PDA

View Full Version : Talking about not liking food.

Belmont
02-28-2010, 11:02 PM
I've always been a finicky, picky eater. I've gotten better throughout the years and I'm trying/eating things I normally wouldn't but there's still a lot of foods I refuse to eat. Salad? Why the hell would I want to eat some leaves and vegetables slathered in sauce? No thanks. I'll order the soup.

I hate like pickles. I'm starting to now realize why people put mayonnaise on their sandwiches. Mustard is tolerable but in very small doses. Tuna Salad and Egg Salad and all of those other "salads" can go to hell. I hate onions. I don't mind if something is cooked with onion powder or if they're small enough and cooked so that their flavor isn't totally noticeable when I bite into it. Oddly enough, I don't mind onions rings. Sauerkraut? Euuuugh, man, how the hell do you people eat that stuff? I pretty much stay away from all vegetables. I don't really like most fruits either and I hate how people think everything taste better with a banana thrown in it; but I do eat them on occasion and one of my guilty pleasures is going to Jamba Juice.

I tried sushi once because I feel feeling adventurous. I made a weird face in front of the sushi chef and inadvertently offended him, even though I though I tried to be very discreet about it. Whoops.

R^2
03-01-2010, 05:54 AM
I didn't like pickles either until I had one with a sandwich that included mayonnaise. The sour cuts through the creamy and refreshes the palate. They go perfectly together.

Oh, you don't like mayonnaise either? Man, some people I'll just never understand.

estragon
03-01-2010, 06:11 AM
The Picky Eater Thread (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=9403)

nimling
03-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Ew, mayonnaise. *puke*
I don't like condiments in general. Salt and pepper are about the only things I will use, and those don't really count.

Belmont
03-01-2010, 12:01 PM
Oh, you don't like mayonnaise either? Man, some people I'll just never understand.

I don't completely mind mayonnaise, but people who just LOAD their sandwiches up with the shit kind of make me vomit in my mouth. Just give me a little bit and I'm good to go. But it's something I used to hate with the passion of 1000 suns.

The Picky Eater Thread (http://www.gamespite.net/talkingtime/showthread.php?t=9403)

Er, my bad.

Pajaro Pete
03-01-2010, 03:45 PM
I've always been a finicky, picky eater. I've gotten better throughout the years and I'm trying/eating things I normally wouldn't but there's still a lot of foods I refuse to eat. Salad? Why the hell would I want to eat some leaves and vegetables slathered in sauce? No thanks. I'll order the soup.

I hate like pickles. I'm starting to now realize why people put mayonnaise on their sandwiches. Mustard is tolerable but in very small doses. Tuna Salad and Egg Salad and all of those other "salads" can go to hell. I hate onions. I don't mind if something is cooked with onion powder or if they're small enough and cooked so that their flavor isn't totally noticeable when I bite into it. Oddly enough, I don't mind onions rings. Sauerkraut? Euuuugh, man, how the hell do you people eat that stuff? I pretty much stay away from all vegetables. I don't really like most fruits either and I hate how people think everything taste better with a banana thrown in it; but I do eat them on occasion and one of my guilty pleasures is going to Jamba Juice.

I tried sushi once because I feel feeling adventurous. I made a weird face in front of the sushi chef and inadvertently offended him, even though I though I tried to be very discreet about it. Whoops.

Wow, it sucks to be you.

Dadgum Roi
03-01-2010, 04:45 PM
How can you say you don't like condiments? That's like saying you don't like Eurasians. The grouping in that context is so broad as to be meaningless.

Belmont
03-01-2010, 05:16 PM
None of this really makes sense to me, though. I don't exactly like that I have to be so particular about what I eat, and that I abstain from many different dishes and flavors that I would like to be able to put in my mouth and enjoy; but that doesn't always pan out as easy as it sounds. If anything my eating habits and pickiness have allowed me to stay thin, and it's led into a relatively healthy life style where I exercise routinely and I can eat junk food from time to time without really worrying about its effects. I usually try to eat right though, it's just that my options are pretty limited.

Anyways, I have been kind of broadening my horizons with food and I think it's primarily pickiness in how the food is cooked and not so much the ingredients. Maybe tomorrow I'll have a salad tomorrow for the first time in 10 years? Who knows? I can't guarantee that I'll walk away satisfied, though.

teekun
03-01-2010, 05:17 PM
Wow. I can't imagine how someone could dislike salad in its entirety. I mean, I can understand not liking a specific vegetable but all salad? What?

How do you even avoid eating something like that for ten whole years?

I mean, good on you for wanting to try again and see if you like it, but wow. I'm kind of shocked.

Belmont
03-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah. I get that reaction a lot. When I used to work at The Olive Garden, everyone was like "omg you guys, you guys the salad. the salad, you guys. it's so good!" and I would just be like "yeah, everyone seems to really love it!"

I did try it, but only once. The vinaigrette was kind of bitter, and since I really didn't care for any of the other things that were on in there I decided to eat something more delicious like a big bowl of pasta instead.

DemoWeasel
03-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Mayonnaise more like... grossonnaise.

Matchstick
03-01-2010, 09:27 PM
How do you even avoid eating something like that for ten whole years?

Is this even a serious question? Only in the last few years have I even started to eat salad. It turns out I hated lettuce. If you hate lettuce, salad options that are usually presented are pretty much a no go. I went over 30 years without having to deal with it. It's as easy as either saying "No salad, please" at a restaurant or just not eating it when it's presented as an option.

Pombar
03-02-2010, 05:16 AM
I am still a child within and do not eat my greens.

Ethan
03-02-2010, 05:25 AM
You probably don't hate lettuce, Matchstick. You probably hate iceberg lettuce, also known as disgusting garbage leaf. I didn't start eating salads until I figured this out and knew to only get salads made with better greens. A salad made with baby spring greens or butter lettuce or even romaine lettuce tastes nothing at all like your usual American iceberg-and-carrot trash heap.

Matchstick
03-02-2010, 07:05 AM
You probably don't hate lettuce, Matchstick. You probably hate iceberg lettuce, also known as disgusting garbage leaf. I didn't start eating salads until I figured this out and knew to only get salads made with better greens. A salad made with baby spring greens or butter lettuce or even romaine lettuce tastes nothing at all like your usual American iceberg-and-carrot trash heap.

That's exactly correct. I'd intended to say "iceberg" in there in the first place. It was actually when I went to stay with some friends for a week that I figured this out. They were making all kinds of non-traditional salads w/things like wildflowers and such that opened my (actually "our" since Mrs. Match had the same epiphany) eyes. These days we'll get a caesar salad, if that's an option.

R^2
03-02-2010, 07:55 AM
Man on Brontoforumus I said iceberg lettuce is without culinary merit and got shouted at by some dudes. Now I know I am among people who understand.

Aeonus
03-02-2010, 10:19 AM
There are people who think iceberg lettuce actually has value? It doesn't taste like anything, has no nutrition, and just takes up space. It's just water in a solid form! I thought everyone knew it just a way to claim "I'm eating salad! Look how healthy I'm eating!" without actually eating healthy.

BŁge
03-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Man on Brontoforumus I said iceberg lettuce is without culinary merit and got shouted at by some dudes. Now I know I am among people who understand.

Ohhhhh noyadon't

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v316/buge/reaction/paddlin.gif

Lumber Baron
03-02-2010, 11:04 AM
There, there R^2. We'll make everything all right. There, there.

There, there.

*Coos softly into R^2's ear*

StrawberryChrist
03-02-2010, 12:26 PM
There are people who think iceberg lettuce actually has value? It doesn't taste like anything, has no nutrition, and just takes up space. It's just water in a solid form! I thought everyone knew it just a way to claim "I'm eating salad! Look how healthy I'm eating!" without actually eating healthy.

Especially in the case of the infamous Taco[mandatory partition because I cannot abide a sentence in which these words are neighbors]Salad.

Personally I can't deal with nuts in brownies, cookies, or most other dessert foods partly because I associate eating nuts on some vague level with eating healthy. For me it's like biting into a cookie expecting a chocolate chip and finding a big ol' lima bean. I'm all what in the hell

Comb Stranger
03-03-2010, 12:19 AM
I use mayonnaise only in sandwiches which would otherwise be too dry to eat, and only as much as necessary. If you can in any way isolate the mayonnaise from the rest of the foodstuff, it is too much.

American cheese doesn't deserve to be called cheese. It is a sin against all foodkind.

Lactaid does not taste like milk. I don't care how white it is, or how it's basically kinda like milk. It is not milk. Milk is milk.

Brickroad
03-03-2010, 12:56 AM
Lactaid does not taste like milk. I don't care how white it is, or how it's basically kinda like milk. It is not milk. Whole milk is milk.

Ya'll can keep your skim 1% or whatever. Enjoy your dairy-flavored water.

Paul le Fou
03-03-2010, 01:10 AM
Lactaid does not taste like milk. I don't care how white it is, or how it's basically kinda like milk. It is not milk. Milk is milk.

Man I love lactaid. It really just tastes exactly like milk with a little more sugar. (Which is what it is, 'cause they just take milk and add an enzyme that breaks down lactose into regular sugars. Sucrose?)

Edit: glucose!