PDA

View Full Version : Ask Dr Salad!

shivam
01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
So it occurs to me that too many of you have no idea what to do with vegetables. I figured that as the resident vegetarian who loves cooking, I'd be able to help yall out. So go ahead, ask me what to do with that tuber, and i'll toss out a recipe or three =)

Rosencrantz
01-20-2010, 08:36 PM
I wish I liked salads but I'm a really picky eater and I hate all forms of dressing. Apart from that, I'm fine with the other ingredients of a boring salad, but they taste so bland...

shivam
01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
you hate dressing? even simple vinagrettes?
cause an undressed salad is more or less guaranteed to taste like nothing.

Try this-- Grab a bag of arugula leaves, a block of really old hard parmasean, and some lemon juice. Squeeze teh juice over the arugula, add crushed black pepper and some lemon zest, and then shave strips of cheese over the top. it's peppery and great.

estragon
01-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Goddam I love a good vinagrette.

Salads = love.

Pajaro Pete
01-20-2010, 08:51 PM
W...what is a "tuber"?

mopinks
01-20-2010, 08:56 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/salad.jpg

salads are not all fun and games.

spineshark
01-20-2010, 09:20 PM
I figured that as the resident vegetarian who loves cooking, I'd be able to help yall out.
Hey now, this wording doesn't leave much room for more than one!
W...what is a "tuber"?
Potatoes, mostly. And Sweet Potatoes.

Silent Noise
01-20-2010, 09:21 PM
W...what is a "tuber"?

It's a term for potatoe type things. Shivam you are now required to change your custom title.

Edit: Spineshark! We shall now duel in hell, you who posted one minute faster then I!

... Also I need that aragula salad now.

Zef
01-20-2010, 09:23 PM
This thread was made for me.

I don't have any particular questions right now, but I'll wait for a nice selection of recipes to harvest for the next time I crave a good salad :)

openedsource
01-21-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm in! I've been preparing raw and vegan food at home for a while now. There's so many good recipes out there that are so quick to make it's silly not to.

I made some zucchini pasta the other night. Here's the recipe I used:

4 zucchini
4 tomatoes
1/2 cup pine nuts
1 clove garlic
1 fistfull basil (around 2 cups)
lemon juice
olive oil
Celtic sea salt & black pepper

To make the pasta, you can use a mandolin to slice the zucchini into thin strips (or ribbons). If you have a Cuisinart, that makes quick work of it too. I imagine you could use a cheese grater in a pinch. A spiral slicer produces really nice looking results (but I don't have a spiral slicer lying around, and I'm not crazy about taking up kitchen space with too many gadgets).

Most recipies recommend you slice up the outside and toss the core, but since I hate to waste good veggies, I slice the whole thing. Just be mindful that this will produce quite a bit of water from the seeds.

Dice the tomatoes, and add them to the plate.

Mix all the other ingredients together in a blender (I personally use a Vita Mix, which is a wonderful piece of equipment, and allows you to toss in the whole lemon, peel and all). Add lemon juice and olive oil to taste, blending just enough to mix everything together but ideally leaving a few of the pine nuts visible for texture.

Toss to mix (If you're using a Cuisinart, reverse the steps. make the pesto, then slice the zucchini right into the dressing. Slice the tomatoes on top, and mix everything in the bowl. Then toss all the dirty dishes in a dishwasher and enjoy).

Garnish with some basil and pine nuts if there's someone you're trying to impress. Otherwise, dig in! It's quite tasty and very filling.

upupdowndown
01-21-2010, 08:58 AM
Shivam, what's a tasty thing to do with rutabagas or turnips? Just roast them like beets or brussel sprouts?

Also, I'm looking for more non spicy ways to cook kale. I'll cook kale with apple slices, ginger, and apple cider vinegar, and that's certainly good, but i like having multiple recipes for daily veggies. Gotta be non-spicy, though, because my husband has a super sensitive tongue for spicy stuff.

Bergasa
01-21-2010, 09:26 AM
best dressing = ranch
worst dressing = apple cider vinegar (sorry upupdowndown!)

upupdowndown
01-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Oh, I only cook with it, I don't use it for dressing. Sometimes you need that slug of acidity to make the other flavors pop.

Dadgum Roi
01-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Any good spicy greens recipes? Collards, turnip greens, and mustard greens are most accessible for me.

Patrick
01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
hey, I made a salad last night!

Uh, it wasn't especially great. I got a $0.79 head of lettuce from Jewel, which was probably the culprit. I'm going to head to a local Fruit & Vegetable market sometime soon, what sort of lettuce should I get? All I know is to avoid iceburg.

Also, how long to Cucumbers last? I have 1/2 of one in my fridge, and the last time I got a Cucumber it ended up getting all mushy before I ate it.

Adding cheese is a good idea. I usually use Western or Ranch dressing, but I'm up for branching out.

shivam
01-21-2010, 12:41 PM
Shivam, what's a tasty thing to do with rutabagas or turnips? Just roast them like beets or brussel sprouts?

Also, I'm looking for more non spicy ways to cook kale. I'll cook kale with apple slices, ginger, and apple cider vinegar, and that's certainly good, but i like having multiple recipes for daily veggies. Gotta be non-spicy, though, because my husband has a super sensitive tongue for spicy stuff.

Oh man. I loves me some winter roots. they're so sweet and crunchy, and totally ignored. What i would suggest is adding a parsnip and a thick carrot (cause they go great with bagas and turnips), and peel/chopping them into big ol' chunks. Toss them in a bowl with olive oil, salt and pepper, and a spoonfull of rosemary ( i normally just toss in two or three sprigs). Roast the lot along with some sweet onion slices at 350 for like 30 min, and near the end toss in a few cloves of garlic as well.

Now you can serve this as is, but i prefer to go the next stage up, and mash the lot into a thick paste and then spread it on a good loaf of french bread, or adding like 6 cups of broth and making it into a rocking winter soup. In that case, i'd probably also roast a butternut squash to go with it, and add some spinach leaves for texture.

Violentvixen
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
cause an undressed salad is more or less guaranteed to taste like nothing.

I hate salad dressing but love salads. Give me a Ready Pac of Romaine lettuce and I'll eat it like potato chips.

Dadgum Roi
01-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Rutabagas are great- they're always braised/stewed here, but I have no idea how to do it myself.

shivam
01-21-2010, 02:53 PM
hey, I made a salad last night!

Uh, it wasn't especially great. I got a $0.79 head of lettuce from Jewel, which was probably the culprit. I'm going to head to a local Fruit & Vegetable market sometime soon, what sort of lettuce should I get? All I know is to avoid iceburg.

Also, how long to Cucumbers last? I have 1/2 of one in my fridge, and the last time I got a Cucumber it ended up getting all mushy before I ate it.

Adding cheese is a good idea. I usually use Western or Ranch dressing, but I'm up for branching out.

Romaine is my personal preference, but i generally get spinach/romaine blends. And cucumbers are gonna last a week at most. You kinda want to use them within one or two days of cutting them open.

estragon
01-21-2010, 04:12 PM
best dressing to dip pizza crust and breadsticks into but never to let anywhere near a salad my god what kind of monster would do that to a perfectly good salad unless they had no other option= ranch

SilentSnake
01-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Ranch is the dressing of choice for me on salad. Bleu cheese if I'm feeling zesty.

This does not apply to Caesar salads.

Lady
01-21-2010, 04:38 PM
is there any magic I can do to keep potatoes and lettuce and apples from browning after cutting? Apples and potatoes aren't so much a problem, but red lettuce is weird. Actually how long is lettuce good for; I don't remember how long I've had this head.

shivam
01-21-2010, 04:46 PM
I put potatoes into a bowl of water immediately after cutting. As long as you use them soon, you'll be fine. Apples, just sprinkle with lemon juice.

Lettuce, though, i've never had turn brown on me after cutting. If it ain't green, it ain't good.

Guesty
01-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Shivam, what's a good recipe for vegetable stew or soup?
________
Fisting pussy (http://www.fucktube.com/categories/577/pussy/videos/1)

taosterman
01-21-2010, 05:27 PM
My girlfriend and I cooked Ethiopian food for the first time a couple weeks ago, though we're currently intimidated by the bread so it was store-bought. If I were a vegetarian, it would be pretty much all I ever ate; as it is, it takes up a solid 35%.

spineshark
01-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Shivam, what's a good recipe for vegetable stew or soup?
I like to just add curry and soy sauce to a big pot of varied vegetables. Onions, celery, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, peas, tomatoes, etc. With all the other vegetable flavors in there, that's all the push you need to put it over into "fantastic." Tofu or tempeh in there is good too, especially for the latter since it won't come on too strong as just a part of the stew.
Lettuce, though, i've never had turn brown on me after cutting. If it ain't green, it ain't good.
I see it brown on the edges sometimes if it's sat in the fridge for a couple days. It's still okay, but I would just make sure to use any lettuce you cut pretty quickly. You could probably do the water thing, but I wouldn't bother with it personally.

mopinks
01-21-2010, 05:48 PM
I bought a bunch of spinach and dressing, but I completely forgot the dried cranberries and walnuts and gorgonzola! I'm so sadddddd

Ethan
01-21-2010, 05:55 PM
So what you've got to do is take kale, rip it up into little pieces, spread it out on a baking sheet, drizzle on a little bit of olive oil, salt it a bit, and throw it in the oven at a low heat. When they dry out, you will have kale chips, and you will be happy.

Bergasa
01-21-2010, 07:44 PM
I bought a bunch of spinach and dressing, but I completely forgot the dried cranberries and walnuts and gorgonzola! I'm so sadddddd

Substitute diced hardboiled egg, red onion, and bacon crumbles instead! I love that spinach salad.

mopinks
01-21-2010, 08:05 PM
man, if I had bacon in the house I certainly wouldn't be complaining about salads on the internet! I'd be too busy eating bacon.

Violentvixen
01-21-2010, 08:08 PM
My girlfriend and I cooked Ethiopian food for the first time a couple weeks ago, though we're currently intimidated by the bread so it was store-bought. If I were a vegetarian, it would be pretty much all I ever ate; as it is, it takes up a solid 35%.

Any recipes or books or anything you'd recommend? I LOVE Ethiopian food but haven't a clue how to make good stuff myself.

So what you've got to do is take kale, rip it up into little pieces, spread it out on a baking sheet, drizzle on a little bit of olive oil, salt it a bit, and throw it in the oven at a low heat. When they dry out, you will have kale chips, and you will be happy.

We were literally just staring at the kale we got in our CSA box and wondering to do with it. Thanks!

taosterman
01-21-2010, 08:11 PM
Any recipes or books or anything you'd recommend? I LOVE Ethiopian food but haven't a clue how to make good stuff myself.

The pickings on Amazon are pretty middling, but if you're willing to fork over $40 (including shipping), there's one called "The Recipe of Love" from a restaurant (interestingly enough) in Toronto. I actually got it for my girlfriend for Christmas, hence all the recent cooking. Their website is here (http://www.addisababa.ca/default.asp).

shivam
01-21-2010, 11:31 PM

We were literally just staring at the kale we got in our CSA box and wondering to do with it. Thanks!

Kale is great in winter soups. It takes a surprisingly long time to cook, though, especially in comparison to other leafy greens.

Ethan
01-22-2010, 04:44 AM
A friend of mine came to my place a few weeks ago and made this soup with kale, and it proved to be an amazing soup ingredient. I won't bother describing the recipe here, because salt pork and chorizo were involved, but I do remember that the soup didn't appear to be shaping up that well until the kale was added, which transformed it from a watery pork/bean thing into a hearty winter stew.

NevznachaY
01-22-2010, 05:06 AM
Beets are under-appreciated.

Boil beets -> Slice beets (thinly) -> Put them on fresh chicory leaves -> Add crushed walnuts -> (non-vegan) Add ricotta

Ruik
01-22-2010, 05:11 AM
My finacee is a (mostly) vegetarian, so my diet has become a lot less meat centered. I got a slow cooker awhile ago and have been meaning to do something with it, so I looked up a bunch of recipes online and decided to make Ratatouille with Garbanzo Beans. I think it turned out fantastic, it was almost like a hardy vegetarian stew.

Kirin
01-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Yeah, my wife is also mostly veggie, so we don't prepare meat at home. Last night I made some Mexican seitan that was pretty good! (Easy recipe: suate some onions and garlic, shred/chop in seitan, add chili powder, oregano, basil, soy sauce, then add diced tomatoes and peppers and just simmer it all 'til it looks good.)

Hey Shivam!

Not to stereotype, but would you happen to have a good recipe for Makhani sauce? Because that stuff is delicious.

shivam
01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
sadly no. it's a very regional dish from punjab, anad my people wouldnt even know where to start with it. hell, the first time most indians encounter makhani is at restaurants...outside of india.

Kirin
01-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Ah, fascinating. Well, thanks for the answer anyway.

Red Hedgehog
01-24-2010, 05:44 PM

This sounds amazing. I may make it to have with my sausage and curry sauce this week.

Ethan
01-24-2010, 06:11 PM
Tonight I'm doing up acorn squash curry with chick peas. Haven't eaten it yet, but it smells good.

This is my first legitimate attempt at winter squash. Previously I've only done microwave-cooked spaghetti squash, which is cheating.

Hey, Shivam, whatcha know about jicama in settings other than salad?

upupdowndown
01-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Tonight I'm doing up acorn squash curry with chick peas. Haven't eaten it yet, but it smells good.

This is my first legitimate attempt at winter squash. Previously I've only done microwave-cooked spaghetti squash, which is cheating.

Sounds goooood.

Are you seriously saying you've never cooked winter squash? Or just you've never done curry with winter squash?

Ethan
01-24-2010, 06:20 PM
Never done winter squash (except spaghetti). I've eaten plenty of great dishes made with butternut squash, acorn squash, pumpkin, etc., but in my own dishes I've always gone for the summer squashes because they are so much faster to work with. This has taken an hour or more. Yellow squash curry would take about 15 minutes.

upupdowndown
01-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Ah, but with more work comes greater rewards! Yellow squash curry sounds great, but I find summer squash by itself to be pretty aggressively bland. (I will have it sauteed with zucchini, garlic, and onions in the summer, and that works out well, but I never want to have it by itself.)

You should really try roasting butternut squash. just cut it up into chunks, put it on a foil-lined sheet, drizzle with olive oil, toss with yr hands, then shake some sage on it and grind some salt and pepper on it. in chunk form it roasts nicely at 400 degrees in about 25 minutes. So you can start the squash and then get the rest of dinner ready while it roasts. Easy-peasy and delicious - grate some Parm over it at the table and you're golden.

Ethan
01-24-2010, 06:35 PM
Update: this dinner is absurdly good.

shivam
01-24-2010, 06:42 PM
butternut squash was meant to be roasted, with a thin coating of butter and brown sugar, and either an onion or a coupla things of garlic shoved in the seed pit area.

upupdowndown
01-24-2010, 06:52 PM
how'd ya make it, destro?

Ethan
01-24-2010, 07:10 PM
The technique was mostly from Bittman. I skinned, scooped, and cubed two smallish acorn squashes. I also had a tablespoon of minced ginger, a whole chopped onion, a tablespoon of curry powder (not of my own making), a cup of coconut milk, and some red chili flakes.

I put some olive oil in the bottom of a dutch oven and cooked the onions for a few minutes until they softened. I then added the ginger and curry powder and kept tossing the onions. After a few minutes I threw in the squash and the coconut milk, and hit it with a couple pinches of salt, a few shakes of chili, and eight turns with the black pepper grinder. I stirred the mixture to coat everything, raised it all to a boil for a minute, and then turned it down to a simmer and put the lid on. It simmered in the dutch oven for about 30-40 minutes until it was super-soft. It probably could have gone in for less time, but I could tell the chick peas I was making were going to come out pretty firm, so I let the squash get very tender to contrast.

The chick peas were dried, not canned. I boiled them for a couple minutes in the afternoon and let them sit in the water for a couple hours to plump up. I then added a bit more water, added seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika, marjoram) to the water, and let the beans simmer mostly-covered. Toward the end of the simmer I added butter, coconut milk, olive oil, and a bit more salt to get them richer and softer. They were probably simmering for around 90 minutes in all, post-soak. It's a big time investment, but they're so, so much better than canned. If I did it again, I would add the coconut milk, oil, and butter earlier in the simmer for better absorption.

My half-finished bowl looked like this (http://imgur.com/6Kepg.jpg). I made enough to feed myself and my roommate, and take a large portion to work tomorrow for lunch.

upupdowndown
01-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Which Bittman? HtCE or HtCEV? that looks like a great success!

Ethan
01-24-2010, 08:41 PM
HtCE.

Issun
01-26-2010, 01:58 AM
I think the post count in this Vegeta-ble thread will reach a very high number...

Pajaro Pete
02-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Vegetarians, Vegans and General Vegetable Enthusiasts:
What is the best way to cook broccoli? I've been seasoning (lemon juice, salt, pepper, and a grill mix) and steaming mine, but I feel like there's got to be more interesting ways. I've tried this (http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html), and it was pretty interesting, but I don't always have 20 minutes of oven time to spare.

So... seasoning and cooking method recommendations are welcome! Tell me how you make broccoli delicious!

spineshark
02-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Probably 90% of the broccoli I eat is stir-fried with onions. You want to stop cooking it right when it starts to get darker; before then it's awfully crunchy, but the taste will go downhill some pretty quickly if you keep blasting it. For whatever reason, normal sauteing doesn't give very good results. I don't recommend it. If you know how to make a simple cheese sauce, you can mix that with some rice and steamed broccoli. I happen to be a huge fan of the lemon-butter-salt trinity myself for steamed vegetables, so I don't know a lot of other things to do with them plain.

You can also stew it with a bunch of other vegetables, but I would give that advice for basically any vegetable.

Patrick
02-03-2010, 06:46 PM
What kind of vegetables last the longest? I keep letting veggies go bad, so I stop buying them, then I decide that I'm not getting enough vegetables in my diet and start over. It's a vicious cycle.

Pajaro Pete
02-04-2010, 12:05 PM
Probably 90% of the broccoli I eat is stir-fried with onions. You want to stop cooking it right when it starts to get darker; before then it's awfully crunchy, but the taste will go downhill some pretty quickly if you keep blasting it. For whatever reason, normal sauteing doesn't give very good results. I don't recommend it. If you know how to make a simple cheese sauce, you can mix that with some rice and steamed broccoli. I happen to be a huge fan of the lemon-butter-salt trinity myself for steamed vegetables, so I don't know a lot of other things to do with them plain.

I've stirfried them before, but usually as a part of a bigger dish (like... beef stirfry), but that sounds like a good idea. I've tried to saute it before, and it worked out about as well as you'd expect. Thanks!

This is not a question, it is simple a vegetable-related anecdote:
Butter Beans (Lima Beans) are awesome, and I am so irritated by every child from every television show from 1985~1996 using them as an example of "EEEEW GROSS FOOD MY MOM MAKES ME EAT." For a long time, I didn't know the two were the same thing, and I would have never made the connection that the horrible awful digusting food known as Lima Beans were actually the same as yummy Butter Beans. In conclusion, Butter Beans. I hope you enjoyed my paragraph.

Dadgum Roi
02-04-2010, 12:10 PM
This is not a question, it is simple a vegetable-related anecdote:
Butter Beans (Lima Beans) are awesome, and I am so irritated by every child from every television show from 1985~1996 using them as an example of "EEEEW GROSS FOOD MY MOM MAKES ME EAT." For a long time, I didn't know the two were the same thing, and I would have never made the connection that the horrible awful digusting food known as Lima Beans were actually the same as yummy Butter Beans. In conclusion, Butter Beans. I hope you enjoyed my paragraph.

Pretty much my exact experience. Even when I was a picky little shit, I loved butterbeans.

shivam
02-04-2010, 12:11 PM
What kind of vegetables last the longest? I keep letting veggies go bad, so I stop buying them, then I decide that I'm not getting enough vegetables in my diet and start over. It's a vicious cycle.

root veggies, generally. Bell peppers and squash can last a few weeks, and leafy greens have the shortest life span. Really, its best to use as soon as possible, and don't buy them unless you know what you want to do with them.

As far as broccoli goes, i like to pan fry with walnut pieces and sliced garlic and assorted indian spices. shit tastes awesome.

Violentvixen
02-04-2010, 12:15 PM
I adore plain steamed broccoli. No idea why I like that so much, but mmm. I hate it with cheese on it.

I'd recommend buying canned or frozen ones, they're often quite good and will at least help you get in a routine and figure out how much fresh stuff you should buy. Anyway, stilltasty.com (http://www.stilltasty.com/) is useful for this. All sorts of great info on there.

Pretty much my exact experience. Even when I was a picky little shit, I loved butterbeans.

I only learned about the "butterbean" name recently. Is it more common in different areas?

Dadgum Roi
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
I only learned about the "butterbean" name recently. Is it more common in different areas?

I think butterbean is one of those Southern thangs, and lima bean is northern/American.

Pajaro Pete
02-04-2010, 12:21 PM
As far as broccoli goes, i like to pan fry with walnut pieces and sliced garlic and assorted indian spices. shit tastes awesome.

As someone who is not Indian, could you elaborate on what sort of spices you mean?

You hear it in the southern US. e: GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

shivam
02-04-2010, 12:28 PM
well, you heat up oil in a saute/frying pan and toss in a spoon full of black mustard seed and ajwain, and then the broccoli and stuff. on top of that, you put in garam masala and turmeric and chili powder. cook for a while and you're good.

i'll make an indian food thread later.

MCBanjoMike
02-04-2010, 12:38 PM
i'll make an indian food thread later.

DO IT.

Dadgum Roi
02-04-2010, 12:40 PM
You hear it in the southern US. e: GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

The Singularity is right'chear.