PDA

View Full Version : Submit your resume now for a position on the board of SpiteAir!

Sven
11-24-2008, 08:32 AM
Okay, this is going to be a REALLY long-form LP, as a way to make up for my X-Com flameout... with the advantage that, this time, I'm picking an SNES game so no dicking around with screenshots and being driven insane as a result.

Yes, Let's Play Aerobiz Supersonic, easily the best economic strategy game on the SNES and one of the best games on the system overall.

BUT! There is a catch! This one's going to be done all high concept lawyer-like. So, it will be up to YOU, the TTers, to run the airline, with me serving simply as legal counsel to your airline and advising you of options and potential business opportunities (read: basically doing what the game's actual board members do, only with more detail than "you may want to buy some 747s."

So, all interested in a board position, 10,000 shares of SpiteAir stock*, and knowledge that there's no "the world economy is going to hell in a handbasket" event in the 2000-2020 scenario, apply below.

DETAILS: We'll be going with scenario 2, "Air Travel Takes Off", simply because I hate the first one.

* NOT AN ACTUAL STOCK OFFERING. Just in case someone refers this to the SEC.

PapillonReel
11-24-2008, 09:06 AM
Hmm... sounds interesting. What's Aerobiz Supersonic like? I haven't heard about the game until now, so... yeah.

Ample Vigour
11-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Aerobiz Supersonic

Sign me up.

Loki
11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
If we sign up do we get to fly first class for free? Complimentary cocktails and foot rests than extend waaaaaaaayyyyyyy out to here? I'll be accepting a wet towellet like it's nobody's business.

Sven
11-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Basically, let me know what qualifies you to run an airline. I'll have a student sort through the best responses and pick... well, let's say anywhere between four and eight members of the board for SpiteAir.

Sign me up.

Frankly, I had figured on you, AV.

If we sign up do we get to fly first class for free?

Depends on how the rest of the board feels about your lack of austerity, really.

Elfir
11-24-2008, 12:26 PM
What do you expect our resumes to look like, anyway? I assume you will not be checking references. That'll make things easier...

Octopus Prime
11-24-2008, 12:41 PM
Usually I prefer my plane games to revolve around shooting the holy hell out of aliens, nazis and, occasionally, transparent Russian stand-ins/foreign nationalities, but I'm willing to give one that's non-violent in nature a shot.

Sven
11-24-2008, 12:52 PM
What do you expect our resumes to look like, anyway? I assume you will not be checking references. That'll make things easier...

Think of it as a creative writing exercise. :)

EG "Manager, Corneria Airship Lines, 2000-2006."

In all seriousness, all applications with at least one good line about why they should be in charge of a company so big that all expenses are divided by 1000 just so that the SNES can fit the numbers in will be accepted. I'd even be willing to take "well, I've never worked for Citibank, so I'm automatically more qualified than anyone there...."

Red Hedgehog
11-24-2008, 02:00 PM
This game is awesome!

I want to set our headquarters in LA for those juicy North America - Asia flights.

I remember that I picked up a Genesis copy (to go with my SNES) copy a couple years ago and when I put it in at 11pm to test it, I didn't end up turning it off until 3am (when some bastard airline was putting me out of business!)

Sven
11-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I remember that I picked up a Genesis copy (to go with my SNES) copy a couple years ago and when I put it in at 11pm to test it, I didn't end up turning it off until 3am (when some bastard airline was putting me out of business!)

This is one game where it's clearly better to play on an emulator, since you can eliminate all the horrible text speed problems (true for most KOEI games, come to think of it). I used to be able to turn around a full game in one hours' worth of play on the train ride home.

The board's first decision will be which hub to go with (okay, FIRST decision will be colour, but I assume it'll be TF green). Personally, I prefer Chicago, since that's the best balance between NA - Asia and NA - Europe, which are the big money routes. But I'll leave that up to everyone on the board; I assume there's a listing on GameFAQs of all potential hubs.

If this works, the next game will be trying to win starting from Delhi or something.

Ample Vigour
11-24-2008, 02:08 PM
In Aerobiz, I ran a fat loss on every single Concorde flight my company ran. I sucked it up and kept running them because hey, Concorde.

I also promise to engage in corporate governance according to strict Friedman guidelines, but only because it pisses people off.

Red Hedgehog
11-24-2008, 03:02 PM
This is one game where it's clearly better to play on an emulator, since you can eliminate all the horrible text speed problems (true for most KOEI games, come to think of it). I used to be able to turn around a full game in one hours' worth of play on the train ride home.

Couldn't you press a button to skip to the end of the text? I seem to remember doing this a lot. That said, I think I actually played through two games in that time frame.

The board's first decision will be which hub to go with (okay, FIRST decision will be colour, but I assume it'll be TF green). Personally, I prefer Chicago, since that's the best balance between NA - Asia and NA - Europe, which are the big money routes. But I'll leave that up to everyone on the board; I assume there's a listing on GameFAQs of all potential hubs.

Dude, don't make your LP readers do work. At least give them a list of hubs, if not a brief discussion on what ones tend to be better than others.

I actually think Chicago is a poor choice since a starting city on the edge of a region makes it easier to do long/medium routes to other regions. Hence my preference for Los Angeles in the North American region. I like LA because that makes it very easy to go to Tokyo, Singapore, and Mexico City - all very populous cities in other regions.

So yeah, as much as I hate LA, it's where our hub should be! That or Cairo. :)

Sven
11-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Dude, don't make your LP readers do work. At least give them a list of hubs, if not a brief discussion on what ones tend to be better than others.

Oh, don't worry, I'll post it.

I actually think Chicago is a poor choice since a starting city on the edge of a region makes it easier to do long/medium routes to other regions. Hence my preference for Los Angeles in the North American region. I like LA because that makes it very easy to go to Tokyo, Singapore, and Mexico City - all very populous cities in other regions.

Chicago gets all of those without a hitch (heck, most of those can fly 747s to New York), but it makes the Asia routes more valuable, which is why I like it. You only really get hurt in North America because you lose the cross-continental flights, but really you can usually win North America by maxing out Miami and Hawaii. My thing is that the only way Europe really becomes cost-effective quicky - since it's all short hops - is that you need a good haul from North America. Really, the best option is Tokyo - Paris - NY (two MASSIVE 747 money hauls out of Tokyo) and hope that you can negate any advantage the CPU takes over the Atlantic.

Also, it's VERY rare that the CPU sets up shop in Chicago unless they start there. That's a big help in terms of gates / hotels / etc.

Although, again, this is all part of the genius of the game - it's so deep that it's easy to argue stuff like this for hours.

dwolfe
11-24-2008, 04:28 PM
OH god pick me pick me pick me!

Edit:

Qualifications: I'm actually applying on behalf of my client, illustrious hobo Ponzi-Scheme Jeremiah Ponzi (http://www.e-hobo.com/hoboes/135), as seen below. My client's name makes him perfectly suitable for inspiring both consumer and investor confidence. Fly Ponzi, everyone else does it!

http://www.e-hobo.com/images/hoboes/325705655.jpg

Destil
11-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Name: Destil

Current Job: Writing revenue integrity software used by for many of the world's largest airlines including AA, United, Delta and Quantis.

Previous Airline Experience: I've been on a plane not once, but twice in my life.

Education: Rough

Why I'm the ideal candidate: Robots love me!

dangerhelvetica
11-24-2008, 06:37 PM
I played this once! It was kind of confusing, and I didn't get to fly any planes. Oh yeah, for the board, I nominate... this guy!
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/1/e/f/1efd5eec001973a2df48b99a3daf3af6.gif

Sven
11-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Name: Destil

Current Job: Writing revenue integrity software used by for many of the world's largest airlines including AA, United, Delta and Quantis.

Previous Airline Experience: I've been on a plane not once, but twice in my life.

Education: Rough

Why I'm the ideal candidate: Robots love me!

Hell, you're OVERQUALIFIED.

ThornGhost
11-25-2008, 10:17 AM
Okay, IDEA: but this runs the risk of the whole thing getting too complicated. Still, there is no progress without risk.
Start a two player game of Aerobiz and let's form two boards running two competing airlines.

SpiteAir and FrogAir maybe?

Shadax
11-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Name: CJ Awesome
Previous Employers: All out of business
Education: Wasted my student loans on video games and alcohol
Times mistakenly detained as a terrorist: 2
Spent more time in the mental hospital than at work in the past six months? Yes
Previous airline experience: I know all the lyrics to Neutral Milk Hotel's In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

Sven
11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Okay, IDEA: but this runs the risk of the whole thing getting too complicated. Still, there is no progress without risk.
Start a two player game of Aerobiz and let's form two boards running two competing airlines.

SpiteAir and FrogAir maybe?

Good idea, but for the sake of expediency (and education, as some board members won't be vets of the game) let's hold off on that for the moment. If doing Scenario 2 works, we'll split the board for the big money game - namely, the joy that is Scenario 3.

Elfir
11-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Name: L. Fear
Level 8 Airline Passenger
Level 3 International Airline Passenger (Prestige Class)
+3 Resistence to Airsickness
Times mistakenly detained as a terrorist: 2
Education: Yes
Current Job: Yes
Starting Equipment: Overhead compartment shaped bag, lunch box, headphones
Special: Can equip female-only stewardess armor

Octopus Prime
11-25-2008, 10:55 AM
Name: Octopus Prime
Current Occupation: Helping to save lives by selling food.
Previous Experience: Watched Airplane! and its sequel on multiple occasions.
Special Abilities: +4 Fire Resistance, +7 to Barter and Speech Skills. Immune to Petrification.
Times Mistakenly detained as a Terrorist: None, but here's hoping!

Brickroad
11-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Name: Dr. Horatio Q. Brickroad III
Current Occupation: peemeister to the stars
Education: passed out the graham crackers during snack time
Hat: fedora
Special Abilities: only need one more stamp on my card before I get a free sandwich
Middle Initial Stands For: Qualified

PapillonReel
11-25-2008, 11:14 AM
-COVER LETTER-

Tuesday November 25, 2008

Mr. Sven *******
Chairman of the Board
SpiteAir Intercontinental Airlines
http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/member.php?u=445
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Dear Mr. Sven,

I am applying to your ad in the classifieds advertising positions on the Board of SpiteAir airlines, posted in the Gamespite Daily newspaper. I was referred to this position by a close acquaintance, Mr. [redacted], whom has had previous experience working with you personally.

I've had a large amount of experience in the aerospace industry, both as an intellectual and as a pilot, and am able to use that knowledge in an executive role to further the progress of the company. As you can see from my resume, I have a large amount of experience working in the various industries, and would be of great value on the Board of Directors.

You can find my resume included below. I would very much like to arrange for an interview at the earliest time convenient.

Sincerely,
PapillonReel

Mr. PapillonReel
http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/member.php?u=422
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
melomancy@yahoo.ca

-RESUME-

PapillonReel
http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/member.php?u=422 • The Return of Talking Time • (***) ***-****
melomancy@yahoo.ca

- - - - - -

EDUCATION
SCHOOL OF HARD KNOCKS

BA in Aerospace Science.*
Have experience working with various airline board members.
Finished at top of the class.

- - - - - -

WORK EXPERIENCE

Tour Guide - HYLIAN WORLD TOURS LMT.

Worked May 2 - June 1.
Intimate knowledge of rural customs and mores in several dozen European countries.
Trained in self-defense and swordplay.
An adept problem-solver with a long memory.
Good with people, having experience in negotiations and diplomacy.

Captain - ORELUS RESISTANCE FORCE

Served June 22 - November 30.
Experience in crew management, dragon feeding and both beginner and advanced military tactics.
Helped a struggling revolution succeed, overthrowing a militaristic empire and saving the known world as we know it.
Has flown a ship made of solid rock into the upper levels of the ionosphere.

Pilot - CORNERIAN AIR FORCE

Served October 6th - November 30th
Expert pilot serving in Lylat War 1.
Fought Andross to defeat three separate times.
A team player - worked with allies of various ethnicities and backgrounds with little to no complaint.
Finished service at wars end, worked as mercenary for several months.

- - - - - -

PERSONAL

Is fluent in English and can speak minor amounts of both French and Italian, is personally trained in various instruments and has engaged in free-form writing in spare time. Also has indirectly supported various charity aid groups such as FES-AID, if not financially so.

*Note: The contents of this resume are largely fictional, and, aside from the personal information, are not to be taken seriously. PapillonReel has no actual experience in the aerospace industry, and is mostly exaggerating for comedic effect. Also, PapillonReel is a huge nerd with an ego, so ignore any and all references to his other LPs.

Ample Vigour
11-25-2008, 12:10 PM
D:

Damn, son. You're wasted on the travel business; you know that?

PapillonReel
11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Damn, son. You're wasted on the travel business; you know that?

I just like to do what I do best, sir. *salutes*

ThornGhost
11-25-2008, 12:18 PM
Seeing as how one's experience and education are generally irrelevant compared to one's last name when trying to apply for a board of directors, let us say that for this experiment my name is actually Hughbert Kennedy-Rockefeller IV.
I drank my way through both Harvard and Yale and have recently taken to wearing a monocle. I often dress as if I am on my way or just returning from a polo game, but have never played polo. I have a laundry list of failed business ventures littering my past, which my team of lawyers is currently in the process of acquiring bailout money from the government as compensation for.
Even if I am not on the board, I will show up as if I am and drink martinis during each executive meeting, clapping members on the back after each session in camaraderie and occasionally adopting a faux-British accent.

Sven
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Is fluent in English and can speak minor amounts of both French and Italian,

Sorry, it's company policy that all governance-related personnel be fluent in Lefeinish. However, we offer remedial classes with a Dr. U. Nne - he's apparently quite famous - which are mandatory for those which do not speak the language. Hazards of incorporating in a tin-pot little Ivalician country, I suppose. Your experience with the Cornerian Air Force, however, is noteworthy and places you highly in our search, as it's always good to have a token military man on a board to provide an air of respectability in the red states.

I have a laundry list of failed business ventures littering my past, which my team of lawyers is currently in the process of acquiring bailout money from the government as compensation for.

Pledge seed money and a seat is yours!

Special Abilities: only need one more stamp on my card before I get a free sandwich

This would greatly cut down on our in-flight meal* costs.

* - No, you don't actually have to worry about that. For a game where you DO, go play the PC sim AirBucks (which is circa 1990).

Previous Experience: Watched Airplane! and its sequel on multiple occasions.

But did you order the fish?

Red Hedgehog
11-25-2008, 01:50 PM
But did you order the fish?

I did not, but I forgot to include on my application that I speak jive.

MCBanjoMike
11-25-2008, 06:47 PM
* - No, you don't actually have to worry about that. For a game where you DO, go play the PC sim AirBucks (which is circa 1990)

Oh man, I played me the hell out of some AirBucks. Vick's Viscounts for life, yo!

Destil
11-25-2008, 07:17 PM
I called this meeting here today to propose increasing our already outstanding 50% overbooking policy to 90%, effectively ensuring that each and every plane take off full! The minor annoyance of passengers unable to get onto flights they bought tickets for will be trivial compared to the potential in revenue loss from no-shows.

Wait, what do you mean we don't have enough space in the conference room for all the attendees? Alright.... well, half of board can attend the meeting, the rest is on standby for the next time we have something to discuss.

dwolfe
11-25-2008, 07:33 PM
Damn it guys, way to overshadow us hobo's, who will work for way way less than all you fancy-britches with your HOUSES, and CARS and RESUMES...and...and...BATHTUBS.

And you don't have hands-on experience with stuffing as many people into railroad cars and cargo planes as the hobo-class. Salt of the earth, I tell ya. Once stuffed 16 people into a bus bathroom stall and still had room to shut the door so we wouldn't get kicked off the bus. I tell ya, all that wasted space with legroom, elbowroom, breathingroom...all money waiting to be made!

But only with that special Ponzi touch.

- P. J. Ponzi

*True story. note that I was standing on a cabinet with my back against the ceiling rather than being one of the unfortunates down at toilet level.

Octopus Prime
11-26-2008, 01:23 AM
Is there anyway we could make the flight attendants more... abrasive?

People already get on to flights expecting a tedious, if not unpleasant, experience. We should FOCUS on this!

Ample Vigour
11-26-2008, 02:46 AM
People already get on to flights expecting a tedious, if not unpleasant, experience. We should FOCUS on this!

I propose we hire entirely from the ranks of thrice-divorced ex-showgirls.

ajr82
11-26-2008, 10:45 AM
Basically, let me know what qualifies you to run an airline. I'll have a student sort through the best responses and pick... well, let's say anywhere between four and eight members of the board for SpiteAir.

Hey, I'M an articling student! In fact, I'm at work RIGHT NOW!

And just in case I don't get THAT plum job:

ajr82- http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/member.php?u=685

Education:
- Read Michael Crichton's Airframe, 2000

Aviation Experience:
- Ridden in jet airplanes
- Ridden in non-jet airplanes
- Experience with flight-simulating amusement park rides, both swing-around and shake-your-seat varieties

Tie Colours:
- Blue
- Green
- Purple
- Black

Sven
11-26-2008, 11:48 AM
I propose we hire entirely from the ranks of thrice-divorced ex-showgirls.

Wait, you mean airlines DON'T?

Tie Colours:
- Blue
- Green
- Purple
- Black

What, no yellow? You call yourself an articling student without a yellow tie???

... kids these days....

EDIT: Okay, screw a "manageable" board - everyone who replies in this thread by Friday will be a director, with a majority of votes cast in any vote being enough for a motion to be passed.

As a result, first motion: WHEREAS the Corporate Colour of SpiteAir LLC will be _________________________.

(Pick a colour, any colour - at least, any that can be rendered with the SNES)

Octopus Prime
11-26-2008, 12:44 PM
Pink, a furious pink that will sear the eyes of our competitors.

Loki
11-26-2008, 12:51 PM
LOKI “REMBRANDT” FRANKENSTEIN
213 Octopus Way • Denver, Co • 80247
Home: (555) 635-9229, Cell: (555) 922-9536 Cooltendo@gmail.com

Objective:
Make some money and maybe not have a plane crash into the superbowl.

SUMMARY: Remarkably gifted robber baron with huge background in the day-to-day management of thousands of underpaid and overworked child laborers and supervision of a sycophantic Board of Directors.

Summary of Qualifications

Over twelve days experience.
Designed the Elgin E-474 and rescued daughter from terrorists even when nobody else even believed I had a daughter and thought that I was just crazy.
Profound experience with collaborative or consensus-based decision-making for personal gain.
Exceptional familiarity with airplanes, helicopters, and those awesome jets that can take off straight up.
Can recognize sixteen different brands of airline peanuts by texture alone.
Ability to throw spectacular temper-tantrums if things don’t go my way.

I will be an invaluable asset to your crappy airline and I didn’t want to be a part of it anyway. Shut up! You’re stupid, you stupid-stupid face.*

*Please disregard if you’re interested in hiring me.

Destil
11-26-2008, 12:56 PM
As a result, first motion: WHEREAS the Corporate Colour of SpiteAir LLC will be _________________________.
Toasty Frog Green, of course.

PapillonReel
11-26-2008, 12:58 PM

Naturally. What better choice is there?

Sven
11-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Naturally. What better choice is there?

Pink? Purple? I don't know, I'm not the artistic one.

Ample Vigour
11-27-2008, 04:09 PM

Elfir
11-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Pink, the color of a DEATH frog.

PapillonReel
11-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Pink? Purple? I don't know, I'm not the artistic one.

The idea is that, since we're running SpiteAir as an extension of Gamespite Industries Inc., we should use one of the company's colors (green, orange) for the SpiteAir logo for extra familiarity. Best way to get awareness is to borrow the success of the parent company, right?

Ample Vigour
11-27-2008, 06:05 PM
The idea is that, since we're running SpiteAir as an extension of Gamespite Industries Inc., we should use one of the company's colors (green, orange) for the SpiteAir logo for extra familiarity. Best way to get awareness is to borrow the success of the parent company, right?

Not necessarily! We have to evaluate our parent organization's branding and consider the impact such close association will have on SpiteAir's corporate culture. This is sensitive stuff we're dealing with.

I still vote green, though. Color of money.

Sven
11-27-2008, 06:39 PM
to borrow the success of the parent company, right?

I didn't think the parent was successful - I just figured Parish is a crazy billionaire like Richard Branson.

Son of Sinistar
11-27-2008, 10:49 PM
Name: Son of Sinistar

Education: In Progress

Experience:

-Flown planes in personal simulations
-Worked in high level positions for simulations before, notably mayor, warlord, and God

I vote for green as well, it will help hide the plane wreckage should it fall to the ground.

Sven
11-28-2008, 02:25 PM
MEMORANDUM

TO: Ample Vigour
LOKI “REMBRANDT” FRANKENSTEIN
Elfir
Octopus Prime
Red Hedgehog
dwolfe
Destil
criminallyinane
Hughbert Kennedy-Rockefeller IV d/b/a ThornGhost
CJ Awesome
Dr. Brickroad
PapillonReel
ajr82 (also, corporate counsel in waiting)
Son of Sinistar

FROM: S. H. Mascarenhas, corporate counsel to 11382042000 Delaware Inc.

RE: APPOINTMENT TO BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Congratulations on your appointment to the board of SpiteAir!

From this point forward, you will be presented with notices of reports from your counsel, which you will have the option of voting on. Our first resolution regarding the corporate colours of our new Airline has already been brought to your attention; please note it and enter your choice.

Commencing Monday, you will be presented with data relating to where we will initially choose to set up our "hub", or home base. This is the location from which we will attempt to take over the airline world. Voting on that resolution will commence Monday and terminate Wednesday.

Per the corporate by-laws, in the event of a deadlocked vote, the deadlock shall be broken on a rotating basis per the order of your names above: as a result, for the first vote, the Hon. Mr. Ample Vigour will have tiebreaking authority and his vote will carry the motion in the event of a deadlock*.

* - Note to ajr82: I *think* this would be valid per the OBCA, as scary as it seems.

Lucas
11-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Yay, the board has been decided so now I can post in this thread without fear of responsibility! Woo!

Hey, if I wanted to be on the board of anything, I'd be doing something with my business degree. Like, you know, being employed.

Elfir
11-28-2008, 03:20 PM
Motion to make green with pink spots shall be our airline's color. For simplicity's sake, it can be depicted as just green when necessary.

Octopus Prime
11-28-2008, 03:30 PM
I simply must reafirm my stance that a garish pink is the optimal choice.

ajr82
11-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Motion to make green with pink spots shall be our airline's color. For simplicity's sake, it can be depicted as just green when necessary.

I like the way Elfir thinks.

Also,

* - Note to ajr82: I *think* this would be valid per the OBCA, as scary as it seems.

Don't ask me, my Bus. Org. prof mumbled his way through the worst set of powerpoints I've ever seen.

PapillonReel
11-28-2008, 04:13 PM

I can live with this compromise. All in favour?

dwolfe
11-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Aye, green sounds good. If we need a second color, I don't care.

Red Hedgehog
11-29-2008, 08:56 PM
I'm down with pink.

Son of Sinistar
12-01-2008, 12:23 AM

I am also for this compromise.

Sven
12-01-2008, 08:00 AM
Green it is.

Okay, bit of a briefing on how the game works for those of us who haven't played it before: you essentially run a stripped-down simulation of an airline (in our case, SpteAir thanks to the idiotic seven-character name limit) and attempt to gain the #1 market share in each of the following regions:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/svendawg/AerobizSupersonic_00016.jpg
- North America (Canada and the US)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/svendawg/AerobizSupersonic_00022.jpg
- South America (Mexico and all points south)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/svendawg/AerobizSupersonic_00025.jpg
- Europe

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/svendawg/AerobizSupersonic_00031.jpg
- Africa (really just northern Africa; we don't have to worry about connections to JoBurg)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/svendawg/AerobizSupersonic_00032.jpg
- "The Middle East" (a strange grouping of Iran, Iraq, Pakistan and India)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/svendawg/AerobizSupersonic_00007.jpg
- Asia (the Pacific Rim, more or less, with Guam and Saipan added)

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/svendawg/AerobizSupersonic_00014.jpg
- Australia (with several of the Pacific Islands, such as Fiji)

The first thing to do is select a "hub" city in each region - they're the ones marked by the green dots. For the sake of actually wanting to win (esp. since we're playing on the hardest scenario), that means one of three locations: North America, Asia or Europe. It's *possible* to win via Cairo in later scenarios - I've done it a couple of times - but, well, just look at Africa. Flying 10,000 passengers per month is usually enough to win there, but you can't make money off such low volumes.

Ignore that there's actually numbers on the screen in Asia - I had to start a dummy game to get the screencaps.

One thing to keep in mind: the game tries to at least pay lip service to political considerations, so as we're going to be playing...,
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h43/svendawg/AerobizSupersonic_00001.jpg
... that scenario, the Cold War is still in effect. Picking a communist country will make it VERY difficult to operate in non-communist ones and vice versa. Which is fine on lower difficulties (where you can ignore a region politically unfriendly to you, such as commie-hating North America), but we have to win *everywhere*. So we'll leave out most of the Soviet Bloc when choosing our hub, as well.

Now, the reason that the hub is so important is that you can only fly from region to region through either your main hub or a branch hub - and you only get one of those per region. So, again assuming the Tokyo scenario above, I can fly routes from Tokyo to London, New York, Sydney and Cairo - but I then can't fly from Tokyo to Paris, LA, or Perth, since I'd already have flights to other cities in those regions.

That becomes important because the big tradeoffs in this game revolve around distance. The longer a plane flies, the more money we can charge on the route (and, of course, the more fuel expense we have - that'll be important later, trust me). On those longer routes, we generally have to use bigger planes, so it all kind of balances out. But the big worry is that of limited range; simply put, there's a lot of routes that can't be flown by any airplane in the game.

Octopus Prime
12-01-2008, 10:05 AM
I suggest we have a hub in London.

And I base this suggestion entirely on the fact that I am watching Doctor Who right now, and London is where the episode is set.

This... I COMMAND!

Sven
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Catch with London: it doesn't have any really long domestic routes (longest one, I think, is the London / Athens route, which is a good tourist route).

A substitute might be Hong Kong, which is still part of the Empire in this scenario. I'll list all the hub candidates later.

PapillonReel
12-01-2008, 10:16 AM
What're the Canadian hubs like? Having one in Vancouver might make it easier to branch into Asia while still giving you parts of North America. Europe's a bit of a problem, but we could work around that later.

dangerhelvetica
12-01-2008, 11:28 AM
My representative, That Guy, insists that his vote go for Hong Kong because he just heard the song "Turning Japanese". Although I informed him that Hong Kong is not part of Japan, and that the song had not been released in 1970, he still insisted.

Sven
12-01-2008, 11:34 AM
What're the Canadian hubs like? Having one in Vancouver might make it easier to branch into Asia while still giving you parts of North America. Europe's a bit of a problem, but we could work around that later.

There's Vancouver. And... that's it. Toronto's a regular city, and Montreal doesn't even exist.

(Which is going to provide a bit of amusement, as the game models the Olympics* but doesn't have a location for them in 1976... so Toronto gets them. I think it's the only case of an Olympic host city being completely erased from the game - Moscow, LA, Seoul, Barcelona and Atlanta are all in there, after which I think it just goes to a random choice of pre-existing city.)

* A city hosting the Olympics gets a boost to full economy and tourism for two quarters. Basically, you can fly 747s at maximum price there and you'll fill them.

Ample Vigour
12-01-2008, 11:53 AM
I once bought a DVD from a mail-order outfit in Kowloon. It took three months to arrive.

Hong Kong, says I.

dwolfe
12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
(Which is going to provide a bit of amusement, as the game models the Olympics* Toronto...Moscow, LA, Seoul, Barcelona and Atlanta

IS there a benefit to being a hub with the olympics, if that's possible? Vs just sending flights there?

Red Hedgehog
12-03-2008, 05:38 PM

I've won a game with a hub in Vancouver.

But I'm ashamed at the lack of patriotism here. USA! USA! I've voiced why Los Angeles is probably the best starting city in the game earlier, so I'll retain my vote for the city of smog and superficiality. Also, Sven nixed my plan of making our company's life hell (though still potentially winnable) by starting in Cairo.

dwolfe
12-04-2008, 03:51 PM
USA! USA! I've voiced why Los Angeles is probably the best starting city in the game earlier

And we can all go to the olympics! I'm sold.

Elfir
12-04-2008, 03:59 PM
I favor Vancouver because then we can talk like this the rest of the thread, eh?

PapillonReel
12-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I favor Vancouver because then we can talk like this the rest of the thread, eh?

Ya, what's all this aboot LA, eh?

Elfir
12-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Ya, what's all this aboot LA, eh?

Fuckin' eh!
That's actually the only phrase I heard "eh" with in my 2+ years in Canada. But stereotypes rule!

Son of Sinistar
12-05-2008, 04:24 PM
USA! USA! I've voiced why Los Angeles is probably the best starting city in the game earlier
And we can all go to the olympics! I'm sold.

I'll toss in my hat for Los Angeles. I've heard that land is gold.

Destil
12-05-2008, 04:33 PM
"Who wants to fly to Chicago, the windy city?"
"Me!" "Oh, me!" I will."
"It's a little windy..."
"Ohhh... er, never mind."

And thus it was decided. Chicago for my vote.

Sven
12-08-2008, 09:34 AM
IS there a benefit to being a hub with the olympics, if that's possible? Vs just sending flights there?

Well, it's a boost for your own ratings, so theoretically it's a really big deal. But odds are good that your own hub will have good stats anyway, as opposed to the temporary boost.

I've won a game with a hub in Vancouver.

But I'm ashamed at the lack of patriotism here. USA! USA! I've voiced why Los Angeles is probably the best starting city in the game earlier, so I'll retain my vote for the city of smog and superficiality. Also, Sven nixed my plan of making our company's life hell (though still potentially winnable) by starting in Cairo.

I really like the hell that is the Cairo start, but not with this particular scenario. It's a lot of fun in scenario 4, though, since you don't have as much chance of wandering into a war.

(Oh, yes, that's something to keep in mind: the game also models real-life wars and revolutions, which could potentially shut down entire countries)

I'll make a post re: the hubs later tonight, since we don't seem to have a real majority opinion.

dwolfe
12-08-2008, 05:05 PM
the game also models real-life wars and revolutions, which could potentially shut down entire countries

I'm double voting for the US or canada then.

dwolfe
12-12-2008, 10:12 AM
Did SpiteAir demand a govt bailout, and you're busy flying to DC to get the $? This was a cool let's play concept, hope it lives :)

(PS: LA!)

Sven
12-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Sorry, was stuck writing a factum for the Court of Appeal all week (yay 50 billable hours in less than one week!). May curl up and write the official resolution for the selection of the hub tonight since there's no way anyone's dragging me off the couch in the mood I'm in.

PapillonReel
02-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Did SpiteAir go out of business? Has the failing economy hit the forums harder than we all thought? Are my investments still intact!? D:

EDIT: Lu... Pa...?

fuzzypanda
02-13-2009, 11:47 PM
I tried playing this on my own but the interface design is simply driving me insane. Some menu window I can't get out of, and so on.

With that in mind, here's hoping the continuation of this thread. I want to play it so hard, but the pain.

dwolfe
02-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Sorry, was lost in time and space.

Enough Arkham Horror, are we ever going to play this or what? :)