PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Cookies

Torgo
03-25-2010, 10:26 PM
I am eating some Thin Mints now as we speak, and they are so good.

Edit: Also crap, I meant to make this a poll. Oh well. I guess I'll just declare Thin Mints the automatic winner.

Gredlen
03-25-2010, 10:30 PM
I am eating some Thin Mints now as we speak, and they are so good.

Edit: Also crap, I meant to make this a poll. Oh well. I guess I'll just declare Thin Mints the automatic winner.

Thin Mints are the best, it's unanimous.

ringworm
03-25-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm a samoas man. Thin mints being a close second, of course.

Matchstick
03-25-2010, 11:06 PM
I meant to make this a poll.

Fix'd. I listed all those available this year, plus the one kind that I totally loved that they dropped the year after I found them. Razzin' frazzin' girl scouts.

Sarcasmorator
03-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Thin Mints how is this even a question.

mr_bungle700
03-25-2010, 11:22 PM
how can you guys not understand samoas what is wrong with you

Torgo
03-25-2010, 11:26 PM
I totally bought a box of Samoas with my box of Thin Mints. I ate them already!

I'm super bummed that the lemon ones got recalled this year because, while still perfectly fine, the lemon filling was discolored. BOO.

Ample Vigour
03-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Freeze those Thin Mints. Freeze them.

Sarcasmorator
03-26-2010, 12:03 AM

Samoas are great. Tagalongs are good.

Thin Mints are in their own cookie class.

Lumber Baron
03-26-2010, 12:07 AM
Vigour is wise beyond his years.

estragon
03-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Fuck Thin Mints. They're not that much better than Grasshoppers, which you can buy in any Supermarket with a decent cookie section.

On the other hand, there are tons of non-Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookies with unique tastes you can't get otherwise. For example, their peanut butter sandwhich cookies (or whatever they're called), are awesome.

Why aren't those on the poll? I demand a revote. Torgo's fascist-communist-progressive poll is basically the harbinger of armaggedon, and it's also destroying America.

Edit: Uhhh... so wikipedia tells me peanut butter sandwhiches are apparently Do-Si-Dos now? I guess I've been out of the country for too long.

So, I vote Do-Si-Dos I guess.

Nevermind.

Edit 2: Or, actually, it looks like Scouts license these out to a bunch of bakers, and one Baker (Little Brownie Bakers) calls them Do-Si-Dos, but real American bakers call them Peanut Butter Sandwhiches, because that's what they goddamn are.

mr_bungle700
03-26-2010, 12:31 AM
Samoas are great. Tagalongs are good.

Thin Mints are in their own cookie class.

All I'm saying is that while Thin Mints are made of cookie, chocolate and mint - a delicious combination, mind you! - Samoas are made of magic and sunshine.

Plus, as estragon pointed out, you can largely replicate the Thin Mint experience with other, more readily available cookies. The particular brand of mouthgasm generated by Samoas, however, has yet to be duplicated by anyone else.

Ample Vigour
03-26-2010, 12:40 AM
I will shatter your logic with the magic of Story Time:

"But Little Bear!" cried the King of the Forest. "You can get a blowjob anywhere, that means they can't be very good!"

The Little Bear shook his head sadly. The King was so wrong it caused his furry head to hurt.

estragon
03-26-2010, 12:40 AM
Also, sales info from their official website: (http://www.girlscouts.org/program/gs_cookies/cookie_faqs.asp)

25% Thin Mints
19% SamoasŪ/Caramel deLitesŪ
13% Peanut Butter PattiesŪ/TagalongsŪ
11% Peanut Butter Sandwich/Do-si-dosŪ
9% Shortbread/Trefoils

mopinks
03-26-2010, 12:47 AM
samoas would be totally great if they weren't smothered to death under a garbage dump of god damned coconut.

estragon
03-26-2010, 12:48 AM
I will shatter your logic with the magic of Story Time:

This story is funny.

But girl scout cookies are a limited commodity. When it's time to order them, I want to order cookies I can't easily buy in a store, and I want them in large quantities to last me until the next sales period.

If I want Thin Mints, I'll just buy as many as I want the next time I'm in any supermarket. They're great cookies! But they're just not the best girl scout cookies, unless your girl scout cookie budget is infinite and you're not buying them in place of more rare cookies.

If you're chosing to order thin mints, you are making the mistake of not ordering another, more precious cookie.

The flaw in your analogy is that it only argues that blow jobs, like thin mints, are good. But what if you could buy 2 blow jobs in a grocery store for half the price of a single girl scout blow job? And what if, when you bought a single girl scout blow job for double the price of 2 grocery store blow jobs, you were therefore not using your limited resources to get , [I]which only girl scouts can perform.

That's the situation we're dealing with here.

Think about it.

mr_bungle700
03-26-2010, 01:19 AM
This thread is now Too Hot for TV.

samoas would be totally great if they weren't smothered to death under a garbage dump of god damned coconut.

I do not understand these words.

Mightyblue
03-26-2010, 01:45 AM
I cannot eat coconut. My mouth recoils in fear as my tongue frantically tries to remove that gooey yet crunchy shit from its premises whenever I even try to eat it. It is literally that bad to me.

Torgo
03-26-2010, 01:45 AM
Er, I was kind of examining the structure of the Samoa, and I'm pretty sure the cookie itself is coconut. The coconut explosion is the whole point.

I'm now picturing mopinks grabbing, say, a York at a grocery store, biting into it, and saying, "What in the fuck is the deal with all the peppermint in here."

mopinks
03-26-2010, 02:11 AM
Er, I was kind of examining the structure of the Samoa, and I'm pretty sure the cookie itself is coconut. The coconut explosion is the whole point.

no, no, the caramel is the whole point. that's why they are also called 'Caramel DeLites'! they are not called 'Coconut DeLites', ever. because there is nothing deliteful about coconut. the caramel part is just dandy!

I wouldn't even have tried them if my girlfriend (who hates coconut almost as much as I do) wasn't such a big fan! she is a fan in spite of the awful coconut, but I can't get past it. I can not make peace with coconut, no matter how hard I try.

Sheana
03-26-2010, 02:26 AM
Oh, I remember those days of my youth when I was briefly in Girl Scouts, hocking my cookie wares door-to-door.

The answer is always Thin Mints. Also those last two on the poll are new and strange to me.

Paul le Fou
03-26-2010, 03:06 AM

Bungle, you and me, we on the same page. We know what's up.

But mopinks, he's wrong. He's wrong and bad.

Pajaro Pete
03-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Thin Mints are gross, Mint and Chocolate are gross together, sorry about your tastebuds.

Samoas, on the other hand, are The Best and I ate an entire box earlier this year. Girl Scout Cookies are just the bee's knees, and they make the popcorn I had to hawk when I was a boyscout even more pathetic and embarrassing.

Merus
03-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Man, I wish the girl scout cookies in Australia were as good as the American ones, or edible.

TheSL
03-26-2010, 07:09 AM
I'd eat the Samoas if not for the damn processed coconut crap. That's quite possibly one of the worst things you could do to any kind of dessert.

Balrog
03-26-2010, 07:29 AM

Spec knux

Thin Mints go in the freezer, (most) Little Debbies go in the fridge.

Kirin
03-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Thin Mints are indeed more delicious frozen.

But my real favorite will always be Tagalongs. Mmm, creamy peanut butter and cookie.

Dadgum Roi
03-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Tagalongs.

I keep reading this as "peanut butter Tagalogs", and I want to bust out my Charlton Heston voice and be like,

"Girl Scout cookies are made out of Fili-PINOS!!!!"

Matchstick
03-26-2010, 08:19 AM
The answer is always Thin Mints. Also those last two on the poll are new and strange to me.

The berry one is new this year and is interesting in a "I'm not sure I like this, and yet I can't stop eating it" way. The last one was only around for a year or two and this fills me with a righteous rage.

Regarding Samoas: those that enjoy them have clearly suckled a virulent, poisonous milk from Satan's teat. Their mothers have raised them on a diet of thistles marinated in toxic waste and served with a heaping helping of rotting flesh in a pool of fetid swamp water. It's the only reason I can find for enjoying them.

Jeanie
03-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Thin Mints go in the freezer, (most) Little Debbies go in the fridge.

Brother! Nutty Bars ALWAYS go into the fridge.

Sheana
03-26-2010, 09:07 AM
I believe it's worth nothing that while Thin Mints are the best, I'm pretty fond of Samoas too, and I usually hate coconut related things. Y'all are silly.

Calorie Mate
03-26-2010, 10:11 AM
You guys ready for this?

Tagalongs are the best, followed by Samoas. Thin Mints are kind of gross.

Matchstick
03-26-2010, 10:16 AM
Oh, I should have noted that when I added the poll, I also added code to the site to ban anybody that voted for the vile Samoas. Just a little service I provide....no, I didn't really do this, you gullible person, you.

Ample Vigour
03-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Oh, I should have noted that when I added the poll, I also added code to the site to ban anybody that voted for the vile Samoas. Just a little service I provide.
This mod is the best mod.
...no, I didn't really do this, you gullible person, you.
OH DAMN IT ALL

OzymandiasAV
03-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Calorie Mate has the right of it. Tagalongs, then Samoas. That is the way.

Tomm Guycot
03-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Trefoils aren't bad.

Tock
03-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Freeze those Thin Mints. Then turn them into ice cream.

NevznachaY
03-26-2010, 11:46 AM
I am fascinated by this thread.

Violentvixen
03-26-2010, 11:56 AM

Indeed.

This. Coconut is awful.

You guys are aware that they release ice cream (http://www.dreyers.com/brand/grand/flavor.asp?b=134&f=2224) at the same time as the cookies, right?

http://www.dreyers.com/images/flavorImages/1646p.jpg

Dangerous stuff.

Ample Vigour
03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
You guys are aware that they release ice cream (http://www.dreyers.com/brand/grand/flavor.asp?b=134&f=2224) at the same time as the cookies, right?

oh my shit

I am undone

ArugulaZ
03-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Did they officially change the name of Somoas to Caramel DeLights? Damn political correctness.

Tomm Guycot
03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
The ice cream comes in Thin Mint, Samoa, and Tagalog

ringworm
03-26-2010, 12:19 PM
Did they officially change the name of Somoas to Caramel DeLights? Damn political correctness.
No.
Or, actually, it looks like Scouts license these out to a bunch of bakers, and one Baker (Little Brownie Bakers) calls them Do-Si-Dos, but real American bakers call them Peanut Butter Sandwhiches, because that's what they goddamn are.
Same rules apply.

R.R. Bigman
03-26-2010, 01:02 PM
The first thing that popped in my head upon seeing this thread.

Random old movie quote: "Are they made with real Girl Scouts?"

Now that that's over, Trefoils make me happy.

Wolfgang
03-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I love Samoas best, seconded by Tagalongs.

But - as much as I love 'em - I have to wonder if their scarcity and limited window of consumption is what makes them taste so good? Or is it the knowledge that you're helping out for a good cause*? Is the mystique behind them what gives them that little extra pinch of flavor?

*hahahahaha I know, I'm sorry

OzymandiasAV
03-26-2010, 01:49 PM

Dairy Queen recently had a limited Blizzard run of Girl Scout Cookie flavors as well. Thin Mint and Tagalong, I think. It was a bad* time for the empire.

(* - And by "bad", I actually mean "delicious!")

Calorie Mate
03-26-2010, 02:34 PM
The ice cream comes in Thin Mint, Samoa, and Tagalog

Yes, I know. Sadly, every time I've checked my stores I could only find Thin Mint (bleh) and Samoas - when Tagalongs would clearly translate into the best flavor of ice cream. It depresses me. :(

What's worse, my girlfriend bought a tub of the Samoas kind, but it accidentally got left on the counter over night and went bad. I bought a replacement, ate one delicious bowl, and then went on vacation - and her brother (who was feeding the cats for us) ate the rest. I am eternally sad.

taosterman
03-26-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm pleased to see the outpouring of support for frozen Thin Mints and the general disgust toward fucking disgusting shitty-ass coconut barf city. Like Woody Harrelson said in Zombieland, "it's not the flavor, it's the texture."

ThricebornPhoenix
03-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Hell yes!
I did not know that there were other people who froze certain chocolate(-covered) food items before consumption. This is the way!

Like Woody Harrelson said in Zombieland, "it's not the flavor, it's the texture."
He would say that. He liked Twinkies. Freak. He probably ate zombie bits when nobody was looking.

Now I'm off to do some research because I don't remember subtypes of junk food by name.

Alixsar
03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Yes, I know. Sadly, every time I've checked my stores I could only find Thin Mint (bleh) and Samoas - when Tagalongs would clearly translate into the best flavor of ice cream. It depresses me. :(

What's worse, my girlfriend bought a tub of the Samoas kind, but it accidentally got left on the counter over night and went bad. I bought a replacement, ate one delicious bowl, and then went on vacation - and her brother (who was feeding the cats for us) ate the rest. I am eternally sad.

You can buy another? I don't think it's a limited time thing. We've had them at my store for, like, 90 years.

ringworm
03-26-2010, 04:50 PM
Got the very last thing of samoa ice cream from my local grocery store. Now I have to run home and tell my grandparents!

taosterman
03-26-2010, 05:30 PM
He would say that. He liked Twinkies. Freak.

I've always been aligned with Ho-Ho's myself. That said, that's probably because I haven't had one recently. Every Hostess product I've tried in the last five years has been a grim condemnation of my childhood taste buds.

Kazin
03-26-2010, 08:33 PM
Matchstick had it right when talking about those goddamn coconut abominations.

Thin Mints are pretty good.

Calories, though? He knows what the best cookie is.

Tagalongs.

Jeanie
03-27-2010, 03:10 AM
My order came in yesterday. A box of Thin Mints, which went right straight into my freezer and soon my belly, and a box of the Lemon Creme cookies.

Cause Lemon Cookies are great.

Grignr
03-27-2010, 04:56 AM
Matchstick had it right when talking about those goddamn coconut abominations.

Thin Mints are pretty good.

Calories, though? He knows what the best cookie is.

Tagalongs.

I'm in Team Tagalong, also, and a Coconut Hater.

But what's with you guys getting cookies now? I guess the Frozen North has thawed enough to sell them almost two months after Florida got theirs?

Violentvixen
03-27-2010, 08:31 AM
You can buy another? I don't think it's a limited time thing. We've had them at my store for, like, 90 years.

I thought they were a limited time thing.

The website says they're available Jan-Apr, so "limited" evidently means "a third of every year".

SwiftTheRedFox
03-27-2010, 08:41 AM
Well I be! They have Thin Mint ice cream? I hope it's expensive for that would be the only thing keeping me from getting some.

Odin
03-27-2010, 09:23 PM
Samoas and Thin Mints, please. Tagalongs and Dulce de Leche are distant runners-up.

I'm not big on coconut but samoas ensnared me in middle school and I haven't stopped liking them since. As a child if my vocabulary had been as erudite as Matchstick's I probably would have said something similar. Then I grew up, my tastes shifted slightly and they were suddenly the best thing in the universe.

Mr. J
03-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Samoas.

There is no runner-up

Kirin
03-28-2010, 07:38 AM
Random old movie quote: "Are they made with real Girl Scouts?"

I'm familiar with this quote, and I'm sure by now it's shown up many places in pop-culture, but does anyone remember where it's originally from?

Queen Possum
03-28-2010, 08:02 AM
I like everything but Samoas and Thin Mints. Tho Tagalongs are my most favoritest.

Additionally, Tagalongs in the freezer is a delightful thing.

arkfullofsorrow
03-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Which ones are the peanut butter ones? Because those are my favorite.

Wolfgang
03-28-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm familiar with this quote, and I'm sure by now it's shown up many places in pop-culture, but does anyone remember where it's originally from?

The Addams Family.

Matchstick
03-28-2010, 04:54 PM
Which ones are the peanut butter ones? Because those are my favorite.

Do-Si-Dos are oatmeal-like cookies with peanut butter sandwiched in between. Tagalongs are cookies with peanut button on top and then coated in chocolate.

StriderDL
03-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Goddamn it I go to PAX East, come home and I find this...this...poll up. There is obviously a high degree of built in error, as Do-si-dos aren't winning.

figcube
03-28-2010, 07:10 PM
I love Thin Mints. But they really don't taste that minty.

Funny story. My aunt has a daughter who is in Girl Scouts. My aunt is good friends with the priest at the local church. So as Mass is ending I hear him talking about how wonderful the cookies are. I never pay attention because I hate going to Church because its a Spanish Mass we go to. I just thought that was funny.