PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck is Wrong with Me?!!? OR Sonic and the Secret Rings

Healy
06-05-2007, 02:16 AM
Now, as it happened, I was reading Anime News Network review of Sonic and the Secret Rings (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/nintendo-wii/sonic-and-the-secret-rings), which, in case you couldn't tell from the link (or if it's not working for some reason), is generally negative. I couldn't help but chortle at some of the observations they made. Wii controls unnescarry? Why, that's what makes Secret Rings so distinctive! Controls too cumbersome? In parts, yes, but generally controlling is quite smooth. Missions too repetitve? Certainly, but the fact that you don't have to complete all of them right away adds to their charm.

With this in mind, I felt that there must be relief on the forums. For a game I felt was, if not completely good, then far better than a lot of the crap out there, there must be someone who liked it enough to argue with the generally negative review.

Then I clicked the link to the forums.

Well, that was a wake-up call. The only positive opinions held seemed to be mostly regretful, saying "Well, yeah the game sucked but uh it coud've been kinda good ya know?" I was mortified. I feared I was losing my good taste in games.

So I decided to lay the question before you: Sonic and the Secret Rings; Good or Bad? And if bad, does that mean I'm losing my taste in games?

BEAT
06-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Well as anyone who pays attention here knows, I'm an old Diehard sonic fan from way back. Personally, I think Sonic and the Secret rings is a massive step in the right direction. Excellent graphics, Cutscenes that make me occasionally smile, fun control scheme, ect.

Yeah, it's got some problems. The tilting the wiimote backwards to back up immediately springs to mind, but I think it's definately worth playing.

Now if They'd just make us a 2D sonic on a non-handheld, All would be right with the world.

hank_tree
06-05-2007, 06:44 AM
I thought it was reaaly good.Well not really good but very good.Except for that level where you have to put the dinosaur eggs in the correct nests.That took me at least an hour.

Makkara
06-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Now if They'd just make us a 2D Castlevania on a non-handheld, All would be right with the world.

Can you do a "fix'd" on the new board?

Oh, hey, you can. Not going to happen for either one of us, though, I'm afraid.

sraymonds
06-05-2007, 07:44 AM
Who cares about whether or not other people like the game; you like the game, so enjoy it.

Torgo
06-05-2007, 07:49 AM
Why is AnimeNewsNetwork writing game reviews?

(I mean, fellow nerdery aside.)

sfried
06-05-2007, 09:07 AM
It's AnimeNewsNetwork. They're a bunch of Sony fanboys. You can tell just by how they list every VA that has worked on a videogame if it's PS2 or not.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 09:34 AM
Why is AnimeNewsNetwork writing game reviews?

(I mean, fellow nerdery aside.)

Everyone tries to write game reviews nowadays. Even newspapers with writers who probably have never played the games that they review are reviewing games today.

Healy
06-05-2007, 10:00 AM
Thanks guys. It's nice to know I still have some taste in me.

Looking back on my earlier reaction, I guess the thing that upset me the most was that, for a game that seems to gather a lot of hate, Secret Rings is a pretty good, if unpolished, game. There just doesn't seem to be much logic behind all the hate for it.

JCDenton
06-05-2007, 10:16 AM
People seem to be frustrated that it isn't as good as the Genesis titles were when they came out, which is stupid. I enjoyed the little I played of the Secret Rings, though it took a bit to get used to.

Kolbe
06-05-2007, 11:43 AM
I haven't played the game, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a bad game, as long as you can detect its issues (unlike "OMG FFVII TEH BEST" people). Those who review games are still people like you or me. Its only their opinion.

So if you enjoyed it, keep doing so. Who cares about what anyone says?

alexb
06-05-2007, 12:43 PM
It would have been better without the Wii controls. Having to jam forward at just the right velocity to attack got old. Plus, the soundtrack. Oh, god, the soundtrack. And I say this as someone who bought the Sonic Adventure 2 soundtrack and loved it.

hank_tree
06-05-2007, 03:17 PM
I love the music in Sonic and the Secret Rings.It was so bad it was awesome.I think the controls were fine except jump should have been a button rather than a motion.

Calorie Mate
06-05-2007, 03:29 PM
I personally haven't played Sonic and the Secret Rings, but even if it does suck, I think everyone's entitled to have personal favorites that are bad games. Not to name names, but I know certain people here (*cough* Tomm Guycot) have purchased (as in, paid actual money) Urban Champion on the Virtual Console, fully knowing what they were getting into.

Psyael
06-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Just "meh."
It'll make a good blueprint for a great sequel. Hopefully such a sequel abandons this Rareware-style affair with many unlockable quests stretching many run-throughs of the same level.

The Keith
06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
My problem with Sonic and the Secret Rings was that the level structure was highly confusing. Unlocking seemingly random quests that aren't in any kind of sensible order was confusing, but thats relatively minor compared to the horridness of the jump button.

Push the button, and then let go and THEN he jumps? In a game based totally on speed and reflexes, everyones NATURAL reflex is to hit the jump button in order to jump---not to have to let go of it before he jumps. I realize they did it so that you could retap the jump button to make him drop to the ground---but that could still have been the case, or set to a different button.

Make the jump button work like it always has in every game where a character jumps, and make the level progression a little more logical, and the next Wii Sonic game will be great.

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 01:38 PM
Make the jump button work like it always has in every game where a character jumps

Blasphemy!

Remember, the Wii is about INNOVATIVE CONTROL!

Who cares if it breaks gameplay, Nintendo wants their machine to innovate!

Torgo
06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Zelda, WarioWare, Trauma Center, Excitetruck, and Red Steel don't seem all that broken to me. (No, that last one was not a typo.)

Mister Toups
06-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Well. In my humble opinion, anyone who likes this game is suffering from a severe case of lowered expectations.

Torgo
06-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Well, see, that's just the qualifier you see all over the internet. Things along the line of 'Good for a Sonic game' and such. This is part of the reason I haven't bothered. I can think of several things right this second that I don't own and I've never tried that would be more surefire. Why potentially waste my money (you know, more then I already am.)

I got all the Sonic I need in the copies of Sonic Mega Collection Plus and Sonic Adventure sitting on my shelf. (Maybe I'll pick up SA2 one of these days, since it's at least fairly well regarded.)

Chu
06-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I've always wanted to try out Sonic and the Secret Rings because it was regarded as a "Hey, this 3d Sonic game doesn't totally blow!" title. I really loved Sonic games as a wee lass, and all these newer games seem really unappealing and shoddily made. At least Sonic and the Secret Rings has interesting controls? I'll probably rent it once I'm back home for the summer.

And as for Sonic Adventure 2: I only got that game because I had a coupon for a free game at Fry's and I was hypnotized by the cute Chao(s?). It was either that or Bomberman, which I almost went for, but I had no experience with Bomberman other than fumbling around with Bomberman 64 for a few minutes. Anyway, there's just way too much wrong with that game: Knuckles' scavenger hunt missions while he raps, Tails being stuck in a mech for all his levels, Shadow IN GENERAL, loose controls... That game's a turd. That said, I've never played the first Sonic Adventure, although I've heard that it's much better.

Torgo
06-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Bomberman 64, while not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination, is in no way representative of the Bomberman experience. The vs. mode in it is actually pretty fun, but it lacks the fast-paced chaos and fun of the 2d titles (when executed properly).

locit
06-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Sonic Adventure 2 took the direction Adventure was heading and just ran with it until it hit a tree. Shadow the Hedgehog dug under that tree and died in a tunnel collapse. Sonic 06 tried to climb over the tree but found itself pecked to death by the woodpecker of design flaws and the bluebird of false pretenses. Sonic and the Secret Rings? It's back at the fork in the road where Adventure 2 swung that hard left and closed its eyes "real hard" 'cause it so excited. Maybe the sequel will do a better job of handling flow of gameplay and control issues. I could honestly write pages about what's wrong with the series right now, but I digress. I've been reading the Phantom Tollbooth and am stuck in texty metaphor mode.

If you're thinking of picking up Rings it's worth it, but just barely. Sonic fans will probably enjoy the story as it's not needlessly complex, and the Japanese voice acting is decent enough to make the cutscenes actually bearable. The English is... well, it's certainly the default voice track. Yes it is. The control is decent enough as well, though there are a few frustrating bits here and there the first time through some levels.

And Alexb, I'm not sure what you're talking about velocity-wise. You shook the remote forward. It was pretty simple.

And re: SA2, the Sonic/Shadow levels were pretty fun, except for the long rail segments of the latter levels (and said levels in general).

nadia
06-06-2007, 03:28 PM
And I say this as someone who bought the Sonic Adventure 2 soundtrack and loved it.

I have most of Sonic 2's soundtrack on my iPod. It is the ultimate in cock-rock.

Andrew
06-06-2007, 09:04 PM
The controls work *in theory* but in practice it's iffy. Backing up is really a pain in the butt and was poorly concieved. Could they make it so I could, you know, just stop being FORCED TO MOVE AHEAD for a little bit?

There are lots of really annoying pit deaths that are almost impossible to avoid. Shoving the remote forward often didn't activate a second leap because the animation/move was still playing out, and I had to keep shaking it back and forth, hoping it would hit the timing window right.

Forcing you to play a level multiple times over and over with different goals before you finish it is lame, too. Make seperate acts if you want to re-use the same graphics assets.

It was better than Sonic Next Gen. But what isn't?

Psyael
06-07-2007, 01:10 AM
Adventure 2's soundtrack could have benefitted from a little less rock. E-102's theme from the first theme was great chill out music, and so was the lost ruins area, but there's just not much of that in the sequel.