PDA

View Full Version : He took HOW many cakes? That's terrible. Let's Play City of Villains!

Powerleveler
03-05-2009, 06:42 PM
Honestly what else was I gonna call it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/covtitlepage.jpg
Welcome to the City of Villains let's play!

City of Villains is one half of the City of- universe, an MMO set in a comic-book superhero world. City of Heroes (aka blueside) came out first, back in April 2004. City of Villains (aka redside) was release on Halloween (GEDDIT!?) 2005. Last January they even got around to releasing a Mac client. The world is a pretty standard "anything goes" comic book world. There's evil corporations, alien invasions, psychic clowns, zombie hordes, and of course, Nazis. Last year the two games were finally just merged, so even if you only ever had one of the two games, your $15/month now allows you to play both.

In City of Villains, you play an up-and-coming star in the Arachnos Organization living out life in the Rogue Isles.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/Map_RogueIsles.jpg

The Leader of Arachnos is this fine fellow, Lord Recluse.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/Lord_Recluse.jpg

Recluse and his heroic counterpart Statesman were best of buds back in the '30s, before gaining their superpowers and simultaneously unleashing superpowers on the entire world. Now they're having a giant hissy.

The "story" behind CoV involves Lord Recluse seeking out the Destined One, a villain who is the key to his plan for beating Statesman and his Freedom Phalanx and then achieving world domination. He's staged a breakout at the Zig, a maximum security prison in the heart of Paragon City (seriously) where all the superpowered evil doers get sent, since his magic 8 psychic told him the destined one is in genpop. He plans to find out exactly which is his destined one by letting them all run loose in the Rogue Isles and waiting for one of them to survive. It's like Battle Royale but with giant robots and fireballs. The "story" is really very little of what you do in the game, however. Mostly it's robbing banks and kidnapping alien diplomats and such.

The game differs from most other MMOs in that you don't often get a team together and then work on killing one big monster. You kill a LOT of smaller monsters all at once.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/somany.jpg
A whole lot.

I'm Let's Playing City of Villains because it's sometimes amazing what a difference 18 months of playtesting can make. Blueside has more to do, technically, but most of it desperately needs the edges sanded down, and the writing is...let's say "lackluster." There's a much harder grind, and some of the longer Task Forces are exercises in raw pain. Redside is far more polished, and the archetypes are roughly a thousand times more interesting, mostly because they don't follow the traditional "tank/mage/heal0r" setup. Speaking of which:

Archetypes
Each of the five basic archetypes gets to chose a primary powerset and a secondary powerset at creation. These can never be altered without re-rolling the character entirely, so choose wisely. Each archetype also has an inherent power that helps to define their roll in fights. Click the name of the AT to learn about their primary and secondary choices since this is getting long enough as is.

BRUTE (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Brute) A melee fighter who prefers fists, flaming fists, electrified fists, souls wrapped around fists, axes and gigantic war hammers. Their secondary is armor that, along with a pretty solid HP pool, allows them to stay alive long enough to hit things to death. Their inherent is fury. As they deliver and take damage, their fury bar rises. A higher fury bar means more damage, up to a 200% bonus.

DOMINATOR (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Dominator) The dominator specalizes in locking things down. Their primary gives them access to stuns, sleeps, immobilizes, holds and the like. This is good because they are delicate napkins, and their only real chance of not sucking pavement is to shut their opponents down before they can get off more than one or two shots. Their secondary is Assualt, a selection of melee and ranged attacks, so after they lock everything down, they can light it on fire, freeze it solid, or even scream horrible thoughts directly into their opponent's brain. Their inherent is domination. As they deal damage, they start to get their giggle on. Once the domination bar is over 90%, they can activate domination and receive an 80% damage boost and a boost to the magnitude and duration of all their mezzes for 90 seconds.

CORRUPTER (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Corruptor) The corrupter's primary is ranged damage. Fireballs, lightning bolts, even assualt rifles or laser eyes, they're hell from a distance. Their secondaries contain the bulk of the game's buff and debuffs. They can hand out radiation poisoning, wrap you up in ice so as to take less damage, and even use the healing power of fire as the combat medic from hell cauterizing your wounds on the go. This is after they have lit you on fire. Also to take less damage. Somehow. Their inherent is scourge which gives them an increasing chance for double damage as their target's life drops.

STALKER (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Stalker) The sneaky little bastard of the game. Like brutes, they have a melee primary and an armor secondary. Unlike brutes, they have a tiiiiiiiny little dollop of HP. They make up for this via their inherent, Assassination. When Hidden, they're invisible to the enemy, and any attack they make will automatically crit for double damage. Their Assassian Strike power will one-shot just about anything conning at your level, but of course punching someone in the face with the souls of the damned draws attention, breaking hide.

MASTERMIND (http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Mastermind) The mastermind's primary allows them to summon and control 6 pets, turning the game into an interesting pseudo-RTS. They can call up robots, zombies, thugs, ninjas, or mercs to do their horrible bidding. Their secondary, like the corrupter, revolves around buffs and debuffs, but the effectiveness of these powers is a bit lower than what corrupters get, mostly because the mastermind gets to dish them out while hiding behind a wall of henchmen (which they get to name). Their inherent is Supremacy which gives their pets a boost to accuracy and damage, so long as they stay near them.

Along with archetype, at creation you pick an origin, which is basically where your powers come from. There's technology, science, mutation, magic, and natural origins. What your origin is comes up maybe three times the entire game, none of which are important.

Now, the best part: God's Own Chargen. The "gear' in this game is compeletely separate from your appearance. So what you look like and what you do in this game are completely divorced concepts. So you can have two characters who are exactly the same in terms of hit points, build, powersets, power choices, etc and so on, but one is called Princess Twinklelove and one is called Butch the Jawripper. It's fantastic. There's a lot of people out there who use the game as nothing more than a place to show off their fancy costumes. There's hundreds, if not thousands of costume pieces at this point, and they keep giving out more. Robots, top hats, tuxedos, spandex, knight helmets, peg legs and pirate hooks, dog heads, ninjas, zombies, it's HUGE. The official site once mentioned that if you take "unique" to mean "more than three things different" then there's well over a million possible costumes out there, and you even unlock MORE as you progress through the game.

So! What do I need from you?* The following:
An Archetype
Primary Powerset
Secondary Powerset
Origin
And if you want, you can wing me a theme, or a character concept. I have a few ideas myself, we'll see what turns out. By the way, at this point the GMs are pretty good at catching onto Corporal America and his buddies Wonderful Woman and Wolferine. So let's not even bother, k.

For the first update, you get to choose my contact!
Kalinda, one of Arachnos' top psychics who will introduce me to the organization by having me run their errands, then will send me off to fight an ungodly amount of snakes,
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/Kalinda.jpg

or Burke who is a mercenary working outside Arachnos who will introduce me to the organization by having me raid it and then will send me off to fight an ungodly amount of snakes.
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/Matthew_Burke.jpg

*I've already got a few high level characters, so I may skew the votes a little to avoid doing something I've already done to 50.

Powerleveler
03-05-2009, 06:43 PM
Since this is an MMO, you can also play along! Here's how.
This link here (ftp://client.coh.com/US/CohUpdater.exe) gives you the whole client free from the official website, though it will take roughly 3 months to download it. (Mac users run the same client.) The game is kinda old, so it's really pretty easy to find it cheap. If you decide to play for the first time, there is a 10 day free-trial program available, and if you sign up for a month I get a month free, which is nice. If you already have an account that's been inactive for over 90 days, there is also a "please come back!" program, where I send you a re-up code, and we both get a free 15 days. If you want in PM me your email with either "free trial" or "reinvite" somewhere in the message so I can send you the right code.

I play on the Virtue Server, which is the unofficial RP server, which means we'll all get to laugh quite a bit.

This game was designed to be far more forgiving than say, Everquest or WoW. A team of 8 healers is totally viable, as is a team of 8 meatshields. So if you do sign up, just think up a concept and run with it. What archetype and powersets you choose aren't really that important. Looking damn good, however, is.

Starting out when I'm on update 20? Never fear, the game has a system called "lackeying" and "malefactoring". Lackeying works by letting high level characters take low level characters on as a lackey, allowing them to fight as if they were also high level! And malefactoring lets a high level character voluntary lower their level so they can team up with a bunch of lowbies. Last Issue (the game's name for major content updates) they released a system called "Level Pacts" that allow you to link your character with a buddy's so you are ALWAYS the same level.

Depending on how many people show up for this, I'll update this post with some more general playing tips and such. Depending on how offtopic it gets I may just throw a thread up in Hardcore Awesome Forever. We Shall See.

So Anyway Let's Play!

Rai
03-05-2009, 06:51 PM
This tempts me to pick up the City games again entirely too much. Especially at a time when I actually have the time to maybe get around to scratching the level cap.

I'm going to toss my vote in for a Corruptor though. Maybe with a sciency feel, so Assault Rifle for primary and Radiation Emission for secondary.

Brickroad
03-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Thread title wins. Mad thumbs up!

nunix
03-05-2009, 06:56 PM
Starting out when I'm on update 20? Never fear, the game has a system called "lackeying" and "malefactoring". Lackeying works by letting high level characters take low level characters on as a lackey, allowing them to fight as if they were also high level! And malefactoring lets a high level character voluntary lower their level so they can team up with a bunch of lowbies. Last Issue (the game's name for major content updates) they released a system called "Level Pacts" that allow you to link your character with a buddy's so you are ALWAYS the same level.

There are SOME exceptions to this, but you CAN always find level-appropriate things to do with your buddies.

Depending on how many people show up for this, I'll update this post with some more general playing tips and such. Depending on how offtopic it gets I may just throw a thread up in Hardcore Awesome Forever. We Shall See.

The only taker I had the last time I tried that (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=5582) was a spambot. =(

I'm ALMOST at 90 days (last active day was Dec 13 2008; this website (http://pages.prodigy.com/VDJW65A/timespan0.htm) sez its been 82 days as of today) so I'll get a reinvite code from you in a week or so. ;) All my characters were on Freedom and Victory, though, so I'll have to start fresh (I don't think there are any freebie character transfers).

I'm pretty happy to run a TT-derived character as well, so if there are lots of good ideas we don't have to toss 'em all out.

SpoonyBardOL
03-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Ahhh, I haven't been to the Cities in ages. Perhaps when Issue 14 lands I'll be tempted back by that delicious mission maker they're promising...

As for the character to create, come on. You know you want to go Mastermind. The Robotier the better. Though zombie/dark is a good combo too, and fairly potent once you learn all your various tricks. I got such a Mastermind up to Lv30 or so, I named all my minions after Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy characters. There's nothing quite like sending a Lich named Slartibartfast to go punch some mafia goons.

Sarcasmorator
03-05-2009, 07:03 PM
Oh, this is gonna be great. My suggestion for a villain:

Ninja Mastarrr
A piratical Mastermind who summons ninja slaves to do his bidding.
Primary: Ninjas
Secondary: Pain Domination

Jeanie
03-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Oh wow! You're playing this on Virtue? Dang, if you were on Justice, I could totally hook you up. Justice is my home server, that's why...

Hmmm... might have to roll a new character on Virtue...

Violentvixen
03-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Best thread title ever.

A Brute of Science with Dual Blades and Willpower.

Because willpower is a funny powerset to me.

nunix
03-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Because willpower is a funny powerset to me.

It's just a mashup of Regeneration and Invulnerability if I remember right.. it's pretty underwhelming. -.-

Dart Zaidyer
03-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Any idiot can come up with a character for this game, but a good character is named and dressed from top to bottom in a definite theme and style. And have a short, punchy bio that isn't much more than a paragraph long, because this is the Virtue server and overly long melodramatic essays are a plague that must be stopped here. (This far, and no further!)

Clearly the only choice you have for a villain here is Gary Snarkovich, aka Doctor Spite, a Mastermind who is himself a mindless drone guided by the shadowy influence of the Talking Tyrants Trust. He shall wear a bright and colorful outfit because every other player-controlled villain in the game is an unoriginal moron who always wears red or black. He shall also be not hesitant to make snarky comments about what's happening around him and the ludicrous foes he'll be pitted against, because the developers don't take the plot seriously and neither should you.

Indalecio
03-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Thread title wins. Mad thumbs up!

I agree completely. Thumbs up!

Also, lets do a Captain Ersatz (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CaptainErsatz) of Aku (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SamuraiJack) as a Mastermind and give him Robot Henchmen?

We can call him Umbral or Tyrant or something.

Archetype - Mastermind
Primary Powerset - Summon Robots
Secondary Powerset - Dark Miasma
Contact - Kalinda
Origin - Umbral is piece of Primal Evil who has slowly gained sentience. Its eventual goal is to enslave all reality.

Jeanie
03-05-2009, 07:42 PM
It's just a mashup of Regeneration and Invulnerability if I remember right.. it's pretty underwhelming. -.-

Yeah, no that's wrong. WP is actually a very good powerset, especially if you take the Fighting Power Pool's Tough and/or Weave. About the only real weakness to it is that there is no Self-Heal and honestly once you get into the twenties, level-wise, you don't need one unless you're soloing 8-man groups.

nunix
03-05-2009, 07:48 PM
Yeah, no that's wrong. WP is actually a very good powerset, especially if you take the Fighting Power Pool's Tough and/or Weave. About the only real weakness to it is that there is no Self-Heal and honestly once you get into the twenties, level-wise, you don't need one unless you're soloing 8-man groups.

Sorry, let me clarify: thematically underwhelming. The powers (http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Willpower) LOOK cribbed (mostly) from Regeneration and Invulnerability (the Regen powers even keep their names).

But! I haven't played it, so it might be fantastically overpowered.

Brickroad
03-05-2009, 08:08 PM
Clearly the only choice you have for a villain here is Gary Snarkovich, aka Doctor Spite, a Mastermind who is himself a mindless drone guided by the shadowy influence of the Talking Tyrants Trust. He shall wear a bright and colorful outfit because every other player-controlled villain in the game is an unoriginal moron who always wears red or black. He shall also be not hesitant to make snarky comments about what's happening around him and the ludicrous foes he'll be pitted against, because the developers don't take the plot seriously and neither should you.

It simply does not get more perfect than this. Powerleveler, make it so.

Elfir
03-06-2009, 02:44 AM

I... I really like this. My only request would be mastermind, because they're really neat and the one thing you can't get on heroside.

When I played it was on Freedom, heroside. Princess Tangerine was a raditation defender with bright green hair and pink-and-green striped everything. It was awesome. I'll do the "come baaaack" thing when I get a chance and make a villian. Who will also be brightly colored because otherwise I lose track of which dude I am on the screen.

ChefCthulhu
03-06-2009, 04:06 AM
Well this really makes me want to bring back Dr. Pneumatic. A Robot/Darks Mastermind. All fear the steam powered machinations of terror that this evil genius commands.

I'd say go for Captain Communism. SS/Shield Brute going for Burke as initial contact and Science origin.

Elfir
03-06-2009, 06:18 AM
Addendum: Mastermind if they now let you customize what your minions look like. Last I heard they implimented that sort of thing on weapons but I don't know for sure you can customize your ninjas or whatever. If not, that's lame and I don't support it. :p

SpoonyBardOL
03-06-2009, 06:42 AM
No, I don't think you can. Something to do with how the minions are coded, their appearance is randomized on everyone's display. Ie: Minion #1 might have a green shirt on your screen, and a blue shirt on someone else's.

It's a shame, but it would also mean that would potentially be 6 more costumes that would need to be transferred over the interwebs, whereas where their appearance is randomized the construction of their appearance is up to the computers on each user's end, they just need to know which minions are up.

Apparently I know more about this than I thought.

tl;dr version: Would be a neat feature, but too impractical.

Oathbreaker
03-06-2009, 12:36 PM
I agree completely. Thumbs up!

Also, lets do a Captain Ersatz (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CaptainErsatz) of Aku (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SamuraiJack) as a Mastermind and give him Robot Henchmen?

We can call him Umbral or Tyrant or something.

Archetype - Mastermind
Primary Powerset - Summon Robots
Secondary Powerset - Dark Miasma
Contact - Kalinda
Origin - Umbral is piece of Primal Evil who has slowly gained sentience. Its eventual goal is to enslave all reality.

This. Although I'd be just fine with you summoning ninjas instead.

I will probably not play this or any MMO for quite a while yet, but as I lurk through the FFXI and WoW threads already, this will be no different. And I want me some mastermind-induced entertainment. Corrupter would also be fine, but I don't know nearly enough about the game to make suggestions about powersets.

Lucas
03-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, I'm backing Dart Zaidyer's idea as well.

Elfir
03-06-2009, 12:47 PM
The only problem with robots is they take up a lot of screen space once you get the big 'uns. I wish you could have purple ninjas but I guess not. *pout*

Sarcasmorator
03-06-2009, 12:50 PM
If you go for robots, I propose the conceit is that they are captured message board spambots forced into an existence of servitude for all time.

These bots used to spam you! Now you spam these bots!

nunix
03-06-2009, 12:52 PM
These bots used to spam you! Now you spam these bots!

That is brilliant.

Indalecio
03-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Either Ninjas or Robots would be cool.

SuperRube
03-06-2009, 01:22 PM
I'll put in a vote for Dart's plan (eeeeevil plan) as well. I also like the idea of being a mastermind.

This thread will be very dangerous 'cause I loved me the shit out of some CoH/V back in the day. Mostly the character creator though. I think I only managed to get a guy to level 20 and that was only because of a bonus xp weekend. The allure of making new guys is just too great. Still, one thing I always wanted to do was get together with some folks and make a themed supergroup. That'd be rad if it ended up happening in this thread.

ChefCthulhu
03-06-2009, 01:51 PM
Still, one thing I always wanted to do was get together with some folks and make a themed supergroup. That'd be rad if it ended up happening in this thread.

Villian Group Name: CPU Overload
Requirement: Robotics Master Mind
Goal: To shut down everyone's computer by the introduction of so many robots on one screen as to cause CPU/GPU meltdown!

openedsource
03-06-2009, 02:21 PM
No one has suggested Ziff Vavif, wearing a top hat?

Sky Render
03-06-2009, 06:34 PM
I suppose it's rather obvious, but this thread seems to be titled after that notorious(ly silly) panel from one of those "teach your kids to count and read" books.

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/6/3/4/6345cfb094072774a7a18ffc8620ba85.jpg

If not, then there had better be some pastry theft in a later update, or there'll be hell to pay.

Indalecio
03-06-2009, 06:40 PM
If not, then there had better be some pastry theft in a later update, or there'll be hell to pay.

Wonder if there are any cake capers in COV.

Alixsar
03-06-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm all for Dart's idea, but I'd like to see some Merc action. Robots are great but I'd only want to see robot minions if you yourself were a robot.

Also, it's nice to see that another game has taken a page from FFXI and implemented Level Sync. Good for them.

Jeanie
03-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Also, it's nice to see that FFXI took a page from CoX and implemented Level Sync. Good for them.

City of Heroes did it years ago. The Blueside version is called Sidekicking.

Edit: oh and while I don't remember any Cake thievery (though you damn well better bet I'll make one with the upcoming mission creator), eventually when you get to the 40's we WILL do Westin Phelps story arcs, because one, you feel really evil during them, and two, its Battle Angel Alita references (aka fighting Agent Gally Ido)

Alixsar
03-06-2009, 07:06 PM
City of Heroes did it years ago. The Blueside version is called Sidekicking.

So, okay. There's Sidekicking, Level Pacting, Malefactoring, and Lackeying. Alright, I take that back. It's good that FFXI took a page from CoH/V's book and took the (basically the same) function that they gave 4 different names to and made it into one, easy to use ability.

SuperRube
03-06-2009, 07:13 PM
It's good that FFXI took a page from CoH/V's book and took the (basically the same) function that they gave 4 different names to and made it into one, easy to use ability.

Well, I don't think FF necessitated the need for the flavor text.

I know this is nitpicky shut up little shout outs like that is what made CoH/V fun damnnit.

Jeanie
03-06-2009, 07:22 PM
So, okay. There's Sidekicking, Level Pacting, Malefactoring, and Lackeying. Alright, I take that back. It's good that FFXI took a page from CoH/V's book and took the (basically the same) function that they gave 4 different names to and made it into one, easy to use ability.

Not really. Here's how it works. Sidekicking/Lackeying is when a higher level character brings a lower level character up temporarily to his level. The lowbie keeps his current powers and enhancements. He's functionally a higher level character, but usually much weaker. This is usually used to Power-level the lowbies. Sidekicking is the Hero side name for it, Lackeying is the Villain side name.

Exemplaring/Malefactoring is when a higher level character temporarily lowers his levels down to a lower level. He loses access to powers he gained after that level, but has all his enhancement slots in the powers he does have. This mostly happens on Task Forces, which are special story arcs that require a team of characters within a certain level range to run a series of special missions. The higher level character gains no experience from this, but makes much more cash in return.

Level Pacts are something new added in the last Issue. This when two characters under level 5 share all xp gained by the pair 50/50, even when one is off-line. Honestly, I wouldn't have mentioned this in the OP if I had wrote this, as the LP most likely won't do it.

nunix
03-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Alixsar has been appropriately taken to task for committing the sin of Imperfect MMO Knowledge, so I'll address the other thing.

I'm all for Dart's idea, but I'd like to see some Merc action. Robots are great but I'd only want to see robot minions if you yourself were a robot.

This is 100% doable. To top it off, you can manage a couple different styles of robo-look, mostly either a sleek "killer skele-borg" or "steampunk/clockwork windup". There's actually an entire enemy group CALLED the Clockwork which consist entirely of psychically-controlled brass clockwork automatons, not to mention the Prussian army from an alternate dimension that's also got a distinctly steampunk vibe and have a few robots of their own.

Alixsar
03-07-2009, 12:05 AM
So let me get this straight. You can sync up to their level, sync down to anothers level, and share levels 1-5. And it all has a different name depending on whether or not you're good or bad. This is Looney Tunes.

nunix
03-07-2009, 12:17 AM
So let me get this straight. You can sync up to their level, sync down to anothers level, and share levels 1-5. And it all has a different name depending on whether or not you're good or bad. This is Looney Tunes.

It's flavour text, man. It all started 'blueside' (the main color theme on the City of Heroes side of the game is blue; villains are red) as sidekicking (which, if I remember right, was in from Day 1), and then later mentoring came into effect.

But villains don't have sidekicks! They have lackeys. And so on. Understand that COV is built on the same engine but came out years later, so it's not like they came up with different names for everything from the word go.

Powerleveler
03-07-2009, 12:33 AM
Level Pacts are something new added in the last Issue. This when two characters under level 5 share all xp gained by the pair 50/50, even when one is off-line. Honestly, I wouldn't have mentioned this in the OP if I had wrote this, as the LP most likely won't do it.

Which is why i mentioned it in the second post.

All throwin' down in mah thread.

Also i'll be actually starting out sometime Saturday after 6 PM PST. So have your votes in by then!

EDIT: Ok, here's how it works.

SIDEKICKING/LACKEYING. These are the same thing. What happens is say I am on a level 38 character, and my friend logs in on his level 18 character. I can invite him to my team, and sidekick (on blueside) or lackey (on redside) him up. he will then have the combat stats of a level 37 (my level minus 1) character, but none of the extra power choices. At any time either character can break the sk/lk and things go back to having a level 38 and a level 18.

EXEMPLARING/MALEFACTORING. Alternately, the level 18 could take me on as his exemplar (blueside) or malefactor (redside) wherein i become level 18. Any powers that I picked after level 18 are unavailable to me, but any enhancing i did to powers that I took before 18 are still in place, so I will be a VERY powerful level 18. At any time either character can break the sk/lk and things go back to having a level 38 and a level 18.

Certain tasks in the game will auto-set you to a certain level, without a second character.

LEVEL PACTING (both sides.) This works by two characters, both under level 5, agreeing to form a "leveling pact." Once formed, any xp either character gains is split 50/50 with the other character. So if both are on and on the same team, then nothing changes. But if one say, leaves town for the weekend, his friend can keep playing and gain 5 levels. When the guy come back from out of town, he ALSO gains 5 levels because the xp is shared. While you can stay in this pact all the way up to level 50, at any time either character can break the pact. If at any time past level 5 this pact is broken it cannot be remade ever at all, but both characters will keep all xp that was gained while pacted. So this is a much more permanent way to buddy up.

HERE (http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Sidekick) is more information.

Aeonus
03-07-2009, 06:25 AM
Dang, I played this for maybe a month a couple years ago with my roommate (until he got back into WoW) and you've got me wanting to give it another shot. But it's not to be, because I have too many things going on in some other MMORPG (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=2403).

More on topic though, I like Mr. Snarkovich the mastermind.

Kirin
03-07-2009, 01:13 PM
...eventually when you get to the 40's we WILL do Westin Phelps story arcs, because one, you feel really evil during them, and two, its Battle Angel Alita references (aka fighting Agent Gally Ido)

Holy shit, what? This. Do this.

Also, relevant:
greetings (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/imagedump/20051117.jpg)
the agenda (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/imagedump/20060828.jpg)
a special ability (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/imagedump/20060407.jpg)
the agenda strikes again (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2007-06-18)
more flaming (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2007-08-13)

Jeanie
03-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Holy shit, what? This. Do this.

It's quite a ways away so patience. Or Click Here (http://cityofheroes.wikia.com/wiki/Westin_Phipps) for details/spoilers.

nunix
03-09-2009, 05:18 PM
Are we behind in schedule already, PL? =(

Indalecio
03-09-2009, 05:21 PM
Is there an online version of the chargen? It'd be cool if we could submit character designs, even if we didn't have the game.

Powerleveler
03-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Are we behind in schedule already, PL? =(

I'm almost done! It'll be up tonight, I got called into work ok, geez.

Also, I'M EVIL.

Also these do take longer than I thought, and I'm trying to figure out what kinda tone I wanna take and such and so on so i keep re-writing it.

SuperRube
03-10-2009, 12:17 AM
Is there an online version of the chargen? It'd be cool if we could submit character designs, even if we didn't have the game.

I believe that they did put out a stand alone version of the character creator, but then Marvel (at least I think it was Marvel, prolly should look that up)forced them to put the kabosh on it. Pretty sure they did so under the pretense of them believing it to be a do it yourself copyright violation machine of some sort. I also remeber most of the internet claiming they only did anything at all in because of Marvel having their own MMO type thing coming out relatively soon.

Your mileage my vary upon the truthfulness of any of what I just said up there. The whole shitstorm didn't really make a whole hell of a lot of sense and I have a crappy memory to begin with so... yeah.

Powerleveler
03-10-2009, 02:02 PM
Alright this will go up tomorrow because infraview and GIMP are horrible programs made by horrible people.

EDIT: I think i figured it out. Later tonight, sorry for the wait.

nunix
03-10-2009, 03:03 PM
I used irfanview when I was batch-processing both Legend of Mana and Guild Wars, and it worked out fine. Lemme know if it's still causing you headaches.

Knight
03-10-2009, 04:02 PM
I decided to go for that free trial the other day, and it's been pretty fun so far. I played CoH at launch, but I didn't get far because I would play a character to around level 10, and then abandon it to play around with the character creator some more, get that one to 10 or so, etc. I think the best one I had was a Dark/Regen Scrapper that I got to 16, and a Fire/something Blaster that I got to 13.

Right now I've got a Super Strength/Shield Defense Brute at level 6, and a Ice/Cold Corruptor at level 1 that I've yet to play because I keep deleting and recreating him and tweaking his design.

nunix
03-10-2009, 04:18 PM
I decided to go for that free trial the other day, and it's been pretty fun so far. I played CoH at launch, but I didn't get far because I would play a character to around level 10, and then abandon it to play around with the character creator some more, get that one to 10 or so, etc. I think the best one I had was a Dark/Regen Scrapper that I got to 16, and a Fire/something Blaster that I got to 13.

Right now I've got a Super Strength/Shield Defense Brute at level 6, and a Ice/Cold Corruptor at level 1 that I've yet to play because I keep deleting and recreating him and tweaking his design.

My launch characters were a Dark/Dark defender and an Ice Armor/Ice Melee tanker, but never got 'em past 30 or so. The only character I took to 50 is a Broadsword/Regeneration scrapper (even wrote a casual levelling + play guide for the build which I think is still linked on the forum).

My villains are dormant, but were an Electric Melee/Electric Armor brute (Aksarnanuk! What terrible things did the aurora borealis do to this Bering Sea fisherman?!) and a Thugs/Traps mastermind (Hosea the Many! A survivor of the Shadow Shard, his madness grants him strange powers~).

Aeonus
03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
I played CoH at launch, but I didn't get far because I would play a character to around level 10, and then abandon it to play around with the character creator some more, get that one to 10 or so, etc.

Yeah, I think I spent more time making characters than levelling any of them. I had a Radiation/Radiation Corruptor (designed to look like a cheesy villain from some low-budget 60s or 70s TV show), but I only got to level 8 or so. Then there were another dozen which I only played for 1 or two missions. Best chargen ever.

Powerleveler
03-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Welcome back to the City Of Villains Let's Play!

Introducing our protagonist, Dr. Spite!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-1.jpg

Dr. Spite, a robotics mastermind, took the votes pretty handily. There wasn't a lot of support for any one secondary, so I rolled for it and got Traps. This works out pretty well, actually, since the last power in the traps set is hilarious. Just 38 levels to go!

I will be out of town for a wedding for a week, so the next update will be a bit late. As was this one.

Let me know what you think about the length of the update here.

So, Let's Play!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-2.jpg
Ziggursky Penitentary. AKA the Zig. AKA the big house. AKA the pen. AKA why is this in the middle of a major city.
It's where villains go to rot after they've been arrested via punchings.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-3.jpg
Here I am, a lowly mad scientist who accidnetly turned a microwave into a giant rocket robot. I was just trying to make popcorn faster. Also deadlier.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-4.jpg
What's this? An explosion?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-5.jpg
FREEDOM! Well. Freedom to explore this hallway. Let's see what I can do here.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-6.jpg
Hey! You might have an idea what's going on, buddy.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-7.jpg"I'm not sure what happened. There was some kinda big explosion that shook loose a bunch of the cells. Most of the cons made a break for it and ran out into the Yard, only to be recaptured by security. Lots of people are saying Arachnos is involved, that they're trying to break out some sort of special people. Could even be you, I guess.

If you want to make a break for it though, you are gonna have to play it smart. I can hook you up with the right people to talk to, but I need a favor in return...

I've got this pain, see... and the only thing that helps are those pain relievers they got locked up in the infirmary. Go there and persuade the nurse to give them to you."

You know you can just...leave right now, right? Like walk out the door? To freedom? And better drugs? Fine, fine.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-8.jpg
Oh, a nurse. Aww, is the cautious caretaker completely cowed by my cunning caper?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-9.jpg
GOOD GOD KEEP YOUR MEDS.
Let's let Chuckles Downeyjr over there deal with his own DTs and look for something not horrible.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-10.jpg
Oh hey, a broken robot...let's just borrow a few things here...and...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-11.jpg
LAZERS!

[http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-12.jpg
A convienent hole leading out of this stupid place and into...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-13.jpg
Oh god I want back in the stupid place.
Oh wait I have lazers. Pew Pew Pew!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-14.jpg
Hahah you couldn't hold Tai Lung and you won't hold meeeee!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-15.jpg
YES! My ride!

Powerleveler
03-10-2009, 05:49 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-16.jpg"Well, well, you've arrived. Pardon my skepticism, but if I had a dollar for every punk convict who thinks they're destined for greatness, I'd be running my own criminal organization. I guess we'll see what you're made of when Kalinda gets her hands on you. Anyway, are you ready to get out of here? There are just a few loose ends to tie up before we take off.

The Arachnos demolitions guys didn't do their job right, and the radar coverage around Brickstown here is still up.

Typical.

I sent my co-pilot, Jenkins, into one of the bunkers with a bomb to finish the job, but I haven't got word back from him. If you want to get out of here, you are gonna have to bite the bullet and help out.

I need you to go into that bunker, rescue Jenkins and get the bomb he has. Once you have that, find the spot to place it and make sure it gets planted. Take out any escaped cons or security guards you see down there; they'll only screw things up for the rest of us. Once that bomb is set, get back here ASAP. Then we can head off to Mercy Island.

I've marked the bunker on your map and compass. Left click on the door to enter. Find Jenkins, defeat any enemies, and click on the image of the bomb in order to place it. With all that done, click Exit Mission in your Nav Bar and get back to me."

What? I'm a DESTINED ONE chump I am NOT going to run your oh a BOMB you say? Let's go.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-17.jpg
Thanks, buddy. Jerk.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-18.jpg
Well, I suppose I haven't lasered anything for about 5 minutes, let's go.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-19.jpg
And a few more awkward phone calls for the warden to make...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-20.jpg
And a BOMB! Let's just...hmm. interesting design, this is a weird circuit, didn't know they could do this, well it looks superfluous let's just borrow it for a bit and scram.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-21.jpg
BOOM!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-22.jpg
Boom?

Whoops.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-23.jpg
Look, um...yeah. So that didn't quite work out like we both hoped, but the loudmouth got away right? How about a ride? Whoo! To freedom and Destiny!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-24.jpg
Hmm. Interesting console design, is that a Forrester Bridge connected to a Prometheus circuit? Can I take a look at...whoops.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-25.jpg
Well, any landing you can walk away from eh?
Hmm, what can I do with a Forrester bridge...I know!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-26.jpg
YOU RECEIVE: SCAN VISOR.

Well let's take a look around!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-27.jpg
Scan Complete Lore entry logged. Mercy Island. This is the beginner zone, with enemies capping out at level 6. This island was one of the first claimed by Recluse during his rise to power. It was initally heavily populated by the Snakemen, but Recluse ordered most of them wiped out. They retreated underground, repopulating and waiting for their chance to strike. Once the Rikti alien forces invaded back in 2004 they found their chance. With Recluse distracted, they attacked the town and the Arachnos base there, Fort Darwin. Arachnos again fought them back, but Recluse stayed their hand this time, prefering to study them to further his plans of conquest, and to cull the weaker villains early on. New villains will find their first two contacts in this zone.

Two contacts, which to talk to, hmm. Kalinda or Burke, Kalinda or Bu...what's this? I didn't build this

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-28.jpg
YOU WILL SPEAK TO BURKE

I think I will speak to Burke!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-29.jpg
"You think you know all about Arachnos, huh? Sure you do. Big, fancy posters, lotsa pomp 'n' circumstance. Well, let me tell you: you don't know jack. That's ok, though. You're about to find out.

I like to keep tabs on my neighbors, so I need you to plan these little bugs on the flyers inside Fort Darwin. Easy peasy. It'll give you a chance to see what Arachnos is like in combat. Heck, you might even impress 'em! Arachnos is always looking for the latest good material to come out of the Zig. They use this whole island as a proving ground for their fresh meat.

Here's an access code to get into Fort Darwin. Wait until the coast is clear, then plant the bugs on the Arachnos flyers."

Alrighty then, I'm really good with flyers, let's go pokin' some more. With a little practice I'm sure I can keep one airborne! Plus, with some of the bits I've procured, I have a new helper!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-30.jpg
SCANNING!
Scan Complete. Creatures entry logged. Battle Drone. The lowest level, or "minion" class robot. They use lasers to damage their enemies. Talented masterminds are able to control up to three at once.

Aww, it's like that time I was getting my hair done and accidently turned a hair dryer and half a jug of that blue comb stuff into an acid powered hellbot. Good times.

Powerleveler
03-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Arachnos? SCAN EM.
Scan Complete Creatures entry logged. Arachnos Agents. The footsoldiers of the Arachnos Organization. They fall into two categories: Bane soliders, favoring stealth and strength, or Fortunatas, favoring guile and horrible psychic attacks that hurt so damn much. Often encountered, even as an agent of Arachnos because there is a deep moral lesson about evil turning on itselzzzzzzzzzzzzz

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-31.jpg
Well, with my little buddy's help here, we managed to take out all the opposition, and plant all the bugs!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-32.jpg

Victory! Well I'm glad that's over with, I'd hate to take out too many Arachnos Agents, it would probably draw a lot of attention this early in my villainy career.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-33.jpg
"Glad to see you. We've got a job. Seems someone's hired us to steal some old book from Ghost Widow's faction. The book is called the Mu Codex. Who's hired us, you ask? Why, Mako's faction! That's right, those Arachnos factions are always at each other's throats. You'd best remember that if you ever decide to get involved with their lot. Trust no one.

Oh, there's one more thing I didn't tell you. I'm planning to keep this book for myself. So wipe out everyone in the Arachnos lab, won't you? It's the only way we can get away clean."

Dammit.

A few lasers later!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-34.jpg
Ohhh, this is a FANCY safe, what with the 10-key pad. It's all empty now, shame to let it go to waste...Hmm.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-35.jpg
WHEEEE! Well this was a fun afternoon, I think I'll take a break.

RETURN TO BURKE.

Well that was a weird little blackout...hey it's Burke! I guess I'll see what's next!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-33.jpg "I'm sure you know that Arachnos likes to think they own everything on this grubby little island. Well, they're wrong. For starters, they don't own me. And if you're smart, you won't let them own you either. So here, in the shadow of Fort Darwin, I'm asking you to help me get away with an operation right under Arachnos' nose. Think you can handle that?

I've been hired by an interested party to investigate the origins of the Snakes. Now, Arachnos doesn't want anybody but themselves knowing what goes on with those slimy little worms, but I happen to think that knowledge belongs to the person strong enough to grab it. So, I've picked out a snake hole for you to investigate. Bring me back a snake skin, and we'll get to work."

Huh. Gonna be hard to get a whole skin what with lasers. But I'll see what I can do!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-38.jpg
Aha! A snake den! Easy pickins

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-39.jpg
Burned it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-40.jpg
Burned it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-41.jpg
Burned it. Dammit! That was all the snakes! Why are snake skins so flimsy!?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-42.jpg
Oh look. I found a very solid snake skin in this box. Wonderful!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-43.jpg
Ok buddy, got your snake skin, happy to not have to deal with those things anym...what's that? Take out a hatchery? Of...chickens I hope?

Dammit.

Fine where is it? You don't...I have to look where? I hate you.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-44.jpg
Dammit.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-45.jpg
Ok let's see what I can see. Yessssss, thatssssss jussssssst sssssssuper where's the damn hatchery. (Yes they really talk like that. Seriously)

Powerleveler
03-10-2009, 05:52 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-46.jpg
Also...hmm. Hinges. What can I do with hinges.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-47.jpg
Nice.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-48.jpg
Yeah, ok, so I got the map, big dog. I am tired of snakes. You can send your other goons to the hatchery, it's locate....what's that? No I don't really want to go in there, actually. No I don't care. I will hang up on you!

YOU WILL GO IN THERE

Well of COURSE I will, Burke, thank you for asking nicely.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-50.jpg
Woah, hatchery. Well at least I got here before anything nasty actually hatched.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-51.jpg

Dammit.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-52.jpg

And that is just disgusting.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-53.jpg

MAN. Finally. No more stupid snakes.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-33.jpg"You know my code of honor? None. I'll steal from anyone if the price is right. From Arachnos, from Longbow, even from the Snakes if they had anything worth taking. But on this particular day, we're going after the good guys. Longbow. Saviors of Paragon City, thorn in the side of Arachnos. Truth is, I don't mind Longbow so much. They irritate Arachnos, which I can't help but find entertaining. Trouble is, Longbow's got something I want.

Longbow's got some of the best cryptographers this side of Paragon City. One of them is known as Agent Kurst. I need Kurst's files. Not only do they contain a wealth of knowledge about Arachnos ciphers, they also are likely to contain a mention or two about the codes my clients use. Which means, I'm sorry to say, Kurst isn't long for this world."

...I would rather fight more snakes please.

Dammit.
SCAN EM!
Scan Complete Creatures entry logged. Longbow. Also known as God. Damn. Longbow. At low levels they are a minor threat, but as a villain progesses through the game they become one of the most hated enemy groups around, full of AoEs and horrible debuffs. Plus they are one of perhaps three "hero" NPC groups in the entire game, so they show up all the damn time.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-55.jpg
Much as rock beats scissors, lasers beat spandex.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-56.jpg
And one hacked Gibson later, the info! Huzzah!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-33.jpg"Excellent job. These files will server me well. They should let me eavesdrop on secret Arachnos conversations—at least, until these ciphers are rotated out of use. It's important to keep an eye on Arachnos. They're always testing everybody here on Mercy, myself included. Trying to figure out who's strong enough to survive and who's weak enough to crush under their boot heels. When someone's watching you, it's a good idea to watch them right back.

There's a rather odd fellow I'd like you to meet: Doctor Creed. He's a strange man, but he knows a lot about the Infected, and he's looking for a lab assistant."

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/DrCreed.jpg
A new contact! No more damn snakes! Yay!

Next time on City of Villains!

Dastardly Doctors? Disgusting displaced denizens dare delay my deviant deviltries?

While you're eagerly awaiting the next action-packed installment, I need a name for the robot! In fact, give me three names for cute little laser bots.

nunix
03-10-2009, 06:01 PM
I like the RP stuff for the Nemesis staff et cetera, that's pretty clever!

Update length seems about right. It feels like there're too many images for the amount of text, or maybe the images are too large.. I don't know what you're doing for hosting, if you can link a 640x480 snapshot/thumbnail to the full-size image, that'd be keen to me.

Powerleveler
03-10-2009, 06:10 PM
I believe that they did put out a stand alone version of the character creator, but then Marvel (at least I think it was Marvel, prolly should look that up)forced them to put the kabosh on it. Pretty sure they did so under the pretense of them believing it to be a do it yourself copyright violation machine of some sort. I also remeber most of the internet claiming they only did anything at all in because of Marvel having their own MMO type thing coming out relatively soon.

Your mileage my vary upon the truthfulness of any of what I just said up there. The whole shitstorm didn't really make a whole hell of a lot of sense and I have a crappy memory to begin with so... yeah.
They released a stand-alone chargen when they release City of Hero, the Korean version of the game. They chargen was only released in Korea, due to the USA's horrific copyright system.

The Marvel lawsuit actually predates the Korean release, and is rumored to be part of why the chargen was never released here.

Update length seems about right. It feels like there're too many images for the amount of text, or maybe the images are too large.. I don't know what you're doing for hosting, if you can link a 640x480 snapshot/thumbnail to the full-size image, that'd be keen to me.

I'm Photobucketing it here, so yeah. I think I can do that?

nunix
03-10-2009, 06:14 PM
I'm Photobucketing it here, so yeah. I think I can do that?

I dunno, wait and see if anyone else is bugged by it, it could just be me! Or I am being overly critical about it, I dunno, I looked it over again and they're not as large as they seemed. Maybe I'm just goin' crazy. =(

Aeonus
03-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I don't think smaller images would hurt. They are bigger than most of the ones in other people's LPs, but they look even bigger when they each only get a little, one-line caption. But given the genre, I don't want to tell you to go into every little thing in depth or we'll be here for decades. What I am curious about is what these gadgets you keep "making" actually are supposed to be and what they do (like the scan visor and the gear staff, but no need to point out that jetpacks make you fly). Maybe you could do a little addendum post once in a while that points out the nuts 'n' bolts and game mechanics stuff, like those items and what the powers you pick do.

I like the snappy pacing though. And your wit keeps it interesting. Keep up the good work!

Indalecio
03-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Welcome back to the City Of Villains Let's Play!

Introducing our protagonist, Dr. Spite!
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/CoVLP1-1.jpg

Dr. Spite, a robotics mastermind, took the votes pretty handily. There wasn't a lot of support for any one secondary, so I rolled for it and got Traps. This works out pretty well, actually, since the last power in the traps set is hilarious. Just 38 levels to go!

Excellent. Very much what I had in mind, especially the monocle. As a suggestion for an alternate costume, I'd make two little changes. Drop the labcoat, add a black cape and black top hat, for a classy look. Everything is great so far.

Lucas
03-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Boilin' Bobby
Searing Sam(antha)
Lightwave Leroy

Dart Zaidyer
03-10-2009, 07:55 PM
Oooh, I like this character already.

Good minion names aren't as easy for me to come up with compared to character names, but here's my offering for the three robots:

Spiteborg Mauler
Death 999
Bob

nunix
03-10-2009, 07:56 PM
What I am curious about is what these gadgets you keep "making" actually are supposed to be and what they do (like the scan visor and the gear staff, but no need to point out that jetpacks make you fly).

I'll jump in here; if PL would prefer to do this I'll keep out, but I like talkin' about the game. ;P

The visor is a costume piece (most costume pieces are unlocked by default, by levelling up, or by completing certain in-game requirements; a few, like the visor and I think those boots, are the equivalent of micropay DLC).

The gun is part of the Robots powerset; each primary powerset for Masterminds is mostly focused around your minions, but also includes a couple of theme-appropriate weapon attacks. Your laser's appearance can be selected from a set number of models some at character generation (this was NOT in at launch, in fact it's a relatively recent addition) and some more can be unlocked later.

The staff is a veteran reward; keep your account going for 3-month multiples, get unlocks. Sometimes it's costume, sometimes it's a minor power. In this case, it's a Nemesis Staff, which throws a force bolt that can knock enemies back and do damage. The whole veterans-rewards is somewhat controversial, because they'll add some pretty good stuff that basically no one has any chance of having (especially now, since the playerbase is so small).

The jetpack is either a veteran reward or a pack-in bonus with some editions of the game, I forget which. In this case it's not actually flight but a super jump. Works for 60 seconds at a stretch, then has a 5 minute cooldown, I think. Been awhile. It's fantastically useful because you can only take a weak-version travel power at level 6, and a full-blown travel power at level 14. Having a way to get around (and UP) the city right from go is such a godsend.

So anyway! Whenever he's talking about taking scrap from the world and making little gadgets, the game doesn't actually support that; he's just fleshing things out, bit of roleplay/creative license/whatever.

Elfir
03-11-2009, 07:40 AM
The jetpack came with the version of the game I got way back when. I used it to induce falling-related death for the most part.

I like the images at the current size because you can make out so much detail. Some of the shots don't need that kind of detail but for a good number it was nice to have.

Knight
03-11-2009, 09:04 AM
Man, I looked up some of the veteran rewards, and that's kind of messed up that they blocked off a bunch of cool costume pieces. It's made even worse that they unlock when your played time reaches that amount, rather than your account being active for that long. At least the trench coat is only 3 months, so if I decide to subscribe I could just leave my character logged in game while I'm at work to make it go by faster.

Also, like nunix said, being able to change your weapons model was not in at launch. Everyone had the same katanas, claws, broadswords, or goofy looking assault rifle. I really like this change, as I was always disappointed that I couldn't give my mafia style AR/Traps Blaster a tommy gun. I saw on a wiki page that they added it in, but they disappointed me again by making it an unlockable from killing 100 of the mafia bosses. Some of those unlockables are a real pain in the ass.

ChefCthulhu
03-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Veteran Rewards are done by account paid time not ingame time. IE. Paid for 3 months then quit for 9 you would have the 3 month veteran not the 9 month. Regardless if you played even an hour during the 3 months time.

ChefCthulhu
03-11-2009, 09:54 AM
So anyway! Whenever he's talking about taking scrap from the world and making little gadgets, the game doesn't actually support that; he's just fleshing things out, bit of roleplay/creative license/whatever.

Actually the salvage system that is in game now allows you to create new costume pieces. In addition to really nice Enhancements. Also the Villian side has some early missions that grant you jump/flight packs with something like 12 hours of actual flight time. My Mastermind has his still even though he's in his late 30s.

Knight
03-11-2009, 09:55 AM
Veteran Rewards are done by account paid time not ingame time. IE. Paid for 3 months then quit for 9 you would have the 3 month veteran not the 9 month. Regardless if you played even an hour during the 3 months time.
Ooooooooh. I guess I misread the wiki article on it, when it said that Veteran Rewards are for "time played, not time paid". Now that I went back and re-read it, they meant it that the rewards are given after your account reaches that age. Like if you paid for 3 months, you would have to wait until the end of those 3 months for your trenchcoat, rather that getting it immediately.

nunix
03-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Actually the salvage system that is in game now allows you to create new costume pieces. In addition to really nice Enhancements.

See, I almost mentioned this, but didn't want to over-complicate things.

PL is specifically saying things like, "I'll take a piece of this vault (a model in a level) and use that to make a thing!" Which the game doesn't support, which is what the original question is. It'd be GREAT if it did, but it don't.

Salvage (which I think is a fucking stupid idea; way to go, Cryptic, adding an inventory and grind to a game that didn't need it!) from enemies is a completely different thing.

Knight
03-11-2009, 10:48 AM
Also, I forgot to add that I'm just a little disappointed that they haven't added various guns to use for the different Blaster/Corruptor powersets. I was hoping to be able to use a freeze ray (or flamethrower if I went fire), but I'll just settle for big robot hands as my reasons for shooting ice shards. It's not that big of a deal, but it just seems like something that would have been easy to add in.

I have a few questions for you veteran types, can you recommend some good resources for information or guides on an Ice/Cold Corruptor and a Super Strength/Shield Defense Brute? I looked a bit on the CoH forums, and the only guide I found for Ice/Cold was from 2005, and I'm sure the games changed a lot since then. Are jet packs an actual costume option? I saw a few different temporary ones on the wiki, (and rocket boots!) but nothing about one as a permanent costume accessory.

nunix
03-11-2009, 11:19 AM
Also, I forgot to add that I'm just a little disappointed that they haven't added various guns to use for the different Blaster/Corruptor powersets. I was hoping to be able to use a freeze ray (or flamethrower if I went fire), but I'll just settle for big robot hands as my reasons for shooting ice shards. It's not that big of a deal, but it just seems like something that would have been easy to add in.

Yeah, power customisation was always wanted and never given. You can make everything work within the CoX universe, but they didn't think about the fact that with a superhero game, people are going to want to get pretty creative (even if they shouldn't, because they have terrible and stupid ideas)

I have a few questions for you veteran types, can you recommend some good resources for information or guides on an Ice/Cold Corruptor and a Super Strength/Shield Defense Brute? I looked a bit on the CoH forums, and the only guide I found for Ice/Cold was from 2005, and I'm sure the games changed a lot since then. Are jet packs an actual costume option? I saw a few different temporary ones on the wiki, (and rocket boots!) but nothing about one as a permanent costume accessory.

Re: guides: post on the subforums, someone might link something appropriate.

There are no backpack costume options (have to wait for Champions Online for that) of any kind. You can get a cape at level 20, and wings as a vet reward, but that's it.

Knight
03-11-2009, 03:59 PM
Yeah, power customisation was always wanted and never given. You can make everything work within the CoX universe, but they didn't think about the fact that with a superhero game, people are going to want to get pretty creative (even if they shouldn't, because they have terrible and stupid ideas)

There are no backpack costume options (have to wait for Champions Online for that) of any kind. You can get a cape at level 20, and wings as a vet reward, but that's it.
That's a shame that there's no permanent jet packs, but I think I can make do with the rocket boots and maybe the tech wings too, but I'll have to get the recipes and ingredients for them. Hopefully that isn't too difficult.

Sarcasmorator
03-11-2009, 04:01 PM
Oooh, I like this character already.

Good minion names aren't as easy for me to come up with compared to character names, but here's my offering for the three robots:

Spiteborg Mauler
Death 999
Bob

I still think you should use the names of actual spambots from this forum.

Jeanie
03-11-2009, 05:27 PM
I still think you should use the names of actual spambots from this forum.

The protector bots he can get at level 12 WILL be named Philliam and Dizzy.

SpoonyBardOL
03-12-2009, 04:08 AM
Tom Servbot?

Man, damn you all for making me want to renew my subscription. The upcoming Mission creator is already tempting enough!

Kirin
03-12-2009, 07:32 AM
I admit, I'm kind of disappointed that taking apart random bits of the level and making them into cool gadgets isn't really in the game.

On the other hand, I don't own the game, I'm just reading the LP. So I can pretend they're real, and the flavor text is awesome! Carry on, then.

nunix
03-15-2009, 07:20 PM
So, if Dr. Spite had a partner-in-crime/lackey, who would it be? What archetype and powerset, et cetera? Just another robot mastermind, or something else?

Aeonus
03-16-2009, 01:44 PM
So, if Dr. Spite had a partner-in-crime/lackey, who would it be? What archetype and powerset, et cetera? Just another robot mastermind, or something else?

The Harsher*, a Brute. Maybe Stone Melee, so you get the hammer. And Fiery Aura for the resistance to flames.

*I assume anyone named "The Tard Harsher" would be forced to change it

Sarcasmorator
03-16-2009, 02:08 PM

The Flaming Maragos?

SuperRube
03-16-2009, 05:25 PM
A Fire/Fire brute, made up to look like a giant robot. His name would be "Explodin' Effrim the Retarded Robot"

Dr. Spite would harsh him mercilessly, of course.

Aeonus
03-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh! You could be The Talking Tyrant, another Mastermind. Maybe Robotics again?

Elfir
03-17-2009, 03:28 AM
Oh! You could be The Talking Tyrant, another Mastermind. Maybe Robotics again?

Sounds like a Rival! But of course they sometimes team up for the greater evil, because that's what the love between rivals is.

Powerleveler
03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Update hopefully tomorrow, sorry for the wait, being out of town for a week and some results in a bit of a real life backlog.

I don't think smaller images would hurt. They are bigger than most of the ones in other people's LPs, but they look even bigger when they each only get a little, one-line caption. But given the genre, I don't want to tell you to go into every little thing in depth or we'll be here for decades. What I am curious about is what these gadgets you keep "making" actually are supposed to be and what they do (like the scan visor and the gear staff, but no need to point out that jetpacks make you fly). Maybe you could do a little addendum post once in a while that points out the nuts 'n' bolts and game mechanics stuff, like those items and what the powers you pick do.

I like the snappy pacing though. And your wit keeps it interesting. Keep up the good work!
Like Nunix said, most of this stuff is just me having fun with the chargen. The "scan visor" is actually just a costume piece and a special aura that I'm RPing into a way to detail some of the game's lore while RPing it up.

The Staff is a special reward for being subscribed to the game for some ungodly number of months, it's a nifty ranged attack that is really handy at the low levels before you have a few "normal" attacks available.

Salvage and actually crafting things IS in the game, and whenever I actually make use of it I'll note it. For now, I'm just makin' believe when I "invent" things.

See you tomorrow!

Powerleveler
03-26-2009, 01:01 PM
Welp I'm back! Sorry for the delay. Somedays all it takes is something shiny, y'know?

Let's Play!

When last we left our sinister Spite, we were on our way to meet Dr. Creed, who works with the homeless. I'm very excited, this is the first real contact since I left My Own Prison.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg Ah, you must be Doctor Spite! I am the infamous Doctor Creed! You may have heard of my genius... I was once part of the illustrious brain trust at SERAPH until I learned what fools my so-called peers were! They tossed around words like 'ethics' and 'morals'... bah! Such things are minor obstacles on the path leading to true breakthroughs in SCIENCE!

I've been studying the Infected on Mercy Island for a while, researching these living zombie-men who have become nothing more than pathetic rejects of humanity. They believe they can gain power by subsisting on the toxic cesspool waters of Mercy Island—and you've seen the results of that! However, I believe at the root of their madness lies a grain of truth, the ability for an Infected to become a true super-powered being! If there is power to be gained through experimentation on these Infected, then the genius of Doctor Creed will find it!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg Really. You "think" there might be a "grain" of truth in this. Hi, phone for you, it's the Toxic Avenger. And the Flash. And Daredevil. And Blight. And the Griffins.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg Shut up.
I have discovered a rare occurrence! Amongst the dregs of the Infected an individual with actual super-powers has emerged! He has manifested the ability to project bio-generated electricty from his body and adopted the hero-name of Biopulse. This is the perfect opportunity to obtain a live specimen for experimentation! Muhahaha!

We must move quickly though; already Biopulse has set up a clandestine meeting with Longbow in the sewers beneath Mercy, hoping to gain support and champion the cause of the Infected. Stop Biopulse from joining Longbow!

Once you have defeated that do-gooder wannabe, I'll have him shipped to my lab for dissection!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-1.jpg
And we're off into the Rogue Isle's absurdly spacious sewer system! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AbsurdlySpaciousSewer)
First thing of note: the Homeless. Scan Visor, get the fuck out here!

The Infected: Homeless people who were mutated by toxic waste just enough that shooting them doesn't trigger an "M" rating.
Well then! T Ratings away!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-2.jpg
And what would a mission be without God. Damn. Longbow.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-3.jpg
Fortunately the boss is nearby, and being a homeless mutant doesn't save him from lasers and robot punch, leaving him no doubt to wonder What's This Life For.

NEXT!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg As a scientist, one must always have contingency plans in place in case something goes wrong. What's the point in creating an army of super-powered zombie-men when they can turn on you at any moment and rend you limb from limb? It's extremely counter-productive to any long-term goals of world domination!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg Safewords are for wussies.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg Here's a safe word: shut up. As a part of risk mitigation I have developed a new Infected 'anti-serum' which causes the chemical equivalent of a chain reaction in weaker Infected, with some rather spectacular results! The least of the Infected are called the Stricken - they have the right bio-chemical balance to trigger the effect we're looking for. Go out and test the anti serum on the Stricken!

A pack of these Infected have broken into a local warehouse. I should be a good testing ground for the anti-serum. As an added bonus, I can later use it as a testing ground for my experiments! Ha ha! Two birds with one stone!

Powerleveler
03-26-2009, 01:03 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-4.jpg
So, a vial of unknown chemicals. Let's see what they do.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-5.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-6.jpg

MAHAHAHAHAUAAUHAHAUAHAUAHAHAHAHA
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-7.jpg
WHOOOHOOOHOOOO
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-8.jpg
EEEEEHEHEEEEEEE
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-9.jpg
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEE

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg I take it the anti-serum is working effectively? Good!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg MAKE A LONGBOW VERSION BEFORE I FEED YOU TO MY ROBOT.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg B...but I only work with the homeless!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg I made his teeth out of lasers.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg H..how is that even...oh wait! There was some guy the homeless ate, how about I give you his old robot instead!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-10.jpg
Done.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg While you were off testing the Infected anti-serum I was contacted by a member of Arachnos who says he has more information on the source of the contaminant in the water which produces the Infected. Unfortunately, the idiot got himself captured by Longbow before he was able to deliver me the information! Fortunately, I managed to find the warehouse where they took him for interrogation. Break into the warehouse and capture the Arachnos informant from Longbow!

Bring me back the Arachnos informant intact! He's useless to me unconscious!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-11.jpg
Longboooooow! Why'd I take the robot. I should have insisted on Longbow explodydrugs. Thankfully robots are naturally explodey.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-12.jpg
Also thankfully the Longbow are stuuupid and let their hostage keep his weapon, so he helps me fight to safety, leaving me to deliver his message to Doctor Creed.

Powerleveler
03-26-2009, 01:04 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-13.jpg
I thank him on the way out. I'm so happy he was here to help. Ours is a forbidden love.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg How'd it go?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg Pretty well. I'm supposed to tell you something about a doctor....ghost? Ghast? Ghastly?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg WHAT? Doctor Geist was once a colleague of mine who stole my mutation theories for himself! Arachnos is letting one of my greatest rivals run medical experiments in their labs? And the waste from these experiments is what is causing the Infected? I must know what he is up to!

So my old rival Doctor Geist sold out to Arachnos and is doing medical experiments for them, eh? And the waste from those experiments is ending up in the cesspools of Mercy and causing the Infected to come about? I must know more about those experiments! Break into Fort Cerberus and get the information out of Doctor Geist!

Make Doctor Geist pay for his treachery! Find what he knows so I may seize the knowledge for myself!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-14.jpg
The fools! They said that I, the ingenious Dr. Geist, would never make anything of myself! Now here I am, working for Lord Recluse, unlocking the secrets of these Arachnoids! Soon, I will work my way up the Arachnos hierarchy and get the resources I need to create my ULTIMATE SECRET WEAPON! Then, I shall rule the WORLD! Mwuhahahahahaha!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-15.jpg
GEIST! Get back to work or we'll cut off more than your funding!
I hate mad scientists.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpgHa! You think you hate them now, Geist didn't even bother to invent a laser robot!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-16.jpg
Geist doesn't seem the type to back up his files. Nor does he seem the type to back up his FACE.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-17.jpg
And with Geist and his lackey/tormentor down, Creed should be satisfied. I return with Arms Wide Open.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg You defeated Doctor Geist? AND you discovered what he was up to? Excellent! most excellent! With this information I will rule the WORLD! Muhahaha!

I am working on deriving a serum from the blood of the Infected. However, I need a number of subjects to test the serum on! This is where you come in!

Huh? No, no, I don't mean to test it on you (although it's not a BAD idea). No, I need you to gather up some test subjects! You know, the dregs of humanity, people who won't be missed. I know of a warehouse where a bunch of those wretches live their pathetic lives; I have a truck waiting nearby which will take you there. Kidnap a couple of these homeless people and load them onto the truck. My driver will take them to my lab so I can commence experimentation!

The warehouse is also used by the Hellions, so you can expect to run into a bunch of those uncouth punks in there as well. They'll likely be guarding the entrance to the warehouse.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg More homeless people serums? Well, I suppose when you have something that works it's best to stick with it.
For example, lasers.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-18.jpg
A few hobos later, I'm in the warehouse, fighting Hellions!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-19.jpg
Hellions. Adorable non-denominational-satan worshipping pyromaniacs. The gang’s colors tend towards red and orange, and their trappings include demonic symbols. Most members have devils, demons, or pentagrams tattooed somewhere on their body, along with the term Blood Brothers, for that is what all members are called once they have passed their initiation. Indoctrination to the gang first involves an act of violence (spilling another’s blood), and then a ritual scarring where a recruit ceremonially cuts himself. This is said to unleash a Hellion’s inner potential and to demonstrate his mastery over pain and flesh. Also his mastery over an embarrasingly large collection of Clive Barker books.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-20.jpg
Turns out non-denominational satan should have invested his minions with magnetism powers.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-21.jpg
With the hobastages in hand, I'm out!

Powerleveler
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-22.jpg
CRAP! It's the fuzz!
The Rogue Island Police, or RIP. Non-superpowered, very ordinary, average humans with no special training entrusted with guarding the Rogue Isles from giant robots, mystical demons, psychopaths, evil clowns, and longbow with nothing more than pistols. Seriously.

And it was over so quickly I even forgot to get a picture.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg My experiments on the Infected are going well, but I am lacking certain rare and expensive medical supplies. Fortunately I have located a cargo shipment of said supplies on its way to Paragon City! Intercept the cargo shipment, defeat their guards, and steal the medical supplies!

Many of the ships which travel past the Rogue Isles hire mercenaries to protect the cargo. Expect some resistance!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg Viva la resistance! Wait no, MUERTE la resistance!
Let's see what kind of resistance we're up against.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-23.jpg
Wyvern. According to public record, Wyvern is a private security agency hired by Paragon’s wealthiest families. Yet the public face, upheld by owner Delia Huntley, masks the true nature of this dangerous strike force: arrow fetishists.

Behind the facade, Wyvern is in fact the dark arm of Manticore’s crusade for justice. Justin Sinclair, aka Manticore, was increasingly frustrated by the limitations placed upon the heroes of Paragon City, and so he created Wyvern to carry out those ambiguous tasks that the Freedom Corps is unwilling to perform. Firm believers in the notion that the ends justify the means, Wyvern agents walk the line between hero and mercenary. Given that their primary weapons are bows and arrows they also walk the line between unconscious and dead.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-24.jpg
Did...did you really just pull a knife on the guy with the METAL robots? Really? Look I understand that arrows aren't the BEST tool for fighting evil but let's be serious for at least a minute. At least they're ranged.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-25.jpg
A boot? Really? With your foot? Ok then never mind. Here's hoping Manticore offers solid health benefits, since he sure as hell doesn't believe in quality on-the-job training.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/Creed.jpg Ah, these medical supplies will do nicely! Excellent bit of thieving, you! This will keep me busy for some time! Muahah!

I hate to tell him that the supplies were acne cream and Geritol. He just seems so happy, y'know?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-26.jpg
Well, Mercy Island is feeling a bit small timey. With a heavy heart, I realize it's time I moved Higher in the world. Seems Port Oakes is the receptionist to Mercy Island's mail boy, so let's see what kind of havoc we can wreak!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-27.jpg
Port Oakes. Recommended for villains of levels 7-15, Port Oakes has a history steeped in piracy, massacres, ghosts and totalitarian rule, among other totally awesome things. The governorship of the island is currently in dispute between the heads of two separate mafia families after the previous governor was arrested by Super Interpol. Lord Recluse is on record as allowing this feud to continue as "It makes me giggle, those silly little men. They're charming, really."

Well, what is there to do in the big city these days?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-28.jpg
The newspaper in each zone (except Mercy Island) is full of interesting tidbits about expensive shipments coming into the area, important people to kidnap, and local thugs trying to play tough guy. Plenty of things to do for an adventurous lad and his robot friends, like shooting more non-denominational satanists!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-29.jpg
It's good to know you're with me in spirit guys. Also you're with me in the body of a tiny little steampunk monster who likes to speak directly into my brain.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-30.jpg
Hellions!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-31.jpg
Hellions with temp jobs in accounting!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-32.jpg
New guys! Mooks? Tell me more, tell me more!
Mooks. They are mooks.

Thanks Scan Visor!

My hard work paid off! I'm starting to make a name for myself. Some chump names "Mikey the Ear" left a coded message in the paper telling me to swing by for something big (actual message: The cops in this town are stupid and I am hungover come talk to me for something big -Mikey the Ear).

Powerleveler
03-26-2009, 01:06 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-33.jpg Ready to cause some mayhem in Paragon City? Go to Atlas Park and hit one of the banks there. Once you hit Atlas you'll have 15 minutes to rob the bank and escape.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpgHECKS YEAH.

NEXT TIME ON CITY OF VILLAINS

Bank robberies? New contacts? G...ghooooosts? Will our insidious inventor prove up to these inspired iniquities? Tune in next time!

HEY TALKING TIME. Pick my next contact!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-34.jpg
Will it be Angelo Vendetti, who has a vendetta against the villains who ousted his family from the mafia?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-35.jpg
Or perhaps Billie Heck, a small timer who works for one of the crime families in town?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP2/CoVLP2-36.jpg
Or maybe you'll shun the mob altogether and go for the crazy voodoo loving Mr. Bocor and his FANTASTIC hat!

Vote now!

Lucas
03-26-2009, 01:17 PM
MR. BOCOR.

Elfir
03-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Vodoo man!

Knight
03-26-2009, 01:40 PM
As much as like mobster stuff, I just can't resist Mr. Bocor and his fantastic hat.

SpoonyBardOL
03-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Bocor, duh.

I'm sure one of his missions has a BADGE. You haven't gotten in to Badges, yet, perfect time for it!

SuperRube
03-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I'm glad we're done with mad scientists for the moment, because I was hearing the Monarchs voice narrating everyone's dialog and that got pretty confusing.

Anyhow, I'm voting BOCOR because Jebus H Cripes I'm afraid something horrible will happen if I don't.

Powerleveler
03-26-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm glad we're done with mad scientists for the moment, because I was hearing the Monarchs voice narrating everyone's dialog and that got pretty confusing.

Oh goddamit now I hear it.

nunix
03-26-2009, 10:52 PM
Oh goddamit now I hear it.

Well now you'll know what Ghost Widow sounds like. ;D

PapillonReel
03-27-2009, 01:48 PM
Who likes voodoo? You do!

Go with Bodor.

Kirin
03-29-2009, 08:27 AM
As much as I like Vendetti's flaming orange hair and purple suit combo, I think they're trumped by fantastic hat and voodoo, yeah.

Powerleveler
03-31-2009, 01:11 PM
Chapter 3: Bank Robberies and Voodoo Hats!

Mayhem Missions are, hands down, one of the funnest parts of the game. After you've made enough of a name for yourself in a zone by running enough newspaper missions, your Broker will offer you the chance to invade one of Paragon City's zones and rob the bank there.

You start the mission with 15 minutes to rob the bank before you've drawn too much attention from the local heroes. However, if you manage to distract them by blowing up cars, starting fires, breaking other villains out of jail or even just taking out an entire police squad, you get bonus time to continue the mayhem.

This is a big job, it requires a big team. Plus I haven't actually teamed yet, and soloing is getting dull.

Whatever else it's faults, the City of- games have, hands down, the best team-assembling methods in any MMO I've ever played. At any time you can flag yourself as looking for a team, even down to looking for specific tasks. If you only want to do Strike Forces, Patrols, or just missions there's flags for all of those. And the search function lets you find everybody who hasn't /hidden themselves, searchable by archetype, level, zone, etc, then sortable by what they're looking for or even whatever comments they left in the "look for team" window. Throw in the sidekicking/exemplaring system I mentioned earlier and the game really wants to let you team.

So, here we are! Our roster:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-1.jpg
This is the team window. Here you can see the names, health, and stamina (mana for you WoWers) of your entire team. You can also flick open an extra menu that shows you every buff and debuff they have working on them at any given time.

(PS: Do you folks care about discussions of the UI or the back endy stuff like that? I'm leaving the bulk of them out here just because I don't know how much you folks want to hear about them.)

So, with a few fellow felons in hand, let's hit this bank.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-2.jpg
Thank Robot Jesus that one of the corrupters has ice shields and uses them. Now when I explodey the cars it hurts far less. So let's go ahead and explodey some cars. You'll notice that there's a lot more guys than normal rushing to bust us. The game kindly scales up spawn sizes depending on how big your team is so that you aren't bored.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-3.jpg
Soon enough Longbow notices our shenanigans and comes running. Then they go flying.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-4.jpg
We soon run into some local color, then we run over some local color. These guys are no different than the Rogue Isle Police, both in terms of silly weapon choices and susceptibility towards lasers.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-5.jpg
While robots are great, there's few things that compare to having your undead minions puke all over Johnny Law. That chunky green spray used to be his partner!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-6.jpg
We made it! Our shenanigans gave us a bit of bonus time, but we're still looking at only 7 minutes to finish off the heist. There are side missions in mayhems, like kidnappings, arsons and such that give you bonus time, but depending on the team they can actually take up more time than they give, so we're going to skip it this time.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-7.jpg
Annoyingly you can target, but not kill, the random civilians running around the place, so taking out the actual threats is a bit more of a thing than it should be. Happily a quick laser blast or two will send the bystanders running out the door and out of our way. Sadly I left a back up robot outside the door who is powered by civilians. Whoops.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-8.jpg
Further into the bank, time is running short! On teams it takes more effort to distract the authorities, so we're beginning to run up again the timer.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-9.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-10.jpg
Finally, the vault! With this team, the door doesn't even last 10 seconds.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-11.jpg
Assualting cars, cops, mailboxes and police vans doesn't get the attention of a named hero, but blowing up the vault door sure does.

It is shooty time, shooty time, laser laser shoooty tiiiiiime!

NOTE: Turns out it can be very tough to get clear screenshots with 5 people on your team, which is why I'm not focusing on what each teammate is doing, nor can I focus on the boss here.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-12.jpg
Oh look. There's a clear shot.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-13.jpg
And with the hero down, the bank cleaned out, and a fleet of cars blown the hell up we cry the cry of victory! Also, with the loot, I have enough funding to develop a new toy!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-14.jpg
Another great thing about this game is travel powers. Starting at level 6, you open up the Pool Powers, which are general abilities anyone can take. At 14, you can choose from these pools and take a travel power. Superspeed, super jump, flying, or teleportation. So when my old roommate would cry about gold farming for his WoW mount at level goodlord, I'd just giggle and fly off into the sunset.

The year and a half of playtesting that City of Heroes provided showed pretty clearly that a big part of the game had become getting powerleveled to 14 because after you have access to 100 mph runspeed on an alt, it sucks to lose it. So they put in these temporary travel powers as rewards for running mayhem missions and it is fantastic.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-15.jpg
Well the votes were close, haha, but yeah. Lay that fancy gri gri on me.

Powerleveler
03-31-2009, 01:13 PM
Who is Mr. Bocor?

Very little is known about Mr. Bocor. Even his first name is a closely guarded secret, as Bocor understands that names have great power. He's a student of power in general. As a Vodoun priest, Bocor came to Port Oakes eager to learn the secrets of the mysterious ghosts that haunt its shores. But he's not immune to the call of more earthly power, such as that wielded by the Family. Which makes him a dangerous adversary, or a powerful ally. Also he has a wonderful hat.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg It is an honor to meet you. I am Mr. Bocor. You will call me Mr. Bocor. As long as we maintain a healthy respect for one another, we should be able to work toward our mutual benefit.

Certain recent actions by a group known as the Legacy Chain have caused me aggravation. They believed that I possessed something that they construed as 'evil,' and so liberated it from my possession. Said item is near and dear to my heart and so I would like a talented soul to get it back for me. Retrieve the Loa Bone from the Legacy Chain and bring it back to me.

If you find the Loa Bone, by all means, give it a try. It'll be sure to raise your spirits!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg As the hat commands!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-16.jpg

A new enemy group! Let's learn more about them together, shall we?

Considered by some to be overly zealous, the Legacy Chain is perhaps the most secretive of all hero groups. Driven by an undying faith in the sanctity of magic, they willingly sacrifice their lives in their struggle against the dark arts and their struggle against their dad totally telling them what to do all the time gawd I'm like almost 18 already.

The Legacy are divided into groups within the Order based upon their talents. The Brotherhood of Steel are masters of armed combat as well as PvP Elite on the Blackrock server. Masters of fire are called Infernos of Flame, those who control energy are Radiants of Light, and those who control a car are suddenly unreachable by phone which is lame because there's a new M:tG expansion coming out this weekend and Phil totally said he'd drive me to the mall and my mom offered but how lame is that she always makes me go with her to Lane Bryant and I'm like GOD mom I'm a TEENAGER now.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-17.jpg
While I can appreciate the attention to a theme, it is the 21st century, and swords, even magical ones, just don't cut it. god i am so funny today

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-18.jpg
This guy, however, is horribly effective, and the AoEs that start getting thrown in my direction actually manage to take out one of my bots.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-19.jpg
Happily I manage to resummon my fallen droid and my three lasers are better than his one.

This mission also awarded me a badge! Badges are basically what you would call Achievements if we were playing on an XBox. There's several ways to earn them. Some, like this one called the Bone Collector Badge, are earned when your character completes certain missions. Some of them are simply hidden in out of the way places, and all you need to do is walk over the badge to claim it. There are badges for defeating X numbers of certain enemies, badges for taking damage, for earning infamy (the in-game currency) or for being defeated a certain amount. There's even badges you get for earning enough badges.

If you manage to collect a certain cet of badges, you'll also be awarded an Accolade. These can permanantly increase your life or endurance totals, or give you access to special powers.

Finally, once you earn a badge, you can select that badge as a title that shows up under your name when another PC looks at you. So for now I am Doctor Spite: Bone Collector.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Most excellent. Let me awaken the spirits within the Loa Bone... there! Take the Loa Bone for yourself - it will return to me when you are done with it. I'm beginning to like you Dr. Spite. You know how to get the job done.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg I...I'm so happy.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Dr. Spite, I have need of an expedient mechanic to carry out a bit of work for me. There's a book which I have an interest in. Or really, there's a spell on a book that interests me. You see, Gadzul Oil, the owners of the oil-leaking refinery on the coast, had a long running deal with the late and lamented old man Marcone to continue their operations without any trouble.

Now that he's dead and the Family are fighting amongst themselves, the Gadzul Oil corporation has been trying to renegotiate a workable deal with one side or the other. Right now they're trying to make a deal with Emil Marcone and have sent him a little gift as a sign of goodwill: a rare book dealing with the history of the Island.

This is all unremarkable except for one thing: The book is enspelled. It makes the possessor more... pliable to those who know the right kinds of magics. If this were revealed, Gadzul would find themselves in a great deal of difficulty. And if that book were in my possession, they would have to pay a great deal indeed to avoid it being revealed. All I need is an expedient person of exceptional ability to get the book for me, in exchange for a good amount of money. Now, where could I locate such a person?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg OOOH! OOOOOH! ME ME ME!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Glad I don't have to spell it out for you. You'll need to get the book, of course, and I'd also like you to curb the enthusiasm of Emil's guards in a permanent manner. We can't have them talking, it might draw unwanted attention. Proper blackmail must rely on some anonymity. Oh, and I hate to keep you any longer, but there is one last matter you should be aware of: There's a rumor that some gang from Paragon City called 'The Hellions' might be interested in that book as well. Keep an eye out for them. If they cause you trouble, curb their enthusiasms as well.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-20.jpg
While the mafia in this town does have a certain sense of style, their hats are pretty lame compared to Mr. Bocors. And thus do they fall, easy prey to my little henchbots.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-21.jpg
Bocor was right, the Hellions did hear about the book. But the Will of Bocor shall not be denied, not by man nor non-denominational satanist.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-22.jpg
I find the safe, but there's no book! Instead I find a clue:
A letter from Gadzul Oil
This letter is written on the stationery of the Gadzul Oil Corporation. It details the history of the book Gadzul Oil presented Emil Marcone. The book was called 'The Journal of Padre Gerard Henri', and it detailed some fantastic events and adventures of Padre Henri in the Rogue Isles back in the 1600s. The letter stresses the book's rarity, age, and value, and makes a big point about how it is meant as a sign of respect for Emil and his family.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Well, this is a fine how-do-you-do. Here I had my dark heart set on all of that blackmail money, and now those Hellions have spoilt it. I am placing you on retainer until this matter is concluded. I want that book, and I will gladly have you hurt whoever you need to in order to obtain it for me.

Powerleveler
03-31-2009, 01:15 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg I am an expert in gladly hurting people, lead the way!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg I still want that book for my blackmail, and now that I've had time to contemplate its absence I've thought of numerous other vile schemes and wicked deeds I can use it to perform. Therefore, I am still willing to pay you to get it for me. Now, forewarned is forearmed and all, so I had some information gathered. It would seem that these Hellions are from Paragon City, where they're at the very bottom of the food chain. They're demon worshippers, and are always looking for something that will give them an edge. Oh, and they really like fire.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg Also Lamb of God, one of them hooked it up to the PA system and it was horrible.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg What I could not find out was what they're doing out here in Port Oakes, but they've been seen around the docks near the wreck of the Cairo Queen. No one knows why. I would suggest you start by thrashing a few of these pyromaniacal misfits to find their leaders, then applying force to said leaders while getting the book.

The Hellions should be around the docks facing the wreck of the Cairo Queen. If you do pry any information from the ruffians, jump on it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-23.jpg
More specifically, a parking garage near the Cairo Queen. These guys didn't know where the book was, but after lasering their heads open, one of them said his buddies hanging out at a nearby warehouse might know.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-24.jpg
Death 999 here decides to put the fear of himself into these guys with a little wire-fu. One bout of Crouching Robot, Giant Laser later and we've got ourselves a talker.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-25.jpg Padre Henri's Journal? Yeah, we couldn't believe our luck! That book's our ticket to the big time. Even now we got a guy getting ready for a big ritual. Once Duke Mordrogar deciphers it, the Hellions will be on top!

A bit more Bocor-inspired persuasion and we have ourselves an address. And the pressing need for a hutch to store my burgeoning shrunken-head collection.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-26.jpg
Welp, looks like Mr. Bocor was right, you got yourselves an infestation of LARPers. You'll want to get these little guys out of here before they make nests, once they set down their Linkin Park posters and bags of Doritos, well then they are just the worst to get out.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-27.jpg
And these are the bastards who upset Mr. Bocor. That will not stand no sir not one bit it won't!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-28.jpg
Huh. Something here seems...different from the rest of the decor, somehow.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-29.jpg
Gimme.

CURSES! Still no book! But we did find more clues!
Notes on the Journal and the Ritual
These notes are written by the self styled 'Duke Mordrogar' in a crazed, looping hand, and ramble endlessly about the Journal of Padre Hardi. The journal talks about the incredible stroke of luck that it happened to fall into their hands so soon after they were hired to come to the Island. The 'Duke' seems obsessed with the book, and vows to keep it on his person always.

These notes are written in a crazed, looping hand. They talk about ancient horrors sealed beneath the island, and about contacting their dreadful servitors to gain power and free the beast. There are some notes about where a ritual to summon the servitor would need to take place. That should be enough to lead you to Mordrogar and the book.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Still no book? And now the Legacy Chain have involved themselves due to the bumbling of those Hellion fools no doubt. Well, well, well. Perhaps this 'Duke Mordrogar' character is a good lead. You may not have found him, but you've found out where he's planning that little ritual.

Which is another disturbing point. I'll look over the notes you gathered and see if the Hellions were really onto something, or are just deluded fools who were unfortunate enough to get in your way. I admit that I find the latter concept ironically delicious, but you never can be too sure in this line of work. There's too much synchronicity. For example, I discovered that the Hellions were hired to come out here. A firm based in Egypt hired them to set fires in the area. Note that Gadzul Oil is also based in Egypt. All very curious, but perhaps meaningless. Perhaps not.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-30.jpg
Vitamin E does not improve the joints, it dislodges internal organs to make room for demonic possession.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Before you go to get the book that has already cost me 3 times your fee to acquire, you should be aware of something. I've looked into this 'Duke' Mordrogar's little ritual, and with the information in Padre Henri's journal, I'm astonished to discover that it just might work. Clearly, this connot be allowed. Not only have the Hellions and this Duke Mordrogar inconvenienced my dreadful schemes, but they've dragged the Legacy Chain into this and might actually profit by it. So, I want them all crushed utterly. Take the book from this Mordrogar, by force preferably. Destroy any opposition from those Legacy Chain gate crashers; and smash any survivors into the ittiest of bittiest of pieces. I'm certain you can handle it, and you will be well paid as always. If you wish to bring some of your fellow black masks and rogues along, please do. Why, I'd even recommend it. I'll pay their fees as well, of course.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg Hmm. Who do I know who is up for a quick buck...oh yes. I have a few names.

Powerleveler
03-31-2009, 01:16 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg According to that 'Duke Mordrogar' character's notes, they're going to try their ritual in some natural caves in the area. The book should be there, no doubt on Mordrogar's person. Recover it from him, or from his body, however it all takes place I don't care. And don't forget to threaten, coerce, or bribe any allies you might need. I can afford them, if they pull their weight.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-31.jpg
A few phone calls to a few old "friends" and the bank job team is back together. The newly dubbed Mr. Bocor Apprecitation Society takes little time in harming those who have so wronged our dear Mr. Bocor.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-32.jpg
As a side note, ice armor is just adorable on these guys. Lookit their little helmets!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-33.jpg
I'm starting to wonder why we don't just let the LARPers have the book, then have Mr. Bocor work his thing on them. Upon further reflection, I realize that within 10 minutes three of them will be covered in glitter and scrawling "ME + EDWARD 4EVA" in the front cover. I can see how that would disuade Mr. Bocor a bit.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-34.jpg
Further into the caves, we find the good Duke, head all aflame, waiting for the Wrath of an Angry Bocor to fall upon him. And fall it does. Then he gets chatty.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-35.jpg I understand now. This was all arranged. Our hiring, Gadzul, the fires, Bocor and his blackmail, even you stopping us. It's a connection, that's what they wanted! I see it all now! I have seen the great circuit!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg The book, the book, where's the book?!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-35.jpgThe shape of the oil sees only the truth! It is the struggle! The circuit, the connection, it is all the blood of the black stream!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg Not here. Let's ignore Dukey (hee) Rambles and continue. We already took out their boss, the rest of these guys aren't really a 'deal' anymore.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-36.jpg
W...well then. That is a bit of a deal, isn't it.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-37.jpg
Still, this team is pretty fantastic. The worst that happens is a zombie that got stuck in a lavaflow. Finally, we have the book!
Journal of Padre Henri
This old handwritten book is the personal journal of Padre Henri, a Jesuit priest who came to the Rogue Isles hundreds of years ago. There are lots of notes about the land and people he met there, and then the entries start to become strange, talking about a great battle on the mountain and sealing a demon away. One thing that sticks out to you is that the first few entries start right after Padre Henri left Egypt after getting some clue about the island from a mysterious source there.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Ah, the book. And I trust that you made sure everyone else involved in opposition to us has been duly censured through extreme violence? Excellent. Well, it took some time and quite a bit more expense on your fees, but it was all worth it. Where to begin? Blackmail first, or corruption? Corruption or blackmail? Ah, these are decisions that make this way of life truly satisfying to me. When one is free to pick the evils one truly desires, that is the delight of a wicked life. Thank you again. You've been quite an asset to my vile works and, what's the word... depredations? Yes, depredations works for me.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg Anytime I get to beat up high schoolers is a good time in my book.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg I need your assistance with a matter concerning a friend of mine. A lady friend. Recently, she has been fascinated by the magics of the Circle of Thorns. While I cannot fault her lust for power, I believe in this case she may have underestimated the danger the Circle can pose to one so gentle and trusting as she. I believe she is in great danger. If you would retrieve my lady friend from the Circle of Thorns, I will reward you handsomely. If you cannot manage it, we will no longer be working together, and you will probably be dead. Either way, I will have learned something valuable about you.

See this is why Mr. Bocor is the best.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-38.jpg
Well, the Jawas are new, let's take a gander.

The Circle Of Thorns. A mystical cult founded in the 1890s when a Russian calling himself Baron Zoria arrived in England looking to capitalize on a rising swell of interest in the occult. He quickly established himself as a crazy person's crazy person, and while this did lead to fewer followers, the ones who remained were among the craziest, and thus most devoted. Zoria spent most of his time seeking out the legendary city of Oranbega, a lost city rumored to be home to the greatest sorcerers the world had ever seen.

Blurring the line between 'insane' and 'idiot savant', Zoria did not bother with maps or musty tomes. Instead he studied the necromatic arts in order to contact the spirits of the dead sorcerers directly, hoping they would lead him to their city. Apparently successful, the day after the ceremony, Zoria and his followers emerged with massive new mystical powers.

These guys are already a big step up from the Hellions, having actual little demon followers instead of putting too-small Godzilla costumes on their little brothers. But I did just take out a giant flaming hellbeast, what's the worst this guy can do?

Powerleveler
03-31-2009, 01:18 PM
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-39.jpg
Why do so many attacks in this game involve body horror? Why is that, game? Keep your little demon people's rape-tongues off my robots!

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-40.jpg
Sadly, the trauma of the Tongue was too much for little Spiteborg to handle. I had to hard reboot the poor fellow.

Shaken by the horror, we moved further into the cave.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-41.jpg
Finally, the hostage! But that guy guarding her has a MUCH nicer hat than anyone else we've fought so far. Going off the villainious hat-scale, this encounter is running around a 7. This could suck.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-42.jpg
And it does. He quickly hits me with a mezz that leaves my brain momentarily scrambled, unable to run or even pull the trigger on my laser wildly.

But he's about to learn that robots don't have brains, much to my advantage.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-43.jpg
And with the Hatmage down, I claim the hostage as my own.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-44.jpg
The remaining wizards do their best to stop me from getting out, but really. King Hat couldn't do much to halt my horrible progression, did they really think they had a chance?

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-45.jpg
And the hostage is delivered to Mr. Bocor's waiting car.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Thank you, my friend. Olivia is safe and sound again. And in time, I believe she will come to cherish her place in my affections. But for now, it's best that you don't mention her to anyone else. I would not want anyone to interfere in my personal affairs.

Have you heard of the heroine who styles herself the Sea Witch? This lovely lass has been causing a lot of trouble with the shipping out of Dockside lately, by convincing the Red Hands and Night Haunts to attack the vessels. And I have certain vested interests in those vessels. Now, we could battle the ghosts themselves; in fact, I have many spells for just that purpose. But I always believe it's better to go after the source. I need you to defeat the Sea Witch. I have put together a little trap for her, now all you must do is snap it shut. Those who would interrupt my dark works must know that Mr. Bocor is always watching.

The brave little heroine has learned that I've been hiding things in between the double-hulls of big freighter ships while they're being repaired in dry dock.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP/Spite.jpg (Don't mention Olivia don't mention Olivia don't mention Olivia)

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg She's rallied her spectral allies, but does not know that we know it is all a trap to catch her. And oh, yes, you heard correctly. I said 'heroine,' not 'vigilante.' We have no need for illusions or euphemisms between us. There are those who fight consistently for the side of right, and they are heroes. And then there are those like us, who know how to turn the powers of the world to our advantage without care for the cost to others, and we are called villains. Personally, I would rather be the latter any day.

See? He is just totally the best! Well picked, you guys.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-46.jpg
Here we are, the Ghost Ship! Spoooooky!

The neat thing about the more 'open' maps like this one is how easy it is to find your target. Which I do, promptly.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-47.jpg My friends, you have done well. Port Oakes' shipping has slowed to a crawl.
So, Dr Spite. Somehow, I thought Bocor might send you.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-48.jpg
At this level, the Seawitch isn't much trouble at all, but depending on who you guys pick for my next contacts, she turns into one of the most horrible characters to fight in the entire game. The fact that you have to do so before level 20 doesn't help things at all.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-49.jpg
But here she goes down quick, and I loot her things, mostly out of spite. See? So funny.

The Sea Witch's Notes
These notes detail the Sea Witch's findings during her month-long campaign against the shipping out of Dockside. According to these notes, Mr. Bocor has his fingers into the Family's Superadine trade, Arachnos' experiments with the ghosts, and every other major operation going on in Port Oakes. He even has ties to several of the Red Hands themselves.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/Bocor.jpg Thank you, my friend. I hope you gave the Sea Witch an experience to remember. With any luck, she will keep her nose out of my business from now on. Otherwise, we may have to again take action.

With heavy heart, I now leave Mr. Bocor. Though I am in his good graces, and he has promised to send word of future work, I am left forever burdened by the fact that I never got to touch his magnificent hat.

NEXT TIME! The Mystery of Port Oakes!

So. I'm already at level 10, about to get into the meat of the game proper, and I'll need some help. This is an MMO, so there's about 20 updates worth of random backgroundy stuff that I could do, but I'm not sure how much of it you guys want to see. So give me a few ideas. Do you like the current "run a contact" approach, would you like to see more zone events, PvP (ahahahah no.) or more information about the games various systems, like crafting, day jobs, or the chargen? More teaming? Less teaming? Are the updates too long? Too short? Let me know what you're looking for, and see you next time.

Lucas
03-31-2009, 02:02 PM
I would love to see more of the mechanics and systems explained.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/narbus/CoVLP3/CoVLP3-26.jpg
Welp, looks like Mr. Bocor was right, you got yourselves an infestation of LARPers. You'll want to get these little guys out of here before they make nests, once they set down their Linkin Park posters and bags of Doritos, well then they are just the worst to get out.

I laughed out loud.