PDA

View Full Version : Bubba Ho-tep

alexb
06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Given Talking Time's return from the grave, I figure this is an appropriate inaugural post. So, I watched this one again last night. Bubba Ho-tep. You seen it? If not, it's a movie about Elvis Presley and "JFK" fighting a mummy in a rest home. Bruce Campbell plays Elvis. What am I saying? Of course you've heard of it. Old news. But I can't get over how poignant they were able to make things, given how absolutely moronic the set up is. What are your opinions on this piece of cinematic achievement?

VsRobot
06-02-2007, 09:13 PM
Bruce Campbell does an in-character commentary track on the DVD.

I haven't seen the movie since I got an advance copy of the DVD to preview, but I remember liking it. Ossie Davis as JFK was actually cooler, to me, than Campbell as Elvis.

specific_chris
06-02-2007, 09:56 PM
I really liked the film! I haven't seen The King's commentary though, I guess I can catch that any time, since I own the DVD and all.

Torgo
06-02-2007, 10:10 PM
You guys are lying. This so-called 'film' is clearly not real.

SkywardShadow
06-02-2007, 10:42 PM
I watched it purely for Campbell, and ended up enjoying it, though it's not something I could watch very often.

chocogaz
06-02-2007, 11:14 PM
This film is real, and quite good.

sraymonds
06-03-2007, 05:20 AM
I had to drive far into the theatre district to watch the film, and I must say, it was well worth the trip. I keep forgetting to buy it on DVD though.

Deadguy2322
06-03-2007, 06:53 AM
I think credit for the emotional quaility of the film definitely goes to Don Coscarelli, the director. All of his work has an often-shocking ability to make you feel and believe the emotion of the scene. If you haven't seen his other work, check out the Phantasm series, especially the first for genuine emotion and the second one for an oppressive sense of dread. The beastmaster is his other notable film, easily found on clearance at Wal-Mart these days.

Red Hedgehog
06-03-2007, 08:29 AM
This film was the story of an old man struggling to stay relevant in the world that About Schmidt should have been. It's fun - a solid good movie.

djSyndrome
06-03-2007, 11:52 AM
This is the first film I've ever seen that truly made me say "I want those two hours of my life back. With interest."

alexb
06-03-2007, 11:54 AM
What can I say? I thought it was great and hope they somehow make that sequel they teased at the end of this one.

Deadguy2322
06-03-2007, 11:59 AM
What can I say? I thought it was great and hope they somehow make that sequel they teased at the end of this one.

That would be cool, but considering Coscarelli has been known to go a decade between entries in a series, I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

marcalan
06-04-2007, 08:29 AM
Bubba Nosferatu and the Curse of the She-Vampires (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0457295/)

Looks like it may be a reality sooner than we think.

hank_tree
06-04-2007, 10:52 AM
Until a shrinkwrapped sequel is in my greasy fingers, I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Calorie Mate
06-04-2007, 10:42 PM
I <3 Bruce Campbell, but haven't gotten around to seeing this yet. My best friend raves about it, though, so maybe this thread reminding me will be the kick in the pants I need.

Maggie
06-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I haven't seen all of it yet. Just the first half, and it reminded me of those movies that used to come on TNT and USA in the middle of the night in the late nineties, like Toxic Avenger or Crusader or whatever he was, and Tammy and the T-Rex (argh).

Not that it's a bad vibe to give off, I just have to really be in the mood. Scented candles and things.