PDA

View Full Version : Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village

Kolbe
06-06-2007, 08:26 AM
Is it coming or what? I haven't heard anything about this game coming to America, and two other Layton titles have been announced in Japan!

Does anyone knows anything?

Calorie Mate
06-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I haven't heard anything either, but I hope we do soon. I'd really like to play this one.

Kishi
06-06-2007, 04:15 PM
Wasn't this the first game Level 5 published themselves? I don't imagine they have the resources to pull that off abroad just yet, in which case they could still be looking for an American publisher. Hopefully, this is where Atlus comes in and saves the day yet again.

alexb
06-06-2007, 06:10 PM
Where's Nich? Now that I think about it, has he been seen since the reboot?

sfried
06-06-2007, 06:11 PM
Wasn't this the first game Level 5 published themselves? I don't imagine they have the resources to pull that off abroad just yet, in which case they could still be looking for an American publisher. Hopefully, this is where Atlus comes in and saves the day yet again.

...Or maybe even Nintendo can publish it themselves, since their localization team is pretty familiar with the whole "mystery novel" theme...

alexb
06-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I really hope that Atlus gets it. Their work has a lot more flavor.

Kolbe
06-06-2007, 08:09 PM
Yes. They're much respectful of the original material.

Deadguy2322
06-07-2007, 05:54 AM

And they only print 50 copies per title, increasing the buttery godness!

Excitemike
06-07-2007, 06:43 AM
No slight to Atlus, but have you played Super Paper Mario? Or Pokemon D/P? Nintendo has had some great localization lately.

TheSL
06-07-2007, 07:10 AM
Or Pokemon D/P?

Yes with such gems as "If my mommy comes home with a baby boy its a brother. If she comes home with a baby girl its a sister" or something to that effect from a kid at the double battle restaurant. This is the reason why I could play through the JP release blind- none of the text in a Pokemon game outside of battle is worth reading in the first place.

tungwene
06-07-2007, 07:49 AM
Where's Nich? Now that I think about it, has he been seen since the reboot?I saw his name in an interview about Growlanser V on RPGamer last week. I was all like, "Oh neat, I know him!"

Erm, back on topic. I played the flash demo of this and it looks like it could be a lot of fun. Really digging the art style.

Squall
06-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Please, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Nintendo can localize the hell out of a game.

Kishi
06-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Well, there's only one way to settle this. Nich must engage Bill Trinen in a battle to the death.

alexb
06-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Please, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga. Nintendo can localize the hell out of a game.

I find Nintendo's work to be well done but very safe and bland. If the dullest fourth grader may not get the reference, they just dumb it down until he can. Do you think Nintendo would've translated Landsneckt, or would they have rendered it fighter? And Nicolai, yeah, I own all the games you just mentioned.

poetfox
06-07-2007, 01:31 PM
See, I always found that as a lot of the charm of the humor in things like Mario and Luigi and Paper Mario and such. There's nothing even potentially offensive. It's just genuinely funny. Sorta... like... makes you feel like a kid again kind of humor...
Granted, that may not be the best way to go with something more, at least potentially, serious and adult, but at the very least the art style of Layton that I've seen makes me feel that sort of writing wouldn't be completely out of place.

Excitemike
06-07-2007, 01:38 PM
I find Nintendo's work to be well done but very safe and bland. If the dullest fourth grader may not get the reference, they just dumb it down until he can.

digibutter.nerr?

jovewolf
06-07-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't know - some Nintendo translations are rather bland, such as Magical Starsign (but then, I don't think the source material was all that exciting either).

Then again they've also done stuff like Baten Kaitos Origins, which has the party selling their souls to what is essentially the devil of their world, a dual-gendered golem that is in love with the hero, and some genuinely gray-area characters, I'm inclined to say that can do a flavorful localization if they put their minds to it.

Chu
06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Then again they've also done stuff like Baten Kaitos Origins, which has the party selling their souls to what is essentially the devil of their world, a dual-gendered golem that is in love with the hero, and some genuinely gray-area characters, I'm inclined to say that can do a flavorful localization if they put their minds to it.

"I'll get wood. ... At the tree! TREE WOOD!"

alexb
06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
I know Nintendo publish Baten Kaitos II, but did they do the translation, too? And I'll concede that Chapter 3 in SPM was pretty clever, but still contend that the writing in most of their games is solid but bland. I like modern Nintendo translations. I like modern Atlus translations more.

(Also, are the voices any better in Baten Kaitos II?)

Alex
06-07-2007, 04:31 PM
The only thing I've heard is from a translated german article a few months ago.

Frankly I can't imagine this game not getting brought over here. If stuff like Contact and Izuna with extremely niche appeal can, I'm sure this series can too!

At least I desperately hope so.

Red Hedgehog
06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
I find Nintendo's work to be well done but very safe and bland. If the dullest fourth grader may not get the reference, they just dumb it down until he can. Do you think Nintendo would've translated Landsneckt, or would they have rendered it fighter? And Nicolai, yeah, I own all the games you just mentioned.

digibutter.nerr?

I was going to say the same thing. That's more out there than "Hit its weakpoint for massive damage." references.

Squall
06-07-2007, 06:02 PM
I will say that if you think Adult Swim is the pinnacle of humor, then I suppose Nintendo's translations are definitely not for you.

Calorie Mate
06-07-2007, 06:03 PM
I was going to say the same thing. That's more out there than "Hit its weakpoint for massive damage." references.

Aw, poor Tomm. I liked that joke.

alexb
06-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I will say that if you think Adult Swim is the pinnacle of humor, then I suppose Nintendo's translations are definitely not for you.

What have I done to earn the ad hominem attack, friend? I just think that Atlus tends to have somewhat stronger language and more diverse references. And I like that. And Tomm did the massive damage joke first. Nintendo did it many moons later, flogging a now-dead horse.

Chu
06-07-2007, 06:13 PM
Just for the record, yes I have heard of Professor Layton and the Mysterious Village and I would very much like to play it. Just so I don't look like a TOTAL thread derailer...

And yes, the voices in Baten Kaitos Origins are much, much better than the first game's.

Red Hedgehog
06-07-2007, 06:28 PM
I wasn't trying to say there was anything wrong with the "Massive Damage" jokes (and "It's Rizo island. Riiiiiizo Island!" was inspired too), just that far more people would be familiar with them than would get the reference in digitbutter.nerr

alexb
06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
I actually didn't get the reference. I thought it was just a made up nerdy forum.

Kolbe
07-14-2007, 12:53 PM
Well, it was about time (http://kotaku.com/gaming/e307/professor-layton-quietly-announced-for-domestic-release-277825.php)! Just the day before my birthday! :D

Alex
07-14-2007, 07:26 PM
Hooray! I personally can't wait. I don't care what else is coming out around the same time.

cartman414
07-14-2007, 08:35 PM
Should be worth checking out. By the way, in Japan, it's crossed the 500,000 mark. Pretty amazing. Level 5 must be pleased.

Calorie Mate
07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Any idea who's bringing it over? I'm afraid this game will burn me badly. I'm not a big fan of brain training puzzles, but I love the art style oh-so-much, that I probably won't be able to resist.

alexb
07-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Nintendo was announced as the publisher at E3, I believe.