PDA

View Full Version : The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie

Sean
06-04-2007, 08:56 PM
I picked this up a while back not having known that Hugh "Dr. House" Laurie was an author. I'm still reading it, actually, but it's very funny and well-plotted. Anyone familiar with the book? If you like crime/spy thrillers and don't mind a possibly overly-witty narrator (why would you?), you might check it out.

JCDenton
06-04-2007, 11:52 PM
Sounds interesting, I might have to look into it.

Healy
06-04-2007, 11:58 PM
My sister has that book. I've tried reading it, but never got past that "arm-breaking" sequence at the very beginning.

sraymonds
06-05-2007, 04:05 AM
I picked it up when House first started, and I found it well-written and funny. It's a shame he hasn't that much else until now. I checked the Amazon, and it says that The Paper Soldier should be out in September.

Sean
06-05-2007, 08:27 AM
I saw that, too. Nothing but good news, I say. I'm guessing with his fairly busy film career and the no doubt insane TV filming schedule he's found little time to finish novels. In a way, even though he's a brilliant actor, it's too bad since he's also such a good writer. Who knows what might have been? However, I wouldn't want to do without "Fry and Laurie" and "House." And he's probably got a few more books in him, and time.

sraymonds
06-05-2007, 09:00 AM
I vaguely remember news about them wanting to make the Gun Seller into a movie, but that was several years ago. And when is Stephen Fry gonna guest on House?

Sean
06-05-2007, 12:49 PM
That's a fantastic question. I happened to read the other day that he's so consumed with other projects (especially in the UK) that he hasn't been able to work out a schedule to film for "House." A pity, too, because I'm sure it'd be great. I keep waiting for the Sherlock Holmes episode so that House can slip back into the British accent; that might throw a few viewers for a loop as there are still plenty I run into myself who don't realize he isn't American. I guess I'll have to settle for the fact that his best friend is named "Wilson" (close enough), and he lives at 221 (B, I presume).

Edit: Oh, and then there's the whole House/Holmes thing... haha.... nevermind...

Stephen
06-05-2007, 05:42 PM
I just picked this up at the library about a week ago, because I need a break from the novels on that Time list (http://www.time.com/time/2005/100books/the_complete_list.html) I posted on the old Talking Time. Once I finish up Margart Atwood's The Blind Assassin, I'll dig in. Glad that everyone here seems to like it.