PDA

View Full Version : Sammiches deserve their own thread.

Issun
01-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Grilled cheese is delicious, especially if'n you use more than one kind of cheese and pair it with tomato soup.

There's a barbecue place a few blocks from my house that has catfish po'boys. MMMM.

Aren't BLTs awesome, with the right amount of mayo, and the bacon is crisp and the tomatoes are juicy?

Post your random sandwich thoughts/recipes.

Brickroad
01-20-2010, 10:31 PM
We made hot wings last night, and I gussied mine up into a hot wings sandwich because hey, why not.

Bread must be a magical food, because anything placed between two pieces of it becomes somehow more delicious.

Balrog
01-20-2010, 10:50 PM
There's a place I go to called Jersey Mike's and they make the best sammich ever: turkey, ham, bacon, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onions, mayonnaise, oil, red vinegar, salt & pepper. OH GOD I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW

blinkpen
01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
Bread must be a magical food, because anything placed between two pieces of it becomes somehow more delicious.

DemoWeasel
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Sandwiches I make:

Bread
Turkey
Mustard
Bread

OR

Bread
Ham
Mustard
Bread

Pajaro Pete
01-20-2010, 10:56 PM
But what types of bread do you use? How are the meats cooked? Dig deeper people!

Shinji: Try adding lettuce, pickles and onions in there! It will rock your world!

shivam
01-20-2010, 10:57 PM
can i take the time to note that i fucking hate the word sammich, cause there's a goddamned 'nd' in there for a reason, so fucking say it unless you're a goddamned three year old?

estragon
Anyone from now on who doesn't visualize their sandwhich with typography like the above example is a failure.

mopinks
I just crafted some fine chicken salad, consisting of:

chicken (!!)
blue cheese dressing
dijon mustard
sriracha
diced scallions
a little bit of basil-infused olive oil
a whole lot of pepper

and smeared it into the middle of a delicious croissant. it was pretty perfect! it would've been extra perfect with the addition of some dried cranberries or walnuts or something.

Issun
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
There's a place I go to called Jersey Mike's and they make the best sammich ever: turkey, ham, bacon, provolone, lettuce, tomato, onions, mayonnaise, oil, red vinegar, salt & pepper. OH GOD I WANT ONE RIGHT NOW

That sounds awesome. Interestingly, provolone sucks unless it's on a sandwich, then it's delicious.

can i take the time to note that i fucking hate the word sammich, cause there's a goddamned 'nd' in there for a reason, so fucking say it unless you're a goddamned three year old?

I can think of more important things to get angry about.

Brickroad
01-20-2010, 11:02 PM
Anyone from now on who doesn't visualize their sandwhich with typography like the above example is a failure.

Fair enough!

george foreman grill
olive oil + seasonings (brush lightly!)
italian roll
provolone cheese
italian dressing
tomato
lettuce
ham
pepperoni
turkey breast
italian roll
olive oil + seasonings (brush lightly!)
george foreman grill

PRESS DOWN HARD.

blinkpen
01-20-2010, 11:05 PM
Mmm mm, that sounds like a delicious sammich Brickroad!

DemoWeasel
01-20-2010, 11:07 PM
But what types of bread do you use? How are the meats cooked? Dig deeper people!

Shinji: Try adding lettuce, pickles and onions in there! It will rock your world!

I would, but my fridge isn't big enough to keep fresh veggies in =(

Brickroad
01-20-2010, 11:08 PM
I've always felt that the dividing line between a sandwich and a sammich is how much drool your mouth produces in anticipation of eating said sandwich/sammich.

mopinks
01-20-2010, 11:13 PM
I share shivam's hatred of 'sammich', but I don't think I share his fiery passion about it.

Lucas
01-20-2010, 11:49 PM
Meatball sandwiches are aces. Pulled pork is pretty good too!

The Mediterranean deli in my town has a chicken pesto sandwich, but I haven't worked up the guts to try it yet. (Also they only had the last time I was there and I haven't been back since.)

Ethan
01-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Gimme a Glock, gimme a 4-5
And I would be straight
Might make it through the day
But by the night I'd need two AK's
A couple of sets of extra clips
And some ham sandwiches
The po-pos know me
And they used to my shenanigans

I don't really make sandwiches at home, unless it's peanut butter & jelly or peanut butter & honey that I throw together out of desperation. My favorite place for sandwiches is Cafecito, a Cuban sandwich in the southern part of downtown Chicago that is run by a Lebanese guy. He does this sandwich of chimichurri and Argentinian chorizo that is off the scale. His regular Cuban is great as well.

Dadgum Roi
01-21-2010, 05:32 AM
My favorite sandwich is a chopped whole hog barbecue(with skin) and slaw sandwich. A little smoky, a little spicy, a little cool and sweet.

I also like tortas from Mexican places, but they're so big.

Pombar
01-21-2010, 06:12 AM
I made my customary Double Fried Egg Sandwich at 2 in the morning last night, and it was spectacular.

Kirin
01-21-2010, 08:15 AM
I keep my lunch sandwiches interesting by buying interesting cheeses from the co-op's deli (smoked mozzerella, havarti dill, sharp aged cheddars, jalapeno jack, etc etc etc) and locally-produced salami or sopresata, which is pretty damn tasty. Also sometimes my wife makes delicious home-made breads, like that rosemary one - that was so good.

upupdowndown
01-21-2010, 09:03 AM
I keep my lunch sandwiches interesting by buying interesting cheeses from the co-op's deli (smoked mozzerella, havarti dill, sharp aged cheddars, jalapeno jack, etc etc etc) and locally-produced salami or sopresata, which is pretty damn tasty. Also sometimes my wife makes delicious home-made breads, like that rosemary one - that was so good.

yum, yum, yum. artisanal lunch meat is soooo good, as is homemade bread.

I really love Cubans (ham, pork loin, swiss, stone ground mustard, pickle), but that's a sandwich I'm never going to make at home since I don't have roast sliced pork loin on hand generally. Fortunately there's a place around the corner that does a great Cuban.

We also live near Melt, the best sandwich joint in Cincinnati, and we probably eat there once a week. the meat is locally sourced and from organic small farms, and they do tons of vegetarian and vegan options. they have one sandwich called the Joan of Arc which has roast beef, roasted garlic, caramelized onions, provolone, and blue cheese crumbles. i also get a seitan bbq sandwich with white cheddar and banana peppers.

nunix
01-21-2010, 09:05 AM
nunix's subway sandwich: roasted chicken breast, pepperoni, cheddar cheese, lettuce, onion, salt and pepper and oil and vinegar, on parmesan oregano bread

om nom nom nom

Pombar
01-21-2010, 09:08 AM
Nah, no-one enunciates the "nd". It's plain old Samwitch.

Peach
01-21-2010, 09:10 AM
The typical sandwich I make is pepperoni, onion, green pepper, black olives, and mustard on Wasa whole grain crispbread.

Ethan
01-21-2010, 09:11 AM
I enunciate the "nd". I think most people in the midwestern US do. It's not a hard "D", but it's there.

upupdowndown
01-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I enunciate the "nd". I think most people in the midwestern US do. It's not a hard "D", but it's there.

I can attest that this is the standard pronunciation in Ohio. People here only say "sammich" if they are being cutesy/twee.

Pombar
01-21-2010, 09:19 AM
Yeah, sammich is still people trying to sound silly, but samwitch and samwidge are the only pronunciations you really hear near me. Only proper RP speakers enunciate it properly.

Reinforcements
01-21-2010, 09:20 AM
The Reuben is the best sandwich.
Except a Reuben with pastrami instead of corned beef.
Because pastrami is the best deli meat.

upupdowndown
01-21-2010, 09:24 AM
Yeah, sammich is still people trying to sound silly, but samwitch and samwidge are the only pronunciations you really hear near me. Only proper RP speakers enunciate it properly.

Huh. RP = received pronunciation? what neck of the woods are you in, Pombar?

Red Hedgehog
01-21-2010, 09:27 AM
I am in sandwich heaven here in New York. In fact, three of New York magazine's top-rated sandwiches are within walking distance of my apartment office, including this tasty number (http://nymag.com/restaurants/articles/09/07/cheapsandwiches/index2.html). Actually, almost every sandwich at Num Pang is delicious. Additionally there's a little bodega/corner deli 4 blocks from my apartment where I swear they must put crack in their sandwiches (okay, I stole that line from a NY mag writeup of the place). The ingredients aren't particularly special there, but they make good combinations of meats, cheeses, veggie, and condiments and it is just delicious.

I do miss Philly-style hoagies, though. The equivalent New York sub just isn't as good.

And sammich sounds goddamn awful. People on the east coast say "sandwich".

Pombar
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
Huh. RP = received pronunciation? what neck of the woods are you in, Pombar?Where in London, UK? Islington/Camden divide. So there're some RP speakers you hear on Hampstead Heath and the like. It's not an accent that warms me to speakers of it, however, and this seems to be the prevailing attitude of the last couple of decades.

Falselogic
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
The Reuben is the best sandwich.
Except a Reuben with pastrami instead of corned beef.
Because pastrami is the best deli meat.

Reuben's are the best sandwich There is an Irish pub in Sac I get mine from and a Jewish Deli back home in Palm Desert that serve excellent ones

(and I think I have always pronounced it sanwich, though sometimes a d slips in. I bet it is because my mom's mom's family was from the mid-west, though we don't call soda "pop" like those idiots do" ) oh, calm down I love you guys, despite your idiocy

Sheana
01-21-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm easy to please with just a simple cheese or turkey sandwich, but my all-time favorite is cold roast beef with lettuce & mayo on a nice hard roll. The pinker the beef the better.