PDA

View Full Version : FC 24c: Mega Man 3

Parish
06-26-2008, 12:52 PM
Best Mega Man ever or a dull letdown after MM2? Debate it tiresomely here!

Mega Man 3
Capcom | Action | NES & c. | 1990

I guess if you really want you can play the PC Mega Man 3, but the only person you're hurting is yourself.

Brickroad
06-26-2008, 01:04 PM
MM3 is the bestest. The series just wasn't complete until Rush and the slide. All I ever want to do when I replay MM1/2 is slide everywhere.

nunix
06-26-2008, 01:07 PM
MM3 has my favourite title screen/intro music. Top Man and Snake Man are a little goofy, but the rest of 'em are fairly cool.

MCBanjoMike
06-26-2008, 01:24 PM
After reading various debates on this very forum, I managed to convince myself that Mega Man 2 was a tighter game with more heart and Mega Man 3 was the polished, blockbuster sequel that made everything fancy without reducing it to rote repetition (like 4-6 did). After playing them back to back this week I stand by that assertion, but would like to add that I had a lot more fun going through 3 this time than I did with 2. Unfortunately, aside from Magnet Man and Snake Man, the music in 3 is definitely less good than that of 2. But not by that much!

Loki
06-26-2008, 01:33 PM
God I love me some Magnet Man theme (http://zebox.com/cgi-bin/artists/dl.cgi?projectx_-_Project_X_-_03_-_Magnet_Man_and_Proto_Man.m3u+qp+m3).

Sanagi
06-26-2008, 04:41 PM
Mega Man 3 belongs to the set of games which are not as good as Mega Man 2 - a set which includes every other video game ever made.

SilentSnake
06-26-2008, 05:12 PM
OMIGOSH MY NES STILL WORKS GUYS! Seriously, Mega Man 3 was the jewel of my limited collection back when I was but 6 or 7 and didn't know a good game from a bad one. This was the only Mega Man (pre-X) game I've ever owned and played til the end, so it holds a special place in my heart. Not to mention some of the stages' music. Spark Man's and Gemini Man's comes to mind directly. Also, Needle Man's stage and Top Man's were some of my favorite levels in the game. This is gonna be FUN.

side note: man I have to push the buttons on this NES controler hard to get them to work...

Niku
06-26-2008, 05:35 PM
I just replayed MM3 a few months ago and while I could knock it out again, I'm busy with EO2. So I'll just pop in here to say that I love the Doc Robot, and I'm glad that was one idea they didn't run into the ground. It gives MM3 its own special unique place in my heart beyond the levels/robot masters (because there is so much else to mega man games i know)

SilentSnake
06-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Well Magnet Man and Hard Man have bitten the dust. Gosh it is as fun as I remember. I was actually out of the Magnet weapon going into the Hard Man boss, but I just killed him with the regular gun and a spare tank. Magnet Man's stage reminded me that I saw those appearing platforms recently. A couple of months ago I downloaded I Wanna Be The Guy, a very evil platformer, and those same platforms were used to nefarious effect. The Mega Man ones are easy now in comparison. Onward to Spark Man!

Morbid Coffee
06-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Would I be wrong to say my fondest memories of this game come from having a second player pick up controller two, and mess around with the directional pad "cheats" while somebody else was tryng to play the game? I'm a little upset that, despite trying it on every subsequent Megaman game, none of them let the second player manipulate the game.

It's also worth mentioning that I still have the Protoman theme stuck in my head to this very day. Then again, almost all the music tracks in Megaman 3 were great.

MCBanjoMike
06-26-2008, 09:32 PM
So where should I take my discussion of later Mega Man games? I'm at the beginning of Wily's castle in Mega Man V and I have thoughts to share!

Parish
06-26-2008, 09:54 PM
We'll do the later games next week!!

Wolfgang
06-26-2008, 10:02 PM
This is the first one I played through, so in my mind it's the best. A friend and I would videotape playthroughs so we could create strategies. Kids are really stupid(ly awesome).

shivam
06-26-2008, 10:10 PM
i loved MM3. Hate hardman with a passion though. stupid bees and spikes.

top man song is rad, though.

Zef
06-26-2008, 10:17 PM
I have very, very fond memories of plowing through the Doc Robot stages while on vacation at my grandmother's house in Veracruz. To this day, I can't think of the Giant Met from Needle Man Redux without mentally visualizing it on that tiny little black and white TV, which made it all the more impressive when I went home and played it in full color.

Also, the "Wily Stage 2" music is my third favorite in the series, after "Wily Stage 1" from MM2 and Flash Man. It's somber and dramatic, and could've been ripped out of a mid-80s anime series. Sadly, for the life of me I can't really remember what the actual Level 2 of Wily's castle was like, since I always blasted straight through with Rush Jet.

`Hrist
06-26-2008, 11:04 PM
This game had Top Man. It was the beginning of the end.

SlimJimm
06-26-2008, 11:16 PM
These games are too damn hard.

mopinks
06-26-2008, 11:57 PM
This game had Top Man. It was the beginning of the end.

well, there's nowhere to go but down when you set the bar that high.

Loki
06-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Tom Man's cool in a Jack from Will and Grace kind of way.

Willm
06-27-2008, 05:34 AM
The Mega Man 9 announcement is really weird for me, since a few weeks ago I listened to the old Mega Man retronauts again and decided to go out and buy both the Anniversary Collection and X Collection for the PS2. I think both look quite good on my HDTV via the 60 GB PS3. Yay backwards compatibiliy!

Anyway, Mega Man 3 has always been my favorite game in the series, even though Mega Man 2 was my first. I loved how you had to re-fight the bosses from MM2 but with the new MM3 weapons. Personally, MM3 has always felt more substantial than the other games in the original series, but without being bloated with too many additions like the later games in the series. The game was also the first that added characters that I associate with Mega Man to this day, like Rush and Proto Man. I thought the stages were really cool too, like the ones for Spark Man and Gemini Man.

It needs to be mentioned, though, that I've always had an emotional attachment to MM3, which probably contributes significantly to my MM3 love. When I was 7, I saved up money from doing chores around the block to buy it, and it was the first brand new video game I ever purchased with my own money. Ah, memories...

DANoWAR
06-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Tomm Man's cool in a Jack from Will and Grace kind of way.

Freudian slip?

Tomm Guycot
06-27-2008, 09:18 AM
dude, Tomm Man will wreck your shit.

Loki
06-27-2008, 09:38 AM
Whoop! I ment Top. I guess subconsciously I just want to see Tomm spin and dance around.

SilentSnake
06-27-2008, 09:47 AM
I was wrong. It wasn't Gemini Man's stage music that was so rad, it was Shadow Man's.

Tavir
06-27-2008, 11:10 AM
I've played this game so many times, I think I can successfully participate in a GFC by playing it in my head. Nevertheless, I never pass up a chance to play NES Mega Man games, so I'll be doing it for reals too. :)

And for my money's worth, this is the better game between 2 and 3. Sure, it doesn't have the fresh-faced innocence of MM2, but it looks and sounds so good and the level design for the robot masters is fantastic, especially when you revisit them in the Doc Robot stages and see how much has changed. Admittedly, though, the level design drops in quality after you get to Wily's castle. Most of them are not really challenging at all, except level 2.

Still, best Mega Man EVAR.

Kishi
06-27-2008, 11:13 AM
CONTROVERSY: Magnet Man's theme? Not that great.

SilentSnake
06-27-2008, 11:15 AM

I...semi-concur.

Brickroad
06-27-2008, 11:16 AM

I will cut you.

Seriously though, Snake Man's music is better. But then, Snake Man's everything is better.

Like, the MM3 designers were all, "Okay Spark Man is going to live in a factory of some kind. And Hard Man lives in a mountain. Shadow Man is in some kind of refinery. We'll put Needle Man in a construction site and Gemini Man is some kind of colorful cave." "What about Snake Man?" "...uh, BIZARRE TWISTED SNAKETASTIC FUN MAZE!"

SilentSnake
06-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Seriously though, Snake Man's music is better. But then, Snake Man's everything is better.

Like, the MM3 designers were all, "Okay Spark Man is going to live in a factory of some kind. And Hard Man lives in a mountain. Shadow Man is in some kind of refinery. We'll put Needle Man in a construction site and Gemini Man is some kind of colorful cave." "What about Snake Man?" "...uh, BIZARRE TWISTED SNAKETASTIC FUN MAZE!"

This is absolute truth. Snake Man's stage is fantastically goofy. It comes second only to Top Man's for me. (I always thought that the music and scenery of Top Man's stage indicated that he lived in a baseball stadium.) Also, it was always my impression that Gemini Man's stage was on the Moon.

Tavir
06-27-2008, 11:21 AM
I...semi-concur.

As do I. As blasphemous as it may sound, I like Hard Man and Shadow Man's theme more than Magnet Man's.

MCBanjoMike
06-27-2008, 11:22 AM

This just in: Kishi hates freedom.

Kishi
06-27-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm the assassin of Magnet Man's theme.

Also, I do count it against the game how mismatched some of the stages are with their resident bosses. What's Gemini Man doing in a series of organic caves full of tadpole eggs? Why does Top Man hang out in some kind of giant terrarium, and what do ninjas have to do with combination smelting plants and planetariums?

MCBanjoMike
06-27-2008, 11:29 AM
I'm the assassin of Magnet Man's theme.

Also, I do count it against the game how mismatched some of the stages are with their resident bosses. What's Gemini Man doing in a series of organic caves full of tadpole eggs? Why does Top Man hang out in some kind of giant terrarium, and what do ninjas have to do with combination smelting plants and planetariums?

Ninjas can go anywhere. Everything about Top Man, I will admit, is pretty damn indefensible - however, at the time it was still pretty novel to have a totally ridiculous Robot Master. Now that I think about it, though, it's definitely one of the low points of the game. Well, except for the robot fleas that spring out of the robot cats.

NEW TOPIC: Top Man - is he the easiest Robot Master to beat in the whole series using the arm cannon?

Brickroad
06-27-2008, 11:32 AM
NEW TOPIC: Top Man - is he the easiest Robot Master to beat in the whole series using the arm cannon?

No, this distinct honor would go to Toad Man, on account he's the only one I can kill reliably without taking damage. Seriously, you lock him into a pattern from which he can never, ever escape.

Tavir
06-27-2008, 11:32 AM

I believe that honor should go to Toad Man from MM4. As long as you keep shooting him, he will not even attempt to attack you, but instead just jump at you, which is easily avoided.

Top Man is the easiest of the MM3 bosses though, hands down.

Edit: Damn you BrickRooooooooooad!

Kishi
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Somehow, though, Toad Man turns out to be less embarrassing than Top Man. The former is just so pathetic that he generates a kind of "lovable loser" appeal, like Big Bird.

MCBanjoMike
06-27-2008, 11:35 AM
No, this distinct honor would go to Toad Man, on account he's the only one I can kill reliably without taking damage. Seriously, you lock him into a pattern from which he can never, ever escape.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of according the honor to Bright Man myself, but I wanted to see what people had to say on the subject. But I did believe it to be Top Man for quite some time, back when I had only played the first 3 games.

djSyndrome
06-27-2008, 11:38 AM
i loved MM3. Hate hardman with a passion though. stupid bees and spikes.

You can get rid of the bees by running backwards to move them off the screen.

Brickroad
06-27-2008, 11:40 AM
You can get rid of the bees by running backwards to move them off the screen.

The best part about this glitch is that in the MMAC version Protoman actually tells you to do it on the hints screen.

"Mega Man, this part is easy if you exploit programming errors!"

Tomm Guycot
06-27-2008, 11:46 AM
"Mega Man, this part is easy if you exploit programming errors!"

They are robots.

Zef
06-27-2008, 12:00 PM

I always thought Gemini was somewhere in the Arctic, what with the ice platforms and the giant ice-shaving penguins. It also goes well with Flash-Man being in the Doc Robot version.

Shadow Man... uh... I got nothing. Ninjas like it hot?

Ninjas can go anywhere. Everything about Top Man, I will admit, is pretty damn indefensible - however, at the time it was still pretty novel to have a totally ridiculous Robot Master. Now that I think about it, though, it's definitely one of the low points of the game. Well, except for the robot fleas that spring out of the robot cats.

Fleas? I always thought they were rubber mice. The enemies in Top Man's level all look like some sort of toy.

Somehow, though, Toad Man turns out to be less embarrassing than Top Man. The former is just so pathetic that he generates a kind of "lovable loser" appeal, like Big Bird.

Aw, come on. Top Man at least has decent attacks, tossing up some tops to converge on you at high-speed, while he himself spins and charges you. although it's easy to get the timing, you still have to dodge and watch for his charge. Toad Man, on the other hand, is a creepy pervert who can only flash at you and wiggle his hips in a disturbing manner.

shivam
06-27-2008, 12:06 PM
my one sadness with mm3 is that you couldnt get the weapons from the mm2 soul bosses. i always thought that was a missed opportunity.

Eirikr
06-27-2008, 01:01 PM

So right.

And I'm reposting this ranking I made of each of the robot masters' theme songs, because hey, I want some input. I still think some of them are negligible.

1. Bubble Man
2. Snake Man
3. Flash Man
4. Cut Man
5. Wood Man
6. Slash Man
7. Napalm Man
8. Air Man
9. Crash Man
10. Bright Man
11. Blizzard Man
12. Shadow Man
13. Knight Man

MID
14. Metal Man
15. Skull Man
16. Elec Man
17. Quick Man
18. Guts Man
19. Tomahawk Man
20. Junk Man
21. Shade Man
22. Fire Man
23. Freeze Man
24. Tengu Man
25. Cloud Man
26. Grenade Man
27. Burst Man
28. Gravity Man
29. Frost Man
30. Pharaoh Man
31. Bomb Man
32. Magnet Man
33. Stone Man
34. Dust Man
35. Gyro Man
36. Plant Man
37. Astro Man
38. Aqua Man
39. Search Man
40. Dive Man
41. Toad Man
42. Spark Man
43. Drill Man
44. Heat Man
45. Flame Man
46. Wind Man
47. Hard Man
48. Needle Man
49. Wave Man
50. Sword Man
51. Charge Man
52. Yamato Man

BOTTOM
53. Ice Man
54. Gemini Man
55. Top Man
56. Star Man
57. Crystal Man
58. Turbo Man
59. Centaur Man
60. Ring Man
61. Spring Man
62. Clown Man

Egarwaen
06-27-2008, 01:02 PM
The Mega Man 3 bosses are in such odd areas because they supposedly went berserk when supervising resource-gathering operations for the construction of Gamma.

This still doesn't quite explain Snake Man or Top Man, but the others are... Uh... As sensible as Mega Man ever gets?

Tanto
06-27-2008, 01:07 PM
Metal Man's music is definitely top-tier. I also have a strange fondness for Yamato Man's music, but that may simply be the result of Vurez (http://www.vurez.com)'s remix of it.

Mazian
06-27-2008, 01:30 PM
Needle Man's music is far too low on that list.

djSyndrome
06-27-2008, 01:34 PM
Someone forgot the excellent second theme from Dr. Cossack's castle (http://youtube.com/watch?v=31Ws8Bo08RA).

Eirikr
06-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Epic failure for not including castle musics, including the excellent second theme from Dr. Cossack's castle (http://youtube.com/watch?v=31Ws8Bo08RA).

+573 for linking probably my single favorite piece of Mega Man music, but I kept it strictly to robot master themes. I also judged them only by their original sound. For example, Top Man might be decent arranged, but it's kinda annoying done on an NES.

But dammit, fine. I'll do a ranking of the castle themes. Here's a preview:

1. Dr. Wily Stage 1&2 (MM2)

shivam
06-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Wily stage is easily the top for me, followed immediately by the password screen song from MM2, the title theme from MM3, Skullman, Dustman, Topman, and so forth.

Sanagi
06-27-2008, 02:05 PM
my one sadness with mm3 is that you couldnt get the weapons from the mm2 soul bosses. i always thought that was a missed opportunity.
I have always

ALWAYS

wanted a collection of the first six Mega Man games where you work through the entire series, keeping all the weapons and items as you go.

Eirikr
06-27-2008, 02:06 PM
I have always

ALWAYS

wanted a collection of the first six Mega Man games where you work through the entire series, keeping all the weapons and items as you go.

Then you might like the Wily Wars.

http://www.mmhp.net/GameHints/MMWW.html

It's not quite what you want, but the closest it's gotten.

Tavir
06-27-2008, 02:10 PM
I don't really remember the music from MM8 at all, so I can't comment on Clown Man, but Spring Man's music at 2nd worst? Surely, you jest, there are MUCH worse music in MM7 alone, let alone in the series. My pick for worst song in the series is probably Centaur Man. Also, I'd say Napalm Man and Bright Man are way too high on the list

I made a top 10 list of stage music from the Mega Man games a while ago. Revisited it, revised it a bit, and added 5 more for kicks. Casting aside my fear of turning this thread into a list-posting frenzy, here is my top 15:

1. Snake Man
2. Shadow Man
3. Bubble Man
4. MM2 Wily 1&2
5. Metal Man
6. Cloud Man
7. Stone Man
8. MM3 Wily 1&2
9. Flash Man
10. Tomahawk Man
11. MM4 Cossack 3&4
12. Air Man
13. MM5 Wily
14. Hard Man
15. Plant Man

Eirikr
06-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Trust me, Clown Man's theme is annoying. Spring Man's theme is terribly generic and doesn't have the "Mega Man feel" of melodic power rock. Most of the themes in my middle bracket I judged to have the Mega Man feel, but also tend to sound more derivative the lower you go. Bright Man is an unusual choice for one so high, but it's one I've found myself listening to over and over again. Napalm Man is also the best out of the robot masters from 5 with a fast and catchy piece, but I recognize it as a "controversial" choice within the top bracket.

Also, the list is not a list of my personal favorites, it's my first attempt at doing an objective ranking of the robot master themes.

Mazian
06-27-2008, 02:53 PM
I can never remember the best weapons to use on Doc Robot. It's like the part of my brain associated with defeating Air Man has an 8-character limit, and LEAF-SHL takes up all of it.

Mr. Sensible
06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Needle Man's music is far too low on that list.

Eirikr
06-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Then suggest in an academic fashion (with sources, APA format) why it should be higher and give a number.

shivam
06-27-2008, 03:19 PM
how long did it take you guys to figure out the top spin?

Eirikr
06-27-2008, 03:49 PM
The castle themes, judged. The numbers in the names refer to how the tracks appear sequentially in their games' respective castles. I realized two things by doing this: Mega Man 4 has awesome castle music, and all the Mega Mans since 7 have awful castle music (with two great exceptions).

1. Dr. Wily 1 (MM2) – I think we can all agree here, right?
2. Dr. Cossack 2 (MM4) – To me, this track epitomizes an emotion of sadness that encapsulates the Mega Man sound…
3. Dr. Wily 2 (MM3) - …which continues here, cuing aurally that Mega Man's fight is futile…
4. Dr. Wily 1 (MM1) - …and also here, which might be the most depressing sounding track in the series.
5. King (R&F) – Rockman and Forte's soundtrack is hit or miss with mostly misses, but the hits are out of the park, like the theme of King's castle.
6. Dr. Wily 2 (MM4) – Mega Man 4 has some great castle music, and its final one is pretty damn heavy (and bonus points for the explosion sound at the end of its loop).
7. Dr. Wily (MM5) – MM5 and 6 only give one theme per castle, but it's made up for Wily's in 5 being pretty rockin'.
8. Dr. Wily 1 (MM4) – It starts off a bit understated, but quickly picks up and doesn't let go.
9. Dr. Wily 1 (MM8) – The standout in 8. That wouldn't be saying much, but this is still a great tune.

MID
10. Proto Man (MM5) – I was so surprised that evil Proto Man turned out to be a doppelganger, but not so surprised his stages would have a kinda rad tune.
11. Mr. X (MM6) – This is a pretty bouncy and light melody, perfectly fitting for the joke that is Mega Man 6.
12. Dr. Cossack 1 (MM4) – The least impressive castle theme from 4, but considering it's still above average, it shows how good its competition is.
13. Dr. Wily 2 (MM2) – Really repetitive, but still ominous and urgent sounding.
14. Dr. Wily 1 (MM3) - A better than average tune, but a bit high-pitched and slightly repetitive to start.
15. Dr. Wily 2 (MM1) – This track has more atmosphere than melody, but it's still pretty iconic, just like the rest of the music in Mega Man 1.
16. Dr. Wily 2 (MM8) – This is about as mediocre as Mega Man music gets! Some semblance of melody, but not an ounce of sparkle anywhere to be found.
17. Dr. Wily (MM6) – A pretty weak-sounding melody in comparison to its contemporaries, but also not particularly offensive.
18. Dr. Wily 3 (MM3) - Not particularly great to listen to, but works well in creating some tension in-game for the final stages.
19. Dr. Wily 4 (MM7) – This may be the least awful-sounding Wily tune from 7.
20. Dr. Wily 1 (MM7) – They get points for trying, but that's all I'd give this one.

BOTTOM
21. Dr. Wily 3 (MM8) – This track reminds me of all the boring people I've known in my life.
22. Dr. Wily (R&F) – Thank goodness you get this dull track for only one stage.
23. Dr. Wily 4 (MM8) – This is just the pre-robot master battle theme arranged. Pass.
24. Dr. Wily 2 (MM7) – This would be bad in any game, but it's especially terrible in light of the Mega Man musical legacy.
25. Dr. Wily 3 (MM7) – This just sounds like a rip-off of Burst Man's theme, therefore for plagiarizing, it gets an automatic F.

ReyVGM
06-27-2008, 10:53 PM
Holy shit!
How could I have not noticed this before? My favorite Megaman and I notice this today?

After you beat the 8 robot masters, you have to beat the 8 robots from MM2 and after that you get the stage select screen and in the middle you select the "Break Man" level.

For the longest time I thought that they just got Protoman's name wrong or something (since what you fight looks and moves "exactly" like Protoman), but looking at screenshots today I noticed that it is indeed not Protoman, but the same Break Man from Megaman 1 and 2 (he rides the jumping robot machines). His mouth is covered (Protoman's is uncovered) in both the stage select screen and in the level itself.

I did not notice that until today. Shame on me.

cartman414
06-27-2008, 11:00 PM
4. Dr. Wily 1 (MM1) - …and also here, which might be the most depressing sounding track in the series.

Magnet Man trumps it there IMO.

taosterman
06-28-2008, 09:54 AM
"What about Snake Man?" "...uh, BIZARRE TWISTED SNAKETASTIC FUN MAZE!"

That's where a huge difference is apparent from MM3 and the later games. Every interesting theme the designers could muster in MM6 just amounted to a bunch of boxy rooms. Hell, they took a Robot Master with a Greek mythology theme and somehow managed to make the level completely rote. MM3 is tops (man).

Kishi
06-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Holy shit!
How could I have not noticed this before? My favorite Megaman and I notice this today?

After you beat the 8 robot masters, you have to beat the 8 robots from MM2 and after that you get the stage select screen and in the middle you select the "Break Man" level.

For the longest time I thought that they just got Protoman's name wrong or something (since what you fight looks and moves "exactly" like Protoman), but looking at screenshots today I noticed that it is indeed not Protoman, but the same Break Man from Megaman 1 and 2 (he rides the jumping robot machines). His mouth is covered (Protoman's is uncovered) in both the stage select screen and in the level itself.

I did not notice that until today. Shame on me.

Double shame for getting it wrong.

The guy with the shield who dogs Mega Man throughout the series is called Sniper Joe. Break Man is Proto Man's alias when he disguises himself as one of them. There are even unused sprites in the ROM that show him masking/unmasking.

ReyVGM
06-28-2008, 01:59 PM
I see. That was never explained to me!
Kishi to the rescue.

Still, I never noticed that Protoman was even wearing a disguise hehe.

juanfrugalj
06-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I tend to rank Megaman music as a tie between 2 and 3, and then everything else. This does not cover the first two X games.

The Mega Man 3 bosses are in such odd areas because they supposedly went berserk when supervising resource-gathering operations for the construction of Gamma.

This still doesn't quite explain Snake Man or Top Man, but the others are... Uh... As sensible as Mega Man ever gets?

Biofuels. Duh.

Egarwaen
06-28-2008, 03:04 PM
Biofuels. Duh.

Biofuels made from snakes?

To make this whole thing even stranger, aren't Snake Man and Top Man's weapons the most effective things to use against Gamma? Srsly, wtf?

Tavir
06-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Hell, they took a Robot Master with a Greek mythology theme and somehow managed to make the level completely rote.

What are you talking about, they had Greek columns and...and....

(yeah, I got nothin)

SilentSnake
06-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Hooray! I beat the game! Observations ahoy:

-There is a glitch in the Snake Man stage where it will slip you off the rising clouds for no reason.
-Shadow Man stage AND music are both awesome.
-Ditto for Needle Man.
-Spark Man was always the first stage I went to in previous playthroughs. Such memories...
-I like how in the first Needle Man stage, the giant Hard Hats are shut away with you wondering what the heck they were. In the second one, you found out. Such an awesome touch.
-The Dr. Wily bosses were always more interesting to me than the robo-masters because they demanded entirely different things.
-The first Wily tank was as hard as the second is weak sauce. And why did it have to be Top Man's weapon that did him in?

I think I am now going to search out Mega Man Powered Up for my next Mega Memories fest.

juanfrugalj
06-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Biofuels made from snakes?

To make this whole thing even stranger, aren't Snake Man and Top Man's weapons the most effective things to use against Gamma? Srsly, wtf?

Not snakes, plants. I did bold Top Man's name.

Their weapons are the only effective against Gamma because it symbolizes the folly of war and that the smallest individual can overcome the greatest obstacle with a hardened spirit. Or something.

Egarwaen
06-28-2008, 10:20 PM
Their weapons are the only effective against Gamma because it symbolizes the folly of war and that the smallest individual can overcome the greatest obstacle with a hardened spirit. Or something.

Wait, so you're saying Mega Man 3 is, like, some kind of proto-Metal Gear Solid?

... I can totally see that.

Tavir
06-28-2008, 10:32 PM
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!(MAN)

Ample Vigour
06-28-2008, 11:00 PM
SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!(MAN)

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/fonkaygarry/Breakmugshot.jpgHello, dear brother!

Rosencrantz
06-28-2008, 11:16 PM
I can't believe you guys don't like the Dr. Cossack Stage 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyf9Ns764jA) music more. It's not just my favorite track from MM4, but one of my favorite Megaman tracks period.

Sanagi
06-29-2008, 04:17 AM
-There is a glitch in the Snake Man stage where it will slip you off the rising clouds for no reason.
I make it a rule to get Rush Jet before then so I can skip that part, because it really is an obnoxious bug. That said, generally if you stand right in the middle of the platform as the cloud rises it won't knock you off.

Loki
06-29-2008, 10:40 AM
You guys are all crazy. Replaying the game this time left me with two impressions:

1. Snake Man's theme is vastly overrated.

2. Magnet Man's theme is the best ever.

ReyVGM
06-29-2008, 03:21 PM
Even though I love all the MM3 tunes, Magnet Man's theme is the superior one.

Tavir
06-29-2008, 03:45 PM
Snake Man's theme is vastly overrated.

Them's fightin words!

Seriously, as jaunty a tune as Magnet Man's is, it jumps around too much in its musical passages to really have a single part of it identified as a central theme, so to me it feels strangely unfocused and rushed. Also, the way it loops back to itself is really quite awkward. It kinda starts a new musical section, but doesn't quite seem to finish itself, and then loops back into halfway through the first section. The whole song, as fun as it is, is kinda jolting to me, and it feels like they couldn't find a good way to loop the song, so they were just like "eh, whatever".

Just my $0.02.

Brickroad
06-29-2008, 03:55 PM
Just went through and killed all the robot masters with the Arm Cannon. I figured Shadow Man would give me the most trouble, but no, it was Gemini Man.

Seriously, that dude killed me like a whole bunch of times. Shadow Man wasn't easy, but compared to Gemini Man he was a noob.

Eirikr
06-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Snake Man's theme versus Magnet Man's theme is the new mouth/nose debate.

GO SNAKE MAN

Zef
06-29-2008, 04:34 PM
GO SNAKE MAN

Magnet Man might have been the first MM3 stage theme I ever heard, but, as soon as I listened to Snake Man, I knew which would be my favorite for decades to come.

SilentSnake
06-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Magnet Man's music is too jittery for it's own good. Shadow Man's rules all. The end. (Please don't hurt me Magnet people!)

Swordian
06-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Snake Man's theme versus Magnet Man's theme is the new mouth/nose debate.

The DOKAKA version of Snake Man's theme wins.

Tomm Guycot
06-30-2008, 02:21 PM
The Doc Robot stages of this game are ridiculous. It'd be so perfect without them, but it just feels like Megaman: The Lost Levels to me. Way too hard.

Then you get to a Master, don't know his weakness, experiment, die, and have to start ALL OVER? Come on.

Brickroad
06-30-2008, 02:27 PM
The Doc Robot stages of this game are ridiculous. It'd be so perfect without them, but it just feels like Megaman: The Lost Levels to me. Way too hard.

Then you get to a Master, don't know his weakness, experiment, die, and have to start ALL OVER? Come on.

Nah, the Doc Robot stages aren't any harder than typical Wily levels from other games, especially consdering MM3 comes with Rush Jet to zip you past any parts you really suck at.

I'm hoping MM9 brings back Doc Robot, and gives us kind of a "best of" series of boss battles.

Eirikr
06-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Isn't it theoretically possible to get stuck in the Doc Robot Gemini Man stage? After you beat Flash Man, there's a ledge you need the Rush Coil or Jet to reach.

What if it's 1991, and you used both up, because you suck? You also didn't have access to Nintendo Power and the 2nd controller jump. What would you say the next day at lunch?

Brickroad
06-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Isn't it theoretically possible to get stuck in the Doc Robot Gemini Man stage? After you beat Flash Man, there's a ledge you need the Rush Coil or Jet to reach.

What if it's 1991, and you used both up, because you suck? You also didn't have access to Nintendo Power and the 2nd controller jump. What would you say the next day at lunch?

You'd say "Man, I'm glad I've been writing down my passwords!"

That's a good catch though, I guess you'd have to reset the game. You're in a similar situation in Doc Robot Needle Man if you run out of RJ, but you can just throw yourself into the hole over and over.

Mr. Sensible
06-30-2008, 02:38 PM

This is where I stopped playing and never finished MM3, so I am inclined to agree.

But those stages still remain.

Mocking me.

shivam
06-30-2008, 03:18 PM
any good MM3 speedruns out there?

Ruik
06-30-2008, 03:28 PM
Is it just me, or do the Doc Robots hit harder than their MM2 counterparts?

Swordian
06-30-2008, 03:42 PM

Yes, this is MM3's biggest flaw. What I like to do is play until I get to the Doc Robot stages and then reset the game and enter a password to go past them. Doing so makes MM3 a much more enjoyable experience.

shivam
06-30-2008, 03:45 PM
man, i loved the doc robot stages. the first time i saw them, i was like HOLEEEE SHIT! and it blew my mind. and i still have nostalgic fondness for em.

Zef
06-30-2008, 03:57 PM
man, i loved the doc robot stages. the first time i saw them, i was like HOLEEEE SHIT! and it blew my mind. and i still have nostalgic fondness for em.

The nostalgic memories I have of MM3 at my grandmother's house pretty much revolve around the Doc Gemini and Doc Needle stages. Doc Robot is LOVE.

Tomm Guycot
06-30-2008, 04:05 PM
Anyone who wants to tell me Doc Wood's weakness wins a prize.

Rosencrantz
06-30-2008, 04:13 PM

I usually use Needle Man's weapon, but I think the Search Snakes do decent damage too, if I'm remembering correctly.

estragon
06-30-2008, 04:22 PM

I feel strongly that Doc Wood is the hardest "robot master" boss in MM1-3.

What a bastard.

And, yeah, Needle is probably your best bet, although it's really not that great.

Don't hesitate to use e-tanks though, becuase the bosses in Wily's castle in this game are super easy, and you will surely end up maxing out on them anyway.

(Wily, especially, really goes down like a punk in this game. Just 4 spark shots for his first form? Seriously?)

Eirikr
06-30-2008, 04:27 PM
A friend of mine beat Doc Wood Man with just the Arm Cannon and no Energy Tanks - once. Took him forever.

MCBanjoMike
06-30-2008, 09:04 PM
Nah, the Doc Robot stages aren't any harder than typical Wily levels from other games, especially consdering MM3 comes with Rush Jet to zip you past any parts you really suck at.

I'm hoping MM9 brings back Doc Robot, and gives us kind of a "best of" series of boss battles.

So...Mega Man 1, 2 and 3?

I am in the camp that thinks the Doc Robot stages are wykked-awesome. I particularly like the fact that you continue getting new passwords as you beat them - my recent playthrough of Mega Man 5 (finished 6 minutes ago) was a pain because I had to do all of Proto Man's castle twice - there's no new password once you've cleared it to skip straight to Wily. Bleargh.

Torgo
06-30-2008, 09:15 PM
That was my least favorite aspect of 4-6. I mean, if you want me to redo a whole castle again, fine, but don't make me redo them both if halfway through Wily's and something comes up and I gotta turn it off.

I've only finish 4 and 5 one time each because of this.

Zef
06-30-2008, 10:13 PM
HOLY CRAP the Triple Clones in Wily's Castle are vulnerable to the Search Snake! Very vulnerable!

How come I never knew this?!

Tomm Guycot
06-30-2008, 11:49 PM
HOLY CRAP the Triple Clones in Wily's Castle are vulnerable to the Search Snake! Very vulnerable!

I always used Needle cause that's what Nintendo Power said. Curse you, Nintendo Power!!!

shivam
07-01-2008, 12:09 AM
i used gemini, because i love the bouncy lasers.

Ghost from Spelunker
07-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Sorry Magnet Man Army, I prefer the Needle song. I like to think Needle Man has done wonders for mankind's attitude towards needles at the doctor's office.

Memory to the thread: I beat Dr. Wily during my Christmas break while home alone, and the springy neck creeped me out.
Why did Wily have to use a rokurokubi?

Willm
07-01-2008, 05:19 AM

I discovered the same thing on my latest playthrough! I used to use the Needle as well (again, because of the aforementioned Nintendo Power) but as soon as the fight started, it just made sense to use the Search Snake. I couldn't believe how easy they made the fight.

And I love the Doc Robot levels. They are probably the reason why MM3 is my favorite game in the series. Sure, you can get stuck in them if you've used up your Rush powers, but you could say the same thing about the later levels in Mega Man 2. Stupid Item 1...

Brickroad
07-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Here are the Doc Robot weaknesses, as best my crazy head recollects:

Metal Man -> Magnet Missile
Quick Man -> Gemini Laser/Search Snake (and an E Tank, probly!)
Air Man -> Spark Shock
Crash Man -> Hard Knuckle (hit him at point-blank range)
Flash Man -> Needle Cannon
Bubble Man -> Rush Marine/Rush Jet (aim directly at his forehead to freeze him in place)
Wood Man -> Needle Cannon
Heat Man -> Shadow Blade (try Top Spin if you're feeling gutsy)

You're welcome.

Kishi
07-01-2008, 07:22 AM
http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/fonkaygarry/Breakmugshot.jpgHello, dear brother!

I get the brother angle, but that single eye just makes me think:

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l241/fonkaygarry/Breakmugshot.jpg I've been waiting for this pain!

Tomm Guycot
07-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Beat the game this morning.

Finally beat Wood Man by using Rush Coil to leap over his leaves... took a bit to get the angle of dodging the falling ones, but doing that and switching to Snake in midair worked out okay.

ReyVGM
07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Single eye? I thought he was wearing shades or something.

Kishi
07-01-2008, 11:12 AM
It's just the one. You can see it sweep from side to side in Mega Man 8.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/rm8sniperjoesheet.gif

Tomm Guycot
07-01-2008, 11:21 AM
Do you just have sprite sheets lying around?

Kishi
07-01-2008, 11:25 AM
When it comes to Mega Man, I don't need to, because other people on the Internet have them in ample supply (http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/Classic).

Egarwaen
07-01-2008, 01:06 PM

Except isn't that Proto Man in disguise as one of those guys?

... I'll admit that that bit of Mega Man 3's plot never made a damn bit of sense to me.

Kishi
07-01-2008, 01:15 PM
Except isn't that Proto Man in disguise as one of those guys?

Yeah. Proto Man has two eyes (presumably), but he's disguised as a one-eyed guy.

... I'll admit that that bit of Mega Man 3's plot never made a damn bit of sense to me.

I think the implication is that Proto Man was just testing Mega Man in all those fights. I'm not sure why he fights in a disguise after several unmasked encounters, though.

Makkara
07-01-2008, 01:31 PM

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/grokyou/rm8sniperjoesheet.gif

Fracking toaster!

Egarwaen
07-01-2008, 01:59 PM
I think the implication is that Proto Man was just testing Mega Man in all those fights. I'm not sure why he fights in a disguise after several unmasked encounters, though.

That's what confused me. You fight him unmasked a bunch of times, then you beat Doc Robot and have to fight him again, only then he's wearing a mask. And then he shows up and saves you at the end, only he's blue.

Little me was never quite sure what the hell was up with him.

Kishi
07-01-2008, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty sure he's blue at the end because he's supposed to be cast in shadow. He's just enigmatic like that.

MCBanjoMike
07-03-2008, 08:37 AM
It seems like the first 3 Mega Man threads are dying down, can we get the next few soon? I'm already halfway through MM6!

TheSL
07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
It seems like the first 3 Mega Man threads are dying down, can we get the next few soon? I'm already halfway through MM6!

Only 1/2 way through? I beat MM6 in one sitting when I got it back in the day. I don't think it took more than 2 or 3 hours total.

MCBanjoMike
07-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Only 1/2 way through? I beat MM6 in one sitting when I got it back in the day. I don't think it took more than 2 or 3 hours total.

I haven't have more than 2 hours of free time ALL WEEK.

(Well, all at once, I mean)

TheSL
07-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Ok, I'll excuse you for that. I think I was like 12 or 13 when I did it, so I had a lot more free time.

Brickroad
07-03-2008, 09:17 AM
I've beaten MM3 in one sitting twice since this FC started.

I mean, once each in two separate sittings. Not twice in one long sitting.

Although I've done that too, just not this week.

I've learned that Shadow Blades are almost as abusable as Metal Blades. Almost. The shorter range and higher energy cost (2/1 instead of 3/1) balance them quite nicely, but you can't use them 100% of the time and most bosses aren't weak to them.

Matchstick
07-03-2008, 09:54 AM
I guess this is where I get left behind. :( I'm not a MM expert like you guys. I played up to, I think, 4 long, long ago as rentals, but I've never gone back to them. I'm still on MM1. :(