PDA

View Full Version : NaNoWriMo 2009

spineshark
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Just a little over a month before this kicks off again!

...and I already feel behind. The ideas I had from last year haven't really grown much, and while I had a concept strike me a couple months ago that I like a lot, it's being absurdly difficult to plot as well, though it's ludicrously simple in theory: a woman (probably) wakes up from cryogenic freezing with all of her human consciousness erased, while humanity is gone and everything is in ruins around her. That's just what I get for having only one character though, and one without any "greater" purpose at that.

I really like the idea on the whole though, mainly because it'll be so straightforward if I can pull it off, and also because I won't have to suffer through trying to write dialogue.

So, who else is going to be putting themselves up to this extreme challenge once again, and what are y'all thinking about?

Mightyblue
09-27-2009, 10:19 PM
Maybe. It depends how work intensive my final "thesis" is going to be. Which is probably going to be a short story about the apocalypse, once I get some ideas off the ground. I do have one solid idea for my thesis, less so something for NaNo. I'll think of something, and if nothing else, I can always try to redo one of my ideas from when I was fifteen or something.

Thraeg
09-28-2009, 09:54 AM
Every year, I want to try this, but I know for sure I won't have time this year.

ThornGhost
09-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Yeah, probably.
I made it to like 15,000 words last year and petered out. It's difficult! You get a little behind and a little more and eventually you're so worried about being behind that you don't feel like writing at all.
Sometimes I think that the challenge is a little TOO steep on this.
That being said, I'll probably dust off the ol' manuscript and keep plunking at it. I've worked at it some since then, but not as furiously as Nano2k8.

cortbassist89
09-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Hmm. I guess I kinda have time for this.

I may try it this year!

I will likely not finish again.

Aquadeo
09-28-2009, 08:28 PM
I'm in it for sure: as a matter of fact, I'll be helping with the "ML Mentor" program, making sure that first-time MLs have a bit of extra support when getting their region running smoothly. I'm looking forward to meeting a whole bunch of new Internet people this way!

But what of my novel? Well, I wrote 50,000 "words" last year, but it wasn't worth more than a short story or two. It was my biggest failure in six years of NaNoWriMo. You know what I think my problem was? An overdose of artistic inspiration in September. Sweeping vistas and the majesty of nature and all that rot. Afterwards, I was overconfident that "something would come to me", when I would have been better off just writing something about giant robots fighting.

So this year, I'm sticking with what I know: I'll be writing about curling! With perhaps a dream sequence that has giant robots fighting.

spineshark
09-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I tried to write from my experiences my first year, and it turned out depressing and tedious. (If anything, I guess that really does prove that I should start trying to do something with my life, but it's really quite pleasant on a day-to-day basis) Last year I ran out of plot around 30,000 words. Especially with the pressure to keep just writing, I just couldn't make myself not get to the chase, and writing scenes that were predominantly character development or dialogue were torture*. I did have ideas for where things were going after that climax, but they weren't really hashed out enough to be writable. I got closer, but that made the failure seem even worse, when I felt like I was tripping myself up for dumb reasons.

Sometimes I feel like I'm reaching too hard to try and be deep or creative, when it seems like it has to be easy to churn out 50,000 words of hunting magical things and fighting orcs, but at the same time, I really know that if I'm writing something I think is too dumb and insubstantial I really can't get into it and I'd be screwed. I've gotten tons of compliments for my (nonfiction) writing from teachers and my family, so maybe there's just something in my brain that makes me think everything I write is even worse than it actually is.

*hell, all the scenes where things happened sucked too, because I was never satisfied with the ways I was trying to embellish them and they mostly turned into generic "he got hit in the head" stuff, but at least I was able to force myself through them.

Lucas
09-29-2009, 05:21 PM
Hey, maybe this would be a good excuse to expand on the idea I had a few years ago for a story about the players of a Planetside-esque MMO. At the time I only came up with a dramatis personae and did a bit of fleshing out of some characters, but just a week or so ago I came up with a very basic idea for actual plot.

Very, very basic.

Rosewood
09-30-2009, 03:37 PM
Oh man, it's coming again already. I won in 2002, but that's the last time. I got about halfway through last year. Stupid MMOs. I'm hoping they are off my plate entirely for 2010.

Tanto
09-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Hmm. I guess I kinda have time for this.

I may try it this year!

This, pretty much. One of the small comforts of being unemployed is that I have copious amounts of free time to waste on something like this. Maybe I'll dust off one of my two-dozen-or-so story sketches and try to actually build something out of it. Like the one about female aviators in a Roaring Twenties-styled fantasy world.

Stiv
10-04-2009, 11:32 AM
I might actually try this again this year since for once I'll have free time in November. Crazy.

spineshark
10-18-2009, 07:00 AM
giant robots fighting.
The more I try to figure things out, the more stuck I get, and the more appealing it seems to take some pages out of this book. Even I know that fighting robots are cool. Maybe I can make the robot pilots, uhh, robots!

BEAT
10-18-2009, 07:14 AM
Last year I wanted to do this, but November is when exam crunch happens, so that wasn't gonna fly.

This year though, I'm taking the semester off and am Still looking for a new job. And I have this idea for a story I think has some potential.

So yeah. I think I'll have to give this a shot.

BEAT
10-18-2009, 07:50 AM
Why do you exist, double post?

VorpalEdge
10-18-2009, 09:54 AM
Copy-pasting text doesn't count towards the 50k words, just fyi. ;)

Karzac
10-20-2009, 08:38 PM
This is the first time I've decided to participate in NaNo, and I'm really excited. However, right after signing up I realized that Dragon Age also comes out in November and I was very much looking forward to devoted much of my time to playing it.

This is the eternal struggle between videogames and work here, and I'm afraid that videogames might win. I'll try to be strong, but I don't know if I'll be able to handle the pressure.

Bongo Bill
10-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I could do the same thing as the last two years, and launch headfirst into it but run out of steam at around ten thousands. Instead, I might try a different tack. Maybe launch an Anacrusis (http://www.xorph.com/anacrusis/) ripoff.

Aquadeo
10-21-2009, 07:12 PM
My struggle this year is going to be the fact that my Festivus gift is going to take a bit of effort, so I'm going to have to work on that as well all next month.

Oh, I hear you. Fortunately, someone in my writing region has the skills I need for this, so I'll have her to ask for advice. Networking, I tells ya. Makes the world go 'round.

Oh, and by the way... Welcome to my own personal Let's Play "Shantae": I've decided to livecast my writing, on streaming video. Most of the time, it'll just be a camera fixed on my writing desk, so that people can see just how glamourous NaNoWriMo is. But also, from 21h30 to 22h30 each night, I'll turning up the interaction, and turning it into a novelling talk show.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/late-write-featuring-aquadeo

I have no idea what will come of this. But I do know that I'm already in too far to quit.

spineshark
10-24-2009, 02:48 AM
Wow, I'm screwed, a week left (until it starts...) and I've still got nothing. I can't figure out how to plot some of my more defined ideas and more general concepts I like in theory like "giant robots" or "superheroes" just feel like they've been used up. I mean, they're certainly still entertaining, but I can't find an angle that feels new to me, and without that there's no way I can go on with it.

Aquadeo
10-25-2009, 01:29 PM
I just got back from a kick-off party... a good time, but one notable conversation was when I met up with a fellow who's planning to write a Persona 3 Akihiko/Shinjiro slashfic.

Take heart, fellow novelists: that bar isn't as high as you think it is.

Lucas
10-25-2009, 03:15 PM
After finding out I'd lost my notes for the story I wanted to write first, and the outline I made long ago for the second story I wanted to do, I realized last night that if I have time to do this, I have time to work on my LP. I know which one I promised to do first, but I'll probably still try to write at least some short legends for my D&D campaign setting or something this month.

Paul le Fou
10-26-2009, 12:40 AM
I think I'll take a swing at this. But which of my seeds to plant? Or maybe I'll... I'll... come up with something... original. My brain isn't used to working! This could be difficult.

reibeatall
10-26-2009, 08:45 AM
Do the rules of NaNoWriMo allow you to outline everything beforehand?

Aquadeo
10-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Woohoo! I hope no one minds if I toot my own horn a little:

http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3343528

My article's on the front page of the site! What a rush!

soulD
10-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Guess I'll try again this year. I didn't even get to 20.000 words the last time I tried though, so I'm not very optimistic.

Bongo Bill
10-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Beginning, conventionally, in three hours forty-three minutes.

spineshark
10-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Starting in about a minute, after I find a die and roll it to see which of these three ideas I'm actually writing. I have no specific planning written down for any of them! Not even little things like titles, character names...

reibeatall
11-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I've finally started, twelve hours late.