PDA

View Full Version : Tim Hortons Thread of Love

Bergasa
12-09-2008, 01:18 PM
I was just handed a rare treat: a chocolate doughnut covered in shaved coconut from Tim Hortons. You can't find these at every Tim's, and it's been a long while since I've had one. It is great though!

Those of you who aren't Canadian might not have any idea what I am talking about because Tim Hortons don't exist is your dimensions, but you are missing out. If you've ever been to Canada, I'm sure you've seen one, and almost as sure that you've been into one, since they are literally everywhere. If you are still unawares, it is a coffee/doughnut place named after a hockey player that is a huge Canadian staple.

So-- what are your favourite doughnuts? Growing up, mine always used to be the Boston Creme. I'm also partial to the plain, the double chocolate, the fritters (apple!), and of course, the coconut.

What about you guys? Favourites? Tims stories? Let's bask in the warmth of that homestyle doughnut shop.

Sven
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I'm a Timbit fan, personally. Food, dunking device, emergency road hockey ball after you've left one out of the box for too long... there are fewer more versatile items on the planet.

Not that the doughnuts aren't good, because they are - but there's something just BETTER about a honey dip Timbit as opposed to a Honey Dip doughnut.

djSyndrome
12-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I keep forgetting to try Tim's whenever I head north :(

Red Hedgehog
12-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Those of you who aren't Canadian might not have any idea what I am talking about because Tim Hortons don't exist is your dimensions, but you are missing out. If you've ever been to Canada, I'm sure you've seen one, and almost as sure that you've been into one, since they are literally everywhere. If you are still unawares, it is a coffee/doughnut place named after a hockey player that is a huge Canadian staple.

Actually there are Tim Horton's in most of the border states (Michigan and Maine, anyway). That's how Canada is trying to subtely take over the US.

I can't say I've been to Tim Horton's enough to have favorites. I still prefer Dunkin Donuts.

ajr82
12-09-2008, 02:08 PM
I like the Strawberry Vanilla best.

MCBanjoMike
12-09-2008, 02:12 PM
I like the doughnuts better at Dunkin's, but Timmy's are better for you. Relatively better, I mean. And the one I keep going back to is the sour cream glazed, but really I'm with Sven - Timbits are where it's at.

God, now I have to resist the temptation to get a doughnut on my way out of the hospital today. BEACUSE WE HAVE A TIM HORTON'S BUILT INTO THE HOSPITAL.

Daremo
12-09-2008, 02:20 PM
We have them here in Ohio now, but I honestly have a preference for Jolly Pirates (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jolly%20pirate%20donuts) myself.

Karzac
12-09-2008, 02:22 PM
I'm Canadian, but I don't go to Tim's that often. Jelly donuts are my favourite though. Anywhere, not just at Tim's.

Sven
12-09-2008, 03:23 PM
God, now I have to resist the temptation to get a doughnut on my way out of the hospital today. BEACUSE WE HAVE A TIM HORTON'S BUILT INTO THE HOSPITAL.

I walk by no less than three on the way home. The last one is freaking tempting every day, because it's right after I climb up a giant staircase in Metro Hall.

Bergasa
12-09-2008, 03:42 PM
Actually there are Tim Horton's in most of the border states

:O!

There has been at least one Tim Hortons in every hospital I've ever been in. I swear it's some sort of deal they have going.

Elfir
12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
There was one in the main hall of my Canadian college, a one-minute or less walk from 90% of my classrooms. Every break between classes or during class, just about everybody would line up for something or other. Was kinda amazing.

I'm not a big fan of donuts (unless made by an actual bakery) but the bagels were nummy. I don't really recall the other things I got but there was much nummy.

Adrenaline
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
I FIND THEIR CHICKEN DISAPPOINTING

Willm
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
There are a TON of Tim Hortons in Ohio (at least in central Ohio) probably due to their relationship with Wendy's.

That being said, I have a lot of great memories at Tim's, especially in the summers of '04 and '05. Those were the first two summers after I had started college, and a few of my close high school friends and I would all go to the local Tim Hortons once a week to catch up, since we were all back home for the summer. Even better, we all had 2nd/3rd shift summer jobs, so these meetups would usually happen past midnight, and we were the only people in the place. It was kind of like the Nighthawks painting, really, and most of the time we found ourselves talking until 3-4 AM. Those were great times.

UnChocolate
12-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I like Mister Donut donuts. At least in Asia; apparently there are some in the US but I've never seen them.

Phat
12-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Tim's is where we go after the indie-moviefest.

Sometimes I wear a scarf or a knitted sweater.

I am hip as fuck.

Sheana
12-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Yeah, it's not just border states. I have a friend in Missouri that found out there's one in said state.

Stiv
12-09-2008, 05:27 PM
Timbits are fucking awesome and I want Tim Horton's to just destroy every donut chain in the US. Plus there's the fact that there's a Timmy's practically everywhere in Canada, meaning you are never far from a donut. America, when did your hate for the donut shop begin? I can't even get one that isn't from a supermarket in this town.

Bergasa
12-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Tim's is where we go after the indie-moviefest.

Sometimes I wear a scarf or a knitted sweater.

I am hip as fuck.

Are you being sarcastic? I can't tell.

Tim Hortons is the opposite of hipster hangouts like Starbucks.

Kishi
12-09-2008, 05:38 PM
If I ever go to Canada, I figure I'll pretty much subsist on a diet of doughnuts and poutine.

Octopus Prime
12-09-2008, 05:41 PM
I am particularly fond of their French Vanilla Cappucinos.

By which I mean, I have bought another the second I finished consuming one three times today.

I'm also fond of their tea, but they can't make it for crap, so I just get the bags and do the dirty work myself.

It is then yummy!

mopinks
12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
America, when did your hate for the donut shop begin? I can't even get one that isn't from a supermarket in this town.

your town is a sign of the end times.

Ample Vigour
12-09-2008, 07:45 PM

For serious. I can't throw a foam brick in my town without hitting a Vietnamese-owned donut shop. They've driven out most of the national brands at this point.

Red Hedgehog
12-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Timbits are fucking awesome and I want Tim Horton's to just destroy every donut chain in the US. Plus there's the fact that there's a Timmy's practically everywhere in Canada, meaning you are never far from a donut. America, when did your hate for the donut shop begin? I can't even get one that isn't from a supermarket in this town.

You live in a bad part of America.

Marfy
12-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Timbits are my favorite part of visiting my parents' families in Buffalo. Sometimes I wonder if it is their mythical nature that makes them so delicious.

Stiv
12-09-2008, 09:03 PM

Even better:

We used to have a donut shop in town that made hot donuts, to order, with your choice of glaze and topping. They were so, so delicious, and the shop ended up on that show the guy who used to host Double Dare had on the Food Network (which I totally forget the name of, and I also forget the guy's name).

Then they closed because they kept fucking retarded hours and nobody knew it was there. So yes, my town is ground zero for donut hate.

Mazian
12-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Tim Horton's is pretty good. On the other hand....

There's this place in Los Angeles that has strawberry donuts. You may be thinking to yourself "yeah, whatever, scary red donuts are all the same." Wrong. This is a lump of standard donut material the size of a small soup bowl, glazed, cut in half horizontally, and filled far beyond overflowing with a huge pile of fresh strawberries. It is only available during strawberry season. It is the best donut in the entire world.

If I can't get that, though, TimBits are okay.

EDIT: Behold its magnificence! (http://bp3.blogger.com/_5Bc_QzdhHVY/RlpNfQBWqEI/AAAAAAAAAJM/Ca5dfswat68/s1600-h/DSCN4284.JPG)

Aquadeo
12-09-2008, 09:26 PM
At this point in the discussion, I shed a single tear for Robin's Donuts, a mediocre chain where I spent my teenage years (see: Phat, except in 1992) all but annihilated by Tim Horton's. Not only that, but Tim's production line methods have really tarnished their former glory, in my books. Or is that an urban legend, how all the doughnuts get shipped in 90% pre-baked, so they only have to be warmed up in the store?

That being said -- I'm still partial to their sour cream glazed. And a special mention goes out to their breakfast biscuits, which have sustained me on many a morning commute.

SpecBebop
12-09-2008, 09:34 PM
I am glad that the sour cream glazed is getting so much love in this thread. It is the king of the donuts.

Merus
12-09-2008, 10:18 PM
There's been a few doughtnut chains opening up here, like Krispy Kreme and suchlike. The problem is that they're all cold, sweet doughnuts.

Let me paint a picture for you of what doughnuts are like for me: freshly made when you order, a ring of dough squeezed out onto a trough of boiling oil. The doughnut moves along the trough, frying and cooking, until it's lifted out by a conveyor into a little holding area. The doughnut man picks it up with tongs and dumps it in a bowl filled with sugar and cinnamon, thoroughly coating both sides, and then into a paper bag. Once the bag's full, I gain custody over it.

But not for long, as doughnuts are best eaten while they're still crispy and piping hot.

So you can keep your Tim Hortons and your cold, soulless, pre-prepared doughnuts. I want hot ones.

Actually, I want hot ones now, and I'm not sure who sells them here in town.

Psyael
12-09-2008, 10:26 PM
America, when did your hate for the donut shop begin? I can't even get one that isn't from a supermarket in this town.

Never heard of Dunkin? Seriously?

I'm surprised this thread has more than five replies considering it's practically unheard of outside of Canada, joining HMV and H&M as rare birds.

Let me paint a picture for you of what doughnuts are like for me:

This is exactly what Krispy Kreme is if you go to a location that manufactures the doughnuts, and the "Hot doughnuts now!" sign is lit. Most KK outlets don't do this but just import boxes from someone that do. Here in Vegas, the KKs at Excalibur and downtown at Fitzgeralds are making their own doughnuts, while the boxes you buy at Treasure Island or the nearest gas station or wherever were made at one of those two locations and trucked over.

Sheana
12-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I will back up Psyael on this. When I was in California I lived near one of those 'factory' Krispy Kreme stores, with the HOT DONUTS sign. I generally don't care for any donuts at all, but getting one from that KK during Lit-Sign Time made for the most delicious donut I ever had in my life.

Bergasa
12-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Is Krisby Kreme really big in America? They tried to do like a hostile takeover of my town a few years back, and for a few months all I heard about was how good they were. Then they like fell off the map, and I think the only place you can get them is in a box at the supermarket.

djSyndrome
12-10-2008, 09:15 AM
Is Krisby Kreme really big in America? They tried to do like a hostile takeover of my town a few years back, and for a few months all I heard about was how good they were. Then they like fell off the map, and I think the only place you can get them is in a box at the supermarket.

Most of the KK's here in town closed up a few years ago. Krispy Kreme had the foul luck of choosing to nationally expand at the exact same moment the Atkins diet up and took over the world

No big loss, their donuts sucked anyway.

dussssstin
12-10-2008, 09:18 AM
I will back up Psyael on this. When I was in California I lived near one of those 'factory' Krispy Kreme stores, with the HOT DONUTS sign. I generally don't care for any donuts at all, but getting one from that KK during Lit-Sign Time made for the most delicious donut I ever had in my life.

The fresh and hot donuts were the best because they were free.

Eusis
12-10-2008, 09:22 AM
Most of the KK's here in town closed up a few years ago. Krispy Kreme had the foul luck of choosing to nationally expand at the exact same moment the Atkins diet up and took over the world

No big loss, their donuts sucked anyway.
Same here, except the sentiment about their donuts. Then again the last box I got from the nearest one before they closed down were horribly dry Holiday-themed donuts, so maybe they don't deserve to be defended.

dwolfe
12-10-2008, 10:19 AM
There's Tim Horton's in Australia too, though. They were sworn enemies with the Starbucks kids (one of whom I was dating back in the day). It was a pretty funny rivalry.

Sven
12-10-2008, 10:28 AM

KK in Canada is the ultimate lesson of Canadian food service: thou shalt not fuck with Tim's. They tried. They failed. Even Starbucks was cowed by Tim's.

I kinda wish their location in Downtown Toronto had stuck around, because it was in a really great central location (where the Yves Rocher is now in the building north of First Canadian), and unlike the usual PATH Tim's, had plenty of room for a nice orderly line.

There's Tim Horton's in Australia too, though.

Okay, that's pretty weird, considering the origins of the name.

ArugulaZ
12-10-2008, 10:31 AM
So you can keep your Tim Hortons and your cold, soulless, pre-prepared doughnuts. I want hot ones.

That's the major failing of Krispy Kreme... they're absolutely terrible cold, after the glaze has hardened and hermetically sealed the doughnut inside. A cake doughnut, however, is still good cold. Hell, they're good as day olds. They've got a longer shelf life than a Krispy Kreme, at least where taste is concerned.

Dadgum Roi
12-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Krispy Kreme is basically a Southern chain- as noted, they did a big expansion a few years ago that went belly up after a couple of years. It's as much an institution here as Horton's seems to be in Canada.

I'm stunned that they tried opening stores that don't make their own donuts, though. I've never seen a KK that didn't fry their own and have the hot donut light. That's what KK is all about, always has been.

Red Hedgehog
12-10-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm stunned that they tried opening stores that don't make their own donuts, though. I've never seen a KK that didn't fry their own and have the hot donut light. That's what KK is all about, always has been.

A lot of people tried to blame the Atkins craze for the reason the KK expansion failed, but amongst business people most thought it was exactly that reason. KK diluted their brand by having so many peoples' experience with them be cold donuts that hadn't even been made in the store. Since those really don't taste that good, they never gained traction in many places.

Sven
12-10-2008, 02:36 PM
A lot of people tried to blame the Atkins craze for the reason the KK expansion failed, but amongst business people most thought it was exactly that reason. KK diluted their brand by having so many peoples' experience with them be cold donuts that hadn't even been made in the store. Since those really don't taste that good, they never gained traction in many places.

Yeah, they were encouraging people to not eat them in the store, but rather to microwave them when they got home.

Needless to say, that was fail.

Ample Vigour
12-10-2008, 02:41 PM
Yeah, they were encouraging people to not eat them in the store, but rather to microwave them when they got home.

Needless to say, that was fail.

That end of their business was run by a bunch of trained monkeys, too. My old man ran a chain of gas stations during the KK expansion, and their donut distro system was a mess from the managers on down.

Eventually he just flushed the stock and went exclusively with Little Debbie.

Red Hedgehog
12-10-2008, 02:57 PM
Also, given there's still a Krispy Kreme in every US city with a population of 100,000 even after their massive expansion failure, it's no longer really a Southern chain except in origin.

nadia
12-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I'm not into doughnuts or coffee, but Tim's has the best "fast food" chili I've ever tasted (it's not hot, but I'm very okay with that). Also, A+ soups and stews and nice fresh bread to go with them. One of my favourite places to eat lunch.

The fresh and hot donuts were the best because they were free.

If I'm an example, this might partially be what killed KK. KK is fucking delicious--once. After that one free doughnut, I can't handle any more for a while. I can handle rich and sweet foods in very small doses.

Krispy Kreme is basically a Southern chain- as noted, they did a big expansion a few years ago that went belly up after a couple of years. It's as much an institution here as Horton's seems to be in Canada.

First time I tried KK was when I was visiting NC. It was just before their massive expansion. They flopped pretty hard up here; I think Tim's not only has the advantage of being a household name, but it really can't be beat for overall variety. KK didn't have the ambiance. At Tim's, you can get a good doughnut and good coffee plus the aforementioned lunch items. KK gave you great doughnuts, shitty coffee and not much else.

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-11-2008, 01:16 AM
I love Krispy Kreme donuts, but I guess that's to be expected, as we come from the same place.

I love them even after they've cooled, but not too long after.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Dadgum Roi
12-11-2008, 04:19 AM
Also, given there's still a Krispy Kreme in every US city with a population of 100,000 even after their massive expansion failure, it's no longer really a Southern chain except in origin.

Ah. I thought that the failure of the expansion had mostly driven them out of the rest of the country. Shades of Gettysburg:

General Krispy Lee: "General Pickett, ready your doughnuts."

General George Krispy Pickett: "General Lee, I...I have no hot doughnuts left!"

Red Hedgehog
12-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Ah. I thought that the failure of the expansion had mostly driven them out of the rest of the country. Shades of Gettysburg:

General Krispy Lee: "General Pickett, ready your doughnuts."

General George Krispy Pickett: "General Lee, I...I have no hot doughnuts left!"

Nice. :)

Basically, they shut down all their non-"Hot Donuts now" stores.

Gwrrrk
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm extremely critical of Tim Hortons for several reasons.

The first being that they like to milk the whole 'patriotism' idea when they advertise their products. Sure it was a corporation started by candians, but really what do coffee and donuts have to do with being canadian?

Their coffee cups are probably the biggest source of trash that I can think of besides bottled water. They also have not addressed this issue even a little bit while other corps like starbucks are using post consumer recycled paper in their cups. Not a lot of canadian municipalities have the ability to recycle these coffee cups.

Good donuts though.

ThornGhost
12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Every time I wandered into my local KK store with the donut factory in the back, all I could hear in my head was the old cartoon factory music as the donuts sped by on their convey belt.

Bergasa
12-12-2008, 10:04 AM
Their coffee cups are probably the biggest source of trash that I can think of besides bottled water.

Yeah, my campus recently did a demonstration where all of the disgarded Tim Hortons cups found on campus were put on display in a giant cage. You wouldn't believe how many there were. (Well, I guess you could believe since you are attune to these things, but you get what I'm saying.)

I heard that Toronto wanted to start a initiative where you put down a deposit when you buy a coffee and then when you bring the cup back to Tim Hortons you get that deposit back. Sounds like too much work to me though.

Gwrrrk
12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I heard that Toronto wanted to start a initiative where you put down a deposit when you buy a coffee and then when you bring the cup back to Tim Hortons you get that deposit back. Sounds like too much work to me though.

yeah, that sounds kind of silly considering how flimsy the cups are.
I think better solutions would be Tim Hotons offering greater discounts for people using refillable mugs, or maybe spending some money on prducing compostable cups.

TheSL
12-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I know it wasn't the original intention of this thread, but I just wanted to pop in and say that Krispy Kreme donuts suck. Also, when the made the big expansion in the US they drove all the local places under, then went out of business themselves a few months later in all but one location in my area. Now if I want a donut the option I've got is the gas station. :(

Bergasa
12-12-2008, 11:23 AM
I know it wasn't the original intention of this thread, but I just wanted to pop in and say that Krispy Kreme donuts suck. Also, when the made the big expansion in the US they drove all the local places under, then went out of business themselves a few months later in all but one location in my area. Now if I want a donut the option I've got is the gas station. :(

Man that sucks. Krispy Kreme, kids: it's no better than Walmart. (Worse, I guess, since it left a doughnut void.)

Psyael
12-15-2008, 10:06 PM
See, I think that Krispy Kreme tried to run as a doughnuts chain, and that's part of what harmed them because no other doughnut chains in America do well here either except MAYBE Dunkin' and they kind of recessed at one point before going on the upswing again. Tim Hortons runs as a coffee company that also serves doughnuts. That puts them more into competition with Starbucks than anything else.

And the doughnuts are effin' terrible. I'm convinced most Canadians like Tim's either because they're coffee addicts or because of the same reason Best Buy won't convert Future Shops: Because they like brands that are exclusively theirs with no franchisees south of the border.

They really might as well just go the full nine yards, errr, eight-point-two meters, and rename the joint Tim Hortouns.

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-16-2008, 12:59 AM
I thought I heard on that Toronto thing for Tim Horton's that the problem was that the lid and cup weren't made of the same material, thus making them harder/unable to be recycled without ripping them apart, so one alternative being viewed was some sort of cup with a unform material.

--LBD "Nytetrayn"

Bergasa
12-16-2008, 09:16 AM
I thought I heard on that Toronto thing for Tim Horton's that the problem was that the lid and cup weren't made of the same material, thus making them harder/unable to be recycled without ripping them apart, so one alternative being viewed was some sort of cup with a unform material.

Oh, maybe I am misinformed.

And the doughnuts are effin' terrible.

This guy's bringing the heat!