PDA

View Full Version : The Fun Club request thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

Parish
08-06-2007, 11:55 AM
The title says it all very succinctly. If you want a specific game featured here in future weeks, speak up now. DO IT

Excitemike
08-06-2007, 12:00 PM
Halo or Halo 2. I want to get through one of them before Halo 3 hits, and I think I'm going to need a little handholding.

Jakanden
Does it have to be an older game? If not:

Persona 3
Bioshock
Castlevania Chronicles

If so:

System Shock 2

Maggie
Anyone else wanna do the original Diablo? I don't know. I mean, I want to replay it, but I'm not sure how many people want to put up with that after the big improvement of Diablo 2 and everything.

shivam
08-06-2007, 12:01 PM
the only problem with the original diablo is the lack of run. walking ever so slowly across that map is untenable now.

Mightyblue
08-06-2007, 12:16 PM
I would have suggested FF:Mystic Quest for laughs (it is a fun game, despite being absurdly easy), but since it's not out on Virtual Console, most of you probably don't have it. Legally, anyway. :P

ArugulaZ
08-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Darkstalkers. It's the perfect marriage of excellent gameplay and breathtaking graphics. Twelve years after its release, it remains one of Capcom's best fighting games. NightWarriors is the pinnacle of the series thanks to two new unforgettable characters and a vastly improved special attack system.

JR

Maggie
08-06-2007, 12:20 PM
the only problem with the original diablo is the lack of run. walking ever so slowly across that map is untenable now.

Yeah, that was my main concern. It's a real pain in the butt and makes going to town (you know, God willin' and the creek don't rise) a chore.

Parish
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
I think we'll be doing a handful of "big" releases this fall -- probably BioShock, Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Zelda, I dunno. I kinda want to include some RPGs, but those have the small problem of taking much more than a week to complete.

I'm not really sure how fighting games would fit into this format, since they don't really have a structure to speak of.

Jakanden
08-06-2007, 12:24 PM
We gotta have Castlevania Chronicles.

TheSL
08-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Well, with fighting games like Soul Calibur and Smash Bros at least they have some kind of larger one-player section of the game. That does keep something stellar like Street Fighter III from making the selection, though.

Calorie Mate
08-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Assuming I finish up MML before I leave, I'm going to be playing Mega Man Legends 2 and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne once I return from Washington, DC...so, I'll be starting about 3 weeks from today (er, probably 4 weeks, assuming I'll be picking up Prime when I return). I would love to try and coordinate my playthrough with other people, if possible.

Zef
08-06-2007, 12:34 PM
I think we'll be doing a handful of "big" releases this fall -- probably BioShock, Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Zelda, I dunno.
How about Metroid Prime 3, out at the end of the month? If I time it right, I'll buy that and a Wii on the first week of September, so it'd be the first time I'd get to play along with other people :D (I missed the boat on FF12 because I was playing Okami at the time.)

Jakanden
08-06-2007, 12:50 PM
How about Metroid Prime 3, out at the end of the month? If I time it right, I'll buy that and a Wii on the first week of September, so it'd be the first time I'd get to play along with other people :D (I missed the boat on FF12 because I was playing Okami at the time.)

You are forgiven only because Okami was an awesome game.

Tomm Guycot
08-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Lolo! For the love of God, Lolo!

cortbassist89
08-06-2007, 02:44 PM
For the alternate, might I suggest Maniac Mansion? (Don't think it's on VC tho)

I've never beaten it, but damn I've had fun trying to.

As for other relatively cult games: Psychonauts.

mr_bungle700
08-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Lolo! For the love of God, Lolo!

Yup.

I'm also hereby formally requesting Bionic Commando when/if it becomes available on the Virtual Console.

ringworm
08-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Maybe Pikmin 2? I don't know why I never played it, I loved Pikmin.

Traumadore
08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Warcraft III is doable I think. Also great fun.

mr_bungle700
08-06-2007, 03:41 PM
Or Starcraft, perhaps. I'd like the excuse to finally get around to playing it.

SkywardShadow
08-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Games that seem great, but something is wrong with me and I've never gotten around to beating them, and this seems like the perfect excuse to correct that:

Beyond Good & Evil
Eternal Darkness
Ico
Metal Gear Solid 2
Metroid Prime
Pikmin
Resident Evil 4
Shadow of the Colossus
Viewtiful Joe
Zone of Enders

(Also, I'll join in on ANY RPG or strategy game. I collect, so I pretty much have them all.)

SamuelMarston
08-06-2007, 04:03 PM
It seems to me that many people here already love Resident Evil 4, and it is easily available for most any platform (cheap too).

I also second motions for Starcraft since it should run on just about any computer now, or Diablo which I haven't run through in a while. Diablo doesn't seem like it would lend itself to interesting discussion though.

SkywardShadow
08-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Oh, oh! Any of the Paper Marios might be a good choice as far as shorter RPGs go.

Figure Four
08-06-2007, 04:23 PM
I second Resident Evil 4 if just because I've been meaning to play it. Also, Super Metroid.

ecchi squirrel
08-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Phantasy Star Online? It's on Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox, so I imagine there wouldn't be a problem of accessibility.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how many people would be willing to trudge through solo-offline play, since the servers aren't up anymore.

Healy
08-06-2007, 04:26 PM
Link to the Past would make a good Fun Club game, as would Super Castlevania, although the latter already had a one-credit challenge.

As for modern games, Wind Waker would be nice, although I'm sure there will be people who'll prefer Twilight Princess.

Jeanie
08-06-2007, 04:34 PM
For a modern game, how about Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. Not too long, not too short, the rewind function cuts down on frustration and was out on PS2/GC/Xbox so it could be found pretty cheap. Plus, you know, it was an awesome game.

Eusis
08-06-2007, 04:45 PM
I kinda want to include some RPGs, but those have the small problem of taking much more than a week to complete.
How about an RPG of the month in addition to the other two, or at least make it bi-weekly? Maybe that could get too crowded though, with three games at once.

Anyways, I'm good for basically any RPG released in the last two years (I need to get around to clearing out that backlog), I just dug up Chrono Trigger/Secret of Mana/Secret of Evermore so those would be nice too. Outside of RPG stuff, there's games like Earth Defense Force for the X360, and Bully wouldn't be bad though better saved for when the ports hit.

mr_bungle700
08-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Diablo doesn't seem like it would lend itself to interesting discussion though.

Diablo II, however, is fertile ground for producing epic stories and hardcore character building strategies.

Sarcasmorator
08-06-2007, 05:57 PM
And we could play it as a group! Regale the board with tales of our bitter triumphs and glorious defeats!

Eusis
08-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Actually, now that I think about it I have another one: Killer7. Game's pretty cheap these days and doesn't seem too hard to find for either GC or PS2.

Mightyblue
08-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Actually, I was thinking of toying with saved films in Marathon 2 in Aleph One. Recording awesome deaths and unbelievable triumphs, that sort of thing. Or watching me slaughter all the Bobs because I hate that damned simulacrum hunting level.

Falselogic
08-06-2007, 06:11 PM
I'm so for doing Bionic Commando! Another interesting one would be EarthBound Zero, or even Earthbound. Another great one, one I know Jeremy would love, Donkey Kong Country.

le geek
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
Well, I'd love to do an old Atari game (one of the better/later ones like Pitfall II or H.E.R.O.) but that may be beyond the scope of this...

Some "recent" older games that are on my to do pile:
HALO
Metal Gear Solid
Metroid Prime
Prince of Persia Sands of Time
Resident Evil 4

EDIT: I second Killer 7

lessee as far as virtual console games go...
ActRaiser
Blazing Lazers
Bonk's Revenge
Devil's Crush
Donkey Kong Country
Gunstar Heroes
Ninja Spirit
Splatterhouse
Super Castlevania IV
Super Mario 64

Cheers,
Ben

p-natsu
08-06-2007, 07:13 PM
I second Psychonauts and Beyond Good and Evil. They're both games I've wanted to play and this is the perfect excuse! Plus, they're available on GameTap, so it's fairly easy to get on the cheap. (Each active GameTap account lets you create something like 5+ family accounts, and they can be logged on at the same time too! All for one subscription!... at least it was that way the last time I checked...)

Torgo
08-06-2007, 07:33 PM
And we could play it as a group! Regale the board with tales of our bitter triumphs and glorious defeats!
Today's update: We did a few Mephisto runs today. There were no good drops. The end.

(A TT D2 group would be awesome though).

nathan
08-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Metroid Prime
I still have my copy sitting on the shelf never played. I always seem to turn on Super Metroid when I feel like doing that sort of thing.

It might be a fun choice in the next week or two. It sounds like most here have played it but probably not since it was released.

Well it gets my immediate vote.

Parish
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
I guess that takes care of selections for the next year or so.

Torgo
08-06-2007, 10:01 PM
Suggestion on lengthy rpgs and other long-winded possibilities: Once a month, started up on the first.

Why a month? We already have main and alternate weekly choices. Making the interval between long games shorter and we run the risk of some of us not having the time to cover everything. A month on longer titles gives everyone the chance to be much more leisurely about getting through the game while still partaking in the weekly offerings. That said, if you blaze through a 50 or 70+ hour title in a week and a half and the rest of us are only a short way through, that's just how the cookie crumbles.

Tomm Guycot
08-06-2007, 10:31 PM
Zone of Enders 2

Fixed!

shivam
08-06-2007, 10:32 PM
bah. you're tommy konami. Zone of Enders 3. Make it happen.

Parish
08-06-2007, 11:06 PM
Suggestion on lengthy rpgs and other long-winded possibilities: Once a month, started up on the first.
I was thinking exactly that. Except maybe not strictly on the first -- seems kinda limiting.

What would be a good starter RPG? Ideally something portable this month, maybe Persona 3 next. I'd like to do Etrian Odyssey, but I feel like maybe that's been talked up enough around here recently.

Torgo
08-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Etrian wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It would give me an excuse to pick it up again, having only gotten as far as the seventh floor or so.

Eusis
08-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Persona 3 would be good, but I kinda want Chrono Trigger. That might be short enough to work as the main feature for a week though, especially if people just play New Game +s or know it well enough to blast through it insanely fast. EO's still on my back burner though,s o I can't really complain with that.

Tomm Guycot
08-06-2007, 11:20 PM
Where do you people find the time for ANY of this!?

Torgo
08-06-2007, 11:27 PM
Pretty soon I'm going to be working sixty hours a week (which is by no means back-breaking as far as I'm concerned, but still a decent number of hours), so my tentative answer is "When I can find it."

I nominate Bangai-O and Colony Wars.

Mightyblue
08-06-2007, 11:41 PM
I was thinking exactly that. Except maybe not strictly on the first -- seems kinda limiting.

What would be a good starter RPG? Ideally something portable this month, maybe Persona 3 next. I'd like to do Etrian Odyssey, but I feel like maybe that's been talked up enough around here recently.Well, since we've had a huge thread on it, why not FF VI? Either SNES/PSX or Advance versions would be fine, since VIA's extra content isn't on the level of IV or V's.

reibeatall
08-07-2007, 12:22 AM
How's about Golden Sun?

le geek
08-07-2007, 07:05 AM
Well time-wise Suikoden would be a good candidate, but I doubt many have a copy. Maybe Final Fantasy II/IV?

Cheers,
Ben

cortbassist89
08-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Chuck Norris Super Kicks! (Atari) (http://www.mobygames.com/game/chuck-norris-superkicks)

nathan
08-07-2007, 08:54 AM
What would be a good starter RPG? Ideally something portable this month, maybe Persona 3 next.
I wouldn't mind an excuse to pick up Lunar Knights.

But Persona 3 would be a great choice because I'm sure most here have not previously played it, and I think a good chunk of us our purchasing it. But I do wonder how the random dungeon design would affect online discussion. And do all the dungeons have the same bosses? I guess the reviews I have read haven't really made that too clear to me.

shivam
08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
final fantasy 1 is short.

TheSL
08-07-2007, 10:47 AM

But who here hasn't already played it to death?

ringworm
08-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Is it? I only beat it once like 15+ years ago, but to my childhood self it felt like it took forever to beat.

Calorie Mate
08-07-2007, 10:59 AM
I'd like to second Psychonauts, because I never got to play it, and Killer 7, because I only played a little bit of it, but liked what I saw.

Red Hedgehog
08-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Here are recent games that I have yet to get around to playing:
Destroy All Humans
Devil May Cry (1, 2 or 3)
Disaster Report
EternalDarkness
Firefighter F.D. 18
Gitaroo Man (May work well since it just had a PSP re-release)
GOd Hand
God of War
Gradius V
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
Jak and Daxter (Any)
Killer 7
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Manhunt (kidding!)
Metroid Prime (either)
Okami
Pikmin (either)
Psychonauts
Ratchet and Clank (Any)
Resident Evil 4
Rez
Silent Hill 2, 3, or 4
Sly Cooper (Any)
Stretch Panic (also kidding!)
Zone of the Enders (either, but I'd prefer the first since I haven't played it)

RPGs:
Breath of Fire: Dragon's Quarter
Culdcept
Dark Cloud
Dark Cloud 2
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Paper Mario
Radiata Stories
Shining Force
Skies of Arcadia (Legends)
Any PS2 MegaTen game

XBLA/VC/PSN games:
Adventures of Lolo
Alien Hominid
Beyond Oasis
Blazing Lazers
Bonk's Adventure
Bonk's Revenge
Castelvania: Symphony of the Night (I am one of two people yet to play the game)
Comix Zone
Contra III: The Alient Wars
Devil's Crush
Dragon's Curse
Dynamite Headdy
Ecco the Dolphin
Gradius (maybe I'll finally beat it)
Jumping Flash!
Kirby's Adventure
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (Again, one of two people yet to play the game)
Military Madness
Ninja Spirit
Prince of Persia (Classic)
ToeJam & Earl
Streets of Rage (1 or 2)

That'll certianly keep me busy for a year.

switchbeat
08-07-2007, 03:36 PM
A buddy of mine has been going on and on about Planescape Torment. I'm not a big PC guy, so I've been putting it off. The same guy got me hooked on Skies of Arcadia, which I think flew under most folks' radar.

As for a portable RPG, I second the Golden Sun suggestion. I'd love to have an excuse to pick that up and finish it. I wouldn't mind working on EO--I'm only a few floors down.

locit
08-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Skies of Arcadia
Panzer Dragoon Saga (heh)
Gitaroo Man
Any Genesis Sonic title
Kirby's Adventure
Shenmue (surprisingly fun when played as a group!)
Okami
Klonoa (1 or 2, 2 would probably be easier to get at this point)

Vahn16
08-08-2007, 07:23 PM
How about MGS3 or Persona 3? Those seem to be the next games on my "I can't call myself a gamer without playing these" list and it'd be cool to discuss them with everyone else. And I'm going to second, third, fourth, and whatever else Bioshock. Once that game drops, I'm not leaving the safe, possibly burning glow of my Xbox360 for a long time.

Eusis
08-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Actually, on the note of Bioshock, the ideal one for next week would probably be System Shock 2. Yeah, yet another FPS-type game, but I think it's sufficiently different from Marathon and next week is kinda the week before Bioshock hits.

Parish
08-08-2007, 07:39 PM
The problem with System Shock 2 is that it's an older PC game and therefore not as universally accessible as Marathon 2, which is freely available for legal download in addition to being on XBLA. I definitely want to get Bioshock in there, though. Everyone who's played it comes away with stars in their eyes. (And a burning compulsion to read Atlas Shrugged, but I'll take my chances.)

Persona 3 would be a pretty good RPG topic for next month, I 'spect.

nathan
08-08-2007, 09:27 PM
Persona 3 would be a pretty good RPG topic for next month, I 'spect.

Not to be a pain, but is this a strong possibility? I would be willing to set it aside for a couple weeks if a lot of people here are willing to start it at about the same time.

shivam
08-08-2007, 09:30 PM
another vote for persona. god i love that game.

djSyndrome
08-08-2007, 09:35 PM
Honestly, are there any other halfway decent RPGs coming out in the next month (besides FFXII Dress-Up Edition?)

P3, please.

dussssstin
08-08-2007, 10:13 PM
Now we'd have to run it on the honor system but we could do time trials for fighting games.

Mightyblue
08-08-2007, 10:16 PM
I understand that Wild Arms 5 is decent....what?

Torgo
08-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Don't worry. I believe you.

(Despite really having no context for doing so. My Wild Arms experience is limited to about a third of the original game, which I felt was pretty solid back in the day. Also, the music was totally freaking awesome.)

Mightyblue
08-08-2007, 10:54 PM
The series has been a consistently second-tier set of RPGs that are generally shorter than most contemporary RPGs, usually clocking in around 30-40 hours or so. Actually, the HEX battle system they introduced in the last game is pretty fun to play, and the introduction of classes and class variants into the game might mix things up in the series a bit, since they've basically done the same characters over and over again since the first one. Considering this is going to be released post-PS2, this might also be a budget release too.

So yeah, color me optimistic.

EDIT: Torgo, if you liked the music in the first one, I do believe GH has a rock arranged album of the varied battle themes from the series including both the original and the PS2 remake of WA1. It's pretty good, actually.

mopinks
08-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Maybe Pikmin 2? I don't know why I never played it, I loved Pikmin.

my favorite (and maybe least favorite) thing about Pikmin 2 is how it pretty much makes the first game obsolete by being better than it in every possible way! in conclusion, play it

blitzchamp
08-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Ok heres my request in order of importance:

Snatcher
FFV Advance
FFVIII

ringworm
08-10-2007, 12:48 PM
FFVIII
I will be completely shocked if this actually happens.

blitzchamp
08-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I will be completely shocked if this actually happens.

haha im requesting it because i havent finished it, and maybe id finish it if it was selected lol

Calorie Mate
08-10-2007, 02:05 PM
FFVIII

While I have absolutely no desire to ever return to it, the thought of everyone in this forum going back and playing it and discussing it together is an incredibly tempting thought.

Mightyblue
08-10-2007, 03:44 PM
Guys. Playing through FFVIII won't be a bad thing. Out of all the PS1 FF's (Besides Tactics and debatedly IX) it's probably aged the best, despite how much you guys harp on the battle system and the whole GF/Draw magic thing.

djSyndrome
08-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Guys. Playing through FFVIII won't be a bad thing. Out of all the PS1 FF's (Besides Tactics and debatedly IX) it's probably aged the best, despite how much you guys harp on the battle system and the whole GF/Draw magic thing.

Isn't accessibility one of the requirements of the Fun Club? You can't just walk into Fry's and pick up a copy of FFVIII any longer.

Eusis
08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Man, with how much SE is crapping out ports and reamkes, it might be a matter of monthes before we hear about FFVII-IX being ported to the PSP.

Oh, yeah, on a similar note I was going to mention that SS2 is cheap... But a lucky deal at EB years ago isn't indicative of what you'd pay years later. A quick glance showed it at $40-$60 used on eBay. Would've required time to ship anyway now that I think about it, making next week sorta bad for it.

ringworm
08-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Playing through FFVIII won't be a bad thing. Out of all the PS1 FF's it's probably aged the best...
A dried turd doesn't look any different from one day to the next, unless you poke it with a stick, then it falls apart...

...I'm really not sure where I'm going with this, that metaphor didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

djSyndrome
08-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Man, with how much SE is crapping out ports and reamkes, it might be a matter of monthes before we hear about FFVII-IX being ported to the PSP.

That might make sense to us, but in Japan they just crank out another run (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/uh/). Easy to do since Sony keeps supporting backwards compatibility.

Parish
08-10-2007, 03:57 PM
Eh, several million copies of FFVIII were sold, and it's super cheap and easy to find. It's certainly a stronger likelihood than, say, Snatcher.

djSyndrome
08-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Eh, several million copies of FFVIII were sold, and it's super cheap and easy to find. It's certainly a stronger likelihood than, say, Snatcher.

Holy shit, you're right. It's only ten bucks on eBay. I must be thinking of VII.

Still, you wouldn't do that to us. Would you?

Eusis
08-10-2007, 04:01 PM
I'd mind more because I've got other stuff I want to play more than I hate the game, heh. It might actually be interesting to revisit it nowadays. Also, I saw that GQD still carries it and $15, so unlike VII the availability situation isn't absolutely stupid.

Parish
08-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Eh, maybe someday. I love FFVIII, but like most post-SNES Final Fantasy games it's best appreciated from a distance -- load times and junction-arranging bog the game the hell down and I don't have the patience to get into it anymore.

Also, I would have to disagree that FFVIII has aged best of all the PSX titles. That distinction would go to FFIX, simply because it came pre-aged. It feels no more contrived and dated now than it did in 2000.

cortbassist89
08-10-2007, 05:51 PM
That distinction would go to FFIX

Seconded!

blitzchamp
08-10-2007, 07:47 PM
It's certainly a stronger likelihood than, say, Snatcher.

That's true, most people don't even have their Sega CD's anymore. We'd have to be emulating it to do that.

bobservo
08-11-2007, 08:28 PM
I'm really itching to play through Shadow of the Colossus again.

MechaX
08-11-2007, 08:49 PM
A dried turd doesn't look any different from one day to the next, unless you poke it with a stick, then it falls apart...

...I'm really not sure where I'm going with this, that metaphor didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

Don't worry, making fun of Zell never gets old.

... Well... I guess that's a double-edged sword, since the flame material for the FF8 characters writes itself at some points. But it would give me a good excuse to go through the game again.

As for the nomination, I also support Persona 3. Given the raving MegaTen fan that I am, it's pretty much a day one purchase. But I'll probably put off playing it for a week because I want the irony to flow when I play it during school. That, and it gives me some time to finish up Persona 2.

Vahn16
08-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Even though it's probably already decided, Persona 3 has my vote as well.

Sarcasmorator
08-12-2007, 08:21 PM
I think doing this with Civilization could be fun. Maybe it could work as sort of a daily diary of what you have to go through in a typical game? Something like this? (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=161570&site=pcg)

Any Civ would do, actually. And for those without a retail Civ game, there's Freeciv. (http://www.freeciv.org/index.php/Freeciv)

Eusis
08-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Eh, seems to me that Civ's gotten pretty cheap. You can get the Civilization Chronicles for $40 now I believe.

switchbeat
08-13-2007, 06:09 PM
Is Drill Dozer for the GBA too obscure to make it on the, say, 2008 list?

Eusis
08-13-2007, 06:16 PM
Is that still easily findable? I know it was going for $10-15 a year ago or close enough.

Merus
08-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Has anyone mentioned any of the GTA games or Bully? Just to be different.

Eusis
08-13-2007, 07:45 PM
I did, but I also said it'd be better to wait for the ports to hit.

switchbeat
08-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Is that still easily findable? I know it was going for $10-15 a year ago or close enough.

Drill Dozer is available on Amazon ($28 new/$10 used).

reibeatall
08-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Drill Dozer is available on Amazon ($28 new/$10 used).

If you find it at Toys'r'us it's 10 bucks.

SlimJimm
08-18-2007, 11:22 PM
I know it was said that Super Metroid will be on the Game Club soon, but how about Metroid Prime 1? Ive seen Metroid Prime 1 and 2 for about $10 at Gamestops.

dussssstin
08-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Maybe next month we do a halo2 week? So everyone can get that little bit of practice before the release of halo 3. Plus I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one that wants to take Parish on the field.

Eusis
08-19-2007, 06:36 PM
It seems there's already a Halo week next month, both 1 and 2. I'm playing through 1 anyway, if both are being done the same week I'd rather get Halo 1 out of the way and replay Halo 2 then.

dussssstin
08-19-2007, 08:27 PM
I say screw Halo 2 campaign let's all throw it down on multiplayer

Parish
08-19-2007, 10:43 PM
Sorry, having tried out all the goodies in store for Halo 3, I can never even consider playing Halo 2's multiplayer again.

ringworm
08-19-2007, 11:35 PM
Sorry, having tried out all the goodies in store for Halo 3, I can never even consider playing Halo 2's multiplayer again.
So spoiled!

Parish
08-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Eh, it's only an exclusive party for a few more weeks. Then I think we'll have a Fun Club week dedicated entirely to collaborative insanity in Forge.

Stiv
08-20-2007, 07:11 PM
System Shock 2's actually pretty doable, since there's a torrent (of dubious legality, but it's not like anyone sells the game anymore) available from The Underdogs. I hear it's not difficult to get it to run on XP, either. And in the future if we're crazy enough to actually do Planescape: Torment then, well, that's still being sold. (http://www.gogamer.com/Planescape-Torment---SoulBringer-Combo-Pack-Front-Page_stcVVproductId4760711VVcatId444710VVviewprod. htm) Crazy, I know!

Even though it'll probably never be available on VC, I'm going to put in a vote for Lufia 2 some month in the clearly distant future.

reibeatall
08-20-2007, 07:28 PM
Eh, it's only an exclusive party for a few more weeks. Then I think we'll have a Fun Club week dedicated entirely to collaborative insanity in Forge.

JENGA!

Parish
08-30-2007, 06:31 PM
So, dudes, would Persona 3 be good for the September RPG? Or would we prefer something else. Speak up! I need affirmation! Or alternatives.

shivam
08-30-2007, 06:32 PM
i'm all about persona 3, but that discussion is pretty strong right now. Maybe a PSP tactics game? Lots of those right now.

Jeanie
08-30-2007, 06:36 PM
Wish I could think of an alternative. I think there's no reason for another thread devoted to Persona 3 considering it's at over 500 posts right now. What could be said that isn't in the old thread?

Mightyblue
08-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Growlanser perhaps? Or Wild Arms 5. Those are the only new RPGs coming out in the next few weeks. Or we could do something older, say, one of the Valkyrie Profile games?

Rosencrantz
08-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Growlanser perhaps? Or Wild Arms 5. Those are the only new RPGs coming out in the next few weeks. Or we could do something older, say, one of the Valkyrie Profile games?

Eternal Sonata is coming out in less than three weeks, I believe.

Mightyblue
08-30-2007, 06:53 PM
Yes, but not all of us have a 360, or 60 bucks to drop on a game like that, especially if we're just doing a fun club thing.

Eusis
08-30-2007, 06:54 PM
There's Blue Dragon, but the reviews are kinda middling and personally I'm waiting on it, and if next to no one else bothers what's the point?. Other than that and others already listed, I can only think of old ones, and those are better for a slow month and not when countless great and must-have titles are hitting shelves.

Anyways, since I'm still not too far into P3 (early-mid June here) a freshly started topic would admittedly be easier to get into.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it wouldn't Eternal Sonata be worse not for being on the X360 but for coming towards the end of September? Makes it a more ideal October RPG if you ask me.

Ben1842
08-30-2007, 07:49 PM
I would love Growlancer but it doesn't come out till the 18th.

I plan to buy it as soon as I can.

I really liked 2+3

Zef
08-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I'd be up for either Blue Dragon or Eternal Sonata. I need something to pull me back into a nice and steady gaming groove again (I haven't touched a console game in ages.)

I still have 80% of FF12 to play through, and here I am planning two others. Why do I do this to myself? http://www.the-weaving.com/images/temp/emot-gonk.gif

Parish
08-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Well, let's do something old, then. Something portable! I want to play on the bus. And it's gonna be a while before there's a next-gen RPG worth playing, honestly. I'm leaning toward DS (or GBA), simply because I like the brighter screen. Some options:

FFV Advance
FF Tactics Advance
Summon Night
Izuna
Mega Man Star Force
Brave Story
something else?

I'm kinda leaning toward FFTA -- we could do a Tactics double-header with September and October. And I need the excuse to play FFTA before A2 comes out anyway....

Mightyblue
08-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Lunar Knights?

Red Hedgehog
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
GBA/DS RPGs?

My top pick would probably be Final Fantasy V since I've never played that before.

I'll also throw in votes for:
Car Battler Joe
Final Fantasy III
Golden Sun
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time
Mazes of Fate
Riviera: The Promised Land
Shining Force: Resurrection of Dark Dragon
Summon Knight
Super Robot Taisen
Tactics Ogre
Tales of Phantasia
Yggdra Union

I only beat Final Fantasy Tactics Advance a year ago and while I enjoyed it, I don't particularly feel like replaying it so soon.

Yeah, I have too many unfinished games. Wanna make something of it?

Zef
08-30-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm the opposite: I haven't played FFTA in a while, but I just maxed out FFV including the bonus content, and today I reached Zozo in VI... yet I'd enjoy the commentary. Superstar Saga would give me an excuse to finally buy it, though, and I could do with a replay of Partners in Time.

How's the GBA version of Tales of Phantasia? I played the translated Super Famicom version about seven years ago, getting as far as Dhaos' fortress after the aerial battle, then I kinda... never picked it up again for some reason. I did have fun with it, though.

shivam
08-30-2007, 11:20 PM
plus, ffv becomes rapidly unfun once you've mastered all the classes.

Calorie Mate
08-30-2007, 11:32 PM

Or even before that, for some people!

Eusis
08-31-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm voting FFV. I'm about... 2/3rds through? Whatever, I'm about to enter Exdeath's castle and think World 2's about done, then stopped because I was doing sidequests and got my ass kicked by that stupid Gil Turtle. I managed to get through that particular bit anyway, but haven't resumed since.

I could also go for FFIII, Contact, and Riviera though.

estragon
08-31-2007, 12:50 AM
I just want to voice encouragement for the general idea of another portable RPG because I want to fun club with you guys but have no TV. (I missed out on Etrian because I was internetless for almost a month after I moved to Japan.)

Also, I throw out a vote for anthing on the DS because even in a comparatively rural area I live a 10 minute walk away from two different stores with painfully good selections of used and new DS games. I'm sure I could get a hold of FFTA easily enough though, however, so that would also be cool. (Although the just thinking about the judges does drive me insane.)

Edit to respond to shivam: I would argue that FFV becoming unfun after mastering all the classes is a fault of the player, not the game. You generally don't master all the classes unless you make a concerted effort to do so. Powergrinding =/= broken game.

Torgo
08-31-2007, 01:17 AM
FFTA would be a decent choice. Point in fact, any of the FF Advanced games would be good... though I'm restraining myself from replaying IV until the DS version. That said, Tactics Advance would not be my first choice. I liked the game well enough, but what I had played a few years back was good enough for me and I've never felt any inclination to return to it.

Shining Force wouldn't be bad either; Between original carts, the gba version, and the recent VC release, it's something most of us could probably play without a lot of hassle. It's also one of the few trpgs I can play that doesn't trigger a nasty mental reflex that tells me, "You know, you could just be playing FFT and be having so much more fun."

Izuna would also be good because it would give me an excuse to pick it up like I had intended to do when it came out.

Parish
08-31-2007, 09:53 PM
Shivam, if you play FFV in such a way that you actually master more than a handful of classes, you're mindlessly grinding and it's your own damn fault for spoiling the game for yourself. Talk about missing the point of the game -- it's designed so that the difficulty ramps up as your skills built.

Anyway, based on, uh, popular demand, the RPG for Sept. is down to three choices, I guess:

Final Fantasy V
Disgaea
Izuna or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (really! it's good)

I'm personally leaning toward Disgaea now, because I've always wanted to play it, the game is fairly old by now, it's an intricate game like Etrian, and I know people get totally into it... but mostly because EGM just handed me a review copy of Afternoon of Darkness and I want company. I guess that's kinda selfish though. Mebbe we should save it for November, once the PSP game is out.

Vote now! I'll tally up votes Saturday night and go with the most popular choice.

shivam
08-31-2007, 10:36 PM
disgaea killed three ps2s i had. Never again, laharl, never again.

I'd rather Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or izuna.

reibeatall
08-31-2007, 10:49 PM
I could never get into Disgaea, because the whole time I was playing it, I was thinking "I wish I was playing Final Fantasy Tactics." That game has spoiled me.

I vote for Final Fantasy V. I've always wanted to get into it, but I could only play for about 5 hours before other games got in the way.

poetfox
08-31-2007, 10:57 PM
If we pick Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, which I dunno if it'll happen, but if we do, and someone starts a game and becomes an Eevee? Turn that shit off and answer the questions differently. I made sure to be an Eevee because I like Eevee, and that shit is hard mode because you learn no useful attacks. I beat all bosses I got to by throwing a million stupid rocks.

I do vote for it, though. Mostly because I already own it. Also, I'd like a reason to beat the last two or three bosses I have left in the story... though I'll have to buy a ton of rocks...

Makkara
09-01-2007, 12:51 AM
I vote for Final Fantasy V, becuase I started a replay a couple of weeks ago and have been slacking off lately. I need some peer pressure to get back to it.

estragon
09-01-2007, 01:26 AM
Out of those three I'd go for Izuna or Mystery Dungeon, because I've never played them before.

I'm also down for FFV, because I already own it. (Althoug I played through it about half a year ago.)

Eusis
09-01-2007, 06:23 AM
I guess my old post already covers this, but I'm voting FFV. I wouldn't mind Disgaea if I hadn't given in and spoiled the best ending for myself. Probably better to save it for the PSP port's release anyway like noted.

Also, it might be a good idea to bring back up P3 a few months from now for those that drop the game or were late in getting it, kinda like how FFV is good now.

djSyndrome
09-01-2007, 06:45 AM
Final Fantasy V.

(I'm assuming any version is okay).

blindblue
09-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Voting Disgaea here, P:MD was garbage and my copy of FFV is across the sea. Rune Factory for DS, if we're talking portable games.

Also, it might be a good idea to bring back up P3 a few months from now for those that drop the game or were late in getting it, kinda like how FFV is good now.

From the P3 thread, it seems like there are two groups playing it: those who were already hyped for it, got it the first couple days it was available, and have made it to the late-game or beaten it, and then people who heard the positive buzz, picked it up later, and are in the first half of the game.

I don't think it needs an all-new Fun Club thread, but maybe the former group can get a thread split so they can discuss the story without fear of spoiling it for everyone else.

Octopus Prime
09-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Of those three, I'm leaning toward FFV. This is mainly because it's my favorite of all those mentioned.

shivam
09-01-2007, 09:47 AM
Shivam, if you play FFV in such a way that you actually master more than a handful of classes, you're mindlessly grinding and it's your own damn fault for spoiling the game for yourself. Talk about missing the point of the game -- it's designed so that the difficulty ramps up as your skills built.

As for this, I'm just terribly OCD about some things, and getting EVERY LITTLE THING POSSIBLE in a game is foremost amongst those. Second is mastering every class i can. It's like, i will level up, and then i'll see that Oh, if i *just* get 2 more AP, i'll get that ability. but now the other guy is just 5 AP away from his next one. Oh, what the hell, i can't not have quad attack with everyone. Hey, while i'm here, might as well buff their magic stat, right? and on and on and on.

I prefer ff tactics, because it makes each class viable and important for various scenarios, and encourages customization without leading to grinding every class to full mastery. FFV, with its intrinsic bonuses from mastering a class, leads to mass grinding to master everything.

djSyndrome
09-01-2007, 11:20 AM
For fun, I farm the statues in Bal Basement for hours on end.

shivam
09-01-2007, 11:33 AM
26 hours and counting!

Parish
09-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm fascinated that you ascribe the tedium you find in Final Fantasy V to an innate flaw within the game.

ringworm
09-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I had actually started FFV shortly before the Fun Club started, and while I wouldn't mind an excuse to actually finish it (I'm probably halfway through it), I also kind of like having Parish pick things I wouldn't normally try. Disgaea or Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for example.

shivam
09-01-2007, 12:38 PM
i love the idea inherent in the class system of ffv. I just don't think the story validates the engine enough to keep playing once you've worked the system. FFT learned how to marry a complex class system with a compelling story so that even after you game the system, you've still got a reason to continue.

Obviously, we can't expect FFV to be more than it is, given its age and such, but even in its generation, the game is overshadowed by the stories of 4 and 6, and the class system is not enough to save it.

But hey, if you guys all decide to play FFV, i'll restart from scratch and play along.

estragon
09-01-2007, 06:22 PM
overshadowed by the stories of 4

This is wrong on so many levels.

To be fair, I did think the story in IV was basically the best thing ever when I first played it in 3rd grade.

Eusis
09-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Man, I wonder if anyone that young DIDN'T think that. I know I felt the same way then.

estragon
09-01-2007, 06:37 PM
As I got older I started to hope that the SNES Final Fantasy were actually incredibly well written but hampered by bad translations. Playing through the FFIV-VIj Advance in the past year or so destroyed all of my remaining nostalgia. I still think the gameplay in V and VI is excellent, however.

Edit: Sorry for taking this so far off topic... I'm a failure.

djSyndrome
09-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Playing through the FFIV-VIj Advance last year destroyed all of my remaining nostalgia.

Same here. All of the bugs and shitty music were just icing on the cake.

estragon
09-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Same here. All of the bugs and shitty music were just icing on the cake.

I dunno. The bugs were only really obnoxious in IV. I could deal with the music issues, because I sort of figured going in that it was a GBA port, so my expectations were low.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to kill myself nobly to end the terrible threadjacking I've helped perpetrate. Don't worry, though, I'll be back as soon as someone needs a convenient deus ex machina rescue, spiritual support, and/or minor airship renovation!

Ben1842
09-01-2007, 08:08 PM
Okay time to get this thread back on track,

I loved Disgaea and the sequel. I'm not going to play it agian though until the psp version.

it's supposed to have a "second quest" where you play as Edna.

That's just me though, for all that haven't played it....GO do it now.

MCBanjoMike
09-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I was hoping to play Disgaea on the PS2, but not quite yet, so my vote would be to push that back a month or two and play it once the PSP version hits. As for FF V, well, I'm just in the process of finishing up FF III. Either playing V right now would be Final Fantasy overkill, or else I'd just appreciate the faster pace and improved job system that much more. If you don't choose FF V, I'd be happy if it came up in a month or two.

And Pokemon Mystery Dungeon? I'm not touching that with a 39 1/2 foot pole. but if you guys want to get into it, then I'll just keep working on my backlog...

Torgo
09-01-2007, 10:05 PM
I'll pass on Disgaea myself. While I've never played it, I wrapped up the sequel not too long ago and I'm not terribly interested in revisiting those mechanics. I vote wait until November when Afternoon of Darkness is available for (most of) the rest of us.

Then again, will everyone be okay with doing two trpgs back-to-back, and will it really seem all that great after FFT?*

Given those choices? Izuna. FFV doesn't strike me all that much. It's excellent, but yeah, I kinda gotta agree with shivam, IV and VI are much more awesome. Point in fact I've wanted to replay IV for awhile now, but I'm saving it for when the DS game comes out.

*I assume that FFT is more or less in the bag for October since it comes out in both the US and Europe at the beginning of the month.

Torgo
09-02-2007, 12:29 AM
Actually, I don't care what you guys pick. If it's something I don't have I won't be able to get it: After doing some basic number crunching, I pretty much can't afford any games this month. Not even Halo 3.

Zen
09-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I also found it tedious, and I'm not all about mastering classes as soon as I get them or anything. I love how many side quests there are, but I guess I just always invested in the wrong abilities and got stuck where I had to grind up the ones I should have been using.

Maybe it didn't help that I played the fan translation, either.

ringworm
09-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Maybe it didn't help that I played the fan translation, either.
Honestly I don't think the official translation is any better. I played the FFV fan translation when I was in High School and picked it up for the GBA recently expecting a better experience. I think the story is just garbage with dull characters. Translation ain't gonna fix that.

Zen
09-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Oh, absolutely. I mostly just meant that the usefulness of abilities is often conveyed in their names and in short descriptions, and I could see one translation guiding me into useful territory better than another.

Also, Butz.

Brickroad
09-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Hey, what're the odds of Cave Story getting picked for Fun Club at some nonspecific point in the future? I think if there's one game all of Talking Time could get behind and gush about, it would be one that is both free AND awesome.

Issun
09-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Allow me to be horribly self-centered for a few paragraphs:
Please to be choosing Super Castlevania IV in a couple of weeks as the alternate. Because I'll probably be done with BioShock and Odin Sphere and ready to finally try and get through it by then.
Also, it would be interesting to occasionally have RPGs that some of us (read:I) love, but that you, Jeremy, are somewhat ambivalent about (Super Mario RPG), or even fairly well dislike (Xenogears).
But not Xenosaga. Never Xenosaga. I submit that I hate it more than anyone else here. Yes, even you Mr. Parish.

Zen
09-05-2007, 06:48 PM
It's worth exploring just as a sort of contextual procession from Chrono Trigger, but sadly it would necessitate making Chrono Trigger the RPG for another month just to clear the taste out of our brains.

Also, I would like to in advance vote against anything with "Suikoden" in its title.

Torgo
09-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I can totally reminisce about Suikoden II. Actually play it? I wish.

Red Hedgehog
09-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Moving to non-RPGs, I think Boktai would be worth a fun whirl some time.

Eusis
09-05-2007, 07:30 PM
Boktai will probably need to be done soon, otherwise people will be screwed in playing it. Would a few weeks from now be ideal?

djSyndrome
09-05-2007, 07:44 PM
Also, I would like to in advance vote against anything with "Suikoden" in its title.

In before Shivam goes apeshit.

alexb
09-05-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey, guys. I'm going to recommend something and I'm totally serious. Why don't we play Romancing Saga on PS2? It's actually not crazy bad like it's siblings. I mean it. But it is really vague, so this collaborative style would work well with it. Also, it has some certifiably bad ass music.

I also second Cave Story. We could also play its predecessor, Ikachan.

ChelseaQ
09-05-2007, 07:57 PM
Also, it has some certifiably bad ass music.

Yes, the music is reason enough to play Romancing SaGa. I could go for that.

Also, Rune Factory would be good. The first good Harvest Moon in a while.

Eusis
09-05-2007, 07:59 PM
I have to second RSG. In fact, the openness also means everyone could have pretty unique experiences to talk about. It helps though that I just got it recently.

Thinaran
09-06-2007, 12:33 AM
I'm all for Suikoden II. I need a kick in the ass to continue on it.

Torgo
09-06-2007, 12:38 AM
The game itself isn't reason enough?

Vahn16
09-06-2007, 01:17 AM
I'm up for some Suikoden II, although I highly doubt I'll have time to beat it during the actual Fun Club month, or the next, or the one after that...

alexb
09-06-2007, 02:00 AM
But how readily available, much less affordable, is Suikoden 2?

Thinaran
09-06-2007, 02:12 AM
Oh. Umm ... not very.

Zen
09-06-2007, 11:02 PM
I never figured out what was supposed to be the good part of that game.

Sarcasmorator
09-06-2007, 11:06 PM
The whole beginning, middle and end are really good.

Guy
09-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I'd like Earthbound or Cave Story.

Eusis
09-06-2007, 11:23 PM
Earthbound should immediately be the followup RPG of the month when it hits the VC. Also, with all the Cave Story votes and just how accessible it is that really should be a selection sometime.

Parish
09-06-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm kinda saving a bunch of the good games, the ones I'm wanting to play myself, until after the fall reviews rush. I got boned on MGS3 (still haven't finished) and BioShock (still haven't played) and I don't want to miss out on the likes of Cave Story....

Ben1842
09-06-2007, 11:37 PM
Yeah we kinda started the fun club at a weird time. That being said I still love it.

I hope we can hold on to it till the drought that is definitely on the way this spring.

Zen
09-07-2007, 12:44 PM
We have to do Cave Story twice, too. Once where everyone gets the normal ending, then once where everyone plays the 100% game but dies in Hell.

Violentvixen
09-07-2007, 02:10 PM
I really wish Seiken Densetsu 3 was easier to find by legal means.

djSyndrome
09-07-2007, 02:18 PM
I really wish Seiken Densetsu 3 was easier to find by legal means.

Erm (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Seiken+Densetsu+3&category0=)....

Violentvixen
09-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Weird, I tried looking for it a couple months ago and couldn't find it. Hooray for Ebay.

But anyway, there's still a language barrier for the non-emulator version.

MCBanjoMike
09-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Erm (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=Seiken+Densetsu+3&category0=)....

They speak English in erm, motherfucker?

djSyndrome
09-07-2007, 03:27 PM
They speak English in erm, motherfucker?

He asked about finding the game by legal means. Nothing about English was mentioned.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/djSyndrome/oh_snap.gif

MCBanjoMike
09-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Mr. Jackson and I were simply trying to make a point.

http://www.weeklyfilm.com/images/Moviepics/jules.gif

Violentvixen
09-07-2007, 08:24 PM
"You know what they call Seiken Densetsu 2?"
"They don't call it Seiken Densetu 2?"
"No, man, they called the first one Final Fantasy Adventure. They wouldn't know what the fuck Seiken Densetsu is."

Zen
09-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Good show!

Mr. Sensible
09-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Howsabout Shadow of the Colossus? Goes down smooth with no bitter aftertaste.

Adrenaline
09-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Howsabout Shadow of the Colossus? Goes down smooth with no bitter aftertaste.

It's already on the list

Ben1842
09-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Is there somewhere I can see said list?

Maybe Jeremy could sticky a list of the upcoming games.
That way I can get them in advance.

Red Hedgehog
09-10-2007, 07:52 AM
The main fun club (http://www.gamespite.net/toastywiki/index.php/Games/FunClub) page has a list of upcoming games, though they aren't necessarily in the order that they be used for fun club.

Brickroad
09-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are on the list, eh?

Neat choices, but how many of us actually own them? I hear they're expensive-ish.

(I've got my copies, and no you can't have them.)

blindblue
09-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Suikoden and Suikoden 2 are on the list, eh?

Neat choices, but how many of us actually own them? I hear they're expensive-ish.

(I've got my copies, and no you can't have them.)

I have a copy of I but not II. It should be noted that II emulates at full speed.

*innocent whistling*

Zen
09-10-2007, 07:47 PM
That's not fast enough. The random battles were more annoying than in any other RPG I've played.

Guy
09-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I'd like to see Chrono Cross as a monthly RPG at some point. I bought an SNES power cord on eBay in the hopes that I'd get it in time for a quick runthrough of Chrono Trigger before the end of the month, and I happened to search Chrono Cross and find a sealed copy for $9.99 in an auction that was ending in 28 minutes.

So yeah I thought we could I dunno play sometime or something.

Daremo
10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Earthbound and (if Nintendo sees fit to put it on VC) Earthbound Zero.

Falselogic
10-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Loved this game, so hoping it comes up soon!

Brickroad
10-05-2007, 12:31 PM
I have a copy of I but not II. It should be noted that II emulates at full speed.

*innocent whistling*

Hey, wait a minute! That whistling isn't innocent AT ALL!

Just who do you think you're trying to fool, here!?

djSyndrome
10-11-2007, 10:31 AM
This is going to be an odd request, but how about Nocturne for November's Fun Club RPG? It's by no means cheap or easy to find, but lots of people seem to be ordering it and will be playing it for the first time.

ringworm
10-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Something like 5 of us recently managed to get our hands on it right?

Balrog
10-11-2007, 11:11 AM
This is going to be an odd request, but how about Nocturne for November's Fun Club RPG? It's by no means cheap or easy to find, but lots of people seem to be ordering it and will be playing it for the first time.

Something like 5 of us recently managed to get our hands on it right?

5 = lots

Also, this is the one of the first RPG's (besides P3) that I've enjoyed on a console(PS2, XBOX, Wii, GC) in a long while. I vote yes!

tungwene
10-11-2007, 11:19 AM
I'll vote yes too. Maybe it'll be the excuse I need to play more than the first few hours of it.

liquid
10-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Has anyone mentioned Fallout 2? Because, holy goddamn, Fallout 2.

As far as alternates go, Doom/Doom 2 and SimCity might be fun to play. So would Kirby Super Star, Metal Warriors, and the SNES version of Alien 3, although those would probably be a bit harder for people to get their hands on.

Drooling Iguana
10-18-2007, 10:53 PM
Freespace 2 should be on this list. It's free so everyone can play it and it's awesome.

Dark Cloud 2 also needs to be added to the RPG list. You can find it used for fairly cheap these days (I regularily see it at EB for CAN$12) and it's also awesome. It'd probably take more than a month to get through it, though. My save has 100 hours on it so far and I'm just starting the last chapter.

Shadax
10-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Can I suggest Castlevania II for this week's Alt.?

It'd probably actually get some discussion going, unlike the past few selections.

Jeanie
10-29-2007, 01:00 PM
Well when the Main Selections are Rondo of Blood, SOTN, Drac X AND the RPG is Final Fantasy Tactics, guess what the posters on this site are gonna play.

Also I too would second any of the PC Fallout games or any Phoenix Wright game.

Parish
10-31-2007, 09:38 PM
So... any November RPG requests? Disgaea might be OK, but maybe we should do something that isn't a tactical RPG.

shivam
10-31-2007, 09:43 PM
How about Hellgate? Does that even count as an RPG for our purposes?

spineshark
10-31-2007, 09:46 PM
I don't think that would see much action.

But I have to admit, I'm having a really hard time thinking of anything that's not worse.

I was about to say Ogre Battle, but that's a TRPG of course. Something SNES though perhaps.

shivam
10-31-2007, 09:56 PM
how about going really old school, and doing dragon warrior 4? or Phantasy Star 2?

spineshark
10-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I would have to call that a good call.

Or one of the other three Phantasy Star games...I'm still not sure I'm ready to play II again. It's amazing in a lot of ways, but it's a hard time.

Eirikr
10-31-2007, 10:26 PM
I know Dj mentioned Nocturne because lots of people just got it. I don't need any excuses to play through that game again. And again. And again.

shivam
10-31-2007, 10:31 PM
well, i can beat phantasy star 4 in a sitting these days, so it wouldnt make for a very productive month.

djSyndrome
10-31-2007, 10:36 PM
how about going really old school, and doing dragon warrior 4? or Phantasy Star 2?

Because DWIV is near impossible to legally come by and Phantasy Star II sucks.

Zef
10-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Paper Mario (original or Thousand Year Door,) the Mario & Luigi games, or a Tales game (thinking Phantasia or Symphonia here) would be good. Would've suggested Jeanne D'Arc, but after the meaty experience of FFT that might be a bit too "lite" for the rest of you.

Parish
10-31-2007, 11:10 PM
Dragon Warrior IV would probably work better next spring when it's released on DS in the U.S., no?

Eusis
10-31-2007, 11:11 PM
Hmm. We had retro the month before with CT. Besides, DWIV is best saved for when the DS port arrives, and the Phantasy Stars... IV's the only one that's aged well at all. I really liked II, but it's not something I want to seriously play again unless it's a remake or something, and I've been kinda tempted to play III due to reading the Book of the Long Sun though I realize that's in all likelihood a really bad idea. I've got 1 unfinished, but the GBA collection has been known to have issues.

Maybe something recent-ish should be done now? FFXII perhaps? Vampire: Bloodlines is just $10 for the next few days on Steam, maybe that'd be a good PC choice and a pretty dramatic switch from FFT (though I missed out this month).

In fact, any Bioware or Black Isle/Troika/Obsidian RPG would be nice to cover sometime... Oh hey, there's Mass Effect coming out soon!

Torgo
10-31-2007, 11:40 PM
I would say FFV, but considering FFT's job system is so heavily inspired from it that might not be a hot idea.

Wasn't Izuna thrown around a couple months back? I would consider picking that up since I pretty much always intended to. (Though that said, just how many of us here have it or would follow suit?)

Eusis mentioned Bioware, I nominate Knights of the Old Republic. I would play that again in a heartbeat.

Gredlen
11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
I nominate Final Fantasy 3 DS.
Mostly because I'm playing through it right now.

Paul le Fou
11-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Front Mission? It's... it's new and stuff, and not only is it old-school but most of us haven't played it before! And out of those it seems a decent number of us want to!

Thinaran
11-01-2007, 01:58 AM
I know Dj mentioned Nocturne because lots of people just got it. I don't need any excuses to play through that game again. And again. And again.
I'm up for this.

estragon
11-01-2007, 01:58 AM
How about Persona 3? I don't think there's been any discussion about that game on this board at all.

. . .

. . .

. . .

What?

reibeatall
11-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Front Mission? It's... it's new and stuff, and not only is it old-school but most of us haven't played it before! And out of those it seems a decent number of us want to!

While I like Front Mission DS, I think it being a fun club game after FFT would be too much TRPG for a while.

Sven
11-14-2007, 03:11 PM
How about going the opposite direction and picking Seiken Detensu 3? Not as well known as Secret of Mana, readily available, and I've been meaning to try out a goofy party a friend suggested a couple of years ago (aka one that involves neither Edge nor Angela) but never had the excuse.

Plus, ample discussion possibilities as everyone will be flailing around with "... WTF?" questions at the party selection screen.

I'll save the "X-COM!" whining until the new year, since we're gonna have to set aside two months for that one. :)

djSyndrome
11-14-2007, 03:14 PM
How about going the opposite direction and picking Seiken Detensu 3? Not as well known as Secret of Mana, readily available, and I've been meaning to try out a goofy party a friend suggested a couple of years ago (aka one that involves neither Edge nor Angela) but never had the excuse.

Because it's not legally readily available in English?

(I think we've had this discussion before. Like, one page ago.)

Anonymooo
11-14-2007, 03:20 PM
I cast my vote/beg for Shenmue as a future RPG title. A game of Lucky Hit (and Ryo's wide, laser-staring eyes) will make everybody's day better.

Red Hedgehog
11-14-2007, 06:22 PM
I'll save the "X-COM!" whining until the new year, since we're gonna have to set aside two months for that one. :)

Oh God yes, X-Com! Does it play well under DOSbox? Too bad the sequel was so frustrating.

Dadgum Roi
11-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Oh God yes, X-Com! Does it play well under DOSbox? Too bad the sequel was so frustrating.

An alternative to X-Com could be Rebelstar: Tactical Command for the GBA. You can get it for cheap, and it has the advantage of being playable on a current gen system.

Sven
11-15-2007, 07:59 AM

I've never actually tried loading my copy of the original under DosBox, interestingly enough. Anyway, the Windows-compatible Gold version is the better game of the two, since the number of aliens is turned WAY THE %@#! UP and the fixed the maps out of the box.

Of course, that thing crashes in Vista if you look at it funny. I actually have half a mind to keep my old, first-year-of-law-school laptop around forever just because Windows 2000 never had any trouble running X-Com.

If X-Com is impossible due to compatability concerns and the fact it isn't on Underdogs, I think Master of Orion (the original) is another worthy nominee.

Makkara
11-15-2007, 08:05 AM
If X-Com is impossible due to compatability concerns and the fact it isn't on Underdogs, I think Master of Orion (the original) is another worthy nominee.

I'll support this. I've probably put more than a thousand hours into MoO2, (by far my favorite 4X game) but I haven't really tried the original.

Sprite
11-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Has anyone suggested Eternal Daughter? Cave Story made me think of that one. It's probably the best game made with Multimedia Fusion. Free, short, and really hard, I think it'd be a great alternative selection. Plus, Fun Club would probably encourage me to finally finish it.

mr_bungle700
11-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Eternal Daughter is great, but the control scheme (shift = jump, ctrl = attack) is hell on my left hand and makes the game even more difficult than it should be. I got to the very end, where it basically becomes a series of nearly impossible boss fights, and gave up about halfway through because I got tired of wrestling with the controls and the bosses at the same time.

Other than that one little problem, though, I think it's an amazing game.

Sprite
11-18-2007, 11:13 PM
Eternal Daughter is great, but the control scheme (shift = jump, ctrl = attack) is hell on my left hand and makes the game even more difficult than it should be. I got to the very end, where it basically becomes a series of nearly impossible boss fights, and gave up about halfway through because I got tired of wrestling with the controls and the bosses at the same time.

Other than that one little problem, though, I think it's an amazing game.

I forget, does ED let you change the control scheme? I know you can change it to a joypad, at least, but most MMF games let you change the keyboard controls as well with Ctrl+Y. They might have taken that out, though. Personally I'm used to Shift/Ctrl controls after so many years of klicking.

MCBanjoMike
11-22-2007, 09:28 AM
I personally love Cave Story to death, but can't stand Eternal Daughter. Extremely high difficulty combined with super-short attack range plus evil bosses equals no fun for Mike. Don't get me wrong, I love Derek Yu's art and some of his old games (although SnowBrawl was pretty hard too), but I find ED an exercise in frustration.

Is Disgaea going to get a turn as RPG of the month now that it's on PSP? I'm about half way through on the PS2 and I could really use a good reason to pick it up again. I had lots of fun with it for the first 20 hours, but then I ran out of steam.

mr_bungle700
11-22-2007, 03:42 PM
I forget, does ED let you change the control scheme? I know you can change it to a joypad, at least, but most MMF games let you change the keyboard controls as well with Ctrl+Y. They might have taken that out, though. Personally I'm used to Shift/Ctrl controls after so many years of klicking.

I had no idea about the Ctrl+Y thing, but I just tried it and no, it doesn't work in ED. Such a shame.

Mightyblue
11-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Why not some Mega Man? There's more than a few games out and that are relatively easy to acquire. I'd personally like to play through Zero 3 or 4 again, and I'm planning on picking up ZX:Advent tomorrow.

cortbassist89
11-22-2007, 04:13 PM
I second Disgaea. I love this game. I haven't even started on chapter 2 and I've put 9 hours into this game, leveling up all my characters.

It was Disgaea that revealed the truth: I am a stat whore.

Octopus Prime
11-22-2007, 04:55 PM
What about Mass Effect?

It's pretty damn rockin'.

Ben1842
11-22-2007, 04:58 PM
I second Disgaea. I love this game. I haven't even started on chapter 2 and I've put 9 hours into this game, leveling up all my characters.

It was Disgaea that revealed the truth: I am a stat whore.

I beat it on Ps2, I'm playing it on PSP again right now. Well not right now because I'm typing, but you know what I mean.

cortbassist89
11-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Hell to the yes.

Also: leveling up items? Best. Idea. Ever.

Well, probably not ever, but its still really cool.

reibeatall
11-24-2007, 09:58 PM
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions.

Just because I need reason to play this again.

Sprite
11-24-2007, 10:23 PM
I won't be playing Disgaea as I'm currently mired in Persona AND I have yet to finish Disgaea 2, which is better, but... I have beaten the PS2 version, and don't really care about bonus content spoilers, so I'll be more than happy to participate vicariously (with prudence to people's current position in the game, of course).

Eirikr
11-27-2007, 11:44 AM
Sheeen Meggamee Tenseeehhhh!!!!!

kommander
11-27-2007, 09:25 PM
Now I'm playing 2D action-Mega Man (the original, X, Zero, and ZX) because of the 20th Anniversary!

The 20th Anniversary event have held in Tokyo a few days ago, it is said over 7,000 people came to that event!

Eirikr
11-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Now I'm playing 2D action-Mega Man (the original, X, Zero, and ZX) because of the 20th Anniversary!

The 20th Anniversary event have held in Tokyo a few days ago, it is said over 7,000 people came to that event!

Some Mega Man as a Fun Club Alternate would be a great follow up to our Contra discussion. The problem is, which one? I say we should do an entire series, such as the entire original series, X series, etc.

I am still pining for some Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne action, however.

reibeatall
11-27-2007, 10:06 PM
Unlimited Saga.

shivam
11-28-2007, 12:58 AM
megaman powered up, maybe? or the megaman ps collection?

alexb
11-28-2007, 02:04 AM
Unlimited Saga.

You sick bastard.

I'm on board with this.

ArugulaZ
11-29-2007, 12:08 PM
I wanna see Fire Pro Wrestling Returns as the next Fun Club alternative!

Parish
11-29-2007, 12:21 PM
Oh, we'll be doing some SaGa games, alright. I'm taking you people down with me.

I'm holding off on Mega Man until it comes to VC. It's been available for freaking ever in Australia, so it's gotta come eventually.

Ben1842
11-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh, we'll be doing some SaGa games, alright. I'm taking you people down with me.

I'm holding off on Mega Man until it comes to VC. It's been available for freaking ever in Australia, so it's gotta come eventually.

Please at least consider doing the Gameboy SaGa games. That way I can play them for the fun club and the show. lol

reibeatall
11-29-2007, 12:25 PM

Thank you Parish. I bought a copy of Unlimited SaGa so I could cut myself with the rest of you.

djSyndrome
11-29-2007, 12:30 PM

Nevermind that you can buy the entire original series (http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=938827) for less than three titles on VC.

Ben1842
11-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Thank you Parish. I bought a copy of Unlimited SaGa so I could cut myself with the rest of you.

I hated Unlimited Saga.

I wont be joining you on this one.

I thought this was supposed to be fun club. lol

ArugulaZ
11-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Tell me about it. I think I aged five years after playing Saga Frontier (which coincidentally is how long it takes to beat it).

Ben1842
11-29-2007, 12:48 PM
Tell me about it. I think I aged five years after playing Saga Frontier (which coincidentally is how long it takes to beat it).

I want to love the SaGa games, but I can't.

I own Saga Frontier 1+2 and Romancing Saga (PS2)

I've played every game in the series, but I can't get into any of them.
I have no idea why I keep trying them. I think it might be stockholm syndrome or something. I know that's why I keep playing the Mana games.

It's that hope that "This time they're gonna get it right". but they never do. :(

Sprite
11-29-2007, 01:10 PM
I'd totally be on board for Unlimited Saga, I mean, a $3 game is still fun to talk about, even if it sucks. And if it sucks SO SO hard, well then, I can always stop. HERE'S TO MISERY.

...Wait a while, though. I gots finals comin' up.