PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the Gamespite Fun Club

Parish
08-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Wherein we shall discuss games. Each week, a new and different game. Discuss them as you play! Discuss them when you're done! You are under no obligations to participate in this informal group so long as you observe the following rules of common courtesy:

- Be mindful of spoilers.
- Discuss, don't harangue.
- If you don't like the game in question, hang tight for the following week. And suggest something more your own speed.

Each new Fun Club entry will be announced on Mondays. You are, of course, welcome to continue chatting about a game after its week is up.

So now there are just two questions to be resolved:

1. What games would you like to see featured here?
2. Should we offer a low-impact alternative selection for people who don't have the time to invest in a bigger game, or would that divide the content too much?

shivam
08-05-2007, 02:02 PM
i think we should try to pick games that are easily accessible for most folks, ie games from the last generation, at least to start with. i like the idea of low impact, but i think we should try without first.

Tomm Guycot
08-05-2007, 02:05 PM
I think the best option would be each week:

1) One more "recent" game (obviously we aren't doing "new" games, but like MGS3 would fall under this)

2) One older game - the retro content (PSN/XBLA/VC) is a good source of these.

This way if you have no time to play an involving game on PS2, you can do a shorter, older game. But instead of competing (1cc) you'll just be discussing it.

Then, on weeks where big titles (Phantom Hourglass, Metroid Prime 3) are released, we could skip the first entry and just have a retro entry.

I think this gives us the most freedom while still allowing maximum participation.

cortbassist89
08-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I think we should make sure to have console diversity, and maybe even throw in the occasional portable game. And maybe if there's a demand for it, a hardcore section for gamers who play nothing but Ninja Gaiden and God of War.

Which isn't me, the most hardcore I play is MGS.

And very good points Tomm, I second them all.

Parish
08-05-2007, 02:13 PM
So given the first week is a first-person shooter, what would make a nice lo-cal alternative? Ideally the alternate games would be Virtual Console downloads to make them nice and accessible for everyone.

djSyndrome
08-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Maybe not this week because it would skew the selections heavily towards the 360, but I'd like to see everyone's thoughts on Pac-Man Championship Edition.

SkywardShadow
08-05-2007, 02:22 PM
I would, of course, prefer RPGs and strategy games. The downside to choosing them is that some might require more than a week.

Tomm Guycot
08-05-2007, 02:31 PM
I'd like to say NEW games on PS3 and X360 are off limits, since (besides them being brand new) not everyone has access.

alexb
08-05-2007, 04:06 PM
Are we making too great an assumption in thinking the majority of the board has a Wii, also?

cortbassist89
08-05-2007, 04:21 PM
I see nothing too wrong in assuming we all have access to the Virtual Console, because those who don't, like me, can all emulate, to varying degrees of legality.

Parish
08-05-2007, 04:29 PM
I'd think new games would be perfectly kosher. Lots of people will be playing this year's releases, and people are certainly as likely to have a 360 as a Wii. That's where the alternate selection would come in. If you can't afford to stay on top of things (and most can't -- I only do because it's my job) you can still easily join in on the VC-friendly title either at a garage sale or via emulation.

dosboot
08-05-2007, 06:01 PM
I strongly suggest that we don't copy Kotaku by having the discussion take place at a scheduled point in time. In other words let the discussion be spread out over the week allowing discussions to take place as people progress through the game. It seems like this is the way it is going to be done anyway, but I just wanted to voice my opinion.

Parish
08-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Yes. The conversation, like Spice, must flow.

reibeatall
08-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I agree with Parish Mu'adib. This way, not everybody has to be present.

SkywardShadow
08-06-2007, 03:48 PM
God created Talking Time to train the faithful.