PDA

View Full Version : The Films Of Alejandro Jodoworsky

Evil Dead Junkie
06-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Own your very own sign of the Apocalypse on DVD.

Any other film freaks pick these up. I keep darting my head over to the box set to make sure that it's actually there. I honestly expected Peace in the Middle East to happen before these things got put on DVD.

It's great to have them and they've never looked so good, but I can't help but feel that (some of) the fun has gone out of these movies now. The cool thing about Jodoworsky was he was sort of a secret handshake for film freaks, you couldn't just see his films you had to earn them. I'm still holding onto my grainy video of El Topo with blurred out pubic hair and Japanese subtitles so when I wind up in the Film Freak Old Folks Home I can mumble, "You kids today back in my day we watched El Topo on grainy VHS copies dubbed from Japanese 16 mm prints and we liked it!!"

Deadguy2322
06-04-2007, 01:54 PM
I remember when my friend bought the Japanese laserdisc of El Topo. We rushed back to my place to watch it, said "WTF?" all the way through, then he begged me to take it back to the store for him and try to exchange it for something better.

He was lucky I was able to, because it sure as hell was NOT worth $129.99 for THAT.

But, I do have to say it is VERY cool that Jodorowsky and Berg were able to say "We're too old to still be fighting over this." and release this again. Now everybody caan see what an overrated heap of dung El Topo is.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-04-2007, 07:20 PM
I remember when my friend bought the Japanese laserdisc of El Topo. We rushed back to my place to watch it, said "WTF?" all the way through, then he begged me to take it back to the store for him and try to exchange it for something better.

He was lucky I was able to, because it sure as hell was NOT worth $129.99 for THAT.

But, I do have to say it is VERY cool that Jodorowsky and Berg were able to say "We're too old to still be fighting over this." and release this again. Now everybody caan see what an overrated heap of dung El Topo is.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/docs/hateyou.gif

Evil Dead Junkie
06-05-2007, 12:27 AM
I can't resist using this.

The following is an approximation of my reaction upon purchasing The Films Of Alejandro Jodorowsky.

EDIT: Youtube isn't allowed then?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-xWKEG-yxg

Thinaran
06-05-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah, seriously. I found a VHS rip of El Topo, and it blew me away. The first half is essentially Metal Gear Solid, where he goes around the desert and fights these gunfighters with weird skills. And then he suddenly turns into a mime, and the movie starts bashing Christianity. Hurrah!

I need to own it, and I need to see Holy Mountain. The box is still a bit too expensive, though. I need to find it for less than $30, or the shipment'll fall under Norway's archaic import laws.

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Yeah, seriously. I found a VHS rip of El Topo, and it blew me away. The first half is essentially Metal Gear Solid, where he goes around the desert and fights these gunfighters with weird skills. And then he suddenly turns into a mime, and the movie starts bashing Christianity. Hurrah!

I need to own it, and I need to see Holy Mountain. The box is still a bit too expensive, though. I need to find it for less than $30, or the shipment'll fall under Norway's archaic import laws.

You should be able to get the Italian DVDs of both El Topo and The Holy Mountain cheaper than getting the US set. They came out about 2 years ago, and I believe are still in print.

It was only North America that those two films were tied up in a dispute between Jodorowsky and Alan Berg, preventing their release for nearly 30 years.

Actually, I think my negative reaction to El Topo probably had a lot to do with how much it was hyped up by bootleggers and hipsters as this life-changing experience. It was just a deliberately trippy movie with a lot of deformed people in it.

Of course, had I been told that was what it was, I may have liked it better.

Maybe I'll see it again, just to be sure of what I think of it.

Thinaran
06-09-2007, 12:23 PM
But the new set includes the movie Fando & Liz and the short La Cravate, which I've not seen either, commentary track by Jodorowsky, and other bonus features. Plus the soundtracks to El Topo and Holy Mountain on CD.

edit: Santa Sangre is great too. I have the UK Anchor Bay release. The use of colors in that movie is just crazy.

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 01:05 PM
But the new set includes the movie Fando & Liz and the short La Cravate, which I've not seen either, commentary track by Jodorowsky, and other bonus features. Plus the soundtracks to El Topo and Holy Mountain on CD.

edit: Santa Sangre is great too. I have the UK Anchor Bay release. The use of colors in that movie is just crazy.

Fando Y Lis was released individually by Fantoma a little while ago, in Europe and the US, and the commentaries are actually the same as the Italian discs. La Crevate is the only really exclusive thing in the set, and most reviews of the set say it is more just a curiosity, nade before Jodorowsky had really found his voice.

Evil Dead Junkie
06-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Well I'm not going to argue that La Cravate is on par with his best, but its definitely interesting for fans.

Deadguy you ever see the Holy Mountain, that's the real mindblower in the pack makes El Topo look about as crazy as Stagecoach.

Deadguy2322
06-09-2007, 01:37 PM
Well I'm not going to argue that La Cravate is on par with his best, but its definitely interesting for fans.

Deadguy you ever see the Holy Mountain, that's the real mindblower in the pack makes El Topo look about as crazy as Stagecoach.

Not yet. The laserdisc shop I used to frequent didn't rent the Jodorowsky stuff, just sold it, for ridiculous prices, so after not liking El Topo, I took a pass. I might check it out once I clear my current backlog. I have about 40 movies sitting around my house unwatched, and all the Lupin I could find, so it could take a little bit of time.