PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy II: Anniversary

doc_marten_abortion
06-05-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm still trying to figure out who celebrates the anniversary of their second trip to the bowl. Well, besides my friend Jake: he keeps a scrap book of all his little funky treasures.

Having played through most of FF2 on the gba, I can say that I'm not seeing a huge difference, or any improvements -- aside from the cosmetic. Both Shane and Jeremy (Bettenhausen and Parish, respectively) have said surprisingly nice things about the game, while still giving us absolutely no clue as to what they could be talking about. I'm not under embargo, and I can tell you that it's the same game that you all remember. It's still FF2; just as FF1: Anniversary was the same FF1.

Parish
06-05-2007, 03:31 PM
I should have a preview up later this week, once the import hits. It's not substantially different... but the tweaks help a lot.

doc_marten_abortion
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
I'll stick with XII: I still haven't completed that fantasy, yet.

Excitemike
06-05-2007, 03:43 PM
I should have a preview up later this week, once the import hits. It's not substantially different... but the tweaks help a lot.

They made you play both? That just seems cruel.

Torgo
06-05-2007, 03:46 PM
I don't see anything necessarily wrong with playing FF1 again. It's not like the game is broken or anything, just extraordinarily outdated.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 04:38 PM
I'll stick with XII: I still haven't completed that fantasy, yet.
Dude, I haven't finished Tactics, the first one, yet.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 05:20 PM
They made you play both? That just seems cruel.

Think about how many times they have played FF1 and FF2 by now. It was released on Wonderswan, PS1, GBA, cell phones, now PSP. Square-Enix will just keep re-releasing it out every 2 years probably for the rest of eternity for an easy profit. I think they should release some other hits instead, like maybe Chrono Trigger.

blitzchamp
06-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Dude, I haven't finished Tactics, the first one, yet.

Me either, I don't think I ever will...

harlock
06-05-2007, 07:21 PM
I'll pass on this version. It's bad enough SE gets me to buy a game twice, I don't need them getting me to buy a game three times. (Although, to be fair, I didn't technically -buy- it the first time)

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 06:21 AM
I'll just stick to my converted copy of Origins on my PSP.

BEAT
06-06-2007, 06:26 AM
I'm still shocked that they didn't just pack both games onto one UMD.

blitzchamp
06-06-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm still shocked that they didn't just pack both games onto one UMD.

Me too. I really don't think they should be worth full price seperately after they have already bundled them together in the past.

Jakanden
06-06-2007, 07:21 AM
Me either, I don't think I ever will...

I will probably never complete the original PS1 Tactics, but I hope to complete the PSP remake.

As far as FFI and FFII, I just recently replayed them on the GBA and still maintain my hatred of FFII. Whatever graphical enhancements or changes they make, the underlying mechanics are too flawed for me to care enough to pick it up.

thomp538
06-06-2007, 10:41 AM
I will probably never complete the original PS1 Tactics, but I hope to complete the PSP remake.
That might make it worth owning a PSP right there. The portability aspect means I could play it anywhere at pretty much anytime.

Squall
06-06-2007, 10:45 AM
Remember, when speaking of the PSP, you have to put 'portability' in single quotes.
I suppose it's not Virtual Boy, though.

thomp538
06-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Remember, when speaking of the PSP, you have to put 'portability' in single quotes.
What? You don't carry around a converted car battery with a hamster alternator with you at all times?

EDIT: If I can play it on the sofa while my wife watches TLC then I'm good ;)

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 01:42 PM
Me too. I really don't think they should be worth full price seperately after they have already bundled them together in the past.

Remember, in Japan, the PS1 remakes of I and II were seperate, and only at SCEA's insistence did FF Origins come out as a two-fer.

If Square could conceivably sell it in Japan as a 7-part set of platinum-plated discs, FFI would suddenly be a 7-chapter serial game.

Can't really blame them for milking their home market, but we don't have to play along, do we?

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 01:44 PM

This is one of the most idiotic FUD cliches that has somehow survived.

I have had my PSP for almost a year and a half, and the battery life has never really been an issue. I play on my commute to and from work, which used to be over an hour, I used to play on my lunch hour and never had the machine die before I was home again that night. Who really needs more battery life than what it takes to get through a day?

thomp538
06-06-2007, 01:47 PM
This is one of the most idiotic FUD cliches that has somehow survived.

I have had my PSP for almost a year and a half, and the battery life has never really been an issue. I play on my commute to and from work, which used to be over an hour, I used to play on my lunch hour and never had the machine die before I was home again that night. Who really needs more battery life than what it takes to get through a day?
I guess when you are only playing an hour or two between charges its ok

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 01:56 PM
I guess when you are only playing an hour or two between charges its ok

Try 4-6 hours total, with the battery not dead yet. Of course some things hit harder, like some PS1 games will only give around 3 hours, and some emulators will clock the cpu up to 333MHz just for the hell of it, which kills you in about 2 hours, but normal use of UMD games that don't have abnormal amounts of loading will play for 4 hours in most cases.

Using it only for music, I have gotten 14 hours between charges, which is better than my iPod Nano.

thomp538
06-06-2007, 01:59 PM
Try 4-6 hours total, with the battery not dead yet. Of course some things hit harder, like some PS1 games will only give around 3 hours, and some emulators will clock the cpu up to 333MHz just for the hell of it, which kills you in about 2 hours, but normal use of UMD games that don't have abnormal amounts of loading will play for 4 hours in most cases.

Using it only for music, I have gotten 14 hours between charges, which is better than my iPod Nano.
Well like I mentioned earlier, playing it around the house near an AC adapter should be fine. I'd hate to take one on a flight to Europe or Japan or something though.

Squall
06-06-2007, 02:11 PM
I never mentioned the battery life, I just thought the thing is too big for a pocket, with the odds of it being damaged in said pocket much higher.
If anything, the PSP should be commended for its great battery life.

blitzchamp
Remember, in Japan, the PS1 remakes of I and II were seperate, and only at SCEA's insistence did FF Origins come out as a two-fer.

If Square could conceivably sell it in Japan as a 7-part set of platinum-plated discs, FFI would suddenly be a 7-chapter serial game.

Can't really blame them for milking their home market, but we don't have to play along, do we?

Really? I wasn't aware of that. Man that sucks bad. =(

djSyndrome
Here's a crazy tip - unlike an iPod or the DS, you can change the PSP's battery yourself! Without tools!

Also, there is a first-party higher-capacity (2200 mAh) battery readily available.

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 02:14 PM
I never mentioned the battery life, I just thought the thing is too big for a pocket, with the odds of it being damaged in said pocket much higher.
If anything, the PSP should be commended for its great battery life.

I apologize for my assumption. As far as portability, if you get a halfway-decent case, I have found mine goes well in an outer pocket of a backpack or messenger bag. In winter, it can reside snugly in the inner pocket of a ski jacket very nicely.

Kishi
06-06-2007, 02:16 PM

In Japan, they were released separately, then again in one package. The same deal applied to the PS ports of FFIV-VI.

Deadguy2322
Well like I mentioned earlier, playing it around the house near an AC adapter should be fine. I'd hate to take one on a flight to Europe or Japan or something though.

In Japan, there is actually an airline power adapter available, and those of us with no access to import accessories can always get a car adaptor and an auto-airline socket convertor.

Jakanden
I could rip my PS1 Tactics and play it but I would rather wait for the remake.

As far as battery life, I am glad to see I am not the only that notices the PS1 emulator killing the battery faster. I am thinking about picking up one of these (http://reviews.cnet.com/power-devices-batteries/blue-raven-psp-15/4505-3509_7-32462739.html). The biggest complaints seems to be the fact that it adds bulk and blocks the UMD drive, neither of which bother me.

Deadguy2322
06-06-2007, 02:19 PM
In Japan, they were released separately, then again in one package. The same deal applied to the PS ports of FFIV-VI.

The combined re-releases being put out after the U.S. set was released, with a few bonuses the U.S. didn't see, like all the FF Internationals and the Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes.

Why does Square shaft us on those? Japan gets International/Final Mix on everything, for a reduced price, we get bare-bones Greatest Hits, if we're lucky.

djSyndrome
06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
The combined re-releases being put out after the U.S. set was released, with a few bonuses the U.S. didn't see, like all the FF Internationals and the Kingdom Hearts Final Mixes.

Why does Square shaft us on those? Japan gets International/Final Mix on everything, for a reduced price, we get bare-bones Greatest Hits, if we're lucky.

Because Americans bitch about having to buy the same thing twice.

Kishi
06-06-2007, 02:27 PM

Because Americans bitch about having to buy the same thing twice.

Yeah, but they'll still do it.

doc_marten_abortion
06-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Yeah, but they'll still do it.
Sure, but the message boards explode with self-loathing.

thomp538
06-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Sure, but the message boards explode with self-loathing.
What else are message boards for?

Jakanden
06-06-2007, 05:16 PM
What else are message boards for?

- YTMND
- l33t sp3@k
- Flame Wars
- You Tube
- <insert more here>

BEAT
06-06-2007, 05:25 PM
You forgot creative misspelling of the F-word.

doc_marten_abortion
06-06-2007, 05:55 PM
like fornicate?