PDA

View Full Version : Soft Drinks

Pages : [1] 2 3

dangerhelvetica
01-28-2010, 11:14 AM
Because we can't be drinking alcohol all the time.

Lemme tell you a little bit about a drink named Moxie.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a44/moxievision/moxie1898.jpg
(I don't think Teddy Roosevelt ever officially endorsed it)

Moxie, like Coca-Cola and other currently popular sodas, initially started out as a medicinal nerve tonic, something intended to cure-what-ails-ya from the heebie-jeebies to "softening of the brain" (seriously). The name was supposedly taken from a Native American term, and due to the drink's, uhm, uniquely bracing taste the word's become a synonym for boldness, at least among people who like to talk all old-timey.

http://foxandmaus.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/d60ted-williams-moxie-posters.jpg

It was president Calvin Coolidge's favorite drink. The drink was once a serious competitor to Coca-Cola but over time it became more and more marginalized and regional. It can still be found in stores around northern New England, though it recently changed logos to include merely the text and avoids including the man pointing towards you, demanding you to drink it.

http://samablog.robsama.com/images/moxie.gif

It's somewhat hard to describe the flavor, as it seems to taste different to everybody; often times I've heard it called medicinal, sometimes like a cream soda, others "I'm not taking another sip of that". I tend to go through phases where I hate it and I love it.

http://www.whataboutclients.com/archives/MoxieBoy.gif

So, if you ever get the chance, give it a try. Or the androgynous Moxie mascot will come and find you. It's up to you.

Calorie Mate
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
But is there Diet Moxie?

mopinks
01-28-2010, 11:20 AM
my bizarre old-timey soft drink of choice is celery soda.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/ranchuu/cel-rey.jpg
it's real nice!

the eternal king of soft drinks is still root beer.

dangerhelvetica
01-28-2010, 11:22 AM
But is there Diet Moxie?

http://mainegoodies.com/beverages/images/moxie2.jpg

Yup! That reminds me actually, they've recently put out an energy drink, I'm guessing banking on the whole "moxie = energy" association. Being somewhat adverse to the whole energy drink concept, I haven't tried it, myself.

shivam
01-28-2010, 11:23 AM
http://images.starcraftmazter.net/4chan/commie/leninade.jpg

Ethan
01-28-2010, 11:26 AM
Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray is so good. As far as I know, Hot Doug's in Chicago is the only place to find it outside of NYC.

Reed's Ginger Brew is my usual soft drink.

Wolfgang
01-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Moxie

Moxie tastes like Coke that somebody's ground a bunch of aspirin up into. Coke with an intensely bitter aftertaste. It almost doesn't seem like it'd be a New England thing, really, we tend to go for sweet.

Reinforcements
01-28-2010, 11:32 AM
My drink of choice when I'm feeling health-conscious enough to avoid both sugary sodas and diet drinks is a club soda, preferably with a slice of lime.

Also, ginger ale and celery soda are both really easy to make at home. Try it!

Tomm Guycot
01-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Pepsi Throwback, son.

I remember when it used to be called Pepsi.

Lucas
01-28-2010, 11:39 AM
The guy at BevMo told me that straight Moxie just isn't made any more. That was a sad day for me.

They didn't even have any Leninade in stock that day! That trip to BevMo sucked.

Falselogic
01-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Diet Coke is my go to caffeinated beverage. When I need soda but don't need caffeine it's all about ginger beers. I don't care which, the sharper and spicier the taste the better though.

the secret best soda is Dr. Pepper

Violentvixen
01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Leninade

I have a bottle of this on my desk! My coworkers always find it amusing.

Anyway, the best soda is Dry Soda, (http://www.drysoda.com/) Lavender and Juniper especially:

http://www.seattlehomesmag.com/images/2007/Aug2007/igt_Soda.jpg

Wolfgang
01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
the secret best soda is Diet Dr. Pepper

...because it pretty much just tastes like Dr. Pepper, but without the calories. Although I still can't drink it at night because of the caffeine. So my go-tos are typically caffeine free diet colas, diet root beers or (seldomly) diet orange sodas.

Over the summer I had a love affair with Diet Cherry 7-Up which, predictably, tasted like a light, clean Shirley Temple, and it was fantastic on a hot humid night. I burned myself out on it though, and haven't really wanted it in months. I went through a similar jag with Diet Green Tea Canada Dry ginger ale which is excellent,

You know what was awesome, though? Mountain Dew Pitch Black. It was black soda that was really black, and not in the caramel-brown-when-light-shines-through-it way colas are. It was black as fuck, and I felt a little sinister drinking it.

Red Hedgehog
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray is so good. As far as I know, Hot Doug's in Chicago is the only place to find it outside of NYC.

Celery soda isn't even that easy to find inside NYC. It's a shame.

Dadgum Roi
01-28-2010, 12:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that I've seen cel-ray in the little Dr. Brown's line up inside the deli case at the grocery store here.

Parish
01-28-2010, 12:52 PM
Diet Coke gets me through the day, but every Michigan-born child knows that Vernor's is the best. I love that there's a place in my neighborhood that actually sells Boston Coolers made with real Vernor's. Esoteric and totally out of place for San Francisco, but all the more wonderful for it.

Cyrael
01-28-2010, 01:03 PM
Coke for the regular day, Irn-bru when I can find it. There is (was?) a Scottish Import store in SLC that had it. I haven't been there in a few years though /:

Jeanie
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Diet Coke gets me through the day, but every Michigan-born child knows that Vernor's is the best.

Thank you, yes! I was going to post that but now I don't have to.

Aleanil
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
Diet Coke gets me through the day, but every Michigan-born child knows that Vernor's is the best. I love that there's a place in my neighborhood that actually sells Boston Coolers made with real Vernor's. Esoteric and totally out of place for San Francisco, but all the more wonderful for it.

Good lordie, yes! This man knows his stuff! I make it a point to stop at Meijer's in Michigan whenever I end up there and stock up on Vernor's. There's one small grocery store here in Kansas that stocks it, but at $4 / 6-pack it takes some major cravings for me to cave in. It's the best ginger ale that exists, delicious even if you hate ginger ale.

Calorie Mate
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Diet Coke > most things, but Diet Dr. Pepper trumps 'em all. Also, has anyone else tried Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper? It's good stuff! I'm the only one I know that mixes whiskey with it, but there you go.

What kind of soda is Vernor's?

Falselogic
01-28-2010, 01:29 PM
How could I forget! That the best soda I can never find and have to import from Brazil or have friends pick up for me int he cooler cities in which they live:

Guarana Antarctica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica_Guarana)

This is hands down the very best carbonated beverage ever made! I only forget about it because I rarely get my hands on it!

If you ever see it, do yourself a favor and pick up a can and drink it, you can thank me later!

Lumber Baron
01-28-2010, 01:36 PM
http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/LumberBaron/Stewarts.jpg

So smooth.

ArugulaZ
01-28-2010, 01:50 PM
Vernor's used to be a lot better before they took out the stevia. I ranted about this in a thread a couple of years ago, but the short story is that stevia is a spicy natural sugar substitute that Monsanto lobbied to have taken off the market so it could sell aspertame. Stevia was taken out of Vernor's in the early 1990s, and the flavor profile changed drastically as a result... it was no longer as fizzy, no longer as bold. I still drink it from time to time, but it's just not the same now that it doesn't singe off your eyebrows and nosehairs when you open the can.

Stevia's back on the market, but only as a processed extract that companies can patent. Any food with natural stevia in it has to be marketed as a "diet supplement." Yeah, screw you too, Monsanto.

...anyway. There was a brand of budget sodas called Towne Club, also from Michigan, that was pretty popular in the 1980s. Back in 1984, my parents brought home a case with a rainbow of flavors inside. The fruit punch was so caustic you could use it for Drain-O, but I remember some of the other flavors being pretty good... and man, there were a whole lot of them! The variety is what made this soda work, I think... Towne Club had flavors like sarsaparilla that you weren't likely to find anywhere else.

CMate: It's a ginger beer. I stop short of calling it ginger ale because it's not as crisp as Canada Dry or Schweppes... instead, it's hot and spicy. The original formula was REALLY strong, but the heat is still there in the new recipe; it's just toned down. Imagine a ginger ale with redhot jawbreakers dissolving at the bottom of the glass and you'd be on the right track.

Alixsar
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Everyone knows that Dr. Pepper is the best soda. Everyone.

Ethan
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Vernor's... spicy? Really? Last time I had it, I thought it was kind of like a combination of Schweppes ginger ale and Sprite. I detected almost no ginger spice.

Tanto
01-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Everyone knows that Dr. Pepper is the best soda. Everyone.

Parish
01-28-2010, 02:13 PM
Vernor's... spicy? Really? Last time I had it, I thought it was kind of like a combination of Schweppes ginger ale and Sprite. I detected almost no ginger spice.

They've weakened it over the years. It used to have this amazing potency. You'd accidentally breathe a bit of the fizz and double over into paroxyms of coughing.

`Hrist
01-28-2010, 02:32 PM
I love me some Dr. Pepper, but I really ought to stop drinking soft drinks. Awful, awful, awful for your health.

Wolfgang
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM
I love me some Dr. Pepper, but I really ought to stop drinking soft drinks. Awful, awful, awful for your health.

Aside from the corn syrup/sugar, how so? I drink diet all the time and I don't have any health issues. I'm "built like a brick", as it were.

Posaune
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Iowa isn't interesting enough to have a neat soda..

Violentvixen
01-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Celery soda isn't even that easy to find inside NYC. It's a shame.

I was not aware celery soda existed and now I desperately want it.

Wolfgang
01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
I was not aware celery soda existed and now I desperately want it.

Let Alton show you how! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbqZRh-QDc)

`Hrist
01-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Aside from the corn syrup/sugar, how so? I drink diet all the time and I don't have any health issues. I'm "built like a brick", as it were.

They destroy your bones, and all that acid is murder on your teeth. For women in particular, soda is a major contributor to osteoporosis

Bergasa
01-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Green Tea Canada Dry ginger ale

This stuff is great!

Marfy
01-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Vernor's is excellent, but as everyone's said, it used to be better. I really like Squirt, which is like a sharper tasting Sprite. It used to be something we only got when visiting the grandparents in Buffalo, but it appeared in the southeast years ago now.

I have acquired a fondness for UK-style lemonade. It's clear and carbonated and tastes exactly like lemonade in the US. "Cloudy" lemonade is usually mixed with lime here, and just doesn't taste right. Ginger beer is everywhere over here, and most pubs carry one or two kinds of alcoholic ginger beer! It is my thing. Icy Lemon Fanta is also a thing here, and it is delicious.

And you can't talk about soda in Scotland without mentioning Irn-Bru, Scotland's other national drink.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/peektureshow/irn-bru.gif

It has the ubiquity that Coke has in most of the US (and has quinine in it, so supposedly it's excellent for hangovers). The flavor is really unique and no one can quite agree. It definitely has hints of bubblegum and cream soda. I think it tastes exactly like Big Red.

Merus
01-28-2010, 04:00 PM
I usually just drink Coke, because I'm boring (HFCS Coke is foul, though). I don't know if we have any special local soft drinks. Maybe Solo - but then, the concept of a lemon soft drink is not exactly new, is it.

Dawnswalker
01-28-2010, 04:04 PM
I used to be obsessed with Green Apple Jones Soda, but it's kind of expensive here, and neither of the convenience stores by my home carry it.

Lately, I've been annoyed because I like Coca-Cola, but my sister's boyfriend only likes Pepsi, so she insists that everyone must stock the place with Pepsi, and not Coke, when he comes to visit. IT IS MY BODY MY CHOICE I WILL DRINK WHAT I WANT.

Ethan
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM
So, I watched that Alton Brown video on celery and was then inspired to go grab a stalk (which I only bought to use in chicken stock), put some peanut butter on it, and eat it. I've hated celery since I was a little kid... but I apparently don't hate it anymore. Celery was one of the last foods on my list of foods I don't like, so this is good! Still on the list: iceberg lettuce, raw green bell peppers, blood.

Wolfgang
01-28-2010, 04:45 PM
So, I watched that Alton Brown video on celery and was then inspired to go grab a stalk (which I only bought to use in chicken stock), put some peanut butter on it, and eat it.

Extra fun: put a couple raisins on the top as well.

Ethan
01-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Oh, I know all about it. I've lived a life of wanting to eat ants on a log, because it looks so fun, and then being repelled when I remember that damn celery part. But no more!

Also, I'm making that celery syrup as soon as I can get to a store that has celery seeds. I wonder if cheesecloth is fine enough to strain the seeds out.

Eetzamii
01-28-2010, 05:05 PM
They destroy your bones, and all that acid is murder on your teeth. For women in particular, soda is a major contributor to osteoporosisNot only that, but most soft drinks contain sodium benzoate, which reacts with absorbic acid (vitamin C) to form benzene, a carcinogen.

Also: sugar. I quit soft drinks so I could eat more jelly beans and Sour Patch Kids. A fine trade-off if I do say so.

Nevertheless--Sun Drop is the best, followed by Dr. Pepper.

Pseudonym
01-28-2010, 05:28 PM
We have a restaurant in town where you can watch them bottle their house soda while you eat! It's called Fitz's. (http://www.fitzsrootbeer.com/) Unfortunately, I don't like root beer and that's their specialty. And every time I go to eat there I can't have soda because the only soda they have on tap is stuff I dislike such as root beer and orange. If they would only throw me a bone with a simple cola or something!

The king of sodas for me is Dr. Pepper! I hear there is a Throwback style version out. I'd really like to try that, but I'm not sure its distributed to my area.

I read the other day that several decades ago people liked to heat up Dr. Pepper like it was a hot cider and drink it at the holidays. I'm not sure if that would be good or if it would just be a waste of good soda.

Sanagi
01-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I was disappointed to find out that Moxie is still in business(or was bought out and revamped by some larger company, I suppose). I'd like to be able to say "You got moxie, kid!" without promoting a brand unintentionally.

Sven
01-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Current fave is Diet Coke with Lime. Although I bought Pepsi Lime today just to get a comparison.

Torgo
01-28-2010, 06:09 PM
They destroy your bones, and all that acid is murder on your teeth. For women in particular, soda is a major contributor to osteoporosis
Not every soda has phosphoric acid, which is the cause of most of the health problems you're talking about. In fact, I'm pretty sure most of them don't. It's mainly colas and Dr. Pepper. When in doubt, check the ingredients!

Anyway, the answer is Henry Weinhard's Root Beer.

leninade.jpg
Holy crap I must have this.

redstuff
01-28-2010, 06:10 PM
I only really like Ginger Ale, which sadly I havent been able to find in Korea outside of some cafes. I drank it like crazy in Japan just because i could.

ArugulaZ
01-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Anybody been to the World of Coke? It's an hour long advertisement you pay eight bucks to see, but at the end there are refreshments! You can imbibe drinks from all over the world, including a ginger ale that makes Vernor's seem like tap water and an aperitif that invades your tongue and strangles your taste buds to death. There was even an orange-flavored cola!

Balrog
01-28-2010, 06:57 PM
I like Coke, Cherry Coke, Vanilla Coke, Dr. Pepper, Strawberry (Welch's), Grape (Crush), Orange Drank (any company will do) and my personal favorite is Peach (Nehi).

dangerhelvetica
01-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I was disappointed to find out that Moxie is still in business(or was bought out and revamped by some larger company, I suppose). I'd like to be able to say "You got moxie, kid!" without promoting a brand unintentionally.

Oh, c'mon. It's like super small time. subsidiary of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company of Northern New England Inc

Matchstick
01-28-2010, 08:42 PM
Guarana Antarctica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctica_Guarana)

I love that specific Guarana. Whenever I go to a Brazilian place, I specifically ask if they have Antarctica. If not, I don't get it. The usual alternate (whose name escapes me, but is in a yellow can) is terrible.

Anybody been to the World of Coke? It's an hour long advertisement you pay eight bucks to see, but at the end there are refreshments! You can imbibe drinks from all over the world, including a ginger ale that makes Vernor's seem like tap water and an aperitif that invades your tongue and strangles your taste buds to death.

I have been there. If the aperitif is the one I'm thinking of (Fanta Bitter Aperitif from Italy), then it is the foulest drink I've ever tasted and everybody I tricked into trying it agreed.

When I drank soda, I subsisted on Dr. Pepper. When traveling in Europe, I get Fanta Orange. It's so delightfully tart.

Ethan
01-28-2010, 09:06 PM
The Cuban sandwich place I sometimes go to on my lunch break has Guaraná Antarctica – among other rarities like Champ's Cola, Inca Kola, and Materva.

Know what's totally awesome? San Pellegrino Chinotto. It's impossible to find around here, but I found it in a vending machine once in Toronto. I couldn't believe it.

teekun
01-28-2010, 09:20 PM
Dr Pepper used to be my absolutely favorite soft drink, but I think Cherry Dr Pepper may have dethroned it.

ArugulaZ
01-28-2010, 09:38 PM
I have been there. If the aperitif is the one I'm thinking of (Fanta Bitter Aperitif from Italy), then it is the foulest drink I've ever tasted and everybody I tricked into trying it agreed.

Well, it was called Beverly when I visited, but everything else you said was accurate. There was a mother with two young children at the World Refreshment Station, and after the four year old had a taste of the aperitif, he first made a face, then forced his two year old brother to drink it. I LOLed.

I think aperitif is supposed to be a palate cleanser for wine tasting, but it seemed more like a palate destroyer to me.

Lumber Baron
01-28-2010, 09:49 PM
Dr Pepper used to be my absolutely favorite soft drink, but I think Cherry Dr Pepper may have dethroned it.
Here's the thing with Dr. Pepper's recent "23 Flavors" marketing scheme: am I supposed to believe that I really need that 24th flavor in there, or even that cherry isn't already one of those 23 flavors?

teekun
01-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Here's the thing with Dr. Pepper's recent "23 Flavors" marketing scheme: am I supposed to believe that I really need that 24th flavor in there, or even that cherry isn't already one of those 23 flavors?

I'm not aware of any campaign, since the only Dr Pepper I can get my hands on is imported, but I don't care how they justify it, all I know is that the cherry stuff is fantastic and tastes different from regular Dr Pepper.

Wolfgang
01-28-2010, 10:06 PM

Uh, no. It's pepper. Can't you taste it? Fresh ground, right outta the mill.

Violentvixen
01-28-2010, 10:35 PM
Anybody been to the World of Coke? It's an hour long advertisement you pay eight bucks to see, but at the end there are refreshments! You can imbibe drinks from all over the world, including a ginger ale that makes Vernor's seem like tap water and an aperitif that invades your tongue and strangles your taste buds to death. There was even an orange-flavored cola!

They were out of this horrid concoction when I visited. We were all kind of disappointed because we wanted to try it.

Lady
01-28-2010, 10:54 PM
http://www.snowy-day.net/pictures/things/blueskysoda

There are two places in Arkansas to obtain Blue Sky Soda. It's really interesting, although maybe not teh best evarrr

ArugulaZ
01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
You guys ever had CherryWine? Someone at the college I attended let me have a swig. Apparently it comes from the South. I don't eat cherries (can't stand squishy, juicy spheres in my mouth; it makes me think of eyeballs) but I imagine this is a lot like how a cherry would taste. I've never had anything like it in a soda and it would probably be a great once-in-a-while drink, like Squirt.

Comb Stranger
01-29-2010, 12:02 AM
Know what's totally awesome? San Pellegrino Chinotto. It's impossible to find around here, but I found it in a vending machine once in Toronto. I couldn't believe it.

Have you looked in the "ethnic" foods section of your local supermarket? I know my old Acme sold it by the sixpack.

The best soda I ever had was a local cream from Mystic Seaport. The brand itself escapes me, and "that one with a sailing ship on the label" isn't the best descriptor.

Matchstick
01-29-2010, 12:03 AM
You guys ever had CherryWine? Someone at the college I attended let me have a swig. Apparently it comes from the South. I don't eat cherries (can't stand squishy, juicy spheres in my mouth; it makes me think of eyeballs) but I imagine this is a lot like how a cherry would taste. I've never had anything like it in a soda and it would probably be a great once-in-a-while drink, like Squirt.

Do you mean Cheerwine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheerwine)? If so, I have had it and I did like it. It's the closest alternative to Dr. Pepper I've ever tasted.

DemoWeasel
01-29-2010, 12:07 AM
Does horchata count as a soft drink?

Lucas
01-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Heck yeah it does. Mmmm, horchata. Though you're kind of a jerk for making me realize how long it's been since I had any, jerk >=|

ArugulaZ
01-29-2010, 01:00 AM
Do you mean Cheerwine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheerwine)? If so, I have had it and I did like it. It's the closest alternative to Dr. Pepper I've ever tasted.

Yeah, that's the one! Sorry about that. It was pretty tasty, but I'm not sure I'd compare it directly to Dr. Pepper. The cherry flavor is a bit more pronounced.

Daikaiju
01-29-2010, 05:28 AM
The ultimate cola no longer exists.
http://www.foodtown.co.nz/ImageServer/product_images/big/9311493500023.jpg
Cold brewed with filtered water and cane sugar. No artifical ingrediants. A king among colas.

Wolfgang
01-29-2010, 09:08 AM
Cold brewed with filtered water and cane sugar. No artifical ingrediants. A king among colas.

"We can't even pay our bills, and they're drinking Royal Crown Cola!"

benjibot
01-29-2010, 09:17 AM
Man, it's all about Jarritos: "A basket of fruit in every bottle!"

The Mexicans in my neighborhood are all about the Squirt. I see folks carrying cases of it around on a daily basis. It's good stuff.

I've had Moxie before, in Maine I believe. The weird thing about Moxie, aside from the taste, is it was made in a southern state and shipped up north. Kind of like Malört.

Soft drinks are another thing I cannot resist trying something new. Every single time I find some weird regional thing, or someone comes out with some crazy new flavor I must try it.

If you're mixing with alcohol, Izze and Dry sodas are your best bets. I had some of the Dry Rhubarb and it went surprisingly great with rum.

Wolfgang
01-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Soft drinks are another thing I cannot resist trying something new. Every single time I find some weird regional thing, or someone comes out with some crazy new flavor I must try it.

I had some Pomegranate 7-Up over the holidays, and it was... well, I finished the bottle, but that was enough, I think. The problem with 7-Up and Sprite, and other varieties of lemon-lime is they're too sweet, without enough tartness for me. You know what got it right? Slice.

dangerhelvetica
01-29-2010, 12:21 PM

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/dcanimated/images/thumb/4/4c/Conspiracies.jpg/275px-Conspiracies.jpg

As I suspected. Twenty-four flavors!

jeditanuki
01-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Guys! Guys! Guys! There's a 'throwback' Dr Pepper out now made with sugar instead of HFCS. It is wonderful!

http://www.bevreview.com/2009/12/14/coming-soon-heritage-dr-pepper-with-sugar/

Daikaiju
01-30-2010, 04:29 AM
Now if only Coke would get a clue.

Wolfgang
01-30-2010, 11:31 AM
Now if only Coke would get a clue.

Man, Mexican Coke has been doing that all along. It's not hard to come by. Get yourself to a Mexican grocery store.

Pombar
01-30-2010, 11:33 AM
You know when you've been Tango'd because it is more delicious than most

Destil
01-30-2010, 12:23 PM
Man, Mexican Coke has been doing that all along. It's not hard to come by. Get yourself to a Mexican grocery store.
I buy this stuff in bulk at the local Cosco. Can also pick it up at the local corner store. Hell I'm drinking one right now.

I drink way too much normal Coke at work, since it's free. I still drink far too much soda, though.

Dadgum Roi
01-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Cheerwine: This is a native NC drink, although it's more of a Piedmont thing than an eastern one. It's pretty good.

Sunkist: The best chaser for moonshine.

Sun Drop: Revel in the whitetrashness.

Jarritos: Mandarina is my go-to, but I like to try some of the weird flavors when I come across them.

Lucas
01-30-2010, 01:23 PM
I got some of that Dry soda yesterday, and I'm trying out the lemongrass right now. I know it's supposed to be delicately flavored, but it honestly tastes like straight tonic water to me. Maybe with a slight aftertaste of envelope glue.

I'll report on the other flavors I got later.

Gwrrrk
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
I have this weird liking for black cherry cola.

Too bad its really hard to find in Ontario!

Violentvixen
01-30-2010, 04:05 PM
I got some of that Dry soda yesterday, and I'm trying out the lemongrass right now. I know it's supposed to be delicately flavored, but it honestly tastes like straight tonic water to me. Maybe with a slight aftertaste of envelope glue.

I'll report on the other flavors I got later.

Ack, I should have warned you. I think Lemongrass and kumquat suck.

Lucas
01-30-2010, 04:29 PM
And kumquat's the one I was looking forward to :(

Daikaiju
01-31-2010, 06:38 PM
I miss Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak. Canada Dry now makes it under their label but it seems to be missing a certain something.

dangerhelvetica
02-06-2010, 05:11 PM
Wow guys. The Moxie energy drink is nightmarish.

Paul le Fou
02-08-2010, 12:25 AM
My favorites are real-suger real-ingredients small-batch ginger ale and root beer. Including Sarsaparilla etc. and Ginger Beer.

Here in Japan I'm rather partial to C.C. Lemon, and it's not only available here but I only ever bothered to drink it here but I am currently gone crazy over grape fanta.

However, I don't drink soft drinks commonly anyway - I had waaaaay too much in High School, and in college it got horrible what with an unlimited fountain in the dining hall. One day I realized I was drinking the equivalent of like 3 cans of soda per meal on average. So I quit outright, cold turkey. Successfully, too! I still have soft drinks now and then but try to avoid them unless I get cravings. Real sugar in the Japanese ones instead of HFSC helps (or doesn't help depending on your point of view).

EDIT: it comes out of a fountain so I count it. Horchata and Orange Bang were my lifeblood in LA.

Chu
02-08-2010, 12:35 AM
I really loved mandarin Jarritos when I was in college. I would usually get a bottle of the stuff when I got a huge pile of delicious $10 nachos at a place called Freebirds. Fresh and custom made every time!

But this isn't a thread about me making myself sad about food I can't have, it's about soft drinks. I try not to drink too much soda, but I've been pretty happy with the different selection of drinks available here in Japan. Like Paul mentioned, C.C. Lemon is pretty good, and apparently has a lot of vitamin C. I like Mitsuya Cider, which is like ramune except cheaper because it doesn't come in a gimmicky bottle. There's another brand called Lucky Cider which is pretty much the same thing, but a bit sweeter. I think I like that brand more but I don't see it around as much. Melon-flavored soda is always a good choice when I'm at a place that offers a drink bar (I always think it looks like I'm drinking ectoplasm or something radioactive though). And two weeks ago, I had Apple Fanta. Also great!

Deserving of its own paragraph is Calpis. I don't like it when it's carbonated, but I think its regular form still counts as a soft drink. In theory Calpis sounds gross (a yogurt-flavored soft drink? ew!) but I seriously adore the stuff. I only had a little of it before moving to Japan, but now that I'm here it's hard not to guzzle whatever I come across. ...okay, I'm not THAT bad. But I do love Calpis and it's even great in popsicle form! Can't say I care much for fruit-flavored Calpis though.

The one thing that sucks is how you pretty much have to go to an import store to find root beer. :(

Nobuyuki
02-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Red Bull Cola is so good, and tastes nothing like Red Bull. No HFCS, no artificial ingredients, though it's a bit expensive so I don't drink it so often. When I was in Munich I remember ordering some kind of super spicy (as in spices, not heat) cola in a restaurant, and that's what Red Bull Cola reminds me of.

Marfy
02-08-2010, 01:53 AM
There's been Apple Fanta in metro Atlanta for years now but I haven't ever tried it. It was pretty popular when I worked at Publix, though. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Meditative_Zebra
02-08-2010, 02:25 AM
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Orangina yet. It's the best soda that you can't get in North America.

http://www.oranginaschweppes.com/dynamique/base/brands/orangina-visu.jpg

I had Orangina when I went to Europe and when I came home seriously debated ordering a 12-pack of the stuff online for something like $30.

The drink itself is an orange-flavored soda (obviously) that hails from France. It's light and crisp, whereas drinks like Sunkist or Crush seem much heavier and syrupy. It's a great drink even if it comes in a weird bottle.

Matchstick
02-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I can't believe that no one has mentioned Orangina yet. It's the best soda that you can't get in North America.

Orangina is awesome, but you definitely can get it in North America. I've seen it in a number of different cities.

ajr82
02-08-2010, 08:39 AM
I miss Stewart's Cherries and Cream Soda flavour so much. I can easily find their black cherry, or the Orange and Cream, or the key lime soda, but Cherries and Cream Soda seems to have disappeared forever.

Lucas
02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I've gotten Orangina from Trader Joe's a few times. I usually prefer the sparkling lemonade from down the aisle (used to be Geyer Brothers, but they changed the brand name, I think) though.

Matchstick
02-08-2010, 08:59 AM
In the vein of Orangina is also this stuff (which I also love):
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51FWRTHhjbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Jeanie
02-08-2010, 09:17 AM
sparkling lemonade

Sunkist makes a Sparkling Lemonade that is sooo good with vodka.

ThornGhost
02-08-2010, 10:05 AM
Dr. Enuf is a super local East Tennessee brand with a big following in specific areas. It kind of tastes like Sprite, but it is made with pure cane sugar and used to be sold as a "cure all". Good stuff if you can find it!

NevznachaY
02-08-2010, 10:35 AM
I'll second Orangina and Red Bull Cola. Other great colas are:

Afri-Cola (also known as "The Nazi Cola")
http://popsop.com/wp-content/uploads/afri_cola.jpg

Cola Blak (deathly to your heart, but awesome to the extreme - at least for me; it seems to be an acquired taste)
http://oranchak.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/blak-cola.jpg

I can't believe that no people from the UK mentioned this:
http://ejtaal.net/fun/hackers-home/Vimto_230x350.jpg

As well as this:
http://joshinthecity.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/ribena600conc-jpg.jpeg

Germany and Austria have this heavenly concoction:
http://www.austrianfood.net/i/almdudler.jpg

France has a lot of interesting brands - but, unfortunately, I forgot all the names (Diabolo?).

There are crazy Russian soft drinks as well!
For starters, there's the ages-old kvas:
http://chefcook.ru/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/%D0%BA%D0%B2%D0%B0%D1%81-%D1%87%D0%B5%D1%84.jpg

Basically, it's fermented (and, therefore, carbonated) liquid bread. It's very popular.

Then, for example, there's Baikal, that worked as a cola substitute in the USSR. It includes eleuterococcus, a mild hallucinogen!
http://www.bbinterus.com/images/baykal_2vida_000.jpg

ArugulaZ
02-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I was never brave enough to try Coca-Cola Blak when it was here in the United States. Now that it's not here, I'm kicking myself for not giving it a shot.

So, is it common in Russian households to hang clusters of bagels from the ceiling? O_o;

Aranciata is a great beverage, although mine came in less ornate blue cans. You know what's really good, though? Ramune. I bought a few bottles from a place called Asian Food Grocer a week ago... all orange, and all incredibly tasty. I wish this were easier to get in the United States. Meijer was carrying a knockoff in its international food section but it was a pale imitation of the real thing, with a boring and limited selection of flavors.

Meditative_Zebra
02-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Orangina is awesome, but you definitely can get it in North America. I've seen it in a number of different cities.

Yeah, I've gotten Orangina from Trader Joe's a few times.

Orangina, the drink you can only get outside of North America.

Orangina, the drink you can only get in North America by mail order.

Orangine, the drink you can only get if your city has stores cool enough to stock it. Seriously, you can get Orangina at Trader Joe's? That's awesome. Too bad that the nearest Trader Joe's is 500 miles away from me.

Nobuyuki
02-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I still miss Coke Blak. It was a much more subtle taste than I would've expected but still really unique.

NevznachaY
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
So, is it common in Russian households to hang clusters of bagels from the ceiling? O_o;

Those are not bagels, these are, um, сушки (sushkas? no idea!); the small, dried version.

ThornGhost
02-08-2010, 11:37 AM
Man Coke Blak was an unsavory thing I don't even know what you all are talking about.

Knight
02-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I stopped drinking soft drinks regularly after almost a year of living with some of my old roommates. They would keep stealing them, and both would deny it. I mostly drank Dr. Pepper, and had originally tried switching to Diet Dr. Pepper after accidentally getting one in a vending machine and discovering I actually liked it better than the regular version, but they eventually started stealing that too. So I just stopped drinking soda since even confrontation didn't stop them. After a few months, I didn't miss it anymore.

However, I still like some of the better tasting ones, I occasionally get some. For some reason, Coke tastes way better when it comes out of a glass bottle, so I always pick up a few packs of the Christmas themed ones when they go on clearance. And of course, I love Pepsi Throwback. I only have one 12-pack left in my pantry, and I'm kind of reluctant to get into it.

I was never brave enough to try Coca-Cola Blak when it was here in the United States. Now that it's not here, I'm kicking myself for not giving it a shot.
This. I always saw it, and I wanted to try it, but I always put it off, and now it's gone.

I'll try and keep an eye out for Orangina and try it the next time I see it. I remember seeing it a lot in a grocery store, but I have no idea when or where it was.

Lumber Baron
02-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Orangine, the drink you can only get if your city has stores cool enough to stock it. Seriously, you can get Orangina at Trader Joe's? That's awesome. Too bad that the nearest Trader Joe's is 500 miles away from me.
I found Orangina at the Food4Less today. That's a used food store, man. Where do you live anyway?

Meditative_Zebra
02-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I found Orangina at the Food4Less today. That's a used food store, man. Where do you live anyway?

Used food? Ewww.

It kind of sucks living in flyover country. All the cool stuff seems to stick to the coasts. And Oklahoma is about as far away from the coast as you can get.

Red Hedgehog
02-09-2010, 12:04 AM
I miss Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak. Canada Dry now makes it under their label but it seems to be missing a certain something.

No kidding. The only black cherry soda that's widely available in New York is Doc Brown's which is good, but is just not the same thing.

Frank's Black Cherry Wishniak forever!

Marfy
02-09-2010, 04:01 AM

Wait,, what? Not actual used food? You can't buy half a tomato that's been sitting in a refrigerator for weeks, or a box of instant oatmeal from 1996 with three of the sachets missing, right? Please say that's not what this place is.

Dizzy
02-09-2010, 04:58 AM

Cola Blak (deathly to your heart, but awesome to the extreme - at least for me; it seems to be an acquired taste)

Ooh! I hate Coke/Pepsi/et al. but I have to try these!

Paul le Fou
02-09-2010, 06:01 AM
Coke black was fantastic. Tastes great, super-wired!

Suntory has a line of "sparkling" drinks. (I think these are all the same line.) Recently was sparkling white grape juice, i.e. white grape soda. It was great! I am currently drinking the Chocolate Sparkling. It is... it's not bad! I guess.

Also, pepsi comes out with special flavors here. Currently available is Azuki pepsi. Azuki are sweet red beans usually used in desserts (this one is actually not horrible, just befuddling). Previously was Shiso - a bitter mint-family (not minty) leaf often eaten with sushi. Some summers ago was Cucumber. Apparently there is also pepsi white, which is yogurt-flavored.

On the other end of this horrifying spectrum, you can still get Pepsi Twist here. Win some, lose some.

Lumber Baron
02-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Wait,, what? Not actual used food? You can't buy half a tomato that's been sitting in a refrigerator for weeks, or a box of instant oatmeal from 1996 with three of the sachets missing, right? Please say that's not what this place is.
No, it's a derisive term for grocery outlets, and other grocery stores that are cheap, slightly sketchy, and all the food is still in the cardboard pallet box they were shipped in. Food4Less is great though; the selection is great and they have a huge bulk dry goods section.

pence
02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
There's a store-brand soda at shoprite called Champaña de Cola that tastes like something that would be served at someone's Chuck E Cheese birthday party. I feel like I should be playing Spider Stompin' while I drink this, it's seriously cotton candy.

Comb Stranger convinced me to buy a 3L bottle because that's the smallest amount of Champaña de Cola that can be purchased.

Lucas
02-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Coke Blak was great. Not as funny tasting as you might expect, and half a bottle would leave me wired all day.

Marfy
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
No, it's a derisive term for grocery outlets, and other grocery stores that are cheap, slightly sketchy, and all the food is still in the cardboard pallet box they were shipped in. Food4Less is great though; the selection is great and they have a huge bulk dry goods section.

Oh, good to know. I was really horrified for a little while there.

Meditative_Zebra
02-10-2010, 12:47 PM
Has anyone ever had Barq's red creme soda? My dad says he has fond memories of this from years ago. I've tried to find some for him, but without any success.

Alternatively, are there any red creme sodas that are as good or better than the Barq's?

ThornGhost
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Does anybody live where you can still get RC Edge? It disappeared from our local distributors, but research online leads me to believe it's still available in limited markets.

It's gross and tastes like table pepper and most of the time the 2-liters are muddy for some reason but I drank an unseemly amount of it back when it was available.

ajr82
02-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Has anyone ever had Barq's red creme soda? My dad says he has fond memories of this from years ago. I've tried to find some for him, but without any success.

Alternatively, are there any red creme sodas that are as good or better than the Barq's?

Red cream soda is by far the most prevalent kind in Canada. Other than Jones, I can't really think of any other clear cream sodas you can find in most stores here. Crush is alright, but probably not as good as Barq's. I seem to remember Stewart's having a really good red cream soda.

Comb Stranger
02-10-2010, 04:54 PM
My old ACME carried Orangina, and I've seen it all over the place. I didn't realize it was rare.

Also, Coke Blak was great, except that it was like $2.50 for an 8oz bottle. It wasn't THAT great.

Red Hedgehog
02-10-2010, 10:49 PM
My old ACME carried Orangina, and I've seen it all over the place. I didn't realize it was rare.

It isn't. At least in the NYC-Philly corridor.

Violentvixen
02-10-2010, 11:02 PM

I'm intrigued by this Afri-cola thing. I remember trying the coffee Coke and not having any real opinion of it. I can't even remember how it tasted now.

To be fair, they also have a lot of things that are VERY close to the expiration date.

Red cream soda is by far the most prevalent kind in Canada. Other than Jones, I can't really think of any other clear cream sodas you can find in most stores here. Crush is alright, but probably not as good as Barq's. I seem to remember Stewart's having a really good red cream soda.

Oh man, how could I forget this stuff. I practically lived off it in high school. These days it sends me into seizures, although I have tried the green apple stuff in a martini and that was surprisingly tasty.

Wolfgang
02-10-2010, 11:49 PM

The Northeast, really, I've seen it all the time in New England as well. I mainly like it for the bottle.

Torgo
02-11-2010, 12:38 AM
I'm insanely jealous that you guys still get Coke Blak. Then again...

Also, Coke Blak was great, except that it was like $2.50 for an 8oz bottle. It wasn't THAT great.
For serious.

NevznachaY
02-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Oh, we don't. It was imported from France - but then, I haven't seen it in about six months. I can only hope that it's still in production over there.

And I personally think that it is that good.

ajr82
02-11-2010, 07:26 AM
I did not like Coke Blak, but I'll say this for it: it was better than Pepsi Twist, because Pepsi Twist tasted like floor cleaner.

openedsource
02-11-2010, 07:45 AM
I'm not a big soft drink drinker at all - gave up soda a while back. But I originally purchased Q tonic (http://www.qtonic.com/) as a mixer, but I found that I enjoy it all on its own.

Ethan
02-11-2010, 08:10 AM
Interesting. I actually had no idea that quinine was actually an herb.

Dadgum Roi
02-11-2010, 09:23 AM
Does anybody live where you can still get RC Edge? It disappeared from our local distributors, but research online leads me to believe it's still available in limited markets.

It's gross and tastes like table pepper and most of the time the 2-liters are muddy for some reason but I drank an unseemly amount of it back when it was available.

I love that RC tried to be edgy. Anyway, if you drink an RC without a BC powder dissolved in it, you are Doin' It Wrong.

Lumber Baron
02-11-2010, 10:15 AM
Let Alton show you how! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYbqZRh-QDc)
Everybody needs to start making celery soda right now all the time. Here's the recipe in text (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/celery-soda-recipe/index.html).

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k276/LumberBaron/DSCN4305.jpg

So fresh and so clean, clean.

Meditative_Zebra
02-11-2010, 12:11 PM

The Northeast, really, I've seen it all the time in New England as well. I mainly like it for the bottle.

This makes me very sad. And very jealous.

pence
02-11-2010, 12:25 PM
This makes me very sad. And very jealous.

Text message from Comb Stranger. "Upload this, will you? I can't get it off my phone."

http://i48.tinypic.com/2090ldg.jpg

Did you know: we were the test market for Pepsi Kona? No? That's because you have no idea what Pepsi Kona was, because you didn't live in the Delaware Valley.

Pepsi Kona is the same thing as Coke Blak, but their timing was off.

Dawnswalker
02-11-2010, 12:38 PM
I thought I saw Coke Blak at the store the other day, but it turned out to be a "special" Olympic-brand Coke bottle.

Which leads me to my complaint that if you're making a "special" Coke bottle in the shape of the old glass bottles, it had damn well better be a glass bottle and not a plastic bottle that's only "special" because it has a stingy portion.

dangerhelvetica
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I want to get a glass Coke bottle so I can feel like I'm drinking a Nuka-Cola.

Red Hedgehog
02-13-2010, 12:16 AM
Did you know: we were the test market for Pepsi Kona? No? That's because you have no idea what Pepsi Kona was, because you didn't live in the Delaware Valley.

Pepsi Kona is the same thing as Coke Blak, but their timing was off.

Pepsi Kona, I remember that! Ah, the early 90s.

Daikaiju
02-14-2010, 01:10 PM
I got through a few shifts on Pepsi Kona. Nice roasted flavor.

Touching back on the red creme soda, I believe Sprecher's (www.sprecherbrewery.com) makes one. It's honey based and tastes like toasted marshmallows. Also, their Puma Cola is nice and herby.

Mightyblue
02-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Their cherry cola will make you die and go to heaven. Made with real cherry juice and lots of it.

Matchstick
02-14-2010, 02:24 PM
Their cherry cola will make you die and go to heaven. Made with real cherry juice and lots of it.

Man, do I want some of this. On a Root Beer note, I picked up some Stewart's after chatter about it here and found it good, but I still prefer IBC or Dominion.

estragon
02-14-2010, 09:23 PM
When I was growing up I had probably 3+ cans of soda a day, and by high school I think I was basically addicted to it. I pretty much could not function without soda. Being broke in college helped a lot of ease this problem, becasue you can save a lot of money by drinking water when you go out to eat. I was given a further push by living in Japan, where soda is relatively less pervasive.

In a weird way, this has helped me to like soda more. I don't drink it as often, and I tend to only drink it when it really goes with what I'm eating. Yes, I'd like some soda with my hamburger, but I just don't want it with, say, pasta. I can appreciate it more now that it's an occasional treat instead of a more or less indispensible part of my meals, which basically was the first 18 years of my life.

I really feel like this is one of the foods where less is more.

Umby
02-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Man, do I want some of this. On a Root Beer note, I picked up some Stewart's after chatter about it here and found it good, but I still prefer IBC or Dominion.

Abita. Abita here in Louisiana is pretty awesome. I don't have a lot of knowledge in these matters, but I think they're good.

Dr. Pepper is amazing in any other case, though. Jones Soda is cool.

Red Hedgehog
02-15-2010, 02:08 PM
Man, even Zabar's didn't have any Celery soda.

I really feel like this is one of the foods where less is more.

This is so true. I like to treat Soda like it was 50 years ago - as a dessert or treat.

Bergasa
02-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Everybody needs to start making celery soda right now all the time.

This looks pretty great, I will have to try it.

http://i48.tinypic.com/2090ldg.jpg

Orangina is pretty great too!

I want to get a glass Coke bottle so I can feel like I'm drinking a Nuka-Cola.

My local grocery store recently started carrying 6-packs of Coke in glass bottles. They are more expensive, but I had to buy a pack just for the novelty of it. It somehow just tastes better coming out of a glass bottle.

Also: I don't think we have a dedicated thread for energy drinks, do we? I don't drink a lot of them by any means, but I have taken a liking to Nos recently. I shouldn't make it a habit though, because these things are pretty bad for you (and the wallet! They're almost $5 a can.).

Comb Stranger
02-22-2010, 05:07 PM
http://www.sodapopstop.com/images/products/large_82.jpg

Got this at the local Altomontes. I hate coffee, but it was actually good. It's the fizzy espresso part of Coke Blak, without the cola. Odd to discover it now, since it's been around almost as long as Coke itself.

Mr. J
02-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Celery Soda is amazing. I remember the first time I tried it I thought I had bought a cream soda until I actually bothered to look at the label >.>

IBC and sasparilla are the only brands of root beer I drink.

Lumber Baron
03-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Guys, I just made peppercorn soda today. I'm pretty okay with it.

Actually, I am very okay with it.

blitzchamp
03-02-2010, 10:09 AM
My two favorite soft drinks are

Ramune

http://x8e.xanga.com/5d1f962bd4035264587932/w210968467.jpg

and

Kolachampan-A soft drink drink from El Salvador that I usually drink when I'm in California

http://x03.xanga.com/6f8f9225d4035264587931/w210968466.jpg

dwolfe
03-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Guys, I just made peppercorn soda today. I'm pretty okay with it.

Actually, I am very okay with it.

You...what...how....?!

Falselogic
03-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Pepsi is soooo bad!

Diet Pepsi is even worse! Better to not drink caffeinated beverages than to pick this up. Never again!

Lumber Baron
03-03-2010, 02:12 PM
You...what...how....?!
By making celery soda (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/celery-soda-recipe/index.html) only substituting peppercorns for celery seed.

It is delightful.

Sanagi
03-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Pepsi is soooo bad!

Diet Pepsi is even worse! Better to not drink caffeinated beverages than to pick this up. Never again!
Oh man, back in high school I had a friend whose house was always well-stocked with Diet Pepsi and nothing else. That stuff tastes like liquid cancer.

Balrog
03-08-2010, 12:35 PM
I got a case of Mountain Dew Throwback this weekend and I wasn't all that impressed. Shit tasted like Diet Mountain Dew or something. Brickroad done told everbody wrong.

Knight
03-08-2010, 02:05 PM
I got a case of Mountain Dew Throwback this weekend and I wasn't all that impressed. Shit tasted like Diet Mountain Dew or something. Brickroad done told everbody wrong.
I haven't tried Mountain Dew Throwback, but Pepsi Throwback is awesome. I found another case yesterday morning when I stopped at the grocery store before work to pick up a box of cereal, and I snagged that in a heatbeat. Thankfully it was all cold and rainy that day so could leave it in my car and not risk it baking in the sun.

Phat
03-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I accidentally bought 24 cans of Dr Pepper three days ago.

There are only 12 cans now. :(

Googleshng
03-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Recently I discovered that "America's Choice Cola" (a local store brand) tastes EXACTLY like RC Cola used to, before they changed the recipe to make it taste like dirt. I'm rather curious now of what this is the generic brand.

Comb Stranger
03-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Pepsi Throwback is great, Dew Throwback tastes the same to me, and Pepper Heritage just tastes wrong. Which is really odd, because supposedly people drove all the way to Dublin to get it, back when that was the only place it was sold.

Edit: Apparently, it's a different formula. That splains it!

Daikaiju
03-21-2010, 01:29 PM
My local Shop-Rite has Kosher Coca~Cola with sugar instead of HFCS. Look for the yellow caps!

jeditanuki
03-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Pepsi Throwback is great, Dew Throwback tastes the same to me, and Pepper Heritage just tastes wrong. Which is really odd, because supposedly people drove all the way to Dublin to get it, back when that was the only place it was sold.

For what it's worth, Dublin Dr. Pepper tastes "off" too, compared to 'regular' Dr. Pepper. Not in a bad way, as it is also tasty, but it's not the same by any means.

Meditative_Zebra
03-22-2010, 01:41 AM

I used to get to drink Dublin Dr. Pepper on special occasions when I was growing up. My granddad was a truck driver and had a route that took him by Dublin from time to time. He would stock up on it and my grandmother would spoil us grandkids with it. So even when I was quite young I knew that soda with real sugar was way better than soda with HFCS.

God, my grandpa was awesome.

Falselogic
03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Stock up now folks! It's passover and that means soda companies release a bunch of kosher versions of their soda, and what makes soda kosher? The inclusion of sugar instead of HFCS!

I know Coke does this so if you are a decent human being a coke drinker you can stoke up on it without having to import it from Mexico right now.

Lumber Baron
03-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Guys, guys.

It's sugar.

Are we really this excited about sugar? I mean, I can taste the difference between HFCS Coke and sugar Coke, but is it really worth getting worked up about?

And if you're going to frame it as a health things, I mean, it's still sugar. I don't think it's making that much difference.

Torgo
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Recently I discovered that "America's Choice Cola" (a local store brand) tastes EXACTLY like RC Cola used to, before they changed the recipe to make it taste like dirt. I'm rather curious now of what this is the generic brand.
Isn't that Kroger's store brand?

Meditative_Zebra
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Guys, guys.

It's sugar.

Are we really this excited about sugar? I mean, I can taste the difference between HFCS Coke and sugar Coke, but is it really worth getting worked up about?

And if you're going to frame it as a health things, I mean, it's still sugar. I don't think it's making that much difference.

Of course! While I do have the vague impression that sugar might be marginally healthier than HFCS , you still shouldn't drink soda by the gallon. But if you're going to drink soda the beverages made with sugar taste distinctly better than those made with HFCS. It's all about the taste!

Flint Ironstag
03-22-2010, 05:36 PM
I love Dr. Pepper but I'm trying to get away from sugars and drink water exclusively. Hard to stay the course, you often get tempted.

Falselogic
03-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I love Dr. Pepper but I'm trying to get away from sugars and drink water exclusively. Hard to stay the course, you often get tempted.

Thats what Diet is for!

Luana
03-22-2010, 05:46 PM

It's hard, but you can do it. I went from having 1-2 cans of Diet Coke a day to not having a soda (except for the occasional swig of whatever's on hand for a chaser) for almost six months now. Just make sure you always have an alternative available and you'll be good to go!

Now coffee is a different story altogether.

Flint Ironstag
03-22-2010, 06:21 PM
It's hard, but you can do it. I went from having 1-2 cans of Diet Coke a day to not having a soda (except for the occasional swig of whatever's on hand for a chaser) for almost six months now. Just make sure you always have an alternative available and you'll be good to go!

The biggest hurdle for me is at campus. All those vending machines where [a bottle] of water costs literally twice as much as a soda. I could always bring my own water bottle and refill it at the fountains... but some days can get quite busy.

Sven
03-22-2010, 07:36 PM

And was probably produced by Cott, which explains why it tastes similar.

The biggest hurdle for me is at campus. All those vending machines where [a bottle] of water costs literally twice as much as a soda. I could always bring my own water bottle and refill it at the fountains... but some days can get quite busy.

Yeah, hauling around a Gatorade bottle filled with water takes some getting used to, but after a while you learn to work around it. But, hey, if it's empty you can use it as a football substitute.

Flint Ironstag
03-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Yeah, hauling around a Gatorade bottle filled with water takes some getting used to, but after a while you learn to work around it. But, hey, if it's empty you can use it as a football substitute.
I have a strap loop on my backpack where I can stick the bottle; but it's rather odd hearing the water slosh back and forth inside the container as I walk about. Makes me feel like I'm wearing F.L.U.D.D.

nunix
03-23-2010, 07:45 AM
Make sure you invest in a non-BPA bottle; don't just reuse an old disposable bottle. There are hard plastic bottles you can buy, or stainless steel (some people prefer the taste of plastic vs metal water). Alternatively, go feudal, and either carry around a waterskin, or one of those bitchin' bamboo containers from Japan.

Comb Stranger
03-23-2010, 07:51 AM
I know nothing of Judaism, so why is HFCS non-kosher?

nunix
03-23-2010, 08:22 AM

http://internethut.com/coolest/children_corn_isaac.jpg

Falselogic
03-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Make sure you invest in a non-BPA bottle; don't just reuse an old disposable bottle. There are hard plastic bottles you can buy, or stainless steel (some people prefer the taste of plastic vs metal water). Alternatively, go feudal, and either carry around a waterskin, or one of those bitchin' bamboo containers from Japan.

Go Gourd!

Sven
03-23-2010, 09:42 AM

The Gatorade bottle I'm drinking out of right now is plastic class 1 [it's inside the recycling symbol if you're curious].

What you don't want is anything labelled with a 7, and stay away from 3 just to make sure.

Dadgum Roi
03-23-2010, 09:45 AM
I know Coke does this so if you are a decent human being a coke drinker you can stoke up on it without having to import it from Mexico right now.

Pretty much any taqueria or Mexican grocery has Mexican coke year-round.

Lumber Baron
03-23-2010, 10:11 AM
Or certain Costcos.

Wolfgang
03-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Do you put sugar and cream in it? And even if you don't, drinking coffee but not soda - even diet soda - is such a minor distinction it hardly seems worth it.

spineshark
03-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Caffeine-wise, sure. I'm thinking black coffee probably isn't going to get anybody fat, though.

Wolfgang
03-23-2010, 11:30 AM
Caffeine-wise, sure. I'm thinking black coffee probably isn't going to get anybody fat, though.

Neither will diet soda. I really don't see a distinction.

Dizzy
03-23-2010, 02:57 PM
http://internethut.com/coolest/children_corn_isaac.jpg

Question not my wisdom, Malachi!

I don't think I'll ever go back to sugary, milky coffee again. I'll take it over cold, throat-corroding Diet Coke.

Torgo
03-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Diet soda is so fuggin' nasty. Artificial sweeteners on the whole are terrible. I realize that for others it's tolerable, enjoyable, and for diabetics is practically necessary to get their sweet on, but I can taste them from a mile off no matter the product. Especially aspartame. That shit is beeeyoooond gross.

ajr82
03-24-2010, 01:26 PM
Diet soda is so fuggin' nasty. Artificial sweeteners on the whole are terrible. I realize that for others it's tolerable, enjoyable, and for diabetics is practically necessary to get their sweet on, but I can taste them from a mile off no matter the product. Especially aspartame. That shit is beeeyoooond gross.

I used to say that, and then I started drinking diet sodas, and now I barely even notice it.

ThornGhost
03-24-2010, 01:45 PM
Coke Zero is a fairly acceptable diet soda product. It tastes like a kind of watery, sort of artificially sweetened Coke. Much closer to the original Coke taste than Diet Coke, for sure.

Plus, it technically has one calorie less than Diet Coke!

Red Hedgehog
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM

First note that there is a difference between kosher/kashrut (the normal Jewish dietary laws) and kosher for passover (extra dietary laws in place during passover).

During passover, Jews are forbidden from eating chometz: wheat, spelt, barley, or rye that has come into contact with water for more than 18 minutes. In fact, you are not even allowed to have any chometz in your house during passover. In addition, Ashkenazi jews (those of Central and Eastern European origin) are forbidden from eating kitniyot which includes rice, corn, soy beans, string beans, peas, lentils, peanuts, mustard, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. Since Ashkenazi jews comprise about 75% of the Jewish population in the world, most observant jews will thus not eat HFCS during passover.

The reasoning for the extra dietary laws during passover is to honor the passage of the Jews across the dessert from Egypt to Israel. Since the Jews were fleeing and did not have time to let their bread rise, only unleavened grains may be eaten during passover.

Sven
03-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Coke Zero is a fairly acceptable diet soda product. It tastes like a kind of watery, sort of artificially sweetened Coke. Much closer to the original Coke taste than Diet Coke, for sure.

Plus, it technically has one calorie less than Diet Coke!

Diet Coke tastes like tinfoil.

However, Diet Coke with Lime is strangely addictive.

Paul le Fou
03-24-2010, 07:57 PM
Diet Coke tastes like tinfoil.

However, Diet Coke with Lime is strangely addictive.

Related: diet ginger ale tastes like aspirin and cardboard, but diet cranberry ginger ale is a gift from on high.

While I was in Hong Kong they had cream soda all over the place, and I reacquainted myself with it. It was good but I got bored of it halfway through my first bottle.

Then we found vanilla coke in Macau, and my girlfriend tried to stock up but they took it away at the security gate!

Nobuyuki
03-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I've yet to have a Jones soda that didn't make me want to be sick. Using natural sugar is nice but for the love of god you don't have to use that much. Just thinking about the cream soda makes me feel ill.

Queen Possum
03-27-2010, 11:25 PM

I was actually about to come here and sing the praises of Big K Oh!, which is Kroger's really good $2-a-case Coke Zero knockoff (so, no, it's Big K brand). Although, I have been forsaking my precious diet Cheerwine for it lately. I should pick some up at the store tomorrow.

Speaking of which, if you ever have the misfortune of driving I-85 through South Carolina between 8 and 5 on a weekday, stop in at an Abbots Farm roadside store and treat yourself to Cheerwine, Nehi, or RC in old-fashioned glass bottles. You'd think the glass bottle really wouldn't make that much of a difference, but it's amazing how much better soda tastes out of one.

Torgo
03-28-2010, 02:03 AM
You'd think the glass bottle really wouldn't make that much of a difference, but it's amazing how much better soda tastes out of one.
There are few things finer.

Is there any good place to buy soda online that offers decent shipping? No, don't say BevMo. They force me to take second day air, which quickly turns a one dollar soda into a six dollar soda.

Queen Possum
03-28-2010, 07:55 AM
There are few things finer.

Is there any good place to buy soda online that offers decent shipping? No, don't say BevMo. They force me to take second day air, which quickly turns a one dollar soda into a six dollar soda.

Maybe this? (http://www.glassbottlesoda.org/mail.shtml)

Nobuyuki
04-03-2010, 05:13 PM
Curry Ramune: kinda awful.

Balrog
04-25-2010, 11:22 AM
I got a bottle of Foxon Park Strawberry flavored soda and I'm not that crazy about it. It's more natural tasting than Welch's or Crush Strawberry but it doesn't have any bite to it.

MCBanjoMike
04-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Had some tangerine Jarritos today. Yum!

Marfy
04-25-2010, 12:22 PM
Good news. My beloved Irn Bru exists (http://www.irn-bru-usa.com/index.html) in America! There's a small list of shops that carry it on the website, and I would highly encourage anyone near one to pick some up.

Reinforcements
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
Curry Ramune: kinda awful.
That sounds like the worst thing.

Not interesting so much, but my soft drink of choice, that is the thing I actually drink often, is lemon-lime plain soda water. Refreshing and calorie/caffeine/artificial sweetener free!

Red Hedgehog
04-25-2010, 04:11 PM
I wish I could find a place that stocked Tamarind soda.

Kirin
04-26-2010, 06:44 AM
Good news. My beloved Irn Bru exists (http://www.irn-bru-usa.com/index.html) in America! There's a small list of shops that carry it on the website, and I would highly encourage anyone near one to pick some up.

So I'm wondering what this is, and I peruse the website which helpfully describes it as "indescribable". Uh, thanks? Way to sell the product there, guys. I mean, it may be fantastic, but I'm not about to go track down an obscure hard-to-find soda on the basis of them being all coy and mysterious about it.

Marfy
04-26-2010, 08:49 AM
So I'm wondering what this is, and I peruse the website which helpfully describes it as "indescribable". Uh, thanks? Way to sell the product there, guys. I mean, it may be fantastic, but I'm not about to go track down an obscure hard-to-find soda on the basis of them being all coy and mysterious about it.

It's not that mysterious - they admit to having 32 flavors! And honestly, they are not that far off from the truth. No two people can agree on the flavors. Cream soda is a pretty common comparison. I think it tastes like a combination of Big Red and bubblegum but even that doesn't fully cover it. It is rather indescribable, despite the moronic marketing.

MCBanjoMike
04-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Yeah, Irn Bru is just Irn Bru. You'll never be able to get a clearer answer than that, I'm afraid. I would definitely buy some if I found it around here, but it would be more for the novelty than anything else. Honestly, the stuff looks pretty scary. Then again, the tag line is "Irn Bru: Made from Griders".

Balrog
04-26-2010, 08:30 PM
Nesbitt's of California Peach flavored soda is pretty good. I don't think it's going to unseat Peach Nehi as my favorite peach soda but it's not bad and it uses cane sugar instead of HFC so it's got that going for it.

Sanagi
04-26-2010, 08:39 PM
I had some Leninade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leninade) recently. Worth it for the jokes on the bottle. The soda itself was interesting, kinda old-fashioned tasting. A little weird, not bad, not great either.

Meditative_Zebra
05-01-2010, 07:33 AM
I had some Leninade (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leninade) recently.

I don't think I'll be able to resist the buying impulse if I ever stumble upon a bottle of the stuff. Nor will I be able to resist the impulse to say nonsensical things like, "In Soviet Russia, soda drinks you!"

Sir Sly Ry
05-01-2010, 07:58 AM
Because we can't be drinking alcohol all the time.
Says who!?!?
Also: Birch beer.
/thread

NevznachaY
05-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Also: Birch beer.

What?!

(I enjoy bottled birch sap, by the way).

Sir Sly Ry
05-02-2010, 06:26 AM
What?!
This stuff! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birch_beer)

MCBanjoMike
05-02-2010, 07:59 AM
That's funny, I had birch beer for the first time last night. It was pretty good, like root beer mixed with cream soda.

Sanagi
05-02-2010, 01:03 PM
I don't think I'll be able to resist the buying impulse if I ever stumble upon a bottle of the stuff. Nor will I be able to resist the impulse to say nonsensical things like, "In Soviet Russia, soda drinks you!"
I was impressed that they managed to have like a dozen jokes on the bottle and not resort to that one.

Meditative_Zebra
05-02-2010, 11:59 PM
That's funny, I had birch beer for the first time last night. It was pretty good, like root beer mixed with cream soda.

That sound ridiculicious.

Sir Sly Ry
05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
I agree birch beer is pretty good, I don't agree with your description though. I never got that anyway. To me it tastes like root beer, except more interesting. I haven't had any in a while...I need to remedy that....

Lumber Baron
05-03-2010, 12:23 PM
"In Soviet Russia, Soda Popinski drinks you!"

Daikaiju
05-03-2010, 12:31 PM

That sounds like Sarsparilla masquerading as Birch Beer.

The real stuff should smack you in the face like a jealous lover.

Meditative_Zebra
05-06-2010, 09:52 PM
"In Soviet Russia, Soda Popinski drinks you!"

I heartily endorse this new and improved version.

Comb Stranger
05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
The Irn-Bru map refuses to load for me! NOOOOOOO!

Grignr
05-07-2010, 06:15 AM
The Irn-Bru map refuses to load for me! NOOOOOOO!

I bought some at Publix earlier this week. It tasted like ginger ale with a bit of Sunkist. At least it has the "chokes you if you inhale right before you take a sip" effect that good ginger ale has.

Comb Stranger
05-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Maaaan, I love ginger ale, Sunkist, and girders! But the nearest vendor is 17 miles away, which is a bit far to walk.

Wolfgang
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
Tamarind Kool-Aid: I found some packets at a bodega around the corner. I'm curious, but a little frightened. Does anyone have experience with this?

Marfy
05-10-2010, 03:08 PM
I bought some at Publix earlier this week. It tasted like ginger ale with a bit of Sunkist. At least it has the "chokes you if you inhale right before you take a sip" effect that good ginger ale has.

Publix? Where do you live, if I may ask? Well, okay: do yo live in the metro Atlanta area, and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN, WHICH PUBLIX? I'm guessing it was in the Brit foods section?

Grignr
05-11-2010, 03:53 AM
Publix? Where do you live, if I may ask? Well, okay: do yo live in the metro Atlanta area, and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD MAN, WHICH PUBLIX? I'm guessing it was in the Brit foods section?

Sorry, it's a Publix in Orlando north of UCF. The Publix with the little bottles of Mexican cane sugar Coke is to the west of UCF. Publix stock will vary from store to store so try around in your area.

I drank one last night while playing Mass Effect 2 and it was intensely manly.

Paul le Fou
05-11-2010, 06:18 AM
Tamarind Kool-Aid: I found some packets at a bodega around the corner. I'm curious, but a little frightened. Does anyone have experience with this?

It is a pack of koolaid. If it costs more than a dollar then our world is truly too far gone. I am mystified that you would not buy it just to find out. For the price of a pack of koolaid I'd buy Grandma's Old Couch flavor just to see what it's like.

Destil
12-06-2010, 05:33 PM
So, for some bizzare reason, we got a case of Tab in the breakroom this week. Someone must be on a 60s kick or something.

It's pretty much coke with less sugar. Meh.

LBD_Nytetrayn
12-08-2010, 12:49 AM
It's pretty much coke with less sugar. Meh.

Pretty much, yeah. (http://blog.paxholley.net/2006/10/23/misunderstood-the-saga-of-new-coke-part-i/)

ArugulaZ
12-08-2010, 04:34 PM

If it's anything like Tamarind soda, it'll taste like liquid raisins.

Paul le Fou
12-09-2010, 04:09 AM
I got some limited time "Red Ginger" ginger ale. The subtitle: "The Imp's Seduction." (Well, it's 小悪魔(little devil, imp)の誘惑(seduction, temptation). Close enough!)

It's pretty tasty!

Balrog
07-15-2011, 08:05 AM
There's a local restaurant that carries a crazy selection of sodas and after trying several of the Jolly Rancher sodas I'd like to go on record as saying they are the best.

Mr. Sensible
07-15-2011, 11:44 AM
If I had regular access to a watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher soda, I would be the fattest person in the world.

Balrog
07-15-2011, 12:04 PM
If I had regular access to a watermelon-flavored Jolly Rancher soda, I would be the fattest person in the world.

Amazon sells it in 24 packs.

ArugulaZ
07-15-2011, 12:08 PM
What's that Moxie stuff all about?

Wolfgang
07-15-2011, 12:43 PM

THEY ONLY HAVE ONE LEFT IN STOCK AAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH

MCBanjoMike
07-15-2011, 01:22 PM
I think I will have a soft drink now. Nothing fancy, sadly, as our breakroom only carries the basics.

John
07-15-2011, 02:27 PM
When I was in Florida a couple weeks ago, I had a strange soda. It was fermented, tasted like rotting prunes, but not in a wholly bad way. There was another flavor that I'd like to try, if I can find it around here. The taste was a bit shocking at first, but then I warmed up to it, and forced everyone to take two sips.

Anyone know what this soda is called? It came in a glass bottle, and was cloudy and orange-ish in color.

Mr. Sensible
07-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Anyone ever drink OK Cola back in the nineties? It was test-marketed by Coca-Cola for a year or so, and from what I remember tasted like...sarsparilla? It was nearly twenty years ago now, so my memory's a little vague. We had it in the vending machines at the local Boy Scout campground for whatever reason, and I think I really liked it.

I wonder if anyone's ever tried to make a business out of reviving obsolete sodas.

Daikaiju
07-15-2011, 04:06 PM
THEY ONLY HAVE ONE LEFT IN STOCK AAAAAARRRRRGGGHHHH

Go to Bella Vista Dist. on 755 S 11th. Buy some Sprecher's Puma Cola and Cherry Cola. Your tongue will thank you.

Dhroo
07-15-2011, 05:58 PM
I've wanted to try Sarsaparilla for a while, but is it different enough from root beer or cream soda to bother? I'm not really sure where to find some as it seems to be a regional thing.

Going back and looking through this thread and seeing all the foreign sodas has reminded me of the international soda fountain at Epcot in Disney World. Naturally I tried every damn one when I went there a few months ago. Now I miss Spezi!

ArugulaZ
07-15-2011, 07:19 PM
When I was in Florida a couple weeks ago, I had a strange soda. It was fermented, tasted like rotting prunes, but not in a wholly bad way. There was another flavor that I'd like to try, if I can find it around here. The taste was a bit shocking at first, but then I warmed up to it, and forced everyone to take two sips.

Anyone know what this soda is called? It came in a glass bottle, and was cloudy and orange-ish in color.

It wouldn't be this, would it?

http://www.knowledgeforthirst.com/2007/jarritos-tamarindo/

Going back and looking through this thread and seeing all the foreign sodas has reminded me of the international soda fountain at Epcot in Disney World. Naturally I tried every damn one when I went there a few months ago. Now I miss Spezi!

Now's a good a time as any to post a link to the blog post I'd written about The World of Coca-Cola six years ago.

http://mneko.livejournal.com/36112.html

Nobuyuki
07-15-2011, 09:00 PM
I wonder if anyone's ever tried to make a business out of reviving obsolete sodas.

I'd buy a pallet of Surge if I could.

John
07-16-2011, 08:31 AM
It wouldn't be this, would it?

http://www.knowledgeforthirst.com/2007/jarritos-tamarindo/

Oh no, we have tons of Jarritos in Phoenix, all flavors. This one specifically said in the name, or at least the descriptor under the name, fermented soda. All google searches I've found go towards making your own fermented sodas, and not to buy one.

Lucas
07-18-2011, 01:06 PM
What's that Moxie stuff all about?

It's one of the oldest mass-produced sodas with a formula that hasn't changed much (if at all) in the last century or so. It's got an odd, strong flavor that makes me think rather vaguely of pepper- or spearmint even though it's neither of those. A lot of people seem to think it's bitter, but I don't; it's certainly not as sweet as most things on the market these days, but that's a plus in my book.

I actually thought it had been discontinued a couple years ago, but I guess that was just the cream soda and cherry cola varieties. It's definitely a regional thing though, mostly only available around New England a few parts of the eastern U.S. as I understand it. I've been unable to find any for a reasonable price here in Southern California for several years now.

ArugulaZ
07-19-2011, 01:33 PM
I would like to try it someday. I had a chance to try Coca-Cola Blak but missed out... it bombed hard after an initial marketing push and vanished faster than you can say "Crystal Pepsi." It may have been a fun change of pace, and it may have been just awful, but either way, I'll never know for sure.

Speaking of Coke, have you guys heard about the Coca-Cola Freestyle vending machines?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Freestyle

It uses inkjet technology for a more consistent flavor, and is easier to maintain than traditional vending machines. If it needs refills, you just insert cartridges in the machine and you're done. It also offers a wider variety of flavors, with the option to add a fruity kick to many of Coke's brands. Seems pretty nifty, although the machines are hugely expensive and only five hundred are being tested throughout the United States.

Wolfgang
07-19-2011, 01:49 PM
a fruity kick, eh

Moxie tastes like what you'd get if you crushed up a handful of aspirin and mixed it into a can of cola.

John
07-19-2011, 02:12 PM
The article linked to Orange Coca-Cola (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coca-Cola_Orange), which has set my taste buds 'atrembling. I wonder just how horrible it would be to mix regular coke with some orange juice?

Balrog
07-19-2011, 07:05 PM

I got my 24 pack into today. Here's to 24 days of diabetic goodness.

Dhroo
07-19-2011, 07:08 PM
The article linked to Orange Coca-Cola, which has set my taste buds 'atrembling. I wonder just how horrible it would be to mix regular coke with some orange juice?

Yeah, as that article mentions, Coke's actually been making that stuff for a while in European countries. It's sort of based on a German originated drink (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezi). Mmm, Mezzo Mix...oh, and Pepsi's competing brand was called "Schwip Schwap".

Now I wanna find one of these Freestyle machines so I can get my fix without actually being in Germany again.

LBD_Nytetrayn
07-20-2011, 04:37 AM
Speaking of Coke, have you guys heard about the Coca-Cola Freestyle vending machines?

It uses inkjet technology for a more consistent flavor, and is easier to maintain than traditional vending machines. If it needs refills, you just insert cartridges in the machine and you're done. It also offers a wider variety of flavors, with the option to add a fruity kick to many of Coke's brands. Seems pretty nifty, although the machines are hugely expensive and only five hundred are being tested throughout the United States.

I want to try one SO bad.

But, I'm a bit of a Coca-Cola fan... I'd still love to visit the place in Atlanta.

...though Pepsi Throwback has really endangered that affinity. Coke needs to get with it and realize some people prefer sugar!

Of course, they can leave out that one other "retro" ingredient... that's just asking for trouble.

Shagohod
07-20-2011, 06:06 AM
Coca-Cola Blak was no good. I tried it at least 3 times and none of them could get me on board. The coffee was crap and it crapped up the coke taste. You missed nothing if you didn't drink it.

Looks like you can still try it (http://www.drsoda.com/cocacolablak.html) though.

Also, I love Big Lots. They have Dad's Blue Cream Soda.

And Cow Tails!

Paul le Fou
07-20-2011, 07:02 AM
I really liked Coke Blak! The girl I was dating then got me into it because she was a caffeine freak, but I just thought it tasted good.

Toothache42
09-09-2011, 09:11 AM
I've been really enjoying fresh fruit juices lately. While I dislike pineapple, the juice is actually pretty refreshing. Cranberry is good, and there's nothing wrong with a bit of apple juice. I've gone off orange juice lately. Surprisingly hard to get hold of mango, but I enjoy that stuff too.

shawn struck
09-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Anyone know where I can actually buy some Kodomono nomimono? I bought it once online from Asian Food Grocer Dot Com, but they stopped selling it. Sangaria USA's site has said the web store is “down for maintenance” going on almost a year now.

I would have no idea how to order it from japan to get it to me in NJ, and my google-fu has failed me.

Shagohod
09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
Anyone here try egg creams? They are fantastic. They have an old school soda fountain near my place. Great stuff

Jeanie
10-12-2011, 01:16 PM

There's one at the new Burger King near my work. I tried Rasp. Coke, it was okay, but nothing I'd go to the store to buy. As for the price, well if the number of people I saw there for it was any indication, it'd make it back in a decent amount of time.

But I wanted to ask where the Pepsi Flavor was.

Tefari
10-12-2011, 03:22 PM
My nostalgic love for Sun-Drop outweighs any attempt at not buying it when I see it because it really doesn't taste that good!

CaliScrub
10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
One of the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines I used had a difficult time getting me JUST water, which was pretty annoying.

Balrog
10-12-2011, 06:16 PM
The Coca-Cola Freestyle machine at the local pizza place is awful. Nothing ever tastes like its supposed to. Your best bet, IMO, is getting some type of flavored lemonade out of it.

Lady
10-12-2011, 07:17 PM
I looked up the locations for those things and there's like ten within a few miles of here. I'll bet there are 0-1 in the state of Arkansas :(

stupid population centers.

Matchstick
10-13-2011, 12:32 AM
There's a burger place that I go to occasionally that was the first place I ran into one of the Freestyle machines. I love getting Lime Coke from it. We went this weekend, but all the Coke flavors were empty although Coke itself worked. I went with a Cherry Fanta, which turned out to be pretty enjoyable as well since it had a bit of that bite that Orange Fanta has compared to other orange dranks (as it were). I noticed they were refilling the machine as we were getting done eating, so I went to get a Lime Coke to take home. When I got to the Coke screen, I noticed that the flavors were working, but Coke itself was now listed as empty. WTF? The soda I got tasted just the same as it always does.

Grignr
10-16-2011, 01:58 PM
I was excited to try one of these but since you can only pick from the scripted choices, it ends being about as exciting as spiking your Coke with lingonberry juice at Ikea. Or maybe the one at Firehouse Subs just didn't have as many mix-ins as other sites? I think I could make two unusual Coke variants at best.

MCBanjoMike
10-17-2011, 11:06 AM
Speaking of Fanta, the social committee where I work has started stocking Tangerine Fanta in the honor system fridge. This is good for morale, but bad for my teeth.

ArugulaZ
10-19-2011, 11:05 PM
Crap! They just opened a new Burger King fifty miles from where I live, complete with a Coke Freestyle machine. This just one month after I swore off carbonated beverages. Oh fate, why must you taunt me so?!

BEAT
10-20-2011, 10:58 AM
You would drive 100 miles round-trip to get a coke?