PDA

View Full Version : FC 24a: Mega Man

Parish
06-26-2008, 12:50 PM
Guys, Mega Man 9. I have to replay the entire series now. AND SO DO YOU!

Mega Man
Capcom | Action | NES and a host of ports | 1987

Let's compare scores here. Can you win without a continue?

TheSL
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM

Maybe if I abused the Elec Beam pause trick, but there isn't a chance in hell otherwise. I'll try and pop this in the NES tonight and see how far I can get.

Pombar
06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Win without a continue? I can't win. It's my unsecret shame second only to never being able to get past Chemical Plant Zone on Sonic 2
I'm giving it another shot right now, but I fear it'll result in more failure and shame.

Parish
06-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Be a man and learn the Yellow Devil's patterns. It's not actually that tough if you practice a little, I swear. Play the PS2 MM Collection version -- the pause trick doesn't work, so you have to make do with skill.

Pombar
06-26-2008, 12:57 PM
Don't believe the MM Collection (since the MMX Collection didn't make it) was ever released in Europe, so I'm going classic mode on Powered Up for this one. Unless it's so awful that I'd be better off using a keyboard on the NES version or something.

Excitemike
06-26-2008, 12:58 PM
Powered Up is useful to practice on, too. The wider screen makes it easier to learn his pattern.

Kishi
06-26-2008, 12:59 PM
There's something incredibly (if intangibly) unique about the music in the first game, especially the stage select and boss fight themes. They'll never be as popular as any number of tunes from MM2 and 3, but they're just resonant in a way that was never really repeated.

Adrenaline
06-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Fun fact: I've never played through a Mega Man game.

MCBanjoMike
06-26-2008, 01:14 PM
Be a man and learn the Yellow Devil's patterns. It's not actually that tough if you practice a little, I swear. Play the PS2 MM Collection version -- the pause trick doesn't work, so you have to make do with skill.

Oh man, I'm actually in the middle of my Mega Marathon, having played through 1-4 via the PS2 Anniversary Collection since last weekend. I can also totally confirm that your statement is untrue, because last week was the first time in my life that I ever managed to beat Mega Man without using the pause trick (YES) and the previous, cheat-filled attempt was also made using the PS2 Anniversary Collection.

But you should do it the hard way, it was absolutely the most satisfaction I've gotten out of a game in months. Take that, Yellow Devil!

Matchstick
06-26-2008, 01:18 PM
I know I've played a bunch of these, but I'm not sure which. I picked up the Anniversary collection and have actually been looking at it regularly in the last few weeks thinking, "I need to go back and play these."

I'm not steeped in all the lore/tricks/etc., so I wouldn't know "the pause trick" if you did it right in front of me.

TheSL
06-26-2008, 01:22 PM

Oh, I've done it before, but its just really tedious without the crutch of energy tanks to fall back on like in Megaman 3. I think the only version of the fight that you can't use the pause trick on is the Powered Up remake, though.

Kishi
06-26-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm not steeped in all the lore/tricks/etc., so I wouldn't know "the pause trick" if you did it right in front of me.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/mspm0221.png

Loki
06-26-2008, 01:24 PM
I've never beat 1 either. Something about it terrifies me. I think it dates back to when I rented the game as a kid and couldn't get past those first conveyers on Guts Man's stage. And of course, being a kid, I didn't try any other stages. So I was stuck, just a few screens in, until the rental was up.

Adrenaline
06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/mspm0221.png

I hope you posted that purely for its educational value.

MCBanjoMike
06-26-2008, 01:28 PM
I've never beat 1 either. Something about it terrifies me. I think it dates back to when I rented the game as a kid and couldn't get past those first conveyers on Guts Man's stage. And of course, being a kid, I didn't try any other stages. So I was stuck, just a few screens in, until the rental was up.

It definitely has a creepier vibe than the rest of the series, barring the Doc Robot stages of 3. The colors are flatter, the stages are emptier and the enemies are less cute. There's something weird and lonely about it - especially the Dr. Wily stages. The fact that it's pretty damn hard at times doesn't really help thing, either. That aside, I still think it's a pretty good game and I prefer it to the flavorless latter NES games, I think. I'll take unsettling over bland any day!

Red Hedgehog
06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Guys, Mega Man 9. I have to replay the entire series now. AND SO DO YOU!

Sorry, I did my series playthrough 3 years ago and don't need to relive all of that again. It did finally make me realize how awesome Mega Man 2 was. Before playing through all 8 I had only played 1 and 2 and actually like 1 more than 2. I'm not sure what it was, but the second was the charm with me for Mega Man 2 and I fell in love and realized how great it was.

No, but I did go through it without using the pause trick. The disappearing blocks are my vote for hardest part of this game.

Kishi
06-26-2008, 01:29 PM
I hope you posted that purely for its educational value.

Not purely, no. Otherwise, I would have just explained it myself.

Adrenaline
06-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Referring to the guy as Proto Man recolor is kinda funny, I guess.

TheSL
06-26-2008, 01:37 PM
The disappearing blocks are my vote for hardest part of this game.

Not exactly the greatest image quality(I snagged it from a youtube video since I'm at work), but this is my vote:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/wilystage1.png

MCBanjoMike
06-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Not exactly the greatest image quality(I snagged it from a youtube video since I'm at work), but this is my vote:

Yeah, I wonder if Hedgehog is thinking of the disappearing blocks in MM2? The ones in MM don't have any consequence for failure, unless there are some in Wily's Castle that I'm forgetting about. Either way, those floating/shooting pedestals are bastards, either in Wily's Castle or Ice Man's stage. I may have made the effort to beat Yellow Devil legitimately, but as soon as I saw those I was reaching for the Magnet Beam.

Parish
06-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Hey guys, by the way: This is a fine place to trade your old Powered Up levels, if you'd like.

Tomm Guycot
06-26-2008, 02:10 PM
The spike room w/ the heliplatforms is easy: use the magnet beam.

here's the big secret that Megaman games forgot: USING ITEMS AND WEAPONS IN THE STAGE ITSELF IS A-OK!!!!

I can't stress this enough.

TheSL
06-26-2008, 02:14 PM

Except that you need all the magnet beam you can get to get through the next screen:

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/wilystage1-2.png

MCBanjoMike
06-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Except that you need all the magnet beam you can get to get through the next screen:

No you don't. Seriously, I did this like 4 days ago, and there's plenty of Magnet Beam to go around, as long as you use it well. Heck, I even missed a shot or two and still managed.

TheSL
06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I really suck at using the MB in cramped spaces; I honestly have an easier time getting through the platform/spike room without it then I do here without full MB.

ringworm
06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Beating this game at all was one of my greatest pre-teen gaming achievements.

Parish
06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
here's the big secret that Megaman games forgot: USING ITEMS AND WEAPONS IN THE STAGE ITSELF IS A-OK!!!!
That's because they fell into the Mega Buster trap. Take away the ability to charge a shot and suddenly those extra weapons become important.

Egarwaen
06-26-2008, 03:56 PM
Dammit.

Now I need to buy a copy of MM Anniversary Collection.

Thanks, Parish. ;)

Sanagi
06-26-2008, 04:20 PM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/wilystage1.png
If not for the magnet beam, I would agree, because those guys always seem to knock you off if you don't land directly in the center of the platform.

Zef
06-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Can you win without a continue?

Only if I start with Guts-Man. Damn you, conveyor belts! Damn you! http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-argh.gif

Hey guys, by the way: This is a fine place to trade your old Powered Up levels, if you'd like.

Yayz! I don't own MM1 in any other version, and I was about to ask. Do both styles count, or only the classic one?

I can't stress this enough.

Well, if I play Powered Up mode, there is no Magnet Beam. That means I got past the new, and extended, conveyor belts on raw skill, bay-bee! Because even Time-Man's weapon doesn't work in that section --it slows down the platforms, yes, but that includes their "off" mode, which then lasts a LOT longer than Mega-Man's jump does.

wumpwoast
06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Sweet. Let me boot up my copy of the PC version. ha ha ha

Last time I played, I made it through the first Wily level's rotor platforms without obtaining the Magnet Beam from Elec Man's stage. Then I climb up the ladder, sat there and thought for a moment, and thought "... fuck."

So I took a screenshot from afterwards and snuck it into my writing (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/MegaMan).

kungfukid
06-26-2008, 06:04 PM
Looks like Parish read my mind! You are truly scary sir.

Eusis
06-26-2008, 06:19 PM
Using this as an excuse to play through Powered up at last! Actually, I've really been neglecting my PSP too much, only using it to play music on. About time I start getting some gaming milage out of it.

`Hrist
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
In, it's about time that I finally conquer Mega Man 1. Oh, and I have the Anniversary Collection too, so I can't abuse the Elec Beam trick.

wumpwoast
06-26-2008, 07:37 PM
So what's more fun? Beating Elec Man with pistol or playing the original PC Mega Man?

Yeah, Fun Club and all -- but thinking about pain can be fun too, right?

alexb
06-27-2008, 12:01 AM
Well, this is as good a time as any to actually beat the first game. I've tackled all the others in the original series but the Yellow Devil has always been an impenetrable wall for me.

I was going to play this on my XBox copy of Mega Man Anniversary Collection, but upon putting it in, I realized, hey, the sound effects are off, and hey, the aspect ratio's all fucked up and unfiltered so it's ugly, and hey, I've got a ROM of this, so why am I bothering with second rate?

Seriously, guys, Mega Man Anniversary Collection is crap.

`Hrist
06-27-2008, 12:27 AM
Seriously, guys, Mega Man Anniversary Collection is crap.

It's great on the PS2, at least from my experience.

alexb
06-27-2008, 01:16 AM
Probably because the NES games in the collection were all actually based on the Rockman Perfect Works series of PS rereleases, not simply emulations of the NES ROMs. So what I was running is a port of a port. But maybe they could use the PS1 hardware in the PS2 for your version. It may be that you're one step closer to the source, which may make the difference. Still, I hear that fire and jump are reversed in the PS and GC editions. That would drive me nuts.

I didn't like the lag that resulted from the XBox's analog buttons, so I used an adapter I had and attached a PS2 pad to it. Unfortunately, the lag was worse because the PS2 pad has analog buttons too. And then it hit me to use a PS1 pad. So I'm feeling clever at the moment.

At any rate, I'm ready for Wily Stage 1. That yellow bastard is getting his. Maybe.

edit: Okay. Beat him. Finally. I did use save states to learn the pattern, but I did the fight from start to finish and I didn't use the pause trick. A compromise.

Egarwaen
06-27-2008, 09:18 AM
... Well, I tried Mega Man 1 as a ROM last night, and Gutsman's platforms have again left me humbled and broken.

What the hell, Capcom?

Still going to buy the MMAC, though.

Kishi
06-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Still, I hear that fire and jump are reversed in the PS and GC editions. That would drive me nuts.

Just GC.

alexb
06-27-2008, 11:57 AM
Okay, I beat it. Everything was cake after the Yellow Devil. And it was so nice of Dr. Wily to put that yashichi right before the boss gauntlet. Next, I think I'll rediscover the mystery of Dr. Wily.

Matchstick
06-27-2008, 12:33 PM
My 2-d skills are ridiculously atrophied, it seems. I started with Cutman and it took me quite a few tries to get through. There's no way I'm going to be able to do this without continuing. I'm playing the Anniversary Collection on my PS3 and I have no issues, but I'm not so intimately familiar that I'd notice minor hitches, I guess.

Zef
06-27-2008, 12:35 PM
OK, I've had this question for a long time: is there ANY WAY at all to destroy the Cut Blades spit out of machinery in Cut Man's level? Or are they just indestructible hazards (in Powered Up)?

Kishi
06-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Can you win without a continue?

Ha ha. I went through three continues on Ice Man's stage alone. Sometimes those flying guys simply don't register as platforms, and Mega Man falls right through them.

I tried out the Yellow Devil exactly twice before I lost interest and stopped playing--not because of the big guy himself, but because you have to go through this bullshit (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=204176#post204176) again after every death just to get back to him. This was on the Anniversary Collection, though, so maybe I'll try again after some intensive emulator training.

Parish
06-27-2008, 01:27 PM
I find the best way to play the game is to start on Guts Man's stage. If you can get past the dropping platforms near the beginning without the Magnet Beam, your platform timing is in synch and you should be fine for the rest of the game. (If you're worried Guts Man will be too tough with the standard hand cannon, you could also start with Bomb Man -- the easiest fight in the game.)

Pombar
06-27-2008, 01:32 PM
Ice Man's disappearing ice blocks with deadly-moving-spike-death below has caused me to stumble here. I may be a competitor for the world's most imprecise jumper in 2D platformers.

Red Hedgehog
06-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I wonder if Hedgehog is thinking of the disappearing blocks in MM2? The ones in MM don't have any consequence for failure, unless there are some in Wily's Castle that I'm forgetting about. Either way, those floating/shooting pedestals are bastards, either in Wily's Castle or Ice Man's stage. I may have made the effort to beat Yellow Devil legitimately, but as soon as I saw those I was reaching for the Magnet Beam.

No, definitely 1. As a child, the disappearing blocks in Ice Man's stage gave me nightmares and they were still incredibly frustrating as an adult. Rock Monster (without the pause trick) was also hard. I have no memories of the floating/shooting pedestals so either I just used the magnet beam or I'm a savant.

I find the best way to play the game is to start on Guts Man's stage. If you can get past the dropping platforms near the beginning without the Magnet Beam, your platform timing is in synch and you should be fine for the rest of the game. (If you're worried Guts Man will be too tough with the standard hand cannon, you could also start with Bomb Man -- the easiest fight in the game.)

Yes! Gutsman first is the right way to play Mega Man.

Ethan
06-27-2008, 02:11 PM
I prefer Bomb Man > Guts Man first. But I've never beaten Yellow Devil so what do I know?

Kishi
06-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I always start with Cut Man, just because the music in his stage sounds like a "first stage" track.

`Hrist
06-28-2008, 05:49 PM
I start with Bombman because I'm a wimp.

People use the magnet beam for the dropping platforms? Oh, I get it, you use it to just scoot across... weird.

Anyway, got to Elecman last night. Will probably see how much further I can get today.

Ghost from Spelunker
06-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Kay, I went through Mega Man without cheating tonight. But I had to continue a few times, like always (I should add I've owned and beaten MM many times before this Fun Club).

After playing MM I tried MM6 and MM7 (which I've beaten before) just for comparison. One difference I noticed was that when I got to a boss in MM, I never had more than half my mega life. In MM6&7 my life was always full at a boss, and I beat him on the first try.

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to get the 1-up in Ice Man's level? I jump off the platform, I hold left and hug the wall, but I don't land on the platform.

Eusis
06-29-2008, 02:02 AM
MM:PU's annoying me with the new style Wily bosses. Ridiculously small area to avoid the Yellow Devil's moving blocks due to the newly added whirlwind to worry about, and the second boss seems to be unavoidable without sufficient damage prior. Am I just doing it wrong?

Ruik
06-29-2008, 02:37 AM
The Yellow Devil was felled earlier today. Celebrations burst out in the streets across the city as this terror was forever silenced. The world salutes your noble actions, Blue Bomber.

`Hrist
06-29-2008, 07:12 PM
Whoot, finally beat the Yellow Devil today. And legitimately! No save states for me, it was done on Anniversary Collection. For a followup act, I beat the clone and the bubble machine. I don't know what's next. It's excitin'!

Matchstick
06-29-2008, 09:06 PM
I was out of town this weekend, so I didn't get any time in until this afternoon. I've felled Bombman and Cutman. I was going after Gutsman, but the aforementioned platforming took some time to get used to. I think my expectations have been skewed by playing more recent platformers that have character momentum. The other issue I'm running into is one that I've always had which is that when I get to a boss fight, I try to get through it as fast as possible, because I figure that the longer I'm there the less chance I'll have to get through. What this means in this game, though, is that I get whomped on quite a bit before I get it through my head to not just try to bull my way through and actually figure out when to dodge, move around, etc.

Morbid Coffee
06-30-2008, 04:07 PM
So I've decided to take the challenge one step further, and try to beat this game in a single life. Maybe I just like pain? Either way, I've found that most of my errors haven't come from the Gutsman platforms or dissapearing blocks.

In fact, my worst enemy in this game is losing the momentum of your jump if an item lands on you in mid-air (Those penguins in Iceman's level being the worst offenders), or if you pause the game. I'm hoping whoever decided that was a good game design was either fired or shot.

`Hrist
06-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Whoo! I did it! I finally beat Mega Man after 15 years of trying. Yellow Devil doesn't seem so tough once you get the pattern down. =)

MCBanjoMike
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
So I've decided to take the challenge one step further, and try to beat this game in a single life. Maybe I just like pain? Either way, I've found that most of my errors haven't come from the Gutsman platforms or dissapearing blocks.

In fact, my worst enemy in this game is losing the momentum of your jump if an item lands on you in mid-air (Those penguins in Iceman's level being the worst offenders), or if you pause the game. I'm hoping whoever decided that was a good game design was either fired or shot.

You'll notice that the tendency to lose momentum decreases as the games go on - in the first it's terrible, in the second it is a source of annoying, by the third I think it has no effect at all. So don't worry, retribution was enacted.

Red Hedgehog
06-30-2008, 07:08 PM
Either way, I've found that most of my errors haven't come from the Gutsman platforms or dissapearing blocks.

Yes! Fuck the disappearing blocks in MM1.

Matchstick
06-30-2008, 07:20 PM
I've now beaten everybody but Iceman and Fireman. Shameful admission: I don't think I knew that each guy had some particular weakness(es). I'm pretty sure I tried to take down the various men with the standard weapon.

`Hrist
06-30-2008, 07:26 PM
That's not shameful. That's awesome.

Zef
06-30-2008, 07:30 PM
And it's also required in Megaman Powered Up: The only way to "rescue" Light's Robot Masters, and turn them into playable characters, is to defeat them using the Arm Cannon, and only the Arm Cannon. If you even scratch them with anything else, you destroy them.

MCBanjoMike
06-30-2008, 09:07 PM
And it's also required in Megaman Powered Up: The only way to "rescue" Light's Robot Masters, and turn them into playable characters, is to defeat them using the Arm Cannon, and only the Arm Cannon. If you even scratch them with anything else, you destroy them.

But...but...Elec Man? Are there energy tanks in Powered Up?

Zef
06-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Elec Man's tough, especially because his mid-health special attack is difficult to dodge, but I had a harder time with Cut Man (giant, homing, boomerang shears that travel along the wall and floor) and Oil Man (his oil sled attack is very damaging if you get stuck in his sticky oil shots.)

No E-Tanks and no Magnet Beam make the whole thing a lot harder, though. Haven't reached the Yellow Devil (no Elec Beam pause trick) yet, but I'm looking forward to that.

Edit: OK, picked up PU again (last I played, I had made it to Wily Stage 1.) OH MY GOD the Yellow Devil is insane in this version. You have about a third of the space in which to move, and the Elec Beam by itself does a single bar of damage to it. Reaching it is no picnic, either.

Edit 2: Whew! Turns out, it's weak to the Fire Storm this time around. But considering the size of the super-deformed sprites, you still have very little room to move in, and it's virtually impossible to tell which piece will fly next unless you memorize the pattern. ProTip: ignore the sound, which will likely trip you up if you're like me and react to sound before visuals. Instead, watch ONLY the bottom two rows, since those are the only ones that can hit you. This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeVOSNCSPMc&NR=1) should demonstrate nicely.

Eusis
06-30-2008, 10:43 PM
I beat PU earlier today, may try the original MM on the AC before going on to 2/3. A bunch of little design decisions wound up really bugging me, but this came out more in the Wily stages. What happened to the energy items between refights, didn't every other Megaman that did this drop them off for me? Ah well, it was still a pretty good remake, though I feel they made it a bit TOO cutesy. The last stages had a certain grim atmosphere to them in the original release but the cartoony effects and the Yellow Devil making those dumb sounds really steals its thunder.

Speaking of it: I played far enough to reach Wily Stage 1 in Old Style and it's worse. Since the New Style battle was designed for wide screen they just chop off the top of the screen and you still have to deal with the same small area in which to dodge, but it's still treated like the old in regards to weaknesses and all so you can't stun it with fire.

Parish
06-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Here's the secret to earning Elecman as a playable character in Powered Up: Beat him on easy mode. Once you've unlocked him, he's unlocked across all difficulty levels, and offing him with just the hand cannon isn't so daunting on easy.

I think this is correct! This is how I remember it, at least.

Ghost from Spelunker
07-01-2008, 12:58 AM
So why are some of the sound effects in Mega Man on the Anniversary Collection different than my American NES version? Is the Anniversary Collection using the Japanese version? Is the emulation for MM bad, but good on every other game? Or is it because I'm playing teh Gmaecub versson? How does Mega Man sound on the PS2 collection?

Thinaran
07-01-2008, 02:32 AM
I always did it in this order:

Cut Man -> Guts Man -> Elec Man -> Ice Man -> Fire Man -> Bomb Man

Reason is weaknesses and the fact that Hyper Bomb is a pretty boring weapon. Both Cut Man and Guts Man are pretty easy with the standard buster.

Guts Man is the obvious starting point, but as has been mentioned, Cut Man's stage just feels like a level 1.

Balrog
07-01-2008, 06:12 AM
I left my copy of MMPU in my PSP and it's scratched all to hell and won't play :(

Makkara
07-01-2008, 06:30 AM
I left my copy of MMPU in my PSP and it's scratched all to hell and won't play :(

Wait, what? PSPs scratch UMDs now?

Balrog
07-01-2008, 06:57 AM
Wait, what? PSPs scratch UMDs now?
I bought it brand new and it's either been in its case or in the PSP, so the PSP must have scratched it. I had a neat level on there too :(

estragon
07-01-2008, 07:22 AM

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/wilystage1-2.png

So, I went through this today, and this argument is sort of moot becuase the energy capsules on the previous screen regenerate. So, you can refill not only your magnet beam but also anything else you want but climing up and down the ladder a few times.

(Although, frankly, I think it's actually easier to get across the platforms that shot at you without the magnet beam anyway, myself.)

Loki
07-01-2008, 04:37 PM
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST Ice Man's level is hard.

I can't believe they gave this to little kids.

Eusis
07-01-2008, 06:18 PM

It makes MM:PU kinda jarring, they've got a presentation that goes further, but the game is still pretty damn hard. Though if I was able to beat this when I was 7 or 8 I guess they can't be too hard for kids.

I beat MM1 on the AC and this is really ugly on a PS3 emulating a PS2 due to the scanlines. It's enough that I'd definitely rebuy each of the games on the VC if they'd just release them in the US. I feel it's kind of a mixed bag on what MM:PU changed and didn't change though, it's nice to have refilled weapon ammo after dying but SHRINKING those platforms for Ice Man's stage doesn't work out in Old Style.

Red Hedgehog
07-01-2008, 09:42 PM

Confession: I was never able to get past Ice Man's stage as a kid.

Granted, I only ever played Mega Man like twice at a friend's house, but it still rankled me.

Matchstick
07-01-2008, 10:05 PM
Confession: I was never able to get past Ice Man's stage as a kid.

I'm having a problem getting past Ice Man's stage right now. I can make it to the floating platforms with the eyes, but I keep getting screwed somewhere along the way. The furthest I got was two platforms past the ice pillar. :(

Loki
07-02-2008, 08:44 AM
Even using the Magnet Beem it took me ten or so continues to get past it. One attempt I chose not to bother with the platforms at all and just use the magnet beem. As I was working my way across the platforms got higher and higher until I was above the top margin of the screen... and died.

That's right. Going beyond the top of the screen kills use just as if you fell past the bottom of the screen.