PDA

View Full Version : garlic

shivam
02-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I read a recipe today that was so pathetic. Some lady was making tomato sauce and said that she'd chop up a clove or two of garlic into big chunks and fish them out of the finished sauce when they took on slightest color.

I was almost offended. Why would you ever take out garlic, or use it so miserly? Garlic has the best flavor, and makes everything taste better. It's almost as bad as the guy who cut a clove in half and rubbed it on his meat and then tossed the clove! what's the damned point if you're not gonna taste it?

Almost everything i make involves garlic, and when i cook from recipes that call for garlic, i almost always have to double or triple the amount. lame.

Sarcasmorator
02-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Seriously what? You put garlic in somethin' you don't take it out again.

mopinks
02-03-2010, 02:20 PM
garlic is one of my favorite things in the world, but I don't cook with it very often because the smell makes my girlfriend violently ill. :( truly, she deserves your pity.

I like to order my pizza smothered in roasted garlic, but I have to go eat it in the other room and close that door good

MCBanjoMike
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
That technique that you read about is actually a traditional Italian way of making spaghetti sauce, shivam. I forget what the reasoning is, but my friend (who is a very capable chef of Italian descent) did the exact same thing when making his family's tomato sauce recipe.

shivam
02-03-2010, 02:34 PM
that's not the point. the point is garlic is amazing, and removing garlic is a high crime.

spineshark
02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Right on. Garlic goes in everything. There's no excuse.

Well...mopinks' is okay I guess.

Posaune
02-03-2010, 02:41 PM
From the Garlic entry from The Joy of Cooking (which for some reason is the only paragraph I've read out of the book).

Garlic:

...Balzac, a formidable gastronome, recommended that even the cook should be rubbed with it!

Sven
02-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Seriously what? You put garlic in somethin' you don't take it out again.

Same deal as a boquet garni - some things, you don't want to bite into a bulb of garlic, especially if you just want a hint of it.

Of course, if you're doing that, just use roasted garlic, since the flavour's a lot more subtle to begin with.

Lucas
02-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Is it true there's a religion that doesn't eat garlic because they believe it's a plant with a soul?

Edit: Nope! At least, if there is, it's not the religion I was thinking of. They just refuse to eat plants like garlic and potatoes that have to be uprooted (and thus killed) to harvest them.

Edit edit: Ninja answered! SSSSSHHHHIIIIIIIVVVVVAAAAMMMM!

shivam
02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
there's a religion that doesn't eat garlic, yes--the jains (and certain stricter hindu groups). But they don't eat any root vegetables, because harvesting them kills the plant they come from. They only eat fruit and vegetables and grain that can be harvested and leave the plant alive. And it's more out of an extreme non violence/ahimsa than anything.

Silver
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I love garlic too, it's easily one of my favorite spices. The reasoning behind using it sparingly or removing it from the final meal is that some chefs feel that it's flavor is so strong that it can overpower the other subtle flavors of the dish. It's a fusion thing.

I personally leave it in. Garlic, tomatoes and basil are a marriage made in heaven.

Torgo
02-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Garlic is completely wonderful and goes with just about everything. Unfortunately, except for maybe salt, it's the one ingredient that people just don't get, which ultimately means it's used piecemeal to terrible or no effect.

Loki
02-03-2010, 05:06 PM
it's the one ingredient that people just don't get, which ultimately means it's used piecemeal to terrible or no effect.

What you mean?

mopinks
02-03-2010, 05:10 PM
oh, hey: black garlic (http://blackgarlic.com/). any of you guys tried it?

I am intensely curious about it!

Torgo
02-03-2010, 05:28 PM
What you mean?
That, like salt, people are stupidly afraid of overdoing it, and therefore using so little that they might as well not have even bothered.

Kfroog
02-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Difference being that it's actually possible to overdo salt.

Matchstick
02-03-2010, 05:49 PM

It's also possible to overdo garlic. I love it, but I've had a number of dishes where there was too much garlic in it and they were ruined. I didn't believe it was possible, either.

Loki
02-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Peeling garlic is the worst. It's this special kind of dry sticky. So here's a tip! If you crush the clove with the flat of your chef's knife the peel lifts right off. Plus, it gives you easy access to the bitter sprout in the center.

Kfroog
02-03-2010, 07:01 PM
It's also possible to overdo garlic. I love it, but I've had a number of dishes where there was too much garlic in it and they were ruined. I didn't believe it was possible, either.

Maybe you can waste other seasonings by drowning them out with too much garlic, but you can't make a dish inedible by adding too much garlic. A dish that's 50% garlic by mass will still taste good. If those dishes you're talking about were inedible, then there was at least one additional problem.

Destil
02-03-2010, 07:05 PM
There was a long-running debate in my home as I was growing up.

My father: Garlic is a spice
My sister: Garlic is a vegetable

I still side with my sister.

Torgo
02-03-2010, 07:09 PM

Maybe you can waste other seasonings by drowning them out with too much garlic, but you can't make a dish inedible by adding too much garlic. A dish that's 50% garlic by mass will still taste good. If those dishes you're talking about were inedible, then there was at least one additional problem.
None of this detracts from my point.

Lady
02-03-2010, 07:15 PM
You can overdo garlic.

What I really like about it is that we can just pick it at home during the summer. There's about half an acre that just gets covered in it.

Merus
02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
How To Garlic: crush it. That way, you get the taste, and you also get the garlic! Taking it out is terrible, I don't care if it's traditional. Some traditions are stupid.

Ample Vigour
02-03-2010, 07:16 PM
My point is that garlic makes most everything better. When I make Clemenza Sauce, the giant hunks of sauteed, stewed garlic (I use entire roses of the stuff) are the best part.

Ethan
02-03-2010, 07:17 PM
A few weeks ago, I made an arrabiata sauce with ten cloves of garlic. It was so much that my palms were emanating garlic scent for an entire day. It was amazing.

A bit of minced garlic sizzling in extra virgin olive oil is the pinnacle of existence. All other pleasures strive toward that level of sublime perfection, but it is futile.

Kfroog
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
None of this detracts from my point.

I meant that as an assent to your post, not a rebuttal! Using too little garlic is a far more realistic worry than using too much.

Torgo
02-03-2010, 07:21 PM
You can overdo garlic.
I ate a pizza last semester that had whole cloves of garlic on it. It wasn't an abomination. It tasted alright, possibly even good if I were feeling charitable. Either way, after one or two pieces I was totally over it because of how powerful the flavor was.

I meant that as an assent to your post, not a rebuttal! One needs to worry about using too little garlic far more often than too much.
Ah. Fair enough, and very true in any case.

Mightyblue
02-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Shrimp Scampi in a butter, basil and garlic sauce is awesome. Used to have a clove mincer that you'd put the cloves in to, y'know, mince since my cutting skills are non-existent due to my problems handling sharp things.

Kfroog
02-03-2010, 07:39 PM
You can overdo garlic.

If you eat so much garlic that you reenact the Yoshi's Island ad, then yes, that is overdoing garlic.

Destil
02-03-2010, 08:29 PM
A bit of minced garlic sizzling in extra virgin olive oil is the pinnacle of existence. All other pleasures strive toward that level of sublime perfection, but it is futile.

Destro gets it.

BodhiTraveller
02-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Is it true there's a religion that doesn't eat garlic because they believe it's a plant with a soul?

Especially hardcore Chinese Buddhists vegetarians don't eat garlic, onions, scallions, chives, leeks and other pungent spices. It is likely that the practice is an Indian transplant and was originally done for all of the reasons Shivam mentioned, but the contemporary Chinese Buddhist attitude is that pungent things angry up the blood and make you `randy.

--but this thread is right. So right. Mmmm garlic.

NevznachaY
02-04-2010, 04:59 AM
I ate a dish that had too much garlic in it just yesterday.

And Banjo Mike is absolutely right about the Italian Way: sometimes you just want the aroma - not the texture, nor the taste.

That said, I still love it.

I'd like to offer you a sight to behold:
http://www.takingitglobal.org/images/connections/tigblogs/entryphotos/109455.gif

Uzbek plov! Included: fucktons of semi-boiled, semi-roasted garlic (it's prepared in a qazan). That way it ends up incredibly sweet.

(I just remembered seeing an article about a survey in the UK that showed how the smell of garlic on a person had become a lot less obnoxious for a large part of the population during the last decade, the opposite thing happening to the smell of beer).

Kirin
02-04-2010, 07:06 AM
I loves me some garlic, but I have a friend who really loves him some garlic. When cooking with it, he has a tendency to convert cloves to heads. And sometimes multiply by three anyway for good measure.

He invented a drink that basically consists of gin and garlic. Or it might have been vodka. But definitely lots of garlic.

NevznachaY
02-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Vodka and garlic sounds pretty bleh (same for gin and garlic).

Vodka and horseradish though? A long-standing tradition. A delicious one.

ajr82
02-04-2010, 10:52 AM

I firmly believe the ultimate smell experience is to have two pans on the stove. The first has minced garlic frying in olive oil, the second has good bacon frying in it.

You cannot convince me that anything could smell better than that kitchen.

R^2
02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
Sheesh guys no wonder we don't have any vampires posting on Talking Time.

(I am a bad cook because I can't garlic or salt food properly. And a host of other reasons, but those are off-topic.)

BodhiTraveller
02-05-2010, 07:31 PM
(I am a bad cook because I can't garlic or salt food properly. And a host of other reasons, but those are off-topic.)

Ah, but as we learned in this thread the proper way to garlic is to garlic, and the better way to garlic is to garlic more.

Red Hedgehog
02-08-2010, 11:36 PM
I was very disappointed in my trivia team last night. One of the trivia rounds was garlic. The first questions was, "What country is the largest producer of garlic?" I assumed it was obvious and two teammates quickly wrote down an answer. Somehow, I never checked and it turned out they wrote down, not China, but Italy! What were they thinking. Granted, none of us they name for the stem of garlic or the famous San Francisco garlic restaurant.

I ate a pizza last semester that had whole cloves of garlic on it. It wasn't an abomination. It tasted alright, possibly even good if I were feeling charitable. Either way, after one or two pieces I was totally over it because of how powerful the flavor was.

The best pizza place in proximity to my office does a pizza with spinach and whole cloves of garlic. It is quite delicious. Granted, the garlic is roasted so it isn't overpowering, but still great.

shivam
02-09-2010, 10:33 AM
green garlic and the stinking rose =)

also, whole cloves of garlic are super awesome. Roasted, unroasted, whatever. I love that shit so much.

Ethan
02-09-2010, 11:02 AM
I once had a patch of dry skin, so I looked online for home remedies and found that eating raw garlic was recommended. I took a clove of garlic not the freshest garlic, so it had yellowed a bit and gotten really spicy and set it aside to eat it. I forgot about it, and went to bed. I woke up the next morning to find the garlic waiting for me. I decided to eat it, whole, just before taking my morning shower. My mouth, throat, and sinuses immediately filled with the burning essence of garlic, and I felt a mean burning through my whole midsection. I let water run over my face and into my mouth to soothe the intensity, but it was no use. I brushed my teeth for about 10 minutes to no avail. I felt like crying Percy looks. It took a good half-hour for the burning sensation to fully subside, and my hands and breath smelled of garlic for 2 days. I was convinced that I would never eat the stuff again. Then, on the third day, I made an arrabiata sauce. But the point is: when you eat raw garlic, make sure that it is fresh and you did not just wake up 5 minutes ago.

Marfy
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Inserting a clove of garlic into a woman's ladybits is a well known natural cure for yeast infections. I would rather turn into a loaf of bread than try it, personally speaking.

On a less horrifying note, is there some secret step to getting the garlic smell off my hands after peeling and chopping up a clove? I've been cooking with it a lot lately, and no amount of soap or scented lotion seems to help. Am I just smelling things that aren't there, or what?

shivam
02-09-2010, 11:26 AM
why would you want to do that? garlic smells wonderful. I used to chew on cloves of garlic when there was nothing else to eat, and i'll still nick a raw piece or two when i'm cooking.

Marfy
02-09-2010, 11:36 AM
You know, shivam, somehow I knew that was going to be your response.

Dadgum Roi
02-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Inserting a clove of garlic into a woman's ladybits is a well known natural cure for yeast infections.

This is a twofer if you're shivam's woman!

Red Hedgehog
02-09-2010, 01:17 PM
green garlic

The scape actually, but yeah. The hint for the last question was also that the restaurant name was another name for garlic (and that they had another location in Beverly Hills).

demonkoala
02-09-2010, 02:44 PM
oh, hey: black garlic (http://blackgarlic.com/). any of you guys tried it?

I am intensely curious about it!

I've been curious about it for ages. I see it at the Korean markets all the time, but all the koreans I know never know about it. Weird. I like my fresh garlic so much that I don't know how good this could possibly be.

Wolfgang
02-10-2010, 11:20 PM
the stinking rose =)

Oh, man, I almost went there last week, but the lunch meeting was a girls only affair. Apparently they serve garlic ice cream? Which sounds neat.

shivam
02-10-2010, 11:30 PM
not as good as advertised.