PDA

View Full Version : Square breaks the silence: No Final Fantasy on 360. Period.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Oh man, I'm just going to jump off the intertubes right now before this gets ugly. (http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/794/794164p1.html)

alexb
06-05-2007, 01:54 PM
This is news?

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 01:56 PM
This is news?

Yes it is. There have been rumors about Final Fantasy XIII getting ported to the 360. Square finally decided to say something about it.

Personally, I was kind of enjoying the fanboy nonsense going back-and-forth on digg and other sites, but I guess it's run the course by now.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Well nobody has bought the thing (xbox360) in japan so I don't blame them. I don't expect them to port the main games over to the Wii unless it REALLY dominates for a couple of years so this makes sense.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Well nobody has bought the thing (xbox360) in japan so I don't blame them. I don't expect them to port the main games over to the Wii unless it REALLY dominates for a couple of years so this makes sense.

But nobody is buying the PS3 in Japan either. It's outselling the 360 by a decent margin, but the Wii is burying them both.

TheSL
06-05-2007, 02:00 PM
Not that I'm at all hoping for a 360 FF game(there's enough of the damn things coming out already), he just said it was currently a blank page, not that there's 100% no chance.

alexb
06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
The White Engine they've been custom developing for FFXIII is heavily based around the PS3's hardware. It never seemed feasible to me. Same reason MGS4 seems an unlikely port. PS3 and XBox360 are even more dissimilar than PS2 and XBox.

Excitemike
06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
I was secretly hoping XII might show up, but I had no hopes of XIII coming over. But I'm not that interested in XIII anyway. I can't think of any SE next-gen game that I'm anticipating.

Vahn16
06-05-2007, 02:04 PM
I do think Square is testing the waters with Last Remnant. If it does well on the 360, we could eventually see some kind of FF game on it. After all, Squeenix liscensed the Unreal engine for more than just one game.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
But nobody is buying the PS3 in Japan either. It's outselling the 360 by a decent margin, but the Wii is burying them both.
Yeah, but PS3 has at least doubled xbox 360's numbers in Japan in less than half the time, so they basically have to choose between Wii and PS3 for their flagship franchise. And I don't think they are sold on the Wii being the appropriate console for that franchise, at least not yet. Then if you are going to think about the cost effectiveness of porting to another system, xbox360 and its less than 500,000 units in Japan isn't going to cut it.

As it is, I am really looking forward to Blue Dragon for 360 and FFCC for Wii right now.

sraymonds
06-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm sure one day one of the million spin-offs of FFXIII will show up on Xbox 360.

tungwene
06-05-2007, 03:52 PM
I wonder how much Sony paid SE to make that decision.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 03:57 PM
I wonder how much Sony paid SE to make that decision.

Probably a lot more than Microsoft paid MistWalker for Blue Dragon.

ArugulaZ
06-05-2007, 03:59 PM
This announcement really pisses me off, because I fear that Sony will be allowed to coast on the fumes of TWO GAMES just like they did with the Playstation 2. It's even the same two games, Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid! The PS3 should have to fight hard to compete against the other two consoles, not just have victory handed to it on a silver platter because the Japanese have an unhealthy obsession with all things Square.

Come on, gamers. Don't give the Playstation 3 a free ride because it's got two stinkin' games. You deserve better than that. The INDUSTRY deserves better than that.

JR

Dhroo
06-05-2007, 04:04 PM
I don't think it's really fair to say the PS2 coasted on just FFX and MGS2, regardless of what point in its lifespan you're talking about. It had a fairly extensive library before and after those games.

It's probably pretty accurate to say that about the PS3 though, going by what has been seen so far, at least.

Calorie Mate
06-05-2007, 04:09 PM
I don't think it's really fair to say the PS2 coasted on just FFX and MGS2, regardless of what point in its lifespan you're talking about. It had a fairly extensive library before and after those games.

It's probably pretty accurate to say that about the PS3 though, going by what has been seen so far, at least.

Let's see here, before FFX and MGS2, there was...ummmmm.....uh....ZOE, which lasted approx. 3 hours? I'm drawing a blank for anything before that.

ArugulaZ
06-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Yeah, same here. All of the system's launch titles- and indeed, practically every PS2 game before the release of Metal Gear Solid 2- was dull, dark, bland, and generic. Eternal Ring. Street Fighter EX 3. Kessen. Orphen. Eve of Extinction. Might and Magic: The Quest For The Dragonbone Staff. The list goes on and on. How anyone could prefer these games to the excellent software that was available for the Dreamcast is one of life's great (and extremely depressing) mysteries.

JR

Dhroo
06-05-2007, 04:20 PM
Well, okay, so maybe my memory's a little fuzzy about when exactly those games came out. But still, there were quite a few really great games early on that went relatively unnoticed. Onimusha, Ring of Red...and, uh, lots of others I can't think of.

Wil Defoe
06-05-2007, 04:25 PM
But isn't that oversimplifying things a little. Around the same time in 2001, Gran Turismo 3 came out (I bought mine with the pack in). That fall came the rush of exclusive (well at the time for some) games: Ico, Silent Hill 2, MGS2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X, and SSX Tricky. Add to that the all important Madden factor and the PS2 shot right in there. Sure MGS2 was the one to watch for the enthusiast crowd but a lot of games fleshed out the PS2 user base. Especially since all you had on the Gamecube was Smash Brothers and Pikmin & the Xbox had Halo.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm sure one day one of the million spin-offs of FFXIII will show up on Xbox 361.

Fixed

Calorie Mate
06-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Well, okay, so maybe my memory's a little fuzzy about when exactly those games came out. But still, there were quite a few really great games early on that went relatively unnoticed. Onimusha, Ring of Red...and, uh, lots of others I can't think of.

Ok, I think Onimusha came out a month or two before MGS2. Point taken.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, same here. All of the system's launch titles- and indeed, practically every PS2 game before the release of Metal Gear Solid 2- was dull, dark, bland, and generic. Eternal Ring. Street Fighter EX 3. Kessen. Orphen. Eve of Extinction. Might and Magic: The Quest For The Dragonbone Staff. The list goes on and on. How anyone could prefer these games to the excellent software that was available for the Dreamcast is one of life's great (and extremely depressing) mysteries.

JR
Don't forget "The Bouncer", which also lasted 3 hours.

Actually I'd add that one to the list of satisfying but short games, it was for me at least.

Kolbe
06-05-2007, 05:21 PM
How anyone could prefer these games to the excellent software that was available for the Dreamcast is one of life's great (and extremely depressing) mysteries.

Not real mystery there. People are morons.

About FFXIII, I don't care if is released in 360, PS3, Jaguar, Neo Geo CD or whatever. I won't be buying any FFs until I see one that's made entirely with heart instead of an easy way to get money.

Okay, that's impossible, but I'd take 30% money, 70% heart. Heck, I'd even take a 50-50 deal.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 05:23 PM
Not that I'm at all hoping for a 360 FF game(there's enough of the damn things coming out already), he just said it was currently a blank page, not that there's 100% no chance.

I completely agree.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 05:26 PM

JR

O man, Kessen was horrible. Sitting there waiting for them to kill each other for hours made me want to go jump out the window. Street Fighter EX 3 was not that horrible. I mean 2 player mode at least, was bearable.

I totally agree with you about the Dreamcast. People neglected that good system.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
But isn't that oversimplifying things a little. Around the same time in 2001, Gran Turismo 3 came out (I bought mine with the pack in). That fall came the rush of exclusive (well at the time for some) games: Ico, Silent Hill 2, MGS2, Grand Theft Auto 3, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X, and SSX Tricky. Add to that the all important Madden factor and the PS2 shot right in there. Sure MGS2 was the one to watch for the enthusiast crowd but a lot of games fleshed out the PS2 user base. Especially since all you had on the Gamecube was Smash Brothers and Pikmin & the Xbox had Halo.

Gamecube and Xbox were surely limited in selections. That was a great season, playing all those hits for the PS2. Ico was a great game. Sadly ignroed. Anyway, good point.

doc_marten_abortion
06-05-2007, 05:29 PM
Useless poll pages are breathing a sigh of relief as the internet fan-boy community settles back and enjoys its victory cheetos.

alexb
06-05-2007, 05:45 PM

JR

Hey, you forgot Fantavision and Evergrace!

Squall
06-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I don't know about you guys, but I spent my first year of PS2 playing Armored Core 2. Just like the previous 4 years playing Armored Core 1. It was a nice change of pace from 24/7 Super Metroid.

bobservo
06-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Right now I think the smartest move would be to put it on PS2.

Stephen
06-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Or the DS.

Kolbe
06-05-2007, 07:16 PM
Or both. They would do that.

Psyael
06-05-2007, 07:19 PM
The White Engine they've been custom developing for FFXIII is heavily based around the PS3's hardware.

No, everything I've heard has been to the opposite. In fact, this porting hulaballoo started when Sakaguchi said in an interview to GameSpot(?? I think) that the White Engine was so designed for cross-platforming that it would only take a few hours to port it.

This announcement really pisses me off, because I fear that Sony will be allowed to coast on the fumes of TWO GAMES just like they did with the Playstation 2.
Hey, I'm no fan of Sony's first party, but Ratchet & Clank and God of War and whatever the Ico/Colossus team come up with next means Sony ought to get credit, too.

Torgo
06-05-2007, 07:42 PM
Don't forget "The Bouncer", which also lasted 3 hours.

Actually I'd add that one to the list of satisfying but short games, it was for me at least.
Finally, someone else who agrees. If we're talking gameplay, The Bouncer is just fine. Pretty darn good even. It's problem is that single player just doesn't last. The replay value rests in repeated playthroughs to beef up characters for the 4 player vs. mode.

And for the record, that four-player brawling is a heck of a lot of fun. Ymmv though I guess.

Mightyblue
06-05-2007, 07:55 PM
I personally liked the Bouncer a lot, and I appreciated the further character unlocks you could get too. Still a short, repetitive and yet, fun game though.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
You nitwits are all forgetting about Gradius III and IV. Easily the best reason to own a PS2 at launch.

alexb
06-05-2007, 10:45 PM
That's right. Two ancient arcade games definitely justified owning a PS2.

djSyndrome
06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
That's right. Two ancient arcade games definitely justified owning a PS2.

The point was that the PS2's lineup sucked so badly that Gradius was the best launch title.

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 06:17 AM
The point was that the PS2's lineup sucked so badly that Gradius was the best launch title.

The single best launch game for PS2 was the first SSX. I still play it. It showed the potential of the system, and was a fun, fairly deep game.

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 06:36 AM
Why can't you guys admit that you love Fantavision?

Torgo
06-06-2007, 06:45 AM
He's right.

(I mean, it was the main reason I wanted a PS2 at launch.)

Mightyblue
06-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Y'know, I'm actually trying to remember what I wanted my PS2 for. I'm thinking it was either FFX or BoF:DQ. That may just be my ego saying that I was just a stupid high schooler who wanted the coolest thing ever at that point without actually worrying about something like catalog quantity and quality though.

I think I've already mentioned I was a dumb, dumb lad in high school. :P

Kirin
06-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Yeah, I had a PS2 at launch for really no good reason. I mean, Bouncer was pretty fun for a tech demo, but yeah. In retrospect I was fortunate that the PS2 did end up stomping all over its generation, and hence *eventually* gained a huge library of awesome games for me to play.

This gen, I am waiting. A lot.

djSyndrome
06-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Don't feel bad. I bought a Japanese PS2 to play Ridge Racer V and the aforementioned Gradius long before the US release, just as I bought a Japanese PS1 to play Ridge Racer and Parodius five years prior.

Or, put another way, I spent the exact same amount of money on all three PlayStation consoles: $600.

Coinspinner
06-06-2007, 11:28 AM
http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2007/060107c.html
RPGamer: I know you can't tell us when Final Fantasy XIII is coming or whether it's going to go multiplatform, but maybe we can ask something you can answer. Are there any plans for more Xbox 360 support other than what has been announced?

Charlie Sinhaseni, Square Enix PR Assistant Manager: Well, we have already stated that the next Final Fantasy MMO will be for the 360 and Vista. That, along with continued support for Final Fantasy XI such as Wings of the Goddess, show that we will be working with the 360 quite a bit. Don't forget Project Silpheed and Last Remnant.

lol wut?

thomp538
06-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I got my PS2 for free, just for getting a job with the company I work for :D

Sami
06-06-2007, 01:40 PM
"There are no plans for a DS redesign." - the next day, DS lite is announced. Really, these negative announcements amount to nothing. Remember Assassin's Creed? For all we know, Square Enix could announce an Xbox Final Fantasy tomorrow, and this statement would be dubbed a mistake, a communication breakdown, or simply a change of plans that they drafted just now.

It will be a very interesting situation however, if Square Enix sticks to the PS3, and FFXIII isn't enough to lift it up, with the next major Final Fantasy ending up a sales flop thanks to the PS3. It's a hard buy that Square Enix would be able to disregard the Xbox's 10-million lead worldwide, unless Sony really has wisened up to the situation and paid very generously for the exclusivity.

blitzchamp
06-06-2007, 02:19 PM
"There are no plans for a DS redesign." - the next day, DS lite is announced. Really, these negative announcements amount to nothing. Remember Assassin's Creed? For all we know, Square Enix could announce an Xbox Final Fantasy tomorrow, and this statement would be dubbed a mistake, a communication breakdown, or simply a change of plans that they drafted just now.

It will be a very interesting situation however, if Square Enix sticks to the PS3, and FFXIII isn't enough to lift it up, with the next major Final Fantasy ending up a sales flop thanks to the PS3. It's a hard buy that Square Enix would be able to disregard the Xbox's 10-million lead worldwide, unless Sony really has wisened up to the situation and paid very generously for the exclusivity.

I doubt that. All those hardcore Final Fantasy fans will get their hands of FFXIII no matter what.

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Except for two things:

1. Square and Sony are still quite chummy with each other.

2. Square doesn't give two shits about the rest of the world. Look how much of their output had no or poor localisation, and how they never release the International or Final Mix versions outside the Japanese market.

There could be 75 trillion 360s outside Japan, and Square won't produce original content for them. The only reason FF XI is on 360 is because MS made it very simple to port from Windows to 360.

Sami
06-06-2007, 02:40 PM
How many of those "hardcore" Final Fantasy fans are there, really? 10 % of all the FF players, maybe? That would spell the previous million seller lower sales figures in the hundreds of thousands. If Square Enix sells 400,000 Final Fantasy XIII's worldwide compared to a potential of 4,000,000, do you think they will be happy? Sony's cash would help of course, say some $40 million compensation for all the lost sales. Not the best possible compensation of course, but at least something.

2. Square doesn't give two shits about the rest of the world. Look how much of their output had no or poor localisation, and how they never release the International or Final Mix versions outside the Japanese market.

Those "International" versions have to come from somewhere, you know, like the extras that were originally added to the "international" versions in the first place. Extra Weapons in FFVII, english voice track, the Dark Aeons and free Sphere Grid of PAL FFX. Sure, Japan got some extra bonuses, but would you really like to pay another $50 for a new Sephiroth fight? Square localisations have also been of a high quality for long time, just witness the difference between the Sony-published English translation of Final Fantasy Tactics and Square's own Vagrant Story. So, you were trying to argue that Square Enix will keep with the PS3 because they mistreat the international market...

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 02:45 PM
So, you were trying to argue that Square Enix will keep with the PS3 because they mistreat the international market...

Way to miss the point, there. The point was, with all the extras they have on hand that go into the Internationals, around the same time the Internationals get released, they put out bare-bones re-issues for the rest of the world. Japan is priority #1, it's where they make the most money. Everything else is an afterthought.

You actually contribute to my point in a way. All those assets are created for the Internationals and Final Mixes, and the english localisations are included in them, yet they STILL don't release them outside Japan. Doing so would essentially be increasing the return on their investment in those materials by putting the enhanced versions out worldwide, so why don't they?

Squall
06-06-2007, 02:54 PM
Oh god, why would anyone buy the 'international' versions? I figured they don't bring them out because Square US is actually somewhat intelligent and realize no one would buy them.
Sure they could put it on a 'greatest hits' compilation, but seriously, why spend all that time and money re-verifying and translating bits of the game just so a couple of players can enjoy a 2nd costume for Goofy on a game that most people already bought.

thomp538
06-06-2007, 03:02 PM
The only things that interest me about remakes are portability, improved graphics, improved gameplay and added features. I would only buy a remake based on more than one and hopefully all 4 of these criteria. I'm not the kind of person who buys a game just to buy it, there has to be some appealing reason for me to want to get into a game that I have played through many times before.

djSyndrome
06-06-2007, 03:21 PM
Oh god, why would anyone buy the 'international' versions? I figured they don't bring them out because Square US is actually somewhat intelligent and realize no one would buy them.
Sure they could put it on a 'greatest hits' compilation, but seriously, why spend all that time and money re-verifying and translating bits of the game just so a couple of players can enjoy a 2nd costume for Goofy on a game that most people already bought.

I guess the level of interest depends on the extra content. For KHII - Final Mix, there's not an awful lot of new stuff in there, the port of CoM notwithstanding.

FFXII-International, on the other hand, is truly a loss.

Excitemike
06-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Unless the rumors that the menus are in English are true. Then it is on like lip balm.

Deadguy2322
06-07-2007, 05:51 AM
I guess the level of interest depends on the extra content. For KHII - Final Mix, there's not an awful lot of new stuff in there, the port of CoM notwithstanding.

Well, considering it explains a LOT of WTF plot stuff, the CoM remake is a pretty big thing, and one I'd love to have. I mean, I could borrow my daughter's DS and play the GBA version, but I'd rather play on my big system, you know?

Kolbe
06-07-2007, 08:37 AM
Well, considering it explains a LOT of WTF plot stuff, the CoM remake is a pretty big thing, and one I'd love to have.

It's a Nomura game. There will always be a LOT of WTF plot stuff. It's healthier to just ignore it, as he himself does.

Deadguy2322
06-08-2007, 06:31 AM
It's a Nomura game. There will always be a LOT of WTF plot stuff. It's healthier to just ignore it, as he himself does.

As easy as it would be to write it off that way, I have played a little of CoM, and I am nearly finished KHII, and there are a lot of gaps that I am fairly certain were covered in CoM.

Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy the first few hours of KHII, with the whole question of whether or not what was happening was real. Games don;t usually go for that kind of mindfuck.

dwolfe
07-15-2008, 08:08 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA /necro

Alastor
07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Holy shit. I clicked on this thinking it was a new topic and just going "LOL WHAT?"

pence
07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
The topic is more than a bit misleading, because the linked article claims that development on the 360 is currently a 'blank page'. And now it's not.

Which is not what the thread topic claims. Oh ho!

Issun
07-15-2008, 10:04 PM
Everyone posting in this thread sucks ass.

...woops, shit.

SamuelMarston
07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
Holy shit. I clicked on this thinking it was a new topic and just going "LOL WHAT?"

Torgo
07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
I remember this topic, but I don't remember it being over a year old already. I mean, crap, Deadguy was still posting.

spineshark
07-15-2008, 10:59 PM
Deadguy was still posting.
It's funny, because seeing this thread again today, he was a lot weirder than I remembered.

Mazian
07-15-2008, 11:17 PM
It's funny, because seeing this thread again today, he was a lot weirder than I remembered.
Whereas I discovered that I still have one, and only one, name on my ignore list. A precaution that pays off once again!

teekun
07-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Square breaks the silence: No Final Fantasy on 360. Comma,

djSyndrome
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Oh fucking christ give it a rest already.

I'm happy it's coming to the 360. Why? Because MORE PEOPLE WILL GET TO PLAY IT.

dwolfe
07-16-2008, 08:09 AM

sorry dj, someone linked to this in the real thread and...y'know? IT WAS FUNNY.

Calorie Mate
07-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Not me. I'd rather more people play Persona 4.

djSyndrome
07-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Not me. I'd rather more people play Persona 4.

That would make more sense if P4 and FFXIII were releasing in the same decade.

Sven
07-16-2008, 08:44 AM

Indeed. People are probably still going to have to buy an entirely new system of FFXIII... because it'll be on the XBox Universal or whatever the follow-up system is.

Calorie Mate
07-16-2008, 09:01 AM

All I meant was, my love belongs to that series, and I wish Final Fantasy wasn't as big of a deal as it is, because, like me, I'm sure there are people out there that just don't know what else RPGs can offer them.

thomp538
07-16-2008, 01:50 PM

Yeah, like me.

Wolfgang
07-16-2008, 04:05 PM
Whereas I discovered that I still have one, and only one, name on my ignore list. A precaution that pays off once again!

There's Ignore lists? I was wondering why it seemed like nobody read my posts.

Octopus Prime
07-16-2008, 05:46 PM
It kind of seems pointless to have brought back this thread, since the existing one was doing a good enough job of pointing out that it is no longer historically accurate.

If anything, this is more confusing.

Thanks a LOT Dwolfe, you've confused me!
Jerk.

dwolfe
07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
more[/I] confusing.

Thanks a LOT Dwolfe, you've confused me!
Jerk.

ouch, -3 to feelings :-P

PS: if no one replied this thread would die

Ample Vigour
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
There's Ignore lists? I was wondering why it seemed like nobody read my posts.

I read your posts. :(
I'm only lying to you so you will sleep with me.

Wolfgang
07-16-2008, 10:06 PM
I read your posts. :(
I'm only lying to you so you will sleep with me.

I know you do, we're each other's fans.

Go, Team Shawmple! Vigor.

You heard me.

Ample Vigour
07-16-2008, 10:14 PM
You heard me.

I think if we give one another respect knuckles we may unlock super powers.

ON TOPIC: Heh, I guess a Square shouldn't try to be a crystal ball!
I should write a webcomic!

dwolfe
07-16-2008, 10:27 PM
I think if we give one another respect knuckles we may unlock super powers.

ON TOPIC: Heh, I guess a Square shouldn't try to be a crystal ball!
I should write a webcomic!

Which one is Gurren and which one is Laggan?*

* originally was going to make a Captain Planet crack but....you're three short still