PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play: The Bard's Tale - Tales of the Unknown

Red Hedgehog
06-01-2008, 11:02 PM
The Legend of Skara Brae
Long ago, when magic still prevailed, the evil wizard Mangar the Dark threatened a small but harmonious country town called Skara Brae. Evil creatures oozed into Skara Brae and joined his shadow domain. Mangar froze the surrounding lands with a spell of Eternal Winter, totally isolating Skara Brae from any possible help. Then, one night the town militiamen all disappeared.

The future of Skara Brae hung in the balance. And who was left to resist? Only a handful of unproven young Warriors, junior Magic Users, a couple of Bards barely old enough to drink, and some out of work Rogues.

You are there. You are the leader of this ragtag group of freedom fighters. Luckily you have a Bard with you to sing your glories, if you survive. For this is the stuff of legends. And so the story begins...

Red Hedgehog
06-01-2008, 11:06 PM
Yes, denizens of Talking Time, you read that right. In The Bard's Tale, you are the bottom of the barrel - the dregs of adventurers left over after Mangar has wiped most of the rest out.

The Bard's Tale was created in response to the popularity of Wizardry and thus is a fairly traditional dungeon crawl. You go into dungeons, move around in a first-person perspective, and randomly encounter groups of monsters who you fight with a standard medieval fantasy party. The Bard's Tale had two main innovations. The first was featuring a Bard as a major player character class to contrast with the standard Fighter/Thief/Mage/Cleric archetypes of previous games. The second was that the game was "real time". What this meant is that enemy encounters and the passage of time didn't occur for each "step" you took in the game, but rather as computer time passed. So if you just let the game sit without touching it, you would eventually wind up in a random encounter. Fortunately, this "feature" didn't occur during battle so they were nice, turn-based affairs.

But enough game mechanic talk, let's see it in action...

Loading the game, we find a bard at the intro screen singing this song:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/intro1.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/intro2.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/intro3.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/intro4.png

We are then presented with our first choice:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/firstscreen.png

One cool feature in The Bard's Tale is that you could load characters from other popular RPGs like Wizardry and Ultima III. This was a neat idea as it let you "continue their story" and it let you begin the game with some really powerful characters.

But we will not be doing that. As the intro on the box said, we are the remains of potential adventures and thus will be starting at the lowest possible level.

Moving on then, we start off our game in the Guild of Adventurers. Here is where our group will be recruited (and we will be returning here several times to get new members when our old ones die in the course of battle).

As an aside, another plus The Bard's Tale had going for it is that it had some of the best graphics around at the time. The Apple ][ version, which was released in 1985, pushed that system to its limits. The Amiga version, released a year later, showcased the new computer's graphical prowess. The Apple IIgs version, which is the one I'm playing, was released in 1987 and combined the great graphics of the Amiga version with the IIgs' amazing sound chip for a great experience.

Examples of the graphical feats this game pulled included simple scrolling in the first person segments and animation of monsters. Here is an example of the animation in the Guild of Adventurers:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/guildanim.gif

Red Hedgehog
06-01-2008, 11:08 PM
The first order of business is to create some adventurers to make up our party and that is where I need your help. Who should make up our motley crew? What are their races, professions, and names?

We need six party members. Three of these will be on the front line. They can attack monsters in hand-to-hand combat (and, in turn, be attacked). Three are on the back line and can only attack with and be attacked by magic.

There are eight classes available at the beginning of the game (there are two additional classes, only available as a "multi-classing" option for high-level magic-users). Here they are with their description from the instruction manual. Once the party is chosen, I will provide additional comments on the choices made.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/warrior.png
The base fighter-type in The Bard's Tale, warriors can use nearly every weapon there is. For every 4 levels of experience after the 1st, Warriors get an extra attack ability in combat.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/paladin.png
Paladins are fighters who have sworn to abstain from all evil and to uphold honor and purity in all places. They can use most weapons and some that no other fighters can. They get multiple attacks at higher levels. They also have a greatly increased resistance to evil magic.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/monk.png
A martial artist, an almost inhuman fighting machine trained to fight without weapons or armor. The monk can use them, but, at higher levels particularly, often does better without.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/hunter.png
An assassin, a mercenary, a ninja. The hunter can use most weapons, and has the ability (which grows with experience) to do critical hits in combat (i.e., to attack a nerve center or other vital area and instantly kill an opponent). A good skill. Editor's note: Apparently ninjas in The Bard's Tale are somewhat portly

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/bard.png
The Bard is a wandering minstrel. You'll see him with a tankard of ale in front of him in the less reputable taverns - the rowdier the better. Bards were once warriors, and can still use most warrior weapons. But they turned to music instead and now play songs with an almost magical effect on other characters. Bards don't get the warrior's advantage of extra attacks in combat anymore - but their magic is so unique, it is almost impossible to survive Skara Brae without one.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/rogue.png
A professional thief with so-so combat ability, the rogue can hide in shadows, search for traps and disarm them. Without a rogue your party will pay very dearly for the booty it wins.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/conjurer.png
One of the 4 classes of Magic Users, Conjurers deal in the physical creation and manifestation of real things (like fire, light, healing).

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/magician.png
Another of the 4 classes of Magic Users, Magicians deal with magic as it affects physical objects (i.e., enchanting a sword, making armor stronger, making a dungeon wall disappear).

Each character needs a race in addition to a class. Races affect your characters' starting attributes, what classes they can be and... nothing else.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/race.png

Human: While possibly being of hardier stock, this character is nonetheless like you or me. [All classes available]
Elf: Patterned after the Tolkien elf, the elf is slight of build, frequently taller than a human, and very inclined to magic. [Classes not available: Hunter]
Dwarf: The Dwarven people are short and stout, extremely strong and healthy, but not amazingly intelligent (i.e., excellent fighters). [Classes not available: Conjurer, Magician]
Hobbit: Hobbits are slightly smaller than Dwarves but are nimble and dexterous. Just the right make-up for a rogue. [Classes not available: Paladin, Hunter]
Half-Elf: These crossbreeds are usually blond and fair-skinned, like elves, and get some added size and strength from their human ancestry. [Classes not available: Paladin, Hunter]
Half-Orc: An orc is a large, goblin-like creature often found working for evil wizards. The Half-orc, being half human, is not quite as despicable as his orc parent, but you wouldn't want to date one. [Classes not available: Paladin, Bard, Monk]
Gnome: Gnomes closely resemble dwarves, but have less hair and even shorter tempers. They are also more magically inclined, as a rule. [Classes not available: Paladin, Bard]

Okay, so what should my starting party be?

To let everyone get a voice, each person should select one character and then I'll use these suggestions to make up my party. Give me a class, race, and name (up to 15 characters) for your person. Also, I feel like our adventuring group should have a name as well (even though there's no way to specify it in-game). Give me suggestions for that as well!

Ample Vigour
06-01-2008, 11:17 PM
Hobbit Bard, if'n you please!

nunix
06-01-2008, 11:44 PM
No elves.

NO ELVES.

I hate me some elves something fierce.

We also need a bard and a rogue. No monk, no hunter. Divide the rest as thou wilt!

Alixsar
06-01-2008, 11:50 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/paladin.png
Doctor Orpheus, the human Paladin, has joined the party!

It'd technically make more sense to make him a Magician, but I think the Paladin vaguely looks like him, it fits within the character limit, and I like Paladins in almost every game that has them. So that's my idea.

spineshark
06-02-2008, 12:11 AM
Dwarf Monk.

Gimmel. I'll probably think of a name I like a lot better when I can't post it, and forget it when I can. I'm sure everyone knows how that is.

I didn't really know anything about this game before, but just from this first post, I can say with certainty that I'm excited.

PapillonReel
06-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Put me down for a Half-Elf Conjurer named Grissom.

Crested Penguin
06-02-2008, 12:31 AM
Hobbit bard named Pants.

Ample Vigour
06-02-2008, 12:33 AM
Hobbit bard named Pants.

You cannot ignore the harmonic resonance of the crested one and I.

mr_bungle700
06-02-2008, 12:38 AM
We're going to need a Warrior, I presume. Let's make him a Half-Orc and call him Hforc.

It's clever because...well, it's not actually clever. I just can't think of a better name right now.

EDIT: I just realized that The Venture Bros. has already given me a superior name: Truckules. The mighty fusion of Hercules and a Mack truck.

Truckules.

Issun
06-02-2008, 12:56 AM
A human warrior named Mcnabb. You know why.
Man, this LP is gonna be fun.

DANoWAR
06-02-2008, 01:00 AM
Let's have a human monk called "Chow-Yun Phat"... or "Mister Fister" *cough*

My standard reflexes for the Bard's Tale lead me to always include a rogue, bard, conjurer and magician. That surely makes the choices small...

Pajaro Pete
06-02-2008, 01:27 AM
Pants the Hobbit Bard is pretty much a requirement.

Adrenaline
06-02-2008, 03:50 AM
I wanna see a rogue, preferably small in stature. Gnome?

The party should be named something like Pants' Funtime Express or Pants and the Murder Men.

Thinaran
06-02-2008, 04:00 AM
You can't make a gnome illusionist in this game? Then what's the point in having a gnome as a race?

Seconding a hobbit bard, a real one-two punch of uselessness. He should of course be named PANTS as the bard is the main char.

Also requesting the LPA to be written as a bard's song.

Adrenaline
06-02-2008, 04:08 AM

Oh my God.

Thread potential +1000

Octopus Prime
06-02-2008, 04:14 AM
I want a Gnome Hunter, and I want him gnamed Chomsky.

Clever, no. But I want to see it dagnabbit!

Al Baron
06-02-2008, 06:39 AM
Human Paladin named Giacomo because that's such a rad name.

Also, I think this guild should either be called Wizardry's Might (best take on Metroidvania I could think of) or Fite an 'eal.

Brickroad
06-02-2008, 07:05 AM
I like how elves can't be hunters. That makes so much sense MY BRAIN JUST MIGHT EXPLODE.

Human Monk named Alena. We'll just pretend she's a pretty princess whose lovely earrings help her beat on things harder.

KCar
06-02-2008, 07:08 AM
Editor's note: Apparently ninjas in The Bard's Tale are somewhat portly

It ain't just the ninja's, brah - the menacing fat man in the Bard's story could give Karnov a run for his money. That's one burly troubadour, too - I think he'd break a man for calling him "spoony."

Edit: I think I just unwittingly cross-referenced three threads. That's either awesome or pathetic.

Octopus Prime
06-02-2008, 07:10 AM
Edit: I think I just unwittingly cross-referenced three threads. That's either awesome or pathetic.

Welcome to my private hell.

TheSL
06-02-2008, 07:11 AM
A human Warrior named Loto or Erdrick.

Parish
06-02-2008, 08:24 AM
I don't care about race, but this is called "The Bard's Tale" for a reason, dammit.

Zithuan
06-02-2008, 08:40 AM
Elf Magician

Usually, I'd vote for Monk, but that base appears to be covered. I'm no good at naming, so nothing from me on that end.

I like how elves can't be hunters. That makes so much sense MY BRAIN JUST MIGHT EXPLODE.

My first thought, too: "wtf, no Elf Rangers?!"

Brickroad
06-02-2008, 08:43 AM
Also, reviewing the screenshots, it has become obvious to me that the Monk, Magician and Conjurer are all the same guy, I mean what the hell man.

Pajaro Pete
06-02-2008, 09:03 AM
You need a Gnome Conjurer named David.

PapillonReel
06-02-2008, 09:05 AM
Also, reviewing the screenshots, it has become obvious to me that the Monk, Magician and Conjurer are all the same guy, I mean what the hell man.

Not only that, but the Paladin, Hunter and Bard all look the same as well. Creeepyy.

Ample Vigour
06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Not only that, but the Paladin, Hunter and Bard all look the same as well. Creeepyy.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/fonkaygarry/billymays.jpg

shivam
06-02-2008, 09:38 AM
you should name the party after prominent TTyrants.

Brickroad
06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
You need a Gnome Conjurer named David.

Holy shit, yes, this.

Good catch, Turnip.

Jeanie
06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
You need a Gnome Conjurer named Gimbledamper.

Fixed for my choice

Red Hedgehog
06-02-2008, 09:58 AM

You know, I actually considered that. But it would absolutely kill me. I mean, you guys do want updates more than once a month, right?

And man, I guess no one likes Magic Users.

A human warrior named Mcnabb. You know why.
Man, this LP is gonna be fun.

Man, I love this suggestion. I'm going to be so upset if (when) McNabb dies. I mean, sure he'll be injured most of the time, but the fan base will turn on him no matter how well he does.

----

Okay, so I'm just going grab the first six (unique) suggestions. Don't worry if I didn't take yours. In the early going of Bard's Tale, people will die. And it is far more cost effective to recruit new adventurers than to resurrect them. So consider them waiting in the adventurer's guild for their chance.

Anyway, the six adventurers that will start off our journey will be:

Doctor Orpheus, Human Paladin
Gimmel, Dwarf Monk
Truckles, Half-Orc Warrior
McNabb, Human Warrior
Pants, Hobbit Bard
Grissom, Half-Elf Conjurer

So far, suggestions for a party name have been:
Pants' Funtime Express
Pants and the Murder Men
Wizardry's Might
Fight an 'eal

Those aren't bad, but none are calling out to me.

And finally, to whet your appetite for what's to come, let's take a look at what are characters can do. The Paladin, Monk, and Warriors can pretty much just bash. As for the bard...

Any true Bard has six songs on his lips, though to play them he must have
an instrument equipped. A song played as the party is exploring is long-lasting
and continues even after the party returns from combat mode, even if other
songs were played during combat. Any songs played during combat are abbreviated and so create different magical effects than the full non-combat
versions. The shorter combat versions don't endure as long either, only one
round of fighting.

Only one Bard tune can be played at a time. If a second one is played
while the first is still playing (by the same or a different Bard), the first will end.

A Bard can play as many tunes as experience levels before his throat gets dry. Then it's off to a tavern for a drink to rejuvenate his voice. Tough duty, but someone has to do it.

Bard songs vary according to the difficulty of the dungeon. When the
going gets tough, the Bard goes drinking.

Falkentyne's Fury: This tune increases the damage your party will do in combat, by driving them into a berserker rage.
The Seeker's Ballad: This song will produce light when exploring, and during combat it will increase the party's chance of hitting a foe with a weapon.
Wayland's Watch: This song will soothe your savage foes, making them do less damage in combat.
Badh'r Kilnfest: This is an ancient Elven melody, which will heal the Bard's wounds during traveling, and heal the party's wounds during combat.
The Traveler's Tune: This melody makes the members of your party more dexterous and agile, and thus more difficult to hit.
Lucklaran: This song sets up a partial "anti-magic" field, which gives party members some increased protection against spell casting.

As for our conjuerer, here are the first level spells he starts out with:

Mage Flame a small, mobile "torch" will appear, and float above the spell caster as he travels.

Arc Fire A fan of blue flames will shoot from the caster's fingers, doing hits of damage to a select opponent, times caster's level.

Sorceror Shield The mage is protected by an invisible "shield" of magic, that turns aside many blows that would otherwise hit him.

Trap Zap This spell will disarm any trap within 30 feet, in the direction the party is facing. It will also disarm traps on chests.

Crested Penguin
06-02-2008, 11:11 AM
Party: Pants and the Waste Band

djSyndrome
06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
TRZP just makes me want for BTIII's EAWA. :( At least you can get LOTR, although not for awhile.

(for the uninitiated - spells are cast by typing in four-letter codes, some of which made more sense than others. A list (http://www.bardstaleonline.com/files/!docs/bt1-spells.txt) of BTI's spells.)

Brickroad
06-02-2008, 11:20 AM
Doesn't Bard's Tale have Ybarra's Mystical Coat of Armor (YMCA)?

spineshark
06-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Pants and the Murder Men
Fight an 'eal
The first one makes me smile. The second makes me laugh.

Octopus Prime
06-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Fight an 'eal sounds like Fighting Neil, I support any rag-tag group of adventurers who scare the willies out of everyone named Neil that they come across.

I vote that.

Or The Asskickery Jamboree. Not sure why though. It just speaks to me.

TheSL
06-02-2008, 11:51 AM
How about "The Pants Party (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OUI2Y-IqPs&feature=related)" for the group name?

Red Hedgehog
06-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Doesn't Bard's Tale have Ybarra's Mystical Coat of Armor (YMCA)?

Yes, YMCA is by far the best spell abbreviation in the game. LOTR is pretty good too, just for the unabashed gall of it.

(for the uninitiated - spells are cast by typing in four-letter codes, some of which made more sense than others. A list (http://www.bardstaleonline.com/files/!docs/bt1-spells.txt) of BTI's spells.)

More precisely, the four letter spell abbreviations where Bard's Tale's copy protection. To cast a spell, you had to type in its four letter abbreviation, which was only found in the manual. Of course, most weren't that hard to guess.

Thraeg
06-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Fight an 'eal sounds like Fighting Neil, I support any rag-tag group of adventurers who scare the willies out of everyone named Neil that they come across.

Whereas it sounds to me like "fightin' eel," and gives me a mental image of a scowling moray eel in a pugilistic stance with boxing gloves hovering in front of it.

I vote for that too.

Octopus Prime
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Whereas it sounds to me like "fightin' eel," and gives me a mental image of a scowling moray eel in a pugilistic stance with boxing gloves hovering in front of it.

I vote for that too.

That, actually, was the second thing I thought of with that name.

That's like, 3 recursive votes for Fight an ' eal. I think?

DANoWAR
06-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Just wanted to add that I think it could be foolish to wade through The Bard's Tale with just one magic-user, because later in the game, when things like 4*99 Berserkers appear for a fight (do you wish to (A)ttack or (R)un?), I think it is imperative to have as much group-damaging ability as possible. Just my 2 cents...

Al Baron
06-02-2008, 01:32 PM
For the record, I wrote it as 'Fite an 'eal' on purpose as a feeble attempt at an accent.

dwolfe
06-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Could a part of six bards at level 1 survive a single enemy encounter? By fighting and winning even?

This must be tested before we go further!

Red Hedgehog
06-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Could a part of six bards at level 1 survive a single enemy encounter? By fighting and winning even?

This must be tested before we go further!

Bards are decent enough fighters (at low level) that if it were the right encounter, they could. With the front three attacking and the bottom three buffing/debuffing they could certainly win a fight or three. But once they start encountering more difficult enemies, they will start dropping like flies.

Red Hedgehog
06-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Okay folks, here is the first band of suckers... er adventurers. You'll notice the pictures don't change based on a character's race - they are wholly based on class. You'll also noticed that I snapped the photo of PANTS with his eyes closed. Oh well.

You'll also notice that I neglected to show you any of the characters' starting equipment. That's because they have none. Bard's Tale is so hard core, all your adventurers start off naked.

The character's stats are important. I'll touch on those below.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/drorpheus.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/gimmel.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/truckles.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/mcnabb.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/pants.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/grissom.png

Each character you create has five basic attributes which define his
physical and mental prowess. When you create a character each attribute is
assigned a value from 1 to 18, with the higher number reflecting higher
capability.

STRENGTH (Shown as "ST" on the screen): Strength is physical
power and chiefly affects the amount of damage a character can do to an
opponent in hand-to-hand combat. Make sure your fighting characters are
strong.

INTELLIGENCE ("IQ"): Intelligence is mental power. A high
intelligence will enable your Magic Users to get bonus spell points.

DEXTERITY ("DX"): Measures agility & nimbleness. A high score
makes your characters harder to hit and helps them strike the first blow
in combat.

CONSTITUTION ("CN"): Measures healthiness. It takes more damage to
kill a character with a high constitution score. This is reflected in bonus
"hit points," the character's life span.

LUCK ("LK"): Luck is an ambiguous attribute, as it has a number of
unseen effects on gameplay. For example, lucky characters are more likely
to resist evil magic and avoid nasty traps.

Basically, all characters want Dexterity and Constitution (and to some extent, luck). Fighters want Strength and Magic Users want Intelligence.

Next time, the adventure begins!

To put you in the mood, here is an mp3 of the music that plays during the intro (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/BTintro.mp3) (when the bard in my avatar is telling his tale).

dwolfe
06-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Are you going to be (P)ooling gold and recruiting walking wallets...er...fresh adventurers for extra cash? That DOES work in this game, to some extent, doesn't it?

Thx for the feedback on the all bards, been so long I had no clue if they were more like useless FF IV Edwards, all-buffing EO Troubadours, or actually decent hybrid characters. But I certainly see the need for some meat shields in most games.

Shadax
06-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Man, I hope this didn't die already. I love LPs of dungeon crawls.

Red Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 01:51 PM
Man, I hope this didn't die already. I love LPs of dungeon crawls.

It didn't die. I just... have responsibilities like work and such and can't do daily updates. I'm trying for every other day, but it may be closer to 3 times a week.

Here's a spoiler for the next update (hopefully tonight): People die!

Brickroad
06-04-2008, 01:53 PM
People die!

If you let Alena die, I will disown you.

Seriously, I will replace you with Makkuro in my will.

Shadax
06-04-2008, 02:59 PM
It didn't die. I just... have responsibilities like work and such and can't do daily updates.

Psh, employment

Makkara
06-04-2008, 05:08 PM
If you let Alena die, I will disown you.

Seriously, I will replace you with Makkuro in my will.

My plan to have Red Hedgehog left destitute and disinherited is finally coming to fruition. Mwahahaha!

Red Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 07:32 PM
I wanna see a rogue, preferably small in stature. Gnome?

I need a name idea here, folks.

Ample Vigour
06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I need a name idea here, folks.

Noam.

Red Hedgehog
06-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Noam.

Boo. Actually, there's already a play on Noam in the character queue with Chomsky.

I'm thinking of just calling him Philliam.

Ample Vigour
06-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I'm thinking of just calling him Philliam.

That's got legs.

Ruik
06-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Make a Human Monk named Thelonious.

Son of Sinistar
06-05-2008, 12:20 AM

Crested Penguin
06-05-2008, 12:28 AM

YES. I would not be opposed to naming all future party members after jazz greats.

Egarwaen
06-05-2008, 10:21 PM

And a Human Rogue named Monk, for added amusement.

Red Hedgehog
06-05-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey guys, apologies for lack of updates yesterday and today. This week proved to be an unpredictable crunch week at work and I have guests this weekend, so I may not get around to updating until Sunday night. I really do hope to stick to something like an every other day schedule provided I don't have another crunch week at work.

Red Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 08:43 AM
Okay, work has been slow this morning because we're basically waiting on someone to arrive for a meeting. Thus I had time to polish this off:

To put yourself in the mood, you may want to listen to the tune that plays while in the adventurer's guild (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/BTadventurersguild.mp3).

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/btavatar2.png
Come gather 'round folks and you'll hear of the day
That people set forth to unchain Skara Brae.

All new to adventure, their chances were small
They started their quest in Adventurer's hall

What they did have was hope! And moxie! And zeal!
So let's join the folks who made up Fight an 'eal

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/guild.png

Pants: La la... who will ventUUUUre forth... to defEEEAt the tyrant MangAAAr...

Doctor Orpheus: Ye Gods, Man! If I weren't already committed to this cause, your song would turn me away!

Pants: Look, I'm sorry, but without an instrument I'm not really able to carry a tune.

Doctor Orpheus: What kind of bard doesn't have an instrument?

Pants: Instruments cost money! I just got out of barding school and have student loans to pay off!

Doctor Orpheus: *sigh* It's a good thing that I, Doctor Orpheus, am possessed of a noble sense of duty that compels me to help the downtrodden and oppressed.

Pants: Plus your deity will get super-pissed at you if you don't.

Doctor Orpheus: That too.

Pants: Anyway... we will fIIIIght the creatures... that infEEEEEst the town...

Meanwhile

Truckles: What is that noise? I want to smash whatever is making it!

Grissom: Now, now, my good man. Is your aim truly to extinguish the source of the aural irritation or really just to work off your testosterone fueled rage?

Truckles: Whuh?

Grissom: If we join him in his quest, you will get to smash many things!

Truckles: Ooh, that sounds good.

Yet more meanwhile

McNabb: So you're trying to tell me that bare fists and a robe can defeat a fully armed and armored warrior?

Gimmel: Absolutely! With the proper training and meditation, the sheer power of the human body can overcome anything.

McNabb: If I have a sword, I can slice you open. How are you going to slice me open with your hand? Grow your fingernails out really long?

Gimmel: No, no, you're missing the point!

McNabb: But you don't have any point at all! Or even a heavy bludgeon!

Gimmel: Grr... I know a way we can settle this.

McNabb: Uh, I'd love too, but, uh I don't actually have a sword, or armor, or really anything except this gold my family gave me to train to become a soldier.

Gimmel: No, no, I didn't mean we should fight each other. That out of tune bard over there is attempting to recruit people to clear the city of monsters. If we join their band, we'll each get to use our combat ways against the monsters and see who is more powerful.

McNabb: Sounds good. I'm in.

Thus Fight an 'eal's first party now was set.
But they did not know what to do quite yet.

Pants: Excellent. I'm so glad each of you is willing to take part in this grand adventure that I will immortalize in song: The ballad of Pants and the Murder Men.

McNabb: Pants and the murder men? That's an awful name.

Doctor Orpheus: Yes, clearly my presence should be emphasized since, after all, I, Doctor Orpehus, am a paragon of virtue who is nobly fighting against the evil of the land.

Grissom: Guys, I think we need a name for our group the properly expresses our motivations, desires, and strengths.

Pants: And Pants and the Murder Men doesn't do that?

McNabb: All it expresses is our... Pants-ness.

Pants: Look, Pants and the Murder Men is a song that will inspire others. Through pouring my heart into its composition I will...

Truckles: We should be called Fight an 'eal.

Pants: Uh huh. Anyway, as I was saying, I will craft a perfect combination of music and...

Truckles picks up Pants by his collar

Truckles: WE SHOULD BE FIGHT AN 'EAL.

Pants: Right then. Fight an 'eal it is.

McNabb: Anyway, our first order of business should be to get some equipment. After all, right now we have nothing but our clothes.

Gimmel: [shuddering, remembering what he just saw when Truckles picked up Pants] And some of don't even have pants.

Pants: I'm more comfortable that way!

McNabb: Explains how he got his name.

Grissom: Clearly it seems we should set out for Garth's Equipment Shoppe.

Everyone stares blankly at Grissom

Grissom: You know, Garth's Equipment Shoppe? It was mentioned in our adventurer's instruction manual and is marked on the map we got.

Everyone continues blankly starting at Grissom. Truckles blinks.

Grissom: Didn't anyone else read the materials in the packet they got when they signed up to be an adventurer?

There is a significant moment of silence

Doctor Orpheus: Right then, to Garth's!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/bt1-skara_brae.jpg

Red Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 08:48 AM
The group set forth upon the streets
Not knowing what it was they'd meet

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/outside.png

Grissom: It's a good thing we all have a great innate sense of direction and time.

Gimmel: And that Skara Brae is filled with handy street signs.

Truckles: Yeah, if you can read them.

Everyone stares at Truckles

Truckles: *sniff*

Pants: Did I ever mention my compulsion to enter unmarked doors? Because, boy howdy do I have a hankerin' to enter that door there opposite the adventurer's guild.

Gimmel: Why not?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/credits.png

Doctor Orpheus: *gasp* 'Tis the hall of credits! This is a great shrine built to honor the creator's of our world.

Fight an 'eal continued on their quest to get some gear.
Something, something, something something something... chandelier?

Pants: Well, we made it to the shop without encountering any foes. I'm sure this luck will continue with us throughout our journey.

Gimmel: I can't tell if he knows he's jinxing us or not.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/shop1.png

Doctor Orpheus: Garth, my good man, I will take the finest equipment you have!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/shop3.png

Doctor Orpheus: Ooh, I feel like a kid in a candy store!

McNabb: Wait, I know we decided to pool our money to buy equipment for everyone, but why should you get the best gear?

Doctor Orpheus: Please, I am a defender of virtue! I, Doctor Orpheus, must be resplendent in the best weapons and armor around.

Gimmel: Actually, seems to me that the three people in front should get an even split of the money to get the best equipment they can. Since they'll be the ones directly attacking and getting attacked.

Truckles: Truckles approves.

McNabb: What? You mean just because I happened to line up fourth I don't get any stuff? That doesn't seem fair. Grissom?

Grissom: I'm fine with it. I'll be the last to take any physical hits anyway and I can still toast guys just as well in the back.

McNabb: Pants?

Pants: You're right, McNabb, it's unfair. Surely I should get an instrument so I can inspire the party with my bardic tunes.

McNabb: Wait, that means you would sing more. On second thought, I'm fine with Gimmel's plan.

Doctor Orpheus: Alright! I'll take this... and this... ooh, and this!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/shop4.png

Doctor Orpheus: Party on... err, I mean, thanks Garth.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/shop5.png

Gimmel: Hey, look at this. The salesman is helpfully telling me what items of his I cannot equip myself with. I'm sure if I later go on questing for dragons or have a last fantasy this would also be the case.

Truckles: What's he talking about?

McNabb: Best to just let him have his moment and ignore him.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/shop6.png

Doctor Orpheus: Ha, ha! Look at me, I'm a total bad-ass now!

Grissom: Doesn't your deity preach humility?

Doctor Orpheus: Humili-whuh?

Red Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Fuck, rhyming is hard.
Our heroes returned to the streets, where they were soon to meet their first foe.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/bar1.png

McNabb: Pfft, how tough can these guys be? They don't even wear shirts.

Pants: Oh, so am I not tough because I don't wear pants?

Gimmel: No, you're just disturbed.

The battle was fierce (and I would have gotten pictures if I'd remembered how to slow down the text scrolling), but our heroes prevailed.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/afterfight.png

McNabb: Hmm... they were surprisingly tougher than I thought.

Doctor Orpheus: Oweee! I hurt. A lot. Oh the pain!

McNabb: Well, clearly you're in no position to stay at the front of the party. I'll just move up to the front row.

Doctor Orpheus: By all means.

McNabb: And now that I'm here, I'm entitled to the best equipment. So fork it over Orpheus.

Doctor Orpheus: Hey wait. What?

Grissom: While McNabb is removing all of Doctor Orpheus' armor, we should decide what to do next.

Pants: My predilection for entering unmarked doors says we should go in this one.

Gimmel: Why not?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/bar2.png

McNabb: Oh look, more Barbarians. Well, if we handled two, surely we can handle seven.

Doctor Orpheus: *groan* For some definition of handled.

Grissom: Alright, clearly you'll need me this time to fry some foes.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/mcnabbdies.png

Pants: Um, yikes. That's not good.

Gimmel: Poor McNabb. He was convinced his sword and armor would see him through.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/gimmeldies.png

Grissom: Did I say "fry"? I meant lightly singe.

Truckles: Ha, stupid Gimmel! Looks like your fists and meditation didn't do you any better.

Pants: Truckles, do you always insult the dead?

Truckles: Best people to insult. They can't get mad at you.

Pants: There is a twisted logic in that.

Doctor Orpheus: I hate to interrupt your conversation, but as someone who has already sustained major injuries and seen two people just die, might I suggest we run the fuck away!

Pants: The motion carries. Flee!

Barbarians are the toughest enemies you face in the streets of Skara Brae. They're pretty much bad news for any level one party and, as this party discovered, should always be run from. Fight an 'eal was unlucky enough to meet them in their first two encounters.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/building.png

Grissom: Wait, so we entered this building, encountered Barbarians, ran from them, and are still in the building with it somehow being empty? How does that work? Where did they go?

Doctor Orpheus: Clearly it was the work of Brad.

Grissom: Brad?

Doctor Orpheus: My deity.

Grissom: Your god is named Brad?

Doctor Orpheus: You have a problem with that?

Grissom: Hey, if your God can make barbarians disappear, I'll call him Tits McGee.

Pants: So guys, two of us are dead and one is injured. How about we make haste back to the adventurer's guild where at least we won't get attacked.

Truckles: No more smashing today?

Pants: Time for that when we're not half dead.

And so Fight an 'eal's first excursion into the city of Skara Brae proved costly. Next time we will see if they can do a little better fighting off the nasties that inhabit the town.

Brickroad
06-06-2008, 09:23 AM
<3 <3 Doctor Orpheus.

PapillonReel
06-06-2008, 09:27 AM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/PapillonReel/rating_5.gif

djSyndrome
06-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Being level 1, wouldn't it be cheaper to replace the dead rather than try to raise them?

MCBanjoMike
06-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Being level 1, wouldn't it be cheaper to replace the dead rather than try to raise them?

Dude, that is cold.

Zithuan
06-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Random battles in town? That's harsh.

spineshark
06-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Grissom: Wait, so we entered this building, encountered Barbarians, ran from them, and are still in the building with it somehow being empty? How does that work? Where did they go?

Doctor Orpheus: Clearly it was the work of Brad.

Grissom: Brad?

Doctor Orpheus: My deity.

Grissom: Your god is named Brad?

Doctor Orpheus: You have a problem with that?

Grissom: Hey, if your God can make barbarians disappear, I'll call him Tits McGee.
So very worth the wait.

Thraeg
06-06-2008, 10:45 AM
Brilliant! I was thinking about starting a LP for one of the early Wizardry or Might & Magic, but this is even better.

Falselogic
06-06-2008, 12:22 PM
this game is tough! It's why I never got into PC rpgs until much later, thier difficulty level always seemed crazy high. Also I could never find my way around Skara Brae. I hated these early 3d world things...

Red Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 12:45 PM

If I ever gave any impression I was going to raise dead party members, I am sorry. It ain't happening unless they're at least level 3.

Though it saddens me to no end that McNabb died.

Al Baron
06-06-2008, 12:55 PM
And people say that Etrian Odyssey and SMT games are hard.

PapillonReel
06-06-2008, 12:57 PM
I'm just glad Grissom's still alive. Those barbarians may be strong, but God is stronger.

shivam
06-06-2008, 12:59 PM
i approve of this thread so hard.

Ruik
06-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Wow, this was a fantastic update. I didn't think I could be anymore excited about this Lets Play; thanks for proving me wrong, jerk.

Issun
06-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you, RH, for providing us with much amusement, which we enjoy.
This is the best LP since BrickRoad's FF1 thread.

shivam
06-06-2008, 01:30 PM
uh, poetfox and loki disagree.

dwolfe
06-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Thank you, RH, for providing us with much amusement, which we enjoy.
This is the best LP since BrickRoad's FF1 thread.

You haven't read the Arkham Horror and DQ1 threads.

Issun
06-06-2008, 02:13 PM
You haven't read the Arkham Horror and DQ1 threads.

The DQ/W thread was enjoyable, but this is shaping up to be better. I tried the Arkham Horror one, and, while good, it just wasn't my personal cup of tea.
The Lone Wolf thread is fantastic, but I'll have to have a huge chunk of time to devote to it to actually finish it (I kind of missed the boat when it was actually being written). Also, the Zelda threads were good, but overall, the FF1 thread is still my favorite, and if Hedgehog continues with this level of quality, Bard's Tale will definitely be a close second.

Ample Vigour
06-06-2008, 03:11 PM
Great stuff, Hedgehog! Definitely worth the wait.

dwolfe
06-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Oh, I'm by no means trying to say that this thread isn't doing well, just that there's some pretty good examples out there that were up my alley.

Red Hedgehog
06-06-2008, 09:26 PM
Major :(

Apparently I didn't save correctly before exiting my game last time (I guess I forgot to hold reset while pressing power) and apparently none of that adventure I just told actually happened. BUT......

I will pretend like it did. So McNabb and Gimmel are dead. I can't really give back the experience and gold for the two barbarians nor injure Doctor Orpheus, but those are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. The important thing is that people died! Because that happens a lot in the beginning of Bard's Tale. Ooh, and actually there is a way to decrease Orpheus' hit points. I will experiment with that.

nunix
06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Hey, Hedgehog, where are you snagging these MP3s from? A game rip, or a site?

I'm particularly curious whether or not the "six bard songs" actually have some representation in-game beyond their names.

It's for.. it's for research. Let's say audience participation.

Ample Vigour
06-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Hey, how do you get Apple IIgs emulation to run? KEGS is beyond my comprehension.

Red Hedgehog
06-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey, Hedgehog, where are you snagging these MP3s from? A game rip, or a site?

I'm particularly curious whether or not the "six bard songs" actually have some representation in-game beyond their names.

It's for.. it's for research. Let's say audience participation.

I am recording them directly from the game. I'm using a program called Audio Hijack to get the sound from the emulator and then Audacity to clean them up and make them mp3s.

And yes, each bard song has its own unique tune which plays while a bard is playing it. I plan to be putting up mp3s of those as I use them.

Hey, how do you get Apple IIgs emulation to run? KEGS is beyond my comprehension.

KEGS is... not user friendly at all. I'm running on a Mac, so I'm using Sweet 16 as my emulator. It was a friendlier interface and it has a built-in screen capture facility which makes things easier for me.

In KEGS, you must first configure it so that the disk you want is in the right drive (in my case, The Bard's Tale disk is in drive 5, slot 1). Then at a command prompt, you type "in#5" to have it read from drive 5.

Ample Vigour
06-07-2008, 12:23 PM
KEGS is... not user friendly at all. I'm running on a Mac, so I'm using Sweet 16 as my emulator. It was a friendlier interface and it has a built-in screen capture facility which makes things easier for me.

In KEGS, you must first configure it so that the disk you want is in the right drive (in my case, The Bard's Tale disk is in drive 5, slot 1). Then at a command prompt, you type "in#5" to have it read from drive 5.

Yeah, I DOSboxed it. Interesting in the extreme, but I can definitely see where we've gone beyond it. The LP has blown my mind, however.

Alixsar
06-07-2008, 08:19 PM
<3 <3 Doctor Orpheus.

I haven't had a lot of time to read TT lately, but I come on tonight and see that not only did you listen to my suggestion, but you made Doctor O. even more awesome than I could've hoped. Bravo.

Red Hedgehog
06-08-2008, 12:38 PM
Next time: Half the party dies.

Man, I think I'd forgotten just how much you can't get attached to low level characters in The Bard's Tale.

PapillonReel
06-08-2008, 12:47 PM
Next time: Half the party dies.

Man, I think I'd forgotten just how much you can't get attached to low level characters in The Bard's Tale.

Good lord, how are you supposed to beat the game if everyone's dying off? I hope at least Grissom makes it to the end. :(

mr_bungle700
06-08-2008, 04:14 PM
Truckles lives.

I called it.

I'm totally right.

Ample Vigour
06-08-2008, 05:08 PM
Pants lives.

I called it.

I'm totally wrong.

Right.

poetfox
06-08-2008, 06:11 PM
Death be a thing you cannot dodge
Whether adventurer or brother at the lodge
So every time a friend may die
I ask you, bring yourself not to cry
For they have gone to a better place
Where the beer is free and every card is an ace
Or so I heard the other day
from a drunken barbarian who'd lost his way
and he certainly seemed a trustworthy sort
and his lifestyle a fun one to court
so if a suggestion I may make
let's behave like heathens! Our shirts off we'll take!
I think that I have gone off topic
Need to give my veering horse a kick
And sing a merry little tune
of adventurers who will be dead soon!
Cha-cha-cha!

(All good songs end with a Cha-cha-cha.)
(Also, a good start so far! Can't wait for more.)

Red Hedgehog
06-08-2008, 09:41 PM
The men of Fight an 'eal returned with haste.
Because they'd seen two friends reduced to paste.
Now licking wounds and catching breaths they paused,
Discussing what would best advance their cause.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u3-1.png

Grissom: Well, that was a rather costly excursion.

Doctor Orpheus: Nontheless, we can't be deterred from our mission. I, Doctor Orpheus, (along with you guys) must free the city of Skara Brae.

Pants: And I must capture our brave deeds in song. And that song will make me famous and I'll totally score with chicks!

Truckles: I still want to smash things.

Grissom: And I suppose I'll never further my magical education by sitting inside the adventurer's guild here with these other inexperienced adventurers. Yes, let us journey on.

Pants: The first order of business is to recruit two members to replace our fallen comrades. And I suppose we should bury them since we did go to the trouble of dragging their dead corpses back here.

Doctor Orpheus: But first I'll be taking my gear back, mr. dead McNabb.
Badass status: restored.... ow, my kidney.

Grissom: Easy there, knight of narcissism, you're still pretty badly wounded.

Pants: Yeah, and I'll bet we can use the promise of free equipment to recruit new people.

Truckles: There's one of them fisty-thinky people over there.

Pants: Perfect.

A man in nothing but shorts sits in the corner of the hall with his legs in the full lotus position. He is chanting to himself.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u3-2.png

Chow-Yun Phat: Ommmm.... I am in my happy place... Ooh, there are bunnies here.

Pants: Excuse me, Mr. monk, we couldn't help but notice you over here. We are a group of adventurers known collectively as Fight an 'eal who are venturing forth to save this city. Would you care to join us?

Chow-Yun Phat's concentration is broken and he looks up, annoyed

Chow-Yun Phat: Humph. I am on a personal quest of spiritual enlightenment. I aim to develop myself through rigorous training of mind and body in order to transcend this earthly plane. I am not interested.

Pants: But just of think of the fame and fortune you will get as one of the saviors of Skara Brae.

Chow-Yun Phat: I care not for such things. My life is one of simplicity and detachment.

Doctor Orpheus: We can offer this set of starting Monk equipment.

Chow-Yun Phat: Kick ass! I've always wanted a mace! Sold!

Everyone stares at him

Chow-Yun Phat: Uh, I mean, uh, on second thought I can achieve my enlightenment by training with your group.

Having obtained a fifth member, the group now discusses what they need in a sixth member.

Chow-Yun Phat: Say, this Leather Armor you guys gave me is a little small. *sniff* And it smells of Dwarf.

Pants: Uh, yeah. It was, uh... made by a dwarf! Finest blacksmiths around! They just sometimes forget to make things human-sized.

Chow-Yun Phat: And are these blood stains?

Pants: No, uh, just the way they decorate it.

Grissom: Getting back to our discussion, I think having a magic-user would greatly increase the support the front three get in battle.

Truckles: I want more guys that can smash things.

Doctor Orpheus: I think Truckles has a point. We need people willing to stand up front and attack our foes while I stand behind and... inspire them to victory.

Unnoticed by Fight an 'eal, a diminutive character has snuck up behind them and done a quick survey of their possessions.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u3-3.png

Philliam: Why the fuck do you cry-babies not having any money?

Everyone turns and stares at the little Gnome

Philliam: Uh, can I join you?

Truckles sizes him up

Truckles: [doubtfully] Can you smash things?

Philliam: I'm not the best in combat, but if I have to fight I'm not awful. I can hide from things very well.

Grissom: That doesn't exactly help us defeat our enemies.

Philliam: Whatever.

Grissom: What else can you do?

Philliam: I have a chance of disarming traps.

Grissom: Um, I can do that with 100% certainty and it hardly costs me any spell points.

Philliam: Nerd.

Doctor Orpheus: Do you have any other talents?

Philliam: I can provide irreverent, off-color, biting commentary.

Pants: Hmm... we don't have anyone in our party that can do that.

Doctor Orpheus You don't mind going in front, do you?

Philliam: As long as I get a share of the phat loot, it's cool.

Doctor Orpheus: You're hired.

With two new members to replace the old,
The group returned to where equipment's sold.
Once Philliam had the best that he could wear,
They found that there remained some gold to spare.

Pants: Hey guys, looks like we have enough left over to get me an instrument.

Truckles: Urge to smash Pants rising.

Grissom: Now now, let's not be too hasty. Perhaps Pants is telling the truth that he can hold a tune when he has an instrument. Plus we could probably use the extra support his bard's songs will provide.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u3-4.png

Pants: Ooh, I've always wanted a flute.

Philliam: The last flute player I knew was a pedophile.

Pants: Then I must redeem the instrument. One flute, Garth!

Truckles: If you misplay it, I will find a good place to stick it.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u3-5.png

Pants: Sweet!

Philliam: Ha ha, loser.

Doctor Orpheus: I hate to break up the reverie, but it has been awhile and my wounds aren't any better.

Grissom: Orpheus, you have several broken ribs, some deep cuts, and I'm pretty sure you're missing a foot. Do you think you can just stay overnight at an inn or something and be cured?

Chow-Yun Phat: When you have achieved enlightenment, pain will no longer bother you.

Doctor Orpheus: Yeah? Enlighten my foot!

Grissom: If you want to be healed in time to help us, magic is the only recourse.

Doctor Orpheus: Then magic me up, Conjurer!

Grissom: Actually, they didn't teach us any healing at conjurer's community college. Said we'd need more than an associate's degree to learn it and I was like "Fuck that! You bastards just want to bleed more of my money. I can learn magic just fine on my own without your..."

Chow-Yun Phat: Grissom?

Grissom: Uh, yeah. Any temple should be able to provide healing. According to our map, there's one just south of the adventurer's guild.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u3-6.png

Chow-Yun Phat: Ah, here we are.

Pants: Ooh, fancy.

Grissom: It's a good thing we have this map, because from the side, this temple looks like any other building. It's only once we turn to face it that we can see the elaborate columns and stone steps.

Philliam: A wizard did it.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u3-7.png

Doctor Orpheus: Me, me!

Truckles: What's that noise (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/BTtemple.mp3)?

Pants: Why, it's the melodious chanting of the monks. I will listen closely so I can add it to my repertoire.

Philliam: It's like cats on a chalkboard are clawing my ears out.

Seriously, this is one instance in which the Apple IIgs' superior sound chip is playing something awful

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u3-8.png

Doctor Orpheus: Well shit. That's, uh, a bit more money than I have. We'll be back.

Doctor Orpheus: Man, no wonder they call it the Thief Temple - those guys are robbing us blind with their prices.

Grissom: Actually, the temples in the city are an oligopoly. Due to their lobbying power and the toothless city politicians, they all charge the same high rate.

Doctor Orpheus: I guess you guys will just have to kill some more monsters to gather gold to heal me. Doctor Orpheus.

Philliam: Why are we listening to this loser, anyway?

Pants: He's oddly charismatic.

Ample Vigour
06-08-2008, 09:53 PM
Holy FUCK you are not kidding about the monk theme. It's beyond description.

PHILLIAM

The words... the words just aren't there.

Tanto
06-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I demand that the gnome be played like a Discworld gnome, willing to kill someone over a potato chip.

MoltenBoron
06-08-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm almost certain that The Bard's Tale for the IIGS was my first ever RPG. I recall it seeming really hard, but, until now, I wasn't sure if that was due to its actually being hard or whether it was due to my youth and inexperience.

I now know that my inexperience was not to blame.

How on earth do you beat this game? The fights are hard, your characters are frail, resurrection is expensive, healing is expensive, and, if I recall correctly, the only way to raise a character's level is to go to a special temple half-way across town and pay another exorbitant fee. I think the best I ever did in the game was to get a conjurer up to level 2.

I'm loving this Let's Play, by the way, and despite the pain on display I'm sore tempted to install a IIGS emulator and play through it and some of the other games of my youth.

Alixsar
06-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Wow, that temple song is pretty...I mean, I see what they were trying to do but...just, no. NO. Also, Philliam is a great addition to the party already. Please try and keep the current gang alive.

Rai
06-09-2008, 07:42 AM
We already three of these people die, so it's just a matter of guessing who!

Sad to say, though, that some of my favorite characters are likely to die. Don't leave, Doctor O!

DANoWAR
06-09-2008, 08:10 AM
As far as I like that you used Chow-Yun Phat, I bet it won't be very healthy having two monks in the party as they are losers in the beginning, if I remember.

Only later, when you do 8 attacks per round hitting for 850 damage, they kick ass and take names.

Red Hedgehog
06-09-2008, 12:13 PM
I'm almost certain that The Bard's Tale for the IIGS was my first ever RPG. I recall it seeming really hard, but, until now, I wasn't sure if that was due to its actually being hard or whether it was due to my youth and inexperience.

The Bard's Tale was many people's first RPG as it was the first truly accessible RPG due to its comparatively easy to understand rules and mechanics (next to Wizardry and Ultima). It is extremely hard in the beginning (though a bit easier if you use the pre-fab party that came with the game), but because you understand how it works, you get better at it and keep coming back.

I'm doing this LP as if I've never played before because I'm sure there are a ton of people unfamiliar with the game and I think it would be better for them to experience like they might in their first playthrough. As you'll see whenever I get the next part of this update up, much of the early game is figuring out when to run from monsters.

Lara Crigger wrote a good article that's on 1up now (http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3168091) that talks about early CRPGs and has a good mention of Bard's Tale.

shivam
06-09-2008, 12:19 PM
there's a flute in my pants!

Crested Penguin
06-09-2008, 12:31 PM
The Bard's Tale was many people's first RPG as it was the first truly accessible RPG due to its comparatively easy to understand rules and mechanics (next to Wizardry and Ultima). It is extremely hard in the beginning (though a bit easier if you use the pre-fab party that came with the game), but because you understand how it works, you get better at it and keep coming back.

This does look harder than Wizardry, though. At least in Wizardry, the town was a safe haven. I think. I haven't played it since the first grade or so.

Brickroad
06-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I was organizing my NES games last week and came across a copy of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I have no idea where the hell this game came from.

I'd give it a spin, if I could hook my NES up.

DANoWAR
06-09-2008, 01:23 PM
Normally you don't get encounter that many barbarians, most of the stuff in the city is more like goblins or rats or something like this, it's been too long to remember. That was just very baaad luck. Also, 7 of any monster are way too hard for a level one party, iirc.

Also, I again demand animated GIFs for the portraits and schtuff, I just don't know how one would take them...

EDIT: In Wizardry, the town is just a menu. So...safe haven, yes. Boring, but safe.
Also, I think Wizardry is way harder than Bard's Tale.

Which is a bold statement as I have never played a Wizardry game but the sixth part in which I was promptly killed by a group of big rats.

ANOTHER EDIT: @Red Hedgehog, does the Apple 2 GS version have the awesome monk chant when you're being healed? If so, how about an MP3 of it to enlighten the masses? ;-)

Issun
06-09-2008, 03:20 PM
there's a flute in my pants!

How does one go about playing a Pants Flute?

PapillonReel
06-09-2008, 03:23 PM
You blow on it.

Ample Vigour
06-09-2008, 04:18 PM
You blow on it.

I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me! Why didn't you believe me?

Red Hedgehog
06-09-2008, 05:06 PM
I was organizing my NES games last week and came across a copy of Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord. I have no idea where the hell this game came from.

I'd give it a spin, if I could hook my NES up.

The NES Wizardry is based off the final revision and is one of the best versions of the game. I think the NES Wizardry II is good as well.

The NES also has the best version of Might and Magic (which is the next evolution of dungeon-crawler, being very non-linear unlike the previous games - sort of like a proto-Elder Scrolls).

Just stay away from the NES Bard's Tale.

Normally you don't get encounter that many barbarians, most of the stuff in the city is more like goblins or rats or something like this, it's been too long to remember. That was just very baaad luck. Also, 7 of any monster are way too hard for a level one party, iirc.

I don't know what's up with the random number generator in the game I'm playing. I've encountered exactly one set of easy enemies (and that was when I was just tooling around and experimenting and so wasn't part of the LP).

Also, I again demand animated GIFs for the portraits and schtuff, I just don't know how one would take them...

Yeah, you saw how I attempted that with the Adventurer's Hall in the early post. It isn't easy because I need to constantly take screen shots. If you want to suggest two or three you would really like to see, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

EDIT: In Wizardry, the town is just a menu. So...safe haven, yes. Boring, but safe.

Correct. I've never put any significant time into Wizardry, so I won't comment on its difficulty compared to Bard's Tale.

ANOTHER EDIT: @Red Hedgehog, does the Apple 2 GS version have the awesome monk chant when you're being healed? If so, how about an MP3 of it to enlighten the masses? ;-)

They do. I neglected to capture it my first time at the temple. I'll get it next time I go.

Red Hedgehog
06-09-2008, 07:19 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-1.png

Chow-Yun Phat:Ah, here are some skeletons. These guys don't look so tough. They only have one arm. It's time for a mace to the face!

Pants:What are those red, glowy bits?

Grissom: You don't want to know.

Philliam: Ahahaha!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-2.png

Truckles: I don't feel so good.

Doctor Orpheus: Persevere, Truckles! You fight for all the downtrodden citizens of Skara Brae. If it weren't for my wounds, I would be there with you.

Philliam: And if you weren't a pussy.

Although no picture shows they won the fight,
They did prevail, but still not all was right.
While no one suffered further injury,
The group still lacked sufficient treasury.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-3.png

Truckles: Hey guys, I found this weapon on one of the skeletons.

Chow-Yun Phat: What sort of weapon is it?

Truckles: It's, uh, it looks like, er, it has a, well... it's a weapon.

Philliam: Is he retarded?

Grissom: No, it is obviously a rare or magical weapon that only an expert like Garth could identify. But that would cost us money we don't have. Hold on to it, Truckles.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-4.png

Pants: Uh oh, not these guys again. Time to skedaddle!

Philliam: Who says "skedaddle"?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-6-5.png

Barbarians: You ain't going nowhere!

Grissom: Are you aware that by your double negative, you have implied that we are actually going somewhere?

Barbarians: Grrr!

Grissom: Guess not.

In one of Bard's Tale's rare instances of kindness to the player, if you attempt to run and fail, the enemy does not get a free round of attacks on you. Instead, you get to choose your battle actions as if you had chosen to stay and fight.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-6.png

Grissom: Taste my arc of fire!

Chow-Yun Phat: Why an arc? Wouldn't a straight line of fire be much more efficient?

Grissom: We conjurers just like to show-off.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-7.png

Chow-Yun Phat: Ow. I obviously have much to work on in both spiritual enlightenment and ass-kicking.

Philliam: Fuck man, that was painful.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-8.png

Doctor Orpheus: Finally, we have enough to heal me!

Chow-Yun Phat: Yes, but we've taken significant injuries in the process. Our rate of gold earned to damage taken is not a positive trend.

Philliam: We're screwed.

Red Hedgehog
06-09-2008, 07:42 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-9.png

Grissom: Perhaps we should run, guys. We're almost at the temple, most of us are injured, and these guys look tough.

Philliam: Just look at that menacing gesture he's making with his hand!

Pants: You know, I have a song that could heal us.

Doctor Orpheus: What?!? You could have restored me to my former glory and you said nothing of it? What impudence!

Pants: Well I didn't have an instrument before. And I didn't want Truckles to hurt me.

Truckles: And I would've!

Grissom: At this point, your off-key warblings would be much preferable to our deaths, eh Truckles?

Truckles: I make no promises I won't hurt him.

Pants pulls out his flute and plays the tune of Badh'r Kilnfest (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/BTbadhrkilnfest.mp3)

Grissom: That was, surprisingly, pretty good. I guess it helps that he can't sing while playing the flute.

Doctor Orpheus: Ah, and I feel... hardly better at all. All that did was restore half a toe.

I failed to capture a good before and after, but Pants' song restored an amazing 1 HP to each party member.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-10.png

Chow-Yun Phat: It seems running would indeed have been the prudent option.

Philliam: Bleeding sucks.

Doctor Orpheus: Pants, from now on you must sing that song in every battle.

Pants: [hoarsely] Not until I've had a drink.

Philliam: If I buy you a drink, you'd better put out.

Pants: No seriously, I can't sing again until I've had one. Look!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-11.png

Doctor Orpheus: Well, enough of this. Time to get me healed. Priests of the Thief Temple, heal my wounds!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-12.png

Doctor Orpheus: I feel so... violated.

Chow-Yun Phat: Given the immense drain that was on our expenses, I recommend we get Pants his drink as that will surely be less expensive than going back to this temple.

Grissom: According to our map, the closest inn is south of here.

Truckles: What's that statue on the map?

Doctor Orpheus: I'm sure it's just a statue commemorating some famous hero. Just like the one they'll make of me. Er, us.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-13.png

Philliam: That thing's ugly. Attaaaaaack!

Grissom: I'm sure that stone will feel your wrath.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-14.png

Grissom: Holy shit! It turned into an actual Samurai Warrior.

Philliam: I'm not stupid.

In the version of The Bard's Tale I originally played, it was far less clear that the statue was a guardian. Instead it seemed like you just came upon a statue blocking your path and it turned into a creature when you attacked it.

Doctor Orpheus: Now that I'm back at full health, I will lead our team to victory!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-15.png

Doctor Orpheus: Brad damn it! I was healthy for all of 15 minutes.

Philliam: I hate statues!

Ample Vigour
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Will our heroes be done in by an insufficient rate of return on investment? Oh, the slings and arrows of economic theory!

Red Hedgehog
06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-16.png

Pants: *sniff* I can smell the booze from out here! Inside!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-17.png

Pants: A drink, yes! I need its fermented goodness.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-18.png

Philliam: Ha ha! "Seat thyself Pants"

Pants: There's no way I could go wrong with a drink named "Foul Spirits"

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-19.png

Pants: Oh, sweet frothing beverage, how I've missed you.

Chow-Yun Phat: Does anyone else feel sort of bad that we're feeding his alcoholism?

Doctor Orpheus, Philliam, Truckles, Grissom: No.

With Pants now drunk on Spirits Foul and life,
The group decided they'd seen too much strife.
Back to advent'rer's hall they set to go,
But on the way encountered a new foe.
They tried to run, but found it was in vain.
Thus Fight an 'eal prepared to feel some pain.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-20.png

Philliam: They're wearing eye patches so maybe their lack of depth perception will work in our favor.

Grissom: We really should have set a better marching order.

Pants: Don't worry guys, I'll just play Badh'r Kilnfest again!

Once again, it restores only 1 hit point to each member. I could have sworn it usually restored more than that.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-21.png

Philliam: Fuuuuuuuuck!

Truckles: As useless as he was, I'm going to miss the guy.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-22.png

Chow-Yun Phat: That's it... I've achieved Nirvana... I'm in the peaceful meadow... the bunnies are frolicking... such fluffy ears...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-23.png

Pants: Feets don't fail me now.

Mercenaries: Where do you think you're going?

Truckles: They failed.

Doctor Orpheus: Don't worry crew, as long you have me, Doctor Orpheus to lead you, we will...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u4-24.png

Doctor Orpheus: Urk!

Pants: Orpheus! No... we were just getting to know each other. We could have had something special!

Doctor Orpheus: Brad, I will join you shortly. I have always held true to your teachings. I have helped the downtrodden whenever I could. I have inspired others in your name. I have resisted all temptations and remained a virgin...

Grissom: Somehow I doubt that was by choice.

Doctor Orpheus: ...and now I, Doctor Orpheus, make the ultimate sacrifice so that Fight and 'eal can continue on to free the city. I'm sure they will remember my name always and create a great shrine to me, while singing songs about my bravery and strength, and folks will come from all around to mourn... gak!

Grissom: Truckles, did you just kick him?

Truckles: What? You've got to admit, that death monologue was a bit much.

Grissom: I'll let it pass, but only because you know what the word 'monologue' means.

Pants: Why do you think he always repeated his name? Was he afraid we'd forget it or did he just like the sound of it?

Grissom: A little from column A and a little from column B.

Mercenaries: Arr!

Pants: Oh yeah, these guys. Running now!

At last the group successf'ly ran away.
Now safely back, they'll fight another day.
Their numbers half they were upon daybreak.
With new recruits, a fresh attempt they'll make.

Ample Vigour
06-09-2008, 08:28 PM
Dr. Orpheus! Other, lesser guys! Nooooooo!

I don't get progression in this. You run into fights that grind you into powder, your abilities are far too weak to make an impact in said fights and you make too little money to recuperate afterward.

Where exactly does the advancement come in?

Also: Brilliant stuff, dude.

Ruik
06-09-2008, 09:11 PM

I don't get progression in this. You run into fights that grind you into powder, your abilities are far too weak to make an impact in said fights and you make too little money to recuperate afterward.

Where exactly does the advancement come in?

Also: Brilliant stuff, dude.

You kill dudes to make money, and they kill you. You take said money and buy some gear for your new recruits. New recruits kill a few more dudes before dieing and you get a little more money for better gear. At least, I think this is the usual progression.

DANoWAR
06-10-2008, 01:18 AM
I just don't know what is going on there, I mean, each and every one of the enemies you've fought has been of a harder enemy type than I remember being in Skara Brae...

WAIT! The enemies get significantly stronger at night, do you maybe run around in the dark?

Red Hedgehog
06-10-2008, 06:17 AM
I just don't know what is going on there, I mean, each and every one of the enemies you've fought has been of a harder enemy type than I remember being in Skara Brae...

WAIT! The enemies get significantly stronger at night, do you maybe run around in the dark?

All the guys I've encountered are ones you can normally find during the day in the city, but I definitely feel like there is something up with the random number generator, as I have yet to see any Hobbits, Dwarves, Gnomes, or Thieves. Instead, I've hit Barbarians (most dangerous) three times and Mercenaries (second most dangerous) once. And no, not going out at night. I want to give myself at least a chance of surviving.

You kill dudes to make money, and they kill you. You take said money and buy some gear for your new recruits. New recruits kill a few more dudes before dieing and you get a little more money for better gear. At least, I think this is the usual progression.

That's basically it. In the beginning of the game you are short on money so getting enough to afford all the best equipment at Garth's is a priority. If you are lame, you can keep recruiting new characters, taking their gold, then deleting them. But that's less fun and a bit slower because at least I have three guys who have been in every fight so they are gaining experience. Grissom is especially important because once your Conjurer reaches level 3, the game becomes much easier.

Octopus Prime
06-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Oh Doctor Orpheus! You were too young to die! And too fast to live!

and too easy to kill...

DANoWAR
06-10-2008, 09:18 AM
You see, my problem is this: It has been 15 years or more since I last played The Bard's Tale, but I am sure as hell that I didn't play it that way back then.

I know I made myself a party
- Warrior
- Paladin
- Monk
- Bard
- Conjurer
- Magician
(or something like that)

Then I went to Garth and bought me some weapons and stuff and started roaming the city in daylight. I was never under the impression that the game was too tough to survive with my first 6 members.

Maybe it's a difference between the C64 and Apple2GS version...

Falselogic
06-10-2008, 02:00 PM
I couldn't find my way around the city at all, I never even found my way out of it. But I was still trying to enjoy Bard's Tale, still trying to see what everyone else was seeing in the game, but dying from random encounters in the city? Over and over? Not fun. I never even thought to farm new recruits for gold...

I don't doubt that Bard's Tale was important at its release but it's awfully dated now, isnt't it?

Enjoying the story telling though! Loving it actually, so glad you get to suffer through it an not me :P

Carry on!

Ruik
06-10-2008, 03:02 PM
I couldn't find my way around the city at all, I never even found my way out of it. But I was still trying to enjoy Bard's Tale, still trying to see what everyone else was seeing in the game, but dying from random encounters in the city? Over and over? Not fun. I never even thought to farm new recruits for gold...

I don't doubt that Bard's Tale was important at its release but it's awfully dated now, isnt't it?

Enjoying the story telling though! Loving it actually, so glad you get to suffer through it an not me :P

Carry on!

That's probably because the entirety of the game takes place inside the city. Its been magically sealed off by the Evil Wizard or some such to prevent heroes coming to save the city from the outside world. Which is why the party is made up of losers who get their teeth knocked in by Thieves and naked Barbarians.

Falselogic
06-10-2008, 03:06 PM
That's probably because the entirety of the game takes place inside the city. .

Also I never read any of the documentation, apparantly... I could have sworn though... Was it BT2 or 3 that allowed that or am I confusing games?

Note: I did try to use the map, I found it unhelpful.

DANoWAR
06-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Also I never read any of the documentation, apparantly... I could have sworn though... Was it BT2 or 3 that allowed that or am I confusing games?

Note: I did try to use the map, I found it unhelpful.

Umm...that allowed what?

In Bard's Tale 2, you have seven cities and a connecting "overworld", the wilderness, plus associated dungeons.

Bard's Tale 3 took the quantity to ridiculous levels as it incorporated dimensional travel.

Falselogic
06-10-2008, 04:02 PM
Umm...that allowed what?

leaving the city... Sorry, guess it wasn't clear. I thought you could leave the city in the first BT. But I must of being thinking of the latter.

I played BT a long time ago, but tried its sequels for the first time in 1998 when I bought the Ultimate RPG Archives (for Wasteland). I ended up trying the lot, most were as bad as I remembered CRPGs being...

Red Hedgehog
06-11-2008, 10:47 AM

Fair enough, but there were plenty of good, less inscrutable, less "beat you up", PC RPGs before Fallout. Like the SSI Gold Box games, for example.

Next update: Some progress! And death (but that's to be expected now)

Alixsar
06-11-2008, 03:41 PM

Orpheus is dead?! FUCK. Well, I feel a little better since apparently this game revolves around letting people die off all the time...but still. Dr. O, man. We hardly knew ye.

Ruik
06-11-2008, 04:07 PM
We're gonna need to come up with more characters.

A hunter named Kaneda and a magician named Tetsuo.

Ample Vigour
06-11-2008, 04:40 PM

A hunter named Kaneda and a magician named TETSUOOOOOOOO.

PapillonReel
06-11-2008, 04:43 PM

A hunter named KANEDAAAAAAAA and a magician named Tetsuo.

Red Hedgehog
06-11-2008, 07:01 PM
I actually think it may be possible the I can get to a set of characters that "sticks" before needing new suggestions. We'll see. But I'll definitely be grateful once I finally get a magician in the party so I have another character who can do something from the back row.

Red Hedgehog
06-11-2008, 10:13 PM
Pants: Well, looks like it's time to recruit some new members. Doctor Orpheus' (may he rest in peace) idea of luring people in with the promise of free equipment seemed to work well last time.

Grissom: I think it's clear that we're looking for a particular type of adventurer.

Truckles: Meatshields?

Pants and Grissom: Meatshields

Pants: I'll make it known that we're looking to interview applicants to fill positions in the adventuring group Fight an 'eal.

Truckles: Just don't put it in song.

Pants: [frowning] Boo.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-3.png

Grissom: Alena, tell us a little bit about yourself.

Alena: Well, I'm a princess from the far-off town of Santeem.

Truckles, Grissom, and Pants stare at Alena quizzicially

Alena: Many call me a tomboy due to my interest in fighting and combat. Some might call me reckless, but I prefer to think of myself as headstrong. I believe in constant training in order to...
...why are you guys staring at me?

Truckles: P-princess?

Alena: Look, I can't help it that the game designers are so sexist they figured a woman would never be going on an adventure, but yes, despite my portrait I am indeed a female!

Pants: Uh, ok. Sure. Uh, sorry.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-2.png

Grissom: Tell us a bit about your motivations for adventuring.

Chomsky: I believe that power, unless justified, is inherently illegitimate. Thus Mangar, who has proclaimed himself ruler of this city, would have to show that his elevated position is justified. Since he has failed to meet this burden, his authority should be dismantled. This belief stems from my fundamentally libertarian socialist values which exemplify the rational and morally consistent extension of original unreconstructed classical liberal and radical humanist ideas to an industrial context. Specifically I believe that society should be highly organized and based on democratic control of communities and work places.

Pants: Uh...

Chomsky: I also like linguistics and hitting things.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-1.png

Grissom: What do you hope to get out of adventuring with us?

Giacomo: Let me make clear that Giacomo is not in this for the battles and killing. Don't get me wrong - I can certainly hold my own in combat, but it is not my passion.

Truckles: What is your passion?

Giacomo: The ladies. Giacomo is all about pleasuring the ladies.

Grissom: But... you're a paladin. Doesn't your deity want you to be chaste and pure?

Giacomo: My deity says that I should give of myself. And believe you me, when it comes to the ladies... I give it to them!

Pants: I am so with you on this Giacomo. Getting the women is why I got into barding! Though, even though I've heard that chicks dig a musician, I haven't been too successful in reeling them in with my songs.

Giacomo: Oh pantsless one, you have much to learn.

spineshark
06-11-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure that any of this trio is a Doc O, but between the three, there's really something there!

Ample Vigour
06-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Extra points for getting Giacomo in mid-blink.

Issun
06-11-2008, 11:22 PM
This thread = Red Hedgehog Awesome Show, Great Job!

Also,
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee89/issunbug/eab16ad7.jpg
The official beer of Fight an' 'eal?

Ruik
06-11-2008, 11:32 PM
My roommate got a six-pack of that at some point. I'm not sure he realized it was named after a video game. (He's a gamer himself, but way less of a retro gamer than myself.) He didn't like it so I got to have all of it; it was quite good, actually.

DANoWAR
06-12-2008, 07:39 AM
Oh my god, I think I have some new characters, if any die off now...

A Dwarven/Human Hunter named John Locke.

A Half-Elven Magician named Raistlin.

A Half-Orc Warrior named William Wallace.

An Elven Magician named Shodan.

*cough* Enough for now.

Brickroad
06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Truckles, Grissom, and Pants stare at Alena quizzicially

Alena: Many call me a tomboy due to my interest in fighting and combat. Some might call me reckless, but I prefer to think of myself as headstrong. I believe in constant training in order to...
...why are you guys staring at me?

Hahahaha, oh god, this is good stuff.

nunix
06-12-2008, 10:17 AM

NO

shivam
06-12-2008, 10:23 AM

WHAT.
Raist is a human, thankyouverymuch.

If any thing, there should be a human wizard named fizban. to go with the beard and all that.

/is getting an hourglass tattoo

Crested Penguin
06-12-2008, 10:43 AM
WHAT.
Raist is a human, thankyouverymuch.

Trap sprung.

shivam
06-12-2008, 10:44 AM
/dragonlance hardcore

DANoWAR
06-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Well, I wanted a little diversity in race. ;-P

It's not like I wanted a gnome rogue named Tasslehoff Burrfoot.

EDIT: Or Hasslehoff.

Crested Penguin
06-12-2008, 11:06 AM
EDIT: Or Hasslehoff.

DANoWAR
06-12-2008, 11:15 AM
http://srv030.pixpack.net/20080612201454330_dcwapckbxy.png

SCNR

EDIT: I just realized how much "Pants" fits...

Red Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Pants Hasselhoff

That is awesome.

By the end of tonight (or maybe later today if there's a lull in work), one of the six will die. Who will it be?

Brickroad
06-12-2008, 11:45 AM
By the end of tonight (or maybe later today if there's a lull in work), one of the six will die. Who will it be?

If it's Alena, I will cry.

Towards the end of the adventure you have to do a Survivor-style walk of remembrance where everyone says nice things about their fallen comrades on the way to the last boss.

Ample Vigour
06-12-2008, 11:49 AM
If it's Alena, I will cry.

Towards the end of the adventure you have to do a Survivor-style walk of remembrance where everyone says nice things about their fallen comrades on the way to the last boss.

Red Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 03:52 PM
Well, I wanted a little diversity in race. ;-P

Yeah, I'd prefer you guys would min-max. It would make my life a lot easier. Of course, I haven't yet told you what races were best to min-max for. I was going to wait until I'd had at least one member of each class in my party (since we've already hit each race so I can do both in one swoop).

Man, this was like one of my first "must-do" ideas when I got the idea for this LP.

DANoWAR
06-12-2008, 03:54 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer you guys would min-max.

I'm not sure what you mean by this in the context of Bard's Tale...

Ample Vigour
06-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Yeah, I'd prefer you guys would min-max. It would make my life a lot easier. Of course, I haven't yet told you what races were best to min-max for. I was going to wait until I'd had at least one member of each class in my party (since we've already hit each race so I can do both in one swoop)

Sounds like a plan. I hope you don't think we're making this hard out of spite or anything.

Even though we are.

KCar
06-12-2008, 04:50 PM
Sounds like a plan. I hope you don't think we're making this hard out of spite or anything.

Even though we are.

I knew there was spoiler text there. I just knew it.

I'm so happy.

Red Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 07:03 PM
Now that they had a group of six once more,
They headed where they always go: the store.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-5.png

Giacomo: So, miss Alena. How do you like our city of Skara Brae?

Alena: Oh, it's very nice. But I do miss the comforts of home.

Giacomo: And what would those be?

Alena: Oh, you know, short squat sprites, people wandering aimlessly who only say one thing, and a tune that follows you wherever you go.

Pants: I could provide a tune...

Truckles and Giacomo: No!

Chomsky: I must say that I'm torn between my displeasure in supporting the military-industrial complex and my desire to have cool weapons.

Grissom: You know, since we have more than enough gold to outfit everyone in the front row and then some, we could probably afford to get someone a halbard.

Giacomo: Don't you mean a "halberd"?

Grissom: No, no, a halbard is a weapon unique to this city that is probably not at all a typo for halberd.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/halbard.png

Alena: Well, I don't need it. I have my earrings.

Pants: You attack with earrings?

Alena: Oh yes, they give me great strength!

Grissom: Yeah... I think we'll get you the halbard anyway.

Truckles: Do we have enough money leftover to discover what this mysterious weapon I've been carrying is?

Grissom: Sure! Garth, could you tell us about this strange and unique weapon that Truckles found? Here is 20 gold for your trouble.

Garth: Sure.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-6.png

Pants: It's a mace? Just a regular old mace? Are we all just too stupid to figure that out?

Grissom: Let us never speak of this again.

I have no clue what causes an item to not be identified when you find it. Usually only rarer stuff is unidentified, while common stuff such as this buckler I found earlier and a Tower Shield I got this session is IDed. But every so often a really low level weapon or armor appears unidentified and annoys you when you finally get it back to Garth's and waste the money to ID it.

Pants: And now, I need a drink!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-7.png

Pants: [To the new people] Previously, there was a nasty guardian samurai statue in front of here, but we took care of it and killed it.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-8.png

Giacomo: Took care of it, huh?

Pants: B-b-but, I swear, we took it down. I even started to write a song about it.

Grissom: Relax Pants, it probably just regenerates every time we go back to the adventurer's guild.

Chomsky: Does it seem odd to anyone else that the regeneration of this statue should be tied to the movements of our group? It's almost as if this world revolves around us.

Giacomo: According to my deity, it does.

Pants: Careful, this samurai hits hard!

Alena: Not if I hit it first! WHACK!

Alena kills the statue in one hit, doing about 15 or 16 damage to it

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-10.png

Alena: Maybe this halbard is better than my earrings.

Red Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 07:06 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-12.png

Pants: While I enjoyed the foul spirits last time, I think I'll try an Ale this time.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-11.png

Alena: Lovely.

Chomsky: Say, I notice we can talk to the bartender. In the interest of a highly organized and democratic community, maybe we should see what he has to say.

Giacomo: Let Giacomo take care of this! My charisma is irresistible.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-13.png

Giacomo: Pay? I'm sorry, but Giacomo has never paid to win the affections of others.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-14.png

Giacomo: You, sir, have deeply offended me!

Truckles: Come on, Giacomo, take out your anger on these guys.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-16.png

Pants: Uh oh, watch out! Last time we fought these guys, they did some seriously injury to us.

Alena: WHACK!

Giacomo: WHACK!

Chomsky: WHACK!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-18.png

Pants: Say, I like these new guys.

And with the next set of enemies encountered...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-19.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-20.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-21.png

Pants: Sweet! We are total killing machines. Back to the tavern, drinks are on me!

Ample Vigour
06-12-2008, 07:11 PM
I take it you have turned the corner, then?

Red Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 07:11 PM
The crew felt good about their victories.
The foes they met had been dispatched with ease.
Back at the inn, there was much cheer and laughs,
But on their exit, Hobbits crossed their path.

Pants: Hobbits? You guys must be friendly, right? After all, we journeyed with one of you named Philliam! Do you know him?

Hobbits: Grr!

Grissom: I get the feeling they do. And they're a bit upset at us for getting him killed.

Truckles: Chomsky, you said you're good with languages. Talk to them.

Chomskey: Well, linguistics to be precise. For example, I could analyze their language and determine whether it met the pattern of a context-free grammar. I could then determine its generative properties and...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-25.png

Chomsky: Urk! Or I could kick their tiny butts!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-26.png

Grissom: Yeah! Fried Hobbit! Look at me, I actually killed something!

Truckles: You are way too excited about that.

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/image.php?u=79&dateline=1212387732
With scant exertion this crew won again.
Their next foe, too, was lilliputian.

Truckles: Chomsky, you know these guys?

Chomsky: Why no! And I certainly don't owe them any money!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-29.png

Truckles: Odd, they sure don't seem to like you.

Chomsky: They're just lackeys of the oppressive power system. Duped by a complicit media acting as a propaganda arm for the ruling and corporate interests, they think my challenge to the status quo is against a positive force when, indeed I am acting to remove them from their wage slavery and corrupt leadership!

Truckles: I think I might know why they don't like you, now.

http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/image.php?u=79&dateline=1212387732
Upon defeat of Chomsky's kin, they felt
It prudent to cure all wounds he was dealt.
They killed some hobgoblins along the way.
While curing here's what the priests had to say:
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/BThealing.mp3

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-33.png

Chomsky: Ah, I feel much better now. Once again ready to take on the hegemony of the elite!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-34.png

Pants: Ooh, Orcs. These guys look a lot like hobgoblins.

Truckles: Hmmph. I think they're a lot more handsome.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-35.png

Alena: THWACK!

Giacomo: Alena, you are like a woman possessed with that weapon!

Alena: [curtsies] Thank you.

Pants: I wonder if these are easier or tougher than hobgoblins.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-36.png

Chomsky: Tougher! Back to the temple!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-37.png

Red Hedgehog
06-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Chomsky: Phew, that was close. At least nothing else really bad could happen to me today.

Pants: Hey guys, it's Miller time (tm)

Giacomo: While I certainly appreciate a fine beverage, don't you think you've had enough to drink today, Pants?

Pants: You're probably right.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/drinkmenu.png

Pants: Barkeep, one Ginger Ale.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-38.png

Pants: You knew that would happen, didn't you?

Giacomo: You have learned a valuable lesson today.

Not only that, but Ginger Ale doesn't count for restoring your throat so your bard can sing again, either. You have to buy an alcoholic beverage.

They left the tavern after much libation,
Which caused Pants to be struck with inspiration

Yeah, I broke the iambic pentameter above. Sue me.

Pants: Hey guys, since we keep getting beat up on, maybe I should play a song that makes us harder to hit.

Grissom: Pants, why don't you remember your songs before we get beat up?

Pants: I just learned this one. From some odd wizard that enjoyed throwing vegetables. Here it is, The Traveller's Tune (http://www.cs.utah.edu/~goldberg/BTtravellerstune.mp3).

Alena: This song reminds me of a story I once heard of a boy with wings and a bow and arrow.

Grissom: Huh.

This song is actually pretty great as it lowers the armor class of each of your party members by one (which, since this game was based on D&D, is a good thing) if you play it outside of battle. It lasts until you play another song or go into the adventurer's hall. I believe the armor class bonus increases as your bard's level goes up as well.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-39.png

Grissom: Yikes, these guys are tough. We should probably run.

Giacomo: Are you kidding? How would the ladies view me if I ran like a coward from uncultured ruffians such as these?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-40.png

Giacomo: That could have gone better.

Chomsky: Ow.

Pants: Back to the temple, I guess.

Grissom: *sigh* And we were actually making a profit up until now.

Before brave Fight an 'eal could make it there,
They faced a single kobold in the square.

Alena: One kobold? We've been skewering these guys left and right and they rarely do more than a single point of damage to us.

Grissom: Still, to be safe we should probably run.

They tried to flee, but were quite blocked in front.
It seemed as though they'd have to face this runt.

Pants: Oh well, we've always been fast enough to attack before the Kobolds did anyway. I'm sure we'll be fine.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u5-41.png

Chomsky: Gack! It looks as though I won't be able to bring down the oppressive power structure. You guys will have to carry on the effort to remove the illegitimate leader and install democratic control of the city without me.

Truckles: Uh, yeah, we'll do that.

And so, once more, a death ended their day.
Back to the starting point, they made their way.
This time their efforts did not seem in vain.
Much more experience and gear they gained.

nunix
06-12-2008, 07:33 PM
The monsters in this game are spectacularly ugly, gotta give 'em that.

Octopus Prime
06-12-2008, 07:35 PM
NO, MY GUY DIED!

Oh Chomsky, we'll always have our memories. I shall pine for you.

Ample Vigour
06-12-2008, 08:00 PM
Not Chomsky! Dude's dialog was comic gold.

You're a king, Hedge; a king!

Falselogic
06-12-2008, 08:04 PM
Damn now we'll miss out on all the pseudo intellectual babble... Wait I own some of his books...

Ruik
06-12-2008, 08:11 PM
This is currently the best thread on Talking Time. How difficult are later dungeons if you get stuck with a crappy party Hedge? Also, what's a good balance? I'd guess Fighter, Monk, aaaand Paladin? in the front row. (I think I normally ran with a Thief for trap disarms, but a comment you made implied a Conjurer does a better job at this.) Back row of Conjurer, Wizard, and Bard (who gets rotated into the front when someone is low hp).

Anyways, who's up next?

TheSL
06-13-2008, 07:52 AM
I'm kinda glad Chomsky died, he talked way too much.

Brickroad
06-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Giacomo: Alena, you are like a woman possessed with that weapon!

Alena: [curtsies] Thank you.

I lol'd.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm kinda glad Chomsky died, he talked way too much.

You wound me sir! Just for that I'm... well you'll see what happens next update. (Which I can hopefully get done today).

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Truckles: That kobold bastard! He killed one of the finest minds of our generation.

Pants: Truckles?

Truckles: The more I think about it, the more I realize how much wisdom was in Chomsky the Gnome's words. Authority is inherently illegitimate! The only free society is one with sufficient organization and democratic control!

Grissom: Truckles, do you even know what all that means?

Pants: Do you even know what all those words mean?

Truckles: [sheepishly] Most of them...

Alena: So guys, maybe we should see about recruiting another member.

Giacomo: Perhaps a fine lady?

Alena glares at Giacomo

Grissom: It may be time we get another magic user so those not in front have something to do in combat.

Pants: I don't know, given the frequency at which our fighters have... departed us... we may be better off just getting another one.

As Fight an 'eal discussed their party's needs,
A warrior eager to perform brave deeds
Was near enough to overhear their talk
And knew he'd be the one to walk the walk.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-01.png

Loto or Erdrick: Greetings, fellow adventurers! I believe I would make a fine addition to your group as long as you folk are willing to help me on my quest.

Giacomo: And what sort of quest is that?

Loto or Erdrick: My quest... for dragons!

Alena: I feel an odd kinship with him.

Pants: Yeah, uh, we can barely handle shirtless guys with axes. I think we're a long way off from being able to kill a dragon.

Loto or Erdrick: Oh, that's okay, I think I'm just supposed to quest for them, not necessarily kill them.

Truckles: So what's your name?

Loto or Erdrick: My name is Loto!... or Erdrick.

Grissom: Wait, is your name Loto or Erdrick?

Loto or Erdrick: Yes!

Grissom: No, I didn't mean is it one or the other, I meant... oooooh, I get it!

Truckles: Wait, I don't. What's his?...

Grissom: I'll explain later.

Pants: So, uh, Loto, for joining our group we can give you this equipement.

Loto or Erdrick: *gasp* It's the sword of Erdrick! And the armor of Erdrick! And the shield, helmet, and gauntlets of Erdrick! I thank you for bringing these to me.

Truckles: They're not special or anything, they're just...

Giacomo: [To Grissom] Quiet! He seems very happy with them, and does not need to know that, until recently, they were the sword, shield, etc. of Chomsky.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 12:48 PM
A human Warrior named Loto or Erdrick.

Ha!

Ample Vigour
06-14-2008, 12:55 PM
Ha!

If you'll excuse me, I have to go laugh myself to death.

STAY AWAY FROM THE TREES

Octopus Prime
06-14-2008, 01:09 PM
Sir, I am typring this from the floor, where, until recently, I was rolling with laughter.

Were I wearing one, my hat would be off to you.

Brickroad
06-14-2008, 01:23 PM
I also would take Octoprime's hat off to you if he were wearing one.

Falselogic
06-14-2008, 01:41 PM
= highly amused

Egarwaen
06-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Indeed, a most excellent name.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 02:39 PM
The latest iteration of the party Fight an 'Eal.
Set forth to the Thief Temple where their grievous wounds were healed.

Giacomo: It seems we have gold left after healing people to buy one of those great Halbards.

Truckles: Hey, speaking of which, fork it over Alena!

Alena: What? But I... you said this was mine.

Truckles: I need to better, uh, illegitimate the authority!

Pants: Sorry Alena, the people in the front get the best equipment. Those are the rules of Fight an 'eal.

Alena: Fine! My earrings are prettier than this ugly old halbard, anyway.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-03.png

Truckles: Yes! Cower before me, puny creatures!

Grissom: Truckles, I'm pretty sure that statement doesn't mesh with your new philosophy.

Truckles: Says who?

As is tradition, Garth's was visited
Where new supplies were then distributed.

Giacomo: Now Loto... Erdrick... whatever, we need to fairly decide which of us gets this...

Loto or Erdrick Why it's the halbard of Erdrick! Thank you Mr. Garth for holding onto this for me. I'll gladly pay your finder's free of 200 gold.

Giacomo: I feel like I was just fleeced!

Alena: That was pretty smooth.

Pants: Say, now that we're better outfitted, maybe we can explore more of the city than just the part between Garth's and the Scarlet Bard Inn.

Loto or Erdrick: Yes! And perhaps we'll find... a dragon!

Giacomo: Please God, no.

Grissom: According to our map since we're in the northeast section of the city, Kylearan's Tower should be right in front of us.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-06.png

Truckles: I don't see anything.

Loto or Erdrick: Let us continue onward!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-07.png

Pants: Wait, so one step in front of us was this gate leading to the tower and we couldn't see it?

Grissom: Must be an odd trick of the light.

Pants: Screw this, I want to check out the other taverns in town to see how they compare with the Scarlet Bard. Plus, maybe we'll catch them during happy hour!

Grissom: Okay, let head to the one on Trumpet street.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-08.png

Pants: I suddenly have a really strong desire to go in this building to the left of us!

Truckles: The last time we followed your desire to go in an unmarked building, we encountered a group of seven barbarians who killed off two people.

Grissom: Besides the tavern should be in the next building after that one.

Pants pouts.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-10.png

Truckles: This selection is boring.

Pants: But they do have foul spirits! My favorite!

Grissom: Okay, the next stop on our pub crawl is tucked in a little alley down Bard Blazon street.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-13.png

Giacomo: Why is it that none of these places have Appletinis?

Everyone stares at Giacomo

Giacomo: Uh, you know... for the ladies!

Alena: I don't know what you're talking about. I like beer.

Grissom: And the Scarlet Bard is the only tavern we've been to so far that has wine.

Truckles: Given the quality of Skara Brae wine, that doesn't surprise me.

Everyone stares at Truckles

Truckles: What? The wine here is shit.

Giacomo: I would not have pegged you for a wine connoisseur.

Truckles: Hey, I am a man of many interests! Including wine, smashing things, and the philosophy taught to me by the recently deceased Chomsky. People underestimate my intelligence, but my mind is like a sieve!

Grissom: You mean, sponge?

Truckles: Maybe.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Alena: Hey, I notice on the map there's an exit to the town south of here. Since there's no gate, maybe we can escape and I can send word to my father in Santeem to send help.

Giacomo: Brilliant idea, miss Alena! Let us head down the not-at-all ominous sounding Sinister street.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-14.png

Truckles: This street doesn't seem so bad.

Pants: Maybe it just got its name because a lot of left-handed people live on it.

Loto or Erdrick: Or dragons!

Truckles: Uh huh.

The party takes five steps down the street

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-15.png

Alena: I can't wait to get back to Santeem, where the sky is blue, the grass is green, and every question can be answered by yes or no.

Loto or Erdrick: As it should be.

Grissom: Does it seem odd to anyone that this exit to the city would be completely unblocked and unguarded?

Pants: Oh, you know how diabolical villains are, they always leave an avenue for the hero(es) to escape.

Grissom: Yeah, but I didn't think it would be a literal avenue.

The party take ten more steps down the street

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-16.png

Truckles: Man, seems like we've been walking down this street forever. I wonder how far we've... Whuh?!?

Alena: What is it, Truckles?

Truckles: Turn around.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-17.png

Giacomo: Why, for all the steps we've taken, we are no further out of town than when we started! What sort of foul magic is this?

Grissom: Hey buddy, magic has been a force for much good in this world and, though it may be misused, there is nothing foul about it!

Alena: What's his deal?

Truckles: Must be one of those Magic Anti-Defamation League members.

Pants: Guys, this may be the alcohol talking, but I'm getting really paranoid being here so far from a temple that we may be ambushed by a horde of barbarians or something.

Grissom: Pants, alcohol makes you braver. It's marijuana that makes you paranoid.

Pants: Oh, it must that talking then.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-18.png

Truckles: Hobbits again? What's with these guys?

Pants: Oh hey, guys, did I forget to mention the local Hobbit chieftess put a bounty on my head?

Everyone else: What?!?

Pants: Yeah, well, you see my barding school was doing a student performance for her and her entourage. During my solo, her uncle just happened to have a heart attack and she blamed me for it. Can you believe that?

Truckles: Having heard your singing, yes.

Giacomo: Guys, ladies prefer it if you only show a little chest hair, not the whole package.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-20.png

Loto or Erdrick: That'll teach them to go shirtless!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-21.png

Grissom: I'd feel bad about killing these guys if they didn't carry so much gold on them.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-22.png

Pants: Geez, these guys sent their whole army against us!

Loto or Erdrick: [hopefully] Maybe next they'll send a dragon after us!

Truckles: What is it with you and dragons?

Loto or Erdrick: I have... feelings for them.

Alena: Did not need to know that.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 02:44 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-24.png

Truckles: Ooh, a new foe. They look kind of like mercenaries. I wonder how they compare.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-25.png

Giacomo: Blurk! They seem tougher to me.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-26.png

Giacomo: Whew, that's the last of them. Killing these guys better have been worth it!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-27.png

Truckles: 51 gold each? That's... that's, uh... a lot!

Giacomo: Yes, my mathematically challenged friend. Even after healing Loto, we'll have enough left over to get me one of them halbards you and he have been brandishing about.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-30.png

Giacomo: Closed? I didn't even know it was evening!

Pants: We've been so caught up in massacring Hobbits, that we didn't notice how dark the sky had gotten.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-31.png

Alena: Yeah... where I come from, everything gets darker at night.

Loto or Erdrick: Hmmph, where I'm from, a day/night cycle is the peak of luxury.

Grissom: Guys, as much I'm enjoying this discussion on the comparative nocturnal qualities of our homelands, I presume in all of them monsters are a lot worse at night. Given, we can barely survive certain daytime encounters, might I recommend we hole up at the adventurer's guild until morning.

They all agreed that Grissom's plan was best
And headed to advent'rer's hall to rest.
They passed the time until the night was gone
And ventured forth once more at break of dawn.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-32.png

Pants: Maybe Skara Brae does need a few more shades of blue.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 02:47 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-28.png

Alena: Brey? Is that you?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-29.png

Loto or Erdrick: Ha! Cut down before he could unleash his deadly HURT spell.

Grissom: Actually, it would be ARFI, but HURT is a pretty cool four letter abbreviation. What's it stand for?

Loto or Erdrick: Oh, it's not short for anything. It just means hurt. Where I'm from, we just like to capitalize our spell names. Makes them seem more important.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-33.png

Pants: Eight of them? Retreat time!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-34.png

Pants: And we'll be running from these guys too.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-35.png

Pants: Okay, at least we can handle two of them.

Grissom: Say Truckles, I notice you haven't been espousing your new philosophy recently.

Truckles: Oh yeah, uh...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-36.png

Truckles: Eat democracy!

Loto or Erdrick: What he said!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-37.png

Grissom: Sure are a lot of these guys around. Escape!

Loto or Erdrick: It's a good thing I took up jogging.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-38.png

Alena: Well we took out two of them without too much trouble.

Giacomo: I am tired of running. It does not impress the ladies.

Truckles: Yeah, we can show these tools of the corrupt power hegemony what's what!

Grissom: Truckles, that actually made sense.

Pants: That's probably a bad sign.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u6-39.png

Loto or Erdrick: Oh no! I have fallen in my prime before my quest for a dragon could be completed. Truckles, will you take this tablet of Erdrick so future generations may know of me?

Truckles: No.

Loto or Erdrick: But thou must!

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Although the three barbarians were felled,
The spirits of brave Fight an 'eal were quelled.
They'd made some good steps forward from their start,
But now returned again with heavy heart.

Alena: I'm going to miss Loto... Erdrick... whatever. I feel like we had a connection.

Giacomo: If you like, miss Alena, I could comfort you and then, perhaps, we could make a connection.

Alena glares at Giacomo

Pants: Ooh, I'm going to have to remember that line.

Grissom: I wonder what was on that tablet of his.

Truckles: If you'd like, you can read it.

Truckles hands the tablet of Erdrick to Grissom

Alena: [surprised, but happy] Truckles, you did take it!

Truckles: [shrugs] He wouldn't take no for an answer.

Grissom: Ah, now let's see what his final message to the world was...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/erdrickrules.png

Ample Vigour
06-14-2008, 03:06 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/erdrickrules.png

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/fonkaygarry/windowslivewriterpersonajesdepelcul.gif

nunix
06-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Loto or Erdrick: Oh no! I have fallen in my prime before my quest for a dragon could be completed. Truckles, will you take this tablet of Erdrick so future generations may know of me?

Truckles: No.

Loto or Erdrick: But thou must!

The Hedgehog wins.

Pajaro Pete
06-14-2008, 04:18 PM
The mortality rate for this group is astounding.

Red Hedgehog
06-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Elf Magician

...will be the next to join our motley crew. And since Zithuan neglected to supply a name for this individual, I will be using Shivam's suggestion to name him or her after noted a noted Talking Tyrant. But which one will it be?

Stay tuned to find out!

Brickroad
06-14-2008, 07:14 PM
NEVAR FORGET

Octopus Prime
06-15-2008, 06:16 AM
Stop letting my favorite characters die!

It's making me sad!

shivam
06-15-2008, 10:31 AM
BUT THOU MUST!

DANoWAR
06-15-2008, 03:51 PM
At least this magician won't die in battle (for now), since he's in the back row, and there is still some time until monsters attack ranged.

Wouldn't it be time for Grissom or Pants to be the first to advance in rank? I don't remember how many EXP you need to promote to level 2...

Also, I don't remember the other quantity you need, not to spoil something *g*

EDIT: The honor of joining the fellow ranks of Fight an 'eal should probably go to the one with the highest post count (only to be killed during a drinking binge in the night).

PapillonReel
06-15-2008, 04:15 PM
I humbly request that the next recruit following the magician be the dramatic return of Doctor Orpheus. It just isn't the same without him!

KCar
06-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I humbly request that the next recruit following the magician be the dramatic return of Doctor Orpheus. It just isn't the same without him!

He could return as the product of NECROMANTIC ARTS as an ABOMINATION!

Egarwaen
06-15-2008, 05:42 PM
He could return as the product of NECROMANTIC ARTS as an ABOMINATION!

Or just have survived his noble self-sacrifice.

There's precedent!

Rai
06-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Or just have survived his noble self-sacrifice.

There's precedent!
Everyone in FFIV, for example.

TheSL
06-16-2008, 06:36 AM
That was totally worth badmouthing Gnome Chomsky, excellent work Red Hedgehog. I would say its a shame he died so early, but that kind of seems to be the norm for this group. How much exp does it take to get a level up in this game anyways?

Red Hedgehog
06-16-2008, 08:44 PM
The Fight an 'eal brigade had lost a man,
But did not realize they'd gained a fan.
He'd followed their adventures by the by
And now worked up courage to say 'hi!'

Man: Gee guys, I'm really sorry for your loss.

The five in Fight an 'eal looked up to see
A sprightly man whose eyes twinkled with glee.
Though his appearance seemed to mark him old,
They knew not to make judgments quite so bold.

Alena: Uh, thanks.

Giacomo: We are grateful for your condolences.

The man continues to stand there, staring at them with a slight smile on his face. After a pause, he speaks.

Man: My name is Calorie Mate!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/caloriemate.png

No one knows quite what to make of him.

Truckles: Do youÖ want something?

Calorie Mate: WellÖ you seeÖ I've been following what you guys have been doing. You know, your whole plan to free Skara Brae from Mangar and everything and I just think that sounds keen! I would love to, you know, if you guys would let me, join you and go on adventures and quests and all that other swell stuff!

Truckles: Pfaw! You?!?

Grissom: Now, now, Truckles, his fashion indicates he is some sort of magic user. That may come in handy.

Giacomo: So, Mr. friend of calories, what can you do?

Calorie Mate: Ooh, lots of stuff! I can blow rings from my staff like this:

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/ring.gif

Despite the fervent mage finding this "neat"
The rest were unimpressed by his great feat.

Grissom: I'm sure you're trained as a magician or conjurer, right?

Calorie Mate: Yeah, yeah. I can do all the vorpal plating and scry site stuff, but seriously guys: Rings! From my staff!

Giacomo: Very well, we willÖ discussÖ your membership.

Calorie Mate: Golly!

The five current members of Fight an 'eal step away from Calorie Mate

Alena: This guy is crazy. And also seems to be about 12 years old.

Pants: I like him. He seems to have a great, care-free attitude that our group could use. And... he seems to appreciate my singing.

Truckles: He annoys me.

Grissom: Guys, think of the strategic possibilities he adds to our group. We'll finally be able to have all six members contribute to battle. I'm sure we can overlook his... imperfections.

Giacomo: I am bit... put off by his name. Isn't the point to avoid calories? Why would one want to mate with a Calorie? How is that even possible?

Truckles: Ah ha!

Giacomo: Still, he has a certain naive charm. And Mr. Grissom makes a good point about spreading the fighting around.

Alena: Yeah, I can't deny the benefit of additional magic users.

Grissom: Truckles?

Truckles: Fine. But if he gets too annoying, I'll smack him!

Pants: Excellent! Less smacking for me!

The group returns to Calorie Mate

Giacomo: Mr. Calorie Mate, we have decided to overlook your sexual fetishes and welcome you to our group.

Grissom: Not the way I would have put it...

Calorie Mate: Aw sucks, thanks. You guys are the best! I promise I won't let you down!

Next time: Does he?

Sprite
06-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Calorie Mate: Aw sucks, thanks. You guys are the best! I promise I won't let you down!

Next time: Does he?

hee hee hee hee hee

Alixsar
06-16-2008, 11:46 PM

This guy gets it. I miss Doctor Orpheus so much. And I know I'm a bit late, but I was glad to see Chomsky go. Easily the worst character so far.

DANoWAR
06-17-2008, 01:05 AM
This guy gets it. I miss Doctor Orpheus so much. And I know I'm a bit late, but I was glad to see Chomsky go. Easily the worst character so far.

Was he the Nikki and Paulo of Bard's Tale?

Red Hedgehog
06-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Work has been hell recently, so I haven't had much time to play in the game. In the meantime, I bring you:

Intermezzo: Building a party in Bardís Tale

I wonít claim to be an expert on the mechanics of The Bardís Tale, but I am pretty experienced in building a beginning party since, as youíve seen, your party members die a lot at the beginning and you need to create new ones a lot.

Letís begin this discussion by looking at a question posed:
How difficult are later dungeons if you get stuck with a crappy party Hedge? Also, what's a good balance? I'd guess Fighter, Monk, aaaand Paladin? in the front row. (I think I normally ran with a Thief for trap disarms, but a comment you made implied a Conjurer does a better job at this.) Back row of Conjurer, Wizard, and Bard (who gets rotated into the front when someone is low hp).

The nice thing about Bardís Tale and many other dungeon crawlers (Etrian Odyssey continued this trend) is that you canít get stuck with a crappy party. If you find someone isnít pulling their weight, just ditch them and add a new person. Youíll have to spend a little time leveling them up to get them up to speed, but itís usually worth it. In fact, there is one class that I (and all guides Iíve read) recommend for starting parties that is worth ditching at some point.

In regards to the second part of the question above, Ruik has the basic idea right. Since only the front three can attack (and be attacked) you want those to be fighter-types (Warrior, Hunter, Paladin, Monk). Since you want the back row to help you win your fights, you want them to be magic-using types (Bard, Conjurer, and Magician). Where does this leave the thief? Where, indeed. Letís take a closer look at each class:

Warrior
The base fighter-type in The Bard's Tale, warriors can use nearly every weapon there is. For every 4 levels of experience after the 1st, Warriors get an extra attack ability in combat.

Paladin
Paladins are fighters who have sworn to abstain from all evil and to uphold honor and purity in all places. They can use most weapons and some that no other fighters can. They get multiple attacks at higher levels. They also have a greatly increased resistance to evil magic.

In my experience, Warriors and Paladins are fairly interchangeable. Both can use some of the best weapons and armors and end up being great damage sponges. The Warrior gains its extra attacks faster than the Paladin, and it isnít clear to be just how much affect the Paladinís increased resistances have, but both are solid throughout the game.

Monk
A martial artist, an almost inhuman fighting machine trained to fight without weapons or armor. The monk can use them, but, at higher levels particularly, often does better without.

Monks are fragile in the beginning, amazing in the mid-game, and equivalent to Warriors or Paladins by the end. In the beginning of the game, Monks canít equip as good armor and weapon as the other fighters. This makes them not great fighters who die easier. However, as they level up, their armor class starts dropping like a rock making them the first class that can get to the lowest possible armor class. They also start doing great damage with their bare hands, which is at least equivalent to whatever the other classes are doing with the new weapons you are finding. By the end game, Warriors and Paladins have great armor and great weapon making their armor class and attacks equivalent.

Hunter
An assassin, a mercenary, a ninja. The hunter can use most weapons, and has the ability (which grows with experience) to do critical hits in combat (i.e., to attack a nerve center or other vital area and instantly kill an opponent). A good skill.

Hunters wait until the end game until they become really good. While at the beginning, they can equip everything a Warrior or Paladin can, they soon get left behind because they donít get the multiple hits of those classes. By the end game, though, their chance for doing a critical hit is so high that they become the most useful fighter. Especially because the other fighters canít match the damage done by magic in the end game.

Bard
The Bard is a wandering minstrel. You'll see him with a tankard of ale in front of him in the less reputable taverns - the rowdier the better. Bards were once warriors, and can still use most warrior weapons. But they turned to music instead and now play songs with an almost magical effect on other characters. Bards don't get the warrior's advantage of extra attacks in combat anymore - but their magic is so unique, it is almost impossible to survive Skara Brae without one.

That last sentence is a lie. Bards are great when you are first starting out because they can equip all the weapons and armor that the best fighters can. This means that you can put them on your front line, possibly instead of a Monk and they will fight as well as a Warrior, Paladin, or Hunter. You can also leave them as your fourth member, ready to take the place of anyone who falls in combat. Bard songs, unfortunately, just donít go very far. As youíve seen, they can provide relatively cheap healing early on (though it requires you to get into a combat), and their song that decreases everyoneís armor class does help your party survive. But even relatively early, they just become outclassed. The true fighters fight better than them and the true magic users have better effects (though I do seem to remember that their songs become better as they gain levels). Every guide on Bardís Tale that Iíve read recommends (and I agree) trading a bard for a third magic user eventually. As for the last sentence in their description (and the name of the game), there are certain puzzles that are solved just by having a bard. But a magic user of the right type and level can also get past them.

Thief
A professional thief with so-so combat ability, the rogue can hide in shadows, search for traps and disarm them. Without a rogue your party will pay very dearly for the booty it wins.

Once again, the last sentence in a total lie. As I attempted to make clear in Philliamís brief stay in the party, thieves in The Bardís Tale are useless. They arenít very good fighters. In battle, they have the ability to hide in shadows which means that they cannot be attacked. But they also cannot attack while doing this, so it doesnít help you at all. Their other ability is that of disarming traps. Whether they disarm a trap is dependent on their Luck attribute, their level, the difficulty of a trap, and a random factor. Meanwhile, Conjurerís have a level one spell that disarms any trap with 100% certainty. Trap Zap costs 2 spell points, which is expensive for a low level character, but a trap at that level will likely decimate your party so youíll have to do it anyway. Once they become high enough level, 2 spell points is nothing. So stay away from thieves unless you want to give yourself a challenge.

Conjurer
One of the 4 classes of Magic Users, Conjurers deal in the physical creation and manifestation of real things (like fire, light, healing).

Conjurers are the best magic users to have in a beginning party. They have the aforementioned Trap Zap spell as well as Arc Fire which can damage enemies. They also get a healing spell at level 3 which makes the game a lot easier.

Magician
Another of the 4 classes of Magic Users, Magicians deal with magic as it affects physical objects (i.e., enchanting a sword, making armor stronger, making a dungeon wall disappear).

At low levels, Magicians mostly have buffs and debuffs. They help and should certainly be used, but more useful may Scry Site which is of great help in mapping dungeons. As they gain in levels, they gain useful damage dealing spells and one of the last spells they learn is as good a healing spell as the best one a conjurer learns.

Red Hedgehog
06-19-2008, 01:12 PM
That covers all the classes, but what about races? The race of a character reflects the distribution of ability scores they get when you create them. Like most early RPGs, The Bardís Tale took its cue from D&D and you ďroll upĒ your characters. Once you choose a race, you are presented with the attributes generated for that character. If you donít like them, you can press Escape and re-roll. Which you totally should do if you donít get high enough numbers in the appropriate stats.

There are going to be, at most, three stats you care about for your character. All characters want a high Dexterity Ė it determines how quickly your character acts in battle (as well as lowering their armor class if itís high enough). Acting before the monsters in battle is, of course huge. To a lesser degree, all characters want high Constitution. Constitution determines how many hit points you get when you gain levels. Since the three on the front line take most of the hits, constitution is far more important for them than the back three. The third statistic depends on the type of the character. For a fighter, you want high strength as it affects how much damage you do to enemies in combat. For a magic user, you want high intelligence as it affects how many spell points you get when you gain levels. For bards, go with strength since intelligence has no effect on their songs. Having high luck is nice for the boost in resistance to certain effects it provides, but it isnít worth rerolling to raise it. (Youíll notice most of the characters Iíve created have pitifully low Luck.)

Yeah, I'd prefer you guys would min-max.
I'm not sure what you mean by this in the context of Bard's Tale...

What I meant is similar to what I think of in D&D and other RPGs: You want to pick the race most suited to the class you are going for. Given you want 2-3 high attributes for your character, you want to pick the race that maximizes those. This is tough, as the instruction manual rarely outright tells you what attributes a race is better or worse at, and I havenít found a strategy guide that mentions it. So I rolled each race twelve times to see what their attribute tendencies were*:

Human: Good Str, Above average Con, Below average IQ, Above Average Luck
Elf: Above average IQ
Dwarf: Great Str, Below average IQ, Good Con, Below average Luck
Hobbit: Awful Str, Above average IQ, Great Dex, Below average Con, Great Luck
Half-Elf: Above Average Dex
Half-Orc: Good Str, Poor IQ, Great Con
Gnome: Good IQ, Poor Con, Poor Luck

Given these findings, fighters are best being Dwarves or Half-Orcs. They are really fairly interchangeable as it is easy for both to get 17s and 18s in Strength and Consitution and high Dexterity scores as well. And between the two of them, you can cover all fighting classes.

The determination of which race makes the best magic user isÖinconclusive. While elves would seem to blow away gnomes due to their slightly higher dexterity and higher constitution (gnome have slightly higher intelligence), in the twelve elf rolls I did, not one had three good numbers for the important attributes. At most two of those would be good while the other would be poor. Iím not sure if this is random noise or some way the game generates characters, but as it stood, Gnomes and Elves were actually equivalent in term of how good they were as magic users.

Hobbits would make the best thieves if thieves were ever worth having.

Since you mostly only care about dexterity for Bards, a Hobbit might seem to be the best choice. However, since thereís a good chance your bard will get into some fight, a Dwarf is probably the best choice since you can get their dexterity pretty high and then have a high constitution as well.

Tl;dr Final Advice:
A beginning Bardís Tale party should consist of:

Any three of Dwarf Warrior, Half-Orc Warrior, Dwarf Paladin, Dwarf Monk, Dwarf Hunter, Half-Orc Hunter. But probably not more than one Monk.
One Dwarf Bard
One Gnome or Elf Magician
One Gnome or Elf Conjurer

Work should hopefully lighten up tonight so I can play some and maybe write it up on Friday.

*Another interesting thing I found is that all characters, regardless have race, have the same starting hit point distribution. The min seems to be 14 and the max 29 with most characters fitting right around the average of 21.

shivam
06-19-2008, 01:17 PM
wow. this game is more D&D than even official D&D games.

Calorie Mate
06-19-2008, 01:29 PM
http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/ring.gif

No, seriously. Look at them.

DANoWAR
06-19-2008, 02:06 PM
No, seriously. Look at them.

I smell a change of avatar...

Red Hedgehog, I hope you're constantly working towards a

Warrior/Paladin
Hunter
Monk
Bard
Conjurer
Magician

party. At least this combo would show all aspects (well, apart from the thief, but he only gains importance in the third Bard's Tale).

Carry on killing ;-)

I need John Locke.
"DON'T tell me what I CAN'T do!" *whacks Mangar unconscious*

EDIT: Me like Truckles, so Giacomo the Ladies Man could fall prey to a most unfortunate accident...Let's see if I can bribe some monsters into target practice. There aren't any ladies to begin with in Bard's Tale. I remember not seeing any breasts in this game.

Ruik
06-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the writeup on the classes Hedgehog.

Confession time: I never did make it more than 1 or 2 floors into the first dungeon. So I'm looking forward to mid and end game parts quite a bit.

DANoWAR
06-21-2008, 04:53 AM
I talked about this LP with my brother, and he told me that monsters you encounter during searching houses are a bit tougher than monsters you encounter just walking in the streets.

Red Hedgehog
06-21-2008, 11:39 AM
I talked about this LP with my brother, and he told me that monsters you encounter during searching houses are a bit tougher than monsters you encounter just walking in the streets.

That's an interesting hypothesis. It is definitely the case that encounters are much more common in houses than on the streets, but I haven't noticed them specifically being tougher. I ran into groups of 7 enemies on the streets as well as in houses. As I play, I'll try to keep track of whether the enemies in the houses really are more difficult (the walkthroughs and even the official clue book I can find have very little information on actual game mechanics).

DANoWAR
06-21-2008, 11:54 AM
That's an interesting hypothesis. It is definitely the case that encounters are much more common in houses than on the streets, but I haven't noticed them specifically being tougher. I ran into groups of 7 enemies on the streets as well as in houses. As I play, I'll try to keep track of whether the enemies in the houses really are more difficult (the walkthroughs and even the official clue book I can find have very little information on actual game mechanics).

I think he meant that while the types of enemies you encounter on the street and in houses are the same, it's just that you are more likely to face barbarians in houses than outside. Maybe...

MoltenBoron
06-21-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm curious what Mangar the Dark's plans for Skara Brae are. On the one hand, he hasn't just wiped out everyone, it's still a quasi-functioning town, but on the other hand he's made the city pretty nasty, with the rampaging bands of monsters and the abandoned houses and the dungeons, for no discernable reason. You'd think he'd either kill everyone or keep the city in a reasonable state to serve as a power base for whatever it is he's planning.

In short, he doesn't seem to have done much except get Skara Brae taken off the list of the Top 20 Most Livable Cities, between the hobgoblins and the lack of rail access to airports.

dwolfe
06-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Glad to see this thread alive and kicking, and it's been a blast so far catching up :)

Are you at the point where you're actually going to visit somewhere yet, or still grinding for that second level/$ for gear?

Red Hedgehog
06-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Well, due to my friend canceling on me tonight, I finally got a chance to play some Bard's Tale. Hopefully I can write it up by tomorrow night.

I think he meant that while the types of enemies you encounter on the street and in houses are the same, it's just that you are more likely to face barbarians in houses than outside. Maybe...

So I kept track of what type of enemies and how many I found on the city streets vs. in abandoned houses and it looks like your brother was right. One group of 4 skeletons and one group of 2 barbarians was the worst I found in the streets. Meanwhile, the houses seemed to have significantly more enemies both in terms of numbers (on the streets it was at most one kobold or 2 hobgoblins - in houses up to 5 kobolds and 5 hobgoblins) and types.

I'm curious what Mangar the Dark's plans for Skara Brae are. On the one hand, he hasn't just wiped out everyone, it's still a quasi-functioning town, but on the other hand he's made the city pretty nasty, with the rampaging bands of monsters and the abandoned houses and the dungeons, for no discernable reason. You'd think he'd either kill everyone or keep the city in a reasonable state to serve as a power base for whatever it is he's planning.

In short, he doesn't seem to have done much except get Skara Brae taken off the list of the Top 20 Most Livable Cities, between the hobgoblins and the lack of rail access to airports.

Ha! That's hilarious. I wish I thought of it as I totally would have used it as dialogue. Mangar did set himself up in a big castle, so maybe that's all he really cared about.

Are you at the point where you're actually going to visit somewhere yet, or still grinding for that second level/$ for gear?

The next update should be the last set of in-city grinding. After this, we go places.

Yes folks, that means it looks like we've finally gotten a party to stick! All six members that began the session alive also ended it that way.

PapillonReel
06-21-2008, 08:02 PM
By the way, what kind of enemies do you fight at night? Are they really that much worse than what you find during the day?

DANoWAR
06-22-2008, 01:17 AM
By the way, what kind of enemies do you fight at night? Are they really that much worse than what you find during the day?

http://www.geocities.com/thebardstale/creatures_kp_files/x_wolf.gif

DANoWAR
06-24-2008, 06:39 AM
*wishes so hard for Red Hedgehog to be able to update again*

Red Hedgehog
06-24-2008, 06:59 AM
*wishes so hard for Red Hedgehog to be able to update again*

Sorry. I have a ton of crap going on right now such that my free time is virtually nil. Maybe Thursday?

DANoWAR
06-26-2008, 12:48 PM
In the meantime: Lookie what I found! Animated GIFs!

http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/pc/bardstale1/images/enemies/gnome.gif

Red Hedgehog
06-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Fight an' eal, once again, numbered six.
With addition of Calorie's tricks.
Since Truckles was messed up,
They got his wounds dressed up.
Inspiration then hit him like bricks.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-02.png

Truckles: Uh, Grissom.

Grissom: Yeah, Truckles?

Truckles: You know how, with each battle we fight, we get more, uh, experienced?

Grissom: Sure.

Truckles: Well, I kind of feel like I should have reached the next, uh, level, of
proficiency... at my job.

Pants: Come to think of it, I feel like I should be better at bardering, er, barding, er, bard-type stuff.

Grissom: Wow, you guys are totally right. Let's see what our adventurer's manual has to say about this:

You'll have to find the Review Board (where levels are awarded and magic is taught) on your own.

Truckles: You must be fucking kidding me.

Grissom: Wow, it's not even marked on our map.

Pants: Does it give any clue as to where it might be?

Grissom: Let's see... on the line right above that... it mentions taverns as a source of gossip.

Pants: Sweet! To the bar!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-03.png

Giacomo: Hmmph! I cannot believe we are going to pay this man for his... services.

Pants: After all the drinks I've had here, maybe he'll give me gossip for free.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-04.png

Pants: Or maybe not. How's, uh, 1 gold coin for your trouble?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-05.png

Alena: Uh... yeah. So he's basically saying he wants us to spend more money in his bar. Great advice.

Truckles: Pants! Give him more money!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-07.png

Pants: Uh... ok?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-08.png

Pants: Trumpet street? Isn't that where I really wanted to go into one of the unmarked buildings? Maybe that's it!

Grissom: Or maybe that was 7 Barbarians ready to grind us into a fine red mist.

Truckles: A chance I'm willing to take. To Trumpet street!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-09.png

Calorie Mate: Oh boy! My first battle!

Pants: We were all eager in our first battles too. Until some Barbarians brutally dismembered...

Grissom: Shh... the lad doesn't need to know such things.

Giacomo: So precocious one, what is it exactly that you can do?

Calorie Mate: I can blow rings from my--

Giacomo: In battle! To help us out!

Calorie Mate: Oh. I can give one of your weapons vorpal plating for a battle which will increase its damage.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-10.png

Calorie Mate: Snicker-snack!

DANoWAR
06-30-2008, 02:01 PM
OOooh, a cliff-hanger ;-)

I just remembered this: I think you should challenge the whole of Talking Time with the riddles of the Magic Mouths. Those were REAL puzzles, not the lame "Find Lever/Push Boulder" type puzzles of today...

Ruik
06-30-2008, 03:34 PM
One, two! One, two! and through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.

DANoWAR
06-30-2008, 03:58 PM
And here I was thinking that "Vorpal" was a real english word.

Ruik
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Well, it wouldn't be the first word Lewis Carroll made up that became a real word. For instance, chortle (http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/chortle) was first used in that same poem.

EDIT: Also, does no one like that dude's wine, so that he has to make a sale's pitch to get people to buy it?

fanboymaster
06-30-2008, 05:21 PM
Beware the Jabberwock my son, the jaws that bite, the claws that catch, beware the Jub-Jub bird and shun the frumious bandersnatch.

I may have gotten that part wrong but I had to memorize that whole poem for a school assignment once.

Red Hedgehog
06-30-2008, 07:37 PM
With young Calorie Mate's brand new spell
The two Hobgoblins heads quickly fell.
Then they scampered off toward
The Advisory Board
Hoping feelings of Pants were a tell.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-11.png

Pants: Okay, I really want to go in the door off to the left!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-12.png

Alena: Um... looks pretty non-descript... like one of the doors that had nasty, bloodthirsty creatures that could easily kill us.

Truckles: Bah! What are we, snivelling cowardly hobbits?

Pants: In my case, yes!

Truckles: Charge!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-13.png

All: Whew.

Giacomo: You guys sure do not make it easy to find your personages.

Board Member #1: Do you have any idea how annoying you adventurers are? Every time you off a couple of kobolds, you think you deserve something. You come in here, causing a ruckus, getting your muddy bootprints all over everything and then get annoyed when we don't promote you and leave in a huff.

Alena: If you dislike us so much, then why do you stay open?

Board Member #2: [shrugs] It pays the bills.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-14.png

Truckles: Ooh, me, me! Pick me!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-15.png

Truckles: I feel like I should hit the casinos now.

Pants: How about me?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-16.png

Pants: Oh yeah, dulcet tones and huge muscles!

Grissom: Alright you old fuddy-duddies, check me out!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-17.png

Grissom: Ha! I'm tough as nails, nothing can hurt me!

Truckles punches him in the stomach

Grissom: Oof!

Truckles: That seems to have hurt you.

Alena: Ahem, I also feel like I might be ready for advancement.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-18.png

Alena: You think you've got impressive muscles Pants?

Truckles: Ha ha, she puts you to shame.

Pants: *whimper*

Giacomo: Since everyone else seems to be advancing, I am sure that I too will gain something to impress the ladies.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-19.png

Giacomo: Crap.

Ample Vigour
06-30-2008, 08:11 PM
This gives me flashbacks to training costs in AD&D, but in a good way.

Red Hedgehog
06-30-2008, 08:17 PM
Intermezzo: Leveling up in Bard's Tale

This last update basically shows you how your characters go up a level in Bard's Tale. First they must gain enough experience. Once they do, you go to the advisory board and they will grant you a level up. This grants additional hit points (and spell points to magic users) as in most games. In addition, you get +1 to a random attribute. This can be pretty awesome or pretty lame depending on what attribute gets raised. Since there are generally four attributes that matter, it generally won't be too bad. (i.e. Fighters don't care about Intelligence and Magic Users don't care about strength). Magic Users don't care as much about Constitution as the other three statistics. I was nice and lucky that everyone got at least a decent attribute upgrade.

You'll also noticed that Alena went up a level while Giacomo didn't, even though they've both been in the party the same amount of time. Different classes go up at different rates. Except for the special magic-user classes that are only available later, there are two experience tables: Warrior, Paladin, Hunter, Bard, and Rogue fall into table A and Monk, Conjurer and Magician fall into table B. Classes in Table B advance a little more quickly than those in table A up through level 8. After that, classes in table A advance more quickly. The difference really aren't that profound (Table A gets to level 2 at 2000 experience points while Table B gets there at 1800) but it's something to keep in mind.

One final aspect of gaining a level is getting new spells. Magic users only gain new spells at odd-numbered levels so you'll see how that works when Grissom reaches level 3.

EDIT: You'll also notice Alena's Armor Class went down. For each level a Monk gains, they lose one point of AC. This means their Armor Class quickly gets to be the best in the group.

Red Hedgehog
06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Giacomo: I propose that we run around and fight random monsters until the ingrates at the review board decide to give me my due!

Truckles: That involves fighting the oppressive power regime and smashing things so I approve.

Alena: Yeah, I want to test out my newfound strength.

The crew with their latest advances,
Was willing to take some more chances.
In houses they roamed
And splattered some Gnomes,
But then a new foe met their glances.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-22.png

Calorie Mate: A puppy!

Alena: I always wanted a dog, but my father never let me have one.

Truckles: He doesn't look very friendly.

Giacomo: Do not worry, my charm can tame both man and beast.

Mad Dog: Grrrrrrr!

Giacomo: On second thought...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-23.png

Pants: I've always wanted to kill puppies!

Everyone stares at him

Giacomo: Mr. Pants, these are things you keep to yourself.

Grissom: Say, to completely change the topic, but it appears we'll have a bit of extra cash after healing Giacomo. How about outfitting us on the back line with the best armor we can have? It will be pretty cheap.

Alena: Why don't we who are actually getting hit get the best armor?

Grissom: Because your armor costs astronomically more than ours?

Alena: Fine. Be that way.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-25.png

Grissom: See? Only 40 gold for these fine robes.

Truckles: But then why did we buy Pants scale armor? That cost 300.

Giacomo: Because we are all afraid of him now.

Alena: Hey, why do leather gloves cost more than gauntlets? They provide the same protection.

Grissom: Because when Mangar came into town, many of the cows were killed creating a significant leather shortage.

Alena: But leather armor is still pretty cheap.

Grissom: Well, uh, I don't know, but I'm sure it isn't any gameplay conceit because twice as many classes can use leather gloves as can use gauntlets.

Truckles: You talk funny sometimes.

Giacomo: I think we can head back to the review board now. I am clearly more experienced in the ways of... mostly killing things I would guess.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-26.png

Giacomo: Ha! I had a feeling I was going to get lucky tonight.

DANoWAR
07-01-2008, 02:27 AM
Awesome! Now to kick some statue butt! Repeatedly, if it can be done...if it nets you enough gold.

Red Hedgehog
07-01-2008, 09:09 AM
Awesome! Now to kick some statue butt! Repeatedly, if it can be done...if it nets you enough gold.

In the version of Bard's Tale I played, statues would reset just by entering and exiting the adventurer's guild. In this one, it seems I actually have to quit and reload the game, making statue farming more difficult (a shame since the Samurai statue was the best way to farm experience in the early going).

Ruik
07-02-2008, 03:49 AM
Intermezzo: Leveling up in Bard's Tale

Classes in Table B advance a little more quickly than those in table B up through level 8.

Small typo that makes an important point confusing.

Anyways, glad to see our brave warriors have finally begun to survive long enough to level. I'm not sure I could handle this much grinding in the streets. Once I found where the first dungeon was at; I'd usually head there pretty fast. Probably why I never got all the way through it.

Red Hedgehog
07-08-2008, 08:10 PM
Calorie Mate: Guys? I know you're all happy that you've gained the approval of these mysterious robed figures, but I'm bored.

Truckles: Yeah? What do you want to do, pipsqueak?

Calorie Mate: Uh... I don't know? Help?

Alena: I'd love to see more of what this town has to offer. Especially since most of my stay here has consisted of hanging out with the losers at the adventurers hall.

Everyone stares at Alena

Alena: Uh, present company excluded. Of course.

Giacomo: Damn straight!

Grissom: That sounds like a good idea, let's check our map.

Calorie Mate: Ooh! Let's check out the Gran Plaz! That sounds fancy.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-27.png

Alena: Wow, that looks... uh... like nothing.

Grissom: Skara Brae is not known for its draw distance.

Pants: The map shows there are lots of temples on the Gran Plaz... including the Mad God's Temple. Can we go there? I've always wondered what he's angry about.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-28.png

Pants: So, is your god upset about something. Or, uh, do you mean that he's, like, cuckoo for cocoa puffs?

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-29.png

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-30.png

Pants: He's as mad as any I know...*

*If I had played this recently, the name there would probably be Dyack

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-31.png

Pants: But I'm not...

Truckles: Time to go, Pants.

Pants: Hmmph. So now what?

Giacomo: There are many other temples on this square. Maybe one worships my deity.

Alena: Who is your deity, anyway?

Giacomo: Wilt Chamberlain

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-33.png

Pants: Ooh, Great Gods. They sound pretty good.

Giacomo: Now, now. It's always best to shop around to see who has the best Gods. It's what I did. Let's check out the temple next to theirs...

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-32.png

Giacomo: You see? Greatest Gods. Clearly, this is the temple to go to.

Pants: Say, Mr. Priest, how do you know your Gods are the Greatest?

Priest: Our Gods won the God-Penis-Measuring Contest.

Alena: Eww.

Grissom: Let's leave before he tells us whether that is metaphorical or not.

Red Hedgehog
07-08-2008, 08:12 PM
Calorie Mate: Let's explore more! How about this suspicious looking house northwest of the Gran Plaz?

Pants: Where?

Calorie Mate: At the corner of Grey Knife and Serpent - it looks like one of the specially marked buildings.

Pants: Ooh, that looks fun!

Grissom: What is it with you people and wanting to enter suspicious looking places? In the past they've served to nearly get us all killed.

Truckles: Ha! We are stronger now! Bring on the hordes of barbarians!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-35.png

Grissom: *gulp*

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-36.png

Calorie Mate: You don't look like a Barbarian.

Roscoe: 'course I'm not. I'm a wizard! 'oo wants some spell points?

Calorie Mate: Gee, we're all full up, but thanks for the offer!

Roscoe: Bah! Then get'cher arses out of 'ere and stop botherin' me cat, Twinkles.

Pants: Now what?

Truckles: The map says there are statues over there. We're pretty good at beating up that one on Rakhir street. Let's do the same for those!

Giacomo: You are nothing, if not consistent my semi-orcish friend.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-38.png

Grissom: That, uh, looks a bit tougher than the samurai statue.

Truckles: Yeah, even I'm not stupid enough to attack it.

Next they wandered around the northwest,
Tried a tavern which failed to impress.
And then they knocked flat
Some Skeletons that
Gave Truckle a hole in the chest.

Truckles: I'm kinda woozy.

Calorie Mates: Surely the greatest Gods can help you out!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll14/red_hedgehog/u7-43.png

Grissom: I see the Greatest Gods charge the same for their service as all the other temples.

Priest: Count yourself lucky we don't charge more!

Ample Vigour
07-08-2008, 08:52 PM
The grinding... It harms the very fiber of my being.

Luckily, the Great Gods/Greatest Gods beef picks me right back up again!

Ruik
07-08-2008, 10:11 PM
I... I never noticed the "Great Gods" "Greatest Gods" before. Thats freaking awesome.

dwolfe
07-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Is there any difference in temples other than how great their gods are?

I want to see a temple with 'awesome gods'.

DANoWAR
07-09-2008, 12:00 AM
And here I thought a Temple of "Radical Gods" would please you most.

mr_bungle700
07-09-2008, 12:26 AM
The laugh induced by the "Great Gods"/"Greatest Gods" bit was far louder than is appropriate inside a crowded apartment building at 3:30 in the morning.

Mightyblue
07-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Yeah, that got me too, but when I started thinking about other things to insert in the Temple spot, the funniest one I came up with was "Den of Atheists."

Nothing like sacrilege in the early morning to set yer day off right!

Red Hedgehog
07-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Is there any difference in temples other than how great their gods are?

No. The only special temple is the temple of the mad god. But we don't know his name, yet...

DANoWAR
07-09-2008, 09:25 AM
No. The only special temple is the temple of the mad god. But we don't know his name, yet...

HINT: It's not YHWH.

Falselogic
07-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Oh Bard's Tale oh Red Hedgehog what happened? We barely started the advenutre before it all came to a tragic and drastic end wondering about a temple...

KCar
07-30-2008, 01:48 PM
Yeah, Red - what up? This was one of my favourites, and then I just up and forgot about it.

How dare you have a life outside my amusement!

Red Hedgehog
07-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Sorry guys, work hit me like a ton of bricks this past month. Such that when I come home I barely have an hour or two of time to myself before bed.

I'll be taking a vacation soon which will hopefully refresh me and I'm hoping to get at least one more update in before then (since I've played it, but just not yet written it up).

Brickroad
07-30-2008, 02:15 PM
Good things are worth waiting for. This is one of my favorite LPs to date.

Elfir
07-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Sorry guys, work hit me like a ton of bricks this past month. Such that when I come home I barely have an hour or two of time to myself before bed.

I'll be taking a vacation soon which will hopefully refresh me and I'm hoping to get at least one more update in before then (since I've played it, but just not yet written it up).

Works for me. It's nice to hear something every now and then at least and some things are worth waiting for.

dwolfe
08-24-2008, 07:27 PM
/bump

this thread is gone but not forgotten

nunix
12-03-2009, 11:34 AM

THIS SHOULD BE CONTINUED.

DANoWAR
12-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Oh god, my heart stood still for a minute. Yes, please, continue with the genocide. Pretty Please!

StriderDL
12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
Third'd

dwolfe
12-03-2009, 07:49 PM
/bump

this thread is gone but not forgotten

Damn you all for getting my hopes up here.

Falselogic
06-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Brian Fargo just announced he's making a true sequel to the original Bard's tale trilogy through KS...

It made me think of you dear thread!