PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR anyone?

Little Sampson
06-06-2007, 10:53 AM
This is one of the few PC games I will actually play. I freaking love this game.

JCDenton
06-06-2007, 12:53 PM
I need to play this, but I'd rather wait till I have access to an Xbox and play that version.

Guy
06-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Funny you should mention it, because I just reinstalled it yesterday. I really liked it when I first played it, especially since I went Dark side and was able to plow through just about anything. I got really, really bored of the second one, though.

poetfox
06-06-2007, 01:18 PM
I played the second one... so I never went back to the first, since I felt I'd be annoyed at what it was missing. I loved it to death though, even with the lack of any sort of "ending." I saw where it was going, and the villian was pretty awesome.
I wore stupid goggles the whole way through and heavy armor, even though everyone told me not to. But I did. So there.

SkywardShadow
06-06-2007, 01:23 PM
The PC version includes the extra stuff without any downloads/fees.

I believe KoTOR is the only relatively recent RPG that I've actually replayed multiple times. It allows you to essentially make the game turn-based, and now that I think about it, this sort of setup would be perfect for Fallout 3...

SkywardShadow
06-06-2007, 01:26 PM
I played the second one... so I never went back to the first, since I felt I'd be annoyed at what it was missing. I loved it to death though, even with the lack of any sort of "ending." I saw where it was going, and the villian was pretty awesome.
I wore stupid goggles the whole way through and heavy armor, even though everyone told me not to. But I did. So there.

Oh man, I enjoyed both games, but the first one is a greater experience, in my opinion.

I prefer heavy armor too. The customization and ability to play as you wish are strengths of the two games.

SlimJimm
06-06-2007, 01:28 PM
After reading the praises of people over the KOTOR games I picked them both up cheap at a Gamestop only to see that they hardly work on an Xbox 360. They are so choppy and glitched that you can hardly even call them backwards compatible.

How frustrating. -_-

Torgo
06-06-2007, 01:33 PM
I've got the PC version of both games. Both run pretty darn good too, except Dantooine on the first one totally bugs out on my system. Makes doing that segment of the game a blast, let me tell you.

I never finished the second game (got stuck, stopped, and never came back), but I have played through the first at least twice... both times doing the Light Side thing.

Both are easily amongst the finest games made. (In fact, one or both sound pretty good right now).

philliam
06-06-2007, 03:20 PM
Dark side or Light people. Guess what side I always go with?

Vahn16
06-06-2007, 05:11 PM
Like many of you, this is one of the only single player RPGs I've re-played multiple times. It's really that great.

I tend to choose light side. I'm a wimp about doing terrible things to innocent virtual people, I guess.

I actually enjoyed many aspects of KOTOR 2 more than the first. I liked how you could sway your party members to the light or dark side. I also enjoyed the story more, for the most part (that lack-of-an-ending thing sort of ruined it). Kreia was an excellent character in that she wasn't really light or dark. She always made you question your actions outside of the normal KOTOR morality. The story really fell apart at the end, though. Spoiler: The seemingly uber powerful dark jedi who fed on entire planets turned out to be weak. Kreia just tells you what happens to your party members. What ever happened with your good robot (not HK) and that evil robot given to you by that merchant? It was a mess.

I'm really hoping for a KOTOR 3, and I'm certain it'll happen eventually. Right now, though, no one can work on it. Bioware is working on Mass Effect and Dragon Age. Obsidian is working with Sega on something.

There is, however, the tantilizing rumor that ran in EGM about a KOTOR MMO. They said it was in development at Bioware Austin. Who knows if it's true, but it would certainly be better than Star Wars: Galaxies.

Torgo
06-06-2007, 05:27 PM
There is, however, the tantilizing rumor that ran in EGM about a KOTOR MMO. They said it was in development at Bioware Austin. Who knows if it's true, but it would certainly be better than Star Wars: Galaxies.
Anything that's not handled by SOE is, by default, better.

Also, a Star Wars mmo fit in the KOTOR time frame would be a lot more flexible then one developed during the period with the films.

Falselogic
01-31-2013, 10:27 PM
Started playing KOTOR 2 with the expanded content mod. I'm still at the very beginning but I needed/wanted a place to talk about it.

I know Nich is playing too.

Did I resurrect the right thread?

EDIT: I miss philliam

reibeatall
01-31-2013, 10:38 PM
Dude, the last post in this thread was over five years ago.

Just make another fucking topic.

TK Flash
01-31-2013, 10:42 PM
I got KOTOR 2 on the computer but have yet to touch it. I am ass-deep in an LP right now but if you and Nich are in I guess I might as well consider the possibility that I could also be in as well

Falselogic
02-01-2013, 07:44 AM
I got KOTOR 2 on the computer but have yet to touch it. I am ass-deep in an LP right now but if you and Nich are in I guess I might as well consider the possibility that I could also be in as well

Have you played the first one? The two are semi-related though they take place years apart. The ship is the same and you'll hear people talk about characters from the first. It's been so long since I played KOTOR1 though that I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what happened. Amnesia was involved and an evil robot (HK-47 had, by far, the best dialogue in the first one) I think he's a secret character in the second.

Dude, the last post in this thread was over five years ago.

Just make another fucking topic.

Why? This ones serves the exact same purpose as my thread would of, and it's already here! You don't even have to read a backlog, as its only eleven posts long!

Anyway, I just started. I went with basic attack model jedi, instead of defender or force user (they all have the force, I think force user just gets bonuses.) I have to say I really enjoy the parts where you play as a astromech droid. something fun about scooting along beeping and booping solving all the problems for the humans

Adrenaline
02-01-2013, 04:10 PM
You're allows to make new threads dog

I give you permission

Falselogic
02-01-2013, 04:16 PM
You're allows to make new threads dog

I give you permission

This thread is about Kotor, not about your issues with thread use.

TK Flash
02-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Have you played the first one? The two are semi-related though they take place years apart. The ship is the same and you'll hear people talk about characters from the first. It's been so long since I played KOTOR1 though that I'm having a hard time remembering exactly what happened. Amnesia was involved and an evil robot (HK-47 had, by far, the best dialogue in the first one) I think he's a secret character in the second.

Same thing here. I played KOTOR so long ago I can barely remember what it was like, except that I really liked it. I've never been much of a Star Wars dude but I got what people like about the series by watching the 90s theater remakes and by playing KOTOR.

Falselogic
02-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Same thing here. I played KOTOR so long ago I can barely remember what it was like, except that I really liked it. I've never been much of a Star Wars dude but I got what people like about the series by watching the 90s theater remakes and by playing KOTOR.

To be honest I think I've always been more attached to the games than any of the movies. I never saw any of them in theaters and while I recognize them as cornerstones of geek culture it was Dark Forces, TIE Fighter, KOTOR and the Zahn trilogy that made me like Star Wars.

Also, I'm noticing my characters cankles. huge cankles...

Troa11
02-01-2013, 05:36 PM
I just remember the original KotoR fulfilled my fantasy of wielding two lightsabers simultaneously.

I did buy KotoR II on a Steam sale recently so that someday I could replay it with the restored content pack, but story-wise I'm thinking I should replay the original first, because like the rest of you I've forgotten most of it.

Falselogic
02-01-2013, 06:00 PM
I just remember the original KotoR fulfilled my fantasy of wielding two lightsabers simultaneously.

I did buy KotoR II on a Steam sale recently so that someday I could replay it with the restored content pack, but story-wise I'm thinking I should replay the original first, because like the rest of you I've forgotten most of it.

I don't think you have to replay it. Just read the wikipedia article on the story it should catch you up. KOTOR2 does catch you up as well with the backstory. Though it doesn't tell you that you played Darth Malek in the first game

Troa11
02-01-2013, 07:49 PM
Well that's okay, that's the only part I remember...

Jeanie
02-01-2013, 08:34 PM
Then you remember poorly. You were Darth Revan. Malek was your apprentice.

Falselogic
02-01-2013, 08:54 PM

Meh, you were one of them I couldn't remember which! Same difference

TK Flash
02-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Wow I really hate the mouselook in this game. I played for about a half-hour today and got a little bit into it, but not very much. What is this expanded content mod? Is the mod compatible with the Steam version? Can I mod my current save file?

So many questions!

Falselogic
02-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Wow I really hate the mouselook in this game. I played for about a half-hour today and got a little bit into it, but not very much. What is this expanded content mod? Is the mod compatible with the Steam version? Can I mod my current save file?

So many questions!

you can mod the stream version. I don't know if it is compatible with your save. And the mood adds in all the stuff that was in the game files but want implemented due to the game bring rushed. Key me dig up link for you.

Troa11
02-02-2013, 07:07 AM

Whichever, the point was I remembered you used to be the bad guy everyone kept talking about.

So many questions!

I don't know about using your current save file, in fact, I'd be surprised if it did work like that. But I'm 99% sure it works with the Steam version of the game. There are actually two of them out there I think but only one that I know of is actively worked on yet and is (as far as I know) considered superior at this point. You can get it here (http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm).

Falselogic
02-02-2013, 09:12 AM
Made it off the mining platform and then blew it all up to escape the Sith The game's barely started and I'm well on my way to being a the biggest douche sith in the galaxy...

all according to plan

TK Flash
02-03-2013, 01:49 AM
I am like 1 hour 30 minutes so far and going Sith route. This is the first time I've ever done the evil path in a game and it's kinda weird. Also there is a little too much talky-talky at some parts but it still seems like a really great game. I installed the bug fix patch and that took my old save file no problem. The next bug I hit was No movement after battle, which was fixed by enabling Vsync. Then it crashed an hour later after a cutscene. It's still damn fun. I wish I could play with a controller, though.

Troa11
02-03-2013, 04:26 AM
Controller would be kind of nice, but if I recall it's possible to play the bulk of the game with just the mouse, so that was kind of nice if I needed to stop for lunch...but didn't want to stop.

TK Flash
02-04-2013, 06:13 AM
I did the same thing Falsie did! I'm five hours in and it finally feels like I am through the intro. I'm hooked!

Falselogic
02-04-2013, 07:34 AM
I finished with Talos and moved on to Onderon. I'm already fully over to the Dark Side. It can get tiresome being a dick all the time. I don't know where it says evil translates into petty but there you go!

Just got my first lightsaber as well, it's about time. Oh, and HK-47 is restored, so he'll be going into my party permanently.

I plan on killing everyone on the Jedi Council. I think that is what I'm supposed to do, right?

I don't know what stopped me playing the game the first time but I'm in it now and will play this til it is complete and my character rules the galaxy

Derra
02-04-2013, 07:46 AM
I finished with Talos and moved on to Onderon. I'm already fully over to the Dark Side. It can get tiresome being a dick all the time. I don't know where it says evil translates into petty but there you go!

This is one of the themes of the game (and it's equally true of the goodie-two-shoes Light Side run as well).

sheridanmovieguy
02-04-2013, 10:20 AM
The only problem with a Dark Side run is that you don't get Mira. I feel like you miss out, there.

Falselogic
02-06-2013, 01:27 PM
Okay, I'm "done" with Onderon (as in I had to leave the planet but I think I get to come back at some point) and have moved onto Dantoonie.

I'm kind of annoyed that I've encountered two of the members of the Jedi Council but the game has prevented me from killing them with extreme prejudice! I don't want to do it later. I want to kill them now!

HK-47 manages to be the best character in this game as well as the first. His dialogue is great, especially his impressions of the two main sidekicks in the first game. The only thing that bugs me is that he's completely useless when you encounter rip-off HKs...

Oh I also got my prestige class went with Sith Lord, instead of assassin or maruader Can you get multiple prestige classes?

Egarwaen
02-06-2013, 01:37 PM
I'm kind of annoyed that I've encountered two of the members of the Jedi Council but the game has prevented me from killing them with extreme prejudice! I don't want to do it later. I want to kill them now!

Yes, that's because the game has to drive home how much of a moron your character is before railroading you past any possible interesting choices.

TK Flash
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Argghh I got to play this game for like 20 minutes yesterday and just got arrested on Telos. MUST MAKE PROGRESS

Falselogic
02-08-2013, 02:40 PM
I've been to every planet now except Korriban. I'm not sure what content is part of the Sith Lord MOD and what isn't though I expect it's some of the stuff on Nar Shaddaa because it just doesn't seem as implemented or together there. Lots of areas but barely anything to do in them... Despite that there was something interesting quests and character flipping on that planet.

I've killed 3 or 4 jedi masters at this point. I only have two left I think the one on Telos and of course the one on Korriban. Also, am I incorrect in thinking that Korriban is the homeworld of the Sith? I'm not up on my EU stuff...

PS - I'm kind of bummed (extremely bummed) that my wookiee does not actually rips humanoids arms off when he gets mad...)

TK Flash
02-08-2013, 05:49 PM
After a herculean amount of effort over the past few three days, I have managed to make my hour counter flip from 5 to 6. Soon, I will be able to retrieve the Ebon Hawk, or at least get started on the quest that will open the other quest that will let me get started on that.

sheridanmovieguy
02-08-2013, 08:05 PM
Korriban isn't exactly the homeworld of the Sith per se, but it's like...super important to them. A lot of the ancient Sith were from there and are buried there.

Sapper Gopher
02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Also, am I incorrect in thinking that Korriban is the homeworld of the Sith? I'm not up on my EU stuff...

Don't worry, it's all fan fiction now.

Falselogic
02-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Just under 26 hours and I had to re-do the last planet Malachor over because of a bad save or something. Not a bad game, playing around in the Star Wars universe is always enjoyable especially as a super powerful magic user (I thought Force Storm was great, Force Crush is amazing! You can only use it on a single enemy at a time though...)

I still don't know what the hell was going on with the story. Something about killing the Force or the Force was going to kill the galaxy and maybe something about balance (???) I do know that I killed all the things. Also, I have no idea what happens to anyone after killing Kreia. I think I could have asked but didn't.

Anyway, after a decade of it sitting on my shelf, the game is done and I can move on to the next RPG!

sheridanmovieguy
02-10-2013, 05:10 PM
You get a bit more story with the Jedi masters alive.

Granted the ending still doesn't make much sense.

Falselogic
02-10-2013, 05:52 PM
You get a bit more story with the Jedi masters alive.

I fail to see any fun in that!

TK Flash
02-10-2013, 06:17 PM
ARrrgghh After sitting down to this all day yesterday I am 11 hours in and finally onto my second planet (Dantooine). No lightsaber yet.

Falselogic
02-10-2013, 06:22 PM
ARrrgghh After sitting down to this all day yesterday I am 11 hours in and finally onto my second planet (Dantooine). No lightsaber yet.

I think I got mine on Dantoonie or shortly thereafter. You'll know you're close when Bua-Duor talks to you about it. Also, the cave in Dantoonie is full of crystals for them.

TK Flash
02-17-2013, 07:01 AM
Hey hobos
i am still playing this,

I killed one jedi and left one alive. I am level 20 at hour 20, when am I done?

Falselogic
02-17-2013, 07:53 AM
Hey hobos
i am still playing this,

I killed one jedi and left one alive. I am level 20 at hour 20, when am I done?

I beat the game in twenty six hours

TK Flash
03-04-2013, 06:29 AM
I am so close to finishing this game! I am at 23 hours and just met Jedi 4 out of 4. I think all that is left is to rush through the endgame because I don't give a crap about treasures anymore and lightning kills everything.

Are all the bosses going to be friggin duels in this game, or what? I had to beat the last two duels by running around like a friggin jerk and shooting lightning around corners. It wasn't very fun. It also took a lot of savescumming, which made it even worse.

Falselogic
03-04-2013, 09:53 AM
I am so close to finishing this game! I am at 23 hours and just met Jedi 4 out of 4. I think all that is left is to rush through the endgame because I don't give a crap about treasures anymore and lightning kills everything.

Are all the bosses going to be friggin duels in this game, or what? I had to beat the last two duels by running around like a friggin jerk and shooting lightning around corners. It wasn't very fun. It also took a lot of savescumming, which made it even worse.

Yes, yes they are. Some of them will require to play as a non-jedi character. I recommend using mines when that happens.

The last fight will have you fighting a jedi and multiple floating light sabers at the same time. I recommend running away from the jedi. She won't follow but the sabers will. try to get them alone or run as far away as possible then turn around and run back to the jedi and hope the sabers dont follow you or get caught on terrain.

TK Flash
03-05-2013, 06:48 AM
What an absolute piece of shit KOTOR 2 was. I clicked the mouse and I think I skipped the ending.

I think it said "You're so rad, dude! You saved the universe!"

I looked at Wikipedia and found these gems:

Based on 30 professional reviews, Metacritic gave the game an average rating of 85 out of 100

In 2010, the game was included as one of the titles in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die.

Go fuck yourself, Metacritic and stupid book.

Jeanie
03-05-2013, 07:20 AM
If it makes you feel better, the entire final planet and ending was rushed to get it out in time for Christmas. It's still a shitty ending, but there's a reason why it's shitty.

Derra
03-05-2013, 07:45 AM
According to Obsidian, they had a bunch of stuff they wanted to change / add and got verbal permission from Lucasarts for a later release date.

Then the holiday season came and Lucasarts was like SHIP NAO and everyone was sad. Except Lucasarts because they got all the moneys.

Falselogic
03-05-2013, 07:50 AM
but in the end you still got to electrocute all the people in the galaxy far, far away and so everything was all right!

Meditative_Zebra
03-05-2013, 08:23 AM
It's been a long time since I played either of the KOTOR game but I remember feeling like KOTOR 2 had enormous potential and quite possibly could have been a superior game than the original. But then the game got rushed out the doors before it was finished and we got stuck with a mess of a game.

One of these days I need to try out the mods that are supposed to restore all the cut content (http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/03/the-fixer-how-to-restore-knights-of-the-old-republic-ii/) and see if it restores the game to its full potential.

Troa11
03-05-2013, 08:28 AM
That's a good question though, do any of the restored content patches do anything about the ending? Cause as much as I enjoyed the game the first time, the ending was very much a "huh? That's it?" moment. I do plan to replay this someday with the patch either way.

Falselogic
03-05-2013, 09:07 AM
That's a good question though, do any of the restored content patches do anything about the ending? Cause as much as I enjoyed the game the first time, the ending was very much a "huh? That's it?" moment. I do plan to replay this someday with the patch either way.

I had the patch applied, the ToS one (I think?), and the story still seemed fucked up to me. But, I never played the non-patched version and some of the stuff the readme said the patch restored I never saw...

sheridanmovieguy
03-05-2013, 09:44 AM
Malachor V still kind of sucks, even with the restored content mod. It's a little better, but not much. It's a shame Team Gizka disbanded, because their mod was going to be MUCH more thorough. Apparently the project lead was kind of ego maniacal, though, and even though the mod was basically done there was one part he wouldn't let anyone else touch, and then he just kept not doing it and not doing until eventually everyone just kind of fell apart.

Karzac
03-05-2013, 01:55 PM
The idea of a mod meant to complete an incomplete game being incomplete itself is hilarious.

LancerECNM
04-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Toynbee Idea
Movie 2001
Resurrect Dead Thread
On Planet Jupiter

So, because I don't have both MonHun 3U and Weegee's House 2 on my plate right now (I totally do), I'm trying to play KoTOR again. I've powered through Taris, which I've always felt is kind of boring and unfun. I tried the whole not leveling on Taris thing and that actually made it a bit better, surprisingly. I also didn't stop to do every little sidequest, which helped a lot.

I'm playing as a Jedi Sentinel. Is using Bastila as well too much yellow Sentinel? This will be my first time playing past Dantooine, so I don't know if there is a better buddy-Jeddy for me to use or not.

fanboymaster
04-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Jedi tend to be the most useful characters but with the PC included there's only 4 of them and the best of them personality-wise isn't until Kashyyk. You probably want at least one other Jedi around just for healing though.

LancerECNM
04-05-2013, 11:54 PM
Jedi tend to be the most useful characters but with the PC included there's only 4 of them and the best of them personality-wise isn't until Kashyyk. You probably want at least one other Jedi around just for healing though.

Yeah, healing was the main reason I wanted to keep another Jedi around. If it weren't for that, I'd have Carth and... someone else who doesn't have a lightsaber as my party. I just noticed that Bastila has like a billion dex. Would it be a terrible/wasteful idea to train a Jedi to use a blaster?

sheridanmovieguy
04-05-2013, 11:55 PM
I'm playing as a Jedi Sentinel. Is using Bastila as well too much yellow Sentinel? This will be my first time playing past Dantooine, so I don't know if there is a better buddy-Jeddy for me to use or not.

Go to Kashyyyk first. Get Jolee Bindo. There, you have the most awesome Jedi friend in the game. Then go to Tatooine and get HK, because he's also great.

fanboymaster
04-05-2013, 11:56 PM
It's been a while, but I'm pretty certain that that'd be a yes. Lightsabers as I recall are pretty indisputably the best weapons in the game.

sheridanmovieguy
04-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Yeah, healing was the main reason I wanted to keep another Jedi around. If it weren't for that, I'd have Carth and... someone else who doesn't have a lightsaber as my party. I just noticed that Bastila has like a billion dex. Would it be a terrible/wasteful idea to train a Jedi to use a blaster?

As far as I know, due to passive bonuses and things, lightsabers are always the better choice for Jedi (plus...you know...they look cool) in KOTOR.

The only exception I can think of is Mira in KOTOR 2. Hardcore players will tell you to not change her to a Jedi until she's auto-learned all her blaster feats and then to make her into a blaster Jedi.

I usually didn't, though, because I'm a traditionalist...and I like my Jedi with laser swords, thank you very much.

LancerECNM
04-06-2013, 12:31 AM
I only really ask about making a blaster Jedi* because Carth rocks dual-blasters rapid-shot so hard. I don't think I could have completed Taris without him unless I leveled up.

*Also because Bastila has the same color lightsaber as me, wah wah wah.

sheridanmovieguy
04-06-2013, 01:15 AM
I only really ask about making a blaster Jedi* because Carth rocks dual-blasters rapid-shot so hard. I don't think I could have completed Taris without him unless I leveled up.

*Also because Bastila has the same color lightsaber as me, wah wah wah.

You can get new crystals! And switch everyone's color around.