PDA

View Full Version : Wii games are just minigame collections - but which are the best?

Red Hedgehog
06-05-2007, 02:57 PM
[Note: opening sentence of the thread title is totally tongue in cheek]

So my friends are totally awesome and for my birthday pooled together their funds to get me a Wii - next time they are in stock. In the mean time, I have already started thinking about what game I want. Zelda and Super Paper Mario are obvious for single player experiences, but this is the Wii - it has an innovative new control mechanism and I want play with it with my friends.

My question is then - what are the best party games for the Wii? Raving Rabbids? Wario Ware? Has anyone tried out the Madden game for the Wii and does it make good use of the waggle?

Let me know.

hank_tree
06-05-2007, 03:13 PM
I would say Wario Ware is the most fun. Maybe Mario Party 8 - I haven't played it.

Calorie Mate
06-05-2007, 03:19 PM
I think Wii Sports is the most fun I've had with other people on the system.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Wario Ware
Despite the bad reviews for Mario Party I rather like it, although if you have played Mario Party before, well you know the drill. But in a group its great

Excitemike
06-05-2007, 03:40 PM
WarioWare's single player mode is a too short, and it's multi-player was a bit of a letdown. Passing a single controller Hot Potato style didn't do anything for me; I would just rather have my own controller. Mario Party is pretty fun so far. I've never played one before, so I don't have a frame of reference. Lots of options and extra modes make up for the s-l-o-w pace of the regular game. The best minigames for Wii come packed in the box, but there's a good VC option: Mario Kart (and Bomberman, if you are into that sort of thing)

tungwene
06-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Rayman Raving Rabbids. What sets it apart from other mini game games is the ridiculous humor, imo. I think its a lot of fun in both single and multiplayer mode. I think the humor is what makes it more entertaining.

thomp538
06-05-2007, 04:41 PM
WarioWare's single player mode is a too short, and it's multi-player was a bit of a letdown. Passing a single controller Hot Potato style didn't do anything for me; I would just rather have my own controller. Mario Party is pretty fun so far. I've never played one before, so I don't have a frame of reference. Lots of options and extra modes make up for the s-l-o-w pace of the regular game. The best minigames for Wii come packed in the box, but there's a good VC option: Mario Kart (and Bomberman, if you are into that sort of thing)
Well the only frame of reference you would have is that they all are almost exactly the same. One of the let downs with the Wii one though is I would have liked to have seen more new minigames and more new boards. But the 2 player duel mode is interesting, I haven't played mario party since N64 so I don't know if they had that on the cube ones.

As far as the multiplayer modes on wario ware, thaey are a little too short, but you just keep playing them over and over and over and so on.

Eusis
06-05-2007, 04:55 PM
I enjoyed Warioware more, but only played a bit of that multiplayer and none of Raving Rabbids. I prefer Warioware as far as single player goes, and it may be more convinent since Raving Rabbids also requires the nunchuk. However, you can just stick with Wii Sports and grab stuff like Mario Kart and Bomberman '93 off of the VC.

virulent
06-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Definitely have to go with WarioWare as well. I don't think it's as good as the other WW games, but it had it's moments. Single player was a good time, though pretty easy even compared to the other games. As for the multiplayer,the fun comes from looking like a complete ass in front of whoever you're playing with. Bungee Buddies is pretty damn fun too, for a few tries.

yakkotank
06-06-2007, 03:04 AM
Agreed, WarioWare is great, especially if you have friends that enjoy absurdity. As mentioned before, it's also fun for those who are not playing...

Sami
06-06-2007, 02:59 PM
Don't settle just for one - variety is the spice of minigames, literally. Wii Sports is a nice starter, people really get into Tennis, Bowling and Boxing. Golf is a little slow for parties, and Baseball seems to be somewhat hard. But do take note of Wii Play - a nice minigame compilation and a Wiimote at a great price. Cow riding, pick a Mii, soap bubbles and target practice offer lots of fun.

Then there are the two big ones, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Wario Ware. Personally, I preferred Rayman of the two, even if it was more uneven. Rayman has some great ideas and great execution besides its own brand of humor. The music stages are great fun, definitely worth playing for those alone. You do need a Nunchuk, though, but just one is enough, and everybody has that.

Wario Ware's quick burst gameplay actually seems to a little of a detriment. It takes some time to get into the game's pace and style, as well as the invidual minigames, whereas Rayman is a little easier to approach even for the newcomer. Wario is fun as well, but I would keep it as a secondary choice after Rayman.

Then there are other games that aren't exactly minigames, but could be fun in a party nevertheless, like Excite Truck and Virtual Console's Bomberman 93.

katz
06-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Well, I can't say anything about WarioWare or Mario Party 8, but I had fun with Rayman. The Rabbids are awesome.

Deadguy2322
06-07-2007, 05:52 AM
The best Wii game is eBay profiteering.

TheSL
06-07-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm really partial to Cooking Mama, personally. The girlfriend and I sunk probably 100+ hours into that game.

thomp538
06-07-2007, 10:24 AM
The best Wii game is eBay profiteering.
I tried this with PS3 and fail :(

tungwene
06-07-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm really partial to Cooking Mama, personally. The girlfriend and I sunk probably 100+ hours into that game.It's quite possible I put in just as many hours into the DS version. For some unexplainable reason, it was the only thing I played for three weeks and I felt so disgusted with myself afterwards. I'm staying away from the Wii version for that reason, at least for now.

Red Hedgehog
06-07-2007, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the help, guys. WarioWare seems to have the best recommendations so far, so I think I'll try to find Twilight Princess, Super Paper Mario, and Wario Ware used at an EBStop to take advantage of their Buy 2 Get 1 Free Sale.

So no one has any experience with the Wii Madden? I'll probably wait until the 08 edition, but I am intrigued by using waggle to play.