PDA

View Full Version : Selection for Societal Sanity 1 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Virtuous Mission through Ocelot

Parish
08-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Moving along to week two of Fun Club. This week's topic, inspired by the fact that the Metal Gear Solid 4 gameplay demo was incredible and I need to catch up with the series, is:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater/Subsistence
Konami/Kojima Pro | PS2 | Tactical Stealth Action | 2004

We'll break this one into three pieces: part one, here, covers Operation Virtuous Mission through the Ocelot fight. Part two will encompass the caves through the battle with The End. And part three will cover everything from The End to... the end.

The ball is in your court, gentle participants. I will weigh in... later.

JustusRavenscroft
08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
Well, I think the first question is obviously:

Which version will you be playing? Snake Eater or Subsistence.

I prefer the camera system in Subsistence, so that's the one I'll be playing.

Kishi
08-12-2007, 10:51 AM
I like MGS1!
I like MGS2!
This is my first time playing MGS.

spineshark
08-12-2007, 10:57 AM
Going to try to pick up Subsistence tomorrow. This should be interesting.

ringworm
08-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Is it cool to play MGS3 without having played through MGS2?

bobservo
08-12-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm very excited for this because A.) I've been looking for a reason to play through the game again, and B.) I bought Subsistence and never played through the main game. I'm interested in seeing how much the new camera improves things (Note: The things were already VERY GOOD.).

Parish
08-12-2007, 11:06 AM
I'm definitely playing Subsistence. The bigger, more organic environments coupled with the loss of the Soliton radar make the traditional camera wholly unsuited for the task of letting you play the game without hating the hell out of it.

I'm ridiculously slow even with the free camera. I try to play stealthily and with as few kills as possible, laying low as much as possible... so just sneaking around Rassvet to find Sokolov took me a full hour.

Also, I've just learned that you're supposed to shoot the kerotans... with your gun. I thought you were supposed to wait until the second playthrough and use a camera. I feel like a 'tard, and deserve harshin'.

shivam
08-12-2007, 11:08 AM
which one is better for someone who has never played any of them before?

bobservo
08-12-2007, 11:33 AM
which one is better for someone who has never played any of them before?

Subsistence. It's the original game, but improved. Plus, if you're a Metal Gear purist, you can play the game with its original camera system.

I'm definitely playing Subsistence. The bigger, more organic environments coupled with the loss of the Soliton radar make the traditional camera wholly unsuited for the task of letting you play the game without hating the hell out of it.

While this is true, I loved the loss of the MGS1/2 radar. I spent most of my MGS2 game looking at a tiny map, controlling a dot. It was like some crazy sequel to Adventure.

shivam
08-12-2007, 11:37 AM
"Never played any of them."

any, meaning anything with the words metal and gear in the title together.

cortbassist89
08-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I started the series with MGS3, and felt the Soliton radar made MS1 and 2 nearly too easy. It also made screwing with the guards more fun, so there's the other side to it.

Virtuous Mission is essentially your tutorial, but it's also a breeze for MGS vets, and (thankfully) largely skippable. The only part vets might want to stop and read about is CQC, but the better moves aren't really explained, you'll want to crack open the manual or ask here about those.

Btw, have fun with the sniper rifle while it lasts, because unless I've missed something, you'll be going without it for quite awhile after the Virtuous Mission ends.

Alex Scott
08-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I'm definitely playing Subsistence. For one thing, it's the only version I own.

I also have the infinity paint and the stealth, and this'll be the first time I'll play through the main game with either. I'm torn over whether to go through without killing or killing everybody in my path.

Tomm Guycot
08-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Also, I've just learned that you're supposed to shoot the kerotans... with your gun. I thought you were supposed to wait until the second playthrough and use a camera. I feel like a 'tard, and deserve harshin'.

Don't worry Parish. You only get a reward for finding ALL of them, and I guarantee there are Karotans you will never find.

Kishi
08-12-2007, 11:46 AM
People who relied so heavily on the old radar that they were navigating the dot rather than controlling Snake or Raiden only have themselves to blame.

Is it cool to play MGS3 without having played through MGS2?

As you probably know, MGS3's story is chronologically the first in the series. All the same, there are many, many references and callbacks to characters and plot threads from MGS1 and 2. So, you won't be getting the full picture, but you probably won't end up confused, either.

Crazy Larry
08-12-2007, 11:48 AM
Hmm... Maybe this will get me to finally play through the copy of Subsistence I've had lying around for a year. I kept getting caught trying to sneak into the base and gave it up for a while, and never came back to it.

Maggie
08-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm playing Subsistence, since I haven't tried it with the new camera yet. I'm pretty sure I got all the secrets in the original version, though. Kerotan, face paint, tsuchinoko, so I guess that's nothing to worry about. Took forever, though, and I didn't even really use any of the things you get for doing it.

Kishi
08-12-2007, 11:54 AM
I don't know if it was fixed in Subsistence, but in the original release of MGS3, there was a bug of sorts regarding the Kerotans. Basically, if you shot them all, you ended the game with the "Kerotan" rank and unlocked the Stealth Camouflage, but then you could never get any rank but Kerotan on subsequent playthroughs.

So, on top of it being a hassle in the first place, there's a chance that hunting down every one of them could hopelessly skew your endgame appraisal. Earning the Stealth Camouflage by getting through the game without being found is both more fun and more rewarding.

Parish
08-12-2007, 11:56 AM
While this is true, I loved the loss of the MGS1/2 radar. I spent most of my MGS2 game looking at a tiny map, controlling a dot. It was like some crazy sequel to Adventure.
Oh, I agree, definitely. This is really my first time through MGS3, and I'm really impressed but how much more substantial it feels. Not knowing where the guards are every second down to which way they're facing adds so much more tension to the game... which is why I spend so long taking those last few steps to Sokolov. I'm reluctant to rely too much on even the sonar and motion detector. (I'd like to use the AP sensor, but I'm playing this on PS3 and the sensor makes use of a last-gen feature.)

Sneaking in MGS3 really feels like it has consequences -- although this is actually somewhat to the game's detriment at times, because crawling around through the grass and waiting to stun some dude is exhausting. I can't play this game in large stretches because it wears me out.

In fact, I think I'm going to proclaim this a two-week entry, because I don't think one week is going to be enough time for me to finish. Also, part one now goes up to the Ocelot fight, because Virtuous Mission is kinda short.

Calorie Mate
08-12-2007, 12:00 PM
God, this first radio conversation with The Boss is long. I guess Kojima's up to his old tricks again. I assume this is setting the standard for the rest of the game already. GREAT.

Kishi
We dragged the hell out of Virtuous Mission back when it comprised the MGS3 demo, though. You'd be surprised how much mileage you can get out of messing with the bridge physics or how many approaches you can take to dealing to Sokolov's guards.

cortbassist89
People who relied so heavily on the old radar that they were navigating the dot rather than controlling Snake or Raiden only have themselves to blame.

As you probably know, MGS3's story is chronologically the first in the series. All the same, there are many, many references and callbacks to characters and plot threads from MGS1 and 2. So, you won't be getting the full picture, but you probably won't end up confused, either.
Yes, but you also won't be nearly as confused when you make your way to MGS2. Or, at least, some of the MGS2 twists will make more sense.

Also, MGS3 has, arguably, the most polished game engine of the series.

Calorie Mate
08-12-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm ridiculously slow even with the free camera. I try to play stealthily and with as few kills as possible, laying low as much as possible... so just sneaking around Rassvet to find Sokolov took me a full hour.

The first time I played the game, I did exactly this. The second time, emboldened by already having finished it, I used CQC far more, slitting just abotu every throat I came across. It was awesome.

(PROTIP: If you're close to a guard and standing, pushing forward in their direction on the control stick and hitting Circle at the same time will make Snake grab them and throw their face into the dirt, immediately knocking them out. It can be a life saver.)

cortbassist89
08-12-2007, 12:06 PM
I never tried to avoid alerting the guards, which would require either no killing or some tedious clean-up once you're done. I prefer stealth action to stealth non-action; I avoid being seen long enough to get the kill, and hope no one notices the kill.

(PROTIP: If you do the CQC grapple, just holding Circle lightly that is, and then press L3, you'll interrogate the guard with your knife. This is usually pointless, yielding only a 'american capitalist pig' or a password to Metal Gear Ac!d, but this can sometimes yield useful info, such as armory locations, hidden tips, and even radio frequencies you can use to call off alerts)

Tomm Guycot
08-12-2007, 12:09 PM
What I enjoy is being able to play the game entirely differently than I have before. There are so many ways to approach each situation...

sraymonds
08-12-2007, 12:36 PM
I started hating MGS3 near the end. I did pick up Subsistence when it dropped in price, and I will soon be replaying it. Only for you guys.

Eusis
08-12-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, unlike MGS1 and 2 I really think 3 needs to have two weeks. I could probably just tear apart the game with the Patriot but I'd rather try less fighting and more real stealth or something. Save that for if I get too frustrated or pissed off, at least it won't end in my guaranteed failure with the limited reinforcements this time.

chud_666
08-12-2007, 01:17 PM
I've only played the original Snake Eater Version, which is OK. I'm not big for stealth games, but I love MGS bosses. The sniper battle and final boss are especially great. I also loved the camo system, although screwing around in menus can drag. Another gripe I have here is spending like 3 years sneaking up on a dude and are all ready to put him in a sleeper but you screw up the button press and just sucker punch him in the head. Stupid. Why isn't that a separate button????

Alex Scott
08-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I just finished Virtuous Mission, and I'm going to go through with no kills. Of course, the Stealth makes this obscenely easy, but hell, I took the time to hunt those kerotans to get it, so I'm gonna frickin' use it.

Grignr
08-12-2007, 01:33 PM
So I guess I'm not the only one who didn't buy MSG3 because they were waiting for it to be a Greatest Hit, only to learn that Subsistence was coming out, eventually buying that discounted but not playing it yet either?

Fine, I'll go play it now.

Eusis
08-12-2007, 01:44 PM
Given how the online was a whole third of the incentive to get Subsistence, they really should just release an edited version with the online portion cut out and make it GH. Also, now that I booted up the game I saw my first Subsistence run took me 21:38:36. I saved about 3 or 4 hours off of my original Snake Eater playthrough!

I forgot about the Tsuchinoko thing, I should probably look for those too for this playthrough.

cortbassist89
08-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I feel special. I've always clocked my first MGS playthrough in between 10 and 15 hours.

I've never taken the hardwork and effort to hunt the kerotans before, mostly because I think I'd need a walkthrough out just to find them all. Like the 101 Puppies in Kingdom Hearts, I ultimately decided hunting for them just wasn't worth it.

Parish
08-12-2007, 02:24 PM
So, Virtuous Mission.

Back when Snake Eater first came out, I played up to the entrance of Russvet and decided the game was so demanding that I needed to wait until a time when I could clear off my plate a bit. That time turned out to be... three years later.

MGS3 does not make it easy to get into the gameplay at the start. There is no optional tutorial for mastering CQC -- a dozen VR missions would have been very much appreciated. My biggest problem here were all CQC-related, because I wanted a no-kill playthrough and Snake didn't seem to want to do the "slam evil" stunning move, preferring instead to slice throats. Bad Snake! I don't know how many times I had to reload my game here simply because I wasn't given a sandbox in which to master my advanced moves. Granted, it was nice to get away from the completely horrible "let us tell you every damn thing about the controls" tedium of MGS2, but there's gotta be a happy medium. Oh, wait, I know -- how about the VR missions that were included with the original MGS? Geez.

And Kojima's still a master of the backassward "tell, don't show" approach to storytelling, so after the jaw-droppingly awesome HALO jump introduction the action takes a sharp left turn into dullsville. Lots of story set-up with stilted, unnatural comm dialogue... very obvious setup at that. "Jack, I'm pretty much guaranteed to become a traitor now." Thanks, Boss!

And the opening areas aren't especially interesting, dingy swamps and woods. I didn't really ease into the gameplay until Russvet -- I spent a ton of time hiding under the building and getting a feel for tracking enemy movements and patterns, which feels really different from the mini-Pac-Man approach that the Soliton presented in the first two games. (Different and better.) I would have made better time if I had known the footsteps coming from above me in the far corner of the building were Sokolov's and therefore harmless. Ah well.

Once I found Sokolov, the story did one of those little parallels that Kojima loves so much -- this time mirroring MGS2, with a sudden betrayal, an ignominious but temporary defeat for our hero, and something smelly striking the fan with catastrophic force.

cortbassist89
08-12-2007, 02:38 PM
I think your problem is simply pressing Circle too hard for the CQC. Kojima loves the analogous functions of the DualShock, perhaps a bit too much. The difference between a light and a heavy press can be the difference between simply holding your gun, and shooting it and giving away your location, or between grappling the enemy and cutting their throats.

Quite unfortunate that the heavy circle press CQC move is also the loudest, most violent, alerting one. But it is cool. The only advice I can give for performing the slam instead of the throat-slit is that you be moving forward when you use Circle, but with the analog stick, not stalking.

... Wow. CQC is really confusing now that I think of it. Once you get it down however, it's like riding a bike, I swear it.

Parish
08-12-2007, 02:48 PM
No, I understand why it's happening, but knowing how a button press should work is different than actually having a chance to master application of that knowledge without mucking up your playthrough and having to reload your file. Twenty minutes of setup and care can be spoiled in a split second by oops pressing the circle button a tiny bit too hard.

Adrenaline
08-12-2007, 03:14 PM
People playing for the first time, without spoiling anything, I'll tell you there's a legitimately good reason to avoid killing people, but it's not a big deal.

I'm not going to play through this right now, since my plate is full, but I'll discuss it, since I like talking about good games with smart people.

I don't really have the patience to be too stealthy in this game. I'd rather just avoid conflict as much as I can but accept it's going to happen a lot, and it's still a fun experience, although you definitely get more from it by being sneaky.

I wasn't a big fan of the camo/food/medical stuff, they're good ideas but are implemented poorly and it's based on just using menus and numbers instead of going by feel, which would be more rewarding.

Storywise, the game gets better as it goes on about avoiding long-winded exposition. I think that talk with The Boss is literally as bad as it gets. The story's less crazy than previous games, but I think overall it's very entertaining, touching, and the best in the series.

TheSL
08-12-2007, 03:33 PM
I like MGS1!
I like MGS2!
This is my first time playing MGS.

Man, I choose that the first time through and restarted because I thought I'd be stuck that way the whole game if I didn't.

Zef
08-12-2007, 04:18 PM
All right, all right. I just popped out the FFXII disc and put in MGS3: Snake Eater. This is the first time in two years since a laser has refracted off the disc's surface, and hopefully it'll get past the bridge in the opening mission this time. More news as the situation develops.

Edit: Do I lose anything by choosing the Easy difficulty? Bragging rights are the least of my concerns, I just want to get through the game and see all the cutscenes and ending, lousy camera or not. :(

Edit 2: The game FROZE at the codec immediately after Snake spotted his very first two enemies. I could move the image around with the right analog, but it wouldn't accept Select or X to switch out. This... does not bode well.

Eusis
08-12-2007, 04:58 PM
As far as I know, nothing's lost from going with Easy. I seem to recall picking Very Easy or Easy when I rented MGS2 and just wanted to tear through it and saw the whole thing. And it's probably better to go with higher difficulties anyway when playing Subsistence rather than the original release.

I got up to Russvet, got spotted, then just got pissed off and whipped out the Patriot and shot up all the guards. After that I just kinda screwed around running around, then shot through the window of the room Sokolov was kept in. Actually got a response, decided to see if throwing in a grenade would hurt or kill him, and got the game over screen. I love the attention to detail the MGS games have.

Maggie
08-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Trouble with CQC your first time is that it could, concievably, take you until the very last possible moment in the game to understand it or to use some of the more clever moves.

That's exactly what happened to me, but now that I know them, I wouldn't say it makes things *easier,* it just gives me a whole lot more options that would've been nice. So you don't necessarily lose out or have to go through more crap by not knowing, but finding it out IS pretty neat.

Heck, I didn't know you could do that face slam thing Calorie Mate mentioned. I always just did the arm grab/body slam to the ground thing. And interrogations were always right out because I'd keep slitting their throats, which is a real nasty way to go out.

Only reason I love the Tsuchinoko secret is because, well... ok, two reasons. 1.) I'm big into cryptozoology and 2.) the tsuchinoko also makes a pretty awesome appearance in Forbidden Siren. I would have requested that for the Fun Club, but I doubt anyone can get a hold of it easily or would necessarily enjoy it if they did. It's a VERY acquired taste.

Adrenaline
08-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I never even really messed with the CQC in that game. I mostly used guns. There's just so much depth there I didn't touch. Damn the preponderance of good games in the world.

Lakupo
08-12-2007, 06:08 PM
*loads up his current file in MGS3 and sees where he is* Ah, a few areas before the Ocelot battle, with Stealth and Infinite Ammo and all that fun stuff. I started to do a no-kill game, but it's too much to play with fancy guns when they can't see you. So I decided to make this my Markhor rank game, because I missed ONE food item in my Kerotan/Tsuchinoko game. That was frustrating. And that means I have to catch a Tsuchinoko again. That's very frustrating. (that sucker is getting eaten when I do get it though)

Oh, a fun thing for people going for no-kill games: if you toss a live poisonous animal (spider, scorpion, snake) at an enemy and it kills them, the kill doesn't go against your record, as I understand it. It's fun to watch, but not exactly "stealthy". CQC and the Mk22 are safer bets.

Maggie
08-12-2007, 06:37 PM
I wonder what would happen if you throw a poisonous animal at the third boss. Anyone want to try it?

Parish
08-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Only reason I love the Tsuchinoko secret is because, well... ok, two reasons. 1.) I'm big into cryptozoology and 2.) the tsuchinoko also makes a pretty awesome appearance in Forbidden Siren. I would have requested that for the Fun Club, but I doubt anyone can get a hold of it easily or would necessarily enjoy it if they did. It's a VERY acquired taste.
Isn't the Tsuchinoko also one of the more difficult-to-acquire souls in Aria of Sorrow?

Maggie
08-12-2007, 06:48 PM
oh, yeah, I forgot about that. The one that gives you a discount at Hammer's shop?

Man, that thing gets around. I love silly crap like that.

Hell, just having a little cardboard cutout of Nessie swim by in the background on the Loch Ness level of the Tomb Raider 3 expansion was enough to get me to buy it.

So these kinds of things don't always have such a happy ending.

VsRobot
08-12-2007, 09:22 PM
WHY MUST CIRCLE BE "CONFIRM" AND X "BACK".

This has broken my brain. I keep eating things and changing my camo when I don't want to. I also can't figure out the controls. Once I pull the gun, do I have to shoot it? I can't figure out how to holster it. How do I catch an animal? I saw a snake and went into FP and hit the ACTION button but nothing happened.

I like the camo system so far. Other than that... I don't know how to deal with enemies, I can't find the "CALL" option so I can't save, and I keep falling off the bridge with a ton of guys shooting me. I got a used copy with no instructions, and the game isn't doing a very good job of teaching me how to play it.

In fact, if not for the game club, and the disapproving glare of the imaginary TOMM who sits at my side, I would be trading this in right now.

I liked the opening cut-scene but not the incredibly drawn out comm conversations.

Torgo
08-12-2007, 09:43 PM
WHY MUST CIRCLE BE "CONFIRM" AND X "BACK".

This has broken my brain.
FFT conditioned me to be able to play with crazy reverse schemes like this.

All I'm going to say about this week's Fun Club is that I tried. I hit up all three Gamestops on island, and none of them had Subsistence. One of them had just sold their last copy today.

/cry

(Oh well, maybe I'll pick up that copy of Glory Days 2 I saw instead.)

Zef
08-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Technically, O=Accept and X=Cancel should be the correct input method, it's just that Square taught us otherwise.

Now, once you've drawn your gun, you can gently release the button to lower it again. Like MGS2 before it, it uses the DualShock's analog buttons to sense pressure.

The camo system indeed rocks. Now that I've experimented more with it, I'm finding it extremely flexible and it's awesome to stand not three feet away from an enemy and remain completely invisible to him. I don't understand why peeking out reduces my index from 65% to 0%, though, but I can live with that.

You Call people with the Select button. Once in the radio menu, you can dial the frequency manually with Left and Right on the D-pad, or you can push Up to enter the Memory submenu to find the Major, Para-Medic, or Save frequencies.

Everything else, though, I'm with you so far. :( Since the Snake Eater camera is so horrendously hostile, I'm taking my time observing the enemy patrol routes, watching how long they stand still at a certain position, finding the precise hiding spots I need to jump to and from to avoid detection... and then I jump in to execute my plan and find that I have a very hard time shifting my MGS/MGS2 paradigm. Do I tranq everyone in my path? Do I stalk from behind and [try to] CQC them [and fail miserably]? Am I simply supposed to make my way past them without any sort of contact? (Which, seeing how the silencer breaks after a number of uses, is what Kojima wants me to do, evidently.)

My problem with the game, though, is this: My last save reads 2:21 hours, just at the very beginning of the Snake Eater mission. My previous save, just prior to meeting Sokolov, is at 1:07. Even allowing that I spent 10 minutes or so at Rassvet, that means it was a whole hour since I had any sort of input (save for the Cure Menu tutorial,) instead watching people act out a cool action movie for me. I even set aside the controller and caught up on some Talking Time threads during Johnson and Khrushchev's telephone conference. Is the rest of the game this heavy on cutscenes? If so... I'd rather watch FFXII's cutscenes. They're shorter and don't involve static silhouettes or live-action footage. :/

Eusis
08-12-2007, 10:04 PM
It's O for accept and X for Cancel in Japan. The SNES was kinda random about this, but it seemed it was generally B for cancel and A to accept. Heck, O and X make sense in that regard. But then everything had to be screwed up and scrambled with the US Playstation, and now we've got this constant flip flopping that I don't think we'll see consistent around the world and across platforms for a long time. Kinda frustrates me, really, since it's caused some screwy button layouts.

I'm having trouble crossing Dolinovodno in opearation Snake Eater, so I'll stop there for the night.

LancerDragoon
08-12-2007, 10:07 PM
If you guys are up to it, a no-kill, no-alert, finish within 8 hours (I think) with less than 24 saves playthrough will net you a stealth camo. I don't even remember how I did it, but I do know that it was seriously hard. The only thing that I haven't unlocked is the Infinity Face Paint, which was too demanding even for me.

In any case, Virtuous Mission was... simple, if you knew what you were doing. The silenced Mk. 22 is your best friend. Oh, and yes, you can sneak past the guards and avoid contact with them, most of the time. Just be aware of how far they are from your current position and where they're heading to next. Sometimes shooting without a silencer is alright, especially if you and the guard you're trying to shoot is far far away from other guards in the area. However, take note that if they do hear you shoot, they'll call for backup. Also, when there's a boss fight, take off all your silencers, save them for later.

Maggie
08-12-2007, 10:09 PM
In fact, if not for the game club, and the disapproving glare of the imaginary TOMM who sits at my side, I would be trading this in right now.

You see him, too?

Sometimes, late at night when I want a drink, I'll reach for a Dr. Pepper instead of the orange juice and Tomm will just shake his head with this sad look in his eyes, like he knows he has given up on me, but he stays out of some kind of obligation. Does he hope that I can change? Or does he just want to walk with me on my path to oblivion, to give me some small comfort before that final abyss?

Anyway, I'm not even going to bother poisoning or nauseating the third boss. It takes forever. Just gonna do the lazy IR goggles/machine gun, thing.

God, he's shaking his head again.

chud_666
08-12-2007, 10:16 PM
You guys are all like serious elite MGS players. I'm super impatient: I usually get fed up of sneaking around and just mow down the dudes with the radios. If I screw that up you can avoid trouble by 'zoning' to the next jungle area. This doesn't work so hot late in the game, but it's a pretty big oversight for a stealth game. Maybe it was a concession by Kojima to meatheads like me. ;)

Lakupo
08-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Anyway, I'm not even going to bother poisoning or nauseating the third boss. It takes forever. Just gonna do the lazy IR goggles/machine gun, thing.

But poisoning him makes shooting him easier! And poisoning him is the fastest method anyway, if you captured everything ahead of time. You just drop stuff, he grabs it, "BAAAAAAAARF!!!!", lather rinse repeat. It's a hassle if you didn't stock up, though.

Tomm Guycot
08-12-2007, 11:06 PM
The only thing that I haven't unlocked is the Infinity Face Paint, which was too demanding even for me.

Catching Tsukinocho was too demanding? C'mon, even I did that, and I never tried all that other crap you mentioned.

Just gonna do the lazy IR goggles/machine gun, thing.

God, he's shaking his head again.

Oh trust me - that is the Tomm-approved method for defeating him. Also try: The End vs. Shotgun!

poetfox
08-12-2007, 11:13 PM
How do I catch an animal? I saw a snake and went into FP and hit the ACTION button but nothing happened.
If I remember correctly, you have to tranq a snake or whatever to capture it. But it's been a long time (well, okay, I guess since last summer when I played through every game in the series in a row. That's not TOO long). I just wasn't seeing anyone answering that particular question so I thought I'd try.

Kishi
08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
To add an animal to your Food menu, just kill it, and it'll turn into a convenient item for you to pick up. However, dead food turns rotten over time, so you can also use tranquilizers to store your target alive in one of three cages.

If you guys are up to it, a no-kill, no-alert, finish within 8 hours (I think) with less than 24 saves playthrough will net you a stealth camo. I don't even remember how I did it, but I do know that it was seriously hard.

The only requirement for unlocking the Stealth is to complete the game with zero Alerts.

Jakanden
08-13-2007, 04:08 AM
I would replay this again (even though I have played through it three times), but I am holding off until MGS4 to replay through all three of them.

That being said, for the first timers, enjoy as I personally think this is the best in the series.

LancerDragoon
08-13-2007, 06:02 AM
The only requirement for unlocking the Stealth is to complete the game with zero Alerts.

Really? The FAQ I read to know what the requirements were told me a different thing... Oh well. And I don't know how to capture Tsuchinoko, I've always wanted to try it, but I've moved on to other games by that time.

TheSL
08-13-2007, 06:33 AM
Oh trust me - that is the Tomm-approved method for defeating him. Also try: The End vs. Shotgun!

That was how I beat him my first play through, but the second time I thought it was much more fun to try this: The End vs Exploding Barrel at the docks

And I don't know how to capture Tsuchinoko, I've always wanted to try it, but I've moved on to other games by that time.

Its just kind of milling around in the area where you fight The Fear. All you have to do is lay out some mouse traps, wait around for a bit and retrieve them. It may take a few tries before he's in there, but it'll happen eventually. Then you just have to keep ahold of him to the end of the game(including recapturing him once).

cortbassist89
08-13-2007, 06:54 AM
I always try to get past the Bolshaya Past Base with no alerts, it's such a hassle there if you don't... but I never can. Damn you X button, making me stand up when I meant to just get on my knees! Damn you to hell!

Are we allowed to skip the fight with the End? I enjoy it, but it's just so long. I usually just snipe him earlier on in the game.

Maggie
08-13-2007, 12:42 PM
I always try to get past the Bolshaya Past Base with no alerts, it's such a hassle there if you don't... but I never can. Damn you X button, making me stand up when I meant to just get on my knees! Damn you to hell!

Are we allowed to skip the fight with the End? I enjoy it, but it's just so long. I usually just snipe him earlier on in the game.

Then you've gotta deal with the annoying Ocelot guys, though. And don't they force you to kill them all/take them out before proceeding?

Alixsar
08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm surprised that people actually take the "Stealth" approach to MGS3. You all do realize that if an alarm is triggered all you have to do is kill all of the reinforcements and then the alarm stops, right? I remember that during my first time through back in 2004, I would crawl everywhere, never go anywhere unless if my stealth rating was 85% or more and so on. I eventually figured out that if I committed genocide and killed every Russian I saw, I'd be alright and the game became infinitely more fun. For reference, I spent close to two hours doing the Virtuous Mission. My second time through the game, Virtuous Mission took me less than five minutes.

So screw this "I'm not gonna get seen/no-kill" challenge stuff. I recommend you guys do what my friends and I did and do the "zombie/naked" challenge. Get the zombie facepaint, take your shirt off, only use the knife and CQC except in boss fights, and kill everyone. It's a blast.

Parish
08-13-2007, 01:06 PM
To answer: You're allowed to do anything you want, whether it's sniping The End or killing everyone. The more diverse approaches people take, the more interesting anecdotes will result.

SlimJimm
08-13-2007, 01:16 PM
So screw this "I'm not gonna get seen/no-kill" challenge stuff. Get the zombie facepaint, take your shirt off, only use the knife and CQC except in boss fights, and kill everyone. It's a blast.

A man after my own heart.

I like MGS, but I find 2 and 3 a lot easier than the MGS1 because there arent infinite enemies to kill you when you are spotted. I usually get behind most enemies and slit their throats but of course this makes The Sorrow boss take forever.

Maggie
08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
I like all the sneaking and stuff, though. It was more fun online, but there's still that fun hide-and-seek feel to it.

Guy
08-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Someday I'm going to kill every enemy with shots to the crotch just so the fight with The Sorrow will be entirely populated with ghosts clutching their junk.

Anonymooo
08-13-2007, 04:15 PM
You have an admirable goal, Guy, one that I'll also try on my next play-through. XD

I usually only try limiting my camo to Olive, Woodland, or Tiger Stripe, and then using only the Mk22 or 1911 in firefights and then CQCing as many people as possible. Fighting The Boss using only CQC is fun, but I'll explain that in better detail when the thread is made.

For bosses where I don't have to use any form of stealth (i.e. anybody but The End), I usually just go for Naked or Olive camo and go nuts with the 1911. Fighting Ocelot on a new play-through with the Peacemaker is a blast, though, especially on those rare occasions when you quick-draw with him and win (I didn't get any of that this time, sadly--I had to fight like Clint Eastwood instead of John Wayne).

Parish
08-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Someday I'm going to kill every enemy with shots to the crotch just so the fight with The Sorrow will be entirely populated with ghosts clutching their junk.
Yeah, Sharkey's already done that. We were talking about it this morning. Then Penny Arcade posted this (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/08/13). It was eerie.

cortbassist89
08-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Yeah, Sharkey's already done that. We were talking about it this morning. Then Penny Arcade posted this (http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/08/13). It was eerie.
Much more satisfying, imo: populating aforementioned fight with nearly-headless ghosts spurting blood fountains. I think I might belong to the Darkside.

I like to be as stealthy as possible, but not so much that no alarms trip. I enjoy fighting my way out of what can become instense manhunts; it makes me feel very accomplished.

Alex Scott
08-13-2007, 07:19 PM
Well, I was trying not to kill anybody, but I accidentally shot an Ocelot because I forgot to switch it with the tranq after pulling it out of my backpack. I'm still not sure about killing regular guards--I've always been uncomfortable with killing people in games when I don't have to.

Bosses, on the other hand, are totally fair game. I just had to wail on the Pain with the Patriot.

bobservo
08-13-2007, 09:35 PM
I originally played through this way back when, and this time I'm going for a no-kill playthrough. It's working pretty well, and the Subsistence camera system is making things much easier than they used to be. Stalking a guard from behind instead of from some pre-determined angle is MUCH more satisfying. I do find myself snapping to the old camera system sometimes, because it's set up to show the player where to go and what to do.

New things I've discovered so far (haven't beaten the Ocelot fight yet):

- If you shake down Ocelot the first time you meet him, you get a mousetrap.
- If you go to the X-Ray mode in the cure screen a few times, the skeleton Snake will begin flexing or doing other things.
- Subsistence must have more R1 moments during the cinemas, because I don't remember Snake looking at Eva's boobs this much.

Oh, and the ground-slam CQC move is completely great. I guess I never realized that on my first time through because I was mercilessly slaughtering everything in my path.

There are also a few clumsy lines in the game(so far), which can be chalked up to a rushed or sloppy localization. It's mostly just awkward repitition of words in the same sentence: "In World War Two, she was the finest soldier in that war."

Ulognep
08-13-2007, 09:41 PM
Fun! I haven't played through MGS but once, and that was nigh on 3 years ago now. It should be fun to revisit the game, but since I've seen the damn cut scenes already I'll be skipping them this time to focus on having fun with baddies.

I've decided to play through the entire game (or as much as it will allow me) in no face paint and the tuxedo. One complaint right off the bat: you can't do any CQC in the tuxedo! What's with that? Circle merely provides some good ol' fashioned limb flailing. So no benefit of camo and no CQC. Should be an interesting playthrough.

Lord, I am getting creamed. I've been up through the fight with 8 ocelot baddies, and I've died so many times already that I'm embarrassed. I'm sort of taking a mixed approach to stealth and killery, in order to maximize the ludicrous elements of the game. I'm capturing some video too, so we'll see what comes of that.

Maggie
08-13-2007, 10:04 PM
One thing I'm wondering about is the part when you first meet Sokolov and he asks where Snake learned his Russian. Didn't he, in the original version, answer "From my master?"

In Subsistence, he says "From my mentor" which sounds a whole lot better. But maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

Zef
08-13-2007, 10:07 PM
Nope, he said "From my mentor" in Snake Eater too.

Maggie
08-13-2007, 10:31 PM
Weird. I wonder if I'm just insane. Did he ever call her his master at all? Maybe I was just reading some weird fanfiction at the time and it bled over into other parts of my life.

Probably gonna need to call and appologize to some people if that's the case.

Ulognep
08-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Did he ever call her his master at all? Maybe I was just reading some weird fanfiction at the time and it bled over into other parts of my life.

Eewwwww! You know that's his mom, right?

TheSL
08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Eewwwww! You know that's his mom, right?

Ummm....no it isn't.

sraymonds
08-14-2007, 09:59 AM
ARRRGGHHH. I need a quick-load button. I'm trying to play this game without any alerts, but it's not working...

Kishi
08-14-2007, 10:04 AM
- If you shake down Ocelot the first time you meet him, you get a mousetrap.
And if you set it before the bridge scene, it'll still be there when you return for Operation Snake Eater. Since you normally don't find any mousetraps until the base at Bolshaya Past, this is a good way to catch food (and Tsuchinoko) early on.

- Subsistence must have more R1 moments during the cinemas, because I don't remember Snake looking at Eva's boobs this much.

I hate to say it, but no, he was always like that.

There are also a few clumsy lines in the game(so far), which can be chalked up to a rushed or sloppy localization. It's mostly just awkward repitition of words in the same sentence: "In World War Two, she was the finest soldier in that war."

I hope to god MGS4 enjoys a better localization than MGS3's. There's an R1 scene much later in the game where you see The Boss silently flap her lips for about five seconds before her voice actress finally utters "Run!" And if you found Snake and Campbell's conversation leading into Snake Vs. Monkey somewhat impenetrable, well, suffice to say it's not just because you haven't played Ape Escape.

Parish
08-14-2007, 10:37 AM
Hey, everyone, please keep the story spoilage to a minimum here. This thread is for the first few hours of the game, so maybe it would be cool if you didn't talk about revelations from the finale here, OK?

TheSL
08-14-2007, 10:39 AM
Sorry about that. :(

Vahn16
08-14-2007, 06:10 PM
I'm only a couple hours in (outside the hut where Sokolov is being kept) and I really suck at this game. If there's one thing I can do, it's get guards to notice me. I crawl silently through the grass, pop out and tranq someone, and then, oh boy, another guard comes over to check before I drag myself to the first guards unconscious body. Yay, now I'm on alert, this is excellent! Time to kill all the guards -- again! I don't remember failing this badly at MGS2 -- I guess I take better to whiny men and big industrial complexes. It's a good thing I've got my Raiden mask! Joking aside, I'd be extremely grateful if you guys could give me some tips. It's getting kind of frustrating.

I really want to enjoy this game. Whenever someone talks about the game here at Talking Time, it sounds like pure, distilled fun. I just can't seem to replicate all of the awesome you guys speak of. I'm gonna keep at it, though -- I'll at least give it until I'm a few more hours in.

Maggie
08-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Unless you're sure you can spare the time, don't even bother dragging guards around. Just wait for the next guard to come and investigate and pop him, too.

It's taken me this long just to get through that area you mentioned without getting spotted, so it's not overly easy.

Eusis
08-14-2007, 06:49 PM
I've gone through a few more areas and reached Bolshaya Past Base. I've been using the Patriot to shoot things and either hit the frogs or disable the fences, and it worked fine in Bolshaya Past South, only pissing off the dog. However, I try that with the frog in the base, and it goes into Alert. That area was too tightly packed, though I didn't realized they'd figure out that I was hiding under the bed. Wasted way too many tranqulizers at Bolshaya Past South too, with putting enemies to sleep... As they kicked each other awake. Man, I already got my jollies from that out of Substance and Twin Snakes. :P

bobservo
08-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Joking aside, I'd be extremely grateful if you guys could give me some tips.

Find the paths of guards, or lure them to you and slam them to the ground (press Circle hard and hold it in). Even if they see you, you can usually get them before they have a chance to get their radio. It's non-lethal, and you'll have plenty of time to do stuff while they're knocked out.

Oh, and don't forget to shake them down.

Parish
08-14-2007, 09:23 PM
Vahn, the few few hours were more a chore than a pleasure for me, too. The game didn't really click for me until I was allowed to go beyond Russvet -- so, what? Four, five hours in? Stick with it... the game does get better.

It also helps to become accustomed to the more organic layouts of the different areas. This isn't like the first two games, where everything was contained in a rigid industrial structure. I'd recommend (1) learning to make judicious use of the motion detector and (2) use a good speaker system or set of headphones so you can get a sense of your enemies' relative locations and distance based on their footsteps. That doesn't help against stationary soldiers, but it's a good start.

dussssstin
08-14-2007, 11:06 PM
Oh wow I want to go back to this one especially now that I have some sort of understanding of CQC (My first run through the game was horrible).

As much as I would like to make time for this one thanks to Parish's 5 survivalist party I'm addicted to Etrian right now.

switchbeat
08-15-2007, 04:53 AM
Today is the first day I have off this week, so I'll be starting MGS3 in about five minutes!

Petie
08-15-2007, 07:23 AM
I picked up a copy of MGS3 from a Blockbuster sale about two years back and it's never been in my PS2. Might as well start now.

Zef
08-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Well, guys, I tried. I really, really tried. :( The game's just too brutal for me, even on Easy. Four hours in, and I'm still clinging to the darkness and lying on grassy spots while watching out for patrols, and I haven't even made it to the Ocelot fight (?) that ends this section of the Fun Club (I don't even know how much I have yet to go to get there.) Four hours into MGS1 and 2 I had already fought Vulcan Raven and Fortune, but here I'm frustrated by my complete inability to progress at all. Worse, every single attempt at CQC ends up with me wildly punching and kicking a soldier in the back of the head, getting spotted, and having to either flee or kill the soldier before reinforcements arrive.

Incidentally, that makes Snake Eater sort of a survival-horror game for me. I stopped playing Fatal Frame for months because I was genuinely afraid of the Wandering Monk ghosts in the Third Night. Here, I lie hidden inside a hollow tree trunk for a small eternity because I know that, the instant I peek out, I'll be spotted by a guard I never saw and all my careful planning and observation will go out the window. I didn't care all that much about it in the previous games because there was a ton of hiding places and obstacles in the artificial environments; in this game, where the jungle itself has to cover me, my camo index does nothing once I've been sighted and I start running from enemy fire.

I'll get back to it someday. Probably. But if I was leery of getting Subsistence before, it's completely out of the question now.

cortbassist89
08-15-2007, 08:52 AM
Damn man.... damn.

I guess MGS3 was just never meant for some.

Adrenaline
08-15-2007, 09:08 AM
But if I was leery of getting Subsistence before, it's completely out of the question now.

Well, Subsistence's camera DOES make it significantly easier.

Petie
08-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Well, Subsistence's camera DOES make it significantly easier.

Man alive, I'm sure it couldn't make it any harder. I've sat still and watched enemies more than I've moved. However, I will admit I like the sense of tension that gives the game.

And the nods to previous MGS games are nice, especially the "more of a revolver technique" bit when you first meet Ocelot. I assume this first encounter with him isn't the one referenced in this section? If so, that was kind of short.

TheSL
08-15-2007, 10:55 AM
I assume this first encounter with him isn't the one referenced in this section? If so, that was kind of short.

Nope, there's an actual boss fight coming up in a while.

Tomm Guycot
08-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Well, guys, I tried. I really, really tried. :( The game's just too brutal for me, even on Easy. Four hours in, and I'm still clinging to the darkness and lying on grassy spots while watching out for patrols, and I haven't even made it to the Ocelot fight (?) that ends this section of the Fun Club (I don't even know how much I have yet to go to get there.) Four hours into MGS1 and 2 I had already fought Vulcan Raven and Fortune, but here I'm frustrated by my complete inability to progress at all. Worse, every single attempt at CQC ends up with me wildly punching and kicking a soldier in the back of the head, getting spotted, and having to either flee or kill the soldier before reinforcements arrive.

Incidentally, that makes Snake Eater sort of a survival-horror game for me. I stopped playing Fatal Frame for months because I was genuinely afraid of the Wandering Monk ghosts in the Third Night. Here, I lie hidden inside a hollow tree trunk for a small eternity because I know that, the instant I peek out, I'll be spotted by a guard I never saw and all my careful planning and observation will go out the window. I didn't care all that much about it in the previous games because there was a ton of hiding places and obstacles in the artificial environments; in this game, where the jungle itself has to cover me, my camo index does nothing once I've been sighted and I start running from enemy fire.

I'll get back to it someday. Probably. But if I was leery of getting Subsistence before, it's completely out of the question now.

I think playing on Subsistence would entirely fix your problem. You're struggling w/ the top down camera, which limits your view in all directions.

In subsistence, you can hide in the grass and rotate the camera 360 degrees to scan your environment for that one soldier who is going to spot you. It really makes the game a LOT easier.

Adrenaline
08-15-2007, 12:23 PM
I think playing on Subsistence would entirely fix your problem. You're struggling w/ the top down camera, which limits your view in all directions.

In subsistence, you can hide in the grass and rotate the camera 360 degrees to scan your environment for that one soldier who is going to spot you. It really makes the game a LOT easier.

Actually not really... hiding in grass moves to a first person view.

cortbassist89
08-15-2007, 12:37 PM
Actually not really... hiding in grass moves to a first person view.
Only in dense grass, I think. Regardless, you could kneel in the grass, that would raise your camo index while keeping you out of first person.

Petie
08-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Ah, yes, just finished the Ocelot boss fight. I couldn't much make use of the hornet nests, if they were even usable. Ocelot still went down like a little punk, though.

Now to find me some torches.

Kishi
08-15-2007, 01:48 PM
Were you able to shoot off his hat?

Maggie
08-15-2007, 02:08 PM

That was the most god-awfully annoying thing about MGO. Plus he gets the revolver with heat seeking bullets. It's madness!

Then again, the Reikos can knock someone unconcious instantly with the Sunrise Suplex, so I guess it kind of evens out.

switchbeat
08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
I had to turn off the PS2 for the day. My last save was just after I "woke up." I'm really glad I've finally taken the time to start this game. Unfortunately, I won't be able to resume the game until Saturday.

Petie
08-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Sadly, no. I was able to shoot the smug look off his face, for a while at least.

p-natsu
08-15-2007, 10:31 PM
I... am very much not good at this game :( As soon as I got spotted, it all went to hell in a hand basket. ^^;;

This is my very first <strike>MSG</strike> MGS game -- anyone have any stealth/combat tips? I got right up to a bridge in the very first mission before I fell off it (don't ask).

Foolishly, I tranq'ed some of the crocodiles before I realized I should have probably just killed them. This is after I drowned the first time when I tried to crawl through the mud.

LOL

Parish
08-16-2007, 12:32 AM
Sure, some tips: Sneaking is everything. Never run around unless you're sure the current area is enemy-free -- stay low by crawling and crouching. Kojima makes heavy use of the analog functionality of the controller, and you fell off the bridge because you ran. Ease up and walk instead (and if you fall, press Triangle twice to get a better grip and then pull yourself up).

Remember that enemies have a decent line of sight and an even better range of hearing. But if you're out of hearing range, don't bother using a silencer... they're hard to come by.

Finally, there's no shame whatsoever in playing on Easy or Very Easy if you're new to the series. It's a tricky game with complex mechanics and fairly demanding expectations.

clone47
08-16-2007, 09:25 AM
That's funny, I haven't found silencers hard to come by at all... but maybe I'm just looting more guards.

Parish
08-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Yeah, I stay low and don't do much in the way of shaking down. I didn't actually even realize that the guards carry suppressors.

Kishi
08-16-2007, 10:15 AM
You'll actually get more (and better) items from guards if you hold them up or tranquilize them, as opposed to just killing them. See, even if you're low on compassion or discipline, there's still a self-serving reason to avoid murder.

alexb
08-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Beyond saving yourself 20 minutes of walking upstream later in the game?

p-natsu
08-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I think I will start over tonight on very easy and try it again. =D

bobservo
08-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Just beat the Ocelot fight today, and I think I may have accidentally killed a gaurd in the area right before the boss encounter. I put down some dynamite in the weapons and rations rooms, and when I blew then up, I heard the "item appeared" noise. But now that I think of it, I may have just killed a rat.

Does anyone know if the soldiers after the caves will be affected by my blow-uppery? This is the first time I realized that I was able to do this sort of thing so early in the game.

Rosencrantz
08-16-2007, 06:17 PM
I finally finished Rogue Galaxy (by which I mean, "beat the game but didn't bother doing the post-game dungeon or collecting all the extra shit") and started up on MGS3.

I just remembered why I hate the beginning part where you have to sneak into Sokolov's room: I went through quietly, tranquilizing everyone in my path, but then was spotted. So, I'm hiding beneath the building waiting out the Caution timer, when the guys I knocked out start waking back up, which resets the damn Caution timer. And now I'm back to square one.

VsRobot
08-16-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm starting to figure out how to play this game.

God damn there are a lot of cinemas. I never knew!

It seems pretty random whether I'm going to throw a guard to the ground or slit the guards throat.

I also can't shoot anything, ever. Is there a trick to it? I hit square and bring the gun up, hold square until I think I'm aiming at someone/something, and then release square. This takes so long that I've been shot or aligator bit or whatever a hundred times.

Right now I'm about to swim across a lake, right after meeting EVA and being ambushed by Ocelot.

Kishi
08-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Does anyone know if the soldiers after the caves will be affected by my blow-uppery? This is the first time I realized that I was able to do this sort of thing so early in the game.

I'm pretty sure the guards after the cave are affected by the armory beyond the left branch of the river and the food stores in the warehouse on the way to Graniny Gorki. The sabotage at Bolshaya Past Base only affects Bolshaya Past guards, which is kind of useless since the base is the last area in that region before you leave it behind forever. Think of it as live training, I guess.

VsRobot
08-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I'm starting to figure out how to play this game.

God damn there are a lot of cinemas. I never knew!

It seems pretty random whether I'm going to throw a guard to the ground or slit the guards throat.

I also can't shoot anything, ever. Is there a trick to it? I hit square and bring the gun up, hold square until I think I'm aiming at someone/something, and then release square. This takes so long that I've been shot or aligator bit or whatever a hundred times.

Right now I'm about to swim across a lake, right after meeting EVA and being ambushed by Ocelot.

Kishi
08-16-2007, 07:02 PM

While wielding the gun with Square, hold R1 to go into First Person View, which allows for precision aiming. With certain guns, you can also hold L1 to line up the sights with your line of vision for even better accuracy.

Really, the only time you shouldn't aim with these buttons is when you're running and gunning.

cortbassist89
08-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Yes. Whereas in MGS1 and 2 it wasn't such a bad idea to shoot without 1st person (in MGS1 you couldn't, and in MGS2 there was a lock-on button), in MGS3 you're pretty much fucked if you don't use precision aiming.

I think there's some poser-kind-of-a-lock-on in MGS3 but I've never gotten it to work well enough to consider it worthwhile.

VsRobot
08-16-2007, 08:40 PM
I finished the Ocelot boss fight! Still, I'm only playing to see the story play out right now. Moving from area to area triggering alerts and running to the next area isn't exactly tons of fun.

alexb
08-17-2007, 08:09 AM
That is my favorite boss fight. It's the music. I would always select that theme when playing MGO.

Ulognep
08-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I made a short video of my exploits in a tuxedo. This is all within part 1 of the Fun Club, so this seemed like the best place to post it. I hope you all enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it!

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxLaFlVPqUE"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FxLaFlVPqUE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

Merus
08-17-2007, 11:07 PM
I found getting to Sokolov the first time actually pretty piss-easy: I went around the side, and there was a ladder there.

I am, however, a little bit stuck when you go back there a week later and meet Lilith, er, EVE, and then the guards come. I'm pretty sure she's going to betray Snake at some point.

SlimJimm
08-18-2007, 09:36 AM
I see someone likes to play with grenades. :D

Anyway, while first person shooting in MGS3 is a necessity I wish that pressing R1 would keep you in First Person Mode. If it was some sort of toggle button instead of going back to 3rd person when you let go would help so much with the control scheme.