PDA

View Full Version : The "Not worth its own thread" thread - Food Edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

benjibot
01-16-2010, 04:37 PM
Because it was inevitable…

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae350/benjibot1/mintufos.jpg

Dark chocolate, mint, pixel font… I seem to be exactly the target demo for these candies.

Epithet
01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
The funny things is that those look like regular old mint candies. They don't even look especially UFO-ish.

Dawnswalker
01-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Yeah, if they weren't flat on the bottom, they would be a more perfect UFO shape.

Inasmuch as one can have a "perfect" UFO shape.

mopinks
01-16-2010, 04:58 PM
at first I thought it said "rich, undetectable spheres". it would've fit with the UFO shtick!

also, those don't look like any spheres I've ever seen.

Lucas
01-16-2010, 05:58 PM
I gave in to my cravings today and for breakfast I took a couple slices of sourdough cracked wheat, spread margarine across them, sprinkled a pinch of kosher salt over each one, and popped them in the toaster over until the bread was warm and the margarine melted.

It was delicious and I don't regret a thing.

Also, what the hell kind of spheres are those?

Silent Noise
01-16-2010, 06:23 PM
http://www.consumersinternational.org/files/98555/FileName/fun-snacks-web.jpg

And you guys thought it was impossible to crap bricks.

Seth Marati
01-16-2010, 07:04 PM
Prunes have a reputation of existing only so that old, plugged-up people can have a bowel movement, which I think is unfair. They're really tasty!

Violentvixen
01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Because it was inevitable…

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae350/benjibot1/mintufos.jpg

Dark chocolate, mint, pixel font… I seem to be exactly the target demo for these candies.

I saw these today! I was equally excited.

mopinks
01-16-2010, 11:51 PM
an awesome thing: the Indian restaurant on the corner is also an Indian convenience store and sweets shop! so after I gorged myself on chicken saag I picked up a bag of this stuff (http://www.ishopindian.com/haldirams-khatta-meetha-snack-mix-pr-21588.html) and a whole bunch of this stuff (http://wigroceries.com/store/images/misc/IMG_0884.JPG).

I will probably eat all of it before the weekend is over.

Red Hedgehog
01-17-2010, 12:58 AM
an awesome thing: the Indian restaurant on the corner is also an Indian convenience store and sweets shop! so after I gorged myself on chicken saag I picked up a bag of this stuff (http://www.ishopindian.com/haldirams-khatta-meetha-snack-mix-pr-21588.html) and a whole bunch of this stuff (http://wigroceries.com/store/images/misc/IMG_0884.JPG).

I will probably eat all of it before the weekend is over.

I highly recommend a bag of Murruku/Chakri/Chakali. A fried, spicy, Indian potato chip equivalent that is heavenly.

Chu
01-17-2010, 08:01 AM
I know it's kind of a controversial subject but... I ate whale at a restaurant in Shibuya on Saturday. Me and my friend shared whale steak, whale sashimi, and whale katsu. It was pretty good! It had the texture of beef, but a unique "tang" that gave it a distinct flavor.

Gwrrrk
01-17-2010, 01:36 PM
I realized today that my diet is turning into less of a "I am eating three large meals a day" to more of a "I am eating very small servings as well as snacking at multiple points throughout the day."

Posaune
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I know it's kind of a controversial subject but... I ate whale at a restaurant in Shibuya on Saturday. Me and my friend shared whale steak, whale sashimi, and whale katsu. It was pretty good! It had the texture of beef, but a unique "tang" that gave it a distinct flavor.

Really, I'd heard whale is pretty boring. Maybe it is because there are so many different cuts of it..

shivam
01-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I highly recommend a bag of Murruku/Chakri/Chakali. A fried, spicy, Indian potato chip equivalent that is heavenly.

chakri is my favorite snack food EVER.
it's garbanzo flour deep fried into spiral shapes.

Matchstick
01-17-2010, 08:50 PM
I just got back from an awesome meal at a churrascaria we were trying out, since the one we used to go to closed its doors (to our dismay). The meal was great, but the interesting part was the dessert. When we got the list, I asked my friend that was with us (who is 1/2 Brazilian) what "walnut cream" was. His eyes bugged out and he looked at the menu to verify that they had it. Apparently, it's a traditional dessert that doesn't get made very often in any restaurants (I'd certainly never heard of it). He said, "It's exactly what it sounds like." Since I love walnuts, I decided to give it a try. It was basically a metric ton of chopped walnuts in a suspension of a light chocolate mousse. Man, was it tasty.

Silent Noise
01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
http://www.kevinfreitas.net/img/20060830-taco-cones.jpg

I want those so bad.

TheSL
01-19-2010, 06:26 AM
The founder of Taco Bell died. (http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2010/01/glen_bell_founder_of_taco_bell.html)

Calorie Mate
01-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Emergency time: I have (delicious) left over chile for lunch today, but I forgot a fork or spoon with which to eat it. What's a man to do?

Balrog
01-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Emergency time: I have (delicious) left over chile for lunch today, but I forgot a fork or spoon with which to eat it. What's a man to do?

MAN UP

TheSL
01-19-2010, 12:14 PM

Put it in a cup and drink it?

Calorie Mate
01-19-2010, 12:56 PM
MAN UP

...I asked the secretary for help and she found a plastic spoon for me.

Dawnswalker
01-19-2010, 02:06 PM
That's good enough.

If you were a real man you would have used your hand...

Phat
01-19-2010, 03:42 PM
I just brewed this stuff that calls itself "green tea with jasmine" and HOLY LORD does it taste like bitter ass soap.

I have a 400g tin of this shit!

shivam
01-19-2010, 04:25 PM
you left it too long. green tea needs like one minute before you pull it out. if you can't see the bottom of your glass, its overdone.

cortbassist89
01-19-2010, 05:22 PM
Not Worth Its Own Bread?

Apparently, I am the only person in Oklahoma who loves bologna.

nunix
01-19-2010, 05:33 PM
you left it too long. green tea needs like one minute before you pull it out. if you can't see the bottom of your glass, its overdone.

Are you talking about bags? I always leave loose leaf in the pot. Pour after ~2 minutes, and then just let it steep til I finish the first cup (I have these small clay teacups so the second batch steeps maybe ~10 minutes) and then pour the rest.

Phat: also, green tea should be in water that's about 150 F, and definitely not more than about 165 F. If you just wait for the water to boil, let it sit for 10 minutes or so before adding it to the leaves (I'm assuming leaves since you mention a 400g tin).

Tea is kinda bitter anyway, as a rule.

Thanks to ZRofel's recent anecdote I just ordered a bunch of Chinese food for dinner. so hungry.

Phat
01-19-2010, 06:19 PM
You misunderstand me! I brew loose-leaf tea all the time. This jasmine tea has a regular green counterpart that tastes just fine. It's just, I don't know, a really shitty additive or flavouring or something.

I have this maple-flavoured stuff that brews to the colour, strength and consistency of black coffee in like four seconds but for some reason this jasmine tea takes the cake.

EXTRA TEA COMMENTS: Every time I go to Halifax I visit this hardcore Chinese dude who sells imported tea out of a house. There is tea stacked floor to ceiling like a Japanese bachelor's videogame collection and you can never leave without trying all the new flavours he just shipped in. Drinking shot after shot of delicious tea with a tea monk in a tiny little duplex is a religious experience.

nunix
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
You misunderstand me! I brew loose-leaf tea all the time. This jasmine tea has a regular green counterpart that tastes just fine. It's just, I don't know, a really shitty additive or flavouring or something.

Oh!

Yeah I don't think I'd buy any kinda leaves with extra flavouring added, that seems like a recipe.. for disaster.

Bergasa
01-20-2010, 10:30 AM
So guys, throwback sodas. By popular demand, Throwback Pepsi and Mountain Dew has been brought back, and Dr. Pepper is getting in on the action with "Heritage Dr. Pepper." Dr. Pepper is my favourite soda, so I'm particularly excited about that one, but I missed out on the Pepsi and Mountain Dew last time, so I look forward to getting in on those too.

All of these are advertised as containing "real sugar." If they don't currently contain real sugar, what are they using? Is this a disctinction between cane sugar and corn syrup?

Also, where have you guys found these in stores? Anyone come across the Heritage Dr. Pepper yet?

shivam
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
currently, sodas use corn syrup.

my discontent-- i was making a pot of tea, and didnt have my little tea ball thing, so i poured straight from the bag, and the whole fucking bag fell in, and i wasted it all =(

TheSL
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
All of these are advertised as containing "real sugar." If they don't currently contain real sugar, what are they using? Is this a disctinction between cane sugar and corn syrup?

Also, where have you guys found these in stores? Anyone come across the Heritage Dr. Pepper yet?

I've got a couple cases of the Dr. Pepper, just picked them up at Target last week. And yeah, the difference is just that its made with sugar in place of high-fructose corn syrup.

dangerhelvetica
01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
You know, I realized that I have no idea what high fructose corn syrup is, so I asked Wikipedia.

High-fructose corn syrup is produced by milling corn to produce corn starch, then processing that starch to yield corn syrup, which is almost entirely glucose, and then adding enzymes that change most of the glucose into fructose. The resulting syrup (after enzyme conversion) contains approximately 90% fructose and is HFCS 90. To make the other common forms of HFCS (HFCS 55 and HFCS 42) the HFCS 90 is mixed with 100% glucose corn syrup in the appropriate ratios to form the desired HFCS

...huh?

Ethan
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Bergasa is late to the Pollan party.

"Normal" soft drinks use high fructose corn syrup, which is a distant chemical derivative of American commodity corn. People are against it because its usage feeds the corrupt cycle of American agribusiness, it allows for previously sugared drinks to be made much sweeter and much more caloric for less money (which preys on the health of people with lower income), it may or may not be harder for us to metabolize than simple crystallized cane juice, it takes a lot of fossil fuel energy to produce, and it arguably does not taste as good.

Bergasa
01-20-2010, 10:51 AM
Bergasa is late to the Pollan party.

"Normal" soft drinks use high fructose corn syrup, which is a distant chemical derivative of American commodity corn. People are against it because its usage feeds the corrupt cycle of American agribusiness, it allows for previously sugared drinks to be made much sweeter and much more caloric for less money (which preys on the health of people with lower income), it may or may not be harder for us to metabolize than simple crystallized cane juice, it takes a lot of fossil fuel energy to produce, and it arguably does not taste as good.

While I was a little shaky on the politics of it all, I was mostly aware of the problems going on with soda. I'll be interested to try out the throwback stuff to see if it really tastes better.

Dawnswalker
01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
The other day, I saw a commercial for the corn industry on TV. I didn't think they really needed to drum up public awareness anymore, what with 90% of everything having corn in it somehow.

Falselogic
01-20-2010, 01:12 PM
So guys, throwback sodas. By popular demand, Throwback Pepsi and Mountain Dew has been brought back, and Dr. Pepper is getting in on the action with "Heritage Dr. Pepper." Dr. Pepper is my favourite soda, so I'm particularly excited about that one, but I missed out on the Pepsi and Mountain Dew last time, so I look forward to getting in on those too.

Fancy Grocery stores usually have imported sodas from Mexico that use can sugar instead of HFCS. You can even find Mexican Coca Cola at Costco!

Falselogic
01-20-2010, 01:13 PM
The other day, I saw a commercial for the corn industry on TV. I didn't think they really needed to drum up public awareness anymore, what with 90% of everything having corn in it somehow.

I've seen at least two of them one with two teenagers eating cereal and another with some mother being worried about feeding it to her kids. I've also seen one put out by Corn Refiners and Soda manufacturers scaring people into opposing the sugar taxes that some states (NY for sure) are considering

cortbassist89
01-20-2010, 01:57 PM
I prefer the Throwback soda because it doesn't leave as bad of a tangy gross fizzy aftertaste in my mouth.

I think it seems to fizz less overall.

It tastes smoother and better. Ftw.

Mightyblue
01-20-2010, 02:21 PM
I don't really care for the Pepsi version (Or "Pepsi" at all too much), but both the Dew and Dr. Pepper (Heritage instead of Throwback) are really good.

Also awesome was that my store stocked 12 packs of Cherry Crush for a few weeks while we did this massive Throwback/Heritage promotion. I even managed to snag the last 12 pack of Dr. Pepper Heritage we had!

Matchstick
01-20-2010, 06:16 PM
If they don't currently contain real sugar, what are they using? Is this a disctinction between cane sugar and corn syrup?

Specifically, high fructose corn syrup.

I've seen all of them including Heritage Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper was my drink of choice until I stopped drinking all soda a few years ago, so I wanted to try this. It seemed good, but it's been so long since I drank it regularly that I couldn't necessarily give any kind of comprehensive comparison. I would say it seemed less thick than I recall.

Lucas
01-20-2010, 11:53 PM
Oh no! The jar I picked out to empty this bag of pistachios into isn't quite big enough! I'll have to eat the excess right now! Darn.

OM NOM NOM

Bergasa
01-21-2010, 09:31 AM
I think my friends and I are going to check out this Chinese restaurant tomorrow. Their menu is conveniently online (and quite vast), so nominate a dish that I should get, and justify it: http://www.paulnyu.com/PDF/Menu.pdf

There are a lot of things I am unfamiliar with on that list.

mopinks
01-24-2010, 09:37 PM
the rest of my lollipops from Lollyphile (http://www.lollyphile.com/) came yesterday! my girlfriend bought me the sample pack with two of every flavor for Christmas, but they were all cleaned out from the holiday order rush and I had to wait for most of my order to be split up and mailed out in little chunks.

the absinthe lollipop is so strong I can't feel my tongue anymore. it's great! so far every flavor has been very nice, except for the coffee one which was so repulsive I couldn't even finish it. I don't know what went wrong there.

the maple bacon is probably the best one, but I haven't tried the lavender, irish cream, white russian or bourbon ones yet. THERE IS STILL TIME FOR AN UPSET.

nunix
01-25-2010, 09:22 PM
apples are the best fruit.

no dissent is possible on this subject.

Dizzy
01-25-2010, 09:43 PM
They certainly are. They are nature's candy. Treats from God.

Dadgum Roi
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
The guy who wrote this blog article (http://www.ncfolk.org/ncfood/cueshack.aspx) tipped me off about it, and I rode over to try this place this afternoon.

So awesome. Full of skin, the best slaw I've ever had, great potato salad.

mopinks
01-26-2010, 09:10 PM
oh my god there's a Kogi truck (http://kogibbq.com/) in Orange County now??

if it's not within range when I'm down there next week, I will explode.

Reinforcements
01-27-2010, 06:40 AM
To anyone who bemoans globalization, I counter with the fact that I just ate a pomegranate, purchased a local grocery store, and I live in Pennsylvania. It's not rare that I cook with quinoa. WIN.

shivam
01-27-2010, 11:50 AM
pomegranates are rare? my neighbor has a tree of em.

Willm
01-27-2010, 12:00 PM
The guy who wrote this blog article (http://www.ncfolk.org/ncfood/cueshack.aspx) tipped me off about it, and I rode over to try this place this afternoon.

So awesome. Full of skin, the best slaw I've ever had, great potato salad.

Man, sometimes I really wish I lived in the South. I'm sick of what the North passes off as "good barbeque!"

Red Hedgehog
01-27-2010, 12:13 PM
Ugh.

I know New York has a dearth of good Mexican food, but the reviews told me that Itzocan Cafe was passing decent. Maybe its other items are, but that was probably the worst, most bland chicken mole I've had in my life.

Dadgum Roi
01-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Man, sometimes I really wish I lived in the South. I'm sick of what the North passes off as "good barbeque!"

If you have a kettle grill and a pork shoulder with the rind on, you too can make almost authentic eastern North Carolina barbecue in just 10-12 hours!!!

rkdn42
01-27-2010, 04:06 PM
The 1 vs 100 topic at 8pm PST / 11pm EST tonight is Cooking.

Dawnswalker
01-29-2010, 08:39 PM
Today we went to the best donair place, where the Small Donair was the size of my head.

SO GOOD.

mopinks
01-30-2010, 02:17 AM
I can't believe every store in the area was out of sriracha. that's not supposed to happen!!

Daikaiju
01-30-2010, 04:37 AM
apples are the best fruit.

no dissent is possible on this subject.

My friend the Pear would like to disagree.

ajr82
01-31-2010, 10:08 PM
My friend the Pear would like to disagree.

Pears, very much like peaches, are delicious when you get one that's good, awful when you get one that isn't, and often difficult to tell which is which. Apples are the most reliable of fruits.

mopinks
02-01-2010, 01:57 PM
man, I wish I could get into apples, but I just can't. I don't dislike them, but I don't ever really want to eat an apple.

the best fruits are the unreliable ones.

Dizzy
02-01-2010, 03:02 PM
I had hot apple cider. Good stuff!

Apples rule!

mopinks
02-03-2010, 05:04 PM
oh my god there's a Kogi truck (http://kogibbq.com/) in Orange County now??

if it's not within range when I'm down there next week, I will explode.

it's going to be a few blocks away from my parents' house on Friday!!

I... I have to make this happen. this can't not happen.

ASandoval
02-06-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't think me and/or the girlfriend should ever cook again.

http://s866.photobucket.com/albums/ab229/souldreamx/Other/Random/IMGP4240.jpg

To add insult to injury: These were instant.

Also: She killed a spatula that was part of a roommate's set. So she's out 35 dollars on top of this.

ajr82
02-07-2010, 01:26 AM
Spinach is so much better than lettuce. I can't imagine a situation where I'd choose lettuce over spinach.

Chu
02-07-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm sorry, ASandoval. I laughed out loud.

As a result of my filthy living habits, I still had some pesto sauce residue in my frying pan when I made scrambled eggs this morning. But it turns out that pesto-flavored scrambled eggs are pretty good! I think I'll try making them legitimately in the future.

shivam
02-07-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm sorry, ASandoval. I laughed out loud.

seriously. i dont even know what those were supposed to be!

Azar
02-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Pancake holocaust

Kirin
02-07-2010, 12:12 PM
Honestly, even though they're never going to look great, I bet more than half of those pancakes will taste just fine when smothered in maple syrup.

teg
02-07-2010, 05:05 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y89/CX-Neo/DSCF0012-1.jpg

This is the most important resource that I will ever encounter.

mopinks
02-07-2010, 10:08 PM
on my traditional pilgrimage to the Japanese grocery store near my ancestral home, I found these beauties:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/kitkatgingerale.jpg
they are delicious and Japan needs to stop hogging all the crazy KitKat flavors right now.

Dawnswalker
02-07-2010, 10:22 PM
Pancake horror!

Well... as long as there are a few that actually cooked all the way through, you might be able to salvage them. Pancakes are a pretty forgiving food.

ASandoval
02-08-2010, 07:42 AM
Oh yeah, they were fine thankfully. I'm never going to be known for my presentation, though. Case in point: I make a mean grilled cheese, but don't expect the bread to be even.

Dadgum Roi
02-08-2010, 07:54 AM
Trying to do barbecue over real hardwood instead of charcoal for the first time. Wish me luck!

Pajaro Pete
02-08-2010, 01:39 PM
If you fail, you'll have to keep doing it until you get it right. That, or become a yankee.

Dadgum Roi
02-08-2010, 03:04 PM
If you fail, you'll have to keep doing it until you get it right. That, or become a yankee.

Then mine is but to do or die.

It turned out really well! I didn't have nearly enough wood though, so I had to finish over charcoal. I'm going to get a load of wood next. Also, a better burn barrel, as the shitty trashcan I used burned the grass underneath it.

Dizzy
02-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Hot apple cider is sour green apple cider in disguise. I'm loving it.

WE DON'T HAVE A DESSERT THREAD?

(plz no one start a thread called 'The Dessert Thread.')

ajr82
02-09-2010, 07:05 AM
The best lunch idea I've ever had: Sriracha chicken salad!

Ethan
02-09-2010, 06:11 PM
As per Bittman, I just sizzled about 15 fresh sage leaves in about 3 tablespoons of butter in a skillet until the butter browned a little bit, and then tossed it with bucatini pasta and added shaved pecorino romano. Off the hook. I probably should have let the butter brown a little bit more than I did, but this is pretty much a no-fail recipe. That much butter will make anything sing.

Actually, the recipe called for parmesan, but a life with pecorino is the good life.

Grignr
02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
I am eating Thin Mints right this very minute!

mopinks
02-11-2010, 03:21 PM
whoaaaa they just opened a tapas place in downtown Modesto! I think I know where we're going for Valentine's Daaaaay!

Dadgum Roi
02-11-2010, 08:23 PM
I post a lot on Chowhound and...

the NY deli fans are back on the South board and in tears as usual.

ENGAGE SCHADENFREUDE BEAM

Red Hedgehog
02-13-2010, 12:19 AM
I post a lot on Chowhound and...

the NY deli fans are back on the South board and in tears as usual.

ENGAGE SCHADENFREUDE BEAM

I am way too intimidated to post on Chowhound. I love reading it, though.

And hey, there are actually a couple good barbecue places in NY!

Dadgum Roi
02-13-2010, 05:41 AM
I am way too intimidated to post on Chowhound.

Why? Most of the people on there are ignorant,venal, and lemming like. I have a handful of people that I pay attention to on the South board*, and maybe a couple on the home cooking and general discussion boards.

*The ones who are actually willing to go try new places and report on them.

Red Hedgehog
02-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Why? Most of the people on there are ignorant,venal, and lemming like. I have a handful of people that I pay attention to on the South board*, and maybe a couple on the home cooking and general discussion boards.

*The ones who are actually willing to go try new places and report on them.

On the NYC Chowhound boards, there are constant flamewars about whether the classic NY places are still worth going to (Katz's, Yonah Schimmel's, Peter Lueger's, etc.) New places tend to have pretty good discussions because people don't have the "It used to be so much better" arguments.

Dadgum Roi
02-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Yeah, I have seen some knockdown dragouts over Babbo and some pizza place whose name I wish not to recall on the NYC boards. The South board equivalent is northern transplants bitching about how they can't find good pizza, bagels, deli, etc. in the South.

Grignr
02-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Not only do Publix bag-persons suck terribly at packing the GreenBags, they look up at you for praise after they load one sack with a gallon of milk, a bag of potatoes, and several jars of sauce, leaving other bags completely unused.

At least I got my 3 lb Hershey's chocolate heart for $11 today.

Marfy
02-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Not only do Publix bag-persons suck terribly at packing the GreenBags, they look up at you for praise after they load one sack with a gallon of milk, a bag of potatoes, and several jars of sauce, leaving other bags completely unused.

At least I got my 3 lb Hershey's chocolate heart for $11 today.

Do it yourself or complain to management. No one does shit at Publix without being told by a manager. Getting grumpy about it on the internet won't fix your problem.

Grignr
02-15-2010, 08:52 AM
Do it yourself or complain to management. No one does shit at Publix without being told by a manager. Getting grumpy about it on the internet won't fix your problem.

The employees are obviously in need of training, and the way Publix keeps putting the bags on sale made me hope that corporate would have pushed a training requirement by now. But yeah, I figured I needed to talk to the manager or write them a letter. I'm not ONLY going to be grumpy on the internet.

Marfy
02-15-2010, 08:57 AM
The employees are obviously in need of training, and the way Publix keeps putting the bags on sale made me hope that corporate would have pushed a training requirement by now. But yeah, I figured I needed to talk to the manager or write them a letter. I'm not ONLY going to be grumpy on the internet.

There is no need to clog up this thread with The Ways in Which Publix is a Poorly Functioning Company, but 1) there is a training course for green bags, but it's quite pointless and 2) very few cashiers and baggers go through ALL of the training programs that they're supposed to, because managers are lazy, it takes away from productive hours on the front end and so much of the stuff is common sense. And even IF the employee (excuse me associate) has been put through every single bit of training, the only way someone is going to get in trouble for bagging like a dipshit is through customer complaints. Repeated ones.

mopinks
02-15-2010, 07:56 PM
we went out for a romantic (expensive) Italian dinner last night, and it wasn't very good! but the little slabs of fresh mozzarella they mixed in with my gnocchi were the most amazing mozzarellas I have ever eaten.

also I ate an oyster for the first time, and darn near gagged it up onto the table. but I said NO, GAG REFLEX, YOU WILL NOT CONTROL ME, and choked that little bastard back down. textures, man.

Nobuyuki
02-16-2010, 04:02 PM
I'm just not that crazy about salmon.

Pajaro Pete
02-16-2010, 09:30 PM
also I ate an oyster for the first time, and darn near gagged it up onto the table. but I said NO, GAG REFLEX, YOU WILL NOT CONTROL ME, and choked that little bastard back down. textures, man.

It's basically like eating a Ditto.

Falselogic
02-16-2010, 09:48 PM
I'm just not that crazy about salmon.

Have you consider that you are doing it wrong?

Nobuyuki
02-16-2010, 10:57 PM

I dare not try making it myself, but when I see it in restaurants I always feel compelled to try it. I've had salmon many ways in a wide variety of dishes and every time I regret it. Smoked salmon pizza may be amongst the worst things I've ever eaten.

BodhiTraveller
02-16-2010, 11:44 PM
So this weekend was all about cooking good eats for Lunar New Year! I now have a fridge full of dumplings and the most blundered year cake ever. Lacking the wok my roomies and I had borrowed in the past I attempted to fashion a steamer by extending a pan with aluminum foil.

...over an hour later and my year cake has a terrifying boil on one side. This is a bad omen of things to come.

dwolfe
02-17-2010, 11:04 AM

Easy way to do Salmon right:

Get a nice salmon fillet/steak.

Place on large aluminium foil sheet. Put honey, garlic, and soy sauce on top.

Seal the foil pouch so salmon won't dry out, and place on pan in case of leaks (note: if it leaks, you did it wrong)

Bake at 350 until done ('overbaking' can't happen as long as it's sealed). you can let it go an hour easily.

Eat, delicious.

shivam
02-17-2010, 11:55 AM
yesterday, SDMX brought over pizza from the Cheeseboard in berkeley. It was crimini mushroom with arugula and lemon vinagarette. HOLY SHIT. it was so good.

Dizzy
02-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Salsitas chips are like noxious Doritos.

Ethan
02-17-2010, 01:35 PM
yesterday, SDMX brought over pizza from the Cheeseboard in berkeley. It was crimini mushroom with arugula and lemon vinagarette. HOLY SHIT. it was so good.

I leave town, and an awesome pizza-related thing happens literally minutes later. The great midwestern malaise is a terrible thing.

ringworm
02-17-2010, 01:45 PM
I leave town, and an awesome pizza-related thing happens literally minutes later. The great midwestern malaise is a terrible thing.
But...you live in Chicago. You should never have pizza envy.

Ethan
02-17-2010, 01:47 PM
I guess that's true.

Replace "pizza-related" with "Alice Waters gourmet cheese co-op-related" and it will be clearer.

TheSL
02-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Chicago-style pizza is delicious, but its almost a completely different type of food as far as I'm concerned.

Ethan
02-17-2010, 02:09 PM
It is, and my life is rich with the very best examples of the breed, but crimini mushroom with arugula and lemon vinagarette could only happen in Northern California.

mopinks
02-18-2010, 09:11 PM
did you know that Trader Joe's sells little tubs of dark-chocolate-covered edamame? I did not know this before tonight!

I want to pour the entire little tub down my throat.

Daikaiju
02-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Is there nothing Man will not douse in cocoa?

redstuff
02-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I've (mostly) given up the idea of cooking at home most of the time because eating out here is so cheap and it usually comes to be around the same price as eating in. Plus I'm lazy.

R.R. Bigman
02-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Oh man, we got some food at a new Mexican restaurant tonight and it was sooo good! There was this melted cheese on my chimichanga and oaaowregergmie.

Queen Possum
03-02-2010, 06:20 PM
did you know that Trader Joe's sells little tubs of dark-chocolate-covered edamame? I did not know this before tonight!

I want to pour the entire little tub down my throat.

I wish they would make some milk chocolate ones. Dark chocolate is not a fave.

Speaking of Trader Joe's, I'm having one of their freezer aisle creme brulee right now. Notwithstanding the fact that there is no actual brulee to crack, it is not half bad. I've paid 8 bucks for creme brulee in a restaurant that wasn't nearly as good as this, and they're 4 for 4.99.

DemoWeasel
03-02-2010, 06:46 PM
That Korean BBQ truck mopinks was all excited about is stopping at my school next week and is giving away free tacos.

I am going to eat some food!

mopinks
03-03-2010, 05:51 PM
That Korean BBQ truck mopinks was all excited about is stopping at my school next week and is giving away free tacos.

I am going to eat some food!

oh man, I bet you are going to have to wait in an insane line. I had to wait forever for not-free tacos! (THEY WERE GREAT)

BROCCOLI STORY: I don't know why, but I always have to rip the leaves off the broccoli before I cook it. I mean, I know I can eat the leaves, and I like to eat the leaves, but I see them sticking off the broccoli and I just have to rip the bastards off. I have broccoli OCD.

DemoWeasel
03-03-2010, 06:23 PM
oh man, I bet you are going to have to wait in an insane line. I had to wait forever for not-free tacos! (THEY WERE GREAT)

Or maybe not! My school only has 400-some students and classes are scheduled all over the place.

estragon
03-03-2010, 10:38 PM
A disgusting part of me wishes we had a "what is the best toast" thread, although it probably isn't sustainable.

On the other hand, I really like toast.

redstuff
03-03-2010, 11:10 PM
We actually have had it (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=7276)

estragon
03-03-2010, 11:58 PM
We actually have had it (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=7276)

Huh. I remember that.

Let's start a self righteous internet petition for the mods to move it into this forum.

DemoWeasel
03-10-2010, 12:17 AM
It seems like I'm going to have to miss free Kogi tacos because OCTA is a horrible monster that hates free food and fun times.

Tanto
03-11-2010, 05:27 PM
I think whipped cream may be mankind's greatest achievment.

Sheana
03-11-2010, 07:19 PM
I made myself a delicious Sloppy Joe sandwich tonight. I was amused, 'cos I remembered how surprised I was back in the day to find out that traditional Sloppy Joes are made with tomato sauce or ketchup. My family's always made it with brown gravy mix instead, and that's what I grew up with.

dwolfe
03-11-2010, 09:04 PM
I found a Chinese buffet with actual, real dead-fish sushi! It's actually not bad sushi for not being on the coasts, and I had tons of eel, salmon, tuna, and shrimp. I am so happy!!!

Marfy
03-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Czech Roommate made kolaches tonight. The roll is a slightly sweet bread, and the filling on the one that I had was some type of cheese. She described it as like cottage cheese but slightly different, and it kind of tasted like cream cheese. It complemented the bread perfectly. I can’t wait to try one of the ones with jam!

Patrick
03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
The girl I've been seeing recently is making me a quiche tonight. I've heard that she's really good at cooling, and I'm excited to find out if it's true.

Also, Broccoli covered in cheeses!

Nobuyuki
03-15-2010, 05:18 PM
I love vanilla soymilk.

Destil
03-20-2010, 05:11 PM
These guys (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tucson-AZ/BBQ-4-U/254836031502) make the best damn BBQ steak sandwiches I've ever had. I should have sprung for a steak to take home, but I didn't know it was going to be that fantastic while in line and didn't really want to wait another 15 min to go back through after.

Marfy
03-26-2010, 06:50 AM
I'm trying to make more interesting and filling salads. My standard salad of iceberg lettuce, celery, cucumbers, sugar snap peas, sunflower seeds and light Italian dressing is delicious, refreshing and most importantly, crunchy but jesus christ I am tired of it.

So I picked up a bag of watercress, spinach and arugula salad mix. Even just mixing it with ol' standard Italian dressing is like a whole new world! Yesterday I cooked some falafels, crumbled them up and mixed them in with the salad along wit some olive oil and salt. A bigger serving of this definitely could have worked for a lunch. Today I candied some walnuts and pecans, and served it again with olive oil. I wish I'd candied the nuts with maple syrup, it would have added a little more flavor.

I figure I should get some balsamic vinegar for even more exciting dressing possibilities but so far this mission has been a Success.

Queen Possum
03-30-2010, 05:31 PM
I think I'm addicted to Urban Spoon.

That's not a bad thing, is it?

John
03-31-2010, 08:56 AM
I think this is fantastic. (http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/dining/articles/2010/03/30/20100330caffe-boa-easter-menu-outcry.html)

Seriously, if I was dating someone right now this would be a great date night. I've never had rabbit, but am always into trying new dishes. That, and I don't have the hangup that some have regarding which animals are the "right" ones to kill and eat, just because we collectively agree on them. If they're tasty, serve them up.

taosterman
03-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Seriously, if I was dating someone right now this would be a great date night. I've never had rabbit, but am always into trying new dishes. That, and I don't have the hangup that some have regarding which animals are the "right" ones to kill and eat, just because we collectively agree on them. If they're tasty, serve them up.

I'm not getting the "good-natured and funny and loving"; a friend of mine in junior high had several rabbits as pets, and they were the most standoffish, affection-resistant pets I'd ever seen outside of guinea pigs. Which doesn't necessarily mean "Well, cut 'em up and fry 'em!", but I'm not part of the fan club.

Sheana
04-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I wonder what Patton Oswalt thinks of this thing. (http://gizmodo.com/5508246/dear-god-kfcs-chicken+as+bread-sandwich-is-coming)

cortbassist89
04-02-2010, 03:10 PM
That looks utterly delicious.

Alixsar
04-02-2010, 08:09 PM
I wonder what Patton Oswalt thinks of this thing. (http://gizmodo.com/5508246/dear-god-kfcs-chicken+as+bread-sandwich-is-coming)

Jesus Christ! Je...JESUS CHRIST OMG WHYYYY

Destil
04-03-2010, 12:11 AM

Eh, they could at least go through the trouble of deep-frying the whole thing in chocolate for me. I'll still have to do that myself.

benjibot
04-04-2010, 12:17 PM
I went to a Thai restaurant late last night. They had Thai Lays potato chips!

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae350/benjibot1/a5e5d804.jpg

Nori Seaweed and Sweet Basil!

Balrog
04-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Sweet Basil is a great exclamation!

Matchstick
04-04-2010, 08:09 PM
I'd love to try those sweet basil chips. I'd love to try them even more if they were holy basil flavored.

Dawnswalker
04-04-2010, 11:48 PM

Did that come out of the Tracy Jordan Meat Machine?

Kirin
04-05-2010, 07:31 AM
Sweet basil chips sound amazing. Though I'm wondering why the picture looks like hot peppers. Also, I"m having trouble comprehending exactly what nori chips would taste like. I mean, I've eaten nori, but I can't quite picture it...

Ghost from Spelunker
04-05-2010, 06:46 PM
You know how you can pour a little brandy on a cake, light a match and watch it burn? What other liquors/foods can I set my cake on fire with?

benjibot
04-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Sweet basil chips sound amazing. Though I'm wondering why the picture looks like hot peppers. Also, I"m having trouble comprehending exactly what nori chips would taste like. I mean, I've eaten nori, but I can't quite picture it...

I haven't yet tried them. I'm not sure why, maybe I'm saving them? The sweet basil does indeed seem to have thai peppers on the bag, but the ingredients are vague and not at all helpful.

They had a few more flavors, one of which appeared to have steak on the bag I think.

ajr82
04-06-2010, 08:57 AM
You know how you can pour a little brandy on a cake, light a match and watch it burn? What other liquors/foods can I set my cake on fire with?

I'm pretty sure Sambuca is pretty flammable.

Posaune
04-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Man, I haven't had Sambuca in forever.

DemoWeasel
04-06-2010, 03:46 PM
I ate a cheeseburger today =(

Alixsar
04-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Teddy Grahams are still amazing

SlimJimm
04-06-2010, 06:32 PM
So Nutella? Yeah, its good!

nunix
04-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Anime-brand mammoth meat (http://inventorspot.com/articles/eat_tv_caveman_mail_order_mammoth_meat_34970).

http://f00.inventorspot.com/images/ga-photo1023banner.img_assist_custom.jpg

Sven
04-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Going to try the new high-end burger place near my apartment today, since it's not quite BBQ season (I have to drive over to my mom's to use one anyway, since I don't have a balcony) and walking to Craft is too much to bother at the end of a work day.

It'd be so much better if we just had a Harvey's in the neighbourhood, but the closest one is at Union.

Kirin
04-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Anime-brand mammoth meat (http://inventorspot.com/articles/eat_tv_caveman_mail_order_mammoth_meat_34970)

If you think about it (too much), there's something weirdly macabre about beef lovingly wrapped around a pork rib.

In other food news, in the last few days I've eaten at both Baba Ganoush and Med Deli, two local places with delicious Mediterranean/greek/turking/etc food. So tasty. Have you guys ever had muhammara? It's this pomegranate/pepper/nuts dip and is delicious.

benjibot
04-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Have you guys ever had muhammara? It's this pomegranate/pepper/nuts dip and is delicious.

I want to go to there.

benjibot
04-11-2010, 12:22 AM
Update: Sweet Basil chips are fucking awesome! They're a tad spicy. More of a a slight aftertaste burn. The nori flavored ones were pretty dull. They obviously had big chunks of seaweed on them, but didn't taste like much of anything in particular.

TheSL
04-11-2010, 05:23 PM
So despite all common sense against it, that KFC Double Down sandwich (the one with the two chicken patties instead of buns) made it into at least my local market, if not the entire nation. I don't know whether this is sad or hilarious.

Sven
04-11-2010, 05:44 PM
I've been meaning to try a homemade version of that. I figure I could cut it down to, oh, 35-40 grams of fat.

teekun
04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
The funny thing about that sandwich is that if you put two pieces of bread on either side of it, it would be even more unhealthy for you, but people probably wouldn't be talking about it so much.

TheSL
04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
I've been meaning to try a homemade version of that. I figure I could cut it down to, oh, 35-40 grams of fat.

They already did-

KFC Original Recipe® Double Down
Calories:540
Fat(g): 32
Sodium(mg):1380

KFC Grilled Double Down
Calories:460
Fat(g): 23
Sodium(mg):1430

Sodium content seems a little outrageous, though.

Knight
04-12-2010, 11:34 AM
So despite all common sense against it, that KFC Double Down sandwich (the one with the two chicken patties instead of buns) made it into at least my local market, if not the entire nation. I don't know whether this is sad or hilarious.
Have you tried it? I think I'm going to, but I want to know what the "Colonel's Sauce" on it is before I try it.

TheSL
04-12-2010, 11:40 AM
It kinda looks like (http://www.kfc.com/doubledown/) some kind of mayo concoction (http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/12/on-ingesting-kfcs-new-product-the-double-down/), so I'd get it without it personally. I'm probably going to buy one just out of curiosity tomorrow.

Knight
04-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Mayo, eh? I'm ordering it without it then, but if it's not busy there I might ask for it on the side so I can try a little bit of it with a bite. Probably gonna try it on Friday since I have the day off and I won't have to rush to make it to KFC and back on my lunch break.

Sven
04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
They already did-

KFC Original Recipe® Double Down
Calories:540
Fat(g): 32
Sodium(mg):1380

KFC Grilled Double Down
Calories:460
Fat(g): 23
Sodium(mg):1430

Sodium content seems a little outrageous, though.

KFC's numbers are notoriously wonky, thoguh. That, or these are much smaller than the pictures make them seem (let's put it this way: that's much less fat than a footlong cold cut combo from Subway without cheese, and while the meat in a CCC is fatty, it's not THAT fatty.)

Calorie Mate
04-12-2010, 01:43 PM
So I had some Mike and Ikes right after a peanut butter sandwhich the other day, and now I'm wondering if they're ever made, like, a chewy, gelatin-y peanut butter candy before. Because they totally should.

cortbassist89
04-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Eating Cheezits after eating some tuna crackers is not the best of combinations, folks.

Knight
04-12-2010, 03:45 PM
So I'm gonna make some burgers on my George Foreman grill tonight, but it's been so long since I last made them that I forgot what I used to season them with. So, what do you guys use? They're just plain frozen meat patties, and I'll probably only be putting cheese on them.

cortbassist89
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
GARLIC SALT
GARLIC SALT
GARLIC SALT

I find a way to work garlic into everything I make...
...EVEN COOKIES.

I also use seasoning salt? I think it's called that. I don't cook much (as in, not for, oh, two years now).

nunix
04-12-2010, 04:00 PM
If you're going to season the meat, the time to do that is when you make it.. and since it's storebought, there's not much you can really do for it, unless you shake on some kinda also-storebought seasoning or spices. Dill and garlic could work.

mopinks
04-12-2010, 07:11 PM
if you live near San Francisco and haven't done so yet I demand that you drop what you are doing right now and go to DYNAMO DONUTS (http://www.dynamodonut.com/)

well uh, not right now, they're closed on Mondays and even if they weren't all the donuts would be gone by now

GO THERE TOMORROW MORNING

TheSL
04-12-2010, 08:35 PM
KFC Double Down - Once the novelty of eating a sandwich without a bun wears off you realize that the whole thing is kind of silly and you just got your hands all greasy since there wasn't anything to buffer your fingers once you get to the second half of the sandwich. For added fat-assedness try dipping the sandwich in mashed potatoes and gravy!

Reinforcements
04-14-2010, 05:40 AM
Guys I made ceviche last night for the first time and it was really good! Ceviche is seriously like the easiest thing to make you should try it. Also I made guacamole and combined them with tortillas to form the healthiest tacos ever.

dwolfe
04-14-2010, 06:35 AM
KFC Double Down - Once the novelty of eating a sandwich without a bun wears off you realize that the whole thing is kind of silly and you just got your hands all greasy since there wasn't anything to buffer your fingers once you get to the second half of the sandwich. For added fat-assedness try dipping the sandwich in mashed potatoes and gravy!

Doesn't it come in a waxed paper wrapper like all other fast-food sandwiches? Why would you take it out of the wrapper, which so usefully catches crumbs?

You should totally try dipping it in bleu cheese dressing, maybe ranch!

TheSL
04-14-2010, 06:46 AM
That's why I mentioned "once you get to the second half of the sandwich." The thing isn't shaped like a regular sandwich (its just two boneless chicken breasts) so its rather oblong in shape and unwieldy.

Kirin
04-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Also I made guacamole and combined them with tortillas to form the healthiest tacos ever.

I love me some home-made guacamole, but I'm not convincing myself it's all that healthy. Ok, probably healthier than a taco full of mostly cheese and sour cream, which is what I do otherwise...

Reinforcements
04-14-2010, 07:32 AM
I love me some home-made guacamole, but I'm not convincing myself it's all that healthy. Ok, probably healthier than a taco full of mostly cheese and sour cream, which is what I do otherwise...
Avocados are full of fat, sure, but it's GOOD fat - as good as olive oil. They're also full of fiber, vitamin c and k, and potassium.

Sven
04-14-2010, 08:02 AM
For added fat-assedness try dipping the sandwich in mashed potatoes and gravy!

I used KFC's potato salad as a condiment for a while, so that isn't TOO weird.

Nodal
04-19-2010, 10:05 AM
I just had a Double Down. It was OK. It didn't seem nearly as unreasonable in person as it did on paper, but I don't think I'd have another.

Queen Possum
04-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know what kind of prepackaged salad mix lasts longest? I've always had trouble eating an entire container before it gets wilty and decomposed, but I noticed this last mix, the baby spinach stayed fresher for longer than the fancy lettuce that was mixed in with it.

Patrick
04-22-2010, 02:12 PM
A friend of mine got on The Huffington Post for making a vegetarian Double Down (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22/chicagos-dj-intel-and-blo_n_547983.html).

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/159783/thumbs/s-DOUBLE-DOWN-large.jpg

Sven
04-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Does anyone know what kind of prepackaged salad mix lasts longest? I've always had trouble eating an entire container before it gets wilty and decomposed, but I noticed this last mix, the baby spinach stayed fresher for longer than the fancy lettuce that was mixed in with it.

I only buy spinach, but that tends to hold up better than lettuce, at least in my fridge.

shivam
04-23-2010, 12:12 AM

there's no way to tell in aggregate--it's pretty much a bag by bag test every time.

Dizzy
04-23-2010, 06:52 AM
A friend of mine got on The Huffington Post for making a vegetarian Double Down (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/22/chicagos-dj-intel-and-blo_n_547983.html).

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/159783/thumbs/s-DOUBLE-DOWN-large.jpg

Fookin' 'ell, mate, wha the fook is that? Looks like me arse.

Kirin
04-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Dizzy's crazy, that veggie double-down looks way tastier to me than the KFC version. (Granted, I'm not a big fan of fried chicken in the first place.) I'm actually kind of tempted to try making it.

Ethan
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I ate a massive vegetarian Indian/Pakistani meal last night at a place in Chicago called Uru-Swati. It was pretty stupendous.

Dizzy
04-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Uru-Swati

Hm, noted next time I go there for festivities.

ajr82
04-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Spinach does tend to stay good longer than lettuce, it's true (it's also way tastier than lettuce).

What you should do with pre-packed greens, if you're getting them in a bag, is get some kind of sealable tub. Line the tub with paper towel, put the greens in, and then put a paper towel over top of them and seal it. I've had spinach last beyond three weeks by doing it this way.

Also, for celery or peppers, wrap them in aluminum foil to keep them fresh.

Pajaro Pete
04-23-2010, 11:39 PM
I wish we had a "Gripe about what you just ate thread" because I ate some really gross pasta thing my brother made that had so much soy sauce (and given the taste, he probably added salt in addition to the soy sauce) in it that I feel sick.

Chu
04-24-2010, 03:07 AM
I left the popcorn in the microwave for too long and it burned. Now my apartment smells of burnt popcorn and it stinks!

Sheana
04-24-2010, 03:26 AM

How about just the lettuce itself? 'Round here there's this great company that makes butter lettuce and sells them whole, roots & dirt & all, in a plastic box. Leaving the roots on like that keeps it alive, and it lasts much, much longer than normal lettuce before it starts wilting or getting odd coloring.

SlimJimm
04-24-2010, 10:05 AM
So I went out last night and got 3 lbs cinnamon roll with a friend from Lulu's cafe after he saw it on Man vs Food. That sucker is pretty big, it made it a little dry, but the extra icing they put on it helped.

dwolfe
04-24-2010, 04:13 PM
Spinach does tend to stay good longer than lettuce, it's true (it's also way tastier than lettuce).

What you should do with pre-packed greens, if you're getting them in a bag, is get some kind of sealable tub. Line the tub with paper towel, put the greens in, and then put a paper towel over top of them and seal it. I've had spinach last beyond three weeks by doing it this way.

Also, for celery or peppers, wrap them in aluminum foil to keep them fresh.

A container with paper towels works fine for peppers, celery, or anything. Even berries.

The key to preserving berries and veggies (especially once washed and cut up) is to carefully pat all the water off of them, then put them in a sealed bag/container with more DRY paper towels. I've had cut up pepper last a couple weeks with this trick, and I tried it side-by-side with berries. The berries in original packaging went bad within 3 days, the ones stored with paper towels carefully lasted 10 days.

nunix
04-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Oranges? It turns out, oranges are pretty tasty.

Mightyblue
04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Some canned chicken + a bit of Tamari + Cinnamon bunny crackers on the side = not bad midnight snack.

Pajaro Pete
04-26-2010, 09:30 PM
Is it weird that I eat dill pickle chips the same way I'd eat potato chips?

MCBanjoMike
04-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Oh man, tonight there will be delicious Indian food. This is gonna be so great.

SwiftTheRedFox
04-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Is it weird that I eat dill pickle chips the same way I'd eat potato chips?

Not if they're fried. That's how I eat them.

ajr82
04-27-2010, 07:29 PM
Sesame oil, you are so tasty on vegetables with a little soy sauce and garlic.

Daikaiju
04-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Really, really, reeeeally rare coffee (http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/drinks/d60c/)

cortbassist89
04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
I just ate a grilled sharp cheddar cheese, smoked turkey, and bologna sandwich.

It was surprisingly tasty.

Mightyblue
04-28-2010, 05:30 PM
Tonight for dinner I made italian seasoned grilled chicken + cavatippi pasta + basic Prego sauce and a ton of extra seasonings I tossed in (turned out really sweet but good) + green beans on the sides. I overcooked the chicken some (hard and crusty on the outside while juicy on the inside), but it overall was pretty damn tasty. Made waaaaay too much pasta though.

Ethan
04-28-2010, 05:48 PM
Plain yogurt, sliced strawberries, sliced and toasted almonds, honey, and a sprinkling of sugar.

nunix
04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
what the fuck should i make for dinner (http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/)

Wolfgang
04-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Where would this go? Here? I guess?

These got'damn wasabi and soy sauce almonds (http://store.bluediamond.com/Wasabi-amp-Soy-Sauce-Almonds_p_30.html) are the best fucking thing. I've been downing them like a maniac and got the girlfriend hooked on them, too. Walgreens has them on sale this week, five bucks for a one pound bag.

Sven
04-29-2010, 04:50 PM
Good lord, leave it to the Brits to find a way to screw up Iron Chef.

Iron Chef UK isn't Iron Chef UPN bad, but it's really bad.

Kirin
04-30-2010, 08:29 AM
what the fuck should i make for dinner (http://whatthefuckshouldimakefordinner.com/)

Apparently I should fucking make some "WARNING: INCLUDE(HTTP://WWW.WHATTHEFUCKSHOULDIMAKEFORDINNER.COM/HEADER.PHP) [FUNCTION.INCLUDE]: FAILED TO OPEN STREAM: HTTP REQUEST FAILED! HTTP/1.1 500 INTERNAL SERVER ERROR IN /HOME6/ANONCOLL/PUBLIC_HTML/WHATTHEFUCKSHOULDIMAKEFORDINNER/INDEX.PHP ON LINE 21"

I think I'll stick with pizza.

Marfy
04-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Good lord, leave it to the Brits to find a way to screw up Iron Chef.

Iron Chef UK isn't Iron Chef UPN bad, but it's really bad.

Channel 4 was showing a marathon of it here yesterday. It's like they were going out of their way to be obnoxiously, stereotypically British, at least with the blonde commentator guy.

Sven
04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Channel 4 was showing a marathon of it here yesterday. It's like they were going out of their way to be obnoxiously, stereotypically British, at least with the blonde commentator guy.

Yeah. I actually liked the idea of splitting the commentators up again - the "Doc Hattori" equivalent was by far the best part of the show - but the PBP guy was just so freaking annoying that it defied description. It wasn't just the britishness, it was also... I dunno, he just was horrible. Everyone who bitches that AB and Kevin are too cutesy with their commentary on the American show need to sit down and be subjected to this show on a loop until they tear their ears out.

Also, WHY THE HELL DID THEY SCREW WITH THE FORMAT!?! A team of semi-qualified chefs making a dish each against the Iron Chef making four? Never mind that four dishes in an hour in and of itself is cowardly, but... it's Iron Chef! Everyone knows how it works!

I figure this is what happened during the first couple months of the Japanese show when they were doing those qualification rounds to see who'd get to challenge.

For a country (and channel) that puts out the best food television in the world, this was a shocking, appalling, miss.

Kirin
05-02-2010, 12:14 PM
My vegetarian wife is out of the country. Does this mean I'm going to make something with meat for dinner?

No, it means I'm going to make something with a brand/flavor of vegetarian fake sausage that she doesn't like. Because it's really tasty.

Ethan
05-03-2010, 10:17 AM
I'm looking up pictures of Singaporean street food.

Why do I torture myself?

nunix
05-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd like to try a spleen sandwich (http://www.theatlantic.com/food/archive/2010/05/spleen-sandwiches-an-italian-tradition/39761/).

Ethan
05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh, sweet Chinese sausage, so bad but so good.

Ethan
05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
http://www.salumicuredmeats.com/products/guanciale028.jpg

Speechless.

nunix
05-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Would you like some meat with your fat?

Ethan
05-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Oh, that's nothing. Guanciale is a much leaner cut than lardo (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/archive/f/fa/20080214224334!Lardo_di_Colonnata.JPG).

Incidentally, these meats are used commonly in central and northern Italy, where people are not nearly as fat as Americans.

Kirin
05-06-2010, 07:14 AM
nunix posted exactly what I was going to.

I don't object to these things on the grounds that they'll *make* you fat (in moderation, anyway), but on the grounds that I cannot imagine wanting to put them in my mouth.

Sven
05-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Geez, the fat's the best part of cured meat.

nunix
05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
Incidentally, these meats are used commonly in central and northern Italy, where people are not nearly as fat as Americans.

At this point, obesity in general is not a result of eating actual fatty foods so much as the amount of processed food eaten, and particularly the amount of sugars in said processed foods.

Unless, you know, you're Paula Deen and fry your butter in some butter when you butter your butter. That's pretty bad. But everyone else is just sugary processed foods.

Also what Kirin said re: taste and texture. Fat is gross to chew on. =/

taosterman
05-06-2010, 09:17 AM
Oh shit, I do believe I have successfully made bread for the first time.

::cue Metroid "new ability" fanfare::

Ethan
05-06-2010, 09:38 AM
If fat is chewy, it's not cooked properly. The fat in guanciale is not like the fat at the edge of your steak.

Sven
05-06-2010, 12:10 PM
If fat is chewy, it's not cooked properly. The fat in guanciale is not like the fat at the edge of your steak.

Truth. Largely because it's not tecnically cooked to begin with.

Grignr
05-09-2010, 06:06 AM
I ate a Scotch egg yesterday (technically, about 1/3 of one, since I was sharing).

It was good.

Falselogic
05-09-2010, 01:03 PM
Making pretzels today. They're fun because I get to use my mad play-do snake making skills I sunk so many XP points into in kindergarten and early grade school!

ajr82
05-10-2010, 02:07 PM
Chocolate-flavoured foods that have no actual chocolate in them are so terrible.

Sven
05-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Chocolate-flavoured foods that have no actual chocolate in them are so terrible.

Counterpoint: Pop Tarts.

(there's no way there's real chocolate in those)

ajr82
05-10-2010, 02:44 PM
Counterpoint: Pop Tarts.

(there's no way there's real chocolate in those)

Ew, no. The only decent Pop Tart flavours are strawberry, blueberry and raspberry.

Matchstick
05-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Ew, no. The only decent Pop Tart flavours are brown sugar and cinnamon and blueberry.

Falselogic
05-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Ew, no. The only decent Pop Tart flavor is strawberry with frosting[/B]

now it is fixed.

and if anyone mentions those stupid toaster strudels they're dead!

Balrog
05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
The best Pop Tart flavors are cherry, chocolate and apple strudel.

taosterman
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
I don't mean to keep derailing these food threads with Smitten Kitchen recipes, but I've been obsessed with the site lately. Anyway, HOMEMADE POP TARTS (http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/04/homemade-pop-tarts/).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3124/4557819899_0939d40aec.jpg

shivam
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
what is it about cantaloups and honeydews that makes water taste really disgusting if you drink after eating them?

Sven
05-11-2010, 12:50 PM
now it is fixed.

and if anyone mentions those stupid toaster strudels they're dead!

... but... but... THEY COME WITH ICING.

Sheana
05-11-2010, 06:02 PM
In a stroke of genius, today I decided to use the big pile of leftover Easter marshmallow Peeps rabbits that nobody was eating and make Rice Krispies Treats.

They have a puke-green tint and are a little overly sweet from the sugar crystals, but not bad!

Chu
05-14-2010, 04:04 AM
Mikan yogurt is the best yogurt, and today it was on sale!

Sven
05-14-2010, 07:37 AM
Has anyone seen one of those silicon baking mats at a reasonable price online? I'm annoyed at having to keep paying through the nose for parchment paper.

nunix
05-16-2010, 07:46 AM
I never liked all the barley tea in Japan but, in an effort to further wean myself from HFCS, have switched to drinking a lot of it. It's.. still not great on its own, but it goes amasingly well with food (anything bread- or meat-y in particular).

Kylie
05-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Sur La Table has silpats for around $15 I think, which makes that the only reasonably-priced item Sur La Table offers. Well worth it, if you bake with any kind of frequency.

ajr82
05-16-2010, 08:48 PM
what is it about cantaloups...that...taste really disgusting?

Because they just do.

Sheana
05-16-2010, 09:31 PM
I've had the occasional really nice one, but yeah, cantelope tends to be very meh and even icky to me. It's all about the watermelon and honeydew.

mr_bungle700
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
I love cantaloupe. Like, romantically.

So here's a question: how widespread are red hot dogs? I ask because I was watching the Maine episode of No Reservations and Tony Bourdain seemed genuinely surprised to be presented with one. Considering the fact that he grew up in New York, which isn't that far away from here, and has eaten all over the world, I'm kind of baffled that he never had the chance to experience their robust succulence before that moment.

Are they just a New England thing (minus New York, apparently) or what?

EDIT: I just answered my own question! They're actually unique to Maine! Oh my, non-vegetarian Talking Time, you have no idea what you're missing. They are so good. With a little ketchup and sauteed onions as garnish, they deliver a payload of deliciousness unparalleled by any other form of tubed meat-waste. They snap when you bite into them!

Patrick
05-18-2010, 11:12 AM
What makes them unique? How exactly are they different?

Sven
05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
I didn't pay much attention to that scene, but now I will re-watch and report.

Kirin
05-18-2010, 01:29 PM

So here's a question: how widespread are red hot dogs? I ask because I was watching the Maine episode of No Reservations and Tony Bourdain seemed genuinely surprised to be presented with one. Considering the fact that he grew up in New York, which isn't that far away from here, and has eaten all over the world, I'm kind of baffled that he never had the chance to experience their robust succulence before that moment.

EDIT: I just answered my own question! They're actually unique to Maine! Oh my, non-vegetarian Talking Time, you have no idea what you're missing. They are so good. With a little ketchup and sauteed onions as garnish, they deliver a payload of deliciousness unparalleled by any other form of tubed meat-waste. They snap when you bite into them!

They most certainly are not. Well, maybe some particular brand is, but down here in North Carolina my friend makes a 30-mile pilgrimage to pick up Bright Leaf dogs, which are the reddest fucking thing you've ever seen. Kind of scares me, to be honest.

mr_bungle700
05-18-2010, 01:33 PM
BUT THEY'RE SO GOOD

And yeah, I did some more research and it looks like there are some other regional dogs that are similar to the Maine ones. It seems like Maine red dogs are their own thing, but I wouldn't be surprised to find other variations elsewhere.

What makes them unique? How exactly are they different?

They're extremely red, for starters, and the skin is firm and snappy. The skin holds in liquid well, so they're always perfectly juicy. They also have a less mealy consistency than regular hot dogs, and are lighter in color on the inside. They taste very different from regular hot dogs, and in my opinion, better. I don't know what makes the flavor different. They probably use special breeds of hamster and rat.

Ideally you'll boil or grill them, and if you grill you absolutely must char the outside black for maximum flavor sensation. There can be no exception to this!

teekun
05-18-2010, 11:25 PM

You know what hot-dog related uniqueness blew my mind? When I finally realized that there are two different types of hot-dog bun, and one of them is "New England style"

I never even really thought about it, and just assumed as a kid growing up in New England, that they were all the same and anything different was an anomaly. Apparently the NE-style ones are the freaks of the hot dog bun world.

mr_bungle700
05-19-2010, 09:01 AM
New England-style buns? That's a thing? Man, I don't know anything about food outside this region.

Dizzy
05-19-2010, 09:09 AM
They're extremely red, for starters, and the skin is firm and snappy. The skin holds in liquid well, so they're always perfectly juicy. They also have a less mealy consistency than regular hot dogs, and are lighter in color on the inside. They taste very different from regular hot dogs, and in my opinion, better. I don't know what makes the flavor different. They probably use special breeds of hamster and rat.

Ideally you'll boil or grill them, and if you grill you absolutely must char the outside black for maximum flavor sensation. There can be no exception to this!

How dare you make my mouth water. I'm craving a jumbo red hot dog w/ root beer.

Dadgum Roi
05-19-2010, 09:16 AM
They most certainly are not. Well, maybe some particular brand is, but down here in North Carolina my friend makes a 30-mile pilgrimage to pick up Bright Leaf dogs, which are the reddest fucking thing you've ever seen. Kind of scares me, to be honest.

Red hot dogs are big all over the South-until a couple of years ago I would have told you that "red hot dog" was redundant- but they seem to be especially popular in NC. There are a couple of producers that command almost religious devotion.

Pseudonym
05-19-2010, 09:43 AM
In the course of giving my friend who is going to Paris some trip advice, I brought up the subject of this hot dog I bought there. It had to have been the finest hot dog I had ever eaten in my life. It was one of those cartoon looking hot dogs with the tied casing ends that pop when you bite them. (Actually those red hot dogs just might fit the bill from the description.) And it was stuck in this hollowed out piece of french bread. There may or may not have been cheese and some fancy mustard involved. Now I'm totally wanting one! I think I'm going to go home tonight and see what I can reverse engineer with what I have in the house. That might not turn out so well, so I may have to go out for special ingredients this weekend.

Paul le Fou
05-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Damn now I could seriously go for some sausage. Especially italian sausage. With some onions and peppers... mustard...

Nodal
05-20-2010, 08:23 AM
I would just like to say I never tried sriracha until about a month and a half ago. I might have a slight problem with how much of it that I'm eating.

Edit: Also, Rhode Island weiners are the best type of hot dog. The best TT, the best.

Dadgum Roi
05-20-2010, 08:33 AM
El Yucateco's chile habanero verde cured me off Sriracha for good.

Nodal
05-20-2010, 08:36 AM
El Yucateco's chile habanero verde cured me off Sriracha for good.

Is it easy to find in a standard supermarket? Because if so when this bottle runs out I'll give it a try.

Dadgum Roi
05-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Is it easy to find in a standard supermarket? Because if so when this bottle runs out I'll give it a try.

I'm not sure, but if you look there, definitely try the Mexican section. I always buy it at the supermercado, though.

John
05-20-2010, 01:52 PM
My local supermercado recently got shut down (http://www.kgun9.com/global/story.asp?s=12353584), after a federal audit forced them to fire 300 illegal workers on their books. I was upset! Now I have to drive a mile further to get my menudo. Hooray Arizona.

Is that green chili hab sauce the very bright neon green stuff? I think I liked that, but the color threw me off. Taste was good, but color was unnatural. I guess sriracha's unnatural too, but fire engine red's more palatable than radioactive green.

Nodal
05-20-2010, 01:53 PM
My local supermercado recently got shut down (http://www.kgun9.com/global/story.asp?s=12353584), after a federal audit forced them to fire 300 illegal workers on their books. I was upset! Now I have to drive a mile further to get my menudo. Hooray Arizona.

Is that green chili hab sauce the very bright neon green stuff? I think I liked that, but the color threw me off. Taste was good, but color was unnatural. I guess sriracha's unnatural too, but fire engine red's more palatable than radioactive green.

Fire engine red can be faked as ketchup and put onto friends grilled foods.

Dadgum Roi
05-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Is that green chili hab sauce the very bright neon green stuff?

Yep, that's the one. It does look a touch radioactive, I'll admit. It's addictive, though. Make sure to get the green though, it's much better than the red.

Paul le Fou
05-23-2010, 08:42 AM
I had quite the food adventure this weekend.

We went to my friend's podunk town and tried their local famous dish: Horumon yaki udon.

Yakiudon is just like yakisoba except with udon instead of... actually, most yakisoba doesn't soba noodles, but ramen noodles, but you know what I mean. Oil, sauce, cabbage, lots of udon. Except the meat was awful. Pardon me: it was offal. Horumon is all the leftovers: intenstines, heart, liver, anus. Yeah, anus. We had rings of chewy bland... flesh? with spiky starfish-lookin' things coming off of them all up in our otherwise-pretty-tasty noodles.

None of us had moral or squicky objections to eating most of these things, it's just that they don't fucking taste good. Except heart. I really like that one.

Then we had a big dinner party at the local bar, where they served up hotpot featuring an angler fish. The lightbulb-on-a-stalk one. The meat was actually super delicious.

For lunch the next day we had fried deer cutlets and deer burgers (the town's other famous local dish).

Dadgum Roi
05-23-2010, 09:50 AM
Offal is very hit or miss. I don't like Mexican tripas- they're bland and ridiculously chewy. Chitlins, on the other hand, are great. It's the exact same thing, but stewed in a spicy vinegar and pepper sauce. They're tender, spicy, and delicious.

Warg
05-26-2010, 07:56 PM
Curiosity got the better of me today: I had a $3 cupcake.

It was a vanilla rum cupcake with some pretty-well-done banana-cream frosting. And it was pretty good!

I'll probably restrict it to that one try -- but if ever I organize a event with a good budget where I need desserts, I have their contact info.

Knight
05-27-2010, 11:30 AM
My wife had a craving for greek food last night, so we found a greek place nearby, and I tried a gyro for the first time! It was pretty good, I already knew I liked pita bread, but that mystery meat was way better than I expected. I also liked that they didn't skimp on the meat, I ordered mine plain, since I don't really like vegetables, and they stuffed that thing full of meat. I can't wait to go back and have another.