PDA

View Full Version : Selection for Societal Spite Club: Snake's Revenge

Parish
05-28-2008, 04:47 PM
You thought we were done!

Snake's Revenge
Konami | NES | Action | 1989

You thought wrong, dude. Suffer with me.

Jakanden
05-28-2008, 04:49 PM
I can honestly say I have never played even a minute of this game. When I finally learned about it, I also learned that it was not Kojima-sanctioned so I ignored it. I might have to actually give it a shot due to this though.

Red Hedgehog
05-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Now this is a fun club I will definitely play. Since I have never played Snake's Revenge before and want the full experience!

Parish
05-28-2008, 08:11 PM
It's actually not awful, you know. It has some really bad parts, but the aggregate is merely... average.

Tomm Guycot
05-29-2008, 12:08 AM
No 90-minute cutscenes = no deal!

Kishi
05-29-2008, 12:11 AM
There's a bit with searchlights at the very beginning that immediately turned me off to it, the one time I tried it. But I'm sure I can force my way through for the sake of Fun Club.

DeeMer
05-29-2008, 03:25 AM
Snake's Revenge is the Mystic Quest of Metal Gear:
Made for Americans, kind of weak, but has some good moments and nice music.

DANoWAR
05-29-2008, 04:26 AM
Oh my god, conincidentally I'm just now (well not right now, since right now I'm at work doing ...something...else...ummm...) *cough* playing this game.

I get intensely frustrated when I'm in this situation where you have to switch between your key cards to open a god damn door...which is every five fucking seconds. Topping that is that the next door requires a totally different key card.
Hell, I thought since this is a sequel, they would have somehow righted this wrong, but no, instead they put in boring and tedious side-scrolling action sequences where you can lie down right next to an enemy and stick your knife in his boot and he wouldn't notice it.
Additionally, every time you leave and enter a screen again, the walls you just bombed stand there mocking you:"Hah, you wouldn't have thought of that, would you?"

The Beginning with the searchlights was really easy once I found out where to wait...and once I discovered the second path to the building...

The first boss fight was really unfair IMHO. You had no real place to dodge the Backstreet Boys, so you got at least hit once per dance move.

The third one with the fake John was also unfair, insofar that you were in a confined space, couldn't really dodge the claymore mines and were constantly trying to not fall into the big hole.

Right now I entered the second camp, yeah, that one right after the train ride from hell, where spikes just appeared out of nowhere and at RANDOM (!!!).

To summarize: I like the idea of the game, but the execution is way worse than it could have been. I think I have spent more time in the Equipment Screen than playing.
Also: I think it's better that they killed the concept of manually correcting the transmitter frequency, but it still stinks that you have to try to contact everyone at each and every screen to not miss something (which would not be important, but anyway).

DANoWAR
05-29-2008, 11:47 AM
What?! I just passed a sequence where you have to duck some security sensors and jump over mines while wading in water.

Which would be a normal gameplay element in any action game, but what tears it apart here is that the movement of the mentioned obstacles is totally random (!). So you do your carefully timed jump over the mine while the sensor is just out of the way, when oh so suddenly the things just decide that it would be cool to ram themselves into me...whee, bad game design!

EDIT: Not to mention that enemy soldier eyesight turning (or whatever you may call it) is also completely random...

EDIT2: Yeah, just passed a sequence with a skylift-type-thingie you ride on. I didn't really understand when the alarm would ring until I stomped on some soldiers for the umpteenth time. Still don't know how you're supposed to duck all soldiers when they're appearing in random places...

RANDOM: Word of the Year

TheSL
05-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I think I have spent more time in the Equipment Screen than playing.

Sounds like MGS3.*

*Except that I love MGS3 despite having to pause every time I move in and out of terrain and switch camo.

Calorie Mate
05-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Sounds like MGS3.*

*Except that I love MGS3 despite having to pause every time I move in and out of terrain and switch camo.

You should just crawl form patch of grass to patch of grass when the guards aren't around, not crawl out, switch camo, crawl in, switch camo again. I'd probably like MGS3 less if I changed camo that often, too.

Dizzy
05-29-2008, 03:38 PM
Or get yourself a big machine gun and slaughter all the guards. The game cries for you to be a berserk maniac, not a stealthy wimp.

Kishi
05-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Stealth Camouflage
Spirit Uniform
Infinity Face Paint
EZ Gun

The game cries for me to be a silent, invisible tranquilizing machine with double-infinite ammo.

Red Hedgehog
05-29-2008, 08:45 PM
So I set Persona 3 FES aside tonight in order to defeat the plans of the nefarious Higharolla Kockamamie.

It's weird. Clearly they borrowed a lot of ideas from Metal Gear, but it all feels a little off and not implemented quite right. I mean, the searchlights are a neat addition to the stealth part but then it's so easy to enter the screen right where one is and if you go in the wrong direction you'll trigger an alert.

Avoiding guards and cameras seems pretty close to Metal Gear, but alerts are a lot tougher than I remember.

I got up to the ship before I decided to call it a night.

The first boss fight with the 5 robots or whatever just seemed like an excercise in having enough rations. And the sidescrolling section before it was pretty lame.

So far I agree with Parish's opinion that this game isn't awful, just mediocre.

Also, not enough codec conversations.

Parish
05-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Also, not enough codec conversations.
That's how you know it's not a real Kojima game.

Red Hedgehog
05-29-2008, 09:08 PM
Boy I sure hope I wrote my password down correctly. Man, I forgot how much I hated those things.

Odin
05-30-2008, 01:22 AM
Boy I sure hope I wrote my password down correctly. Man, I forgot how much I hated those things.

I lost 2 hours of levelling in Dragon Quest I last week due to my triple-checked password being WRONG somehow. I almost cried.

I'd totally play this with you guys, but my NES and $2 copy of Snake's Revenge are in the States. I knew I bought it for a reason, that someday I'd play it... and today is not that day. *sigh* I'll just continue lurking.

Since the thread closed before I finished, Sons of Liberty is still awesome, except for that 2 hour stretch at the end that boils down to about 30 minutes of gameplay and 90 minutes of exposition. HOWEVER: those 90 minutes are broken up, as the actual gameplay is like 10-5-10-5 with cutscenes inbetween. The rest of the game rocked, especially if you cut off Rose's save-game rambling. :) Especially awesome was my understanding about 70% of that final info dump despite it not being in my native language!

Back to your thread....

Warg
05-30-2008, 10:37 PM
I had a chance to play this a while back -- and I really didn't think it was all that bad. Of course, this was during the period when people (who most likely had never even played it) were screaming OMG WORST GAME EVER about it -- so I'm sure I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't.

One thing is certain though -- even if this game is overshadowed by MG2 for MSX, this is, by far, a much better Metal Gear game than the NES/Famicom port of Metal Gear was. [Even with the iffy side-scrolling sections -- where, apparently, you're completely hidden from view by lying down, in plain sight, in orange-colored gear. Doesn't help, either, that Snake's walking animation pretty much involves him prancing.]

In the overhead sections, at least, the AI in this game actually matched the AI in the original MSX Metal Gear. Music (mostly) rocked, too.

DANoWAR
05-31-2008, 11:37 AM
But in the original Metal Gear the soldiers were acting pre-programmed.

What I mean is in the original Metal Gear, a soldier would go
- look 1 second north
- look 1 second west
- go 2 steps down
- look 1 second east
- go 2 steps up
- repeat

whereas in Snake's Revenge it's like
- look anywhere between 1-4 seconds in direction x
- look anywhere between 1-4 seconds in direction y
- go 2 steps forward
- go 2 steps back

if you know what I mean. I liked the predictability of the original :-/

Ilchymis
06-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Wow. I thought I was the only person with an actual copy of this game. I could not figure this shit out for the life of me when I was 5, and it probably deserves more credit than I've given it. But not too much more.