PDA

View Full Version : The Metal Thread \m/

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Calorie Mate
10-28-2008, 11:20 AM
We had one of these on the last Talking Time, but it's time to renew the thread for talking about the most kick-ass music in the world.

demonkoala
10-28-2008, 11:23 AM
There are so many types of metal...aghhh

My favorite band is Primus. They're funk metal...and thus a type of metal.
I think they're...you know...Primus sucks.

TheSL
10-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Albums I've Picked Up Recently
Death Magnetic - Metallica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Magnetic)
I think this band needs no introduction, and we've discussed the album plenty around here.

将軍 (Shogun) - Trivium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shogun_(album))
A band on the fringe of hardcore and heavy metal, Trivium mixes growly/screaming vocals with melodic interludes.

Album I'm Buying Today
Deadache - Lordi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadache)
Finnish monster metal band Lordi's fourth studio album. I honestly didn't even know it was coming out today until I randomly searched for them on that MTV music video site (http://www.mtvmusic.com/) that was linked to today.

Shadax
10-28-2008, 12:17 PM
I like grindcore...

I'll see myself out, thank you.

Evil Dead Junkie
10-28-2008, 12:23 PM
Grindcore tried to destroy the metal. But it was Cast to the ground!!

You can't kill the metal!

In all honesty I'm not as much of a hesher as I used to be. I'll still go to the occasional show, but I really only ever listen to Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, System Of A Down and Rob Zombie.

Matchstick
10-28-2008, 12:31 PM
I didn't really like the last Trivium album and the video I saw from the new one didn't convince me to pick it up.

Yesterday I picked up the following:
The March - Unearth: Not bad so far, but there's no "Giles" here that I've yet heard
Versus - The Haunted: Seems better than The Dead Eye, but maybe not as good as rEVOLVEr
angL - Ihsahn: I'm not generally a fan of Black Metal, but comments I'd seen about this one and some song snippets I checked out convinced me to give it a try.

Later this week I'll be getting the latest release from Enslaved (Vertebrae).

Dizzy
10-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Sometimes I listen to death metal and progressive metal. Now... I don't know.

TheSL
10-28-2008, 12:39 PM
I didn't really like the last Trivium album and the video I saw from the new one didn't convince me to pick it up.

I liked their album before last a lot more than The Crusade. This one is definitely closer to that, but not quite there, in my opinion.

BEAT
10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
I'll still go to the occasional show, but I really only ever listen to Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, System Of A Down and Rob Zombie.Rob Zombie is metal? Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, his music just never struck me as such. Maybe I just fail at musical differentiation.

Anyways, zombie aside, I listen to a fair deal of Metallica, Hoods, Mastodon, Dethklok and AC/DC. Does AC/DC count? I'm a punk first and foremost, so my knowledge of metal is rudimentary at best.

Red Hedgehog
10-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Pffft, metal.

Matchstick
10-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I liked their album before last a lot more than The Crusade. This one is definitely closer to that, but not quite there, in my opinion.

Now that I've checked the name, I can say that we agree on Ascendancy. Stuff like "A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation", "Ascendancy", and "The Deceived" were definitely better than what I found on The Crusade.

By the way, can we bypass the taxonomy bullshit here? I'm happy to talk about whatever aggressive music people want to here without going down a rathole as to whether this or that is "True Metal (tm)" or not.

mr_bungle700
10-28-2008, 01:24 PM
Matchstick has the right idea. I haven't listened to much metal since '94 or so, and all these new distinctions mean nothing to me. What I want to know is:

1) Is it really, really heavy?
2) Is it good music?

That's pretty much what I want out of metal.

Nicholai
10-28-2008, 01:45 PM
I like metal, mainly in such forms as Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, and I also like what most consider to be "hard" hard rock like AC/DC. My biggest problem with metal is that I really don't like bands that featuring a ton of screaming in their songs. An occasional roar or scream is ok, but whole songs filled with screamed out words don't do anything for me. In the end this gives me problems with most modern metal and I tend to stick to the 70s and 80s versions of metal with bands such as Blue Oyster Cult, Zepplin, and Def Leppard which are to most modern metal listeners strictly un-metal.

Calorie Mate
10-28-2008, 01:48 PM
Matchstick has the right idea. I haven't listened to much metal since '94 or so, and all these new distinctions mean nothing to me. What I want to know is:

1) Is it really, really heavy?
2) Is it good music?

That's pretty much what I want out of metal.

This is the #1 rule in my Metal thread. I don't like all of the bands mentioned, but damn if I'm going to bother trying to categorize them. If you think it's metal, you may mention it here.

I like grindcore...

I'll see myself out, thank you.

If you mean something like, say, Aborted, then you are welcome here, sir!

Rob Zombie.

Rob Zombie makes me sad, because he seems like he has really, really awesome taste in music and movies, but hadn't been able to translate that over to making anything good (the sole exception I can think of being The Devil's Rejects).

I'd bet I'd be the same way, though; I love metal, but just because I do doesn't mean I'd be able to write any.

Calorie Mate
10-28-2008, 01:49 PM
Also: I would definitely classify AC/DC as "hard rock" (or, as I like to put it, "dudes playin' fuckin' rock 'n' roll"), but not metal. They still rule, and I'm totally up for discussing them anyway.

Nicholai
10-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Also: I would definitely classify AC/DC as "hard rock" (or, as I like to put it, "dudes playin' fuckin' rock 'n' roll"), but not metal. They still rule, and I'm totally up for discussing them anyway.

With that being said then....what do people think of the new album?

TheSL
10-28-2008, 02:01 PM
I still haven't heard it because I was waiting on some impressions of it first. :/

Calorie Mate
10-28-2008, 02:06 PM
With that being said then....what do people think of the new album?

I haven't heard all of it yet, but it's...y'know, AC/DC. I tend to agree with the "AC/DC was way better with Bon Scott" sentiment, so I probably wouldn't love it anyway, but it seems to me that AC/DC never really put out an awful record, just...the same record. All of their releases sound very similar, and this one is no different. I guess it's one of those gift/curse things.

Paul le Fou
10-28-2008, 02:10 PM
I like metal, mainly in such forms as Metallica, Megadeth, Led Zepplin, Black Sabbath, and I also like what most consider to be "hard" hard rock like AC/DC. My biggest problem with metal is that I really don't like bands that featuring a ton of screaming in their songs. An occasional roar or scream is ok, but whole songs filled with screamed out words don't do anything for me. In the end this gives me problems with most modern metal and I tend to stick to the 70s and 80s versions of metal with bands such as Blue Oyster Cult, Zepplin, and Def Leppard which are to most modern metal listeners strictly un-metal.

A-buuuhhhhhhhh?

Hard rock, sir! I don't know if Blue Oyster Cult even counts as that. I mean, I don't mean to get too hard into taxonomy here, but I think if we rummaged around for a common definition of Metal, we'd be hard-pressed to apply it to Zeppelin.

Nicholai
10-28-2008, 02:20 PM
I haven't heard all of it yet, but it's...y'know, AC/DC. I tend to agree with the "AC/DC was way better with Bon Scott" sentiment, so I probably wouldn't love it anyway, but it seems to me that AC/DC never really put out an awful record, just...the same record. All of their releases sound very similar, and this one is no different. I guess it's one of those gift/curse things.

I probably should have posted my impressions on my previous post, but I'll do it now. I think it is the best they've done since The Razor's Edge, but that isn't saying much. While I don't agree that AC/DC was better with Scott, though they certainly were quite good and I do love Highway to Hell, I'm one of those people who think that Back in Black is one of the finest pure "rock" albums out there. The few tracks I've heard off the new record are good, but I haven't heard the whole thing yet. It reminds me of Death Magnetic in that it seems the band is hitting on what made them great.

Zeroneight
10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
I like Decapitated. Best drummer ever, may he rest in peace.

Calorie Mate
10-28-2008, 02:26 PM
Let There Be Rock is my favorite AC/DC album, if that means anything. I think it's the best collection of "dudes playin' fuckin' rock 'n' roll" that they've produced.

Nicholai
10-28-2008, 02:27 PM
A-buuuhhhhhhhh?

Hard rock, sir! I don't know if Blue Oyster Cult even counts as that. I mean, I don't mean to get too hard into taxonomy here, but I think if we rummaged around for a common definition of Metal, we'd be hard-pressed to apply it to Zeppelin.

A lot of taxonomies (although I won't fight you too much as I do agree most people now don't agree with these) have both these bands as metal and many point to Zeppelin as one of the main starting points of metal. A friend of mine was amazed when his professor in a music class discussed Zeppelin as the precursor, but the professor hit on something that did strike my friend and that is that many bands in that era had sounds that could be radically different from song to song or from album to album and while much of Zeppelin may not be metal there is definitely the beginnings of metal there. Most people prefer to place bands such as Black Sabbath and Deep Purple as the starters because their sound is a much more consistent "heavy" sound.

In other words as some would argue bands such as Led Zeppelin are hard to categorize and influence several genres because unlike (say AC/DC as Calorie Mate said) their sound varied greatly from one album to the next.

Edit: Enough with the taxonomy though as I don't particularly care about putting things in their respective genres (movies are often even worse).

Matchstick
10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
While I don't agree that AC/DC was better with Scott, though they certainly were quite good and I do love Highway to Hell, I'm one of those people who think that Back in Black is one of the finest pure "rock" albums out there.

But would you say that any of the Johnson era stuff comes anywhere close to Back in Black? I usually say "I love the Bon Scott stuff plus Back in Black".

Re: grindcore - at this point, I invoke Godwin's law and say join in the discussion.

Re: vocals - that's a big sticking point for a lot of people. I can totally understand people that can't abide a band because of their vocal stylings, especially since it's a major sticking point for me as well. I will admit, though, that the differentiations can be slippery. I used to say I hated death metal because of the vocal approach, but I've grown to enjoy some bands that would have been put in that bucket before. I can't even claim that it's an issue of whether the vocals are intelligible or not, because with a lot of the bands I enjoy, I barely pay attention to what the lyrics are, and if I did, I probably couldn't understand them anyway.

Those caveats aside, I find the extremely low cookie monster style (cf: Cattle Decapitation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlZ_NFDNmj8) - who I wish I could enjoy, because a band filled with militant vegetarians grunting about cows taking revenge is hilarious) or the screechy black metal style both pretty much unlistenable.

The other thing that will disqualify a band for me is if they play too fast. Let me clarify that, though. I enjoy fast songs, but a lot of metal that came out starting in the 90s and continuing today is played so fast and recorded so poorly that I think it loses all impact. What I enjoy about metal is the rhythm and the impact of the riffs. Songs like "Ride the Lightning", "Piece by Piece", "Refuse/Resist", and "My Last Words" have this in spades. There's a sense of space and syncopation that is lost in something like the Cattle Decapitation song I linked above. Couple what is essentially just 16th notes played at 300bpm while the guitarist moves up and down the neck with irritatingly low-fi production that is all mids and no bottom and you have a recipe for me reaching for the eject button.

I believe hard rock should be fair game here and that Zeppelin is grandfathered in as proto-metal.

Azar
10-28-2008, 02:57 PM
I think metal is one of the very few genres of music I'm not much into. I have a little, I guess. I do like Dream Theater on occasion, though I wouldn't be surprised if metalheads scoff at them for not being hardcore enough or something.

Nicholai
10-28-2008, 03:37 PM
But would you say that any of the Johnson era stuff comes anywhere close to Back in Black? I usually say "I love the Bon Scott stuff plus Back in Black".

Not usually. There are a few non-Back in Black songs I enjoy such as "Who Made Who" and such, but largely it isn't as good as the Scott stuff. I still prefer Back in Black to the earlier stuff.

In terms of vocal styles I just can't abide by endless screaming. There are a ton of bands that people I know enjoy which I simply can't listen to because after a few good riffs and a smashing guitar solo there is some screaming unintelligible stuff I can't understand. I don't ask for lyrical wonders in my metal/hard rock, but I'd at least like to understand what they're saying otherwise I'd have preferred an instrumental piece.

AJR
10-28-2008, 04:45 PM
I heart Devin Townsend. I don't listen to a whole lot of metal these days, but I can always listen to Devin Townsend.

mopinks
10-28-2008, 05:09 PM
the new Dir en grey album comes out exactly two weeks from today (simultaneously US-Japan release, no less)! I preordered it! it was nice to spend $15 on a new album by a Japanese band instead of $30-$40, and this really shitty quality radio rip of one of the new songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OHK50NUIQ) has me optimistic.

also MUCC's goddamned great album Shion is finally coming to the US on November 25th, eight months after the Japanese release. (well, it's been available in the iTunes store since then, but that's not real music.) seriously you guys this is a really really good album, you should maybe buy it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIN7Jlw_hC4)

Stiv
10-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the PURE METAL of Mastodon yet? Their drummer is the most metal of metal drummers. But beyond that I'm mostly into the "classic metal" of the 1980s and early 1990s. Metal these days! I just don't understand those kids.

Also am I going to be ostracized for liking Napalm Death? Come on guys, Scum is a really good album.

shivam
10-28-2008, 05:26 PM
the new Dir en grey album comes out exactly two weeks from today (simultaneously US-Japan release, no less)! I preordered it! it was nice to spend $15 on a new album by a Japanese band instead of $30-$40, and this really shitty quality radio rip of one of the new songs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OHK50NUIQ) has me optimistic.

also MUCC's goddamned great album Shion is finally coming to the US on November 25th, eight months after the Japanese release. (well, it's been available in the iTunes store since then, but that's not real music.) seriously you guys this is a really really good album, you should maybe buy it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIN7Jlw_hC4)

you should come to california and see DEG in concert with me.

mopinks
10-28-2008, 05:46 PM
you should come to california and see DEG in concert with me.

I am strongly considering staying a few extra days when I fly down to see the family for Thanksgiving, since they're playing in L.A. on the 29th. I could probably even sweet talk my parents into paying for the tickets! now that I'm out in the big scary world fending for myself, I don't feel so bad about mooching every once in a while.

I don't know how I could possibly make it to the San Francisco show, though. :[ things are complicated when you don't have a car.

Matchstick
10-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I heart Devin Townsend. I don't listen to a whole lot of metal these days, but I can always listen to Devin Townsend.

Devin Townsend, The Devin Townsend Band, or Strapping Young Lad? Or all of the above. I find that I enjoy The Devin Townsend Band. I have some SYL, but I don't like it as much.

...Dir en grey...MUCC

I've heard snippets here and there from both bands and they didn't do anything for me. Perhaps I haven't heard the right snippets?

(well, it's been available in the iTunes store since then, but that's not real music.)

Why not?

Why hasn't anyone mentioned the PURE METAL of Mastodon yet? Their drummer is the most metal of metal drummers. But beyond that I'm mostly into the "classic metal" of the 1980s and early 1990s. Metal these days! I just don't understand those kids.

Incorrect. He's the most jazz of metal drummers. I find Mastodon to be awesome, but sometimes tiring. I'm anxious awaiting their new album, though, which apparently is done or mostly so, but not coming out until much later.

Also am I going to be ostracized for liking Napalm Death

Not at all....although I don't like them.

AJR
10-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Devin Townsend, The Devin Townsend Band, or Strapping Young Lad? Or all of the above. I find that I enjoy The Devin Townsend Band. I have some SYL, but I don't like it as much.

Devin Townsend (along with the DT Band). I don’t mind the odd SYL song, but I enjoy his other work a lot more.

mopinks
10-28-2008, 07:43 PM
I've heard snippets here and there from both bands and they didn't do anything for me. Perhaps I haven't heard the right snippets?
it's possible! early Dir en grey and modern Dir en grey might as well be two different bands, and MUCC do so much genre bending I don't even know how to explain what kind of band they are.

Why not?
you don't get audiophile cred unless the music is in the shape of a disc. (the exact amount of cred is directly proportional to the size of the disc.)

Thinaran
10-28-2008, 08:11 PM
Coming from the country of True Metal, here are some of my favorite albums:

Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon - One of the most well-known Norwegian black metal bands. Epic black metal and silly costumes. Here's the video of their most well-known song, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5VmZK3FcLw). Their newest album, In Sorte Diaboli, is pretty good too. Check out the vid for the song The Serpentine Offering (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAmMcBQavKE) to see their version of the christening of Norway.

Satyricon - Now, Diabolical - More Norwegian Black Metal. The album starts out "radio friendly" as the youtube commenters remark, but gets progressively harder. Here is the first track of the album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJRlRmq100Y), quite catchy.

The Kovenant - Animatronic - Norwegian band playing "Space Metal" with lots of synth. They are not very big fans of organized religion! I posted a song from them earlier, here's another one, with them totally massacering their guitars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtxhhhUKIDE).

Masterplan - Masterplan - This band likes power ballads. Mostly Swedish band members, but the vocalist, Norwegian Jřrn Lande, sings like an angel. I saw him singing Queen live, it was fantastic. I really love the last track, When Love Comes Close (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q042mPC523U).

The Project Hate MCMXCIX - Armageddon March Eternal: A Symphony of Slit Wrists - Melodic Death Metal with angry growling dude and nice singing lady, with song titles like "The Bleeding Eyes of a Breeding Whore", "I See Nothing But Flesh", and "Resurrected for Massive Torture". And tell me this isn't one of the most metal album covers ever. (http://www.theprojecthate.net/images/albums/armageddon-front.jpg)

I've also become a fan of Pantera lately, Cowboys from Hell and A Vulgar Display of Power really showcase Dimebag's guitar skills. And of course there's Judas Priest, Motörhead, and the German band Arch Enemy. Even if you don't like death metal, look at this video of Arch Enemy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NizPNmUjeDU) if only to be blown away by the vocalist.

SlimJimm
10-28-2008, 08:29 PM
I love Metal, but I havent really found any recent bands that I really wanted to latch on to. Last time I got started on a band was Soilwork, and they were pretty good until Figure Number Five, then it was downhill from there.

So anything new that I should pick up?

Thinaran, I love that Dimmu album you mentioned.

Alastor
10-28-2008, 09:09 PM
I'm more into ballsy modern metal than 80s thrash (much as I enjoy Megadeth or Anthrax). This mostly consists of bands like System of a Down, Killswitch Engage, Protest the Hero, or of course....

Mastodon

Boom.

What really bothers me is this sudden influx of doom "metalcore" (ugh) bullshit. A good example is that awful, awful Visions track from Rock Band 2. There's lots of stuff like that, and it just boggles my sanity. Okay guys, I get it. You have speed. You can play really fucking fast. But can you make your dreck appealing to listen to?

Ganietzsche
10-28-2008, 09:29 PM
(the exact amount of cred is directly proportional to the size of the disc.)

I think 3"s are pretty specialized/audiophile cred-getting. (for those that don't know, they are mini cds that will not work on PCs and can get crushed in Macs)

shivam
10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
it's possible! early Dir en grey and modern Dir en grey might as well be two different bands, and MUCC do so much genre bending I don't even know how to explain what kind of band they are.

i gotta say this bums me out. early DEG is my favorite japanese band of all time, and one of my favorite anywhere bands of all time. post six ugly, and they're a damn mess.

Issun
10-28-2008, 09:54 PM
My biggest problem with metal is that I really don't like bands that featuring a ton of screaming in their songs. An occasional roar or scream is ok, but whole songs filled with screamed out words don't do anything for me.

This. Very much this.

chud_666
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM

Also am I going to be ostracized for liking Napalm Death? Come on guys, Scum is a really good album.

I have Blood Mountain, and love it, ut am currently looking for something that sounds like the song they did yor the Aqua Teen Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsRddk_cb0

If anyone can direct me to something that sounds like that please let me know

Currently listening to:

GWAR - Beyond Hell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m285kyg8x8
Gorgoroth - the one with carving a giant, whatever its called - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q88Ix6q_ho
Stovokor - Klingon metal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRZROp3xVSI
Amon Amarth - With Oden On our Side http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhptP8j-t-M

Matchstick
10-28-2008, 10:40 PM
I have Blood Mountain, and love it, ut am currently looking for something that sounds like the song they did yor the Aqua Teen Movie: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzsRddk_cb0

If anyone can direct me to something that sounds like that please let me know

I have pretty much all of their stuff and don't recall anything with vocals like that. If you have Blood Mountain, you have a decent idea of what their other output sounds like. I'd suggest Leviathan as a follow-up.

Sanagi
10-29-2008, 09:58 AM
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9601/metalmantb1.png (http://imageshack.us)

Calorie Mate
10-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the PURE METAL of Mastodon yet?

Great band. I don't think Leviathon quite lived up to Remission, but Blood Mountain was fantastic and really showed off just how good those guys are with their instruments. Check out Remission, I just listened to it again yesterday and it's awesome.

Not at all, my good man!

Speaking of which, check out this custom Guitar Hero 2 Napalm Death song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkPKbO7b4xs). (Note: I can't actually view youtube at work, but I think this is the right link. If it's only a couple seconds long, it's the right one.) Makes me laugh every time.

Coming from the country of True Metal, here are some of my favorite albums:

Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon - One of the most well-known Norwegian black metal bands. Epic black metal and silly costumes. Here's the video of their most well-known song, Progenies of the Great Apocalypse (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5VmZK3FcLw). Their newest album, In Sorte Diaboli, is pretty good too. Check out the vid for the song The Serpentine Offering (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAmMcBQavKE) to see their version of the christening of Norway.

Satyricon - Now, Diabolical - More Norwegian Black Metal. The album starts out "radio friendly" as the youtube commenters remark, but gets progressively harder. Here is the first track of the album (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJRlRmq100Y), quite catchy.

I don't know the other bands you mentioned, but these two are both great. When black metal is just right, I can't get enough of it. (Personally, I prefer Emperor.) I thik Dimmu takes the "symphonic black metal" angle a bit far at times, but there's good music there.

I've also become a fan of Pantera lately, Cowboys from Hell and A Vulgar Display of Power really showcase Dimebag's guitar skills. And of course there's Judas Priest, Motörhead, and the German band Arch Enemy. Even if you don't like death metal, look at this video of Arch Enemy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NizPNmUjeDU) if only to be blown away by the vocalist.

Pantera is one of the best metal bands. Period.

Shagohod
10-29-2008, 12:23 PM
and the German band Arch Enemy. Arch Enemy is Swedish. But still pretty good. Also the band Death is pure metal awesomeness. They are not nearly as well known as they deserve to be. Too bad their main songwriter/singer Chuck Schuldiner died. Also does anyone else here like blasting american technical death metal? Like the bands Origin, Hate Eternal, Nile, Brain Drill etc. Origin is from Kansas (like me) and they're pretty sweet. They even got a video on Mtv somehow. Also everyone, check out my band on myspace www.myspace.com/depravedheretic they are only crappy demos with just guitar and drums but we will have better recordings up before long with vocals and everything. Critiquing is accepted and appreciated! And we wrote those songs when we were like 18 or 19 so yeah.

Calorie Mate
10-29-2008, 01:21 PM
Man, Origin and Nile are both sweet.

Ok, so: who here hasn't heard Neurosis? Because they might be the best band ever.

Oh, right, I forgot to comment on the others: Priest and Motorhead are classics, how could you listen to metal and not know them?

Arch Enemy is pretty good, too. I admit they're a bit over-the-top and cheesey, but a)everyone's got something like that in their musical closet, and b)the singer is hot. Wages of Sin is, and always will be, a fantastic metal album. Their last record wasn't half bad, either.

...the problem with Arch Enemy is that I think of Michael Ammot, who then makes me think of Carcass, and I'm reminded that Carcass is a much, much better band. Heartwork is one of my favorite albums of all time.

Shadax
10-29-2008, 03:05 PM
I'm mostly into The Locust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpLmTAFk9LQ) and Genghis Tron (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMJWgInNEfQ) as far as my taste in people screaming nonsensically goes, although the latter owes a significant amount to progressive and electronica.

Also, it probably doesn't count, but has anyone heard the new Fucked Up album? It's pretty tops. Probably the best _____core album that starts with a flute solo this year.

Thinaran
10-29-2008, 04:57 PM
"and the German band Arch Enemy." Arch Enemy is Swedish.
Oh shit, I confused them with Kreator. Sorry 'bout that.

VioletSon
10-29-2008, 08:07 PM
I take my metal with a hearty dose of electronics, when possible. Has anyone heard Rabbit Junk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iUuCJf6qJU)? Dumb name, but a really great post-digital hardcore outfit.

My favorite "new" artist of the past few years is Aaron Spectre's project Drumcorps. It's a blastbeat breakcore take on metal that never gets so abstract that the groove is lost. Lucky for you and me, he just released a high bitrate EP of Animosity remixes. It kicks ass. (http://www.aaronspectre.com/alteredbeast/) BONUS: It's called Altered Beast.

I love black metal, but not entirely without a touch of irony. I'm particularly fond of Carpathian Forest and related project Natterfrost - they are a bit tongue-in-cheek, but not a joke band.

KCar
10-29-2008, 08:42 PM
Welp - might as well plug my brother's band. (www.myspace.com/moonlitburial)

mopinks
10-29-2008, 08:44 PM
talking about the new Dir en grey album upthread willed an internet leak into existence! I am listening to this album right now, you guys! time travel is amazing.

EDIT: opening the album with a 9-minute epic? awesome.

Stephen
10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
I feel like I should have a lot to add to this topic, but after two gigantic Best of 19__'s lists I'm still kinda metaled out. Besides, this year has been kinda shitty for metal.

The new Gojira album is the bees knees though, and anyone into old school death metal needs the Hail of Bullets debut.

I'm more into ballsy modern metal .... Killswitch Engage

What really bothers me is this sudden influx of doom "metalcore" (ugh) bullshit.

These statements make no sense to me at all.

shivam
10-30-2008, 01:19 AM
talking about the new Dir en grey album upthread willed an internet leak into existence! I am listening to this album right now, you guys! time travel is amazing.

EDIT: opening the album with a 9-minute epic? awesome.

pm me a link.

The Dread Cthulhu
10-30-2008, 01:38 AM
I'm more into the mainstream stuff, really. Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, that sort of thing.

KCar
10-30-2008, 04:41 AM
I'm more into the mainstream stuff, really. Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, that sort of thing.

I'm pretty sure calling Audioslave metal would get you lynched in some of the seedier parts of the internet (screen noose! hangs you from monitor!).

'Course, you're where folks treat folks right, so you're in no immediate danger. Just a heads up.

The Dread Cthulhu
10-30-2008, 05:42 AM
Thanks, Sheriff.

Matchstick
10-30-2008, 10:03 AM
Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armageddon

What I've heard of these guys has never done anything for me. The whole symphonic thing leaves me cold. It also brings up the discussion of keyboards in metal: can they ever not water down the aggression? :p

Satyricon - Now, Diabolical

I've heard two songs from this (the other was "King") and kind of dug them. At the risk of blowing my metal cred, I struggle a bit with the more blatant "Hail, Satan!" aspects of some metal (especially black metal). I'm not hugely religious, but it's just something that gives me pause. Maybe I'll elaborate on this later.

I've also become a fan of Pantera lately, Cowboys from Hell and A Vulgar Display of Power really showcase Dimebag's guitar skills.

Pantera are required listening in my view, but only up to VDoP.

I take my metal with a hearty dose of electronics, when possible. Has anyone heard Rabbit Junk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iUuCJf6qJU)? Dumb name, but a really great post-digital hardcore outfit.

This strikes me as the bastard child of Big Black and Fear Factory.

adamzap
10-30-2008, 12:22 PM
57 posts and no mention of Opeth? ;)

I'm really into progressive metal, some death metal, and black metal these days...especially where the two intersect.

Currently I'm into:

Diabolical Masquerade (progressive/avant-garde black metal)
Bloodbath (death metal)
Opeth (progressive death/folk?/awesome)
Burzum (black metal)
Immortal (black metal)
Between the Buried and Me (progressive metal)
Amon Amarth (viking metal)
The Super Metroid Soundtrack
Metroid Metal

I'll be more than happy to provide song suggestions/links for prospective listeners of any of these bands

Matchstick
10-30-2008, 12:32 PM
I didn't go much into a listing of what I'm into, since the original thrust (heh heh) of the thread was what you're currently listening to. Opeth is, indeed, quite enjoyable, although I'm very saddened by the departure of Martin Lopez. He had an amazing ability to bring a swing to the heaviest grooves that I found delightful.

adamzap
10-30-2008, 01:33 PM
I didn't go much into a listing of what I'm into, since the original thrust (heh heh) of the thread was what you're currently listening to. Opeth is, indeed, quite enjoyable, although I'm very saddened by the departure of Martin Lopez. He had an amazing ability to bring a swing to the heaviest grooves that I found delightful.

Right, I meant I'm kind of focusing on prog/death/black metal right now instead of prog rock, Uematsu, etc.

You aren't kidding though. The new drummer is amazing in his own way, but I don't think Lopez's performance on Damnation will ever be matched.

chud_666
10-30-2008, 09:20 PM
Whats the deal with Burzum anyway? Any good?

I am a little apprehensive listening to the tunes of murderer and Quisling apologist though... :P

Ganietzsche
10-31-2008, 06:30 AM
Also, it probably doesn't count, but has anyone heard the new Fucked Up album? It's pretty tops. Probably the best _____core album that starts with a flute solo this year.

Yeah its great, the vocals... kind of make it a worthy touchstone for this thread. The band is not a metal band; I guess if you had to call them anything one might say punk, but raw and hard and done right. And yeah its got interesting divergences like the forementioned flute solo.

adamzap
10-31-2008, 07:22 AM

I am a little apprehensive listening to the tunes of murderer and Quisling apologist though... :P

If you like black metal and don't mind poor production quality, then I think Burzum is great music. I would describe the sound as sad, doomy, and brooding. The vocals are sparse and can be a bit disturbing at times.

I too feel a little weird about listening to it now that I know about the guy behind the music. I guess I've been able to rationalize it somehow. (not sure if that's a good thing :()

I really only listen to two songs though:

Dunkelheit (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeiY2bCdFIw)
Det Som En Gang Var Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77mw9QGEnN8)
Det Som En Gang Var Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsrPDuBBsxQ)

Thinaran
10-31-2008, 07:32 AM
Varg sits in prison in my town. :D

Stiv
10-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Incorrect. He's the most jazz of metal drummers. I find Mastodon to be awesome, but sometimes tiring. I'm anxious awaiting their new album, though, which apparently is done or mostly so, but not coming out until much later.

I'm actually of the opinion that classically trained jazz drummers make both the best metal AND punk drummers (see: DJ Bonebreak) simply because it teaches how to play with speed and precision, both of which are totally crucial for the most awesome of metal.

I have Blood Mountain, and love it

LEVIATHAN. Dude, I cannot recommend that album enough; it's my second-favorite concept album of all time and has three or four really solid tracks with a bunch of pleasantries mixed in. I'm tempted to compare it to Seventh Son of a Seventh Son in terms of RAW AWESOME to PRETTY ADEQUATE and we all know Seventh Son is rad.

Unless you don't like Iron Maiden, in which case why are you enjoying metal?

Meanwhile I'm going to throw down for the other classics: Voivod and Celtic Frost. Angel Rat is a favorite in the category of "not so hard" metal. And I'm also going to throw down for the completely balls-out insane prog-metal of Aryeon - you have got to appreciate any band which makes a two-hour song about the last man on Mars dying and then forms a side project consisting of nothing but songs about sci-fi movies including a truly excellent one about Star Trek IV. Serously, you need to listen to it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooOOzreC1no)

SlimJimm
10-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I have Leviathan, and bought on recommendations, but I dont think I like it. Then again I think ive only listened to it about 2 times, but i dont know.. so far it never has clicked.

Abominable K
11-01-2008, 10:29 PM
Yngwie Malmsteen has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, even though all of his songs sound the same (I discovered this during his live show, which got so boring I walked out halfway through). I just got around to listening to Perpetual Flame, and it seems that Tim Ripper Owens brought an energy to the album that I haven't heard since Trilogy.

MikeHawkIsLarge
11-01-2008, 11:10 PM
I like most types of metal, but really enjoy anything with fast solos
...yes even Dragonforce (Heroes of our time is an awesome song).

Lately I've been listening to Children of Bodom.

Calorie Mate
11-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I have Leviathan, and bought on recommendations, but I dont think I like it. Then again I think ive only listened to it about 2 times, but i dont know.. so far it never has clicked.

Remission (the one before it) is much better. Try it.

I love Burzum. Yes, Varg bothered me for ab it...but I realized there's no magical rule that says awful people can't make good music, so I got over it. (If it makes you feel any better, pirate it.)

And that kind of segues into:

I've been listening to Pantera a lot lately. Mostly Cowboys From Hell, but some Vulgar Display of Power thrown in occasionally ("Walk" is such a good song it isn't even funny).

Anyway, so I figured we should all discuss when exactly they fell from grace, because I've heard various reasons and many of my friends are split on this issue, so I assumed ya'll would be, too. If nothing else, it'll get us talking again, because I am not a fan of this thread being on any other page but the front one.

TheSL
11-10-2008, 11:30 AM
Yngwie Malmsteen has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, even though all of his songs sound the same (I discovered this during his live show, which got so boring I walked out halfway through).

This was the same problem I had with Buckethead- incredible talent, but after over two hours of furious solos everything blended together.

Calorie Mate
11-10-2008, 11:51 AM
Bands probably shouldn't play more than 30-45 minutes, anyway. Like, seriously.

Matchstick
11-10-2008, 11:53 AM
I've been listening to Pantera a lot lately. Mostly Cowboys From Hell, but some Vulgar Display of Power thrown in occasionally ("Walk" is such a good song it isn't even funny).

Anyway, so I figured we should all discuss when exactly they fell from grace, because I've heard various reasons and many of my friends are split on this issue, so I assumed ya'll would be, too. If nothing else, it'll get us talking again, because I am not a fan of this thread being on any other page but the front one.

My interest waned after Far Beyond Driven, because I felt like they were not really going anywhere. Vulgar Display of Power was essentially the perfected version of the sound they appeared to be going for. Far Beyond Driven just seemed like more of the same. Couple that fatigue with reportedly racist comments from Phil (later retracted and apologized for) and an album called The Great Southern Trendkill and I stopped paying attention.

Calorie Mate
11-10-2008, 11:58 AM
See, I'm not sure if I agree, exactly. I think Far Beyond Driven was fine enough, but like you said - it was more of the same. I don't know if I can fault them for that or not, since it was stll perfectly fine.

I didn't really listen to much after that either, though, so I guess you might be right.

Abominable K
11-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Everyone and their mother loves Pantera, but I could never get into them. I liked Cowboys From Hell all right, but I was never sold on their later Groove output. I prefer my metal thrashy, doomy, or crunchy, not "danceable".

Calorie Mate
11-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Yes, I definitely agree. I really only listen to Cowboys From Hell and Vulgar Display of Power.

Stephen
11-12-2008, 07:18 AM
I'll take Down over Pantera any day.

Calorie Mate
11-12-2008, 09:27 AM
FAIL.

Matchstick
11-12-2008, 10:54 AM
I'll take Down over Pantera any day.

Madness.

Ganietzsche
11-12-2008, 05:57 PM
So Metacritic is pretty broken (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/underoath/lostinthesoundofseperation). But perhaps some people here like Underoath that much?

Dizzy
11-12-2008, 06:24 PM
Until Metacritic decides to take into account every person's opinion and then tally up the total amount of points, I will never trust them.

Matchstick
11-12-2008, 06:28 PM
So Metacritic is pretty broken (http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/underoath/lostinthesoundofseperation). But perhaps some people here like Underoath that much?

I haven't liked anything I've heard from them.

Ganietzsche
11-13-2008, 03:06 AM
Until Metacritic decides to take into account every person's opinion and then tally up the total amount of points, I will never trust them.

Maybe just more than four.

Wolf
11-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Am I seriously going to be the first person here to mention Atreyu? Because, I mean, damn.

Also, I really like Nightwish and Kamelot, but I keep being afraid to mention them because they apparently don't give you much "metal cred" or whatever.

TheSL
11-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Am I seriously going to be the first person here to mention Atreyu?

My first exposure to them was a live show and they sounded like complete crap. To each his own, though.

Wolf
11-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I was commenting more on the fact that they seem to be relatively popular, and it was kind of surprising to me that a thread about metal hadn't mentioned them in three pages. I like Atreyu, sure, but in moderation.

Calorie Mate
11-13-2008, 02:10 PM
My first exposure to them was a live show and they sounded like complete crap. To each his own, though.

This is my exact experience as well.

Also, I really like Nightwish and Kamelot, but I keep being afraid to mention them because they apparently don't give you much "metal cred" or whatever.

I haven't heard Kamelot, but yeah, I kind of think Nightwish is garbage. But that's ok! Everyone's opinion is welcome here. Me? I don't care for 'em, but you go right ahead and enjoy that.

Dizzy
11-13-2008, 02:14 PM

Burzum is shit and Varg Vikernes is a Nazi mystic dumbass.

http://gfx.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2003/10/31/greven.jpg

Calorie Mate
11-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Burzum is shit

no

and Varg Vikernes is a Nazi mystic nutcase.

yes

BEAT
11-13-2008, 02:27 PM
http://gfx.dagbladet.no/nyheter/2003/10/31/greven.jpg

What's wrong with his chin?

Dizzy
11-13-2008, 02:30 PM
Either it's hereditary or he took a hit to the face when he was LARPing in his younger years. Or maybe he got in that scuffle with one of his band mates.

Calorie Mate
11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
He totally killed a bandmate of his.

No, really.

mr_bungle700
11-13-2008, 08:01 PM
You have to admit, killing one of your own bandmates is pretty metal.

Calorie Mate
11-14-2008, 08:39 AM
He stabbed 'em in the head, even.

After those two, er, left, well, the band started to suck, so in my mind, Burzum killed all of Mayhem.

Matchstick
11-14-2008, 09:20 AM
All this talk reminds me of Lords of Chaos (http://tinyurl.com/6f8j2y), which is a book that chronicles a lot of the mayhem (no pun intended) surrounding the early Black Metal scene. It covers the various despicable and/or infamous acts that were going on around that time (church burnings, the murder of Euronymous, the suicide of Dead, the murder by Faust at Lillehammer). Even though I don't particularly enjoy any of the music nor a lot of the acts (and actors), I found it a fairly interesting read.

Dizzy
11-14-2008, 09:20 AM
I was more impressed and entertained with Dead's way of life and suicide than anything Varg did. Sure he killed his band mate, but since he lived his life like he was some Norse god-warrior, it was bound to happen. I remember reading about some other death metal band where a guy was being hit on by a homosexual. So he led him into a nearby forest and stabbed him to death.

Dead, on the other hand, buried dead birds and then dug them up when they had to play at a concert so he could arose himself with the "smell of death." And then when he decided to check out, he blew his brains out and left a note saying "excuse all the blood." Then Mayhem cannibalized his brain and gave away bits of his skull to other "worthy" death metal bands. You can't make that stuff up.

It's what I love about black/death metal bands: how seriously they take their ridiculous, morbid philosophy.

"I honestly think Dead is mentally insane. Which other way can you describe a guy who does not eat in order to get starving wounds? Or who has a t-shirt with funeral announcements on it?" - Euronymous (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_(musician))

Matchstick
11-14-2008, 09:36 AM
I was more impressed and entertained with Dead's way of life and suicide than anything Varg did. Sure he killed his band mate, but since he lived his life like he was some Norse god-warrior, it was bound to happen. I remember reading about some other death metal band where a guy was being hit on by a homosexual. So he led him into a nearby forest and stabbed him to death.

That would be the aforementioned Faust (from Emperor).

Then Mayhem cannibalized his brain and gave away bits of his skull to other "worthy" death metal bands. You can't make that stuff up.

Mayhem have actually denied that Euronymous ate any of the brain matter, but do acknowledge giving skull fragment necklaces to other musicians.

I know way too much about this stuff.

Calorie Mate
11-10-2009, 10:47 AM
I thought about waiting another 4 days so that this would be updated in exactly a year, but screw that.

Anyway, I finally got aroundto listening to Mastodon's new album, Crack the Skye. It's good stuff! A couple of the songs push it into even more prog metal territory than Blood Mountain did (not necessarily a bad thing), and overall after two listens I think I like it more than Blood Mountain.

I know way too much about this stuff.

I remember hearing these kinds of stories when I first went off to college and got introduced to black metal. It's the kind of stuff you just assume is hyperbole the first time you hear it.

adamzap
11-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Yeah, I really enjoyed Crack the Skye as well. Mastodon keeps getting better.

I'm not quite sure what to think of Between the Buried and Me's new stuff though.

I kind of think Crack the Skye was prog-flavored Mastodon whereas The Great Misdirect was Between the Buried and Me-flavored prog. And Colors was great prog-flavored BTBAM. I need to give it another listen...but it seemed like they sacrificed a lot of heavyness for some weird prog ideas.

Calorie Mate
11-10-2009, 12:16 PM
I think I've liked BTBAM less with each album they release. It just went in directions that I'm not particularly interested in. Probably at least part of that is sacrificing heaviness, like you said, but also (I think) they take the prog too far for my tastes.

adamzap
11-10-2009, 12:31 PM
My METAL band of the moment is Wolves of the Throne Room.

Seems like a pretty good fit for your tastes, my Caloric friend. Have you heard them?

Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog (http://youtube.com/watch?v=s4ibBdXJ3Jg)
Vastness and Sorrow (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lkvcAGFsQoc)

I'm also listening to some old In Flames songs as well as a tiny bit of Behemoth.

As well as the Lufia 2 and Phantasy Star Online soundtracks

Calorie Mate
11-10-2009, 01:23 PM
My METAL band of the moment is Wolves of the Throne Room.

I think you mean Wolves in the Throne Room.

Seems like a pretty good fit for your tastes, my Caloric friend. Have you heard them?

You could say that. :) (Yes, they're pretty sweet. I haven't listened to 'em as much as I would have liked to, but they're pretty alright. I definitely give 'em a thumbs up.)

In Flames and Behemoth both have never been my thing, though. Is Behemoth the one with the crazy off time drumming? If so, it's pretty crazy, though you'll never convince me he isn't just making it up as he goes along. :P

adamzap
11-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Yeah Wolves IN the Throne Room :o

I don't think of off-time drumming when I think of Behemoth...just really awesome black metal drumming. I'd be interested to know who you're thinking of though.

Is anyone else into Diabolical Masquerade? That's some wonderful black metal right there. Death's Design and Nightwork are good albums to start with.

In Flames and Behemoth both have never been my thing

Could this (http://www.last.fm/user/CalorieMate) be you with In Flames as your top listened artist? ;)

Calorie Mate
11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Could this (http://www.last.fm/user/CalorieMate) be you with In Flames as your top listened artist? ;)

I assure you that anyone that managed to listen to Linkin Park 500 times is definitely not me.

Matchstick
11-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Crack the Skye is, indeed, excellent. I've checked out Wolves in the Throne Room, but they didn't grab me. I'm not a fan of black metal, in general, so that's not necessarily a surprise. I like In Flames, but mainly the earlier stuff (up to Colony).

mopinks
11-10-2009, 07:34 PM
I think I've mentioned Gonin-Ish somewhere in this forum before, but I'm going to mention them again. Gonin-Ish (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRrXUZ8AxiE) is pretty cool! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT6O4tZ4cWE)

Ethan Implosion
11-11-2009, 12:05 AM
I saw Lamb Of God tonight, they opened for Metallica. They were sort of shitty. I like "Redneck" and "Laid To Rest", but the rest of their set was just uninspired white noise.

Also, I had a chance to see Scum Of The Earth last weekend in a tiny club. For those that don't know SOTE is Rob Zombie's ex-lead guitar player Blasro's new project. Its pretty much "White Zombie lite" but "Get Your Dead On" and "Bombshell From Hell" are pretty catchy. Frankly, they weren't that great.

shivam
11-11-2009, 12:08 AM
i saw lamb of god at the beginning of the metallica tour last year, and they bored the shit out of me. it was just loud noise with no artistry.

Ethan Implosion
11-11-2009, 12:18 AM
i saw lamb of god at the beginning of the metallica tour last year, and they bored the shit out of me. it was just loud noise with no artistry.

They're generic, but they seemed to do their job. They really made me want to see Metallica.

Metallica were fucking great, though. I might post something more detailed later.

TheSL
11-11-2009, 06:10 AM

Their stage presence was pretty awesome when they headlined earlier this year, with the entire stage set up to look like a castle.

Matchstick
11-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Lamb of God doesn't seem like the kind of band that would be well suited to an arena format. It's too intricate to really work in that kind of setting. I'm not saying they're the greatest thing since sliced bread by any means, but a giant arena with shitty acoustics isn't going to do them justice.

NevznachaY
11-11-2009, 01:37 PM
It still amazes me that, in modern America, any type of technical metal is supposedly for intellectuals (this thread provides the evidence once again). Everywhere around Europe it's extremely unfashionable (in a broad sense) and associated with Beavis & Butt-head types or hopeless nerd caricatures. Unless you're talking about Pitchforkian (is that a word?) metal, of course.

(I don't like 98% of metal, even though I'm an apologist for most types of popular music; it has A LOT to do with the surrounding subculture)

Calorie Mate
11-11-2009, 02:17 PM
It still amazes me that, in modern America, any type of technical metal is supposedly for intellectuals

I think you're going to have to elaborate on that. Metalheads are still, by and large, viewed as uncultured meatheads by a good portion of modern America.

Ethan Implosion
11-11-2009, 08:14 PM
I think you're going to have to elaborate on that. Metalheads are still, by and large, viewed as uncultured meatheads by a good portion of modern America.

I know I am....

NevznachaY
11-12-2009, 12:26 AM
Every single American college guy I've ever met was either into indie (in the broad sense) or metal (in the broad sense). And they had girlfriends and were nice and stuff!

adamzap
11-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Every single American college guy I've ever met was either into indie (in the broad sense) or metal (in the broad sense). And they had girlfriends and were nice and stuff!

This is pretty far from the truth at my university. I have a few friends that are really into metal, but more commonly it can be a stumbling block for people that don't know me well. Of course, that's a bit of an assumption.

I am quicker to associate progressive music with intellectuals. I think it's safe to say that a lot of newer, critically-acclaimed (?) metal is dabbles in prog though. (Mastodon, BTBAM, Opeth, etc)

Calorie Mate
11-12-2009, 09:01 AM

I went to college and have a girlfriend and am generally considered nice. What's your point? That - gasp! - broad stereotypes aren't always true? I'm really not sure what it is you're trying to get across, here. Sure, there were some metalheads in college, but they tended to be a significant minority, at least in every collegeI visited. (I would say that a large portion of college kids like indie rock, though - that particular stereotype definitely has some weight behind it.)

Anyway, I've been listening to Diamond Head's first record a lot lately. I've always been a little cold on Am I Evil? - it's 3/4 of a good song with a great riff that speeds up and sucks about half way through - but the three songs preceding it are great, especially Sucking My Love. God damn, I love that album.

NevznachaY
11-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I think that broad stereotypes being true is usually very sad. But it does happen sometime - and that's the case with the stereotyping of metalheads inn my country - and in the UK, and in Scandinavia, and in Germany etc. What I really want to say is that, from my experience, the majority of vocal American metalheads are emphatically my type of people - excluding the music. That still surprises me, because in any part of Europe a typical metalhead is not the type of person I would associate myself with.

I'm not saying that they're bad people, see? I didn't intend to offend you or be seen as this lover of sweeping generalizations.

NevznachaY
11-12-2009, 09:55 AM
(Mastodon, BTBAM, Opeth, etc)

This is what I called Pitchforkian (sorry for this silly neologism) metal, and it really is kind of fashionable among the music snobs.

(like myself, yeah)

adamzap
11-12-2009, 10:35 AM
This is what I called Pitchforkian (sorry for this silly neologism) metal, and it really is kind of fashionable among the music snobs.

(like myself, yeah)

That is a surprise to me because I really like those bands and know pretty much nothing about Pitchfork other than it is a website with words on it.

Could you name some bands that are starkly not Pitchforkian?

NevznachaY
11-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Um... Any symphonic metal band ever? Any medieval metal band ever? Dragonforce?

Dampe
11-12-2009, 12:47 PM
I like Mastodon and Dragonforce and I have a wife/job/house and am not a meathead. Hopefully I don't cause the destruction of the earth.

Calorie Mate
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I love Mastodon and hate all the other bands you mentioned - yes, even Opeth.

NevznachaY
11-12-2009, 01:06 PM
Well, Opeth is only sometimes included in the list of metal bands typically endorsed by hipsters. Mastodon always is. Other regulars: post-metal and drone-y stuff (Boris, Sunn O))), ISIS, Minsk), prog-metal that's closer to math rock and Sun Ra than to Dream Theater (Dillinger Escape plan, various Patton bands). Extreme noise like Lightning Bolt can be categorized like this as well.

I love Mastodon and hate all the other bands you mentioned - yes, even Opeth.

I still get the "offended" vibe from you. It makes me sad.

adamzap
11-12-2009, 01:14 PM
yes, even Opeth.

Any particular reason?

Dadgum Roi
11-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Is Opeth famous now or something? I remember getting hand-copied demo tapes and hand written letters from them in high school. Jest like all the other death metal bands.

Calorie Mate
11-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Well, Opeth is only sometimes included in the list of metal bands typically endorsed by hipsters. Mastodon always is. Other regulars: post-metal and drone-y stuff (Boris, Sunn O))), ISIS, Minsk), prog-metal that's closer to math rock and Sun Ra than to Dream Theater (Dillinger Escape plan, various Patton bands). Extreme noise like Lightning Bolt can be categorized like this as well.

Yeah, I never get the "Pitchfork" crowd. I like some of those bands and hate some of those bands. Lightning Bolt and Sunn, for example, strike me as something people like simply because other people won't. Of course, that's a generalization that's probably not true - and people have said that about music I like as well - but I think you guys know what I mean.

I still get the "offended" vibe from you. It makes me sad.

I didn't mean to make you sad. No hard feelings, though - I suspected you were saying one thing, when what you were actually saying wasn't so bad. (To sum up: every single American metalhead you've met flies in the face of the metalhead stereotype that you've experienced to be true in every other part of the world. It isn't surprising that stereotypes aren't always true, but thinking that about one country in particular is a bit odd, I agree. I guess all I can suggest is that you should go to more metal shows in the U.S. to readjust your beliefs - there are plenty of "classic" metalheads out there, too.)

Any particular reason?

Not really; they're just not my cup of tea, never have been. I'd barely remember the few times I listened to them if other people I know hadn't put such an emphasis on them.

Ethan Implosion
11-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I've been digging Otep's new album "Smash The Control Machine", lately. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxYGfQ54gfA)

They're not the best metal band in the world or anything. But they're still a lot of fun. And their lead singer is pretty hot for a skanky metal chick.

adamzap
11-13-2009, 09:26 PM
How do you guys feel about metal lyrics? Do you make an effort to read and understand them?

I'd say I try to ignore the lyrics for 90%-95% of my metal. Sometimes I'll read the lyrics of a song and be pretty lukewarm about it or lose a bit of respect for the artist. I'd rather interpret the vocals for myself.

I've only had to stop listening to one band because of their lyrics, and that's Bloodbath. I'd pay a lot of money for an instrumental Bloodbath discography.

I guess a broader discussion is whether or not you can listen to music and not be influenced by the lyrics. I think if there's any type of metal this works for, it's metal (or music of a foreign tongue). A lot of the time, the lyrics are sonically unintelligible, so the listener must opt in to the lyrics.

Ethan Implosion
11-13-2009, 09:32 PM
How do you guys feel about metal lyrics? Do you make an effort to read and understand them?

I'd say I try to ignore the lyrics for 90%-95% of my metal. Sometimes I'll read the lyrics of a song and be pretty lukewarm about it or lose a bit of respect for the artist. I'd rather interpret the vocals for myself.

I've only had to stop listening to one band because of their lyrics, and that's Bloodbath. I'd pay a lot of money for an instrumental Bloodbath discography.

I guess a broader discussion is whether or not you can listen to music and not be influenced by the lyrics. I think if there's any type of metal this works for, it's metal (or music of a foreign tongue). A lot of the time, the lyrics are sonically unintelligible, so the listener must opt in to the lyrics.

I like to be able to understand the lyrics to a song after I listen to it a few times. But I don't listen to super heavy shit, like black metal. Metallica, Pantera, Motley Crue, Otep (who I've just gotten into), and a lot of the metal I listen to have relatively intelligible (and sometimes very clever) lyrics.

chud_666
11-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I like hilarious lyrics

From "Metal Metal Land" by GWAR:

"Here in Metal Metal Land
Nothing ever dies
Except of course our enemies
And they're attracting metal flies

Here in Metal Metal Land
Everything is loud
All the chicks are strippers
All their father's proud"

Or what I would call unintentionally hilarious like Amon Amarth:

"Valhall Awaits Me"

"I drop the shield and grab my axe
A weapon in each fist
The first blow makes the helmet crack
The axe cut to the teeth

I rip the axe from the head
Covered in blood and brains
Leave the body lying dead
Ready to strike again

My sword cuts through clothes and skin
Like a hot knife cuts through snow
I smile as the bastard screams
When I twist my sword"

And then there is unintelligible to me lyrics like Gorgoroth. By the bands request their lyrics have never been printed anywhere, and they often in Norwegian anyway. I bet it's pretty disreputable though

So what's the deal with Bloodbath?

Calorie Mate
11-13-2009, 09:45 PM

Nope. I don't give a damn about lyrics, but that's usually the case for any kind of music, not just metal. I like singing, but I more or less view it as just another instrument adding to the song.

Y'know, in a lot of ways I like metal better for that reason - it often dispenses with trying or pretending to have meaningful lyrics in favor of something that's awesome (example: occult references are just neater than talking about love and boring shit like that). And yes, I know there are a lot of bands that regrettably take their shit seriously, but I like to think at least some of the guys wearing corpse paint singing about burning churches or whatever are just having fun.

Edit: I think chud's got it right.

Ethan Implosion
11-13-2009, 09:49 PM
Steel Panter's- Death To All But Metal (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37yhT_ndLfw) is the funniest "metal" song I've ever heard.

chud_666
11-13-2009, 09:52 PM
I find this to be hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vf3VzVbrXU

It's Mastodon, but unlike any Mastodon I've heard. But I think its pretty bad-ass. It went out on my Listening Time disc

Matchstick
11-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Nope. I don't give a damn about lyrics, but that's usually the case for any kind of music, not just metal. I like singing, but I more or less view it as just another instrument adding to the song.

We had a bit of this discussion in the thread for the second Listening Time swap. Some folks were complaining about not being able to stomach the more growly and/or screechy vocal stylings in some people's mixes whereas I espoused an opinion similar to the above. That's not to say that I don't care about a good lyric. Rather a bad lyric doesn't necessarily disqualify a song/band for me.

adamzap
11-13-2009, 10:18 PM

Y'know, in a lot of ways I like metal better for that reason - it often dispenses with trying or pretending to have meaningful lyrics in favor of something that's awesome (example: occult references are just neater than talking about love and boring shit like that).

I very much agree with this.

So what's the deal with Bloodbath?

I guess their anti-Jesus lyrics are the most extreme of anything I've ever listened to. As their discography progresses, they seem to moving from gore/death lyrics to really blatant anti-Christian stuff. I really like Mikael Akerfeldt and Anders Nystrom, and these lyrics strike me as them reaching for a certain image more than anything.

I mean...I can listen to Dimmu Borgir all day long and not worry about the lyrics because those dudes a bit of a parody. Who can really take their image and lyrics seriously?

Hmm. It's hard for me to articulate, and I know it's a bit inconsistent considering everything else I listen to. I found myself singing songs like "Mock the cross" in my car and was like, "Man this is just stupid".

chud_666
11-13-2009, 10:20 PM
I read some, and I was "this is nothing comapred to 'Meathook Sodomy' by Cannibal Corpse"

adamzap
11-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Ha, yeah. I haven't listened to much Cannibal Corpse for some reason.

Their song "Death Walking Terror" is awesome though. Mostly because the riff is hilariously simple and works great with the vocalist's phrasing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ehy2JhRmME

Stephen
11-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Man, there's a bunch of stuff in this thread that's making my brain hurt.

I'll just link to some Pestilence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0W09RrPcYo&fmt=18) for now.

I find this to be hilarious: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vf3VzVbrXU

It's Mastodon, but unlike any Mastodon I've heard. But I think its pretty bad-ass. It went out on my Listening Time disc

Yeah, that's awesome. I love their work, but there's a little part of me that wonders what could have been if they'd decided to be the world's greatest metal band (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUT2L5zAFOw) instead of taking the proggy path.

Dampe
11-14-2009, 07:53 PM

Y'know, in a lot of ways I like metal better for that reason - it often dispenses with trying or pretending to have meaningful lyrics in favor of something that's awesome (example: occult references are just neater than talking about love and boring shit like that). And yes, I know there are a lot of bands that regrettably take their shit seriously, but I like to think at least some of the guys wearing corpse paint singing about burning churches or whatever are just having fun.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. In fact there are quite a few bands I like in spite of their lyrics.

Yeah, that's awesome. I love their work, but there's a little part of me that wonders what could have been if they'd decided to be the world's greatest metal band instead of taking the proggy path.

I think that they might be becoming the world's greatest metal band because they are taking the prog path.

Stephen
11-14-2009, 10:52 PM
I think that they might be becoming the world's greatest metal band because they are taking the prog path.

I just meant that it would have been fun to see them continue down the larynx shredding, riff heavy path they started out on. It's an interesting what if, nothing more. In my opinion, they are the best modern metal band, hands down.

Also, here's some Ulver, cause this is the metal thread. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Ubctz2ywA)

Matchstick
11-14-2009, 11:16 PM
I just found out that Chuck Schuldiner's sister, Beth, is actually working on getting the second Control Denied album completed. They're organizing a Fan Club to help defray the cost of studio time, mastering, pressing, etc. There's also an essay contest with memorabilia as prizes. Entries close pretty soon. If anybody is interested in either of these, check out the official site (http://www.chuck-schuldiner.org/).

Stephen
11-14-2009, 11:43 PM
That's interesting, but I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me really wants to see what that stuff sounds like--The Fragile Art of Existence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anczqsRxgik) is a really good album, after all--and part of me wants to just let it rest. It's hard to imagine Chuck's art coming together properly without his guidance and vision.

Actually, screw it. I need this labor of love from his family and friends to wash the taste of Zero Tolerance out of my mouth. Fuck that thing. It was an embarrassment.

Abominable K
11-20-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm listening to Carcass' first album and I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma. The music is the first time in my years of listening to metal that I've actually felt sickened. But as a Goregrind band, that was kind of what they were going for. So I give it that. Even so, the album just sounds bad to my ears. So this complicates the simple question of, is this good music? They've managed to achieve their goals, even though it sounds wretched.

Stephen
11-20-2009, 07:51 PM
Reek of Putrefaction is actually a decent album buried under a shitty production. It's bad even by 1988 grind standards and that's saying something. Carcass doesn't get good until Symphonies of Sickness.

adamzap
11-20-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm listening to Carcass' first album and I'm faced with a bit of a dilemma. The music is the first time in my years of listening to metal that I've actually felt sickened. But as a Goregrind band, that was kind of what they were going for. So I give it that. Even so, the album just sounds bad to my ears. So this complicates the simple question of, is this good music? They've managed to achieve their goals, even though it sounds wretched.

Can you recommend a song or two that most exhibit this?

Abominable K
11-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Genital Grinder/Regurgitation of Giblets

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnbjwODdUcE

It's not even the lyrics or anything (I knew what I was getting into in that department when I learned it was Goregrind), musically there's just something stomach churning about it.

adamzap
11-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Also, here's some Ulver, cause this is the metal thread. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Ubctz2ywA)

Oh man, I'm way into this Ulver song now. Thanks.

Carcass stuff

Yeah I think the production quality helps a lot with what this song evokes. It gets pretty unintelligible toward the end. I see these were the pre Michael Amott days.

Dadgum Roi
11-21-2009, 05:10 AM
I couldn't listen to any of Carcass' old stuff after Heartwork.

Stephen
11-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Man, not even "Corporeal Jigsore Quandry"? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7oGGud2Jk4&fmt=18)

Dadgum Roi
11-21-2009, 11:07 AM
In spite of a fascination with corporeal jigsores...no, not even that.

Calorie Mate
11-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Speaking of Michael Amott, what's the general opinion of Arch Enemy? I count them as a guilty pleasure myself, but my best friend is incapable of hearing anything but a watered-down Carcass and refuses to give them the time of day.

Dadgum Roi
11-21-2009, 12:39 PM
Huh, checking out Wikipedia, I had no idea that Amott was Swedish(or had forgotten). I suppose that explains the Gothenburg bent in Heartwork.

Matchstick
11-21-2009, 04:00 PM
Speaking of Michael Amott, what's the general opinion of Arch Enemy? I count them as a guilty pleasure myself, but my best friend is incapable of hearing anything but a watered-down Carcass and refuses to give them the time of day.

I'm not sure why it would be a guilty pleasure. I like them, in general, although their output has been going downhill for me. I haven't checked out their latest, but it's just re-recordings of Liiva-era stuff with Gossow singing, so I don't know whether I'll pick it up or not. The only Liiva album I have is Stigmata, which is good, but I prefer stuff like "Ravenous", "Dead Eyes See No Future", and "Leader of the Rats".

Calorie Mate
11-21-2009, 04:04 PM
I'm not sure why it would be a guilty pleasure.

I don't know, as I said, a lot of people I know just don't like them, and I'll admit they're a bit cheesy at times. Of course, Wages of Sin is probably my favorite album of theirs, though I haven't listened to their really early stuff.

Abominable K
11-21-2009, 11:16 PM
I like Wages of Sin, but I thought their earlier albums were pretty average. I listened to Doomsday Machine and haven't bothered listening to them since.

Arch Enemy's the reason I listened to Carcass the other day actually. A friend recommended I check them out since they were supposedly similar to Arch Enemy's Wages of Sin era. Unfortunately, I have a habit of trying to listen to band's discographies from the beginning.

Calorie Mate
11-22-2009, 11:50 AM
I like Wages of Sin, but I thought their earlier albums were pretty average. I listened to Doomsday Machine and haven't bothered listening to them since.

Arch Enemy's the reason I listened to Carcass the other day actually. A friend recommended I check them out since they were supposedly similar to Arch Enemy's Wages of Sin era. Unfortunately, I have a habit of trying to listen to band's discographies from the beginning.

That is unfortunate, yes. I've long since found it's best to have some of their best work recommended to me, and if I like that, I'll go back and see what else sticks.

Anyway, listen to Heartwork.

Calorie Mate
12-01-2009, 06:15 PM
In case anyone missed the news about Dio a few days ago:

Ronnie has been diagnosed with the early stages of stomach cancer. We are starting treatment immediately at the Mayo Clinic. After he kills this dragon, Ronnie will be back on stage, where he belongs, doing what he loves best, performing for his fans. Long live rock and roll, long live Ronnie James Dio. Thanks to all the friends and fans from all over the world that have sent well wishes. This has really helped to keep his spirit up.

Mokrap of Croton
12-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Hooray! The only other forum I post on is a metal one.

My opinions on a bunch of terrible albums (and a few good ones) that came out recently are here: http://www.globaldomination.se/autopsy/audio-autopsy-december-2009 (as Lumberjack).

I finally got my copy of "Grind Madness at the BBC" in the mail the other day. A giant three-disc comp of the Earache bands that did live sessions on John Peel's radio broadcast in the mid-late 80s. I already had Napalm Death's Peel, but none of the others.

I was really impressed with E.N.T., Carcass, and Bolt Thrower's sets so far. Bolt Thrower, in particular, sound heavier here than they do on most of their classic studio output. The first four tracks feature the vocalist they had prior to Karl Willets, also. Less of a growler and more of a thrashy barker, which I dig. I've yet to spin all the hardcore bands on the third disc, but I'm looking forward to it.

I also just discovered that France can grind like mad. Anybody into dirty-ass (yet well executed) grindcore should give Blockheads a shot (obviously not Ian Drury's thing).

Also, new Baroness is rad.

EDIT: I sincerely hope metal's dwarf sorcerer gets well as soon as possible.

Stephen
12-14-2009, 12:25 AM
That Peel sessions thing sounds great and I didn't even know it existed. Just about every band that passed through that studio seemed to give a little extra for their performances. I kinda miss writing for GD, 'cause I could sneak the dumbest shit in there. Flame bait, idiotic conceptual pieces, whatever crazy stuff I could come up to amuse myself. Ah the good old days.

Calorie Mate
12-14-2009, 11:11 AM
Also, new Baroness is rad.

How new is "new" Baroness? I really liked their two EPs, but then I was pretty cold on the album they put out...was it a year or two ago, maybe? I haven't listened to 'em since.

(It's a shame, because "Tower Falls" is such a good song. Best post-Maiden use of guitar harmonization.)

Matchstick
12-14-2009, 05:50 PM
How new is "new" Baroness? I really liked their two EPs, but then I was pretty cold on the album they put out...was it a year or two ago, maybe? I haven't listened to 'em since.

The Blue Record (http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Record-Baroness/dp/B002LVS4WM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1260841810&sr=8-1) just came out in October.

Calorie Mate
12-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Is it better than Red Album?

Mokrap of Croton
12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
I don't know if I'd call it better just yet, need more time. I really enjoyed the Red album, but haven't heard the previous stuff yet.

It's less straight ahead rocking, and they're doing more interesting stuff with the guitar leads and harmonizing more than they did on Red. I could end up liking it more, as it seems there's more going on, more rabbit holes.

Stephen
12-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I haven't really been feeling the Blue Album at all, for the same reasons that you seem to like it. It's just too fiddly for me--I'm never quite sure what the hell's going on.

Besides, I found Raise the Red Lantern (http://www.myspace.com/raisetheredlantern) (check "Thick as Thieves" and "Ritual"), which I'm digging the shit out of. They have a lot in common with Baroness, but they fall a bit more on the hardcore side of things and sound quite a bit sludgier. They even work in some rad d-beat stuff on the second half of the album.

Mokrap of Croton
12-16-2009, 01:36 PM
rad d-beat stuff

Sold.

OH hey, in more "giant grind-related comp" news, in January Misery Index is going to put out an package of all their eps, demos, and splits from 2001-2008, to be remastered by Scott Hull. That should kick fucking ass. A lot of that early stuff they did is pure gold, especially their split with Commit Suicide.

Calorie Mate
12-16-2009, 02:09 PM
I was told last night that Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, and Anthrax (i.e. "The Big 4 of Thrash") will be playing together, although they only have dates listed for Eastern Europe or some shit.

Now, if they were to come to the U.S. with this, and if they were to limit themselves to just playing their early, good thrash stuff, I'd be all over this.

Mokrap of Croton
12-16-2009, 04:02 PM
I'd go just to see Slayer, and then leave as soon as the others started to bore me. Slayer kicked all their asses back in the day, and is the only one of the group whose most recent album is rad (yes, I actually dig the hell out of World Painted Blood because I'm fucking retarded).

It's cool that it's happening, but I think three of those bands are in serious danger of just being embarrassing/embarrassed.

EDIT: I would stick around at least long enough to see that goofy Metallica bassist walk around like a weightlifting crab a bit.

Calorie Mate
12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
I don't think anyone's arguing that Slayer has certainly aged better than the others, but I'll fight the claim that Slayer kicked all of their asses back in the day. I love me some Slayer, but that's just ridiculous.

You're right about the other three being in serious danger of embarrassing themselves, though. I just want to know who - Metallica or Megadeth - will be more embarrassing.

Edit: Alright, you won me back over by making fun of the crab walker.

Abominable K
12-17-2009, 02:03 AM
I can't speak for them this tour, but I saw Megadeth in 2007 with Heaven & Hell and they were pretty awesome, so I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

TheSL
12-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Yeah, I saw Megadeth a couple weeks ago and outside of Mustaine's political agenda (what's new, though?) they were still pretty awesome.

Dadgum Roi
12-17-2009, 06:03 AM
Mustaine's political agenda

Which is what? I never picked up on any political themes in Megadeth's music except for half-hearted anti-war stuff, which was yet another way in which he was imitating Metallica.

TheSL
12-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Which is what? I never picked up on any political themes in Megadeth's music except for half-hearted anti-war stuff, which was yet another way in which he was imitating Metallica.

Well, for one I wouldn't exactly call it imitating Metallica when he was one of the founding members (despite being run out of the group before an album was released).

He's always had little anti-war messages in his songs, but the last few albums have been a lot more vocal about it, with entire songs likening the coming state of America to concentration camps. When I saw him play it was a few days after they had announced that Obama was sending 30,000 more troops to Afghanistan and Mustaine got all pissy on stage, saying he'd never vote for this guy again and how he'd write his own name on the ballot and encouraged everyone else to too.

In other words, if you plan on listening to new Megadeth try to ignore the vocals and focus just on the guitar solos.

Dadgum Roi
12-17-2009, 07:04 AM
Well, for one I wouldn't exactly call it imitating Metallica when he was one of the founding members (despite being run out of the group before an album was released).

That's what I mean. He always had a beef with them after that, Megadeth was like a government-in-exile.

Mokrap of Croton
12-17-2009, 02:32 PM
@ Calorie: Well, I never liked Anthrax. I like a handful of songs off "Killing..." and "Rust..." by Megadeth, and I can dig "Kill 'Em All" through "Master..." by Metallica. Slayer, on the other hand, I can gorge on from the debut up to "Diabolus...", then skip until the newest one.

Of the big thrash bands, Slayer was always the most appealing to me. The others get owned by lesser known American bands like Sadus (!!!!!), Dark Angel, Ironchrist (only one album, but fuck it) and Demolition Hammer and German stuff like Kreator and Sodom. I'm just starting to get into Japanese thrash, too, after hearing Hayaino Daisuki (which is John Chang and members of Mortalized basically writing a love letter to oldschool Jap-thrash).

Basically, I'm one of those snobby assholes who is too cool to dig Anthrax and Megadeth, and anything but the first three Metallica albums.

As far as Mustaine's worldview, he has lately (I think around the time he quit drinking/drugs) become some kind of batshit Christian and believes the UN is going to cause the Rapture or something.

NevznachaY
12-17-2009, 03:29 PM
That's what I mean. He always had a beef with them after that, Megadeth was like a government-in-exile.

So that makes Megadeth Taiwan to Metallica's PRC? That sounds about right if you compare their popularity.

Dizzy
12-17-2009, 04:10 PM
I haven't been keeping up with black metal though I do find it amusing how musically versatile the main singer and guitarist for Opeth is. In fact I think that band cannot be tied down to one genre, they're like Spyro Gyra (http://www.spyrogyra.com/)!

Doo bee dee da da wah wah (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg6Iu4cK3gM). Yeah! Jazz fushion!

Calorie Mate
12-17-2009, 04:28 PM
Basically, I'm one of those snobby assholes who is too cool to dig Anthrax and Megadeth, and anything but the first three Metallica albums.

It's too bad you can't get into early Anthrax or Megadeth - there's good stuff in there, though it sounds like you gave it a shot. I would probably say someone that likes thrash and DOESN'T like at least some of it is being snobby, though...

HOWEVER, there's nothing wrong with your opinion on Metallica, except for the fact that ...And Justice For All is also a good album. Anything past their first FOUR albums isn't worth listening to, though.

Mokrap of Croton
12-17-2009, 05:17 PM
I said I dig some of the early Megadeth stuff. A song or two off Anthrax's "Fistful..." is cool with me, too. They just always seemed like a "little brother" band, though.

I DO dig S.O.D., and that had two Anthraxers (and one former one), does that count?

...And Justice falls flat with me just because of the bassless, tinny sound (and the reasoning behind it, really).

Although I dig all kinds of shit, I think thrash was probably metal's finest moment. I just don't like some of the "Big Four" all that much.

In conclusion: SSSSLLLLLAAAAYYYYYEEEERRRRRRR! Ahem.

Matchstick
12-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Of the big thrash bands, Slayer was always the most appealing to me. The others get owned by lesser known American bands like Sadus (!!!!!), Dark Angel, Ironchrist (only one album, but fuck it) and Demolition Hammer and German stuff like Kreator and Sodom. I'm just starting to get into Japanese thrash, too, after hearing Hayaino Daisuki (which is John Chang and members of Mortalized basically writing a love letter to oldschool Jap-thrash).

It seems to me you like more chaotic kinds of thrash bands than those that are more "groovy" (for lack of a better word.

As far as Mustaine's worldview, he has lately (I think around the time he quit drinking/drugs) become some kind of batshit Christian and believes the UN is going to cause the Rapture or something.

Yeah, he has become a born-again Christian (which I find all kinds of ironic) and turned into a strangely neocon-ish (or maybe libertarian - I haven't actually looked that deeply at it) person as well at least from first blush (see also: "The System Has Failed" and "United Abominations").

Calorie Mate
12-17-2009, 09:04 PM
I DO dig S.O.D., and that had two Anthraxers (and one former one), does that count?

Yes. S.O.D. is awesome.

...And Justice falls flat with me just because of the bassless, tinny sound (and the reasoning behind it, really).

I suppose I can understand that.

Mokrap of Croton
12-17-2009, 10:19 PM
It seems to me you like more chaotic kinds of thrash bands than those that are more "groovy" (for lack of a better word.

Yes, precisely. I can appreciate a good groove now and then, but I prefer hectic, maddening thrash. It's that kind of thinking that got me into grindcore, as well.

Stephen
12-20-2009, 05:24 PM
I bought a big stack of metal albums a couple of weeks ago, in an attempt to catch up with some of the stuff I missed this year. This weekend I finally started working my way through it, first up the second Warbringer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJqFe36gSgw) album, Waking into Nightmares. I'm digging it. I was assigned their first one (War Without End) for some website (GD, I think) and enjoyed it a little more than I should have. At the very least, I liked their brand of bay area worship a lot more than I liked the new Exodus album that was released around the same time.

Their second album is much better. The biggest upgrade is at drummer, since the previous dude wasn't very good. It also sports a much better production (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDiADAlmP-s). It's not as trebley and doesn't have the mixing problems that hurt the first one.

Mokrap of Croton
12-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Speaking of new thrash bands that play old school, I just found Vektor (http://www.myspace.com/vektor), out of Arizona.

Lo-fi, very 80s classic thrash in the production. I feel like they're doing something new and cool with it, though. Lots of weirdness going on. A comparison might be drawn to what Voivod would've become if Voivod hadn't decided to quit playing thrash and start sucking so long ago.

ravinoff
12-22-2009, 02:18 PM
The ever awesome Coilhouse did a write-up (http://coilhouse.net/2009/12/typecasts-primitive-north-america-mix/) on Typecast's Primitive North America Mixtape (http://www.roadsidepicnic.com/Primitive%20North%20America.mp3).

The mix is pretty great. "Just pure, brutal, lo-fi nihilism full of tape hiss and vinegar." Indeed.

Mokrap of Croton
12-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I will be checking that out on the strength of the quote alone. Sounds fucking great!

Matchstick
12-22-2009, 05:01 PM
I will be checking that out on the strength of the quote alone. Sounds fucking great!

Whereas for me, it makes me immediately wary. Shitty music recorded badly is still shitty. I don't think non-existent production values (willfully imposed or not) makes a band any more credible regardless of genre. I'm not ascribing any of these attitudes to you. It's just a hot button for me, so I had a jumping off point.

Stephen
12-22-2009, 08:58 PM
Speaking of new thrash bands that play old school, I just found Vektor (http://www.myspace.com/vektor), out of Arizona.

You had me at "Voivod", but "thrash" doesn't even begin to describe that stuff. It definitely sounds like something that should have been released in 1987, but not in a bad way. I like it, though the period from 0:30-1:00 on "Hunger for Violence" kinda rips off Mario (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyrXdOkSFIg).

And, since I'm here, I've been digging the Narrows first album (http://www.myspace.com/narrows). It's from Dave Verellen, the vocalist from Botch, and some other dudes. It's not Botch, but it's almost as good. It covers a lot of ground in 28 minutes and doesn't waste my time. I like that in an album.

Mokrap of Croton
12-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Haha, yeah, I see what you mean about Mario. Glad you dug it, though.

And I'd call it thrash, although it does throw in a lot of spacey prog stuff as well. Kind of like Sadus...IN SPACE.

Mokrap of Croton
12-22-2009, 10:02 PM
Whereas for me, it makes me immediately wary. Shitty music recorded badly is still shitty. I don't think non-existent production values (willfully imposed or not) makes a band any more credible regardless of genre. I'm not ascribing any of these attitudes to you. It's just a hot button for me, so I had a jumping off point.

Well, obviously shitty music sounds shitty, no matter what sort of production it has. But, for me, even great metal sounds weaker if the production is ultra digital and sterile (with some few exceptions).

Some music just sounds better with some grit. I generally prefer "rougher" production jobs to the ultra modern, pro-tools sound.

Matchstick
12-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Well, obviously shitty music sounds shitty, no matter what sort of production it has. But, for me, even great metal sounds weaker if the production is ultra digital and sterile (with some few exceptions).

I think I'd lean more towards a cleaner production than not (although I don't think I'd say I'm a fan of "the ultra modern, pro-tools sound"). I don't want the production standing in the way of what I'm hearing or, more importantly, the things I generally listen to metal for: power and rhythm. Too many times I've heard things like the early Florida death metal recordings that, to me, just sapped all the oomph out of the music. Admittedly, for some bands, it was never there in the first place, which is why a lot of hyperspeed metal bores me. They end up sacrificing dynamic range, finesse, and groove for a million notes in a few mid-range bands of sound which leaves me cold most of the time.

shivam
12-23-2009, 12:23 AM
and now for something completely different... (http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-All-Holiday-Tribute-Metallica/dp/B000OYLT4I/ref=pd_sim_m_4)

Mokrap of Croton
12-23-2009, 10:01 AM
@ Matchstick: I actually agree with you on a lot of the early Florida production jobs! A lot of those just fall flat and have no bite. When I say I like a "rough" production job, I mean that I like it raw and abrasive, not just muddy.

I think that the slick, modern sound can work for some stuff (the latest by Gojira and Meshuggah are cool, for instance).

I think we might agree a lot more than it seems like we do.

I'll give you some examples of production jobs I really like and also consider "rough" but not shitty.

First up is Black Breath (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa8lhTStlec&feature=related) by Repulsion. Dirty and raw, but decent separation, the drums are clear, and the guitars have an amazing tone. I could accept an argument that the bass sound in unacceptable, but I think of it as one of the charms of this album. Raw, but certainly not lacking on the power and rhythm, right?

Second, try Hebosagil (http://www.myspace.com/hebosagil). The song "Big Sun" is a great example, in my mind, of a gritty production helping the atmosphere of the music much more than a clean one would.

And now for shitty productions. First is a production that one might call rough, but I would call "shitty." One of the first albums I think of when someone mentions a lo-fi production that is hampering what would otherwise be good songs: Anything off Ageless Venomous (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=568iPuFmOII) by Krisiun.

As for a cleaned up production killing (or at least hurting) an album's killer instinct, I point to "Crowned Unholy" by the Crown. The original version, "Crowned in Terror," has a much more vicious feel to it (I'm ignoring the vocalist change, because it isn't germane and I like both dudes).

Matchstick
12-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I think we might agree a lot more than it seems like we do.

I was coming to that same conclusion. ;) Regardless, I like batting around these ideas with people agreement or not.

Mokrap of Croton
12-23-2009, 10:24 PM
Oh, absolutely! I like kicking that stuff around, too. Until I joined TT, the entirety of my "batting ideas around an internet forum" time was spent on a metal forum.

In other news, my addiction to that Vektor album has now reached full-blown dependency.

Mokrap of Croton
12-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Just discovered Impetuous Ritual. They don't have a Myspace (too heavy for INTERNET), but you can hear a sample here (http://www.profoundlorerecords.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=14&Itemid=33) if you scroll down to "Ceremonial Disembowelment."

The band features two members from Portal and is part of this new movement of worshipping/surpassing early Incantation in mind-fuckingly suffocating, sepulchral death metal. Saw a review at Blabbermouth that, while being the typical boring-ass Blabbermouth review, name-dropped some other bands in this style I will be checking out.

If you dig early Incantation, Immolation, or stuff like Dead Congregation give it a shot.

Alastor
12-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I feel this deserves to be posted here. The Rev, drummer for Avenged Sevenfold, died last night.
(http://www.ocregister.com/news/sullivan-226142-beach-drummer.html)
What the fuck that totally sucks.

Ronnie Van Murphy
12-28-2009, 11:54 PM
Never liked A7X, but that's a bummer anyway. He's gone to Bat Country now...

Mokrap of Croton
12-29-2009, 09:35 AM
Sorry to see the young dude go. A7X were one of those bands that were good as a gateway to get kids into real metal, I think.

adamzap
12-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Doooooooooom

http://www.myspace.com/shadowofthetorturer

Does anyone have recommendations for me similar to this?

Thanks

Matchstick
12-29-2009, 07:01 PM

I presume you already know Black Sabbath. They're the proto-doom band, for my money. However, for my more contemporary doom needs, I generally go for either Trouble (http://www.myspace.com/troublechicago) or Candlemass (http://www.myspace.com/candlemass). Neither of them have vocals like the band you linked, but they're definitely doomy and heavy. Other folks might point you to bands like Down (http://www.myspace.com/downnola), Electric Wizard (http://www.myspace.com/electricwizarddorsetdoom), Eyehategod (http://www.myspace.com/eyehategod), or Cathedral (http://www.myspace.com/cathedral).

Calorie Mate
12-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Matchstick is good people.

Ronnie Van Murphy
12-29-2009, 07:13 PM
So I've been listening to Trivium here, because a lot of people who know their shit about metal tell me they sound like Metallica. I'm listening to their 2003 album right now. They don't sound a thing like Metallica. Am I missing something?

Stephen
12-29-2009, 08:03 PM
It's not you--The people that say Trivium is the new Metallica are dumb for a bunch of different reasons. The biggest two being that A.) they don't sound alike and B.) Metallica was good.

Matchstick's list of doom bands is a great place to start (god do I love Trouble), but for funeral doom like the band you linked, there isn't a better example than Ahab's The Divinity of Oceans (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FYYs9-sgy4). Evoken's Quietus is pretty bad ass too, though they use keyboards. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dOFLcQ1BE8)

Thergothon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX87o_roTD8) is one of the originators, but I never could stand their buuuurrrrp vocal style. A lot of people swear by Wormphlegm (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZkOO8-A_mw) as well, but I hate their vocalist too. The dude tries so hard to sound evil and in agony, but he just comes off as a silly cartoon character to me.

Ronnie Van Murphy
12-29-2009, 08:07 PM
It's not you--The people that say Trivium is the new Metallica are dumb for a bunch of different reasons. The biggest two being that they don't sound alike and Metallica was good.

I like what I've heard so far though. Even though they're nothing super-special.

Stephen
12-29-2009, 08:24 PM
I think "nothing super-special" sums them up just fine. The pendulum on Trivium swings way too far in both directions. The Next Metallica tag is always dumb, no matter who it's applied to. There are also a lot of dumb underground dudes who hate them because they're successful and not creative/heavy/other-stupid-complaint enough.

shivam
12-29-2009, 11:31 PM
man, i love metallica, and i'm always looking for a band that comes close to their style of melodic metal with comprehensible lyrics, and i've yet to find it.

Mokrap of Croton
12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
@ Adamzap: I think Yob (http://www.myspace.com/yobdoom) might tickle your fancy.

Also, I'd suggest The Arm and Sword of a Bastard God (http://www.myspace.com/thearmandsword). Not funeral doom, really, but heavy as hell and very thick. They have a lo-fi looseness to them that I find really hot, as well.

adamzap
12-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, all. Can't wait to check them out.

Also, even more thanks to Stephen for suggesting Ulver a while back. I think Ulver somehow got me to Fen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8EdHK9BilM) (more (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR7vEyVeG_M)).

Matchstick is good people.

For a while I was like...Matchstick...what an odd name for a doom metal band.

nunix
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
Christopher Lee does symphonic metal album (http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jan/05/christopher-lee-symphonic-metal-album).

It's an album about Charlemagne (http://www.charlemagneproductions.org/content/music-samples).

This is awesome.

Stephen
01-05-2010, 07:40 PM
That is terrible and amazing all at once.

Mokrap of Croton
01-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Old, formerly cool British space cadet makes hideous spectacle of himself doing "symphonic" metal concept album.

It was horrible enough when Priest did it, this is going to be hilarious.

Mokrap of Croton
02-02-2010, 10:19 AM
Fuckin' A! (http://www.myspace.com/gridecore)

Czech band throws thrash, grindcore, and hardcore punk into a blender. Alabama man's head explodes. Keeps listening anyway.

Seriously great stuff from a band I'd never heard of. I got their latest album and it last week and it's been in heavy rotation since. Bouncy, athletic whackiness meets morning-wood jack off speed-picking insanity.

They'll be at MDF this year, too. Hopefully I will, as well. There will be a lot of running in circles.

chud_666
02-05-2010, 08:54 PM
So Mayhem is coing to town. My experience with Black Metal kinda begins and ends with Gorgoroth. I'm going to this show and want to get PUMPED. What albums are required listening?

wumpwoast
02-05-2010, 09:18 PM
Can't recommend Mayhem albums specifically but I'd point you at "Transylvanian Hunger" by Darkthrone, and Emperor's "In The Nightside Eclipse" and "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk".

I like my black metal with a heavy dose of cross-genre crazy, though -- which makes me love Arcturus "Aspera Hiems Symphonia" and "La Masquerade Infernale", and especially Solefald's "Neonism".

Stephen
02-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, Arcturus and Solefald have done some great stuff. Akercoke does some cool things with black metal too.

So Mayhem is coing to town. My experience with Black Metal kinda begins and ends with Gorgoroth. I'm going to this show and want to get PUMPED. What albums are required listening?

I'm not a huge fan of traditional black metal, but De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas is considered the quintessential Mayhem album.

Calorie Mate
02-06-2010, 01:36 AM

Listen to Burzum. :P

chud_666
02-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Apparentally the show was cancelled. Boo-urzum

Abominable K
02-07-2010, 01:14 AM
The Megadeth/Testament/Exodus show is coming to D.C.! I'm familiar with all of the former two's stuff, as well as Exodus' early albums. Is there any one after Fabulous Disaster I should listen to?

AJR
02-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Devin Towsend is coming down here next month.

I'm pretty excited.

Matchstick
02-07-2010, 09:12 AM
The Megadeth/Testament/Exodus show is coming to D.C.! I'm familiar with all of the former two's stuff, as well as Exodus' early albums. Is there any one after Fabulous Disaster I should listen to?

I picked up Tempo of the Damned when it came out. It's got some good stuff on it, but I was never a huge Exodus fan to being with.

Calorie Mate
02-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Yeah, I'm also not a big Exodus fan. Sorry.

Mokrap of Croton
02-15-2010, 08:13 AM
I've always found Exodus to be kind of a sugar rush thing. "Oh, neat" followed shortly by "boring." The vocals, by every vocalist they've had, kinda suck, too.

I have some new grind on my hands: "Original Sound Version" by Discordance Axis. A big collection of stuff from splits and a little live stuff thrown in near the end. I'm a big fan of everything John Chang does, basically, so I'm very happy with it. AAAAAA RAAA AAAAAAA, indeed, my man.

Abominable K
02-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Paul Baloff manages to shift between annoying and decent, but I liked Steve Souza as a vocalist better. But whatever, I don't listen to Thrash for the vocals.

Mokrap of Croton
02-15-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm a pretty big thrash nut, but for some reason Exodus just never clicked with me. I think maybe I'll give 'em another shot someday. I'm guessing "Bonded..." is the one to hit?

Abominable K
02-15-2010, 01:22 PM
I liked both Bonded and Pleasures of the Flesh, although Pleasures is more of a mid-paced affair.

Matchstick
02-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Bonded by Blood is considered the definitive Exodus album by most folks.

Mokrap of Croton
02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
Mid-paced is less likely to hook me, so I'll go with "Bonded..." when they get their second try. Thanks for the tips.

Mokrap of Croton
02-15-2010, 10:44 PM
So, I was listening to At the Gates today.

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/4704/therealone.th.png (http://img651.imageshack.us/i/therealone.png/)

Abominable K
02-16-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm listening to random Meshuggah songs right now and despite it being the antithesis of everything I like about metal (too groovy, lack of actual riffage), it's somehow working for me. I think it's because I'm a sucker for odd time signatures.

Matchstick
02-16-2010, 07:44 PM
When pop and metal collide. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKeA3-n27t8&feature=related)

Mokrap of Croton
02-16-2010, 09:05 PM
I'm listening to random Meshuggah songs right now and despite it being the antithesis of everything I like about metal (too groovy, lack of actual riffage), it's somehow working for me. I think it's because I'm a sucker for odd time signatures.

I actually like a good bit of the shit off their last album, despite disliking them in general (for the reasons you give).

Stephen
02-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Hey man, Meshuggah has guitars with eight strings on them. 8! Jesus dude, that's a lot of strings.

Seriously though, Nothing/Catch 33/I are crap and I'm not all that fond of Obzen or DEI, but Chaosphere is super badass. It's a pure subversion of groove--it sounds like you should be able to headbang non-stop, but you fucking can't because of the werido time signatures and Fredrik Thordenal's crazy guitar solos. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Prong!

PS: That "Blinded By Fear" fan art is awesome.

Alixsar
02-17-2010, 12:28 AM
You guys! You guys! YOU GUYS!!!!!

HATEBEAK (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatebeak)

OH MY GODDDDDDDD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYeximOhaUk)

Edit: OH MY GOODDDDDDDD YOuUUUUU GUYSSSSSS

Caninus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caninus_%28band%29)

OH MY GOOODDDDDDDDDDDDD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaewme4HjY)

I have seriously not laughed this hard in years.

Shagohod
02-17-2010, 02:36 AM
Caninus even has drummer Richard Christy from Death/Iced Earth. I'm digging on the new Ihsahn and Dark Funeral albums. Ihsahn is going back to the (later) Emperor sound. Not a bad thing at all

Calorie Mate
02-17-2010, 11:56 AM
You guys! You guys! YOU GUYS!!!!!

OH MY GODDDDDDDD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYeximOhaUk)

Edit: OH MY GOODDDDDDDD YOuUUUUU GUYSSSSSS

Caninus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caninus_%28band%29)

OH MY GOOODDDDDDDDDDDDD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxaewme4HjY)

I have seriously not laughed this hard in years.

Welcome to, like, 2004, dude.

Alixsar
02-17-2010, 01:05 PM
Welcome to, like, 2004, dude.

Thanks. It's The Best Year™. I am serious about not having laughed that hard ever. I was choking I was laughing so hard.

ravinoff
02-17-2010, 01:30 PM

I prefer Death Metal Rooster (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43JOxLa5MM).

Mokrap of Croton
02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
PS: That "Blinded By Fear" fan art is awesome.

It's "All Life Ends," but thanks.

Matchstick
02-17-2010, 04:34 PM
Seriously though, Nothing/Catch 33/I are crap and I'm not all that fond of Obzen or DEI, but Chaosphere is super badass. It's a pure subversion of groove--it sounds like you should be able to headbang non-stop, but you fucking can't because of the werido time signatures and Fredrik Thordenal's crazy guitar solos.

I didn't enjoy Chaosphere upon first listening (and I don't have it on my computer to check on it again to see if my opinion has changed), but I like Catch 33 because it is so completely insane. I like some of Obzen including "Combustion" (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://popup.lala.com/popup/937030201852827364&ei=Oop8S83iNoTIlAfl_P22BQ&sa=X&oi=music_play_track&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0CAgQ0wQoADAA&usg=AFQjCNEqWjHriJPd-52CWjR6jZfCjyqguQ) and "Bleed" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc98u-eGzlc).

I'm digging on the new Ihsahn and Dark Funeral albums. Ihsahn is going back to the (later) Emperor sound. Not a bad thing at all

Hrm. I'm not sure what to think about that. I'm not a huge black metal fan, although I can't say I've given much of it a fair shake. It just rubs me the wrong way off the bat usually. However, I did enjoy Angl, so I was looking to pick the new one up.

Calorie Mate
02-17-2010, 04:37 PM
What about it rubs you the wrong way, exactly?

Matchstick
02-17-2010, 04:58 PM
What about it rubs you the wrong way, exactly?

Usually, it's the vocals. I'm very finicky about vocals. Yes, I realize that's funny coming from somebody that just posted 2 Meshuggah songs as something he likes. The screechy things that a number of BM bands do is really irritating. Additionally, I prefer my metal usually to have discernable grooves, which a lot of the blast-beat type sections in BM (and other subgenres) don't, IMO. A lot of the BM I've heard sounds like shit production-wise, which can also be a big hurdle for me. The "Florida sound" that a lot of early Death Metal bands had is a perfect example of that. Finally, I'm often put off by keyboards in metal. I don't necessarily have a problem with keyboards per se, but their use in a lot of bands just seems to smooth the songs out (see previous comments re: groove) and/or they choose terrible sounds and are mixed too high.

TL;DR The drums sound like shit and so do the vocals :p

Matchstick
02-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Mike Portnoy to play drums on the next Avenged Sevenfold record. (http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=53145) That's unexpected.

Mokrap of Croton
02-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Mike Portnoy to play drums on the next Avenged Sevenfold record. (http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=53145) That's putting old mayonnaise on a shitburger.

Totally.

Shagohod
02-18-2010, 04:05 AM
I prefer my metal usually to have discernable grooves, which a lot of the blast-beat type sections in BM (and other subgenres) don't, IMO.

There's plenty of discernable groove in blast beats. Just listen to Origin and Hate Eternal. A lot of times it just isn't as obvious if the vocals are doing straight time instead of grooving with the instruments. Check out the song "666 voices inside" by Dark Funeral. Good stuff

Matchstick
02-18-2010, 08:48 PM
There's plenty of discernable groove in blast beats.

I think you and I have very different definitions of what "groove" means.

Just listen to Origin and Hate Eternal. A lot of times it just isn't as obvious if the vocals are doing straight time instead of grooving with the instruments. Check out the song "666 voices inside" by Dark Funeral.

I checked out that song and while it's fine, I don't think there's anything like a groove in it. For me, groove means things like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo2oXg2BsLw), this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijfCXBSqKAc), and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=labytsb3gfI)

Shagohod
02-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Eh, only the first one of those links had any groove to me. If you want pure groove then you're better off with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azL4go6a_NI&feature=related) To me, groove basically means you can bang your head to it real good. You can do that with straight metal too (Angel of Death for example). So yes, I suppose our definition of groove is different. I still believe you can have plenty of groove in blasts though. Blasts are weird because even though the bass and snare drum are the loudest part about them, it is everything else around them that gives them their flavor. A blast alone is just a blast, but if it has a sweet guitar riff then that makes all the difference

Stephen
02-20-2010, 09:28 PM
The problem is, the word groove has a couple different meanings. On one hand, there's groove metal, one of those kinda, sorta, almost-but-not-quite genres. Bands like Origin and Dark Funeral aren't part of the groove lineage, and don't fit in with Pantera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkFqg5wAuFk) and Prong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl-5TrGakWY) and Illdisposed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqTCsDblo5E) and Gojira (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aOy7bEkbCU) and the rest of the bands that get tagged as groove.

On the other hand, groove have become a blanket term for bands with strict, repetitive patterns that encourage head banging. Origin and Dark Funeral are certainly that, but it's a really nebulous way to categorize music. The big problem? This is one of those silly genre arguments where no one wins. I mean, shit, when I hear the word groovy, all I can see is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHgQBB2tLU).

PS: Blast beats can be cool, but most of time they're used as a crutch for bands that can't write interesting songs. It sounds impressive, sure, but it's cotton candy.

Matchstick
02-20-2010, 10:16 PM
I mean, shit, when I hear the word groovy, all I can see is this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juHgQBB2tLU).

Whereas, I think of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-bZC9Dp62Y#t=0m40s).

Meditative_Zebra
02-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Mike Portnoy to play drums on the next Avenged Sevenfold record. (http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=53145) That's unexpected.

Wow. He sure keeps busy, it would seem.

Mokrap of Croton
02-21-2010, 07:46 AM
@ Stephanie: I dug that whole post until the PS, haha.

PS: Songs over 1.5 minutes long can be cool, but most of time they're used as a crutch for bands that can't write interesting songs. It sounds impressive, sure, but it's cotton candy.