PDA

View Full Version : Jelly Belly: The Bean, The Thread

ajr82
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
We've had the discussion a few times, and if there's any single snack product that's worth it's own thread in the Food forum, it's the Jelly Belly. So, favourite flavours, least favourite?

Strawberry jam, juicy pear, peach and wild blackberry are the best flavours.

Lumber Baron
01-27-2010, 02:00 PM
Juicy pear. Accept no substitutes.

Ethan
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
The conflation of "bean" and "thread" in the title make me think of mung bean noodles, AKA bean thread noodles.

Anyway, I am one of those weirdos who does not hate the buttered popcorn flavor. Getting it mixed in with a handful of fruit flavors is disgusting, but when taken alone, I just marvel at how accurately they've captured the essence of chemical movie theater popcorn "butter". It's a miracle of modern science!

Calorie Mate
01-27-2010, 02:12 PM
My dad worked for Jelly Belly for a brief period.

Unrelated: I've totally been to the Jelly Belly factory.

Violentvixen
01-27-2010, 02:27 PM
Anyway, I am one of those weirdos who does not hate the buttered popcorn flavor. Getting it mixed in with a handful of fruit flavors is disgusting, but when taken alone, I just marvel at how accurately they've captured the essence of chemical movie theater popcorn "butter". It's a miracle of modern science!

Also, watermelon.

Their sour collection is good as well.

Falselogic
01-27-2010, 03:00 PM
I don't like jelly beans and the whole jelly belly thing makes no sense to me at all, despite my tour of the JB factory. And numerous attempts by friends to try to get me to see what it is about.

Why would you eat a jelly bean when you can eat a gummi bear?

That's all I'm saying

PapillonReel
01-27-2010, 03:03 PM
Watermelon, Green Apple, Buttered Popcorn, Blueberry, and Juicy Pear are my top five flavours. Mm-mm. :9

DemoWeasel
01-27-2010, 03:13 PM
This thread is actually a witch hunt to see who likes the popcorn flavor.

Sheana
01-27-2010, 03:15 PM
This thread is actually a witch hunt to see who likes the popcorn flavor.

That would be me. For some inexplicable reason, I am all about the popcorn flavored beans.

shivam
01-27-2010, 03:28 PM
i can tell you what i hate---popcorn, chocolate, and coffee. especially when in a random handful together.

Calorie Mate
01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Shivam's completely right.

Zodar
01-27-2010, 03:41 PM
Roasted Marshmallow is the cool flavor for cool people.

Ethan
01-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Besides the mysterious popcorn, I am a big fan of the earthier-tasting fruit flavors like pear and kiwi.

Bubble gum flavor is gross. All things flavored like bubble gum that are not bubble gum are gross. That taste makes me think I wouldn't be swallowing what's in my mouth.

Violentvixen
01-27-2010, 04:31 PM
Licorice ruins everything.

shivam
01-27-2010, 04:33 PM
and by that you mean, it's the only acceptible flavor. i LOVES me some licorice.

Plastic Machine
01-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I got a box of Bean Boozled Jelly Bellies for Christmas from my sister. Me and Jelly Bellies are no longer on speaking terms. Prior to my trauma it was Top Banana though. There's just something about artificial banana flavoring!

Sheana
01-27-2010, 05:19 PM
What's that pink one with the rainbow dots, Tuti Fruiti? That's another big favorite of mine I always hunt out.

Matchstick
01-27-2010, 06:52 PM

Because the texture of gummi bears is nowhere near as pleasing as jelly beans. Because I can't get a giant wad of one flavor of gummi bear (at least that I'm aware of). Because I can't get the flavors I want in gummi bears (see previous "because").

Licorice rocks everything.

Also, cherry.

Ethan
01-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Licorice is delicious.

mopinks
01-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Roasted Marshmallow is the cool flavor for cool people.

*hi5*

my girlfriend does not like jelly beans, but she will gorge herself on the buttered popcorn ones. they are the crossover hit.

I love loving licorice jelly beans, because nobody I know likes them and that means I get to eat ALL OF THEM.

also I really like the jalapeno ones

Nerdy
01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
I'm all for Pomegranate.

Sven
01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
i can tell you what i hate---popcorn, chocolate, and coffee. especially when in a random handful together.

Now I want a mix of candy corn, chocolate chips and coffee beans. It'd be like Cracker Jack for adults.

Super Megaman X
01-27-2010, 10:08 PM
I like all kinds of the unique flavors, like Cappichino and Toasted Marshmallow, and Peanut Butter, but my favorite is Buttered Popcorn. Also, don't get me wrong, I like the fruit flavored ones a lot, but you can get fruit flavored ones in any bag of jelly beans, so the unique ones really stand out to me. (Although, I do gotta admit, even the regular fruit flavors taste better than any generic bean)

Alex
01-27-2010, 10:41 PM
Also, cherry.

The only problem is, there's a possibility it's cinnamon, aka BURNING-flavored.

mopinks
01-27-2010, 10:55 PM
the only non-intentionally-disgusting Jelly Belly flavor I can not stomach is, predictably enough, coconut. the last time I tried to eat one, my mouth violently rejected it.

me and coconut, we do not get along.

ArugulaZ
01-27-2010, 11:23 PM
I don't like jelly beans and the whole jelly belly thing makes no sense to me at all, despite my tour of the JB factory. And numerous attempts by friends to try to get me to see what it is about.

That's all I'm saying

Gummis?! This demands a new thread!

Annnnyway, I dig Jelly Bellys. I was introduced to them in the late 1990s, when I lived in Arizona. They actually had a gumball machine full of them over at a hotel/restaurant where I had briefly worked. I was hooked on them right from the start. I like the citrusy flavors best, but it's very rare for me to find a Jelly Belly bean I don't like.

I'll tell you a story about a related product that was pretty disgusting, though. Jelly Bellys briefly experimented with a product called JBZs, which were M&Ms with flavored shells. In other words, you had the wide assortment of flavors on the outside, with milk chocolate on the inside. You could tell Jelly Bellys hadn't had much experience making chocolate, because it was of poor quality and no matter what flavor you picked, it didn't mix well with the taste of the chocolate. I'd be shocked if they were still making these.

Balrog
01-28-2010, 07:20 AM
Pear, peach, vanilla bean, cinnamon, & apple 4 LYFE

Reinforcements
01-28-2010, 07:39 AM
You know, I realize that to some degree the Bertie Bott's line is just a crass marketing tie-in, but I love the idea that someone at Jelly Belly read Harry Potter and said, "Guys, we have science. We can totally do this, it'll be hilarious." And then they made earwax flavored jelly beans.

We live in a wonderful world.

Wolfgang
01-28-2010, 10:26 AM
You know, I realize that to some degree the Bertie Bott's line is just a crass marketing tie-in, but I love the idea that someone at Jelly Belly read Harry Potter and said, "Guys, we have science. We can totally do this, it'll be hilarious." And then they made earwax flavored jelly beans.

We live in a wonderful world.

+1, golf clap, what have you. No, I haven't had any of them, which is probably why I can still like the concept.

mopinks
01-28-2010, 11:47 AM
the shocking secret of those horrible beans is: some of them aren't that bad! I would buy a bag of the black pepper ones.

the earthworm flavored jelly bean is a bit distressing.

Violentvixen
01-28-2010, 12:21 PM
I'm all for Pomegranate.

Wait, they make that? Since when?!

Pseudonym
01-29-2010, 08:00 AM
I've bought a couple of bags of Bertie Bott's Beans over the years, mainly for the bag. I have all of these intentions to use one as a dice bag, but that never happens as nothing can beat my Crown Royal bag for dice holding power! I usually ended up playing bean eating dares with my siblings with the candy. Vomit bean! Bleah!

Kirin
01-29-2010, 08:12 AM
Bestest: Juicy Pear, Raspberry, Strawberry Daquiri

Still Yummy: Cantaloupe, Cappucino, Mango, Peach, Strawberry Cheesecake, Wild Blackberry, Watermelon

Bleh, yuck: Coconut, Sour Cherry, Very Cherry, Top Banana

Wait, these are new, I need to try them: Pomegranate, Mixed Berry Smoothie

(Assisted by the flavor guide (http://www.jellybelly.com/fun_stuff/official_50_flavors_flavor_guide.aspx))

ajr82
01-29-2010, 08:18 AM
They have Chili Mango flavour now? I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

ajr82
08-21-2010, 11:03 PM
So, it turns out mojito beans taste like toothpaste and are terrible.

Javex
08-25-2010, 08:49 PM
I just recieved a bag of Jelly Belly: Soda Pop Shoppe.

Root Beer Jelly Beans are the best.

Lady
08-25-2010, 09:23 PM
I remember trying a popcorn flavored jelly belly and being absolutely repulsed by how true to flavor it was.

I like the dr. pepper ones

Parish
08-25-2010, 09:37 PM
I went to the Jelly Belly factory a few months ago. Before that, I never knew what pure sugar smelled like.

Traumadore
08-25-2010, 10:07 PM
The nice thing about Jelly Bellies is how condusive to pranks they are. You can mix a small proportion of jalapeno into a bag of green apple, or some garlic in with coconut. You can tell the difference but it just blindsides the people you're sharing with.

Paul le Fou
08-26-2010, 05:30 AM
Man I miss Jelly Bellies. I actually know where I can get some... it's kind of a far drive, but if I'm down at the outlets anyway...

I like the ones that are red inside a green exterior - I think it's watermelon. I always loved Grape Jelly, Root Beer, and Chocolate Pudding (not regular chocolate). There were also some light blue ones with spots.

Truth be told I like almost all of them.

Except that fucking popcorn.