PDA

View Full Version : Let's Play Sandbox and Critique Thread

Pages : [1] 2

PapillonReel
04-14-2009, 05:17 PM
I figure we could use a thread like this since we don't really have a place for formal critique in the subforum. Anyway, this thread is more along the lines of stylistic help rather than technical, so if you want to try a test post to work out the kinks in your Let's Play, or just want a solid critique on a thread that's already running, feel free to post here and ask for comments. Just remember to keep it polite, and roll with the punches if the criticism isn't entirely positive.

Falselogic
04-15-2009, 01:00 PM
Serious question though: Is this only for solicited critiques or are unsolicited ones welcome as well?

PapillonReel
04-15-2009, 01:04 PM
Serious question though: Is this only for solicited critiques or are unsolicited ones welcome as well?

Solicited only, please. Having a thread for calling other writers out for their flaws leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, what with it being behind the back and all.

spineshark
04-15-2009, 01:17 PM
I'd be interested in some thoughts on my LP's, especially ToP since I still have lots of time to do better on it. (I don't need to be told that I update too slow, I know and have bad excuses (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=447661#post447661)) Am I explaining things well enough? Should I try to be funnier? I feel like I write too much in general, but I also look at some of my posts and see a picture with one line of text or so and wonder if maybe I'm not writing enough about certain things.

McClain
04-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I tend to leave feedback in the actual LP as it's going on... I'm not sure what could be said here that wouldn't be more useful there.

Rai
04-15-2009, 01:35 PM
Ah, yeah, I'm curious as to what people are thinking as well. I know I haven't been the most.... punctual, but there should be enough entries for some decent criticism.

Octopus Prime
04-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Ah, yeah, I'm curious as to what people are thinking as well. I know I haven't been the most.... punctual, but there should be enough entries for some decent criticism.

For what it's worth, as rare as the updates are, they're worth the wait.

DarkBlueFlannel
04-15-2009, 02:10 PM
Should I be doing videos of the boss fights for MMBN? I was tempted to switch to a 85% video format (post-producing the random battles out), but I'm afraid that some people might prefer the screenshot version.

PapillonReel
04-15-2009, 02:18 PM
I'd be interested in some thoughts on my LP's, especially ToP since I still have lots of time to do better on it. (I don't need to be told that I update too slow, I know and have bad excuses (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?p=447661#post447661)) Am I explaining things well enough? Should I try to be funnier? I feel like I write too much in general, but I also look at some of my posts and see a picture with one line of text or so and wonder if maybe I'm not writing enough about certain things.

Hmm... I don't really feel there's a problem with your commentary itself - you explain things clearly and your jokes fly well enough (Gnome Rockets!) - but rather it seems like you're skimming over a lot of stuff as you play through ToP. The boat scene, for example, really stands out since you jump right from Arche's dream scene to the fight with Mayer with only a small summary of events to fill in the context. It's good that you're summarizing, but I think you might be leaning a bit too much to the other extreme and a more in-depth look into the game might better benefit it in the long-run.

spineshark
04-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Mmm, thanks. I don't really like writing the plot summaries in this game so much (I've really enjoyed the last couple updates) and that scene in particular I had a hard time figuring out, since the last thing it needs is me beating the jokes into the ground, plus I figured if any scene in the game would be recognized by most people it'd be that one. I'll keep that all in mind in the future though.

rockintomordor
04-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Should I be doing videos of the boss fights for MMBN? I was tempted to switch to a 85% video format (post-producing the random battles out), but I'm afraid that some people might prefer the screenshot version.

Oh my goodness, yes. You should definitely have video boss fights, if nothing else. This would not only be entertaining, but it would give people who may not fully understand the combat system's pacing a glimpse into how it works, especially in boss battles, which tend to be the most varied and interesting.

Rai
04-15-2009, 08:20 PM
I have a question. Two, actually. Who here is willing to try out a grand experiment before it turns into an actual LP?

The second related question is: Who here likes Fluxx?

(Also, it's good to hear that people are enjoying the updates. Very, very good. More input is always welcome though.)

Lucas
04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
I would experiment, and I have played Fluxx before and wouldn't be opposed to playing it again in the name of science.

Alixsar
04-15-2009, 09:30 PM
Ocarina of Time. What's wrong with it? I keep getting the feeling that something is missing, but I don't know if it's just me being a perfectionist or if it really is. I think I swear too much (in the videos anyway). Which is weird, since I don't really swear THAT much...but beyond that, what's wrong with it? What would you like to see more or less of?

Elfir
04-16-2009, 03:33 AM
I have a question. Two, actually. Who here is willing to try out a grand experiment before it turns into an actual LP?

The second related question is: Who here likes Fluxx?

Yes and yes. Have played Fluxx original and Monty Python Fluxx.

Chrononauts would be another interesting card game to attempt.

DarkBlueFlannel
04-16-2009, 06:31 AM
Ocarina of Time. What's wrong with it? I keep getting the feeling that something is missing, but I don't know if it's just me being a perfectionist or if it really is. I think I swear too much (in the videos anyway). Which is weird, since I don't really swear THAT much...but beyond that, what's wrong with it? What would you like to see more or less of?

I feel the same way about MMBN, well, except the swearing part. I've come to grips with the fact that, no matter how I do it, some people will like it more and others won't. But, I really don't want serious criticism, at this point, I don't think I'm man enough to accept. For one, I think you're doing a really good job. But, I understand that mentality that keeps telling you that you could do better.

About the swearing, if you think you swear too much then stop. I've read some on SA's archive that have so much that I started questioning the creator's intelligence. But, yours is nowhere near that point.

Elfir
04-16-2009, 06:56 AM

It's great, except that I can't watch videos at work and thus only catch up every couple weeks. I don't think you swear too much, though after Brickroad's careful avoidance of swearing it stands out a bit by comparison.

Kirin
04-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Oh my goodness, yes. You should definitely have video boss fights, if nothing else. This would not only be entertaining, but it would give people who may not fully understand the combat system's pacing a glimpse into how it works, especially in boss battles, which tend to be the most varied and interesting.

It's good to keep in mind, though, that videos (or at least, going video-exclusive) will limit the audience. Quite a few people read the forum from someplace where watching videos is impossible or problematic, or are trying to read quickly and you can't really speed-read a video.

OTOH, if DBF kept the level of boss description currently in the thread and *added* videos, that would be gravy. Optional videos (where the thread is still understandable without them) are sweet.

DeeMer
04-17-2009, 07:48 PM
This may just be a personal thing, but I'm finding I just don't have time to watch the videos; TT already takes me about 2.5 hours to catch up with every other night and I only get 4 hours of free time a day, so I wouldn't mind less videos and more on text work.

Alixsar
04-17-2009, 09:30 PM
Well, I try to limit videos to really special moments in the game where screenshots wouldn't do it justice (mostly boss fights but a few other spots as well)...but I have made some in the past that I felt were a bit unnecessary. Alright, I can tone it down a bit.

The Dread Cthulhu
04-18-2009, 12:36 AM
I feel like there's something missing in Soul Blazer. I don't know if it's the audience participation, or if it's just entires have to be pretty samey due to the 'kill monsters, seal lair, release soul' nature of the game. Would it be improved by putting that into an appendix or something?

DarkBlueFlannel
04-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I tried doing a video version of my upcoming Entry #8. Either I don't have the right abilities or the game just isn't conducive to it but I couldn't get it to work without long gaps of Lan standing still while I talked. It's probably better this way.

I'll try it with just boss battles, though, and see how that goes.

Eddie
04-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Hey! I wanted to let everyone know that I made a workaround for that whole 'left-aligned centering' thing I was trying to do. For example:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/Ashdate/battle02_01s.jpg

Ramza: Why...?

Delita's name appears for
the first time a year before
the Lion War broke out.

Many soldiers who returned from the war,
had no jobs, little money,
and even less loyalty to the crown.

Many became thieves and
rebels plotting rebellion
against the royal family.

At that time robbery and
murder were commonplace in Ivalice.
Many heroes and
wizards came out of there.
And Gariland was no exception either.

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/Ashdate/battle02_02s.jpg

(Scene: A group of students are gathered in an meeting
hall, gossiping to each other about the latest news. A
young Ramza and Delita are among them. They are the
future members of the Hokuten Knights.)

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss297/Ashdate/battle02_03s.jpg

Cadet: Must have been the Death Corps...

Of course it's still not a PERFECT solution; the centered italicized stuff from the second graph will look very strange on a resolution that isn't 1024x768. The rest should look fine tho.

Anyway, in case anyone wants to know how to do it (and is too lazy to quote my post to find out), you can use the [/indent] code to do it.

I also wanted to mention that while I did get a few people asking for larger screenshots, I think I'm going to stick to the 400x300 size you see above. I think it just looks the best stylistically.

Can't wait for my chance to jump in the queue!

- Eddie

Brickroad
04-20-2009, 08:42 PM
Re: swearing in videos.

Personally, I think it's tacky. I've seen a couple LPs where cuss words are just a natural part of the player's dialogue and so it fits just fine, but the majority use bad words for giggles or because they can't think of anything else to say. I've seen way too many videos that replace "um" with "fuckin'". Observe:

"I just... fuckin'... was trying to get that fuckin'... that power-up and fuckin'... a fish jumps out of fuckin' NOWHERE and fuckin' knocks me in the hole. Fuck! That kind of shit... fuckin'... fuckin' pisses me off."

Aside from that, though, I always envision some kid finding one of my videos on YouTube and thinking it's funny and then showing it to their parents. That has probably never happened ever but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside thinking about it.

For my part, I believe willing myself to keep the language clean forces me to focus more on what I'm saying, so not only do I not have a potty mouth but I really feel like I ramble less and have less worthless dead air. (I'm probably completely wrong about that though.)

Dart Zaidyer
04-20-2009, 09:43 PM
Re: swearing in videos.

Agreed on all points. You can be so much more verbose and interesting when you're trying to avoid it.
Hey, it works for me.

TK Flash
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Re: Soul Blazer

I think the general nature of the game leaves little room for audience participation. I am truly enjoying Soul Blazer so don't get discouraged. I personally would like to hear a bit more on why SB is a special game to you as you go through it.

PapillonReel
04-23-2009, 04:17 AM
Final Fantasy Tactics

I like what you're planning for the game, but you should just drop the centering entirely, honestly. No one really cares if the text stretches past the edge of the screenshot, so the extra formatting just looks weird compared to the standard left-align text, to say nothing of the wasted effort you'd have to go through with each write-up in the first place. There's really nothing to be gained from the formatting, so don't worry about how it looks when written up normally.

Lucas
05-09-2009, 08:09 PM
I have a problem with my Escape Velocity LP in that I really don't feel I'm doing the game justice. The magic - or at least the initial attraction - of it is largely in the action, but that's next to impossible to convey in still images. Gifs could help with that, but combat tends to be either a boring negligible cakewalk or a thrilling seat-of-your-pants adventure, and during the latter I can't spare the fingers to hit the screenshot button (my keyboard can only handle three keys being pressed at one time; working the thrusters takes up two keys leaving only one key for combat controls and screenshots, which isn't enough by a long shot).

The bottom line of all this is that while I'm weaving between railgun shots and outwitting missile tracking systems while fighting off pirates and everyone else, my loyal readers are only getting boring walls of text. I've been trying to figure out a way improve on this, but the best solution I've come up with so far is to somehow take video of combat and post it to youtube with annotations dart_zaidyer-style (assuming youtube videos can show enough detail to let people know what's going on).

I could set irfanview to automatically take screenshots and make a lot of animated gifs, but I'd have to be willing to either let it take a thousand or two useless pictures each session or constantly switch it between auto and manual screenshotting, neither of which is an especially exciting prospect (if there was a key command to toggle that without having to open up irfanview, that would be gravy; haven't found one yet though). I'd appreciate any suggestions.

McClain
05-09-2009, 08:18 PM
I have no problem with swearing in videos, in general, but I don't like it when "Fuck" is used every other word. But I feel the same way about people saying "like" over and over again, so it has less to do with saying fuck and more to do with speaking well. Not everyone can do live commentary. If you need to, take the time to write down what you want to say first, or just record dialogue later.

I really like the videos. Brick's doing a great job with his high-speed demonstrations. I only kind of wish you would do a running thread like with the Ocarina of Time LP (though that is hybrid, not all video.). It would be fun to be able to follow along and talk about it between videos (though I know that wouldn't work with a lot of the stuff you are doing high-speed). Just an idea. There are LPs that are meant to show off and there are LPs that are meant to be a discussion, so maybe there's something you can do on video that we can discuss along the way.

Pajaro Pete
06-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey, this is unsolicited, but its kinda open to everyone because I've noticed it in a bunch of places:

At the end of an update, could you guys put some sort of conclusion? Just a little something to let the readers know the update is over. A lot of times they just sorta end and it's hard to discern if its just a post break because of image/character limit or if you're done with the update.

I'm not asking for a whole lot, just a little "Next Time: WACKY THINGS HAPPEN" or "To be continued..."

Also: Criticism (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=5082) is welcome (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=7130) on either I've done, so I'll know what not to do when I finally start a new one. Commenting on the quality of the translation in the Persona LP isn't that helpful, since I clearly bit off more than I could chew and vastly underestimated the difference between understanding and translating.

Falselogic
07-09-2009, 11:27 AM
Just beginning to prep for my fist LP... I wanted to ask how many people here are familiar with the Space Quest series? and is there something you're looking for out of the LP? I'll be throwing in all the trivia I know and running perfect score games... Also considering at least for the first game, showing every possible way you could die as the real funny stuff in the game comes when you die...

Just wondering what would appeal to the TT LP crowd

PapillonReel
07-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I've never seen any of the Space Quest games before, so a thorough run would be right up my alley, trivia and all.

PapillonReel
08-14-2009, 11:43 AM
All righty, so: Persona 3. How's my driving? It's been a while since I've seriously worked on an LP and I think I might've gotten a little rusty over the break. Any thoughts?

Falselogic
09-24-2009, 10:26 AM
Just asking what people are thinking of the SQ1 LP so far? Things you like? Things you don't? Changes you'd like to see when I start the next one?

comments in thread have been kind of sparse so I'm asking here. Should I make SQ2 and 3 more interactive and ask TT what I should do?

Eddie
09-24-2009, 10:39 AM
I think most early adventure games are generally too obtuse to really ask for reader input personally. People who've played the game have a pretty good idea of what to do, while those who haven't don't have the luxury of loading your save and messing around to find a solution. You don't even have the luxury of a limited command set like you do in later Space Quest games (or a game like Shadowgate) to narrow things along; who knows what the text parser is looking for?

Adventure games without a very good story I think are the funnest to read when you're talking about all the deaths. I think you've done a pretty good job so far, so keep at it!

- Eddie

Falselogic
09-30-2009, 11:26 AM
Double posting because I didn't know where best to put this and to solicit more responses:

Should I do Space Quest 2 and 3 in the same thread as Space Quest 1, or is it better for each game to have its own?

PapillonReel
09-30-2009, 01:00 PM
Should I do Space Quest 2 and 3 in the same thread as Space Quest 1, or is it better for each game to have its own?

Same thread plz. If you want to make sure there's easy access to each, a table of contents in the first post should do.

Falselogic
09-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Same thread plz. If you want to make sure there's easy access to each, a table of contents in the first post should do.

Thanks! That is what I'll do then!

Eddie
10-05-2009, 08:53 PM
I'm thinking that my FFT thread might need some spice added to the mixture. I know lots of people are reading the thing, but hardly anyone is commenting these days! I know this is probably a result of some measures I took to save myself time, but now I long for the days when people used to bicker in my thread. I miss the conflict.

Any suggestions?

- Eddie

Lucas
10-05-2009, 09:17 PM
That's easy. Make statements based on opinion as if they were fact. Doesn't even have to be a real opinion! Just say that behemoths are the best monster or something, someone will glom onto it and start a "debate." You want conflict? Stir it up yourself!
May not actually be good advice.

ThricebornPhoenix
10-06-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking that my FFT thread might need some spice added to the mixture. I know lots of people are reading the thing, but hardly anyone is commenting these days!
I don't know that there's much to say right now. I feel that, between the gameplay and the plot, Chapter 2 is the game's lowest point. Maybe your thread will pick up again when the game does?

Destil
10-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Any suggestions?

- EddieActually, I been trying to restrain myself from posting too much and clogging up the thread with irrelevant chat. Also, sometimes (like right now), I don't post because I'm not sure if you're working on doing a new post right after your existing one, the look better without extra junk between them. Keep it up man, it's the best thread on TT (of course FFT is my favroite game of all time, but you do it justice)!

Brickroad
10-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Actually, I been trying to restrain myself from posting too much and clogging up the thread with irrelevant chat.

This. I tend not to post much in the LPs I keep up with as it is, but the FFT thread in particular is so well-presented I can't imagine improving it with chatter.

Eddie
10-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I don't post because I'm not sure if you're working on doing a new post right after your existing one, the look better without extra junk between them.

If you see "to be continued" at the end of a post, that is my signal that my latest update has ended, so post away!

I guess I'm going to have to take Lucas's advice then.

SO GUYS: BARD: BEST CLASS, OR GREATEST CLASS?

- Eddie

p.s. I don't mind irrelevant chat, it keeps having to load several updates on one page.

Lucas
11-07-2009, 01:03 PM
I annotated my EV Nova test video on youtube. Too much of an info dump? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw2CX48uHtU)

Obviously I can't switch entirely to a video LP and use annotations for the whole thing (or can I?); I'm trying to figure out a way to use mainly the video but explain strategies and the like in more depth on the forum. "More info" annotations that link back to TT, maybe?

Were people actually enjoying the narrative portion of the LP? It's tempting to just drop that entirely.

Eddie
11-09-2009, 07:01 AM
I think the annotations are really helpful, but if you can't get your own voice in there you should at least throw in some sort of music. Sound effects would be really helpful if you can manage em.

- Eddie

MetManMas
02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm interested in possibly taking my Wario Land Let's Play in a different direction when I get back to it, probably of the video kind. What's the best format to record them in, and how do I apply those 'lil pop-up notes over the video?

I'm also interested in feedback on the two updates I've done so far. I think I might've gone a bit overboard with the Strong Bad-like Wario dialogue and using a ton of pictures for single levels.

TK Flash
03-02-2010, 09:42 PM
Hey I loved the two Wario updates. They were fun and interesting to read. I think Wario and Strong Bad have pretty much the same character anyway so I was okay with the portrayal.

Cutting back a bit on the comments and pictures and making it a lighter LP would probably be just fine.

Alpha Werewolf
03-03-2010, 11:28 AM
Guys, this is strange shit.

I was about to start recording my DOOM LP, and discovered that apparently the very first level is fucked up. That is, the exit room is... wrong. I can't go to the second level without the console.

I can try to obtain another version, and the rest of the game is fine, but it may take some time. What would you guys prefer?

PandaBreeder
03-03-2010, 01:51 PM
All righty, so: Persona 3. How's my driving? It's been a while since I've seriously worked on an LP and I think I might've gotten a little rusty over the break. Any thoughts?
I think it's awesome, but I do have two bits of criticism:
1. Not enough dick jokes: It is accepted by the Royal Academy of Let's Playing that dick jokes are essential to the success of any LP. The fact that you're Let's Play is so great even without them proves your talent and sophistication as an LPer. But just imagine how great it would be with them. You'd be at the same level as the greats (Chewbot, Stiv, Dark Id, etc.)
2. You must update twice a day. No exceptions.

Netbrian
03-03-2010, 02:02 PM

This is a bit late, but I think I'd prefer LPs done in the third person, rather than in the first person. It'd also be nice if you went just a bit easier on recurring gags, like Mitsuru and conspiracies.

Kirin
03-04-2010, 09:07 AM
Contrariwise, I actually quite liked the P3 bits narrated by MC.

Kalir
03-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Not sure how to handle cutscenes in my upcoming LP. My inclination is just to get the youTubes to link to them and summarize them in text format, but I could also take screenshots of the more dramatic/hilarious moments and comment on them in turn. Thoughts?

Alpha Werewolf
03-14-2010, 10:12 PM
Not sure how to handle cutscenes in my upcoming LP. My inclination is just to get the youTubes to link to them and summarize them in text format, but I could also take screenshots of the more dramatic/hilarious moments and comment on them in turn. Thoughts?

Easy. Do BOTH.

Knight
04-18-2010, 05:52 PM
So I'm trying out some different settings for my Pokemon Platinum LP, and I wanted to see if you guys think it looks better with or without that separator bar. Also, the water looks off because the emulator has some issues with rendering 3D. Some stuff looks fine, like the houses and trees, but other stuff, like water and battle animations, don't look right, but are serviceable.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/NuzPlat/Test1.png http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/NuzPlat/Test2.png

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/NuzPlat/Test3.png http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/NuzPlat/Test4.png

PapillonReel
04-18-2010, 05:56 PM
It looks better without the line, I'd say. Having that black bar there is a little distracting when you're scanning over the images posted.

Sky Render
04-25-2010, 10:35 PM
Well, I'm at a bit of a crossroads now, and I'd like to get a few opinions on this. Both King's Quest VII and Final Fantasy V are queued up for me to LP, and I could easily start either one in the next convenient time slot (ie. June or August). However, I'd like to hear some opinions on which I should tackle first.

If I tackle KQ7, it'll finish up my ongoing LP series of the later King's Quest games, but have basically no room for reader/viewer interaction since the LP would pretty much have to be in video form. If I tackle FF5, it'll be a much longer LP with a lot more user interaction, but KQ7 will take the back burner and probably won't get started until after FF5 is done (which could easily take 7 months to LP properly; FF5 is not exactly a small game).

Weigh in if you would please, I'd like to hear some opinions on this. Thank you.

Brickroad
04-25-2010, 11:23 PM
Do the video one first.

Sky Render
04-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I may have run into a bit of a stumbling block with KQ7, actually. See, the game was designed to only run in Windows, and only in 256-color mode. Which no video card made after 2005 even supports any more (my choices are 16-bit or 32-bit color; no 8-bit color option in sight). I'll look for a patch to fix this, of course (and check to see if I can find a copy of KQ Collection, since I hear it doesn't have that problem), but if I can't find any, this is going to make things difficult...

Mazian
04-25-2010, 11:39 PM
I may have run into a bit of a stumbling block with KQ7, actually. See, the game was designed to only run in Windows, and only in 256-color mode.

This page (http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/KingsQuest/KQ7Help.html) claims to offer DOSBox installers even for a Windows original disc.

Sky Render
04-25-2010, 11:42 PM
This page (http://www.sierrahelp.com/Games/KingsQuest/KQ7Help.html) claims to offer DOSBox installers even for a Windows original disc.

Funny, I was just there. Likely that'll solve it, but I won't be able to say for sure right away. I do know, however, that my copy of KQ7 is a first-run release of the game, so this will test their actual compatibility in that regard.

Kirin
04-26-2010, 07:45 AM
Since you're asking, I'm more excited by FFV (especially if you're doing the GBA version since I've never seen the new classes in action), and it's harder for me to find time to watch video LPs. But the KQ runs are fun too.

Pajaro Pete
04-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Now I'm building sandcastles in the saaaand, and it's only something I'm thinking about doing but I'm not sure yet. (The real thing would actually include pictures)

Good evening, and welcome. Please, make yourselves comfortable. We don't have much time for pleasantries, so we're going to get right down to business: You've been assembled here because you've been chosen to act as Emperor Leon of Varennes's Cabinet. As you may have heard around town, we, the Holy Empire of Varennes, have recently adopted... well, let's call it a more aggressive foreign policy. We seek to extend our influence across the world, uniting the entire planet under the Glorious Banner of Varennes.

Of course, you must understand, as the Emperor does, that a worldwide empire does not spring up overnight. As they say, "Avalon wasn't built in a day." We have made peace with the fact that it is unlikely we will be able to complete the global unification within our lifetime.

We take solace in the fact that no matter what the circumstance, our goals will never be forgotten. It is not yet common knowledge, but Emperor Leon was recently gifted with a special magic: The "Blessing of Succession." Upon the death of an Emperor, the sum total of his knowledge - his memories, his dreams, his strength - are passed on to his heir, so they may carry on his will. Thanks to the Blessing of Succession, Emperor Leon's dream will never die and one day, no matter how distant, the Holy Empire of Varennes will rule the entire world.

The Emperor has wisely pointed out that, when this day comes, Varennes will need a ruler who is both wise and powerful, someone capable of maintaining control over an empire that the sun can never set on. Thanks to the Blessing of Succession, throughout the years we will be able to forge a fitting leader. For your first duty as members of the Emperor's Cabinet, I want you to imagine what sort of person this leader will be:

A man or a woman? What name would be fitting of the leader of the world? For some reason, the Emperor has strict guidelines that the name shall not exceed eight Japanese characters, either hiragana or katakana.

This leader would most assuredly be a master of both magic and arms, but what should their specialty be? Please, discuss it amongst yourselves over dinner, and afterwards, we can continue and I will explain why Emperor Leon was unable to attend this meeting as well as our plans for the immediate future.

Falselogic
04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
WALL OF TEXT

Is this for Master of Magic or some other sort of Civ like game? I'm confused.

DarkBlueFlannel
05-19-2010, 11:36 AM
It's still over three months until my Clocktower LP will begin but I'd like to get whatever feedback I can on a couple of ideas well before then.

First, for those who aren't familiar with the game, it's not a traditional survival horror. It draws far more inspiration from point-and-click adventures. This is what makes it such an interesting game. This also presents a question: since it is more of an adventure/puzzle game do I play it myself or do I let the people tell me where to go a la Brickroad's RHEM playthrough? The puzzles aren't exactly difficult in CT but since the game's multiple endings are decided by the player's actions, I think it would be more interesting having the group decide which direction I go.

If I do the game with viewer feedback as above, once it's finished I will do a video of the entire playthrough straight through with or without commentary depending on everyone's preference. (I'll admit this would be more of a video-production project for my own education rather than a simple recording of our playthrough. So, expect overdone post-production.)

Secondly, if I do the audience participation game, should I go ahead, afterwards, and show all the endings and procedures for getting them?

Eddie
05-19-2010, 12:14 PM
Secondly, if I do the audience participation game, should I go ahead, afterwards, and show all the endings and procedures for getting them?

I don't think there's enough people on the board to really do much with audience participation. Well, let me rephrase that: you won't be able to have the audience participate outside of very simple questions. Take a look at OctoPrime's LPs for what I feel is pretty much the best audience participation you can expect out of the boards here.

That isn't meant to be a slight against Octo or his audience! I'm just saying that relying on the audience to make indepth decisions for you may not work out as well as you might think.

- Eddie

TheSL
05-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Yeah, audience participation has only really worked well in my LPs when I stop at arbitrary points and say "hey everyone, suggest what to do next from this list." I've noticed its best to leave at least a week between posting the question and the next update works well to get a decent amount of response.

Dawnswalker
05-19-2010, 12:25 PM
I don't think there's enough people on the board to really do much with audience participation. Well, let me rephrase that: you won't be able to have the audience participate outside of very simple questions. Take a look at OctoPrime's LPs for what I feel is pretty much the best audience participation you can expect out of the boards here.

That isn't meant to be a slight against Octo or his audience! I'm just saying that relying on the audience to make indepth decisions for you may not work out as well as you might think.

- Eddie

This. Not to mention that even though Clocktower is a bit more point-and-clicky than most horror games, that much micromanagement would bring the entire thing to a dull slog.

I've never actually played Clocktower, so I don't know if this is possible, but if the game ever gives you an actual branching point (e.g. Do I go to the Inevitably Haunted Woods or to the Inevitably Haunted Tool Shed?) that would be a better way to include the audience.

DarkBlueFlannel
05-19-2010, 12:52 PM
I don't know if it will change anything but the game is extremely short. For reference, I've done four playthroughs to get four different endings so far. Each playthough, probably clocked in around 30 minutes. I will admit that part of that is I know exactly where I'm going and I was fast-forwarding Jennifer's excruciatingly slow walking.

Without giving much away, there aren't so much "branching paths" as much as the game is "beatable" in a number of ways. These different ways of winning the game aren't things the average player is going to pick up on through normal play because they involve things like specifically going over here and getting that thing-a-ma-do-dad first or evading that scene in that one room. It's very obtuse but intentionally so because the game is to be approached as though every playthrough can be different. Anyway, because of the obtuseness, you guys may be right about not having so much audience participation.

Eddie
05-19-2010, 01:06 PM
If the game is anything like the PSX Clocktower, I'd show off the places to hide and ways to avoid the Scissordude.

- Eddie

DarkBlueFlannel
05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
If the game is anything like the PSX Clocktower, I'd show off

For a few seconds, I honestly thought that was the entire statement. I was thinking, "Show off? How?"

Anyway, yes, I'll be doing that.

Nyarlathotep
05-20-2010, 10:28 AM
So I'm thinking about using some Gifs in my LP. Not a ton of them, but just a few to show parts where there's more than just two frames of animation, which doesn't happen a whole lot.

How should I limit myself on that? I know some people complain that having a lot gifs slows down their computer a lot, so I don't want to go overboard.

TheSL
05-20-2010, 10:39 AM
A few gifs never hurt anyone, but if you have a lot of them on the screen at once I find it rather distracting to read around.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c74/TheSL/Pokemon%20Shiny%20Gold/KOGA.gif

Kirin
05-21-2010, 08:03 AM
Worst case, if there's a lot that are useful, you could always include the first one or two and then link the rest to avoid slowing down people's browsers. I love pixel-art gif animations, myself.

Sky Render
07-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Looking over my PC games, I have so many adventure games on my shelves, it's downright ludicrous. Seriously, I haven't even LPed a third of my collection yet (though over a third of my collection has been LPed on Talking Time). Some of them are so obscure that I'm not sure I've even heard of them! So this seems a golden opportunity to give you, my potential audience, first pick of which games I should tackle at some point in the indeterminate future. Games are sorted from most serious to least serious, plot-wise.

Please keep in mind that these are synopses, not official claims. These games are open for anyone who wants to tackle them, I'm just bringing them up since they constitute the sum of my adventure game collection.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/gabriel_knight.png

A chain of ritualistic murders in the heart of New Orleans. A down-on-his-luck author. A mystery to be solved, a destiny to be wrought, a whole lot of inventory items to be futilely rubbed against everything on the screen in the vain hope of solving the next puzzle, an adventure to be had. This is where the Gabriel Knight saga begins.

LPing Options: Screenshot or Video

The 7th Guest
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/7th_guest.png

Old Man Stauf built a house, and filled it with his toys.
Six guests were invited one night, their screams the only noise.
Blood inside the library, blood right up the hall.
Dripping down the attic stairs, hey guests, try not to fall.
Nobody came out that night, not one was ever seen.
But Old Man Stauf is waiting there, crazy, sick, AND MEAN!

LPing Options: Video only

Full Throttle
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/full_throttle.png

It's half past the Apocalypse, and society's gone the way of the dodo for the most part. At least we finally have our hovercars, right? Anyway, motorcycle gangs like the Polecats now roam the wastelands, while the last bastions of civilization struggle to stay alive. An unlikely meet-up between the motorcycle manufacturer Malcolm Corley and the Polecats leader Ben leads to a mad chase to find a killer and protect the future of Corley Motors. A game by Tim Schafer, which may or may not mean anything to you.

Ripley's Believe it or Not: The Riddle of Master Lu
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/ripley.png

During the lull between World War I and II, famed explorer and cartoonist Robert Ripley finds himself caught up in a mess of intrigue as an attempt is made to assassinate him. He quickly finds himself embroiled in a quest to uncover the secrets of the First Emperor of China, and discover if there truly ever was an Elixir of Life.

Shannara
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/shannara.png

Based loosely off of the fantasy novel series by Terry Brooks, Shannara takes place shortly after the first published novel (The Sword of Shannara). Jak Ohmsford, the son of the hero Shea Ohmsford, finds himself wishing he could have a grand adventure himself. Soon he gets more than he bargained for when the mysterious Druid Allanon appears and informs him that he's needed to protect the Four Lands from destruction by the rebirth of the Warlock Lord.

Death Gate
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/death_gate.png

Based loosely off of the fantasy novel series by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, Death Gate is a semi-amalgamation of about 4 novels in the series. The Patryn Haplo, long trapped in the Labyrinth that his kind have been condemned to for generations, escapes the infernal prison at last with the aid of Lord Xar. Xar then sends Haplo on a mission: discover the lost Seal Pieces, bring them back to the Vortex, and bring about the Reformation of the sundered world.

Companions of Xanth
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/xanth.png

Based loosely off of the fantasy novel series by Piers Anthony, Companions of Xanth is most derivative of Demons Don't Dream. You recently purchased a video game about some place called Xanth (how meta), and suddenly you've found yourself in Xanth! Choose your companion, and adventure forth to claim the ultimate prize: a Talent that will make you a worthy resident of Xanth!

Return to Zork
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/zork.png

This is one of the granddaddies of adventure game series, and Return to Zork is where the series finally went full-on visual. Morpheus, an unknown but powerful entity, is terrorizing the Great Underground Empire's dreams. You have been spirited away to the Valley of the Sparrows Vultures to stop Morpheus from destroying Zork entirely.

NOTE: These next three would have to be LPed in sequence, for obvious reasons.

Secret of Monkey Island (SE or Original)
Original:
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/somi.png
Special Edition:
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/somi_se.png

Guybrush Threepwood really wants to be a pirate (though he looks more like a flooring inspector). So he's come to Melee Island(TM) to seek his fame and fortune. But unbeknownst to him, a plot is being cooked up by the zombie pirate LeChuck, and he's about to unwittingly get mixed up in the whole mess. Will he ever uncover the Secret of Monkey Island(TM)? You'll just have to see for yourself...

Monkey Island II: LeChuk's Revenge
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/mi2.png

Guybrush has attained his goal and become a pirate (though not especially mighty). An unfortunate twist of events, however, has left him once more with a quest to destroy his now-arch-nemesis, LeChuck. Will he succeed, or will LeChuck have the last laugh?

(No I don't have the Spanish version; that was the first decent screenshot I could find online is all.)

Curse of Monkey Island
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/comi.png

After the events of the previous game, Guybrush shortly finds himself washed ashore on the island of Puerto Pollo with a new problem: he's accidentally turned his love Elaine into a solid gold statue! Now he has to undo the curse on her, whatever that may entail.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/willy_beamish.png

It's not easy being a kid, especially if you're Willy Beamish. Join this lovable rapscallion on his summer vacation as he has to deal with the most extremist parents ever, a frog-jumping contest, the trials and tribulations of twelve-year-old love triangles, school bullies who don't know how to quit, and an evil plot by the local artificial sweetener company to take over the whole town.

Sky Render
07-12-2010, 10:12 AM
The B-Squad List

These are games I will LP only if demand is overwhelming. Because of all the adventure games I own, these are definitely the worst of the worst.

Lighthouse
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/lighthouse.png

A sudden storm one night causes you, the unnamed protagonist and author who's recently moved to Astoria, Oregon, to have to look after your eccentric vaguely Russian neighbor's baby daughter. Events transpire that quickly get you mixed up in an interdimensional quest to save both your neighbor and his daughter.

Why I Hate It: It's an uninspired Myst clone that paradoxically looks worse than Myst does. Only it has Sierra's own personal brand of moon logic and dick moves to make the whole experience hell on earth. Oh, and it takes itself way, way, WAY more seriously than any Myst clone deserves.

Quantum Gate
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/qgate.png

Mankind has royally screwed itself over and reduced Earth to a state of soon-to-be-dead. But fortunately, you're part of a military organization hell-bent on destroying some evil nasty mean aliens who just happen to have what it is that mankind needs to survive. I'm sure you can guess what the story's ultimate twist will be.

Why I Hate It: It's not even a game. It's an "interactive novel", meaning you are quite literally on rails as you get led about from plot point to plot point. The story is somewhat interesting, granted, but it's so cliche'd, and the actors are beyond horrible. If you thought Sierra made bad casting decisions, you should see how awful this title's performers are.

The Journeyman Project Turbo
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/journeyman.png

You take the role of a sort of space/time repairman, who has just come into the job to discover that someone bumraped the continuum while you were in the shower this morning and it's up to you to fix it. Don't you just have all the luck? Naturally, the problems in space and time all seem to be related to one another in decidedly unlikely ways, and it's up to you to not only fix them, but also to apprehend whomever is responsible, all while not screwing over space and time yourself.

Why I Hate It: On top of looking like it was put together by a first-year Comp Sci student, it's derivative, it has bad acting, it uses moon logic, and it panders to the developer by having puzzles that you basically can't solve unless you've already solved them or designed them yourself.

Riven: The Sequel to Myst
http://www.skyrender.net/lp/riven.png

After you rescued Atrus from his perpetual imprisonment in D'ni, Atrus said that he would have need of your services again some day. Well that day is today, as Atrus has finally located his beloved wife: she's been kidnapped by his evil father Genn, and is being held hostage on the Age of Riven. Atrus has sent you in to save her.

Why I Hate It: It's the sequel to Myst. Do I really need to say more than that? Just like with Myst, the puzzles are of the makes-sense-in-retrospect variety, ie. you'll never solve them without a hint book handy. Also, it's on 5 BLOODY DISCS. I am NOT swapping discs that frequently, thank you.

Mr Bean
07-14-2010, 07:42 PM
Personally, I'd say go for one of the more obscure games in the list. Riddle of Master Lu or Shannara look like they might be interesting.

Just about any of the Lucasarts games are excellent, but if you decide to do one of those, I'd say go video for anything with voice work - Curse of Monkey Island especially. Everyone deserves to see and hear the full glory of the musical number at the beginning of disc 2.

Riven has a special place in my heart just because I puzzled my way through it with nothing but a pad of paper and my wits. I enjoyed just losing myself in the world, piecing together all the little disparate bits and background into something resembling a cohesive narrative. The disc swapping was a pain in the ass, but if you can find a copy of the anniversary edition, it condenses the 5 CDs down to a single DVD - much easier to manage.

Dawnswalker
07-15-2010, 12:18 AM
I'll second Shannara. I don't think I've ever seen an LP of that before, and it's been years since I've read any of the books.

Falselogic
07-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Willy beamish.

Always wanted to play it never managed to

Kirin
07-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Willy Beamish sure looks different, I'd go for that. Secoond choices, maybe Full Throttle or Xanth just for the stupidity. And as usual, I'll always vote for screenshot over video.

Parish
08-01-2010, 02:48 PM
So... am I on for Snake's Revenge this month? I seem to recall that being the case but haven't seen any reminders to that effect and am not sure if that's still happening.

Falselogic
08-01-2010, 09:21 PM
So... am I on for Snake's Revenge this month? I seem to recall that being the case but haven't seen any reminders to that effect and am not sure if that's still happening.

get cracking Great Leader!

Parish
08-02-2010, 09:29 AM
According to the archive thread, yeah. (You're not sent a reminder.) You can start anytime you feel like it.

OK. I can never keep track of where stuff like this is located. Might be time for some thread renaming? HUM.

Brickroad
08-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Why I Hate It: It's the sequel to Myst. Do I really need to say more than that?

YOU SHUT YOUR FOOL MOUTH BEFORE I FILL IT WITH PAIN.

I, ah, really really like Riven. =(

Sky Render
08-02-2010, 10:36 AM
YOU SHUT YOUR FOOL MOUTH BEFORE I FILL IT WITH PAIN.

I, ah, really really like Riven. =(

Yeah, I can tell I'm in a bit of a minority amongst adventure game fans in my dislike of Myst, Riven, Exile, etc. I suppose it's because I grew up with story-centric adventure games, and Myst games (as well as their clones) are more environment-centric. You're basically expected to keep a notepad and take careful notes at all times, but there's nothing in the in-game interface to let you do that without wasting physical resources. Kinda annoying. Also, I'll never forgive that damned musical puzzle in the rocket ship in Myst. I do not have a good ear for discerning notes.

Falselogic
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I can tell I'm in a bit of a minority amongst adventure game fans in my dislike of Myst, Riven, Exile, etc. I suppose it's because I grew up with story-centric adventure games, and Myst games (as well as their clones) are more environment-centric. You're basically expected to keep a notepad and take careful notes at all times, but there's nothing in the in-game interface to let you do that without wasting physical resources. Kinda annoying. Also, I'll never forgive that damned musical puzzle in the rocket ship in Myst. I do not have a good ear for discerning notes.

You're not alone, Sky! I too am not a fan of those games and their ilk.

Foxeris
08-02-2010, 11:48 AM

I actually got a copy of Riven on DVD with my first DVD drive (this was back in the day when they were still the new thing). I still have it around somewhere but I never put any real time into it.

Mr Bean
08-21-2010, 02:35 PM
I wasn't sure if this should go in the tech thread or here, but I wanted to post a few test shots to see how everything would look. Will full 640x480 screenshots take up too much real estate in a screenshot lp, or should I look at doing a size reduction?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_El0wvMYxAcw/THAb6_IauaI/AAAAAAAAGKM/rMUbIUPTSmM/s800/capture_21082010_125905.jpg

Also, I think I've figured out how to work Cam Studio working. I'm planning to do mostly a screenshot lp, but as I do my refresh playthough, I'm finding a lot of the more important cutscenes are probably a lot easier and clearer to understand as full videos. I capped the opening sequence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21uN9OcKD1k) as a test.

I'd love any suggestions from the more experience members of the audience.

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Well, I used 640x400 shots for all of my adventure game LPs and nobody complained about it...

BlitzBlast
08-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Huh, I just noticed this thread existed.

So, how's the BN6 LP? I'm personally kind of annoyed with it, since, well, I can't really do viewer participation due to my schedule and the fact that in the BN series there's... not much that I really can do beyond asking people to construct my folder (which would make actually playing the game a real pain).

I dunno, it just seems more like a "Watch me run through this game" than a LP.

Sky Render
08-21-2010, 05:36 PM
A straight-on play-through Let's Play isn't an inherently bad thing. As long as you keep it interesting, it doesn't really matter if no direct audience participation is possible.

Lucas
08-21-2010, 09:20 PM
Yeah, I think getting rid of the borders could be nice but you shouldn't make the pictures any smaller. They're detailed enough they'd really lose something if scaled down.

Lucas
10-28-2010, 11:56 PM
How about a little preview of the FF6 LP?

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/gailan572/igotthisyouguysigotthis.png

Dtsund bonus! (http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/gailan572/narsheapproachwor.png) That does actually look pretty cool....

Falselogic
10-29-2010, 12:32 PM
Prepping for the King's Quest LPs... Do people want them to resemble Sky Render's efforts with the latter games? I'm up for that but there are so many ways to die in these 4 games...

Just asking

nunix
10-29-2010, 03:27 PM
Prepping for the King's Quest LPs... Do people want them to resemble Sky Render's efforts with the latter games? I'm up for that but there are so many ways to die in these 4 games...

Just asking

Showing off deaths = fun and good!

"Lol dick moves, shit shit shit" = weak and bad.

Your Space Quest LP were just fine!

Sky Render
11-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Showing off deaths = fun and good!

"Lol dick moves, shit shit shit" = weak and bad.

Your Space Quest LP were just fine!

I don't see what's wrong with poking a little fun at something that Average Joe wouldn't realize was expected of the genre. Especially since tolerating that stuff seems pretty ridiculous in hindsight. Limiting the enjoyment of an LP to those who have an interest in the genre of the game seems kind of pointless. But hey, that's just me.

Lucas
11-01-2010, 11:34 AM
Speaking as someone who can't stand Adventure Game Logic...

"Lol dick moves, shit shit shit" = the best part.

Lilfut
11-30-2010, 10:07 AM
So, this is apparently the place to put this...

For my Pokemon Sapphire Glitching LP, I'll be inserting Gameshark codes to catch glitch pokemon. I'll hack the ROM to make the Pokemon at $0000 a starter, so the question is what should the rival's starter be? Also, I'll need hex code suggestions for glitchmons. The hex goes from $019D to #FFFF. Of course, the codes are 4 characters, 0-9 and A-F. Just pull codes out your ass!

Kirin
11-30-2010, 10:24 AM
$C0DE , $F00D , $BEE5 , $FACE , $D1CE , $CAFE , $BA5E , $B000 , $B01D

...this is kind of fun.

Kalir
11-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Also, $DAF7.

recentteen14
11-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Too bad ya cant do $PANTS... oh well
$AE1A
$BAC7
$FED8
$A0B5
$DA73
$F5F5
Random codes FTW XD

Heffenfeffer
11-30-2010, 05:31 PM
Of course, you can't go wrong with an old standby:

$DEAD
$BEEF

And a series...

$DADB
$EDDE
$DABA
$DBAD
$BABE

BlitzBlast
11-30-2010, 06:02 PM
$1337

What?

Lilfut
12-16-2010, 12:42 PM
So it turns out that I can't actually make a glitch my starter, so should I go with Treecko, Torchic, or Mudkip?

EDIT: I have a rather interesting idea for my LP. I won't give any details here, but if you think you're a pretty good sprite artist, PM me for info.

Lilfut
12-16-2010, 01:14 PM
The codes are being bullshit right now. The pokemon aren't what I try to put in and the game crashes if I save, level up, or get in a trainer battle.

Here's the code (for R/S, not E), if anybody can help me figure it out:

Master: 0000B138000A 1003A82A0007
83007D22xxxx

where xxxx is the hex value.

Eddie
12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
The codes are being bullshit right now. The pokemon aren't what I try to put in and the game crashes if I save, level up, or get in a trainer battle.

I've got two apprehensions, one personal, one technical.

1, Personal: Is making this a gamesharked/glitched run that important? I know I felt a little dirty every time I read about someone using outside game resources to do stuff.

2, Technical: Adding a sprite artist (if you can find one) is going to add to the complexity of creating your LP. You're already tackling a fairly complex and lengthy game. Unless you have previous LP experience, I might suggest pairing down your expectations. I know I didn't and hey, here I am approaching two years and I ain't done.

- Eddie

Lilfut
12-16-2010, 02:32 PM
Is making this a gamesharked/glitched run that important? I know I felt a little dirty every time I read about someone using outside game resources to do stuff.

Don't worry, I'm not using GS to cheat, in the traditional sense. R/S/E has been LP'd a thousand times and I think having weird glitch pokemon will set my LP apart from the crowd. From what I've read, I'll actually be making my LP harder this way.

I'm ripping off imitating this LP (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/BreakingBlue/index.html), so reading that should give you an idea of what I'm going to be doing.

Also, I'll be with my grampa in Michigan this weekend, so I won't be doing much of anything til Monday. I'll be able to post, but don't expect any updates on how things are going.

Lucas
12-21-2010, 12:06 AM
Tonight I set out to begin producing the first post of my FF6 LP, since I'm almost done playing the game and there's only two weeks to go before it starts.

Instead I made a gif.

http://sixmeans.com/lets_play/FF6/ff6 test gif.gif

It's clumsy and amateurish, but I made it!

Pajaro Pete
12-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Er... Lucas... bro... I hate being the one to break the news to you, but that says Final Fantasy III, not VI. I think you played the wrong game.

Garrison
12-21-2010, 12:09 AM
I am in anticipation.

Aside from that, it looks pretty good!

recentteen14
12-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Final Fantasy III (SNES) - Lucas & Sky Render

SNES version so it IS FF6, just the American version due to the screwed up American timeline for the early FF games...

Dawnswalker
12-21-2010, 07:17 PM
SNES version so it IS FF6, just the American version due to the screwed up American timeline for the early FF games...

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090819180841/uncyclopedia/images/1/13/Thats_the_joke.jpg

Lucas
12-21-2010, 08:28 PM
What's a good length for an LP update? The first entry of FF6 is clocking in at 286 images right now, which seems just a little long. It's going to be a long update (call it a double length pilot episode) and I'm going to cut it down a good bit by not showing nearly as many individual attack animations and such as I already am, but I'd like some opinions on a target average length for these updates.

BlitzBlast
12-22-2010, 12:43 AM
Well, updates should end at milestones in the game I guess.

For example, the Battle Network updates usually end at either halfway through a scenario, when something bad happens, or at the end of the scenario, when Lan goes to sleep.

So I guess a first update for FFVI should end at... the end of the Moogle Cave thing? That's pretty much the tutorial part, right?

Olli T
12-22-2010, 12:51 AM
FWIW, I prefer shorter and more frequent updates to longer. Not sure if it's more work to do it that way. Like BB said, you need to have a natural place where to stop, of course; you can't just end an update in the middle of a battle or something.

Eddie
12-22-2010, 02:25 AM
Between boss battles could be a decent metric.

Dawnswalker
12-22-2010, 03:54 PM
It's a tough call with FF6, since the "show-stopper" moments don't always come at convenient times. My advice would be to think of your updates as episodes in a TV show, and try to end at a point that makes people expect something good (or at least important) next time around.

Lucas
12-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the input folks, but I'm more concerned with how long the updates are, not how much of the game they cover. I mean, if I use every image I have for the first update without merging them, it will be 20 posts minimum, and that seems just too long. (Though like I mentioned, the first update will be kind of long compared to most of them.)

I dunno, I'm trying to show off the animations for each attack and their relative strength, and show shots of the enemies in each area, and trying to make sure I show some interstitial shots so it doesn't look like I'm just teleporting around the cave system, and it's taking a whole lot of screenshots to do that.

BlitzBlast
12-22-2010, 05:30 PM
Dude, you don't need to show every single enemy in the area. Just the notable ones.

Aside from that, I can only speak for myself but it doesn't really matter if it just looks like you're teleporting around.

The only thing that really needs an image are the important things. Like showing off a puzzle, solving it, secret passages, etc.

Dawnswalker
12-22-2010, 08:25 PM
Yeah, don't show off every enemy in a place. That's just crazy!

I don't think I would even really bother with attack animations most of the time, unless it's an animation unique to the character (like the 1HP oh-shit combos, for example.)

Sky Render
12-23-2010, 04:50 PM
We're now taking recruits for a Let's All Play of Final Fantasy V, due to start (hopefully) in April. The rules for the LP are as follows:

1. You will be given 1 class per crystal that you can use. These jobs will be chosen at random. A hacked save will be provided with all jobs unlocked to make this more interesting.
2. You have two choices: either no more than 2 characters per class or no less than 2 characters per class. This decision must be made before your classes are picked.
3. No more than 2 characters can share the same abilities not native to their class.
4. Showcase how your team fares against bosses, however you see fit (screenshots and text, video, crayon drawings, whatever works best for you).
5. Post updates as often or as infrequently as you wish; the idea is to have fun, not to kill yourself keeping up.
6. Don't post more than 1 boss fight ahead of the main LP's progress. If possible, avoid posting ahead of it at all.

If you're interested, just post in this topic saying so and you'll be added to the list. UPDATE: Sign up by January 31st if you intend to participate!

Participants so far: Sky Render, Lokii, Bongo Bill, Aeonus, BlitzBlast, recentteen14, Comb Stranger, Garrison, Eddie, Nodal, TirMcDohl, Alpha Werewolf, dwolfe, Son of Sinistar, Cait, Parish, Jikkuryuu, Destil

Bongo Bill
12-23-2010, 04:54 PM
It should be noted that these rules are just a draft, I think.

For point 2, can you decide which restriction to play under after learning which jobs you can use, or must you choose blind?

BlitzBlast
12-23-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm totally joining. I'm no FFV nerd, but I do love the game.

And for Point 1 and 3, doesn't that mean you won't really be able to get your characters to use more than one job's skills until the third crystal?

I mean, say you get saddled with Knight, Ranger, Chemist, and Dancer (I realize these are probably not from separate Crystals but there's no real way to check which crystal each job is from from a completed game).

At the beginning, everyone is stuck as Knight. Once you get to Ranger, your two Rangers can use Knight skills but your Knights are stuck with nothing. Once you get to Chemist, though, you can finally put some variety.

I dunno, it seems kind of annoying.

The way FFV is designed, all jobs can do effective damage. I think it might be better if you just get four jobs total and have to distribute them among your characters as soon as you get them/start the game with them.

Sky Render
12-23-2010, 05:42 PM
We're hopefully going to be able to provide a hacked save, as noted, so you can start out with any job you want from the get-go. Meaning you could do stuff not normally possible (like take on the boss in the canal with 4 Chemists, for example).

recentteen14
12-23-2010, 06:13 PM
Sweet, I somehow sparked a group project XD
I'll join too- might as well... Too bad you can't use them on the first boss but nothing to be done there. Which version would we use anyways?

Comb Stranger
12-23-2010, 06:18 PM
Note that the classes will be available, but the equipment for them won't show up until it's appropriate. A lot of classes will be stuck with knives for half the game.

And I'll get in on it, if we're not limiting the number of players. It'll start during my next quarter break, so I shouldn't be too busy.

BlitzBlast
12-23-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, I'm pretty much done with a FFV Advance save that would start you off with all jobs.

What I'm busy with is trying to mod the inventory to get the basic starting weapons of all the classes so everyone gets a fair start (I'm thinking of getting 5 of each chemist/cannoneer item as well, not sure though). The main problem I've run into is that the site with all of the codes doesn't tell me the Master Code.

If we're doing it on the SNES though, turns out there's a FFV modifier program.

Aeonus
12-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Someone test it for me.

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w332/Esoterus/FFV_01.png
It works.

BlitzBlast
12-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Anything bad happen when you actually get your jobs?

Garrison
12-23-2010, 09:30 PM
We're now taking recruits for a Let's All Play of Final Fantasy V, due to start (hopefully) in April. The rules for the LP are as follows:

1. You will be given 1 class per crystal that you can use. These jobs will be chosen at random. A hacked save will be provided with all jobs unlocked to make this more interesting.
2. You have two choices: either no more than 2 characters per class or no less than 2 characters per class. This decision must be made before your classes are picked.
3. No more than 2 characters can share the same abilities not native to their class.
4. Showcase how your team fares against bosses, however you see fit (screenshots and text, video, crayon drawings, whatever works best for you).

If you're interested, just post in this topic saying so and you'll be added to the list.

Participants so far: Sky Render, Lokii, Bongo Bill, Aeonus, BlitzBlast

I'm in if you'll have me. FFV is my favorite in the series and I'd love to ruin it for myself with this challenge.

Aeonus
12-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Anything bad happen when you actually get your jobs?

Nope, at least not at the Wind Crystal.

Eddie
12-23-2010, 09:49 PM
It sounds kind of fun. Count me in.

- Eddie

Lucas
12-23-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm not interested in playing, but as a viewer I vote for doing this in a draft. I think it would be fascinating to watch people choosing their classes. And screwing each other over.

Sky Render
12-24-2010, 08:26 AM
This should be interesting, to be sure. All new participants have been added to the list. Also, I'm going to be going through with my original plan as well to LP the game "properly" as this goes on, so none of the rest of the participants are going to have to worry about going over the story events as well.

The update schedule will be a mess if we try to co-ordinate close to a dozen posters, so I'm thinking we'll need to plot out a method of getting everyone's showcase updates compiled for easy viewing between story updates. With Papillon's or Parish's permission, I'm thinking we keep two threads going: the "main" thread which acts as the story LP and link station for the "showcase" thread, where we all post our boss battle results and ranting about them. Thoughts?

recentteen14
12-24-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm thinking that would work pretty well if we get premission for it- that way people could still see the original LP without being bogged down by 20 pages of extra posts made up of just boss fights from the various people. Also, people who didn't want to see the LP but wanted to see the havoc could use that thread instead. Good idea!

TirMcDohl
12-24-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm up for FF5 antics.

Nodal
12-24-2010, 10:49 AM
If you're interested, just post in this topic saying so and you'll be added to the list.

Participants so far: Sky Render, Lokii, Bongo Bill, Aeonus, BlitzBlast, recentteen14, Comb Stranger, Garrison, Eddie

I'm in.

Alpha Werewolf
12-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm in, if you don't mind a bumbling newbie (to World 2 and after, at least) in the LP.

Sky Render
12-24-2010, 12:06 PM
All of you are added. Anyone's welcome to join in, no matter your experience level with FF5. You can contribute as often or as little as you like too; the Let's All Play portion is going to be a free-for-all where we all get to have lots of fun, so there's no strict schedules involved (though it'd be good if we don't get too far ahead of the story-centered regular LP in the process).

dwolfe
12-24-2010, 12:47 PM
I've never done a LP and I'd be interested in the FFV LP in April, if there's room. Seems like everyone that wants to read it wants to participate, though!

BlitzBlast
12-24-2010, 01:09 PM
Holy crap I did it.

Okay, I managed to find a way to mod the inventoy. I intend to just get all of the basic starting weapons for each class (and maybe some of the Chemist and Cannoneer items if possible), but is there anything else I should add?

Sky Render
12-24-2010, 01:09 PM
The more the merrier, I say! And since the participation's going to be so high, that's why the posting expectations are going to be so lenient. It's almost guaranteed that something will come up for at least one of us by April, or that a few of us will lose interest by then (or during the LP proper), and some of us might be unable to update for any number of reasons at some point in the long haul of the LP. We're in this to have fun, after all, not to torment ourselves!

EDIT: As long as every character class has starter equipment available that doesn't put them at an unfair advantage, it'll be fine. I'm fairly certain that won't be a problem, though, as even Canoneers, Necromancers, Oracles, and Gladiators can equip stuff from long before you're supposed to be able to get them.

BlitzBlast
12-24-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm talking about the very base equipment: Dagger, Battle Axe, Spear, Broadsword, Ashura, Kunai, Rod, Staff, Flame Bow (this is the weakest one that can be hacked in), Silver Harp, Whip, and Diamond Bell.

I'm not sure if I should get shields and armor as well. Or if I should get more than one of the base equipment to allow for multiples of the same job.

EDIT: Okay, new download link. This one starts you off with two of all of the base weapons (Bartz is holding the second Broadsword if you're wondering). It also provides Codebreaker codes to allow Chemists and Cannoneers to get their special items.

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3L09FQKV

TirMcDohl
12-24-2010, 08:09 PM
Maybe instead of this hackjob, you could be locked to either Freelancer or your classes?

Comb Stranger
12-24-2010, 09:07 PM
But then the majority of the game for a lot of people would be classless. The spirit is for everyone to get a different challenge.

Bongo Bill
12-24-2010, 10:41 PM
I volunteer to be the guy who has the last pick of the jobs.

It will be a great tragedy to play FFV without blue magic, but that sounds like an amazing challenge regardless. I am looking forward to going through with Monk, Berserker, Bard, and Oracle. Or whatever you guys think is a shitty combination.

I will prove you wrong.

ON THE SUBJECT OF THE HACKED SAVE FILE:

Does putting Galuf into one of the bonus jobs break anything? For that matter, what about Mime? Make sure to test this one thoroughly; there might be animations missing.

BlitzBlast
12-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Galuf can use all the Jobs you get after his death. He doesn't have a special sprite for them though; he'll just look like a Freelancer.

Red Silvers
12-25-2010, 05:25 PM
In the interest of helping the mod stuff...

http://www.erick.guillen.com.mx/Codes/GBA%20Final%20Fantasy%20V%20Advance.txt

BlitzBlast
12-25-2010, 06:28 PM
We're already done with the save.

Anyways, that site has one huge problem: it doesn't tell you the Master Code.

Thankfully, it does give the values for the items though.

recentteen14
12-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I've got the advance master code in my emulator right now- give me a sec and I'll grab it...
928817FE881A
0B3576A55A09
C48399889B2E
I forget which VBA cheat function I used, I'm pretty sure it was 'Cheat' though

BlitzBlast
12-25-2010, 08:58 PM
No, that doesn't work.

The codes are apparently for Gameshark, but none of the Master codes I've used for them work, even after I tried converting the codes to Pro Action Replay V3 and Code Breaker Advance.

Son of Sinistar
12-25-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm new to LP and only beat FFV once, but I am interested in participating in this thread.

Red Silvers
12-25-2010, 11:41 PM
I've used the codes from that thread without a Master code before...

Though to get items, my method was to unequip something and then put the item in my equip slot.

BlitzBlast
12-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Wait, so you're saying the codes only work if you're completely unarmed?

Huh.

Well, it doesn't really change the fact that the save is done. Though if you want, you can modify the existing save to start you off with the Chemist/Cannoneer items instead of just providing codes that will turn monster drops into said items.

Cait
12-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I can't really let a challenge like this go unanswered. Do your worst, Talking Time.

BlitzBlast
12-27-2010, 07:09 PM
I say we stick Cait with Berserker, Necromancer, Geomancer, and Oracle.

recentteen14
12-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Necromancer isn't bad when ya get enough mana to do his spells, but until then theyre a liability... Oracle is a pain... Geomancer is annoying... Zerkers are ebil...
Yeah- I would like to see someone do that but I think that isn't happening with the rules we already have XD

BlitzBlast
12-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey, he asked us to do our worst.

And Necromancers are useless until they actually learn their spells.

recentteen14
12-27-2010, 11:05 PM
Wait, they actually have to LEARN their spells!?
Oh wait... I always put on the 'learn all magic' cheat due to laziness with blue...
Huh, ya learn something new every day...

Bongo Bill
12-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Wait, they actually have to LEARN their spells!?
Oh wait... I always put on the 'learn all magic' cheat due to laziness with blue...
Huh, ya learn something new every day...

Why do you skip the best part?

Kalir
12-29-2010, 12:19 PM
Learning Death level 5 is never the best part.

BlitzBlast
12-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Besides, Necromancers pretty much require a guide to 100% anyways. The hints on what enemy you need to face are annoyingly obtuse.

recentteen14
12-29-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm too lazy to actually go around farming for blue magic- thats why I like 'get all magic' cheats. It might be game breaking, but I'm the type who would rather either rush through the game quickly or take my time with grinding out levels and normal, grindable abilities then actually hunting for the enemies you actually need to get blue magic abilities...
Maybe thats why I got stuck hard on FFXII, but rocked at FFXIII XD

Comb Stranger
12-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Trying out the rom, and Galuf doesn't appear to have any battle sprite when you give him one of the advanced classes. Also, starting out with a cannoneer, Open Fire does ~500 damage in the intro sequence.

Sky Render
12-30-2010, 05:43 PM
Trying out the rom, and Galuf doesn't appear to have any battle sprite when you give him one of the advanced classes. Also, starting out with a cannoneer, Open Fire does ~500 damage in the intro sequence.

...Yeeeeah, we're gonna have to adjust a few things, methinks. I'd intended to exclude the extra classes to begin with, honestly, and that only justifies the idea further.

Comb Stranger
12-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Probably a good idea.

recentteen14
12-30-2010, 08:14 PM
Maybe we could bring them back in for the extra dungeon, or just exclude cannoneer/gladiator for being too overpowered just to watch people squirm.

Parish
12-30-2010, 09:04 PM
You guys took volunteers for the FFV thing without me?

Please put me down, THANKS. Also, hope it's cool to do Advance, because I <3 the Advance version.

Rascally Badger
12-30-2010, 09:18 PM
Other than, you know, updating regularly is there anything I could or should be doing better with Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones? I am almost ready to start updating again, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm doing something wrong.

Sky Render
12-30-2010, 09:21 PM
You guys took volunteers for the FFV thing without me?

Please put me down, THANKS. Also, hope it's cool to do Advance, because I <3 the Advance version.

Well, it wouldn't be very nice to just add you without you knowing. Be a bit of a shock, really, if you got added and didn't realize it until the starting date. And yes, we're working with FF5A.

BlitzBlast
12-30-2010, 10:19 PM
...Yeeeeah, we're gonna have to adjust a few things, methinks. I'd intended to exclude the extra classes to begin with, honestly, and that only justifies the idea further.

Well, Oracle and Necromancer are mostly harmless. Hell, being usable at the beginning of the game might actually make them be worth something for once.

Cannoneers and Gladiators though...

Well, I get the feeling people with Gladiators are just going to spam the crap out of !Finisher.

Brickroad
12-30-2010, 11:29 PM
I keep coming here to sign up for FF5A but then my brain is like "Nope! Better not."

Jikkuryuu
01-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Two things. Are we allowed to mix and match skills between the our allotted classes? This would make the grab for Ranger, Sorcerer, Dragoon and Red/Blue Mages pretty fierce, but sticking to class-only skills for each character leaves a few classes completely out to dry (White/Black Mages).

Secondly, count me in. I will show you what a Berserker is good for.

Sky Render
01-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Two things. Are we allowed to mix and match skills between the our allotted classes? This would make the grab for Ranger, Sorcerer, Dragoon and Red/Blue Mages pretty fierce, but sticking to class-only skills for each character leaves a few classes completely out to dry (White/Black Mages).

I think you're looking for rule #3: no more than 2 characters can share the same abilities not native to their class. Meaning you can set up cross-class skillsets, BUT you have to mix it up somewhat. You can't just set everyone to have the same uber-killer combos; that'd be no fun.

Jikkuryuu
01-02-2011, 07:44 PM
I think you're looking for rule #3: no more than 2 characters can share the same abilities not native to their class. Meaning you can set up cross-class skillsets, BUT you have to mix it up somewhat. You can't just set everyone to have the same uber-killer combos; that'd be no fun.

Whoops, I skipped that one. Thank you.

TirMcDohl
01-02-2011, 10:43 PM
So, in that rule, if I have White Mage/Ranger/Thief/Mystic Knight, I can't have two Mystic Knights with !Spellblade and !Rapid-Fire, right? I'd have to break it up to where one has !Spellblade and !Steal, right?

Also, when we master the classes (not if), does the rule still apply if we switch back to Freelancer?

BlitzBlast
01-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I don't really think Freelancer should be allowed.

It's either useless or spectacularly broken, and if we're limited on job selection it's stuck on useless, especially without Dancer's Equip Ribbons.

Sky Render
01-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Freelancer is too much of a wildcard, so no, it's not going to be allowed (unless some crazy masochist wants to do a Freelancer-only run with no skills learned at all; I can't imagine anyone will want to do that, though).

Bongo Bill
01-02-2011, 11:05 PM
The magic side of Fork Tower might be impossible with Freelancers only (Reflect Ring trickery can only carry you so far, as I recall). It is possible that each participant needs to have some kind of caster. This is worth looking into.

Loki
01-03-2011, 12:20 AM

Berserker is the most underrated job. Good to see a like-minded right-thinker for once.

TirMcDohl
01-03-2011, 01:06 AM
Berserker + Knight's Two-Handed = OUCHSPLOSION.

BlitzBlast
01-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Berserker + damn near every puzzle boss in the game = Hilarity.

Loki
01-03-2011, 01:39 AM
Also they wear animal heads as hats!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v44/Loki213/6618222007773939.png

Krile I think you're doing it wrong.

Vaeran
01-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Krile is always doing it wrong. Her battle sprites bug the hell out of me. Everyone else is paying attention to what's going on, Krile! They're all facing forward! Why are you just staring endlessly into the camera?

STOP LOOKING AT ME KRILE

recentteen14
01-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Come to think of it, I'm in Guido's cave in my run through... I'll help take a look at the tower quick to see if freelancers only is possible...
Oh wait, I hacked all items XD... Thats gunna be interesting but still worth a shot

Jikkuryuu
01-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Freelancer only sounded familiar: http://www.gamefaqs.com/snes/588331-final-fantasy-v/faqs/21687

Couldn't find a strategy for fork tower with ctrl-f, but from skimming the suggestions I'm guessing it involves breaking rods to cast spells. Also using the thiefknife to steal reflect rings if so inclined, and maybe some trickery with spellcasting weapons as he mentions grabbing a the firebute and holy lance.

EDIT: You know I bet you could attack your own party members with spellcasting weapons and use reflect rings to bounce the spells back to the enemies. Unless the reflection targeted the attacker.

BlitzBlast
01-03-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you could just have the Reflected character use the item on themselves.

I remember doing that a lot to get past enemy Reflects.

TirMcDohl
01-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Well, the thing about FF5 is, once you get the airship back, you can go straight to the Rift. Everything beyond the pyramid for the tablet is a bonus quest, most of which net you magic, or extra tablets to unlock the Legendary Weapons. I can see a run where you're just pushing for the tablets and not doing, say, the Fork Tower or Phoenix Tower or going to unlock Bahamut. Maybe going after the Magic Lamp, though...

BlitzBlast
01-03-2011, 07:48 PM
By the way, should we ban the Chicken Knife?

I don't really think it would be fun if most endgame strategies boiled down to abusing it.

recentteen14
01-04-2011, 01:59 PM
It might be a good idea, but some parties might not be able to survive endgame without it... I guess it depends on the party for chicken knife bans there.
Or we could be really evil and make them run enough times to max out chicken knife and force them to get the brave blade >=D

Sky Render
01-04-2011, 02:09 PM
I don't want to put any explicit equipment bans, because the idea here is to showcase what you can do with what you have. And really, if you opt to pick a dull solution, that's going to be your problem; people won't enjoy your contributions as much because you're not really showing them anything interesting (unless they've never seen that particular variation of game-breaking before, of course).

TirMcDohl
01-04-2011, 02:48 PM
So, will this hacked save give us the classes right out of the gate?

TirMcDohl
01-04-2011, 02:51 PM
Because I think it would be cool if you could somehow dummy classes other than the ones that you get for your run, and have those be the ones the Wind Crystal gives you, and no others.

Sky Render
01-04-2011, 03:01 PM
While that WOULD be awesome, I don't think we can practically do something like that. The hacked save is going to provide all classes right out the gate instead (possibly even before the Wind Shrine; Wing Raptor is going to be more interesting than ever if that's the case).

recentteen14
01-04-2011, 03:06 PM
No, you have to be freelancers until after the wind shrine. The job option is locked until you get the first set, but after that we'll have them all.

Loki
01-04-2011, 03:16 PM
That's not right. I've seen vidoes of hacked job teams fighting the raptor.

BlitzBlast
01-04-2011, 03:40 PM
No, you have to be freelancers until after the wind shrine. The job option is locked until you get the first set, but after that we'll have them all.

Er... what?

Speaking as the guy who already made the hacked save, as soon as you gain control you can access the jobs.

There's even weapons provided for you in the inventory: two of every base weapon.

In case you guys missed it, or something, here was the post on page 5.

I'm talking about the very base equipment: Dagger, Battle Axe, Spear, Broadsword, Ashura, Kunai, Rod, Staff, Flame Bow (this is the weakest one that can be hacked in), Silver Harp, Whip, and Diamond Bell.

I'm not sure if I should get shields and armor as well. Or if I should get more than one of the base equipment to allow for multiples of the same job.

EDIT: Okay, new download link. This one starts you off with two of all of the base weapons (Bartz is holding the second Broadsword if you're wondering). It also provides Codebreaker codes to allow Chemists and Cannoneers to get their special items.

Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=3L09FQKV

EDIT: So if I'm right, the current ban list is:

Freelancer (because it's useless with fixed jobs)

Cannoneer (because it's overpowered for early game)

Gladiator (because !Finisher spam is about as fun as not at all)

Brickroad
01-04-2011, 05:45 PM
There shouldn't be a ban list. That's stupid. Show all the classes.

If !Finisher breaks the game, who cares? The game's already broken.

Comb Stranger
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
It's not a forced 100% run, is it? Things like Fork Tower and Bahamut are only useful for certain classes, which most runners won't have. Granted, fork tower gets you loads of AP, but it could be skipped.

Also, is it possible to edit sprites? I have a great idea, but I'd rather not edit things in post.

Sky Render
01-04-2011, 06:33 PM
You'll only be expected to showcase bosses, and only ones want to showcase. Meaning you can skip the optional stuff like Bahamut and the Fork Tower if you want. As for sprite edits, knock yourself out. Fun is meant to be had, after all.

BlitzBlast
01-04-2011, 06:46 PM
There shouldn't be a ban list. That's stupid. Show all the classes.

If !Finisher breaks the game, who cares? The game's already broken.

The banlist is completely hypothetical and pretty much based off what Sky Render said earlier (though I admit to guessing as to why Gladiator is getting the shaft). He's pretty much running this.

But seriously, Freelancer is completely useless without the other jobs (I mean, if it could equip Ribbons normally that'd be something but it can't). Allowing it is like inviting some masochists to abuse themselves.

Whether or not that is entertaining is another question.

Brickroad
01-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Allowing it is like inviting some masochists to abuse themselves.

Whether or not that is entertaining is another question.

I DID A THIEF SOLO FOR YOU PEOPLE. I DEMAND FREELANCERS.

Adam
01-04-2011, 08:09 PM
I ATTEMPTED A THIEF SOLO FOR YOU PEOPLE.

Garrison
01-04-2011, 08:12 PM
But seriously, Freelancer is completely useless without the other jobs (I mean, if it could equip Ribbons normally that'd be something but it can't). Allowing it is like inviting some masochists to abuse themselves.

Did someone call me? I may or may not be kidding

Sky Render
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Really, if someone decides they want to do an all-Gladiator or all-Freelancer run, I can't exactly stop them. The rules are more like guidelines, there to keep things interesting. But hey, if you think you can make an ostensibly off-limits grouping interesting, just let me know you want to do it that way and we'll work with that. The only truly unbreakable rule here is that it should be fun (hopefully for the reader and players alike). The other rules are there to help make it so, not to detract from the experience.

Bongo Bill
01-04-2011, 09:56 PM
No bans beyond the initial job restrictions, though the audience are allowed to suggest challenges.

Eddie
01-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah we've got a million people doing this right? I don't see any reason at all to ban a particular class. It's not a race, And if the LPer/viewer finds that (class) is too weak/strong, well, you knew what you were getting into.

- Eddie

Sky Render
01-05-2011, 01:27 PM
That's rather my perspective on it, hence why the rules are guidelines. If you can make it interesting by doing something outside the rules, go for it. Just let me know ahead of time so I can adjust how I roll up your classes available (or indeed, if I need to at all).

Brickroad
01-06-2011, 06:45 PM
That's rather my perspective on it, hence why the rules are guidelines. If you can make it interesting by doing something outside the rules, go for it. Just let me know ahead of time so I can adjust how I roll up your classes available (or indeed, if I need to at all).

I think Garrison wants to do a Freelancer solo game, so make sure he rolls that.

Garrison
01-06-2011, 07:58 PM
I can do both, really. I fully expect the freelancer challenge to crash and burn quickly, so it's probably best that I have classes rolled for me as well.

Destil
01-13-2011, 04:25 PM
Still accepting FFV sign ups? I'm down if so.

Sky Render
01-13-2011, 07:17 PM
Still accepting FFV sign ups? I'm down if so.

Yep. Sign-ups are open 'til the end of this month; after that we need to coordinate things so everyone has a chance to get something done before April hits and we're all expected to contribute.

Sky Render
02-10-2011, 10:24 AM
Alright, it's time to finalize the FF5 LP plans. Anyone participating who wants to have a say in how the rules will be set in stone (as well as being able to pick your classes if you're not willing to leave it to luck-of-the-draw chance) should show up. On Saturday, February 12th between 10:00AM and 4:00PM PST, join #ff5lp on espernet (same network as #talkingtime is on) so we can do this thing.

Eddie
02-12-2011, 10:46 AM
Hey Talking Time! I ended up rolling three times and getting the following:

Roll #1: Monk, Red Mage, Bard, Samurai
Roll #2: Monk, Berserker, Ninja, Samurai
Roll #3: Black Mage, Time Mage, Beastmaster, Dragoon

I have zero preference on what to play. Should I go with my original roll, or one of the other two?

- Eddie

TirMcDohl
02-12-2011, 12:07 PM
Roll #2 would be funny in the Fork Tower. :D

Dawnswalker
02-12-2011, 05:10 PM
Hey guys, I'm starting to go back through my Rhapsody LP to resize images, fix typos, and generally spruce it up a bit before giving it over to the Gamespite Archive project. If anyone notices any broken images or any other formatting weirdness, give me a heads-up.

Oh, and since this is the critique thread, feel free to critique the LP itself.

Lilfut
02-13-2011, 02:38 PM
So I'm gonna LP a hack of FF1. Any party suggestions? The characters start as palette-swapped onion knights:

Atheme: Red w/grey highlights, uses swords and some white/black magic
Blip: Green w/ lime green highlights, uses staves and all white magic
Kinguin: Gray w/ red highlights, uses rods and all black magic heh heh rods
Cildar: White w/ sky blue highlights, uses lances and most white magic
Myris: Black w/ gray highlights and creepy-ass red eyes, uses scythes(!) and most black magic
Abaddon: Gray w/ purple highlights, uses swords but no magic

Also names. This hack actually gives you 5-letter names, so that's nice.

Jikkuryuu
02-14-2011, 02:10 PM
It looks like Myris and Cildar are gonna be required, so you can show off those original classes.
Since it's FF1, you'll probably want Fighter Abaddon to carry your party and make use of the fanciest swords. After that is looks wide open so I'll say either the green guy because he's green or Atheme because Red Mages are my favourite class.

Lilfut
02-14-2011, 06:29 PM
So my party is:

LILFT the Atheme
IKA the Myris
RUGA the Cildar
FLORA the Blip

We don't need Abaddon since Atheme can hold his own as a fighter pretty well. I'm gonna go ahead and start playing with this party. Note that this will be an intensely narrative LP. I'll probably explain notable game mechanics in a separate post, so be forewarned.

Comb Stranger
02-15-2011, 10:20 PM
Already started getting my FFV run in order, about two months early. It's rather handy that the screenshots don't need resizing. Anyway, how's this (http://wombatsamurai.aisites.com/toasty/ffv.html) so far? Will I need more or less exposition? And would it be better to host it myself, or just post the updates in the communal thread?

BlitzBlast
02-24-2011, 08:40 PM
First off, Wing Raptor has a steal in the FFV Advance version because it can be refought in a post-game area.

Not sure if it still has one in the original versions though.

Second, I'm not sure, are we supposed to be doing actual LPs or just showing how we do against bosses?

Sky Render
02-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Well, the idea is to showcase the classes you've gotten and how they fare against bosses. But I also added a proviso in there for if you want to show off something cool that happened to you in battle or have something you want to demonstrate that can't really be properly shown off in boss fights. The boss fight showcasing for the early parts isn't going to be that thrilling, but it will definitely get more interesting as the early powerful equipment stops being so powerful. Shiva there was a decent example of how things are going to get more "explain what you did" than "show off how you won in 2 hits".

As for how you want to handle your updates, that's entirely up to you. Post it in the Let's All Play thread image-for-image and word-for-word, link to YouTube/Blip/wherever, host your updates on a separate website, it's all cool with me.

Lucas
02-24-2011, 11:25 PM
As people might have guessed from my half of the FF6 LP, I really like the "explain what you did" parts of LPs. Just throwing that out there to encourage anyone thinking of doing that style.

Lilfut
02-25-2011, 05:26 AM
So for my LP style, see this. (http://lparchive.org/Quest-64/) Also, are LPs allowed to be hosted off-site? Like, I host it on Google Sites and then provide the links, so I don't have to go through the process of converting everything to BBCode.

Kalir
02-25-2011, 07:57 AM
I think people would prefer it on-site, but I wouldn't have a problem with linking to a Google Docs page or whatever.

Lucas
02-26-2011, 01:26 AM
So for my LP style, see this. (http://lparchive.org/Quest-64/)

That's your LP? My hat is off to you. Bravo, sir, bravo.

Lilfut
02-28-2011, 05:13 AM
That's your LP? My hat is off to you. Bravo, sir, bravo.

Oh god, I wish. I didn't mean to mislead you like that. I'm just using that same style, that is, making a very simple game into a complex story.

If I made that LP, I'd be writing novels by now.

Glass Knuckle
03-17-2011, 10:22 AM
If anyone has any criticisms or suggestions for my 8 Eyes LP, I'd like to hear it. This is my first time attempting one of these, and I know platformers can be difficult to follow in screenshot form. Hopefully what I'm doing is working, but I have no idea what this looks like to someone who isn't familiar with the game.

Kirin
03-17-2011, 01:50 PM
Seems pretty good to me. On the whole I like the closeups, though sometimes there's so many I feel like a few more full-screen establishing shots would help. The occasional multi-screen panoramas are aces, too.

Glass Knuckle
03-18-2011, 06:52 AM
The occasional multi-screen panoramas are aces, too.

Spain got me used to needing only a single screen to show the rooms, as the design split most of them in half. The rest of the game doesn't work like that and I like the way the boss room pic turned out, so you'll be seeing more of these from now on.

Aeonus
04-01-2011, 09:47 AM
I just found the "create panorama image" function in Irfanview and I have a simple question:

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w332/Esoterus/SS2%20LP3/SNSS2-12-rr12.png
Too wide for anyone?

Falselogic
04-01-2011, 09:49 AM
I just found the "create panorama image" function in Irfanview and I have a simple question:

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w332/Esoterus/SS2%20LP3/SNSS2-12-rr12.png
Too wide for anyone?

That is a nice feature I usually end up stitching mine together in Paint...

Not too wide.

Zef
04-01-2011, 09:55 AM
I just found the "create panorama image" function in Irfanview

:eek: Where? Where?

Can it do 2x2 grids or is it just Nx1?

Aeonus
04-01-2011, 10:16 AM
:eek: Where? Where?

Can it do 2x2 grids or is it just Nx1?

A) Image -> Create Panorama image...

B) It only allows one Nx1 or 1xN image at a time, but you can make a panorama of panorama images to make a MxN one.

Pajaro Pete
04-01-2011, 12:36 PM
Aeo, bless you.

Kala
04-13-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm not entirely certain if this is the best place to make this post, but the fact that this is a Critique thread seems about right... Anyway, I'm considering doing an LP in order to cut my teeth on the whole thing, a good starting point as it were. To that end, I'm wondering if anyone would object to seeing a thread about a cutesy GBA game sitting on the subforum, reeking of amateur LP-ness.

...What game, you ask? Well, due to a lack of video recording experience or the patience to do a longer game like the Final Fantasy series, I was considering:

Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak!
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d198/alex89201/Ham1.png

Yes, I'm considering doing a screenshot LP (intended size of screenshots featured above) about a bunch of hamsters and their relationships, with hopefully some shots of the little animations they often use, and links to some repetitive background music.

...It's not as bad as it sounds. It's rather like an adventure game at times, with one or two little minigames thrown in. At any rate, I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not, and I'd like to hear what people have to say... And of course, I apologise if this is the wrong place to be asking.

Eddie
04-13-2011, 11:11 PM
At any rate, I'm wondering if this is a good idea or not, and I'd like to hear what people have to say... And of course, I apologise if this is the wrong place to be asking.

Its been my experience that even "bad" games can be great LPs (heck, look at the 8 Eye's one that is currently running!). It's all about presentation.

Sign up in the appropriate thread to get entered into the queue. I don't know when the next slot open is, but I'm sure Pappy can tell you (in that thread).

- Eddie (Kushi-kushi,Ticki-ticki,WHOO!)

Kala
04-14-2011, 12:19 AM
Fair point... I have found myself very entertained by many of Octopus Prime's threads here, not to mention some LPs of truly appalling games over on the archive/SA.

I'll take a peek over in the other thread, then. Thanks for the assistance! :3

Red Silvers
04-14-2011, 04:51 PM
(intended size of screenshots featured above)

Given some other's comments about other's GBA screenshots, you may want to look at resizing to 200%, just so you know.

Kala
04-14-2011, 05:31 PM
Given some other's comments about other's GBA screenshots, you may want to look at resizing to 200%, just so you know.

Thanks... I'll have to look into it, since that doesn't seem to work quite like I thought it would.

eternaljwh
04-14-2011, 05:36 PM
Given some other's comments about other's GBA screenshots, you may want to look at resizing to 200%, just so you know.I guess this forum doesn't have enough html support to just have the browser do it?

TirMcDohl
04-20-2011, 09:54 PM
What would you kids think of a Final Fantasy X-2 video LP, with democratic selections of character builds and adventuring locations? Obviously, I wouldn't show every damn battle ever, just the bosses, and possibly interesting Oversouled regular monsters. I really dig X-2, I'd just need to work out how I'm going to do this. Probably just record raw footage, then cut it together and comment.

EDIT: Oh, and if you guys asked really nicely, I might do some of the International Version + Last Mission stuff, such as Creature Create, and we could see if it's possible to beat the game with an Iron Giant in the Songstress Dressphere!

Tangent Vector
04-22-2011, 08:06 AM
...Final Fantasy X-2 video LP...

If nobody more interesting has an opinion, I'll weigh in.

An X-2 LP could be fun, but it seems to really be begging for screenshots/text. The biggest strength of the game is the job system, and I can't imagine doing it justice without pauses for job descriptions a la Eddie's FFT LP.

If most TTers are in the camp that has dismissed X-2 as an extended exercise in fan-service it would be good to take the time to show where this is and isn't true. It may mean, though, that you won't get much helpful input on things like character builds.

I really like X-2 for the job and battle system mechanics ("I read it for the articles"), but the story and characters are just painful to endure (even when it totally nails the J-pop magical-girl's night out aesthetic). It may make narration tricky - when do you let the story stand as self parody, and when do you step in to point out its excesses?

TirMcDohl
04-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Oh, I already have an idea to take time out and explain the mechanics. Chapter 1 is going to consist of alternating "I GO HERE BECAUSE TT TOLD ME TO" and "Hey, here's how a particular system works/Dressphere info."

TK Flash
05-16-2011, 04:03 AM
Hey guys, please vote on my 7th Dragon party. The character classes are already decided by me but I'd like TT members to decide the character sprites.
Here (http://7thdragon.wikidot.com/knight) are (http://7thdragon.wikidot.com/healer) the ( http://7thdragon.wikidot.com/mage) four classes. (http://7thdragon.wikidot.com/samurai)

PapillonReel
05-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Dizzamn, that's exactly the same party I have in 7D. Like, right down to the class. Glad to see I'm not the only one fond of those four. :P

I vote:
Knight: Male 2 (elf knight)
Healer: Female 1 (timid blonde)
Mage: Female 2 (busty babe)
Samurai: Male 2 (goatee)

Falselogic
05-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Hey guys, please vote on my 7th Dragon party. The character classes are already decided by me but I'd like TT members to decide the character sprites.
Here (http://7thdragon.wikidot.com/knight) are (http://7thdragon.wikidot.com/healer) the ( http://7thdragon.wikidot.com/mage) four classes. (http://7thdragon.wikidot.com/samurai)

3 Samurai and 1 healer

Lilfut
05-27-2011, 09:09 AM
So, I'm going to start a Spore Let's Play, and I want a bit of input before I do. First of all, I'll be starting on the Creature stage, because the Cell stage is one of the worst things ever made. Now, I only need two bits of input: 1, carnivore, omnivore, or herbivore; and 2, cheats, limited cheats (i.e. more money in space stage) or no cheats?

If there's no reply, I'll go with Omnivore and limited cheats.

EDIT: Also, should I be social or aggressive to start? (I'll go with aggressive by default)

ANOTHER EDIT: A name, for both the creature and the planet. I'll just hit Random if there are no suggestions.

Kalir
05-27-2011, 11:49 AM
You should do the Cell stage too. Even if it's awful, it's over fast, and you get a special ability in later stages.

And you should be an aggressive herbivore. Like a rhino. Except a rhino with five legs and bug eyes, because Spore.

Also feel free to cheat in the Space stage because aaaaaaaaargh.

Lilfut
05-27-2011, 02:01 PM
You should do the Cell stage too. Even if it's awful, it's over fast, and you get a special ability in later stages.

And you should be an aggressive herbivore. Like a rhino. Except a rhino with five legs and bug eyes, because Spore.

Also feel free to cheat in the Space stage because aaaaaaaaargh.

Well, I'll probably just use setconsequenceTrait cell_[whatever] to get the special ability for Cell. Also, my space cheating will be just to spam moremoney, especially since I have a mod to make it give 99 million instead of just 1.

Another mod lets you use the expanded cell parts and the Dr. Pepper robot bits in the Cell editor, so maybe.

Speaking of which, how about mods? I have some that mainly let you use more parts in creatures, but should I turn them off for the LP?