PDA

View Full Version : Theoretical Podcast Question

reibeatall
06-05-2007, 10:39 PM
So, people of Neo-Talking Time, after Third Impact while we were huddled away at Nerd Hampton, I had mentioned I wanted to start up a podcast. Edit: It's a gaming podcast.

Since I'm seriously considering this, I'd just like some suggestions/opinions/comments.

What the hell do you want in a podcast? Is there anything that you absolutely hate? If I could just get a gist of what to avoid and what might work, that'd be supper.

Red Hedgehog
06-05-2007, 10:43 PM
That's kind of a weird question. Unless you mentioned on nerdhampton what type of podcast it will be. But it sounds like you are asking us what type of podcast you should make. That is wrong.

You should only make a podcast covering subjects that interest you that you want to get out to the masses. Unless you are getting paid for it.

reibeatall
06-05-2007, 10:54 PM
Shit, I forgot to mention that it's a gaming podcast.

I just wanted to know if there's something that almost every podcast does that pisses people off.

poetfox
06-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Hmm... I listen to a lot of podcasts. Surely I can be of some help maybe... at least for random suggestions.

Keep your levels... level. I once listened to this one podcast, the guy's voice was so quiet I turned it way up, and then he went to a promo for another podcast and it was like BAM! So damn loud. So try to have a constant volume.

One of the key things I look for in a podcast is like... what to call it... I want to say... it has to be fun. I listen to... one... serious podcast, Security Now! It teaches me computer security stuff. But they still joke around a bit in between the lectures. It really does help to have at least someone else to play off of. At least I would assume so. It would also make the process more fun. Probably.

Other than that... I dunno. The only reason I have not kept listening to a podcast are if the subject matter doesn't interest me... well, except for this one gaming podcast where the guy's voice was literally so insanely annoying I couldn't listen to him for a second more... but he seemed like he was going out of his way to have a weird annoying voice.

Is any of this helpful? Probably not. I made about 25 episodes of a podcast nobody listened to, and I can't say I learned any tricks or anything, since it was, almost literally, just turning on the microphones and having me and my friends make asses of ourselves. Well, I did find that Audacity is good if you aren't using a Mac and Garage Band and want a free option for MP3 fiddling.

Bleh, this whole post is a garbled mess, I'm sorry.

Vahn16
06-05-2007, 11:57 PM
Actually, that was really helpful. There were some technical details I hadn't even thought about. Any help is very much appreciated.

(I'll probably be involved in this podcast too.)

blitzchamp
06-06-2007, 07:10 AM
Hmm... I listen to a lot of podcasts. Surely I can be of some help maybe... at least for random suggestions.

Keep your levels... level. I once listened to this one podcast, the guy's voice was so quiet I turned it way up, and then he went to a promo for another podcast and it was like BAM! So damn loud. So try to have a constant volume.

One of the key things I look for in a podcast is like... what to call it... I want to say... it has to be fun. I listen to... one... serious podcast, Security Now! It teaches me computer security stuff. But they still joke around a bit in between the lectures. It really does help to have at least someone else to play off of. At least I would assume so. It would also make the process more fun. Probably.

Other than that... I dunno. The only reason I have not kept listening to a podcast are if the subject matter doesn't interest me... well, except for this one gaming podcast where the guy's voice was literally so insanely annoying I couldn't listen to him for a second more... but he seemed like he was going out of his way to have a weird annoying voice.

Is any of this helpful? Probably not. I made about 25 episodes of a podcast nobody listened to, and I can't say I learned any tricks or anything, since it was, almost literally, just turning on the microphones and having me and my friends make asses of ourselves. Well, I did find that Audacity is good if you aren't using a Mac and Garage Band and want a free option for MP3 fiddling.

Bleh, this whole post is a garbled mess, I'm sorry.

I agree about the voices. If someones voice is annoying I tend to tune out of a podcast. Like when some special guests go on EGMLive, sometimes their voices just make my mind wander around since they voices are stagnant.

Dampe
06-06-2007, 01:56 PM
This may not apply to you if you are going to do your podcast solo, but the thing that annoys me the most is two or more people laughing hysterically at every other word that is said. Actually this probably my gripe with pretty much any radio show, on or offline.

VsRobot
06-06-2007, 08:32 PM
I don't much care for Skype podcasts. For example, Player One Podcast has some interesting guys on, but the awkwardness and general slowness of the conversation really detracts from my enjoyment. My suggestion for any new podcasts is to try and get all the participants in the same room if at all possible.

Red Hedgehog
06-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Hmm... I really like the pace of Player One Podcast. I like it more than 1up Yours, for example.

j00ey
06-06-2007, 10:56 PM
you will never please anyone. keep that in mind and you should do great!!!

reibeatall
06-06-2007, 11:13 PM
you will never please anyone. keep that in mind and you should do great!!!

Thank you.