PDA

View Full Version : The Worst Foods You Can't Stop Eating

Brickroad
01-06-2010, 11:27 PM
This thread is here to discuss bad eating habits that you will never give up because DELICIOUS > HEALTHY.

I'll kick things off thusly: our breakroom has a vending machine that sells Lunchables for $2. Do you have any idea how many Lunchables I have eaten this month? Because I'm kind of embarrassed to say.

Also Lunchables should give you twice as many crackers as meat/cheese so you could make real cracker sandwiches rather than open-face ones.

Traumadore
01-06-2010, 11:33 PM
Just double up the filling! Anyway, enjoy your salt and preservatives I guess. On the other hand, I get instant noodles out of the vending machine where I work which is probably just as bad, but less than half as expensive, so I got that going for me.

Anyway, these little marinated mozzarella balls in olive oil with all these herbs and definitely a fair amount of salt. They're so good though, I have to eat a couple every day!

Rosencrantz
01-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Pretty much all of my favorite foods are the worst foods I can't stop eating. Especially french fries.

Since my wife and I live on a tight budget, we often cook chicken or pork and put it in cheap instant noodles. We at least make sure to not use the entire package of flavoring, though, to cut back on some of the sodium.

Also, I could probably have pizza every day, especially if I could eat pizzas from different restaurants and even different varieties of frozen pizzas. Each has its own unique taste, and to me, they're all fantastic.

Wolfgang
01-07-2010, 12:22 AM
For a while it was these ham/turkey flatbread sandwiches they sell at 7-Eleven. More recently it's been these roasted peas I get at the candy/nut store on my block. Not too bad, but when you've eaten a pound of them over the course of two days, it can't be that great for you. I don't get them as often now. If I have them in the house, there's this specific kind of gummy candy - butterflies - that I will scarf down a pound of over 24 hours as well.

SEanEF
01-07-2010, 01:13 AM
I manage to regulate my french fry intake by mostly stealing a few from my family and friends whenever they get them. They never finish them and I get my fix without getting a full serving of fat/salt. It's win/win!

My biggest weakness is a weird combo of texture and sugar, I think. Basically, if you make something chewy and have it be sugar or sugar convertible based, and I love the heck out of it. Noodles from Asia to Italy, you make'em al'dente (like, really al'dente), put them in a decent sauce or broth and I will scarf as much as I can. Chewy, doughy, breads and cookies... oh man. On the candy side, swedish fish, caramel based chocolates, and Dots... It's kind of amazing I still have all my teeth, now that I think about it.

Oh, and what Rosencrantz said about pizza. Total agreement.

VorpalEdge
01-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Since my wife and I live on a tight budget, we often cook chicken or pork and put it in cheap instant noodles. We at least make sure to not use the entire package of flavoring, though, to cut back on some of the sodium.

What I do when I cook ramen or something similar is to drain it after finishing and add tomato sauce, to make a sort of ghetto spaghetti (and ramen noodles work really well for some reason, almost better than real spaghetti). I just toss the packaged flavor things in the trash.

FSS
01-07-2010, 01:53 AM
At jewel they have these boxes of white cheddar maccaroni, which every so often goes on sale for a dollar. And subsequently, that's when I buy 20 boxes. Each box prepares in 15 minutes and serves two people, or one really hungry person and a dog.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bzzagent-bzzscapes-prod/deluxe-white-cheddar-macaroni-and-cheese-lrg.png

Suffice to say, I think this stuff is a-maz-ing

Edit: Oh and yes, I think swedish fish are the shit as well Sean.

Makkara
01-07-2010, 02:53 AM
Canned tuna. Sure, that's mostly healthy, but they're supposed to have pretty high levels of mercury. I try to limit myself to one can per week, but it's hard.

Grignr
01-07-2010, 03:43 AM
Canned tuna. Sure, that's mostly healthy, but they're supposed to have pretty high levels of mercury. I try to limit myself to one can per week, but it's hard.

Chunk light has 1/3 the mercury of albacore. So eat that and you can feel 1/3 less toxic.

MCBanjoMike
01-07-2010, 04:49 AM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/bzzagent-bzzscapes-prod/deluxe-white-cheddar-macaroni-and-cheese-lrg.png

This.

mopinks
01-07-2010, 05:06 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/2378186934_2574aefd6e_o.jpg
I can't go to Denny's after 10 PM and not order this thing.

it's revolting in the most fantastic way.

Gwrrrk
01-07-2010, 05:09 AM

Man, I could eat a box of this stuff all to myself. And usually do.

ASandoval
01-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Burger King Steakhouse. Luckily I don't eat bacon, or this would be upgraded to something even more dangerous.

Reinforcements
01-07-2010, 05:27 AM
I'm a sucker for crackers, especially sundried tomato Wheat Thins and Chicken in a Biskit. They're... they're the best.

DANoWAR
01-07-2010, 06:09 AM
This thread is here to discuss bad eating habits that you will never give up because DELICIOUS > HEALTHY.

I'll kick things off thusly: our breakroom has a vending machine that sells Lunchables for $2. Do you have any idea how many Lunchables I have eaten this month? Because I'm kind of embarrassed to say.

Also Lunchables should give you twice as many crackers as meat/cheese so you could make real cracker sandwiches rather than open-face ones.

I'll kick things off thusly: our breakroom has a vending machine that sells Lunchables for $2.

Remembering that you had problems finding a job a few months back, here's congratulations to you for managing to be working in this economy!which explains your prolonged abscence a few weeks back

Balrog
01-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Pretty much everything I eat is unhealthy. The thing I've got a really bad weakness for is fried mozzarella sticks. If a place sells fried mozzarella, I'm on that like a duck on a junebug.

Karzac
01-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Pillsbury Mini Pizzas are my biggest vice. I eat some by the boxful. They're so terrible but sooo delicious.

Dampe
01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I eat pretty healthy overall but pizza is my one weakness. We go out to pizza every Saturday and have done so for years. The dudes at the pizza parlor know us by name and what we are going to order.

Alex Scott
01-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Totino's Party Pizzas, and fried chicken in almost any form. The former works for when I can't go out for dinner or can't get any sliced turkey or shredded lettuce for a day or so, and I'm told the latter depends more on what they use to fry it. I am trying to eat better; I've been finicky about food my whole life, especially when it involves mixed vegetables. I try, though, to keep that in check when I eat someone else's recipe; I just remember that it's my interpretation of the food that's the problem, not the food itself.

If I can chew the vegetables in spaghetti sauce without gagging, I'll know I've won.

Falselogic
01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
BarbeQue Pop Chips they're supposed to be healthy, but eating a giant back can't be at all...

Mochi ice cream balls... These things are so good and I stuff them in my mouth at a prodigious rate...

Like Rosencrantz I could eat pizza all day... Also salad bars. This sounds healthy but they always have chicken strips and then everything gets smothered in ranch dressing...

John
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
QuikTrip gas stations sell these beef taquitos that are unbelievably addicting. They went away for a while, and when I would ask about it the clerks would say that everyone's been saying the same thing, and they've relayed the message up the ladder. Now they're back! I'm going to grab one this afternoon, along with a blueberry Icee.

Wolfgang
01-07-2010, 10:05 AM

YOU MADMAN seriously gtfo, that is the worst food you eat? It doesn't surprise me, though. You don't exactly strike me as hedonistic.

BEAT
01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
Gummi Bears.

Gummis in general. And that includes fruit snacks. They're like a delicious delicious vice.

Parish
01-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Screw the Simpsons' writers, I love Arby's. Thank god all the local ones shut down or I'd be a wobbly, corpulent mess.

Calorie Mate
01-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Screw the Simpsons' writers, I love Arby's. Thank god all the local ones shut down or I'd be a wobbly, corpulent mess.

One of my best friends used to take me out to dinner with his mom occasionally in middle school, and he always chose Arby's, which I was perfectly fine with. Then one day in early highschool, some people were raggin' on Arby's and he was in the middle of it. I was confused and felt betrayed.

I...I think that's the moment I grew up.

Mokrap of Croton
01-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I can dig Arby's.

As far as stupid shitty food that I can't stop eating, I'd have to go with Taco Bell. Much like smoking, it began as something I'd do if I'd been out drinking.

Then I started doing it when the sun was up.

I've quit smoking. But goddamn if I'm giving up on the catfood burrito.

Calorie Mate
01-07-2010, 10:45 AM
Taco Bell is a fine institution and I don't see a problem with it one bit.

ajr82
01-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Oh hey, someone brought a big jar of Jelly Bellys (or a reasonable fascimile thereof) into the office today! I was hoping I wouldn't be eating any other food this week!

Tomm Guycot
01-07-2010, 10:55 AM
That's it, Parish Calories and I are going to Arby's.

Anyway, my guilty pleasure is the McRugged. McRib with McNuggets on it. I feel like I post this in every thread.

McDohl
01-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Jolly Ranchers.

High Fructose Corn Syrup-y goodness. Also rots teeth and causes diabetes at an exponential rate.

ThricebornPhoenix
01-07-2010, 11:39 AM
I gave up fast food and soda after reading a certain book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Food_Nation), but every so often I get suckered into eating at Arby's.

And I love every shame-filled minute of it.

benjibot
01-07-2010, 11:49 AM

I have a mind-blowing revelation for y'all.

At least it blew my mind.

You know why it's called Arby's? Because it's the phonetic for R B.

As in "roast beef."

FSS
01-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Jolly Ranchers.

High Fructose Corn Syrup-y goodness. Also rots teeth and causes diabetes at an exponential rate.

Heh, I once bought one of those 5 lb bags of jolly ranchers. The next visit to the dentist confirmed "a few minor cavities" with "minor" being an understatement.

The blue raspberry flavor convinced me this is the first thing scientists should genetically engineer.

Pajaro Pete
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Fried Okra, and I guess Diet Dr. Pepper.

Calorie Mate
01-07-2010, 11:53 AM

As in "roast beef."

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Parish
01-07-2010, 12:19 PM

As in "roast beef."
Yeah, I know. Personally, I've always preferred the old backronym they used to put on their signs: "America's Roast Beef Yes Sir!" It always warms my heart when I see a franchisee who hasn't abandoned the old 10-gallon-hat style sign.

Also, wow, the OS X spell-check dictionary includes "backronym." Rad.

chud_666
01-07-2010, 12:22 PM

This is your 'bad food'?

I like veggies but okra is like alien spores

Sprite
01-07-2010, 12:24 PM
Anyway, my guilty pleasure is the McRugged. McRib with McNuggets on it. I feel like I post this in every thread.

I still haven't tried this, which is probably for the best. The McRib is proof that God exists, and wants me to be happy, but the fact that it's seasonal is proof that God exists, and wants me to be healthy.

McDohl
01-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Heh, I once bought one of those 5 lb bags of jolly ranchers. The next visit to the dentist confirmed "a few minor cavities" with "minor" being an understatement.

The blue raspberry flavor convinced me this is the first thing scientists should genetically engineer.

I've been able to more or less resist purchasing of Jolly Ranchers because I don't like all of the flavors, and I feel it's wasteful to buy a bag with flavors I don't eat.

But holy shit if I find a bag of their passion mix. Soooo gooooood, and I'll have every flavor.

Gwrrrk
01-07-2010, 12:54 PM
guys guys guys guys guys

Poutine (french fries with fresh cheese curds and gravy on top) almost always make me feel queasy after eating some. However it's always my go-to junk food when eating at a fast food place.

Falselogic
01-07-2010, 01:09 PM
guys guys guys guys guys

Poutine (french fries with fresh cheese curds and gravy on top) almost always make me feel queasy after eating some. However it's always my go-to junk food when eating at a fast food place.

But only people in Canada know what this is and can order it... The rest of us are safe!

FSS
01-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I've been able to more or less resist purchasing of Jolly Ranchers because I don't like all of the flavors, and I feel it's wasteful to buy a bag with flavors I don't eat.

But holy shit if I find a bag of their passion mix. Soooo gooooood, and I'll have every flavor.

Oh yeah, when the bag was 90% gone there were only yellow ones at the bottom. Although nothing makes you more alert than the "tart lemon" flavor.

And damn man. A lot of these foods I havn't tried yet and really want to, but I fear I'd be dead within a week.

Calorie Mate
01-07-2010, 01:17 PM
I would say another of my eating vices are hush puppies. Seriously, have you tried those things? If they were readily available more places, I'd probably weigh 500 pounds.

Dampe
01-07-2010, 01:39 PM
I went to Arby's with my buddies today because it was brought it up in this thread.

YOU GUYS LIED!

The cherry turnover was good though.

DemoWeasel
01-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Churros are so good but I eat like one a year or something.

Gwrrrk
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
But only people in Canada know what this is and can order it... The rest of us are safe!

It's pretty easy to make, too! :D

Parish
01-07-2010, 01:55 PM
I went to Arby's with my buddies today because it was brought it up in this thread.

YOU GUYS LIED!

The cherry turnover was good though.

Fool! You probably ordered something with that vile cheese sauce. The correct answer is just to get a plain roast beef sammich, maybe a Big Montana if you're hungry, and embellish it with a bit of Arby's Sauce and a dab of Horsey Sauce. Come on, the fact that Arby's even offers something called "Horsey Sauce" confirms it's amazing.

Dadgum Roi
01-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I would say another of my eating vices are hush puppies. Seriously, have you tried those things? If they were readily available more places, I'd probably weigh 500 pounds.

I love hush puppies, either sweet or savory.

taidan
01-07-2010, 02:01 PM
I'll drink a beer when I get home even though I know it will make me fall asleep most of the time. I also eat frozen pizza once a week, which I know is doing terrible things to my insides.

Wolfgang
01-07-2010, 02:10 PM
This is your 'bad food'?

I like veggies but okra is like alien spores

At least it isn't Quorn, which actually is alien spores.

Phat
01-07-2010, 02:14 PM
http://donteatnuts.com/peanutfreestore/images/GB_ChocChip.gif

Not so bad, but that doesn't mean I can't stop eating them. I calculated today: I ate a hundred this week! Truly, the food of the gods.

Issun
01-07-2010, 02:27 PM

There's one five blocks from where I live and you can get quite a bit of food for your money, so it's hard not to frequent it all the time. I've managed to cut back on it recently but, unfortunately, the store I now work at has a Panda Express, and we get a discount. Something out there wants me dead.

Brickroad
01-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Taco Bell causes my body to respond thusly:

(while eating): "This taco is delicious, and I'm glad to be eating it."

(a few hours later): "ffffffffffffffffffff"

Did I use the string-o-fs right? It's my first time using them!

Phat
01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
This is bullshit, the ground beef Taco Bell uses tastes like dog food with sand in it.

The hot sauce they give out isn't hot nor does it taste good.

I will KILL Taco Bell!

DemoWeasel
01-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Fast-food "Mexican" joints are so bad.

I was impressed by Del Taco's Inferno hot sauce, though.

Dizzy
01-07-2010, 03:03 PM
I side with Calorie Man here, but only because the Taco Bells in my area are not waste dumps.

Parish
01-07-2010, 03:22 PM
I hated Taco Bell even back when I didn't have a problem eating fast food on a regular basis. So disgusting.

Wolfgang
01-07-2010, 03:40 PM
I hated Taco Bell even back when I didn't have a problem eating fast food on a regular basis. So disgusting.

This. There's the problem Phat so eloquently elaborated on, combined with the fact that the tortillas taste like Play-Doh, as I've said before. Plus their cheese is pretty much Velveeta, so the only thing that actually tastes like any kind of decent is the sour cream. But then, that's sour cream on top of dog food wrapped in Play-Doh and Velveeta, so.

Brickroad
01-07-2010, 03:47 PM

My ass agrees with you. It just never speaks up in time to save itself.

Zef
01-07-2010, 03:53 PM
I'll say this about Taco Bell:

I've only eaten there once, while in the US (of course.) It was astonishingly mediocre and in no way even tried to resemble Mexican food. A friend pretty much blackmailed me to share my take-out with him. I came back home, was a little upset for a day or two, vowed never to return.

My friend, he of the cast-iron stomach and bottomless cravings for crap tacos (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=424170&postcount=56), was bedridden for three days and destroyed his plumbing (I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to define which plumbing I'm referring to.)

A Taco Bell meal that can demolish a grease-lovin' Mexican stomach is a force that should not be reckoned with. It will not negotiate. It cannot be reasoned with. It absolutely will not stop until your bowels are left in shambles.

On the other hand, "Japanese-style" peanuts (http://www.mymexicanpantry.com/cacahuates-japoneses-sabritas.html) are my ultimate weakness, and I can gorge on a whole bag in a single sitting. :(

DemoWeasel
01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
crap tacos (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=424170&postcount=56)

There are some things that should just be banned from existence.

mopinks
01-07-2010, 03:59 PM
On the other hand, "Japanese-style" peanuts (http://www.mymexicanpantry.com/cacahuates-japoneses-sabritas.html) are my ultimate weakness, and I can gorge on a whole bag in a single sitting. :(

oh my god yes, they are dastardly.

any population of japanese peanuts in my path will be instantly decimated.

Calorie Mate
01-07-2010, 04:00 PM
I side with Calorie Man here, but only because the Taco Bells in my area are not waste dumps.

Yeah, Taco Bell has the biggest variable quality of all the fast food chains, I think. Most of the ones in SF and Berkeley seem pretty bad, but the ones in Sonoma Country were all much better. Who knows.

Fast-food "Mexican" joints are so bad.

I was impressed by Del Taco's Inferno hot sauce, though.

Your first problem is thinking of Taco Bell as Mexican food. It isn't. At all.

Now, Mexican food is leagues better than Taco Bell, and in fact there are few things better than a great black beaned burrito in this world, but that doesn't mean I don't also like T. Bizzle.

DemoWeasel
01-07-2010, 04:02 PM
Your first problem is thinking of Taco Bell as Mexican food. It isn't. At all.

That's why I put "Mexican" in quotation marks! I know what real Mexican food is!

I want some mole poblano chicken like right now.

Zef
01-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I want some mole poblano chicken like right now.

This is the food of the gods and, if given half a chance, I'd cover the whole world in it.

And eat it.

Dadgum Roi
01-07-2010, 04:36 PM
This is the food of the gods and, if given half a chance, I'd cover the whole world in it.

And eat it.

I think you're an Aztec god, Zef. Nogay.

Balrog
01-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Fool! You probably ordered something with that vile cheese sauce. The correct answer is just to get a plain roast beef sammich, maybe a Big Montana if you're hungry, and embellish it with a bit of Arby's Sauce and a dab of Horsey Sauce. Come on, the fact that Arby's even offers something called "Horsey Sauce" confirms it's amazing.

I worked at Arby's while I was in high school and I've got to say that the "cheese" sauce they put on sandwiches is the nastiest thing on the planet. Coincidentally, the people who wanted it on their sandwich were pretty nasty as well. Just sayin'. I can spot a Beef 'n Cheddar fan a mile away.

Alixsar
01-07-2010, 05:16 PM

YOU GUYS LIED!

BULLSHIT. You don't know what good is. Arby's is amazing. The market fresh sandwiches they have are delicious. And their curly fries are the best fast food curly fries (although it's kind of hard to mess up curly fries). They used to have a really good milk shake there that was coffee flavored, although I haven't had one in roughly ten years so I don't know if that will hold up/if they even have it anymore.

*crap tacos*

I almost threw up when I read the description. Just the mental image is...it's just so...ugh! No way. NO WAY.

Anyway, I don't really eat too many snacks or candy or anything anymore, but I do eat out a lot. A lot more than I probably should. I have a weakness for fast food, but I try to limit myself. There's an awesome taqueria near my work that has great stuff for cheap, but it's a bit greasy. Less greasy than the rest in town, but greasy all the same. But I go once every week or two. A lot of times my friends will want to make drunken runs to Jack in the Box to get greasy crap, and I'll end up giving in. But I usually hate myself afterwards. Those two tacos aren't even worth the dollar I paid for them!* I'm sure I'll think of something gross that I like later, though...

* I initially wrote this as "Those two dollars aren't even worth the dollar I paid for them!" and laughed for a good minute or two.

Dampe
01-07-2010, 05:20 PM
Nah I got a French Dip minus the swiss cheese, thing was still nasty. Maybe it was because they were out of Horsey Sauce at the one I went to.

Edit for Alixar: Yeah the curly fries were fine. The roast beef sucked. Seems like a place that is known for roast beef would have good roast beef, but no.

Tomm Guycot
01-07-2010, 05:41 PM
Funfact: My sister worked at Taco Bell when I was a kid, and her store invented the Mexican Pizza.

Alixsar
01-07-2010, 05:43 PM
How...how does an Arby's run out of horsey sauce? That isn't allowed to happen.

Brickroad
01-07-2010, 05:49 PM
I've been to a Subway that was out of bread and a KFC that was out of chicken, so yeah. Yeah, apparently it is allowed to happen.

Dadgum Roi
01-07-2010, 05:50 PM
crap tacos (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showpost.php?p=424170&postcount=56)

"they're either glorious or the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten."

Did you mean that you imagine that they are one of the two, but are afraid to try them yourself, or that they are alternately horrible/divine due to their dubious provenance?

Dizzy
01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

I think if you get the ones canned in water they're healthier.

It's such a bland meal though.

Pombar
01-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Peperami. I think each one contains more than the RDA of salt, but I can't stop eating like 2-3 a day. I think one of these days the blood is just going to explode out of my veins due to the immense pressure.

Balrog
01-07-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, sometimes if you eat lunch at Arby's you'll end up eating the heel of the roast beef from the night before. I always said they should just cut that piece off because it's nasty but no one listened.

Also, Horsey Sauce is totally gross.

Silent Noise
01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
There is this chain in Texas called Whataburger. at least none of it's processed but still. Altough it's not bad for me I would probably eat at Jason's Deli 5 times a week if I could.

DemoWeasel
01-07-2010, 06:05 PM
And here I thought Whataburger was a fake franchise created for King of the Hill.

Silent Noise
01-07-2010, 06:11 PM
And here I thought Whataburger was a fake franchise created for King of the Hill.

It's waaay better then things like Mcdonalds. Heck I can't even eat at Mcdonalds and I haven't in six years. (I really don't think buying dasani water bottles at one counts.)

Edit: Plus they have larger sizes, for example the "small" drink is equal in size to a large drink at wendys, and they use the same cups for the shakes.

Calorie Mate
01-07-2010, 06:55 PM
You guys not in California have had In 'n' Out, right?

Right?

estragon
01-07-2010, 06:56 PM
Edit: Plus they have larger sizes, for example the "small" drink is equal in size to a large drink at wendys, and they use the same cups for the shakes.

Thank god! If there's one thing American-style fast food needs, it's larger portions.

Silent Noise
01-07-2010, 06:59 PM

Right?

Wrong.

Thank god! If there's one thing American-style fast food needs, it's larger portions.

Only they use all nataral ingredients so it's nowhere near as bad for you as say Burger King or Mcdonalds.

Lumber Baron
01-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Those in Nevada, Arizona, and Utah do.

ASandoval
01-07-2010, 07:13 PM

Right?

Silent Noise beat me to it. Me and the girlfriend tried to go to an In n' Out during last year's GDC, but the mapquest directions to the closest one led us to... some sort of gated community that most certainly did not have an In n' Out. We plan to try again this year, so you Bay area people might need to help us out in this department.

Speaking of, do ou guys have Five Guys burgers? that's another one on top of the Burger King steakhouse... I remember going there and ordering a "cheeseburger" and instead of a "little cheeseburger", and getting what was essentially a DOUBLE cheeseburger, packed to the brim with the toppings of my choosing, literally soaked liked a sponge of the condiments I had ordered and they even simulated bag fries by taking a small metal bin of fries and dumping it into the bag ontop of the already full cup of fries.

Needless to say, it was the best discovery of my life.

Silent Noise
01-07-2010, 07:16 PM
I've never even heard of five guys. Also I've never even tried In and Out.

ASandoval
01-07-2010, 07:25 PM
I've never even heard of five guys..

When I originally tried it, it was only one in this area and newly opened. That was about a year ago. Now there's at least five of them.

Reinforcements
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Five Guys is really good, though the first time I ate there I remember walking around afterwards thinking, "This is it. Any minute now, heart attack." I don't eat there often, but it is a significant step up from McDonalds et al.

FSS
01-07-2010, 08:29 PM
When I originally tried it, it was only one in this area and newly opened. That was about a year ago. Now there's at least five of them.

But there already WERE five of them!

ajr82
01-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Arby's roast beef is pretty gross, but they have some good chicken sandwiches. Mmm, Chicken Cordon Bleu sandwich.

Silent Noise
01-07-2010, 09:57 PM

The things they put into "diet" soda actually make it worse for you then normal soda, after all what is "diet" but die with a t.

Zef
01-07-2010, 10:02 PM
"they're either glorious or the most disgusting thing you've ever eaten."

Did you mean that you imagine that they are one of the two, but are afraid to try them yourself, or that they are alternately horrible/divine due to their dubious provenance?

The latter. Keep in mind that I can stomach damn near anything but chile (oh, the irony) but these things are so greasy I can only stand to go there once every six months or so. They're usually pretty good, though, especially if you see the spit for the shepherd-style meat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor) all worn down and thin --because then most of the grit will have come from shepherd meat, which is really delicious.

Parish
01-07-2010, 10:51 PM

Nope, I have lots of fond memories of late-night runs for Whataburger milkshakes back in college -- it was the only place in town besides Denny's open after midnight. And I always loved the bizarre KOA Kampground Kabin style of the buildings. They were designed to resemble a W, so they had a steep roof whose peak ran the entire length of the building. A lot like a church of Christ building, actually. Do they still look like that?

Silent Noise
01-07-2010, 10:54 PM
Nope, I have lots of fond memories of late-night runs for Whataburger milkshakes back in college -- it was the only place in town besides Denny's open after midnight. And I always loved the bizarre KOA Kampground Kabin style of the buildings. They were designed to resemble a W, so they had a steep roof whose peak ran the entire length of the building. A lot like a church of Christ building, actually. Do they still look like that?

About 90% do.

Red Hedgehog
01-08-2010, 12:09 AM
It's a good thing I no longer live in Philly, or I'd have a cheesesteak once a week.

Also, Kettle Chips (generally the Salt and Black Pepper variety) and Murukku/Chakri/Chakali are dangerous. If you put a bag of any size in front of me, there is a good chance I will devour it in one sitting.

Makkara
01-08-2010, 04:33 AM
YOU MADMAN seriously gtfo, that is the worst food you eat? It doesn't surprise me, though. You don't exactly strike me as hedonistic.

Oh, I'm quite decadent. When it comes to food too, really. Put some greasy or sugary junk in front of me and I'll scarf that shit down. But that hardly ever happens, because while I have very low self control when it comes to eating unhealthy food, it's easy not to buy it. It helps that I'm cheap.

Dadgum Roi
01-08-2010, 05:33 AM
They're usually pretty good, though, especially if you see the spit for the shepherd-style meat (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor) all worn down and thin --because then most of the grit will have come from shepherd meat, which is really delicious.

Ever-body knows what pastor is these days. They even sell it at the Piggly Wiggly!

taidan
01-08-2010, 06:56 AM
Five Guys is indeed awesome. Purists will tell you that only the original stores in the D.C. area are any good, but I'm not one of those purists (the ones I go to are newish franchises too), so I say eat up.

Daikaiju
01-08-2010, 07:25 AM
Chick-Fil-A's Chocolate Peppermint Milkshake is liquid frozen awesome in a cup. Thank God it only comes out once a year. Also their waffle fries are consistently delicious.

I fear the day they combine them with my other weakness, Mozzerella Fries.

Dampe
01-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Five Guys is great, however I've banned myself from going there any more since i could easily end up gaining 30 pounds on the fries alone.

NevznachaY
01-08-2010, 07:51 AM
This thread turned into a "Fast Food Chains Appreciation Thread" unsurprisingly quickly.

What about home-cooked stuff?

Potatoes and mushrooms with sour cream, fried on lard. Delicious death of your liver.

Daikaiju
01-08-2010, 10:53 AM
OK then.

Pan fried pierogies with grilled onions and sour cream.
My mom's own take on potato pancakes, made from leftover mashed potatoes
Her bone-in thin cut porkchops pan broiled with adobo seasoning and cooked almost dry (personal preference I realize)
Angel hair pasta with Maggiano's italian sauage in Neuman's Own Sockorooni Sauce
My own Apulian Potatoes, an oven roasted affair with tomatoes, red skinned potatoes, red onions, fresh oregano, basil and garlic and EVO

Damnit. Now I'm hungry.

Dadgum Roi
01-08-2010, 11:15 AM
For homemade stuff, it's got to be crispy pig skin for me.

Parish
01-08-2010, 11:19 AM
OK, non-chain stuff:

I EAT MY BODY WEIGHT IN CURRY AND KIT-KATS EVERY TIME I VISIT JAPAN.

Silent Noise
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Have you ever tried... a curry kit-kat?

Daikaiju
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
OK, non-chain stuff:

Wow, that's almost half of one of my Gaming predictions for this year. Go me!

mopinks
01-08-2010, 11:38 AM
For homemade stuff, it's got to be crispy pig skin for me.

I just tore the perfectly crispy gleaming skin off of a whole roasted chicken in one contiguous sheet and shoved it down my gullet.

skin is the best.

Mokrap of Croton
01-08-2010, 11:48 AM
Homemade stuff that's killing me:

Glorious enchiladas (smothered in cheese, of course). I always make a huge pan of them with the idea that those I live with can have some and then there will be leftovers for later. There is always much less left over than I would like to think I'd intended, haha.

Cheese sandwiches with fried bologna. Pan on the stove, butter in the pan, cheese and bread and bologna and a heart attack.

Makkara
01-08-2010, 12:02 PM

Replace curry with gyūdon and this applies to me too. I also have an unhealthy obsession with Mitsuya Cider hard candies.

Parish
01-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Also there's a pizza place a few block from my house that has rekindled my love for pizza after ten years or more of disinterest. I randomly stopped by one night last year and bought a slice of their sausage and mushroom pizza on a whim, and it blew my mind. Now I go there pretty much every Sunday for their lunch special (a huge slice and a giant drink for like $4). In fact, I think that's what I'm going to eat today, since I'm working from home. Golly!

McDohl
01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
OK, non-chain stuff:

I miss Japanese curry so much.

It is SO AMAZING <3 Curry Rice.

Falselogic
01-08-2010, 12:23 PM
Let's see the wife makes a fontina cheese and arugula pizza with some sort of magical white sauce that is AMAZING! We make a huge pizza and the two of use eat it all!

I make homemade tacos that include in the meat stuffing part mashed potatoes and then are friend in Crisco. Again I make a dozen and a half and they are all gone.

homemade Mac & Cheese with bacon.

Actually I stuff myself every night on the meals the wife and I make. The only reason I'm, not a bowl full of jelly is that we walk the dog religiously, I bike 40 minutes a day to and from work, and I swim.

Lucas
01-08-2010, 12:52 PM
I think I'm going to make a chicken nugget sandwich for lunch. At least it's on whole wheat.

NevznachaY
01-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Duck skin is an essential component of any duck-based Chinese roast!

Silent Noise
01-08-2010, 05:50 PM
Beef stroganoff.

My absolute favorite food.

When we have leftovers somedays I eat it for all three meals.

Destil
01-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Nope, I have lots of fond memories of late-night runs for Whataburger milkshakes back in college -- it was the only place in town besides Denny's open after midnight. And I always loved the bizarre KOA Kampground Kabin style of the buildings. They were designed to resemble a W, so they had a steep roof whose peak ran the entire length of the building. A lot like a church of Christ building, actually. Do they still look like that?The new ones Arizona mostly still do. Yeah, I eat there far too often, entirely because they're open all night. And their honey mustard is fantastic, I pretty much just get chicken strips every time.

I drink far too much Coke, because we have this freezer full of it for free at work. I'm happy when I'm down to two a day, which is awful.

Also, while sometimes greasy all the local Mexican taco dives are great. They all have the same menu and I know it's just awful for me, but I don't really care.

Silent Noise
01-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Do the Whataburger's in Arizona have the honey butter chicken biscuit?

benjibot
01-09-2010, 06:41 PM
There's this Arby's in Richmond,VA that looks like a ski lodge inside and in addition to your standard roast beefs you can get all manner of things your really probably ought not in a fast food place.

And Five Guys fries are pretty awesome.

Gwrrrk
01-09-2010, 07:45 PM
Realized today that my family makes a lot of meat pies every christmas, which are pretty addictive. Minced beef and pork in a flaky crust counts as unhealthy, right?

benjibot
01-09-2010, 08:29 PM
The local alternative weekly ran a cover story about mince pies and if your family's are anything like those you may just have the most artery busting foodstuff thus far.

They were attributed to all kinds of nastiness in the past. Including, if I remember correctly, madness and death.

Brickroad
01-09-2010, 08:36 PM
In the past two days I ate an entire box of Hickory Farms.

I... I think that means I might die.

Silent Noise
01-09-2010, 08:47 PM
In the past two days I ate an entire box of Hickory Farms.

I... I think that means I might die.

Well you need to eat nothing but fruits and vegetables for a week and then you should be O.K.

Gwrrrk
01-10-2010, 05:41 AM
The local alternative weekly ran a cover story about mince pies and if your family's are anything like those you may just have the most artery busting foodstuff thus far.

They were attributed to all kinds of nastiness in the past. Including, if I remember correctly, madness and death.

I'm assuming that they are not that bad, my mom tends to use the leanest meat she can find when making them.

Otherwise they are only eaten once a year, thankfully.

Tanto
01-12-2010, 10:09 AM
So this is our new thread for chain restaurants, eh?

I tried Domino's new recipe last nice (despite specifically requesting that we not have it). I was expecting the worst after Colbert's takedown of it last week, but... it's okay. Definitely better than it was, but still not good, you know? It's stepped up from being actively terrible to about the same as every other chain pizza place.

The crust is much better, though.

Falselogic
01-12-2010, 10:11 AM
So this is our new thread for chain restaurants, eh?

I tried Domino's new recipe last nice (despite specifically requesting that we not have it), and it's... okay. Definitely better than it was, but still not good, you know? It's stepped up from being actively terrible to about the same as every other chain pizza place.

The crust is much better, though.

I dont like delivery pizza anymore. I like take and bakes! Papa Murphy's that pizza is soooo good... also they sell cookie dough which I eat out of the container!

pence
01-12-2010, 11:09 AM
The worst food I can't stop eating is this open box of chocolate mini donuts someone put on top of the cubical wall.

Gwrrrk
01-12-2010, 11:41 AM
I dont like delivery pizza anymore. I like take and bakes! Papa Murphy's that pizza is soooo good... also they sell cookie dough which I eat out of the container!

Yeah, most chain pizza places usually blows. Take out pizza from independent pizza places can be the best though. There is this one place in my hometown that makes the pizza so mouthwateringly delicious that I wish they could deliver to our house three hours away.

I also occasionally get cravings for shitty frozen pizza. Don't ask me why.

mopinks
01-12-2010, 12:10 PM
chain pizza that does not blow:

Marco's! (http://marcospizza.com/) one of them just moved in to replace the abandoned Domino's down the street, and I was honestly shocked by how good the pizza was. the meatballs are even better.

Round Table! (http://roundtablepizza.com) it's almost twice as expensive as most chain pizza, but by god you get what you pay for. (they do have an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet for seven bucks which is a crazy good deal and also probably something you shouldn't be eating. so it's perfect for this thread!)

that's all, that is the end of the list.

Falselogic
01-12-2010, 12:30 PM

I occasionally get the craving for shitty Pizza Hut crust stuffed pizza

Knight
01-12-2010, 12:46 PM
Yeah, most chain pizza places usually blows. Take out pizza from independent pizza places can be the best though. There is this one place in my hometown that makes the pizza so mouthwateringly delicious that I wish they could deliver to our house three hours away.

Yea, I don't really do delivery anymore, unless the stars align, and both my wife and I are too lazy to go out and pickup food, and we have a real craving for that specific delivery brand of pizza. There's a local place within walking distance from our apartment that has great takeout/eat-in pizza that we used to go to at least once a month, but that kinda stopped recently since money has been kinda tight. We usually just get a stuffed crust Digorno for our pizza fix now, since it's only a bit smaller and only $6ish instead of $15+tip.

chain pizza that does not blow:

Marco's! (http://marcospizza.com/) one of them just moved in to replace the abandoned Domino's down the street, and I was honestly shocked by how good the pizza was. the meatballs are even better.

Round Table! (http://roundtablepizza.com) it's almost twice as expensive as most chain pizza, but by god you get what you pay for. (they do have an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet for seven bucks which is a crazy good deal and also probably something you shouldn't be eating. so it's perfect for this thread!)

that's all, that is the end of the list.
Oh my god, I miss Round Table even more than I miss In and Out. I kept meaning to go to Round Table when I was visiting my parents, but I just never made the time, and I totally regret it. Why can't they be in Texas too?

I'll have to give Marco's a try though, they have a place kinda near me.

Falselogic
01-12-2010, 12:50 PM
I crave In and Out all the time but it doesn't count, as In and Out is demonstrably good for you in every way!

Reinforcements
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM
Doesn't necessarily fit the thread since I don't actually eat there hardly ever, but I really like Pizza Hut. It sure fits the "terrible for you" part, though.

pence
01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
There's a place in West Chester called New Haven Pizza that makes, in my opinion, the best cheesesteaks. I used to walk there from my old apartment and carry a western steak (cheez whiz, bacon) back to my room to play video games. Never thought I'd actually be nostalgic for that drafty old apartment, but that was a really profound encapsulation of my life being adrift without a degree - eating delicious, crappy food and being a slacker living on $300 a month. I still get that sandwich whenever I go back.

Reinforcements
01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
Speaking of cheesesteaks, Pence, there's a place called Penn Steak and Fries (I think it's a franchise?) in the Coventry Mall food court of all places, and their food is AMAZING. They have far and away the best buffalo chicken cheesesteak I've ever eaten.

pence
01-12-2010, 01:36 PM
Interesting... I've never really gone up to Pottstown to shop (I'm closer to Exton and King of Prussia, or even Delaware), but it's not too far away; possibly worth a trip since I do love a buffalo chicken cheesesteak!

dtsund
01-12-2010, 01:40 PM
What came immediately to mind is mentos. I'll chew on one, then, you know, I only had one, so I'll have another, and then eventually I'll look at the roll in my hand and it's almost all gone.

Abominable K
01-12-2010, 03:34 PM
I've recently cut back on sodas and carryout but for some reason I've had a crazy craving for milkshakes lately.

This is probably due to the fact that they opened a BR Express 2 minutes from my house.

redstuff
01-15-2010, 12:38 PM
I find myself eating McDonald's and other fast food here more than I'd like, simply because any halfway decent Western food costs a fortune.

Wolfgang
01-15-2010, 01:38 PM
The worst food I can't stop eating is this open box of chocolate mini donuts someone put on top of the cubical wall.

OOHHHHH FUCK I can't even have those in the house, or my mouth turns into a vacuum hose and I just suck them down in as short a time as possible.

mopinks
01-15-2010, 03:44 PM
I hadn't had any wonderful greasy taco truck tacos in a pretty long while. I rectified the situation!

it is amazing how quickly they disappear into my mouth.

Epithet
01-16-2010, 05:03 PM
What came immediately to mind is mentos. I'll chew on one, then, you know, I only had one, so I'll have another, and then eventually I'll look at the roll in my hand and it's almost all gone.

This is the main reason why I hardly ever get mentos any more.

Epistaxis
01-17-2010, 06:15 PM
I just had my sixth can of soda today.
I suspect I may have a sugar addiction.

Edit: This was about to go in discontent, but my problems would seem incredibly small by comparison.

le geek
01-18-2010, 08:56 AM
DQ Classic with Cheese and instead of their crappy fries, order a hot dog. If throwing caution to the wind, get a small Blizzard as your drink...

or....

Going to Golden Coral EVER.

Silent Noise
01-18-2010, 09:17 AM
Going to Golden Coral EVER.

Lady
01-18-2010, 09:54 AM
goddamn potato chips.

When my mom quit smoking, I told her I would try to get off of the potato chip habit. I think she's been more successful than me :|

KCar
01-18-2010, 10:07 AM
Liverwurst was on sale. Now, I am having a hard time not making and eating a toasted liverwurst and dijon sandwich :\

Shadax
01-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Any and all tex-mex, but at least I have the good sense to not ask for white sauce with my chips.

Sanagi
01-18-2010, 05:32 PM
I still eat pizza rolls even though they have gotten progressively more bland and cardboard-like as the years have passed. I tend not to even enjoy them that much anymore and just eat them out of habit. I should probably stop.

Paul le Fou
01-20-2010, 05:22 AM
Man nothing in Japan is good for you unless you're eating like plain rice (although they do eat a fucking ton of it and usually with every meal) or plain noodles or raw fish or something. Like half of everything here is fried or just as greasy. The quality cuts of meat here are the fatty ones; they don't even take the skin off their chicken (gross when cooked, but when fried...) Metabolisms over here are so crazy that worrying about dietary health to the same extent we do is relatively rare.

The worst of it for me is Tonkatsu (fried pork cutlet), especially in Katsudon (with egg and onion over rice) or Katsu-curry (with... curry. And rice). That or Karaage (Japanese fried chicken). I do love me some Oden, which isn't AS bad, but it's still PRETTY bad. Or what about om-soba (yakisoba covered in a thin omelette with ketchup and mayonnaise)?

Have you ever tried... a curry kit-kat?

You think you're joking. You think this isn't a real thing.

You're wrong.

As in "roast beef."

Actually it's from Raffel Brothers, the founders of the restaurant. Also roast beef.

Arby's is my favorite fast food restaurant though. The curly fries, some of the sandwiches (chicken especially), and the "appetizers" esp. the mozzarella sticks. Those goddamn mozzarella sticks. UNNNNGH.

Although I'm also really partial to Wendy's. I used to think their fries were bland but they've grown on me.

In N' Out had decent burgers and shakes and abysmal fries. Seriously some of the worst french fries I've ever had from any established restaurant.

Five Guys : Chipotle :: McDonald's : Taco Bell.

estragon
01-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Man nothing in Japan is good for you unless you're eating like plain rice

But . . . almost every example you listed is fast food?

Japanese people don't have the longest life span in the world for no reason at all.

Makkara
01-20-2010, 05:44 AM
Yeah, there's plenty of healthy Japanese food. Like nattō.

Just remember not to bathe in it.

Paul le Fou
01-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Well,
a) we're talking about the foods that I eat,
b) I'm too lazy to cook and really this isn't unique at all to Japan - it's easy to eat healthy if you know what to and can/will cook it for yourself
c) I find most traditional Japanese food - i.e. the healthy stuff - astonishingly bland. Yeah, we too could live forever eating rice and miso soup, but where would be the joy in that? I really like miso soup and shioyaki and a lot of non-fast Japanese food, but I could never survive on it alone.

taosterman
01-20-2010, 05:26 PM
In N' Out had decent burgers and shakes and abysmal fries. Seriously some of the worst french fries I've ever had from any established restaurant.

You have to get them extra crispy. In their normal form they're mushy. In fried-as-fuck form they're heavenly.

Also, burgers (and, if you're feeling especially decadent, fries) should be approached Animal Style whenever possible.

mopinks
01-20-2010, 05:53 PM
In N Out fries are seriously lousy, which is okay with me, because I'd really rather not be eating fries anyway.

the burger is all the salt and fat I need in my meal.

Falselogic
01-20-2010, 06:58 PM
In N Out fries are seriously lousy, which is okay with me, because I'd really rather not be eating fries anyway.

the burger is all the salt and fat I need in my meal.

Also you have to eat your animal style burger over your fries (which are also animal style) this way the fries taste like your burger!

Doing this is illegal in most states!

Austintatious
01-21-2010, 07:05 PM
All of you fry lovers: please start eating poutine! It's fries with cheese curds and gravy. It's delicious.

It's a Montreal thing, I hear; very popular there. However! I live in Portland, Oregon, and there is a food cart (Potato Champion (http://www.potatochampion.com/)) that makes excellent poutine. I stuff myself with it at least once a week.

I'd like to make it on my own, drunkenly, but cheese curds aren't the kind of thing you can buy at a grocery store.

blinkpen
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Those greasy fuckin' nasty fuckin' cheap fuckin' white-trash fuckin' five dollar pizzas from Little Ceasars?

I can't stop fuckin' eating them.

Paul le Fou
01-21-2010, 11:41 PM
You have to get them extra crispy. In their normal form they're mushy. In fried-as-fuck form they're heavenly.

Nope, tried them extra crispy. Instead of soggy shitty fries they were rock-hard shitty fries. Animal Style was unimpressive as well. Them fries just sucks.

gamin
01-22-2010, 12:06 AM
Little Caesars pizza is great: for the price of a frozen grocery pizza you're getting a decent, fresh pizza, hot and ready to eat. Domino's and Pizza Hut offer the same quality, only they charge twice as much. Little Caesars needs to make a comeback, they have so few locations around here.

Lucas
01-22-2010, 12:20 AM
for the price of a frozen grocery pizza you're getting a decent, fresh pizza, hot and ready to eat.

What. Are you talking about the $5 grab-and-go pepperoni pizza? Maybe one time I've actually gotten a fresh pizza from doing that, and it was decidedly not a grab-and-go experience. Any other kind of pizza and the price becomes comparable to any other pizza chain. In my opinion, just about any frozen pizza (that isn't a buck for a personal pie) is at least as good as as a cheap Little Caesar's pie.

gamin
01-22-2010, 12:40 AM
I guess the trick is to catch them during high customer volume. The take and go pizzas I've had are always still hot and watching them work the ovens it seemed like they're no more then 20 minutes of being out of the oven.

taosterman
01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Nope, tried them extra crispy. Instead of soggy shitty fries they were rock-hard shitty fries. Animal Style was unimpressive as well. Them fries just sucks.

What's your take on other fast food fries? Because In-N-Out's don't stand up to the best fries I've had at non-franchise burger joints, but compared to the limp ones at Jack in the Box, Burger King, Wendy's and Arby's a lot more craft goes into them.

Healy
01-22-2010, 02:07 PM
You guys I can't stop eating Gushers. And Fruit Roll-Ups!

These two things are basically solidified corn syrup.

Paul le Fou
01-24-2010, 06:20 AM
What's your take on other fast food fries? Because In-N-Out's don't stand up to the best fries I've had at non-franchise burger joints, but compared to the limp ones at Jack in the Box, Burger King, Wendy's and Arby's a lot more craft goes into them.

I would readily eat any and all of those french fries over In-n-out fries. I especially enjoy Wendy's and Arby's. Wendy's fries are thick enough to have real potato in them and are generally crispy on the outside to boot. Arby's fries are fantastic.

Look I'll be frank: as far as I am concerned In-n-out fries are just absolutely fucking terrible. I've never had a good fry experience at In-n-out, normally or in any of their cutesy little secret orders or whatever, and I've eaten at a number of different places in the LA area a number of times. The fries are bland, and either completely limp and soggy or stupidly overcooked and rock hard. Covering them with sauce and cheese and onions isn't even enough to fix them. I literally cannot comprehend how anyone could consider them to be good fries unless you have to know yet another wink-nudge secret handshake to ask them not to fuck up my goddamn french fries.

Their burgers aren't even that great.

In-n-out is the most overrated fast food joint I have ever encountered.

John
01-24-2010, 07:36 AM
Look I'll be frank: as far as I am concerned In-n-out fries are just absolutely fucking terrible.

Finally. In N Out's fries are just potatoes, shoved through an extruder on site, and dropped in some oil (and I understand the irony in that statement). Most other fast food places (JitB excluded) will grind up the potatoes, add seasonings, then turn them into fry form, to be shipped to the franchises and cooked later. I would argue that In N Out's fries are more authentic, since they're just french fried potaters mmmhhhuhn. Other places have discovered how to make them better.

taosterman
01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
OK OK it was just a request for perspective, is all. Didn't know you felt that strongly.

Falselogic
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Cheetos, the crunchy kind and just regular old cheese flavored

EDIT: Paul doesn't know the secret handshake, which is why he doesn't 'get' In n' Out. No, Paul I will not tell you the secret handshake, you can't be in our club

Sanagi
01-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Yesterday I broke down and bought Suzy Qs in a convenience store. The Suzy Q is like a sandwich made of unfood but so fluffy and full of delicious magic. Yum.

Loon_X01
01-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Ahh....Finnish pancakes. Why must you be so delicious yet so full of cholesterol at the same time?

Destil
01-30-2010, 08:44 PM
Do the Whataburger's in Arizona have the honey butter chicken biscuit?

They do now, appaerantly. I just got back from there with some chickenstrips. They any good?

dwolfe
01-30-2010, 10:53 PM
Bacon! There's always room for bacon. In other foods, on top of them crumbled, freshly cooked or cooked and straight out of the fridge or freezer.

Hide your bacon, guys!

mopinks
01-31-2010, 06:04 AM
PRINGLES RESTAURANT CRAVERS (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sa_steve/2942977698/)
every time I find a new flavor, I have to buy it. there is no other option.

Onion Blossom and Mexican Layered Dip are definitely the best, but they're all pretty darn good. why don't more chips (and/or crisps) taste like horseradish??

Paul le Fou
01-31-2010, 06:17 AM
Grape fanta. Having it in the vending machine immediately outside my apartment does not help.

Jeanie
01-31-2010, 07:18 AM
I just had breakfast at Burger King and those Funnel Cake Sticks are soooo good.

FSS
02-01-2010, 02:05 AM
How about that Wendy's Triple Baconator?

A premium bun filled with three 1/4 lb. fresh, never frozen patties. Piled high with Applewood smoked bacon, mayo, ketchup, and sliced American cheese all made to order. It's enough to make your mouth water.

I think they meant "It's enough to make your heart stop." Nothing says "American Hamburger" like this does.

Balrog
02-01-2010, 06:07 AM
PRINGLES RESTAURANT CRAVERS (http://www.flickr.com/photos/sa_steve/2942977698/)
every time I find a new flavor, I have to buy it. there is no other option.

Onion Blossom and Mexican Layered Dip are definitely the best, but they're all pretty darn good. why don't more chips (and/or crisps) taste like horseradish??

Onion Blossom and Buffalo Wing taste just like they're supposed to, it's weird.

Plastic Machine
02-01-2010, 01:33 PM
Tommy's Hamburgers (http://www.originaltommys.com/)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned it since In-and-Out has already popped up but you know, there's a special quality to the chili they use at Tommy's. All those horror stories your mother told you about what would happen if you ate your gum really applies to the food they serve here. You can feel it after you're done. This food has inertia.

Undoctored images of real food!

Chili Tamale (http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1489/chilitamale.jpg) - Really, there's a tamale in there.

Chili Fries (http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/8306/chilifries.jpg) - Well I know it looks like something you'd see sitting on a tray in an operating room...

It's all still pretty delicious! I try to limit myself to one visit every six months to minimize the health effects. What I find especially distressing is that there was enough demand that they now actually sell the chili by itself in cartons for you to take home and contaminate other things with it.

Or maybe even eat it out of the carton with a spoon. *sobs*

Ghost from Spelunker
02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
The store had salt and pepper potato chips, but only in the party size 14 oz. I still bought it and ate the whole bag.

Red Hedgehog
02-08-2010, 10:43 PM
The East Side Ink at the local deli:

Grilled roast beef, bacon and swiss over lettuce, tomato, hot peppers and mustard on a hero roll.

Granted I only eat it once every two weeks or so, but it always feels like I am cutting my life short a day every time I do.

Brickroad
02-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Yesterday for breakfast I had a grilled cheese sandwich.

The day before that for breakfast I had a grilled cheese sandwich.

The day before that for breakfast I had two grilled cheese sandwiches.

Not sure what I'll have for breakfast tomorrow.

dtsund
02-08-2010, 10:55 PM
Grilled cheese pancakes?

Brickroad
02-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Grilled cheese pancakes?

Sir I do believe you might have just invented something awesome.

Jesus Christ, now the breakroom vending machine has WHITE CASTLES in it. Stop trying to kill me, employer!

Silent Noise
02-08-2010, 11:12 PM
They do now, appaerantly. I just got back from there with some chickenstrips. They any good?

GOD YES!

Dizzy
04-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Thank goodness Number Nate is here to breakdown the lethality of KFC's latest burger bomber (http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/04/double-down-by-numbers-unhealthiest.html).

I'm gonna have to print and laminate those charts and keep 'em handy in case I want to check out via cardiac arrest.

Dawnswalker
04-20-2010, 05:13 PM
HAY GUYS ITZ SLUSHIE SEASON

FSS
04-20-2010, 10:20 PM
I just made brownies, and now I'm topping them with ice cream, whipped cream, chocolate syrup... a good way to loose all my teeth by age 30, I'm sure!

Destil
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Thank goodness Number Nate is here to breakdown the lethality of KFC's latest burger bomber (http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/04/double-down-by-numbers-unhealthiest.html).

I'm gonna have to print and laminate those charts and keep 'em handy in case I want to check out via cardiac arrest.
HAH. The entire programming team, except for me, went to KFC on Tuesday and got those (I was out sick Monday and wasn't feeling that horrid thing, especially after 2 hours of sleep the night before).

Comb Stranger
04-22-2010, 09:04 AM
I'm eating a footlong Subway Chicken Bacon Ranch, and do so... just about daily. At 1.54DD/Cal, I should probably be dead. Fortunately, I walk several miles most days, so it tends to cancel out.

Falselogic
04-22-2010, 09:36 AM
breakfast burritos. Doesn't matter who makes them I eat them and they always leave my gastrointestinal tract quivering...

Sven
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
breakfast burritos. Doesn't matter who makes them I eat them and they always leave my gastrointestinal tract quivering...

Same here. I finally just gave up and started hacking them together myself.

Other bad thing for me: chinese dumplings. Actually, dumplings of any type; one of the best things I had at the food festival last year was a beef cheek soup dumpling.

Jesus Christ, now the breakroom vending machine has WHITE CASTLES in it.

Is that like Dana's fridge in Ghostbusters?

pence
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
HAH. The entire programming team, except for me, went to KFC on Tuesday and got those (I was out sick Monday and wasn't feeling that horrid thing, especially after 2 hours of sleep the night before).

I have not experienced it myself, but my gut instinct is that the Double Down has nothing, nothing on the old Burger King Loaded Steakhouse burger. Also, if you step outside of the realm of fast food, an Uno's 'personal' meat pizza is probably up there, I think it's ~1500 calories (ed: it's actually 2300), and you will hate yourself for days afterword.

Edit: behold, the Chicago Classic:
http://www.unos.com/kiosk/nutrition/classic.html

Relevant facts:

Calories 770
Servings, Ind: 3

http://i42.tinypic.com/34y36td.jpg

There are 2300 calories in this picture. I dare you to divide those four slices into three servings.

Eddie
04-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I just ate this chicken bacon mushroom cheese melt slice of pizza. If anyone asks: Atkin's Diet!

(such a stupid diet fad)

- Eddie

Pajaro Pete
04-22-2010, 12:46 PM
Pence, I think we need to have an intervention re: your masochistic streak. It's come to a point where it's no longer a fun hobby, but something that is actually harming your well being.

pence
04-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Pence, I think we need to have an intervention re: your masochistic streak. It's come to a point where it's no longer a fun hobby, but something that is actually harming your well being.

I actually do not think I could bear to eat another Uno's personal pizza. I went there a few years ago, felt really sick after finishing the thing, looked it up, and that's when I discovered just how horrifying it was. I think the most sinister thing is how innocuous it is. When I look at that pizza, my first instinct isn't 'ew, gross!' like most examples of the internet's bacon obsession.

Balrog
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
The nice thing about being fat is that every pizza is personal sized :X

Solaris
04-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Candies made with obscene amounts of ghee. Tasty.