PDA

View Full Version : It melts in your mouth!- The Candy Thread

PandaBreeder
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
As anyone except evil and disgusting human beings knows, candy is the best thing since sliced bread, so I did what everyone who isn't a E.D.H.B. would: Start a thread about candy (Chocolate is also an accepted topic of discussion). I'll start the discussion with this:
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/products/pocky.jpg
I want to know how good Pocky is without any of the "Pocky is for weeaboo faggots" or "Pocky so kawaii ^_^" bullshit.

Destil
02-27-2010, 02:55 PM
The strawberry stuff is pretty good. Being (from what I've gathered) the soul person in the world who dislikes chocolate in general I'm not a fan of chocolate pocky.

redstuff
02-27-2010, 03:26 PM
My mother sent me a care package with like 2 pounds of fruity Tootsie rolls which I've been devouring for the past week.

Dizzy
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I want to know how good Pocky is without any of the "Pocky is for weeaboo faggots" or "Pocky so kawaii ^_^" bullshit.

Pocky is utter crap. It's like eating sweetened Styrofoam.

My favorite candy is Messican candy. Specifically tamarindo candy. Merely thinking about that stuff causes me to salivate.

DemoWeasel
02-27-2010, 03:44 PM
Blue Raspberry Sour Warheads are so good.

Garrison
02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
My guilty pleasure is Rock Candy. Everytime I see it in a shop I buy like ten. I'm so glad they don't sell the stuff in most regular places.

Daikaiju
02-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Charms Caramel Apple pops.
Also those fruit gummis from Japan. Brand names escapes me ...

ArugulaZ
02-27-2010, 05:00 PM
As anyone except evil and disgusting human beings, candy is the best thing since sliced bread, so I did what everyone who isn't a E.D.H.B. would: Start a thread about candy (Chocolate is also an accepted topic of discussion). I'll start the discussion with this:
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/products/pocky.jpg

Objectively, it's good candy. The chocolate is thick and rich (bittersweet, which is the best kind) and the stick-like wafers are crisp and airy. It's got a very clean finish, unlike most American chocolate, and because of this you'll find yourself gobbling up the whole package without even realizing it. There are many kinds of Pocky, but the standard variety should be fine as an introduction. From there you can work up to the alternate flavors, including a chunky almond Pocky that tastes great but is a little expensive.

I haven't found Pocky in any mainstream grocery stores, even Meijer, which has an international food section with many of my Japanese favorites. Your best bet is AsianFoodGrocer.com... shipping is set at a quite reasonable five dollars for as much as they can fit in a box, and they ship everything well so your glass bottles of Ramune don't demolish your fragile sticks of Pocky. Tell them "mneko13" from Yahoo sent you, and be sure to buy some Kasugai orange gummies to go with them!

SilentSnake
02-27-2010, 05:07 PM
I haven't found Pocky in any mainstream grocery stores, even Meijer, which has an international food section with many of my Japanese favorites. Your best bet is AsianFoodGrocer.com... shipping is set at a quite reasonable five dollars for as much as they can fit in a box, and they ship everything well so your glass bottles of Ramune don't demolish your fragile sticks of Pocky. Tell them "mneko13" from Yahoo sent you, and be sure to buy some Kasugai orange gummies to go with them!

The sole place I've seen Pocky in a store is...wait for it...the Anime/Manga section of FYE.

Grignr
02-27-2010, 05:23 PM
A few weeks ago, I noticed that some of our local Targets have Pocky in the chips aisle. This was north of Orlando (Sanford/Lake Mary) where there aren't any Asian communities or college student populations near by, so maybe it's a national thing?

Garrison
02-27-2010, 05:41 PM
I've seen pocky at a few Super Walmarts in my area. I believe they're in the cookie section, or the foreign foods.

Mr. Sensible
02-27-2010, 05:42 PM
I haven't found Pocky in any mainstream grocery stores

I know for a fact at least one Wal-Mart near me carries Pocky. I have no idea how homogenized their item stocks are from store to store, but you might get lucky!

ArugulaZ
02-27-2010, 06:03 PM
I might have to stop in a Target one of these days and look around. I hate Wal-Mart, so that option is right out. Anyone know how much they're charging for these tasty treats? AsianFoodGrocer charges a premium on most of their foods.

cortbassist89
02-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Pocky is okay. Nothing to write home about.

Whatchamacallits are the best candy. There is no room for arguing here.

Rek
02-27-2010, 06:30 PM
There seem to be 2 major types of pocky - there's the Japanese ones with pretty good chocolate, and the Thai ones that are kind of crap but much cheaper.

Chu
02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Pocky is alright. I prefer Dessert Pocky because it has way more chocolate, but it's expensive. But in my opinion, Yan-yan trumps both of those.

http://www.raizap.com/extradraw/ttime/meiji-yan-yan.jpg

nunix
02-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Pocky is just.. boring.

Scandanavian licorice, though, can't be beat. Had a Swede roommate one semester and got hooked on the stuff. Can't find Swedish licorice around here and have to settle for Dutch, which is pretty good but not quite the same.

Matchstick
02-27-2010, 07:30 PM
I really enjoy standard Pocky. i don't give a shit what insecure people have to say about it.

As far as other candy objects are concerned, after a trip to Canada last year, Mrs. Match and I have become obsessed with Maynard's Sour Cherry Blasters:
http://new.canadaonly.ca/product_images/t/820/cherryblasters__27311_std.jpg

Garrison
02-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Do you know what candy is secretly the best?

http://i749.photobucket.com/albums/xx135/Ironzealot/swedish-fish.jpg

These. I don't even know why I like them, but I could eat bag after bag of these.

shivam
02-27-2010, 07:51 PM
The sole place I've seen Pocky in a store is...wait for it...the Anime/Manga section of FYE.

or any generic grocery store in the bay area.

Sheana
02-27-2010, 07:54 PM
You guys must be living in pretty dire areas, 'cos I'm in the barren wastelands of Arizona and pretty much all of our grocery stores (Safeway, Fry's, Wal-Mart, etc.) carry Pocky.

Pocky doesn't do much for me. When it comes to foreign sweets, I tend to zero in on Cadbury products, or just about any candy from England. Various other European chocolates as well, since I'm such a chocoholic.

Balrog
02-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Pocky is alright. I prefer Dessert Pocky because it has way more chocolate, but it's expensive. But in my opinion, Yan-yan trumps both of those.

http://www.raizap.com/extradraw/ttime/meiji-yan-yan.jpg

I love some yan-yan but the problem for me is that I hate when I can't portion control something like bites of sandwich to # of chips ratio. I feel like I'm always playing catch up or scrimping on the last 5 or so sticks of yan-yan.

ArugulaZ
02-27-2010, 08:24 PM
You guys must be living in pretty dire areas, 'cos I'm in the barren wastelands of Arizona and pretty much all of our grocery stores (Safeway, Fry's, Wal-Mart, etc.) carry Pocky.

That's great news if I ever get over there. I imagine Tucson has plenty of Asian food stores as well.

SpecBebop
02-27-2010, 08:38 PM
Someone mentioned it in a thread a few days ago, but Haribo's Cola Bottles are just about the best thing you can put in your mouth.

Destil
02-27-2010, 09:08 PM
That's great news if I ever get over there. I imagine Tucson has plenty of Asian food stores as well.I don't know about plenty, but there's a few, yeah.

ArugulaZ
02-27-2010, 09:56 PM
Someone mentioned it in a thread a few days ago, but Haribo's Cola Bottles are just about the best thing you can put in your mouth.

Me, me! Me me me! (waves arms furiously)

Man, I gotta find a place to get some of those. They're kind of expensive online.

Paul le Fou
02-27-2010, 10:03 PM
I don't like regular pocky. Don't like the stick underneath. But strawberry and especially almond are good enough to trump that.

Speaking of melting in your mouth I'm eating orange M&Ms right now and they are delicious.

Also, if anyone remembers Koala Yummies, they still exist here in Japan as what I like to translate as March of the Koalas, and they're pretty good. I tried a custard waffle flavor yesterday and they taste like cake frosting. ALMOST too sweet (but not). Pucca is a similar candy and they, like Koala, have a strawberry flavor out now. Unlike the Koalas, they also have maple. Mmmm, maple.

R.R. Bigman
02-27-2010, 10:22 PM
Orange Crush flavored jelly beans are incredible.

Stiv
02-27-2010, 10:27 PM
As a connoisseur of bad candy, I've had many candies over the years. But by far my favorite - and everyone thinks this sounds so weird - is the elusive menthol olive. To this date I've only ever found them in this weird candy shop in NYC's Chinatown, but I bet that some careful sussing around any well-stocked Chinese candy store would net you some (I'm not sure if there's a good brand or anything; these were in a bulk container). I'm not kidding when I say that they're for-real delicious.

For Normal Person Candy I'm pretty boring. I like Whatchamacalits. The texture is awesome.

pence
02-27-2010, 10:34 PM
Comb Stranger and two members of my D&D group claim that, if you eat a bunch of Pocky, followed by a Kit Kat, it will taste like a gingersnap. Your mileage may vary.

taidan
02-27-2010, 11:04 PM
The Ladyfriend gave me a bag of all green M&M's. And she pointed out that Starburst makes bags of red only jellybeans.

It's like they read the candy part of her brain.

Daikaiju
02-28-2010, 04:15 AM
Reese's are the only peanut butter cups I like. Everyone else uses too much sugar. Hershey's Skor (simple thin bar of toffee covered in chocolate and FastBreak (peanut butter, caramel AND pretzels) bars are nice too.

Kirin
02-28-2010, 08:35 AM
On Pocky - regular pocky is ok. It's competent mass-market candy. My favorite varieties are Mouse Pocky (because it has a thicker, creamier coating) and Men's Pocky (because it's darker chocolate, which is pretty much always better).

Speaking of darker chocolate...
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/MommyW_2008/August_09/Reese_dark_1-1.jpg
I recently found some of these in a grocery check-out aisle. I had no idea they existed, and they're totally awesome.

Matchstick
02-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Men's Pocky (because it's darker chocolate, which is pretty much always better).

So true. I definitely prefer Men's Pocky for this reason even though I also like the regular kind.

Speaking of darker chocolate...
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo233/MommyW_2008/August_09/Reese_dark_1-1.jpg
I recently found some of these in a grocery check-out aisle. I had no idea they existed, and they're totally awesome.

I've seen these, but I haven't given them a try. However, it does remind me of something I had a couple of years ago that I'm annoyed about. It was a Triple Chocolate Twix: chocolate cookie, chocolate caramel and dark chocolate coating. The problem is that, apparently, it was only a limited time item. I'm dying for them to make them again.

ecchi squirrel
02-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Have you guys tried the Easter specific Reese's Eggs? They're like the soft part in the middle of Reese's, without the harder ridged part. I love them and wish they offered them year round.

Belmont
02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Oh god, Reeses. I try to abstain from buying them because whenever I do I end up buying them again--but in bulk--later to realize I've eaten two to three party bags to myself and feeling incredibly guilty about what I've done.

Nobuyuki
03-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Now that I've known the taste of Canadian candy no other can compare. How is it the fattest country in the world can have the worst candy?

Gwrrrk
03-25-2010, 01:38 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Spencish/canadasmarties.jpg

I also have a soft spot in my heart for a lot of Cadbury products.

Merus
03-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Minties!

http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q383/Merusdraconis/Minties1.jpg

They're mints, hard but chewy. They're unique to Australia and New Zealand. They are fantastic.

Marfy
03-26-2010, 07:11 AM
British candy! Thank God Publix carries Cadbury Flakes and some other chocolates and candies or else I'd never come home.

I haven't really explored the full range of British candy as I'm trying desperately to lose weight. Blackcurrant Starburst, and Starburst made with real sugar in general is just fucking delicious.

ajr82
03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Now that I've known the taste of Canadian candy no other can compare. How is it the fattest country in the world can have the worst candy?

Glad you enjoyed the Festivus gift! I'd be interested in knowing which are your favourites.

Wolfgang
03-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Me, me! Me me me! (waves arms furiously)

Man, I gotta find a place to get some of those. They're kind of expensive online.

Do you leave your house? Alternately, do you like on the pointed peak of some remote mountain range? Those are in every store that sells candy. I've seen them at Rite Aid, Walgreens, Target, just everywhere.

Of course, all gummis pale in comparison to the gummi butterflies (http://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Gummy-Candy-Pound-Party/dp/B002DMIHQC) I've mentioned before. I have bought several people the huge 5-pound bags linked to above as gifts, and they're universally loved. We brought a big bag with us on our trip to DC and we had people coming to our room just to get some. The Amazon price is ridiculous, though, as I get them from the candy store on the corner for eight bucks for the 5-pound bag. Of course, they give a 15% discount per pound if you buy a whole bag, so another store might charge a bit more than that.

They are - unobjectively - the best gummies, and therefore the best candy. Sorry, guys, it's just how it is.

Queen Possum
03-29-2010, 09:14 PM
True sign that someone is meant to be your friend: that they like the Runts you hate, and vice versa. My bff likes the orange and lime ones and hates the banana and cherry ones, which is the opposite if myself. We still kinda fight for the strawberry ones, tho.

Have you guys tried the Easter specific Reese's Eggs? They're like the soft part in the middle of Reese's, without the harder ridged part. I love them and wish they offered them year round.

Technically they do, as they have similar Reese's for most holidays.

British candy! Thank God Publix carries Cadbury Flakes and some other chocolates and candies or else I'd never come home.

Wait, what? *runs off to Publix*

Marfy
03-30-2010, 03:10 AM
Wait, what? *runs off to Publix*

The one I worked at on the corner of Clairmont & N.Decatur was a test store for the section (and it is a very small one indeed) but by the time I quit it had been rolled out to stores up in Cherokee. If it's up there I imagine most stores would carry it.

Queen Possum
03-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Make sure you check out the herbal infused Cadbury bars while you're over there. A friend brought a pile of them home with her when she was in London, and they were amazing. Lavender milk chocolate was a personal favorite. I've never been able to find anything like it in the States.

gamin
03-30-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm curious, where do you guys find actual, imported English Cadbury chocolate? I'm noticing all the stuff like the eggs and such at my local stores are actually Hershey's just licensed under the Cadbury name.

SwiftTheRedFox
03-30-2010, 12:33 PM
I've still got some Candy Cane Kisses leftover from Christmas time because they are AHHHHHMAZING! Eat two of them every two weeks or so to make them last.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yqJUDIJBLNA/SXk-nGdMbTI/AAAAAAAABTQ/xRCMW2dEcPA/s400/candy-cane.jpg

Red Hedgehog
03-30-2010, 12:50 PM
I'm curious, where do you guys find actual, imported English Cadbury chocolate? I'm noticing all the stuff like the eggs and such at my local stores are actually Hershey's just licensed under the Cadbury name.

Generally in specialty food stores. Either those that specialize in candy or in British goods.

I think you have it reversed on the eggs you're seeing in your stores. It's like Hershey is "publishing" the Cadbury stuff here in America. The chocolate tastes like Cadbury, not Hershey's anyway.

Nicholai
03-30-2010, 01:27 PM
Swedish Fish. That is my go-to. I do enjoy jelly beans quite a bit too. I'm not really much of a fan of chocolate though I do enjoy a Cadbury Creme Egg when the time is right.

Comb Stranger
03-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Most major groceries have an 'ethnic foods' aisle, which usually has a UK section. You can get Cadbury bars, Aero, Yorkies, etc.

I'm a fan of Milky Way Darks, Twix, Kitkats, and my absolute favorite:

http://lawalker.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/raisinettes-movie.jpg

Yes, chocolate covered raisins. I could eat them from a trough.

Pocky is... good. It has chocolate, and I will eat it. I wouldn't actually buy it. Aside from the aforementioned Yorkies (which are delicious), I haven't had many memorable foreign candies.

Marfy
04-01-2010, 02:07 AM
Make sure you check out the herbal infused Cadbury bars while you're over there. A friend brought a pile of them home with her when she was in London, and they were amazing. Lavender milk chocolate was a personal favorite. I've never been able to find anything like it in the States.

OMG, that sounds amazing. I haven't seen them but I also avoid the candy aisle pretty hard. I'll have to look when I'm in London this weekend - thanks!

Mightyblue
04-01-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm curious, where do you guys find actual, imported English Cadbury chocolate? I'm noticing all the stuff like the eggs and such at my local stores are actually Hershey's just licensed under the Cadbury name.Oddly enough, I work at one of the major local chain grocery stores, and we had the entire line of Cadbury chocolate bars (the basic stuff, not the infused ones), though I think we've cut it down to Caramello, Milk, Dark, and Toffee. We've got a ton of Asian and Mexican stuff too, including those weird fruit gummy things.

DemoWeasel
04-01-2010, 10:46 AM
I've still got some Candy Cane Kisses leftover from Christmas time because they are AHHHHHMAZING! Eat two of them every two weeks or so to make them last.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_yqJUDIJBLNA/SXk-nGdMbTI/AAAAAAAABTQ/xRCMW2dEcPA/s400/candy-cane.jpg

Yessss

Wolfgang
04-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I just remembered I have a half a bag of gummy worms in my desk drawer :)

Daikaiju
04-01-2010, 02:27 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/Spencish/canadasmarties.jpg

I also have a soft spot in my heart for a lot of Cadbury products.

And yet, that says Nestle?

Do they still make Giant Pocky? My mom loved that stuff.

Paul le Fou
04-25-2010, 07:56 AM
So I've recently become addicted to Haichuu (High Chew?), which is like starburst but softer and chewier. I tear through it dangerously fast.

Also, mentos. I only remembered them for the jingle in America but it turns out they're actually really delicious. They have cola flavor!

FSS
05-02-2010, 01:09 AM
They are - unobjectively - the best gummies, and therefore the best candy. Sorry, guys, it's just how it is.

Great for Butterfly themed parties

They look good, but I have never encountered a butterfly themed party in my entire life. I'll give them a try and see if they can stand up to Sweedish Fish.

I also wonder how other candies would fare if they had individually packaged flavors... could you imagine all blue raspberry jolly ranchers?

Grignr
05-14-2010, 04:54 PM
Pretzel M&Ms are not like Whoppers, not like Pocky. But sorta bland in the same way.

Why can't I stop eating them?

Daikaiju
05-16-2010, 04:17 AM
Say what? Pretzel M&M's?

Grignr
05-16-2010, 06:34 AM
If you live near a Publix, they have a buy-one-get-one-free deal on bags of M&Ms. Which is a great time to try the iffy variants.

nunix
05-16-2010, 07:43 AM
So I've recently become addicted to Haichuu (High Chew?), which is like starburst but softer and chewier. I tear through it dangerously fast.

This is amusing because I was getting ready to post how Uwajimaya had a deal on Haichuu (which is, indeed, Hi-Chew on the english packaging); a carton (ten packs) for $9. I could not resist! The only downside is that they only had cherry and green apple flavours, and purple is my favourite.

Well, the other downside is that this is too much candy. Too much delicious, savory candy.

Paul le Fou
05-17-2010, 11:33 PM
This is amusing because I was getting ready to post how Uwajimaya had a deal on Haichuu (which is, indeed, Hi-Chew on the english packaging); a carton (ten packs) for $9. I could not resist! The only downside is that they only had cherry and green apple flavours, and purple is my favourite.

Well, the other downside is that this is too much candy. Too much delicious, savory candy.

I just found a bag of tropical flavors. Pineapple, Passion fruit, and... and... Papaya? They're pretty good.

Tock
05-18-2010, 10:44 AM
Haichuu is awesome. I used to think that every flavor was great, until I recently encountered cheesecake flavor. This is because the Japanese don't understand what cheesecake actually is, and as a result Cheesecake Haichuu tastes like chewy, stale, slightly sweetened brie. If you are thinking that this is in any way delicious, let me assure you that you are wrong.

Paul le Fou
05-19-2010, 03:41 AM
The tropical mix was Banana, Pineapple, and Passion Fruit. I also found a pack of Mango today and mixed it in with the rest of the bag. Joy!

MythrilMoth
05-19-2010, 05:12 AM
Weighing in...

Like many, I find Pocky to be pretty bland and boring. Given the option, I'll take Kit Kat over Pocky every time.

Absolute best chocolate? Ghirardelli Squares, especially the caramel-filled ones.

Best candy bars? Twix, Heath, Milky Way, Three Musketeers, Kit Kat, in that order.

Best non-chocolate? For me, it'd have to be Good & Plenty. Licorice bits with a candy shell? Yes please!

I love licorice. A lot of people can't stand it, but I do. When someone has jelly beans or gum drops and they've got the black ones left over and don't like them, I'm always the one who will gladly take them off their hands.

Paul le Fou
05-19-2010, 05:43 AM
I love good & plenty so much. But Japan hates licorice and so it's incredibly hard to find in any form. This makes me sad!

Titiboo
06-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I hated licorice and then I had a couple Good & Plenties and then I loved licorice and then I had a couple more and hated it again. But those 20 seconds of loving licorice were 20 of the seconds of my life.

And no one's mentioned real Smarties?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/smarties.jpg

For shame.

Asema
07-12-2010, 11:25 PM
I love cookies, guys. I make homemade cookies all the time because I just cannot help myself. Soft cookies, mind, because most crunchy cookies (mint-flavoured Oreos excepted) tend to be kind of bad and unappetizing and like things.

Also, have any of you tried these (http://www.lollyphile.com/products/maple-bacon) or any of the products from that brand? A friend of mine linked me to them a while ago and this thread reminded me of them, but, um... I'm just not sure about the whole thing, you know?

Sheana
07-13-2010, 12:27 AM
I've acquired a terrible habit recently, and that habit is making European-style hot chocolate. That is, using actual melted chocolate in my hot milk rather than just some powder.

But it's so good.

Kishi
11-18-2010, 11:36 AM
Bought a pack of Starburst on a whim tidday.

They should really sell packs that just contain the wonderfully artificial "cherry" flavor.

Karzac
11-18-2010, 11:46 AM
And no one's mentioned real Smarties?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/gallery/data/500/smarties.jpg

For shame.

Those are called "Rockets". Smarties are like M&Ms but better.

Sour Patch Kids are the best of the sour-chewy-fruity candies.

cortbassist89
11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

They should really sell packs that just contain the wonderfully artificial "cherry" flavor.
Um.

They did. Do they not still? FaveRed packs or something like that.

edit: further research said they're called Starburst FavoRed packs, and contain only the pink and red (strawberry and cherry?) flavors.

Sour Patch Kids are the best of the candies.

Kishi
11-18-2010, 12:07 PM
Um.

They did. Do they not still? FaveRed packs or something like that.

edit: further research said they're called Starburst FavoRed packs, and contain only the pink and red (strawberry and cherry?) flavors.

I've never seen such a thing. But I guess I don't really go looking for Starburst.

Edit: Also, I admit I haven't been paying attention, but when did Crunch bars stop coming in aluminum foil wrappers?

Aeonus
11-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Sour Patch Kids are the best of the sour-chewy-fruity candies.

I found out that Rite Aid carries these giant resealable bags of Sour Patch Kids. Do you hear that noise? That's me putting on weight so fast it's audible.

Actually, my favorite sour candy are Zours, but they're so expensive!

dwolfe
11-18-2010, 01:02 PM

Strawberry is the one true Starburst flavor!

(I'll totally trade you my cherry for your strawberry! Although the cherry is my #2 flavor, followed by orange. Yellow is just...sad.)

dwolfe
11-18-2010, 01:04 PM
I found out that Rite Aid carries these giant resealable bags of Sour Patch Kids. Do you hear that noise? That's me putting on weight so fast it's audible.

Actually, my favorite sour candy are Zours, but they're so expensive!

Wait. wait wait wait. Sour Patch Kids are better when stale. So are sweedish fish. When I was a kid, I'd buy a cardboard box of each, and leave them in a drawer (bag inside dumped into the box) to stale up for a month or two before eating.

I just hate most candies that stick to my teeth (Butterfingers being the one, delicious, exception).

ArugulaZ
11-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Woo, peppermint candy canes are back! Love 'em love 'em love 'em. Sorry Christmas trees, find some other, non-edible ornaments!

taosterman
11-19-2010, 06:54 PM

Looked it up, and they also contain the watermelon and fruit punch flavors. No deal!

cortbassist89
11-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Looked it up, and they also contain the watermelon and fruit punch flavors. No deal!
I had no idea those were flavors; I thought the only red-ish flavors were strawberry and cherry.

My apologies, Kishi!

taosterman
11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
I had no idea those were flavors; I thought the only red-ish flavors were strawberry and cherry.

My apologies, Kishi!

Much like Skittles, all non-original Starburst flavors are abominations best forgotten and purged from existence.

Daikaiju
11-20-2010, 01:08 PM
Much like Skittles, all non-original Starburst flavors are abominations best forgotten and purged from existence.

Correct! You have evaded Mr. Glitch once more!

Nobuyuki
11-20-2010, 03:38 PM
Special flavors for candies are the best way to go. Original flavors are for people who are bored with life.

FSS
11-20-2010, 05:20 PM
Also, have any of you tried these (http://www.lollyphile.com/products/maple-bacon) or any of the products from that brand? A friend of mine linked me to them a while ago and this thread reminded me of them, but, um... I'm just not sure about the whole thing, you know?

I am not man enough to try this.

Elements
11-21-2010, 01:11 PM

But... but... I loved Mint Skittles... We were going to get married! I have a summer in my life heavily defined by my passionate relationship with Pepsi Blue and Mint Skittles, and I can never have it back! Ah-boo-hoo-hoo~...

Kishi
01-03-2011, 09:08 PM
If you've ever wondered what forty-eight Zagnut bars look like...

http://www.snowy-day.net/grokyou/photic/20110103-016sj.jpg

It's a little bit like that.

Parish
01-03-2011, 09:24 PM
I was sad that they didn't distribute candy cane Junior Mints this year, but given all the food that was forced down my gullet over the holiday it's probably just as well.

fugu13
01-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Heh, tungwene acquired as a present a clutch purse made of junior mint boxes.

Daikaiju
01-04-2011, 07:33 PM
I was sad that they didn't distribute candy cane Junior Mints this year, but given all the food that was forced down my gullet over the holiday it's probably just as well.

Um... They sold those in the cafeteria at my job during December.

Paul le Fou
01-04-2011, 10:51 PM
My girlfriend got in the mail and shared with me some twix and milky way. This is truly an exotic blessing from a far-off land.

Wolfgang
01-04-2011, 11:23 PM
You know what I'm going to miss from the holiday season? Candy Cane Hershey Kisses. That and Russell Stover Coconut Wreaths. Mmmmm-MM!

Daikaiju
03-01-2011, 12:26 AM
Russel Stover?

BLEAH.

Over-sugared grainy milk chocolate that barely makes the grade. How they manage to screw up peanut butter cups is beyond me, but they do it.

Torzelbaum
03-01-2011, 08:15 PM
Russel Stover? BLEAH. Over-sugared grainy milk chocolate that barely makes the grade. How they manage to screw up peanut butter cups is beyond me, but they do it.I like to refer to this phenomenon (in general, not just in regards to confections) as anti-talent. It takes anti-talent to screw up something that should be good.

Wolfgang
03-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Would that mean Palmer is a step down, because their "chocolate" is worse, or does it not count because it's not actually chocolate but "chocolatey flavored candy"?

Wolfgang
03-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Sour Patch Jelly BEANS, yo!!!!!!

Daikaiju
03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Would that mean Palmer is a step down, because their "chocolate" is worse, or does it not count because it's not actually chocolate but "chocolatey flavored candy"?

Yes. Yes it does.

Karzac
03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Sour Patch Jelly BEANS, yo!!!!!!

Wiggidiwah?

caviar.n.cigarettes
03-28-2011, 02:15 PM
I have had a mad hankering of late for Twizzlers. I don't like normal licorice, but Twizzlers are small slices of heaven.

As such, my checkout at RaceTrac today included a fountain soda, 3 packs of cigarettes, 2 lighters and a King Size bag of strawberry Twizzlers. Worth. Every. Weight Watchers. Point.

Jeanie
03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
So I was talking with some friends about the Cadbury Creme Eggs and someone mentioned how much they'd love a Raspberry Creme version.

I never knew I wanted one of those until now.

Wolfgang
03-29-2011, 12:49 AM
You know what I actually really like? Russel Stover Chocolate Wreaths/Nests. They're little chocolate discs full - chock full - of cripsy dried coconut. Which automatically means you all hate them, but more for me. MORE FOR MEEEEEEEEE armph gramph glmm grougph hmm glff argh marrph chew eat swaller

Kirin
03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Was just at a new asian market around here, and had to buy this:

http://i.imgur.com/YYVZnl.jpg

Red Silvers
04-27-2011, 11:30 AM
One of the best parts of working as a vendor? You get free samples when new candy bars come out, hoping you'll like them enough to stock them.

With that said...

Coconut Twix

Delicious.

Shagohod
07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
I dunno if I mentioned it before, but Pretzel M&M's are fantastic!

Rookzero
07-30-2011, 06:06 PM
I like these Canadian Maple candies, I used to have the package they came in, but I must have thrown it out recently. This little one is all that's left of a pack of 15 I got about a year ago.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz77/Rookzero/DSC01535-2.jpg

They sell them in museums or in other places of national pride and such, and they are sweet as all hell, they taste more or less like syrup.

ArugulaZ
07-30-2011, 06:36 PM

Oh, hell. Palmer isn't chocolate, it's chocolate-scented beeswax. They actually manage to sell some of it during Easter and Passover because it's when people are more forgiving than usual.

MMM103
07-31-2011, 07:46 AM
I live relatively near Winston-Salem (in NC), which makes awesome Moravian cookies. If you don't know what they are, imagine ginger snaps except thinner and more melt-in-your-mouth-ey. They come in giant cans of 72, but they're so airy I've found myself occasionally finishing them within a few days of getting them.
On a sidenote, the can isn't sealed up as tight as it looks, so I recommend sealing it somewhere airtight so they don't get all mushy.

Wolfgang
08-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Oh, hell. Palmer isn't chocolate, it's chocolate-scented beeswax.

I JUS SAID DAT

Ghost from Spelunker
08-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I recall in the 80's my Tic Tacs came in these plastic boxes that were shaped like Duplo blocks, but I can't find any info. Maybe they weren't Tic Tacs but something else? I'd love to know what they were.

Anonymooo
08-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Someone mentioned it in a thread a few days ago, but Haribo's Cola Bottles are just about the best thing you can put in your mouth.THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS.

I need to stop going on TT when I'm in a snacky mood.

Also, I have a box of Kancho on top of my dresser somewhere, along with other small, boxed candies from the Asian market. Thank you, Lotte and Korea.

Daikaiju
08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
I recall in the 80's my Tic Tacs came in these plastic boxes that were shaped like Duplo blocks, but I can't find any info. Maybe they weren't Tic Tacs but something else? I'd love to know what they were.

I know it wasn't tic-tacs, but I'm at a loss to remember what they were...

Kirin
05-04-2012, 09:44 AM
What... what dark sorcery is this??

http://i.imgur.com/af0K0.jpg

Delicious sorcery, I tell you what.

I had no idea these things existed until I saw some sitting on the shelf at Target, and obviously had to buy them seeing as dark chocolate and raspberry are my two candy weak points. They're not as good as actual for-real-money dark chocolate raspberry confections, but for cheap-ass mass market candy they're pretty tasty.

¡HarlequinPanic!
05-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Those look delicious, I'm hooked on pretzel myself.

Anyway, best jellybean is starburst brand, yepyepyep.

Tefari
09-15-2012, 12:16 AM
Alright, so Tropical flavored Starbursts aren't that great guys. They taste like I imagine pastel colors would.

Büge
09-15-2012, 07:15 AM
Chalky and mild?

Teaspoon
07-18-2013, 06:45 PM
So they've changed Mike and Ikes to include Real Fruit Juice, which normally I would roll my eyes over in an amused fashion but in this instance has me distinctly perturbed, because now they actually taste of lemon and lime and whatnot instead of the accustomed corn-syrup flavours I remember. Also apparently they're doing some kind of stupid viral campaign (http://www.adweek.com/news/technology/mike-and-ikes-breakup-lifted-sales-and-social-148183) with Mike and Ike splitting up like they're some sort of rock band or something. I just want my chemical capsules back the way I remember them, dammit.

taosterman
07-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Skittles have moved the lime flavor to their Darkside brand (which is OK) and brought back the green apple flavor to the standard lineup. I thought we won this war ten years ago!!

Wolfgang
07-21-2013, 03:08 PM
This weekend we went to Chilmark Chocolates which sells fresh fruit dipped in their handmade-from-scratch chocolate, with blueberrires, strawberries and orange slices in the offering. They tell you when you buy them that they have to be consumed within three days due to the nature of the fruit, but let me tell you that won't be a problem.

The rest of their chocolates selection is PRETTY GOOD TOO.

Guild
07-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Anybody else eat an entire box of orange tic-tacs in one sitting lately?

Kishi
04-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Reminder: eat Cadbury Creme Eggs.

Teaspoon
04-12-2014, 04:49 PM
Quite so.

teekun
04-14-2014, 07:00 PM
This week we bought a bag of chocolate easter eggs that are filled with what is basically the inside of a York Peppermint Patty. They are, naturally, the greatest easter chocolate I've eaten in some time.

Daikaiju
04-15-2014, 04:36 PM
So i found out that the Big Turk bar is essentially chocolate coated turkish delight. How does one have any teeth after eating that?

teekun
04-15-2014, 04:47 PM
Cadbury makes a bar like that here, and they're amazing. But yeah, my teeth always hurt after eating one.

Which reminds me, they also make turkish delight easter eggs. Yes they are as incredible as they sound.

Teaspoon
04-24-2014, 05:20 PM
I have eaten too many creme eggs.

No I haven't. Because such a sentence is obviously an oxymoronic impossibility.

teekun
04-28-2014, 06:06 PM
The only way I can tell that I have not eaten too many creme eggs is because there are still creme eggs left in the house.

Daikaiju
06-07-2014, 04:17 PM
Hershey's Lancaster Caramel Cremes (http://www.lancastercandy.com/home)... Oh good lord...

IT'S TOO LATE FOR ME.

SAVE YOURSELVES.