PDA

View Full Version : August RPG: Etrian Odyssey

Parish
08-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Quite a few people asked for the inclusion of RPGs in Fun Club, and I'm all for it... but there is the small matter of RPGs being insanely time-consuming. (And for the most part no damn good, but never mind that.) So! To remedy this issue, we're taking a wider view with RPGs. While most games will be one-week affairs (or occasionally two in the case of more involved titles), RPGs will be featured on a monthly basis. This means (one) people can actually play through them and (two) people who don't have a lot of time can drop in and out of the chats over the course of the month.

So, we're going to start with Etrian Odyssey because it's portable and, well, it's what's in my DS.

----

Currently, I'm at the third floor. This is about as far as I made it when I played the preview build a few months back... except back then I decided to square off against the Stalker in the first room and was promptly humbled. This time I've managed to avoid all the FOEs on floor three... but it's getting to a point where I've just about mapped the whole floor and I'm almost certain I can only dodge the monsters for so much longer.

How can a slow, turn-based RPG with no story to speak of be so heart-rendingly intense?

I think the secret of Etrian's success is that it actually places you in high-stakes situations. You can easily lose to bosses, and save points are nowhere to be found. Hell, you can easily lose to random battles. Every step you take, every encounter you're drawn into, has the potential to be the last. I am pretty sure I won't be finishing this RPG this month, or possibly this year. But I will be enjoying the hell out of it.

So... where are you, and what's your party like? Mine, uh, sucks. Maybe pointers would be good? Yes? Advice?

reibeatall
08-08-2007, 07:59 PM
Man, I suck. I hardly started and kept getting killed by the goddamn Ragelope on the second floor. I'm just going to start over, and this time maybe THINK about my party.

What bit I played, I really enjoyed. What really got me was the narration (gg Nich). Nothing was as simple as "you got jewel!!!", it had a story. Like that boot you find on the first floor. Or the poisonflys.

Also, I've got a soft spot in my heart for games that are really hard, but not impossible.

I'd like some advice too. Should I have a character around just to harvest wood?

Mightyblue
08-08-2007, 08:10 PM
You can. Survivalists get all three gathering techniques, so it's handy to make one your resource bitch and max out their gather skills right away so you can make some easy cash for gear and items.

Phil
08-08-2007, 08:17 PM
I won't pretend to be an Etrian Odyssey expert, but I've made it past the first stratum, so here are some suggestions I have with my play so far:

Don't waste any points on your main characters' gathering skills (Mine/Take/Chop); instead, have a Survivalist who has nothing but those skills. Mine's name is Meulle. Walk 'em around the floors you can now handily beat with your main party for a bit, and they'll gain levels, which you can then use to dump points into those skills.
An excellent starting party is:

Front Row: Landsknecht, Defender
Back Row: Alchemist, Medic, Survivalist

This gives you a nice balance of offensive and defensive characters.
Buffs are key in this game. Speed-ups from Survivalists, attention-draw skills from Defenders, and almost the entire Troubadour repertoire are all really, really useful. Especially in FOE fights.
The water fountain at the bottom-right of the first map restores 10TP per drink at night. Abuse the hell out of this.
If you're wondering what it'll cost you skillwise to get a particular ability that's still greyed out in the Custom menu, pick it; it'll tell you what you need. (I wasted some skill points randomly picking things before I discovered this.)
Pawn crap off on Shilleka as often as possible. Some of her equipment doesn't appear until you've sold an item more times than you think.
FOEs respawn after a few days; you can abuse this by fighting the ones in Level 2 again after you're more powerful. They still net great experience (and have nice drops too), but they'll be much easier.
Don't be afraid to Defend with your weaker party members! I usually spend the first round of a boss battle Defending with my Medic, and only after that round do I venture to have her heal up the party. Defending seriously reduces physical damage.
Did I mention buff spells are really useful? This is one of the reasons that I occasionally cycle my Troubadour through the party, so they're not too far behind the rest of my characters.
Make sure to train the Alchemist in more than one element. They can concentrate on one (probably Fire, from what I've seen), but make sure to give them a few points in at least one of the other two spell sets. This will make fights against fire-resistant enemies much less of a pain in the ass.

I'm totally in love with this game right now. I haven't delved super-far into it (I'm only in the second stratum), but the mix of hard-as-nails gameplay, pretty graphics, and old-school sensibilities has me completely charmed.

Parish
08-08-2007, 08:17 PM
...or you can be an ass like me and create a second party of level one Survivalists with their skill points spent entirely on Gather and spend a few days collecting Mugwort and Red Fruit through the hidden passage by the entrance on B1.

Look, I never said I was proud of myself, OK?

Excitemike
08-08-2007, 08:20 PM
JP, you are reading my mind this week. I'm only on the fifth floor, I'm just grinding before I head for the boss. I've just been grinding, in general. There's a spot on third floor where you can recharge your health, and the FOE's on the fourth floor are wolves which are no big deal.

There's a line in the game text about how defeating your first stalker is like a rite of passage. It's corny, but it really does feel like an accomplishment. Most of the time you grip your DS with white knuckles, but when you overcome something it's exhilirating. Curious how it does that.

reibeatall
08-08-2007, 08:24 PM
...or you can be an ass like me and create a second party of level one Survivalists with their skill points spent entirely on Gather and spend a few days collecting Mugwort and Red Fruit through the hidden passage by the entrance on B1.

With logic like this, you could either be a madman or a genius.

Regardless of which one you are, I really like this idea.

sraymonds
08-08-2007, 08:40 PM
I'm thinking about starting up a new game, since I don't really like my current party. One question though; what's a buff?

reibeatall
08-08-2007, 08:45 PM
A buff is a stat-upping skill. Anything that raises defense, attack, accuracy, ect is considered a buff.

Torgo
08-08-2007, 09:07 PM
Just the mention of this being the rpg for the month finally made me pick this up again. I've bought it on launch day and it's very much been in the vein of 'Play hardcore for a few days, then burn out for a few weeks." I haven't touched it in a month or so though.

I'm currently on B8F. Formation is as follows:

Front Row
Protector
Ostensibly my tank, I mostly have him use Provoke, which doesn't work as well as I might like. Other then that, he deals respectable damage and takes hits better then anyone else.

Landsknecht
Uh, I don't like my warrior guy too much. He deals a little more damage then my protector, but in the end he's not doing much more and he dies a lot easier. I'm expecting his awesomeness to come as I put more points into stuff like ATK Up, DEF Up, and 2-Hit.

Medic
Only my most consistent and highest damage dealer, and that's before she even uses Caduceus, my front row medic rocks. She kinda sucks in actual healing, but that will improve with time.

Back Row
Survivalist
My buffer, de-buffer, and item user, my Survivalist is pretty much essential because she almost always gets that essential first move in. I'm currently working on getting her to learn Stalker, because the random encounters sometimes get a little annoying, especially while attempting to gather resources.

Medic
My main healer. Can't take hits and runs out of TP way too fast. Currently working to remedy that.

Overall I'm very pleased with how the setup works. I'm probably going to cry when I finally face something that I absolutely need elemental damage to defeat, though.

Having extra survivalists for resource gathering is hardly a cheap tactic. Considering how essential it is to getting new products to purchase and how scarce money is without doing so, I'd say it's encouraged. (And Nich practically says it's okay over at the game's website, so I'm not going to feel bad.)

This is definitely one of the best games to hit the DS this year. I put down Pokemon in favor of this, and I've yet to return to it.

(Bonus awesome points: I named my medics 'Derek' and 'Angie' without even knowing about the Trauma Center references and cameo.)

nathan
08-08-2007, 09:19 PM
Just a quick little note... I've been playing this off and on for about three months now, and I'm at the 9th floor. I can't wait to pick it up again after I get my fill of Picross.

This game has so many infinite play possibilites that reading comments on this board the past couple months makes me antsy to start it again with a totally different party. And I can honestly say it's one of the best games I have played in a few years. I think Parish summed it up nicely that there is a certain dynamic that makes this game compelling in a way that most RPG's with a ton of story can't even come close to.

Happy FOE hunting, all.

nathan
08-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Don't be afraid to Defend with your weaker party members!
This really is key. I always make sure I buy the newest and best armor for my medic first and then just have him defend in every battle. Plus I maxed out his skill that refreshes HP after every battle. Sure, it's one less attack but it really does make a difference in some FOE battles and it makes the necessary grinding a little less cumbersome.

Phil
08-08-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking about starting up a new game, since I don't really like my current party. One question though; what's a buff?

People have already answered this question, but, I say: don't start up a new game. There's no reason, as far as I can tell, to not just generate new characters and toss 'em in with the ones you want to keep. The maps you've already made and the quests you've already completed are all Good Things. Don't throw them away.

One of the fun things to do in this game is run a level 1 character down to the bottom of the first stratum (or later ones, I bet; I just haven't done that yet) and watching their levels skyrocket as you maul all of the baddies. So a good idea is to take your new schlubs out one or two at a time with your more powerful folks and get them up to snuff before cycling to a full "new" party.

dussssstin
08-08-2007, 10:10 PM
I recently deleted my old save so I suppose it's a new slate for me.

reibeatall
08-08-2007, 10:17 PM
People have already answered this question, but, I say: don't start up a new game. There's no reason, as far as I can tell, to not just generate new characters and toss 'em in with the ones you want to keep. The maps you've already made and the quests you've already completed are all Good Things. Don't throw them away.

One of the fun things to do in this game is run a level 1 character down to the bottom of the first stratum (or later ones, I bet; I just haven't done that yet) and watching their levels skyrocket as you maul all of the baddies. So a good idea is to take your new schlubs out one or two at a time with your more powerful folks and get them up to snuff before cycling to a full "new" party.

I was only on Floor 2, so it wasn't a huge loss for me.

poetfox
08-08-2007, 10:21 PM
You know, I feel better now, knowing that few people are farther than I got when I put it down. Last I played, I beat Fenrir on the Fifth floor, but his minions that kept joining the battle finished me off, and I haven't picked it up since.

I don't claim to be an expert, but my random party is...

Front Row:
Protector, Protector. One I focused on their meager heals and one I focused on the taunting and other such useful things (with just enough points to do the basic heal). They just sorta stand there and cast healing spells and sometimes attack, really.

Back Row:
Survivalist, Alchemist, Troubadour. My basic idea was to try to make a party without a Medic for whatever reason, and it's working decently for the little I've played, though it may not work in the long run. I've been putting all my points into my Troubadour's HP regen song and Defense song, and it's been working fairly well, though not quite as well as I'd hoped, but I'm going to keep at it. My Alchemist is all fire at the moment, and I got her that skill where she regens a couple TP every turn so I can use her cheapest spells as normal attacks without feeling bad. Survivalist is doing the money-making thing along with that one accuracy down debuff and Bow skill to try to make her deal worthwhile damage. I'm not sure if that last part is working.

Mmm, I might have to get back into it, if we're all doing it here. It's a lot harder than games I normally play (but then again, I don't play a whole lot of these sorts of old school dungeon crawls), but it never really frustrated me. It didn't feel unfair. Just hard.

...actually, you know what? I'm going to go hop into bed and do another grinding trip right now. Well, if I can find the cart, of course.

Alex
08-09-2007, 12:42 AM
So far (4th floor down, comfortably) my Alchemist has been taking anything and everything down with Poison. I've only developed that and fire for some reason, but she's able to one-hit that fire resistant shell monster on level 5.

I haven't really bothered with item points, aside from maybe one or two points. Money has been a little short, but if I'm more careful about not dying, I don't really need that much at once anyways.

Oh, here's a helpful hint I should have thought of from the start: you only need to buy one warp wire at a time.

I honestly did not foresee this game capturing my imagination like it has.

Torgo
08-09-2007, 01:00 AM
Oh, here's a helpful hint I should have thought of from the start: you only need to buy one warp wire at a time.
Please, please, please take it from someone who knows: Buy two, just in case it slips your memory on a stop back in town.

I'm currently doing a nasty little survival mission: I have to remain on floor B8F for five days. I didn't exactly think this through; While surviving itself isn't a problem here, that means tromping step by step through in-game days, which are much longer without stops at the inn to speed them up. So this means awhile without saving, and unless I just put my nose to the grindstone and get it done, it looks like my DS is going to become my Etrian machine for a couple of days.

The exp is rockin' though.

Daydreamer
08-09-2007, 01:10 AM
I got to Level 50! And Floor 20! And then my copy got stolen!

God does not want me to finish EO

Torgo
08-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Well I'm through a little more then a day of my little jaunt.

What did everyone name their guild? I named mine 'Harshers'.

joffeorama
08-09-2007, 02:08 AM
I named my guild Cadmus because NERD! If there's one thing this game does perfect, its the sense of accomplishment. I felt like a god damn king when I killed my first Ragealope. I'm stuck on the third floor right now with my pretty mundane party of Front: Landsknecht, Dark Hunter, Protector and back: Alchemist, Medic. The Dark Hunter doesn't seem to get much love, but I found the whip skills to be perfect for taking down FOEs. She binds them while my Alchemist poisons them. Poison does a surprising amount of damage in this game.

Lakupo
08-09-2007, 02:51 AM
I got this game a month ago, played for a week (getting to BF3, I think), then went on a trip, didn't get a chance to play while on the trip, and haven't really gotten into it since I've been home. And you think I'll be playing this grind-fest a week from now? ;p Oh well.

My party was the usual: Landshark (focusing on Two-Hits), Paladin, Medic, Alchemist (Fire and Poison -- Poison is excellent and has saved me from many FOEs), and at first a Survivalist, but now he tends to lead a team of other survivalists to go foraging, and his slot went to a Dark Hunter, and now a Troubadour, but Divinity is a long ways off, so the Survivalist is probably coming back. Perhaps another Alchemist is in order, specializing in different elements. (it's pretty obvious that the key to development is SPECIALIZATION. There just aren't enough levels to power up every ability)

I named my guild "Vagrants", but I didn't know how it would be displayed in the game, so I get weird syntax like "Hey, it's Vagrants." all the time.

jovewolf
08-09-2007, 09:04 AM
This'll give me a good excuse to dig out Etrian again, at least until Persona 3 gets released - I've been meaning to give it some time, but for some reason I always get distracted.

I also had the basic party of Protector, Landskneckt, Alchemist, Medic, and Survivalist, but I'm looking to try out a new party so some of the suggestions here should be good.

ScrambledGregs
08-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Reading through this thread, about a hardcore dungeon hack first person RPG I had no interest in, has made me want to go before work today and pick this up. I think there's something to be said for not playing through a game in a vacuum and having an intelligent community to discuss and share tips with. Plus, outside of Parish's posts, I hadn't heard much of anything about it because it didn't get the same level of hype and discussion as, say, Odin Sphere.

Traumadore
08-09-2007, 10:06 AM
Progress: B4F

For a bizarre DPS party I use two Fighters, a Protector, Troubadore, and rotate a Suvivalist or Alchemist depending on the floor's monsters. It works best with the Survivalist speed buff, but sometimes you just need the elemental damage, and my fighters haven't learned their techniques yet.

Meg
08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
I can't avoid commenting a bit on Etrian Odyssey. I beat the main game, but I've been distracted from completing the post-game content; I hope this topic will spur me into finishing it!

I went through three quarters of the game with the useful Landsknecht-Defender-Survivalist-Alchemist-Medic party. I stupidly spread the gathering skills among all the characters, but the party still turned out fine, so I don't think the game punishes you too much for playing loose with the skill points.

Anyway, I found TP Regen useful for the Alchemist later in the game, especially when you reach the point that depleted TP is the only thing forcing you back to town (or to a spring). Also, the Troubador's Erasure skill become really helpful when you start running into the odd FOE that knows Regen. There's nothing worse than running out of TP, healing items, being unable to run away, the front-row party members slowing being killed, and then watching the FOE cast Regen, undoing all your work right before you're slaughtered.

Thraeg
08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
This is a great choice to kick off the RPG fun club.

I've been gradually making progress through this game since it launched, and am currently on B17, with characters around level 40 (except my medic is higher because he never leaves the party). My strategy has been to have at least one character of each class, and just keep rotating them in and out of the party to keep them all around the same level. It's worked out fairly well so far, as the extra versatility of being able to use the right mix of characters for any given situation has made up for being behind on levels. I've also made moderate use of gathering parties to grab items from the points near the entrance and warp points, so I've been OK on money for the most part (I've got about 40K and most equipment is around 6K at this point, except for one insane weapon I just unlocked that has more than double the attack of the next best and costs 100K).

They did a good job making the classes all interesting and useful -- the only complete disappointment so far was my sword-based dark hunter, whose skills just didn't do much damage and didn't trigger their special effects nearly often enough even when maxed out. My only complaint is the vagueness of the skill descriptions (making it hard to make informed choices), and the way that only rank 1, 5, and 10 give large, noticeable improvements (a gradual curve would have been nicer).

It really is amazing how such a methodical turn-based game manages to be so tense and gripping. Getting a little bit deeper into the dungeon with every trip is just so addictive, and the mapping element is a stroke of genius -- it's just so satisfying to complete a floor's map.

poetfox
08-09-2007, 10:17 AM
I beat Fenrir! It's amazing how using actual strategy makes such battles go easier. (I took out all the minions I could reach, then lured him to a corner so his minions would have a long way to walk to join the battle.)
It was exciting. Now onward to the second whatever!

bobservo
08-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I've been playing this since May, and I'm stuck on the first floor with conveyor belts. The mapping feature is distinctly lacking a way to map these, so it's pretty frustrating.

Mightyblue
08-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Put an Event tile down where the conveyor starts with a Note tag that says conveyor.

Thraeg
08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
I've been playing this since May, and I'm stuck on the first floor with conveyor belts. The mapping feature is distinctly lacking a way to map these, so it's pretty frustrating.

Oh, yeah, that got annoying really quickly. The mapping tileset really needs directional arrows or something. I wound up using the E symbol to show the start of each belt and then a string of Warp Point symbols for the rest of the length. That worked out pretty well, except that after mapping most of the floor, I hit the cap on allowed symbols, and the game wouldn't let me place any more. After exploring the rest of the floor, I wound up cleaning up everything except for the path to the item point and the path to the stairs down.

Send me a private message if you want help with the path to the exit.

Balrog
08-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Put an Event tile down where the conveyor starts with a Note tag that says conveyor.

This sounds like the funnest game ever, I wish I didn't ship it back to gamefly the same day I got it.

Parish
08-09-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm glad you could contribute such useful information to this thread!!

Alex
08-09-2007, 12:34 PM
Nich you are awesome.

Meg
08-09-2007, 12:59 PM
If you're on the post-game content, eventually you'll be facing the dragons, so I'll give you a tip I'm not sure many people know about. The B30F dragons have insanely nasty breath attacks that do elemental damage along with a status effect. Now, the Protector's Anti-* skills have three effects depending on what level they're on: from level 1-4, they resist elemental damage, at level 5 they null it completely, and from level 6 on they drain the damage to heal you.

Here's the thing. There's a little-known bug where from 1-4 and 6-10, even if you resist or drain the HP damage from these breath attacks, you'll still get stuck with the status ailment. But if the skill is at level 5, the game doesn't consider the attack to have hit you at all, and you block both the damage and the effect. Useful, huh?
Wow, that is useful! I was about to rest my Protector anyway, since I've hit the level 70 cap and I completely ignored the Anti-* skills. I've explored all of B26 (and all the maddening warp-points) without finding the next floor, so this will give me time to reset him, rework his skills again (never saw En Garde work once, even at level 7, so I'm ignoring it this time), and find that hidden stairway, wherever it is! Thank you, Nich!

Octopus Prime
08-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm done to about B10F, using my mighty team of Landsknecht, Dark Hunter and Medic, Alchemist (Fire and Poison ftw) and Survivalist.

So far, with the exception of that Uber Dragon on B8F, I've been having a relatively easy time with the FOEs I've come across so far.

No doubt something mighty and ferocious is right around the corner that will kill my ass dead.

dwolfe
08-09-2007, 04:13 PM
Great names, Nich. I'm going old-school 8-bit names: Protecto, Landsken, Medic, Alchemis, and Survivor (although I was tempted to make him Survivo for fun).

Currently low 30s and only on F12. I have Trobaduo (guess what class he is) as an Exp machine. Under level 30 and maxed out Destiny (or whatever trait maxes out EXP gain) who sits in the party most days being dead weight but also not slowing down anyone else's EXP gain. I hope he'll pay off later on, especially when I respec him as a support class.

My medic lives in the front row and does as much damage as my protector or survivor (depending on enemy...some seem resistant to types of weapons) despite only having one point in Atk Up.

Glad to see someone else raising one character per class, but my Dark Hunter sits at home sad and lonely, doesn't seem useful so far.

Classic
08-09-2007, 04:30 PM
So, I've got an alchemist providing all of my elemental support for the party. Unfortunately, now that I've maxed out TP Up and gotten him TP regen to make him able to cast at least every fourth round, I have no idea how I want to specialize him.

He's got a rank in every base combat spell, a rank in warp, scavange, and TP Up. Any suggestions on what to do with his 15 skill points?

I've got a party consisting of a survivalist, who has quickly become a consistent damage dealer. However, I have decided not to build him for debuffs, what with lacking a dark hunter to make a debuff strategy truly crippling. He's got a solid buff in speed up, as well as useful map-skills. No real gathering skills though.

There's a medic, with a useless point in post-battle recovery. One rank in TP regen, and a salve spell that has replaced her standard healing spell. A full-on healer. Probably will branch out into the bashing-skulls part of being a medic.

There's a protector with strong physical defenses. She's mostly become a defense buffer. Occasionally, I'll suss an attack pattern and she'll block with her mediocre blocking skills. I've since given her the passive defense skill, thinking of maxing it out, in spite of caution to the contrary.

The Lanskneckt I've got. Low TP, building passive skills. Has 2Hit maxed. Destroys bosses in five rounds with the appropriate elemental buff. Currently using swords, though she isn't specialized either way due to pursuing 2Hit.

How do you guys read it?

Thraeg
08-09-2007, 04:40 PM
Glad to see someone else raising one character per class, but my Dark Hunter sits at home sad and lonely, doesn't seem useful so far.

I wound up retiring my sword-based Dark Hunter, but I have one using a whip that's situationally very useful. So far, she's maxed out the abilities to bind the opponent's head and arms, and they have been very valuable against FOEs that have especially devastating special attacks. Just bind the appropriate body part, and not only do they not get to do the attack, but they waste their turn whenever they try.

As for naming, the whole concept of trekking through a forest hunting down scary creatures put me in mind of Lewis Carroll's nonsense poem, Jabberwocky, so I picked words out of that to use as names.

Landsknecht: Callooh
Protector: Callay
Dark Hunter: Momerath
Troubadour: Jubjub
Survivalist: Gallumph
Medic: Mimsy
Alchemist (Fire & Lightning): Gyre
Alchemist (Poison & Ice): Gymbal
Ronin: Brillig
Hexer: Boojum

ScrambledGregs
08-09-2007, 07:03 PM
Ordered this, Mario Kart DS, and the first four Penny Arcade collections off Amazon today. Can't wait to play this game in like a week and a half when all of you are on to some other game!! Whee!!

Fer
08-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Every time I restart I spend around 30 minutes trying to think of suitable names, so I wish they included suggested names like in Final Fantasy Tactics.

Mightyblue
08-09-2007, 07:25 PM
With games that ask you to name people I tend to go with anime names and try to fit the character into the class. This time around it's Full Metal Panic.

Fer
08-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I end up using pet names: Bingo, Fido, etc.

dwolfe
08-09-2007, 09:35 PM
Nich: How about Bashy, Stabby or some at least mildly amusing generic names? I have to admit, I left them with default class names as their names specifically because I change up the party every single time I go back into town.

Mightyblue: which classes got which FMP names? And based on the original or Fumoffu characterizations? Oh, damn, the latter was funny.

Except now I want multiples of some classes. My Land. is doing double the damage of anyone else, and that's before his maxed out double attack. And he only has two points in Atk Up still.

Still not seeing the point of the protector, as my medic hits as hard as he does, heals better, and immunize works as well as defender. maybe the anti-<foo> at level 5 would help, but only found one F.O.E. that attacks elemental. Cold. When I have fire and volt built up so far, but not cold. Doh! Anyone with a reason why I should keep him around?

Mightyblue
08-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm going with the original and TSR names, though the only real protagonist added in TSR was Grouseax, and Leonard's not really on the good team. ^_-

Landsknecht: Grouseax
Protector: McAllen
Dark Hunter: Mao
Survivalist: Kurz
Alchemist: Kalinin
Medic: Tessa
Troubadour: Kaname
Ronin: Sousuke
Hexer: Leonard

Actually, I never watched the entirety of Fumoffu, since I own the entire manga series, and didn't feel like buying the DVDs for what are essentially extras. I did enjoy what I watched though.

cortbassist89
08-09-2007, 10:08 PM
I just read the wikipedia article on this game. I MUST have it.

Maybe I can sell some old Pokemon memorabilia to this store I've seen sell em for 20 bucks each.

Glad I didn't throw away those gold plated pokemon cards now.

Torgo
08-10-2007, 01:28 AM
Finally finished trudging through that survival quest. What a grind, but ultimately a satisfying one nonetheless.

The five or so levels for everyone involved helped. I feel much more prepared to tackle whatever awaits me next.

Lakupo
08-10-2007, 02:13 AM
Indulge me in this one thing, here if nowhere else on the Internet: please don't call them Landsharks.
Oops. Faux pas! I actually like "Landsknecht", I just also like the term "Landshark" (whether refering to Landsknechts or not). I'll do my part to keep this forum a landshark free zone. ...at least until I get around to playing Blue Dragon.

I tend to go a little nuts coming up with a bunch of random names (I spent way too long trying to come up with a guild name... the one I wanted was one letter too long), but I've tried not to go nuts naming my party. Mostly just messing around with letter combinations until something clicks. Classic fantasy naming!
Land: Brisbane; Pal: Ofelia; Medic: Harold (this was easy, it was my FFT chemist's name); Alch: Azalea; Surv: Foley; Trou: Fredrick; Dark: Ghideon; Foley's band of foragers: Aurene, Drifadou, Scray, Poule (I went full-on gibberish with them :D ) I'll figure out the Ronin and Hexer names when I get to them, most likely.

Maybe I'll make some real progress soon so I'll have something meaningful to post here.

dwolfe
08-10-2007, 07:26 AM
Mightyblue: Fumoffu was probably the single funniest series of anime I have ever watched. It's worth renting. And it helps that you know the characters from the serious series. I know it's just manga extras, but it's still good.

So I had my first encounter with the F12 boss. Ouch. That was painful. Unlike the F5 boss, you can't manage the adds. I need to sit down and think about this battle.

Also, I hate the soldiers on F11. They are there to "help" you map the floor but their maps are WRONG. I missed deleting a single line of their maps (I delete them immediately) and missed almost half the freaking floor. I wish you could just kill them instead.

Dark Hunter binding abilities sound neat, but how do you know which of the three bindings to use on each enemy. Just trial-and-error?

ScrambledGregs
08-10-2007, 07:37 AM
Oops. Faux pas! I actually like "Landsknecht", I just also like the term "Landshark" (whether refering to Landsknechts or not).

Street Sharks??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Streetsharks.jpg

bobservo
08-10-2007, 07:47 AM
Here's the thing. There's a little-known bug where from 1-4 and 6-10, even if you resist or drain the HP damage from these breath attacks, you'll still get stuck with the status ailment. But if the skill is at level 5, the game doesn't consider the attack to have hit you at all, and you block both the damage and the effect. Useful, huh?

Thanks! I was planning on leveling up his Anti skills all the way, but this will be much better and give me more skill points to boot.

Rev. Ragu
08-10-2007, 12:05 PM
I've been infatuated with this game for the past few months. Between this, FF3 and Izuna, the DS is becoming a fantastic platform for RPGs that I can't just sleepwalk through. I've been hearing some rumours (possibly totally unsubstantiated) that Shiren the Wanderer might even be making its way over here, which would just be total masochistic bliss for me. I'm tired of plot and characters, bring on the brutality and violation from every angle.

My only major problem so far has been that the experience curve doesn't allow for new characters to catch up nearly fast enough, and I spent a grueling week grinding on B13F to get my new Ronin up to a survivable level to face the Royalant. For all the fantastic design in the game, picking up and updating and smoothing over the rough patches where Wizardry and its kin left off, I really wish they would have applied some of that "new school fairness" to the tedious grinding. On that note, that one "spend five days in B8F" quest was pretty torturous, not for the difficulty (which is more Mystryss Darkthornes Sex Dungeon than Abu Ghraib) but for the incredible dullness. Walk three steps back and forth for five game days, or spend even longer fighting incidental enemies during that time? Lame.

My way of dealing with the conveyors on B16F was to place an event tile at entrances, and wall off the terminus. Since real walls are always at least one tile apart, you won't get the conveyor exits mixed up with real walls. Noting the conveyors and their direction would be helpful, but unfortunately you're even more limited in the number of available notes than you are special tiles.

B18F here, just about to make my way into the second part of the floor. Navigating that floor was fun. At this point, it almost feels as if I've finally bent this game over and that my party is an unstoppable force of nature, but I'm sure I'm going to be corrected fairly soon.

nathan
08-10-2007, 12:23 PM
Finally finished trudging through that survival quest. What a grind, but ultimately a satisfying one nonetheless.
Is that the one where you have to stay on one floor for five days? Man, my heart just isn't in that one.

Does anyone have an estimate on how long that takes? Maybe I can do it casually while watching a baseball game or at a bar or something.

Deets
08-10-2007, 05:57 PM
I just walked back and forth in the area near the spring, as there are no encounters there. I read through 3 chapters of a novel I was reading while doing this, so... about 30 minutes?

The item you get isn't worth it and there's no other good reason to bother outside of completion OCD or something, so I tell people not to bother with the quest.

Anyway, I had made it down to B29F when a friend of mine somehow fired the SD card in my R4 out of the window of my car while screwing around with my DS. The save file on my actual copy of the game (before I sent the save file over to my computer to transfer onto my sd card) is somewhere on B24F, so I'm probably never going to finish the postgame, haha.

Oh, I never bothered putting anything special down to tell me where conveyors were. It was easy enough to tell where to go when I didn't bother drawing walls around the areas that send you back to the entrance.

Octopus Prime
08-10-2007, 06:24 PM
Managed to get down to the third Strata, and, as I predicted, the difficulty spiked again.

Crazy giant turtle FOE thing nearly killed me dead!

Parish
08-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Alright, so: After seeing everyone's advice here, I decided to add a Troubadour (Ellysia) to my party to replace my Survivalist (Rose). I'm not really finding a lot of use for Survivalists, aside from foraging missions -- their main advantage is the ability to wield a bow, but Troubadours can do that, too. And Troubadours are actually superior at buffing. So, farewell, Rose.

So, to train up Ellysia I slotted her into the back row between my Medic (Toasty) and Alchemist (Alpha) and headed down to 2F to fight the FOEs there, all three of which had respawned. The two Ragelopes went down easily, but I had to push my luck and take on the Kyuwhatsit, too.

Fortunately, Rampage wasn't the one-hit-kill proposition it used to be -- especially once I layered on three coats of Ellysia's level 3 Shelter. But my Landsknecht (Perseph) was out of TP, so no heavy-hitting attacks after I used my Boost, and Alpha and Toasty were nearly out of TP for fire/healing. Somehow, I managed to survive the battle with only one casuality, Perseph. But everyone else was low on HP and out of TP. No problem -- that's what warp wires are for.

Ah, except... I'd forgotten to bring a warp wire. Aaand the next battle was a Fender and two Poisonflies... aaaaaand I wasted the first round trying in vain to make everyone run. I did manage to escape two rounds later, once I had offed the Fender, and somehow I made it back to town with no additional deaths. But it was entirely too close.

This game is awesome.

Excitemike
08-10-2007, 07:02 PM
There's nothing like getting back to town with only one party member left alive. It's like you've cheated death.

Mightyblue
08-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Haha...I just tangled with one of those Stalkers on the third floor for the first time and got my ass handed to me. My Troubadour and Alch were the only survivors after three rounds of ownage.

Torgo
08-10-2007, 10:08 PM
I safely ignored them until I could grind them into dust.

reibeatall
08-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I think I really suck at this game.

Mightyblue
08-10-2007, 10:45 PM
My main party's around level 9 on B3F. Is that a little low, or should I grind on some Ragelopes on B2F (Despite having killed all the FOEs already, I do know they regen every now and then).

Classic
08-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Protip:

FOEs do not actually give you very good EXP. They're a monster that gives twice the EXP, unfortunately they're around 3 to 10 times as powerful as a random encounter (depending, of course, on the placements of other FOEs). The real point to FOE hunting is selling their drops to get better equipment made at the store.

Grinding isn't really worth it until you have a means of cheap (read: Free) egress from the labyrinth. Also, not only is each new floor a relatively great jump in enemy power, entry to a new stratum (as you might expect) is met with much more rewarding random encounters. Spending a little extra time on level 6, (or better still, after completing a certain side-quest level 8) will be much more productive for you. Or at least, it was for me.

Deets
08-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Alright, so: After seeing everyone's advice here, I decided to add a Troubadour (Ellysia) to my party to replace my Survivalist (Rose). I'm not really finding a lot of use for Survivalists, aside from foraging missions -- their main advantage is the ability to wield a bow, but Troubadours can do that, too.
Except that Troubadors can't learn Apollon or Multihit, which are easily two of the most powerful offensive abilities in the game.

It's also worth noting that none of the troubador's buffs are especially good besides Divinity and a few others. Maxed immunize makes your guys nearly invulnerable to pretty much everything. Maxed shelter is nearly useless by comparison. Their elemental buffs are also pretty crappy compared to antifire/cold/etc.

Mightyblue
08-10-2007, 11:55 PM
I realize that much. But it is easier to fight one Ragelope than say run the risk of running into a bunch of Poisonflys and go through the fun that is being poisoned and trying to finish the battle in one turn (which I can do now, but still). Those bull FOEs are a pain though, since my Alchy only knows Thunder techs, but that's slowly being made up for the fact that I know have a Troub with some Atk buffing skills and my Landwhatever is starting to master the double attack skill.

Classic
08-11-2007, 12:14 AM
Is it possible to miss the chance to recruit ronin and/or hexers?

dussssstin
08-11-2007, 12:17 AM
Street Sharks??

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Streetsharks.jpg

holy cow i use to love that show as a kid! i even had all the action figures!

anyways on Etrian... B2 is killing me

MarsDragon
08-11-2007, 01:52 AM
Just took on and beat two Stalkers (separately. I've been ignoring this game for awhile.). It actually worked out pretty well. The first one mostly concentrated on my armoured up Protector, leaving my Alchemist to poison and then roast him to death while my Survivalist concentrated on lowering his accuracy and Multihitting and my Landy just cleaved evil. The second was much the same except for beating on my Landy instead, which made my Medic have to work a little harder. Still, no one died and I pulled through pretty well.

Right now my main team, named for people from SRW: OG are all level 16, and consist of: Sanger - Landy, Tasuku - Protector, Russel - Medic, Katina - Alchemist, and Latooni - Survivalist. I should be taking on and clearing the fifth floor with them pretty soon. Backup team, named for the 11 Masters of Sol from GaoGaiGar FINAL is mostly the same line up of classes, but with a Dark Hunter instead of a Survivalist and an Alchemist concentrating on Ice and Volt instead of Fire and Poison. They've also got a backup bard, who has sadly fallen behind. I'm trying to get them to concentrate on exploiting weaknesses by building up elemental stuff instead of the straight bashing the main ATX team does. Hopefully this will leave me with some variety if they ever need to cross over.

What I really need, though, is an axe user. Everyone uses swords. Maybe I need to make Pia Decem. Scythes are kind of axes, right?

Daydreamer
08-11-2007, 03:02 AM
I vote for Troubador as Most Awesomest Class Ever. +EXP passive, and dirt chear +Def and +Atk songs? Yes please!

Also, the dark skinned female Troubador looks IDENTICAL to my roomate, overly energetic expression and all.

sraymonds
08-11-2007, 07:41 AM
My team currently consists of a Protector, Landshank, Troubador, Medic, and Alchemist. I kind of want to get rid of the Troubador for a more combat-ready frontline character, but everyone's saying it's supposed to be awesome. Maybe I'll let him level up a few more times before I decide.

inkspaught
08-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm running Protector, Dark Hunter, Medic // Survivalist, Alchemist, all around level 45, at B17. It's gives me enough versatility with DH binds and Alchemist elemental damage, with plenty of brute force via Caduceus, Smite, Multihit/Apollon combined with the staying power courtesy the Protector/Medic combination (Defender, Immunize, Revive, Healing, Front/Back Guard).

Labyrinth exploration was definitely insanely difficult at first, but seems to have leveled out in difficulty, though this may be due to my playing style. Without patience for multiple teams and enough of a completionist (?) to compulsively finish all available quests I've been grinding the same five adventurers for about the entire time. It's gone from hair-raising to a state of controllable danger. I was about to say that the apparent difficulty drop-off was disappointing but I'm still digging the fun of exploration and gear unlocking and it's not like the challenge has disappeared, just changed in intensity.

Is it possible to miss the chance to recruit ronin and/or hexers?

I don't believe so, the event points that unlock them are pretty much at points you have to pass through, though they come later than one would expect... which means that despite unlocking an unspeakably powerful katana I don't know if I feel like catching a Ronin up to my squad.

---possible spoiler?

Was anybody else caught unawares by that Golem? My team was all like "well, we're about out of TP, so just one more room and then let's head home" and then suddenly: HELLO I AM INVINCIBLE ROBOT TIME TO DIE.

Rev. Ragu
08-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Ronin with level 10 Midareba are Boss and FOE ruining machines. Even when my Ronin was fifteen levels behind the rest of the team, she was still more efficient at taking down major enemies than anyone else in the team. The only problem is that the stance counts as a buff, and there are enemies that can take down buffs. It's not much of an efficiency hit to spend a turn getting into stance and then get three massive hits per turn for a few turns, but it's a bit less cut-and-dry when you keep having to get back into stance constantly.

I've been playing a mostly physical team; Protector, Landsknecht, Ronin, Medic, and Alchemist. As much as I get better at playing RPGs, I still have something of a gut aversion to characters who affect the battle in less direct ways than just raw number-generating power, even if I do mentally realize that a few well-placed buffs or status effects can make your team much more efficient than just having a bunch of bruisers brute forcing their way through the game. I was even a bit iffy on bringing a medic along at first, although I don't know what I'd do without Level 10 Immunize now.

The Protector is useful for Defender, although lagging behind the other two fighters in damage abilities, and with Immunize I don't even know if I really need the Defender around anymore. She does take hits pretty well, though. Since I've heard about the Level 5 Anti- skills, I think I'll keep her around a bit longer at least.

My Landsknecht specializes in swords, which I've found to be much better than axes. 2 Hit and Allslash makes her a monster in tough random encounters and those FOE battles I just can't finish fast enough before more join the fray. I'm actually having some trouble deciding what to do with her now, so I'm just going for Hellcry.

The Medic has level 10 Immunize and Refresh, Level 5 Revive, and now I'm just working on Salve II. Totally useless in most encounters, but indispensable where it counts.

I kind of messed up my Alchemist build early on, so now I don't really have any particular specialization past Level 10 poison, which is becoming more and more depreciated. Her spells are still strong enough that I don't have to reset her yet. I've been working on her second-tier single-hit spells, hopefully I won't be totally disappointed.

I've just been wondering, can the Hexer pull her weight? If I did get rid of the Protector at some point, I don't know what I'd replace her with besides another Ronin or Landsknecht. I had a whip-wielding Dark Hunter for a while, but replaced her with the Ronin as soon as I could; her binds were just way too unreliable. If the Hexer could actually reliably inflict some decent status ailments on enemies, the class might actually be worth having a look at.

bobservo
08-11-2007, 03:09 PM
I beat the Golem today. 3000 gold for my troubles? Not worth it.

dwolfe
08-11-2007, 04:49 PM
I second Deets. Go back to Survivor, Jeremy. I have 10 in Multihit (get three hits at about 150% damage? maybe 100%?) and 7/10 in Apollon (which currently does about...oh, 5-6x normal damage)...and wow.

The Survivor, when built as a FOE and Boss KILLING MACHINE, is unbelievable. He goes first every round, his burst DPT is double that of my Landsk...whatever's best boosted attack (despite having a much worse weapon). Just save up all his TP for tough encounters, Survivors don't get much.

Would...elemental attacks stack on him? I haven't ever enchanted an attack, I just brawl through every encounter so far.

I guess a buffing Survivor could work too, but as others have said, it's a bit tedious, especially when battles rarely last more than two rounds...so what's the point?

Parish
08-11-2007, 05:00 PM
Why must you undermine my beliefs that I understand this game? :(

Alex
08-11-2007, 05:00 PM
This game has the uncanny ability to break your break and make you humble like Iron Shiek talking about B. Brian Blair being worse than Micheal Jordan.

I accidentally/brazenly stumbled into a fight with Fenrir before I was ready, and his wolf friends beat me into the ground.

But after I managed to take down two Stalkers at once, I feel like I can take on anything in the first Stratum. Yeah!

Octopus Prime
08-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Just felt I should mention:

It gets so much easier to save money in this game when you have an alchemist that knows Warp (no need for Magnets or Warp Wires) and a Medic that knows Revive (no need for resurrection).

Deets
08-12-2007, 08:31 AM
I beat the Golem today. 3000 gold for my troubles? Not worth it.
Its item drops are, however. I think you have to use Kibuichi`(ronin skill) to kill the golem in order to get one of them? Something like that.

bobservo
08-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Its item drops are, however. I think you have to use Kibuichi`(ronin skill) to kill the golem in order to get one of them? Something like that.

I got a head or something, but it didn't unlock any new items at the shop.

On a different note, have any of you been doing the more tedious sidequests? I'm thinking specifically of the "spend 5 days on a certain floor" one. I could have done it, but I didn't feel like marching back and forth down a hallway for 3 hours.

sraymonds
08-12-2007, 12:57 PM
I have the skill tree FAQ bookmarked on my iphone because it seems like the only time I get to play the game is when my girlfriend is shopping. Like she is right now.

Also, I don't know jack about the skills.

tungwene
08-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I started this game in May. I made it only as far as BF3 and got stuck on the pain in the butt FOE that patrols near the entrance of that floor and stopped playing. I am now attempting to grind by FOE hunting on BF2 but the last time I attempted the FOE on BF3 he was still killing my Landsknecht which still hasn't hit 100 HP with one blow doing over 100 HP damage so needless to say I've got a ways to go. My current party consists of a Landsknecht, Protector, Troubador, and Alchemist all on Lvl 11 and a Medic at Lvl 12. I suppose any tips on how to get past this "boss" would be appreciated. I also have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and most of the terminology and jargon people have been using in this thread has completely gone over my head.

Octopus Prime
08-12-2007, 03:09 PM
If you're talking about a Stalker (big purple mantis-lookin' thing) don't bother with them yet. They're too flamin' powerful for you to have a prayer of killing them yet. Just go around them for now. The rest of the FOEs nearby are much easier to deal with.

Once you've reached floor 6 or 7, then go back, you should be able to tackle them then.

Mightyblue
08-12-2007, 04:22 PM
I started this game in May. I made it only as far as BF3 and got stuck on the pain in the butt FOE that patrols near the entrance of that floor and stopped playing. I am now attempting to grind by FOE hunting on BF2 but the last time I attempted the FOE on BF3 he was still killing my Landsknecht which still hasn't hit 100 HP with one blow doing over 100 HP damage so needless to say I've got a ways to go. My current party consists of a Landsknecht, Protector, Troubador, and Alchemist all on Lvl 11 and a Medic at Lvl 12. I suppose any tips on how to get past this "boss" would be appreciated. I also have absolutely no idea what I'm doing and most of the terminology and jargon people have been using in this thread has completely gone over my head.The easiest way to get past the guy in the first room on B3 is to go straight down until the second square from the bottom, then head left. With any luck, the Stalker will have kept a few paces behind you when you reach the door. The FOE in the bottom left area of the map is a Kuyutha, not a Stalker, so it's entirely possible to get past it, and one of the ladies that's supposed to help you out has a full heal spot in one of the rooms just past that area. Just got to B4, and I'm frikken delighted that I can hose Ragelope's with little or no trouble now. My Alchy did over 260 damage to a Ragelope with a single Thunder spell, and she's only at lv. 13.

islington
08-12-2007, 05:39 PM
So, I walked into an EB today with the intention of slapping down some money on a copy of Persona 3, and what do I see gazing at me longingly on the DS shelf?

I've been trying to get a copy of this game since it came out, but the stores in town didn't even know what it was. Jerks.

tungwene
08-12-2007, 06:16 PM
The easiest way to get past the guy in the first room on B3 is to go straight down until the second square from the bottom, then head left. With any luck, the Stalker will have kept a few paces behind you when you reach the door. The FOE in the bottom left area of the map is a Kuyutha, not a Stalker, so it's entirely possible to get past it, and one of the ladies that's supposed to help you out has a full heal spot in one of the rooms just past that area. Just got to B4, and I'm frikken delighted that I can hose Ragelope's with little or no trouble now. My Alchy did over 260 damage to a Ragelope with a single Thunder spell, and she's only at lv. 13.Thanks. Since it seemed impossible to shake that guy off my tail I just assumed it was an unavoidable battle.

Classic
08-12-2007, 10:22 PM
A troubador is a support machine. Pay attention yo. If you've got a landskneckt (Just say foot knight or foot soldier. Jeez) with 2Hit, a quick element buff suddenly makes each strike deal upwards of an extra 100%. Nothing to sneeze at. A level 5 bravery seems to add an extra 30-50% damage to all of my physical fighters, and the TP regenerating song keeps my spellcasters whipping out high-powered attacks every round.
Finally, its anti-element buffs aren't useful for the buffs, they're useful for the debuff that they lay on the enemy. It makes it so much easier for a specialized alchemist to clear out a set of goons, and it can even keep an over-specialized alchemist from being totally useless.

Of course, a troubador with the EXP boost isn't going to be a serious FOE tackling machine, but like any build in this game, you can sacrifice 10-12 useful skill ranks without completely maiming your build.

Re: Dark Hunter

binds are pretty freaking amazing.
THough the activation rate so far has been kind of low, if supported by an axe landskneckt with it's headshot (head-bind) and a survivalist with disable (leg bind) you can have a fully bound enemy in one turn. Ronin also have an arm binding technique from seidan, though it's probably not worth it (overhead all the way?).

The sword-based status ailments are a little bit more impressive. But the poison, hp sapping, and "terrible damage to fully bound opponents" has been enough to make me invest time into a whip-based DH.

Parish
08-12-2007, 11:53 PM
I killed my first Stalker tonight. I'm so damn proud.

Brickroad
08-13-2007, 11:31 AM
I noticed pretty early on that poison is amazing. Pump your alchemist's poison skill up a few levels and, if you can get it to connect, you basically just watch the FOEs die.

islington
08-13-2007, 01:19 PM
What the hell is with that room in the northwest corner of B3?

Two Stalkers? Ouch.

Excitemike
08-13-2007, 01:27 PM
What the hell is with that room in the northwest corner of B3?

Two Stalkers? Ouch.

I beat them over the weekend. The treasure wasn't much to speak of, but being able juggle two at once was pretty thrilling.

Mightyblue
08-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Man, I didn't even bother trying to fight them. I just sprinted for the treasure and got in one battle while sandwiched between the two Stalkers. My fingers were jabbing the Escape button pretty hard there for a second.

Daydreamer
08-13-2007, 01:41 PM
I noticed pretty early on that poison is amazing. Pump your alchemist's poison skill up a few levels and, if you can get it to connect, you basically just watch the FOEs die.

That works wonders until the bottom of the fourth stratum or so. Since the damage caps out at 255, when you start running into foes with 3-5k HP, its not so wonderful

ScrambledGregs
08-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I kind of feel like everybody's little brother because I'm waiting for my copy to arrive and I want to be cool but I'm too young/late to manage it. Damn!! By the time I'm waist deep in this game, you all will be on to Persona 3 and Nich will be rolling in a big pile of money.

dwolfe
08-13-2007, 07:22 PM
Congrats on killing your first stalker, jeremy! It is just as exciting when you first kill any new F.O.E. ...I had to kill three gator-type in one extended battle on F13. Tense, with one adding every couple turns and them one-shotting half my group if they connect with the wrong person.

I really like my Ronin so far, but he's still so far below in levels he gets one-shotted every other time he's hit. Even though he has 200 hp and the best armor money can buy right now. *weeps* I'm keeping him in the party though, I just like the character.

Mightyblue
08-13-2007, 07:36 PM
Ronin's just have shitty defense though. Bring someone along who can buff him up some, and they're usually good to go.

Parish
08-13-2007, 08:26 PM
....and tonight I lost to Fenrir for the first time. My enthusiasm is dampened but not snuffed.

islington
08-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Fenrir got me earlier, but happily the rematch went my way. Bind skills seem very good for softening FOEs up a fair bit; bind arms makes Stalkers way less dangerous and bind legs takes away Fenrir's scariest ability.

tungwene
08-13-2007, 09:42 PM
I haven't died all day which I consider a pretty good feat but I think I've been playing for too long because I get just a tad too excited whenever I come across Whitestones and Amber Lumps. I've explored a good chunk of BF4, and I've just been going as far down as I can before my item bag gets full and Warp Wiring back up to the surface to sell my loot.

I'll probably try to take on Fenrir tomorrow and die horribly in the process but not now because I'm sleepy. My party is still the same, the troubador, protector, and landsknecht are the only ones that can do decent damage with normal attacks. I opened up the Beast Bow for my troubador and gave the Boar Spear to my protector since I chose to go down the axes route with my landsknecht. I don't want to give up either my medic or alchemist, the medic has almost learned revive and the alchemist is the only one that can do over 100 damage with her spells in my party. Should I bother getting a Survivalist or Dark Hunter and learning some bind skills before I take on Fenrir or is my current party okay? Everyone's at Lvl 15 or 14 right now.

Also, does Boost only increase physical attack power? Does it increase magical attack power at all?

Mightyblue
08-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Yep. A boost increases Mag. and Phys. Attack by 1.5x (approximately). Dark Hunters have a skill that strengthens the boost effect. Fury, I think it is.

Parish
08-13-2007, 10:47 PM
So, tungwene, did you copy my file or what?

Octopus Prime
08-14-2007, 03:58 AM
I Boosted my Medic and cast Salve, which managed to restore my nearly dead team to full health.

So yes, Boost works on magic too.

Excitemike
08-14-2007, 06:34 AM
I gave up on axes for my Lancshnekt because I wanted the sword skills that have magic effects. How do those work? Do I have to use one after the corresponding spell is cast, or can I just use use if an alchemist with that spell is in my my party? (I think I know the answer, but I want to confirm)

And when will I come across my first decent sword?

The beauty of this game is that it can accommodate so many different playing styles. So what does your style of play say about you?

tungwene
08-14-2007, 08:40 AM
Do the wolf FOEs (eh, I know they're called something else but it was 4 am when I played this and I no longer remember) that prowl around Fenrir regenerate? They're manageable if I can take them out one by one, escape back to B3F to heal myself, and take them on again until only Fenrir is left. What I can't manage is three of them gaining up on me while I'm trying to take down Fenrir. I did manage to knock him down to close to one fourth of his HP but then the wolf things got me. But if the FOEs regenerate every time I leave the room this strategy is bunk and I'll just have to think of something else.

So, tungwene, did you copy my file or what?Hehe, not unless your current party is the same as your starting party.

Parish
08-14-2007, 09:11 AM
The wolves don't regenerate, at least not immediately - I killed a few, warped out and returned two days later to find them gone. I just need to figure out how to kill the Skolls behind Fenrir. Is there any way to get back there? I knocked the bastard down to a tiny sliver of health, but his freaking backup killed me first.

islington
08-14-2007, 09:41 AM
I couldn't figure out a way to get behind him, but if you get close to him and then move away, he'll follow you. I led him into one of the side nooks in his room and was thus able to kill him before his backup could catch up.

Brickroad
08-14-2007, 09:58 AM
That works wonders until the bottom of the fourth stratum or so. Since the damage caps out at 255, when you start running into foes with 3-5k HP, its not so wonderful

I'm about halfway through the fourth stratum now. Even though it caps at 255, isn't it still a good idea to stick Poison on a rough FOE anyway? It doesn't tie up your alchemist's subsequent turns, after all.

I really need to pick up the game again and keep going. I haven't touched it since I resolved to finish all my PS2 backlog, which I've since done.

When I had left off I was leveling up my brand new Hexer, but I admit I have no clue whatsoever on how to properly spec him. I'm assuming they're devastating at high levels, right?

I found the best way to be successful is to really take advantage of the fact that you are maintaining an entire guild. Sticking with one five-man group the whole way just isn't the way to go about things. I've got at least one of every class, except Medic and Alchemist (of which I have two each), and Survivalist (of which I have an entire team for gathering purposes). Since equipment isn't level-capped, you can deck out a new L1 group with your awesome gear from Stratrum 3 and level them up extremely quickly. It's also pretty easy just to stick a L1 guy in the back row of your main team and let him absorb all the XP that way, too.

Phil
08-14-2007, 01:17 PM
The wolves don't regenerate, at least not immediately - I killed a few, warped out and returned two days later to find them gone. I just need to figure out how to kill the Skolls behind Fenrir. Is there any way to get back there? I knocked the bastard down to a tiny sliver of health, but his freaking backup killed me first.

You can't get behind him as far as I know. However, as islington suggested, you can lure him away from his compatriots. Don't get into the square directly adjacent to him; he'll lunge at you. Stay one further away from him, then start moving backwards. He'll chase you. You can back into either of the nooks on the side. Then you should have enough turns to keep his fellow wolves from joining in on the group mauling.

Yeah, he totally kicked my butt the first time. Rather, him and three Skolls at once. Guh.

Alex
08-14-2007, 02:14 PM
In the Monstrous Codex, under the item drops for Fenrir there's another one that I didn't get. Does he show up again or have I missed that item drop forever?

Octopus Prime
08-14-2007, 02:28 PM
Bosses DO respawn after a while, but not as quickly or as often as FOEs do.

Speaking of, is there some trick to fighting the Golem, or is having levels in the low 30s just not high enough?

Because I found that darn thing by accident and it pretty well wiped out more then an hours worth of play.

Alex
08-14-2007, 02:33 PM
As for naming, I mostly use my friends' names. Save for Phoenix the Landsknecht, Figwit the Survivalist, and D. Bowie the Troubadour.

So I finally reached the 3rd stratum after scarily getting sucked into the fight with Cernunos. I also liked the name for B9F. Etriaspace: A Labyrinth for Monsters!

TP Regen is sooo worth it, I think. If I re-assign skill points, though, I'm going to take everything out of that passive healing skill, since apparently it heals at most 10%.

tungwene
08-14-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm going to be gone for two weeks without net access though I will have my laptop and DS. I'm saving this entire thread to my desktop as I type. This is a really awesome thread and I thanks to everyone's who's been posting strategies or updates on their games or whatever. It's all been a really great help for me. Thanks, Jeremy, for picking this for the Fun Club's first RPG.

blindblue
08-14-2007, 08:36 PM
As for naming, I mostly use my friends' names. Save for Phoenix the Landsknecht, Figwit the Survivalist, and D. Bowie the Troubadour.

So I finally reached the 3rd stratum after scarily getting sucked into the fight with Cernunos. I also liked the name for B9F. Etriaspace: A Labyrinth for Monsters!

TP Regen is sooo worth it, I think. If I re-assign skill points, though, I'm going to take everything out of that passive healing skill, since apparently it heals at most 10%.

I named my Troubadour Bowie, too. Everyone names that guy after David Bowie.

I beat this a month ago and got bored of the post-game, so I stopped at B26F, but I enjoyed it a lot. Are the sales figures for EO out? I understand it was a sleeper in Japan, but how'd it do over here?

Parish
08-14-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks, gang. Knowing that I could lure Fenrir away from the pack made all the difference -- he would have been an easy conquest last time if it weren't for the Skolls. And since I was slightly more buff this time around he went down like a chump.

I was smart enough not to get cocky, though. B6 is exactly as OHMYGOD brutal as I expected. I did survive the four waves of hornets, though, so I guess I'm not hopeless.

dwolfe
08-14-2007, 09:58 PM
Fenrir. I couldn't lure him away from the other wolves the first time. I tried and died several times, I don't know why it didn't work. I eventually won by focusing on taking him down first and spamming salve every single round.

I got REVENGE on him today. Level 40 party, going back with the just-found violet crystal to open up locked doors; I see Fenrir in the way and an evil grin finds its way to my face.

One round. He missed on his one and only attack. Then he died and I got the special drop. Oh, how sweet. If only Oblilvion had let me have that feeling of becoming a force to be reckoned with.

Once you get past Fenrir the game really opens up. Levels come slow but steady, if you are harvesting at all you get better weapons more often it seems, and I'm actually forgetting to customize characters every level up because i'm not feeling so weak.

on the Landsk*'s...I went axe and maxed double-hit and stunner. The sword skills look neat, but maximizing one skill at a time seems to be key for earlier in the game to get the most out of your characters.

Eusis
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I took Fenrir down on my third try. Didn't know how to lure him off, so I just h ad to dispatch him ASAP then his reinforcements. I haven't picked up the game since though, I just proceeded to the next level then bailed. I'll be picking it back up after I get through CT though.

Brickroad
08-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Fought my way down to the midway point of the fourth stratum (hooray healing spring!). Pretty easy to hit all three item points on this floor, even with my gatherer group (which is only in their 20s, as opposed to their high-40s like everyone else), so I can make a cool 6000-7000 gold off an item run.

The problem I'm having is that I didn't put any points into Def Up for my Ronin or Dark Hunter, so they tend to die like little bitches. A lot. There's a piece of equipment up now with the mysterious benefit of "physical resist up" I think might be perfect for them... but it costs 130,000 gold.

Of course, my Protector is specced all wrong and only has one point in Defender. This might be a good time to re-roll five of my guys (one of my Medics is all over the place too) and get them right this time.

My Landshark and Dark Hunter have points in both weapon types they can use... is it better to just specialize in one or the other?

islington
08-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Beware B12! I was laughing at how easy the FOEs there were, right up until I got jumped by two at once. A few rounds later, I realized they were respawning as fast or faster than I could kill them, so I tried running away, and somehow ended up in combat with my back to a wall. Apparently you can't escape in this situation.

After 81 rounds of combat, the tide of ants finally succeeded in killing my party. The worst part of the experience was how close I kept coming to getting out of the fight alive, with only one ant remaining at low health. Every time, the random number generator crushed my fragile hopes by having an attack inexplicably miss.

Stupid ants.

tungwene
08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know what I'm supposed to do with the Golden Seed I get during one of the quests? I've mapped all of B6F and I don't know how to use it. It's not even lit up on my item list. I got nothin'.

I've made it to B7F but warped out of there because I got cornered by an FOE and Warped out. I also taught my troubadour Relaxing Song which isn't very useful at the moment so I've been pouring skill points into that ability. Hope it's worth it. I also acquired a Dark Hunter to replace my Landsknecht after I ran into my first Moa and it wiped out my entire party in two turns with Rush. Also, I've been naming my party members after my friends. Like my Troubadour's named after a friend who's a music theater major and I've mostly been picking character portraits that look like them and naming them correspondingly.

I also wiped out all the Stalkers on B3F in one go while leveling my Dark Hunter. That felt good. That felt really good.

Mightyblue
08-15-2007, 07:16 PM
Spoilerish, but: http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/file/934287/48526

Read the comments on the right side.

dwolfe
08-15-2007, 07:20 PM
The problem I'm having is that I didn't put any points into Def Up for my Ronin or Dark Hunter, so they tend to die like little bitches. A lot. There's a piece of equipment up now with the mysterious benefit of "physical resist up" I think might be perfect for them... but it costs 130,000 gold.

Ronin don't get Def Up as a trait. They're relatively fragile. Closest thing to it is HP Up or learning a stance and going into it the first round (it increases attack a lot and defense at least a little). Not sure on DH as mine is 20 levels behind everyone else, alone and neglected.

\
My Landshark and Dark Hunter have points in both weapon types they can use... is it better to just specialize in one or the other?

Landsk* should have 5 each in axes and swords for double-hit. No point in having both for a Dark Hunter.

dwolfe
08-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Beware B12! I was laughing at how easy the FOEs there were, right up until I got jumped by two at once. A few rounds later, I realized they were respawning as fast or faster than I could kill them, so I tried running away, and somehow ended up in combat with my back to a wall. Apparently you can't escape in this situation.

Stupid ants.

I don't understand. The summoning FOE ant summons a second class of ant that doesn't summon ants. If you just kill the tougher summoners first, you should have been fine. If it was a non-FOE frog that was summoning, you could have escaped.

islington
08-15-2007, 11:13 PM
I don't understand. The summoning FOE ant summons a second class of ant that doesn't summon ants. If you just kill the tougher summoners first, you should have been fine. If it was a non-FOE frog that was summoning, you could have escaped.

On B12, there are two types of FOE ants. Until you encounter and kill the Servant in a particular area, Bloodants spawn every few turns and charge you. I had the misfortune of getting stuck fighting two of the latter, in such a way that I couldn't escape to find the former.

Revenge was sweet, as I'm sure you can imagine. The Royalant and all her cronies are dead.

dwolfe
08-16-2007, 06:51 AM
On B12, there are two types of FOE ants. Until you encounter and kill the Servant in a particular area, Bloodants spawn every few turns and charge you. I had the misfortune of getting stuck fighting two of the latter, in such a way that I couldn't escape to find the former.

Revenge was sweet, as I'm sure you can imagine. The Royalant and all her cronies are dead.

Oh! I understand what happened now. I had forgotten about the Servants respawning bloodants. I managed never to get stuck next to a FOE bloodant spawn point but I can see how that could happen if you don't have enough damage per turn to kill them.

Brickroad
08-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Ronin don't get Def Up as a trait. They're relatively fragile. Closest thing to it is HP Up or learning a stance and going into it the first round (it increases attack a lot and defense at least a little). Not sure on DH as mine is 20 levels behind everyone else, alone and neglected.

D'oh, you're right. No Def Up. My strategy so far is to go into Overhead Stance right off the bat, but even doing that she tends to die a lot. She's easily the strongest member of the team, though.

Think I'll cash in my Protector, Dark Hunter, Ronin, Troubador and a Medic and re-level them with the extra points and a more clear direction.

Meg
08-16-2007, 02:38 PM
Well, I've made it down to B30F and I've hit three doors that won't let me pass, so I guess I'm stuck for now. These last five floors have really tested my patience, in particular B29F and its warping system. I really wish the levels would allow more symbols to be used-- after a while I had to rope off the "finished" sections of B29F with a pit symbol and erase all the markings and warp directions I'd previously noted just so I could continue to mark other unexplored sections of the floor. Also, getting warped back to the beginning the floor for the fifteenth time is not fun at all.

I tried working on my protector again after Nich's tip for the dragons (I assume they're behind the locked doors on B30F), but my party felt broken and ineffective after I removed my Troubadour, so I shuffled the protector back out again. If I ever get past those doors, I'll see how badly I do without him.

Brickroad
08-18-2007, 07:59 PM
Well, I respecced my Dark Hunter with nothing but points in Atk Up, Whips, and his various Bind moves (and Ecstasy). I'm glad I did, since clearing the FOEs on B19 opened up a new whip at the shop called the Dominator. This bad boy was pricey at 78,000 gold, but gives a whopping +187 to attack power and increases my hunter's boost rate. He's now my strongest character, and when paired up with my Landshark and Hexer, can get a bad guy completely bound in just a few turns. Then it's time to go to town with Ecstasy! I'm glad I didn't give up on this class.

switchbeat
08-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I couldn't figure out a way to get behind him, but if you get close to him and then move away, he'll follow you. I led him into one of the side nooks in his room and was thus able to kill him before his backup could catch up.

Evidently I didn't get close enough. I moved within a space or two of Fenrir, then moved back and he didn't budge. I went in for the battle and his backup ended up cleaning me out. I defeated him with only my protector alive. I thought about refighting, but in the end I moved on (now I'm about an hour past that fight). Should I have redone the fight?

Brickroad
08-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Evidently I didn't get close enough. I moved within a space or two of Fenrir, then moved back and he didn't budge. I went in for the battle and his backup ended up cleaning me out. I defeated him with only my protector alive. I thought about refighting, but in the end I moved on (now I'm about an hour past that fight). Should I have redone the fight?

You'll get your chance for a rematch; he respawns every couple in-game days. In the future you can just warp straight to B6, go down a floor, and get him from behind. He does drop two different items (most bosses do, I think) so it's definitely worth fighting him again.

nitzmoff
08-19-2007, 09:52 PM
Hello everyone, new here. My thoughts so far (no spoliers):

It's really refreshing to play a game that is so clearly loved by the game's creator. I don't think anyone at Atlus was twisting Kazuya Niinou's arm to have the comics made, write those dev blogs, etc. I dig that.

I really love the deliberate pace of the game and the way that it makes you value your actions, something that is a bit lacking in many of today's games. In my opinion, it's a perfect handheld in large part because of it's high difficulty level. If I spend 20 min on the Caltrain gaining a few levels, mapping out a little of whatever floor I'm on or whatever, I've just made my journey a bit easier. Every action you take stacks the seemingly insurmountable odds a little more in your favor. Even if you're wiped out, at least you keep your map.

I'm on the 15th (I think) floor so far and the game is really picking up steam. In fact, it really shows just how slow the first third of the game really was. Many of the floors, for at least what you currently know of them have a lot of repetitive action. I can easily see folks growing fatigued from the middle of the second stratum- don't stop! Once you get closer to the third stratum the game really opens up with more interesting environment elements, monster spawns, etc.

What's especially interesting is the way you'll find yourself backtracking to old floors to learn new secrets. It even more so starts to feel that your party is a little fish swimming in increasingly deeper and darker waters. I loved finding bosses in unexpected places and being rewarded heavily for my victory.

So far this game is exactly what I was always hoping handheld games would be (but rarely are) when I first heard about the Gameboy so many years ago- a pocket adventure. Something that makes you forget you're waiting in line, in a waiting room, etc.

My two cents.

Crested Penguin
08-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I just picked up this game a while ago and have been playing... too much of it when I should be doing other things.

I really like how there isn't much penalty for abandoning one or two party members for fresh ones early on (I'm only on B4). Initally, I had a Dark Hunter and a Lightning/Fire Alchemist. The Dark Hunter wasn't doing much for me, and I realized how awesome Poison is in this, so I scrapped them for a Protector and a new alchemist specializing in Poison with a hint of Ice, and bringing them up to speed was easy.

I really like my Survivalist now that I have Ambush, I'm getting a lot of preemptive attacks, which make a big difference. His damage output wasn't too hot until I got the parts for a long bow, but it was enough to keep him around just for the preemptive attacks.

Right now I'm really impressed with the setup for B4, with a bunch of not-so-bad FOEs (in contrast to the Stalkers above) that all aggro whenever you get in a fight. It makes even little conflicts stressful, since if you're careless, you've got two extra wolves coming after you on top of whatever you were fighting. It's amazing to see the lost art of good level design resurface in a turn-based dungeon crawl of all things.

inkspaught
08-20-2007, 02:42 PM
Speaking of item drops - does anyone know if all third spot items are 'special' drops? That is to say: ones that require a special manner of killing to unlock? I lucked out and got the 3rd drops for the Golem (which, to answer an earlier query, I don't think requires any special way to kill -- I just kept hammering and healing like no tomorrow, though 30s may be too low, I believe I was early 40s) and Royal ant the first time but still have to go back for Fenrir & Cernunos' 3rd drops.

dwolfe
08-20-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh man, I had no idea there were comics and columns at http://www.atlus.com/etrian/. Thanks, nitzmoff!

I am now finishing the pain that is F16. Argh. I'm trying to use my usual system of mapping to figure things out, and if I hadn't bought warp for my Alchemist (forgot a Warp Wire? No problem!) every time you find a dead-end...let's not think about it.

I'm so not looking forward to the fourth stratum now. *minor spoiler alert*

I think I'm going to erase my entire F16 map EXCEPT the path to the stairs once I finish mapping it out. It's just too painful if you haven't played even a day or two and can't recall the path to the (yet unfound) stairs down. I don't want to picture doing that every time I want to explore F16-20. (Atlus ProTip: one-way shortcuts and moving walkways are NOT COOL when you don't have any mapping tools designed for them).

ProTip: I'm trying the "don't draw walls when it's a walkway" and "drawn walls on a warp point to indicate it only works one way" method and it's actually working very very well mapping this level. Relative to beating my head against a brick wall, anyway. Hoping I don't run into the maximum number of special symbols wall, as I burnt up lots of "monster" icons mapping lily pads on F14.

Hope this thread isn't dying out, especially as Bioshock is out tomorrow and heck, I know which I'd rather play. Leave something tonight guys!

q 3
08-21-2007, 12:25 AM
Well, I've made it down to B30F and I've hit three doors that won't let me pass, so I guess I'm stuck for now. [. . .]

the dragons (I assume they're behind the locked doors on B30F)

It's actually the other way around, kind of. The dragons are all on earlier floors, but don't appear until you've accepted the right quests at the pub.

Brickroad
08-21-2007, 08:48 AM
I think I'm going to erase my entire F16 map EXCEPT the path to the stairs once I finish mapping it out. It's just too painful if you haven't played even a day or two and can't recall the path to the (yet unfound) stairs down. I don't want to picture doing that every time I want to explore F16-20. (Atlus ProTip: one-way shortcuts and moving walkways are NOT COOL when you don't have any mapping tools designed for them).

ProTip: I'm trying the "don't draw walls when it's a walkway" and "drawn walls on a warp point to indicate it only works one way" method and it's actually working very very well mapping this level. Relative to beating my head against a brick wall, anyway. Hoping I don't run into the maximum number of special symbols wall, as I burnt up lots of "monster" icons mapping lily pads on F14.

Hope this thread isn't dying out, especially as Bioshock is out tomorrow and heck, I know which I'd rather play. Leave something tonight guys!

I wrestled with a few different ways of mapping B16 before saying screw it and just marking the paths to the mine point and the exit with warp tiles and little notes. It makes navigation much easier on floors that are really twisty and convoluted. I also have little notes telling me when to re-cast Stalker when I go in with my Survivalist party for gathering runs, since they don't have the TP to push through very many battles.

There is a limit to how many special tiles you can have per map, but I don't know how many it is. I ran up against it when trying to map all the damage tiles on B7. Not only do you not have enough tiles to paint each one, but you don't have enough to even just paint an outline of them. I had to make do with just marking "safe zones" instead.

I'm at the point where I'm questioning the usefulness of my alchemists. I rested them both and re-allocated their points into one element (instead of two like they had been), but they're still a great deal weaker than my physical attackers. With my Troubador's help, my Protector, Dark Hunter, and Landshark can all one-shot monsters even on B19. My Ronin and Survivalist can't, but they're awesome in boss fights. And if I really need elemental attacks, my Troubador has me covered (Blaze + Ifrit, for example, is devastating even at only one point in each). Why bother with alchemists anymore?

Meg
08-21-2007, 12:02 PM
It's actually the other way around, kind of. The dragons are all on earlier floors, but don't appear until you've accepted the right quests at the pub.

Yeah, I just completed the severed arm quest which then unlocked the blizzard dragon quest. My entire party is at level 70, but after two very cheap deaths from the dragon, I think I'm going to give this game a break for a while. I've put a ton of time into it, but I don't want to rest my party again, and it's too frustrating to get worked up over.

Octopus Prime
08-22-2007, 06:37 PM
Finally managed to hit F13. The Royal Ant was a huge pain the arse, and now the new monsters are unleashing hell upon my party.

This game has a real knack for punishing hubris.

ScrambledGregs
08-23-2007, 07:37 AM
Allow me to spin you a story. So it's 7 o'clock last night. I finally give up on Super Paper Mario, I had finished Act Raiser after staying up until 3 a.m. the previous night (thank you for the recommendation on this game, Retronauts crew!!), and Soldier Blade/Military Madness were making me bleed from the eyes with difficulty. I had ordered Etrian and Mario Kart DS off Amazon, but hadn't touched those because of the Wii. A new episode of MythBusters is set to come on at 9, so I figure hey, I'll give each game about an hour.

What happened?? I spent almost all of that time playing Etrian Odyssey, only getting in one race of Mario Kart before the busting of myths aforementioned came on. I think that's the highest praise I could give this game, too: I love Mario Kart, but Etrian Odyssey has completely consumed me. I never would have given the game a chance if not for the Gamespite Fun Club, sadly, so I owe you all a hearty mug of thanks.

Can someone explain to me, psychologically, why I find making my own map so addictive?? I'm not in the least a obsessive-compulsive type, therefore I'm guessing it plays on the human need to make progress, no matter how little?? Normally in a RPG when I have to go into the same dungeon area over and over, it feels like a tedious grind. But in Etrian Odyssey, this is not so because hey, I'm slowly filling in a map and a codex of items, weapons, and monsters.

p.s. that crab on the first floor has nearly killed me like three times because I keep forgetting to swap in my Elementalist. I can't wait until I run into the dreaded FOEs.

Alex
08-23-2007, 02:07 PM
This game has a real knack for punishing hubris.

Indeed, I go into every big fight now thinking I'm going to get wiped out. You WILL respect the FOEs or they will murder you for taking them lightly.

Oh! But I finally broke on into the Fourth strata! That Royalant was tricky, I kept trying to eliminate all of her surrounding ants until I realized that they were immediately respawning. Cocytus sure did come in handy there.

and the lily pads were kind of a pain, but not so much that I couldn't navigate them, only to wind up getting into one huge boss fight! eep!

I love the different environments, too. This game is magical.

ScrambledGregs
08-24-2007, 01:51 PM
I'm thinking that I ought to make a power party just to tackle FOEs and another party to grind/gather items for money. Because I didn't realize FOEs respawn after a set period of time, and wow was that fun.

nitzmoff
08-25-2007, 09:09 AM
Just hit the fourth stratum- very cool. Quite a change of pace there, looking forward to seeing what this one has to offer.

In my limited experience on the 16th floor it seems the battle music has now changed in addition to the usual bgm change. I dig that, it's a very different way of presenting progress to the player in a traditional rpg like this one.

Traumadore
08-30-2007, 04:32 PM
Though I only posted once so far, this thread has got me hooked on this game. I have gone from B3F to B14f in the last couple of weeks. I guess here some parting thoughts on the August RPG of the month.

It feels like a real honest to goodness adventure, I am rewarded for clever thinking, being prepared, and retreating when I have to.

Every new challenge has a way around it or a weakness, which I havent felt in a game since perhaps Vagrant Story.

Different F.O.E.s have different personalities, from the Assassin clambering out of his hiding place to corner as you pass, to the slowly marching Bloodants, to the Killclaw rising from the nearest pond to catch you unawares every time you encounter other monsters, then fading away if he missed his opportunity. This along with the great text makes the environments very discriptive despite the game's apparent minimalism.

Every skill is useful, there is no fat or filler here. The game is hard enough that you must use every resource to progress, but not too hard that misplacing a few skill points ruins everything.

I have been tired of RPGs where you just autoattack your way through 80% of the game, rarely have to use consumables, and never face a threat that requires running away even though you have the option in most games. Etrian Odyssey could teach a few lessons to many of the developers out there!

nitzmoff
08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
With the month coming to a close I thought I'd don my JD Roth hat and give a quick pro-tip for those that will continue playing on into September. That is, should you be lucky/skillful enough to acquire a monster part that unlocks one of the end game weapons early on (in my case the final bow from the boss of the 3rd stratum) but it costs all of your hard earned gold to buy it (once again, in my case 115k monies) it is completely worth it if it's for a character you plan on taking to the end game. Having a survivalist one shot mobs without fail is a huge leg up against the relentless hordes of encounters.

I fell like I just unlocked the Heavy Barrel. Her Apollon skill can rack up 2500 damage in a single shot at a time when less than a fifth of that is considered a glorious critical hit.

I imagine if you went ahead and *teeny spoiler* got the best axe off the big bad Golem and gave it to a landsknecht you would have similar results.

Coinspinner
08-31-2007, 09:37 AM
I started playing this again two days ago. I'd been finishing up BF6 when I sent my DS for repairs, which had been a murderously hard floor for some reason, but once I got going again the rest of the stratum felt easy. I can register Ronins now.

Gonna Rest my Dark Hunter and form a Survivalist + Dark Hunter + Ronin party and beat up the easy random enemies on BF11.

q 3
08-31-2007, 09:39 AM
For the expensive end-game equipment, there's a very nice money making game on B21F (same trick as on B1F, just worth a whole lot more). If you can wait until then before going on a huge shopping spree, you will be much happier than if you try and grind all that cash earlier.

Excitemike
08-31-2007, 10:45 AM
I did not make much progress this month, but I've been playing this on and off since I got it. And I will continue to play it for many months to come. I hope there's a sequel, I think this is one game I'll never get sick of.

Parish
08-31-2007, 12:09 PM
I had to shelve Etrian to clear my slate for work, but I was having a grand ol' time in the second stratum. I spent some time working my way back up through the hidden sections of the first stratum until I wandered into a grid of 9x9 rooms on the second? third? level and wandered into the jaws of a wooly mammoth-looking FOE who was waaaaay beyond my ability to defeat.

My party is really starting to differentiate itself; for most of the first stratum, my Protector was hitting harder than my Landsknecht, but now her axe skills are boosted and buffed to turn her into a monster, while the Protector hasn't risen in strength much but barely flinches at most attacks. Wooly mammoth-looking FOES notwithstanding.

Freakiest moment: I wandered into that bee ambush event on F6 while standing in front of my apartment waiting for the train. Then a bee started flying around my head and wouldn't leave me alone no matter where I moved. When I closed my DS and stopped playing, it went away. What. The. HELL.

Alex
08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
I retired some characters to freshen things up, and suddenly I'm no longer feeling pressured to have a Protector in my party. I'm beginning to wonder if my Survivalist can survive in the front row with my Landsnikt, and if it was a good idea to focus on one set of weapon skills for her.

Also, did anyone else get a real sense of uneasiness when you get the mission to annihlate the forest folk? I mean, sure, I'll kill any that I run into, but outright genocide? :(

Parish
08-31-2007, 09:44 PM
And tonight we bid farewell to August, and to Etrian Odyssey. Farewell!

Please give us a sequel, Atlus. (Take your time, though, it's gonna be a while before I'm done with the game.)