PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play: Lone Wolf 1 "Flight from the Dark"

Pages : [1] 2 3

Loki
05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
You kids these days. What with your vid-ja games and high-definition expanded edition Lord of the Rings on DVD. You make me sick. Back in my day if we wanted to Role Play a Game we had to make due with WORDS on PAPER. And damned if we didn't have hours of fun too.

In fact, I remember having so much fun that I wouldn't mind doing it again!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/lonewolfbook01-beaveredition.jpg

You are the sole survivor of a devastating attack on the monastery where you were learning the skills of the Kai Lords. You swear vengeance on the Darklords for the massacre of the Kai warriors, and with a sudden flash of insight you know what you must do. You must set off on a perilous journey to the capital city to warn the King of the terrible threat that faces his people: For you are now the last of the Kai you are now Lone Wolf.

Of course years of working in the crushing confines of our labor system have left me with no decision making abilities what-so ever, so you guys are going to have to help.

In the northern land of Sommerlund, it has been the custom for many centuries to send the children of the Warrior Lords to the monastery of Kai. There they are taught the skills and disciplines of their noble fathers.

The Kai monks are masters of their art, and the children in their charge love and respect them in spite of the hardships of their training. For one day when they have finally learnt the secret skills of the Kai, they will return to their homes equipped in mind and body to defend themselves against the constant threat of war from the Darklords of the west.

Seems simple enough so far. I'm reminded of the first reel of 300. Maybe I'll get to fight a wolf in the snow! And don't worry, there won't be any "This is Sommerlund" jokes in this thread unless you guys really beg for them.

In olden times, during the Age of the Black Moon, the Darklords waged war on Sommerlund. The conflict was a long and bitter trial of strength that ended in victory for the Sommlending at the great battle of Maakengorge. King Ulnar and the allies of Durenor broke the Darklord armies at the pass of Moytura and forced them back into the bottomless abyss of Maakengorge. Vashna, mightiest of the Darklords, was slain upon the sword of King Ulnar, called 'Sommerswerd', the sword of the sun. Since that age, the Darklords have vowed vengeance upon Sommerlund and the House of Ulnar.

Ugh. "Sommlendin" "Maakengorge" "Vashna" "Sommerswerd."

Now it is in the morning of the feast of Fehmarn, when all of the Kai Lords are present at the monastery for the celebrations. Suddenly a great black cloud comes from out of the western skies. So many are the numbers of the black-winged beasts that fill the sky, that the sun is completely hidden. The Darklords, ancient enemy of the Sommlending are attacking. War has begun.

On this fateful morning, you, Silent Wolf (the name given to you by the Kai) have been sent to collect firewood in the forest as a punishment for your inattention in class. As you are preparing to return, you see to your horror a vast cloud of black leathery creatures swoop down and engulf the monastery.

Dropping the wood, you race to the battle that has already begun. But in the unnatural dark, you stumble and strike your head on a low tree branch. As you lose consciousness, the last thing that you see in the poor light are the walls of the monastery crashing to the ground.

Many hours pass before you awake. With tears in your eyes you now survey the scene of destruction. Raising your face to the clear sky, you swear vengeance on the Darklords for the massacre of the Kai warriors, and with a sudden flash of realization you know what you must do. You must set off on a perilous journey to the capital city to warn the King of the terrible threat that now faces his people. For you are now the last of the Kai--you are now the Lone Wolf.

So, in a nutshell I was collecting wood as silently as a wolf when my people's ancient enemies zerg rushed them but I didn't get killed because I ran into a stick. Also, maybe something about a magic sword.

Now, there isn't any pushing reset while powering off here. This is a book, not some electronic thing where all the mechanics are done for you, and so there is a whole new system to learn and love.

Up Next: The Rules of the Game or How to Play With No Controller.

Brickroad
05-12-2008, 11:35 AM
I remember encountering precisely one of these books back in the day. It was something in between D&D and Choose Your Own Adventure.

I don't recall much except that it was set in Middle-earth and I was too young to really grasp the concept of the rules, and I ended up killing a monster (or an NPC? I don't remember) I shouldn't have been able to, and the book actually said "You beat [the monster]! Check your math, because we're pretty sure that's impossible."

Falselogic
05-12-2008, 11:52 AM
Let's Play!

As a youth i went through my entire school library's collection of choose your own adventure books... good times

Alixsar
05-12-2008, 12:02 PM
"You beat [the monster]! Check your math, because we're pretty sure that's impossible."

It's funny to me that you exploited a glitch in a book. That's pretty awesome.

MCBanjoMike
05-12-2008, 12:03 PM
Wow, haven't thought about these books in a while. I had about the first 6 in the series (as well as one of the later ones, maybe #11) and I liked them a lot. You could carry over your character from one book to another, which was wicked, although it occasionally led to me cheating if I had something happen that lead to a permanent stat decrease. Man, those pissed me off something fierce.

But seriously, are you going to transcribe the entire book? That's a hell of a project to undertake. Anyway, if have some say in the skills you pick, I've got to recommend the one that lets you regain health for every story section that you pass without a battle. Forget what it's called, though, hunting? Foraging? I'm probably all mixed up, it's been 15 years since I read any of these.

Alex
05-12-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh, yeah, definitely go with that one first if you can, just to save yourself the tedium. And make sure you give yourself a proficiency with swords, or whatever the mechanic used was!

http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home this is a great way to kill a weekend.

Loki
05-12-2008, 12:30 PM
You keep a record of your adventure on the Action Chart.

Okay, let's check out the Action Chart... Wow! It's just like I pressed Y!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acstats.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acdscplz.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acitems.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acbckpck.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acspcl.gif

Back when I was a kid, I wrote and erased so much on these charts that I wore a hole the page. Heaven forbid I just keep track of the numbers on a separate piece of paper or something.

During your training as a Kai Lord you have developed fighting prowess--COMBAT SKILL and physical stamina--ENDURANCE. Before you set off on your adventure you need to measure how effective your training has been. To do this take a pencil and, with your eyes closed, point with the blunt end of it on to the Random Number Table. If you pick 0 it counts as zero.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/random.gif

Wait. What? The game doesn't even ask us to find a die? That's nice of it I guess... But still poking a chart with a pencil? Well, I showed the book who's the boss here. I used a pen.

The first number that you pick from the Random Number Table in this way represents your COMBAT SKILL. Add 10 to the number you picked and write the total in the COMBAT SKILL section of your Action Chart. (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 4 in the Random Number Table you would write in a COMBAT SKILL Of 14.) When you fight, your COMBAT SKILL will be pitted against that of your enemy. A high score in this section is therefore very desirable.

The second number that you pick from the Random Number Table represents your powers of ENDURANCE. Add 20 to this number and write the total in the ENDURANCE section of your Action Chart. (i.e. if your pencil fell on the number 6 on the Random Number Table you would have 26 ENDURANCE points.)

If you are wounded in combat you will lose ENDURANCE points. If at any time your ENDURANCE points fall to zero or below, you are dead and the adventure is over. Lost ENDURANCE points can be regained during the course of the adventure, but your number of ENDURANCE points can never go above the number with which you start your adventure.

Just like other Let's Play authors who didn't use save states I also opted to not cheat and keep my eyes closed for each time I prodded the number chart. While it would be nice to get a 9 each time I wouldn't feel right if I didn't play the game as intended. For the combat skill I "rolled" a 6 and for endurance I got a 5.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acstats1.gif

I threw in that "/25" under my endurance so I'd always know what the max was and also to make it seem more like Final Fantasy.

You are dressed in the green tunic and cloak of a Kai initiate. You have little with you to arm yourself for survival.

All you possess is an Axe (note under Weapons on your Action Chart) and a Backpack containing 1 Meal (note under Meals on your Action Chart). Hanging from your waist is a leather pouch containing Gold Crowns. To find out how many, pick a number from the Random Number Table. This number equals the number of Gold Crowns you possess at the start of the adventure. (Note the number in the Belt Pouch section of the Action Chart.)

You discover amongst the smoking ruins of the monastery, a Map of Sommerlund (note under Special Items on the Action Chart) showing the capital city of Holmgard and the land of Durenor, far to the east. You place the Map inside your tunic for safety.

I shoved my pen at the paper and ended up with 4 gold. I seem to be favoring the upper left quadrant of the chart. 'Figured you guys would want to know.

You also find one of the following:

1 = Sword (Weapons)

2 = Helmet (Special Items). This adds 2 ENDURANCE points to your total.

3 = Two Meals (Meals)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/food.gif

4 = Chainmail Waistcoat (Special Items). This adds 4 ENDURANCE points to your total.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/mail.gif

5 = Mace (Weapons)

6 = Healing Potion (Backpack Item). This can restore 4 ENDURANCE points to your total, when swallowed after combat You only have enough for one dose.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/potion.gif

7 = Quarterstaff (Weapons)

8 = Spear (Weapons)

9 = 12 Gold Crowns (Belt Pouch)

0 = Broadsword (Weapons)

To discover which of the above you find, you must pick a number from the Random Number Table and find the corresponding article on the list. Note this on your Action Chart, under the heading given in brackets, and make a note of any effect it may have on your ENDURANCE points.

I stroked 4 again which nets me the chainmail. Score! That brings me up to 29 endurance and into the world of high medieval fashion.

How Much Can You Carry?

Weapons
The maximum number of weapons that you may carry is two.
Backpack Items
These must be stored in your Backpack. Because space is limited, you may only keep a maximum of eight articles, including Meals, in your Backpack at any one time.
Special Items
Special Items are not carried in the Backpack. When you discover a Special Item, you will be told how to carry it.
Gold Crowns
These are always carried in the Belt Pouch. It will hold a maximum of fifty crowns.
Food
Food is carried in your Backpack. Each Meal counts as one item.
Any item that may be of use and can be picked up on your adventure and entered on your Action Chart is given capital letters in the text. Unless you are told it is a Special Item, carry it in your Backpack.

A limited inventory? You can see how this is really an old school game. Also my paltry 4 gold doesn't look so bad now that the maximum is set at 50.

I'm going to skip the rules of combat for now and save them for our first big battle.

The following table is a guide to the rank and titles that are bestowed upon Kai Lords at each stage of their training. As you successfully complete each adventure in the Lone Wolf series, you will gain an additional Kai Discipline and gradually progress towards mastery of the ten basic Kai Disciplines.

Novice
Intuite
Doan
Acolyte
Initiate--You begin the Lone Wolf adventures with this level of Kai training
Aspirant
Guardian
Warmarn or Journeyman
Savant
Master
Beyond the ten basic skills of the Kai Master await the secrets of the higher Kai Disciplines or 'Magnakai'. By acquiring the wisdom of the Magnakai, a Kai Lord can progress towards the ultimate achievement and become a Kai Grand Master.

By completing each book in the series you grow progressively stronger. I've only ever played (read?) this first book so I don't know if the later books were more difficult to compensate for the higher stats and such. Still, it's a neat idea and seeing as there's some thirty books in the Lone Wolf series I guess it worked out pretty well.

Loki
05-12-2008, 12:31 PM
Kai Disciplines

Over the centuries, the Kai monks have mastered the skills of the warrior. These skills are known as the Kai Disciplines, and they are taught to all Kai Lords. You have learnt only five of the skills listed below. The choice of which five skills these are, is for you to make. As all of the Disciplines will be of use to you at some point on your perilous quest, pick your five with care. The correct use of a Discipline at the right time can save your life.

When you have chosen your five Disciplines, enter them in the Kai Disciplines section of your Action Chart.

Duh! I don't know which five to pick. Help a poor feller out and pick for me five disciplines for me to retroactively learn before all my teachers got killed.

Camouflage

This Discipline enables a Kai Lord to blend in with his surroundings. In the countryside, he can hide undetected among trees and rocks and pass close to an enemy without being seen. In a town or city, it enables him to look and sound like a native of that area, and can help him to find shelter or a safe hiding place.

If you choose this skill, write 'Camouflage' on your Action Chart.

Hunting

This skill ensures that a Kai Lord will never starve in the wild. He will always be able to hunt for food for himself except in areas of wasteland and desert. The skill also enables a Kai Lord to be able to move stealthily when stalking his prey.

If you choose this skill, write 'Hunting: no need for a Meal when instructed to eat' on your Action Chart.

Sixth Sense

This skill may warn a Kai Lord of imminent danger. It may also reveal the true purpose of a stranger or strange object encountered in your adventure.

If you choose this skill, write 'Sixth Sense' on your Action Chart.

Tracking

This skill enables a Kai Lord to make the correct choice of a path in the wild, to discover the location of a person or object in a town or city and to read the secrets of footprints or tracks.

If you choose this skill, write 'Tracking' on your Action Chart.

Healing

This Discipline can be used to restore ENDURANCE points lost in combat. If you possess this skill you may restore 1 ENDURANCE point to your total for every numbered section of the book you pass through in which you are not involved in combat. (This is only to be used after your ENDURANCE has fallen below its original level.) Remember that your ENDURANCE cannot rise above its original level.

If you choose this skill write 'Healing: +1 ENDURANCE point for each section without combat' on your Action Chart.

Weaponskill

Upon entering the Kai monastery, each initiate is taught to master one type of weapon. If Weaponskill is to be one of your Kai Disciplines, pick a number in the usual way from the Random Number Table, and then find the corresponding weapon from the list below. This is the weapon in which you have skill. When you enter combat carrying this weapon, you add 2 points to your COMBAT SKILL.

The fact that you are skilled with a weapon does not mean you set out on the adventure carrying that particular weapon. However, you will have opportunities to acquire weapons in the course of your adventures. If you pick the axe, you are lucky enough to be skilled in the one weapon Lone Wolf is carrying from the start of the adventure. (Explained fully in the Equipment section.)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/weapons.gif

You cannot carry more than 2 weapons. If you choose this skill, write 'Weaponskill in _______ +2 COMBAT SKILL points if this weapon carried' on your Action Chart.

Mindshield

The Darklords and many of the evil creatures in their command have the ability to attack you using their Mindforce. The Kai Discipline of Mindshield prevents you from losing any ENDURANCE points when subjected to this form of attack.

If you choose this skill, write 'Mindshield: no points lost when attacked by Mindblast' on your Action Chart.

Mindblast

This enables a Kai Lord to attack an enemy using the force of his mind. It can be used at the same time as normal combat weapons and adds two extra points to your COMBAT SKILL. Not all the creatures encountered on this adventure will be harmed by Mindblast. You will be told if a creature is immune.

If you choose this skill, write 'Mindblast: +2 COMBAT SKILL points' on your Action Chart.

Animal Kinship

This skill enables a Kai Lord to communicate with some animals and to be able to guess the intentions of others.

If you choose this skill, write 'Animal Kinship' on your Action Chart.

Mind Over Matter

Mastery of this Discipline enables a Kai Lord to move small objects with his powers of concentration.

If you choose this skill, write 'Mind Over Matter' on your Action Chart.

What ones will they be, Talking Time?

Hargrada
05-12-2008, 12:32 PM
I have faint memories of reading/playing a few of these books sometime in my past. Only went as far as beating the Darklords (what was that, book 3? 4?), but I do remember them as being something above and beyond the normal choose your own adventure books. I'll follow along, and i'm sure something along the line will jog my memory of these adventures. What year were these released? My covers looked a lot different then the one pictured.

shivam
05-12-2008, 12:32 PM
holy shit. this is fucking awesome.

Dadgum Roi
05-12-2008, 12:33 PM
Hell yeah.

Dadgum Roi
05-12-2008, 12:35 PM
By completing each book in the series you grow progressively stronger. I've only ever played (read?) this first book so I don't know if the later books were more difficult to compensate for the higher stats and such. Still, it's a neat idea and seeing as there's some thirty books in the Lone Wolf series I guess it worked out pretty well.

The stat increases didn't unbalance the later books IIRC, although combat was a lot dicier if you hadn't leveled up by playing the previous books. The main thing was the items- stuff like the Sommerswerd really came in handy.

Falselogic
05-12-2008, 12:39 PM
1. hunting
2. mindshield
3.mindforce
4. healing
5. six sense

Sven
05-12-2008, 12:41 PM
So is this a Fighting Fantasy rip-off series? I approve.

In which case, I'm totally trying to beat Starship: Traveler legitimately for the first time ever when I'm done with X-Com. That or Master of Chaos, which was basically a sandbox game in book form for the first 60% of the quest.

(After checking the Wikipedia entry: or Robot F'n Commando, where at one point they just give up and hand you a Valkyrie to beat the book with.)

Loki
05-12-2008, 12:46 PM
I never encountered Fighting Fantasy books in my youth, so I don't know how closely Lone Wolf adheres to them. It was my understanding that each Fighting Fantasy was it's own story. More "Chose-Your-Own-Adventure" than D&D.

Brickroad
05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
I suggest you play a pacifist character; no skills reflecting violence or combat!

sixth sense
healing
camouflage
animal kinship
mind over matter

I can't wait to get home and see the "screenshots". It sounds like with some practice the Random Number Table could possibly be exploitable. I recall the hobbit book that I had growing up required a d6, but maybe it didn't and I just knew how to pick 9s every time and that's how I beat the unkillable monster

MCBanjoMike
05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah, Healing was the skill that I wanted you to take. Consider that a vote! I will also request MindBlast, because who doesn't want to Blast things with their Mind?

Loki
05-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Mindblast is like Weaponskill except that you always have it except when you don't.

I can't remember if a lot of the monsters had protection against it but I'm guessing that the final boss of the book most defiantly will.

PapillonReel
05-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Camouflage
Healing
Sixth Sense
Weaponskill in Spears
Mindblast

Ample Vigour
05-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Lone Wolf is the jam. I'm salivating.

Octopus Prime
05-12-2008, 01:01 PM
This does indeed sound like Fighting Fantasy, except with more awesome.

...I did read many a Fighting Fantasy book in my youth, and they were more Choose Your Own Adventure-y, but that didn't stop me from being proud that I beat a couple of them!

Also, I ignored the RPG-y bits and focused on the story, which made victory easier to come by, and didn't require me rolling dice in the middle of class.

Alex
05-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Take HUNTING! I reccomend Animal Kinship just to create some moral dissonance as well.

Sven
05-12-2008, 01:09 PM
It was my understanding that each Fighting Fantasy was it's own story. More "Chose-Your-Own-Adventure" than D&D.

That's more or less right - it wasn't so much about the character development as the prose in their case, with a big emphasis on navigation and problem-solving (as combat was just dice rolls, most people reading the books at my grade school just skipped it).

Of course, then there was something like Agents of F.E.A.R., which was an awesome riff on superhero stories that was both brilliantly written (because you could be any one of four different hero types) yet impossible (because half the situations in the book had you looking on helplessly because your powers wouldn't help in that situation).

Adrenaline
05-12-2008, 01:14 PM
This is sweet. I couldn't see how this could really work until I just remembered a series of Star Wars books that did the same thing I spent some time with. First there was the kit with a couple dice, cards for characters and weapons, and notepads and stuff. Then there was a new book with extra cards each month. It was extremely nerdy.

sraymonds
05-12-2008, 01:19 PM
I've been using this. (http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/index.php)

Ample Vigour
05-12-2008, 01:20 PM
You know, the Japanese have their own Fighting Fantasy spinoff (http://queensblade.net/).

Alex
05-12-2008, 01:24 PM
I've been using this. (http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/index.php)

Holy shit, I need to buy an R4 for my DS immediately.

MCBanjoMike
05-12-2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/Home this is a great way to kill a weekend.

Now look what you did: I just played through the first book in the MagnaKai series for the first time in over a decade. I got decent "rolls", ending up with 25 endurance and a happy 18 combat skill - both of which served me well. I chose to make my character something of a ranger/survivalist, so I gave him Healing, Camouflage, Tracking, Hunting and Sixth Sense (assuming it to be honed from years of living in the wilds, not some sort of mystical nonsense). I died once from a bad choice (ie, immediate death), which is kind of frustrating - I'm not really sure what the protocol is when that happens, it was early enough in the book that I decided to just "reload" the game and choose another option. (SPOILERS: It was at the part where you meet the undead captain. If you choose to approach carefully it is INSTANT DEATH, whereas attacking him without knowing who he is yields a chance to beat him. What the hell?) After that, I managed to scrape my way through the rest of the game honestly, coming very close to death on a few occasions. At one point I was down to only 2 endurance left, but thankfully my Healing skill saved my bacon. Also, you mentioned that Mind Blast probably won't work against the big badguy, but my final fight was against a robber in a store, who was a total pushover.

I'm debating playing book 2 now, but I think I'll save that for tomorrow.

Sven
05-12-2008, 01:51 PM
died once from a bad choice (ie, immediate death), which is kind of frustrating - I'm not really sure what the protocol is when that happens, it was early enough in the book that I decided to just "reload" the game and choose another option.

This is why I always carried at least two bookmarks with me when reading one of these types of books as a kid. Every time you're asked to make a choice, bookmark that page... because there's never any rhyme or reason for what they chose to kill you.

MCBanjoMike
05-12-2008, 02:02 PM
This is why I always carried at least two bookmarks with me when reading one of these types of books as a kid. Every time you're asked to make a choice, bookmark that page... because there's never any rhyme or reason for what they chose to kill you.

Still, it's frustrating, because I wanted to play the book "seriously". But I figured there was no point in starting over, I'd just end up at exactly the same spot 10 minutes later +/- 5 Endurance.

poetfox
05-12-2008, 02:05 PM
ANIMAL KINSHIP.
Also, there's no way if I was playing this I wouldn't pick healing. Just because that's how I roll.

But mostly ANIMAL KINSHIP.

Rai
05-12-2008, 04:54 PM
I'm not gonna lie, I didn't read most of that. Not because I couldn't. Not because I have Things To Do, which I do.

No, I stopped because I saw two words combined into one.

Mindblast.

And my mind was blown. I don't care if taking it has only negative repurcussions on your character. You can blow things up with your mind. More games should allow this. So if you don't take it, or don't take multiple ranks of it or whatever, I will be sorely disappointed.

MoltenBoron
05-12-2008, 04:57 PM
Hey, I had some of these books when I was a kid! I recall having #7, which was something about a castle or a tower. I also had one in what I think was a spin-off series with a wizard. I think I liked the wizard one better, because I was more into magic than fighting.

Anyhow, I'll go with:
Healing
Sixth Sense
Mind Blast
Animal Kinship
Mind Over Matter

I figure that early on the Mind Blast will be useful against most things, whereas weapon training is only useful if you're lucky enough to pick a weapon you have/can get. Maybe if you do more of these you can pick up a weapon skill later.

sraymonds
05-12-2008, 05:08 PM
The spin-off was called The World of Lone Wolf, and it starred Grey Star the Wizard.

Alixsar
05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
The way I play games I always hate having finite resources. That's why I dislike mages: you're screwed if you don't have MP. So Hunting is a must. Don't want to get caught without any food, right? Camouflage seems like it'd be useful for making a quick getaway, and Sixth Sense makes you Spider-Man. I'd take the weaponskill trait and hope for something cool like a sword or spear or staff (axes are for losers). And Mindshield sounds useful since I can imagine it being useful against tough characters later on.

So, for the record:
Sixth Sense
Camouflage
Weaponskill
Mindshield
Hunting

nunix
05-12-2008, 05:40 PM

On the one hand, I hate Loki for suddenly springing this out of nowhere. I LOVE THE LONE WOLF BOOKS. THIS SHOULD BE MINE. MIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!! Also you had to start it in the middle of a day when I was gone, and so missed out on two pages of discussion. Two pages!

On the other, I have no desire to do any of the work. And it seems odd choice for a Talking Time, and wouldn't have thought anyone would be interested.

So.. so I guess I'll let you live.

I still have my physical copies of 1-20 (sadly only US editions; fucking edits), Magnamund Companion, and a bunch of freehand copies of illustrations. Cover of Flight from the Dark is worn off. Have Grey Star books. Am still creeped out by giant-hands guy.

Et cetera. Et cetera.

Also: this may be of interest to homebrew-capable DS folk (http://www.projectaon.org/staff/frederic/index.php). (Though I'm pissed he hasn't open-sourced it so that I would have the opportunity to do all the grunt work ni a single weekend, so that I could carry the books around forever and ever in me pockets)

re: Disciplines: Mindshield is great, and will prove very useful in later battles, as will Mindblast. You either need to take Animal Kinship now, or in Book 2, because - I can't remember if the Project Aon guys fixed it - there's a point where you cannot proceed without Animal Kinship (which breaks the rules of "any combination of discplines can get you through"; the books otherwise adhere very solidly to this rule), but there isn't a super-lot of use for it in 1. I used to always take Hunting, but Meals become less and less of an issue. Weaponmastery is a crapshoot if you're doing it legit, otherwise get sword. (because of SPOILERS) Sixth Sense is good though.

Loki
05-12-2008, 06:17 PM
I work evenings so most of my updates will be during the day. I don't think it will be too much of an incovenance.

Ample Vigour
05-12-2008, 06:41 PM
(sadly only US editions; fucking edits)

What edits? Talk to me, Goose. I have to know!

Suggested skills:

1. Animal Kinship
2. Weaponskill: Sword Spoiler alert!
3. Mindblast
4. Hunting
5. Camouflage

I love the early books. After a certain point, it kinda turns into "If you possess the king-shit-monkeyswerd pass "GO" and collect $200. Otherwise, punch yourself and buy Book #2."

nunix
05-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Re: edits: they cut out huge sections to slim down the volumes. 50-100 in some cases. This was done.. not elegantly, which lead to several "bugs" in these issues (15-20 have the most missing, but there's cuts from 13 and 14 also). ProjectAon probably has a full list.

At one point I tried to Interlibrary Loan the UK editions (because ProjectAon moves as slow as the damned grave) but the only library I could find with them was Oxford. Yeah, that one. They.. don't really lend stuff out in that manner. ;P

I haven't checked in awhile, because as you said..

Re: early books/powers: agree completely. 1-5 are AWESOME. 6-12 are very good but some are better than others (Castle Death was meh, and wins Most Generic CYOA Title of any of the Lone Wolf books; Jungle of Horrors had tonnes of genuinely creepy stuff). The Magnakai (that 6-12) is also fun because your powers start ramping up and you start taking on Deathlords without things being COMPLETELY retarded.

13+ is just silly. Your powers have progressed to the point where, logically, you shouldn't even be bothering to adventure anymore, just kinda carelessly take guys out with Yoda-level badassery. So anything that does come up in your face strikes you as "why bother?" (I wonder how much of this is due to edits/cuts and how much is just not-as-good)

BUT! We are not playing those later books. We are playing Flight from the Dark! So it's all good.

(unless you are talking about the recent Mongoose Publishing "special edition" which I consider to be a bastardisation and really ruins some of the charm, but I am hopelessly mired in nostalgia so am not an objective source. but I'm still right)

dwolfe
05-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Oh holy crap. This is already the best thread ever. PLEASE keep going through the series!!!!!

Falselogic
05-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Oh holy crap. This is already the best thread ever. PLEASE keep going through the series!!!!!

A slight exaggeration...

shivam
05-12-2008, 10:21 PM
name a better thread, dude.

Alex
05-12-2008, 10:42 PM
(unless you are talking about the recent Mongoose Publishing "special edition" which I consider to be a bastardisation and really ruins some of the charm, but I am hopelessly mired in nostalgia so am not an objective source. but I'm still right)

I read about this book over on Project Aon, I wouldn't mind if you elaborated your feelings on the matter.

nunix
05-12-2008, 10:51 PM
I read about this book over on Project Aon, I wouldn't mind if you elaborated your feelings on the matter.

Sure.

Caveat: Joe Dever did do the writing for it, so at least there's that much.

Anyway..

Rather than coming back, having missed the action, LW takes part in the fighting, and so some of the beginning is re-written (by the end of the book all the Kai are still dead, but it's not immediate aftermath).

This just.. really really bugs me. Firstly, the idea is that the Darklords just came in and swamped with numbers. Lone Wolf survived basically on luck (and I think the backstory is he was out gathering wood as a kind of punishment, also). It changes the scope of things, especially with relation to later books: the Kai were doomed at that point, had been doomed for centuries, having lost the Magnakai teachings. Why bother showing them fight? Having them just flat-out destroyed is pretty brutal and shocking.

To be fair, it's also an easy way to start a book, but with age I really do like that reading/interpretation of the events.

There's also some other paths and sections added to the main book (I think it bumps it up to 400 sections? I forget; borrowed from a library, don't have a copy now) which are cool, but some of the original Gary Chalk art is changed and that is just too lodged in my brain to be okay with the replacements.

If you never played LW before, it might be interesting for you to run through the new Mongoose ones if you wanted a physical book to play, rather than using ProjectAon or LWDS. Mongoose is doing the whole run of the books, but each one has these new additions. I haven't tried the others yet. Some of the books really could use a refresher (for bad sections, or maybe just something was boring, or obtuse; I mentioned in the Gamebooks thread that Chasm of Doom, #4 is kinda iffy after the great end of Kalte, and the massive adventure that is Shadow on the Sand in #5), but I don't like some of the re-writing that was done in Flight from the Dark. Again, from my super-fanboy position, which I will totally cop to, and suggest people check it out.

But I also don't like what Mongoose did with Lone Wolf D20, so I kinda suspect them and their intentions.. I don't know how much of the new versions is pure Dever, and how much of it is "show notes" from the publisher.

Ample Vigour
05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Re: edits: they cut out huge sections to slim down the volumes. 50-100 in some cases.

Holy dogshit! That makes me a little glad I fell out of touch with the series before it hit the Magnakai arc.

We're of one mind on Jungle of Horrors. I loved the art and the twisted direction of the encounters (especially the sad fate of Troust the friendly knight. That dude deserved better than Demon Cancer/being burned horribly by your fireseeds.) Joe Dever really ramped up the gory details in JoH.

Loki
05-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Blah blah blah.

Sure but also the main character's village is destroyed while he's away is the RPG cliche. Back when RPGMaker for the PSX came out I used to read the GameFAQ boards for the idiotically cliche and stupid RPG plots people came up with, and let me tell you, about 75% of them started this way.

nunix
05-13-2008, 07:43 AM
Sure. But Flight from the Dark was published 1984, so.. When I first read it, we didn't even have a NES yet. I don't consider the revised beginning to really be any better in that regard (have played/read enough things where it starts that way also). It's just a personal preference for me.

Loki
05-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Upon waking from my branch induced coma I remember that I was trained in the ways of Camouflage, Healing, Animal Kinship, Blowing things up with my brain, and Spiderman.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acdscplz1.gif

Let's open up the old status menu and see where I'm at.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acstats2.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acitems1.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acspcl1.gif

It was a lucky thing I took this map of the country with me on my wood gathering expedition. Let's take a look at it now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/map.jpg

They didn't teach us much about geography at the monastery but I think the capital of Sommerlund is Holmgard. According to this map it's less that 50 miles away! I'll be there within the hour! Hmmm... I would think Sommerlund would measure distance in kilometers not miles but then again I was learn-ed in brain explodey not math so what do I know.

And without further ado: OFF TO ADVENTURE.

1. You must make haste for you sense it is not safe to linger by the smoking remains of the ruined monastery. The black-winged beasts could return at any moment. You must set out for the Sommlending capital of Holmgard and tell the King the terrible news of the massacre: that the whole élite of Kai warriors, save yourself, have been slaughtered. Without the Kai Lords to lead her armies, Sommerlund will be at the mercy of their ancient enemy, the Darklords.

Fighting back tears, you bid farewell to your dead kinsmen. Silently, you promise that their deaths will be avenged. You turn away from the ruins and carefully descend the steep track.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic1.jpg

The book makes it seem so dignified. ALSO I TRIPPED AND SKINNED MY KNEE. You'd cry too, jerks.

At the foot of the hill, the path splits into two directions, both leading into a large wood.

If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, turn to 141.

If you wish to take the right path into the wood, turn to 85.

If you wish to follow the left track, turn to 275.

Since I spent so many credit hours on it I might as well make use of my psychic abilities. PAGE 141 HERE WE COME!

141. Your Sixth Sense has warned you that some of the creatures that attacked the monastery are searching the two paths for any survivors of their raid, but you can avoid both tracks by making your way through the undergrowth of the woods.

If you wish to head south, turn to 56.

Or if you wish to cut through the heavier foliage towards the northeast, turn to 333.

South is the direction I need to go, but Northeast has heavy foliage. I do so love foliage this time of year. I guess the king can wait a few more minutes for me to look at trees. NORTHEAST!

333. You have cut your way through the thick undergrowth for nearly half an hour when you hear the beat of wings high above the trees. Looking up you can just make out the shape of a Kraan approaching from the north. It is one of the monsters that attacked the monastery and on its back are two grey-skinned creatures armed with long spears.

Orcs?! Goblins!?! Bug-a-bears?!?!?!

These are Mountain Giaks

Oh.

--evil servants of the Darklords, full of hatred and malice. Many centuries ago, their ancestors were used by the Darklords to build the infernal city of Helgedad, which lies in the volcanic wastelands beyond the Durncrag range of mountains. The construction of the city was long and torturous and only the strongest of the Giaks survived the heat and poisonous atmosphere of Helgedad.

Hmmm... Helgedad sounds awfully familiar. As long as I don't have to throw a ring into it I'll let it slide.

Hidden by the trees, you freeze, keeping absolutely still as the Kraan passes overhead and disappears towards the south. When you are sure that it has gone, you move off once again into the forest.

Turn to 131.

Grumble grumble. Why don't they put all the beginning passages at the beginning of the book rather than have me flip all around?

You have covered about a quarter of a mile

Wait. I've been tramping around in the bush for a half hour now I should be at least half way to Holmgard. I think this map is broken.

131. when you hear shouting and a noise like thunderclaps ahead. Edging nearer, you soon make out a clearing that you recognize to be the site of the ruins of Raumas, an ancient forest temple.

A war party of Giaks, some twenty-five to thirty strong, are attacking the ruins from all sides. Many more of the Giaks are dead or dying among the broken pillars of marble, but still they assault whatever is hidden inside. Suddenly, a bolt of blue lightning rips through the front rank of Giaks sending the armour-clad creatures tumbling in all directions. A Giak, taller than the others and dressed from head to foot in black chainmail, curses at his troops as he whips them forward with a barbed flail.

With weapon ready, you move to the edge of the clearing, under cover of the thick foliage, and try to catch a glimpse of the defenders. To your amazement, the ruins are being defended by a young man no older than yourself. You recognize his sky-blue robes, embroidered with stars. He is a young theurgist of the Magicians' Guild of Toran: an apprentice in magic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill9.gif

Hansom fellow.... Dear God what is wrong with his hand!?

Five Giaks charge forward, their spears raised to stab the apprentice as he hurriedly retreats deeper into the ruins. You see him turn and raise his left hand just before a bolt of blue flame shoots from his fingertips into the snarling Giak soldiers. Close to where you are hidden, you see a Giak scuttle past and climb one of the pillars of the temple. He has a long curved dagger in his mouth and he is about to jump on the young wizard standing below.

If you wish to shout a warning to the wizard, turn to 241.

If you wish to run forward and attack the Giak when he jumps, turn to 55.

If you wish to pick up a chunk of temple marble and throw it at the Giak's head, turn to 302.

Or if you would rather turn and leave the battle area, and run back into the woods, turn to 101.

Personally, I don't want to get involved in other people's drama, but then again I'm a follower not a leader. I just don't have the capacity for this type of decision making.

Be my moral compass, Talking Time. SHOULD I HELP A WIZARD?

shivam
05-13-2008, 09:11 AM
TEMPLE MARBLE! TEMPLE MARBLE!

DANoWAR
05-13-2008, 09:19 AM
I am bold and brave in these books, so I would choose to attack The GIA...ahem, the Giak.

On another note, I would advise to use the handy polls, if you can make or change them at will...

SlimJimm
05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
I second the motion for marble to be thrown.
Seriously, why wouldnt you?

Sporophyte
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Where is the "sucker punch him with a mind explosion" option?

Loki
05-13-2008, 09:21 AM
I second the motion for marble to be thrown.
Seriously, why wouldnt you?

Because it looks heavy and also there could be bugs under it.

Rai
05-13-2008, 09:27 AM
I dunno, that wizard kind of looks like a dick. I think you'd be better off without him in the end.

Brickroad
05-13-2008, 09:34 AM
Honestly I don't think this whole temple nonsense has anything to do with you, and that wizard probably insulted the giaks' moms or something. It's getting late and you haven't had lunch yet, and in any case if you joined the fray you might break a nail or muss up your hair or something. To page 101 with you!

Merus
05-13-2008, 09:41 AM
I dunno, that wizard kind of looks like a dick. I think you'd be better off without him in the end.
I'd be pissed too if I had to wear a dress.

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 09:44 AM
name a better thread, dude.

The LttP thread? The thread on Stimulus checks? the X-com thread? All of those and this one are great threads I don't know if I could pick one as the best

it was tongue in cheek, relax

shivam
05-13-2008, 09:48 AM
You DARE question the Hyperbolizer????

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 09:51 AM
so jump in front of him when he leaps and attack, this way we avoid those bugs and the gender confused youth will owe us big time!

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 09:53 AM
You DARE question the Hyperbolizer????

Yes? I don't know the right answer here... :P

MoltenBoron
05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
I feel like shouting or charging in is likely to get you an ass full of lightning. I'm ambivalent between the marble and just walking away, but I guess I'd lean toward the marble.

Alixsar
05-13-2008, 11:07 AM
Page 55! Take that fucker out! The wizard will join your party if you do. ...um, provided that this game let's you have a party, that is.

Red Hedgehog
05-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Those bastards killed all my fellow warriors! They aren't getting anyone else! Run in and attack! Exclamation point!

Loki
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Alright. Since you guys insisted...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic2.jpg

Oh god! There are bugs! IS THAT A SILVERFISH!?!

302. Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

If the number you have picked is 0-2, turn to 110.

If the number is 3-9, turn to 285.

Hell. It's kinda hard to poke numbers while holding this rock... 9! I swear you guys I totally didn't cheat. Natural 9! Woo.

285. With a sickening thud, the chunk of marble cracks open the back of the Giak's head. The creature drops to its knees and slowly falls forward, down to the ruins below. Elated by your skill, you race forward to aid the young wizard.

Turn to 325.

Flip flip flip.

325. Upon seeing you emerge from the woods, the Giak officer shouts 'Ogot! Ogot!' to his cowering troops, who flee the ruins and run to the safety of the forest.

Shaking his mailed fist at you, the black-clad Giak screams, 'RANEG ROGAG OK--ORGADAKA OKAK ROGAG GAJ!' before leaving. Surveying the scene of battle, you count over fifteen Giak dead lying among the broken pillars of Raumas.

The young wizard wipes his brow and walks towards you, his hand extended in friendship.

Turn to 349.

FLIP FLIP FLIP.

349. He is a young blond-haired youth with deep brooding eyes. His face is lined with exhaustion and the grime of battle, and his long sky-blue robes bear evidence of living rough in the wilds. He shakes your hand and bows. 'My eternal thanks, Kai Lord. My powers are nearly drained. Had you not come to my aid, I fear I would have ended my days atop a Giak lance.'

He is weak and unsteady on his feet. You take his arm and sit him down upon a fallen pillar where you listen intently to what he has to say.

'My name is Banedon.

"That's a stupid name."

...I am journeyman to the Brotherhood of the Crystal Star, which is the Magicians' Guild of Toran. My Guildmaster has sent me to your monastery with this urgent message.' He removes a vellum envelope from inside his robes and hands it to you.

'As you see, I have opened the letter and read its contents. When the war started, I was on the highway with two travelling companions. The Kraan attacked us and we lost each other in the forest during our escape.'

The letter is a warning to the Kai Lords that the Darklords have mustered a vast army beyond the Durncrag range. The Guildmaster urges the Kai to cancel the celebrations of Fehmarn and prepare for war.

Well jeeze, GAYdon, this letter would have been great to have a few hours ago.

I fear we were betrayed,' says Banedon, his head bowed in sorrow.

'One of my order, a brother called Vonotar, had explored the forbidden mysteries of the Black Art. Ten days ago he denounced the Brotherhood and killed one of our Elders. He has since disappeared. It is rumoured that he now aids the Darklords.'

You tell Banedon what has happened at the monastery, and of your mission to warn the King. Silently, he removes a gold chain from around his neck and hands it to you. On the chain is a small Crystal Star Pendant. 'It is the symbol of my Brotherhood, and we are both truly brothers in this hour of darkness. It is a talisman of good fortune--may it protect you on your road ahead.'

You thank him, place the chain around your neck and slip the Crystal Star inside your shirt. (Remember to mark this on your Action Chart.)

Banedon bids you farewell. 'We must leave this place lest the Giaks return with more of their loathsome kind to put an end to us. I must return to my Guild. I bid you farewell, my brother. May the luck of the gods go with you.'

Turn to 293.

Well fine. I didn't want no dress wearing pansy in my party anyway.
Boy, this necklace sure is pretty. Shucks. I'm blushing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/acspcl2.gif

293. With a wave of his hand, Banedon leaves the ruins and you continue your mission, pushing on through the thick woods ahead. You have not gone far when you realize several pairs of yellow eyes are watching you from the undergrowth to your left. Suddenly, a black arrow skims the top of your head. It is a Giak ambush and you must run as fast as you can to escape it.

Turn to 281.

OH SHIT!

....flip flip flip.

281. As you race through the trees you can hear the horrible cackle of the Giaks close behind you. Soon the trees start to thin out and directly ahead you can see a rocky hillside.

If you break cover and climb up the hill, turn to 311.

If you change direction and continue your run through the forest, turn to 77.

Well, the hill has the advantage of the high ground. And we all know what that means. But the forest offers more cover. I don't know which way to run!

Help, Talking Time! SHOULD I FOLLOW THE PATH OF THE JEDI?

Ample Vigour
05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Into the woods! Use your camouflage!

Brickroad
05-13-2008, 12:36 PM
I'm pretty sure 'RANEG ROGAG OK--ORGADAKA OKAK ROGAG GAJ!' is Giak for "That mincy wizard stole our Crystal Star!"

This decision is a no-brainer; they're shooting arrows at you. Trees offer cover. Page 77 unless you want to get shot repeatedly.

Plus climbing hills is hard and you've already overexerted yourself by lifting that heavy rock. I warned you against that, you know.

MCBanjoMike
05-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Are you crazy?? Running out of cover onto the hill is suicide! The giaks will make a pin-cushion out of you with their arrows.

By the by, it is totally awesome that you are illustrating this thread. That last drawing was brilliant.

Gredlen
05-13-2008, 12:40 PM
If you had the high ground, it'd be over.
But that Camouflage skill needs to get put to use. Into the forest!

nunix
05-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Loki: are you drawing those little sketches? Those are great!

Alixsar
05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
As tempting as higher ground is, the forest is the way to go. Camouflage, away!

shivam
05-13-2008, 12:43 PM
the Magicians' Guild of Toran

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Towers/3976/toran2.jpg

And i love the pics, dude!

Loki
05-13-2008, 12:46 PM
I figure since there are no screenshots to take...

Anyway, you guy's would all make terrible Jedis. INTO THE WOODS WE GO!

77. The Mountain Giaks are unaccustomed to pursuing their prey through forests and you soon outdistance them, until finally the sound of their grunts and curses disappears completely.

When you are satisfied that they have given up the chase, you stop for a few minutes to catch your breath and check your equipment. With the memory of your ruined monastery still blazing in your mind, you gather up your meagre belongings and push on.

Turn to 19.

These guys sure do give up easily. This is the second time. You think they would be more persistent on wiping out the last of the Kai. Isn't there some legend handed down about me and how I'll destroy the Darklords. I'm sure there is. I mean, I wouldn't be the last if there wasn't one, right? That's how these things work.

19. Just ahead through the tall trees you can see clumps of dark-red gallowbrush, a thorny briar with sharp crimson barbs. The common name for this forest weed is 'Sleeptooth', for the thorns are very sharp and can make you feel weak and sleepy if they scratch your skin.

If you have the Kai Discipline of Tracking, turn to 69.

Doh!

You can avoid the Sleeptooth by returning to the track. Turn to 272.

Or you can push on through the briars, deeper into the forest, by turning to 119.

Even I know it's better not to push through a bunch of poisonous thorns. Three times with the poison sumac was enough to teach me that lesson. But still... I don't have any self confidence and don't really trust my own decisions.

Well, Talking Time. SHOULD I ROLL AROUND IN THE SLEEPTOOTH?

Edit: I explored down the Run up the Hill path a little. There's a cave on the hill where Camouflage can be used. One can never assume with these gamebooks.

Alixsar
05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
It makes sense to go back, but so far we haven't really done much of anything except throw a rock and run a lot. So I say jump in the poisonous thorn bush. Just so we can see what'll happen.

shivam
05-13-2008, 12:49 PM
Hell no, dude. That's for mountain men. Us animal empaths stick to the track.

Brickroad
05-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Push on through the briars. It's the smart play because, even though you'll get a little sleepy, your body will slowly build up an immunity to Sleeptooth poison which will come in helpful I'm sure.

Also I think it'd be really funny if you fell unconscious and got raped by bears. Page 119.

Gredlen
05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Edit: I explored down the Run up the Hill path a little. There's a cave on the hill where Camouflage can be used. One can never assume with these gamebooks.

In that case, the only option is to keep moving through the poisonous briars.

Loki
05-13-2008, 01:12 PM
Okay. You guys know best.

119. The gallowbrush tears your cloak and scratches deep into your arms and legs as you slowly force your way through. Fifteen minutes later you emerge from the briars and stagger onwards between the trees.

Deduct 2 ENDURANCE points from your current score for the wounds you have sustained.

Ow.

You feel a little dizzy as you push on, and your eyelids seem very heavy. You suddenly find yourself at the edge of a steep wooded slope.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic3.jpg

Ba! Snorzlaxzzzzzzzz...

If you wish to slide down the slope as carefully as you can, turn to 226.

If you do not feel that you are up to the risk of this tricky descent in your present sleepy state, walk around the edge of the ridge by turning to 38.

WhosiT! Whrgglglgg... I go down slop now??.... zzz.

Ample Vigour
05-13-2008, 01:15 PM
Super fun happy slide!

Why should you deny him his fun?

Brickroad
05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Not only do I think you should go sliding down the slope, I think you should yell "AAAASS YOOOUUU WIIIIIISH" at the top of your lungs while doing it. I guarantee it will get you laid. Page 226.

Falselogic
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Down the slope, half a sleep, what could go wrong?

Red Hedgehog
05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
Not only do I think you should go sliding down the slope, I think you should yell "AAAASS YOOOUUU WIIIIIISH" at the top of your lungs while doing it. I guarantee it will get you laid. Page 226.

This man knows whereof he speaks.

Rai
05-13-2008, 02:57 PM
I dunno guys, walking around the edge of a ridge while half asleep sounds awesome fun. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

admozan
05-13-2008, 05:25 PM
I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

As the Lone Wolf books say, "Your life and your mission end here."

shivam
05-13-2008, 05:27 PM
cmon guys, exercise some caution. we want loki to draw lots of adventure bits, and can't do that if the fucking adventurer careens off the cliff in a drug induced haze.

Merus
05-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I think I played through this first one, and the second one, without ever seeing a Crystal Star Pendant.

In the third one I got raped by bears and died because I didn't find a triangle. I thought it was a square! I should have watched more Sesame Street.

Brickroad
05-13-2008, 06:47 PM
cmon guys, exercise some caution. we want loki to draw lots of adventure bits, and can't do that if the fucking adventurer careens off the cliff in a drug induced haze.

If he dies we'll let him reload a previous save and try again.

poetfox
05-13-2008, 07:19 PM
If the cliff is an animal... then he could have kinship with it...
Basically, either way could result in death at this point. I feel like there is more humorous potential in trying to walk along the edge of a cliff all woozy and stuff, though, so I'll vote for that.

nunix
05-13-2008, 08:02 PM
The Crystal Star Pendant is a bit of a bitch; it's easy to miss, but it comes up many times over the course of the later books. It's not vital that you have it, but it does tend to make certain things easier, and lends some continuity.

Lone Wolf really promotes the adventure game/packrat mentality, because sure enough, you can generally use stuff later on. Not vital, but useful.

Ample Vigour
05-13-2008, 08:20 PM
Lone Wolf really promotes the adventure game/packrat mentality, because sure enough, you can generally use stuff later on. Not vital, but useful.

What did best for the business model, I think, was that this spread beyond the game into the books themselves. When I first heard about the spoilerswerd, you can bet your ass I bought book two.

Loki
05-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Guys I don't know what to do! Three for down, three for around. We need a tie breaker!

SpoonyGundam
05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Go down. It wouldn't be much of an adventure if you played it safe.

sraymonds
05-13-2008, 09:16 PM
Slides are fun. I say slide down.

Loki
05-13-2008, 10:31 PM
226. At first the descent is quite easy, but you soon find it difficult to see clearly and your legs feel very weak. The 'Sleeptooth' scratches are affecting you, and suddenly you pitch forward and slip head-first into darkness.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

If the number you have picked is 0-4, turn to 277.

If the number is 5-9, turn to 338.

I was sleepy when I pointed at the chart and I landed a 0. Uh-Ohhhhzzzzz....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic4.jpg

277. When you awake, you find yourself lying at the foot of a steep slope in a tangle of tall grasses. Your Backpack and Weapon are missing and your head aches. You cannot tell how long you have been unconscious, but you realize that you must not delay in pressing on with your mission.

Standing up, you see your Backpack is intact but the Weapon is broken in two and is now useless. Remember to cross it off your Action Chart. (If you have more than one weapon, only one of them is broken--you may choose which one it is.) You quickly pick up your Backpack and move off into the trees ahead.

Turn to 113.

No! My axe! How will I gather firewood now? I can't explode firewood with my mind, that's fool's talk there.

113. You have been walking for over half an hour when your eye is caught by some bright red flowers growing near to a mossy bank. You recognize the plants to be Laumspur, a rare and beautiful herb much prized for its healing properties.

Kneeling down, you pick a handful of Laumspur and place it in your Backpack. You may eat this herb to regain lost ENDURANCE points. Each Meal of Laumspur will restore 3 ENDURANCE points, and you have gathered enough for two such Meals.2 Closing your pack, you continue your mission.

If you wish to head northeast, turn to 347.

If you wish to head east, turn to 295.

Well, at least I got some good simples out of this debacle. I'm still kinda woozy, so I'm just going to head east.

295. You have continued your journey for about fifteen minutes when suddenly a black arrow whistles past your head and embeds itself in a tree. Instinctively you duck and draw your weapon.

If you wish to remain where you are in order to try and spot the hidden archer, turn to 185.

If you wish to run for the cover of denser undergrowth, turn to 92.

It might be the drugs talking but this all seems familiar. Do I stay and fight like a man or run away like an animal. A wolf animal.

Ambush, Talking Time! WHAT TO DO?

Gredlen
05-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Your pictures make this thread so much more awesome.

Anyway, we've done enough running. Now that we are weaponless, it's time to stay and fight!

nunix
05-13-2008, 10:40 PM
You have no weapon, which means you're suffering a -4 in combat; run! D&D-ish rules have no place for unarmed wuxia unless you start out some kinda Oriential Adventures monk.

SpoonyGundam
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
You already drew your non-weapon, man. You can't wuss out now.

Face the archer like a man and hope you can mindblast him later.

shivam
05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
fucking RUN, son!

Ample Vigour
05-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Lone Wolf aint going out like no punk! Put up your dickbeaters and fight!

Alixsar
05-13-2008, 11:47 PM
Fight him! Robin Hood ain't got shit!

shivam
05-13-2008, 11:50 PM
dude, you guys are aiming to end this thread in a hurry.

Alixsar
05-14-2008, 12:22 AM
dude, you guys are aiming to end this thread in a hurry.

Hey, he asked for my opinion. This is how I play games. I get burnt out on stats and trying to do the "right" thing. Screw it; let's have some fun and fist fight Robin Hood.

Besides, it autosaved right after he fell down the hill.

Brickroad
05-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Discretion is the better part of valor. You've already shown considerable bravery by drawing your... uh... hands, but arrows are mean and it would probably hurt quite a bit to get poked by them.

Page 92, brother.

Octopus Prime
05-14-2008, 07:37 AM
Discretion might be the better part of valor, but fist fights are the better part of awesome.

And Awesome trumps Valor every time.

Rai
05-14-2008, 07:45 AM
What do you mean you can't mindblast firewood? You're just just not trying hard enough.

Also, you are an unstoppable fist punching, mind blowing dude. What could an archer possibly hope to do? Stand your ground and fight!

MCBanjoMike
05-14-2008, 08:02 AM
Get thy punk ass to some cover, pronto. Hours of Call of Duty 4 have taught me that standing around trying to find the guy who's shooting at you is a poor strategy.

Loki
05-14-2008, 08:37 AM
185. You narrow your eyes and scan the trees for some sign of the hidden archer. Your wait is not a long one, for a moment later a sharp pain tears through your chest and you are thrown back by the force of three arrows. Two of the black shafts have sunk deep into your rib cage, and the third has pierced your thigh.

The last thing that you see is the canopy of fern trees above and a large green dragonfly as it settles on your belt buckle.

Your life and your mission end here.

http://www.free-nature-photos.org/fotodb/8_dragonfly_summer.jpg

Dang. Didn't even get a chance to fight. Looks like MC Banjo nailed this one on the head.

Octopus Prime
05-14-2008, 08:40 AM
They just got lucky. Reload to your last save and try it again!

Punches beat Arrows every time, I swear!

Brickroad
05-14-2008, 08:54 AM
Don't forget to add "Dragonfly" to your Action Chart.

Known Uses: likes belt buckles

Ample Vigour
05-14-2008, 10:07 AM
"Would you like to try again?"
Y

Loki
05-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Let's rewind time a little bit and jump into cover rather than hanging around. WHOOP!

92. You dive for cover not a moment too soon, for a hail of black arrows scream out of the woods and bombard the area where you were standing seconds before. Pulling your cloak around you to blend into the dense bracken, you dash through the forest and away from the hidden ambushers as fast as possible.

That's not to say there weren't any causalities though.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic5.jpg

This entire area is infested by Giaks and you must escape as quickly as you can. You run without rest for over an hour until you happen to fall upon a straight forest path heading towards the east. You follow the path, taking care to keep watch for signs of the enemy.

Turn to 13.

I can run for an hour without stopping but I can't take an arrow to the chest?

13. The path soon ends at a large clearing. In the centre of the clearing is a tree much taller and wider than any others you have seen in the forest.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/small1.gif

Looking up through the massive branches you can see a large treehouse some twenty-five to thirty feet above the ground. There is no ladder, but the gnarled bark of the tree offers many footholds.

If you wish to climb the tree and search the treehouse, turn to 307.

If you would rather press on, turn to 213.

How could I ignore it? Up we go!

307. Your climb is swift and easy. It reminds you of the many trees that you climbed and explored near Toran as a child, when you wanted to pick fruit or to look out over the beautiful countryside of Sommerlund.

Pushing open the treehouse door, you see an old hermit huddled in the corner of the small cabin. A look of great relief spreads across his face as he recognizes your green Kai cloak. He tells you that this area is full of Giaks, and that he has counted over forty Kraan flying over his home in the last three hours. They were heading east.

In the grand tradition of RPG NPCs this old man tells me things I already know.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill17.gif

He scurries over to a cupboard and returns with a plate of fresh fruit. You thank him and place the fruit in your Backpack. There is enough for one Meal. The hermit also produces a fine Warhammer and lays it upon a table by the door. 'Your need is greater than mine, Kai Lord,' he says. 'Please take this trusty Warhammer if you so wish.'

Nice! Who needs an axe when I can have Mjolnir here. Time to bash some skulls!

You may take this Weapon only if you exchange it for another Weapon already in your possession, for it is the only defence that the hermit has against the enemy.

Okay. I'll just leave my fists...

...dang.

Thanking the old man, you carefully descend the tree and continue on your mission.

Turn to 213.

Good bye, old man. Thanks for nothing!

213. You have been trudging through the forest for nearly two hours. The nagging fear that you are lost begins to seem a reality. Apart from the occasional cry of a Kraan in the far distance, you have seen or heard no evidence that the enemy is in this part of the forest. As you descend a rocky hillock, you see something unusual in the tangled woods ahead.

Turn to 331.

About time. So far this adventure has just been a lot of running away. Time to bash some skulls?

Surrounded by thorny briars and closely packed roots, you see the entrance of a tunnel disappearing into the hillside beyond. It is approximately seven feet in height and just over ten feet wide. As you get closer, you can feel a slight breeze coming from the inky blackness. If the other end of this tunnel emerges on the far side of the hill, it could save you many hours of difficult climbing. But it could also harbour unknown danger.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/small34.gif

If you wish to enter the tunnel, turn to 170.

If you would prefer to climb the hillside, turn to 280.

What shall it be, boys? SHOULD I HARBOR UNKNOWN DANGER?

Brickroad
05-14-2008, 10:29 AM
Technically you could have left the old man your broken axe. Or given him your Dragonfly and told him it was a guardian spirit or somesuch rubbish.

Oh wait, you don't actually have the Dragonfly in this timeline.

Anyway, there is approximately a 100% chance that the tunnel is either an abandoned gold mine or a stash for pirate treasure. Harbour yourself on over to page 170.

Octopus Prime
05-14-2008, 10:30 AM
Caves are a frequent source of fun and adventure. Often in that order.

Do it man! DO IT!

Ample Vigour
05-14-2008, 10:39 AM
That's not to say there weren't any causalities though.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

What shall it be, boys? SHOULD I HARBOR UNKNOWN DANGER?

If you don't you will go the rest of your life wishing you had.

Gredlen
05-14-2008, 10:39 AM
The caves might harbor unknown danger and I believe we are a man of danger.

Rai
05-14-2008, 10:46 AM
DRAGONFLY! Truly, your loss shall be avenged.

Well, we've got nothing to lose now. To the caves!

sraymonds
05-14-2008, 11:12 AM
I like this thread. In fact, I like like it.

Also, caves are meant to be explored. Haven't you seen "The Descent"?

Red Hedgehog
05-14-2008, 11:13 AM
In real life, caves are small and rarely have anything in them. In fantasy adventures, they contain monsters and treasure.

Clearly, we want monsters and treasure.

Falselogic
05-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Into the cave, we can mindblast things we can't see! or just mindblast everything, also next time we fight something we must use the battlecry, "For the fallen Kai and Dragonfly!"

Loki
05-14-2008, 12:36 PM
Entering random caves woefully under equipped. I feel like I'm playing Oblivion. In we go!

170. The tunnel is dark and the air is much cooler than outside. You carefully advance with one hand on the tunnel wall to aid your sense of direction. You have been in total darkness for three minutes when you detect the foul smell of decay ahead, similar to rotting meat. If you have a Torch and Tinderbox in your Pack, you may light the Torch to see your way ahead.

Suddenly, something heavy drops from the tunnel ceiling onto your back and you fall to your knees. It is a Burrowcrawler and you must fight it, for it is trying to strangle you with its long slimy tentacles.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill11.gif

Burrowcrawler: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 7

If you do not have a torch, deduct 3 points from your COMBAT SKILL during this fight. The Burrowcrawler is immune to Mindblast and Animal Kinship.

I'm in for a world of hurt.

BATTLE START!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Book1.jpg

FWOSH! FWOSH!

So how battles work for Lone Wolf is I calculate my Combat Skill and subtract the baddie's Combat Skill. I started with a skill of 16, but because it's dark I lose 3, and because I'm weaponless I lose 4 more. That puts mine at 9. Subtract the Harbored Danger's 17 and that leaves me with a Combat Ratio of -8. NOT LOOKING SO GOOD.

Now I pull up this chart.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/crtneg.gif

I grope a number on the random number chart, find it's cross section with my combat ratio, and the chart tells me how much damage I take and how much the enemy takes. The one piece of luck I have on my side is because of the healing skill I'm back to full health after I got all scraped up in the thorns.

TIME TO PUNCH A BUG.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic6.jpg

Round 1

First random number... 1. Crap.

Apparently my swing goes wild missing the Harbored Danger completely, and my momentum takes me off balance and I fall right into the thing's tentacles.

I take 8 points of tentacle rape damage and my endurance is down to 21.

Round 2

The next number I picked was... 1 again!?! Hell. Let me tell you guys I was really tempted to pretend like that never happened and pick again. While pondering my integrity the Danger clawed open my face. I'm down to 13 endurance.

Round 3

C'mon big number big number big number... 6! That's pretty good. Let's see... after wrestling with the bug I've managed to give him some bruises. He takes 4 damage and is down to 3 endurance. But in the tussle I also managed to take 5. I'm down to 8. I just might be able to pull through this battle.

Round 4

Of course if I get 1 again it's all over. I closed my eyes and gritted my teeth... 7! Alright. I Dracula Bit the bug for 5 damage, scraping my teeth on his carapace for 4 gum damage myself. That leaves me with 4 endurance, but it leaves the Burrowcrawler defeated. The only thing you're harboring now, bug, is death! Ha-ha!

319. The slimy creature lets out a long, ghastly death-cry and collapses. You are near to panic and scramble to your feet, grabbing what you think to be your belt from the jaws of the dead beast. You can see light in the far distance, and you sprint for it as fast as you can. When you finally emerge into the daylight, you fall onto the leafy ground and fight for breath in painful gasps.

Wait. I'm went through all that and I didn't even get any pirate gold? What a rip off.

Slowly sitting upright, you notice that you are still wearing your belt--you had not lost it after all. What you grabbed from the jaw of the Burrowcrawler was a leather strap with a small pouch and a sheathed Dagger halfway along it. You break open the clasp to find it contains 20 Gold Crowns. You may take both the Dagger and the Crowns if you are able to.

Feeling a little better now, you gather your Equipment together and push on eastwards into the forest.

Turn to 157.

Alright! It's not pirate gold, but it'll do. And I've got this shiny dagger to replace my axe. Now all I need is a toten' chip and I'll be able to use it.

157. The forest begins to thin out until finally you can make out a road through the trees ahead. The highway is full of people heading south. Many are wheeling their possessions along on handcarts.

If you wish to join the refugees and perhaps learn more of what has happened in the north, turn to 30.

If you would prefer to continue to move south but under cover of the trees, turn to 167.

Two sections with no battles means I'm up to 6 endurance. So, should I eat one of those Laumspur herbs and regain my health or just push on? Maybe I can hold up one of those refugees with my dagger.

It's up to you, Talking Time. SHOULD I ROB THE POOR?

Ample Vigour
05-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Shelter yourself amongst the wretched refuse, yearning to breath free!

Octopus Prime
05-14-2008, 12:41 PM
The Poor must be punished for their crimes! And you were nearly eaten* by a tentacle-bug monster to get this far. I say join them and take their stuff!

And sure, have a nosh.

*God, I hope that thing was going to eat you.

Falselogic
05-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Damn we killed that bug good!

Hang with refugees, as a feared and respected Kai Lord they'll probably shower you with gifts so that you accompany them along this dangerous road! No eating! The refugees want to feed you. If they don't respect you, well you have the dagger rob them blind!

Ample Vigour
05-14-2008, 12:43 PM
God, I hope that thing was going to eat you.

The Subway thread has forever tainted the word "eat" on this board. There are no happy answers here.

Loki
05-14-2008, 12:45 PM
I don't want to be left behind here, so I quickly chew an herb and join the ranks of the worst people on earth.

30. The people look tired and hungry. They have come many miles from their burning city. Suddenly, you hear the beat of huge wings coming from the north.

'Kraan, Kraan! Hide yourselves!' the cry goes up all along the road.

Just in front of you, a wagon carrying small children breaks down, its right wheel jammed in a furrow. The children scream in panic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/small2.gif

If you wish to help the children, turn to 194.

If you'd rather run for the cover of the trees, turn to 261.

Here's a better choice, Talking Time. WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?

Octopus Prime
05-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Oh man, even I'm not that big a jerk. Plus I don't know what a Kraan is.

Save them babies!

Gredlen
05-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Those are some damn ugly children. In fact, I don't even know if they're human. Maybe they're goblins with wigs. On the other hand, saving people always means rewards, right? And we just beat up a giant freaking bug with our bare hands, so I think we can take on just about anything right now.

Loki
Kraan are the Lone Wolf equivalent of Wraith Riders.

...I think.

Falselogic
Whatever a kraan is I'm sure mindblast and a dagger can handle it!

Brickroad
05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah, I've kind of tried to be the biggest asshole possible in all my votes so far, and I can't justify letting the kids die.

Plus, I'm sure the author of the book also felt this way.

Page 194.

MCBanjoMike
05-14-2008, 12:54 PM
You'd better munch on one of those herbs if you're gonna be facin' down the giaks, man.

nunix
05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Kraan are big pterodactyl-ish mounts for Giaks, and sometimes Helghasts.

Ample Vigour
05-14-2008, 01:00 PM
Helghast-Schmelgast, let's save some kids!

SlimJimm
05-14-2008, 01:08 PM
And I've got this shiny dagger to replace my axe. Now all I need is a toten' chip and I'll be able to use it.

Ha ha i get it.

Probably should help the kiddos and see if you get any goodies.

Red Hedgehog
05-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Helping kids gets us experience and reward! Plus, I tend to think of our character as noble, but stupid.

shivam
05-14-2008, 01:45 PM
that bug was totally going to go all Kohr-ah on your ass.
http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sc2/images/korah-complex.gif

save the kids!

Alixsar
05-14-2008, 02:07 PM
Screw kids, they're annoying. Cheese it!

Also, I'm a little disappointed that they don't let you fight the archer. That's bull crap. But oh well. Like I said before, luckily it auto-saved.

Octopus Prime
05-14-2008, 02:13 PM
that bug was totally going to go all Kohr-ah on your ass.
http://starcontrol.classicgaming.gamespy.com/sc2/images/korah-complex.gif

save the kids!

Oh man, that makes that bug way, way, WAY scarier.

And I never noticed that pile of bones at the Kor-Ah's... mouth(?) before? That makes them worse still!

PapillonReel
05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
I don't think I could justify leaving them to die. Save the kids!

SpoonyGundam
05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
You guys aren't trying hard enough if you can't justify leaving the kids.

The Giak on that thing is probably looking for you and that crazy necklace, after all. The kids would be in more danger if you stayed there with them!

Clearly, the only reasonable course of action is to abandon them and lead the monster away.

Brickroad
05-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Clearly, the only reasonable course of action is to abandon them and lead the monster away.

What if one of the kids has a hot, single mom?

SpoonyGundam
05-14-2008, 03:10 PM
Well, that's when you come back after heroicly leading the monster away and slaying it to bask in the people's admiration.

You'd probably have a higher chance catching the mother's heart if her kids didn't get torn apart during your epic fight with the giant bird thing! Probably.

Alex
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Lone Wolf never gets any action no matter what number you poke on the chart, so leave the kids.

Octopus Prime
05-14-2008, 04:30 PM
Yes, but think about it. Whose more likely to give you treasure; The parents of children saved from giant space-pterodactyls, or the parents of freshly slaughtered children?

Think of the loot. The loot is the most important thing in any fantasy setting!

Loki
05-14-2008, 05:27 PM
194. You sprint towards the wagon. People are running everywhere in panic as the Kraan make their attack, carrying their poor victims off into the darkening sky. A large Kraan is hovering above the wagon and three snarling Giaks drop from its back onto the startled horses. You must fight them or leave the wagon and run to the safety of a nearby farmhouse.

If you wish to fight the Giaks, turn to 208.

If you wish to run to the farmhouse, turn to 148.

I didn't come this far just to abandon those orphans now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic7.jpg

The ghoulish creatures thrust their spears at you and attack. Fight these creatures as a single enemy.

Giaks: COMBAT SKILL 15 ENDURANCE 13

If you win, you can run to the safety of the farmhouse by turning to 148.

Or you can return to the woods by turning to 320.

Okay, Mind'spolsion works and these fools. So that's +2 Combat Skill which brings me to 18. Minus their 15 leaves a ratio of 3! Yes! In the pink!

Round 1

Picked a 0. That might seem bad, but if you look at the chart. 0 does the highest amount of damage!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/crtpos.gif

My mind radiates waves of pure explosion to the tune of 16 damage. There are three loud pops and then... silence.

The silence of orphan awe.

148. Kicking open the door, you dive into the farmhouse. A Kraan soars overhead, letting out a shriek of victory, a victim hanging in its claws. Getting to your feet, you find yourself alone. But propped against the fireplace is a Warhammer. You may take this Weapon if you wish.

So saving the children I run into the farmhouse, leaving the children to die. Don't like it? Well you can just talk to Mr. Warhammer here.

If you want to stay in the farmhouse, turn to 81.

If you would feel safer in the forest, you can make a dash by turning to 320.

If you wish to search the room further, turn to 199.

LOOT!

199. Most of the cupboards and drawers are empty. Whoever lived here took nearly everything they owned with them, but you do manage to scrape together enough fruit in the cellar for one Meal. You may mark this on your Action Chart.

Turn to 81.

Let's wait around and see what happens.

81. After nearly an hour, the Kraan and their cruel riders vanish towards the west. As the shocked refugees start to emerge from the woods, you can hear the sound of horses in the distance galloping nearer. You stay hidden and wait as the riders come closer. They are the cavalry of the King's Guard wearing the white uniforms of His Majesty's army.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/small6.gif

If you wish to call to them, turn to 183.

If you would rather continue along the forest edge towards the south, turn to 200.

Nah, I'm tired of being Lone Wolf. I want to be Has A Lot Of Friends Wolf.

"Hello! Guards! I'm safely in this house. I could have brought those kids I save with me but... well, you know how it goes. I'm still a hero though!"

The officer orders his men to halt and asks you your business. You tell him who you are, and how the monastery has been destroyed. He is deeply saddened to hear your news. He offers you a horse and asks you to accompany him to Prince Pelathar, the King's son.

If you accept, turn to 97.

If you decide to decline his offer, turn to 200.

Welp, Talking Time. SHOULD I JOIN THE ARMY?

Ample Vigour
05-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Be all that you can be, Lone Wolf!

Gredlen
05-14-2008, 06:07 PM
We need to be recognized for our valiant deeds and turning down an invitation to meet the prince would not be a good start.

Red Hedgehog
05-14-2008, 06:13 PM
In the Navy!... er Army!

Maybe some organized combat will do us good.

Octopus Prime
05-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Princes probably have stuff that you can "obtain" through "legal" means. Go for the knight guy and become a dog of the military!

Alixsar
05-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Go talk to the prince.

20 bucks says the prince is evil and will try to kill you and/or the king, if he hasn't already.

Rai
05-15-2008, 05:36 AM
I say go, just so you can make fun of Pelathar. What kind of name is Pelathar, anyway?

So go, make fun of the Prince's stupid name!

PapillonReel
05-15-2008, 06:02 AM
Join the army - I hear they have great benefits.

Falselogic
05-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Lone wolf having grown up surrounded by men, is probably getting a little lonely for some totally hetero man-cuddling, which we all know can be found in the army as long as no one tells...

So into the Army with him!

sraymonds
05-15-2008, 09:49 AM
To truly become the Lone Wolf, you must first become an army of one.

That doesn't help though, does it?

Loki
05-15-2008, 09:51 AM
They're not asking and I'm not telling!

97. Ahead of you, you can see a fierce battle raging across a stone bridge. The clash of steel and the cries of men and beasts echo through the forest. In the midst of the fighting, you see Prince Pelathar, the King's son. He is in combat with a large grey Gourgaz who is wielding a black axe above his scaly head. Suddenly, the Prince falls wounded--a black arrow in his side.

That was abrupt. I join the army and am immediately trust into a battle? What happened to the training montage where at first I can't even run through a field of tires but gradually through the song I get better and better until I'm scaling walls and crawling under wires and all sorts of tire running?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill7.gif

If you wish to defend the fallen Prince, turn to 255.

If you wish to run into the forest, turn to 306.

I have no desire to return to that forest. I'M COMING MY LEIGE!

The creature that you now face is a Gourgaz, one of a race of cold-blooded reptilian creatures that dwell deep in the treacherous Maakenmire swamps. Their favourite food is human flesh!

The Prince's Sword lies at your feet. You may pick up and use this weapon if you wish.

I'm going to ditch this puny Warhammer and claim myself a sword finally. I just can't bare to give up this dagger. We've been through so much together, you see.

The Gourgaz is about to strike at you--you must fight him to the death.

Gourgaz: COMBAT SKILL 20 ENDURANCE 30

This creature is immune to Mindblast.

YEARGHHHHH!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic8.jpg

COMBAT RATIO: 16 - 20 = -4

Round 1

I randomly pick 6. The sound of our weapons clashing rings across the battlefield. The jolt of the impact radiates through the lizard's puny arms and does to him 6 shake damage. My arms are made of more durable man-meat and so I only take 3. Down to 26 endurance.

Round 2

I grope the number chart and come up with a 4. We both manage to cut each others arm off at the same time and each take 4 flesh wound damage. Down to 22 endurance.

Round 3

I randomly caress a 1. While he's hacking away at me, dealing 6 damage, my high pitched screams of pain deal 1 inner ear damage to him. Wait... doe lizards even have ears? Anyway, down to 16 endurance.

Round 4

This time the chart shows me some love and I flick a 9. Sally here strikes at me with his axe but it bounces harmlessly off my manly chin. Meanwhile, I've managed to pierce his duodenum with the Prince's sword. REVENGE! He takes 9 damage and I remain at 16 endurance.

Round 5

The love continues! I stabbed an 8! The lizard flicks his tongue out at a passing fly. Missing it completely, he manages to lick my eyeball. I take 1 poke-your-eye-out damage. Never one to take an eye licking sitting down I retaliate by slamming the swords hilt into his face dealing 8 I'll-never-be-pretty-again damage. I'm down to 15 endurance.

Round 6

Bad times. I touched a 2. The lizard advances on me, swinging his axe over his head. I'm so scared that I take 5 wet pants damage. In one last desperate move I throw the sword at him. Of course it goes wild and just barely nicks his shoulder. But still it does the 2 damage I need to kill him. Standing over his corpse, one foot planted squarely in his skill, I declare victory.

The giant Gourgaz lies dead at your feet. His evil followers hiss at you and then fall back from the bridge. The Prince's soldiers form a protective wall around you and their dying leader with their shields. Black arrows whistle past your head.

The dying Prince looks up into your eyes and says, 'Kai Lord, you must take a message to my father. The enemy is too strong, we cannot hold him. The King must seek that which is in Durenor or all is lost. Take my horse and ride for the capital. May the luck of the gods ride with you.'

You bid a sad farewell to the Prince, mount his white steed and head south along the forest path. The battle still rages behind you as the Prince's men fight off another assault on the bridge.

Turn to 235.

I'm going to name this horse after my favorite movie.

"Away, Dirty Dancing, we must warn the king!"

235. Dirty Dancing is indeed a magnificent animal, fast and sure of foot. You gallop along the twisting track as if it were a straight highway, until the noise of battle has disappeared far behind you.

You are hungry and must eat a Meal during your ride.

This leaves me with just one meal left of healing laumspur, in case you weren't paying attention.

After several miles, the path stops abruptly at a junction. There is a signpost, but it has been hacked down.

If you wish to use your Kai Discipline of Tracking, turn to 254.

If you wish to turn left, go to 32.

If you wish to turn right, go to 146.

I always adhere to that old adage: "When in doubt, go left."

32. You have ridden about three miles when, in the distance, you spot the unmistakable silhouette of five large Doomwolves. Riding on their backs are Giaks. They seem to be going on ahead to where the path leads down into an open meadow. Suddenly, one of the Giaks leaves the others and begins to ride back along the path towards you.

If you wish to hide in the undergrowth and let him pass, turn to 176.

If you wish to fight him, turn to 340.

Well, my healing has only brought me back up to 13 endurance. On the other hand I now have this big ol' sword and Dirty Dancing here, so I'm not so bad off.

What shall it be, Talking Time. SHOULD I PRESS MY LUCK?

Ample Vigour
05-15-2008, 09:59 AM
NO WHAMMY NO WHAMMY NO WHAMMY NO WHAMMY FIGHT!

PapillonReel
05-15-2008, 10:01 AM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/PapillonReel/PYLGSM4.jpg

Brickroad
05-15-2008, 10:05 AM
Um, as I recall the Prince said to take a message to his father, not play with monsters in the woods. Unless you're the type of ingrate who would jack a dying man's sword and then run off with it while denying his final wishes, get thee to page 176.

Falselogic
05-15-2008, 10:09 AM
When we got Dirty Dancing, so lets go ahead and take on 3 wolf riders on a horse... we can totally take them

nunix
05-15-2008, 10:13 AM
That fucking Gourgaz. I have died to him so many times. If you don't take Healing, and you run into ANY kind of combat before him, you're almost always doomed. 30 Endurance? MADNESS.

Octopus Prime
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
Given how often the book suggests you hide in the undergrowth or forest or whatever, there's obviously something there.

Go, Bravely Hide!

Ample Vigour
05-15-2008, 10:16 AM
Um, as I recall the Prince said to take a message to his father, not play with monsters in the woods. Unless you're the type of ingrate who would jack a dying man's sword and then run off with it while denying his final wishes, get thee to page 176.

There's no reason Lone Wolf can't do both. As evidence I present

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic8.jpg

EDIT: I love how completely this book presents a kingdom in flames. Does anyone know if Enemy Within came before or after this was published?

shivam
05-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Who did the art in the book itself?

Red Hedgehog
05-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I think it's time for Sir Robin to bravely run away. Mostly because of a childhood fear of dogs/wolves.

nunix
05-15-2008, 10:31 AM
Who did the art in the book itself?

Gary Chalk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Chalk) did the early books (including the covers for the original 1-5 UK editions, but those were redone for NA publishing and later Red Fox redid all their UK covers with yet another artist); starting with Cauldron of Fear (#9) it switched over to Brian Williams. He's got a very distinct and interesting style.

Octopus Prime
05-15-2008, 10:50 AM
For a brief second, I thought that Optimus Primal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Chalk_%28actor%29) was the artist.

Imagine my disappointment.

Rai
05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
There has been a sad lack of brain explosions recently.

You must rectify this. Now. Fight!

Loki
05-15-2008, 02:36 PM
Fight narrowly wins. Let's beat up some more orcs!

...I mean Giaks.

Hi-Ho, Dirty Dancing! Charge!

You gallop forward to meet the oncoming Doomwolf and rider, your Weapon raised to strike. The Giak sees you and unsheathes his scimitar. You must fight both Giak and Doomwolf as one enemy.

Giak + Doomwolf: COMBAT SKILL 14 ENDURANCE 24

If you win the fight, turn to 193.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic9.jpg

Combat Ratio: 16 + 2 - 14 = 4

Round 1

I randomly stabbed a 4. Good thing for the high combat ratio because I'm hurting for endurance here. Dirty Dancing runs down that dirty Giak, leaving little cartoon hoof prints all over him and dealing 8 damage. It's a bumpy ride though and I take 2 damage to my crotch leaving me with 11 endurance.

Round 2

4 again. I circle around the wolf slashing with the Prince Sword (it has a funky symbol on its hilt). This is bad news for the Giak who losses another 8 endurance but even worse news for my balls. 2 crush damage leaves me at 9 endurance.

Round 3

4 AGAIN. A great sweep from my blade takes off the Giak's head. And just for good measure I brain explode the wolf. I've won the battle but I don't think I'll ever be able to father children. I win with 7 endurance.

Victory!

193. The beast and its rider lie dead. You notice a Scroll tucked into the Giak's belt. You may take this if you wish, but remember to mark it on your Action Chart. The other Doomwolves are charging along the path towards you.

If you wish to fight them, turn to 253.

If you wish to escape into the woods, turn to 126.

This scroll looks important. I with I had the Kai discipline of literacy. I'm pretty weak right now and those Giaks look tough. The forest is awfully tempting...

But as always, Talking Time, the choice is yours. SHOULD I STAY AND FIGHT OR SHOULD I STAY ALIVE?

Ample Vigour
05-15-2008, 02:39 PM
It looks like cowardice is the better part of valor here.

Poor Lone Wolf's Balls! Rest well, little soldiers...

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Take the scroll and run like hell.

PapillonReel
05-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Run, run, run away, and live to see another day!

Fight it out picture

Very small nitpick: You drew a halberd, not a scimitar.

Falselogic
05-15-2008, 02:43 PM
also known as heroically fleeing!

Rai
05-15-2008, 02:53 PM
So much for a grand master plan of fathering more Kai Lords...

I mean, uh, you've fought well! Now flee!

shivam
05-15-2008, 02:56 PM

i was totally coming here to say that.
http://www.georgehernandez.com/h/xMartialArts/Media/Swords/scimitar.jpg

Loki
05-15-2008, 03:04 PM

Yeah well I drew the Giak jumping over the children holding a scimitar and not a battle axe and you guy's didn't freak out over that.

Red Hedgehog
05-15-2008, 03:29 PM
Without experience points, I guess there's no reason to grind. So, uh, valiantly head away to fulfill the prince's wishes!

Falselogic
05-15-2008, 03:34 PM
The art is awesome! and as an artist you are allowed "artistic freedom" to interpret scimitar however you want to. Ignore the nay-sayers and nit-pickers

shivam
05-15-2008, 03:41 PM
it doesn't matter anyway. the kid hopping on his horse is more than enough to win the battle =)

Loki
05-15-2008, 05:04 PM
126. You ride deeper and deeper into the forest. Silently you thank the Prince for Dirty Dancing, for although the ground is a tangle of briars and roots, he never once falters. The Doomwolves are soon left far behind and you bring your horse to a halt. The light has faded fast and it is almost night.

If you wish to press on ahead, turn to 46.

If you wish to bear left (the same direction as the path you left far behind) then turn to 143.

Always go left. Except the light's fading and I get confused easily. I went ahead by accident. Sorry, guys.

46. You have covered about two miles when the trees ahead thin out. You can see a small wooden shack on the edge of a lake. A cloaked man approaches you and offers to row you and your horse across the lake for a fee of 2 Gold Crowns.

If you have the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, turn to 296.

If you accept the offer, turn to 246.

If you refuse and try to ride around the lake, turn to 90.

Alright, finally a chance to use a skill I have. I Spiderman the geriatric and find out he's up to no good.

296. You sense something is wrong. With fighting all around and the forces of the Darklords so near, why has this man stayed in the forest? You feel a strange aura of evil about him and decline his offer.

Turn to 90.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/evil_aurajpgrZd222556.jpg

That is one evil aura.

90. Night falls and you are soon engulfed in total darkness. To press on would be useless, for you would be sure to lose your way. Tethering your horse to a tree, you pull your green Kai cloak about you and fall into a restless sleep.

Turn to 18.

Dang. There's a lot of page flipping in this part of the book. I guess that's good for me. Each time I thumb through the book I regain some Endurance.

18. You are awoken by the sound of troops in the distance. Across the lake you see the black-cloaked figures of Drakkarim and a pack of Doomwolves and their riders. A Kraan appears from above the trees and lands on the roof of the small wooden shack.

It is ridden by a creature dressed in red. The Kraan takes off and begins to fly across the lake to where you are hidden.

If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Camouflage, turn to 114.

If you wish to ride deeper in the forest, turn to 239.

If you wish to fight the creature, turn to 29.

While it's tempting to fight the thing it's also more tempting to hide like a coward. ZWOOP!

114. You coax the horse to lie down and begin to cover him and yourself with branches and dead leaves. You hear the wings of the Kraan as it passes over the trees. It returns and circles above you, but soon retreats back across the lake.

You decide to leave now, in case it returns with some of its friends.

Turn to 239.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic10.jpg

239. As you push on into the forest, you hear the wings of the Kraan pass above the trees and disappear northwards. You ride on for nearly an hour until you come to a clearing. On the far side is a track that leads off to the south.

If you wish to enter the clearing and take the south exit, turn to 34.

If you would rather skirt the edge of the clearing and pick up the track further on, turn to 118.

It's strange that I'm given a choice here. I've ridden through plenty of innocent clearings on my adventure. Something smells fishy...

What's the word, Talking Time. AM I AFRAID OF A CLEARING?

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
Camouflage was worth picking up for that picture alone. The upside-down horse is just perfect.

For once, I'm going to advise caution here and say you should avoid the clearing.

Rai
05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
This doesn't sound like a trap at all. I know, I've been in traps before. Lots of them. And I've barely found any!

I can't see how going into a clearing of all things is dangerous. Unless... those worm things drop from the sky again.

shivam
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM
Camouflage was worth picking up for that picture alone. The upside-down horse is just perfect.

and the bird's nest.

Red Hedgehog
05-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Maybe the clearing is a Dryad's grove and we will get some nookie! I say go for the clearing.

Falselogic
05-15-2008, 06:29 PM
well your spidersense isn't tingling so it must be safe, into the clearing!

Ample Vigour
05-15-2008, 08:30 PM
Bird's nest is king!

Stay hidden; I bet something happens with or without you plunging into it.

Loki
05-15-2008, 10:42 PM
I ain't afraid of no clearing!

Without warning, a terrible apparition in red robes swoops down from the sky on the back of a Kraan. Its cry freezes your blood. The beast is a Vordak, a fierce lieutenant of the Darklords.

He is above you and you must fight him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill3.gif

OH SHIP! IT'S THAT ONE GUY!

Deduct 2 points from your COMBAT SKILL unless you have the Kai Discipline of Mindshield, for the creature is attacking you with the power of its Mindforce as well as with a huge black mace.

Vordak: COMBAT SKILL 17 ENDURANCE 25

If you win, turn to 328.

This guy sure does cut an imposing figure. There's only one thing to say when confronted with a threat like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic11.jpg

Combat Ratio: 16 - 2 - 17 = -3

Round 1

Touched a 3. Oh man, he did not like that crack about his hat, though it did do him 3 absurd headgear damage. He maced my face for 5 damage in retaliation. You know what? Totally worth it.

I'm down to 9 endurance.

Round 2

4 on the chart. We take a turn to glare at each other, this guy and I, and in the process both do 4 sizing-up damage to each other. Ouch? I'm down to 5 endurance.

Round 3

I felt an 8! While he was trying to mind blast me I blasted his mind and it made his mind miss the mind blast while my mind blast blasted his mind at full force. MIND BLAST! He took 8 blasted mind damage, and while trying to figure out just what happened I took 1 confusion damage. I'm at 4 endurance.

Round 4

9! If I keep my luck up I might just survive this scrap. You know what such a high number on the chart means? SWORD TO THE GROIN! Bif! He takes 9 doubles-over-in-pain damage and misses his chance to strike me. I take the opportunity to do a little dance and mock his hat again.

Round 5

My lucky finger touches a 6. He manages to smack me around a little bit and I eat 3 more endurance. With all the pluck and grim determination I have I gather up my strength and plunge my sword right through his stupid head. "Barf!" he says, and dies. I'm at 1 endurance.

WOW. I'm honestly amazed I beat this guy.

You know what, I'm going to take this opertunity to eat my last Laumspur herb. I may be out of meals, but my endurance is restored. Phew!

328. As the creature dies, its body slowly dissolves into a vile green liquid. You notice that the grass and plants beneath the smoking fluid are beginning to shrivel and die. But a large valuable looking Gem lies on the ground near to the decaying body.

If you wish to take the Gem, turn to 76.

If you would rather leave as quickly as possible, turn to 118.

Don't want to leave any spoils of war laying around.

76. The Gem feels very hot and burns your hand. Lose 2 ENDURANCE points. You quickly grab it with the edge of your cloak and slip it into the pocket of your jacket.1 A Gem that size must be worth hundreds of Crowns! You smile at your good fortune, mount your horse and ride off along the south track.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/small5.gif

Turn to 118.

Yes, sir! C'mon, Dirty Dancing, 118 awaits!

118. You spur your horse to a gallop and race down the long straight path. In the far distance you can just make out the silhouette of Holmgard on the horizon, its high walls and tall spires glinting in the morning sun. Your path joins a highway running from north to south. It is the main turnpike road between the northern port of Toran and the capital. You set off towards Holmgard, your eyes peeled for Kraan in the clear morning sky.

Turn to 224.

Finally! Alright, Dirty Dancing, we're going to 224 now.

224. You have ridden several miles and have seen no sign of refugees or of the enemy. You race on towards a high ridge in the middle distance. You should be able to see the capital from there.

As you reach the peak, the sight that meets you on the far side is one of hope--but there is still one challenge you know you have to face.

Turn to 153.

The book says I know that I have one challenge to face, but I totally didn't know before it said so.

Let's go, Dirty Dancing, 153 now...

153. Before you are the tall grey-white walls and glimmering spires of Holmgard, the city's banners fluttering from the battlements in the fresh morning breeze. Stretching out towards the west, the River Eledil traces its course from the mountains of the Durncrag range to the Holmgulf. But below the mountain peaks you can see a vast black army marching relentlessly on towards the capital.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/small13.gif

To your right you can see the highway heading off over the rolling plain towards Holmgard. At a gallop you could make the outer fieldworks of the city's defences in less than an hour, but you would be in the open for most of the time and vulnerable to attack by Kraan. Directly ahead of you, a wide river drifts sluggishly towards the Eledil. If you abandoned your horse, you could swim towards the outer defences under cover of the river banks. Or there is a final alternative. To your left lies the Graveyard of the Ancients. These tombs and crumbling monuments to a forgotten age would conceal your approach but it is a forbidden area. Many are the unnamed horrors that lie there in restless sleep, waiting to consume the unwary trespasser.

If you will try your luck by the highway, turn to 202.

If you feel that you stand a better chance of reaching the capital via the river then turn to 135.

Or if you are brave enough to risk the unknown perils of the Graveyard of the Ancients, turn to 329.

This is it, Talking Time! HIGHWAY, RIVER, OR GRAVEYARD?

Out of game note: My fiancée's mom is coming out for the weekend. I don't know if I'll have a chance to update again before she leaves. I'll try but it could be Monday at the latest before I can post again.

PapillonReel
05-15-2008, 10:46 PM
The Graveyard or bust.

poetfox
05-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Well, there's no way Dirty Dancing can be left behind, so there's no way you can use the river. We've proven that riding through places without cover makes people swoop down and leave you expensive gems, so the highway might be the way to go if you like money. And who doesn't like money? You gotta buy Dirty Dancing some Horse Armor, or something.

shivam
05-15-2008, 10:55 PM
i wanna see you draw the graveyard.

incidentally, these sketches are fucking great. Go Supper Squid!

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I'm torn between the highway and graveyard, so I flipped a coin and got graveyard.
Definitely not the river, though. We can't leave our horse behind.

Merus
05-15-2008, 11:13 PM
I took Healing when I went through this, so I was at full health the entire time.

What I'm trying to say is that you're so very screwed.

Ample Vigour
05-15-2008, 11:14 PM
Not a single "I ain't afraid of no ghosts!" post? For shame, Talking Time.

For shame.

Graveyard! Leave no horse behind!

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 11:19 PM
I thought we did take Healing. Why aren't we using that?

shivam
05-15-2008, 11:22 PM
every time he flips a page, he gains two endurance back because of healing.

Gredlen
05-15-2008, 11:30 PM
every time he flips a page, he gains two endurance back because of healing.

Oh, I didn't realize it was passive. Maybe I should pay attention to these things.

nunix
05-15-2008, 11:48 PM
The comabt reports (hat damage, etc) reminds me of Kingdom of Loathing. I approve.

mr_bungle700
05-16-2008, 12:34 AM
I can't imagine anything that could possibly go wrong in a place called the Graveyard of the Ancients. That is obviously the safest course of action that you could take next.

Lakupo
05-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Whether it's safe or not the Graveyard of the Ancients must be full of AWESOME LOOT. Oh, wait, it was probably taken already by almost-ancient grave robbers. STILL! It is the way to go!

Octopus Prime
05-16-2008, 06:26 AM
I don't even see how this is up for debate.

You get your tuckus into that grave yard, and don't come out until you've killed either a really big ghost, or a skeleton made up of a bunch of different skeletons.

Rai
05-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Graveyard of the Ancients?

Not only is it a graveyard, which has clues to bigger places to awesome stuff to grab, it is of the Ancients. This doubles all loot! At least, it does in Munchkins. Or something.

I believe a trip to rob some graves is in order.

Red Hedgehog
05-16-2008, 07:49 AM
I concur, this is no choice. Especially because some friendly ghost is bound to give us some help in the graveyard.

MoltenBoron
05-16-2008, 08:21 AM
I'm sure the graveyard is filled with friendly ghosts who just want to help. If the ancients were that evil, they wouldn't have put them right next to the capital. Go that way.

JohnB
05-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Having owned all 20 Lone Wolf books published in the US, along with the Gray Star series and Legends of Lone Wolf books, I have the following to say:

A)Enjoyed this thread immensly. YAY LOKI! You have resurrected the joy I had in the series for all our fellow Talking Tyrants to take part in. (You can also buy the books, which have been nearly 20 years out of print!) (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/series.php?qsSeries=24)Your sketches are killer.

B)DO. NOT. GO. INTO. THE. GRAVEYARD.

shivam
05-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Also, hey, how can we make sure that Loki gets the rest of this series? we can't fucking stop now, folks.

Brickroad
05-16-2008, 10:21 AM
B)DO. NOT. GO. INTO. THE. GRAVEYARD.

This is just crazy talk. The sooner you get into that graveyard, the sooner you can get mangled by crazy ghosts and reload your game and not go into the graveyard.

JohnB
05-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Also, hey, how can we make sure that Loki gets the rest of this series? we can't fucking stop now, folks.

Here you go. (http://www.projectaon.org/en/Main/FireOnTheWater) Loki can keep cribbing from this source.

nunix
05-16-2008, 11:30 AM
jjb: These guys are pretty headstrong. Also, they picked up a mysterious, burning gem! Why wouldn't they take that into a graveyard? ;)

Loki
05-17-2008, 09:15 AM
329. As you descend the ridge towards the Graveyard of the Ancients, you are aware of a strange mist and cloud that swirls all around this grey and forbidding place, blocking the sun and keeping the Graveyard in perpetual gloom.

I drew my dagger because it's a rule that if you're going to fight the undead you must be woefully under equipped.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic12.jpg

A creeping chill seems to penetrate your very bones. Dirty Dancing becomes startled and no matter how you urge him on, he refuses to go any nearer to this dreadful place. So you must leave Dirty Dancing and press on by foot.

Turn to 284.

That's okay. I'm sure he'll be nice and safe in this dangerous graveyard. It won't be long before I seem him again. I'm sure of it.

284. Your passage through the Graveyard will not be easy, for the ground is broken and covered with a thorny graveweed. This wicked briar tears your cloak and cuts your legs. The air hangs heavy and still. Foul gases seep from open crypts and the haunting murmur of distant whispering fills your ears.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill16.gif

Carefully, you approach a gap between two ancient pillars, and part the graveweed with your cloaked hand. Suddenly, the ground collapses beneath you and you fall in a tumble of earth and stone.

Turn to 71.

That's no problem. It would be hard to rob graves if I didn't get down and dirty. This is right where I want to be.

71. You are winded but not hurt. You have fallen fifteen feet or so through the roof of an underground tomb. The walls are sheer and you cannot climb them. An arched tunnel leads out of the tomb towards the east, in front of which lies the sarcophagus of some ancient noble.

If you wish to use the Kai Discipline of Sixth Sense, turn to 65.

If you wish to open the sarcophagus to see if it contains any treasure, turn to 242.

If you wish to leave via the tunnel, turn to 104.

Go, Spidy sense, and warn me that the sarcophagus is evil!

65. Your senses scream at you that this place is very evil.

Thanks!

Leave as quickly as you can.

Turn to 104.

Whoop whoop whoop whoop!

The walls are dank and slimy. The stale air chokes you and cobwebs brush across your face. You can feel panic grip your stomach, as the tunnel gets darker and darker.

You reach a junction where the tunnel meets a corridor leading from north to south.

If you wish to turn north, go to 26.

If you wish to go south, turn to 100.

Ah, North or South, the eternal question.

What shall it be, Talking Time. ETERNAL DOOM OR ETERNAL DEATH?

PapillonReel
05-17-2008, 09:31 AM
100 sounds like a nice, round number. South it is!

Rai
05-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Oh god, what have we done!?

Quickly, southward!

MCBanjoMike
05-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Go south, young kai lord!

MoltenBoron
05-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Eh. The South will rise again, but I don't see any reason why you should help it along. Go North.

Falselogic
05-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Go north, only to be contrary!

Ample Vigour
05-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Go south without me; I'm too busy mourning Dirty Dancing to go on an adventure.

Loki
05-17-2008, 11:48 AM
100. The cold corridor suddenly makes an abrupt turning towards the east. You notice a greenish glow that lights the tunnel in the far distance. As you creep nearer you can see that the corridor opens out into a larger chamber.

The strange light seems to emanate from a large bowl resting upon the top of a granite throne. On a plinth in front of the throne stands a statue. It looks like a winged serpent curved in the shape of an 'S'.

If you wish to sit on the throne, turn to 161.

If you wish to examine the statue, turn to 133.

If you wish to look for an exit from this chamber, turn to 257.

As the last Kai lord not sitting on the throne would be an insult to my position.

161. As you sit down, the stone serpent slowly moves forward on its plinth. You suddenly break out in a cold sweat and grasp your weapon with trembling fingers in case it should attack. A red forked tongue appears from the head of this strange statue and dips into the bowl of green light above your head. Slowly the tongue re-emerges holding a Golden Key which, to your surprise, it drops into your lap. A panel in the east wall clicks open to reveal an exit.

You take the Key and leave as quickly as possible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/small16.gif

Turn to 209.

So far this graveyard has been disappointingly short of ghouls and ghosts. I want action not keys.

209. You see ahead a corridor sloping upwards, and as you reach the top of this slope, a stone portal slides across to reveal another passage ahead.

You step through the opening which then quickly closes with a crunch.

Turn to 23.

Not zombies in here either. Drat.

23. The corridor soon widens into a large hall. At the far end, a stone staircase leads up to a huge door. Two black candles on either side of the stone steps dimly illuminate the chamber. You notice that no wax has melted, and as you get nearer you can feel that they give off no heat. Ancient engravings cover the stone surfaces of the walls.

Maybe it's a Zombie door.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill2.gif

Anxious to leave this evil tomb, you examine the door for a latch. An ornate pin appears to lock the door, but there is also a keyhole in the lockplate.

If you have a Golden Key and wish to use it, turn to 326.

If you have the Kai Discipline of Mind Over Matter, turn to 151.

If you wish to remove the pin, turn to 337.

How convenient that I just received the key to this door. This is most boring ancient tomb I've ever been in.

326. You carefully insert the Key and turn it clockwise. You hear a dull click--the Key works. You lift out the pin, and the large granite door slowly swings towards you on hidden hinges. The grey half-light of the Graveyard floods into the tomb. The exit is overgrown with graveweed and you suffer many cuts to your face and arms as you fight your way through to the surface.

Looking back, you see the tomb door slowly close and a cruel inhuman laugh seems to rise out of the very ground on which you stand. In blind panic, you race through the eerie necropolis towards the south gate.

Turn to 61.

And now I'm leaving. Having gained nothing I've managed to waste some time and loose a horse. What a fun diversion.

61. At last you can reach the wooden fieldworks surrounding the outer city. As you race towards a sentry post, you can hear the excited shouts of the guards cheering you on. Thank the gods that they recognize you, for you must appear a ragged and suspicious figure. Your cloak is torn and hangs in tatters, your face is scratched and blood-smeared and the dust of the Graveyard covers you from head to toe.

Splashing through a shallow stream, you stagger towards the gate. The full horror of the Graveyard encounter begins to catch up with you. The last thing you recall before exhaustion robs you of consciousness, is falling into the outstretched arms of two soldiers who have run from the fieldworks to help you.

Turn to 268.

Yes, the horror of boredom. I blame you guys. Who knows what adventures I might have encountered if only I had gone north.

268. You black out for only a few minutes before you are revived with a measure of strong spirit. Feeling weary but thankful to be alive, you lean on the shoulders of the King's men and you stagger towards the outer defences.

Turn to 288.

At least we're back on track. To the king!

288. As you reach the walls of the fieldworks, the large oak gates open and you are quickly hurried inside. A sergeant, bloodstained and battle-weary, calls to an officer who turns and recognizes your cloak.

'My Lord,' he says. 'Where are the other Kai Masters? We are in desperate need of their wisdom. The Darklords press us most cruelly and casualties are high.'

You inform the brave officer of the terrible fate of your kinsmen, and the urgency of your mission to seek the King's council. Without saying a word, he motions to a soldier to bring forward two horses. You both mount and gallop off towards the high city wall of Holmgard.

Turn to 129.

I can't really think of a good name for this horse. Maybe you guys have some suggestions?

129. You reach the main gates of the capital, and stare in awe at the height of the city's walls. Two hundred feet high, the walls of Holmgard have withstood the ravages of both time and the Darklords. You and the officer race through the tunnel of the inner gatehouse, one hundred yards in length, and finally halt outside the doorway of the main watchtower. Great crowds of soldiers and civilians are running to and fro.

If you wish to continue following the officer, turn to 3.

If you feel that you stand a better chance of making your way to the King's citadel on your own, turn to 144.

At least here's a chance to explore the city, or should I just stay on course and meet the king?

It's up to you, Talking Time! SHOULD I BECOME A RUDE AND IGNORANT TOURIST?

PapillonReel
05-17-2008, 11:52 AM
But of course! Bon jorr, ass too parll franksays?

Rai
05-17-2008, 11:57 AM
The horse should be named Elmer. I really like his glue, so I believe he deserves to have horses named after him.

But you should stay with the officer! We don't want to possibly lose another horse to our most mistaken adventures.

Ample Vigour
But of course! Bon jorr, ass too parll franksays?

What he said.

Thinaran
You'll probably be stabbed to death in an alley, this guy is no urbanman. Follow the officer I say.

shivam
05-17-2008, 12:01 PM
PATRICK SWAYZE

also, tourist.

Shadax
05-17-2008, 12:05 PM
name the horse Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Dancing:_Havana_Nights)

Brickroad
05-17-2008, 12:06 PM
Possible horse names:
Dirty Dancing II
Son of Dirty Dancing
Dirtier Dancing
Dirty Dancing Goes to Hollywood

The officer is probably leading you into a trap. He'll also certainly prevent you from buying a "my homeland was burned down and I got lost in a graveyard and all I got was this stupid t-shirt" t-shirt. Page 144!

sraymonds
05-17-2008, 12:26 PM
I'd name the second horse Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights.

Or 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Thinaran
05-17-2008, 12:27 PM
name the horse Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Neighs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirty_Dancing:_Havana_Nights)

fix'd.

:(

PapillonReel
05-17-2008, 12:28 PM
How about "She's Like The Wind"?

Octopus Prime
05-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Name the horse after one of my favorite episodes of The Twilight Zone. Name him... It's a Good Life: The Horse Edition*.

And stick with that soldier, he's less likely to stab you to death then the people in town.

*I'm also willing to accept:
To Serve Horse
Little Horse Lost
The Horses Are Due on Maple Street
~or~
Horse Enough At Last

sraymonds
05-17-2008, 12:41 PM
How about "She's Like The Wind"?

I think you're just fooling yourself.

Alixsar
05-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Go with the guard. Tourists are jerks.

Loki
05-17-2008, 01:07 PM
Those are all great horse names, but there's only one that rises above the others.

Me and Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights ditch the officer while he's busting some punks for loitering and go off into the city on our own.

144. You fight your way through the press of bodies along the main street towards the citadel in the distance. City folk are rushing to and fro in the grip of panic, as the cries of Kraan are heard circling high above.

In the crush, one item is stolen from your Backpack. If you no longer have a Backpack or if you have no Backpack Items, you lose a Weapon. Remember to take this off your Action Chart.

Luckily, I get to pick what item is stolen. It's between the gem and the scroll which I never read. The gem has to be worth money, so the thief makes off with the scroll.

A runaway horse and cart career past and knock you into a doorway. You are stunned and you lose 2 ENDURANCE points.

The book seems to have forgotten I'm riding Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights. But don't worry, I'll never forget her.

As you stagger to your feet, the door bursts open and a decrepit old man attacks you with a meat cleaver. He is quite insane and you must fight him or take evasive action.

If you choose to fight, turn to 63.

If you wish to evade a fight, turn to 217.

Hell yeah! Now this is what I'm talking about! Dirty Old Man Hobo Fight!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/Pic13.jpg

63. The wild old man is screaming at you. He blames you for the war and curses the Kai Lords as agents of the Darklords. He will not listen to reason and you must fight him.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill6.gif

Madman: COMBAT SKILL 11 ENDURANCE 10

If you win, turn to 269.

Combat Ratio: 16 + 2 - 11 = 7

This old man ain't gunna known what hit him. Time for a smack down.

Round 1

"Get out of my way old man," I yell as I punch him in the face. He reels backwards, upsetting a barrel full of apples. The apples spill out onto the street when they roll under the hobo's feet. He tries to regain his balance but ends up comically flopping his arms around while his feet fly about in every direction. He flips up into the air and down into a pile of Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights manure taking 14 pratfall damage. "Manure, he says spitting some out, "I hate manure."

VICTORY!

The madman lies dead at your feet. Two soldiers soon appear at the doorway and immediately congratulate you. They tell you that he was an escaped lunatic whom they had been tracking for the last two days. One of the soldiers gives you 10 Gold Crowns reward money and offers to escort you to the citadel.

No way. Not only do I get to beat up an old man I get paid for it as well. This city ROCKS.

If you accept his offer, turn to 314.

If you would prefer to trust your own sense of direction, turn to 7.

"No thanks, officer. I'm sure I can make it on my own." Heck, there might be some more downtrodden to fight.

7. For what seems an eternity, the rush of the crowd carries you along like a leaf on a fast-flowing stream. You desperately fight to stay on your feet, but you feel weak and dizzy from your ordeal, and your legs are as heavy as lead. Suddenly, you catch a glimpse of a long, narrow stone stairway that leads up to the roof of an inn.

Gathering the last reserves of your strength, you dive for the stairs and climb slowly up to the top. From here you can see the magnificent view of the rooftops and spires of Holmgard, with the high stone walls of the citadel gleaming in the sun.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill1.gif

The houses and buildings of the capital are built very close to each other, and it is possible to jump from one roof to the next. In fact many of the citizens of Holmgard used to use the 'Roofways' (as they are known) when the heavy autumn rains made the unpaved parts of the streets too muddy for walking. But after many accidents, a royal decree forbade their use.

After careful thought, you decide to use the 'Roofways', as they are your only chance of reaching the King.

I don't know if they're my only chance, but they certainly are the best.

You have hopped, skipped and jumped across several streets and you are only one street away from the citadel when you come to the end of a row of rooftops.

The jump to the next row is much further than anything you have tried before, and your stomach begins to feel as if it were full of butterflies. Determined to reach the citadel, you turn and take a long run-up to the jump. With blood pounding in your ears, you sprint to the edge of the roof and leap into space, your eyes fixed on the opposite rooftop.

Pick a number from the Random Number Table.

If you have picked a number that is 0-2, turn to 108.

If the number if 3-9, turn to 25.

Let see here.... 7!

25. You land with such a crash on the opposite roof, that the wind is knocked out of you and you lie flat on your back with your head in a spin.

It takes a minute or so for you to realize that you've made it and are perfectly safe. When you are sure you are all right, you jump up and let out a shout for joy at your skill and daring.

Whoop!

Quickly you find a way across the roof and climb down a long drainpipe to the street below. You see the large iron doors of the citadel open, and a wagon drawn by two large horses tries to leave. The horses are frightened by the noisy crowd and they both rear up, causing the wagon to smash a front wheel against the door. In the confusion, you see a chance to enter and quickly slip inside just as the guards slam the doors shut.

Turn to 139.

I'm guessing Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights didn't make the jump. How is it that I can't keep a horse in this game?

Loki
05-17-2008, 01:08 PM
139. The inner courtyard is a bustle of activity. Cavalry scouts are waiting beside their nervous horses for messages from their unit commanders inside the Great Hall. They take orders with great speed to the defenders of the outer fieldworks. No sooner do they gallop off, than other scouts return, many of them breathless and wounded.

You have taken less than a dozen steps across the courtyard when you hear a deep voice boom out. 'Stop that man!'

Turn to 66.

Oh boy, another fight!

66. Startled, you turn around to see a burly sergeant and two soldiers running towards you, their swords drawn as if to strike.

You prepare to defend yourself for it looks as if they are about to attack first and ask questions later; but suddenly the sergeant calls his men to a halt. He has recognized your cloak. They put away their weapons and apologize many times for their mistake. The sergeant orders one of the men to fetch the captain of the Guard as he leads you to the doors of the Great Hall.

Or not... things feel like they're wrapping up here. I can't decided if the dirty old man makes for the worst last boss ever or the best.

You are greeted by a tall and handsome warrior who listens intently to your story. When you have finished the account of your perilous journey to the capital, you notice a tear in the brave man's eye as he bids you to follow him. You walk through the splendid halls and corridors of the inner Palace. The richness and grandeur are a wonder to behold. You eventually arrive at a large carved door, guarded by two soldiers wearing silver armour.

You are about to meet the King.

Turn to 350.

I actually made this guy cry? Well... now that I think about it... I can see what. OH DIRTY DANCING AND DIRTY DANCING 2: HAVANA NIGHTS I SWARE I'LL AVENGE YOU!!!

350. You enter the Chamber of State, a magnificent hall decorated lavishly in white and gold. The King and his closest advisers are studying a large map spread upon a marble plinth in the centre of the chamber. Their faces are lined with worry and concentration. A silence fills the hall as you tell of the death of your kinsmen and of your perilous journey to the citadel. As you finish your story, the King approaches and takes your right hand in his.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Flight%20from%20the%20Dark/ill20.gif

'Lone Wolf, you have selfless courage: the quality of a true Kai Lord. Your journey here has been one of great peril and although your news comes as a grievous blow, the spirit of your determination is like a beacon of hope to us all in this dark hour. You have brought great honour to the memory of your Masters, and for that we praise you.'

You receive the praise and heartfelt thanks of the entire hall--an honour that brings a certain redness to your young face. The King raises his hand and all the voices cease.

'You have done all that Sommerlund could have asked of a loyal son, but she is greatly in need of you still. The Darklords are powerful once more and their ambition knows no bounds. Our only hope lies within Durenor with the power that once defeated the Darklords an age ago. Lone Wolf, you are the last of the Kai--you have the skills. Will you journey to Durenor and return with the Sommerswerd, the sword of the sun? Only with that gift of the gods may we crush this evil and save our land.'

The End.

CONGRATULATIONS, Talking Time. Thanks to your help I have successfully fled from the dark. I only died once and ended up with a gem, a dagger and a dead prince's sword. Also, I gained 34 gold though I didn't have a chance to spend it. All in all it was a pretty successful adventure. Later I'm going to post the rest of the pictures from the book, plus one I drew that didn't get used. After that we'll find out all about fire and its location to water.

Octopus Prime
05-17-2008, 01:13 PM
I nominate Crazed Derelict as the Best Final Boss Ever.

Ever.

shivam
05-17-2008, 01:23 PM
ONWARDS TO THE SEQUEL!

and dude, you never got the hardcore sword. there is one, isnt there?

nunix
05-17-2008, 01:46 PM
and dude, you never got the hardcore sword. there is one, isnt there?

ONWARDS TO THE SEQUEL!

Maybe!

I never liked that "council" illustration. The focus is this giant Conan-looking guy in the middle of the picture, but the actual king is kind of in the corner there on the left. Every single time I see it I immediately think, "Is it some kind of evil king? Ah, no, just his general-guy."

Nice work, Loki. =)

mr_bungle700
05-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Congratulations!

You've made an awesome Let's Play.

Consider yourself a hero.

Rai
05-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I'm actually kind of ashamed that we only got you killed once.

Really. We tried so hard.

Ah well. At least the second book has more death possibilities! Even if you'll probably be too overpowered to be killed by them.

shivam
05-17-2008, 04:06 PM
(i love that we're totally taking for granted that loki will grace us with a beautifully illustrated sequel thread)

mr_bungle700
05-17-2008, 04:26 PM
He'd better!

If he knows what's good for him.

Ample Vigour
05-17-2008, 05:00 PM
This was a marvel. Loki, you got me right here.

From now on, when I think of Lone Wolf, I will picture a deformed little hobgoblin with a sword bigger than he is. Thank you for that.

sraymonds
05-17-2008, 07:32 PM
A++ would read again.

Lumber Baron
05-17-2008, 07:47 PM
Eight pages of responses and not a single "white flight" joke? Come on people.

nunix
05-17-2008, 08:03 PM
The tenth result of "white flight lone wolf" in google is.. your post.. so whatever you're hoping for is maybe a little obscure? =p

Merus
05-17-2008, 10:15 PM
Considering how much better LW2 is compared to LW1, I would very much hope for a sequel thread.

poetfox
05-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Yes please yes please yes please on the sequel thing, but even without it, this was indeed a really damn good thread. Way to be awesome, Loki.

Gredlen
05-17-2008, 10:44 PM
I still can't believe that we got ourselves into more trouble in five seconds of wandering around the city than in the whole time we spent in that stupid graveyard.

mr_bungle700
05-17-2008, 10:46 PM
I told you that graveyard was safe!

Merus
05-17-2008, 11:16 PM
I still can't believe that we got ourselves into more trouble in five seconds of wandering around the city than in the whole time we spent in that stupid graveyard.
To be fair, that trap we got out of with Sixth Sense was probably deadly.

Alixsar
05-17-2008, 11:27 PM
To be fair, that trap we got out of with Spider Sense was probably deadly.

But anyway, I like that the final boss of this game was jumping from one roof to another.

Octopus Prime
05-18-2008, 02:00 AM
But anyway, I like that the final boss of this game was jumping from one roof to another.

It was kind of like Prince of Persia, in that regard.

The final enemy was even a decrepit old man!

Merus
05-18-2008, 02:37 AM
Secret: if you decide to follow the guards, they take you straight to the King.

Loki
05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
I decided that I'm not going to post the rest of the pictures from Flight From the Dark. If you're really interested to see what we missed go check it out on your own at Project Aon.

I'm not your errand boy, I've got a Sword to find.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Fire%20on%20the%20Water/firewater.jpg

The Story So Far . . .

our journey to the capital was perilous indeed. The enemy had overrun much of the country and were marching upon Holmgard, the capital itself. But despite the many dangers, you fought your way through to the capital and delivered your warning to the King's court. There you were greatly praised for your skill and bravery but told your mission was not complete: with the Kai Lords dead, there remained only one power in all of Magnamund that could save your people from the Darklords--the Sommerswerd.

After the defeat of Vashna, the Sommerswerd had been bestowed upon the allies of Durenor as a mark of trust and allegiance that exists between the two kingdoms. In return, King Alin of Durenor gave Sommerlund a magnificent golden ring bearing the royal arms of Durenor. This ring is known as the Seal of Hammerdal. At that time, King Alin vowed that if ever the shadow of the west should rise again to threaten Sommerlund, Durenor would come to the aid of her ally.

The King has given you the Seal of Hammerdal. Your quest is to travel to Durenor to fetch the Sommerswerd back. But meanwhile the enemy have broken through the outer defences to the capital and are preparing to besiege the city wall. As Captain D'Val of the King's Guard leads you to the Royal Armoury to equip you for your mission, the King's words keep coming back to you:

'Forty days, Lone Wolf. We have strength to stand against them for only forty days.'

He's putting a time limit on my quest? There goes all the aimless wandering.

If you successfully completed the mission as set in Book 1 of Lone Wolf, you may add a further Kai Discipline of your choice to your Action Chart in Book 2.

All right! Level up! Help me out, Talking Time. Which new discipline should I learn? The ones left to chose from are:

Hunting

This skill ensures that a Kai Lord will never starve in the wild. He will always be able to hunt for food for himself except in areas of wasteland and desert. The skill also enables a Kai Lord to be able to move stealthily when stalking his prey.

Tracking

This skill enables a Kai Lord to make the correct choice of a path in the wild, to discover the location of a person or object in a town or city and to read the secrets of footprints or tracks.

Weaponskill

Upon entering the Kai monastery, each initiate is taught to master one type of weapon. If Weaponskill is to be one of your Kai Disciplines, pick a number in the usual way from the Random Number Table, and then find the corresponding weapon from the list below. This is the weapon in which you have skill. When you enter combat carrying this weapon, you add 2 points to your COMBAT SKILL.

Mindshield

The Darklords and many of the evil creatures in their command have the ability to attack you using their Mindforce. The Kai Discipline of Mindshield prevents you from losing any ENDURANCE points when subjected to this form of attack.

Mind Over Matter

Mastery of this Discipline enables a Kai Lord to move small objects with his powers of concentration.

Equipment

Guard Captain D'Val leads you to the Royal Armoury where your green tunic and Kai cloak are taken from you to be repaired and cleaned. While you await their return, Captain D'Val hands you a pouch of Gold for your journey. To find out how much gold is in the pouch, pick a number from the Random Number Table. Now add 10 to the number you have picked. The total equals the number of Gold Crowns inside the pouch, and you may enter this number in the 'Gold Crowns' section of your Action Chart. (If you successfully completed Book 1, you may add this sum to the total of any Crowns you may already possess.)

On a large table in the centre of the armoury, a number of items have been laid out for your choice. You may take any two of the following:

Sword (Weapons)

Short Sword (Weapons)

Two Meals (Meals)

Chainmail Waistcoat (Special Items). This adds 4 ENDURANCE points to your total.

Mace (Weapons)

Healing Potion (Backpack Item). This can restore 4 ENDURANCE points to your total, when swallowed after combat You only have enough for one dose.

Quarterstaff (Weapons)

Spear (Weapons)

Shield (Special Items) This adds 2 points to your COMBAT SKILL when used in combat.

Broadsword (Weapons)

If you are already carrying Weapons from Book 1, you can take this opportunity to exchange one or both of them.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/Fire%20on%20the%20Water/Pic1.jpg

So many choices... I'm looking at that shield, but ultimately it's up to you guys.

C'mon, Talking Time. IT'S A NEW ADVENTURE.

sraymonds
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I'd go with tracking as your new skill, and the shield and two meals for your new equipment.

EDIT: Did not know that he already had a chainmail waistcoat.