. "Goddammit you guys, I may be a pile of bones, but I'm still gonna fuck your shit up! Just...just get down from the wall and stand on the ground!"

Glad to see this is resurrected.

Kishi
07-23-2010, 07:51 PM
I've already linked to Lava Dome in this thread, but that was over two years ago.

Let's do it forever (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0pbFopEtI5Y).

Heffenfeffer
07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Yeah, I think Flamersaurus Rex deserved to come back from the dead too.
Just like our Lord Jesus! (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=381904&postcount=341)

Foxeris
07-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I read this thread soon after I got here, I'm glad to see it coming back.

As for Mystic Quest. I remember playing this one when I was younger (though not all THAT young). It wasn't that bad of a game to be honest, I played it a couple of times and usually enjoyed it.

I still that the biggest problem was the name. If it hadn't connected with the Final Fantasy series I suspect it would be considered a classic with a couple good sequels and a few more bad ones. There was too many expectations attached to the name and it made it to easy to bash the game.

taosterman
07-24-2010, 11:46 AM
It was really Baby's First RPG for me, just like the designers intended. I played Final Fantasy II (IV) and died right before Cecil becomes a Paladin because I never equipped armor or weapons and ran away from every battle. Then I played this game and it properly introduced the fundaments of RPG gameplay to me in a way that carried over when I dove into meatier ones.

Mightyblue
07-24-2010, 11:06 PM
You REALLY don't have to keep up with the fanficcy thing you know. I just did it because MQ is a really dry game to LP because there's not a terribly whole lot to it to mock or otherwise.

Sky Render
07-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Never underestimate the potential to make a campy game like FF:MQ into a comedy goldmine! I recall reading an MST3K (remember those?) of the game that was actually pretty witty and introduced some amusing running gags. Trust me, the comedy potential is there. You just have to know how where to mine for it and how to make sure you hit the comedy gold and not the comedy pyrite.

And I just lost every single non-geologist in the audience with that last one. Damn I'm good.

McClain
07-24-2010, 11:38 PM
Never underestimate the potential to make a campy game like FF:MQ into a comedy goldmine! I recall reading an MST3K (remember those?) of the game that was actually pretty witty and introduced some amusing running gags. Trust me, the comedy potential is there. You just have to know how where to mine for it and how to make sure you hit the comedy gold and not the comedy pyrite.

And I just lost every single non-geologist in the audience with that last one. Damn I'm good.

Nah, I get it!

pyrite = fool's gold, right?

StrawberryChrist
07-25-2010, 11:11 AM

There may not be a lot of geologists here, but the majority of us are former gold rush prospectors. So we hear you. Except we can't hear on account of a dynamite accident.

ThricebornPhoenix
07-25-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm hoping to be able to start posting new things this weekend!
Man, it's about time someone picked this up. There are so many extinct Abandoned and endangered On Hiatus LP's, it's depressing.

Mightyblue
07-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Oh, I'm still working on the Wild ARMs one, but I've just been busy with RL shit and also dealing with some personal issues ATM. I should have another update up this week for that one.

Falselogic
07-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Well I didn't get to post any new content this weekend. But I did get the New Neo to the same spot the old Neo was. So once I've got enough material for a new post it'll go up.

Thanks for all the encouragement!

Falselogic
07-31-2010, 07:36 PM
Once Tristam grabs the treasure he hands over the Elixir, what did Neo need this for anyway? It's been so long... hard to remember... Oh, yeah there's some broad who needed it for some intestinal issues she was having! Seems like a lot to destroy a night club over. Anyway once the treasure is divided up, with Tristam taking the best for himself he bails on Neo

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00003.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00004.png

What can you do?

With the Elixir safely tucked under his belt Neo makes his way through the now empty nightclub... It doesn't seem nearly as cool without the music and the people... No, it looks mostly like a cave in the desert, who thought that'd be a cool night club? Stupid, marketing. Neo makes his way back to Foresta

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00007.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00008.png

If memory serves this is where the girl he was supposed to be helping lives... How long was he in that nightclub? What was her name even?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00009.png

Yeah, that's it! I'm here to save... Kaeli, you said it was? Kaeli! I'd never abandon you to tummy troubles for years at a time! Not I Neo!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00011.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00013.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00015.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00016.png

Thank Goddess she isn't coming! I must have been pretty drunk when I hooked up with that chick. She doesn't look anything like a remember?! Another one for the wall of shame... I've really got to stop drinking so much. Wait, what? Why did I just volunteer to go half way across the world to help this fugly's uncle? Dammit! How do I get myself into these things? I bet it's the old man's fault. Maybe she'll change her mind?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00017.png

Guess not.

Focus Tower, what the hell is that?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00020.png

(In order to make this easier on myself I am cleaning out the monster lairs, I'm just not showing you boring screen after boring screen of me destroying entire ecological niches! JRPG Protagonists: Heroes or Sociopaths?)

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00021.png

You could go around but I know a secret path!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00022.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00023.png

There's that old man too! Maybe I can sneak up on him, kill him, and get out of this saving the world thing?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00024.png

Dammit, he saw me! What more people I have to meet? Why do you keep telling me to talk to people! I don't like people! They don't like me! Being a RPG protagonist sucks!

The old man didn't appear to be listening...

NEXT TIME: BLUE BALLS

Octopus Prime
08-01-2010, 12:28 AM
JRPG Protagonists: Heroes or Sociopaths?)

Thats not really an 'or' question...

Merus
08-01-2010, 04:59 AM
I don't care what everyone says, the Focus Tower is a super-cool dungeon. I really like the idea of a dungeon that acts like a Zelda-like overworld, where as you open it up you can double back and get chests that were tantalisingly out of reach beforehand.

Sanagi
08-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I somehow manage to get lost in Focus Tower every time I go into it.

Falselogic
08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
I somehow manage to get lost in Focus Tower every time I go into it.

The beginning is easy enough but later parts of it can be perplexing

Falselogic
08-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Last we left Neo, Oldy McFloatypants was blathering on about some Captain Mac... Neo lost interest fairly quickly until a lady was mentioned. Neo always has time for the ladies

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00026.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00027.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00028.png

I'm still puzzling out Neo's response... perhaps he's just a fan of the non-sequitur? With that last bit McFloatypants floats away and Neo is left with the puzzle of the Focus Tower!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00030.png

Like all good heroes Neo immediately begins by looting...

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00031.png

unlocking doors, in order to facilitate...

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00032.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00033.png

more looting!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00035.png

This branch of the Focus tower is pretty linear. Later on it gets slightly, ever so slightly more difficult (not difficult at all) and Neo soon finds himself in virgin territory. The future is bright, cold, and full of the screams of lamentations of Neo's enemies womenfolk.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00036.png

Neo is sure the town he is looking for is somewhere along the way... He just has to kill everything in his path first.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00037.png

It's kind of nice that Square just put all the grinding necessary to beat this game in chunks you can just run through.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00038.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00039.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00041.png

On his way Neo has discovered the Libra temple which for some reason is just a dirty cave with a glowing OMEGA symbol on the ground. But, more important he has met a lady! Neo has been missing feminine companionship he helped poison the last one who spent any time with him. Suavely, he introduces himself:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00041.png

Nice one Neo, ladys love the "hi" How are you still single?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00042.png

BONUS! She's a desperate one. Neo foresees, cheap booze, awkward sex and crying in his near future!

Falselogic
08-08-2010, 07:14 PM
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00043.png

Well, no that wasn't what Neo had in mind at all... Dammit! This one's going to take some charming! Just don't poison her Neo and you can lose!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00044.png

Wait go after her you fool!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00045.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00047.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00048.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00049.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00050.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00051.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00052.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00053.png

And that gentlemen is how you get a lady to join your party. Nonsense dialogue followed up by promises y to rescue her you have no intention of keeping! Neo tries out the OMEGA symbol but it appears broken... Onward!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00055.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00059.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00060.png

Neo and Phoebe pass through some battlefields before reaching the terribly misnamed city of Aquaria... where not a drop of water is to be found.

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00061.png

As soon as he arrives Neo begins doing the other thing heroes excel at! Interrogating villagers!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00061.png

Next: What the hell is going on around here?

Falselogic
08-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Neo spends some time getting to know the quaint village of Aquaria:

the frozen vegetation:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00064.png

the demolitions shop:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00066.png

The Inn:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00067.png

The bitter old lady:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00068.png

The useless item store:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00069.png

(This might actually matter if going through the focus tower and back to Foresta wasn't so quick and easy)

The pleasant denizens of Aquaria:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00072.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00073.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00075.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00076.png

Another broken glowing symbol:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00078.png

Finally after pressuring Phoebe all day to open up to a complete stranger her defenses break down and she spills the goods:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00080.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00081.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00082.png

No you moron! Remember what Bitter Old Lady said? The ice won't melt! It's magical!

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00083.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00084.png

I smell a fetch quest!

Falselogic
08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00085.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00086.png

What a poet! What a wordsmith Neo is! I don't understand why Phoebe isn't throwing herself at him already?

So, with new purpose and direction Neo and Phoebe leave Aquaria and head north to the Wintry cave:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00090.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00091.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00092.png

Where the are immediately accosted by... Scorpians?!?

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00093.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00094.png

This makes absolutely no sense from an ecological perspective... One their much to big for their exoskeletons to be able to support them! Even more puzzling is how they manage to live in such frigid conditions? Neo doesn't bother to ask such questions... He long ago started attributing every ridiculous thing he see on this planet to magic.

Also taking up residence in the Wintry Cave are edgehogs:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00095.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00096.png

Neo continues exploring the Wintry Cave while removing its indigenous populations:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00098.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00099.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00100.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00101.png

Until right about here where he slips and I fail at capturing any of it on camera. You'll have to assume it was a near fatal drop accompanied by much screaming, moaning, and ice cracking. The important thing is that Neo got a new toy out of the deal:

http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00102.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00105.png

Which will allow Neo to climb up those bumpy looking walls there!

Next time: Finding and using the Watcha-Ma-Call-It-Crest!

Octopus Prime
08-09-2010, 10:30 AM
http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00095.png http://i944.photobucket.com/albums/ad289/umbragradius/FFMQ/FinalFantasyMysticQuest_00096.png

Neo continues exploring the Wintry Cave while removing its indigenous populations:

There's nothing sadder then a balding hedgehog.

Falselogic
08-09-2010, 10:02 PM
and just as soon as its revitalized its dead! My PC just took a steaming dump all over itself. That happens when the videocard melts.

Anyway I don't have any back-up PCs and my existence on this board will only be maintained when I'm able to at work.

Sorry guys! I'll have the funds for a new PC sometime around the new year but not til then so it'll have to wait a while.

Sky Render
08-13-2010, 08:07 PM
The Matrix LP has changed again. Due to an unfortunate and unavoidable chain of events, Falselogic cannot continue, but he's given me the okay to take up the reigns in his place. Last time a change like this happened it caused Neo to become NEO, but what will it cause this time?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_1.png

Gasp! Shock! Awe! NEO is Neo again! And his HP is now numbers instead of a gauge! And the text boxes are black instead of blue! AND he's grappling to a cliff for dear life! This must've been a major shift!

Oh wait, he's using the Cat Claws to hold onto that cliff. So I guess it's not really that big a deal after all.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_2.png

Speaking of those claws, they're a bit of a gimmick weapon in that they cause status conditions, but more or less no enemy is weak against them. They're still fun to use, though, even if the enemies you wish they'd work on they don't ever seem to work on at all.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_3.png

This mysterious ice cave sure is mysterious. And icy. And cave-y. And loaded with monsters, but that's irrelevant.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_4.png

I always liked this feature. Enemies always have a weakness to a specific class of weapons, which basically guarantees a free critical against them if you use the right one. Gives you a good excuse to mix your attacks up, at least until you know what everything's weak against.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_5.png

Oh, I should mention that I also have what I like to call the Anti-Luck. Most players see this happen about 10% of the time on a bad day. I see it happen about 25% of the time on a good day, and about 75% of the time on a bad day. Yeah, randomizers hate me. Just keep that in mind as we progress.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_6.png

This room looks nifty. And annoying, too! Wow, two for the price of none!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_7.png

The bird enemies here are nasty, by the way. Neo entered the fight at full HP. Two birds got off an attack. Yeah.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_8.png

It's just you and me now, squiddo!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_9.png

Erm, I mean you and me and your sidekicks! Ugh, birds. Why did it have to be the birds?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_10.png

Fire magic does not work, oddly enough. Damn you, FF6, you mislead me!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_11.png

Ouchies! (Actually, the attack does all of 10 damage; the real problem is that it drops your magic power.)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_12.png

Seeing double-critical hits like that just makes me smile.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_13.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_14.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_15.png

Few would be so unfortunate as to see this happen. I am one of those few. Remember, I have the Anti-Luck.

Sky Render
08-13-2010, 08:09 PM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_16.png

Fortunately for me, status ailments are 100% effective as long as an enemy is not immune to them, so this oversized calamari just got poisoned. Woo! Now it's time to try Thunder on him!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_17.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_18.png

Wow, it's super effective. Suddenly this boss having an anti-magic skill makes sense.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_19.png

You're goin' down, dillweed! (Bombs rock its world too, just not quite as much as thunderbolts and lightning.)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_20.png

Eat electric death, squid!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_21.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_22.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_23.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_24.png

Oh good, I'd be terribly disappointed if that whole dungeon crawl was for nothing.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_25.png

Unsurprisingly, clearing the Ice Cave opens up the battlefield next door. Let's see what we have!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_26.png

I... I've got nothin'. I think this speaks for itself.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_27.png

Clearing it is well worth it, at least. Hooray for easy money!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_28.png

Stepping on the tile in the temple from before takes us here now. Funny, I was expecting more Wakewater and less dry pond.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_29.png

Um, how can you tell? There's nothing in there.

Sky Render
08-13-2010, 08:11 PM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_30.png

NO REALLY?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_31.png

Phoebe sure gives up easy. Also, stop showing off your powers, Neo. We all know you can see through walls and read the future.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_32.png

Oh jeez, not this guy again.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_33.png

You put it in a bag? That's rather unorthodox. Were there just no waterskins around? Is it at least not a paper bag?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_34.png

I honestly can't tell if it is a paper one or not, but we'd better hurry up and use it before it eats through the bag just in case.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_35.png

Alright, Wakewater me!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_36.png

One plant? Seriously? Damn it, you stupid cloud-riding jagoff, I TOLD you to use plastic!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_37.png

Great, so we're off to another ice-themed dungeon. Bet you didn't see that one coming, except of course that you probably did since it's so obvious. Away we go, then!

...Next time, that is, in Physics Give Up and Go Home.

Bonus!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_38.png

This guy says that he can't make any potions due to a lack of plants if you talk to him before this. So that one plant is enough to make infinite potions from? Man, those machines really suck at keeping the exploits down, even the non-hacker users are finding 'em now!

Falselogic
08-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Thanks Skyrender! I look forward to seeing how this game ends. Seeing as I never got passed this section when I was playing it as a youngin.

When I get a PC that can handle SNES emulation I'm sure I'll go back and beat it myself, but til then I live through you.

Octopus Prime
08-14-2010, 08:51 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_13.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_14.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_1_15.png

Few would be so unfortunate as to see this happen. I am one of those few. Remember, I have the Anti-Luck.

Great shot, Squid, that was one-in-a-million.

Sky Render
08-15-2010, 10:49 AM
It's time once and for all to tackle this mysterious Ice Pyramid. What a weird name for a nightclub...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_1.png

Getting to the Ice Pyramid isn't so easy, though. First you have to get through the front door, and the cover charge is MURDER!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_2.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_3.png

The road up to the club's pretty rough too. Also, why? It's not in our way, and it's gotta be twice as tall as either of us.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_4.png

Oh dears. That means this game has block puzzles. I can hardly wait, he lied.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_5.png

Yeah, we all know this routine...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_6.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_7.png

Not exactly the Flying Wallendas, but he'll do.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_8.png

And we have a new beastie to try to kill us! Lamias like to sing you to sleep with their lullaby, and then confuse your awake party member too. They're annoying, but they die in one Bow of Grace shot. Which, of course, is why they always sing Phoebe to sleep instead of Neo.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_9.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_10.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_11.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_12.png

Man, someone should've told Neo being The One involves so much pushing stuff and jumping around...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_13.png

Hooray, a new spell! Which we'll never use since status-healing items literally get tossed at you every other chest!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_14.png

The bouncer for Club Ice Pyramid is a mean bastard called Snow Crab. He's even got a few Desert Hag lackies. Bring it on, giant enemy crab! I know your weak point!

Sky Render
08-15-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_15.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_16.png

Uh, can I get a redo on that?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_17.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_18.png

Hey, *I'M* supposed to be the one doing the massive damage, not you!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_19.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_20.png

Dude, did Neo just get punked out by a crab doing a wrestling move? That's epic, yet stupid.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_21.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_22.png

Giving Phoebe the evil eye as he turns away, the bouncer decides to call it a day and let the two past.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_23.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_24.png

Oh thanks, Phoebe. I never would've figured THAT out on my own. Still, who am I to complain about more powerful explosives? Anyway, after a brief restocking trip at the Libra Temple for Phoebe's arrows, we're away!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_25.png

Some sadistic bastard put a Street Fighter 2 Turbo Championship Edition arcade cabinet a battlefield in the Ice Pyramid's lobby! Crafty BASTARDS!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_26.png

It's loaded with more of the same from the waterfall. Gee, I wonder if these thematically inappropriate enemies will also be in the Ice Pyramid.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_27.png

Whoa holy shit mages run!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_28.png

Who shall not pass, bitch?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_29.png

Meh, I was hoping for equipment. Oh well, a paltry bit of experience that two random battles could net me is okay, I guess. Now then, into the Ice Pyramid!

Sky Render
08-15-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_30.png

You don't say.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_31.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_32.png

What are you, a T-Rex? That "switch" can't be more than 4 feet off the ground!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_33.png

I've got it! We'll use a complex series of tubes and levers linked to a water-driven steam engine to maneuver a small mechanical arm to reach up and press the switch!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_34.png

Or, you know, you could whack it with your sword like a barbarian. You're so uncouth, Neo. Anyway, the nightclub looks pretty abandoned. I guess the monsters don't care for it?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_35.png

OH JESUS WHAT THE FUCK INVISIBLE DEMONS AAAAAAAH!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_36.png

Fortunately this thing's all of 15 feet from the entrance, and it reveals all the invisible monsters. Ahh, so this is a vampire nightclub. Got it.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_37.png

Definitely a vampire nightclub. Look, all our old friends are coming back from the dead to play again!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_38.png

And a few new ones are around to make us hate life! As their name suggests, Stoney Roosts can petrify you. And they will. A lot. In fact they often COUNTER-PETRIFY. Bastards.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_39.png

And we have more mythological menaces! Pretty much anything Egypt-themed in this game opens with a confusion attack, which sucks mightily.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_40.png

Huh, more arrows. Well that was nice of them, I guess.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_41.png

I love these little bastards. Why?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_42.png

They're ludicrously weak against the full-party bomb attack, that's why. Most pathetic enemy type ever.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_43.png

Wow, even the bouncer of the Ice Pyramid frequents it. This place must be popular amongst the undead!

Sky Render
08-15-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_44.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_45.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_46.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_47.png

Um yes, thank you for more arrows. Can I maybe have some more bombs? Kinda running short on those...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_48.png

I see what you did there, game developers. Making me walk down to a dead end to hit a switch to open the way forward. That's totally never been done, except in every RPG ever made.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_49.png

THANK YOU.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_50.png

Yeah, I bet you saw THAT coming.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_51.png

Ooh, nifty floor. The Sphinx on the left will be going down because he's guarding two chests with explosives in them.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_52.png

Falling down takes us to this little room. Which looks intimidating with all those monsters until you realize that you can get out of the room with exactly 2 battles fought.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_53.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_54.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_55.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_56.png

What is this game's unhealthy obsession with arrows all of a sudden, anyway?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_57.png

Awesome, new armor! That's bound to come in handy! And of course, being FFMQ, you don't have to manually equip it!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_58.png

Have I mentioned yet that I hate Stoney Roosts?

Sky Render
08-15-2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_59.png

GEE I WONDER WHAT I SHOULD DO HERE.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_60.png

WHAT, YOU BOMB IT? I AM AMAZED AND AWESTRUCK AND ALSO A TERRIBLE LIAR.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_61.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_62.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_63.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_64.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_65.png

That was quite a drop. Also, how much you want to bet one of those chests contains arrows?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_66.png

The red chest has a rockin' new sword, at least.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_67.png

If you bet one of these chests has arrows, no shit, Sherlock!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_68.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_69.png

Um, that was random. Was that the nightclub's owner?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_70.png

Conveniently, you can get below the floor here. Even though there was no real need to make it work like that.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_71.png

Let's just pretend this battle is going really well and move on...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_72.png

Oh gee, thanks game. If I want to backtrack, I can get those two chests. And I wonder what's inside them. Really, I have no clue.

Sky Render
08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_73.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_74.png

WHAT? ARROWS? IT MUST BE MY BIRTHDAY! (Seriously, this dungeon has a FETISH for arrows, did you notice?)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_75.png

Bah, words! Show me action! I know kung-fu, and your ass is going down!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_76.png

BURN BABY BURN FLAMES KEEP GETTING HIGHER

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_77.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_78.png

Sorry, you can't impress me with a sucker punch. I got full-nelsoned by a fucking crab, getting punched in the face really hard doesn't even surprise me any more.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_79.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_80.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_81.png

Thank you, new armor!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_82.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_83.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_84.png

OMG HAX! Attacks that heal the enemy and hurt the party at the same time are cheap, man!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_85.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_86.png

Someone in the attack naming department ran out of ideas, I guess...

Sky Render
08-15-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_87.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_88.png

And this is why I'm glad Phoebe didn't get hit by this attack earlier.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_89.png

Boom, baby! That's what you get for catering your nightclub to the undead over the living!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_90.png

Oh hey, the water crystal. How conveniently convenient.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_91.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_92.png

And that must mean our little jaunty adventure in the Ice Pyramid nightclub is complete! Hooray for bookended plot points!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_93.png

So we'll just take that coin which will no doubt open a door like the last one did, and call it a day. Come back next time for A Focus Tower Focus Group Sidequest!

Bonus!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_2_94.png

Mwahahaha! All those arrow chests from before now have bombs in them! The joke's on you, developers!

Pajaro Pete
08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
I love how one of the big things about the pyramid is that you can't see encounters, like it was some sort of big, horrible challenge.

And I'd completely forgotten that the Ice Golem was the Water Crystal boss. I remember the other three, but not this fella.

Falselogic
08-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I remember this the pyramid now that you've shown it again. Like Turnip though I'd forgotten about the golem as well as having to find the mirror. I think I might have gone through the first half of the dungeon without it the first time...

Sky Render
08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Funny how utterly forgettable the Ice Pyramid boss is. Also, I just noticed that those eyeball enemies are comically mistranslated and should be called Gazer. I guess they have a lisp?

Sky Render
08-17-2010, 09:47 AM
The Ice Pyramid nightclub has been shut down for catering to the undead, and the water crystal held hostage there freed. So now the world should be all nice and defrosted, right?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_1.png

Well what do you know, it is! An unfortunate side-effect of this is that you can't ever revisit the Falls Basin, so if you forgot to grab Heal there earlier, you can never get it ever again. Not that anybody's ever forgotten it, mind you.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_2.png

Aquaria looks much greener now, too. Also of note is that the tree-covered center isle now has flowers all over it instead. I guess the water crystal causes mass deforestation?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_3.png

Granny's all better. Good!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_4.png

Now gimme all your GP or I'll cut you! (Just kidding.)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_5.png

And you would know this... how? As far as I can tell, there is no way to access the roof of that thing.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_6.png

Who's Captain Mac again? Oh right, the guy who's apparently doomed because he forgot his cap. So I guess I should expect Spencer to be similarly off his rocker, then.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_7.png

Spends all day digging under his house? Yep, off his rocker. Or maybe just an overzealous Dwarf Fortress fan.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_8.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_9.png

Neo takes in the view as he heads under the house. Jeez, Spencer's been busy! I hope his house doesn't collapse, given how drastically he's compromised its foundation.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_10.png

Seriously, how long has this guy been at this? Years?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_11.png

He's even dug a hole out to... the gaping void? Oh no, Neo's found the edge of The Matrix! The machines haven't programmed anything past this point yet! Run!

Or, you know, it could just be a dried-up lake.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_12.png

Neo recaps the last part for Spencer, leaving out the details of Club Ice Pyramid's owner's arrow fetish.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_13.png

That just came out of nowhere.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_14.png

...And he apparently left it where he found it too. Why?

Sky Render
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_15.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_16.png

Captain Mac has issues. Most of them hat-related, I'm guessing.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_17.png

...How? The ship is clearly dry-docked further to the west of your little cave. Idiot.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_18.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_19.png

Aha, there we go! And conveniently enough, the Focus Tower is our next destination anyway, so we can get it on the way! Score!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_20.png

Um, thanks for telling me? Yes, this is what passes for a "go there next" moment in this game. Pretty lame.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_21.png

Yeah, I hate aquifers too. That's why I never embark near one. Stupid Dwarves always manage to drown themselves in them without fail.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_22.png

Aww, Phoebe won't be joining us. Oh well, if the track record is any indicator, some foxy babe will be joining Neo as soon as he reaches Fireburg anyway.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_23.png

A new path cleared when the ice melted, loaded with battlefields. And you know what THAT means..

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_24.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_25.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_26.png

This happens to me every single time when Neo gets confused. Don't you just love Anti-Luck?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_27.png

Now THAT will come in handy!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_28.png

Battlefield #2 is far less impressive or useful. Anyway, onwards to the new floor of the Focus Tower!

Sky Render
08-17-2010, 09:50 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_29.png

Cloud!Morpheus read the script, methinks. How does he even know that?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_30.png

What a weird name for a lady.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_31.png

This guy spouts more non-sequiturs than Zanthia from Legend of Kyrandia: The Hand of Fate.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_32.png

NO REALLY! I DIDN'T KNOW CHESTS DO THAT!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_33.png

Yay more armor!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_34.png

The statue that our cumulus-riding windbag referred to can in fact be pushed.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_35.png

Man, Neo's just cleaning up today. Two new spells in one update!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_36.png

YOU MEAN DOORS OPEN TOO!? INCONCEIVABLE!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_37.png

Yeah, you have to push that statue to get past this part. Go figure.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_38.png

More battlefields! Will the fun ever stop start?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_39.png

And that is why there aren't many Jelly-type enemies in this game.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_40.png

Can't complain about free money.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_41.png

The Venus Shield blocks poison attacks. Woo!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_42.png

Heyhey, a new crest! There was a telepad for this back in Aquaria, but we'll try it later.

Sky Render
08-17-2010, 09:51 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_43.png

Three battlefields on the way to Fireburg. Five if you count the ones on the way to the upper level of the Focus Tower. That's just ridiculous.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_44.png

Okay, a crab full-nelsoning Neo was impressive, but a tree doing it? That's fucking epic!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_45.png

And that epic is followed by FAIL. Seriously, who thought giving barely more experience than two fights was a suitable reward for clearing a battlefield?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_46.png

And here we are in toasty Fireburg! Which is so hot that it even has outdoor lava pools!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_47.png

Perhaps you, Neo, the master of unlocking, will be able to use this.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_48.png

Sure enough, there's Tristan in the bar. But he won't give up the goods. Nyah.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_49.png

It'll also make you look very festive at Mardi Gras!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_50.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_51.png

Like I'm gonna say no to advanced weaponry!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_52.png

There's a teleporter in her basement which leads to the teleporter in Aquaria. How convenient! Also, very suspicious that both of the ladies willing to sell you equipment have teleporters in their basements linked to one another. Hmm...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_53.png

That sounds like a dungeon!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_54.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_55.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_56.png

And that sounds like a mission involving said dungeon!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_57.png

No, we didn't miss a line of dialogue in there, the conversation really starts like this. Most contrived script ever.

Sky Render
08-17-2010, 09:53 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_58.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_59.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_60.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_61.png

That's the most ridiculous joining sequence yet! Also, I'm disappointed that Reuben turned out to be an armored dude and not another hot chick.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_62.png

Monsters get the best of you in this game? That's a laugh!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_63.png

Sadly, our paranoid neighbor to the south who can help us solve this dilemma has locked everyone out.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_64.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_65.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_66.png

He just gave away something that dead useful? Man, Tristan is an idiot.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_67.png

Neo is always amazed at opening doors, it would seem. He's kinda stupid like that.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_68.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_69.png

Mega Grenade? That sounds REALLY useful! I bet it's complex as hell to use, though.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_70.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_71.png

*faceplant*

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_72.png

Woo, awesome! We'll have lots of fun with these next time in Mine, All Mine!

Sky Render
08-17-2010, 09:54 AM
Bonus!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_3_73.png

Hell yes! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PyEzN8ECIg)

Falselogic
08-17-2010, 10:05 AM
Yup I never made it to Fireburg as a lad because I could never figure out that block puzzle in the Focus Tower...

*face in palm*

PapillonReel
08-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Bonus!

The start of the song sounds familiar...

...! (http://www.youtubedoubler.com/?video1=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 D_PyEzN8ECIg&start1=&video2=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D w_Bd5-APPBw&start2=1&authorName=)

Deep down in Foresta right close to Focus Tower
Way back up in the woods among the wildflowers
There stood a little town built on earth and wood
Where lived a country boy named Neo B. Goode
He had trouble using magic as well as a mage
But he could swing around a sword just like singing on-stage
Go, go Neo go, go, go Neo go, go, go Neo go, go, go Neo go, go, Neo B. Goode

Captain Keene
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
Bonus!

Mystic Quest has the secret BEST music.

Sky Render
08-19-2010, 10:04 AM
Last time Neo finally got the hell out of the Aquaria region and met Reuben. Now he and Reuben are off to save Reuben's dad from the horrible volcano! But first...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_1.png

This guy sells seeds, and we will be calling him Mr. Game Breaker. Seeds restore all of your MP, and he's selling them for peanuts. Pretty much all illusion of challenge the game might have had before now is gone forever.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_2.png

Anyway, missions to save peoples' lives get put on hold for sake of a few battlefields. I mean really, what's more important: preventing catastrophic death or inflicting catastrophic death?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_3.png

That's what I thought.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_4.png

And this goes hand in hand with Neo's recent acquisition of enough seeds to plant a community garden, his first Wizard spell! Thunder is the least impressive of them, but it still packs a punch.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_5.png

Conveyor belts AND one-way elevator rides? OH FRABJUOUS DAY!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_6.png

Oh crap oh crap oh crap MOVE YOU IDIOT I'M GONNA CRASH INTO YOU!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_7.png

So yeah, we have some new enemy types in here (unsurprisingly), most of which are palette-swaps. Hell, I think ALL of them are palette-swaps. And all of them are equally as annoying as their predecessors, assuming they survive to attack. Which they usually don't.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_8.png

Man, that Cat's Claw is just getting so outdated now. If only I had a better one, maybe one that looks really cool.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_9.png

Gotta give these things credit: it's really hard to headbutt someone when your head's falling off.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_10.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_11.png

Oh goddamn it Neo!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_12.png

Whee!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_13.png

Wow, well-guarded cave. Whatever's in there must be good...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_14.png

OH YES! I got my wish!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_15.png

Yeah, you think you're such a big shot, boss of this dungeon? Well we'll see how cheerful you are after you get a faceful of claw-y death!

Sky Render
08-19-2010, 10:05 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_16.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_17.png

Reuben discovers that slashes to the face from swords three times your height in length tend to hurt a bit.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_18.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_19.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_20.png

Yeah yeah, it's a standard attack. I just love that "charred shocked character" sprite.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_21.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_22.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_23.png

Okay, that hurt. Time to pull out the big guns!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_24.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_25.png

Suck on cheerful snowmen, enemies! (I think the Blizzard spell just lost all dignity.)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_26.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_27.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_28.png

Oh zap.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_29.png

Why so serious?

Sky Render
08-19-2010, 10:06 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_30.png

Talk about a close call for healing...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_31.png

Woo, motherlode!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_32.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_33.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_34.png

Leave the flinging of dangerous explosives to Neo, Reuben. You weren't paying attention when Arion's friend taught Neo the dastardly complex mechanics of how to use Mega Grenades.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_35.png

I guess that takes care of the boulder. And also crushes anyone who was walking down the road at that moment.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_36.png

You did?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_37.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_38.png

Well that's done. Now that Arion's safe, let's see what he has to say back in Fireburg.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_39.png

I love this spell already.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_40.png

First, a detour to a newly revealed temple. Oh great, Morpheus McFloaty is here. What words of wisdom do you have for us today?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_41.png

Uh...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_42.png

Yeah, that was about my reaction too. Also, why would he ask for 10GP and then run away before you can give it to him? Worst panhandler ever.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_43.png

The teleporter leads to a hidden section of the Wintry Temple, as you can clearly see. Sadly, the chests in both temples kinda suck.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_44.png

Glad to hear he survived the zero hazards on the way back to town.

Sky Render
08-19-2010, 10:08 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_45.png

Alien ninjas are stealing all the Earth's corn?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_46.png

Oh. I was close.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_47.png

More battlefields? Ho hum.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_48.png

Ahh, ecto-scum! These guys suck. They counter physical attacks with confusion and they're splitting enemies. And anyone who's played FF3 (the real one, not FF3US) knows how annoying THAT can get.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_49.png

Gee, thanks for the paltry experience. Totally made it worth my while. Totally.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_50.png

Alright, time to scale a volcano!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_51.png

Have I ever mentioned I really hate centaur types in this game?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_52.png

And a new type of enemy to be annoying! Actually, these Cerberus look-alikes are pretty tame compared to most types.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_53.png

And here we see White, aka. Holy, aka. Fucks Enemies' Shit Up.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_54.png

White always hits all enemies, and if there's 2 or fewer enemies on screen, you pretty much win the battle instantly. Combined with the infinite supply of Seeds, Neo can basically just cast White constantly and keep downing Seeds and never have to worry about anything ever again.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_55.png

The next section's looking kinda smoggy...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_56.png

If you're surprised this area has invisible encounters, you're the only one.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_57.png

But it's okay, there's a gas mask in the next section. Which is completely useless since you have to traverse the area it'd actually be useful in first to get to it. Idiot game developers.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_58.png

Eh, who am I to complain, really?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_59.png

The boss of the volcano's rim is none other than another generic mythological terror, Medusa! Let's wreck her shit!

Sky Render
08-19-2010, 10:09 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_60.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_61.png

This is Medusa's tamest attack. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_62.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_63.png

Thank goodness Neo's immune to paralysis now!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_64.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_65.png

Damn it Neo! Now is not the time to get stoned!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_66.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_67.png

This is the inherent problem of giving bosses status-causing attacks that the player's armor is guaranteed to block.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_68.png

Nice Sinead O'Connor impression, Medusa! Very convincing!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_69.png

So now they're apparently inside the volcano. Where, inexplicably, they don't die from the extreme heat of molten rocks. Ah, RPG logic.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_70.png

Oh joy, new enemies to piss me the hell off. They use full-party fire attacks AND can petrify you! THIS IS THE BEST GIFT EVER!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_71.png

Aha, so the Lava Dome must be another nightclub! I thought I smelled undead when I stepped into this crater...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_72.png

Undead ninjas, too! And apparently they've ditched their katanas for scimitars. Weird.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_73.png

Yep, this is definitely a nightclub for the undead. Curses, Neo just has all the luck! Guess he'll have to wreck this one too.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_74.png

I hate these guys. A lot. Reuben can't one-hit them, and they often come in groups of 3 (meaning White won't instakill the whole enemy party).

Sky Render
08-19-2010, 10:10 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_75.png

I almost feel guilty fighting this type of enemy. They really have no defenses against Neo and his buddies.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_76.png

GO BACK TO THE SHADOW!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_77.png

So yeah, this dungeon is long and annoying and also irritating. This here switch is why, for the most part. If you take a wrong turn, you have to backtrack all the way here, which is basically in the opposite direction of the way forward.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_78.png

Hooray for more palette-swaps!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_79.png

Wow, this nightclub's owner really goes all out, huh? Solid gold barricades!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_80.png

So after realizing that I'd gone the right way by accident, I had to (shock!) backtrack like crazy to get some goodies. Here's goody #1: the Life spell. Cure and Heal are now both completely outdated, as it acts exactly like both of those spells.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_81.png

And here we have new headwear that makes the boss of this dungeon a lot easier to deal with since it's fire-resistant.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_82.png

Enough dilly-dallying, let's get to the slaughtering!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_83.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_84.png

Ballsy sumbitch, innee?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_85.png

Sadly for him, White can fuck HIS shit up just as easily as it can fuck his minions' shit up.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_86.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_87.png

Man I'm glad Neo grabbed that helmet. Look at that damage! Reuben is more than half dead from one shot!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_88.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_89.png

Attacks like that make me glad that Life also removes status conditions along with full-healing and reviving.

Sky Render
08-19-2010, 10:12 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_90.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_91.png

Why do they always target the ones who can't block the status conditions?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_92.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_93.png

Leave him alone!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_94.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_95.png

That the best you can do?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_96.png

He doesn't last long after that. Also, hooray for funny TOASTY! animations!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_97.png

Another undead establishment brought to its knees! Neo's good.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_98.png

Hey, it's the crystal! Again! And I think it might be made of plastic...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_99.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_100.png

Clumsy exposition, to your duties!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_101.png

The volcano's shaking. That's usually not a good sign.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_102.png

And the fastest eruption ever later, Neo and Reuben are no doubt crispy-fried dead. After all, they were standing in the heart of the volcano while it erupted.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_103.png

No wait, they're fine. Just grabbing this coin and moving on, then. Next time we'll begin the arduous treck to Windia in Run, Forest, Run!

Bonus!

This is why you never diss Mystic Quest's music, baby! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pbFopEtI5Y)

Octopus Prime
08-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Last time Neo finally got the hell out of the Aquaria region and met Reuben. Now he and Reuben are off to save Reuben's dad from the horrible volcano! But first...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_1.png

This guy sells seeds, and we will be calling him Mr. Game Breaker. Seeds restore all of your MP, and he's selling them for peanuts. Pretty much all illusion of challenge the game might have had before now is gone forever.

Before this, the illusion was the kind where the magician would kindly ask that you turn around for a moment while he made something appear.

StrawberryChrist
08-19-2010, 01:03 PM
There's a lot of pointless treasure in this game, but unlike real FF games they at least put the skippable crap in those boring crates rather than in ornate treasure chests.

Pajaro Pete
08-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Yeah, for a second there I was like, "Why isn't he showing us what's inside all these chests?" and then I remembered that what you find in those chests are completely worthless.

Medusa looked better when she was rocking The Rachel.

Falselogic
08-19-2010, 01:28 PM
This game's music is really great. Who was the composer? and why haven't they done more things like this since?

Sky Render
08-19-2010, 01:41 PM
The composer was Ryuji Sasai, who left Squaresoft back in 1998. He also composed the music for SaGa 3 (aka. FF Legend 3), Treasure of the Rudras, Tobal No. 1, and Bushido Blade 2. He's now a bassist for a Queen tribute band called Queen Mania.

Falselogic
08-19-2010, 01:42 PM
The composer was Ryuji Sasai, who left Squaresoft back in 1998. He also composed the music for SaGa 3 (aka. FF Legend 3), Treasure of the Rudras, Tobal No. 1, and Bushido Blade 2. He's now a bassist for a Queen tribute band called Queen Mania.

Where he is going to waste! I've got Treasure of the Rudras though... I should play that.

Once I have a computer.

StrawberryChrist
08-19-2010, 05:32 PM

Gee, who could have ever guessed that the guy who wrote the music for Mystic Quest and Treasure of the Rudras is a fan of Queen.

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 09:32 AM
While pondering the logistics of having an undead nightclub in the core of a volcano, Neo and Reuben make their way towards the town of Windia. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess that this town is known for, hmm... earthquakes? No, that'd be STUPID!

♪♪ World Map (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXRegtq6R1U) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_1.png

Looks like we have another battlefield to fight on!

♪♪ Battle! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjT0PCv-cnA) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_2.png

The gimmick here is that every fight gives the enemy an ambush. Which is very, VERY bad when they come in groups of 2 and often include 2 Sthenos (those Medusa clones). More than a few fights ended with instant petrification of both Neo and Reuben.

♪♪ Victory! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBhBKtGkg0g) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_3.png

Unsurprisingly, the reward is entirely not worth it, too. Though now would be a good time to go back to Fireburg and restock on seeds...

♪♪ Firey Fireburg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE47V4gJszY) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_4.png

How a random NPC in Fireburg knows this is beyond me.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_5.png

There we go, game broken again.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_6.png

You know, I think Mystic Quest is the only RPG where people are HAPPY that a volcano erupts...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_7.png

Well, he IS the One.

♪♪ Focus Tower (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYdFRyFA5IA) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_8.png

Unfortunately, being the One does not ensure that he's not pants-crappingly stupid.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_9.png

Damn it, Morpheus, you're supposed to be Neo's guide, not a broken record!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_10.png

This new path looks ominous. Where does it lead?

♪♪ Doom Castle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZYTLUk7Nwk) ♪♪ (Your world is officially rocked. You're welcome.)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_11.png

Whoa, Doom freaking Castle!? That sounds dangerous!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_12.png

Whoa holy crap, the enemies here are hardcore too! The Shadow enemy can self-destruct, and of course the other two are nothing to laugh at either.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_13.png

Not that this stops Neo. Because... well, you know why. And now he has the last Black magic spell! Which is surprisingly useful, actually...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_14.png

The mysterious Doom Castle is largely inaccessible at this point, so we have to leave for now and head outside to this long rope bridge.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_15.png

How do you pronounce !! anyway?

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 09:37 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_16.png

This should be awesome. Go Reuben go!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_17.png

...What the hell, Reuben. What the hell.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_18.png

Neo's gotta do everything, I swear...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_19.png

Hey, no fair! I want out of this game too!

♪♪ Rock Theme (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvzxcNhGn-Q) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_20.png

Where IS that jazz music coming from, anyway?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_21.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_22.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_23.png

Aha, it's our old pal Tristam! How contrivedly convenient that he just so happened to be nearby to join us!

♪♪ Welcome to the Party! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mw2JP2PP0Y) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_24.png

Hehe, I know. Thank you for reminding me. (Sadly, you can never come back here later, so we do not actually have an infinite source of easy free seeds).

♪♪ Forest Dungeon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k20tBiQeOEc) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_25.png

The bridge led here. Well, it looks a lot healthier than the Level Forest did, at least.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_26.png

More ecto-scum? CALLOO CALLAY!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_27.png

What kind of psychopath puts a telepad on top of a tree stump?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_28.png

Oh, and there's the telepad leading to it. Convenient!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_29.png

And another one! Seriously, this forest is WEIRD.

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 09:39 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_30.png

Further in the forest, Neo finds PURE METAL AWESOME! Yeah, a super-sized axe! Let's defoliate the forest!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_31.png

Malcolm the Jester, eat your heart out!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_32.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_33.png

Man, there sure are a lot of teleporters in this forest...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_34.png

Sadly, they just lead to mediocre crap as usual.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_35.png

...Neo's talking to a tree.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_36.png

And he's amazed it doesn't respond, too! He's finally snapped, folks.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_37.png

Given how Neo just cut down every single sapling in the forest, I can't imagine why!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_38.png

1.) No, and you're an idiot for asking. 2.) How the HELL did you know Kaeli's name. 3.) Lemon curry?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_39.png

Oh joy, that means we get to backtrack!

♪♪ Peaceful Town (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKEUJ2pHIYg) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_40.png

Or rather I do and you get to enjoy not having to watch me arduously trek the whole way back. And apparently it's Kaeli's nap time, so we'll have to wait on re-recruiting her. Yeah, no hurry, just the fate of the entire world at stake here. You just get your beauty sleep, Kaeli!

♪♪ Dungeon and Waterfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL2iPJw5U2w) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_41.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_42.png

Wow, so Spencer is even BIGGER of an idiot than we thought! Not only can he not reach Captain Mac from here, but he KNOWS it and keeps going anyway!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_43.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_44.png

Wow, with friends like these...

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_45.png

That looks like fun and I want some of that.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_46.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_47.png

Woo, finally got the claw that Tristam took in the Bone Dungeon nightclub! Hard to believe he just gave it to Neo.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_48.png

I can't see this ending well at all.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_49.png

It did not, unsurprisingly. Well, no big loss. That just means that the tunnel to Captain Mac that wasn't going to reach him anyway is now sealed off.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_50.png

I love this thing so much.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_51.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_52.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_53.png

Yeah, Neo's just that much of a pimp-dady. The ladies come with him without question!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_54.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_55.png

Hooray for early 90s Nintendo censorship! Yeah, Neo's gonna "whack" those monsters, all right. Bow-chicka-bow-bow.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_56.png

Why am I reminded of the Deku Tree all of a sudden?

♪♪ Forest Dungeon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k20tBiQeOEc) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_57.png

Fortunately, the Great Tree is not infested with enormous nightmare-inducing spiders, but rather with worms, skeletons, dollops of acid, and tree frogs. You know, exactly the sort of thing trees normally get infested with!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_58.png

Oh, and scorpions and other trees! Can't forget those! ...Were the developers of this game on crack or something?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_59.png

Have I mentioned yet that I love this thing so much?

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 09:42 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_60.png

These doors open only when you jab them with your sword. It doesn't make much sense, but that's Mystic Quest for ya.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_61.png

Ah, here we have our aforementioned worms and tree frogs. Surprisingly, most everything in this tree is weak against wind, so a double volley of Aero can win most fights.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_62.png

About half the tree is made up of these mushroom forests, which can of course be hacked down with the axe. Ho-hum.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_63.png

Aka. Really Fucks Enemies' Shit Up. For some reason, Meteor is earth-elemental.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_64.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_65.png

Not like it matters. Flaming death from the sky is still flaming death from the sky no matter what element it pretends to be.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_66.png

Love this thing...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_67.png

This part of the tree is quite grind-worthy. The worms are ludicrously weak against wind and provide the spice which controls the universe.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_68.png

Unfortunately they're sometimes accompanied by these metal blobs, who reflect all spells back at the caster. Bastards!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_69.png

The vines all over the place provide a quick emergency exit to the lower floors, and this one in particular actually also leads to the next part of the dungeon.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_70.png

A climbing-wall puzzle in a dungeon right after getting a new claw type!? INCONCEIVABLE!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_71.png

Yeah, these bone-daddies are less than impressive too.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_72.png

And there's a whole FLOOR of them to wax! Hooray more grinding!

♪♪ Boss Fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ0KilHkxFk) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_73.png

And now, the epic showdown of epicness! (And showdowns!) Against... wait, didn't we fight a palette-swap of this guy in that little cul-de-sac of Doom Castle?

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 09:44 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_74.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_75.png

This always hits me 3 times. I have the Anti-Luck, remember?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_76.png

On the other hand, I also have Meteor to your face, bitch!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_77.png

Oh that's just great. Another enemy who can petrify me.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_78.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_79.png

Something seems a bit off about an enemy weak vs. wind using a wind attack. Isn't that kind of like a fire-breathing dragon tossing giant icicles at you?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_80.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_81.png

Well that's awfully nice of him!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_82.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_83.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_84.png

Yes, the trees down there do spell out "GO ON KID!!" (or possibly "GOON KID!!"). I guess Tristam is an arborist now?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_85.png

The forests of Fangorn are moving!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_86.png

Gotta love that spell. Also, we're one spell away from catching them all! Woo!

♪♪ Shrine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFx9FIfFW9Q) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_87.png

Oh look, another temple! I wonder if that means we'll find Morpheus McCloud here?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_88.png

It does! And he's still spouting useless advice! He's just the best guide ever, huh?

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 09:45 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_89.png

Ah great, more battlefields...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_90.png

Is the water hag gonna have to choke a bitch!?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_91.png

I am underwhelmed.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_92.png

Ack, more undead! Also, I HATE it when enemies do that. They see nothing wrong with curing exactly the right person on the turn you brought that character down to critical HP. What are they, fucking clairvoyant?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_93.png

They must've been running out of ideas for battlefields right around here...

♪♪ Windia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0fzYg1CFk) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_94.png

At last, we reach Windia! And next time we'll no doubt be helping the locals, in Being the Hero Blows!

Bonus!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_95.png

So there ARE Chocobos in this game! As windvanes. Well that's cleared that up.

StrawberryChrist
08-21-2010, 12:05 PM
How do you pronounce !! anyway?

If I remember the Matrix movies correctly (I don't, because I haven't seen all of them) Neo pronounces this perfectly several times.

RT-55J
08-21-2010, 12:59 PM
♪♪ Doom Castle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZYTLUk7Nwk) ♪♪ (Your world is officially rocked. You're welcome.)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_5_11.png

Best screen in the game.

Sky Render
08-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Last time Neo's party got switched out practically every 5 minutes as Reuben left, Tristam re-joined and almost immediately left, and Kaeli re-joined after getting a nice little nap in. There was also an arduous trek involved, but that's not important. What is important is that they've finally reached the windy city of Chicago Windia!

♪♪ Windia (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK0fzYg1CFk) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_1.png

Jeez, can't even get 2 feet into town before the next plot point is foreshadowed...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_2.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_3.png

That price has to be a typo. It HAS to be. Nothing this awesome could be that cheap. It makes Neo confuse-proof (finally)!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_4.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_5.png

You whippersnappers these days! Why back when I was a little The One, I would play in gale-force weather and I liked it!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_6.png

Hmm, another mysterious teleportation emblem. We have no infinity or mobius or whatever crest, though.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_7.png

I've got about 90 of the damned things stocked up, so I think I'll live.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_8.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_9.png

So wait, some random NPC in Windia has a teleporter to the docks in his basement?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_10.png

Huh, so he does. And sure enough, it needs that crest we don't have that is apparently in Spencer's Place. Which Fey... er, Phoebe blew up. Damn it, Phoebe!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_11.png

It was invaded by the Assyrian king of wind demons? That's pretty unexpected.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_12.png

"Right now I'm Bob. Otto will be back in an hour."

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_13.png

It's called Multiple Personality Disorder, Neo. Look it up.

Sky Render
08-23-2010, 09:38 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_14.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_15.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_16.png

Sucks. Look, I have to admit, I don't care. Can you just tell me where the Wind Crystal is?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_17.png

That's a stupid suggestion and you're stupid for suggesting it, Karen. I mean Kaeli.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_18.png

Only if you promise me you'll get some psychiatric help while we're away, "Bob".

♪♪ Shrine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFx9FIfFW9Q) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_19.png

Oh joy, a new temple.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_20.png

Which is totally empty save for a useless chest. What a windhole.

♪♪ Mountain of Winds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRCHApsH0xo) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_21.png

This CAN'T be the local nightclub. I mean yeah, the last one was in a volcano, but seriously!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_22.png

Practically no monsters are partying here! Oh well, The One has to do what The One has to do...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_23.png

I suppose if this WERE a nightclub, that'd be the owner over there. Naturally, Neo has to take the long way around.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_24.png

Even the treasures here suck. The Apollo Helm's only feature over the Moon Helm is that it provides a measly 6 more defense. Woo.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_25.png

See? Told ya. This is a decoy nightclub run by the Merovingian Dullahan.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_26.png

I'm not scared of you OR your undead Twins! Show me your best move, horse boy!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_27.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_28.png

Yikes. I guess that was his best move.

Sky Render
08-23-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_29.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_30.png

And that would be his worst. Pathetic, mate.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_31.png

I love doing that.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_32.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_33.png

Sending Neo off to see the Train Man won't save you this time!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_34.png

This could take a while...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_35.png

Or it could be instantaneous. How convenient, we didn't even need a Staff of Rain or the Rainbow Drops!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_36.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_37.png

That is one wonky elevator system you built, Otto. Or was it Bob's design?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_38.png

I'll consider it, if she's only, like, 10 steps in or something.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_39.png

Now THIS looks like a proper nightclub. I bet it's packed!

♪♪ Mountain of Winds (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRCHApsH0xo) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_40.png

Hey look, it's that kid Norma. She really was about 10 steps in. Damn it!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_41.png

Back in Windia, Otto doesn't even thank us. He just lies to us, since the wind died down already. Liar!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_42.png

You're not welcome.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_43.png

Is everyone in this town a nutcase? You're not Batman, kid, get off the roof! How the hell did you get up here in the first place?

Sky Render
08-23-2010, 09:41 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_44.png

You might appreciate it here, but if the wind dies down in some places, that means the Ohmu are about to attack. And that would be bad.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_45.png

Oh good, granny can go back to selling seeds for shillings. May as well restock! (Because, you know, 88 of them can't possibly carry Neo through the rest of the game, right?)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_46.png

Back to Pazuzu's Tower! Sure enough, the tower's packed with new patrons. These being the least impressive, since they're stupidly weak against wind. See what I meant when I said Aero was surprisingly useful?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_47.png

I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE these things. They reflect magic, they're only explicitly weak to bombs (which have in the intervening levels become Neo's worst weapons), AND they cause Blind status. Thanks, Squaresoft. Thanks.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_48.png

Wow, the owner of the nightclub is here already. Let's get ready to rumble!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_49.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_50.png

We won without a fight? Oh wait, that must be the nightclub's weirdly designed elevator, nevermind.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_51.png

More mythological palette-swaps with annoying abilities. I liked it better when you guys were trying to confuse Neo all the time, to be honest.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_52.png

Our palette-swapped buddy from the mysterious Doom Castle cul-de-sac returns!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_53.png

Man, this place is just LOADED from top to bottom with patrons. I think this might be the main nightclub of this whole franchise of evil undead nightclubs!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_54.png

Ha ha, you mages are so pathetic.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_55.png

So there you are! Let's rumble, Pazuzu!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_56.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_57.png

Come back here you coward!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_58.png

Neo's gotten all the way to the roof and still no sign of any switches. Damn you, Otto!

Sky Render
08-23-2010, 09:43 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_59.png

On the way back down the tower from the other side, he runs into new baddies. Who really don't stand much of a chance, just like the rest.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_60.png

Aka. Fucks Enemies' Shit Up Like No Other.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_61.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_62.png

This often does 2000+ damage per hit to bosses. It's made of win.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_63.png

Finally, one of those elusive switches! That's one down, and presumably 3 to go!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_64.png

You don't scare me now. I have wind and fire on my side!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_65.png

Holy crapcakes! Who the hell stuck King Arthur's sword in a chest!? And Neo can use it, meaning he's not only The One, but also the rightful king of England! ...Too bad this isn't Earth, huh?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_66.png

Anyway, King Neo has finally cornered our Assyrian menace. Now it is ON!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_67.png

I already had. Who's Captain Mac again?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_68.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_69.png

Ouchuchuwawa! This guy doesn't mess around, huh?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_70.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_71.png

Fortunately, Flare fucks his shit up good, as does Aero. What kind of pathetic wind demon king is weak against his own damn element?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_72.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_73.png

This blows.

Sky Render
08-23-2010, 09:45 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_74.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_75.png

Wait, you mean status-causing skills can fail to cause status ailments!? Damn you, Anti-Luck! Damn you to HELL!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_76.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_77.png

I'm sure that's just a fancy way of showing off. Eat Flare, prehistoric wind demon!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_78.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_79.png

...Yeah, I should've seen that one coming.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_80.png

Thank goodness!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_81.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_82.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_83.png

Yes, this attack can hit for critical damage, if you're unlucky. And as we've established, I have the Anti-Luck!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_84.png

Of course, I also have the flaming thermonuclear explosion to your crotch (that sounds like a euphamism for chlamydia, doesn't it?), so I win regardless.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_85.png

Your days of running nightclubs and running away are over, Pazuzu!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_86.png

And suddenly the elevator is working right again! Um, I guess Pazuzu was a load-bearing boss for the switches?

♪♪ The Crystal! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdHP3kD1I38) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_87.png

It's the crystal! Yet again! And it really IS made of plastic!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_6_88.png

If you're surprised there's a coin here, you don't have very good pattern recognition skills, do you? Also, Kaeli sure has been quiet all this time. I miss Lock... sorry, Tristam.

Come back next time, as we re-join with Red... damn it, Reuben! Anyway, we'll be doing the party shuffle again as Zash... er, Neo, makes a daring rescue mission in Operation Captain Cap!

Bonus!

There's plenty of music I didn't share before, so here's the rest that won't be making a re-appearance!

♪♪ Hill of Destiny (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC-pP3J6DSw) ♪♪
♪♪ Bone Dungeon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILIZrtiP8qs) ♪♪
♪♪ Ice Pyramid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVoQRZkDMj8) ♪♪

Sanagi
08-23-2010, 01:22 PM
That whole dungeon is infuriating. It's probably the only part of the game that qualifies as "hard" in any sense of the word.

Speaking of which, people may complain that MQ is too easy, but I could really get behind more RPGs having that simple "retry" option after death.

McClain
08-23-2010, 01:29 PM
Speaking of which, people may complain that MQ is too easy, but I could really get behind more RPGs having that simple "retry" option after death.

FFXIII = MQ?

Brickroad
08-23-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't think I ever really understood how Pazuzu's Tower worked. I just kind of plugged away at it until I won.

Octopus Prime
08-23-2010, 02:11 PM
My first time playing MQ I was stalled at that dang elevator tower.

It is not a nice place.

Sky Render
08-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Mystic Quest follows dungeon design tropes to a T. Pazuzu's Tower in particular follows the "travel it twice" trope, where you traverse a dungeon all the way to what is quite obviously the last part of it (in this case the roof), then have to re-traverse the entire dungeon in reverse from a different exit to complete it. It is incredibly frustrating the first time around since you have zero indicator that the tower does have two "sides" to it, and it just seems like the game's fucking with you when you reach the roof and haven't found a single elevator switch.

And yes, I do hate the enemies in Pazuzu's tower, mostly the eyeballs. Those things have to be the meanest enemies in the game by a wide margin, what with their ability to reflect all spells AND blind your characters at will. Woe betide the player who hasn't kept the hero's equipment up to date...

RT-55J
08-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Pazuzu's Tower used to always confuse me until my last playthrough.

I was like "Whoa" when I finally got it.

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Things are progressing swiftly! All four crystals have been saved from all four of the foul undead nightclubs, so surely the world must be saved now, right?

♪♪ Peaceful Town (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKEUJ2pHIYg) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_1.png

See, even NPC McRandomChick here agrees with me.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_2.png

Oh right, that one guy who's been mentioned a dozen times since Foresta. Also, that's so typical of Spencer, shrugging off his duties onto others.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_3.png

A fantastic new way to break your kneecaps?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_4.png

That... doesn't make ANY goddamn sense. How can a fall to the BOTTOM of a cliff lead to a stairway to the TOP of a tower that's TALLER THAN THE FUCKING SKY? Shut up, Red Reuben, you're an idiot.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_5.png

Shh, quiet! Bob Otto has come up with an ingenius new invention!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_6.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_7.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_8.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_9.png

Sounds like a daring plan! And also an incredibly stupid plan, but that's hardly a first for this game.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_10.png

Oh how convenient! I look forward to another long dungeon crawl, he lied.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_11.png

Oh right, gotta get rid of the previous dungeon's help somehow. Go babysit, Karen Kaeli.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_12.png

Don't just accept this, woman! You've been in that Focus Tower just as much as Reuben!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_13.png

Alright, fine. I guess the plot takes precedence over logic.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_14.png

Jeez, you fall off one stinking time, and everyone acts like you're gonna do it again from then on...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_15.png

Sure thing! Shall I "take care of him" with the sword, axe, claw, or high-powered explosives?

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 10:44 AM
♪♪ Firey Fireburg (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rE47V4gJszY) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_16.png

One long backtrack later, we're back in Fireburg. Oh boy, does that mean we get to go spelunking with Arion!? Excellent, this'll be awesome!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_17.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_18.png

Laaaaaaaaaaame.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_19.png

More like we got handed some Thunder Rock in a weak attempt to lengthen the game with 10 minutes of backtracking, but yes.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_20.png

What, that was it? Well, I guess I can't complain. The game's trying to get this over with, why should I be mad?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_21.png

Believe it or not I'm walkin' on air,
Never thought I could feel so free!

♪♪ Dungeon and Waterfall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL2iPJw5U2w) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_22.png

High-powered explosives again? Reuben, seriously, let Neo handle this. He is The One, after all, he knows how to handle this way better than you.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_23.png

Oh goddamn it!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_24.png

Well, at least it worked. Improbably enough.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_25.png

Priorities, dear boy! We have other business here!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_26.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_27.png

To wit!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_28.png

Finally, the last crest! Now we can access some disappointing brown chests in the Alive Forest, a teleporter between Windia and Fireburg (that would have been useful 15 MINUTES AGO), and most importantly, the ship docks!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_29.png

Seeing as it was a vast gaping black void before, just about anything's an improvement.

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 10:45 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_30.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_31.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_32.png

The saddest part of all this is, if you don't talk to Kaeli and get this hat before going onto the ship, the game will not continue when you reach Captain Mac. And yes, I have done just that before, thanks for asking!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_33.png

One trip to some random old guy's basement later, here we are!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_34.png

It really is in the middle of nowhere, as you can clearly see.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_35.png

Let's board this bad boy!

♪♪ Bone Dungeon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILIZrtiP8qs) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_36.png

The ship is littered with palette-swapped baddies, naturally. All of them, oddly enough, from Pazuzu's Tower...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_37.png

This dungeon is deceptively yet annoyingly short. All you have to do is climb the mains'l and shimmy your way down to a blocked-off section. But there's a monster-laden dungeon all over the rest of the ship that I traversed anyway since Neo could use the levels.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_38.png
Down on the bilge deck, Neo finds the best regular armor of the game!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_39.png

At last! Back, foul Hat Demons, back! Oh wait, that was ChocoboKick's joke, nevermind.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_40.png

The Vikings lost the Super Bowl?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_41.png

Oh yeah, that ninnyhammer who got mentioned about, hm... once, during the intro? What about him, Cap?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_42.png

Guess we'll have to wait until we get back to Windia, then.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_43.png

Damn it, Neo! I know Reuben's annoying, but you didn't have to KILL him!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_44.png

That sounds suspiciously like an excuse for why you can't come along with me through the next dungeon...

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 10:48 AM

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_45.png

I know that song...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_46.png

"She wanted to tell you you're an irresponsible jackass, and then she was going to slap you. Mind if I do it for her?"

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_47.png

Of course she does. I told you, no woman can resist Neo's charms.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_48.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_49.png

Later, goons! Hope you join me for the last dungeon, Lock Tristam! That'd be sweet, especially with that anti-instant-death robe of yours...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_50.png

He is? Also, why are you telling Phoebe this?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_51.png

He is! I didn't even notice before.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_52.png

No seriously, I didn't even notice before. He wasn't having problems in battle or anything. What a contrived excuse to get a party member out of the party!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_53.png

"Turns out the whole thing was made up by Morpheus McCloud on a drug trip. Are you really surprised?"

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_54.png

Wait, why is she joining him? Is he just that attractive to her? Whatever, let's get on with it.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_55.png

It's good to know that that particular plot cul-de-sac is complete, then.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_56.png

Reuben's jealous of Neo's lady appeal, methinks.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_57.png

"'And lo, the hero shall take everyone out for ice cream sundaes, making sure to give Captain Mac extra!' No really, that's what it says! Would I lie to you?"

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_58.png

I like my version better.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_59.png

He must be hiding somewhere really odd, as we've scoured that tower from top to bottom and didn't see anything like that. What, is there a hidden entrance?

...Oh yeah, there is, huh?

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 10:50 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_60.png

Why did you put an A button on your steering wheel?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_61.png

Who cares? We're sailing away! To the Focus Tower's hidden stairway to heaven!

♪♪ Doom Castle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZYTLUk7Nwk) ♪♪ (Your world has officially been rocked... again. You're welcome... again.)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_62.png

Whoa holy shit Doom Castle!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_63.png

There are literally no new enemies in this place. All we see are palette-swaps of older enemies and those annoying Shadow bastards (the ones who like to self-destruct and cause instant death, remember?).

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_64.png

I don't think I've mentioned before that I love this thing.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_65.png

Woo, last piece of armor!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_66.png

This shield wins on policy since it prevents petrification. Also, I just wanted to show off the full armor screen.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_67.png

That guy looks familiar...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_68.png

Gasp! It's Flamerus Rex's undead clone! That must mean that THIS is the ultimate nightclub!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_69.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_70.png

I love this shield already.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_71.png

*psst* It's spelled Poison FLOWER, Mr. Woolsey! Though I admit it's hilarious to think that this guy just spread a bunch of cyanide-laced wheat flour on Phoebe.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_72.png

Your ass is going DOWN, bone daddy!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_73.png

BOOMHEADSHOT!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_74.png

Yes, Neo, doors do that. Some day your strange fascination with this fact will fade. I hope.

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_75.png

Oh boy... Through that door is more of DOOM CASTLE (with extra doom)! As you can see, this is a palette-swap of the Ice Pyramid.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_76.png

I. Love. This. Thing.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_77.png

You will be unsurprised to hear that this clone-dungeon mostly involves whacking switches with your sword and grappling about like Link from the later Zelda games.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_78.png

Hehehe, poor Ice Golem. He gets a lonely little cubicle in the back, while his buddies all get a prominently featured perch. Sucks to be you, Ice Golem!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_79.png

Or... Stone Golem. Whatever! He's wised up and made himself strong against fire, too.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_80.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_81.png

You know, I bet it sucks to be one of the enemies or bosses fighting Neo at this point. He just blocks everything.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_82.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_83.png

Case in point.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_84.png

I'm sure he's happy he can still damage Fey Phoebe, though.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_85.png

He exploded too!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_86.png

Every time you clear one of these mini-dungeons, those weird gray blocks blocking the way forward vanish.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_87.png

And here's the Lava Dome clone-dungeon! Bet you saw that one coming!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_88.png

Bet you saw the boss coming too!

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 10:52 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_89.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_90.png

Bet the boss wishes he'd seen that one coming!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_91.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_92.png

It really sucks to be a monster sometimes.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_93.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_94.png

I mean REALLY sucks.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_95.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_96.png

He didn't even put up much of a fight after that.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_97.png

Foregone conclusion, really. Alright, 3 down, 1 to go!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_98.png

I hate this floor. You can (and will) fall off the edges back down to the Lava Dome floor if you don't watch your step.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_99.png

Bring it, Pazuzu clone-boy!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_100.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_101.png

Am I supposed to be impressed?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_102.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_103.png

For once my Anti-Luck did NOT kick in! Hooray!

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 10:53 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_104.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_105.png

Yeah, much like his predecessor, bird-boy here doesn't last long to multiple facefuls of Flare and Holy.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_106.png

That's what you get for opposing The One, bitch!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_107.png

??, indeed. It's the Japanese version's boxart in sprite form!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_108.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_109.png

Free loot, woot!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_110.png

Each box contains something like 20 items of a type. This is the only one of any use, naturally.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_111.png

This is it. The big one. The end of the line. And we'll be tackling it in Real Ultimate Epic Showdown of Power! Next time, of course.

Bonus!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_112.png

How pathetic a hellhound do you have to be to be weak against fire when your main attack is spitting fire?

...Yeah, I got nothin'. But I will next time!

Falselogic
08-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Thanks again Sky Render. I'm finally going to see the end of this game! Please tell me the last boss isn't a palette swap though...

Lucas
08-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Of course it's not a palette swap. It's three palette swaps put together.

Octopus Prime
08-25-2010, 11:21 AM
Are you going to fight the Dark King in teh way of cowards, or of heroes?

I CAN NOT WAIT TO LEARN THE TRUTH!

ProfessorS
08-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I forgot how ridiculously short this game was. Wow.

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 12:01 PM
I forgot how ridiculously short this game was. Wow.

Yeah, I know. Gameplay-wise, there's about 10 hours in there if you're grind-happy. Story-wise, most episodes of Gilligan's Island were longer. And more coherent, for that matter.

For those speculating on the coming epic showdown, until the next update, IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.

Ted
08-25-2010, 02:04 PM
For those speculating on the coming epic showdown, until the next update, IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.

I speculate that the Dark King is actually the game's composer, who was consumed by the flames of bitterness at having his great tunes applied to a lackluster game.

Stiv
08-25-2010, 06:06 PM
I actually kind of enjoy Mystic Quest. It's a fun way to spend a couple of afternoons.

McClain
08-25-2010, 06:36 PM
I seem to remember the final boss being pathetically easy. In fact, any challenge in this game I remember being way front loaded, because of status effects, which you are mostly immune to by the end of the game.

Sky Render
08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
I seem to remember the final boss being pathetically easy. In fact, any challenge in this game I remember being way front loaded, because of status effects, which you are mostly immune to by the end of the game.

Boy ain't that the truth. About half the boss fight shots of this latest part were showcasing that Neo's basically immune to everything now. That said, the last boss can still mess him up good, and Phoebe isn't nearly as well-endowed with immunities.

ThricebornPhoenix
08-26-2010, 12:45 AM
I love how half of the posts in this LP are about how pathetically easy the game is, and the other half are about how dangerous or annoying certain enemies are.

This dungeon is deceptively yet annoyingly short. All you have to do is climb the mains'l and shimmy your way down to a blocked-off section.
I couldn't finish the game when I first played it because I didn't know you could do that, and I didn't have a lot of time to figure it out since it was a rental.

Kishi
08-26-2010, 12:49 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_79.png

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_80.png

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_82.png

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_7_84.png

It's always been unacceptable to me that the Stone Golem still melts.

Octopus Prime
08-26-2010, 03:41 AM

I always assumed that all my attacks hit a sensational temperature.

Ted
08-26-2010, 05:53 AM
I actually kind of enjoy Mystic Quest. It's a fun way to spend a couple of afternoons.

Agreed. It's particular lack of luster makes it endearing. And it was my first SNES RPG, so it's always had a special place in my heart. And this was the game to make me think "Hmm, video game music can stand on it's own." I filled up both sides of a 45-minute cassette with the waterfall cave music. I guess I was into ambient before I knew what it was.

Other things Mystic Quest got right, in my book:

Visible enemies / no random encounters
An indication of enemy health (via cool sprite changes! That's right, Medusa; I'm talkin' to you, baldy!)
Did I mention the soundtrack?

Who knows; now that I'm old and crusty and not looking for super-long games, I might enjoy the streamlined gameplay even more. It might be time to fire it up again!

Sky Render: thanks for stirring up some good memories!

Captain Keene
08-26-2010, 07:30 AM

If you were being struck by unrestrained thermonuclear reactions you would melt too.

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 08:19 AM

It is pretty silly, yes. But then, Mystic Quest is all about the recycling of sprites, even to the detriment of the visual effects! Or maybe he's actually the Nome King from Return to Oz?

Ted
08-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Or maybe he's actually the Nome King from Return to Oz?

That movie still creeps me out.

Walliard
08-26-2010, 05:58 PM

Maybe it's some sort of fantasy stone type with a really low melting point.

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 09:03 PM
It's down to the big confrontation. The One vs. The Dark King. Let's get ready to rumble! But what's this? The Dark King has a hammy speech prepared for Neo!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_1.png

"Have you ever had a dream, Neo, that you were so sure was real?"

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_2.png

"What if you were unable to wake from the dream, Neo?"

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_3.png

"How would you know the difference between the dream and the real world?"

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_4.png

"Yes, Neo, your entire existence is a lie! Welcome to the Matrix, bitch! I'm the Dark King, Agent Smith, and I'm here to delete you!"

♪♪ Dark King Battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORMeyEOmQaQ) ♪♪ (Your world is rocked all over again. You're welcome.)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_5.png

Just about everyone who's ever heard anything about this game knows that you can punk this guy out with 3 or 4 castings of Cure. But we're gonna get medieval on his ass instead, because Neo's hardcore and that's how he rolls!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_6.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_7.png

The Dark King opens with his weakest move. Which is an especially funny attack when you consider that physical hits are basically useless by this point compared to belting out rapid-fire Flare and White.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_8.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_9.png

Oh, you're gonna reveal your true form already? Alright, bring it!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_10.png

Holy shit! Agent Smith does NOT fuck around!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_11.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_12.png

I didn't even think you could get weapons mods like that in the Matrix!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_13.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_14.png

Do not fuck with Agent Smith, he will end your ass. He can make an earthquake with an AXE, baby!

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 09:04 PM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_15.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_16.png

This guy's an elemental force to be reckoned with!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_17.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_18.png

Poor Phoebe is not going to survive this fight gracefully...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_19.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_20.png

Then again, neither is Neo.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_21.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_22.png

Please let it be a giant Tribble oh please oh please oh please...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_23.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_24.png

AAAHHH HOLY FUCK GIANT SPIDER RUN! He's already beguiled Phoebe, get away while you still can, Neo!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_25.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_26.png

Oh yes, he did just give you a taste of your own medicine. Bitter, ain't it?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_27.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_28.png

Thank goodness it didn't hit Phoebe...

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 09:06 PM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_29.png

After a bit more beating on, the Dark King transforms again into... um, an octopus? Stick with the spider form, dude, it's a lot scarier.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_30.png

He also has a Mega Flare attack. It hurts. A lot.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_31.png

But not enough! Victory is ours!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_32.png

Let's celebrate by doing a little dance!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_33.png

Well look who had the balls to show up at the last minute to steal all the credit. What do you have to say for yourself, Morpheus McCloud?

♪♪ Mystic Ballad (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OclLdqCtthM) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_34.png

What... the... fu...?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_35.png

So Morpheus was a crystal all along? And now he's making rhymes like a low-budget Dr. Seuss? I don't get it.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_36.png

Yes, the world is now safe from... um, a villain who never actually actively threatened the world and let his minions do all the dirty work? In fact, weren't his nightclubs the main reason why the world wasn't swarming with the undead, because they were all too busy partying? Why were we fighting the Dark King, again?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_37.png

Actually, Neo didn't say anything yet. I guess they really wanted to get this whole thing over and done with.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_38.png

And by "sometime" he means "in about 10 seconds".

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_39.png

Not for want of trying to kill him, my dear.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_40.png

"I'm going to Disneyland!"

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_41.png

What? Why?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_42.png

Seeing as this one was pretty bland, I guess that makes sense.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_43.png

No need to get grabby, Kaeli...

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 09:07 PM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_44.png

He's totally got this handled. He's The Jesus One, remember?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_45.png

Just how long was it dry-docked for, anyway? We never did get any sort of definite time scale for how long Captain Mac was stuck on that ledge.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_46.png

Ohohoho! Kaeli's mother, ladies and gentlemen. Quite the comedian.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_47.png

But... but... WHY!? Captain Mac was saved! There's no reason to dig now! AURGH! I'm just going to assume he really IS an overzealous Dwarf Fortress fan. Yeah, woo. You go strike that earth, buddy.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_48.png

You mean the guy who's shown absolutely no loyalty has absolutely no loyalty? No!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_49.png

Dude, YOU will probably see Tristam before Spencer sees him again. Idiot.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_50.png

"This game's finally over! Let's celebrate with a Cure Potion Lite!"

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_51.png

Man, Neo just doesn't know a good offer when he sees one.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_52.png

Oh trust me, the entire world will be there to see Neo off. His leaving heralds the end of Mystic Quest, after all!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_53.png

I'd make a joke about Brooklyn accents, but ChocoboKick beat me to it ages ago. (http://www.kjorteo.net/gwritings/FFMQmst.txt)

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_54.png

How about three beers for the road instead?

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_55.png

Given how underwhelming your other inventions were, I doubt I'll be impressed.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_56.png

No. Shut up. Forever.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_57.png

Oh he will. Right over the nearest rock on the way up the path. It'll be hilarious.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_58.png

Ah, that can be interpreted in several ways...

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 09:09 PM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_59.png

Oh quit complaining, you were in the party for a grand total of 3 dungeons.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_60.png

That's exactly why I would never take you along in a million years, Spencer.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_61.png

Hehe, busted.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_62.png

I'm pretty sure he already did, actually. The world map in this game's tiny.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_63.png

For certain values of "we".

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_64.png

Gettin' awfully grabby in this ending, Kaeli...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_65.png

"Quite a lot, in fact. My aim is terrible with ship-mounted cannons."

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_66.png

You sure you don't want to reconsider, Neo? That's two hot chicks lusting after you there.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_67.png

Okay, I guess we need a dramatic ending.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_68.png

Oh no... Please, not that...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_69.png

Damn you, Tristam! You should've been by my side when I was blitzing the Dark King! Damn you to hell!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_70.png

Is it too late to throw him overboard for insubordination?

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 09:10 PM
♪♪ Ending (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrTUP4VCOdw) ♪♪

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_71.png

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest was LPed before a live forum audience.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_72.png

Special considerations provided by:

The Foresta Tourism Board: Come see the scenic Level Forest! Just because we live in tree stumps doesn't mean we're all nuts!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_73.png

And by:

Temples'R'Us: Keeping you adherent to the unspecified faith(s) of our world since the dawn of time! Please attend our services in any of our many, many sometimes inexplicably isolated locations!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_74.png

And by:

Battlefields, Ltd.: Providing experience, gold, and equipment upgrades for the wandering hero! We're having a clearance special on professionally trained wrestling trees and crabs!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_75.png

And by:

Aquaria Potions, Inc.: We can make our potions out of ANYTHING! Now hiring new employees to replace previous employees lost during "potion-mixing incidents"!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_76.png

And by:

Seeds and Stuff: Keeping your MP full and breaking your game since we set up shop in Fireburg! You know you want some.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_77.png

And by:

The Sisterhood of Deadly Weapons and Armor: For all your equipment needs! Just don't ask where we got them.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_78.png

And by:

Spencer's Excavation Services: digging tunnels is our specialty! Please note that we may will default on the contract if we hear about a treasure that exists anywhere ever which we can hunt.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_79.png

And by:

Dark King Nightclubs, LLC: Keeping your undead entertained and out of your towns! Face it, if it weren't for us, your whole world would've gone to hell decades ago!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_80.png

Neo will return as Beethoven in Mystic Quiche (http://inari.aerdan.org/letsplay/mysticquiche/)! Playing soon in a mocking fashion near you!

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Bonus!

Lots of bonus content this time!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmqus_boxart.jpghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmqj_boxart.jpg

Thematically similar, the US and European boxart has a noticeable difference from the Japanese boxart.

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmqe_cartridge.jpg

The European version's cart quite clearly shows you that the game got re-titled to Mystic Quest Legend over there. Mostly because Seiken Densetsu (aka. Final Fantasy Adventure) was re-titled to Mystic Quest in Europe. Oops!

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmqj.pnghttp://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmqg.png

The Japanese and European versions also differed noticeably from the US one. The translations for languages besides English are all based off of the Japanese script and ROM size limitations, meaning quite a bit got cut out for German and French players.

Oh, and anyone who knows the game's translator Ted Woolsey's peculiarities will be entirely unsurprised to learn that just about everything got renamed when the game got translated into English. I referenced several of these name changes in the LP proper (Kaeli = Karen, Reuben = Red, etc.).

And now, some rockin' tunes!

♪♪ Mystic Re-Quest I (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l6f4sIk-LM) ♪♪
♪♪ Mystic Re-Quest II (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnXshC0vEmo) ♪♪
♪♪ Re-Mixtic Quest (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgwSBVRVOko) ♪♪
♪♪ Battle Theme Remix (fan-made) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy-r3W92H2I) ♪♪

And that's all there is for now. Feel free to contribute other tidbits about Mystic Quest, but as for my part, this LP has concluded.

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - The End

Pajaro Pete
08-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Let's just say that the Dark King was the one who made Neo's village disappear and the mountain sink into oblivion. He was from the Village of Light or Lightville or whatever, and that was the Dark King's "region" just like the other four baddies had their own regions.

Sometimes we have to tell ourselves little white lies to get through the day.
:(

Congratulations on finally finishing this game, Mightyblue Falselogic Sky Render!

Sanagi
08-26-2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_2.png http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_8_3.png
I don't think I'd taken note of this line before. It's supposed to be one of those "I was pulling the strings all along" revelations but by this point your response is either "So what, I've beaten this whole tiny planet into submission" or "Was there a prophecy in this game?"

Anyways, great LP of a game that is slightly underrated. Play it in an emulator at superspeed and it becomes pretty fun!

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Let's just say that the Dark King was the one who made Neo's village disappear and the mountain sink into oblivion. He was from the Village of Light or Lightville or whatever, and that was the Dark King's "region" just like the other four baddies had their own regions.

Sometimes we have to tell ourselves little white lies to get through the day.
:(

That's actually fairly close to the Japanese version's story, if I remember right. The Guide outright tells Zash/Benjamin/Neo that the Dark King was the one who destroyed his village.

Congratulations on finally finishing this game, Mightyblue Falselogic Sky Render!

Thanks! And yeah, there really was bad luck abound for the LPing team of this game. But we got it done in the end!

McClain
08-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Great LP, team!

Just about everyone who's ever heard anything about this game knows that you can punk this guy out with 3 or 4 castings of Cure. But we're gonna get medieval on his ass instead, because Neo's hardcore and that's how he rolls!

I honestly didn't know about this and went and looked it up. That's pretty crazy.

Is the final boss the only cure-weak enemy in the game?

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Great LP, team!

I honestly didn't know about this and went and looked it up. That's pretty crazy.

Is the final boss the only cure-weak enemy in the game?

Nope. Just like in main-series FF games, the undead in this game also take damage from Cure. Life should also cause instant death to undead enemies, but a flag got mixed up in the US version that causes Life to insta-kill any non-undead enemy instead. Also, Cure does WAAAAAAAAY more damage to Dark King than it does to anything else in the game. We're talking 10,000+ damage per hit.

Walliard
08-26-2010, 10:41 PM
Nope. Just like in main-series FF games, the undead in this game also take damage from Cure. Life should also cause instant death to undead enemies, but a flag got mixed up in the US version that causes Life to insta-kill any non-undead enemy instead. Also, Cure does WAAAAAAAAY more damage to Dark King than it does to anything else in the game. We're talking 10,000+ damage per hit.

I think it heard it was caused by an integer overflow because the Dark King starts with 65,535 HP. Something like that, anyhow.

Sanagi
08-26-2010, 10:48 PM
I think it heard it was caused by an integer overflow because the Dark King starts with 65,535 HP. Something like that, anyhow.
That fits with my experience because I remember it only working once or twice before it started to behave like a cure spell again. But it has been a while.

Sky Render
08-26-2010, 11:13 PM

That's pretty much exactly what's going on, in fact. Cure is supposed to heal all HP when used on a single target. Since the Dark King's max HP is more than 32,767, it ends up doing damage instead (like most RPGs of the time, it uses a split integer where 0-32767 are positive and 32768-65535 are negative). However, when you drop his HP below 32,767, it will start healing him instead.

McClain
08-26-2010, 11:40 PM
That's pretty much exactly what's going on, in fact. Cure is supposed to heal all HP when used on a single target. Since the Dark King's max HP is more than 32,767, it ends up doing damage instead (like most RPGs of the time, it uses a split integer where 0-32767 are positive and 32768-65535 are negative). However, when you drop his HP below 32,767, it will start healing him instead.

huh, so it's not that they flagged him as undead, like some of my favorite FF6 bosses, but it's actually an overflow glitch. Nice.

Life killing non-undead enemies is pretty funny! I feel like a short LP of the world's worst white mage could be in order.

Oh no, Tristam hurt you! Poor little monster, I'll heal you... nooooo! Why does everything I love die????

Dawnswalker
08-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Fun Fact: Once, I left the "The End" screen on for almost half-an-hour because the time I'd played before, I thought I had almost seen them pull up to an island just as I was turning off the SNES.

... I'm better now.

And now that this is done, it will never hurt another LPer ever again! Yaaay!

Pajaro Pete
08-27-2010, 12:12 AM
And now that this is done, it will never hurt another LPer ever again! Yaaay!

The Cycle Will Never End (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3342087&pagenumber=1).

Kishi
08-27-2010, 12:22 AM
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_41.png

Uh...

http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ffmq_4_42.png

It should go without saying that the whole journey is worth it for this moment.

Torgo
08-27-2010, 03:35 AM
It should go without saying that the whole journey is worth it for this moment.
But we can say it anyway, because it totally is. One of the best Non sequiturs ever.

Great lp guys. You guys do a totally okay game with awesome music justice.

Falselogic
08-27-2010, 10:10 AM
Thanks Sky Render! With the curse broken I can finally return to my family in Davent...

Wait, no thats not it.

Thanks for finishing this up! The Dark King might be the lamest final boss ever. How does he even use that Bow he's got in that one hand?

Lucas
08-27-2010, 11:12 AM
Actually, that coffee thing makes even less sense considering his big reveal after beating the boss.

Ted
08-27-2010, 11:32 AM
It just goes to show that sentient crystals will never be able to fully emulate real cloud-riding sages.

As for the Dark King, I always thought his squishy insides were made of Super Rope licorice.

Congrats, Sky Render!

McClain
08-27-2010, 02:19 PM
Thanks for finishing this up! The Dark King might be the lamest final boss ever. How does he even use that Bow he's got in that one hand?

Come to think of it, do people think of this as a Gilgamesh appearance? Is it at all related, or is that first form just the same kind of silly.

Shinrin
08-27-2010, 05:13 PM
This was a great LP of Mystic Quest. Now it's got me wanting to play the game again. XD

Great Job on it though, guys.

Sky Render
08-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Ted Woolsey had a funny idea about how a story should be (re-)written, that's for sure. As I noted, he made some fairly significant changes (like the big reveal of the Dark King being near the end of the game instead of the start, as well as the many many non-sequiturs uttered by the Guide). Some of it was even censorship, in fact: the "coins" are not coins at all. The "Sand Coin" is actually referred to as the "Sword of the Dead" in the Japanese version, which really caught me off guard. They're closer to reliquaries than coins.

Kishi
08-27-2010, 05:57 PM
So how long until you retranslate this game with all the original profanity intact?

Sky Render
08-27-2010, 06:14 PM
So how long until you retranslate this game with all the original profanity intact?

Amusingly enough, we've been discussing that possibility in #rpgone on StaticBox lately. The big problem is that ChrisRPG (RPGOne's key ROMhacker) died back in 2006 and nobody has succeeded him, meaning the best I could do is a patch that alters the US version.

McClain
08-27-2010, 06:21 PM

How much fucking profanity is there?

StrawberryChrist
08-27-2010, 06:24 PM
If Square intended Mystic Quest to be a "training wheels" RPG for us feeble-minded puzzle-hating western gamers, then it does not bode well that it took two years and three different LPers to make it through this one. If someone dares to try, say, Super Mario RPG then it may be the death of us all.

On a lighter note:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Muffeevee/Cosplay/Cosplaylab.gif

Kishi
08-27-2010, 06:33 PM
How much fucking profanity is there?

Probably not that much. I was just making a loving jibe at Sky Render's old retranslation of FFVI, where Kefka says "fuck" a hundred times and stuff.

If someone dares to try, say, Super Mario RPG then it may be the death of us all.

Get ready for fun (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=6301).

StrawberryChrist
08-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Get ready for fun (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=6301).

Dammit, I even googled it first to make sure it hadn't been done but I couldn't make it past the wall of youtube links.

McClain
08-27-2010, 07:00 PM
Probably not that much. I was just making a loving jibe at Sky Render's old retranslation of FFVI, where Kefka says "fuck" a hundred times and stuff.

I ... thought that was pretty accurate? I know in the English there is a part where he say HATE like 16 times in a row, and I read at least one translation script that made those all "Fuck."

Also, while I've gotten used to modern games using adult language, when I see it with sprites, no matter what the context, it always strikes me as kind of silly or juvenile. I don't know why, maybe just because I played 8 and 16-bit games as a kid.

Sky Render
08-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I ... thought that was pretty accurate? I know in the English there is a part where he say HATE like 16 times in a row, and I read at least one translation script that made those all "Fuck."

Also, while I've gotten used to modern games using adult language, when I see it with sprites, no matter what the context, it always strikes me as kind of silly or juvenile. I don't know why, maybe just because I played 8 and 16-bit games as a kid.

Actually, in my translation of FF6 he shouts "bitch" many times. Which is pretty close to the Japanese version's epithet of "chikushou" (literally means beast, approximately the equivalent of calling someone a bitch). The translation I did for FF6 was... passable, I suppose. It was my first completed translation, so it had its fair share of issues (like the fact that it was about as dry as the Sahara).

StrawberryChrist
08-27-2010, 07:13 PM

FFVII wasn't exactly sprites, but I got the same feeling whenever Barrett cussed.
Cid, on the other hand... his profanity just makes him even more of a man's man.

I remember Kefka's tirade being translated in one form as "YOU BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH BITCH" etc.
but Kefka is supposed to be silly and juvenile. This is why it sucks when he becomes God.

EDIT: beaten to the punch by the person who actually wrote the translation.

zNOFUTURE
03-26-2012, 04:22 AM
This was a joy to read, I will never look at MQ the same again without also needing to watch all of the Matrix movies afterwards.