PDA

View Full Version : Food Fun Club.

Ethan
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
We should have week-long or 2-week-long TT Fun Club-style food mission threads. We could do it Iron Chef-style (minus all the competition), where some moderator (not me, I'm too lazy) assigns an ingredient and we all try to make something around that ingredient. We can post pictures of the process and describe what we did and how it turned out. Also, the weekly or biweekly ingredient should never be a cut of meat, because that is more inclusive and more interesting.

I think this is a good idea. Do you think it is a good idea?

Loki
01-22-2010, 07:59 AM
This is a wonderful idea and I would be up for moderating it.

Balrog
01-22-2010, 08:05 AM
This is a wonderful idea and I would be up for cooking and eating.

Kirin
01-22-2010, 08:28 AM
I approve of both the idea and the 2-week-long period, since my wife and I trade off grocery list duties every other week.

Violentvixen
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I remember this came up the day this part of the forum opened and I am still totally in favor of it!

upupdowndown
01-22-2010, 11:18 AM
sounds like a good way to try new stuff! And I like being veggie inclusive.

I'd suggest, though, that we not pick any veggie proteins (tempeh/seitan/tofu), in the interest of parity.

pence
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I would definitely discipline myself into participating. I have a rather narrow set of recipes to work with right now, and most of them involve pasta or boneless skinless chicken breasts. I'd appreciate the variety.

Ethan
01-22-2010, 06:00 PM
sounds like a good way to try new stuff! And I like being veggie inclusive.

I'd suggest, though, that we not pick any veggie proteins (tempeh/seitan/tofu), in the interest of parity.

Leaving out seitan is fine, because seitan is nasty and is almost always used nefariously. I think tofu and tempeh should be fair game, though. Whiteys have decided that tofu and tempeh belong in the "meat substitutes" category, but they are actually very simple foods that have been staples of many world cuisines since ancient times, and are often prepared with meat. Maybe tofu would make a bad choice in general because it's such a blank slate it would be like choosing white rice as the ingredient but tempeh has a very discinctive, delicious flavor and is criminally underused.

upupdowndown
01-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Leaving out seitan is fine, because seitan is nasty and is almost always used nefariously.

Oh man, you didn't just insult seitan, did you? Oh maaaan. I should challenge you to a duel or something.

I see your point about broadening folks' horizons, and if someone really doesn't want to eat tempeh, they just would have to forego participating that week.

shivam
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM
i'll play, but don't exclude meat on my account. vegetarians are a small minority around here =)

Parish
01-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Well, there should be a mix of carnivorous and vegetarian choices. Plenty of things to make that don't involve meat, so no one has to feel left out. It would be like regular Fun Club -- sometimes there's a game selection in a genre you don't care about and you skip it. So it goes!

Anyway, awesome idea.

dangerhelvetica
01-22-2010, 09:10 PM
You shouldn't play with your food. :I

Pseudonym
01-22-2010, 09:47 PM
This is a great idea! I like to eat, but maybe now I can learn to cook! (Well, I can make cookies, but that's pretty much the extent of my skills)

Lady
01-23-2010, 10:24 AM
You should include the "meat substitutes" just because people like me would never use them otherwise!

Red Hedgehog
01-24-2010, 05:11 PM
This is a great idea.

Great idea.

Ethan
01-24-2010, 05:33 PM
So I guess we've established that Loki is moderating, there are NO RULES for ingredients, each FC will last for 2 weeks, and everyone loves this idea.

When do we start? Mayhap I shall suggest... tomorrow? I think Monday is a good starting point because that allows for 2 weekends, plus a solid week's lead time to get ingredients before the first weekend. More enterprising participants will be able to do two "playthroughs", so to speak.

upupdowndown
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Go go go! Let's do this! Ease us in, Loki - no durian for the first ingredient, please...

Loki
01-24-2010, 06:22 PM
First up: Natto.

shivam
01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
oh fuck you

Comb Stranger
01-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Pence told me not two hours ago that natto did not disgust him. If he doesn't participate, with photos, I submit that he is a filthy liar.

pence
01-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Pence told me not two hours ago that natto did not disgust him. If he doesn't participate, with photos, I submit that he is a filthy liar.

I told you that natto, unlike cuitlacoche, did not look gross in pictures. I also specifically mentioned it could be entirely disgusting when the other senses are applied, and compared it to blue cheese, which is something I am used to eating. However, natto's wikipedia page has a whole section on how it's an acquired taste, and blue cheese does not.

Ethan
01-24-2010, 07:20 PM
I had natto over rice at the foot court in Mitsuwa Marketplace north of Chicago. It wasn't bad. It was also not quite as stringy as some of the pictures I see on Google, so maybe it was a bit dumbed down for my bland western sensibilities.

pence
01-24-2010, 07:42 PM
I should also add that the one time I visited the west coast I had a durian smoothie and was totally fine with it. Even the smell wasn't awful, just a little ripe. Maybe I have just developed a weird palette. But I have no concept of what natto tastes like other than 'cheesy'. Which means taking the safe route and seeing what other people say.

dwolfe
01-24-2010, 07:51 PM
Two thoughts: if it's a meal proposal, vegetarians use substitute of choice (as us meat-eaters can still use the recipe/ideas)

Second, we need at least one CHEESE challenge, stat!

I'm in favour of going for veggies/fruits in season, as well. I.e with the cold in Florida of late, some produce in the US is ungodly expensive.

upupdowndown
01-24-2010, 07:52 PM
I should also add that the one time I visited the west coast I had a durian smoothie and was totally fine with it. Even the smell wasn't awful, just a little ripe.

I believe that it's the outer rind and opening the durian that's the real stench generator. I've had durian-flavored wafer cookies. They were kinda awful! but no more so than neapolitan flavored wafer cookies.

NevznachaY
02-18-2010, 12:37 AM
So why did our overlord lock the first fun club thread after we'd agreed that it should last for a month? I totally have an orange-whiskey jelly half-prepared. =(

Matchstick
02-18-2010, 06:43 PM
So why did our overlord lock the first fun club thread after we've agreed that it should last for a month? I totally have an orange-whiskey jelly half-prepared. =(

He probably missed that discussion. I also didn't see any concurrence/disagreement over my idea of doing 4 week sessions that are staggered every two weeks. Thoughts?

spineshark
02-18-2010, 08:14 PM
I already said this, but I like the idea of having staggered food Fun Clubs a lot. Biggest point in favor: if you have two at once, then one can use a meat-y ingredient without excluding vegetarians (like myself) from the whole thing for the duration.

Loki
02-18-2010, 08:35 PM
I was going to give everyone the rest of the month to finish their orange dishes start staggering it next round.

NevznachaY, go ahead and post your dish in this topic for now.

Matchstick
02-18-2010, 08:53 PM
I was going to give everyone the rest of the month to finish their orange dishes start staggering it next round.

NevznachaY, go ahead and post your dish in this topic for now.

I'll just unlock the thread.

Violentvixen
02-21-2010, 05:03 PM
He probably missed that discussion. I also didn't see any concurrence/disagreement over my idea of doing 4 week sessions that are staggered every two weeks. Thoughts?

I like this idea as well. Participating in this session may not happen for me, life has been getting too crazy.

dwolfe
02-21-2010, 07:06 PM
I already said this, but I like the idea of having staggered food Fun Clubs a lot. Biggest point in favor: if you have two at once, then one can use a meat-y ingredient without excluding vegetarians (like myself) from the whole thing for the duration.

Tofu or saitan for meat. Done. Don't see the point, honestly. Most meat dishes don't really lean on the flavour of the meat heavily, some seafood aside.

NevznachaY
02-22-2010, 04:35 AM
Tofu or saitan for meat. Done. Don't see the point, honestly. Most meat dishes don't really lean on the flavour of the meat heavily, some seafood aside.

I strongly disagree with this statement. Also, I strongly support the staggering.
Aren't we supposed to start a new one today?

Falselogic
08-14-2016, 02:32 PM
We should try Food Club again. But in September when I have a kitchen, and time, and stuff...