PDA

View Full Version : Atelier Iris 3

Mightyblue
06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
Okay, after having read 1up's review, and having played about 10-15 hours into it myself, I have to call bs on the review. The game's not bad, nor is it FFXII caliber material, but it is entertaining in that somewhat mindless old-timey RPG sort of way. The battle system's quick and keeps things moving, and most of the quests you do (this un's quest based ladies and gents) are short enough and easy enough to complete that they never take more than five to ten minutes for some of the monster hunts.

I read somewhere else (probably gameFAQs) that a lot of reviews have been knocking it because it's not innovative or jaw-droppingly gorgeous like Odin Sphere, and then they go to pieces on the quest based gameplay as well. Not to knock on the 1up reviewer or anything, but just because something's not so cutting edge and revolutionary it slits your wrists for you doesn't mean that it can't be entertaining. The millions of people who play DQ worldwide can't all be crazy, at any rate.

I think I'm just irritated at the Internet and reviewers in general at the moment. This is why I don't watch or read movie reviews anymore either.

alexb
06-02-2007, 09:05 PM
I wouldn't call them utter shit, but I watched my wife play through both of the previous games in the series and it would be generous to call them anything more than bog standard.

jovewolf
06-02-2007, 09:17 PM
I'm still waiting for mine, but I was a little concerned about it after reading the 1up review. After hearing from Mightyblue I feel rather relieved now as we seem to have similar opinions on Gust's games.

That said Alex has a valid point - they are more or less average, although I rather enjoy the "make your own items" aspect of them. That said, they aren't really anything groundbreaking.

Kirin
06-03-2007, 10:01 AM
I played the first one and found it to be objectively a pretty mediocre standard RPG, yet I still enjoyed it just because it was so charming. And I kind of liked smacking and taking every damn object on the map. But I'm not sure I feel a great need to play two more game's worth of more or less the same thing, unless I totally run out of other interesting stuff which is unlikely to happen.

Eusis
06-03-2007, 01:20 PM
I liked the first, but part of the reason I liked it was that it was refreshing to play through in contrast to all of the 3D RPGs out. Now it just seems to have gotten beat to death, and people complain about the good things the first did being slimmed down or removed. Meh.

Plus I hate the idea of a timer on dungeons.

djSyndrome
06-03-2007, 02:07 PM
So when is Gust going to make a game that doesn't get by on boobs and 2D sprites?

alexb
06-03-2007, 02:12 PM
When it no longer sells. Duh.

regularchickens
06-03-2007, 02:26 PM
They tried it for a while, actually, back in the '90s. But then Atelier Marie was a hit, and that was that.

So, I didn't mind AI's unambitious design, loved the item-combination system, and got sick of the random encounters after about five hours. Am I going to hate AI3?

Mightyblue
06-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Well, no randoms in this one, they use symbols that are coded for size and color depending on the relative strength of the monsters. You can kill the weak ones on the field without even going into battle with them, unless you need the money or something. They even mark out the quest specific monsters for you, when you do monster hunting quests.

Other than that, it's the exact same as AI, only with a more refined battle system and is quest based instead of just going through a string of dungeons.