PDA

View Full Version : VC 6/4: Zelda II, also other games.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 06:29 AM
Milon's Secret Castle® (NES®, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Comic Mischief, 500 Wii Points): It is a world where music is the language of the people. An evil warlord from the north arrives and captures the castle. The princess is imprisoned deep within the castle, and the world's musical instruments are taken and hidden away. Our hero, Milon, takes it upon himself to fight the warlord, rescue the princess and recover the people's musical instruments. He has only his wits and the magical Bubble to aid him on his quest. Help Milon along the way by looking for hidden doors, finding secret items and defeating fierce enemies. Make sure to look for the shops inside the castle, where you can buy hints and valuable items. Whenever Milon finds a Music Box, he will be transported to a bonus stage. Each instrument you find will add a layer to the background music. Try to grab all seven instruments to create a performance worthy of a music-themed game.

ToeJam & Earl™ in Panic on Funkotron (Sega Genesis, 1-2 players, Rated E for Everyone - Comic Mischief, 800 Wii Points): During ToeJam and Earl's trip back home, a number of Earthlings hitchhiked on their spaceship and are now infesting planet Funkotron. ToeJam and Earl must track down the Earthlings in order to capture them in large jars and ship them back to Earth in spaceships. It is also their funky mission to find 10 beloved objects belonging to Lamont the "Funkapotamus," the source of all funk in the universe, so they can persuade him to return to his favorite funk-filled planet. ToeJam and Earl must use their "funk powers," such as Funk Move and Funk Scan, to assist in evading and capturing the Earthlings.

Dead Moon (TurboGrafx16, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Fantasy Violence, 600 Wii Points): This side-scrolling shooter includes a total of six scenes spanning areas from Earth to the moon. The story begins with a comet discovered in the vicinity of Pluto that is headed on a sudden collision course with Earth. Mankind narrowly succeeds in diverting the comet's course, and it crashes into the moon. However, investigations into the damage uncover that what hit the moon was not a comet, but a gigantic mother ship. Power up your ship, destroy enemies and fight your way through the bosses in an attempt to reach the moon's core and protect Earth from alien invasion. Enjoy the unique world of Dead Moon, including various stages with beautiful backgrounds, a power-up system that increases your attack as well as your defense and bosses that have you altering your ship's direction to fight them.

... and the 100th game in the Wii Shop Channel:

Zelda II™ - The Adventure of Link® (NES, 1 player, Rated E for Everyone - Mild Fantasy Violence, 500 Wii Points): Link returns to Hyrule to search for the Triforce and to awaken Zelda from an endless sleep. Embark on a quest to find the Triforce of Courage and save Hyrule from ruin. Learn magic spells, talk to people in towns to get clues, collect items to increase your power and explore six palaces where the underlings of the evil Ganon await you. This sequel to the Adventure classic uses a side-scrolling visual engine unique to the series for more technical combat, and features more in-depth world roaming as Link encounters townsfolk while on his quest.

Wow, there's other games beside Zelda II this week. Including a lackluster Genesis sequel and a lackluster TG-16 shooter. But hey, Milon's Secret castle. Zelda is going to be getting the most attention; depending on who you ask it's either an underated classic or an overpolished turd. I think it's okay. The original Zelda is one of the best games ever made and would be difficult to top by any means. And being one of the worst games in the Zelda franchise is hardly an insult. I'm just an old-fashioned nerd: I like my Mario to be side-scrolling and I like my Zelda top-down. It's just a matter of preference.

sraymonds
06-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I sort of jumped the gun and grabbed a used copy of Zelda II for my GBA, and I was really into it, until I learned that you lose your experience points when you die. I planned on buying all the Zelda games for the Wii, but maybe now I’ll only get most of the games.

TheSL
06-04-2007, 07:08 AM
Like I said over on Nerdhampton before the reopening, I think I'm going to pass on Zelda II for the VC. This is the only game in the series I never had the patience to beat, but I've already got the GC compilation disc and an NES cart of the game if I ever get the urge to try.

estragon
06-04-2007, 07:53 AM
I don't have a Wii, but I also played Zelda 2 on the GBA recently, at least in part because of all the debates about it on the now vanished Talking Time 2.0. I have to say that I liked it, but in a totally different way than any other Zelda game. It was great for me because I had been playing a ridiculous amount of RPGs at the time, and the twitch action involved in the fighting was a nice change of pace. I also enjoyed that the enemies were difficult to the extent that they seemed cheap at first, but that with practice you could learn to take them down pretty consistently.

Basically, I enjoyed it, but for totally different reasons than I would normally enjoy a Zelda game.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Zelda 2 is the only Zelda I have liked. The rest were too easy, and from Ocarina on, I hate the mechanics. Jumping puzzles with auto-jump? No.

estragon
06-04-2007, 08:17 AM
auto-jump? No.

PLEASE DON'T MENTION AUTO-JUMP AROUND HERE, IT WILL BE TERRIBLE.

. . .

No. Seriously.

TheSL
06-04-2007, 08:18 AM
Geez, here comes another 18 page "discussion"...

shivam
06-04-2007, 09:44 AM
i've always loved zelda 2. it was darker, and had a link that was brooding and blacker than before, an old hardened fighter who has seen a lot. I loved the towns and the map, and i loved that the final boss was his own inner darkness come out to fight him.

zelda 2 would make a great novel.

poetfox
06-04-2007, 09:45 AM
See, I've always found it so tedious to press an actual button to jump. Shouldn't the game just KNOW I want to jump and do that shit? So when I first auto-jumped in Ocarina...
Okay, nevermind.

None of these games really hold any appeal for me, though my brother had originally told me to let him know when Zelda II hit and tell him, and I did, so chances are good he might pass me five bucks to pick that up for him.

estragon
06-04-2007, 09:53 AM
a link that was brooding and blacker than before

Brooding . . . ?

Is there some other Zelda 2 where Link mopes instead of having fast paced 2D sword fights? I played through this for the first time just a month or so ago, and I didn't really notice any brooding.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, so I apologize if this comes off as sarcastic. But, I'm seriously confused about what you're talking about. Where is this brooding you speak of?

reibeatall
06-04-2007, 09:54 AM
Brooding . . . ?

Is there some other Zelda 2 where Link mopes instead of having fast paced 2D sword fights? I played through this for the first time just a month or so ago, and I didn't really notice any brooding.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here, so I apologize if this comes off as sarcastic. But, I'm seriously confused about what you're talking about. Where is this brooding you speak of?

Didn't you play the one where Link cuts himself with that pussy little "sword" he's got?

shivam
06-04-2007, 09:58 AM
the manual. remember back in the days when the story of the game didn't exist outside of the back of hte box and the manual? in it, link is older, darker, and hardened. and not a freakin' emo. more like a guy who has seen a lot of war.

alexb
06-04-2007, 09:58 AM
Sword, straight razor, they both have an edge. I liked the part where you had to find him some eyeliner and fingerless gloves before he would even bother beating the third palace.

estragon
06-04-2007, 10:06 AM
the manual. remember back in the days when the story of the game didn't exist outside of the back of hte box and the manual? in it, link is older, darker, and hardened. and not a freakin' emo. more like a guy who has seen a lot of war.

So, what you're saying, then, is that the manual from Zelda II would make a great novel?

Now I'm even more confused. I think this just boils down to us having very different ideas about what concepts will translate well to becoming novels.

reibeatall
06-04-2007, 10:07 AM
That's why I couldn't ever beat Zelda 2. I couldn't figure out how to rhyme "hate my parents" in the Poem-writing dungeon.

estragon
06-04-2007, 10:08 AM
"hate my parents."

Don't eat Clarence?

shivam
06-04-2007, 10:17 AM
i like zelda 2 because it allowed me to imagine a darker hyrule that had been ravaged by the wars with ganon, and come out worse for wear. I like the idea that link had settled down and given up his sword, and was dragged back into battle. I like that the bosses of the various castles all felt psychological, even if they weren't. I loved the maze, and the nature of death valley, and the fact that you fought your shadow.

I think i like it because zelda 2 provided a world and allowed you to create your own narrative, like D&D.

alexb
06-04-2007, 10:21 AM
He was still just a kid. 16, if I recall. I agree that Hyrule had obviously fallen on hard times. I liked the aspect that Ganon's followers were running amok now that the boss was dead. But I never saw Link as hardened. Determined, yes. Brave, sure. But he was still a relative innocent.

shivam
06-04-2007, 10:26 AM
then what the fuck do i know =)

alexb
06-04-2007, 10:28 AM
No need to get defensive. I'm just saying I didn't get the darker tone you're talking about.

shivam
06-04-2007, 10:31 AM
i was young and didnt know any better. i still like the game alot =)

Squall
06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
As the only good console Zelda game before Wind Waker, I love Zelda 2.
I really do need to buy a Wii or a 360.

Excitemike
06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
He was still just a kid. 16, if I recall.
Yeah, but back then the life expentancy was, like, 30. Link was in his mid-life crisis.

alexb
06-04-2007, 11:17 AM
Man, they're elves. They'll live forever if you don't bleed 'em.

thomp538
06-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Zelda II along with Rygar and Star Tropics were probably my favorite/most played games from the NES era. I actually made it to the last palace in Zelda II and the last boss before the era of game genie, but I could never beat him. Years later Nesticle and infinite, or at least 99 lives let me finish the game.

ShakeWell
06-04-2007, 12:40 PM
As the only good console Zelda game before Wind Waker, I love Zelda 2.
I really do need to buy a Wii or a 360.

As opposed to all those arcade Zelda games?

Kishi
06-04-2007, 12:46 PM
I liked the aspect that Ganon's followers were running amok now that the boss was dead.

The best part was that they were actively hunting for Link so they could kill him and spill his blood on Ganon's ashes, which would then revive their dark lord. That's got to be one of the creepiest concepts to ever figure into a Nintendo plot, and the ominous Game Over screen with Ganon's silhouette and glowing eyes was the perfect finishing touch.

TheSL
06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
As opposed to all those arcade Zelda games?

I would assume he means Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, etc i.e. portable.

Sporophyte
06-04-2007, 01:08 PM
The best part was that they were actively hunting for Link so they could kill him and spill his blood on Ganon's ashes, which would then revive their dark lord. That's got to be one of the creepiest concepts to ever figure into a Nintendo plot, and the ominous Game Over screen with Ganon's silhouette and glowing eyes was the perfect finishing touch.

Don't forget the evil laugh Ganon had at your expense.

cartman414
06-04-2007, 01:31 PM
The original Zelda is one of the best games ever made and would be difficult to top by any means. And being one of the worst games in the Zelda franchise is hardly an insult. I'm just an old-fashioned nerd: I like my Mario to be side-scrolling and I like my Zelda top-down. It's just a matter of preference.

OTOH, I always felt that Zelda 1 was good, but not great, due to moderately clunky 4 directional controls, not to mention the reused rooms in which you always knew which block to push after the first time around. Yeah, memory limitations at the time, I know.

Kishi
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
The original Zelda was only good for setting up the basic game structure of A Link to the Past.

Red Hedgehog
06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
For some reason, every so often when I wake up, I have the dungeon theme from Zelda II in my head. The game had good music.

I really like the game and it would probably go in my top 20 list of NES games, though I like the original better.

cartman414
06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Link's sword may have been short in Zelda II, but at least he could stab very quickly with it. It wasn't much of a problem for me after I got used to the combat.

Not to mention that regarding the "unfriendliness" of the level up system, if you wanted to upgrade one of your other stats first, you could select the "wait for next" (or whatever it was called) option.

Tomm Guycot
06-04-2007, 02:06 PM
i like zelda 2 because it allowed me to imagine a darker hyrule that had been ravaged by the wars with ganon, and come out worse for wear. I like the idea that link had settled down and given up his sword, and was dragged back into battle. I like that the bosses of the various castles all felt psychological, even if they weren't. I loved the maze, and the nature of death valley, and the fact that you fought your shadow.

I think i like it because zelda 2 provided a world and allowed you to create your own narrative, like D&D.

In short, MGS4 would make a great Zelda game.

Just kidding, Shivam. I love Zelda 2 also.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 02:08 PM
Link's sword may have been short in Zelda II, but at least he could stab very quickly with it. It wasn't much of a problem for me after I got used to the combat.

Not to mention that regarding the "unfriendliness" of the level up system, if you wanted to upgrade one of your other stats first, you could select the "wait for next" (or whatever it was called) option.

Hell, if you thought that was unfriendly, the Japanese version reset all your levels to be equal to the lowest one when you continue. At least the U.S and European versions let you keep the levels, just not the EXP.

Sporophyte
06-04-2007, 02:43 PM
The level up system isn't that bad. Really it's all about having just gained a level right before a boss since those statues give you a level up regardless of your current amount of exp.

Does anyone else have fond memories of Milon? I rented it twice and even though I never progressed very far in it back in the day (I only got to the well) I was quite charmed by it.

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 02:48 PM
The level up system isn't that bad. Really it's all about having just gained a level right before a boss since those statues give you a level up regardless of your current amount of exp.

Does anyone else have fond memories of Milon? I rented it twice and even though I never progressed very far in it back in the day (I only got to the well) I was quite charmed by it.

I owned it, and I actually managed to beat it once. That game was a monster.

Squall
06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Yes, those totally badass portable Zeldas. I don't know why they're always so much more fun, especially Link's Awakening (so awesome). It might relate to the inclusion of a real plot and endearing characters.

I realized when I beat Wind Waker, that was only the 2nd time ever for me to fight Ganon. After all, everyone has played through Zelda 3. It was almost decent when they put it on GBA.

mr_bungle700
06-04-2007, 09:05 PM
Disparaging remarks against Link to the Past? If I believed in the use of smilies I would be frowning at you so hard right now.

bobservo
06-04-2007, 09:14 PM
I can't stand that warbled effect that most of the music in Zelda 2 has. It's like it was the colored lighting of 1988.

thomp538
06-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I spent hours hacking away at those bouncing balls of light just for their 50 experience points.

cartman414
06-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Yes, those totally badass portable Zeldas. I don't know why they're always so much more fun, especially Link's Awakening (so awesome). It might relate to the inclusion of a real plot and endearing characters.

Mainly it was because they tended to be tighter about the way they were designed, as well as the great item sets.

Parish
06-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I can't stand that warbled effect that most of the music in Zelda 2 has. It's like it was the colored lighting of 1988.
Track down the original FDS version sometime, the music is much better. Apparently the warble was to mask the fact that the cart version was lacking a sound channel. Because shrill distortion is a great substitute for tonal depth!

cartman414
06-04-2007, 10:27 PM
Track down the original FDS version sometime, the music is much better. Apparently the warble was to mask the fact that the cart version was lacking a sound channel. Because shrill distortion is a great substitute for tonal depth!

I wish chips with enhanced sound capabilities, a la Akumajou Densetsu (Japanese CV3) were a bit more common. Come to think of it, no wonder some people mistakenly thought the Japanese CV3 was a Famicom Disk game.

There's a youtube video that does a pretty thorough comparison between the two versions of Zelda II. Among them was a bigger dragon at the end of the sixth palace.

j00ey
06-04-2007, 10:30 PM
The FDS version has even more warble. though I probably don't even know what "warble" properly means. Screw it, watch this (http://www.youtube.com/v/shtPb6D-NFs).

I like how after you die on the FDS it sounds like you broke the system.

cartman414
06-04-2007, 11:39 PM
The FDS version has even more warble. though I probably don't even know what "warble" properly means. Screw it, watch this (http://www.youtube.com/v/shtPb6D-NFs).

Come to think of it, it did. The FDS extra sound channel sounded pretty quirky.

Torgo
06-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Wait a second... is that the first boss that Link is using the downward thrust on in that video?

Coinspinner
06-05-2007, 12:04 AM

I like the NES sounds better. :/

cartman414
06-05-2007, 12:11 AM
Wait a second... is that the first boss that Link is using the downward thrust on in that video?

Yeah. Not to mention level 1 life and no heart containers. Talk about hardass, especially for the FDS version, which resets everything to the lowest common level on game over.

estragon
06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
I like the NES sounds better. :/

I like the NES gameplay better. The FDS dragon looks pretty lame, and NES got that wacky guy with the spiky ball thing instead of a boring upgrade of an earlier boss. Also, the NES wizard boss dude at least has something vaguely resembling a survival instinct built into its AI, wheras the FDS one seems like it's trying to kill itself.

Also, the level up system isn't nearly as painful.

The more I learn about it, the more it sounds like Japan got really screwed over as far as Zelda II is concerned.

Kishi
06-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Hardware capabilities be damned, the American score sounds much better than the Japanese one. See also: Dracula II (FDS) and Castlevania II (NES).

Deadguy2322
06-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Mainly it was because they tended to be tighter about the way they were designed, as well as the great item sets.

I chalk it up to Miyamoto not having anything to do with them, ensuring new ideas instead of boring rehash.

Kishi
06-05-2007, 08:36 AM
Link's Awakening was directed by Takashi Tezuka and produced by Miyamoto, just like A Link to the Past. Tezuka and Miyamoto were also co-designers of the original game. So, uh.

Excitemike
06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I chalk it up to Miyamoto not having anything to do with them, ensuring new ideas instead of boring rehash.

ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE DOES NOT COMPUTE </asplode>

estragon
06-05-2007, 08:41 AM
So, it seems to be fairly common for people here to like Link's Awakening but not A Link to the Past?

What's up with that?

I think they're both pretty sweet, and they're similar enough that I don't see how you could just hate one and love the other. Anyone want to speak up for this opinion here? I know you're out there.

shivam
06-05-2007, 09:09 AM
i love love love Link to the Past. It's just beyond mere discussion with mundane zelda games.

reibeatall
06-05-2007, 09:10 AM
i love love love Link to the Past. It's just beyond mere discussion with mundane zelda games.

I'm going to second this opinion.

Excitemike
06-05-2007, 09:15 AM
So, it seems to be fairly common for people here to like Link's Awakening but not A Link to the Past?

What's up with that?

I think they're both pretty sweet, and they're similar enough that I don't see how you could just hate one and love the other. Anyone want to speak up for this opinion here? I know you're out there.

I didn't have a SNES until 1999. I also never had an N64; the only Zelda games I've beaten are the first, Link's Awakening and Twilight Princess. I have played a sizeable chunk of Link to the Past and my biggest criticism is the dungeon rooms being larger than one screen. It makes it easy to get lost which screws with the games rhythm.

Jeanie
06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
ERROR DOES NOT COMPUTE DOES NOT COMPUTE </asplode>

I AM ERROR...

No but seriously, I liked Zelda 2. Was it as good as any other Zelda? Well maybe better than the Oracle Series, but no. Is it a damn good game for it's time? Yep.

It's just in comparison to the other Zelda games it fails. But the worst Zelda game is still better than 80% of the other games.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 09:31 AM
But I like the warble :(

EDIT: Blind fanboy

Red Hedgehog
06-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Yeah, I like the NES version's music much better. I think I first heard people saying that the FDS Zelda II's music was better than the NES version and when I checked it out, I completely disagreed. This led me to dismiss claims about how much better Castlevania III's Japanese music was than the American version. I was wrong to do so.

cartman414
06-05-2007, 07:52 PM
I AM ERROR...

No but seriously, I liked Zelda 2. Was it as good as any other Zelda? Well maybe better than the Oracle Series, but no. Is it a damn good game for it's time? Yep.

It's just in comparison to the other Zelda games it fails. But the worst Zelda game is still better than 80% of the other games.

I'm of practically the reverse opinion. The Oracle games, along with Link's Awakening, are the only Zeldas I prefer.

Mundane you say?

What's up with that?

I liked them both, but LA gets the nod from me for being more enjoyable and fulfilling. It's one of those points of debate that has only lately really risen to the forefront in discussion on the internets.

Calorie Mate
06-05-2007, 08:21 PM
I just wanted you to know, Cart Man, that with this new board I'm shooting for a clean slate, and out of respect for you I have not responded to this thread several times.

mopinks
06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm the first to proclaim my love of Toejam & Earl 2? :{

okay, maybe LOVE is a little strong, but it's certainly a RESPECTFUL ADMIRATION.

Squall
06-05-2007, 11:33 PM
To anyone who doesn't like Zelda 2 and thinks I'm insane, I have fuel for your fire. I think Urban Champion gets a bad rap, and I think Zelda 2's wonderful combat system is derivitave of that game.

cartman414
06-06-2007, 12:57 AM
I just wanted you to know, Cart Man, that with this new board I'm shooting for a clean slate, and out of respect for you I have not responded to this thread several times.

You know, not responding to a thread related to a game you dislike where you would just say how much you dislike the game without anything new to add, and it wouldn't be the first time you did it either amongst such a small, tight-knit community, isn't just good courtesy, it's also a good idea in general as it cuts down on the repetition. Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment.

To anyone who doesn't like Zelda 2 and thinks I'm insane, I have fuel for your fire. I think Urban Champion gets a bad rap, and I think Zelda 2's wonderful combat system is derivitave of that game.

Lol. The high/low block mechanic may have gotten its start there, but then that's kind of like saying Super Mario Bros. was derivative of Mario Bros. for the mechanic of knocking bricks/tiles right above you.

Squall
06-06-2007, 10:35 AM
You know, despite my unexlpicable love of portable Zeldas, I never did play the Oracle games. Or the color Link's Awakening, for that matter. I should rectifiy this.

Little Sampson
06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
So, how about that Toejam and Earl, eh?

Mightyblue
06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
DX does add a surprising amount of stuff to the game; an extra dungeon that gives you colored outfits that boost offense or defense, GB Printer functionality and a ton of photos you can find, and it's in color (Dur :P). I like the Oracle games as well, but LA:DX is probably my favorite handheld Zelda.

Little Sampson
06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
LA is actually my second favorite Zelda of all time. Handheld or otherwise.

Squall
06-06-2007, 10:44 AM
I openly admit to thinking The Minnish Cap was very awesome, too. It had some great, real clever moments in it, and I liked the world layout.

Calorie Mate
06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
You know, not responding to a thread related to a game you dislike where you would just say how much you dislike the game without anything new to add, and it wouldn't be the first time you did it either amongst such a small, tight-knit community, isn't just good courtesy, it's also a good idea in general as it cuts down on the repetition. Not that I don't appreciate the sentiment.

I would argue that nothing new has been added by having yet another, "Call me crazy, but I actually really liked Zelda II!" topic. At this point, I'm a minority on the internet for still NOT liking the game.

In any case, I wasn't being serious when I posted my comment above. No one else cared, and there's nothing wrong with poking a little fun at you, is there? I like to think it's forging the bonds of friendship, or whatever.

thomp538
06-06-2007, 04:19 PM
I have no problem with you not liking Zelda II. You're wrong, but I have no problem with it. :)

Kishi
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
Panic on Funkotron was one of my favorite games growing up. The soundtrack is still overlord madfunky, and about a year ago, I was overjoyed to discover the existence of an arranged album (http://www.amazon.com/Sega-Tunes-ToeJam-Panic-Funkotron/dp/B000001VEE). Now I can enjoy some of the better tunes without the hindrance of the Genesis sound synth.

cartman414
06-06-2007, 07:00 PM
I would argue that nothing new has been added by having yet another, "Call me crazy, but I actually really liked Zelda II!" topic. At this point, I'm a minority on the internet for still NOT liking the game.

This thread though has to do with the occasion of it coming to the Virtual Console, so it's hardly that out of the blue.

In any case, I wasn't being serious when I posted my comment above. No one else cared, and there's nothing wrong with poking a little fun at you, is there? I like to think it's forging the bonds of friendship, or whatever.

I know.

Red Hedgehog
06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
I openly admit to thinking The Minnish Cap was very awesome, too. It had some great, real clever moments in it, and I liked the world layout.

Yeah, I thought Minish Cap, though fairly derivative, was also well done in its derivativeness. I loved the kinstone mechanic, and some of the Minish Cap parts were designed pretty well. And yeah, good world layout.

Kishi
06-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Wasn't the Kinstone system broken so that you couldn't actually complete them all, or something? I know parts of it were left unimplemented because the game was rushed, at least.

Also, if for nothing else, I hate Four Swords Adventures and The Minish Cap for taking A Link to the Past's moving prologue theme and repurposing it as a generic "it's raining now" motif.

Red Hedgehog
06-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Wasn't the Kinstone system broken so that you couldn't actually complete them all, or something? I know parts of it were left unimplemented because the game was rushed, at least.

No, I managed to 100% all the Kinstones. I think there was one bug or something where you had to them in a certain order (or had to to done before some event occurred) or else you couldn't get it, but I was fortunate enough to have done it when I was supposed to.

Squall
06-06-2007, 11:33 PM
What were the kinstones? Screw that 100% crap anyways.

gamin
06-06-2007, 11:55 PM
Just now playing Zelda II for the first time. Actually, I probably played it a bit a long long time ago at a friend's house, but I don't remember.

Have to say, I'm enjoying it so far. Beat the first temple. The information you get from townspeople is pretty cryptic though. A guy said to go west to Parapa Palace, even though it was east.

As far as comparing it to Zelda games, its pretty much apples to oranges. This is a sidescroller, and as far as sidescrollers go I like how it works, as simple as it is.

thomp538
06-07-2007, 10:31 AM
Just now playing Zelda II for the first time. Actually, I probably played it a bit a long long time ago at a friend's house, but I don't remember.

Have to say, I'm enjoying it so far. Beat the first temple. The information you get from townspeople is pretty cryptic though. A guy said to go west to Parapa Palace, even though it was east.

As far as comparing it to Zelda games, its pretty much apples to oranges. This is a sidescroller, and as far as sidescrollers go I like how it works, as simple as it is.
Yeah well ... north is to the right ;)

The downthrust and upthrust add a cool dimension to the side scrolling action parts.

But yeah, games were different back then. And for some reason when I was a kid I had no problem spending hours searching every square of that overworld map looking for things and trying to find all of the secrets. Hell I even had a huge piece of graphic poster board that I used to map out every square on the overworld map. Yes, I was that much of a geek for this game. When it came to the final palace I mapped out every route in a notebook so that I could get to the end easily when I died and had to go back. If all else failed there was usually someone at school who knew where to go, what to get or what to do.