PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Pizza

Merus
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
I got a pizza stone for Christmas, so I've been making me some pizzas. I'm too lazy to make my own pizza dough yet (although with my small freezer, it's a much better idea than buying bases) but the idea of putting the oven on and getting a pizza fifteen minutes later is just so appealing.

So far, I find pasta sauce an excellent base; it's mostly tomato and herbs as it is, and tomato paste is expensive and overly strong. I've been using up this ham I'm suspicious of - it's still pink but a bit slimy - and making hawaiian pizza. I've had some luck with chicken pizza as well, with capsicum (green pepper) and mushrooms. It's okay, but it needs a little something extra. I want to try a dessert pizza next - apparently chocolate hazelnut spread is the way to go.

Anyone else made homemade pizza? What's your favourite toppings?

Silent Noise
01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
My favorite home made pizza toppings are, broccoli sliced thin, feta cheese crumbles, kalamata olives, jalepenos, sundried tomatoes, not all together of course.

There is this pizza recipe I really want to try, it has corn, ground beef, small tortilla chips, tomatoes, jalepenos, with a sort of smokey mexican style tomato-cream sauce.

Falselogic
01-12-2010, 03:08 PM
I have a wonderful recipe for a great pizza that isn't dependent on a red sauce. As soon as I get home I'll share it with you

Lucas
01-12-2010, 03:25 PM
I had a homemade bacon cheeseburger pizza for my birthday last year - crust, red sauce mixed with barbecue sauce, mozzarella and cheddar cheeses, ground beef, and bacon. It was delicious.

Kyven
01-12-2010, 04:54 PM
This is the recipe I've been using for a while:

Ingredients:

Dough

* 1 Cup Water
* 1 Tablespoon Honey
* Teaspoon Garlic Powder
* 2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Dark Olive Oil
* 1 Teaspoon Yeast
* Teaspoon Kosher Salt
* 4 Cups + King Arthur All-Purpose Flour

Sauce

* 1 28 oz. Can Muir Glen Organic Whole Peeled Tomatoes (drained)
* Cup + Olive Oil
* Teaspoon Kosher Salt
* 1 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
* 1 Tablespoon Honey
* ⅛ Teaspoon Fennel Seeds (crushed)
* Teaspoon Oregano
* Teaspoon Garlic Powder
* Tablespoon Dried Basil

Toppings

* 1 lb. Mozzarella Cheese
* lb. Parmesan Cheese
* 6 White Mushrooms
* 1/3 Stick Pepperoni

(Makes enough for two pizzas)

Directions:

Preparing the dough:

1. Heat 1 cup water to 115F. Pour in mixing bowl, stir in 1 tablespoon honey, and sift in yeast. Let sit in a warm place for 15 minutes.
2. Using the paddle attachment mix Teaspoon Garlic Powder, 2 tablespoons extra virgin dark olive oil, teaspoon kosher salt and 4 cups flour into yeast mixture.
3. After combining, attach dough hook and knead until dough forms into a ball. Add extra flour or water, tablespoon at a time, if necessary. Let sit for at least 40 minutes.
4. Optional: Let sit in refrigerator overnight.

Preparing the sauce:

1. Heat cup olive oil in a large pan on high. Add in tomatoes and reduce heat to low-medium.
2. While crushing tomatoes with a large spoon stir in teaspoon kosher salt, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, 1 tablespoon honey, ⅛ teaspoon crushed fennel seeds, Teaspoon Oregano, teaspoon garlic powder, and tablespoon dried basil.
3. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool before using.

Baking:

1. Pre-heat oven to 500F.
2. Knead the dough and form into a flat disc. Place in a cast-iron skillet, coated with olive oil, and work up the sides. Add toppings and place on the center rack of the oven.
3. Cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/6899/deepdishpizza.jpg

Warg
01-12-2010, 05:37 PM
Shoot, I only slightly recall making my own pizza maybe when I was a teen (hah, and on a field trip I took when I was in first grade, to a local pizzeria!) -- but what I end up doing now is taking a mostly-bare frozen one and adding my own ingredients. Perhaps this thread can be an excuse to make my own!

Anyway, though, I'm not sure I can ever have too many olives & green bell peppers, short of them rolling off the pie.

KCar
01-12-2010, 05:43 PM
caramelize some onions, put those where the sauce should be. Now slice some pears thin and spread them around. Add dollops of goat cheese over all that. Bake, slice, enjoy.

You could also dash some balsamic, either with the onions or over the pears.

Balrog
01-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I like grilled chicken with either smoked bacon or Canadian bacon on mine.

vaterite
01-12-2010, 07:31 PM
So far, I find pasta sauce an excellent base

If you've got a blender or a food processor, hit some canned diced tomatoes for a few pusles, and then drain them in a colander for about twenty minutes. Add a little sugar & salt (maybe 1/2 tsp), minced garlic and fresh basil. This sauce tastes really bright and fresh.

In my opinion you can never go wrong with goat cheese. If you're looking to surprise people with an interesting topping they've never had before try thinly sliced carrots.

caramelize some onions, put those where the sauce should be. Now slice some pears thin and spread them around. Add dollops of goat cheese over all that. Bake, slice, enjoy.

Mmmm. I think I'll enjoy that tomorrow.

shivam
01-12-2010, 07:35 PM
make your own sauce! fuck that premade shit.

Canned stewed San Marzano tomatos, basil and oregano, salt and pepper, some sugar, lots of garlic and thinnly sliced onions.

Stephen
01-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Preparing the dough:

4. Optional: Let sit in refrigerator overnight.

If you want real, stretchy pizza dough that has the proper texture once cooked, that last step isn't really optional. I also prefer to knead by hand for 15 minutes. It's a lot of work, but pizzas shouldn't be easy. Once you take it out of the frig, let it sit for about half an hour, then knead it until it firms up. If you want crunchy crust, put the toppings on and cook it immediately. If you want chewy, let it sit for another 10-15 minutes.

Another good tip is to use 3 (or more) different kinds of cheese. Don't mix them, just sprinkle them on separately.

My favorite combo is: garlic flavored olive oil, Mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, tomato slices, spinach, feta cheese.

daroga
01-12-2010, 08:17 PM
My wife makes some great pizzas, each with its own kind of sauce. A hand-tossed, thin crust, deep dish, and now we're trying a Chicago-Style that has far too much butter in the crust (read: is delicious).

If anyone's interested in some recipes, let me know.

We usually go Pepperoni and Mushroom or Sausage, Green Pepper, and Onion, but a lot of time just plain cheese is pretty great too. Ricotta is a great, if somewhat unfamiliar option too.

Merus
01-12-2010, 08:31 PM
If you've got a blender or a food processor

I don't, hence why I'm using bottled sauce. I live in an Italian neighbourhood these days, I might be able to rustle up a good source for homemade sauce. Pardon the pun.

Silent Noise
01-15-2010, 10:41 PM
Can we play a game? Someone says a food theme and then someone posts a pizza recipe for that theme.

Lebonese.

Epistaxis
01-17-2010, 08:45 AM
(I've got nothing) How has nobody mentioned parsley flakes yet? That stuff is surprisingly awesome on any pizza. I recently got a stone too, but I've just been using it to cook store-bought stuff.

Azar
01-17-2010, 09:42 AM
I made pizza a lot when I was a kid/teenager, using premade crusts (Mama Mary's was the brand, I think) and usually organic spaghetti sauce. Pepperoni, mushrooms, and grilled chicken make for a wonderful combination of toppings.