PDA

View Full Version : Mafia 2: The Sign-upening

Brickroad
02-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Did you participate in or follow the incredible Mafia Game thread (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=9425)? Want to get in on the action in Round Two? Here are the steps:

1) Post in this thread saying "I WANT TO PLAY".
2) Vote in the poll to determine who our next GM is going to be.

That's it! I look forward to whacking each and every one of you.

(Poll will remain open for 72 hours.)

Destil
02-23-2010, 05:32 PM
"And my sword!"

.. no, wait. That's not right.

Thanks for takin' the lead on this one, Brick

dwolfe
02-23-2010, 05:35 PM
"I WANT TO PLAY" (die)

Guesty
02-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I'll play. Hopefully I'll do better this time!

Also, I wouldn't mind if Brickroad was our GM if he wants to be.
________
Zoloft Settlements (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

Loki
02-23-2010, 05:37 PM
I WANT TO PLAY!

Paul le Fou
02-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I want to play (if I don't get to narrate)

Sprite
02-23-2010, 05:47 PM
I WANT TO PLAY

Aeonus
02-23-2010, 05:47 PM
I want to play. Judging by the response in the other thread this game's gonna be considerably larger than the first one.

Garrison
02-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I got a good feeling! Sign me up.

gamin
02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
I have plenty of free time and the first game has been a lot of fun to follow, so I want to play!

Rai
02-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Good sir, I wish to partake of these proceedings, if I may. A good, rollicking game of lynch the civvie always manages to amuse me.

Lucas
02-23-2010, 06:12 PM
I think Brickroad didn't put himself on the list just to make people type out his name to vote for him, which I'm doing (because no one should have to play against him), for the ego trip. Or maybe he just doesn't want to narrate because he wants to play, I dunno.

Ereror
02-23-2010, 06:13 PM
I WANT TO PLAY EVEN THOUGH I AM TERRIBLE AT MAFIA GAMES.

Brickroad
02-23-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah I don't really want to be GM.

shivam
02-23-2010, 06:18 PM
i'm in.

Nerdy
02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I want in!

Kylie
02-23-2010, 06:34 PM
I want a piece of this.

kaisel
02-23-2010, 06:45 PM
I'm in.

PapillonReel
02-23-2010, 06:58 PM
I WANT TO PLAY

Papilan Rell

FFFFFFFF-

dtsund
02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I WANT TO PLAY

Also, I don't recall saying I wanted to run game 2...

Umby
02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
I want to play! :D No dying this time, this is the new and approved less bloodthirsty me.

Brickroad
02-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I WANT TO PLAY

I don't either.

Marion
02-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Hell yeah, no posts from me before this and a forum full of newbies to the game? No freakin way am I missing this.

I did read both threads, so you don't have to worry.

Comb Stranger
02-23-2010, 07:15 PM
I will have my revenge!

Silent Noise
02-23-2010, 07:17 PM
M...Marion!?!?

Gentlemen I have played against this man elsewhere, (I think it's him.) I have but one thing to say.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUU-

Oh yes, I want to play and we are all screwed if playing on the wrong team.

DemoWeasel
02-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I'll try.

BodhiTraveller
02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
I WANT TO PLAY!

Reading the thread rekindled my love for the game after two many sessions of "person is too talkative / quiet / I heard rustling during night so they must be mafia" type games.

I also agree with Lucas: the best GM would be Brickroad, because the game would take on a totally different flavor without its MVP. Considering those who actually threw their hat in I choose Merus, for mostly the same reason.

McDohl
02-23-2010, 07:33 PM
My curiosity has piqued. I would like to play.

SuperRube
02-23-2010, 07:42 PM
I WOULD VERY MUCH LIKE TO GET MURDERED GOOD SIR. :(

Eddie
02-23-2010, 08:02 PM
THE NIGHT WILL LEARN TO FEAR ME (this time)!

- Eddie

Marion
02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Because I'm such a nice guy I'll make a list of who wants in,

Here ya go.

1. Brickroad.
2. Destil.
3. Nich. (Not allowed to leave.)
4. dwolfe.
5. Guesty.
6. Loki.
7. Paul le fou. (Depends on GM)
8. LilspriteX.
9. Aeonus.
10. Ironz.
11. Gamin.
12. Rai.
13. Epithet.
14. Shivam.
15. Alice.
16. Byron.
17. Kaisel.
18. Patpillsoneel.
19. Dtsund. (Depends on GM.)
20. Umby. (less bloodthirsty edition.)
21. Marion. (Perhaps saying this one wasn't needed.)
22. Comb Stranger.
23. Silent Noise.
24. Shinji-Fox.
25. Bohditraveler.
26. Mcdohl.
27. SuperRube.
28. Eddie. He's secretly Batman.
29. Merus. (Depends on GM.)
30. Vaterite. (Not worthy of trust, apparently.)
31. Phantoon.
32. Specbebop.
33. Torgo.
34. Tock.
35. Vorpeledge.
36. Traumadore.
37. SpoonyGundam,
38. DarkBlueFlannel.
39. Mr. J.
40. Alpha Werewolf.
41. Spineshark.

Ain't I a sweetheart? Lulling you all into a false sense of security.

Merus
02-23-2010, 08:24 PM
I WANT TO PLAY

I was under the impression that you wanted someone else to run game 2 so you could play in it.

Well anyway in the extremely unlikely event that I'm not GM, I'll play.

I like how spelling PatapillionReal's name wrong has become a thing.

vaterite
02-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Count me in again. I plan on being worthy of everyone's lack of trust.

Lucas
02-23-2010, 08:31 PM
Because I'm such a nice guy I'll make a list of who wants in,

Here ya go.

1. Brickroad.
2. Destil.
3. Nich.
4. dwolfe.
5. Guesty.
6. Loki.
7. Paul le fou. (Depends on GM)
8. LilspriteX.
9. Aeonus.
10. Ironz.
11. Gamin.
12. Rai.
13. Lucas.
14. Ereror.
15. Shivam.
16. Alice.
17. Byron.
18. Kaisel.
19. Patpillsoneel.
20. Dtsund. (Depends on GM.)
21. Umby. (less bloodthirsty edition.)
22. Marion. (Perhaps saying this one wasn't needed.)
23. Comb Stranger.
24. Silent Noise.
25. Shinji-Fox.
26. Bohditraveler.
27. Mcdohl.
28. SuperRube.
29. Eddie. He's secretly Batman.
30. Merus. (Depends on GM.)
31. Vaterite. (Not worthy of trust, apparently.)

Ain't I a sweetheart? Lulling you all into a false sense of security.

If I wanted in I would have said so in my post.

dtsund
02-23-2010, 08:52 PM
Okay, this seems like the right place to put this.

DTSUND'S MAFIA SCRIPT OF ADEQUATE RANDOMIZATION

Here's a relatively simple, easy way to randomize the roles, for Merus whoever runs the next game.

Step 1: Download/install the Python interpreter (http://www.python.org/download/) for your OS of choice, if you do not already have such on your computer.

Step 2: Open a plain text editor (Notepad, Wordpad, etc.), and paste the following code in. Save the result as something like MafiaRoles.py (only the .py part is important).

import random

print "Please enter the roles to be used. RoleName # will be treated as entering"
print "RoleName that number of times. Do not include spaces in role names."
print "Blank input proceeds to next step."

roleList = []
inputString = raw_input()
numPlayers = 0
while not inputString is "":
if inputString.count(" "):
role = inputString.split()[0]
number = int(inputString.split()[1])
for i in range(number):
roleList.append(role)
numPlayers = numPlayers + number
else:
roleList.append(inputString)
numPlayers = numPlayers + 1

inputString = raw_input()

print "Enter the player names one by one, hitting enter/return after each one:"
playerList = []

for i in range(numPlayers):
playerList.append(raw_input())

print "Outputting results:"
print ""
for i in range(numPlayers):
print playerList.pop(random.randint(0,len(playerList)-1)), "is", roleList[i]

raw_input("Press enter to terminate.")

Step 3: Double-click the MafiaRoles.py file to run the script.

From here it's straightforward, but I'll go through it anyway: you will see a window appear containing something like this:

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/dtsund/MafiaRoles1.png

Type in the roles you'll be using, putting on each line one role and the number of people in that role, as follows (note: role names can only be one word).

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/dtsund/MafiaRoles2.png

Enter a blank line when you've added all the roles you will. The window will then ask for the names of the players, which you provide. No need to manually terminate this with a blank line; the program knows how many people are playing based on the numbers you provided in the first part.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/dtsund/MafiaRoles3.png

After entering the last name, the program will automatically print a randomized pairing of people with roles.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab252/dtsund/MafiaRoles4.png

Note them, and close the window when you want.

(I didn't show it, but it is possible to scroll up to see previous stuff in the window, so you'll be able to see everyone when you put in all 30-odd people that'll be in this game.)

Eddie
02-23-2010, 09:20 PM
I accuse Brickroad.

Gut feeling!

- Eddie

Tanto
02-23-2010, 09:36 PM
I like how spelling PatapillionReal's name wrong has become a thing.

Me too. My only fear is that we'll quickly run out of, um, "variant" spellings that are also recognizable. That's me, always thinking long-term with my memes.

Anyway, as I said in the other thread, I will be spectating this go-round. A forty-player social game seems just a touch too chaotic for me.

Lucas
02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I like how Comb Stranger actually did end up an angel that time.

Brickroad
02-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Me too. My only fear is that we'll quickly run out of, um, "variant" spellings that are also recognizable. That's me, always thinking long-term with my memes.

http://i614.photobucket.com/albums/tt226/rscibbe/percyreel.jpg
Hey Boss, I'm PersimmonReel!

PapillonReel
02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey guys this is pretty funny NO WAIT IT'S NOT

Destil
02-23-2010, 09:52 PM
People in my forums were going to let's play some games, but they dropped them..

Marion
02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Yeah, hmm. I really wanted to play, but even if we cut off admissions now and ended up with a 30-player game, that might end up a bit much. Should we split into two groups? I think two twenty-player games would be more manageable.

Correct sir, smaller games are very fun, but a 40 person game is perfect for say after everyone has a couple games under their belts, but yes I move that we split into two games, if it does reach fourty that is, 15 person games are a tad too small.

Phantoon
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
I'm definitely up for game 2.

Brickroad
02-23-2010, 10:08 PM
I don't really see how a game can get too big, provided the number of mobsters scales up to compensate. (Say, one mafia for every five or six citizens.) I don't even believe the number of power players would have to scale up in the same way.

Of course it's the GM's call.

Brickroad
02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
In terms of game mechanics, sure, but I'm mainly thinking of how hard it would be to keep up with the flow of discussion with 40 people posting new messages every few minutes.

Honestly? I'm looking forward to the pure chaos and cacophony of it all. It's an environment both wily citizens and clever mafia can thrive in.

Paul le Fou
02-23-2010, 10:15 PM
In terms of game mechanics, sure, but I'm mainly thinking of how hard it would be to keep up with the flow of discussion with 40 people posting new messages every few minutes.

Yeah, some people were saying that the game moved too fast t keep up with when we had only 26(?) people. That said, we don't have that many more people in this game yet. If we actually hit over 40 we could start talking about splitting (and I'd be happy to run a second game (While playing in the other???)) but even two games of, say, 18 or 19 would be a little on the small side. Remember that people start dropping right off the bat, too. And it's a more chaotic environment to boot, like brick said, changing the game dynamic. For better or worse remains to be seen!

BodhiTraveller
02-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Somehow I don't suspect that things will get too crazy. After all, the first game didn't have 20 active members - and even if votes move fast it is the reasoning that shapes the game.

I think the biggest factor will be what time zones all the players are in. The first game, from where I was sitting, seemed to be played into the wee hours in PST, probably long after people on the other side of the states were asleep, to say nothing of players outside the US.

dtsund
02-23-2010, 10:34 PM
Yeah, some people were saying that the game moved too fast t keep up with when we had only 26(?) people. That said, we don't have that many more people in this game yet. If we actually hit over 40 we could start talking about splitting (and I'd be happy to run a second game (While playing in the other???)) but even two games of, say, 18 or 19 would be a little on the small side.

Nah, not really; the last game was actually toward the upper end of game size I really wanted. I wouldn't be against splitting.

Garrison
02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
I like the idea of playing with a bigger group. Gives room for more paranoia and that of course leads to more power plays and power players. Then again, I've never played this game before, so I'm really just kind of talking out my ass here.

I do agree that 40 players should either be the cutoff mark or the point where we split the game in two though. Paranoia is one thing, but madness is another ball of wax altogether.

SpecBebop
02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Damn, it looks like I'm late to the party; but I still want to play!

Lucas
02-23-2010, 11:12 PM
Forgive me Lucas. I assumed and that was wrong of me.

It's cool, dude. I figure odds were good someone would assume that any post in this thread was signing up for the next game, might as well get that out of the way early.

shivam
02-23-2010, 11:18 PM
i'll back out if there are too many folks.

Torgo
02-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I'm in, if it isn't too late.

Paul le Fou
02-23-2010, 11:37 PM
I feel like the sign-up thread should last like, another day or at least half, to give everyone who was interested the chance to participate. Don't want anyone getting shut out because they missed the little window of opportunity.

Brickroad
02-23-2010, 11:40 PM
I feel like the sign-up thread should last like, another day or at least half, to give everyone who was interested the chance to participate. Don't want anyone getting shut out because they missed the little window of opportunity.

Exactly why I set it to stay open for 72 hours.

If we're going to split, I say we do it completely randomly. Have two clearly labeled threads. Folks are notified of which thread they belong in along with their role in that game.

I would also STRONGLY encourage people in Game A to not follow Game B, and vice-versa.

Merus
02-23-2010, 11:48 PM
There are organisational aspects that I imagine will help - links to the start of days so people can catch up, and the game not having a trial mode should make it easier for less active players to contribute. Also, I won't be playing, it looks like, which should slow it down considerably.

That said, above 40 players I imagine we'll split. Too many players, and it becomes much easier for the citizens because they can afford a lot more civilian deaths. I'd be very much against closing voting, especially because we're going to have people trickling in saying "is it too late to sign up?" We are.

I keep toying with doubling up on one of the town roles, particularly the Oracle and Vigilante. I think adding one more town role will break the strategy of having everyone come forward and be protected by the Angels because there won't be enough Angels to go around, and Vigilante kills will accelerate the end of the game, giving the mafia less chance to reveal themselves. Adding any other power roles seems like a bad idea, and tbh I keep going back and forth on Vigilante. If we split, no second Vigilante.

Tock
02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm definitely interested in playing at some point, but if this particular game threatens to get too full I don't mind going back to lurkin' TT and Mafia for the time being.

this post came off slightly creepier than I was hoping. first impressions!

Brickroad
02-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Hey, anything that gets lurkers to come out and join the festivities is okay in my book. Back in my day this forum didn't do nothin' but talk.

Merus
02-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Seriously, what kind of person would exclude someone just because what we're doing is popular? Parish would, that no-good so an' so. If the game gets too full, we make two games, which will be about the size of the first game.

Phantoon
02-24-2010, 03:46 AM
We'll just have to be careful who we split into each game and get a good selection of newbies and regulars in each. Noone will want to play in an obvious B game.

Brickroad
02-24-2010, 03:54 AM
We'll just have to be careful who we split into each game and get a good selection of newbies and regulars in each. Noone will want to play in an obvious B game.

You're right; I'll have to play in both games. =)

Is he joking? Or is he just that full of himself?

Merus
02-24-2010, 04:01 AM

Is he joking? Or is he just that full of himself?
Or neither!

Phantoon
02-24-2010, 04:28 AM

You made me laugh at work. I hope you're proud.

VorpalEdge
02-24-2010, 05:17 AM
I'm in. Sign me up.

Dizzy
02-24-2010, 07:02 AM
This game is going to slog with all these people.

Paul le Fou
02-24-2010, 07:15 AM
I withdraw from the game.

What no, don't D:

Phantoon
02-24-2010, 07:52 AM
Yeah, don't do that Nich. It'll be fun.

Tock
02-24-2010, 08:51 AM
This game is going to slog with all these people.

Dizzy's half-right, IMO. In my limited experience with forum-style Mafia, having a lot of players helps keep things moving in the early game, where everyone's posting less and trying to feel each other out. I think you guys felt a lack of momentum in the first game that can be partially alleviated by more bodies. That being said, the real action often happens in the second half of the game as the dead bodies pile up and paranoia sets in. Obviously the more players you have, the longer it takes to get to that flash point.

Anyhow, like I said, I'm fine with taking a back seat for now if things seem too unwieldy. I'll just be catcalling from the non-game thread.

merus don't go into the basement alone the killer is right behind you

Dizzy
02-24-2010, 08:53 AM
If future games keep drawing this kind of crowd though, then the game should get its own forum.

Possibly replace the food forum. Ha ha ha!

NevznachaY
02-24-2010, 09:01 AM
A Food Mafia forum. I know their modus operandi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamb_to_the_Slaughter).

Tock
02-24-2010, 09:04 AM
oh, and Nich, don't drop out, we cool.

Sprite
02-24-2010, 10:23 AM
No one drop out. If you think you might enjoy it, sign up. I didn't sign up last time and regretted it all game, until I made it in, and I LOVED it.

Plus, two games means you get to play one and then, when you're done, spectate another. The chances of getting another bombastic narrative will be higher the more games we have, too.

Traumadore
02-24-2010, 11:40 AM
"I WANT TO PLAY".

Marion
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Just to make things more orderly, I'll calculate the number of players if we split into two games.

Current number of players is 41.
Number of GM's used is 1.
Current split game ratio is 20 people per game.

I strongly suggest splitting at this number.

Silent Noise
02-24-2010, 12:55 PM
All I request that if we split is that I'm not in the same game as Marion, I've played with him before and it felt like sitting before a god of the game. Plus the fact that he figured out who all the mafia were by using a seemly innocent trap, and he was a villager.

Merus
02-24-2010, 01:55 PM
But that's not what I meant! I'm not trying to exclude anyone; I mentioned possibly splitting the game to compensate for the increased roster on the last page. I'm sorry I brought this up, I withdraw from the game.

whaaaaaaaat don't drop out. You'll regret it forever.

We have ways of... convincing you.

Phantoon
02-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Are you joining us NevznachaY? It's an offer you can't refuse.

SpoonyGundam
02-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I'll do this thing. I guess.

NevznachaY
02-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Are you joining us NevznachaY? It's an offer you can't refuse.

Maybe next time. You admitted that it was inconvenient for you - now imagine how it must feel for me with additional three hours of difference. I'm excited about this, but I'd be too paranoid about the proceedings.

By the way, I'm surprised that no one took notice of my suggestion: bets, people. Let's turn this into a proper sport.

Lucas
02-24-2010, 04:09 PM
The problem with bets is how little information the onlookers get. We'd be even less informed about the game than anyone playing; they know at least one person's role, but what would we get?

Dizzy
02-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Gambling without money is a fool's game.

Ereror
02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Well, as it turns out, I have something big coming up, and I doubt I can play this game.

Epithet
02-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Time to give this another shot. I'm playing.

demonkoala
02-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I know I'll be busy once SXSW hits (with work and partying) and will not play. ::sigh::

But I do have to say, I'm not sure how I feel about two games. From the reader's perspective, I don't want to keep up with two games and the main Mafia thread is going to get super confusing with people commenting on both games. Personally, I think one game is completely doable with 40ish people. It'll just be a long game... (more reason for me to not play :()

Also, I will be upset if Shivam or Nich quit >:[

Destil
02-24-2010, 08:00 PM
But that's not what I meant! I'm not trying to exclude anyone; I mentioned possibly splitting the game to compensate for the increased roster on the last page. I'm sorry I brought this up, I withdraw from the game.

Oh, no you don't! No setting up that "Just when I thought I was out..." Godfather quote. I'm onto you.

Alternate Punchline:

Nich will be drafted into the mafia even though he's not playing. And while he could be lynched, but since he's not even in the game we would never think to. Each night he just PMs Merus and a good man or woman dies at his hand.

Merus
02-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Each night he just PMs Merus and a good man or woman dies at his hand.

He does that already, though I'm starting to suspect that no matter how many I kill Atlas won't start publishing their games here.

Paul le Fou
02-24-2010, 09:13 PM
I've changed my mind to favor two games, largely because with a 40-person game that sucker's going to be LONG. Like, two months or more long. It runs the risk of just getting boring, and it sucks extra extra hard for the people who get offed in the first few days - or even halfway through to have nothing to do but sit back and wait for the game to end, however entertainig the thread itself might be.

Marion
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
If needed shall I make the thread in which we decide on the second GM?

Brickroad
02-24-2010, 09:23 PM
I'm willing to play if Brick's okay with it, since it was him and Merus I pissed off to begin with.

No way dude. You crossed a line and there's no going back. What you did was unforgivable. Pistols at dawn, hombre.

(But no really I wasn't pissed. Why would you think I was pissed? It is all good.)

Comb Stranger
02-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Hrm, Paul's right, and I have trouble keeping up as it is. On second thought, I'm out. I'll just read along this time.

Paul le Fou
02-24-2010, 10:01 PM
Hrm, Paul's right, and I have trouble keeping up as it is. On second thought, I'm out. I'll just read along this time.

Even if there are two smaller games?

Marion: No. Chill out. We don't have a final roster or anything yet.

Comb Stranger
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
Even if there are two smaller games?

I would if we needed more people, I just didn't want to post a list of conditionals.

Marion
02-25-2010, 08:31 AM
I just noticed that the poll is set to end months from now, maybe when you were thinking of 72 hours you put 72 days?

Torgo
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Is there even any point to it now? Not to poop all over anyone's cake or anything, but I mean, I think The People have pretty much spoken.

DarkBlueFlannel
02-25-2010, 05:50 PM
Is there still room on this boat for one more?

Brickroad
02-25-2010, 06:23 PM
I just noticed that the poll is set to end months from now, maybe when you were thinking of 72 hours you put 72 days?

I don't know, it is possible that I am a stupid.

Aeonus
02-25-2010, 07:33 PM
Can you just close the poll manually, or is it going to have to stay open until early May?

Edit: I guess you can just change the close date!

Mr. J
02-25-2010, 07:37 PM
"I WANT TO PLAY"

My family was big into mafia for a long time, it was almost as bad as risk, and I would love to get a chance to play this time. 2 games sounds like a good idea. having too many people makes villagers' decisions take forever.

Merus
02-25-2010, 07:49 PM
As far as I can tell, there is about one day left.

It's looking increasingly likely that we'll run two games, which is good because it means half of you won't have to deal with Brickroad.

I'm happy to run both games, but considering there were a couple of people who were interested in running a game I'm also happy to palm off one to them.

PapillonReel
02-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I'm happy to run both games, but considering there were a couple of people who were interested in running a game I'm also happy to palm off one to them.

Maybe it'd be best if we stuck with one GM per round for now. I'm just worried that there may be some sense of competitiveness between the two narrators, or love lost amongst the players that didn't get into the game they wanted, so it might be a bit early for a two-person system. Besides, the vote's pretty much overwhelming in your favour so why not give it a shot?

If we do cede to two GMs, we should probably do another vote just so we make sure we, the people get the right replacement (though I am tickled pink that some people voted for me :)).

dtsund
02-25-2010, 08:15 PM
If we do cede to two GMs, we should probably do another vote just so we make sure we, the people get the right replacement (though I am tickled pink that some people voted for me :)).

Except they didn't. They voted for your evil twin, PapilanRell.

Torgo
02-25-2010, 09:45 PM
I leave everything in your guys' most capable hands. :)

Alpha Werewolf
02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
I wasn't sure I wanted to play here. Too many people for my liking - I'm used to 12-person games. But now that I've seen the previous game, I've decided that I do want to play, because this is in fact a primordial form of mafia!

No offense, but I used to play with experts (and I wasn't very good). This is something... Different.

I'd like to play.

vaterite
02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
It's looking increasingly likely that we'll run two games, which is good because it means half of you won't have to deal with Brickroad.

Maybe this is a good thing.

I am so torn between wanting to kiss brickroad for his video LP of Crystalis and wanting to kill him for being a citizen/inspector in the last game. There will be blood.

I guess thats true love.

PapillonReel
02-25-2010, 10:54 PM
Except they didn't. They voted for your evil twin, PapilanRell.

That sonuvabitch has upstaged me for the last time. To the gallows with him!

Paul le Fou
02-26-2010, 03:57 AM
I figure as long as Merus thinks he can handle it, one GM for both games would be fine. Gonna have to be on the ball with offset day and night phases and so on though! We can switch up next time around.

Merus
02-26-2010, 06:25 AM
A reminder: the train departs in less than 12 hours!

Sprite
02-26-2010, 07:00 AM
No offense, but I used to play with experts (and I wasn't very good). This is something... Different.

It's definitely different from what I've played before, and a lot more fun. I hope we don't end up getting boring when we become good at the game.

spineshark
02-26-2010, 10:13 AM
Ok whatever, this isn't going to be as absolutely amazing as last time, but I'll come again.

Traumadore
02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
thatswhatshesaid

Warg
02-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Sadly, I'm going to have to refuse this time. For as much fun as the first game was, even for those few days I was alive -- it really was way too time consuming to keep up with all the posts everyone provides to properly play the game, and I've gotta focus on more important things right now.

Though, dtsund, thank you for getting the ball rolling on these games.

Merus
02-26-2010, 07:44 PM
Applications are closed!

The Sicily Rail Extension Authority regrets to inform its loyal colonists that its resettlement project has been slightly delayed; please discard your ticket and await the arrival of your new ticket.

Brickroad
02-26-2010, 08:31 PM
West
PapillonReel

You misspelled PoopermanBill.

Merus
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
I can't PM PoopermanBill, which will make it hard for him to receive his ticket.

shivam
02-26-2010, 09:09 PM
i was gungho about this till my job started again, and i'm no longer online all day long.

Silent Noise
02-26-2010, 09:20 PM
So what day are we starting on?

Mr. J
02-26-2010, 09:21 PM
I would also like to know this? Maybe next week sometime?

Sprite
02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Geez, have some patience.

Soon enough the games will start and we'll all be terrified again.

Merus
02-26-2010, 09:32 PM
We will likely start tomorrow. Day 1 will have an activity check: if you'd like to play but missed the cutoff, let me know in this thread, and if anyone fails the activity check I'll sub you in. I'm hoping the activity check will extend day 1 over the weekend.

shivam
02-26-2010, 09:37 PM
take me out. i dont have the time to commit. I'll play next time.

Merus
02-26-2010, 09:43 PM
Okay, understood. I was just about to send your role to you, as well. Saves me a cooldown!

Merus
02-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Silent Noise has alerted me to a fuck-up on my part: I attempted to send PMs in batches, but it's resulted in some players knowing the roles of others.

I'm going to re-assign roles; please disregard the roles you were assigned in the PM entitled "A NEW LIFE IN SICILY".

Before I do that, I require a PM from everyone that intends to play; I'm probably going to rebalance the colonies, and I want to give others the chance to pull out if they were intending to.

Destil
02-26-2010, 11:34 PM
The Sicily Rail Extension Authority regrets to inform its loyal colonists that its resettlement project has been slightly delayed; please discard your ticket and await the arrival of your new ticket.

Takes a long stare down the track.

Removes a pocket watch and flips it open, examining the time, then winding it exactly once before replacing it in his jacket.

Paces back and forth a few times, then abruptly stops and turns to the schedule board, shaking his head.

"Make the trains run on time my ass. Last time I vote for a .NET programmer."

Tears up a tiny slip of paper in his palm and tosses the remains off the platform in disgust. Then sets off on his long walk back home.

Alpha Werewolf
02-27-2010, 12:45 AM
Silent Noise has alerted me to a fuck-up on my part: I attempted to send PMs in batches, but it's resulted in some players knowing the roles of others.

I'm going to re-assign roles; please disregard the roles you were assigned in the PM entitled "A NEW LIFE IN SICILY".

Before I do that, I require a PM from everyone that intends to play; I'm probably going to rebalance the colonies, and I want to give others the chance to pull out if they were intending to.

I caught that too - I'm actually glad you made that mistake multiple times, because that gives you only one course of action, reassigning all roles.

Merus
02-27-2010, 03:15 AM
The following players have confirmed their participation in the game:

PapillonReel
Eddie
Rai
Silent Noise
Marion
Brickroad
VorpalEdge
Destil
gamin
Tock
Torgo
dtsund
Mr. J
Nich
Paul le Fou
Phantoon
BodhiTraveller

There have been a few more people who have sent me PMs before the request.

Dizzy
02-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Have we discussed putting down reservations for future games?

oh my god

For real. WTF Merus.

Tanto
02-27-2010, 10:48 AM

Somebody needs to register this now. It is too good a name to lie fallow.

dwolfe
02-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I caught that too - I'm actually glad you made that mistake multiple times, because that gives you only one course of action, reassigning all roles.

Clearly, Merus saw what role I was assigned and realized that no good come of this!

Merus
02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
There were a couple of roles I was really happy with; I was looking forward to the West game in particular. Oh wells! I probably should have done a confirmation check beforehand.

Epithet signed up to play but has not confirmed his participation. I'm going to give him 24 hours from this post; the game will start a few hours after. Thanks to everyone else for being attentive and patient.

dtsund
02-27-2010, 09:24 PM
Yesssss...

Brickroad
02-27-2010, 09:36 PM
There were a couple of roles I was really happy with; I was looking forward to the West game in particular.

Enlighten us.

Merus
02-27-2010, 09:46 PM
dwolfe was slated to be the Inspector; LilSpriteX was slated to be the Vigilante.

Brickroad
02-27-2010, 09:48 PM
dwolfe was slated to be the Inspector; LilSpriteX was slated to be the Vigilante.

Okay yeah that would have been awesome.

SpecBebop
02-27-2010, 09:50 PM
My frothing demand for this game increases!

Sprite
02-27-2010, 09:51 PM
Okay yeah that would have been awesome.

I KNOW! :( :( :(

Brickroad
02-27-2010, 09:57 PM
I KNOW! :( :( :(

I mean you just have the perfect avatar for it.

Umby
02-28-2010, 06:25 AM
And I was going to be mafia. At least I would have had an excuse to be bloodthirsty this time. Ah well, here we go again.

Alpha Werewolf
02-28-2010, 07:04 AM
Epithet and I were, incidentally, Angels.

spineshark
02-28-2010, 10:17 AM
And I was going to be mafia. At least I would have had an excuse to be bloodthirsty this time. Ah well, here we go again.
Yeah, we had an awesome team! (Who would lynch Eddie?) I was so disappointed when it wasn't true.

Sprite
02-28-2010, 10:46 AM
It will live forever in our hearts as the Phantom Sicily West game. I probably would've shotgunned one of the angels by mistake. It would've been glorious.

For now, let it serve as another source of paranoia in the true Sicily West. A toast to the Gambler's Fallacy!

Dizzy
02-28-2010, 10:53 AM
I like our Mafia theme better than any other theme. It's kewl!

Maybe future games we can have an MGS theme?

(Mafa = FOXHOUND; Citizens = Outer Heaven; Vigilante = Cyborg Ninja; Oracle = Psycho Mantic &c.)

dtsund
02-28-2010, 11:07 AM
Wouldn't The Sorrow be better as an Oracle?

*has never played MGS*

Aeonus
02-28-2010, 12:18 PM
Guys, dwolfe keeps floating six inches off the ground, wears a gas mask and points out that I like Castlevania. I think he may be the Oracle. Good thing the mafia don't know to put their controllers in port 2.

Sprite
02-28-2010, 03:09 PM
I like the idea of painting the Mafia as good guys.

Brickroad
02-28-2010, 08:44 PM
Man Merus is too busy koala surfing or whatever to fire up Mafia. I hate Australia.

Sprite
02-28-2010, 08:49 PM
GMing is a lot of work! Y'all need to be more patient.
Merus can I still be a special role pleeeeease

dwolfe
02-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Man Merus is too busy koala surfing or whatever to fire up Mafia. I hate Australia.

I'm still, no offense, shocked people were all 'brickroad will be a mafia badass'. Mafia is rather different from your Survivor blog. You can't build private coalitions, or do anything privately if you aren't Mafia. There's little coalition building in general. I still don't understand how you didn't get killed, other than people just not caring...

I guess this is why brick is the master of mafia, isn't it?

Destil
02-28-2010, 09:06 PM
Man Merus is too busy koala surfing or whatever to fire up Mafia. I hate Australia.Maybe a dingo ate your inspector. or maybe he hit is bandwitdh limit

Brickroad
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
I'm still, no offense, shocked people were all 'brickroad will be a mafia badass'. Mafia is rather different from your Survivor blog. You can't build private coalitions, or do anything privately if you aren't Mafia. There's little coalition building in general. I still don't understand how you didn't get killed, other than people just not caring...

Yeah I'm kind of surprised at that too. My Survivor blog is written based on imperfect information and is 90% Monday Morning Quarterbacking. I seriously doubt I'd do very well at all in Survivor.

Plus I was the inspector so I had that going for me.

Phantoon
02-28-2010, 10:48 PM

As I remember Brick was in a fair bit of trouble around day five/six then dropped the Inspector bombshell. After that he had angelic protection. Before that the Mafia didn't want to kill an active player and make the game boring. That's how he survived.

He also did manage to form a coalition, despite the fact he never uncovered Mafia to outright prove who he was. Not bad, really.

Merus
03-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Man Merus is too busy at his new job or whatever to fire up Mafia. I hate Australia.

It's either go to work and delay the start time a little, or skip work and not be able to afford the rent.

The new breakdowns:

East
Ironz
Silent Noise
Destil
Paul le Fou
PapillonReel
Brickroad
Gamin
Alice
Tock
Spineshark
Umby
Traumadore
SuperRube
Eddie
Guesty
BodhiTraveler
LilSpriteX
Mr. J
Kaisel

West
Aeonus
Dtsund
Rai
Vaterite
Marion
Torgo
Byron
Loki
Alpha Werewolf
Shinji-Fox
McDohl
SpoonyGundam
DarkBlueFlannel
dwolfe
Phantoon
Epithet
Nich
VorpelEdge
SpecBebop

Roles have been decided.

Brickroad
03-01-2010, 12:31 AM
It's either go to work and delay the start time a little, or skip work and not be able to afford the rent.

Yeah well I guess.

Destil
03-01-2010, 05:57 AM
I almost edited a post already (6 corpses Destil, pay attention).

Ach, I'm going to be bad at this.

Rai
03-01-2010, 06:29 AM
It's going to be so hard to completely ignore the other game while going through this iteration.

So hard.

demonkoala
03-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Excited. I hope I don't get you guys confused in that madness of two games. Happy reading times for me. Go mafiaaaaa lulz

Dizzy
03-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Oh, Brickroad. You are pure evil.