PDA

View Full Version : What you eat when you are sick

BodhiTraveller
03-13-2010, 04:27 PM
Talking Time, I am sick. I am stay-in-bed-on-my-vacation sick. I am making-a-call-on-the-porcelain-telephone-every-twenty-minutes sick. I am ridiculous-fever-dreams-about-M*A*S*H sick. All things considered, I am pretty sick.

However, in the other room I am cooking up a life preserver: rice porridge with chicken broth and ginger. Easy and inoffensive to eat for even the most sickened stomach, and packed with all that making-you-better stuff that chicken broth contains. While it simmers I thought I would ask what the rest of you folks make when you're sick. Remedies are welcome, but I also wonder about the stuff you fix that just makes you feel better.

Also on my personal docket: hot coke and ginger; typically for colds, but I am convinced that ginger is good for everything.

Sanagi
03-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Obvious answer: Chicken noodle soup.

Also Coke.

Dawnswalker
03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
This isn't really a stomach-flu-friendly suggestion, but hot toddies are the best for colds and flus.

Sven
03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
And pop a couple of Vitamin C tablets.

But, yes, Chicken Soup actually has medicinal properties. But actually make it yourself or get someone else to make it for you.

Although what I really have the most of is Neo-Citrin. One pouch of that and I'm symptom-free for 12 hours, because I'm unconscious for 12 hours. Kelly doesn't seem to understand that the stuff's so powerful - she's half my size, and I worry that a full package'll kill her.

Marfy
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
This isn't really a stomach-flu-friendly suggestion, but hot toddies are the best for colds and flus.

Hot toddies are the BEST. I was only introduced to them fairly recently and damn. Best thing.

Sick food for me? Soup and toast, preferably tomato soup. I've been mildly ill for about two weeks now, and am just now working other types of food back into my diet.

Sheana
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
If nothing else, just avoid dairy products.

But yes, there is no food better than homemade chicken soup for the sick! Boil up some chicken legs, skim the top, throw in some vegetables and hey presto. Though sometimes your stomach can be too upset for even that, so sticking to just orange juice and crackers/toast is sometimes best.

PapillonReel
03-13-2010, 06:11 PM
Obvious answer: Chicken noodle soup.

Yep, this.

Octopus Prime
03-13-2010, 06:17 PM
If nothing else, just avoid dairy products.

Though sometimes your stomach can be too upset for even that, so sticking to just orange juice and crackers/toast is sometimes best.

Pretty much, yeah.

Except I put butter on the toast because, dammit, I live dangerously.

Kylie
03-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Matzoh Ball Soup.

I make it. It was grandma's recipe.

It is awesome.

No sickness can endure its deliciousness.

R.R. Bigman
03-13-2010, 06:36 PM
When I am really sick(curled up by the toilet while holding a bucket sick), the only things I can consume are toast, soda or some Canada Dry, and if I feel a little better, toast with jelly.

locit
03-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Crackers. Orange juice. Canada Dry. Chicken soup. Pizza usually in the lead up.

Balrog
03-13-2010, 07:04 PM
Crackers, chicken noodle soup and 7-up.

dangerhelvetica
03-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Sherbet! I don't know why, it just seems to be the thing my family eats around stomach illnesses and operations.

BŁge
03-13-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't know how you people can drink acidic beverages after barfing.

My body doesn't like being sick, so I only spend a day or so puking my guts dry and a day for recovery. During the first part, I don't eat anything, because it would pretty much just come back up an hour or two afterward. Ginger and crackers included.

Odin
03-14-2010, 09:25 PM
For upset stomaches: Soda crackers and ginger ale at first, followed by rice and bananas before finally transitioning back to "real" food.

For most other forms of illness: chicken soup. Chicken soup. Chicken soup. When I have the ingredients for it, miso soup (the Japanese cultural equivalent).

Torgo
03-14-2010, 09:35 PM
The ginger ale/soda cracker combo is usually what I tend to fall back on. Ginger ale is room temperature.

Ample Vigour
03-14-2010, 10:29 PM
Ramen. Extra points if you can get your dad to call them "Snake Noodles" and crumble up Ritz crackers in the broth and watch episodes of Voltron with you while you eat it.

Meditative_Zebra
03-18-2010, 03:40 AM
7-up and chicken soup. Maybe orange juice, depending on what type of sick you are. This, and then sleeping as much as possible.