PDA

View Full Version : Mmmm, pancakes!

NevznachaY
02-14-2010, 11:37 AM
It's the last day of The Official Pancake Week in Russia (I'm not kidding (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslenitsa) you, people), so let's talk about them!

What are the best kinds? Salty or sweet? Small or big? Breton rye-flour pancakes, American-style porous ones madу with a lot of baking soda, thick Eastern European ones, thin Japanese rice-based ones?

And, naturally, what are the best fillings?

Aaahh, I love pancakes.

Lucas
02-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Sometimes I like to put syrup and cooked sausage right into the pancakes so each one is a complete breakfast experience in and of itself.

Sometimes I put in enough chocolate chips that each pancake has a molten core, not unlike a chocolate lava cake.

Figure Four
02-14-2010, 11:55 AM
The best pancakes are Swedish Pancakes. Preferably with a lot of butter and fruit syrup (I'm partial to Boysenberry). Though ever since my Grandma died the only time I get them anymore is when my Dad makes them on Christmas morning.

ajr82
02-14-2010, 01:01 PM
Blueberry pancakes with homemade strawberry jam are the way to go.

Bge
02-14-2010, 01:08 PM
Whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa. Whoa. Whoooooaa.

Whoa!

There's a Pancake Week? Why wasn't I informed?

MCBanjoMike
02-14-2010, 01:26 PM
Man, you can't just start a thread about pancakes without at least posting a recipe for them. Don't be a caketease!

Marfy
02-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Can we also talk about crepes in this thread? Because Fat Tuesday is (next?) week, and French Roommates and Friends are throwing a crepe party. They've made us crepes before, and I am so fucking pumped.

Swedish pancakes are also amazing. My BFF's dad always makes them when I'm over there and hung over the next morning.

As for American pancakes, blueberry is where it's at.

NevznachaY
02-14-2010, 02:20 PM
Man, you can't just start a thread about pancakes without at least posting a recipe for them. Don't be a caketease!

The basics: warm water, flour (choose: rye, wheat, buckwheat), milk/kefir, eggs. Yeast may or may not be included (yeast-based pancakes are especially Russian). Buckwheat and rye are only used in combination with wheat.

You beat eggs together with warm milk, butter and salt. Butter may be substituted with sunflower oil (olive if you don't want the smell). Add sugar if you want to.

If you're making yeast-based pancakes, dissolve yeast and warm (very warm) water at this point and add them to the mixture. Add flour (sifted).

(If there's yeast included, leave in a warm place for half an hour).

Pour a thin layer of the mixture onto a preheated pan. Turn over when the bottom solidifies.

REPEAT

Can we also talk about crepes in this thread? Because Fat Tuesday is (next?) week, and French Roommates and Friends are throwing a crepe party. They've made us crepes before, and I am so fucking pumped.

Different name, same meal. Actually, I've mentioned rye Breton crepes in the OP and they are one of my favourite types of pancake.

Reinforcements
02-14-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey, I made pancakes just this morning! They included bananas (mushed up), cranberries, cinnamon, and whole wheat flour for healthiness. Also I made them pink for Valentine's! Verdict: delicious.

dwolfe
02-14-2010, 05:09 PM

Along with some advice. i'd love to try some of the various non-American styles, but I have no idea on how the final product is supposed to turn out. Educate me! (You may also feed me delicious pancakes, ignore the 'Do Not Feed Forum Member' sign hanging over there)

Alixsar
02-14-2010, 07:21 PM
Fuck pancakes. Waffles are a million times better.

shivam
02-14-2010, 07:25 PM
oh alex. one day you'll have to come over, and my wife will show you what real pancakes are. and you'll see, my friend.

Sheana
02-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Fuck pancakes. Waffles are a million times better.

Sanagi
02-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Waffles are a better strawberry delivery system but a properly fluffy pancake has no peer.

shivam
02-14-2010, 08:32 PM
honestly though, i live in a world where waffles and pancakes live in harmony.

TheSL
02-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I guess the wife and I inadvertently participated in your pancake week when we made blueberry pancakes for breakfast this morning.

Sanagi
02-14-2010, 08:59 PM
honestly though, i live in a world where waffles and pancakes live in harmony.
United against their common foe - french toast.

I actually like french toast as much as or perhaps even more than pancakes or waffles.

Alixsar
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
oh alex. one day you'll have to come over, and my wife will show you what real pancakes are. and you'll see, my friend.

I stand by my previous statement. Waffles will always be better.

Dawnswalker
02-14-2010, 11:06 PM
Pancakes vs. Waffles? That's the Sophie's Choice of the kitchen!

Silent Noise
02-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Waffles will always be better.

You have never been more right, pancakes just don't have that epic crunch among other things.

Paul le Fou
02-14-2010, 11:49 PM
I like pancakes AND waffles! And french toast. WHY ALL THE HATE, BROS

Mazian
02-15-2010, 12:10 AM
I like pancakes AND waffles! And french toast. WHY ALL THE HATE, BROS

Seriously! Let's face it, all of these are excellent support systems for the rest of this balanced breakfast: a heaping pile, big as your head, of crme fraiche and fresh berries. Conclusive proof that life is worth living.

mopinks
02-15-2010, 12:13 AM
I'm always confused when IHOP advertises all-you-can-eat pancakes, because for me that phrase equates to "three pancakes".

NevznachaY
02-15-2010, 05:24 AM
Guys, GUYS. I love a fresh waffle as much as the next guy, but face it: waffles are meant to be served as a dessert. Whereas pancakes are incredibly versatile: they work as a main course, they work as a side-dish, they work as a dessert; breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Brickroad
02-15-2010, 05:33 AM
I had waffles for breakfast this morning.

I regret nothing.

Kirin
02-15-2010, 06:17 AM
I love crepes. Why does it seem like every place I visit has awesome crepes places and yet there's not one anywhere near where I live?

dwolfe
02-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Guys, GUYS. I love a fresh waffle as much as the next guy, but face it: waffles are meant to be served as a dessert. Whereas pancakes are incredibly versatile: they work as a main course, they work as a side-dish, they work as a dessert; breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Waffle + ice cream = WIN

The-Bavis
02-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Gingerbread pancakes!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_u91Rmascp2o/R2V7KCyylcI/AAAAAAAABi8/OehhY6i-w3o/s400/gingerbreadpancakes.jpg

Recipe (http://www.kerbeylanecafe.com/pancake-recipes)

Comb Stranger
02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Strawberry blintzes.

http://www.elfsar.com/images/Belt_Closeup.jpg

Alixsar
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
You have never been more right, pancakes just don't have that epic crunch among other things.

It's not even just that waffles are crunchy, it's that pancakes have the most disgusting consistency. Pancakes are just disgusting. I mean, have you ever seen pancake batter? Is that food to you? If so, what the fuck is wrong with you? It's horrifying. Just a massive blob of fat and barf. And then you heat it up, and that's breakfast? Disgusting!

Yes, I know waffles are made from the same damn thing, but waffles have the aforementioned awesome crunch. Pancakes don't. If I'm going eat something as disgusting as fried batter, it's got to do more than "just is kind of there and vaguely feels like a fat person's belly if you touch it." At least waffles have "dude bite this it is so crunchy and the squares hold the syrup its amazing".

estragon
02-15-2010, 10:40 PM
the squares hold the syrup

This is why I will always like waffles better. It allows for more control re: toppings.

I still like pancakes though, and I think I might make them for dinner tonight.

Red Hedgehog
02-15-2010, 10:45 PM
It's not even just that waffles are crunchy, it's that pancakes have the most disgusting consistency. Pancakes are just disgusting. I mean, have you ever seen pancake batter? Is that food to you? If so, what the fuck is wrong with you? It's horrifying. Just a massive blob of fat and barf. And then you heat it up, and that's breakfast? Disgusting!

Yes, I know waffles are made from the same damn thing, but waffles have the aforementioned awesome crunch. Pancakes don't. If I'm going eat something as disgusting as fried batter, it's got to do more than "just is kind of there and vaguely feels like a fat person's belly if you touch it." At least waffles have "dude bite this it is so crunchy and the squares hold the syrup its amazing".

I like how Alixsar doesn't even bother trying to make sense in his arguments.

NevznachaY
02-16-2010, 03:12 AM
So I figure that you've never had crunchy pancakes? You haven't lived.

Dizzy
02-16-2010, 03:32 AM
I like how Alixsar doesn't even bother trying to make sense in his arguments.

But he is the only one who has the audacity to make sense. Everyone else is off their rocker.

Pancakes are undeniably yucky and bloaty.

The-Bavis
02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
All this pancake disgust needs to go in a "Blech, Pancakes!" thread that one of you weirdos can start on your own.

demonkoala
02-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Pancakes are undeniably yucky and bloaty.
-1+1
I had free pancakes this morning and they were delicious.
I can eat a to and yet when it comes to pancakes I can only eat 2 and my stomach is filled to the brim. They are just too much sometimes. I also kind of feel nauseous when this happens.

Can we talk about crepes here? I crave them, and am thinking about getting some in the near future.

Dawnswalker
02-16-2010, 12:41 PM
The only time pancakes are "yucky and bloaty" is when you let them get cold and then reheat them in the microwave.

If you are doing this, then you are the problem, and not the pancakes.

ProTip: Put them in the toaster instead.

cool onion
02-16-2010, 04:50 PM
i always get excited when i'm about to have pancakes because, hey, pancakes! but they always turn out to be a disappointment. but the same is true of waffles. french toast is the only thing you can count on in this world.

BodhiTraveller
02-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Sometimes a dear friend and I go to Denny's, because three AM is the time for bad decisions, and eat breakfast. My friend orders some variant of the grand slam and eats all his fixins while leaving his pancakes.

Pancakes first. Only hoodlums eat pancakes not first.

He is awesome in every other way. This is why we are still friends.

Also, regarding waffles: waffles are crunchy, and have perfect little squares for delivering syrup. This is convenient, because waffles are a syrup delivery instrument while pancakes are delicious all on their own.

Warg
07-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Here's an easy way to make character pancakes:

vCTbR9Taox4

Chu
07-07-2013, 11:58 AM
I used to think I didn't like pancakes, but then it turned out I just didn't like nasty Bisquick pancakes. The pancakes served at the breakfast places around where I currently live are great!

Anyway, here's a recipe for vegan oreo pancakes (http://minimalistbaker.com/oreo-cookie-pancakes/) and here's a one for mint chocolate chip pancakes (http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/3-amazing-ways-to-eat-breakfast-for-dessert). I haven't tried the mint chocolate chip one yet, but I tried the vegan ones and it was pretty good! I don't think I made the pancakes or the frosting quite sweet enough, but it was still very nice and very filling.

Teaspoon
07-07-2013, 01:04 PM
No one has mentioned blintzes yet in this thread. Blintz blintz blintz. Delicious with cheese. But only from genuine Ukrainian/Polish restaurants, the frozen supermarket kind are nasty.

Daikaiju
07-10-2013, 08:06 PM
Dutch Baby, the perfect middle between waffle and pancake.

http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/Daikaiju_photo/dutch_baby-thumb_zpsed0f2913.jpghttp://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww181/Daikaiju_photo/dutch-baby_3-540x361_zpsca7e7319.jpg

Paul le Fou
07-11-2013, 12:57 AM
we used to call these German Pancakes. I think it's the same thing. They were my absolute FAVORITE.

upupdowndown
07-11-2013, 07:34 AM
yeah, dutch babies are really fun to make and versatile. i've made them sweet (http://www.talking-time.net/showpost.php?p=1234098&postcount=981) and I've made them savory (http://www.talking-time.net/showpost.php?p=1351101&postcount=1173).

Falselogic
07-11-2013, 10:37 AM
now I want waffles, again.