PDA

View Full Version : Misheard Lyrics

Dadgum Roi
10-21-2009, 09:58 AM
Recent:

I was listening to a Disturbed song called "Divide". The chorus sounds like the guy is screaming "Titty bite! Titty bite! Titty bite!" over and over again.

Dizzy
10-21-2009, 10:02 AM
Counting Crows - Big Yellow Taxis (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTC6m-a3U9w)

I'm sure you'll understand what's odd about this song.

O..O~
10-21-2009, 10:03 AM
http://cornonthekabob.ytmnd.com/

Phantoon
10-21-2009, 10:05 AM
My mate was convinced that the lyric went "Mattress dancer, do you ever (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fdakFQ7KvQ)".

Knight
10-21-2009, 10:08 AM
I can't think of any funny lyrics that I've misheard off the top of my head, but this does remind me of Wishmaster - The Misheard Lyrics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5_mlQOsUQ).

Pooch
10-21-2009, 10:09 AM
"Behind Blue Eyes" by the Who:

"No one knows what it's like
To be the Batman..."

When I was really young, I also misheard the lyric of "Getting Better" by the Beatles:

Actual:
I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved

I heard:
I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her to death...

Rosewood
10-21-2009, 10:12 AM
The only example I can think of is the old Monkees song "I'm a Believer." The line "When I needed sunshine, I got rain" sounds like "When I needed sunshine on my brain."

Knight
10-21-2009, 10:26 AM
Oh hey, I just remembered one that I misheard as a kid, Oye Como Va by Carlos Santana. I heard: Don't eat my Cocoa Puffs, Tonight.

Schmidt
10-21-2009, 10:40 AM
What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Dadgum Roi
10-21-2009, 10:45 AM
Oh hey, I just remembered one that I misheard as a kid, Oye Como Va by Carlos Santana. I heard: Don't eat my Cocoa Puffs, Tonight.

I can't place that at all.

Oye como va
mi ritmo
bueno pa' gozar
mulata

For years I thought the last line was "milagro" or "mi lado".

Warg
10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
I remember I'd mishear "Hey Paradise, put up a parking lot" as "Hey paradise, put up a f***ing light."

... it, uh, didn't really fit in with how the rest of the song sounded.

Phantoon
10-21-2009, 10:52 AM
I have a real problem with "Heart of Glass" by Blondie. As in, I can't work out what the lyrics are meant to be without outside help.

Dizzy
10-21-2009, 10:57 AM
I remember I'd mishear "Hey Paradise, put up a parking lot" as "Hey paradise, put up a f***ing light."

That's what I linked upthread.

Blondie is awesome.

Knight
10-21-2009, 11:00 AM
I can't place that at all.

For years I thought the last line was "milagro" or "mi lado".
I dunno man, I was like 4.

Kishi
10-21-2009, 11:01 AM
"Shot Down in Flames (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NGDwfDGBrM)" from Silent Hill Origins features the words "breath on the glass." Until I looked up the lyrics, I thought it was "ripped from the cracks."

I still think my version's spookier.

Reinforcements
10-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Blinded by the light, revved up like a douche...

Kazin
10-21-2009, 11:09 AM

Oh man, I always heard that too! How would one rev up a douche?

nadia
10-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Remember the song "How's it Gonna Be" by...Third Eye Blind, I think? Well, there's a line towards the end of the song that goes, "I wanna taste the salt of your skin/the salt of oblivion." My dad once pointed out that "the" sounds like "duh," and now I can't un-hear it.

cortbassist89
10-21-2009, 11:12 AM
Stone Temple Pilots is king of this. Pearl Jam being second of course.

STP- Tripping on a hole in a paper heart
Actual:
All dressed up on wedding day keep on trippin anyway
I am I am I said Im not myself, but Im not dead and Im not for sale
So keep your bankroll lottery eat your salad day deathbed motorcade

What I hear EVERY TIME:
All dressed up in chicken wings, keep on tastin' anyway
I am I am I said I'm not myself, I'm not gay and I'm not for sale
Ya rah rah rah rah rah rah fo mokay funky monkay.

Kazin
10-21-2009, 11:16 AM
I like your version better, cortbassist.

nadia
10-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Oh, and there's a song I really like by Hard-Fi called Cash Machine. The end lyric is, "There's a hole in my pocket, my pocket, my pocket," but thanks to my husband now it's "There's a hole in my pocky, my pocky, my pocky."

cortbassist89
10-21-2009, 11:24 AM
Not a lyric, but my stepmom is watching a show in the next room called "If these walls could talk" about the history of homes, and i swear the narrator just said these people found "an antique cyborg"

Nicholai
10-21-2009, 11:37 AM

This is the only one I can think of that I messed up.

taidan
10-21-2009, 11:38 AM

Thank you for posting this. This one is a classic I think - I've known many people who heard it this way, from different places and social circles.

cortbassist89
10-21-2009, 11:40 AM
I REFUSE to believe it is anything else.

Dadgum Roi
10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
What is the actual lyric? "Revved up like a douche" is all I can hear.

DemoWeasel
10-21-2009, 11:50 AM
So much (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk2PEKRKYMU) from Modest Mouse. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7MVxZv0WN4)

SAMPLE (from "I Came as a Rat")

Actual lyrics:

I came as ice
I came as a whore
I came as advice that came too short

What I heard:

I came as ass
I came as a whore
I came as advice that came too short

nadia
10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
What is the actual lyric? "Revved up like a douche" is all I can hear.

"Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night."

Lucas
10-21-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm going to guess the actual lyric is "deuce." As in "little deuce coupe" and others.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned the classic mondegreen "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy" yet.

Edit: Darn it, Nadia. :(

R.R. Bigman
10-21-2009, 11:58 AM
"Hey Sandy" by Polaris

Pooch
10-21-2009, 12:00 PM
Another classic -- though I never heard it that way -- is "There's a bathroom on the right" in CCR's "Bad Moon Rising."

Posaune
10-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Real winners turn the volume knob in their car way up and then back down when the word deuce is spoken so it is all like "Revved up like DOUCHE, another runner in the night"

Reinforcements
10-21-2009, 12:02 PM
I suppose "there's a bathroom on the right" is pretty much too ubiquitous to mention at this point. Fallout Boy is pretty unintelligable though - I could never figure out half the lyrics to "Sugar We're Going Down", to say nothing of "This Ain't a Sea, It's a God Chair Ass Face". Fallout Boy is also terrible, so no great loss.

[edit] - Dammit, Pooch.

Pooch
10-21-2009, 12:05 PM
[edit] - Dammit, Pooch.

MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

DemoWeasel
10-21-2009, 12:18 PM
I could never figure out half the lyrics to "Sugar We're Going Down".

=) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyhJgEJ8KCQ)

keele864
10-21-2009, 02:03 PM
In the film Once, one of the female lead's songs features the words "when others say I lie." Her Czech accent makes it sound like "when otters say I lie."

Sekatsim
10-21-2009, 02:09 PM
For a little while I thought the opening lyric to Madonna's La Isla Bonita was "Last night I dreamt of some bagels."

Phantoon
10-21-2009, 02:24 PM
For a little while I thought the opening lyric to Madonna's La Isla Bonita was "Last night I dreamt of some bagels."

I thought it was "Last night I dreamt of lumbago."

Onomarchus
10-21-2009, 03:51 PM
In the film Once, one of the female lead's songs features the words "when others say I lie." Her Czech accent makes it sound like "when otters say I lie."

Shades of Citadel of the Otter!

To make a proper contribution, a friend of mine initially heard a line as "It's Sonic the raging hedgehog." I bet most of you can guess the song and correct line to which I refer. Answer spoilered below for those who cannot.

"It's Sonic the raping Hedgehog" from the song "Rapist Hedgehog." I mined this gem from Overlooked Remix.

Sheana
10-21-2009, 04:06 PM
There's this one bit in Mozart's Dies Irae where I swear to God it sounds like they're chanting "Phil Rizzuto, Phil Rizzuto". It's all I can ever hear.

Alastor
10-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I try to say goodbye and I choke
Try to walk away and I stumble
Though I try to hide it, it's clear
I want waffles when you're on my ear

Alixsar
10-24-2009, 03:50 PM

Oh man, I always heard that too!

I always heard it as "ripped up like a douche, to the boner in the night".

"Revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night."

WHAAATTT

My version is way better.

Another classic -- though I never heard it that way -- is "There's a bathroom on the right" in CCR's "Bad Moon Rising."

I heard it the right way the first time, and every time since it's been bathroom on the right.

Mouth is alive with juices like wine
And I'm hungry like the wolf

I always heard it as "Mouses alive! Juice is like wine.". When I was a kid I thought it was because he must've been hungry. I mean, a wolf could eat a mouse, and then wash it down with some juice. And grape juice is sort of like wine since you take grapes but it's...I dunno man, I was five. It made sense at the time.

Azar
10-24-2009, 04:00 PM
I always heard it as "ripped up like a douche, to the boner in the night".

"Officially" it's deuce, but there's just no way that word isn't meant to be interpreted as douche.

ArugulaZ
10-24-2009, 04:14 PM
Every time I hear Pale Shelter, I think that Tears for Fears is singing about the android from Star Trek: The Next Generation. The actual lyrics are five thousand miles away from "Brent Spiner," but that's what I hear.

EDIT: Just listened to this song again. How the hell do you make "this failure" sound exactly like "Brent Spiner?" They've done it.

Bongo Bill
10-24-2009, 04:15 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mondegreen

Badinage
10-24-2009, 10:58 PM
In Muse's song Supermassive Black Hole, I heard:

Ooh baby I'm a superhuman
Turns out that I'm a soul for you

In actuality:

I thought I was a fool for no one
But, ooh baby, I'm a fool for you

I mishear lyrics in weird ways.

Nobuyuki
10-25-2009, 03:23 PM
I never realized they were saying "Shoot me" in Come Together (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn5LS8x5YlU) until I tried singing it last night.

Alixsar
10-25-2009, 03:45 PM
I never realized they were saying "Shoot me" in Come Together (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn5LS8x5YlU) until I tried singing it last night.

I didn't even know those were words until Beatles RB. I just thought it was some noise they made. Like "shoooo shay" or something.

Nobuyuki
10-25-2009, 04:22 PM
Yeah, I just always thought someone was saying "shoop" or something similar. I still refuse to accept that they're not saying "koo koo kachoo" in I Am the Walrus.

cortbassist89
10-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I just always thought someone was saying "shoop" or something similar. I still refuse to accept that they're not saying "koo koo kachoo" in I Am the Walrus.
...They're not!?

sircrowbar
10-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Deep Purple, "Highway Star"

Original Lyric: "She stays close on every bend!"
What I Heard: "She Takes Clothes Off Every Bed!"

Yeah, I'm not really sure how that came to be either.

Also:

Rhapsody, "Lord of Thunder"
Original Lyric: "Lord of Thunder, please be my guide..."
What I Heard: "Lord of Thunder, please be a guy..."

Karzac
10-27-2009, 11:57 AM
Oh man, this happens to me all the time. There's a Shins song called "One By One All Day" with a line that goes "under the moan of rotting elm in the silo floor" but "silo floor" always sounds like "xylophone" to me. I'm convinced this is on purpose those, because right after the line there's a xylophone playing. So yeah.

Has anybody had the opposite experience though? In "Across the Universe" by The Beatles there's a line that my brother and I are convinced everyone in the world has misheard except for us. Here it is:

What everybody, including the Internet, songbooks, and the writers of the film "Across The Universe" think the line is:

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe

What John Lennon is actually saying if you're not deaf:

They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe

Am I crazy, or is everybody else? You decide.

taidan
10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Oh man, this happens to me all the time. There's a Shins song called "One By One All Day" with a line that goes "under the moan of rotting elm in the silo floor" but "silo floor" always sounds like "xylophone" to me. I'm convinced this is on purpose those, because right after the line there's a xylophone playing. So yeah.

Has anybody had the opposite experience though? In "Across the Universe" by The Beatles there's a line that my brother and I are convinced everyone in the world has misheard except for us. Here it is:

What everybody, including the Internet, songbooks, and the writers of the film "Across The Universe" think the line is:

They slither while they pass, they slip away across the universe

What John Lennon is actually saying if you're not deaf:

They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe

No, I always heard it the way you have.

Karzac
10-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Exactly, but look in any lyric book, and it's the other way. People are just stupid, I guess.

Pooch
10-27-2009, 03:48 PM
...They're not!?

The official printed lyric in the Magical Mystery Tour LP is "GOO GOO GOO JOOB." On the lyric sheet for the 1967-70 LP, it's "Goo goo g'joob."

That's how I always hear it, too.

Another Beatles lyric I used to mishear is in "A Hard Day's Night":

"So why on earth should I moan
'Cause when I get you alone
You know I feel all right"

For some reason, when I was younger I'd hear the first line as "So why I love to come home."

boot101
10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
I had a friend back in high school who was the master of the misheard lyric. The best example:

Bananarama - Venus

Actual Lyric

I'm your Venus, I'm your fire
At your desire

His Version

I'm your penis, I'm your virus
Schwarzenegger!

Lucas
10-27-2009, 04:44 PM
I thought it was "I'm your desire," "At" makes no sense.

ArugulaZ
10-27-2009, 04:59 PM
The little phrase at the end of Michael Jackson's "Wanna Be Startin' Something" sounds like "The same old song of applesauce" to me.

Dhroo
10-27-2009, 08:10 PM
I dunno, I totally buy "they slither as they pass, they slip away across the universe". Granted that's probably not what I thought it was when I first heard it, but once I read the lyrics in a song book, I could definitely hear it that way.

Adrenaline
10-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Exactly, but look in any lyric book, and it's the other way. People are just stupid, I guess.

No, you're definitely wrong. There's an obvious P sound.

Karzac
10-28-2009, 01:27 PM
No, you're definitely wrong. There's an obvious P sound.

You're crazy. There's no "p" sound at all. Maybe we're listening to different versions? I'm listening to the version on Let it Be...Naked. Maybe it sounds like a "p" in the original.

dangerhelvetica
10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Spinal marines, I am still just a rat in a cage.

Also, check out Soramimi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soramimi), which explains what they're talking about in the intro song to Azumanga Daioh.

teg
10-28-2009, 08:29 PM
"Animal I Have Become" becomes a far more tolerable song when you realize that the lead singer is clearly saying "the duck inside of me."
Seriously.
Listen to it (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT-f6HBny44).
It's absolutely spot on and it totally changes the meaning from a fairly bland "woe is me" track into the tortured ballad of a man cursed to walk the streets as a wereduck forever.

Healy
10-29-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm sure I have some ab-so-lutely hilarious mondegreens, but I can't think of any right now, so have a choice quote from a similar thread from another forum I go to:
in another one bites the dust, the part where freddie mercury shouts something that i am pretty sure now is "bitin' the dust yeah"

but for the longest time i was sure he was saying "BRIAN'S ADOPTED"

could just see the look of shock underneath brian may's floofy hair, the heartbroken solo he would shred out, that he had to find out this way

Rice Cooka
10-29-2009, 03:13 AM
I always thought it wasn't fair of Dave Coulier to deny Alanis "the cross-eyed bear" that he gave to her.

Alastor
10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
http://www.digitaldevildb.com/images/postart/persona_3/map.jpg

I never felt like down down down downtown.
I never felt like thinkin' this would last forever.
You're just a breath mint.

Healy
10-29-2009, 05:25 PM
Oh wait, now I remember one. In I Am the Walrus, I thought the line near the end was "Man you should have seen the kid named Edgar Allan Poe," but really it's "Man you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe."

Yeah, yeah, I know.

Lucas
11-22-2009, 12:18 AM
I just realized that the line in Naked and Famous is

Those lucky bastards, they don't have to work
Big 3D billboards and big thirty-foot smirks

not "thirty-foot smurfs" like I usually think it is. There's a good chance this is the second or third time I've come to this realization.

Edit: Uh, maybe? Apparently at least two lyrics sites have it listed as the smurf version. I don't know what to think anymore!

Balrog
05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Unnecessary necro get!

In Queen's "Under Pressure" I thought for the longest time that he was saying "keeps families in school" but after listening to a live version, he's clearly saying "splits families in two".

R^2
05-07-2010, 09:51 AM
What the hell is a dunderchee, and what does it have to do with dirty deeds?

PT
05-08-2010, 09:21 PM
How about vocal songs from video games? The most notable examples to me are just about anything from Persona 3 or 4, as everyone singing in those titles are both equally mushmouths and also not remotely in any way native English speakers.

Persona 3's Burn My Dread...

Dreamless dorm, ticking clock
I walk away from the soundless room
Windless night, moonlight melts

We must dumb (?), tweaking truck
I wrote away, from some restroom
When dressed light (?), move right ???

Strangely, Lotus Juice comes off coherent and dare I say...competent compared to every other vocal track in the game.

In Persona 4, Pursuing My True Self is only about half mushmouth, but who knows what the hell anyone is saying during Reach Out For The Truth. I've read lyrics for the theme and can just now barely make out what the hell is being said.

And of course, everyone can use their imagination for what else can be possibly said instead of My Affection. Come on, have fun with that. I dare you.

PT
05-08-2010, 09:23 PM

I thought for a long time that it was "dirty deeds, thunder chief" which, to me, shockingly made sense for an AC/DC song.

Falselogic
05-08-2010, 09:35 PM

I thought is was Dirty Deeds and the Dundo King! My best friend and I in high school thought that guy was one cool assassin!

I thought the Who's "Who Are You" was "cooooool water, coo coo, coo, coo"

widdershins
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I thought for a long time that it was "dirty deeds, thunder chief" which, to me, shockingly made sense for an AC/DC song.

I heard "dunder chief", but yeah.

Oh man, this thread is awesome. criminallyinane brought up soramimi, and the show referenced in the article, soramimi hour, is definitely worth checking out -- easily one of my favorite japanese shows. If you can wade through the Japanese, there are awesome videos to go along with them.

I used to watch them with Luana and translate for her, and we'd laugh for hours. I can't seem to find any of the videos on youtube anymore, though (just a bunch of lame re-dubs). My absolute favorite was one where they misheard the Scorpion's "you give me all I need" as "yukimi onani" (masturbate watching snow). Don't look that up though -- in searching for the video, I found a more recent one where their re-enactment is, well, frightening.

cortbassist89
09-23-2013, 02:16 PM
I made a video awhile back about lyrics I always misheard. Skip to about 1m to see the lyrics I heard instead.

vOn0OpRoYAU

Most of my friends hate me for ruining Shake It Out for them; they now, too, hear only CHILI DOG CHILI DOG

Karzac
09-23-2013, 06:40 PM

Re-reading through the thread, I just wanted to note that the actual line is "Pave paradise, put up a parking lot."

Octopus Prime
09-23-2013, 07:15 PM
Every time I head Summer of '69, I think that Mr Bryan Adams was fondly reminiscing about dancing on your mommas corpse.

Which... Would be a pretty different song.

Guy
09-23-2013, 08:01 PM
Most of my friends hate me for ruining Shake It Out for them; they now, too, hear only CHILI DOG CHILI DOG

I can't hear it. I just hear Shake It Out. Did you maybe not know what the title of the song was the first time you heard it?

Anywho, here's my thing: At the beginning of the The Meek Shall Inherit from Little Shop of Horrors, when the dude is talking to Seymour, I keep hearing "Seymour Krelborn, so finally we meet you. This is an occasion! Let's toast! Up yours!"

ZZtguxa8Kpc

Teaspoon
11-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Heard Will Young's "Jealousy" song on the radio. Thought the lyrics went "It feels like Jay-Z," at first. Which would have been odd, because the song is a sort of slow ballad and not at all like rap.

Meditative_Zebra
07-14-2016, 01:56 AM
I just realized that I've always misheard U2's "Sunday Bloody Sunday (http://www.u2.com/discography/lyrics/lyric/song/127/)". The actual line is

And it's true we are immune
When fact is fiction and TV reality.

I'd always thought it was "amused" rather than "immune". Which makes sense in its own way but probably wasn't quite what Bono was actually going for.

Dadgum Roi
07-22-2016, 03:19 AM
I know this is a classic one, but I was bringing my boys back from the beach and "Blinded by the Light" came on the radio to ridiculous amount of mirth.

Falselogic
08-08-2016, 11:59 AM
Why is this in TV and film?

Rivers
08-08-2016, 12:32 PM
Ain't no woman like the one-eyed gott.

Alixsar
08-08-2016, 07:37 PM
Why is this in TV and film?

We didn't have a music forum in 2009.

ArugulaZ
08-08-2016, 07:54 PM
XOKqqwgFSbI

"Every Odor Eater leads to your door,
every breath I take, forevermore."

taosterman
08-08-2016, 08:04 PM
For a long time I thought Mele Kalikimaka was a wise way to say Merry Christmas to you, not Hawaii's way. And now you are picturing that Christmas Vacation scene.

Octopus Prime
08-09-2016, 02:46 AM
Anywho, here's my thing: At the beginning of the The Meek Shall Inherit from Little Shop of Horrors, when the dude is talking to Seymour, I keep hearing "Seymour Krelborn, so finally we meet you. This is an occasion! Let's toast! Up yours!"

Isn't it? I just assumed that that guy was really rude, since just about every character in that movie is an ass.

Falselogic
08-09-2016, 09:05 AM
We didn't have a music forum in 2009.

http://orig08.deviantart.net/e644/f/2012/220/6/7/fix_it_felix_jr__by_death_driver_5000-d5adtoy.png

(somebody else already did. CURSE you Kishi!)

ajr82
08-09-2016, 04:05 PM
"Heartache Tonight" by the Eagles has a chorus that goes:
"There's gonna be a heartache tonight, heartache tonight"

I didn't know what the song was called, so I heard it as:
"There's gonna be a party tonight, party tonight"

This wasn't when I was a kid, this was like 3 weeks ago.

Peach
08-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Whenever we're listening to the 40s station over the PA at work, this:

nuv6xC9MgiU

...sounds for all the world like, "the old masturbator."

BŁge
08-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Bake me a pie of love
Bake me a pie of love, oh
Bake me a pie of love
'Cause that pie of love I keep dreaming of (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bcSoHoJh0c)

Alex Scott
08-24-2016, 06:13 AM
This is what I thought for the longest time Steve Miller was singing:

Pick ole Jed and light up,
Don't carry me too far away.
Pick ole Jed and light up,
Cuz it's here that I've got to stay.

muteKi
08-24-2016, 02:03 PM
is this the thread for proclaiming the genius of george harrison's "back up, I might sit on you"?

muteKi
08-28-2016, 03:10 PM
ERXq3r1Kq0Q

WildcatJF
08-28-2016, 07:35 PM
They say anime you want it
That's the way you need it
Anime you want it

Torzelbaum
08-28-2016, 07:39 PM
Don't watch want anime.